Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2555 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2355
 
Marastoni Jakab Marker on building front. image, Touch for more information
By Theresa Hilton Small, March 12, 2015
Marastoni Jakab Marker on building front.
Hungary, Belváros, Budapest — Marastoni Jakab1804-1860
Hungarian E hazban műkődőtt 1846-1860 kőzőtt Az Első Magyar Festészeti Akadémia amelyet Marastoni Jakab 1804-1860 Olasz Származású Pesten Letelepedett . . . — Map (db m82363) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Autaugaville — Albert J. Pickett1810-1858 — Scholar-Planter-Trader
Alabama's first historian lived on plantation nearby. From traders and Indians he gathered materials for his authentic history of early Alabama and the Southeast. — Map (db m68838) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Autaugaville — AutaugavilleIntersection of Autauga and Academy Streets — "America's First Crossroad"
Robert Ripley's world-wide syndicated Believe It Or Not! column for July 31, 1935 read: "C. D. Abbott is the first citizen of the U.S.A. He is first alphabetically in Autaugaville, the first town in Autauga, the first county in Alabama, the . . . — Map (db m68839) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Autauga County Korean War Memorial
Dedicated to the Korean War Veterans of Autauga County — Map (db m70818) WM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Autauga County Viet Nam Memorial
In Memory of Veterans of the Viet Nam Conflict — Map (db m70816) WM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Autauga County World War II Memorial
Dedicated to the Veterans of Autauga County who served their country during WWII — Map (db m70817) WM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Autauga Creek
Side 1 Water has always played a significant role in the history of Prattville. Daniel Pratt chose the location for his new town because of the proximity to Autauga Creek and the Alabama River. This area was referred to as an . . . — Map (db m70815) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Buena VistaMontgomery-Janes-Wittaker Home — (circa 1830)
This antebellum plantation house was completed by Capt. William Montgomery, a contemporary of Prattville's founder, Daniel Pratt. This “Deep South” architecture reflects the Federal style with the later addition of a Colonial . . . — Map (db m70795) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Daniel Pratt/First United Methodist Church
Side 1 Daniel Pratt Founder of Prattville Daniel Pratt, a native of New Hampshire, became an industrialist, statesman and philanthropist in Alabama. He was a Methodist in both heart and practice. He encourage the development of the . . . — Map (db m70813) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Doster Road Artesian Well House
Prattville is often referred to as “The Fountain City” for the numerous free-flowing artesian wells found here. A 1933 edition of the Prattville Progress noted that there were more than 400 of these artesian wells in Prattville . . . — Map (db m70805) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama / Original Members
Side 1 First Presbyterian Church of Prattville, Alabama Organized 1846 by Pastor Wm. H. Mitchell, this congregation succeeded Millenium Hope Presbyterian, 2 mi. E. of town. Pastor Jas. K. Hazen (1861-77) married Mary Ticknor, . . . — Map (db m81479) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Happy Hollow
Known as Fair Road, Sixth Street from Northington Street to the big curve was called “Happy Hollow”. The road went to the Fair home place but also curved right, into Warren Circle. Here stood a small frame church where the congregation’s . . . — Map (db m70800) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Indian Springs Post Office/Thomas Hill House/Union Baptist Meeting House
Indian Springs Post Office Location of considerable Community activity in the early nineteenth-century Autauga County Thomas Hill House Site of first Court after Autauga became a County Union Baptist Meeting House 1830s . . . — Map (db m70798) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Old Autauga County Courthouse1870
The county's third courthouse was used until 1906. George Littlefield Smith, an early citizen of Prattville, designed and built the Italianate-style structure. Earlier county seats were Washington, then Kingston. Marker placed by the . . . — Map (db m70808) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Old Kingston Historical Cemetery
This cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Autauga County having been established as a burial ground by at least 1841. The land was officially set aside as a burial ground when the county seat was in this area from 1834 to 1868. The area . . . — Map (db m82561) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Pratt Gin Factory — 1 mile
Once the world's largest plant manufacturing cotton gins. Founded 1833 by Daniel Pratt, the greatest industrialist of Alabama prior to 1860. Pratt's many industries were of great aid to Confederacy during Northern blockade. — Map (db m70799) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Saint Mark's was organized in 1859 as a mission of the Diocese of Alabama. Services were first held at the Presbyterian Church and in the old Court House. In December 1876, the congregation purchased an old wooden frame chapel from the Methodists . . . — Map (db m70801) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney LanierMusician - Poet - Patriot - Seer
Beloved teacher of Prattville Academy 1867 • on this site • 1868 whose memory will be forever cherished by people of Prattville, Ala. whom he loved and served — Map (db m70820) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney Lanier/Prattville Male and Female Academy Site
Side 1 Sidney Lanier 1842-1881 The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — Map (db m70802) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — The Prattville Dragoons
This boulder erected by The Merrill E. Pratt Chapter U.D.C. April 26, 1916, marks the spot where The Prattville Dragoons assembled in April, 1861, on the eve of their departure to the war, and is commemorative of their . . . — Map (db m70819) HM WM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Wilson Pickett, Jr.March 18, 1941 - January 19, 2006
A native of Prattville, Wilson Pickett was raised singing gospel in local churches. Upon moving to Detroit as a teenager, he began to blend gospel-style with rhythm and blues, resulting in some of "the deepest, funkiest soul music" to come from the . . . — Map (db m70804) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — A County Older Than the State, Baldwin County
Side 1 Third oldest county in Alabama. Created in 1809 while still part of Mississippi Territory. Named for Abraham Baldwin (1754-1807) founder of University of Georgia, delegate to Constitutional Convention, . . . — Map (db m100839) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Baldwin County Eternal Flame Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Honor of the Veterans of all Wars — Map (db m100865) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette Korean War Memorial
Battery B 711th AAA Gun Battalion Alabama National Guard Bay Minette, Alabama [List of names in 3 columns] 4 September 1950 Korean War — Map (db m100941) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bay Minette, Alabama
Side 1 In 1860, the center of commerce in Baldwin County ran along the rivers with the remainder of the county mostly wilderness. In 1861, with secession declared, the Alabama Legislature allocated funds to finish the stalled Mobile . . . — Map (db m100846) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Bottle Creek Site
Bottle Creek Site has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America . . . — Map (db m100849) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Bay Minette — Judge Harry Toulmin(1766 – 1823)
