Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1580 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1380
 
A World War I Shipyard Transforms Jones Point Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Jones, December 22, 2018
A World War I Shipyard Transforms Jones Point Marker
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — "Preservation Was A Fight!" — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
"St. Clair Wright said many times that Historic Annapolis accomplished more in the eight years I was mayor than in any other period. That makes me feel awfully good." Roger "Pip" Moyer, 2002. Historic preservation in Annapolis . . . — Map (db m114540) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 14cm 3.5 inch Gun
14cm 3.5 inch gun from Spanish armored cruiser Vizcaya Battle off Santiago Cuba July 3 1898 — Map (db m114850) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 159 Main Street
This commercial structure was one of several built between 1908-1913 after a fire destroyed the City Hotel. Merchant James F. Strange had the building constructed during his ownership. The building has remained in the Strange Family and in retail . . . — Map (db m114549) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 64 Franklin Street — Annapolis Emergency Hospital
Annapolitans and county residents visited this site for medical care for nearly a century after the founding of the Annapolis Emergency Hospital in 1902. The hospital first purchased the home of former mayor Edwin Seidewitz, part of which probably . . . — Map (db m114790) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Community Legacy — West Street — The Banneker-Douglass Museum
1984 Banneker-Douglass Museum As the official museum of African-American history and culture for the State of Maryland, the Banneker-Douglass Museum is dedicated to discovering documenting, preserving and promoting . . . — Map (db m114557) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union . . . — Map (db m114568) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Story of Preservation — Market House — Annapolis Historic District
1952 Historic Annapolis Founded The story of historic preservation in Annapolis is one of community involvement. Efforts to protect the historic element of Annapolis extend back to the nineteenth century. In the 1950s and 1960s, . . . — Map (db m114793) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Address by President Lincoln — At the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114674) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alumni Arch
Alumni Arch in honor of Captain William S. Busik and all Naval Academy Alumni, Past, Present, and Future. "Barnacle Bill" was an All-American standout on the Navy Football team until his accelerated graduation . . . — Map (db m127946) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — An Environmental Perspective — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
"Annapolis is an almost perfect example of town/village GOLD Bay Partner." Comment from the presentation to Annapolis as a Gold Medal Community Partner. Environmental Protection Agency, 2007 As a model for . . . — Map (db m114559) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis & The Maryland Signers — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." With these ringing words of resolve, the signers . . . — Map (db m114543) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis Depicted — City Dock — Public Art In Annapolis
2005 Wings and Sails Annapolis has a stunning array of outdoor sculpture, paintings, murals, and other public artwork. Each of these paintings was commissioned by the Art in Public Places Commission. "Wings and Sails" is . . . — Map (db m114800) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis During The Civil War — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
General Butler to Governor Hicks Off Annapolis, April 22, 1861 "Have I your excellency's permission...to land my men, to supply their wants, and to relieve them from the extreme and unhealthy confinement of a transport vessel not fit to . . . — Map (db m114563) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Annapolis National Cemetery
Civil War Annapolis In April 1861, Gen. Benjamin Butler and his Massachusetts troops entered the Maryland capital to ensure the state remained in the Union. The U.S. Army then reformed the Department of Annapolis, headed by Butler, to . . . — Map (db m114566) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 6 — Anne Catharine Green — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This image of Anne Catharine Green pays homage to her as the first woman printer/publisher in the country. Appointed by the Maryland Assembly as the Official Printer of the Province, she printed all public documents and currency of the colony. . . . — Map (db m114789) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Art in Annapolis — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
