Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1424 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1224
 
Inside the Ermita de la Dolorosa image, Touch for more information
By G. Schwarzmueller, February 2016
Inside the Ermita de la Dolorosa
Ecuador, Pichincha, Quito — La Dolorosa Mosaic — El Mosaico de La Dolorosa
Obra: La Dolorosa Material: Mosaico de granito, mαrmol y piedras coloridas Autor: Taller Al Bagdadhi (35 maestros) Cliente: Fernando L. Benalcαzar – Promociσn CSG 1983 Origen: Damasco, Siria Ano: 2007 – 2008 Breve reseρa de los . . . — Map (db m97586) HM
Ecuador, Pichincha, Quito — Saluda a La Basilica — Tribute to the Basilica
El Gobierno Provincial de Pichincha En homenaje a los barrios libertarios de Quito Saluda a la Basilica En nombre de los gloriosos lideres protagonistas de las llamadas guerras de Quito educando la Independencia quienes demostraron que siempre . . . — Map (db m96056) HM WM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Center Harbor — Belknap College — 1963 - 1974
Belknap College 1963 - 1974 Founders Dr. Royal M. Frye and Dr. Virginia M. Brigham were visionaries, educators, and mentors who brought together faculty, administrators and students for an outstanding education. While Degrees were earned, all . . . — Map (db m97063) HM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — In Grateful Tribute
In grateful tribute to the men and women who served in the armed forces of our country in World War II, 1941-1946 — Map (db m97193) WM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — Soldiers' Monument
Soldiers' Monument — Map (db m97153) WM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — The Tilton Mills — Tilton Riverfront Park
Situated on the Winnipesaukee River, the town of Tilton was a prime location for a variety of mills in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The products produced in Tilton during the height of the mill manufacuring period included . . . — Map (db m97228) HM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — The Town of Tilton — Tilton Riverfront Park
In 1850, approximately 100 years after the town of Sanbornton was settled, a group of citizens petitioned to form a new town. Voted on at a special town meeting in 1869, and approved by the voters and the governor of N.H., the town of Tilton was . . . — Map (db m97229) HM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — The Winnipesaukee River — Tilton Riverfront Park
In the eighteenth and nineteenth century, the power of the Winnipesuakee River was harnessed to operate mills up and down its banks. These banks were home to several gristmills, woolen mills, and other textile mills. Many dams existed in this . . . — Map (db m97231) HM
New Hampshire (Belknap County), Tilton — Tilton WWI Memorial
In honor of those from the town of Tilton who devoted themselves to the cavse of freedom in the service of ovr covntry --1914-1919 -- They served without thovght of self that the principles of liberty, jvstice and eqvality might prevail for all . . . — Map (db m97194) WM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Bartlett — 109 — Lady Blanche House
This rustic cottage was once the home of Thomas Murphy and his wife, Lady Blanche, daughter of the Earl of Gainsborough. Thomas was the organist at the church on the Earl's estate. The commoner and the lady eloped to America, where Thomas taught at . . . — Map (db m77640) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Conway — In Memory of Joseph Laurent — Abenaki Chief
Author of Abenaki & English Dialogues Born 1839 —— Died 1917 St. Francis Indian Reserve, Odanak, Quebec In 1884 he led back to the land of their fathers a group of Abenaki and Sokoki Indians and established here in the woods of . . . — Map (db m78682) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Madison — 207 — Granville Homestead
Nearby is the birthplace of the Granville brothers Zantford (Granny), Thomas, Robert, Mark and Edward and sisters Pearle and Gladys. With Madison natives Hiram Jones, Harry Jones, and Elson Ward, they formed the Granville Brothers Aircraft Co. in . . . — Map (db m77922) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Ball Signal
This BALL SIGNAL was once located at WAUMBEK JUNCTION, a crossing of the Maine Central R.R. and Boston & Maine R.R. in the Town of Jefferson, New Hampshire. The signal was operated by a member of the train crew. One ball raised to the masthead . . . — Map (db m78692) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Caboose B&M 104391
This caboose, one of 500 similar units that once served on the Boston & Maine Railroad, was built by the B&M at their shops in East Fitchburg, Mass. in 1907. Many were later rebuilt with steel underframes, steel trucks, and full-width cupola. This . . . — Map (db m78324) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Caboose CV-4011
This caboose was built in the year 1910 at the Central Vermont Railway shops in St. Albans, Vermont. It later was modified with a steel underframe about 1925. Most of its 60 years of service were spent in southern New England on the Central . . . — Map (db m79065) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Caboose Grand Trunk Ry. No 75953
This 23 ton caboose is owned by John Egan of Largo, FL and formerly of Gorham, NH. The car was built about 1915 by Central Vermont Railway in their shops at St. Albans, VT. About 1930 it was transferred to the affiliated Grand Trunk Railway. John . . . — Map (db m78684) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Crossing Gate
Crossing Gates of this sort once protected busy road crossings throughout the United States. They were usually operated by a full time crossing tender, a man or woman that worked out of a small "crossing shanty" that offered some protection from the . . . — Map (db m78362) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Flanger CV 4233
This unusual car has two air-operated flanger blades that drop down to remove snow from between the rails. The car is 34 feet long and weighs over 20 tons. The 4233 was built by the Erie Car Works of Erie, Pa. in 1891 for the Central Vermont . . . — Map (db m78337) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Freight House
This freight house was built about 1872 by the Portsmouth, Great Falls & Conway Railroad. This building became the commercial center of the growing village of North Conway, as box car loads of supplies for the local merchants and farmers were . . . — Map (db m78344) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Maine Central Instruction Car No. 2001
In 1914 the Pullman Company built this all steel car as a 87 seat coach-smoker for the Maine Central Railroad. It started out as Maine Central No. 252, and was later renumbered 209 with seating capacity reduced to 73, with 11 seats in the smoking . . . — Map (db m78343) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — North Conway 5’ and 10’ Store
North Conway 5’ and 10’ Store is listed on the National Register Of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m78246) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Roundhouse
Built Ca. 1874 by the Portsmouth, Great Falls, and Conway Railroad. For well over a century this sturdy old building, with its four stalls, has served as a shelter where locomotives can be repaired, serviced and stored. Over the years stalls have . . . — Map (db m78338) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Schouler Park
