The 436 members of the 38th Indiana Infantry Regiment deployed here, in a cut cornfield, next to the 10th Wisconsin Infantry. These men supported Captain Peter Simonson’s six cannon, which were located to your right. It was a crucial position; along . . . — — Map (db m46482) HM
About 4 PM on October 8, Colonel Samuel Powell was ordered to move his brigade westward and discover how many Federal troops were stationed west of Perryville. His 1,000-man force dutifully advanced along the Springfield Pike (today US 150 and 4th . . . — — Map (db m46416) HM
The inexperienced 80th Indiana Infantry Regiment was part of Union Colonel George Webster’s brigade. This unit included the 50th, 98th, and 121st Ohio infantry regiments and the 19th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery, commanded by Captain Samuel . . . — — Map (db m88692) HM
The Battle of Perryville was a fierce fight for the members of the 79th Pennsylvania Infantry. Fighting in these fields, this unit suffered 40 killed, 146 wounded, and 30 missing. This represents a loss of more than fifty percent of the . . . — — Map (db m46476) HM
Before the Confederate infantry attacked, the Southern army tried to weaken the Federal position by bombarding the Union lines with artillery fire. At noon, Captain William Carnes’ Confederate artillery battery took up position on one of the far . . . — — Map (db m46487) HM
They were outnumbered, but they were ready. Watching from the top of the hill across the road, members of the 3rd Ohio Infantry Regiment saw waves of attacking Confederate infantry moving toward them. These Federal soldiers, anchoring the southern . . . — — Map (db m46491) HM
Maney’s Confederates immediately discovered the lethal danger of attacking the eight Union cannon on top of the ridge in front of you. The Confederates sought cover behind a split-rail fence, but the Union artillery shattered the rails, killing and . . . — — Map (db m46469) HM
The battle was brought on by Confederate Lieut. Gen. Braxton Bragg as a delaying action to insure safe withdrawal of a huge wagon train of supplies and to enable him to effect a junction with the army of Maj. Gen. E. Kirby . . . — — Map (db m46239) HM
The Confederate Army’s advance into Kentucky in 1862 was initiated to relieve Tennessee of Union control, to align the help of dissatisfied Kentuckians and to gain access to the rich supplies Kentucky offered.
General Kirby Smith entered . . . — — Map (db m46404) HM
When the Battle of Perryville ended, hundreds of dead soldiers were left on the battlefield. The Confederates, who attacked the Union battle lines, lost 532 killed, 2,641 wounded, and 228 missing (3,401 total). Federal losses were just as . . . — — Map (db m46421) HM
Used by Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg as headquarters during the Battle of Perryville, Oct. 8, 1862. Crawford Spring, back of the house, furnished vital water supply to CSA troops on the drought stricken battlefield. — — Map (db m46248) HM
In 1862, the ravine in front of you was planted in corn, the fields recently cut and harvested. Here, on this ridge, the Union soldiers established a strong defensive position. Two brigades and six cannon awaited the Confederate attack.
With a . . . — — Map (db m46485) HM
Union Brigadier General William Terrill was nearly panic-stricken. To his surprise, thousands of Confederates swarmed over the fields in front of you, moving toward the Federal lines. The shouts of attacking Southern troops and the crescendo of . . . — — Map (db m46470) HM
As Maney’s Confederates reached the top of this hill they watched the fleeing Union soldiers retreat into the valley in front of you. The Southerners had lost hundreds of men killed and wounded during the fight to take this ridge, and their hearts . . . — — Map (db m46471) HM
During the Battle of Perryville, the Dixville Crossroads, the intersection in front of you, was a crucial tactical point on the battlefield.
Here, the Benton Road (now called Whites Road), which runs to Dixville in Mercer County, intersects the . . . — — Map (db m46492) HM
When Donelson’s shattered regiments reached this position, nearly half of his men had been killed and wounded. Despite the appalling casualties, the Confederate attack continued to the west.
With Donelson’s 16th Tennessee Infantry Regiment . . . — — Map (db m46480) HM
When Donelson’s brigade moved into this valley, they were met with a deadly surprise. The rolling terrain had prevented the Confederates from seeing all of the Union troop positions. When the Confederates reached this valley, they became trapped in . . . — — Map (db m46481) HM
Confederate Brigadier General Daniel Donelson had been given great responsibility. His brigade was to open the Confederate attack by assaulting the northern end of the Union defensive line. Once Donelson’s brigade moved forward, other Southern . . . — — Map (db m46430) HM
The area around this cave was the site of Perryville’s original settlement, Harbison’s Station. Named for its founder, James Harbison, the station was settled in the 1770s. Harbison and the group of Virginians traveling with him chose this location . . . — — Map (db m46419) HM
The Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteers, commanded by Maj. Joshua Winters, here suffered 113 casualties of 325 engaged. The Seventy-fifth Illinois, Lieut. Col. John E. Bennett, lost 225 of 700. Serving with Col. Michael Gooding's Thirteenth Brigade, the . . . — — Map (db m46356) HM
The Battle of Perryville
In the summer of 1862, Confederate General Braxton Bragg’s Army of the Mississippi invaded Kentucky. Bragg hoped to enlist recruits, pull Union troops out of Tennessee, and hold Kentucky for the Confederacy. With . . . — — Map (db m46422) HM
Bivouac for Confederate troops on Oct. 7, 1862, night before Battle of Perryville. Karricks ordered to vacate home the next day. Day after the battle they returned to survey damage, found little done. . . . — — Map (db m46396) HM
Confederate Brigadier General George Maney was growing concerned. On the hill to your front, eight Union cannon blasted away, killing and wounding dozens of Southern soldiers. Maney knew that his brigade had to take the hill and quickly silence . . . — — Map (db m46467) HM
Originally known as Main St., the town's historic commercial center renamed Buell St. to honor Union general D.C. Buell. Now called Merchants' Row, most buildings built 1830-40. Temperance leader Carrie . . . — — Map (db m46399) HM
Among the 61,000 Union soldiers who at the Battle of Perryville ended Confederate attempts to gain control of Kentucky were six Michigan units. The most heavily engaged of these were Coldwater’s Loomis Battery (Battery A of the . . . — — Map (db m46357) HM
In mid-1862, President Abraham Lincoln wrestled with the idea of issuing the Emancipation Proclamation. With Confederate armies pressing into Maryland and Kentucky, Lincoln realized that he could not issue the Proclamation until the Union secured a . . . — — Map (db m46363) HM
Established as Harberson's Fort before 1783 by James Harberson, Thomas Walker, Daniel Ewing and others at the crossroads of Danville-Louisville and Harrodsburg-Nashville routes. Town laid out by Edward Bullock and William Hall, 1815, named for . . . — — Map (db m46400) HM
Nor braver bled for a brighter land, no brighter land had a cause so grand.