Annapolis Charter 300, the city wide commemoration in 2008 of the 1708 city charter granted during Queen Anne's reign, was especially rich in inspiring original public art, music and choral work, a ballet suite, films, sculpture, photography, . . . — Map (db m114546) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Bay Workboats
Over the past 400 years, distinctive types of boats were developed for seafood harvesting and shipping on the Bay. Native Americans made the first dugout canoe from a hollowed-out log. The earliest English boat builders, called . . . — Map (db m114883) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Beyond the Bridge — City Dock — The Neighborhood of Eastport
1870 A New Village across Spa Creek The maritime industry and the history of Annapolis are closely intertwined. This connection extends beyond downtown to historic Eastport, the neighborhood located across the Spa Creek Bridge. . . . — Map (db m114799) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Blue Angels
[Plaque near the display:] On the occasion of the 65th anniversary of the founding of the Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, the Blue Angels, this aircraft display is dedicated in memory of all Blue Angels' aircrew lost in team flight . . . — Map (db m127947) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Cap'n Herbie Sadler — The Legacy of an Eastport Waterman
Herbert Edgar Sadler was born to a waterman's family in 1902. He began learning the trade at the age of 12, earning a penny for each fish he cleaned for a local seafood vendor. His experience led to a life's work on the water. Cap'n Sadler . . . — Map (db m114874) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Class of 1956 Memorial Plaza
Given in recognition of all members of the Class of 1956 who served our nation so faithfully in Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force careers; in industry, government, and the professions; and to our wives and families whose continuing support was so . . . — Map (db m127932) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Classes of 1958 and 1959 Memorial Plaza
This plaza was presented by the Classes of 1958 and 1959 in memory of their classmates who gave their lives in the service of their country — Map (db m114855) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Coastal Evolution — Market House — The Shoreline of Annapolis
1878 City Dock in Annapolis In the 1700s, the shore of Annapolis followed approximately along the line of buildings that now front Dock Street, Market Space, and part of Compromise Street—everything closer to the water is . . . — Map (db m114794) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Commodore John Barry
[Top plaque:] Commission Number One United States Navy February 22, 1797: At the Presidential Mansion in Philadelphia, President George Washington formally presented Irish-born John Barry with Commission Number . . . — Map (db m114812) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Commodore John Barry — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
Annapolis' Sister City of Wexford, Ireland, was the boyhood home of John Barry, naval hero of the American Revolution. Barry went to sea as a young boy and advanced to be master of his own vessel. he settled in America and in 1776 joined the . . . — Map (db m114944) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Congress Was Here — West Street — At the End of the Revolution
1784 Peace Treaty Ratified [Image Captions:] •Governor William Paca's Proclamation of the ratification of the Treaty of Paris. Treaty of Paris Broadside Collection [MSA SC 5785] •The last page of the Treaty of Paris, . . . — Map (db m114555) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Dahlgren Rifle 30-Pounder, Invented by Rear Admiral Dahlgren
Dahlgren Rifle 30-Pounder, invented by Rear Admiral Dahlgren used by the Federal Navy during the Civil War A forerunner of the big naval gun of today — Map (db m114820) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Draketail Peg Wallace — Annapolis Maritime Museum
The draketail vessel made its appearance on the waters of the Chesapeake Bay in the early 1900s. The name "draketail" came from the appearance of its stern which resembles the aft end of a duck. The draketail was the first power-driven workboat . . . — Map (db m114872) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Eastport Veterans Park
[Park sign:] Eastport Veterans Park [Dedication plaque:] In memory of those who served in the defense of our country Dedicated May 30 1951 [Plaque embedded in the ground at flagpole:] June . . . — Map (db m114861) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Evoking Our Naval Heritage Past — Sailing Confidently Into The Future
Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium has been called a "Memorial that happens to be a stadium". While visitors and athletes for nearly 50 years have been inspired by the campaigns and battles emblazoned around the stadium facade, much more needed to . . . — Map (db m127935) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Framework of History — Main Street — Maryland Avenue and State Circle