By vote of the Conway town meeting of 1924 the $3,000 bequest of Dr. James Schouler was used to buy this land from the Boston and Maine Railroad. It was deeded to the town on express condition that it be used only for a public park, and named . . . — Map (db m78325) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — The Railroad Station
In 1872 the tracks of the Portsmouth, Great Falls & Conway Railroad were completed to North Conway, and in 1874 the railroad built this magnificent building to serve as their depot and offices. Nathaniel J. Bradlee, a well-known Boston architect, . . . — Map (db m78859) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — To Those Who Served in the World War
A memorial to those who served in the World War from North Conway, New Hampshire 1917 1919 — Map (db m78326) WM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Water Standpipe
This device, erected in 1978, is used to fill a steam locomotive's tender tank with fresh water. The coal fire in a steam locomotive heats tremendous amounts of water to produce the steam that powers the train. The tender tank in Conway Scenic . . . — Map (db m79066) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Wig Wag Signal
An approaching train sets this signal in motion, with the red disc swinging back and forth, the red lights flashing in sequence and the ringing of the warning bell. This obsolete machine, one of many similar ones that once guarded rural highways in . . . — Map (db m78361) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Tamworth — 90 — First Summer Playhouse
First Summer Playhouse Nearby stands "The Barnstormers" summer playhouse, the oldest in New Hampshire and one of the first in the nation. Opened in 1931, at one time the cast covered a weekly 80-mile circuit. Currently its performances are . . . — Map (db m97057) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Tamworth — In Memory of Those Who Served
Erected by the Town of Tamworth In memory of those who served their country. "To you from failing hands we throw the torch - be yours to hold it high." — Map (db m97062) WM
New York (Allegany County), Alfred — Alumni Hall, Alfred University
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m75884) HM
New York (Allegany County), Alfred — The Robert R. McComsey Career Development Center at the Allen-Steinheim Museum
Dedicated October 6, 1997. The Allen-Steinheim Museum was built between 1876 and 1890 by Alfred University's second president, Jonathan Allen. A natural history museum, the Gothic ediface was built from approximately 8,000 different specimens of . . . — Map (db m75795) HM
New York (Allegany County), Alfred — This Statue of King Alfred The Great — (A.D. 849-899)
was provided through the generosity of Stephen Clarke Saunders '58 and Barbara Potter Saunders '60, and was dedicated in September 1990 as a remembrance of the heritage of Alfred University and as a memorial to the "Education King." William . . . — Map (db m75759) HM
New York (Allegany County), Belfast — Belfast Civil War Monument
(front) In honor of our soldiers the defenders of the Union Civil War 1861 - 1865 Gettysburg (right) Sixth New York Cavalry Five Forks (rear) Enlisted from Allen, N.Y. Wilderness (left) First . . . — Map (db m75785) WM
New York (Allegany County), Belfast — Belfast World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam Memorial
We dedicate this memorial to those who served in World War II, Korean Conflict and Vietnam, especially those who died for our freedom. — Map (db m75787) WM
New York (Allegany County), Belfast — Township of Belfast World War I Memorial
In honor of the men of the Township of Belfast who served their country in the Great War for world-wide liberty, 1917 - 1919. — Map (db m75786) WM
New York (Allegany County), Belmont — Town of Amity Civil War Monument
(front) Erected by the citizens of Amity 1861-1865 (right) In memory of the men of the township (rear) who offered their lives to their country (left) in order that their country . . . — Map (db m75782) WM
New York (Allegany County), Canaseraga — First House in Canaseraga
Built on this site by Samuel Boylan in 1806. — Map (db m75911) HM
New York (Allegany County), Caneadea — Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge — (bridge location)
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge 1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00. 1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating 1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in . . . — Map (db m75913) HM
New York (Allegany County), Caneadea — Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge — (Genesee River Access Site location)
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge 1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00. 1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating 1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in protest . . . — Map (db m75916) HM
New York (Allegany County), Centerville — Centerville Town Hall
This building was originally known as the First Presbyterian Church of Centerville. Church members purchased this lot in 1858 and began construction of the church, completing it in 1859 at a cost of $3,000. — Map (db m75936) HM
New York (Allegany County), Cuba — Dedicated to All Veterans
Dedicated to all veterans Through peace or war their memories will never die — Map (db m86600) WM
New York (Allegany County), New Hudson — Hanging Bog
Hanging Bog is a man-made pond built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's on then federally owned land. In 1962 Hanging Bog was transferred to New York State. The pond is referred to as Hanging Bog because of its unique mat of floating . . . — Map (db m86561) HM
New York (Allegany County), Oil Springs Indian Reservation — 1627 Seneca Oil Spring 1927
1627 Seneca Oil Spring 1927 Forms the first chapter in the development of the petroleum industry in America - a gigantic world enterprise transforming modern life. 1627 Oil in American continent first recorded in this region by the Franciscan . . . — Map (db m86604) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — Hinman Valley Wetland Complex
The Hinman Valley Wetland Complex consists of 100+ acres of open water, deep marsh, shallow marsh, wet meadow, and forested wetland habitats. The site originally contained over 60 acres of regulated wetland. In 2008, the New York State Department of . . . — Map (db m104945) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Ellicottville — Jefferson Street Cemetery
Jefferson Street Cemetery has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m89102) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Cadiz
The first settlers arrived here in 1806 and this area was called Conrad's Mills. Later the name was changed to Cadiz. Dairy farming was the main occupation in this tiny hamlet within the Township of Franklinville. The famous Ontario Knife Company . . . — Map (db m86625) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Cadiz Cemetery
Cadiz Cemetery Earliest burial Abigail Curtis in 1837. Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and Civil War veterans buried here. — Map (db m86623) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Franklinville Veterans Memorial — In Honor of Those Who Served