Born and educated in England, Toulmin became a Unitarian Minister and fled persecution in 1793. In the U.S. he served as President of Transylvania University and Secretary of the State of Kentucky. In 1804 Thomas Jefferson appointed him as the first . . . — Map (db m100850) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — 1814 ~ ~ ~ 1977General Andrew Jackson
  Standing on a low limb of a giant oak tree near here, General Andrew Jackson made a pep talk to his troops, fresh from their victory at the Battle of Horse Shoe Bend and poised before advancing on the British and Spanish at Pensacola, and the . . . — Map (db m100852) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — City of DaphneIncorporated July 8, 1927
The City of Daphne was incorporated July 8, 1927 with a population of 500. its history, however, dates to a much earlier period. Research and artifacts show that Tensaw, Alabama, Choctaw, Creeks, and Seminole Indians all lived in the this area prior . . . — Map (db m100843) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Little Bethel Baptist Church:
On April 15, 1867, Major Lewis Starke deeded these two acres to four of his ex-slaves and their heirs as trustees for this church: Nimrod Lovett, Stamford Starlin (now Sterling), Narcis Elwa, and Benjamin Franklin. In this cemetery is buried . . . — Map (db m100851) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Daphne — Patriot's Point Memorial
Patriot's Point Memorial This Memorial is Dedicated to All the Brave Men and Women Who Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces Protecting Freedom Around the World — Map (db m100864) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 173d Airborne Brigade (Sep)1963 — 1971
In commemoration of all Sky Soldiers whose valor and sacrifice in defense of South Vietnam must never be forgotten "All Gave Some – Some Gave All" — Map (db m100946) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops
This earthen mound was part of a redoubt constructed by the 1st Division, U.S. Colored Troops in April, 1865. The regiment saw considerable action against Confederate warships protecting the Blakely River. These earthworks have been preserved as a . . . — Map (db m100853) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Albert Carey Danner — 1843~1921
  Born in Winchester, Virginia, he moved to Missouri where at age 17 he enlisted in the State Guard. In 1861 he became a Private in the Confederate States Army, was captured during the Battle of Wilson's Creek and escaped.   Captain Danner . . . — Map (db m100880) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Bay of the Holy Spirit
The earliest outline of a recognizable bay on the northern coast of the Gulf of Mexico was shown on a 1507 map by German cartographer Martin Waldeseemuller–the same map to first apply the name "America" to the New World. Alonso Álvarez de . . . — Map (db m100841) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Caisson Trace
A trail used in early times by Indians, Spanish Explorers, French Settlers and later by soldiers during the battle of Spanish Fort 1865. At one time a stream driven train paralleled this trace. Its ancient road bed can still be seen south of this . . . — Map (db m100877) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Drive
Named in honor of the 1,810 Men in Gray who defended the eastern approaches to Mobile in the battle of Spanish Fort March 26 ~ April 8-9, 1865. Here Brig. Gen. R. L. Gibson, C.S.A. engaged “…more than 20,000” enemy troops in the last . . . — Map (db m100878) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Main Line of Resistance(The Battle of Spanish Fort, March 26-April 9, 1865)
Twenty-nine Union field guns, manned by men of the 3d Indiana, 1st Illinois and 2d Iowa Batteries, shelled these Confederate trenches for 13 consecutive days and nights. The fact that these trenches were never breached, attests to the courage of . . . — Map (db m100873) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 3 / Gibson’s Brigade
Side 1 Capt. Cuthbert Slocomb of the 5th Company, Washington Artillery of New Orleans, commanded Redoubt No. 3, also known as Battery Blair, consisted of one 8-inch Columbiad, two 12-pound Napoleons, one 3-inch ordinance rifle, and . . . — Map (db m100871) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 4 / Holtzclaw's Brigade
Side 1 Redoubt No. 4 was part of the Confederate line known as Red Fort. Capt. John Phillip’s Tennessee Light Artillery manned the redoubt until they were relieved on April 4, 1865 by Garrity's Alabama Light Artillery. Lt. Henry . . . — Map (db m100866) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Confederate Redoubt No. 5 / Ector's Brigade
Side 1 Also called the Sandbag Battery, Redoubt No. 5 was originally commanded by Lt. Andrew Hargrove of Lumsden's Tuscaloosa Battery, Company F, 2nd Alabama Light Artillery Battalion. During the early stages of the battle, Lumsden's . . . — Map (db m100875) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
From this Confederate Fort 15 heavy artillery guns, repelled elements of 2 Union Army Corps, routed 5 ironclad monitors attacking up the Blakely River and for 13 days helped prevent the capture of Mobile until after General Lee's Surrender at . . . — Map (db m100911) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Fort McDermott
Highest point along 2 miles of Confederate battle lines extending east and north. Here 200 soldiers from Georgia, Louisiana & Arkansas, held off a numerically superior Union Force for thirteen days and nights in the last battle of the War Between . . . — Map (db m100913) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Ft. McDermott Confederate Memorial Park
Dedicated to the men of the Confederate States of America who valiantly fought for our American liberties, "Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed... whenever any form of government becomes . . . — Map (db m100936) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Red Fort
Built of red clay, armed with 12 heavy guns and served by 307 crack Confederate Artilleryman from Batteries Perry (Tenn.) Phillips (Tenn.) Lumsden (Ala.) and Garrity (Mobile, Ala.). It was the keystone in the defense of Spanish Fort, 1865. — Map (db m100868) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Spanish Fort
Rendezvous for Indians, Spanish, French and English Explorers. In 1865, Three Confederate Brigades, outnumbered 10 to 1, engaged the Army of West Mississippi (Union Forces) in the last battle of the War Between the States. March 26~April 9, 1865. — Map (db m100844) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Spanish FortAlabama
Historic Spot of the Deep SouthMap (db m100845) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The 8th Iowa InfantryBattle of Spanish Fort
On the evening of April 8th, 1865, while the Confederate fortifications were being shelled by Union artillery, the 8th Iowa Infantry advanced from near this point to the Confederate left and captured a part of the works, in hand to hand fighting. . . . — Map (db m100883) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Final Assault
At dusk on April 8, 1865, 300 yards west of this site, the Union Army's 8th lowa Infantry and three Illinois Regiments breached the Confederate main line of resistance. Under the cover of night, troops holding the thin gray line spiked their guns . . . — Map (db m100855) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — The Union First Parallel / Union Siege Battery No. 16
Side 1 The main Union siege line during the Battle of Spanish Fort ran along this ridge. Brig. Gen. Eugene Carr's Division occupied the right flank of the Union line between here and Minette Bay. Carr's men initially faced Confederate . . . — Map (db m100857) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Union Siege Battery No. 21 / 3rd Brigade of Carr's Division
Side 1 Located on this bluff overlooking Minette Bay, Battery No. 21 anchored the right flank of Maj. Gen. Edward Canby's Army of West Mississippi during the Battle of Spanish Fort. Maj. Gen. Andrew Smith's XVI Army Corps occupied the . . . — Map (db m100854) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Spanish Fort — Women's Veterans MemorialAlabama State Veterans Memorial Cemetery