On flames eternal camping ground their tents are spread. And glory guards with solemn round . . . — — Map (db m68664) WM
As the Union and Confederate armies deployed around Perryville on October 7 and 8, the city’s inhabitants found themselves caught in the middle. Many residents fled the town in haste, taking whatever belongings they could collect. Other civilians . . . — — Map (db m46417) HM
On the knoll, it was a key position on the Union left flank under Maj. Gen. McCook in Battle of Perryville, Oct. 8, 1862. The scene of desperate fighting, it changed hands twice and was hit many times. After the battle it was used as a hospital. — — Map (db m46355) HM
As fighting raged, Union soldiers in Brigadier General William Terrill’s brigade were driven from the ridge and the split rail fence in front of you. Most of these troops had never been in combat. This inexperience sometimes led men and officers to . . . — — Map (db m46484) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
Sgt. Harris B. Cope
16th Tennessee Infantry
who fell in the fields ahead
October 8, 1862
The brigade of Brig. Gen. Daniel S. Donelson . . . — — Map (db m46420) HM
The six guns of Union Captain Peter Simonson’s 5th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery were posted on this ridge. These Hoosiers had a commanding view of the Confederate advance, and their battery anchored the center of the Union battle line. . . . — — Map (db m46486) HM
Whether a soldier was Union or Confederate in his loyalties during the Civil War, there was not a unified reaction to Abraham Lincoln’s preliminary or official Emancipation Proclamation. The individual reaction varied on either side of this . . . — — Map (db m46364) HM
Their faces and hands begrimed from the smoke of battle, and their ears ringing with the constant ripping of musketry, Starkweather’s shattered brigade retreated to the ridge in front of you. They had saved several cannon, pushing them back to a new . . . — — Map (db m46473) HM
As Union Colonel John Starkweather stood on this hill, watching Terrill’s brigade retreat, he realized the importance of his position. With its twelve cannon, Starkweather’s brigade stood as the only Federal defense between the attacking . . . — — Map (db m46475) HM
The battle opened with great fury. To your left, Donelson's brigade hurled themselves against the Union lines, but their attack momentarily stalled. In the fields to your right, Maney's Confederate brigade also assaulted the Federal position. . . . — — Map (db m46432) HM
Wedged between Donelson’s and Maney’s brigades, Stewart’s Confederates continued their advance. Two Union infantry regiments initially held this area, but Stewart’s attack hurled them back.
There was more work to be done. From the second ridge . . . — — Map (db m46478) HM
On the ridge to your right front and across the paved road fought the 15th Kentucky Infantry (US). The 15th was recruited in the fall of 1861 from northern Kentucky and the Louisville area. At Perryville the regiment (part of Colonel William Lytle’s . . . — — Map (db m46490) HM
The Battle of Perryville was fought on October 8, 1862. It was the climax of a campaign that lasted almost two months and affected the entire state of Kentucky. The campaign started when Edmund Kirby Smith’s Confederate army entered Kentucky on . . . — — Map (db m46372) HM
The area that became Perryville was first settled between 1776 and 1780 by a group of Virginians led by James Harbison. The settlement became known as Harbison’s Station, and a stockade was built around a cave that exists today behind 403 South . . . — — Map (db m46415) HM
During the Battle of Perryville, a field of ten-foot high cornstalks, brown and dry from a severe drought, covered this valley. Obscured among the corn, 800 members of the 21st Wisconsin Infantry Regiment waited. In the army for less than a month, . . . — — Map (db m46472) HM
In 1860, a forty-three year-old farmer named John Dye lived here with his wife, Elizabeth, their four children, and six slaves. The 120-acre farm produced hay, corn, and wheat, and the family also had a few cows, horses, and mules.