[left plaque] In memory of those who died in the service of their country. WWI Harry Alger, Gilbert Brown, George Button, George Carson, Claude Domes, Vernal Farrington, William Gavin, Clifford Guthrie, Harmon Hall, Henry Howard, Leighton . . . — Map (db m86612) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Peter T. Tenbroeck — Farmer, Public Benefactor and Founder of Tenebroeck Free Academy
Born in Somerset County, New Jersey in 1793, and moved to Farmersville, New York in 1816, with his home near this cemetery. Peter T. Tenbroeck and his immediate family are buried in this plot. Peter T. Tenbroeck was a successful farmer, was a . . . — Map (db m86627) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Freedom — Salem Welsh Church
Salem Welsh Church built 1855 has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m86649) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Freedom — Welsh Settlement
Welsh Settlement circa 1840, immigrants from Wales settled in Freedom and nearby towns and contributed to the economic, religious, and social life of the area. — Map (db m86648) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Great Valley — In Honor and Memory
In honor and memory of the men and women of this township who answered the call of their country — Map (db m89103) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Lyndon — Early School
Early School The North Lyndon school was built ca. 1844 and remained in use until 1947. The school still retains many of its original features. — Map (db m86611) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Persia — Ahaz Allen
Ahaz Allen Pioneer settler in town of Persia in 1810. Built first saw and grist mill, bridge, frame house, Forty Rd. Gave land for cemetery in 1836. — Map (db m104212) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Allegany State Park's Fancher Cabin
Albert T Fancher, former New York State senator and chairman of the Allegany State Park Commission, had this colonial-style lodge built in the summer of 1927. The interior includes a large, combination living and dining room with a massive stone . . . — Map (db m77545) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Outdoor Museum
A foundation is all that remains of a pavillion-style, outdoor museum, built by Company 249 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.). It was one of the first C.C.C. projects completed in Allegany State Park.

Articles in the Salamanca . . . — Map (db m77526) HM

New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Stoddard Hollow
On this site in 1859, the first log house was built on what is now known as Allegany State Park. It was built by Giles Stoddard Jr., and his wife Sarah Niles Card on 132 acres then known as Stoddard's Hollow. Giles Stoddard Jr. help[ed] fell the . . . — Map (db m98119) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — The School in the Forest
Welcome to Science Lake, a favorite park attraction with an interesting history. Science Lake was built in 1926 as the new location for a science camp popularly called "The School in the Forest." Chauncey J. Hamlin, president of the Buffalo . . . — Map (db m104901) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Weather Station
DeForrest A. Mattison, a park forest supervisor and unpaid observer for the U.S. Weather Bureau, set up the park's first weather station in September 1924. First located in the Quaker area, the station was moved to this site in 1929. In subsequent . . . — Map (db m77544) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — Dedicated to Those from the Salamanca Area
Dedicated to those from the Salamanca area who gave their lives in the Indo-China War Keith Franklin, Orrie Macomb Jr. Lloyd Darling, Arnold Robbins Victor Smith, Charles Harrison Jr. Gregg Smith Also to all other people from all nations . . . — Map (db m98148) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — Fire Observation Stations: / Fire Tower is Reborn — the First Line of Defense
[left panel] In the early 20th century, approximately one million acres in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves were destroyed by fire. In response, New York State passed legislation that created a forest patrol service and funded the . . . — Map (db m89109) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — From the Mountains of Afghanistan
From the mountains of Afghanistan and deserts of Iraq these men and women gave devotion and sacrifice. They are worthy of much greater recognition than words can say. Let us pay tribute to the heroism of those who served and those who gave . . . — Map (db m98238) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — In Memory of Our Dead Comrades
In Memory of Our Dead Comrades — Map (db m89104) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Salamanca — These Gates Erected by Salamanca
These gates erected by Salamanca Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution are a tribute to the memory of those who served in World War I Dedicated May 30, 1931 — Map (db m98150) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Yorkshire — First Frame House
First Frame House in town of Yorkshire Built in 1820 by Isaac Williams Opened as a tavern 1822 — Map (db m86650) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Yorkshire — Upper Cattaraugus Valley — Historic New York
Erie Indians were the first inhabitants of this region. In 1654, they were driven out by the Senecas who occupied several sites along the banks of Cattaraugus Creek. The Cattaraugus, the principal stream of many that divide the Cattaraugus Hills, . . . — Map (db m86681) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — 1836 Willard Mansion
1836 Willard Mansion A family home based on the cornstarch fortune of Dr. Sylvester Willard, philanthropist and Secretary of the Auburn Theological Seminary — Map (db m88041) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — 500 Feet → Fort Hill
500 Feet → Fort Hill Prehistoric Indian fort. Traditional birthplace of Chief Logan. Now a cemetery. — Map (db m88174) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Alexis De Tocqueville
Alexis De Tocqueville. The 25 year-old French aristocrat and author of Democrary in America visited this area during his 1831-1832 tour of America. — Map (db m88405) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Auburn Prison
Auburn Prison Erection commenced 1816 First prisoners 1817 assisted in construction First electrocution in the world 1890 — Map (db m87987) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Auburn Prison
Auburn Prison Convicts made sewing silk 1841 - 1846 Here was principal cash market in U. S. for cocoons and raw silk — Map (db m87991) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Case Research Lab
Case Research Lab Birthplace of talking movies in 1924. Theodore Case developed sound film and partnered with Fox Studios to create Movietone News. — Map (db m88038) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Cayuga County
[front] 1941 1947, Cayuga County. This tablet is erected by Cayuga County to the memory of those who gave their lives for their country in World War II. [right side] 1950 1953, Cayuga County. This tablet is erected by Cayuga County to the memory . . . — Map (db m88351) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Cayuga County Court House
