Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2575 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 2175
 
Fort Humbug Marker in front of Confederate memorial & National Guard buildings. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
Fort Humbug Marker in front of Confederate memorial & National Guard buildings.
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 7 — Anniston Memorial Hospital — May 14, 1961 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
When seven injured "Freedom Riders" arrived at the Hospital on this date, the mob that had attacked them earlier in the day followed. The Riders were testing desegregation of public transportation in the South by riding buses. The bus they . . . — Map (db m106647) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 6 — Anniston Public Library Desegregation — September 15-16, 1963 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
Desegregation of the Library began when two African American pastors, Reverends William B. McClain and Nimrod Q. Reynolds, peacefully attempted to enter the building on September 15, 1963. Their actions were endorsed by the city of Anniston . . . — Map (db m106644) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — Calhoun County World War I Memorial — 1917 - 1919
South side This tablet is erected in honor of the Soldiers and Sailors from Calhoun County Alabama who served in the Great World War 1917 - 1919 North side Calhoun . . . — Map (db m106706) WM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — George W. Ingram — 1918-1941 — U.S. Navy
Seaman Second Class, United States Navy, George Washington Ingram was killed in action in the defense of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. For Seaman Ingram's bravery, an American destroyer was built and named in his honor. The U.S.S. George . . . — Map (db m106617) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 3 — Greyhound Bus Station Protest, May 14, 1961 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
Front This was the site of the Greyhound bus terminal where on May 14, 1961, a bus carrying black and white Civil Rights Activists known as "Freedom Riders" was attacked by a mob of whites who were protesting desegregation of public . . . — Map (db m106621) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 9 — Seventeenth Street Missionary Baptist Church, Organized 1887 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
Seventeenth Street Missionary Baptist Church served as the home of "mass meetings" for black Annistonians who planned and executed Anniston's part of the Civil Rights Movement. Reverends D.C. Washington (1937-1960) and Nimrod Q. Reynolds (1960-2008) . . . — Map (db m106651) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 1 — Southern Railway Station Attack — January 2, 1961 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
Local "Jim Crow" laws in the first half of the 20th century enforced racial segregation in public transportation facilities throughout the South. The U.S. Supreme Court decision in Boynton v. Virginia (1960) upheld that segregation in these . . . — Map (db m106602) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 5 — The Human Relations Council — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
The Anniston City Commission, on May 16, 1963, established by resolution the Human Relations Council, consisting of five white men and four black men. The Council's purpose was to "make recommendations concerning human relations," and its members . . . — Map (db m106627) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — The Legacy of the Military / Anniston's Military Heritage
The Legacy of the Military On the other side of Anniston, the Army constructed an Ordnance Depot on 15,000 acres west of the city during WWII. Over time, the depot evolved into the region's largest employer. The economic and community . . . — Map (db m106619) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 4 — The Murder of Willie Brewster, July 15, 1965 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
Willie Brewster became the target of white extremists after words spoke at a National States Rights Party encouraged them to commit acts of violence against blacks. As Brewster drove home with co-workers from the night shift at Union Foundry, he was . . . — Map (db m106626) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — Trailways Attack — Seeking Justice
1st Panel Two busloads of Freedom Riders arrived in Alabama on Sunday, May 14, 1961, bound for New Orleans. It was an organized effort by the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) to challenge the South's continued defiance of U. S. . . . — Map (db m106721) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 2 — Trailways Bus Station Attack — May 14, 1961 — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
Throughout the first half of the 20th century, race relations in the South were dominated by local "Jim Crow" laws. Although in 1960 the Supreme Court ruled that racial segregation violated the Interstate Commerce Act, local laws persisted. . . . — Map (db m106605) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — Tyrus Raymond Cobb
In 1904, 18 year old Tyrus Raymond Cobb lived in a boarding house on this site while playing minor league baseball for the Anniston Steelers. From nearby Scarbrough Drug Store on Noble Street he wrote letters, using fictitious names, to sports . . . — Map (db m106606) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Anniston — 8 — West 15th Street Historic District — Anniston Civil Rights Trail
This district was once the economic and social hub of Anniston's African American community. In its heyday (1940-1950), the District was a "city within a city," with businesses that catered to the black community. Grocery stores, restaurants, . . . — Map (db m106650) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Hobson City — Town of Hobson City, Alabama
Front Hobson City is Alabama's first incorporated black city. The area was first known as Mooree Quarter, a black settlement that was part of Oxford, Alabama. After a black man was elected Justice of the Peace in Oxford, one mayor . . . — Map (db m106598) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Oxford — Creek Indian Campaign Memorial
A Memorial to Gen. Andrew Jackson, the Tennessee Patriots, the Alabama Patriots, and pioneers who by their courage and fortitude in 1813 - 1814, won five successful battles in the Creek Indian Campaign. Side . . . — Map (db m106593) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Oxford — Historic Oxford
First incorporated as a town, February 7, 1852, in Benton County, Oxford's second incorporation was approved February 21, 1860 in Calhoun County. Long before this territory was “settled”, it was inhabited by Creek Indians. In the time . . . — Map (db m106589) HM
Alabama (Calhoun County), Oxford — Simmons Park
The town of Oxford was first incorporated by the Alabama legislature in 1852. The original boundaries included a one square mile area enlarged in 1860. Oxford became active as a cotton and trading center but during the Civil War growth slowed, and . . . — Map (db m106591) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Cusseta — Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid / Pat Garrett, "The Man Who Shot Billy the Kid"
Side 1 Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid As sheriff of Lincoln County, Pat Garrett was charged with tracking down and arresting Billy the Kid, a friend from Garrett's saloon keeping days in Fort Sumner, New Mexico. He was captured . . . — Map (db m83262) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — LaFayette Cemetery — Chambers County
LaFayette Cemetery, also known as Westview, began in 1934 with the death of Miss Sarah Gipson. Many early pioneers and veterans of East Alabama are buried here including Revolutionary War Patriot Capt. Alexander Dunn, Col. Charles McLemore, . . . — Map (db m83263) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — Muscogee Indians