State House Maryland's Capitol Building [Image captions:] •Current Day View of State House from Maryland Avenue •Munroe Family Photo: Francis Street from Main Street Toward the State House c.1890 [MSA SC 535-1-88] . . . — Map (db m114552) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From The Bivouac of the Dead — By Theodore O'Hara
The muffled drum's sad roll has beat The soldier's last tattoo; No more on life's parade shall meet That brave and fallen few. On Fame's eternal camping-ground Their silent tents are spread, And Glory guards, with solemn round, . . . — Map (db m125122) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1608 - Captain John Smith's Chesapeake Voyages — Annapolis Maritime Museum
You're looking out across the mouth of the Severn River where it meets the Chesapeake Bay. In the summer of 1608 Captain John Smith sailed within sight of this spot four times during his "voyages of discovery" up and down the Chesapeake Bay. His . . . — Map (db m114871) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1672 - Providence: Settlement on the Severn — Annapolis Maritime Museum
The first English settlers were a group of Puritans who established Providence, a settlement at the mouth of the Severn River, in 1649. The Puritans probably used Captain John Smith's Bay map to navigate here from Virginia. Their settlement was not . . . — Map (db m114869) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1774 - The "Annapolis Tea Party" — Annapolis Maritime Museum
The brigantine Peggy Stewart, named after the daughter of the owner, Annapolis merchant Anthony Stewart, sailed by here on her return from England on October 14, 1774. Like other Maryland merchants, Stewart had agreed not to import tea in . . . — Map (db m114868) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1887 - The Age of Steam — Annapolis Maritime Museum
Robert Fulton launched the first commercially viable steamboat on the Hudson River in 1807, although a Marylander named James Rumsey demonstrated a working steamboat on the Potomac River as early as 1784. Steamboats started running on the . . . — Map (db m114867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1919 - Oysters: The Bay's "White Gold" — Annapolis Maritime Museum
At the turn of the 20th century, eight or more oyster houses surrounded Annapolis City Dock and harbor. Oysters were shucked, packed and shipped all around the country by steamboat and railroad. The market for "Chesapeake white gold" was so . . . — Map (db m114866) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — From this spot, you can see 1998 - Annapolis: America's Sailing Capital — Annapolis Maritime Museum
In the 20th century, overharvesting, disease, pollution and the dramatic growth of the Bay region's human population led to the decline in commercial fishing for oysters, crabs and other seafood species. As a result, the number of wooden boats . . . — Map (db m114865) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — George Washington's Resignation — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
"Having now finished the work assigned me, I retire from the great theatre of action." After the 1781 victory at Yorktown, some Americans thought the triumphant General George Washington should be crowned the new nation's first king. . . . — Map (db m114542) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Gold Star Families Monument
[Front:] Gold Star Families Memorial Monument A tribute to Gold Star Mothers, Fathers, and Relatives who sacrificed a Loved One for our Freedom. [Back of Monument:] "To Recognize The . . . — Map (db m127928) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Gov. Francis Nicholson — 1694-1994
Francis Street is named for Sir Francis Nicholson (1655-1728), royal governor of Maryland, who served from 1694 to 1698. When the capital of the colony moved from St. Mary's City to Annapolis, Nicholson devised the city's baroque plan featuring two . . . — Map (db m114797) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 2 — Greg Harlin's John Paul Jones's Ranger
Greg Harlin's magnificent historical painting honors the maritime and military heritage of Annapolis and it's significant role in our modern day liberties. The artwork features one of American history's legendary frigates, the Ranger . . . — Map (db m125120) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Hammond-Harwood House — Maryland Ave. at King George St. — Annapolis
Built 1774 by Matthias Hammond, local patriot Designed by William Buckland, Colonial Architect 18th Century furnishings One of America's famous houses Open to the public — Map (db m127929) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Harvesting the Bay