Dedicated to all women veterans who have served, sacrificed and suffered for our nation. Your patriotism and courage are greatly appreciated and will never be forgotten. [Seals of the U.S. Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps & . . . — Map (db m100943) WM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Tensaw — Fort Mims— 500 yards →
Here in Creek Indian War 1813-14 took place most brutal massacre in American history. Indians took fort with heavy loss, then killed all but about 36 of some 550 in the fort. Creeks had been armed by British at Pensacola in this phase . . . — Map (db m86293) HM
Alabama (Baldwin County), Tensaw — Fort Mims Massacre
In honor of the men, woman and children massacred by Creek Indians in brave defence of Fort Mims Aug. 30, 1813. — Map (db m86716) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Blue Springs — Pea River Electric Membership Corporation
The Pea River Electric Membership Corporation was energized on this site on June 8, 1939. This rural electric cooperative was organized under an executive order signed by President F. D. Roosevelt on May 11, 1935. Rural members of Barbour, Dale . . . — Map (db m71804) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Clio — Barbour County High School
Established under an Act of the Alabama Legislature in 1907, the school was built entirely by local initiative. It was completed in 1910 and occupied initially in September of that year. Consistently characterized by faculties of dedication and . . . — Map (db m71798) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Chief Eufaula (Yoholo Micco)In Life and Legend — Creek Heritage Trail
"Chief Eufaula," the man often referred to in the historical record as "Yoholo Micco," was a Creek chieftain from the Upper Creek town of Eufaula. Born in the late 1700s, he fought alongside allied Creeks with United States forces against his Red . . . — Map (db m101427) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — Cotton and Creek Country — Creek Heritage Trail
A primary factor in the eventual expulsion of the Creeks from their ancestral homeland was the fact that their territory was some of the best suited in the nation for the production of cotton. Containing enormous tracts of productive soils, a long . . . — Map (db m101658) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — In Honor of All World War II Veterans
[Title is text] Roll of honor Front & RearMap (db m101418) WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The City of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The Second Creek war resulted in the final expulsion of the Creeks from eastern Alabama and paved the way for large-scale American settlement. The town of Irwinton gradually expanded westward from the bluff overlooking the Chattahoochee in the years . . . — Map (db m101361) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Creek Town of Eufaula — Creek Heritage Trail
The area surrounding Eufaula was once part of a regional Creek population center. Towns of note in the region included Sawokli (also known as Sabacola) and the town of Eufaula for which the modern city is named. Trails linked these closely-connected . . . — Map (db m101355) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Second Creek War in the Eufaula Area — Creek Heritage Trail
In 1836 long-simmering tensions between Creeks and American settlers erupted into warfare. The Creeks, crowded onto the last portion of their ancestral homeland and witnessing the rampant theft of their lands, had also become subject to harsh laws . . . — Map (db m101360) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Town of Irwinton — Creek Heritage Trail
A small group of American settlers from Georgia formed a community called Eufaula in this vicinity as early as 1823. The settlement began to grow in importance later in the decade through the influence of prominent local landholder and Creek War . . . — Map (db m101357) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — The Tree That Owns Itself
The Tree That Owns Itself Planned and Dedicated April 19, 1961 Replacing the Walker Oak Felled by Wind April 9, 1961 Original Deed Granted by City of Eufaula to the Post Oak Tree April 8, 1936 . . . — Map (db m101286) HM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — World War I Doughboy
To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice 1917 — World War — 1918 John Asbury Boswell Robert W. Brannon-Hinton W. Holleman Porter R. Doughtie-Daniel T. Tully Lest We Forget. — Map (db m101350) WM
Alabama (Bullock County), Blues Old Stand — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89638) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Fitzpatrick — Fitzpatrick United Methodist Church(Church of the Seven Sisters) — 1858
Lacking an established church nearby, pioneer families of the Fitzpatrick community into the mid-19th century took turns hosting worship services in their homes on Sunday mornings. "The Church of the Seven Sisters" was established in 1858 by seven . . . — Map (db m67158) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Midway — Confederate Memorial
Drill Ground of the Midway Guards 1860, later Company B 15th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Richmond. Second Company 1861 assigned to Company C 45th Alabama C.S.A. ordered to Army of Tennessee. These and many later volunteers met the enemy in . . . — Map (db m89636) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Three Notch — Three Notch Road
Side 1 Built by U.S. Army engineers over the summer of 1824, Three Notch Road has served as Bullock County’s major transportation route throughout its history. It was constructed to facilitate military communication between Pensacola . . . — Map (db m89637) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Mt. Hilliard Methodist ChurchOrganized 1835
Founded by settlers from Virginia, Georgia, and Carolinas. Building erected 1856. It was the central feature of the village of Mount Hilliard. Named in honor of Henry W. Hilliard -- who debated William L. Yancey in the 1850's. Revivals held at . . . — Map (db m67553) HM
Alabama (Bullock County), Union Springs — Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School
(side 1) Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and . . . — Map (db m67552) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Forest Home — The Butler Massacre / Fort Bibb
(obverse) The Butler Massacre On March 20, 1818, Capt. William Butler, Capt. James Saffold, William Gardener, Daniel Shaw and John Hinson left Fort Bibb to meet Col. Sam Dale. They were attacked near Pine Barren Creek by Savannah . . . — Map (db m83259) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Fort Deposit — Oak Bowery
In March 1863 Francis and Sarah Sheppard gave 3 acres of land to Methodist Episcopal Church South as a place for worship and burial. 2 more acres given by Alexander and Mary Sheppard Oct. 1868. Property sold to County Line Primitive Baptist Church . . . — Map (db m70838) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Georgiana — City of Georgiana / GA~ANA TheatreFounded in 1855 / Opened 1939
City of Georgiana Founded in 1855 Early settlers moved from Virginia, the Carolinas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia into the deep forests of southern Butler County. In 1855, the Rev. Pitt S. Milner established a home-stead and post . . . — Map (db m86265) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Georgiana — Hank Williams’ Boyhood Home / Thigpen’s Log Cabin Popular Dance Hall
Side 1 Hank Williams' Boyhood Home Hiram Williams lived in Georgiana from age 7 to 11. In 1931, Mrs. Lillie Williams moved Hiram and his sister Irene from rural Wilcox County to this house owned by Thaddeus B. Rose. When he . . . — Map (db m81276) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Butler CountyA County Older Than The State
Side 1 Created in 1819 by Act of Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by the Creek Indian Nation by the Treaty of Fort Jackson, 1814. Named for Captain William Butler, soldier of Creek Indian War, 1813-14, early settler . . . — Map (db m70755) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Butler County Vietnam War Memorial