Cayuga County Court House Frame building erected on rear of this lot 1809. Present building erected 1836. reconstructed 1922-24. — Map (db m88354) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Cold Spring Cemetery
Cold Spring Cemetery First Irish Catholic cem. Resting place of immigrants from famine in Ireland 1845-1850. Many Civil War Vets buried here — Map (db m87940) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Columbian Rope Plant
Columbian Rope Plant Founded by Col. E.D. Metcalf. New factory begun in 1903. 1 million sq. feet of floor area. "The Cordage City" — Map (db m88099) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — David Munson Osborne / Thomas Mott Osbourne
David Munson Osborne Born 1822 - Died 1886 Lived here - House demolished 1936. Founded D.M. Osbourne Company manufacturer of harvesting machines. Mayor of Auburn, 1879-1881 Thomas Mott Osbourne Born 1859 - Died 1926 Lived here - House . . . — Map (db m88470) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — David Munson Osborne Memorial City Hall
David Munson Osborne Memorial City Hall Opened 1930- Henry Shepley, architect. Donated by Helen Osborne Storrow and Emily Osborne Harris in memory of their father, D.M. Osborne. — Map (db m88391) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Dedicated to the Memory of William H. Seward
Dedicated to the Memory of William H. Seward who as a young Auburn lawyer practiced law in Cayuga County Court House. He rose to become governor of New York, United States Senator, Secretary of State under Lincoln and Johnson. He was Lincoln's . . . — Map (db m88355) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — During the War of 1812
During the War of 1812 barracks were established in this locality. Troops passing to and from Niagara camped here. — Map (db m88155) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — E.D. Clapp
E.D. Clapp 1874-1880, nationally known producer of carriage, drop and metal forgings. Relocated in 1972. — Map (db m88097) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Enos T. Throop 1784-1874
Enos T. Throop 1784-1874 Auburn Postmaster 1809-1815 State Congressman 1815-1817 Circuit Judge 1823-1828 Governor of New York 1829-1832 — Map (db m88176) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Fort Hill
Fort Hill of moundbuilder origin. Later Cayuga council seat and village Fort Wasco traditional birth place of Chief Logan — Map (db m88170) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — In Memoriam
On D-Day, June 6, 1944, as members of the 299th Combat Engineer's assault boat teams, the following men from Auburn, N.Y. and adjacent areas, gave their lives on the beaches of Normandy in the liberation of Europe. •Nicholas V. DeAngelis •Leo A. . . . — Map (db m88329) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — In Memory of Harriet Tubman
In memory of Harriet Tubman. Born a slave in Maryland about 1821. Died in Auburn, N.Y. March 10th, 1913. Called the "Moses" of her people during the Civil War. With rare courage, she led over three hundred negroes up from slavery to freedom and . . . — Map (db m88356) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — In Memory of the Famous 299th
In Memory of the Famous 299th Combat Engineers D Day WWII Normandy Invasion. On June 6th 1944, the 299th Combat Engineers were among the first troops deployed on "D" Day. Their mission was to clear the beach defenses. With no cover and receiving . . . — Map (db m88362) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — In Memory of the Soldiers and Sailors
In memory of the soldiers and sailors in the War for Independence 1776 buried in Cayuga County New York — Map (db m88358) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — John Foster Dulles — Born 1888 - Died 1959
John Foster Dulles Born 1888 - Died 1959 Resided in this house. Secretary of State in cabinet of President Dwight D. Eisenhower — Map (db m88461) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Korean War
[front center] Koren War "The Forgotten War" 25 June 1950 - 27 July 1953 Dedicated to the men and women of Cayuga County for their contriutions and sacrifices in saving a nation fom communism and preserving peace, freedom and prosperity. Killed . . . — Map (db m88306) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Martha Coffin Wright
Martha Coffin Wright with sister Lucretia Mott, an organizer of the 1848 Women's Rights Convention. Underground Railroad stop. Wright home raised 1880. Noble Mansion razed in 1975. — Map (db m88152) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Memorial to Cayuga County Soldiers and Sailors
Memorial to Cayuga County Soldiers and Sailors of the Civil War, 1861 1865. Friends around me fell like drops of rain. Twas there many noble ones were slain. Their mangled corpes strewned the grass with none to care since life was passed. Each . . . — Map (db m88392) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — North Street Cemetery
North Street Cemetery Most of the settlers of Hardenbergh's Corners and early inhabitants of Auburn are buried here. Main cemetery until 1852 — Map (db m88476) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — 10 — Pomeroy
Hon. Theodore Medad Pomeroy (1824-1905) was born in Cayuga to Rev. Medad Pomeroy and Lillian Maxwell. His father moved the family to Elridge where Theodore studied at Munro Academy under Lemuel S. Pomeroy. A graduate of Hamilton College, Theodore . . . — Map (db m88309) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — St. Alphonsus
St. Alphonsus Church was founded by German-speaking Catholics in 1853. The congregation worshipped in a church on Water Street until this ediface was erected in 1930. — Map (db m88366) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — St. Peter's Church
St. Peter's Church Original church 1811 First to be erected in Auburn. Present stone ediface dedicated 1833. — Map (db m88177) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — The Medal of Honor — USN, USMC, USCG, US ARMY, USAF
The Medal of Honor is the highest military decoration awarded by the United States Government. It is bestowed by the President in the name of Congress and is conferred only upon members of the United States Armed Forces who distinguish themselves . . . — Map (db m88220) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — The Moral of War
[left] The Moral of War In War: Resolution In Defeat: Definace In Victory: Magnanimity In Peace: Goodwill Winston Spencer Churchill ———————— This memorial is dedicated as a perpetual reminder . . . — Map (db m88221) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Theodore Medad Pomeroy — 1824-1905
. . . — Map (db m88311) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Theodore Willard Case — Born 1888 - Died 1944
Theodore Willard Case Born 1888 - Died 1944 Built and resided in this house. Inventor of the sound-on-film technology and the optical soundtrack — Map (db m88424) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Wasco
Wasco "The Crossing Place" Site of a Cayuga village occupied by Indians before and after settlement of Hardenbergh Corners 1793 — Map (db m87985) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Willam Henry Carpenter — Born 1821 - Died 1885