Methods of harvesting oysters and crabs on the Chesapeake Bay have changed very little over the years. The internal combustion engine, invented at the end of the 19th century, eventually displaced sails on workboats. The addition of . . . — Map (db m114885) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — History of Our Maryland Flag
Design The black and gold design on the flag is the coat of arms from the Calvert line. It was granted to George Calvert as a reward for his storming a fortification during a battle. The red and white sides of the cross alternating. . . . — Map (db m114857) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Jack Stephens Field
This field is named in honor of Jackson Thomas Stephens, an outstanding graduate of the United States Naval Academy Class of 1947. Also honored for distinguished service are: James Earl Carter '47 Submariner and 39th . . . — Map (db m127945) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Leahy Hall — Named in Honor of Fleet Admiral William Danial Leahy United States Navy — (6 May 1875 - 20 July 1959)
Class of 1897, United States Naval Academy USS Oregon, Battle of Santiago, 3 July 1898 Chief, Bureau of Ordnance, 1927-1931 Commander, Destroyers, Scouting Force, 1931-1933 Chief, Bureau of Navigation, 1933-1935 Vice Admiral, . . . — Map (db m114852) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Liberty Tree — Tulip Poplar
This tree was bud-grafted from the last standing Revolutionary era Liberty Tree. These trees served as gathering places for American colonists fighting for their independence. May this tree serve as a living testimony to our American founding . . . — Map (db m114553) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Light House Bistro
Light House Bistro serves the community as a gathering place for patrons from all walks of life. This Artwork by Sally Wern Comport pays tribute to the area's history and the people that make it special. The Presidents Hill neighborhood is named . . . — Map (db m114544) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Made from USS Lexington Recycled Plastic Waste
Manufactured for the U.S. Navy's David Taylor Research Center by National Waste Technologies under a joint project sponsored by the Naval Sea Systems Command and The Council for Solid Waste Solutions November 1990 — Map (db m114851) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Marion Warren's six photographs capture this historic Annapolis neighborhood in a sleepier time — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Marion Warren's six photographs capture this historic Annapolis neighborhood in a sleepier time: a lone midshipman slowly trudging through the snow by St. Anne's Church; the official vehicle in front of Farmer's National Bank; men chatting by the . . . — Map (db m114548) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Non Sibi Sed Patriae
"Not for self, but for country" is the motto of the USNA Class of 1966—it exemplifies the tie that eternally binds together our Class, a graduate's branch of service, the Naval Service as a whole. As a Class, we were forged in the . . . — Map (db m127933) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Oysters: Vital to Commerce. Vital to Culture.
"We wasted our inheritance by improvidence and mismanagement and blind confidence." William K. Brooks, The Oyster, 1891 Vital to Commerce For over 100 years, oysters were one of the Chesapeake Bay's most valuable commercial . . . — Map (db m114863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Oysters: Vital to Nature. Vital to Our Future.
"State sets new record for oyster restoration; 750,000,000 spat placed in rivers that feed the Bay." The Capital, 2009 Vital to Nature The native Eastern or American oyster (Crassostrea virginica) is a keystone . . . — Map (db m114864) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Oysters: Vital to the Lifeline of the Chesapeake
1600's Captain John Smith and the Jamestown Expedition wrote: Oysters "lay on the ground as thick as stones." 1700's Chesapeake traveler Francis Louis Michel wrote: "The abundance of oysters is incredible." 1870-1890 . . . — Map (db m114862) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Planned in the Past — Main Street — The Nicholson Town Plan
1694 Governor Francis Nicholson Governor of the Province of Maryland, 1694-1698 [Image captions:] •Photograph by Carol M. Highsworth. [LC-N3503-1883] •Portrait thought to be of Francis Nicholson, . . . — Map (db m114551) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Preble Hall
Preble Hall dedicated to Commodore Edward Preble, USN 1761-1807 Educator of Naval leaders and Commander of our squadron before Tripoli, 1803-04. — Map (db m114825) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Remembering the Foot Soldiers of the March on Washington
[Left plaque:] This memorial is dedicated to the quarter of a million people of all races, religions and nationalities who, on a sweltering summer day, August 28, 1963, gathered in our nation's capital in front of the Lincoln Memorial to . . . — Map (db m114567) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Roger W. Moyer — Visionaries of the 1960s — August 16, 1934