Two years . . . — — Map (db m46405) HM
When General Maney’s Confederates attacked the Union left flank, located on the ridge in front of you, a Confederate artillery battery commanded by Lieutenant William Turner took position here. To support Maney’s advance, Tuner’s four cannon rained . . . — — Map (db m46468) HM
The National Road and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad came together at this spot in 1842 at Cumberland’s first railroad station. For a few years, it was necessary for passengers and freight to transfer from railroad cars to coach and wagon for the . . . — — Map (db m81402) HM
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, . . . — — Map (db m81416) HM
Along the banks of the Chowan River and Salmon Creek, the seeds were planted for the colony and state of North Carolina. From these roots in the 1600s emerged the refined plantation life of the ruling colonial gentry in the 1700s, made possible by . . . — — Map (db m56927) HM
In the days before electricity and refrigerators, many people built a kind of half-basement under a home or shed called a “root cellar” to store food.
The natural insulation of the ground lets root cellars maintain a fairly constant . . . — — Map (db m60732) HM
To disrupt Confederate recruiting efforts here in Windsor, the Bertie County seat, three Federal transports steamed from Plymouth on the night of January 29, 1864, under U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Charles W Flusser. USS Whitehead and USS . . . — — Map (db m60627) HM
William Gray in 1776 set aside 100 acres at Gray’s Landing for establishing a town. 18th century travelers would have disembarked from sailing vessels docked at the foot of King Street at the old Gray’s Landing site. Visitors to Windsor today, . . . — — Map (db m60629) HM
Created by an act of Colonial Assembly in 1768, New Windsor was established on the site known as Gray’s Landing. A part of grants to the Lords Proprietors, 2800 acres on the Cashie River were sold in 1717 by John Lord Carteret, Earl of Granville to . . . — — Map (db m60630) HM
These graves were discovered during site preparation for Roanoke/Cashie River Center.
They were overgrown with vines and shrubs, and had not been tended in many years.
One grave dates to 1884. No date is found on the other headstone. . . . — — Map (db m60733) HM
Acting on orders from General Robert E. Lee in the winter of 1863-64, Confederate forces under the command of Major General George E. Pickett were deployed throughout eastern North Carolina preparatory to as an attempt at clearing the enemy from the . . . — — Map (db m60628) HM
This brick vault was once housed in the depot of the Wellington and Powell Railroad.
The W&P ran between Windsor and Ahoskie in the early to mid 1900’s carrying produce and passengers.
There was a hill on the train’s route it often had . . . — — Map (db m60730) HM
The Agricultural Reach of Oak Creek drains the croplands and research farm facilities of OSU. The Department of Animal Science manages these agricultural lands. Pastures are used for seasonal grazing and production of hay and . . . — — Map (db m108388) HM
A watershed is an area of land from which water drains and ﬂows into a river and its tributaries. Small watersheds, such as Oak Creek’s, become part of larger watersheds when their streams converge. Thus, Oak Creek‘s . . . — — Map (db m108389) HM
On October 27, 1868, the small institution of higher education known as Corvallis College was granted a charter by Oregon's legislative assembly designating it as the state's land grant institution under the provisions of the federal 1862 Morrill . . . — — Map (db m108382) HM
This portion of the Oak Creek watershed is managed as a working agricultural laboratory. Agricultural users include the OSU Dairy Center, beef and sheep production barns, and the Veterinary Medicine Research Farm . . . — — Map (db m108387) HM
El Presidente Benito Juárez encabezó la Reforma que consolidó el México moderno, defendió la soberanía nacional contra la intervención extranjera e impulsó el desarrollo económico del país.
As one of the creators of modern Mexico, President . . . — — Map (db m82940) HM
Construction of Bolivar Hall was begun in 1940 and completed in 1941. The combination library, museum, and community center was dedicated to the promotion of inter-American peace, and was named in honor of South American patriot, Simon Bolivar. . . . — — Map (db m82915) HM
Otto Bombach, a carpenter, built this combination house and store in 1856 before moving to Mexico. His wife lived here and managed the property until it was sold in 1869. Victor Bracht, author of Texas in 1848, lived here briefly, and in . . . — — Map (db m82888) HM
Margarita Pérez de Rodríguez, consort of Compañía de Béxar soldier Jose Antonio Rodríguez, was given this land "in satisfaction of her constitutional allowance." She sold the property in 1851 to San Antonio postmaster John Bowen, who conveyed it to . . . — — Map (db m82896) HM
The 20th anniversary of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) signing ceremony which occurred in this place on October 7, 1992 between the countries of Canada, Mexico, and the United States of America. From left to right (standing) . . . — — Map (db m82883) HM
José Amador was given this property by the Spanish Government in 1817. His heirs sold it to P.L. Buquor in 1847. Later that year, James Gray bought the land and built this house, which he sold to French consul Francois Guilbeau in 1853. Another . . . — — Map (db m82893) HM
Mayer Halff (1836-1905) immigrated to Texas from Lauterborg, Alsace Lorraine, France, in 1850. In partnership with his brother Solomon, he opened a mercantile business in Liberty and began a cattle ranching enterprise. They moved to San Antonio in . . . — — Map (db m82808) HM
The Curbier Family, which was granted land in La Villita after the 1819 flood, sold this property in 1854 to Rafael Herrera, husband of their daughter Vicenta. Herrera built this house and owned it until 1897. The property, which extended back to . . . — — Map (db m82900) HM
Juana Francisca Montes de Flores inherited this property from her husband, Jose Leonardo de la Garza, and sold it to Ernest Hessler in 1869. Hessler built this house before 1873, when it appears on the city map. He never lived here, and in 1891 sold . . . — — Map (db m82912) HM
Like 208 South Presa, which it resembles, this house was probably built shortly after 1869 on land purchased by Ernest Hessler from Juana Francisca Montes de Flores. The structure, which appears on the 1873 city map, was rented when Louis Foutrel . . . — — Map (db m82913) HM
Great early San Antonio leader, a native of North Carolina. Moved to Illinois, then to Missouri, where he was sheriff of Rawls County in 1824. Came to Texas with Green DeWitt in 1826 and settled at Gonzales.
