Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

994 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 794
 
Miller Stadium Marker image, Touch for more information
November 1, 2018
Miller Stadium Marker
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Crowley — Miller Stadium
Built in 1948 Miller Stadium served as the home of the Crowley Millers who played in South Louisiana's semi-pro Teche League and the professional Gulf coast and Evangeline Leagues from 1948 to 1957. Popular with baseball enthusiasts, the . . . — Map (db m125823) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Evangeline — Louisiana Strikes Oil!
The first oil strike in the State of Louisiana was made on September 21, 1901 on the farm of Jules Clement in the community of Evangeline. The well was known as both Jules Clement No. 1 and Jennings Oil No. 1 after the company that drilled the . . . — Map (db m125802) HM
Louisiana (Acadia Parish), Rayne — Pouppeville
English: Named for the merchant Jules Pouppeville and dating back to the 1850s, Pouppeville was once a stagecoach stop. The town was disassembled, carried north by oxen one mile to meet the railroad, and rebuilt at Rayne Station in 1881. . . . — Map (db m103072) HM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Elizabeth — SSG Timothy Bruce Cole, Jr. - Bronze Star with Valor — KIA June 6, 2007, Ah Sadah, Iraq — Operation Iraqi Freedom
On March 5, 2007, three months prior to his death while conducting a dismounted patrol SSG Cole's element came under heavy enemy machine gun fire from the north and west. One of SSG Cole's section members, PFC Finck, was immediately hit after . . . — Map (db m125178) HM WM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Elizabeth — Town of Elizabeth
Center Panel The Elizabeth Mill

During Louisiana's timber boom, the Industrial Lumber Company purchased tens of thousands of acres of virgin pine forests. In 1907 The company founded the town of Elizabeth and began the construction of a . . . — Map (db m125179) HM

Louisiana (Allen Parish), Kinder — 1st. Lt. Douglas B. Fournet
In Memoriam 1st. Lt. Douglas B. Fournet May 7, 1943 - May 4, 1968

Awarded The Congressional Medal of Honor Posthumously by PRESIDENT RICHARD M. NIXON For Conspicuous Gallantry And Willing Sacrifice

"Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A . . . — Map (db m114501) HM WM

Louisiana (Allen Parish), Kinder — Great Louisiana Maneuvers' Blue Army Headquarters
The United States Army GHQ (General Headquarters) Maneuvers of 1941 were held throughout western Louisiana. These important war games helped to prepare the Army for its future involvement in W. W. II. Through mock battles two opposing armies, the . . . — Map (db m103110) HM WM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Kinder — Kinder War Monument
This monument is Dedicated to honor all Who gave their lives in Defense of their country — Map (db m114511) WM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Kinder — Kinder, Louisiana
Named for James A. Kinder, who received a homestead certificate for land in 1892. Kansas City, Watkins, and Gulf Railway arrived in 1890. Kinder was incorporated as a village in 1903. Patrick E. Moore served as first mayor. — Map (db m103117) HM
Louisiana (Allen Parish), Oberlin — Oberlin: A Blending of Cultures
Center Panel Oberlin: A Settlement on the Edge of the Prairie Oberlin is located at the edge of the Louisiana prairie. Beyond it, the landscape turns to pine forests:. Positioned as it is, Oberlin stands as a unique mixture of two . . . — Map (db m126071) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Darrow — Houmas House
Houmas Indian land grant sold to Conway and Latil in 1774. Sold to Revolutionary War hero Wade Hampton 1811. Greek revival mansion built by John Smith Preston in 1840. Restored by Dr. George Crozat in 1940. — Map (db m109683) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Bayou Lafourche — Mississippi River Junction — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Once a course of the Mississippi River, Bayou Lafourche helped shape Louisiana's coastline by carrying fresh water, sediment and nutrients south to the Gulf of Mexico.

Bayou LaFourche is a 106-mile waterway that stretches from Donaldsonville . . . — Map (db m111250) HM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Charles "Chalou" Trepagnier Building
This building built in 1868 served as the Ascension parish Courthouse and jail. On June 1, 2017, the Ascension Parish Council officially changed the name to Charles "Chalou" Trepagnier Building in honor of his 51 years as a law enforcer.

Born to . . . — Map (db m123662) HM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Donaldsonville — Dedicated to the Memory Of
Dedicated To The Memory Of These Men Of Ascension Parish Who Gave Their Lives In The Services Of Their Country In World War I and World War II — Map (db m126726) WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — "The Mother of All Battles Has Begun!" — - Saddam Hussein, January 17, 1991
As U.S.-led coalition forces began to unleash a ferocious air war on Iraq with Operation Desert Storm, Iraq's dictator Saddam Hussein took to state radio, telling his people "the great duel, the mother of all battles has begun...the dawn of victory . . . — Map (db m115062) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — "The War to End War" — - President Woodrow Wilson
U.S. President Woodrow Wilson had lofty goals for World War I, including his hope that the war would create a set of conditions that made future wars impossible. Along with his plea that the war should be fought "to make the world safe for . . . — Map (db m114884) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — A View From The Trenches: A Doughboy From Donaldsonville Writes Home
A young resident of Donaldsonville named Private Bennett J. Babin wrote the following letters while serving in the trenches in France in 1918. The first was written to G.D. Bentley, the editor of The Donaldsonville Chief, a weekly newspaper serving . . . — Map (db m115002) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Ascension Parish Residents Fighting the War on Terror — The 769th Engineer Battalion In The Iraq War (2007 - 2008)
Long-time Ascension Parish residents Sergeant Major Chad Lynch, Major Cindy Haygood, Sergeant First Class Bonnie Hymel, and First Sergeant Chad Anderson played vital roles in the Iraq War. They were sent in as part of what became known as the "Iraq . . . — Map (db m114932) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Civil War — Louisiana's Role in the War
Louisiana occupied a highly strategic location during the Civil War. Home to both the South's largest city, New Orleans, as well as the largest Confederate training base in the Gulf South at Camp Moore, and positioned to control the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m114854) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Civil War — Western Theater Of War
Union efforts in the western theater of the war centered on seizing control of the many rivers and streams that pierced the Southern heartland. Employing ironclad warships capable of destroying the South's outdated masonry forts, Union forces . . . — Map (db m114997) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Civil War — Eastern Theatre Of War
Many of the most climactic and large scale battles occurred in the eastern theatre of the war, primarily Virginia. With the capital cities of both North and South in perilous proximity of one another, much of the fighting in the east naturally . . . — Map (db m114999) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — In War There Is No Substitute for Victory — General Douglas MacArthur
During the first year of the Korean War, President Harry Truman and General Douglas MacArthur, the man Truman put in charge, started to have fundamental disagreements about the methods and overall purpose of the war. MacArthur came to believe that . . . — Map (db m114991) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Louisiana Marines in the Persian Gulf War
In response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in August 1990, U.S. President George H.W. Bush ordered 540,000 American troops to the sands of Saudi Arabia to protect it from Iraqi encroachment and to convince Iraq to leave Kuwait. Louisiana residents . . . — Map (db m114933) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Mexico Will Poison Us — Ralph Waldo Emerson
One of America's most important literary figures, Ralph Waldo Emerson (May 25, 1803 - April 27, 1882), wrote these words that turned out to be prophetic. Before the Mexican-American War began, Emerson predicted that "the U.S. will conquer Mexico, . . . — Map (db m114882) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — Star Spangled Banner

