Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

8716 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 8516
 
[Haus] zum Schwarzen Horn / The Black Horn and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 26, 2013
[Haus] zum Schwarzen Horn / The Black Horn and Marker
British Columbia, Victoria — The Lightkeeper's Boat / L'embarcation du gardien de phare

A rowboat was the only link between lighthouse and land, and sometimes the only thing standing between life and death.

Seule une chaloupe reliait le phare à la terre ferme, et c'était parfois l'unique moyen de rester en vie. . . . — Map (db m99060) HM

Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Franz Marc
Der grösste Bayerische maler des 20. jahrhunderts. Der begründer des "Blauen reiters" hat in diesem hause von 1892-1895 gelebt ———————— The greatest Bavarian painter of the 20th . . . — Map (db m77475) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Altes Rathaus / Old Town Hall
um 1250 event. erste Bauphase Erweiterung Ende des 14. Jahrh. (Kaisersaal) 1501 großer Brand 1551-1558 Wiederaufbau und Instandsetzung einschl. Turm (48m) in der heute vorhandenen Form . . . — Map (db m77606) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Büttelhaus / Bailiff's House
Um 1250 Wahrscheinlich Erstanlage enge Verbindung mit älterem Markusturm Gefängniszellen in Haus und Turm 1510 Neubau 1945 Zerstört, Wiederaufbau 1959 Ab 1960 Stadtarchiv ———————— . . . — Map (db m77620) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Granary/Jewish CemeterySchrannenplatz/Judenkirchhof — (ca 1339 - 1520)
Der „Judenkirchhof” war der Bestattungsplatz der jüdischen Einwohner und lag ursprünglich außerhalb der ersten Stadtmauer. Bereits seit 1339 bezeichnete man den Platz als „coemeterium Judaeorum” (Begräbnisplatz der Juden). In . . . — Map (db m77690) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Jews's Alley and Jewish QuarterJudengasse und jüdisches Viertel — (ca. 1371 - 1520)
Im letzten Drittel des. 14. Jahrhunderts siedelten sich jüdische Einwohner auf dem Gebiet unmittelbar außerhalb der früheren Stadtmauer an. Der Name „Judengasse” ist seit 1377 belegt. Sowohl jüdische als auch christliche Mieter . . . — Map (db m77705) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Rabbi Meir ben Baruch von Rothenburg
Rabbi Meir ben Baruch von Rothenburg einem der bedeutendsten Talmudgelehrten zum gedenken Geboren um 1220 in Worms, lebte und wirkte er von etwa 1250 bis 1286 in der Synagoge und in der Talmudschule, die auf diesem Platze standen, dem . . . — Map (db m80871) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — Schrannenscheune / Grain Storage Barn
Bauzeit: 1586 - 1588 Sanierung 1988/91 ———————— Constructed 1586 - 1588 Restored 1988 - 1991 — Map (db m77701) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Ansbach District), Rothenburg ob der Tauber — St. Jakob's Church World War I Memorial
Im kampf fürs Vaterland starben: Karl Wägerlein - Maurer u. Steinhauer in Frankreich am 2. Jan. 1915 Georg Lindner - Steinmetzpalier in Rumänien am 9. Nov. 1917 David Neumeister - Maurer in Frankreich am 14. Okt. 1918 . . . — Map (db m77712) WM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — [Haus] zum Schwarzen Horn / The Black Horn
Fassade 1549 im Renaissance-Stil errichtet Druckerwerkstatt von Wolfgang Schenck (seit 1499) Mathis Maler (bis 1536) Hier wurden Martin Luthers Schriften und Adam Rieses Rechenbücher gedruckt . . . — Map (db m76992) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Adam Ries1492 • 1559
von 1518-1522/23 in Erfurt sein ältestes rechenbuch „Rechnung auff der linihen” wurde hier 1518 gedruckt ———————— [lived] in Erfurt from 1518-1522/23. His first book on . . . — Map (db m76995) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Allerheiligenkirche / All Saints Church
1125 als Klosterkircher gestiftet Seit dem 13. Jh. Pfarrkirche Ende des 13. Jh. gotischer Umbau 1487 Westturm erneuert Vesperbild (Pietà) von 1390 ——————— 1125 Founded as a monastery church . . . — Map (db m77762) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Augustinian MonasteryEvangelisches Augustinerkloster zu Erfurt — Luther Trail / Lutherweg
The Protestant Augustinian monastery (1300) in Erfurt, a Lutheran site famous both in Germany and around the world, is a remarkable example of medieval religious architecture. Martin Luther lived, prayed and worked here as a monk from 17 July . . . — Map (db m76966) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Childhood Home of Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl
Hier steht das Elternhaus des großen Philologen Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl (1806 - 1876) ———————— Here is the childhood home of the great philologist Friedrich Wilhelm Ritschl . . . — Map (db m76968) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Christoph Martin Wieland
Hier wohnte Christoph Martin Wieland Professor an der Philosophischen fakultät der Universität Erfurt - von 1769 - 1772 ———————— Here lived Christoph Martin Wieland Professor on the . . . — Map (db m77018) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Collegium Maius1379 — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
Ehem. grosses kolleg und sitz des rektors der alma mater erfordiensis um 1500 - 1550 Durch bomben zerstört 9.Feb.1945 Teilrekonstruktion 1983 ———————— Former large lecture hall . . . — Map (db m76979) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Fish Market 22 / Coffee Mountain HouseFischmarkt 22 / Haus zum Kaffenberg
1310 Erste schriftliche Erwähnung als „das Anwesen, durch das man zur Synagoge geht” Besitzer ist der Jude Abraham, Sohn des David. Einen Teil des Grundstückes hatte bereits von dieser Zeit die Erfurter jüdische Gemeinde als Zugang zur . . . — Map (db m82773) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Functional Housing Prototype at Johannes TowerFunktionsmusterbau am Johannesturm — Erected 1983 - 1985 errichtet
Musterbau der flächenhaften Stadterneuerung im Rahmen einer differenzierten architektonischen und städtebaulichen Gestaltung im industriellen Wohnungsbau. Auftakt zur Umgestaltung der nördlichen innerstadtbereiche in den letzten Jahren der DDR. . . . — Map (db m76960) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — General Medical Insurance Building (AOK)Gebäude der Allgemeinen Ortskrankenkasse (AOK)
1930 errichtet Funktionalbau im Stil der Neuen Sachlichkeit Architekt Theo Kellner Bildhauer Hans Walther ———————— Built in 1930 Functionally built in the New Objectivity style . . . — Map (db m76964) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Haus zum schwarzen Mohren / Home of the black Moors
erbaut a.d. 1569 ———————— built 1569 A.D. — Map (db m77833) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — House for the Great Ark of Noah and EngelsburgZur Grossen Arche Noah und Engelsburg — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
Um 1392 Wohnhaus des Amplonius Ratingk 1565 im Stil der Renaissance umgebaut Druckerwerkstatt von Melchior Sachse seit 1525 Hier wurde Luthers Bibel- übersetzung und der Straßburger Eulenspiegel gedruckt . . . — Map (db m76977) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Johann Christian Kittel(1732 - 1809)
Hier stand das Geburtshaus von Johann Christian Kittel (1732 - 1809) Komponist und Schüler J. S. Bachs ———————— Here was the birthplace of Johann Christian Kittel (1732 - . . . — Map (db m77389) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Johann Matthäus Meyfart and/und Caspar Friedrich Lossius
Here lived the evangelical clergymen and teachers Johann Matthäus Meyfart (1590 - 1642) Caspar Friedrich Lossius (1753 - 1817) ———————— Hier wohnte die ev. Geistlichen und . . . — Map (db m77099) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Johanneskirchturm / Johannes Church Tower
1217 Kirche urkundl. erwähnt 1469-1486 gotischer Neubau 1819 Kirchenschiff abgebrochen Dient der Augustinerkirche als Glockenturm ———————— 1217 Church mentioned in documents 1469-1486 . . . — Map (db m76956) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Krämerbrücke / Merchant's Bridge
Älteste urkundliche erwähnung als holzbrücke im Jahre 1117, durch Brand mehrere Male zerstört. In Stein erbaut im Jahre 1325. Die Brücke lag auf der Wegstrecke der ost-west-handelsstrasse Kiew-Breslau-Erfurt-Frankfurt/Main. . . . — Map (db m77017) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Laasphe-Kapelle / Laasphe Chapel(Dreifaltigkeitskapelle) / (Trinity Chapel)
Erbaut zwischen der Michaeliskirche und dem wohnhaus von Dr. Johannes Bonemilch (1430-1510) aus Laasphe Dr. Johannes Bonemilch studierte und lehrte an der Universität Erfurt deren rektorat er dreimal inne hatte Als weihbischof ist . . . — Map (db m76984) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Lehmannsbrücke / Lehmanns Bridge
ehemalige Lehmannsbrücke Älteste Erfurter Brücke, erstmalig im Jahre 1108 erwähnt, 1342 als steinerne Brücke mit 4 Bögen errichtet, 1977 durch einen Neubau ersetzt. ———————— Former . . . — Map (db m77808) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Luther Trail Points of Interest / Sehenswertes am Lutherweg
Erfurt, the current regional capital of the Free State of Thuringia, was established in 742, and with 200,000 inhabitants, is the largest city in Thuringia as well as its commercial, spiritual, cultural and political centre. Situated in the . . . — Map (db m76967) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Martin Luther