. . . — Map (db m71639) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), LaFayette — The LaFayette Presbyterian Church — Organized 1835
This structure was built by early settlers from Virginia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas, and subsequently modified. The original building has stood since 1836. Union Sunday School begun here in 1891. Many eminent ministers have filled the . . . — Map (db m83264) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lanett — Bluffton-Lanett, Alabama
Side 1 Known as Bluffton from about 1835-1893. Bluffton was incorporated in 1865. Name changed to Lanett, town of Lanett incorporated 1893. Its charter was approved in 1895. Early records mention academies, two near this site. The . . . — Map (db m92061) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Lanett — Providence Baptist Church — Chambers County, Alabama
Side 1 Providence Baptist Church was organized before 1836 by Elder Francis Calloway. It was one of the ten charter churches of the East Liberty Baptist Association. The small white frame church was built during the ministry of Reverend . . . — Map (db m83265) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Armed Forces Tribute
A Tribute to the men of our community who have served in the Armed Forces for our country Lest We Forget — Map (db m71652) WM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Fairfax First Christian Church
Side 1 Built 1916 by West Point Mfg. Co. and called Fairfax “Union” Church as it was shared by Disciples of Christ, Methodist, & Baptist groups. It was purchased by the Disciples of Christ after the others left to build their . . . — Map (db m83266) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Fairfax Kindergarten
Built in 1916, the kindergarten was one of five original public buildings in the Fairfax Mill Village. Each mill village had an efficient, attractive, and well kept kindergarten for children ages four to six. LaFayette Lanier, Sr. was the . . . — Map (db m71634) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Langdale Veterans Memorial
In Honor of All Langdale Veterans World War II To those who gave the ultimate sacrifice — Map (db m71654) WM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — Lanier High School
Side 1 The school was located at three different sites on Cherry Drive. Its beginning was in The Blue Hall Building adjacent to Goodsell Methodist Church. Later it was moved to the Dallas/Jackson Home and became the Jackson Hill School. . . . — Map (db m71638) HM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — West Point Manufacturing Company
Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Mfg. Co., Langdale, Ala., and Alabama & Georgia Mfg. Co., River View, Ala., were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of . . . — Map (db m71637) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Thorsby — Scandinavian Cemetery
In 1896 Swedish settlers organized the Concordia Methodist Church and acquired this land for the Concordia Cemetery, later known as the Lutheran Cemetery. This is the former site of Strassburg School. In the 1980s it became known as the Scandinavian . . . — Map (db m83269) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Thorsby — Thorsby Remembers Our Veterans
For the men and women of all branches of the military Thank you for your service God Bless you all — Map (db m73233) WM
Alabama (Chilton County), Thorsby — Thorsby: A Scandinavian Colony in the South
Side 1: Founded in 1895, the Town of Thorsby was the first planned community in Chilton County. The original settlers were people of Scandinavian origin seeking a favorable climate to locate for farming, fruit growing and better health. . . . — Map (db m73231) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Verbena — Mitchell Dam
Named by the Board of Directors of Alabama Power Company to honor James Mitchell President 1912-1920 Major modifications to this project were completed in 1985. Three new generating units with a total capacity of 150,000 . . . — Map (db m72486) HM
Alabama (Chilton County), Verbena — Verbena, Alabama
The only community in the U.S. so designated, Verbena was named for the profuse wild flowers growing in the area. Settlers arrived in the area as early as 1832. Completion of the North-South Railroad and a train depot at Verbena in 1870 enabled . . . — Map (db m68286) HM
Alabama (Choctaw County), Gilbertown — First Oil Well In Alabama
On January 2, 1944, the State of Alabama granted Hunt Oil Company a permit to drill the A.R. Jackson Well No. 1 at this location near Gilbertown. Hunt Oil Company was owned by the famous oil man, H.L. Hunt of Dallas, Texas. Drilling commenced on . . . — Map (db m80351) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Barlow Bend — French's Chapel
First church building of record in Clarke County. Erected here in 1810 by John French of Virginia, who organized Methodist congregation here 1811. Combined with Gainestown Church 1897. — Map (db m101575) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Carlton — Mt. Nebo Death Masks
Side 1 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Mt. Nebo Cemetery is home to the unique folk art of African American inventor and artist, Issac "Ike" Nettles, who used concrete to make images of living people's faces for . . . — Map (db m101576) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Claiborne — 93001517 — Dellet-Bedsole Plantation — C. 1850 — National Register of Historic Places
This 4000 acre complex has been recognized for its contribution to our understanding of the history of Monroe County and the State of Alabama. Originally developed as a cotton plantation during the Antebellum period, this farm has been in continuous . . . — Map (db m80345) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Coffeeville — Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation
The Clarke-Washington Electric Membership Corporation was organized near this site on March 2, 1936, by some 83 members from Clarke and Washington Counties. This was the first rural electric cooperative organized in Alabama under an executive order . . . — Map (db m80356) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — Gainestown
Founded in 1809 by George Strother Gaines as Choctaw-Creek Indian Trading Post on Alabama River, now Gainestown Landing. Here lived Alabama Indians for whom State & River named. At Battle of Maubila De Soto's hogs escaped, from whence . . . — Map (db m101609) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — The Canoe Fight
Side 1 On November 12, 1813, the Canoe Fight, one of the key assaults of the Creek War, took place nearby at the mouth of Randon’s Creek where it flows into the Alabama River. Following the Fort Mims Massacre in August, small bands of . . . — Map (db m101574) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Grove Hill — Elijah & Issac Pugh
Side 1 Near this spot are the graves of American Revolution soldier Elijah Pugh and his son Issac, a War of 1812 veteran. Elijah, born in Guilford Co., N.C. in 1760, was 18 when he joined a patriot band led by Col. Elijah Clarke at the . . . — Map (db m83270) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — C S A Brooke Cannon S-96
  The Brooke cannon designed by Captain John M. Brooke C.S. Navy, and manufactured in Selma, Alabama, was credited by experts North and South the most powerful cannon used in the War for Southern Independence its range was up to 2200 yards. . . . — Map (db m101571) HM WM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — City of Jackson
Side 1 First home of Creek and Choctaw Indians, Jackson’s first pioneer settlers arrived about 1800. The little village was first called Republicville, then Pine Level, before its incorporation by an act of the Mississippi Territory . . . — Map (db m101591) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — First District Agricultural College and Experiment Station — 1896—1936