In Memory of Butler County Veterans of Vietnam War Killed in Action Likely, James T. • 10-2-1967 Taylor, Clarence • 5-28-1969 Rutherford, Michael T. • 11-5-1969 Cooper, William Morris • 9-7-1968 Johnson, Johnny L. • . . . — Map (db m70771) WM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Butler County World War I Memorial
In Memory of Butler County Veterans of World War I 1917-1918 — Map (db m70772) WM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Confederate Park/Greenville City Hall-Site of Public School
Side 1 Confederate Park Confederate Park was created in 1897 as a joint effort of the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the City of Greenville, with First United Methodist Church providing the Park . . . — Map (db m70749) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Operation Desert Storm
1990—1991 With gratitude for the faithful service of our men and women and for God's care and guidance. — Map (db m70770) WM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Our Confederate Dead
Front: Our Confederate Dead Back: To the memory of Butler Co's Confederate Soldiers West: Erected 1903 by the Father Ryan Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. East: Dead, but his spirit breathes; Dead, . . . — Map (db m70768) WM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Pioneer Cemetery
Greenville's oldest, established 1819. Captain William Butler, for whom the county was named, buried here. He was killed fighting Indians led by Savannah Jack in March, 1818. Greenville's oldest church, a community church established in 1822, . . . — Map (db m70751) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — Pioneer Electric Cooperative
The Butler County Electric Membership Corporation was formed as a rural electric cooperative in Greenville in July 1938. The first home receiving electricity from the cooperative was located near here. The Cooperative's original Board of . . . — Map (db m70756) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — The Camellia City/Greenville
Side 1 The Camellia City Mr. J. Glenn Stanley, an ardent camellia enthusiast, dreamed of Greenville becoming “The Camellia City” and loyally promoted this slogan as editor of The Greenville Advocate. The city’s . . . — Map (db m70754) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — West Commerce Street Historic District/Historic Greenville Depot
Side 1 West Commerce Street Historic District The completion of the railroad in the late 1850s brought this District into being. The District grew into a major trade center between Montgomery and Mobile. The capital accumulated . . . — Map (db m70753) HM
Alabama (Butler County), Greenville — World War II Memorial
Front 1941—1945 Dedicated to the glory of God and in grateful memory of all those Butler Countians who served their country in the cause of freedom. Rear These made the Supreme Sacrifice 1942 . . . — Map (db m83260) WM
Alabama (Butler County), Oakey Streak — Oakey Streak/Oakey Streak Methodist Church
Side 1 Oakey Streak The community of Oakey Streak was so named for the abundance of oak trees in the immediate vicinity. From 1829-1843 the post office here was known as Middletown and from 1853-1935 Oakey Streak. Nearby was the . . . — Map (db m70757) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 7 — Anniston Memorial HospitalMay 14, 1961 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
When seven injured "Freedom Riders" arrived at the Hospital on this date, the mob that had attacked them earlier in the day followed. The Riders were testing desegregation of public transportation in the South by riding buses. The bus they . . . — Map (db m106647) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — Stone from Ruins of Old Bank
This Stone Was Taken from Ruins of Old Bank, built at Arkansas Post, 1839. Arkansas Post State Park. Created by Act of Legislature 1929. Introduced by Ballard Deane, Representative, Arkansas County. Act . . . — Map (db m108550) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — The Post of Arkansas
Here on the Grand Prairie you tread on soil laid down over the centuries as the mighty Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers brought down their precious cargoes of silt from the northern uplands. The footprints of many were pressed into this . . . — Map (db m108486) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post — The Post under Spain
In 1763 the Post of Arkansas became Spanish territory when, by the Treaty of Paris, the French King ceded Louisiana to Spain. For several years after the transfer, French officers and soldiers remained at Arkansas Post. In 1771 the first . . . — Map (db m108551) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Four guns...opened on us and a thousand rifles from the pits — Dyer Hitchcock, private, 23rd Wisconsin Infantry
A bitter winter rain had turned the ground to mud. But the Confederate soldiers had to keep digging. These rifle pits, lying just a few feet from where you stand, were far from finished. Though exhausted and hungry, the soldiers were ordered to . . . — Map (db m107874) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — On they come like an irresistible thunder bolt William Heartsill, sergeant, 2nd Texas Cavalry
The Confederate scouts were alarmed. Looking down river to your right, one exclaimed, "One could hardly see anything in the background but smokestacks." Union soldiers disembarked from their transports. All night, knee deep in mud, they . . . — Map (db m108509) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Our ironclads and gunboats knocked the fort to piecesDavid D. Porter, rear admiral
You wouldn't have got us had it not been for your damned gunboats. John Dunnington, colonel, chief of ordnance Fort Hindman's cannon fired at the nine gunboats bearing down on them. Confederate gunners had . . . — Map (db m108072) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — 38,000 Reasons to Fight
Half the Yankees in the West [were coming]. Confederate scout I expected Mary would be a widow before I got 10 rods [55 yards]. . . . — Map (db m107858) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — American Townsite1805 — 1840Frontier Settlement and Territorial Capitol
In the early 1800's the land in front of you was an important center of trade and government on the edge of the Arkansas River wilderness. Here were the homes, stores, taverns, mills, docks, and busy streets of the Post of Arkansas. This . . . — Map (db m108428) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Edge of Empires
The succession of outposts here, remote from centers of New World empire, symbolized a dream of the imperial age: to connect the Gulf of Mexico to North America's vast interior by the great rivers that drained it. Following British . . . — Map (db m108485) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — First Post of Arkansas1686 — 1700The French Settlement of Henri de Tonti
Spanish Explorer Hernan de Soto passed this way in 1542. Nearly 130 years later Father Marquette, the French missionary and explorer, reached the nearby mouth of the Arkansas. In 1682 Robert Cavelier, Sieur de la Salle, claimed this territory for . . . — Map (db m108407) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Arkansas Posts1686 — 1863Two Centuries of Settlement on the Arkansas River
Arkansas Post was not a single fort and trading center. From 1686 until 1863 there were no fewer than seven posts on the Arkansas River between here and the Missişsippi. The flags of five nations flew over them. The 1686 post . . . — Map (db m108464) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — The Colbert RaidApril 17, 1783Arkansas Post in the American Revolution
During the American Revolution, Arkansas Post belonged to the Spanish, allies of the American patriots. In 1783, British partisans led by James Colbert raided the Spanish village and fort here. It was one of the last engagements of the . . . — Map (db m108483) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — Where is Fort Hindman?