Main Street, first named Church Street in 1696, provided a route to and from the busy port at City Dock. The street quickly became a corridor of commercial, political, and professional, and entertainment services for the City of Annapolis and the . . . — Map (db m114792) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 3 — Sally Wern Comport's "Shaping a City" — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Sally Wern Comport's two dimensional artwork "Shaping a City" on the Newman Park fence celebrates the foundation of our city: the working class, its farmers, its watermen, factory workers, carpenters, other highly skilled tradesmen, and suppliers . . . — Map (db m114859) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Sampson Hall
Sampson Hall Named In Honor Of Rear Admiral William Thomas Sampson, U.S.N. 1840-1902 Head of Department of Physics and Chemistry Chief of Bureau of Ordnance Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy Commander in . . . — Map (db m114853) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Sharpening Our Governing Teeth: The 1708 Charter of Annapolis — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
Annapolis, one of America's earliest chartered cities, celebrated its 300th anniversary of its charter in 2008. Colonial Governor John Seymour granted the Annapolis municipal charter in the name of England's Queen Anne in 1708, during the brief . . . — Map (db m114562) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Skipjack Lydia D — Annapolis Maritime Museum
The Lydia D is a replica model of a skipjack which made its appearance on the Chesapeake Bay in the late 1800s. The skipjack, with its shallow draft and centerboard, was used primarily to dredge for oysters. The skipjack design was so . . . — Map (db m114873) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Smedberg Gate
The Smedberg Gate, sponsored by the USNA Class of 1958, honors Vice Admiral William R. Smedberg, III, USN, USNA Class of 1926, who served as Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy from 1956 to 1958. His inspirational leadership was the catalyst . . . — Map (db m127931) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Spanish Gun
Spanish Gun captured by U.S. Navy from Mexican Forces in California in 1847. — Map (db m114818) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — St. John Neumann, C.Ss.R.
Born: March 28, 1811 Ordained: June 25, 1836 Professed as a Redemptorist: January 16, 1842 Consecrated Bishop: March 28, 1852 Died: January 5, 1860 Canonized: June 19, 1977 — Map (db m114536) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — State Circle & Maryland Ave. — A historic perspective
State Circle & Maryland Ave. a historic perspective 1849 The Sons of Temperance buy the vacant corner lot. 1853 Temperance Hall is erected, the present two-story brick building. 1891 A grocery store . . . — Map (db m114554) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 1 — Sy Mohr's City Dock Harbormaster Collage — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Sy Mohr's City Dock Harbormaster Collage speaks to the magical landscape that welcomes citizens and visitors alike to the City Dock and the historical City of Annapolis. His work takes us on a trip through time, progressively moving from the past . . . — Map (db m114802) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The City Water System — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008 — Commemorating the 1708 Royal Charter under Queen Anne to the City of Annapolis
The first important work on water sanitation, that of Edwin Chadwick in 1842, finally seemed to have caught local attention in the 1850s when the City Council passed the first ordinances governing disposal of human remains. A decade later, large . . . — Map (db m114561) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Joseph R. Hunt Court
Joe Hunt transferred to the Navy Academy after having already won an intercollegiate national title in doubles (1938) while attending USC. A member of the U.S. Davis Cup team in 1939, Hunt won the intercollegiate national title in singles in 1941 . . . — Map (db m114816) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Market House
The current Market House is the third to be built on this site. In 1784, Nicholas Carroll, Jacob Hurst, Charles Wallace, Joseph Williams, Thomas Harwood, John Davidson, James MacKubin and James Williams, all prominent businessmen, donated the land . . . — Map (db m114795) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Old Fourth Ward — 1941 - 1951
"This is a Community Built on Brotherhood" Janice Hayes Williams, Historian This intersection of West and West Washington Streets is the gateway to the "Old Fourth Ward," Annapolis' historic African American community. Its . . . — Map (db m114537) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — This is an example of "Ogham" writing.