Eintritt in das Augustiner-Eremiten-Kloster zu Erfurt 17. Juli 1505 Der wahre Schatz der Kirche ist das allerheiligste Evangelium von der Herrlichkeit und Gnad Gottes. (62. der 95 Thesen zum Ablaß) 17. Juli 2005 . . . — Map (db m77834) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Michaeliskirche / Michaelis Church — Old University / Alte Universität Erfurt 1392-1816
1183-1200 als Pfarrkirche errichtet Ende 13.Jh. und Anfang 15.Jh. gotischer Bau Ehem. Universitätskirche 1522 Predigt Martin Luthers; hier wurde der Reformator Johannes Lang beigesetzt ————— . . . — Map (db m76981) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Nikolai Church Tower / Nikolaikirchturm
Church organized beginning of the 11th century Tower built around 1360 Nave removed 1744 The church has been in the possession of the Teutonic Order since 1284 ———————— Gründung der . . . — Map (db m76971) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Paulskirchturm / Paul's Church Tower
Church founded before 1187 Church built 1465-1468 Tower restored 1737 Destruction of the nave in the first half of the 18th century through fire and demolition ———————— Gründung der . . . — Map (db m77100) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Predigerkirche / Preachers' Church
Constructed about 1270 Gothic building completed in 1488 Former abbey of the Dominican Order with major parts dating to the Middle Ages Work Supervisor Eckhart (*1260 †1328) Evangelical since 1525 . . . — Map (db m77106) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Rathaus / City Hall
1275 Vorgängerbau erstmals erwähnt 1869-82 neogotischer Neubau Neogotische Innenausstattung mit Gemälden zur Geschichte Erfurts und Thüringens ——————— Predecessor mentioned in 1275 for the . . . — Map (db m77764) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Ratsgymnasium / Council Secondary School
. . . — Map (db m77809) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Sparkasse am Fishmarkt / Savings on Fish Market
Sparkasse am Fischmartk 1934/35 errichtet Bau im Stil der neuen Sachlichkeit Reliefgestaltung zum Thema „Die Laster und die Tugenden” Bildhauer Hans Walther ———————— Savings . . . — Map (db m77071) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Willi Münzenberg1889 - 1940
Hier stand das Geburtshaus von Willi Münzenberg 1889 - 1940 Publizist im Widerstand gegen Hitler und Stalin ———————— Here stood the birthplace of Willi Münzenberg 1889 - . . . — Map (db m77438) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Zum Güldenen Krönbacken
Mittelalterliches Gebäude, 1534 und 1561 im Renaissance - Stil umgebaut Im Innern gotische Architekur - elemente erhalten; Waidheimulerhaus mit großen Waidspeicher im Hof English translation: Medieval building, 1534 . . . — Map (db m82806) HM
Germany, Thuringia, Erfurt — Zum Roten Ochsen / The Red Ox
Um 1250 erwähnt 1562 im Hochrenaissance - Stil erbaut Waidhändlerhaus; wird seit 1978 als Kunstgalerie genutzt ———————— Mentioned around 1250 Re-built 1562 in the High Renaissance . . . — Map (db m77042) HM
Indiana (Adams County), Berne — Adams County Veterans Memorial
In loving memory and appreciation for the men and women of Adams County who served our nation. This monument is dedicated to those veterans who made the supreme sacrifice and gave their todays for our tomorrows World War I Apr. 6, 1917 - . . . — Map (db m37026) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Duck Creek: Early Industry and Business Development
Fort Wayne business had a start on Duck Street, named for the 19th century Duck Creek that drained the area from the higher ground near Superior Street into the St. Mary’s River. Along Duck Creek in the 1840s and 50s stood the City Mills, one of the . . . — Map (db m16997) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Earliest Railroad
The Wabash & Erie Canal was instrumental in the construction of the first railways in Fort Wayne, which quickly became a railroading center in the Midwest. In 1852, along the canal at the present-day railroad elevation that borders the south edge of . . . — Map (db m16996) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Early Effort To Build A Park
Around the turn of the century, the nationwide “City Beautiful” movement found local expression through the efforts of Charles Mulford Robinson and nationallly known landscape architect George Kessler. Seeking to reclaim the natural . . . — Map (db m17034) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Emerine Jane Holman Hamilton1810 - 1889 — Pioneer in Religion, Education, Philanthropy, Reform
She encouraged local efforts to form First Presbyterian Church, establish a public library, support the national Women's Suffrage Movement, and donated land for Fort Wayne's first African-American church. The Hamilton Estate on Clinton Street . . . — Map (db m16967) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — First Americans
The confluence area of the Three Rivers was known to the native people since as early as the end of the last Ice Age, more than 10,000 years ago. As the glaciers melted and receded, they paused here creating a high point in the topography of the . . . — Map (db m17064) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Flood Retention Walls
The concrete retention walls at the north end of the plaza will help downtown Fort Wayne withstand future flooding when the rivers rise. They were constructed where sandbaggers and volunteers worked during the flood of 1982 to build a dike to . . . — Map (db m17061) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Headwaters Park
Architect Eric R. Kuhne was commissioned to design a flood control plan that would provide for a park and premier festival center. It could also serve as a model for flood control in other sections of the country. The Headwaters Park Commission was . . . — Map (db m17037) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Jail Flats
Because of the often soggy conditions that discouraged use as either residential or commercial property, the area of Headwaters Park became known as the Jail Flats. The first jail in Allen County was a two-story hewn-log structure that was enclosed . . . — Map (db m16998) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — League Park
The first professional organized league baseball game was played here on May 4, 1871 ending in a victory for the Fort Wayne Kekiongas over the Cleveland Forest Citys by a score of 2-0. A wooden structure was built in 1883 and rebuilt numerous times . . . — Map (db m59686) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Little Turtle
Miami Chief Mishikinakwa or Me-she-kin-no-quah, known to the Euro-Americans as Little Turtle, born circa 1747, played a significant role in the settlement of the area surrounding the confluence of the Three Rivers. He was the most successful Native . . . — Map (db m16976) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Miami Legend of the Sandhill Crane
Long before settlers appeared on the scene, the American Indian people here used the sandhill crane as a symbol for their tribe. Early British and American officials referred to the people we know as Miami as “Twightwees” in various . . . — Map (db m17068) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Pirogue Landing
Terminal point where French-Canadian boats, hollowed from 30-60 foot poplar logs, brought families and cargo up the Maumee River from Toledo and Detroit, and returned furs to Lake Erie in exchange for traders' supplies, from the late 1700's until . . . — Map (db m16957) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Floods
Most often the rivers here brought prosperity. They are the reason humanbeings settled here; established a land portage to connect with the Wabash River system; and attracted the canal followed by rails, highways, industry, and homes. They brought . . . — Map (db m17030) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Fur Traders and the Military at Fort Wayne
The French built Fort St. Philippe (Fort Miamis) west of this area by 1722, to command the land portage here between the Maumee and Wabash Rivers. It was important to the French to protect the area in their political competition with the British as . . . — Map (db m17067) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Wabash & Erie Canal
Anchoring the southern edge of the Headwaters Park “Thumb” until circa 1874, the Wabash & Erie Canal’s importance to transportation to the western part of the United States and to the growth of Fort Wayne was substantial. Headwaters Park . . . — Map (db m16985) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — These are the Hamilton Women of Fort Wayne
Edith (seated), scholar of Greek and Roman mythology, wrote the classic text, The Greek Way. Alice (standing), Edith's sister, influential industrial physician, advanced the reform of unsafe working conditions in our nation's factories. . . . — Map (db m16956) HM
Iowa (Adair County), Greenfield — Veterans Memorial"Lest We Forget"
[Front] In grateful appreciation this monument is dedicated to the Veterans of Adair County who served their country in times of war and peace. [Back has POW-MIA emblem] — Map (db m72442) WM
Iowa (Adair County), Greenfield — Veterans Memorial
Thank You Veterans For Our Freedom Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices. President Harry S. Truman . . . — Map (db m72443) WM
Iowa (Adair County), Menlo — Adair County Freedom Rock Veterans MemorialLife, Liberty, Pursuit of Happiness — Ray "Bubba" Sorensen II