"AND THE ROCKETS' RED GLARE, THE BOMBS BURSTING IN AIR, GAVE PROOF THROUGH THE NIGHT THAT OUR FLAG WAS STILL THERE."---“Star Spangled Banner" By Francis Scott Key

In September 1814, an American lawyer named Francis Scott Key was sent . . . — Map (db m114831) HM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Battle of New Orleans, 1815
Only 69 miles from where you are standing, the most significant battle of the War of 1812 was fought, the Battle of New Orleans. Ironically, it was neither fought in New Orleans, nor was it fought during the official War of 1812. Instead, it was . . . — Map (db m114830) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Civil War — 1861-1865
Background Throughout the antebellum period, the Northern and the Southern United States developed divergent economies as the North industrialized and commercialized while the South's mild climate and extended growing season allowed it to . . . — Map (db m115035) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Korean War
Panel 1 The Korean War (June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953) erupted in 1950 when the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) invaded the Republic of Korea (South Korea). What started as a civil war quickly turned into a matter of . . . — Map (db m115122) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Mexican-American War — The Louisiana Connection
Three Louisiana men played prominent roles in the Mexican-American War. Though John Slidell was born in New York, he moved to New Orleans in 1819, started a successful law practice, and eventually became an important leader of the Democratic Party . . . — Map (db m114832) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Mexican-American War — 1846-1848
Panel 1 Fifteen years before Americans began fighting each other in the Civil War, they were at war with their neighbors to the south in Mexico. The Mexican-American War began in 1846 and lasted less than two years with the Americans achieving a . . . — Map (db m114839) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Persian Gulf War — August 2, 1990-February 28, 1991
Panel 1

At the stroke of midnight on August 2, 1990, Iraqi troops blasted across the border of their tiny oil-rich neighbor to the south in Kuwait in order to occupy and annex the small sheikdom and gain control of its ample oil reserves. . . . — Map (db m115151) HM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The Vietnam War — 1954-1975
Panel 1

Much like the Korean War before it, the Vietnam War started as a civil war in Asia, but quickly evolved into an international matter because it became yet another manifestation of the Cold War. By 1954, a communist regime . . . — Map (db m115153) WM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The War of 1812
Panel 1Only twenty-nine years after winning its independence from Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War, the United States found itself at war once again with its former mother country. The War of 1812 began on June 18, 1812 when Congress . . . — Map (db m114827) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The War on Terror: The Afghanistan War — (Operation Enduring Freedom)
Toppling the Taliban (October 2001 - December 2001)

Within days of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the U.S. government blamed Al Qaeda, a group of Islamic extremists led by Osama bin Laden in Afghanistan. The Taliban, an . . . — Map (db m115816) HM WM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — The War on Terror: The Afghanistan War And The Iraq War
Out of the clear blue morning sky of September 11, 2001, war came to America. Nineteen hijackers seized four passenger planes and flew them as manned missiles directly into symbols of American financial and military power. Two planes struck the . . . — Map (db m115804) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — War on Terror: The Iraq War — (Operation Iraqi Freedom)
Deposing a Dictator: Invading Iraq and the Overthrow of Saddam Hussein (March 2003 – May 2003)

By the end of 2002, President George W. Bush had become dissatisfied with Saddam Hussein's level of cooperation with U.N. weapons . . . — Map (db m115805) HM WM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — World War I — The Great War — 1914-1918
Panel 1 Background

World War I, also known as the Great War, was a global clash between most of the world's great powers from 1914 to 1918. The participating nations divided themselves into two camps. On one side, Austria-Hungary, Germany, . . . — Map (db m115036) HM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — World War II
Background Twenty years after the "the war to end war," World War I, a far more brutal, destructive, and deadlier conflict broke out—World War II. Fought from 1939 to 1945, the Second World War included almost every nation in the . . . — Map (db m115794) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — WWII - War In Europe
The Big Three Agree

While the American soldiers were proving their worth in the Mediterranean (see the panel War in the Mediterranean), they still had not made a huge impact in western Europe, mainly because the British Prime Minister . . . — Map (db m115788) HM WM

Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — WWII - War In The Mediterranean — (North Africa, Sicily, and Italy)
By December 11, 1941, the U.S. was officially at war with all three major Axis powers, but most Americans wanted to see the Japanese head of the three-headed monster cut off first because of what happened at Pearl Harbor. American military . . . — Map (db m115796) HM WM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Gonzales — WWII - War In The Pacific
Post Pearl Harbor

American and British military planners decided on a strategy of “Europe First", but that did not mean “Neglect Japan Entirely.” Indeed, fierce fighting took place in the Pacific in the immediate . . . — Map (db m115786) HM WM

Louisiana (Assumption Parish), Pierre Part — Pierre Part Bay — Virgin Island Bridge — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
The community of Pierre Part in nearly surrounded by water and was inaccessible by land until the Mid-20th century, thus isolated from much of the world.

Bayous lace this portion of south Louisiana. The highest land in the area is located . . . — Map (db m111809) HM

Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Big Bend — A Historic Landmark
Sarto Old Iron Bridge is the first bridge in Louisiana to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The State Review Committee for the National Register of Historic Places in Baton Rouge first considered the bridge on November 21, 1989 . . . — Map (db m105643) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Big Bend — Bayou Des Glaises — SARTO Old Iron Bridge — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Bayou Des Glaises' French name likely refers to the kind of loamy, clay soil that settlers found along its banks.

Bayous are typically found in flat, low-lying areas and can be slow-moving streams, rivers, marshes or wetlands. They are . . . — Map (db m116249) HM

Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Big Bend — Big Bend: Development of a Community
Big Bend is located along Louisiana State Highway 451, adjacent to Bayou des Glaises in a loop through northeastern Avoyelles Parish, between Hamburg and Moreauville. The community was settled in the 19th century by people of both French and . . . — Map (db m105604) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Big Bend — Sarto Old Iron Bridge
English Side Prior to 1913, floodwaters from the nearby Mississippi, Atchafalaya, and Red Rivers frequently forced the evacuation of people, livestock and property in the Big Bend area. The Avoyelles Parish Police Jury in 1915 authorized . . . — Map (db m105571) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Big Bend — Sarto Old Iron Bridge
The Sarto Old Iron Bridge, built in 1916, is a steel truss bridge traversing Bayou des Glaises in the rural community of Big Bend. The Sarto Bridge is a pedestrian and vehicular bridge, one lane wide with a three part centered span mounted on a . . . — Map (db m105786) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Big Bend — What is the Sarto Bridge?
The Sarto Old Iron Bridge was built in response to flood problems in northeast Avoyelles Parish during the early part of the twentieth century. Frequent flooding between Bayou des Glaises and the Red River resulted in the need to evacuate people, . . . — Map (db m105599) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Brouillette — Red River — Lock & Dam 1 — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Located on Red River 11 miles upstream from Marksville, Lock & Dam #1 is the first of five locks used to manage transportation from Shreveport to the Mississippi and Atchafalaya Rivers.