Smith moved to San Antonio in 1828 . . . — — Map (db m82880) HM
As early as 1877, this land was the site of an adobe residence where Mrs. Kate Womble operated a boarding house popular among travelers to San Antonio. The house appeared on the 1873 city map. The Sanborn Insurance maps show it as late as 1904. The . . . — — Map (db m82910) HM
La Villita, “The Little Village”, settled about 1722 as “The Town of the Alamo". Here General Martin de Perfecto Cos signed the Articles of Capitulation to Texians December 11, 1835 and General Santa Anna's artillery battery . . . — — Map (db m82886) HM
Mariano Romano Losana bought this land in 1859, and probably built this house soon afterward. It was purchased by Rafael Lopez in l866 and sold again in 1871, when the deed referred to “the house, out houses, fences and all other . . . — — Map (db m82894) HM
This marker commemorates the 275th anniversary of the naming of the site that became the city of San Antonio.
On the feast of St. Anthony of Padua, June 13, 1691, Padre Damian Massanet, Franciscan missionary and Governor Don Domingo Teran, . . . — — Map (db m82890) HM
Opening at this site in 1898 as "St. Philip's Saturday evening sewing class for black girls", this college was found by the Rt. Rev. James Steptoe Johnston (1843-1924), Episcopal Bishop of western Texas, who considered education a tool toward . . . — — Map (db m82879) HM
St. Philip‘s College was begun in an adobe house just north of this building in 1898. Originally a parochial day school, it grew into a grammar and industrial school with a boarding department. This two-story brick building was constructed by the . . . — — Map (db m82898) HM
This house appears on the 1873 city map and was probably built by José and Refugia Durán Tejada, who bought the land in 1855 from Concepción Ruiz. Ernest Hessler, who already owned the two houses to the west on Presa Street, bought the property in . . . — — Map (db m82911) HM
Colonel Jeremiah Y. Dashiell, a physician who served as paymaster in the U.S.-Mexico War, bought this land on the San Antonio River in 1849. Dashiell was stationed in South Carolina in 1856, when he sent his wife and daughter money and instructions . . . — — Map (db m82892) HM
Erected as a school for children of German settlers, these historic buildings have served numerous educational and cultural purposes:
1858 – German–English school founded by "The Lateiner”, a group of German intellectuals. . . . — — Map (db m82882) HM
This property was the site of a small caliche house that stood at 105 Nacional Street. Because of its poor condition, the house was demolished during the restoration of La Villita in 1939. The property had been owned by José Maria Monjaras and . . . — — Map (db m82914) HM
who landed at Hunt's Point, Old Plantation Creek, on Easter Sunday 1776 and the same day preached the first Baptist sermon, “At the End of a Horsing Tree.” Opposition of the established church caused him to be deported; but kind . . . — — Map (db m71852) HM
The Occohannock Indians, one of the important Virginia Indian groups on the Eastern Shore, were composed of several tribes including the Onancock, Machipongo, Metomkin, Chincoteague, Kegotank, Pungoteague, Chesconessex, and Nandua. Capt. John Smith . . . — — Map (db m71855) HM
At the south end of Main Ridge, the road becomes Banny's Road, which once led to Banty's Wharf. Banty's Wharf was named for Capt. John L. "Banty" who lived here with his wife, Mrs. Ellen Elizabeth Shores. For over 200 years the island's primary . . . — — Map (db m106987) HM
At the end of Chambers Lane in an area once known as Chambers Wharf, site of the John Chambers Store. Lorraine's Sandwich Shop now occupies the site of the first Post Office, built in 1891.
The homes at 4411 and 4413 Chambers Lane were moved . . . — — Map (db m107002) HM
Peter Williams owned and operated the first store on this site. It was built by Charles Roland Parks and William Walters in the 1920's. It later operated as the Smith and Moore Market and was one of the first businesses to take credit cards when . . . — — Map (db m107006) HM
Fisherman's Corner Restaurant was featured in Southern Living Magazine (May, 2005) and is renowned for superb stuffed shrimp, irresistible crab bisque, and soft shell crab tidbits.
The owners, Irene Eskridge and Mary Stuart Parks rely on . . . — — Map (db m107004) HM
Many people ask about the gravestones in front yards. While not unique to Tangier Island and seen throughout the Eastern Shore of Virginia, these are more obvious on such a small island. A number of reasons have been given for these burial sites: . . . — — Map (db m106973) HM
John Wallace (1855-1926) moved to Tangier in the 1870's. The J.E. Wallace & Co. Store was on the corner of Wallace Road and West Ridge, facing Wallace Road. It sold groceries, general merchandise, and coffins, as Wallace also worked as an . . . — — Map (db m106992) HM
The Joshua Thomas House is long gone, replaced by the modern, chalet style house at the end of the lane. Joshua Thomas, the renowned "Parson of the Islands," lived here from 1799 until about 1825.