Don't Tread on Me ———————— The Four Chaplains [Sinking of USAT Dorchester] ———————— [Vietnam Scene] Carlos "White Feather" . . . — Map (db m93757) WM

Iowa (Adair County), Orient — Grasses / VoicesArtist - Susan Gardels

"A grass plant is small and humble, lost in the multitude, and unnoticed. Hardly one person in a hundred thousand realizes what is going on in the growth of grass. But for the protection of the soil, grass is just as important as trees - and . . . — Map (db m86940) HM

Iowa (Adair County), Orient — Henry A. Wallace Birthplace1888

Renovated in 1996 Under The Guidance Of Architect William Wagner — Map (db m86983) HM

Iowa (Adair County), Orient — Jasper James And His Family

The Garden Pond Is In Memory Of Our Great Grandfather Jasper James And His Family

They moved to Adair County in 1892 by covered wagon with their young children herding the livestock. They settled on a farm two and a half miles . . . — Map (db m86929) HM

Iowa (Adair County), Orient — Native Prairie Planting

When the first settlers arrived in Iowa, nearly 30 of this state's 35 million acres were blanketed with tallgrass prairie. In less than 150 years, 99.9% of this vast, lush grassland disappeared under the plow. The prairie before you contains . . . — Map (db m86930) HM

Iowa (Adair County), Orient — The Mormon Trail

Determined and authenticated by the Historical Department of Iowa, 1911.