On this site was located the First District Agricultural College, authorized by an act of the Alabama Legislature and opened in 1896. The street in front was changed from Grove Hill Road to College Avenue in honor of the new school. An Experimental . . . — Map (db m101603) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — Jackson
First village called Republicville. Town laid out in 1815 by Pine Level Land Company and named Pine Level. Incorporated 1816 and renamed Jackson for General Andrew Jackson. First commissioners, David Taylor, David White, Reuben Saffold, Peregrin . . . — Map (db m101589) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — Jackson Prisoner of War Camp
Side 1 Just west of this spot, along Ocre Ave. on a 10-acre tract, was the site of a WWII prisoner of war camp. The camp was one of twenty such labor camps in Alabama. Hdqrs. for the camp was at Camp Shelby in Hattisburg, MS. The camp . . . — Map (db m101593) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — The Clarke County War Memorial
Dedicated 1998 A.D. to the Clarke Countians Known and unknown That made the Supreme sacrifice By giving their Lives for their Country and for What they believed in — Map (db m101813) WM
Alabama (Clarke County), Jackson — Upper Salt Works
The area from Stave Creek to Jackson Creek was one of sites for the making of salt during the years 1862-64. Furnaces of native stone were built and salt water from dug wells evaporated by boiling in large kettles. Amount of salt six hundred . . . — Map (db m101607) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Bartram's Trail
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Clarke County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King George . . . — Map (db m101568) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Central Salt Works
Here was located the large and important Central Salt Works. Official government reports indicate that salt was being mined at this works as early as 1816, but the Indians had obtained salt here for centuries prior to this. During the blockade of . . . — Map (db m101605) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Rockville — Gravesite of Major Jeremiah Austill
Side 1 Near this site, is the gravesite of Maj. Jeremiah Austill, folk hero & prominent figure in the early settlement of Clarke County. Born in 1794 in S. C., he lived, along with his parents, Capt. Evan and Sara Austill, among the . . . — Map (db m101588) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Suggsville — Fort Madison-Creek War 1812-13
This marks the site of pioneer stockade commanded by Captains Sam Dale and Evan Austill. Choctaw Chieftain Pushmattaha often here. Expedition terminating in noted Canoe Fight on Alabama River immediately east of this site, was . . . — Map (db m101566) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Thomasville War Memorial — Lest We Forget
Dedicated to the Glory of God and in Honor of the Men and Women who have Served their Country — Map (db m101611) WM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Thomasville's Early History
Side 1 In the summer of 1887, a notice was published confirming that the route for the Mobile and West Alabama Railroad would be the Choctaw Corner route. Soon the sounds of building could be heard over the swamp that was the . . . — Map (db m101601) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Thomasville — Williams’ Temple CME Church
Side 1 Founded by the CME (Christian Methodist Episcopal) Church as the only school for black students in the area in the early 1900’s, Williams’ Temple eventually consolidated with another school in Booker City to form Miles College . . . — Map (db m101596) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Winn — Fort Landrum Site
Built around the home of John Landrum Used during the Creek War of 1813 First Clarke County Court met here in 1813 Succeeding courts were held here until 1819 — Map (db m101584) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Winn — Union Methodist Church
Established 1858, Ό mile east of here. Camp meetings were held in summers. Congregation moved to site near Peniel 1894. The "arbor" and church building were left at original site. These buildings convenient for annual encampment of county . . . — Map (db m101579) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Ashland, Alabama
Side 1 Clay County was formed by an act of the Alabama General Assembly on December 7, 1866. Less than a year later, Ashland was established as the county seat on land donated by Hollingsworth Watts for the construction of a . . . — Map (db m95087) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Clay County / Clay County Courthouse
Clay County Established Dec. 7, 1866 Boundaries of eastern Talladega County and western Randolph County were redrawn in 1866 to create the 58th county of Alabama. The name honors U. S. Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky. Historical place . . . — Map (db m95095) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Clay County and the Creek Indian War of 1813-14 / Clay County and the Creek Indian Confederacy
Side 1 Clay County and the Creek Indian War of 1813-14 During the Creek Indian War of 1813-14, a subset of the War of 1812 with England, numerous figures prominent in American history marched over what would become Clay . . . — Map (db m95100) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — First Baptist Church of Ashland
Side 1 Union Baptist Church. later named the First Baptist Church of Ashland, was founded with 23 charter members in 1865, six years before the town was incorporated. Members met in a log cabin in the southwestern part of Ashland. From . . . — Map (db m95101) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Goodwater — Battle of Enitachopko — Creek Indian War 1813-14. — ← 4 mi. E.
Hostile Creeks attacked Andrew Jackson, withdrawing to Ft. Strother, Jan. 24, 1814. His troops broke through lines, kept on to Ft. Strother. But Creeks boasted that they defeated 'Capt. Jack', drove him to the Coosa. — Map (db m95076) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Lineville — John Richmond McCain
Teacher   Lawyer   Statesman He spent his life largely in promoting the welfare of others 1865   1939Map (db m95079) HM
Alabama (Clay County), Lineville — Lineville Alabama Monument
  This historic site marks the first settlement known as "Lundie's Crossroads" settled in 1838. The name changed to "County Line" in 1856. Clay County was formed on this line from Randolph and Talladega Counties in 1866. The . . . — Map (db m95103) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — G18 — Chicot County — County Seat
The county seat of Chicot County was located at Columbia in 1823, where it remained until 1855. The county took its name from Point Chicot, on the Mississippi. — Map (db m89773) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Chicot County Confederate Monument — CSA — 1861 - 1865
Front (West side) "To the Confederate soldiers of Chicot County, the record of whose sublime self sacrifice and undying devotion is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity." Rear (East side)   We care not . . . — Map (db m90255) WM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Col. Charles A. Lindbergh
Col. Charles A. Lindbergh Made his first night flight here April 1923 — Map (db m89780) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh
In April 1923 Lindbergh, then an unknown 21-year-old mail pilot, experienced engine trouble and landed his airplane on the now-abandoned golf course behind this site of the old Lake Village County Club. He remained in Lake Village overnight. During . . . — Map (db m89779) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Italian Immigrants On Sunnyside Plantation
In 1895 Austin Corbin, a New York banker and land developer, working with immigration officials brought 100 families from north central Italy to grow cotton at Sunnyside, a plantation located between the Mississippi River and Lake Chicot. These . . . — Map (db m89774) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — 79 — Lakeport in the Civil War