The Tangier Town Hall is a former US Navy . . . — — Map (db m106998) HM
Long Bridge, formerly called Mooney's Bridge, leads over the Main or Big Gut back to the section of Tangier known as "Meat Soup."
The house at the end of the bridge was the home of Norris Angle, who operated the Ambulance Boat. An airplane . . . — — Map (db m107001) HM
The New Testament Congregation was dedicated on Easter Sunday, 1957, and occupies the same site used for the Chautauqua tent in the 1920's.
The New Testament Mission House was once the home of teacher Alfred Benson (1893-1963) who taught at the . . . — — Map (db m106975) HM
Factory Road was originally named New Road. It is said to have been built by Henry Frazier, a Black man, by hand, around the time of the Civil War. In 1919, George Lawson of Crisfield, MD in association with the Kegan, Grace & W. Shirt Makers Guild . . . — — Map (db m106988) HM
Owner Milton Parks has provided warm hospitality to boaters for decades. His marina serves local watermen, commercial and recreational boat traffic.
Milton Parks on his scooter - Kaye, 2005
Oyster Buy Boats at Park's . . . — — Map (db m106963) HM
The new house on the corner of Garman Road and Main Ridge is the site of the former Peter S. Crockett Store, later Daughtery & Ward, and then Haynie Grocery.
It had a two-story front porch and was featured in many old photographs. . . . — — Map (db m106972) HM
Spanky's Place, now an ice cream parlor with a 50's theme, is one of many businesses to occupy this site. These include Michael Thomas's store that sold stoves and propane, Jolly Jim's Restaurant, Nice's Place, and the Roadside Restaurant. It was . . . — — Map (db m106966) HM
This is the site of the former Lewis Crockett Store. It is also the site where in 1936, the Goodyear Blimp arrived with provisions to feed the islanders, who had been frozen in for over two months during a record freeze.
The Visitors Center and . . . — — Map (db m106969) HM
In honor of the men and
women of Tangier Island who
faithfully served their
country in World Wars I and II
World War I
*Crockett, William L. *Crockett, Tubman
World War II
*Charnock, Ray H. *Crockett, Charles A. Jr. *Crockett, . . . — — Map (db m107033) WM
The Tangier Volunteer Fire Department was established in 1964 and moved to this location in 1983.
Fire is especially dangerous on a small island. where wooden houses are close together, allowing fire to spread quickly, especially when fanned by . . . — — Map (db m106986) HM
The Amanda Wallace Pruitt House was also the home of Reverend James C. Richardson after his resignation from the Methodist church.
He founded the New Testament Church, which met here from 1948-1956. Services were held in the living room and . . . — — Map (db m106996) HM
The Edward Crockett House was formerly the home of "Sugar Tom" Crockett (1833-1905) the Island's first historian, and author of Facts & Fun, the first written history of Tangier Island. It later served as a hotel and the office of Dr. W.O. . . . — — Map (db m106967) HM
The John Thomas House marks the dividing line between the old Thomas and Wallace family lands.
At the end of the 19th century, these two families owned almost all of the land on the western side of the island. — — Map (db m106991) HM
The Joshua Pruitt House is one of the oldest on Tangier.
Joshua Pruitt (1866-1949) and his wife Amanda took in boarders, teachers, and held worship services in their front yard.
Pruitt traveled to Washington, DC, during the Great . . . — — Map (db m106968) HM
Miss Minnie and Capt. Charlie raised eight children in this house. In order to accommodate the entire family at a single table, Capt. Charlie commissioned Henry Jander to build them a table capable of seating ten people. Later, one son, Orville, and . . . — — Map (db m106989) HM
Patrick Benson, a ship's captain from Dublin, Ireland, purchased this land in 1879. The middle section of house was completed in 1889. The front section with porch and back section with kitchen and outbuilding were added over the years, but . . . — — Map (db m106977) HM
The Sydney Wallace House is one of the Island's most admired. Built in 1904 and restored in 1995 by Wallace's grandson, it now operates as the Bay View Inn.
Sydney Wallace House - National Geographic, 1973 — — Map (db m106993) HM
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — — Map (db m106961) HM
Villages such as Advance Mills were once common features of rural Virginia, serving as economic and social centers. Advance Mills grew around a single mill that John Fray constructed in 1833 on the north fork of the Rivanna River. By the twentieth . . . — — Map (db m55785) HM
In Jan. 1779, during the American Revolution, 4,000 British troops and German mercenaries (commonly known as “Hessians”) captured following the Battle of Saratoga in New York arrived here after marching from Massachusetts. It was called . . . — — Map (db m55784) HM
When the first train arrived in Jackson's River Station July 10th, 1857, the western terminus of the Virginia Central consisted of little more than a refueling station for wood-burning steam engines and a station house for employees and . . . — — Map (db m107983) HM
In December 1863, Union Gen. William W. Averell’s 2,500 cavalrymen raided Salem, Virginia, to disrupt the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad supply line to Confederate Gen. James Longstreet, who was besieging Knoxville, Tennessee. After the raid, . . . — — Map (db m107979) HM
Humpback Bridge constructed of hand hewn timbers in 1835 for the James River Kanawha Turnpike Corporation remained in public use until 1929.