This monument was erected in 1917 by the Iowa Daughters of the American Revolution in memory of the pioneers who followed this trail and its . . . — Map (db m86922) HM

Iowa (Adair County), Orient — Veterans Memorial

This flag display has been erected by the Bank of Memories Museum in proud and grateful memory of American soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen and especially those who laid down their lives in all quarters of this earth, that other peoples . . . — Map (db m86925) WM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Adams County JailHouse of History

The Adams County House of History served as county Jail House and Sheriff's Quarters from 1877 to 1955. The stones that were used to build the jail house were hauled from St. Joseph, Missouri, by oxen and wagon. The effort to purchase and . . . — Map (db m86668) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — City of Corning Fire Bell

Purchased 1897 Removed from tower in Central Park 1966 — Map (db m86700) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Corning Freedom Rock Veterans MemorialHonoring Adams County Veterans — Ray "Bubba" Sorensen II

Remembering Our Heroes ——————— Our Liberties We Prize and Our Rights We Will Maintain ——————— John Thuman - KIA WWII Billy Cooper - KIA Korea . . . — Map (db m86994) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Fairview Church1892 - 2008

[And former church bell] — Map (db m86715) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — First Adams County Mill

Carbon Roller Stone 1849-1918 — Map (db m86671) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Mt. Etna United Methodist Church1852 - 1987

In memory of Dr. H. L. Sweet and all former members of Mt. Etna United Methodist Church

[Former Church Bell] — Map (db m86672) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — The Bell

This bell first rang in the Congregational Church which was built on this site in 1871. A new church building was constructed here in 1900, and it included a tower for the bell. The Congregational Church federated with the Presbyterian Church . . . — Map (db m86999) HM

Iowa (Adams County), Corning — Veterans Memorial

To Honor All Who Served ———————— All Gave Some - Some Gave All ———————— For Our Freedom — Map (db m87000) WM

Iowa (Appanoose County), Centerville — Around the World in 91 HoursHoward Hughes Around the World Flight of 1938 — Albert I. Lodwick

Albert I. Lodwick (pictured at the top of the mural) was born in Mystic, Iowa on March 4, 1904. On July 10, 1938, due in large part to Albert Lodwick's organizational skills as his flight operations manager, Howard Hughes set a record by . . . — Map (db m90374) HM

Iowa (Appanoose County), Centerville — Centerville Freedom Rock Veterans MemorialRay "Bubba" Sorensen II

Brig Gen Francis Drake

The First USS Iowa ———————— Gold Star for the Fallen ———————— Thank You Veterans — Map (db m90363) HM

Iowa (Appanoose County), Centerville — Union Soldiers Monument

Erected July 1, 1869

Bronze Tablets Added to Monument 1927 by Woman's Relief Corps — Map (db m90371) WM

Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — 50th Anniversary of Humboldt
Bandstand erected 1907 commemorating 50th Anniversary of Humboldt Plaque presented to City of Humboldt July 4, 1976 "Bicentennial" — Map (db m57434) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Abel Secrest
Farmer Abel Secrest was shot by Confederates Oct. 14, 1861 after refusing to give up his mules. — Map (db m57471) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Aunt Polly Crosby's Cabin Site
Aunt Polly Crosby, First Mother of the Church, Poplar Grove Baptist. Site of her cabin. — Map (db m57483) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Block House Recruiting Station
A Block House was built here, used as a recruting station, part of Log Town. — Map (db m57482) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Civil War Monument
Dedicated to the Citizens of Humboldt, Kansas, past and present, who believe the strength of a community lies in its faith in God and each other, its integrity, and its commitment to freedom for all. Humboldt, Kansas "A Delightful Place" . . . — Map (db m57436) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Colonel Irvine
Confederate Col. Irvine invited himself to supper at the Wakefield's, sparing the house from burning. — Map (db m57480) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Colonel Orlin Thurston
Commanded Allen County Troops Found dying Secrest Saw Mill Owner. State Senator. Founded Newspaper. Abolitionist. — Map (db m57472) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Confederate Soldier
was shot here Oct. 14, 1861, as he tried to remove Union flag. — Map (db m57465) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — George Alexander Sweatt
George A. Sweatt Park is named for Humboldt native, George Sweatt, born December 12, 1893. He graduated from Humboldt High School in 1912. Following military service in World War I, he attended Pittsburg State University from 1920 to 1922. A good . . . — Map (db m57489) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — German Evangelical Church, 1860
Under the brick veneer is the framework of the original German Evangelical Church, 1860. — Map (db m57473) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Humboldt Underground Railroad
On the East Bank [of the Neosho River], escaped slaves traveled through caves and tunnels to secret Underground Railroad stations. — Map (db m57486) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — J. A. Coffey
Founder of Humboldt 1857 and Coffeyville 1869 — Map (db m57469) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Kate Burnett
Kate Burnett saved $25,000 in land warrants by hiding them in tall grass behind Land Office. — Map (db m57463) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Neosho River Log Town
Among scrub oaks along the Neosho [River], log town housed soldiers of the Kansas 9th — Map (db m57466) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — O'Brien's Mill
Home Guard quartered at O'Brien's Mill. Confederate soldiers burned the mill. — Map (db m57487) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Rev. D. D. Payne1844 - 1918

First Pastor Poplar Grove Baptist Church — Map (db m80597) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Sad Saga of Vegetarian Creek — .7M South Turn Left
In Mid-March, 1856, the first emigrants of the Vegetarian Settlement Company set out for the Neosho River Valley in Kansas Territory. Henry S. Clubb promoted Kans. Terr. as a permanent home for believers in Vegetarianism, hydropahty, and . . . — Map (db m57499) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Sophia Fussman
During burning of Humboldt, Sophia Fussman saved valuables on a feather bed thrown down her well. — Map (db m57470) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget Those Who Serve [Armed Forces and POW/MIA Emblems] — Map (db m57430) WM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Veterans Memorial
Memorial to Veterans of All Wars In Memory of Vicksburg Post No. 72 Grand Army of the Republic 1861 - 1865 Lawton Circle No. 97 Ladies of the G.A.R. — Map (db m66605) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Humboldt — Walter Johnson Birth Site
On November 6, 1887, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher Walter Perry Johnson was born on this farm site. In 1901, he moved with his family into the town of Humboldt. During a career with the Washington Senators from 1907 to 1927, he became famous for . . . — Map (db m57497) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Iola — A.W. BeckNovember 10, 1845 - June 18, 1931

A.W. Beck was responsible for the development of the buildings on east Madison from Jefferson to South Avenues (viewed on the other side of this sign). Mr. Beck was an instrumental business leader from 1870 to 1928. He brought many new ideas . . . — Map (db m83701) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Andrews Auto Stores