Willam Henry Carpenter Born 1821 - Died 1885 Built and resided in this house. United States Consul to Foo Chow, China Appointed by President Abraham Lincoln Served 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m88427) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — William H. Seward — Born 1801 — Died 1872 — Resided in This House 1824-1872
William H. Seward Born 1801 — Died 1872 Resided in This House 1824-1872 New York Governor, United States Senator, Secretary of State in Cabinets of Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson. The leading figure in the purchase of . . . — Map (db m88368) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — William H. Seward — 1801 - 1872
William H. Seward, 1801 - 1872 "How through these years in silence thou hast borne the cruel doubt, the slanders of debate, the assassin's knife, and keener blade of scorn, wielded by party in its narrow hate: How could'st thou pause each step to . . . — Map (db m88395) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Aurelius — 1789-1800 Old Genesee Road
1789-1800 Old Genesee Road from Hardenbergh Corners to Harris Ferry crossed here — Map (db m88137) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Aurelius — Half Acre * 1800
Half Acre * 1800 Originally "Hell's Half Acre" intersection of old Genesee Road West and Ridge Road South. 3 Inns and a stage stop graced the 4 corners — Map (db m88102) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — Conduit For Ideas — The Canalway Trail
The Erie Canal tied together western New York and became a conduit for ideas as well as for commerce. Seneca Falls was the site of the first Women's Sufferage convention, organized by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott in 1848 to advocate . . . — Map (db m83670) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — The Boom Years — The Canalway Trail
The opening of the Erie Canal had a huge economic impact on the citizens of New York State. Producers could afford to ship products to previously inaccessible markets at a cost that dropped from $100.00 per ton (by wagon) to just a few dollars. . . . — Map (db m83674) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — The Erie Canal — The Centreport Aqueduct — Centreport Aqueduct Park
In 1807 Jesse Hawley, a prisoner in the Canandaigua jail, wrote a series of essays proposing a waterway from Lake Erie to the Atlantic Ocean. Following the War of 1812 the settling of western New York and Ohio resulted in an increased demand for . . . — Map (db m83708) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — The Erie Canal — Historic New York
Construction of the Erie Canal was hailed as the greatest engineering accomplishment to that time. Under the leadership of Governor De Witt Clinton, construction began July 4, 1817. With little technical knowledge, thousands of workers surveyed, . . . — Map (db m88628) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Brutus — William McCreedy
William McCreedy and family, burial site. Soldier in Revolution. Born 1755 - Died 1824. Early Methodist meeting held in nearby family home. — Map (db m88480) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Cato — Jakway's Corners
Jakway's Corners Village formerly so called from Dr. John Jakway settling 1809, associate of Ethan Allen. Platt Titus first settler 1805. — Map (db m83764) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Cato — Old Mill
Old Mill First grist mill in Ira. Built in 1818 by John Hooker, associate of Ethan Allen. Mill was old part of present building. — Map (db m83777) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Cato — Site Where Four Towns Meet
Site Where Four Towns Meet Cato-Ira-Victory-Conquest Created by legislative act on March 16, 1821 — Map (db m83778)
New York (Cayuga County), Fair Haven — George E. Ingersol
The George E. Ingersol Post #658 dedicates this plaque to George E. Ingersol, the first Fair Haven veteran to die in World War I. This Fair Haven Post was chartered in January of 1922, and named after him in recognition of his ultimate . . . — Map (db m79727) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Fair Haven — Honoring All Men and Women
Honoring all men and women from the village of Fair Haven and the town of Sterling who served in World War I and World War II ✰ ✰ ✰ Dedicated to the following who made the supreme sacrifice World War I Otto Berlin . . . — Map (db m79726) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Fair Haven — Little Sodus Bay (Fair Haven) — A Busy Lakeport — Maritime Heritage
A Commerce Center. Though camps, pleasure boats, and the sandy beaches of Fair Haven State Park dominate the bay and lake shore today, in 1910 Little Sodus Bay was the second busiest port on the southern shore of Lake Ontario. Trains . . . — Map (db m79751) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Fair Haven — Site of Methodist Episcopal Church
Site Of Methodist Episcopal Church Erected 1882 Local red brick construction Sold and dismantled in 1934 — Map (db m79725) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Fleming — Harriet Tubman
Harriet Tubman Moses of her people Served Underground Railroad Frequented this site after the Civil War — Map (db m88408) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Ira — Burial Place
Burial Place of the pioneers of this section, including several revolutionary veterans 1809-1860 — Map (db m83811) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Meridian — Cato Four Corners
Cato Four Corners Geo. Loveless and Abel Pasko first settlers in 1804. Jesse Elwell and Abner Hollister settled in 1805. Called Meridian since 1849 — Map (db m83812) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Meridian — In Memory of Abner Hollister
For many years a Magistrate of this Town & County. The founder of this Village and this Church which he served with christian fidelity as ruling Elder from the time of its organization until his death. Born at Glastonbury Conn. Sept. 26, 1782, . . . — Map (db m83813) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — A Landmark and Pride in Our Community — Byron Lapp Memorial Trail and Montezuma Heritage Park
A Landmark and Pride in Our Community. The Town on Montezuma purchased the lot and is restoring it for it [sic] significance to the town's history. Volunteers helped clear the site and in a community effort has [sic] taken the important first step . . . — Map (db m83561) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Early Aqueduct
Early Aqueduct This towpath leads to the Richmond Aqueduct built 1849 second largest aqueduct carrying Erie Canal waters over the Seneca River. — Map (db m83562) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Early Cemetery
Early Cemetery Old Montezuma Cemetery Revolutionary War veteran Richard Damewood buried here 1850. Served at seige of British at Yorktown. — Map (db m83546) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Mentz Church
Mentz Church First Methodist Episcopal Church Inc. 1825 with John Gilmore, Wm. Bell & James Weston, Trustees. Adjoining cemetery in use by 1813. — Map (db m83525) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Montezuma