Side 1 When Arkansas went to war in 1861, Lycurgus and Lydia Johnson and their family stayed with their home at Lakeport. By 1862, U.S. gunboats were common on the Mississippi River, and on Sept. 6, 1862, Confederate troops burned 158 . . . — Map (db m89797) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Lakeport Plantation House
Side 1 The Lakeport Plantation house was constructed circa 1859 for Lycurgus and Lydia Taylor Johnson. The skilled craftsmanship and lasting character are testaments to those who built the house. It is preserved in remembrance of all who . . . — Map (db m90491) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — New Hope Missionary Baptist Church
Jim Kelley, a slave, organized this church in 1860. His owner allowed the use of this plot of this plot of ground on which to build a church. On May 15, 1873, Mr. and Mrs. William B. Street deeded the property to the trustees of the church. New Hope . . . — Map (db m89777) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — Saunders-Pettit-Chapman-Cook Plantation Home
This home was built about the year 1848 for John H. Saunders and his wife Martha A. Pettit Saunders. During the Civil War engagement at Ditch Bayou in 1864 the house was used as a hospital for soldiers of both armies. A number of military dead were . . . — Map (db m107737) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Battle at Ditch Bayou
It is the morning of June 6, 1864. Rain has created a muddy mess. To your left are four cannon. To your right are 600 cavalrymen and two more cannon. These men served under Confederate Colonel Colten Greene. To your front is Ditch Bayou, and 700 . . . — Map (db m90432) HM
Arkansas (Chicot County), Lake Village — The Casualties at Ditch Bayou June 6, 1864
The battle at Ditch Bayou was a Federal effort to drive Confederates away from the Mississippi River, where the Confederates had been harassing Union shipping. Even though the Confederates were outnumbered here, they were able to inflict heavy . . . — Map (db m90418) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Catoosa County War Memorial
(Front) Dedicated to the memory of the men of Catoosa County, GA. who gave their lives and to all who served in World Wars I and II. (Back) Dedicated to the memory of the men of Catoosa County, GA. who gave their . . . — Map (db m73935) WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Flame of Freedom
Flame of Freedom dedicated to The Veterans of All Wars Erected in 1969 by The American Legion Post No 40 Ringgold, Georgia — Map (db m73934) WM
Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 38 — Battle of Jonesborough — The First Day — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail
On Friday, August 19, 1864, 4,400 Federal cavalrymen under General H. Brigadier Judson Kilpatrick galloped into Jonesborough (Jonesboro). An Illinois trooper described the town as "a row of stores, dwellings and shops on each side of the . . . — Map (db m103354) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 39 — Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery — Battle of Jonesborough - the Second Day — Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail
Located near the center of fighting on the second day of the Battle Jonesborough (Jonesboro), the final major battle of the Atlanta Campaign, this cemetery contains the graves of up to 1,000 Confederate soldiers killed while fighting here on August . . . — Map (db m103182) HM
Kentucky (Casey County), Liberty — 1835 — Casey County Courthouse
Present seat of justice, built 1888, was preceded by log building, 1809, and brick structure, 1837. Architects for current courthouse were the noted McDonald Bros. of Louisville. Its asymmetrical design and lavish use of stone trim (by T. D. . . . — Map (db m83438) HM
Kentucky (Casey County), Liberty — Casey County War Memorial
Dedicated To The Memory Of Our Comrades Who Entered The Service Of Their Country From Casey County, Kentucky And Who Gave Their Lives In The World War Erected by the Citizens of Casey Co. and elsewhere under auspices of . . . — Map (db m84102) WM
Kentucky (Casey County), Liberty — 888 — Colonel Silas Adams
A spirited USA Civil War leader. Enlisted July 11, 1861. Aided Col. Frank Wolford with recruiting of lst Ky. Cav. Distinctive service many campaigns. Succeeded Wolford in command, Mar., 1864. Mustered out, Dec. 31, 1864. Born, 1839, Pulaski Co. . . . — Map (db m83441) HM
Kentucky (Casey County), Liberty — 684 — First Kentucky Cavalry
First Kentucky Cavalry Casey County, home of one-third of this Union regiment and of its commanders Col. Frank L. Wolford and Col. Silas Adams. Others came from eight nearby Ky. counties. Recruited July 1861, trained at Camp Dick . . . — Map (db m83439) HM
Kentucky (Casey County), Liberty — 917 — John Fry
Entered land on Carpenter's Creek 8 miles north, 1780, on a Treasury Warrant for service in Revolution. Land Grant signed, 1783, by Gov. Benj. Harrison. Engaged in Battle of Point Pleasant, 1774. Served in Rockingham Militia, Va., during Revolution. . . . — Map (db m83446) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1910 — Charles S. Morehead, 1802-1868
Charles S. Morehead, 1802-1868 This Ky. governor and congressman was born near Bardstown. A graduate of Transylvania, he began law practice in Hopkinsville. Morehead served in state legislature, as attorney general, in U.S. House of . . . — Map (db m88913) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1224 — County Named, 1797
For Col. William Christian, native Virginian, soldier, politician, and pioneer. Served as Colonel in Revolution, member Va. Legislature. Moved family to Jefferson County in 1785, where his Va. land grants totaled 9,000 acres. Killed 1786, defending . . . — Map (db m88910) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 577 — Courthouse Burned
Gen. Hylan B. Lyon with 800 men invaded Ky., Dec. 1864, to enforce CSA draft law and divert USA from Nashville. In 23 days he burned seven courthouses used by Union forces. See map on reverse side. Courthouse at Hopkinsville burned Dec. 12. All . . . — Map (db m88907) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1313 — Famous Prophet
Edgar Cayce-psychic counselor and healer. Accepted nationally, he was one of the best known in this field. A humble and religious man, Cayce never profited from his predictions. Used his reputed gift of extrasensory perception, including medical . . . — Map (db m88918) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1045 — First Presbyterian
Organized in 1813, traditionally by the Rev. Gideon Blackburn, a pioneer minister and missionary to the Cherokee Indians. Present church building, not including later additions, was built during the period 1848-1852. Used as a hospital during severe . . . — Map (db m88905) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 618 — Forrest Reconnoitered
CSA Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest with 6 cavalry companies joined Gen. Charles Clark here Nov. 15, 1861. Forrest made reconnaissance and foraging expeditions out of here. See map on other side. When on one he defeated USA forces in Battle of . . . — Map (db m88922) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1690 — Grace Episcopal Church
Side 1 Organized in 1831 by local laymen with aid of George P. Giddinge, Md. missionary, who became first rector, and Benjamin B. Smith, later first Bishop of Ky. and Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. First church was built ca. . . . — Map (db m88903) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 880 — Hdqrs. CSA Commander / 101 CSA Unknown
Side 1 Hdqrs. CSA Commander Nathan Bedford Forrest, stationed in Hopkinsville during winter of 1861-62, resided, with wife and daughter, in log house, the third residence south. As colonel, in command 6 companies CSA Cavalry, . . . — Map (db m88921) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1501 — Hotel Latham