The Red River is 1,360 miles long and originates in the . . . — Map (db m116089) HM

Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Bunkie — White's Chapel United Methodist Church
Gothic Revival church built in 1894 by Hugh and Lee Evans on land donated by Wilson A. O'Quin, Sr. It was named in honor of Rev. Frederick White who organized it in 1870. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m107478) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Effie — Centerpoint
Centerpoint, Louisiana was first settled in the early 1800's. It derives its name from being the center of Ward One in Avoyelles Parish. Many of the descendants of the early settlers of Centerpoint would come to settle in Effie. — Map (db m110627) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Effie — Effie
Effie, Louisiana was established around 1898. The area was known as "Point Maigre" by early settlers. Benjamin F. Garlington became postmaster and renamed the area, "Effie", after his daughter. He ran the post office out of his house near this . . . — Map (db m110602) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Effie — Senator Dayton C. McCann
Born 4-23-1914 to William Archie & Cedonia (Sayes) McCann Served his country 1940-1944 World War II Pacific Theater AAC Reconnaissance Pilot Active State & Local politics State Representative 1944-1948 LA. State Senator 1952-1956 Owner Avoyelles . . . — Map (db m110657) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Effie — State Champions 1985
On May 11, 1985, Lafargue High School's baseball team became the Louisiana State Champion of Class B. Other highlights were a District 9-B Championship and an undefeated season. It was the greatest athletic accomplishment of Lafargue High School in . . . — Map (db m110934) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Effie — Vick
Vick, Louisiana was established around 1896. The postmaster was Joe Berlin, the son of the first settler of Vick, George Berlin. Joe would name the area "Vick" after his wife Victoria. Vick is well known for its rich farm land. — Map (db m110610) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Eola — Fogleman Cemetery — Typical Frontier Cemetery Dating From the Early 1800s
John Fogleman, a native of Virginia, was in this area in 1816, a witness to his sister's wedding in the St. Landry Courthouse. He married Polly Sandefur there Jan. 1, 1819. On Nov. 28, 1853, the estate of the deceased John Fogleman was sold in a . . . — Map (db m107482) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Mansura — Avoyelles Parish Vietnam Memorial — 1965-1971
This Section of highway is dedicated to honor the Avoyelles Parish Veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States, who served in Vietnam War. Those killed in action are listed in the order they were taken from us.

Marine CPL Brian . . . — Map (db m120960) WM

Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Mansura — Presentation Academy
Site of first Catholic school in Avoyelles Parish - 1855. Founded by Daughters of the Cross of Treguier, France, under Mother Mary Hyacinth Le Conniat on request of Bishop Martin. Battle of Mansura, May 16, 1864, began on Convent grounds. — Map (db m110431) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Alfred Greenhouse, Sr. Home — c. 1881
Large story and a half Acadian style residence built by Alfred Greenhouse and his wife Cecilia Bontempt. Greenhouse was a farmer, cattleman, landowner and hunter who often cared for cattle kept in the lowlands during the winter months. Indian . . . — Map (db m117693) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Barbin-Satterthwaite Home — 1904
Turn of the century Victorian home featuring Colonial influence. Wrap around porch with complete central hallway. Built by Dr. Aristide Barbin. Restored by Tucker Couvillon family in the 1950's and the Leon Satterthwaite family in the 1990's. — Map (db m120982) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Belle Oak
Raised Greek Revival dwelling with Victorian influence built in 1872 by Alfred and Elizka Bordelon. Occupied by direct descendants. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m122655) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Bettevy-DeNux-Roy Home — 1917
Full two story Arts and Crafts dwelling with Colonial Revival facade. Built by Michel Bettevy, prominent local banker. Later home to Leroy Havard family and the family of Dr. Alton DeNux, former Mayor and State Representative. — Map (db m120955) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Bordelon-Decuir-Robinson Home — 1910
Victorian dwelling Colonial influence. Built by Alfred Bordelon who practiced dentistry and law in Cottonport and Marksville. Built along northern edge of Spanish land grant of Francois Bordelon. — Map (db m120984) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Bordelon-Laborde Home — c. 1925
Arts and Crafts style house built by Judge Lester Bordelon. Features a large central hallway flanked by gracious rooms and beveled glass entrance. — Map (db m120973) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Brashear-Lafargue-Gremillion Home — c. 1843
Part of home built by Marksville's first mayor, Charles Brashear. Located originally at corner of Cappel and Monroe Sts. Later housed Bell's Tavern. In 1856, Adolph Lafargue opened a boys' school in building and published "The Villager" newspaper . . . — Map (db m120887) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Brouillette-Guillot-Luke House
Arts and Crafts style house Circa 1920. Built as a spec House by T. James and Zepher Newton Brouillette. Purchased as rental property in May 1934 by Ceran R. and Eliza Zimmer Guillot. Similar to the house next door, but smaller in size. — Map (db m121174) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Coco-Piazza Home — 1911
Full two story dwelling built in classic Arts and Crafts style. Features tile roof, stained glass and original Arts and Crafts interior. Designed by Favrot and Livaudais of New Orleans for L. Jules Coco, prominent local merchant. — Map (db m121066) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Confederate Hospital Site — c. 1864
A Confederate military hospital was maintained in this area during the Red River campaign of the Civil War. Patients were housed in a Mr. Richaud's buildings on Monroe Street according to an 1864 newspaper account. — Map (db m121012) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Corrine Saucier Birth Site
Author of History of Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana published in 1943. Was an Asst. Professor of Spanish and French at Louisiana State Normal College, Natchitoches, Louisiana. — Map (db m121237) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Cushman Home Site — c. 1840
The two story plantation home of Judge Ralph Cushman was near this site. Cushman died of yellow fever in 1855, and is buried in this cemetery which bears his name. Other family cemeteries which were founded during this period include the Cannon . . . — Map (db m120388) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Decuir-Gaspard Home — 1910
Modified Victorian and Arts and Crafts style home built by Albert Decuir, dairyman and farmer on Spanish land grant property of his ancestor, Francois Bordelon. Presently owned by Decuir's grandson. — Map (db m120983) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Dr. John Ware's Mule Tramway Site — c. 1896
Mule driven tramway. Flat cars on rails from Marksville to Red River, a distance of six miles. Carried supplies and produce to and from Ware's Landing on the river to a warehouse on this site. — Map (db m120927) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Frank Hotel Site — c. 1840 - 1921
A large Eastlake Victorian one and a half story structure with heavy Victorian ornamentation stood on this site. Built by Adolph Frank, German native. Local folklore states that Andrew Jackson stayed at an earlier inn on this site. — Map (db m122504) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Gardiner-Laborde Home — 1896
Built by Alfred Dupuy for J. R. Smith. Later home to the Gardiner and Benjamin Laborde families. Full two story Victorian dwelling with upper and lower galleries. Strong Eastlake influence of both interior and exterior. — Map (db m103560) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Garrot-Smith Home — c.1922
Arts and Crafts style frame home built by Louis Garrot, a local merchant. Oldest family dwelling on Cappel Street. — Map (db m121315) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Graham-Guillory-Luke Home
Arts and Crafts style house Circa 1948. Rufus and Enola Dupuy Guillory purchased the property in April 1948 from Tillman and Mabel Graham. Perma Stone (faux stone) was Placed on the exterior walls and posts of the chain fence. One of the . . . — Map (db m121176) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Gremillion-Degrusha Home — c. 1915
Arts and Crafts style home built by Judge Phidias Gremillion. Is unique because it features a gabled roof. The wainscoted dining room is highlighted by a plate rail. — Map (db m103700) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Holy Ghost Catholic Church — 1923
Frame structure with Greek Revival influence was built for the Black Catholic families of Marksville and staffed by the Holy Ghost Fathers. Rev. Fr. T.J. Nolan was the first pastor and this church was built by Rev. Fr. John Cooney. — Map (db m117651) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Holy Ghost Catholic School
Founded by Rev. Fr. Nicholas Juderman as a school for Black Catholic children. Land donated by Daughters of the Cross. Funding obtained from Mother Katherine Drexel, founder of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament. Opened in 1917. First . . . — Map (db m122502) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — J. Horace Ducote Law Office — c. 1900
Ducote, a local attorney and former Mayor, practiced law from this Victorian brick and frame building at the turn of the century. — Map (db m103692) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Joffrion-Roy-Luke Home — 1908
Classic Greek Revival home with heavy Colonial influence built by attorney, J.W."Buddy" Joffrion. Features a tile roof and spacious gardens. Designed by Favrot and Livaudais of New Orleans.