In 1953, through the efforts of the Covington Business and Professional Women's Club, the Chamber of . . . — — Map (db m46388) HM
West Virginia was long a part of Virginia. Morgan Morgan began the settlement of the region in 1727. A great battle with the Indians took place at Point Pleasant in 1774. West Virginia became a separate . . . — — Map (db m46376) HM
Australia Furnace, located just east of here, produced pig iron for the Tredegar Iron Works—“Ironmaker to the Confederacy”—during the Civil War. Ira and Edwin Jordan had begun constructing Australia Furnace in 1852; two years . . . — — Map (db m107981) HM
This furnace was built in 1827 by ironmasters John Jordan and John Irvine and was named for their wives. During the Civil War, iron produced here was used in the manufacture of Confederate Munitions. — — Map (db m46386) HM
You are standing near the site of the Lucy Selina Furnace, which supplied the Confederacy with pig iron for the production of cannons, munitions, and rails during the Civil War. In 1827, two Scots-Irishmen, Col. John Jordan and John Irvine, built . . . — — Map (db m107982) HM
During the Civil War, the Jackson River Depot was located here. It marked the western terminus of the Virginia Central Railroad, which extended 200 miles from Hanover Junction north of Richmond. Located just east of the Kanawha Pass of the Allegheny . . . — — Map (db m107980) HM
First called the Church by the Spring, Oakland Grove Church may have been organized as early as 1834, but it was officially established circa 1847 as a mission of Covington Presbyterian Church. A simple brick house of worship constructed during a . . . — — Map (db m46377) HM
In continuous use as a place of worship except for a period between 1861 and 1865 when it was used as a hospital for a contingent of General T.J. (Stonewall) Jackson's troops encamped nearby.
A monument in the churchyard marks the graves of . . . — — Map (db m46379) HM
William Henry Haynes, Sr. donated land for the Oakland Church and cemetery in 1811 to trustees James M. Montague, John P. Haynes, David Williamson and William H. Haynes, Jr. But the deed was not recorded until 1859. The original structure is said to . . . — — Map (db m46378) HM
Jackson River Station
Around 1857, the Virginia Central Railroad completed the Jackson River Depot and was the terminus of the railroad for trains and travelers heading west. Travelers had to continue their travels by horseback or . . . — — Map (db m46385) HM
General Lee ordered all columns of his army from the Richmond and Petersburg trenches to rendezvous at this village on the Richmond & Danville Railroad. Here he hoped to obtain rations before continuing the march to North Carolina to join General . . . — — Map (db m18871) HM
Father John Bannister Tabb was born in Amelia County in 1845 at “The Forest”, the Tabb family plantation. A member of one of wealthiest families in Virginia, he was carefully schooled by private tutors until the age of . . . — — Map (db m35959) HM
This mortar belonged to the battery cammanded by Captain J.N. Lamkin. On July 30, 1864, at the “Crater”, the battery helped check the Union advance until Mahone came up. Four mortars were captured near Flat Creek in Lee’s Retreat, April . . . — — Map (db m18873) HM
Lee's army, retreating toward Danville, reached this place, April 4-5, 1865, only to find that the supplies ordered here had gone on to Richmond. The famished soldiers were forced to halt to forage. The result was that Lee, when he resumed the march . . . — — Map (db m18874) HM
Born Mary Virginia Hawes at Dennisville about eight miles south, Harland was a prolific author, producing a syndicated newspaper column for women, many short stories, 25 novels, 25 volumes on domestic life, and 12 books on travel, biography, and . . . — — Map (db m19029) HM
Amelia County is largely indebted to one woman for bringing formal education and religion to African Americans after the Civil War. In 1865 Mrs. Samantha Jane Neil left her home in Pennsylvania to search for her husband’s body. He had been a . . . — — Map (db m20239) HM
Russell Grove Presbyterian Church and the Russell Grove School were established as a result of the efforts of Mrs. Samantha Jane Neil, a Presbyterian missionary and teacher of African-American children after the Civil War. At first the school . . . — — Map (db m28927) HM
Noted lawyer and statesman William Branch Giles was born 12 Aug. 1762 in Amelia County and educated at Hampden-Sydney College, Princeton, and the College of William and Mary. Giles served Virginia in the United States House of Representatives . . . — — Map (db m19039) HM
A portion of the Union army encountered Lee’s rearguard as the Southerners completed their night march around Grant's troops. This was also the scene of an April 5 engagement as Union cavalry returned from destroying a Confederate wagon train at . . . — — Map (db m28833) HM
Union cavalry under Gen. Henry E. Davies, Jr. left Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s column near Jetersville on April 5, 1865, on a reconnaissance mission against the Army of Northern Virginia. Davies swept by here, rode through Paineville, and four Miles . . . — — Map (db m28834) HM
During this day, the entire Confederate line would march west on the Rice-Deatonville Road toward Farmville. Constantly pressing Lee's rearguard, Union troops would fight a brief action at every turn. These delays would eventually lead to the Battle . . . — — Map (db m28836) HM
Lee found Union cavalry and infantry across his line of retreat at this station on the Richmond and Danville Railroad. Rather than attacking the entrenched Federals, he chose to change direction and begin a night march toward Farmville where rations . . . — — Map (db m18886) HM
"The men pressed forward, holding their fire with wonderful self control till they were in plain site of the enemy almost face to face."
As the Federal troops realigned themselves after the creek crossing, and because of the shorter . . . — — Map (db m54473) HM
"We found a stream of muddy water a dozen feet wide..."