Standing here in January 1863, you would have seen Confederate Fort Hindman. In what is now the water, the fort stood atop a 25-foot high bluff The fort's cannon could fire a mile up or down the river to protect the breadbasket of Arkansas. The . . . — Map (db m108511) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Crocketts Bluff — Captain Alf Johnson's Spy Company
On this site from September 1862 to January 1863 was the encampment of a celebrated Texas cavalry company. Captain Alf Johnson's Spy company was active in conducting reconnaissance and small unit actions near Helena while maintaining vigilance on . . . — Map (db m107804) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Crocketts Bluff — Crocketts Bluff
Named for Captain Robert Crockett, grandson of the famous David (Davey) Crockett, this community was a flourishing river port during the second half of the 19th century. The Crockett Rifles (Company H, 1st Arkansas Infantry), first Confederate . . . — Map (db m107807) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Gillett — 10 — Battle of Arkansas Post
On January 9, 1863, Gen. John McClernand and Adm. David D. Porter led a 30,000 man army and a flotilla of Union gunboats up the Arkansas River to confront Gen. T.J. Churchill's 5,000 Confederates at Arkansas Post. The gunboats bombarded Fort Hindman . . . — Map (db m107701) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — Engagement at St. Charles
Here on June 17, 1862 a Federal fleet of eight vessels attempted to force its way upstream past Confederate shore defenses commanded by Captain Joseph Fry. The Confederates disabled the Union gunboat Mound City with heavy casualties before . . . — Map (db m107918) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — J. Deane & Sons Hardware Store
J. Deane and Son was a hardware store that served this area beginning in 1890. During the steamboat era, St. Charles was a thriving river boat community and this was its largest retail outlet. Founded by Joe Deane, who arrived here . . . — Map (db m108563) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), St. Charles — St. Charles Battle Monument
[Northeast face] Officers and men killed on the U.S.S. Mound City {List of 124 dead} [Northwest face] Near this spot, on June 17, 1862, a decisive engagement was fought between the Conf- ederates entrenched and the . . . — Map (db m108071) WM
Arkansas (Ashley County), Hamburg — F-18 — Ashley County Court House
The first court house in Ashley County was erected on this site in 1849. The county having been created the year before. — Map (db m107740) HM
Arkansas (Ashley County), Hamburg — 98 — Ashley County in the Civil War / 3rd Arkansas Infantry Regiment
Front Ashley County in the Civil War Thirteen companies were raised and organized in Ashley County for Confederate service during the Civil War: Co. F, 2nd Arkansas Cavalry; Cos. A, B, K and L, 3rd Arkansas Infantry; Co. F, 8th . . . — Map (db m107691) HM
Arkansas (Ashley County), Hamburg — Ashley County War MemorialsWWI - WWII / Korean - Vietnam
World War I Dedicated to the sons of Ashley County Arkansas Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice For Humanities Defense in the World War 1914 — 1918 _______ {List of the honored . . . — Map (db m108565) WM
Colorado (Adams County), Aurora — Charles Kelly Boulevard
In honor of Major Charles L. Kelly, MSC, U.S. Army 1925 - 1964 Dust-Off Pilot Extraordinary Killed in action by small arms fire while attempting to approach a hot LZ near Vinh Long, Viet Nam on 1 July 1964 after . . . — Map (db m96555) WM
Colorado (Adams County), Aurora — Colorado Freedom Memorial
"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here... to the great task remaining before us... that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion, . . . — Map (db m75613) WM
Colorado (Adams County), Aurora — Sharon A. Lane Drive
In honor of 1Lt Sharon A. Lane, ANC, U.S. Army 1943 - 1969 FAMC Staff Nurse, 1968 - 1969 Killed by enemy mortar round while serving with honor 312th Evac Hospital, Chu Lai, Viet Nam Only ANC Officer to die as a result . . . — Map (db m96560) WM
Colorado (Adams County), Aurora — WWI Medical Staff Memorial
1917     1918 In Memory of the Officers Nurses and Enlisted Men of the Medical Department United States Army Who Lost Their Lives During the World War This Tablet is Erected by their Coworkers of the Medical Department . . . — Map (db m96553) WM
Colorado (Adams County), Bennett — 218 — Front Range Flight
The Rocky Mountains proved a formidable barrier to early aviation, leaving Colorado in a familiar position: bypassed. As with the railroads fifty years earlier, transcontinental air traffic went through Wyoming; Colorado had to make do with a . . . — Map (db m70525) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Buckley Air Force Base — Buckley
In honor of 1Lt John Harold Buckley (1896-1918) Longmont, Colorado Lost his life in World War I, on a mission behind German lines. Buckley Field 1942-1947 Denver Naval Air Station 1947-1959 Buckley Air National Guard Base . . . — Map (db m75593) HM WM
Colorado (Arapahoe County), Bennett — 218 — High-Five Plains Towns / Ten Miles a Day
High-Five Plains Towns Watkins, Bennett, Strasburg, Byers, Peoria, Deer Trail, Agate, Godfrey, Cedar Point, Riverbend—most of these Colorado high plains towns were founded around the time when the Kansas Pacific Railroad arrived in . . . — Map (db m70522) HM
Colorado (Arapahoe County), Littleton — A Memorial to the Pioneers
A Memorial to the pioneers of the Upper Platte Valley who began settlement here in 1859 — Map (db m96186) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Baldwin County Veterans Memorial
Veterans Memorial "Flame of Freedom" Dedicated to the veterans of all wars from Milledgeville and Baldwin County on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the American Legion March 15, 1969 {Lower . . . — Map (db m103160) WM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette
In Commemoration of Marquis De Lafayette and his visit to Georgia's Capital March 27-29, 1825. Monday March 28 a ball and supper were given in his honor in the State House and a barbecue was . . . — Map (db m103176) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Milledgeville Confederate Monument
South(Front) CSA This tribute to the memory of the Confederate Soldier, unveiled April 26, 1912. West His heroism, in the presence of the conquering foe was equaled only by his . . . — Map (db m103412) WM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L16 — State House Square"...pretty well ransacked and things torn up generally." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This 20-acre square as the center of Georgia's state government and location of its capitol building from 1807 until 1868. The "State House," imposing Gothic edifice that dominates the square contained the offices of the governor and the chambers of . . . — Map (db m103227) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — The Allen Strain
In grateful commemoration of the contribution to agriculture by Drs. Henry Dawson and Edwin Whitaker, Allen, Brothers, of Baldwin County, Georgia, in the discovery, improvement and dissemination, 1920-1940, . . . — Map (db m103162) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — L14 — The Old Governor's Mansion"Utmost Disorder and Confusion" — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Construction of this Executive Mansion was authorized in 1835 and completed in 1839. The governor's earlier residence, Government House, just to the south on the corner of Clarke and Greene Streets, had fallen into disrepair. The Mansion is . . . — Map (db m103230) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Cowles-Bond HouseRailroads, Planters and Widow Bond — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
This impressive home was already more than a quarter century old when Union Major General James Harrison Wilson occupied it in 1865. It is a masterpiece of one of Macon's most notable early master-builders, Alexander Elam who designed this house for . . . — Map (db m103212) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Fort HawkinsThe Battle for Macon — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
During the early 1800s, Georgia grew through a series of treaties with the Creek Indians. After the Louisiana Purchase, President Thomas Jefferson authorized Benjamin Hawkins, Agent for Indian Affairs, to negotiate the 1805 treaty to expand Georgia . . . — Map (db m103214) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Macon Defensive FortificationsThe War Comes Home — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
Military earthworks, also variously called redoubts, lunettes, entrenchments and breastworks, have been used for centuries as points of lookout and defense. Early in the Civil War, soldiers learned to dig a simple trench behind an earthen parapet . . . — Map (db m103297) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge CemeteryEstablished 1840