This is an example of "Ogham" writing. It is a style of Irish alphabet and writing dating from the 1st Century. It is read from the bottom to the top. This sign says, "Welcome to Galway Bay". — Map (db m114858) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — This montage is the collaborative effort of... — Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This montage is the collaborative effort of George "Lassie" Belt, children from the Stanton Community Center (listed below), and Artwalk curator, Sally Wern Comport. This artwork, part of the Annapolis 300 celebration, is at the entrance to the . . . — Map (db m114558) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — This thirty-two pounder iron cannon barrel
This thirty-two pounder iron cannon barrel is a cast reproduction, circa 1905, for the USS Constitution. The Naval Historical Center, Detachment Boston, in conjunction with the National Park Service has made this cannon available to the . . . — Map (db m127930) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — United States Naval Academy
Presented to the United States Naval Academy by the Members of the Class of 1950 Initially on the occasion of their 30th Anniversary - April 1980 Updated yard/campus changes at their 50th Anniversary - April 2000 . . . — Map (db m114813) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapols — Deadrise Defined
Little HES is a classic example of a Chesapeake Bay "deadrise", built for fishing and crabbing in the summer and oystering in the winter. The term "deadrise" refers to the underwater shape of a hull. Little HES has a sharp vee-entry . . . — Map (db m114886) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Association of Maryland Pilots — June 3, 1852
At this location, then known as the Union Hotel, a group of some 90 state licensed bay pilots met in the hotel lobby to form the Association of Maryland Pilots. Captain Henry Vaughan was elected as their first president. Several rooms of the second . . . — Map (db m109877) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Chamber of Commerce
Until the 1850's, Baltimore's grain trading took place in "counting rooms" of individual merchants or on Bowley's Wharf where an effort was made to standardize corn and grain prices by displaying grain samples on barrel heads and window ledges. . . . — Map (db m127236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Equitable Society
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115208) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Canton House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m127233) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Chamber of Commerce Building
Built between 1904 and 1905, this Renaissance Revival building was once the commercial hub of Baltimore's grain trade. Standing five-stories tall and extending the length of a city block, the building was home to the Baltimore Chamber of Commerce, . . . — Map (db m127235) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — City Center
(Front:) Just north of the Inner Harbor is Downtown's municipal, business and financial district, also referred to as City Center, a prime east coast location for corporate headquarters and financial institutions. City Center's . . . — Map (db m115210) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dr. William V. Lockwood
Dr. William V. Lockwood was the first Vice President Emeritus of Baltimore Community College. His vision, uncompromising work ethic, and life long devotion to educational advancement made him instrumental in transforming the dream of the Harbor . . . — Map (db m115221) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fells Point
[West-facing, left side:] Fells Point Baltimore's Original Deep Water Port Feisty, independent Fells Point was annexed by Baltimore in 1773. Despite the loss of its political independence, it has stayed true to its . . . — Map (db m118464) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — First Gas Street Lamp in America
Site of the First Gas Street Lamp in America February 7, 1817 Rededicated February 7, 2017 • 200 Yrs • Baltimore Gas and Electric Company — Map (db m127234) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Govans War Casualty Memorial
Roll of Honor In Memorial of the men in Govans who sacrificed their lives for our country [Names listed]Map (db m128736) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — It is now the world's largest music event.