Lower plaque: Joffrion House Has been placed . . . — Map (db m120928) HM

Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Jules Coco Building — 1899-1918
Left section of this building was built in 1899 and the right section was added in 1918 by Jules Coco, a local merchant. This building has housed general merchandize (sic) stores, a Ford dealership, photo studio, hat shop, record shop, . . . — Map (db m122079) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Laborde Building — 1926
Arts and Crafts two story brick building built by Dr. E. M. Laborde and Cliffe E. Laborde for commercial use downstairs and dental and legal offices upstairs. Tidewater Marine, Inc., founded here in 1956. — Map (db m103567) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Building — c. 1900
Victorian mercantile store built by Lewis P. Roy, Sr. Restored in 1984-85 by attorneys Tucker Melancon and Rodney Rabalais and certified public accountants Aloysia C. Ducote and Van P. Major. — Map (db m103699) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Marc Elichι Home Site
Marc Elichι founder of Marksville, and his wife Julie Carmouche resided in a home on this site. — Map (db m121009) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Marksville Masonic Lodge Building — 1925
The Masonic Lodge was first organized in 1900 and chartered on February 12, 1901. The lodge moved to this two story frame Arts and Crafts style building in 1925. — Map (db m122417) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Maxwell Bordelon Law Office — c. 1890
Small brick edifice with Victorian influence built by William Peterman, native of Pennsylvania and a railroad attorney. He married Belle Bordelorn and later moved his practice to Alexandria. — Map (db m121177) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Molenar Photography Studio Site — c. 1890-1900
H. Molenar and J.A. Dalsuet photographed much of early Marksville and its early inhabitants. Most of the photographs that have survived were made by Molenar who had a studio on this site. — Map (db m122654) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Old Church of the Nazarene — c. 1932
The Marksville Church of the Nazarene was organized on October 26, 1926 in the home of Mrs. L.J. Coco. Rev. L.L. Latham was the first minister. This "New England” style building has outstanding twelve over twelve windows. . . . — Map (db m122524) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Peerless Cleaners and Hotel — c.1910
Full two story frame structure housing a business and hotel. Property originally owned by Madame Marc Elichι. Purchased in the 1940's by Jules Moreau for a "pressing shop". Also housed a tractor dealership at one time. — Map (db m121367) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Presentation Academy
Founded by the Daughters of the Cross of Treguier, France in 1854 at Hydropolis (Cocoville), and relocated to this site after the Civil War. First Catholic girls' school in Avoyelles Parish. Later became co-educational. — Map (db m122415) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Roy-Cappel Home — c. 1911
Built by L. P. Roy, Sr., prominent bank president, State Representative and local entrepreneur. Designed by Favrot and Livaudais of New Orleans in the Arts and Crafts style. Features a tile roof and much use of beveled glass throughout. "Sister" . . . — Map (db m121196) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Site of General Store
Site of general store and post office where Sam Bass mailed Solomon Northup's letter to obtain his freedom from being kidnapped into slavery. Northup was a free man of color living in Saratoga, New York and was hired to play violin in Washington, . . . — Map (db m122414) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Solomon Northup, "Twelve Years a Slave"
Solomon Northup, a free man of color from New York, was lured to Washington, D.C. in 1841 and kidnapped into slavery. Brought to New Orleans, he was sold to spend 12 years as a slave in Central Louisiana arriving on the Red River in Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m120959) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Spring Bayou — Spring Bayou Wildlife Management Area — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail
Spring Bayou in located within the Spring Bayou Wildlife Management Area, which spans more than 12,000 acres in the low-lying , poorly drained Red River backwater system.

Spring Bayou is located within Spring Bayou Wildlife Management Area, . . . — Map (db m117592) HM

Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — St. Peter's Episcopal Chapel Site — 1902
Congregation established in 1881 as a mission from St. James Church in Alexandria. Rev. W.S. Slack was pastor of the church on this site in 1902. — Map (db m121239) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Marksville — Watts-Dupuy-Scallan Home — c.1916
Arts and Crafts style home built by Roy Watts and home to Carnot Dupuy for many years. Mr. Dupuy, a pharmacist, was mayor of Marksville in 1920 and also served on the School Board. — Map (db m103559) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Moreauville — Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church — Moreauville, Louisiana
The first church for Catholics in the Moreauville area along Bayou des Glaises was built in 1858 and known as St. Hyacinthe's Mission Chapel that was administered by St. Paul's Church, Mansura. Widow Aimee Joffrion Boyer donated the property on . . . — Map (db m99181) HM
Louisiana (Avoyelles Parish), Simmesport — Veterans Memorial — All Gave Some. Some Gave All
VETERANS MEMORIAL All Gave Some. Some Gave All. — Map (db m105943) WM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), DeRidder — Grabow Riot
At this site, on July 7, 1912, a violent confrontation occurred between the Galloway Lumber Company and the Brotherhood of Timber Workers. The riot left 4 men dead and an estimated 50 men wounded. It was the defining event in the attempt to . . . — Map (db m125227) HM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), DeRidder — Shady Grove School/Community Building
Built 1919-used as a school until 1928. Bought by community families to be used for cultural and social activities. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places December 2002. — Map (db m125177) HM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), DeRidder — World War II DeRidder Army Air Base Memorial
Erected in memory of United States Army Air Force personnel who lost their lives in training accidents at the DeRidder Army Airport and Gunnery Range, 1942-45. — Map (db m124846) HM
Louisiana (Beauregard Parish), Sugartown — Old Camp Ground Cemetery — Established in the 1820's
A memorial to the pioneers of Sugartown (early outpost of Southwest Louisiana), whose courage and fortitude helped subdue the historic "Neutral Territory" of the Sabine-Rio Hondo Strip, claimed and contended for by four nations - France, Spain, . . . — Map (db m124845) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Ball's Auditorium — 1414 St. John Street
One block from this site stood Ball's Auditorium from 1945 to 1995. Here, Reginald Ball, Sr. operated a trade school to help returning World War II African- American veterans obtain jobs through training in the crafts. By the 1950s, the trade . . . — Map (db m116201) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Goldband Studio
Goldband Records was founded in 1945 by Eddie Shuler to record the music of his band “The All-Star Revelers” and later to record music created by other regional musicians. The record label was known for its Cajun, swamp pop, and . . . — Map (db m116634) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Killen Field
Louisiana High School Hall of Famer, R.S. Killen, coached from 1924-1950. In 1944, this stadium was named Killen Field in his honor. The name was revoked in 1953 due to a state law barring naming public structures after living persons. This stadium . . . — Map (db m116256) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — LaGrange High School
In 1903, Mesard LaGrange donated an acre for a one-room schoolhouse at this site, and in 1913 offered to donate 9 more acres for an expansion of the school. The School Board at the time offered him $1000 for the land to obtain clear title. In 1929, . . . — Map (db m116338) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Lake Charles High School Kilties — 1939-1983
The Lake Charles High School Kilties, Louisiana's first all-girl drill team, was widely known for its fast-stepping precision drills, its unique drum cadences and its tartan plaid uniforms. With the piercing trill of the Colonels' whistles and the . . . — Map (db m116203) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Lost Railroad Stations
At least four railroad stations were located in Lake Charles, all of which have been lost. On Railroad Avenue at Bilbo were passenger and freight stations (circa 1880) for Louisiana Western Railroad, later Southern Pacific which ran to points east . . . — Map (db m116217) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — Louisiana Baptist Orphanage
Area congregations constructed a two-story orphanage in 1899 that housed up to 150 children at a time. This location was selected for the wholesome, rural character of the setting. The landmark structure was so identified with this part of the . . . — Map (db m116272) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — St. Charles Academy
The original site of St. Charles Academy was the northeast corner of Ryan and Kirby, part of the Roman Catholic complex of church, convent and school destroyed in the Great Fire of 1910. Opening in 1882, St. Charles Academy was staffed by the . . . — Map (db m116323) HM
Louisiana (Calcasieu Parish), Lake Charles — The Arcade Theatre and Miller Building, the Paramount and the Weber Building — 822 Ryan Street to 840 Ryan Street
Four important landmarks once stood here, part of an unbroken line of buildings from Railroad Avenue to Clarence Street.

The Weber Building housed professional offices and was the center of Western Union communications for this region. The . . . — Map (db m116238) HM

Louisiana (Caldwell Parish), Columbia — Caldwell Parish Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m120210) WM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 156-166 St. Catherine Street — Natchez Trails
The 1928 Natchez City Directory lists Italian immigrant Sam Anzalone as operating a grocery store at 158-160 St. Catherine Street where he sold gasoline for 21 cents a gallon. Many of the late- nineteenth-century Italian immigrants farmed and sold . . . — Map (db m114509) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 20-30 St. Catherine Street and Eduation — Natchez Trails
. Eliza Smith, an antebellum "free woman of color," purchased property on St. Catherine Street in the 1850s. Her daughters and their families built new houses on the property in the 1880s.

28 St. Catherine Street (above) was the ca. 1885 home of . . . — Map (db m108276) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 300 Block of Martin Luther King Street — formerly North Pine Street — Natchez Trails
300 North Martin Luther King Street (above) is home to the city's oldest funeral business.

Robert D. Mackel (below) opened Bluff City Undertaking in 1898 at the corner of Jefferson and North Rankin Streets. About 1911 he relocated the business . . . — Map (db m108600) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Abandoned Mound
The Abandoned Mound (designated “Mound A”) remains a mystery. Numerous French colonial narratives describe the other two mounds at the Grand Village but fail to mention this mound. The Natchez Indians apparently stopped using this mound . . . — Map (db m114672) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — African American Public Education — Natchez Trails
The Union School (above) was the first public school built by the City of Natchez for African American students. Built in 1871 by contractor P. E. Willman, the Union School was a grand brick edifice which stood at the southeast corner of North . . . — Map (db m115615) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — America's Domestic "Slave" Trading Routes To The Deep South — Passage of Sorrows — Water and Land Routes to the Forks of the Road
Professional dealers, traffickers and speculators, by purchase, by hook, crook and sometimes outright kidnapping, tore apart mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, babies, young children, relations and friends . . . — Map (db m114508) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bishops' Prayer Garden
In 2012, the Diocese of Jackson celebrates the 175th anniversary of its founding by Pope Gregory XVI. The Bishop's Prayer Garden, located on the old catholic burial ground, is dedicated in this year to the seven deceased Bishops of Natchez who . . . — Map (db m115630)
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Bluff Park and North Broadway Street — Natchez Trails
The Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad built the passenger station on the bluff shortly after 1910, and the Illinois Central Railroad was the last railroad to own it. Like many smal towns across America, Natchez lost passenger . . . — Map (db m118303) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ceremonial Center
Archaeological and historical evidence indicates that the Grand Village of Natchez Indians was not really a "village." It was the main ceremonial mound center for the Natchez Indians during the period of French exploration and colonization of the . . . — Map (db m104481) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Churches in the St. Catherine Street Neighborhood — Natchez Trails
The original appearance of Mt. Sinai Baptist Church is visible in a ca. 1930 historic photograph. The church featured corner towers crowned with domes.