Oak Ridge Cemetery, also a part of Rose Hill Cemetery, was set aside for Negro slave burials of many prominent Macon families. Many affluent descendants of slaves such as doctors, teachers, and businessmen are also buried here. — Map (db m103153) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge Cemetery1840 to 1865
Macon native Simri Rose, for whom Rose Hill Cemetery is named, established these grounds in 1840. Rose set aside ten acres of the property for slave owners to purchase and bury enslaved people and to bury city-owned enslaved people. On September 12, . . . — Map (db m103166) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Oak Ridge Cemetery1866 To Present
After the Civil War, the three distinct sections present in Oak Ridge today began to form. In addition to the antebellum and Civil War burials of enslaved people, a portion of Oak Ridge was sold to William Wolff in 1879 as a burial ground for Temple . . . — Map (db m103179) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Unknown, But Not Forgotten
Before you are the known graves of almost 1,000 people who died enslaved. Despite the enormous number of people who died in slavery in the United States, the burial sites of only a small number of the enslaved are known. Oak Ridge Cemetery is . . . — Map (db m103177) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Midville — R18 — Pine Barren CrossroadsA Junction of Sherman's Right Wing — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This Native American trail crossing at Georgia Highway 56 (itself a 19th century road) was a major route in colonial times. It is named the "Old Savannah Road." Starting in Savannah, it crossed the Ogeechee River, running west and south of it, then . . . — Map (db m103274) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Ivanhoe Plantation1765
Ivanhoe Plantation was established in 1765 by a Crown Grant to Thomas Whitehead from King George III of England. The plantation is located 3 or 4 miles east of Waynesboro, Georgia and 15 miles along Brier Creek going down stream. The grant . . . — Map (db m103303) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L24 — Skirmish at Ivanhoe PlantationCatharine Whitehead Rowland's Diary — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
This land is part of the former Ivanhoe Plantation property of the Whitehead family. The plantations home was located near the northeast corner of the Quaker road and the Walker Bridge road (Story Mill Road). A diary kept by 26-year-old Catharine . . . — Map (db m103374) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — L25 — The J.D. Roberts HomeA Witness to the Battles for Waynesborough — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Built about 1858 in the Georgian Cottage style as a home for J. D. Roberts, the house was designed by noted architect John Trowbridge. Subsequent occupants have included a doctor's office, millinery shop and county museum. In late 1864 the house . . . — Map (db m103299) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — R5 — Jackson"Little was left besides themselves and their houses." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Jackson, seat of Butts County, "was a beautiful little place and evidently occupied by the most prosperous people of that region. Those descriptive words were penned by Union Major Thomas W Osborn, Chief of Artillery of Major General Oliver O. . . . — Map (db m103197) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — Sylvan Grove Plantation
Sylvan Grove Hospital site was originally part of a large colonial cotton plantation known as Sylvan Grove Plantation. This plantation was settled in 1817 by Williams Buttrill, Revolutionary soldier and aide to General George Washington. He was the . . . — Map (db m103191) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — R4 — Sylvan Grove PlantationColonel Spencer's Kindness — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
In 1864, Sylvan Grove Plantation was located just outside Jackson. Its owner, Asa Buttrill, built an impressive 14-room plantation house in the 1830s for his bride, Lucy Manley. The house stood slightly south of the large stone covering a wellspring . . . — Map (db m103196) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 1599 — Adair County Courthouse
On June 28, 1802, court ordered permanent seat of justice on the public square. First courthouse built in 1806. Present structure was designed by McDonald Bros., Louisville, and built by Wm. H. Hudson and Columbus Stone in 1887. A unique . . . — Map (db m83384) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — Adair County Revolutionary War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m83655) WM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 604 — Col. Frank L. Wolford
A foremost champion of the Union, a staunch friend of the stricken South, defender of constitutional freedom. Born Columbia 1817, died 1895 and buried in city cemetery. Veteran Mexican War, leader famed First Kentucky Union Cavalry, hero of many . . . — Map (db m83387) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 2243 — Columbia-Union Presbyterian Church
Side 1 Active Presbyterian congregations formed early in the county’s settlement:1803 on Col. Casey’s farm & 1827 in Columbia. Church was built in 1857 and has had continuous services ever since. County and city congregations merged in . . . — Map (db m83408) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 707 — Confederate Raids
Front General John Hunt Morgan's cavalry, returning from second Kentucky raid, passed here on way back to Tennessee, Jan. 1, 1863. On raid, Union's rail supply line wrecked and $2,000,000 property destroyed. July 3, 1863, Morgan here . . . — Map (db m83391) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 1782 — Daniel Trabue (1760-1840)
A founder of Columbia, Trabue built original house (SW corner of this structure) ca. 1823. He served as trustee, sheriff, and justice of peace; operated grist mill, inn and retail store. Here Trabue wrote memoirs, 1827, of pioneer era, which . . . — Map (db m83406) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 128 — Jane Lampton Home
Girlhood home of Jane Lampton (1803-1891). Wife of John Marshall Clemens. Mother of "Mark Twain." Granddaughter of Colonel William Casey, original Adair County settler. — Map (db m83397) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 2242 — Male and Female School Site / Student Parking in the 1850s
Male and Female School Site The Columbia College Joint Stock Company formed in 1853 to build the M&F School. It was conveyed to trustees appointed by Transylvania Presbytery and opened in 1855. The building was a Union Camp during the . . . — Map (db m83412) HM
Louisiana (Bossier Parish), Barksdale AFB — "Hell's Angels"
303rd Bombardment Group (H) Molesworth, England 12 September 1942–11 June 1945 More combat missions (364) than any other 8AF B-17 Group Dedicated to all who served with this highly decorated group from its activation 3 . . . — Map (db m105224) HM WM
Louisiana (Bossier Parish), Barksdale AFB — Dedicated to the 44th Bomb Group (H)The B-24 Flying Eightballs
14th Combat Wing - 8th Air Force - WWII Shipdham, England 7 Nov. 1942 - 25 May 1945 344 Combat Missions - 330 Enemy A/C Destroyed 8009 sorties delivered 18,980 tons of bombs with 153 A/C losses Two presidential unit citations: . . . — Map (db m105931) HM WM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Coates Bluff
Two blocks east is site of Coates Bluff settlement and homes of early area settlers Larkin Edwards, c.1803, James Coates, c.1817, and John McLeod, c.1835. The first local post office was located here in April, 1838. — Map (db m105311) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Humbug
Formerly Fort Turnbull, built by the Confederates to defend Shreveport, then capital of Louisiana. In 1864, charred logs simulating cannon were used to deter Union forces from attacking. — Map (db m105309) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Turnbull
This marks the site of Fort Turnbull one of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105333) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 1
This Marks the Site of Battery 1 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105334) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 9 — Amzie Moore — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Returning home from WWII, Cleveland businessman Amzie Moore (1911-1982) became a principal architect of early civil rights activism as a founding member of the Mississippi NAACP and the Regional Council of Negro Leadership. . . . — Map (db m90128) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Amzie Moore Home
Amzie Moore (1911-1982), a local Civil Rights leader, built this house in 1941. An army veteran, Moore also worked for the U.S. Postal Service. After returning from WWII, Moore dedicated himself to the civil rights movement, co-founding the . . . — Map (db m90074) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Confederate MonumentC.S.A.