This building was located at the corner of North Street and Jackson Avenue. It was torn down to accommodate the construction of a new City Hall. Although it says Andrews Auto store, it was said that he had everything, if he could find it. — Map (db m83602) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — 53 — Boyhood Home of General Funston
Frederick Funston, five feet four and slightly built, went from this farm to a life of amazing adventure. Youthful exploring expeditions in this country were followed by two years in the Arctic from which he returned down the Yukon river 1,500 . . . — Map (db m53285) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Cornstalks at Shannon's

This (circa 1900) photo was taken in front of TB Shannon's business. Note the size of the cornstalks. — Map (db m83609) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Doctor O.L. Garlinghouse(1870 - 1949)

Dr. O.L. Garlinghouse was believed to be ahead of his time in his medical practice. His office was equipped with x-ray and electrotherapy and was located in the building in the photo on the other side of this sign. — Map (db m83549) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — East Jackson Street Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] Notice Iola's 1st horse-drawn ambulances and hearse in front of Culbertson's building. The top floor, as well as the west entrance on the bottom was used for Culbertson's mortuary business, and the east side was an . . . — Map (db m83588) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — East Jackson Street Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] The YMCA was built in this block in 1907. It featured an indoor swimming pool, bowling alley, and various sporting amenities. The cost of upkeep led to the building being torn down.

[Bottom photo caption reads] . . . — Map (db m83599) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — East Madison Avenue Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] This picture was taken in the early 50's looking east from the Madison Avenue and South Street intersection. Businesses on the block at that time were Cooksey Drug, JC Penney Co., Hoover Drug, Dr. Philip W. Waugh, . . . — Map (db m83699) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — EP Brigham05/19/1859 - 08/14/1937

EP Brigham was an entrepreneur in Iola in the late 1800s. He owned various businesses throughout Iola that sold anything from hay, to hardware, to groceries, to china. Brigham started his first business as a fresh butcher where he sold quail . . . — Map (db m83543) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Founders of the Iola Public Library

These women were some of the first ladies of Iola. In the 1800s, they established the first Iola Public Library, located on the second floor of the L.L. Northrup Banking House.

Pictured front row: Mrs. A.W. Beck, Hazel Bowlus (Tom's sister) . . . — Map (db m83612) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Fred Horton10/31/1864 - 11/15/1940

At the request of L.L. Northrup, Fred Horton came to Iola to drill the oil and gas wells of Allen County. Horton's office was located in the back of what is now the Allen County Historical Museum at the south end of this block. — Map (db m83650) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — General Frederick FunstonIn Memory Of

This tablet placed by the Frederick Funston Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Humboldt, Kansas 1928 — Map (db m94956) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — George A. BowlusMay 1, 1841 - July 14, 1908

George A. Bowlus started the Bank of Allen County which was the second bank in Iola, located on this block between South Street and Washington Avenue. George was one of several business men who was instrumental in paying for the trolley tracks . . . — Map (db m83672) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Granny Cowden(1814 - 1896)

Granny Cowden was believed to have been the 1st white woman in Kansas. You can visit her grave in the Civil War section at the Iola Cemetery west of town on Highway 54. You can also find out more about her in the Allen County Historical Museum . . . — Map (db m83584) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Intersection of Madison and Washington

[Top photo caption reads] This photo was taken in 1910 when the Ringling Bros. Circus performers and animals paraded around town. At that time, the circus drew a huge crowd.

[Bottom photo caption reads] This is the intersection of . . . — Map (db m83665) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Iola Colborn1/13/1832 - 1/25/1911

Iola Colborn was the wife of Josiah Colborn, one of the founders of Iola. During a town meeting, a nomination was made to name the town after her. Mr. and Mrs. Colborn owned land from the town square to the river. Iola gave birth to the first . . . — Map (db m83517) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Iola Kiosk

This 1907 picture of the old Iola Kiosk, located on the southeast corner of the courthouse lawn, displayed weather data for many years and was also used as a town bulletin board. The structure contained about 3,300 pounds of cast iron and about . . . — Map (db m83716) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Iola Police Department

The Iola Kansas Police Department formed in 1880. These are photos of officers from the early 1900s. — Map (db m83603) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Iola State Bank and Madison Avenue

[Top photo caption reads] Looking west on Madison Avenue, you can see the street trolley cars and the horse and buggies. The architecture of the buildings remains the same 110 years later.

[Bottom photo caption reads] The Iola State . . . — Map (db m83519) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — John Walter Scott8/29/1823 - 1/1/1899

1859 was a monumental year for John Walter Scott. He was elected president of the 1st Iola Town Company, was a county commissioner, and was a member of the legislature. Each of the 60 plus town company members had to make a substantial . . . — Map (db m83554) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Josiah Colborn02/07/1829 - 06/16/1904

Josiah Colborn was one of the founding fathers and first businessmen of Iola. He was the husband of Iola Colborn, Iola's namesake. — Map (db m83596) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — L.L. Northrup(1819 - 1896)

L.L. Northrup owned the first Iola bank and a huge lumber company. These businesses encompassed almost the entire block. He was instrumental in getting the railroads and financing the growth of Iola. — Map (db m83608) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Madison Avenue and the Allen County Courthouse

[Top photo caption reads] This picture was taken standing in the intersection of South Street & Madison Avenue, looking west. Notice all the different forms of transportation represented in the picture: walking, bicycle, cars, tracks from . . . — Map (db m83681) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Major General Frederick FunstonSeptember 11, 1865 - February 19, 1917

Frederick Funston was born in Ohio and moved to Kansas with his parents in the spring of 1868 at the age of 2. Nicknamed "Fearless Freddy," he was of slight build - be sure to check out the life size statue in front of the Funston Home and . . . — Map (db m83656) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — McCook Post No. 51 G.A.R. Civil War Memorial
This memorial in memory of Union soldiers who fell in battle was dedicated on May 31, 1909, and maintained by McCook Post No. 51, G.A.R. In 1998 the statue was refurbished and a new pedestal was erected. On June 2, 2001 this Monument . . . — Map (db m34600) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Nimrod HankinsMarch 1, 1831 - Feb 22, 1905

Nimrod Hankins came to Cofachique, Allen County's first settlement and county seat, in 1855 when KS was still a territory. Enlisted into Company E the 9th KS Calvary [sic - Cavalry] when the Civil War broke out and rose to the rank of 1st . . . — Map (db m83657) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — North Jefferson Avenue Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] This building was owned by Dr. O.L. Garlinghouse who had a medical practice on the second floor. Notice the awnings are on the side of the building facing the afternoon sun. Air conditioning was non-existent at this . . . — Map (db m83548) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — North Jefferson Avenue Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] These buildings were developed after 1910. During this period, there were a number of meat markets throughout Iola. With the lack of refrigeration, people had to buy fresh meat daily.