Montezuma Named from the Aztec emperors. Town formed from Mentz in 1859. Village incorporated in 1866. — Map (db m83538) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Montezuma Heritage Park — Mural & Historic Markers Dedication — May 4, 2013
In 1828, the Cayuga-Seneca Canal opened in Montezuma allowing transportation of people and goods into the Finger Lakes and beyond by connecting with the Erie Canal at this site. The Exchange Hotel provided lodging for travelers and was the center of . . . — Map (db m83560) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Old Erie Canal
Old Erie Canal Completed from Utica to here 1819. The "Montezuma" built here was the first boat on the canal. Took passengers to Syracuse 1820. — Map (db m83542) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Opened in 1828 — Cayuga Seneca Canal
Opened in 1828 Cayuga Seneca Canal Extended navigation of the Erie Canal to Finger Lakes Site of crossover bridge and Exchange Hotel — Map (db m83547) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — A Metaphor for Change — The Canalway Trail
Lock 52 in Port Byron was a busy place prior to 1917. In the vicinity of the lock, you would have seen a bustling waterfront, with dozens of boats locking up or down the canal. At Tanner's Dry Dock, just up the canal from the lock, canal boats were . . . — Map (db m83641) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Blacksmith Shop and Mule Shed — Port Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
The mules that pulled boats along the Erie Canal were cared for here, fed and shoed. — Map (db m103563) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Glaciers, Drumlins, and High Level Lakes — Port Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
During the ice ages of the last 2 million years, glaciers sculpted the land surface forming, amongst other features, the many rounded and elongated hills called drumlins that are seen from the Thruway between Rochester and Syracuse. From this . . . — Map (db m103583) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Henry Wells
Henry Wells Founder of Wells Fargo Express Company was a shoemakr by trade and lived in this house from 1827 to about 1830 — Map (db m83564) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Port Byron's Lock 52
Lock 52 on the Erie Canal was once a busy place. Built in 1851 and lengthened on the berm side in 1887 to accommodate two boats hitched together in tandem, the lock created a popular stopping point for canal boatmen. The 11-foot lift at Lock 52 . . . — Map (db m103581) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock — The Canalway Trail
The O.B. & H.E. Tanner Dry Dock was established near Lock 52 in Port Byron in 1873, replacing the earlier Ames Dry Dock. In its heydey, Tanner built and repaired a variety of canal boats, employing a crew of 18, including a shipwright, carpenters, . . . — Map (db m83644) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock
About two hundred feet from here was once the location of the D. B. Tanner Dry Dock, built in 1863 on the former Clinton's Ditch alignment. Craftmen built and repaired canal cargo boats in the dry docks that carried grain, coal, lumber and the . . . — Map (db m103582) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie Canal in Port Byron — Erie Canal Heritage Park at Port Byron — Today's Canal System in New York
The Erie Canal in Port Byron When the original Erie Canal or "Clinton's Ditch" was completed here in 1819, Port Byron was transformed from a frontier settlement to a thriving canal town. Indeed, the local citizens were so hopeful with the new . . . — Map (db m103580) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie House — Port Byron / Old Erie Canal Heritage Park
This 1894 saloon and hotel belonged to the Van Detto family, recently arrived Italian immigrants. Located a few hundred feet east of Lock 52, the Erie House was a popular destination for the canal community. — Map (db m103562) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Village of Port Byron
1. Park Hotel: Dates from the bustling railroad days in the mid-eighteen hundreds when it was known as "National Hotel". The Park Hotel was built by Samuel Lamkin in 1835. Its reputation and ownership has changed many times. 2. Masonic Block: . . . — Map (db m83600) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Sterling — Railway Signal Tower
The c.a. 1910 Railway Signal Tower was acquired in the early 1930's then used as a woodworking shop by William Williams. It was then located in Sterling Center and now generously given by grandson Roger Malcott. The Tower was originally located at . . . — Map (db m79779) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Sterling — School House Built 1825
. . . — Map (db m79777) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Sterling — Site of First Baptist Church of Sterling
Site of first Baptist church of Sterling erected in 1841, federated with United Presbyterian in 1931 Churches consolidated in 1962 Sold and dismantled in 1970 — Map (db m79782) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Sterling — Sterling Valley
Sterling Valley First settlement made here 1805 by Peter Dumas, a soldier with Lafayette. Earlier called Coopers Mills after John Cooper 1810 — Map (db m79783) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Sterling — Town of Sterling
Town of Sterling Named after a Revolutionary officer, Lord Wm. Alexander Sterling. Set off from Cato 1812. First grist and saw mill built here in 1813 — Map (db m79753) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Throop — Home of Gen. John S. Clark
Home of Gen. John S. Clark Born 1823. Died 1912. Civil engineer, historian, Civil War officer and first Supervisor of Throop. — Map (db m87936) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Throop — Throop Industry
Throop Industry Settlers used Owasco River power to run sawmills & gristmills as early as 1798. This site was one of the three dams built in Throop. — Map (db m87937) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Throop — Town of Throop
Town of Throop Formed in 1859 from portions of Aurelius, Mentz, and Sennett, named after Governor Enos T. Throop of Auburn — Map (db m87921) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Weedsport — Firehouse
Firehouse constructed 1884 of local brick to hold newly purchased 1878 Silsby steam powered pumper. Belfry bell is original. — Map (db m83763) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Weedsport — God's Acre
God's Acre First community cemetery in the town of Brutus 1801 - 1863. Most stones removed, 1916. Declared town park, 1974. — Map (db m87920) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Weedsport — Town of Brutus
Town of Brutus Formed from Aurelius 1802. First settlement in town made by Aaron Frost in 1795; he built the first grist mill. — Map (db m87902) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Weedsport — Weed's Basin
Cayuga County Weed's Basin named after Elihu and Edward Weed who constructed a basin on Old Erie Canal 1821. P.O. established 1822 Weedsport Inc. village 1831 Village of Weedsport — Map (db m83727) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Arkwright — First Cheese Factory
First Cheese Factory in Chautauqua County erected here in 1861 by Asahel Burnham — Map (db m105666) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Arkwright — The First Town Meeting