Front (East) To the memory of our Confederate Dead. 1861-65. Dead upon the field of glory Hero fit for song and story. Rear (West) Bolivar County's tribute to southern heroism. No nation . . . — Map (db m90270) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those veterans who made the supreme sacrifice in the World Wars. — Map (db m90465) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Cleveland
Named for President Grover Cleveland. Founded along Jones Bayou and Yazoo and Mississippi Valley R.R. in 1886. Downtown historic area listed in National Register of Historic Places in 1999. — Map (db m90069) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — David R. Bowen
A Cleveland High School graduate, Bowen (D-Miss.) served five terms in Congress (1973-1983). As chair of the Cotton, Rice, and Sugar Subcommittee and a member of the House Agriculture, Foreign Affairs, and Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committees, . . . — Map (db m89935) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Delta Blues Inspires W.C. Handy
While leading his orchestra at a dance on this site c. 1905, Handy was unable to perform requested blues numbers. A local band stepped in and stole the show. "My enlightenment came in Cleveland. That night an American composer was born," he . . . — Map (db m89932) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Hill Demonstration School
In 1926 the Hill Demonstration School opened for grades one through six, with kindergarten classes added in 1929. This laboratory-style school for Delta State student teachers had an initial enrollment of twenty-five and was housed in the basement . . . — Map (db m90127) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Margaret Wade
Lily Margaret Wade (1912-1995) was a standout on Cleveland High School’s girls basketball team and Delta State’s women’s basketball team. Compiling a CHS coaching record of 453-89-6, she began coaching the Lady Statesmen in 1973, winning the AIAW . . . — Map (db m90125) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Chinese Mission School
Founded in 1937 by parents, Cleveland First Baptist Church, and community leaders to provide an education for children of Chinese descent who were excluded from area schools by the 1927 US Supreme Court decision, Gong Lum v. Rice. Students . . . — Map (db m90066) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Cleveland Depot
Four railroad depots have operated here since Cleveland was incorporated in 1886. The first depot—two Yazoo & Mississippi Valley RR cars tied together and parked on a side track—disappeared when a prankster hooked it to an outgoing . . . — Map (db m89937) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 173 — The Enlightenment of W. C. Handy
Front In W.C. Handy's famous account of his "enlightenment" in Cleveland, a ragged local trio was showered with coins after Handy's orchestra of trained musicians had been unable to similarly excite the crowd. In early manuscripts of . . . — Map (db m90071) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — The Marshall Plan
A plan for relief of postwar Europe, suggested by Mississippi native Will Clayton, was first announced here May 8, 1947, by Under Secretary of State Dean Acheson at a meeting of the Delta Council. — Map (db m90126) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
From 1935 to 1942, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority established mobile health clinics to provide medical care to black people in the Delta. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project's director. Primarily based in Mound Bayou, the . . . — Map (db m89762) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — AKA Mobile Health Project
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. sponsored its first mobile health initiative, the Mississippi Health Project from 1935 - 1942. Dr. Dorothy Ferebee, a member of the sorority, was the project director. Ida Jackson was the . . . — Map (db m90149) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Delta Health Center1967
First rural community health center in the United States Opened by Tufts University as Tufts Delta Health Center Third health care facility in Mound Bayou Serves as a much needed health resource for the poor and . . . — Map (db m90509) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Friendship Clinic1948
United Order of Friendship of America opened Friendship Clinic under the leadership of Dr. T. R. M. Howard Second medical facility in Mound Bayou Renamed Sarah Brown Hospital Renamed Mound Bayou Community Hospital . . . — Map (db m90501) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Mound Bayou
Largest U.S. Negro town; settled July 12, 1887 by ex-slaves of Joe Davis, who conceived idea before Civil War: Isaiah T. Montgomery (member of 1890 state convention) & his cousin, Benjamin T. Green. — Map (db m89761) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 161 — Mound Bayou Blues
Front Music has been one of the many facets of African American culture proudly nurtured by the community of Mound Bayou, ranging from blues and R&B in cafes, lounges, and juke joints to musical programs in schools, studios, and . . . — Map (db m90065) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Newton (Keys) Hotel Site
First hotel built in the Village of Mound Bayou "In the matter of sanitary surroundings, in the way of rooming arrangements, and culinary excellence with the matter of dining, the service at the Newton Hotel will satisfy the mostly . . . — Map (db m90470) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Site of Mound Bayou Oil Mill & Manufacturing Company(Cottonseed Oil) — 1912
Organized by Charles Bank Building dedication led by Booker T. Washington More than 15,000 attended dedicatory event Constructing Architect: Thomas W. Cook Construction Foreman: W. H. Cook — Map (db m90504) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 8 — T. R. M. Howard — The Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Mound Bayou businessman and physician Theodore Roosevelt Mason Howard (1908-1976) founded and led Mississippi's pre-eminent civil rights organization in the 1950s, the Regional Council of Negro Leadership. A charismatic speaker . . . — Map (db m90148) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Taborian Hospital1942
International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor, Inc. opened Taborian Hospital under the leadership of P. M. Smith Second oldest hospital for Blacks in Mississippi First hospital in Mound Bayou Placed on the . . . — Map (db m90467) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Locust Grove — 14 — Locust GroveAbandoned to the Rebels — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On the night of July 15, 1863, Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Confederate raiders set up camp along a seven-mile stretch between the villages of Jacksonville and Locust Grove. The following morning, General Morgan rode into Locust . . . — Map (db m108260) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 1-6 — Peebles
Platted in 1881 by Isaiah Custer on the junction of old Zane's Trace (1796-97) and the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881). Incorporated 1886. Named after John G. Peebles, Portsmouth, Ohio businessman. David Nixon constructed the first house in town . . . — Map (db m108198) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — 2-1 — Wickerham Inn1800-01
The inn was built 1800-01 by Peter Wickerham, a Revolutionary War veteran. It was used as an overnight stagecoach stop and tavern on Zane's Trace until ca. 1850. Runaway slaves were hidden here when the "Underground Railroad" was in operation. . . . — Map (db m108129) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Seaman — 1-7 — Seaman