On September 22 of 2007 record store owners from all over the USA gathered here in Fell's Point to create Record Store Day. It is now the world's largest music event. "Record stores can't save your life. But they can give you a . . . — Map (db m114574) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Korean War Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to those Marylanders who served and died in the "Forgotten War" Korea June 25, 1950-July 27, 1953 [Names listed] — Map (db m128743) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Washington Veterans Memorial
In honor of all from this community who served in wars and campaigns of our country Erected by The Citizens of Mount Washington 1951Map (db m128735) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — National Bohemian Beer — "From the Land of Pleasant Living" — History
The National Brewing Company of Baltimore, MD first introduced the National Bohemian brand as we know it today in January, 1934. Often referred to as Natty Boh, the brand has been in continuous production ever since. Mr. Boh, the mustachioed, . . . — Map (db m109879) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Saint Mary's World Wars I and II Memorial
In memory of the members of Saint Mary's Parish who served our country in the World Wars Let us pray for those who made the supreme sacrifice — Map (db m128737) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — South Union Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m115206) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Leo's Veterans Memorial
[Top left] 1914 World War 1915 St. Leo's Catholic Church [Names listed] Erected by members of the congregation in honor of these men of the parish who proved their loyalty to God and Country during the Great World War. . . . — Map (db m128739) WM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Great Baltimore Oyster Partnership
Did you know that oysters can live in Baltimore's Inner Harbor? The Great Baltimore Oyster Partnership grows baby oysters (called spat) in cages hanging from docks and piers around the Harbor, inside the cages are recycled oyster shells and . . . — Map (db m115219) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Old Police Station
[Left plaque] On this site stood The Old Police Station Erected 1879 Commissioners William Carmichael E.W. Stiefel J.H. Millender G.W. Bucher Builder G.A. Boyden Architect Rebuilt . . . — Map (db m128744) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Together we remember the people of Maryland who perished on 9.11.2001
Together we remember the people of Maryland who Perished on 9.11.2001 Teddington H. Moy 2.26.1953 • Todd H. Reuben 6.30.1961 • Gerald P. Fisher 3.28.1944 • Charles S. Falkenberg 7.12.1956 • Zoe E. Falkenberg 11.8.1992 • Dana C. Falkenberg . . . — Map (db m115218) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Welcome — Heritage Walk
(front) Discover Heritage Walk, a 3.2 mile walking trail through four fascinating centuries. Within a compact area, Heritage Walk connects some 20 historic sites and museums, traversing four city districts of remarkable diversity and . . . — Map (db m115215) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Westside
The Westside of Downtown Baltimore boasts an astonishing variety of architectural styles from early 19th century Federal townhouses to Reconstruction-era cast-iron facades to Art Deco storefronts. The one-time heart of the City, the Westside's . . . — Map (db m115207) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Fells Point — Loring Cornish / How Great Thou Art
[Left plaque:] Baltimore artist Loring Cornish, known for his colorful mosaics and personality, moving to California Artist Loring Cornish, whose glass and found-object mosaics have beautified homes on Eutaw Street, a former . . . — Map (db m118456) HM
Maryland (Baltimore), Fells Point — The Hankin Healthy Harbor Walking Tour
Michael Hankin's Vision Baltimore is a better place thanks to Mike Hankin, a strong business and civic leader and fervent environmentalist. The environment he loves most is the Baltimore Harbor. In 2005, he led the creation of the . . . — Map (db m113110) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — A Civil Rights Milestone
On September 10, 1935, Black students Lucille Scott and Margaret Williams were denied admittance to Catonsville High School. NAACP attorney Thurgood Marshall filed suit. Although they lost the case, Maryland's Court of Appeals acknowledged that a . . . — Map (db m128246) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Hilton
Hilton Circa 1825, 1917 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaques to the right of the doorway read:] Hilton . . . — Map (db m128247) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — A Final Tribute Battle of Westminster — "Corbit's Charge" — June 29, 1863
A Final Tribute Battle of Westminster "Corbit's Charge" June 29, 1863 The City of Westminster and the citizens of Carroll County proudly honor the brave men of the 1st Delaware Cavalry and the Vanguard of General J.E.B. Stuart's . . . — Map (db m114399) HM WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Carroll County Vietnam Veterans Memorial