Erected on this site, 1894, and named for Hopkinsville native and philanthropist, John C. Latham, Jr. Structure was Italian Renaissance style. It became a well-known tourist stop, social and civic center. Among famous guests: Vice President Charles . . . — Map (db m88902) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 2190 — Lewis & Clark in Kentucky — William Clark / Thomas Allsbury
Side 1 William Clark William Clark, coleader of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and his family stopped at Allsbury’s Tavern in Hopkinsville on Oct. 2, 1809. In 1807 Clark was appointed militia brigadier general and chief Indian . . . — Map (db m88909) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1041 — Peace Park
Bequest to city of Hopkinsville with funds for beautification and maintenance by John C. Latham of New York, a native of Hopkinsville. A generous and forgiving gift. Mr. Latham was owner of a large tobacco warehouse on this site that was destroyed, . . . — Map (db m88897) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1268 — Pioneer Graveyard — 1812-1858
Within this enclosure are buried 185 named persons, and many more unknown, all early settlers of Christian County. The land for this cemetery was donated in 1812 by Bartholomew Wood, the first settler in Hopkinsville. He also donated land and timber . . . — Map (db m88914) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 1042 — The Trail of Tears
A camping ground, Oct. 1838, for a part of the Cherokee Indians who were forcibly moved from their homes in the Smoky Mountain region of N. Car. and Tenn. to Indian Terr., now Okla. Badly clothed and fed, hundreds became ill and many died, among . . . — Map (db m88883) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — Trail of Tears Indian Camping Grounds
In 1838 this lot, then in woods, was used as camping grounds for 13,500 Indians removed along this route from the southern states to Oklahoma, in detachments of 1500. Among those who died in camp were two noted Cherokees Chief . . . — Map (db m88886) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Hopkinsville — 882 — Union General's Grave
Brig. Gen. James S. Jackson, USA, killed in battle of Perryville on Oct. 8, 1862, is buried in south end of cemetery. Born Woodford Co., Ky., 1823. First Lt., Mexican War, then practiced law in Greenup. He came Hopkinsville, 1855. Elected to . . . — Map (db m88916) HM
Kentucky (Christian County), Oak Grove — Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial
"But the child's sob in the silence curses deeper than the strong man in his wrath" –Elizabeth Barrett Browning The Cry of the Children ----------------------------- Dedicated to the victims of the April 19, 1995 Oklahoma City . . . — Map (db m89087) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Humbug
Formerly Fort Turnbull, built by the Confederates to defend Shreveport, then capital of Louisiana. In 1864, charred logs simulating cannon were used to deter Union forces from attacking. — Map (db m105309) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — Fort Turnbull
This marks the site of Fort Turnbull one of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105333) HM
Louisiana (Caddo Parish), Shreveport — This Marks the Site of Battery 1
This Marks the Site of Battery 1 One of the eighteen batteries and four forts which formed the Confederate defenses of Shreveport 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m105334) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Bruce — 194 — Calhoun County Blues
Front The musical heritage of Calhoun County was illuminated in 2014 via international acclaim for longtime Bruce resident and Sabougla native Leo “Bud” Welch, The guitarist and vocalist began playing blues in his teens and . . . — Map (db m107618) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Bruce — Calhoun County War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of all citizens of Calhoun County Mississippi who gave their lives in the service of our country ________ World War I World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam Era ________ 1917 — . . . — Map (db m108753) WM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Calhoun City — Calhoun County Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the citizens of Calhoun County who served our country in peacetime and war with honor — Map (db m108752) HM
Mississippi (Calhoun County), Calhoun City — Thomas T. Gore
First settler in what is now Calhoun City. Born 1776. Left S. Carolina in 1817 for Alabama. Came to Mississippi in 1840. Pioneer, politician, patriot, planter. Died October 20, 1855. Buried on old homesite ½ mi. NW. — Map (db m107543) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Egypt — Egypt Station
During a raid in the winter of 1864-65, Union Brig. Gen. Benjamin Grierson's cavalry encountered Confederates at Egypt Station on the Mobile & Ohio R.R. The Confederate force included a large number of former Union prisoners of war released on . . . — Map (db m107541) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Carnegie Library
Estab. in 1909, this is one of Mississippi's oldest community libraries and its first Carnegie library. School superintendent L.B. Reid secured money from Andrew Carnegie Foundation for this facility. — Map (db m107610) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Houston — Houston
On Natchez Trace. Named for Sam Houston, friend of Joel Pinson, donor of site. Made county seat at creation of Chickasaw Co., Feb. 9, 1836. In 1909 state's first Carnegie library built here. — Map (db m107556) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
In this vicinity on February 22, 1864, Benjamin Grierson ordered McCrillis' Federal brigade into a line of battle opposite Col. Barteau's Confederate brigade of Forrest's cavalry corps. Barteau's men, from the ridge east of the railroad, advanced as . . . — Map (db m102742) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Battle of Okolona
On February 22, 1864, Col. Jeffrey Forrest, commanding a Confederate cavalry brigade, was killed in action in this vicinity, near the extinct town of Prairie Mount. Born in 1838, Forrest was the younger brother of Lt. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, . . . — Map (db m102744) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Chickasaw County Confederate Tribute — 1861—1865
Chickasaw County's tribute to the sons who wore the gray and were faithful to the cause. Erected under auspices of Okolona Chapter U.D.C. No. 117. — Map (db m102750) WM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Confederate Cemetery
As a station on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad, Okolona was the site of a large hospital during the Civil War. In 1862, following the battle of Shiloh, hundreds of wounded Confederates were brought here by train. Those who died were buried in this . . . — Map (db m102747) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102748) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona
Founded as Rose Hill 1845. Chartered as Okolona 1850. Named for Chickasaw Indian brave. Scene for three Civil War battles. First Mississippi Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized and equipped here. — Map (db m102749) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona College
The Okolona Normal and Industrial School was founded in 1902 by Dr. Wallace A. Battle. It educated African Americans through high school and provided industrial training for young adults. At its peak, the school's enrollment topped two hundred . . . — Map (db m102740) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Okolona in the Civil War
Throughout the Civil War, Confederate forces were stationed in Okolona, taking advantage of the agriculturally rich prairie region. With a large supply depot, the town was the object of Union Raids at least twice. On February 22, 1864, Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m102746) HM
Mississippi (Chickasaw County), Okolona — Our Confederate Dead Soldiers' Monument
Front Love's tribute to a thousand Southern soldiers who sleep in our Confederate cemetery, who died in the war 1861—1865. Right Side List of Dead Rear List of . . . — Map (db m102936) WM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Memorial Chapel — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