[Bottom photo caption reads] . . . — Map (db m83551) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Northrup Bank

[Top photo caption reads] On the corner is Northrup's second bank building, which replaced Northrup's Lumber Yard that encompassed most of the block. Fire destroyed the bank in January of 1949.

[Bottom photo caption reads] On the east . . . — Map (db m83606) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Northrup Bank and North Washington Street Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] Pictured here is Iola's 1st bank: L.L. Northrup Banking House. It was one of the 1st buildings on the square. The second story housed the 1st Iola Library.

[Bottom photo caption reads] An early 1900s view of . . . — Map (db m83617) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — South Jefferson Avenue Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] East Side Cafe became Harts Lunch by the 1940s and was a local teenage hangout. Both restaurants were a favorite for homemade hamburgers and pies.

[Bottom photo caption reads] Originally, this building had a . . . — Map (db m83545) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — South Jefferson Avenue Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] This photo was taken looking north on Jefferson Avenue. The building on the corner was the 2nd building for the Allen County Courthouse in Iola. Notice the brick streets. Iola housed numerous brick plants during this . . . — Map (db m83715) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — South Washington Street Businesses

[Top photo caption reads] This view is looking north on Washington Avenue from Madison Avenue. These buildings are made of stone and wood, as many buildings were prior to the many brick plants of Iola. Notice the wood plank sidewalks. This . . . — Map (db m83648) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — T. B. Shannon General Merchandise

[Top photo caption reads] T.B. Shannon is pictured on the left. He was a very innovative businessman of the times. His first business was a hardware store, which sold merchandise of all kinds. Through the years, his inventory included . . . — Map (db m83610) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Town of Iola
When the town of Iola was organized in January, 1859 Josiah E. Colborn was one of the founders who named the town after Mrs. Colburn whose given name was Iola She and her husband rest here This tablet is . . . — Map (db m34607) HM
Kansas (Allen County), Iola — Views of Madison Avenue

[Top photo caption reads] This photo was taken in the 1800s of the 2 block area on the south side of the square before the first courthouse was constructed in the center.

[Bottom photo caption reads] 1900 photo is taken of a . . . — Map (db m83651) HM

Kansas (Allen County), Iola — World Wars Memorial
1917 - 1918 The American Legion In memory of those whose final resting place is known to God alone U.S. Army James E. Cook 1944 • Rex L. Johnson 1944 A. W. Redding Jr. 1943 • Joseph H. Wood 1942 U.S. Navy Howard N. Belvoir . . . — Map (db m72039) WM
Kansas (Allen County), Moran — Civil War Memorial
In memory of Our Fallen Comrades May 30, 1893 — Map (db m71279) WM
Kansas (Anderson County), Garnett — Anderson County Courthouse

National Register of Historic Places

A Bicentennial Gift of Four Winds Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1974 ————————— The Anderson County Courthouse 100 Year . . . — Map (db m89198) HM

Kansas (Anderson County), Garnett — Civil War Memorial
In memory of our soldiers who fought in the Great Rebellion of 1861 and 1865 — Map (db m72040) WM
Kansas (Anderson County), Garnett — Garnett Caboose

This ATSF caboose was located in a rail yard in East St. Louis, Illinois. It was owned by the Kansas City Southern Lines and was given to the Garnett, Kansas Lions club. The Lions with financial assistance from the Lake Garnett Racing Assn. . . . — Map (db m89209) HM

Kansas (Anderson County), Garnett — Replica of the Statue of Liberty

Presented to The Citizens of Garnett by Ben and Lena Kay honoring Garnett Boy Scout Troop No. 126

July 4, 1950 — Map (db m89195) HM

Kansas (Anderson County), Garnett — World War Veterans Memorial

In memory of our World War Veterans from Anderson Co. — Map (db m89199) WM

Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — "Grand Village des Canzes"Atchison County Historic Site — Lifeways of the Kanza
Independence Creek was noted as the main settlement of the Kanza Tribe as far back as 1673. By the time French explorer Etienne Veniard de Bourgmont arrived in 1724 this was considered an old village and the capital of the Kanza nation. This . . . — Map (db m52993) HM
Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — "the water...contains a half...Glass of ooze"
"The water we drink or the Common water of the missourie at this time, contains a half a Comm Wine Glass of ooze or mud to every pint-" William Clark June 21, 1804 The Missouri River of Lewis and Clark's era was wild and unpredictable. It . . . — Map (db m44801) HM
Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — "this day being...the 4th of July"
The U.S. Army expedition led by Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark camped in this vicinity on July 4, 1804. In honor of the nation's 28th birthday, expedition members fired the swivel cannon on the bow of their keelboat once in the morning . . . — Map (db m52994) HM
Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — "walked on Shore above this Creek"
"...Capt. Lewis walked on Shore above this Creek and discovered a high moun from the top of which he had an extensive view, 3 paths Concentering at the moun..." William Clark July 4, 1804 The U.S. Army expedition led by Captains Meriwether . . . — Map (db m44812) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — John Mash Jr."A Forest is God's Garden"

Recognizing his contributions to forest conservation and historic preservation at Green Ridge State Forest

25 years of state service 1971-1996 Forest Manager 1975-1988 Author of The Land of the Living Championed the . . . — Map (db m95917) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Log Roll Trail

Log Roll Overlook offers the hiker an enjoyable westward view of the Town Creek watershed and a view of three states. The overlook was named for logs that were rolled down the steep mountain slope in the late 1800s, to a sawmill on Town Creek. . . . — Map (db m95911) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Long Pond Trail

Long Pond Trail follows the 15-Mile Creek stream valley. This trail winds over ridges and valleys with several steep ascents and descents. These features make it one of the most challenging trails at Green Ridge State Forest.

The trail is . . . — Map (db m95916) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Pine Lick Trail

Pine Lick Trail is connected to landmarks of national historic significance.

THE MASON-DIXON LINE marks the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, as well as the northern edge of Green Ridge State Forest. Completed in the 1760s, this . . . — Map (db m95909) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Twin Oaks Trail

This trail allows the hiker to experience Green Ridge State Forest in miniature. The trail follows ridges and valleys along mountain streams and crosses open fields. One section of the trail opens up into an expansive view of Town Hill and the . . . — Map (db m95913) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Because of the Water...