The first town meeting in Arkwright was held on this site May 2, 1830 in the home of Simeon Clinton. — Map (db m105665) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Cassagada — Dedicated to All
Dedicated to all Cassadaga area servicemen and women who gave their lives for our country. World War I Terry S. Tarr. World War II Raymond Carr, Vernon Clark, Donald Cobb, Archie Johnson, Arthur Jones, Edward Lehnen, Donald McBride, . . . — Map (db m94888) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Celoron — Celoron Veterans Memorial
Celoron Veterans Memorial World War I Herman Faulkner, Herman Kent World War II Cyrus M. Greiner, Harold Lind Kermit Miller, Ronald H. Ramsey Harold Seekins, Boon Takagi Howard A. Wheeler, Gilbert Yasher Korea William H. Lawson, Jules T. . . . — Map (db m105747) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Cherry Creek — In Honor of the Service
In honor of the service men and women of Cherry Creek who served our country from 1812 through the present — Map (db m105728) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Cherry Creek — These Mill Stones
These mill stones came from Connecticut. Drawn to Cherry Creek by oxen 1837. Solomon Hinche purchased the property from Noah Wheeler. The property had a mill called Hinche Mill. Henry and Bertha Peters purchased the Hinche property. The stones were . . . — Map (db m105743) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Birds of the Harbor — Water Bird Safe Haven — Natural History
A Safe Place to Rest The sheltered waters of Dunkirk Harbor provide a place where water birds and waterfowl can escape strong winds blowing across the open waters of Lake Erie. Gulls, terns, cormorants and other water birds shelter, loaf, and feed . . . — Map (db m84382) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Dedicated to Corporal Cyrus W. James
Dedicated to Corporal Cyrus W. James 9th New York Calvary Company G Enlisted at Dunkirk, NY Sptember 26, 1861 at age 22 Killed July 1, 1863 at Gettysburg, PA, and was the first Union Soldier to succumb in that great battle. His body rests . . . — Map (db m84360) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Eastern Basin Shipwrecks — A Watery Record of Mishaps — Maritime Heritage
Resting on the Lake Bottom. Beneath the waters before you lies a graveyard of shipwrecks from two centuries. Surprise storms, unchartered shallows, and lack of navigation aids are a few reasons for the wrecks. More and more people are learning to . . . — Map (db m84415) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — In Honor of Those Who Served
Dedicated by The City of Dunkirk in honor of those who served their country in The World War, 1917-1918 — Map (db m84319) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — Large Anchor
Large Anchor from the Anabelle Wilson which sank off Dunkirk Lighthouse on Nov. 1913. Raised by divers: Tom, Dave and Tim McDonald and Rick Lucas on Sept. 5, 1990 and donated to the museum — Map (db m84357) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — The Lighthouse Service
Established in 1789, the U.S. Lighthouse Service maintained lighthouses and a district headquarters in Buffalo until it was absorbed by the Coast Guard in 1939. Tenth District, long under the command of District Lighthouse Superintendent Roscoe . . . — Map (db m84334) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — To All That Served Honorably
To all that served honorably Korean Conflict 1950-1953 The forgotten war — Map (db m84293) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — To All Who Served
To all who served so proudly in the Vietnam Conflict 1961-1975 — Map (db m84276) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Ellington — Memorial
Memorial Honoring all veterans from Ellington who have ever served faithfully in any branch of the armed forces of the United States of America — Map (db m105745) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Frewsburg — Frew House
Frew House First house erected in Frewsburg. Built 1807 by Hugh and Mary R. Frew — Map (db m105669) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Frewsburg — The Home of Reuben E. Fenton — B - July 4, 1819 D - Aug. 25, 1885
. . . — Map (db m105671) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Gerry — Town of Gerry Veterans Memorial
Town of Gerry Veterans Memorial Honoring our men and women who served in the armed forces. — Map (db m94886) WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Hanover — American Revolution
American Revolution Lieutenant John Docksteder (British) was stationed here. Sept. 1, 1779, he led Senecas down Alleghany Road to battle the Americans under Col. Brodhead near the Allegheny River. — Map (db m105646) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Hanover — Birthplace of Mary Smith Lockwood — 1831-1922
Birthplace of Mary Smith Lockwood 1831-1922 Pen Founder of The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m105652) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Hanover — The King from Hanover — James Jesse Strang 1813-1856
Hanover resident, 1816-1836, at Dennison's Corners and Keach's Corners. Clerk of Dennison's Corners School #10 and of Forestville Baptist Church. Studied law, taught, and married in Silver Creek. Attended Fredonia Academy. Ellington Postmaster, . . . — Map (db m105659) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Hanover — The Lincoln Maple
The Lincoln Maple This maple was planted in 1965 after Pres. Lincoln was assassinated. Schoolchildren from this Balltown school, built in 1820, planted it. — Map (db m105654) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Harmony — B-24 Bomber Crash
On July 15, 1944 an army air force B-24 bomber piloted by Blockville native Lt. Levine Nelson fell from the sky two hundred yards from this monument. The aircraft and crew were in route to the European theater of World War II. Six of the nine . . . — Map (db m105686) HM WM
New York (Chautauqua County), Harmony — 310 — Roll-O-Bowl
Roll-O-Bowl On this site 1956-1960 Sunday jalopy races held on quarter mile dirt track. Built by McNitt brothers on their grandmother's farm. — Map (db m105683) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — "Allen's Opera House"
"Allen's Opera House" 1881 Allen's Opera House 1898 Samuel's Opera House 1919 Shea's Opera House/Theater 1968 Little Theater of Jamestown — Map (db m94863) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — "Gokey Fire"
. . . — Map (db m105610) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — "Keyes' Carpenter Shop"
"Keyes' Carpenter Shop" Here in 1816, Royal Keyes, cabinet maker, erected a small carpenter shop. In its second story he made simple articles of furniture for the pioneer community. From this small beginning grew the great furniture industry of . . . — Map (db m94864) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — American Aristotype Company
American Aristotype Company An ornate red brick building here was the office of American Aristotype Company. Founded in 1889, its factories manufactured a fine early collodian paper which helped revolutionize the photographic industry. The . . . — Map (db m105581) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — American Revolution