“The colonel’s clear voice sounded ‘ATTENTION’....Descending the hill; ‘Prepare to cross a marsh!’ was passed along the line....Three or four minutes later we found ourselves . . . — — Map (db m54474) HM
"There goes a chivalrous fellow. Let's give him three cheers."
Near this site were positioned Confederate forces commanded by General Joseph B. Kershaw. They were mainly from Mississippi and Georgia and were slightly dug in behind . . . — — Map (db m54471) HM
The 18th Georgia Battalion, acting as a heavy artillery unit was originally formed in 1802 and served at the coastal defenses around Charleston, South Carolina. Moved to Virginia in May of 1864, it guarded the Richmond & Danville Railroad Bridge . . . — — Map (db m54475) HM
Area 371 Square Miles
Formed in 1734 from Prince George and Brunswick, and named for Princess Amelia, daughter of King George II. William B. Giles, Governor of Virginia 1827-30, lived in this county. . . . — — Map (db m18924) HM
1861 - 1865
To the memory of
The Sons of Amherst County
who from 1861 to 1865
upheld in arms the cause
of Virginia and the South,
who fell in battle
or died from wounds,
and survivors of the war
who as . . . — — Map (db m67324) WM
Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Norther Virginia began the retreat west from Richmond and Petersburg on April 3, 1865, with about 250 cannon. Two days later, at Amelia Court House, about a hundred of the least effective pieces were culled . . . — — Map (db m84749) HM
Union Col. Henry Capehart commanded Gen. George A. Custer’s Third Cavalry Brigade on Custer’s left ﬂank. On April 8, 1865, Capehart had only the 1st New York (Lincoln) an 1st and 2nd West Virginia regiments on hand, the 3rd West Virginia had . . . — — Map (db m84751) HM
At the McLean house at Appomattox, two miles north, took place the meeting between Lee and Grant to arrange terms for the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia. This was at 1:30 P.M. on Sunday, April 9, 1865. — — Map (db m34478) HM
Two miles north, at sunrise of April 9, 1865, Fitz Lee and Gordon, moving westward, attacked Sheridan's position. The attack was repulsed, but a part of the Confederate cavalry under Munford and Rosser broke through the Union line and escaped. This . . . — — Map (db m34477) HM
One of the last battles of the Civil War in Virginia took place here early in the evening of April 8, 1865. Confederate Gen. Reuben L. Walker, who commanded 100 guns of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s reserve artillery, made camp here late in the afternoon. . . . — — Map (db m84750) HM
Prior to midnight on April 8, 1865, with Federal troops closing in on three sides and the line of retreat along the Richmond-Lynchburg Stage Road blocked, General R. E. Lee held a Council of War with his ranking generals to discuss . . . — — Map (db m84563) HM
Confederate Infantry deployed along this road on the morning of April 9, 1865 prior to the Battle of Appomattox Court House. The battle fought near here would be the last for the Army of Northern Virginia. — — Map (db m84564) HM
Appomattox County was named for the Appomattox River, which runs through the county. The river is named for the Appamattuck tribe, which lived near the mouth of the river. The county was formed from parts of Buckingham, . . . — — Map (db m74018) HM
This church, seven and a half miles west, was organized by John Blair in 1746. Five successive church buildings have been erected. The first pastor was John Brown. Samuel Brown, second pastor, had as wife Mary Moore, captured in youth by Indians and . . . — — Map (db m32081) HM
Two miles west. The first church was built by Colonel Robert Doak in 1779. Captain James Tate, an elder, led in the battles of Cowpens and Guilford Courthouse (1781) a company drawn mainly from this church. In the churchyard 23 Revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m32104) HM
Five miles west is the birthplace of Virginia Institute, founded in 1842 by David F. Bittle, assisted by Christopher C. Baughman. Chartered on January 30, 1845, as Virginia Collegiate Institute, the school was moved to Salem, Virginia, in 1847, and . . . — — Map (db m32079) HM
John Colter, born in Stuart's Draft about 1775, was a member of the northwest expedition led by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark (1804-1806). During his subsequent, solitary explorations of the West, Colter traversed the area now comprising . . . — — Map (db m46393) HM
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — — Map (db m42844) HM
On the evening of June 15, 1864, the lead element of Union Gen. David Hunter’s 18,000-man army arrived here and cam near Avenel. The main force arrived the following morning and started destroying the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad tracks, burning . . . — — Map (db m41408) HM
This place became the county seat of Bedford when it was moved from New London in 1782. First called Liberty (incorporated in 1839), the town changed its name to Bedford City in 1890 and to Bedford in 1912. A third courthouse, built in 1834, was . . . — — Map (db m42879) HM
To the Confederate
Soldiers and Sailors of
Bedford County. 1861-1865
Bedford honors her heroes;
proudly rejoicing with the living;
sincerely mourning the dead.
Their history is it's brightest page,
exhibiting the . . . — — Map (db m43042) HM
June 6 1944
Erected by the Parker-Hoback Post, 29th Division Association, in memory of the Bedford County men of the 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division, who gave their lives in the preparation for and the participation in the Normandy . . . — — Map (db m52054) HM
Oct. 10, 1774
In memory of
Bedford’s Volunteer Company
which fought in
The Battle of Point Pleasant
Thomas Buford, Captain
Thomas Dooley, Lieut.