Founded 1887 by John Q. Roads on the Cincinnati & Eastern Railway (1881) and the Old West Union Road (1807). Incorporated 1911. Named after Franklin Seaman who donated land to the railroad for a station. Home of Will Rogers, "The Black King of the . . . — Map (db m108200) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Winchester — 13 — WinchesterCapturing the Daily Stagecoach — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his raiders galloped into Winchester about 8:30 am on July 15, 1863. The rebels immediately began searching businesses and private residences for firearms, food, horses and anything else that . . . — Map (db m108236) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A-92 — Cooper Cemetery
In 1873, Bennet Cooper (1797-1886) gave one-quarter of an acre of land for a family burying ground. His first wife, Lydia, was buried there along with several other family members. The cemetery is located on a ridge behind the Cooper Homeplace which . . . — Map (db m81367) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 202 — Armstrong County
Created 1876. Name honors several Texas pioneers named Armstrong. Ranching became the chief industry when huge JA Ranch was established here in 1876. Farming was introduced after the railroad came through, 1887. County was organized in 1890. . . . — Map (db m96833) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 203 — Armstrong County Jail
Erected in 1953, this building is constructed of stone used to build the first masonry jail in Armstrong County, 1894. Stone for the structure (which replaced a primitive, frame "calaboose") was quarried 14 miles south at Dripping Springs in Palo . . . — Map (db m96830) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 478 — Boy Scout Troop No. 17
One of the oldest Scout troops west of the Mississippi River, this group was organized in May 1912 by pioneer physician Dr. W. A. Warner (1864-1934). The first troop of about 30 boys met in a room above Dr. Warner's drugstore and office. Because of . . . — Map (db m96837) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 818 — Charles Howard Roan(August 16, 1923 — September 18, 1944)
Claude native Charles H. Roan volunteered for World War II service in the U.S. Marine Corps in December 1942. On active duty in the Pacific, he was killed in battle on Peleliu Island when he threw himself on a Japanese grenade, thereby saving the . . . — Map (db m96839) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1284 — Dr. and Mrs. Wm. A. Warner
Two of the most admired and beloved pioneer citizens of Armstrong County, Dr. Warner (1864-1934) was a country physician and his wife Phebe (Kerrick) (1866-1935) was an ardent humanitarian. Natives of Illinois, they were married in Claude in . . . — Map (db m96834) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 1354 — Early Sheriffsof Armstrong County, 1890-1926
Inheriting peacekeeping duty from 1874-90 ranchers, the early sheriffs of Armstrong County (organized 1890) won great public regard. With their families, these men lived in jail quarters and fed the prisoners. There was no salary; fees were earned . . . — Map (db m96831) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 4366 — Route of Coronado Expedition
Led by Francisco Vazquez de Coronado, this trail-blazing expedition set out from Mexico City in 1541 in search of Cibola, fabled 7 Cities of Gold. Finding only Indian pueblos, Coronado changed his course for Quivira, a supposedly wealthy Indian . . . — Map (db m96835) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 2263 — The Great Panhandle Indian Scare of 1891
Although most Indians had left the Texas Panhandle by the 1880s, fear of Indian attacks was still prevalent among settlers who arrived in the next decade. On Jan. 29, 1891, rumors of approaching Indians spread throughout the entire region. For three . . . — Map (db m96838) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Claude — 5524 — Town of Claude
Founded when Fort Worth & Denver Railroad built into area (1887). Claude Ayers, engineer on first passenger train through here, suggested town be named for him — and citizens agreed. Jerry Cavanaugh, first resident, gave land for town. . . . — Map (db m96836) HM
Texas (Armstrong County), Washburn — 5539 — Town of Washburn
Planned by R. E. Montgomery, son-in-law of Fort Worth & Denver City Railway Builder-President Gen. G. M. Dodge. Named for family friend. Promoted 1887, Washburn for a time was F.W. & D.C. Line's terminus. It had first newspaper on Plains— . . . — Map (db m96646) HM
Texas (Bowie County), De Kalb — 9475 — De Kalb
Named for Maj. Gen. Johann de Kalb - a hero of the American Revolution - upon suggestion (1836) of David Crockett, a visitor on his way to fight in Texas War for Independence. Other Texas heroes traveling through here were James B. Fannin and Wm. B. . . . — Map (db m96648) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Hooks — 12409 — Pecan Point Signersof the Texas Declaration of Independence
Five of the most prominent delegates to the Constitutional Convention of Texas, held March, 1836, hailed from Pecan Point, in this vicinity. Richard Ellis (an attorney and judge) was chosen president of the meeting and later served four terms in the . . . — Map (db m96573) HM
Texas (Bowie County), New Boston — 9469 — Bowie County
Named for James Bowie (1799-1836), who fought for Texas freedom from 1819, when he joined the Long Expedition, to 1836 — when he died in defense of the Alamo. Inhabited before 1800 by agricultural Indians, charted 1819 for . . . — Map (db m96141) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — 9471 — Central Christian Church
Founded in 1883 with the Rev. J. C. Mason as first pastor, the Central Christian Church congregation built this structure in 1932. Construction was supervised by architect and church member E. C. Seibert (1878-1941), who used carefully placed bricks . . . — Map (db m96569) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — James Bowie
Front Hero of the Alamo "They never fail who die in a just cause" Love of adventure brought the young South Carolinian to Texas with James Long in 1819. Romance made of him a Mexican citizen and won for him in San . . . — Map (db m96572) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — 9490 — Scott Joplin(November 24, 1868 - April 1, 1917)

Black composer Scott Joplin, often called the "King of Ragtime Music", was born in Texarkana, Texas, five years before the townsite was platted in 1873. His family lived in this vicinity, and he attended nearby Orr School on Laurel Street. His . . . — Map (db m96570) HM

Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — 9510 — TexarkanaA 1973 Centennial Birthday City
Founded when Texas & Pacific railroad platted townsite and held sale of lots on Dec. 8, 1873, to open regional shipping point. Strategically located on famed Indian trail from the Mississippi to Mexico, site had already been named (for its . . . — Map (db m96563) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — 9512 — United States Post Office and Courthouse
Currently, only Federal office building to straddle state line. Present Texas-Arkansas state boundary (established in 1841 by United States and Republic of Texas) passes through center. Each state had separate post offices until 1892, when first . . . — Map (db m96566) HM
Virginia (Bland County), Bastian — The Crooked RoadThe Crooked Road — Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail
From the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Coalfields region, Southwest Virginia is blessed with historic and contemporary music venues, musicians, and fretted instrument makers. Historically isolated, the region retained its strong musical legacy by . . . — Map (db m108225) HM

2555 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2355
Paid Advertisement