The building was donated to the State of Mississippi by the Rodney Foundation. It was moved to this site in 1983, and has been restored to its original condition. It will be used as a non-denominational chapel by religious and other groups approved . . . — Map (db m104099) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf
During the April 29, 1863 bom- bardment of Grand Gulf these rifle pits and the "covered way" which linked Fort Wade and Fort Cobun were held by the 3rd Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104338) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Rifle Pits — Battle of Grand Gulf
During the April 29, 1863, bombardment of Grand Gulf, these rifle pits were held by the 6th Missouri (Confederate). — Map (db m104293) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — First Grand Gulf Naval Battle — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
In May 1862, cannoneers of Brookhaven Light Artillery, commanded by Captain James Hoskins, reached Grand Gulf. Hoskins had gunners emplace and mask four 6-pounders on bluffs behind the village. The task was to harass the Federals fleet commanded by . . . — Map (db m103932) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Wade
On a shelf overlooking the charred ruins of Grand Gulf the Confederate engineers built Fort Wade. Guibor's and Wade's Missouri Batteries manned its four big guns. When Admiral David G. Farragut's squadron passed Grand Gulf on March 31, the guns of . . . — Map (db m104093) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Fort Wade Ammunition Magazine
Destroyed by the Confederates on the morning of May 3, 1863 when Grand Gulf could no longer be held against the Federal army approaching from Port Gibson, the large sections of iron grate are the remains of the town's jail which was moved into the . . . — Map (db m104094) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf Military Park — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
In 1958 the Mississippi Legislature created the Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission to purchase 1and and develop the Grand Gulf site. The Grand Gulf Military State Park opened in May, 1962. Dedication ceremonies were held April 7, 1968. On its . . . — Map (db m103924) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104296) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Gun Emplacement — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
To guard against a Union attack in their rear, the Confederates threw up this work. Note the embrasures for four field guns and the ditch fronting the parapet. — Map (db m104301) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church — 1868 - 1870 — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Listed in National Register of Historic Places, the church building was constructed in 1868, as the once flourishing river town was declining. Church completion was in the year preceding the disastrous 1869 fire. Although there is no recorded . . . — Map (db m104103) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church — 1890 - 1957 — Windsor Battlefield Tour
During 1890, the priest's house was constructed and the mission received a Christmas gift from the Society at Brussels for "Poor Churches" as one of the most destitute churches of the diocese. This gift probably contained the vestments and altar . . . — Map (db m104105) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Scotia — Port Gibson Historic Tour
Built by Thomas Foster as a one room log house in 1768 in the community of Scotia, located 5 miles south of the present town of Roxie in Franklin County, Mississippi. About 1789 a "dog trot" was added to connect a second room. The upstairs was added . . . — Map (db m104291) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Second Grand Gulf Naval Battle — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
In April, 1863 Major General Ulysses Grant decide to alter his Vicksburg strategy by moving his troops down the Mississippi River. On April 29, 1863 the Federals launched a determined assault on Grand Gulf. The Confederates made a rigorous reply to . . . — Map (db m103933) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104289) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Supporting Battery — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104300) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Buildup for War — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
By the use of flying batteries, the Confederates were so mobile that the Union troops had much difficulty in stopping fortification of bluffs behind Grand Gulf. Harassment forced Commodore David Farragut to convoy the unarmed ships. In March, 1863, . . . — Map (db m103925) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Spanish House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
This house was built in the late 1790's of cypress, poplar and heart pine and put together with wooden pegs instead of nails. The Spanish built structure represents one of several homesteads erected by five different groups of "Conquerors" who . . . — Map (db m103935) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — This XIII-inch Mortar — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
This XIII-inch Mortar was probably used by the Union in the fight for Vicksburg. In the early 1900's it was seen partially buried in the levee on Davis Island. These mortars were mounted on schooners or box-like boats. . . . — Map (db m104294) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Victories and Defeats - The Cost of War — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
Despite the estimated more than 2,500 heavy projectiles fired into the Confederate forts, there was little damage. The Confederates suffered three dead, including Colonel Wade, and eighteen wounded. Union losses totaled nineteen dead and fifty-seven . . . — Map (db m103929) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — War Comes to Grand Gulf — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
No town in Mississippi felt the sting of the Civil War worse than did Grand Gulf. In the spring of 1862, Commodore David Farragut sent his powerful ocean-going squadron up the Mississippi River. Baton Rouge and Natchez fell, but Vicksburg refused to . . . — Map (db m103928) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Water Wheel — Port Gibson Historic Tour
This water wheel was originally built for Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Peacock of Mendenhall Ms., in 1948 and was donated by them to this park in 1971.   The wheel was built for the purpose of generating electricity by water power that operated a Delco . . . — Map (db m104095) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — Bruinsburg
About 14 miles west at the mouth of Bayou Pierre is the old river port settled by Peter Bryan Bruin in 1788. It was visited by Aaron Burr in 1807. Grant landed there in Vicksburg Campaign of 1863. — Map (db m103797) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Deposit — The Bernheimer Complex
Built by Samuel and Jacob, prominent Jewish businessmen, this complex forms an unusual group of consecutively constructed buildings of various architectural styles. This house, built in 1901, replaced an earlier one used by Gen. U.S. Grant as his . . . — Map (db m103796) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Bayou Pierre Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
Of the three original mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre, only one remains. A pyramidal platform, Mound A is currently 16 feet tall. Excavations indicate that Native Americans built the mound in multiple stages during the Coles Creek Period, from AD . . . — Map (db m103785) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Campaign, Siege, and Defense of Vicksburg: 1863. — Battle of Port Gibson, Mississippi, May 1.