Before America was discovered, indigenous people hunted and fished the Grand Traverse region for thousands of years. As far back as 8,000 B.C., the waters of Grand Traverse Bay, Elk River and the 14 lakes of Antrim County's Chain of Lakes had . . . — Map (db m98175) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Early Elk Rapids and the Elk River

In this photo you are standing on the other side of the Elk River and to the left side of the photograph. This picture of Elk Rapids is from the 1890s and the view is from the top of the Elk Rapids Iron Company's Furnace. What is left of . . . — Map (db m98173) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk Rapids

In 1856 Dexter and Noble Company began building an empire with their sawmill and mercantile business. In 1872 they built an iron smelting plant, one of the largest charcoal furnaces in the country. At each step of their building that . . . — Map (db m98125) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Elk River, Entry to the Chain of Lakes of Antrim County

As shown in the above photograph taken in c1910, the Elk River and Chain of Lakes provided a means of transporting logs to the Dexter & Noble sawmill and a shoreline site where cord wood was made into charcoal fuel for the iron furnace. . . . — Map (db m98151) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Land of Anishinabek

Native Americans have hunted and fished the Grand Traverse region for thousands of years, perhaps as many as 10,000 years before white settlers appeared. The waters of the Bay, Elk River and the 14 lakes of Antrim County's Chain of Lakes had . . . — Map (db m98128) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Rotary Park "Centennial Project"

US 31 in its present location was built in 1953. In the 1960s, the Rotary Club of Elk Rapids began to develop the land between the highway and Elk River. With the help of other local organizations, the area became a park, named Rotary Park in . . . — Map (db m98118) HM

Michigan (Antrim County), Elk Rapids — Why All of the Stumps?

It has often been asked, "Why the stumps in the river?"

In a way, the stumps tell the story of Elk Rapids. In the beginning the trees grew there while the land was still dry. As one can see in the photograph of the blast furnace, which was . . . — Map (db m98135) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The First Presbyterian Church
Congregation organized in 1817. The Sanctuary was built in 1828-29 and enlarged in 1851. The Romanesque Revival rear addition was built in 1900 in honor of Joseph Stratton, Pastor, 1843-1903. The church and its companion manse on South Rankin Street . . . — Map (db m19027) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Beaverdam — Beaverdam & Vicinity World War II MemorialLiberty
Dedicated to those from Beaverdam & vicinity who served their country in the war for the liberty of the world 1941 - 1945 To honor all men and women of this community who nobly served their country in World War II and in memory of . . . — Map (db m29927) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — 1905 Shay EngineSerial No. 1568
Built at the Lima Locomotive Works Lima, Ohio for Tioga Lumber Company Nicholas County, West Virginia Purchased by the Auglaize Township Historical Society in 1996 — Map (db m29730) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — Harrod Veterans Memorial ParkThe Price of Freedom
[Front] Dedicated to the memory of all veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States of America, who unselfishly served their country in time of peace or war. It is because of this effort that we enjoy the freedom that is ours . . . — Map (db m29732) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Harrod — Workman's Crew Caboose
This caboose spent most of its working years in Lima and northwest Ohio and was renovated by the Auglaize Township Historical Society in 1994 — Map (db m29723) HM
Ohio (Allen County), LaFayette — LaFayette - Jackson Township Civil War Memorialand Veterans Memorial Garden
Erected 1903 by the Citizens of Jackson Tp. and Dedicated to the Memory of her soldiers of 1861. - 1865. [Grand Army of the Republic emblem] Ah! never shall the land forget. How flowed the life blood of her brave Gushed warm . . . — Map (db m29718) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lafayette — 2-4 — McKee's Hill
Following the American Revolution, the British Crown sought to retain possession of the Ohio Country by sending chief British Indian Agent Alexander McKee and others to establish trading posts with Native Americans and resist American settlement. . . . — Map (db m28686) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County Veterans Memorial
A tribute to honor those who served our country in the armed forces — Map (db m22927) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County, Ohio
Allen County was originally Indian territory not opened for settlement until 1817, and was formally surveyed in 1820. County government was organized in 1831 and with the improvement of roads, settlers came and established communities in every part . . . — Map (db m22930) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — D T & I Railroad's Uniopolis, Ohio, StationLincoln Park Train Exhibit
In 1964, the Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton Railroad donated an equipped station to the Lincoln Park Railroad Exhibit. The depot behind you was moved from its original location at Uniopolis, Ohio ten miles to the south. It came complete with signal . . . — Map (db m29714) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 2-5 — Faurot Oil Well
In 1885, 800 feet north of this marker, Benjamin Faurot struck oil after drilling into the Trenton Rock Limestone formation at a depth of 1,251 feet. This event marked the beginning of the great Oil Boom of northwest Ohio. The ensuing rush brought . . . — Map (db m22931) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Historic House
Erected in 1852 of handsome bricks, this house, still occupied in 1976, is one of Lima's oldest landmarks. Situated on part of Outlot No. Two of the original city addition, the residence now fronts Central Ave., known as Tanner Ave., before 1897. . . . — Map (db m29884) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — James Daniel's Cabin1828
Built near this site, the cabin of this pioneer Allen County Commissioner was used for the first meetings of the Bath Township Trustees in 1829 and of the Allen County Commissioners June 6, 1831. Daniel's land adjoined the original 160 acre . . . — Map (db m29874) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Korean War Memorial
The Korean War June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 ————————— To honor those who fought and died to secure the freedom of the People of South Korea Forgotten Nevermore by . . . — Map (db m22929) WM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 1-2 — Lima Locomotive Works
One of America's largest steam locomotive builders, the Lima Locomotive Works, built 7,752 locomotives between 1879 and 1951. It rose to success building the patented Shay geared locomotive, an innovative design that became the standard for . . . — Map (db m22935) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — NKP Berkshire Locomotive No. 779
Locomotive No. 779, built by the Lima Locomotive Works in 1949, is the last steam locomotive manufactured in Lima. As a “Berkshire-type”, it represents the most advanced development of steam power. The Nickel Plate Railroad had a total . . . — Map (db m29715) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — NKP Caboose No. 1091
Caboose No. 1091 was built in 1882 by the Lafayette Car Works of Lafayette, IN. It has been completely restored and equipped by the Allen County Historical Society. Although much of the structure has been replaced during its years of service, the . . . — Map (db m29716) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 6-2 — Servicemen's Free Canteen
The Lima Chapter of the American Women's Voluntary Services Organization established a community-based, free canteen during World War II for troops traveling on the Pennsylvania Railroad and adjacent Baltimore & Ohio-Nickel Plate Railroads. Meeting . . . — Map (db m22951) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 3-2 — Solar Refinery
Side A: Oil became a valuable resource in Ohio when significant quantities were discovered in Lima in 1885. The discovery brought an economic boom to Lima and northwest Ohio. News of the Lima oil field spread, attracting the attention of John D. . . . — Map (db m22961) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — 2-2 — The Interurban Era
In 1910, the Ohio Electric Railway Company opened this terminal, formerly the Interurban Building, which served interurban passengers until 1937. Along with offices, it contained space for express and baggage handling, ticket windows, a newsstand, . . . — Map (db m22934) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Old Bell
Cast in Cincinnati about 1840, this bell was brought to Lima by way of the Miami Erie Canal and horse drawn wagon, and placed in Allen County's 1842 Courthouse. It rang the hour, announced births and deaths, called citizens to church and town . . . — Map (db m22936) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Courthouse Bell
This bell was hung in the old court house in 1853 and for 75 years served Ashland County truly & well. It's vibrant tones rang out the news of Lee's surrender, tolled the passing of the immortal Lincoln, pealed forth the victory of Admiral Dewey, . . . — Map (db m25829) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Pioneer Memorial
To the heroic pioneers who braved the perils of the pathless wilderness to establish homes for their loved ones, and who laid the foundation of our commonwealth so broad and deep in this their new homeland that their descendants might freely enjoy . . . — Map (db m25832) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
. . . — Map (db m25833) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m25808) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County Veterans Memorial Bridge
To the patriotic men and women of Ashland County who served their country in time of need — Map (db m25831) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Ashland County World War Memorial
To the World War veterans in memory of their deceased comrades and those who remain to serve — Map (db m25834) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Freer Civil War Memorial
Erected by Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Freer to the memory of Our Dead Soldiers — Map (db m25809) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Ashland — Jones Memorial Terrace
Erected in 1957 by George and Jessie Jones in loving memory of their son, Earl E. Jones, Ashland College student 1920-21, who died in 1921. This terrace is dedicated to the pleasurable growth and development of the young people who attend . . . — Map (db m25836) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Hayesville — 1-3 — Hayesville Town Hall and Opera House
This building was a center of community life from the time of its construction in 1886 to the late 1930s. Once common, such combinations of governmental offices and commercial and entertainment space are today rare. The second floor opera house . . . — Map (db m24286) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Hayesville — PFC Terry L. Schaub
“Remembering a Brother” 18 Nov 47 - 19 Feb 68 CoC 3rd Bn/60th Inf (Riverine) 9th Inf Div. U.S. Army KIA southeast of Can Tho City Phong Dinh Province, Republic of Vietnam — Map (db m25838) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Loudonville — 7-70 — Clear Fork GorgeA Feature of Ohio's Forests
Clear Fork Gorge was formed when glacial meltwater cut through the sandstone bedrock that forms its steep walls fourteen to twenty-four thousand years ago. The gorge is one thousand feet wide and over three hundred feet deep. Its seclusion has . . . — Map (db m24285) HM
Ohio (Ashland County), Perrysville — 7-3 — Johnny “Appleseed” Land Lease and Nursery
John “Appleseed” Chapman (b. September 26, 1774—d. March 18, 1845) was the first lessee of this 160 acre tract (NW ¼, S 20, T 20, R 16), when he secured it for 99 years from the Virginia Military District School Lands on April 10, . . . — Map (db m46337) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), East Berlin — Swigart's Mill[Beaver Creek Mill]