Mt. Sinai organized in 1913 and built the church soon afterwards. Like most historic African . . . — Map (db m108636) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Conflict with the French
War with the French forced the Natchez Indians to abandon the Grand Village and their other settlements. The war arose from disputes between the Indians and the French over debts and land ownership. In 1729, the Natchez abruptly switched their . . . — Map (db m108778) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Davis-Miller-Dumas House - 69 St. Catherine Street — Natchez Trails
Henry Dumas poses on the front steps of 69 St. Catherine Street. Henry managed the Dumas Pharmacy at 707-09 Franklin Street, a building that also housed the medical practice and sanitarium of his brother Dr. Albert W. Dumas, Sr. In 1940 Dr. Dumas . . . — Map (db m115637) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Dr. John Banks House - 9 St. Catherine Street — Natchez Trails
The Dr. John Banks House was built in the Queen Anne style about 1890 and was slightly remodeled in the Colonial Style after about 1905. Frank Robinson, grandson of Dr. John Banks, retired part time to Natchez and restored the house in the . . . — Map (db m106297) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Gloucester Cemetery
Here are buried the families of Winthrop Sargent, 1st Gov. of the Mississippi Territory, and Seargent S. Prentiss, Congressman. "Let no monumental marble deface with its mock dignity the patriot's grave." — Map (db m103804) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Good Neighbors - Alexanders and Gonnellinis — Natchez Trails
Louis and Anna Alexander resided in the craftsman style cottage (above) at 17 St. Catherine Street.

Until his death in the late 1940s, Louis Alexander worked at the historic mansion Melrose for George and Ethel Kelly. He died during a trip to . . . — Map (db m115953) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Grand Village of the Natchez Indians — Mississippi Mound Trail
Of the six mounds identified on the early 18th-century maps of the Grand Village, three remain. Mound A is now eroding into St. Catherine Creek. Mound B is a pyramidal platform mound, roughly seven feet tall, built in four stages. Each stage served . . . — Map (db m103758) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Historic Plaza
The Natchez Indians used the open area between the Great Sun's Mound and the Temple Mound for religious and social ceremonies. In 1725, the funeral ceremonies for the Tattooed Serpent, brother of the Great Sun, were held on this plaza. Le Page Du . . . — Map (db m110549) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Historic Use of Ceremonial Mounds
Eyewitness accounts of American Indians using ceremonial mound centers are very rare. In 1704, French colonists witnessed the funeral rites for a female Natchez chief at the Grand Village. The Natchez held a similar funeral ceremony here in 1725 . . . — Map (db m114668) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Historical Archaeology - the Chief's House and Temple
The Natchez chief called the Great Sun lived in a house on Mound B. The Jesuit missionary Pierre- Franηois-Xavier de Charlevoix wrote that the Natchez houses were square or rectangular in floor plan with mud walls plastered on a wooden frame. Roofs . . . — Map (db m114666) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — History of St. Catherine Street — Natchez Trails
Pre-Civil War St. Catherine Street The road, for the first mile, after leaving town, passed through a charming country, seen at intervals, and between long lines of unpainted, wretched looking dwellings, occupied as 'groggeries' by free . . . — Map (db m106918) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Holy Family Church and School — Natchez Trails
In 1889 Bishop Thomas Heslin started the first parish for Roman Catholic African Americans in Mississippi. He first oversaw construction of a small frame church (above left) on Beaumont Street and brought Father A.N.J. Peters to Natchez to become . . . — Map (db m104502) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Hospital Hill Neighborhood — Natchez Trails
The portion of St. Catherine Street that extends from the site of the Rhythm Night Club to D'Evereux Street was originally part of the property of the city's first public hospital (above).

The hospital fronted St. Catherine and stood on a hill on . . . — Map (db m108586) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Immaculate Conception Shrine c. 1846 — Oldest Extant Outdoor Shrine Dedicated to Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
1830: July 18-December 30- The Blessed Virgin Mary appears to St. Catherine Lebourι, Daughter of Charity, in Paris, France 1830: July 27 Revolution - Louis Philippe overthrows King Charles X of France 1832: - First Miraculous . . . — Map (db m104067) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — In Gratitude
In Gratitude To the men and women of Adams County Who served in World War I And to those who died in the line of duty — Map (db m106177) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of High and North Wall Streets — Natchez Trails
Joseph Neibert built Choctaw in 1836 as his mansion townhouse. Neibert was a cotton planter. In the 1830s he and his partner Peter Gemmel, operated the city's most successful building firm, which employed both white and enslaved . . . — Map (db m104476) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Jefferson and North Union streets — Natchez Trails
Ethel Clagett and Mabel Porter were among the first women in America to own a car dealership that was not inherited from a male spouse or relative. They opened their dealership in 1914 on Main Street and moved to a larger new facility on . . . — Map (db m108610) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and North Pearl streets — Natchez Trails
The 1927 Eola Hotel is the tallest building in downtown Natchez. Named for Eola Levy, the daughter of developer Isadore Levy, it became a center for social activity for the city. Celebrities who visited the hotel in the mid-1900s . . . — Map (db m114303) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and South Commerce streets — Natchez Trails
The Natchez Institute, built in 1901, replaced an 1845 school building. The Natchez Institute was the first public school in Mississippi to offer a full course of free education for white children. The first public school . . . — Map (db m127142) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Main and South Union Streets — Natchez Trails
An 1890 view of Memorial Park shows the Confederate soldier monument draped for unveiling. Like many others across the south, it faces north towards the opposing army.The park's creation was part of the Lost Cause Movement that expressed . . . — Map (db m104480) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of North Canal and Jefferson streets — Natchez Trails
On this hill, Andrew Ellicott raised the American flag in 1797. This act claimed the Natchez Territory for the United States and helped hasten the departure of the Spanish. A few years later, James Moore built a home on the site, known today as the . . . — Map (db m114446) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of South Broadway and Washington streets — Natchez Trails
Edelweiss is a Swiss Chalet-style building which dates to 1883. The house offered both a great view of the Mississippi River and a convenient location for the family of its first owner, Joseph O'Brien, a coal-dealer at Natchez . . . — Map (db m108807) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of State and South Canal streets — Natchez Trails
William Johnson, a freed person of color, was a barber, entrepreneur, and slave owner. He built this house in 1841 using materials salvaged after the 1840 tornado that damaged much of downtown. His diary details its construction and . . . — Map (db m115610) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of State and South Pearl streets — Natchez Trails
Institute Hall was built in 1852-1853 as a public auditorium and a companion building to the Natchez Institute. The contractors were the Weldon Brothers, who used over 100 enslaved craftsmen and whose head draftsman was a slave named . . . — Map (db m115628) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of State and South Wall streets — Natchez Trails
The domed Federal-style Adams County Courthouse appears in Audubon's 1822-1823 painted landscape of Natchez. Built in 1817, this courthouse is the oldest in Mississippi. It was remodeled in 1925. Actions at the courthouse impacted all of . . . — Map (db m114502) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Commerce streets — Natchez Trails
The present Temple B'nai Israel, built in 1904, replaced an 1870s temple that burned (pictured above). Both reflect the success of Jewish merchants after the Civil War. Jews lived in Natchez as early as the late 1700s, but their numbers . . . — Map (db m114299) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Martin Luther King streets — Natchez Trails
An 1866 photograph shows that the porch on the house at 705 Washington Street (behind you) was a later addition. Those who built houses without porches often soon added them. Travel writer Joseph Holt Ingraham noted in 1835 that the area's hot . . . — Map (db m115604) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Pearl streets — Natchez Trails
The two matching brick houses at the corner (behind you) date to 1901 and stand on the site of a brick chapel (no longer standing) built in 1849 by the First Presbyterian Church. The chapel held Wednesday evening prayer services, . . . — Map (db m107249) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Rankin streets — Natchez Trails
Gathered on the front steps of Green Leaves are the founders of the Natchez Garden Club, the women who started the local historic house tours in 1932. The vision of these women created the city's heritage tourism industry, today a major . . . — Map (db m115605) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Intersection of Washington and South Union streets — Natchez Trails
All four of the houses at this intersection were built before the Civil War, and three are associated with the family of Joseph Quegles, a Spaniard who settled in Natchez during the Spanish period (1779-1798).