American Revolution In early summer of 1782 a force of 250 Senecas led by Sayengaraghta and accompanied by a few British military foresters and Indian Department officers passed along Chautauqua Lake and outlet on its way to attack Hannastown, PA. . . . — Map (db m94786) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Andover — 8-4 — Pymatuning Wetlands / Pymatuning Reservoir
Pymatuning Wetlands The advancing and retreating mile-high glacial sheet of ice and snow shaped the countryside around this area. As the last of the ice masses melted, a great swamp developed, punctuated by towering white pines, bogs, and . . . — Map (db m107661) HM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Andover — Township of Andover Veterans Memorial
[counter clockwise from the south: five individual stones]U.S. Air Force U.S. Coast Guard U.S. Army U.S. Navy U.S. Marines U.S. Merchant Marine — Map (db m107658) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Pierpont — In Memory of Those
In Memory of those from Pierpont who served in all our wars — Map (db m107654) WM
Ohio (Ashtabula County), Williamsfield — Upon This Tablet
Upon this tablet are inscribed the names of those who left Wayne to serve this country in the Great World War 1914 1918. Upon this tablet are inscribed the names of those who left Wayne to serve this country in World War II. Upon this tablet . . . — Map (db m107660) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Three Rivers Heritage Trail
Firsts in the World from Pittsburgh. For two centuries Western Pennsylvania has been a cradle of invention in industry and technology in many fields, from medicine to manufacturing. The unique topography of hills and valleys required . . . — Map (db m77026) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Andrew Stephen McSwigan
Newspaper reporter who won preeminent distinction at the Johnstown Flood; Knight of Columbus Secretary with Croix de Guerre in World War; a devoted servant of his church, city, state and country; national leader in making the park business respected . . . — Map (db m76678) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Auto Race — National Historic District
A Beaver Falls company long gone, Travers Engineering...originated the Auto Race. This one covered millions of miles since it was built in 1926 and is the last existing of the many Travers built. The cars originally had windshields and headlights, . . . — Map (db m76661) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — George Was Here
At the bottom of the cliff on which Kennywood sits, the largest British army assembled up until then in the American colonies... with flags flying and drums beating... forded the Monongahela on July 9, 1755. The battle that followed directly across . . . — Map (db m76674) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Kennywood's Thunderbolt — ACE Roller Coaster Landmark
American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) recognizes Kennywood's Thunderbolt as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark, a designation reserved for rides of historic significance.

Originally built as the Pippin in 1924 by renowned coaster designer John A. . . . — Map (db m76663) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Laffin' Sal — National Historic District
Sal debuted at Kennywood in 1931 as a free attraction in front of the Laff in the Dark. It was during the Great Depression and provided some of the best medicine available in that sad period-Laughs.

When the ride was razed in 1965 to make room . . . — Map (db m76676) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Miniature Railroad — National Historic District
Although the cars have been changed in appearance, the engines look much like they did at the New York World's Fair of 1938-39 The Century of Progress Exposition.

The train was known there as the Gimbels Flyer and was brought to Kennywood at . . . — Map (db m76677) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Noah's Ark — National Historic District
Perhaps the most famous symbol of Kennywood, the Ark was not added to the scene here until the Great Depression. For many years one of its features was a series of hidden air jets out front to blow up women's dresses. But slacks and shorts made that . . . — Map (db m76657) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — The Kenny Fountain
...is dedicated to Thomas J. Kenny, who in 1818 crossed the Alleghenies and purchased this property for five pounds, ten shillings, six pence, and a barrel of whiskey. The farm he established later was called Kenny's Grove, a retreat where the . . . — Map (db m76675) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — The Pagoda — National Historic District
Although not a historic landmark, this oriental pagoda was inspired by one in Trivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark.

The gargoyles around the building were carved in the 1920's by the carousel craftsmen of the Philadelphia Toboggan Co.. No . . . — Map (db m76679) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — The Turtle — National Historic District
Originally known as the Tumble Bug and built by Travers Co. of Beaver Falls, this ride used to be a standard in just about every amusement park in North Amercia. This one has been at Kennywood since 1927. — Map (db m76680) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — The Windmill — National Historic District
Built in 1921 on an island in the lagoon, (main show area now), the Windmill was moved here in 1940. It was copied from a similar attraction in Coney Island, Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Windmill is included in an oil painting by the famous primitive . . . — Map (db m76681) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Thunderbolt — National Historic District
Once named the "King of Coasters" by the New York Times, the Thunderbolt opened in 1968. It s [sic] unique design uses the first two and last two dips of the Pippin, with the lift hill structure and helix turns added that year.

The trains, . . . — Map (db m76664) HM

Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Johnstown — Calamity and Prosperity
The booming period, from 1867 to 1889, was used to make steel rails and fortunes...Across this rampant industrial expansion, the Great Flood of 1889 rolled like a juggernaught. - Nathaniel Daniel Shappee. A History of Johnstown and the Great Flood . . . — Map (db m76909) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Westmont — Johnstown Incline — 1891 — Regional Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
This is one of several, similar inclines built in western Pennsylvania during the late nineteenth century. It was designed by Samuel Diescher (1839-1915) after the great flood of 1889, to provide an efficient means of transportation between Westmont . . . — Map (db m76884) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Westmont — The Johnstown Flood
On May 31, 1889, a massive earthen dam located 14 miles east of Johnstown broke under record rains, releasing 20 million tons of water into the little Conemaugh Valley. The flood hit Johnstown at 4:07 p.m., entering the town through the notch . . . — Map (db m76881) HM

1424 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1224
Paid Advertisement