The Union Army under command of Maj. Gen. U.S. Grant was composed of the 13th Corps and Logan's Division of the 17th Corps. The Confederate Army, under command of Brig. Gen. John S. Bowen, was composed of Tracy's, Cockrell's, Green's, and Baldwin's . . . — Map (db m104412) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County
Established on January 27, 1802, by first General Assembly. Claiborne County was the fourth county organized in the Mississippi Territory. Carved from Jefferson County (formerly Pickering County), of the Old Natchez District, the county was named . . . — Map (db m103802) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County Courthouse — Port Gibson Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104339) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Englesing Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
702 Church. Ca. 1817 Federal. The birthplace of Constance Cary who was one of the young ladies involved in making the first Confederate battleflag. The small formal garden is the only one of its type remaining in Port Gibson. — Map (db m104374) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 5 — Fight for Hankinson's Ferry
As Logan's division marched west toward Grand Gulf on May 3, 1863, M. M. Crocker's division moved toward Hankinson's Ferry. At Kennison Creek, one mile north, the road was blocked by two Confederate brigades. After a spirited skirmish, the . . . — Map (db m103822) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Baptist M.B. Church
Founded in 1867 by freedmen. Moved to this site ca. 1896. Played a vital role in the Civil Rights Movement in Port Gibson. Beginning in 1965, the NAACP held meetings here to promote boycotts of local white merchants, who subsequently filed suit. In . . . — Map (db m103805) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church
Second oldest Presbyterian Church in Old Southwest. Org. April, 1807, as Bayou Pierre Church. Moved to Port Gibson 1827. Zebulon Butler first resident pastor, 1827-60. Present structure built 1859. — Map (db m103807) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — First Presbyterian Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
609 Church. 1859-60 Romanesque Revival. This church with the hand pointing to heaven is the most famous building in Claiborne County. The original hand of gilded wood was carved by young Daniel Foley. — Map (db m104345) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Gage House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
602 Church. Ca. 1830-50 Federal/Greek Revival. One of the two remaining examples of this architectural style in Claiborne County. Double galleries have modified Tuscan colonnettes. The brick dependency possibly predated the home. — Map (db m104368) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Grant at Hankinson's Ferry
After occupying Willow Springs on May 5. 1863,. Gen. U. S. Grant divided his force. The XVII Corps advanced on Hankinson s Ferry 5 miles north of here in two columns. Gen. M. M. Crocker's division driving up this road encountered a Confederate . . . — Map (db m103849) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Guthrie Home — Port Gibson Historic Tour
703 Church. Ca. 1840 Greek Revival/Italianate. Italianate long windows and protruding bay windows are typical of many houses built just before the Civil War. The interesting and unusual etched glass panel in the front door depicts a pelican. — Map (db m104344) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Lightfoot Park — Horace L. Lightfoot (1927-1976) — Tradesman • Businessman • Public Servant
• Claiborne County native educated in local schools and Alcorn A & M College • First black citizen elected to the Claiborne County Board of Education - 1969 to 1974 • Operated a successful business on this site • Owned an . . . — Map (db m104424) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Methodist Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
901 Church. 1858-60 Romanesque Revival. The original building was constructed in 1826, but was destroyed by fire in 1858. The new church built on the same site, was dedicated July 8, 1860. — Map (db m104399) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson
Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's . . . — Map (db m103803) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Shreve House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
701 Church. Ca. 1825 Federal. The original floor plan consisted of four rooms, no center hall, front and back galleries. The designer and builder was Horatio Nelson Spencer, a prominent local attorney. — Map (db m104354) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Site of the Hermitage
W. 2 mi. Built about 1800 by George W. Humphreys, Birthplace of Benjamin Grubb Humphreys (1808-82). Brigadier General, C.S.A. Governor of Mississippi from 1865 to 1868. — Map (db m103800) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — 4 — Skirmish at Willow Springs
When Union Gen. J. B. McPherson's XVII Corps reached Grindstone Ford, 2 miles south of here at dusk on May 2, 1863, the troops found the bridge across Big Bayou Pierre burning. Col. J. H. Wilson and a detachment put out the fire. During the night . . . — Map (db m103855) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — St. James Episcopal Church — Port Gibson Historic Tour
808 Church. 1884-85. Ca. 1897 High Victorian Gothic. The architect was W.P. Wentworth from Boston. The entire structure reflects contemporary architectural developments in Massachusetts rather than in Mississippi. — Map (db m104400) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Temple Gemiluth Chassed — Port Gibson Historic Tour
706 Church. 1891-92 Victorian Moro-Byzantine Revival. The architects of Temple Gemiluth Chassed, which means gift of the righteous, combined Moorish, Byzantine and Romanesque styles to produce a building unique in Mississippi. — Map (db m104343) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Federals Occupy Port Gibson
About dark on May 1, 1863, Gen. W. E. Baldwin's Confederates retreated through Port Gibson. After crossing the suspension bridge over Little Bayou Pierre, the Confederates set it afire. On the morning of the 2d. the Union army entered the beautiful . . . — Map (db m103808) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — The Port Gibson Boycott
On April 1, 1966, the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) imposed an economic boycott on the majority of the white-owned businesses in Port Gibson/Claiborne County. In the months leading up to the . . . — Map (db m104340) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
Windsor Mounds includes four rectangular platform mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre. Mound A, visible from the road, is the largest at over 30 feet, and has a ramp extending toward the east. Mounds B, C, and D range in height from 3 to 16 feet. The . . . — Map (db m103783) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Chickasaw Burial Ground
Excavated June 1934 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History Dunbar Rowland, LL.D., Director Jordan B. Chambers, Archeologist — Marked 1934 by — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m107820) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Clay County World War I Memorial
Front Erected 1927 by Horse-Shoe Robertson Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution in tender memory of Clay County World War Veterans. West Point Army Officers: Navy - Marine {List of names} Clay County Army . . . — Map (db m107332) WM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Indian Camp Ground
Marked 1934 by Israel Miller Society Children of the American Revolution — Members — {Listing of members and titles} Built by A.J. Pearson & SonsMap (db m107821) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Mary Holmes College
Named for Mary Holmes of Rockford, Illinois, who dedicated her life to education, this school was founded in Jackson in 1892 by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Board of Missions for Freedmen as a seminary for African American women. Mary Holmes . . . — Map (db m107537) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Payne Field Site — Advanced Aviation School
. . . — Map (db m107331) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Prehistoric Indian Burial Mound