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m100652) HM

Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 1971 T.C. Williams High School Football Team Honor OakWillow OakQuercus phellos

In honor of the 1971 T.C. Williams High School state championship football team that held its preseason camp at Gettysburg College in the summer of 1971. It was here that members of the newly integrated high school in Alexandria, VA, formed the . . . — Map (db m96251) HM

Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 55th Ohio Infantry2nd Brig, 2d Div, 11th Corps.
(Front):55th Ohio Infantry 2d Brig. 2d Div. 11th Corps. Erected by the State of Ohio. (Left):55th Ohio Infantry Arrived at 2:20 pm. July 1, in this position, which it held throughout the battle. With severe loss, its skirmishers . . . — Map (db m12191) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 8th Ohio InfantryCarroll's Brig. 3d Div. 2d Corps, July 2, 3, 1863. — Ohio's Tribute
(Front Inscription):8th Ohio Infantry, Carroll's Brig. 3d Div. 2d Corps. July 2,3, 1863. (Left Side Inscription): The 8th Ohio Infantry under Lt. Col. Franklin Sawyer took this position at 4 p.m. July 2 after a brisk skirmish and held . . . — Map (db m12190) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Companies G and I, 4th Ohio Infantry1st Brigade, 3d Division, 2d Corps — July 2, 1863
(Front): Companies G and I, 4th Ohio Infantry, 1st Brigade, 3d Division, 2d Corps, July 2, 1863. (Left): At 3 p.m., July 2, 1863, while the regiment was lying on Cemetery Ridge, Companies G and I, 4th Ohio Infantry, detached under . . . — Map (db m12189) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Pioneer Organizers of Methodism in Adams County

Buried in this historic cemetery are some of the pioneer organizers of Methodism in Adams County.

To these and others known only to God, the Congregation of the Gettysburg United Methodist Church dedicate this monument October . . . — Map (db m96250) HM

Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Veterans Memorial

This flag flying in memory of those that served their country and community

All Those Who Have Served

They shall beat their swords into plowshares — Map (db m96359) WM

Pennsylvania (Adams County), Littlestown — Littlestown War Memorial
Dedicated in memory and in honor of the brave men and women of this community who served their country in all wars Those who made the supreme sacrifice World War I John W. Ocker World War II Robert J. Collins • Vernon . . . — Map (db m35292) WM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Uriah — Mt. Victory Church Cemetery
Former site of Mt. Victory U.B. - E.U.B. - U.M. Church Founders: William Coulson • Calvin Coulson • Alfred Albert Dedicated 1889 Razed 1992 — Map (db m19559) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), York Springs — Christ Church EpiscopalColonial English Parish — Founded 1746

This parish was founded in 1746, at Huntington, by the Rev. Richard Locke to whom the Episcopal churches in Carlisle and York also owe their founding.

Civil War Building July 1863 — Map (db m91233) HM

Virginia (Arlington County), Fort Myer — John C. McKinney Memorial Stables
Named in honor of CW4 John C. McKinney Caisson Platoon Leader 3d U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard) June 1959 to May 1974 — Map (db m12247) HM

8716 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 8516
Paid Advertisement