Jonathan Cundiff, Ensign
Nicholas Mead • William Kennedy • John . . . — — Map (db m43717) HM
Here is the home of John Goode, political leader, born 1829, died, 1909. Goode was a member of the secession convention of 1861; of the Confederate Congress and of the United States Congress; Solicitor General of the United States; president of the . . . — — Map (db m42877) HM
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — — Map (db m55780) HM
Randolph-Macon Academy, a Methodist preparatory school for boys, occupied a building on this site from 1890 until 1934 when the school was consolidated with the Randolph-Macon Academy at Front Royal. In 1936, the property was purchased by Bedford . . . — — Map (db m42878) HM
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — — Map (db m55782) HM
Chartered by the state in 1795, this is the oldest secondary school in Virginia in continuous operation under its own charter. Conducted for many years as a private school for boys, it began to receive public funds in 1884. It now operates as a . . . — — Map (db m55789) HM
Half a mile north is St. Stephen's Church, built about 1825 under Rev. Nicholas Cobb, later Bishop of Alabama. In the old cemetery here many members of early families of the community are buried. — — Map (db m42894) HM
Near here stood a fortified dwelling used for shelter during periods of warfare between European colonists and Native Americans. To this fort in 1756 came Mary Draper Ingles (Mrs. William Ingles) for protection following her escape from captivity by . . . — — Map (db m42851) HM
On 2 July 1889, a heavy storm turned nearby Wolf Creek into a raging river. The railroad embankment known as Newman’s Fill, just north of here, became saturated. About 1:25 AM, it collapsed under the weight of Norfolk & Western Passenger Train . . . — — Map (db m84781) HM
Buchanan, Virginia is the western terminus of the James River & Kanawha Canal. Considered one of Virginia’s most remarkable engineering feats ever attempted, the Canal’s beginnings stretch back to 1785, when George Washington appeared before the . . . — — Map (db m55794) HM
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — — Map (db m55777) HM
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — — Map (db m55779) HM
On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — — Map (db m55775) HM
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — — Map (db m20168) HM
Nearby to the south stood Fort Christanna, a wooden structure built in 1714 under the auspices of Alexander Spotswood and the Virginia Indian Company. Members of the Meiponsky, Occaneechi, Saponi, Stuckenock, and Tutelo Indian tribes lived within . . . — — Map (db m20181) HM
Here the first courthouse of Brunswick County was built about 1732. In 1746, when the county was divided, the county seat was moved east near Thomasburg. In 1783, after Greensville County had been formed, the courthouse was moved to Lawrenceville. — — Map (db m20180) HM
Southside Virginia Community College has two campuses: the Christanna Campus in Alberta, which opened in 1970, and the John H. Daniel campus in Keysville, which opened in 1971. The college is part of the statewide system of community colleges . . . — — Map (db m30868) HM
A branch of the Nottoway, named for the huge fish once caught in it. William Byrd, returning from the expedition to survey the Virginia-North Carolina boundary line, camped on this stream in November, 1729. — — Map (db m62406) HM
While wooden trestle bridges were numerous in Brunswick County, the Meherrin River Bridge was one of a few truss bridges on the A&D between Pinners Point (at Portsmouth) and Danville. Built in 1893, the 150-feet long, through truss pin-connected . . . — — Map (db m94363) HM
A community of mills, warehouses, homes and stores sprang up with the construction of the Atlantic and Danville Railway in the 1890s. A combination freight and passenger station was located at Brodnax shown here in 1948. Bales of cotton, timber and . . . — — Map (db m94357) HM
Until about 1967, the U.S. Postal Service used the railroads to handle mail on designated routes. The mail was handled in special railroad cars usually moved on passenger trains, designated as Railway Post Office (RPO) cars. The RPOs were actually . . . — — Map (db m94359) HM
The Thoroughbred is a horse breed synonymous with racing. All modem Thoroughbreds trace back to three stallions imported into England from the Middle East in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. English Thoroughbreds were imported into North . . . — — Map (db m94361) HM
Tobacco has long held a sacred and prominent role among the Indian tribes in the southeast. Well before Christopher Columbus returned with tobacco seeds from the Caribbean or Sir Walter Raleigh made smoking fashionable in Europe when he returned . . . — — Map (db m94362) HM
Did you know… A raindrop falling in the Meherrin River Watershed will travel over 200 miles before reaching the Atlantic?!
Watersheds are the collective web of tributaries and surrounding land draining to a common waterbody, such as a major . . . — — Map (db m94364) HM
According to local tradition, while Dr. Creed Haskins and several friends were on a hunting trip in Brunswick County in 1828, his camp cook, Jimmy Matthews, hunted squirrels for a stew. Matthews simmered the squirrels with butter, onions, stale . . . — — Map (db m20188) HM
Though many freed African Americans continued after the Civil War to work the same farms on which they had been slaves, many also left their homes in search of better opportunities elsewhere. Often the sick, elderly and very young were left . . . — — Map (db m30873) HM
Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Princess Charlotte, of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, queen of George III. A small army under the command of rebel Nathaniel Bacon destroyed the town of the Occaneechee . . . — — Map (db m30875) HM
The ordinary that stood on this site catered to travelers on the north-south stage road as early as 1750. During the American Revolution local warehouses were burned by British Colonel Tarleton, and legend says that it was from that occurrence that . . . — — Map (db m20164) HM
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — — Map (db m20171) HM
2960 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2760