Constructed ca. 100 B.C.-A.D. 400 for the burial of high-status members of an unknown local tribal group. An associated village site lies across the highway to the Southwest. — Map (db m107534) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — The Battle of Ellis Bridge
Front In memory of those who fought to liberate West Point Feb. 21, 1864 Their actions resulted in victory against a vastly superior Federal army. Their bravery will always be remembered. Rear . . . — Map (db m107823) HM WM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — 16 — Aaron Henry — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Aaron Henry, (1922-1977), Clarksdale pharmacist, was a major early grassroots activist in the civil rights movement. As local NAACP president, he led the early 1960s Clarksdale boycott campaign, during which he was arrested and . . . — Map (db m90064) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — 180 — Big Jack Johnson
Front The Clarksdale area is famed for its many legendary blues artists who achieved their greatest success after moving away, such as Muddy Waters, Ike Turner, and John Lee Hooker. But there were world-renowned musicians who . . . — Map (db m90061) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Carnegie Public Library
In 1909 steel magnate Andrew Carnegie was contacted by local women's club member Liliian Waddell about sponsoring a public library. In 1911 the Carnegie Foundation gave $10,000 to the city of Clarksdale to build and equip a public library, with the . . . — Map (db m89927) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Clarksdale
County seat of Coahoma County, was founded in 1869 by John Clark, for whom the town was named. Situated in one of the most fertile regions of the world, it has grown into one of the leading cities of the Yazoo Mississippi Delta. It . . . — Map (db m89749) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Clarksdale
Founded 1868 at crossing of Indian trails and on possible route of De Soto's expedition. Chartered 1882. Coahoma co-county seat, 1892; sole seat since 1936. Home of Gov. Earl Leroy Brewer. — Map (db m89925) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — 170 — Delta Blues Museum
Front The Delta Blues Museum, the world's first museum devoted to blues, was founded on January 31, 1979, by Sid Graves, director of Clarksdale's Carnegie Public Library. Originally housed in a room of the Myrtle Hall Elementary . . . — Map (db m90046) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Dr. Aaron Henry
Born near Clarksdale, Aaron Henry was an American civil rights leader, politician, and head of the Mississippi branch of the NAACP. He was one of the founders of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, which tried to seat their . . . — Map (db m90389) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — First Baptist M.B. Church
In the late 1880s a group of African Americans established the Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church near the Sunflower River, under the leadership of their first pastor Minister A. O. Gaston. The church would be moved to this location in 1918, . . . — Map (db m90063) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Harvey B. Heidelberg
Harvey Brown Heidelberg was born in Shubuta, Mississippi, on March 7, 1883. Educated in the Shubuta school system and at Southern University in Greensboro, Alabama, Millsaps College in Jackson, and the University of Michigan, he began his career in . . . — Map (db m89928) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — 111 — Ike Turner
Front Rock ‘n’ roll and rhythm & blues pioneer Ike Turner began his career playing blues and boogie woogie piano in Clarksdale. Turner was born less than a mile south-west of this site, at 304 Washington Avenue in the Riverton . . . — Map (db m90041) HM
North Carolina (Cherokee County), Murphy — Nuya Saligugi — (Cherokee for Stone Turtle)
Carved and left by ancient man in a soapstone quarry near Nottely River, 4 miles west of Murphy. Moved here for protection and study. — Map (db m99009) HM
North Carolina (Cherokee County), Murphy — Site of Fort Butler
Commanded by Genl. Winfield Scott during the round up of the Cherokee Indians for removal to Oklahoma in 1837-1838 — — — — — — — Donated to Town of Murphy by Tar Heel . . . — Map (db m99008) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Miamiville — 9 — Miamiville — Derailment of the "Kilgour" — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's 2,000 cavalrymen, laden with artillery and wagons, began fording the Little Miami River around 7 am on July 14, 1863. Scouts rode ahead to establish defensive perimeters. About half a mile . . . — Map (db m108242) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Miamiville — 10 — Miamiville — Fighting at the Bridges — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
Early on July 14, 1863, Confederate Colonel Basil Duke's brigade was the first of Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's cavalry to splash across the Little Miami River at Porter's Mill. Duke's initial objective was to capture the . . . — Map (db m108245) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 30 — Charles B. Huber Farm — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108587) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 27 — Charles B. Huber Home Site — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108591) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 28 — Dr. L.T. Pease Home Site — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108590) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — In Recognition of 200 Years of Freedom and Dedication — Williamsburg, Ohio Bicentennial — 1796-1996
This monument is dedicated to the pioneers who early in the year 1796 braved many dangers and suffered numerous hardships in order to establish the small settlement of Lytlestown, later to be named Williamsburgh, along the banks of the East Fork of . . . — Map (db m108602) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 26 — Marcus Sims - Huber Tannery Location — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108589) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 11 — Williamsburg — Morgan's First Ohio Campsite — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
About 4 pm on July 14, 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his raiders stopped in Williamsburg to establish their first campsite in Ohio. Approximately 2,000 cavalrymen remained in the rebel force. Many of the officers . . . — Map (db m108248) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — 29 — Williamsburg Township Cemetery — Clermont County, Ohio Freedom Trail — National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom
{Titles are marker text}Map (db m108588) HM
Texas (Childress County), Childress — 829 — Childress County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created • Organized August 21, 1876 • April 11, 1887 Named in honor of George Campbell Childress 1804 – 1841 A member of the Convention in 1836 Co-author of the Texas . . . — Map (db m96825) HM
Texas (Childress County), Childress — 968 — Colonel Wm. Edgar Hughes of the Mill Iron
Born 1840. Came from Illinois to Texas, 1859. During Civil War rose from private, 1st Texas Artillery, to Colonel in 16th Cavalry. Was in bloody battles of Shiloh, Chickamauga, Nashville, Richmond. After war, when "didn't have 2 pairs of pants", . . . — Map (db m96647) HM
Texas (Clay County), Henrietta — 1343 — Cambridge — Early County Seat — (Located 3.5 miles to the East)
Founded 1860, but abandoned to marauding Indians, 1863. Settlers returned in 1870 and installed a grist mill. Developers surveyed townsite in 1874; school, church, shops, and hotel were built. Post office was established and Fort Sill-Fort . . . — Map (db m98010) HM
Texas (Clay County), Henrietta — 910 — Clay County
Formed from Cooke County Created December 24, 1857 Organized August 6, 1860 Disorganized in 1862 because of Indian raids Reorganized August 4, 1873 Henrietta, headquarters for buffalo hunters until 1878 The first Hereford . . . — Map (db m96691) HM
Texas (Clay County), Henrietta — First Hereford Cattle in Texas
It was at or near this spot in the year of our Lord 1876 that the first registered Hereford cattle set their hooves in Texas and there- after revolutionized the beef cattle industry of the United States of America. This . . . — Map (db m98011) HM

2575 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 2175
Paid Advertisement