Four houses near the . . . — Map (db m114301) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772, including Captain Amos Ogden. The Swayzes, Thorns & others now rest in the Kingston Cemetery — Map (db m103816) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Jersey Settlers
Erected, 1968, by Descendants of the New Jersey Settlers Organization (formed 1940) in memory of settlers of 1772 & their descendants who rest in Caleb King & Daniel Farrar Cemetery, Kingston Plantation. — Map (db m104044) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — John R. Lynch - St. Catherine Street Land Speculator — Natchez Trails
John R. Lynch turned to writing in his later years and wrote the Facts of Reconstruction in 1913. He completed his autobiography Reminiscences of an Active Life when he was 90, two years before his death in 1939.

Lynch . . . — Map (db m115927) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Judith Sargent Murray
An early American feminist writer and champion of women's rights, Murray (1751-1820) was also instrumental in fostering the Universalist Church in America. Murray lived for two years at Oak Point Plantation on this site. She died on July 6, 1820, . . . — Map (db m103817) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston
S.E. 1 mile is site of Old Jersey Settlement now known as Kingston. Here settlers from New Jersey organized first Protestant church in Mississippi with Samuel Swayze as pastor. — Map (db m104043) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston — The Jersey Settlement
E. 8 mi. Settled, 1773 by N. Jersey pioneers led by Richard and Samuel Swayze. Latter formed Congregational church, reputedly the first Protestant church in state. — Map (db m120192) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Kingston
8.8 Miles to KINGSTON First Protestant Settlement In Mississippi Territory 1773.

Dedicated 1955 by The National Society Of The Colonial Dames of America In The State Of Mississippi. — Map (db m120264) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Louis J. Winston - St. Catherine Entrepreneur — Natchez Trails
The photograph of the 1946 Brumfield High School Choral. Club, taken in the front yard of Brumfield, provides the best image of the Louis Winston House on the left. The house unfortunately burned in the 1990s. The house on the right, which still . . . — Map (db m114661) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Mississippi — The Magnolia State
Explored, 1540-1, by De Soto. Colonized first by French, 1699. Became a colony of British, 1763; Spanish, 1779. Territory organized by U.S., 1798. Became 20th. state, 1817. — Map (db m103799) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Music on St. Catherine Street — Natchez Trails
Alexander Lightfoot "Papa George" Papa George Lightfoot [1924-1971], he lived down the street from the alley I came up in, down on St. Catherine Street....He was a hustler, he had a snowball wagon, he sold peanuts. He would blow his harp . . . — Map (db m108160) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Bluffs and River Views — Natchez Trails
The Harper family mansion had a spectacular view of the river from the bluff. The construction of the railroad and related development made its land valuable for commerce, and the house and its garden were destroyed to build a large warehouse (no . . . — Map (db m104673) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Civil Rights and Old D'Evereux Street — Natchez Trails
The Deacons for Defense and Justice armed themselves in self-defense as a response to the attempted murder of local NAACP president George Metcalfe, whose car was bombed by the Ku Klux Klan in 1965.

The first meeting of the Natchez Deacons was . . . — Map (db m116326) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Natchez Civil Rights Movement - 1965 - Pivotal Year — Natchez Trails
The National Guard patrolled St. Catherine Street on September 3, 1965, not long after the August 27 bombing that nearly killed George Metcalfe, president of the local chapter of the Natchez Association for the Advancement of Colored People . . . — Map (db m115639) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Native Structures
In 1972, archaeologists found evidence of several Natchez Indian houses in this area. In some cases, house floors were superimposed on one another indicating repeated use of these locations.

The excavations revealed two different types of . . . — Map (db m114671) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — 83 — Papa Lightfoot & The Natchez Blues
Side 1The rich legacy of blues, jazz, and gospel in Natchez has often been obscured by the tragic shadow of the notorious Rhythm Club fire that claimed some 200 lives here in 1940. Alexander “Papa George” Lightfoot was one of the . . . — Map (db m105233) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Ravennaside
An outstanding example of Colonial Revival architecture, Ravennaside, built 1902, was the home of Roane Fleming Byrnes (1890-1970) and headquarters for her efforts in the creation and development of the Natchez Trace Parkway, the 444-mile National . . . — Map (db m103821) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rhythm Night Club
On April 23, 1940, 209 African Americans died in a fire at the Rhythm Club, located at this site. An overflow crowd, which included civic and cultural leaders, had come to hear the Walter Barnes Orchestra of Chicago. Considered among America's most . . . — Map (db m103794) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Road to Fort Rosalie
In the early 1700s, a road began here and connected the Grand Village with the French colonial settlement on the Mississippi River bluff near what is now downtown Natchez.

In 1723, French mapmaker Ignace Broutin produced a remarkably detailed map . . . — Map (db m111076) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Rose Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Rose Hill is the oldest black baptist congregation in the state, with origins dating to 1837. This 1908 building replaces the first wooden church and contains a 1912 Moller pipe organ. Randle Pollard was the first official pastor, serving from . . . — Map (db m105229) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Smart-Griffin-Angelety House - 180 St. Catherine Street
Ida McGuire Gillespie (left) and Odille Angelety grew up across the street from each other on St. Catherine Street and were lifelong friends. Odille never married and had a long distinguished career as a teacher at nearby Brumfield High School. . . . — Map (db m114291) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Snakes — Natchez Nature Trails
Venomous Snakes of Adams County Venomous Snakes of Adams County Watch where you walk! Adams County is home to five species of venomous snakes: the Copperhead, Eastern Cottonmouth, Eastern Coral Snake, and the Canebrake and Pygmy Rattlesnakes. . . . — Map (db m114651)
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Soldiers Retreat
"Soldiers Retreat," located here, was the home of Ferdinand Leigh and Magdaline Claiborne. F.L. Claiborne (1772-1815) moved to the Mississippi Territory from Virginia in 1807 and served as Brig. Gen. with the 1st Mississippi Volunteers during the . . . — Map (db m105260) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek
In the early 1700's, French colonists established a plantation called the "St. Catherine Concession" on this creek about two miles upstream from the Grand Village. The name was applied to the creek during the French colonial period in the Natchez . . . — Map (db m106308) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Creek Italian Colony
On January 21, 1905, a number of families from struggling farming communities near Bologna, Italy, left Genoa bound for New York aboard the S.S. Montevideo. Many of these families ventured south, some settling in this area near St. . . . — Map (db m105231) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Street - John Nosser and Nosser City — Natchez Trails
John J. Nosser, Mayor of Natchez from 1962 to 1968, was born in Lebanon in 1899 and immigrated to the United States in 1919. Mississippi welcomed a number of Lebanese immigrants who became some of the most successful businessmen in their . . . — Map (db m114458) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Catherine Street and Fourth Street — Natchez Trails
Seamstress Laura Davis made the lavish dress and train worn by Cassell Carpenter when she was Pilgrimage Garden Club Queen in 1966.

Carpenter posed in the parlor of her home Dunleith for local photographer Mabel Lane, the city's most popular . . . — Map (db m115935) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — St. Mary's Cathedral
In 1837 Natchez was designated the See of the Roman Catholic Church in Mississippi. In 1842 Bishop J. M. Chanche began construction of this structure, the only church built as a cathedral in Mississippi. — Map (db m103791) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Barlands - A Study in Black and White — Natchez Trails
The will of William Barland, a wealthy planter and downtown property owner, disclosed an interesting domestic relationship that has long intrigued historians.

Proven in 1816, the will legally acknowledged Barland's relationship with "friend and . . . — Map (db m115928) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Forest Plantation
Home and grave of William Dunbar (1749-1810), Scot settler who surveyed the boundary line between the USA and Spain-1798 and led 1st exploration of LA Purchase 1804. World-famed scientist and inventor in Miss. Territory. — Map (db m103857) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — The Stallone Family — Natchez Trails
Pictured (left to right) are the Stallone sons, Hugo, Serviglio, Premo, and Meno. All of the sons worked on St. Catherine Street. Hugo operated a grocery store, where his brother Serviglio also worked. Premo opened a plumbing and electrical . . . — Map (db m115624) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — This Cannon
This Cannon Was Taken From The Defenses At SANTIAGO De CUBA 1898 — Map (db m120208) HM WM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Three Archaeological Excavations
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History sponsored digs at the Grand Village in 1930, 1960 and 1972. The 1930 excavations employed WPA laborers to investigate mounds B and C. The archaeologists discovered that the Natchez built these . . . — Map (db m114512) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — United States Courthouse — Natchez, Mississippi
This building, completed in July of 1853 and known as Institute Hall, was re-christened Memorial Hall in 1921 in honor of veterans of World War I. Re-dedicated in 2007, the structure was extensively renovated and now houses the United States . . . — Map (db m106223) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Views of St. Catherine Street - Western End — Natchez Trails
Photographer Earl Norman stood on Jefferson Street and snapped this view of the intersection of St. Catherine, Martin Luther King and Jefferson streets.

A single column of the portico of Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church appears on the far right. Holy . . . — Map (db m108599) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Voss Family and A-B Motor Company — The Natchez Trails
Axel Voss spoke little English when he emigrated in 1925 from Copenhagen, Denmark. He worked as a mechanic for Chris Anderson and John T. Belt, who founded A-B Motor Company in a backyard garage at 114 St. Catherine. The first Voss business venture . . . — Map (db m103882) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Wharlest Jackson, Sr. — 1937-1967
Wharlest Jackson was a Natchez Civil Rights activist who lost his struggle for racial equality on February 27, 1967. The explosion of a bomb implanted under his truck took his life. Members of the Ku Klux Klan targeted Jackson, because he was . . . — Map (db m105223) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Wheaton-McGuire House - 125 St. Catherine Street — Natchez Trails
Lettie Stanton, most likely born into slavery and possibly at Brandon Hall, had a stable relationship with cotton planter William Page, who never married anyone else and fathered her two daughters, heirs to the Page estate.

Margaret Page, daughter . . . — Map (db m114292) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Zion Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church — Natchez Trails
Henry Gurney photographed Zion Chapel A.M.E. Church in 1866, the year the congregation bought the building built in 1858 as the Second Presbyterian Church. Zion Chapel had earlier purchased the Methodist Church that fronted Union Street between . . . — Map (db m110513) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Sibley — Wirt Adams's Raid
On December 1, 1863, Confederate Brig. Gen. Wirt Adams moved his cavalry from Gallatin to retake Natchez. Finding the city heavily fortified with Union infantry and heavy artillery, Adams moved south of Natchez to Ellis's Cliff, eight miles west of . . . — Map (db m103788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — A Remarkable Feat
Around 800 years ago, native peoples in this region began to transform a natural hill into what we call Emerald Mound

They followed a visionary plan and built this flat-topped sacred mound over perhaps 300 years. Covering eight acres, this . . . — Map (db m108887) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — A Well-Organized Society
Emerald Mound was the product of a complex society organized to serve and sustain the welfare of its people beginning eight centuries ago.

Life revolved around family relationships and well understood rules. An elite family, the Suns, held . . . — Map (db m115638) HM

Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — One Mound Among Many
Trade, art, and ideas linked Emerald Mound, both physically and spiritually, with mound sites throughout the eastern half of North America. Mound building, as a practice, was widespread. Over thousands of years, the native peoples who built mounds . . . — Map (db m115945) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Stanton — Still Sacred
Emerald Mound's size is impressive. Scholar James Barnett Jr. called it the region's "crowning mound-building achievement" of the Mississippian era (1,150 to 300 years ago). only a complex society mobilized for a massive multi-generational project . . . — Map (db m115946) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Andrew Jackson at Washington
Here, on April 22, 1815, over 200 citizens of the Old Natchez District entertained General Andrew Jackson on his return from the victory over the British at the Battle of New Orleans, January 8, 1815. — Map (db m105788) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Dr. John W. Monette
Scientist-historian (1803-51). Lived Ό mi. S.E. Research on yellow fever brought first quarantine in Old S.W. at Natchez, 1844. Author of scholarly book on the discovery and settlement of Mississippi Valley. — Map (db m105397) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Foster Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
Foster Mounds consists of two mounds located on either end of a large village or plaza. Mound A was built in four stages during the Plaquemine Period, sometime after AD 1400. Its original size and shape have been modified to accommodate the late . . . — Map (db m105230) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Jefferson Military College
N. 200 yd. Founded 1802. Mississippi's oldest school. Received the first charter to be conferred for any purpose by legislature of Mississippi Territory. — Map (db m105790) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Washington — Washington
Territorial capital 1802-17. Statehood constitutional convention held here in 1817. Legislature met here until 1820. During its great days, it was known as the "Versailles" of the territory. — Map (db m105353) HM

994 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 794
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.