[Entrance plaque:] Carroll County Vietnam Veterans Memorial [Small plaque laid in the ground:] We bond this memorial with the national and state memorials by the names enclosed below The names were brought to this . . . — Map (db m114517) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Carroll County World War I and World War II Memorial
This building erected in honor of the men and women of Carroll County who served in World War I and World War II 1952 — Map (db m114409) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — First Lutheran Parsonage
First Lutheran Parsonage Serving the five churches of the Westminster Charge 1854-1870 — Map (db m114407) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Gettysburg Campaign — Invasion & Retreat — Maryland Civil War Trails
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north . . . — Map (db m114403) HM WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — History Is Also Now
Presented to the citizens of Westminster by the Mayor and Common Council History Is Also Now Designed by Lewis Schlitt ©1999 and created with help of Drury Bynum, Thomas Van Damme, and James Veenstra. Based on . . . — Map (db m114431) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — In Memory of All American Veterans
This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common, undeniable goal—to valiantly protect our country's freedoms. The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on whenever . . . — Map (db m114408) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Landon C. Burns
Landon C. Burns was born in 1897 in Virginia. He graduated from the University of Maryland with a B.S. Degree in Agriculture Education and later earned an M.S. Degree in Rural Sociology. The man who was often called "Mr. Carroll County" was . . . — Map (db m114412) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Memorial Gateway
Until this or future generations shall provide a more fitting tribute, this simple gateway is erected as a memorial for the dead and testimonial to the living soldiers and others from Carroll County who served in the . . . — Map (db m114402) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Molleville Farm Post No. 467, V.F.W. — 1952 — A tribute to Robert T. Manning
This building is dedicated to the memory of our departed comrades — Map (db m114396) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Potters Field — 1850-1960s
When Maryland's legislature approved the formation of Carroll County in 1837, it required the residents to build a courthouse, jail, register's office, clerk's office and a poorhouse. In 1852, the County Commissioners purchased 307 acres on . . . — Map (db m114411) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — The Rosser Raid — "Welcome into my home!" — Antietam Campaign 1862
After Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's smashing victory over Union Gen. John Pope at the Second Battle of Manassas, Lee decided to invade Maryland to reap the fall harvest, gain Confederate recruits, earn foreign recognition of the . . . — Map (db m114405) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — The Trumbo-Chrest House
The Trumbo-Chrest House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m114397) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — World War II Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m114410) WM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Born To Be Free — Slavery — 1820
Harriet Tubman, known as "Minty", was born to Rittia 'Rit' Green Ross, her mother, and Benjamin 'Ben' Ross, her father. Ben and Rit Ross were both enslaved (but to different owners) at the time of Harriet's birth. The number of Harriet Tubman's . . . — Map (db m109922) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Civil War: Abolitionist, Scout, Spy and Nurse — Civil War Era — 1858 - 1865
The Slavery Conflict Deepens During the 1850's the deep-rooted conflict between pro-slavery and anti-slavery Americans intensified. The 'abolitionists' were united around the common long-run goal of abolishing slavery. But they differed . . . — Map (db m109916) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Joe Bailey Shakes the Lion's Paw — Underground Railroad — 1849 - 1858
Harriet Tubman led many slaves from Dorchester County to Canada (via the suspension bridge at Niagara Falls). One trip with "fugitive slaves" occurred in November 1856, when Tubman conducted Josia (Joe) Bailey, William Bailey, Peter Pennington and . . . — Map (db m109913) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Station Stops: The Underground Railroad — Underground Railroad — 1849 - 1858
William Still William Still (1821- 1902) was born in Burlington New Jersey. His parents had been enslaved on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. To escape slavery, William Still’s parents and their young daughter fled to New Jersey before . . . — Map (db m117270) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — The Post War Years — Twilight Years — 1865 - 1913
Insult and Injury on the Train to New York The Civil War ended in April 1865. The irony of the situation added insult to injury. She had dedicated her life for three years, at great personal risk to the Union cause. Now a railroad . . . — Map (db m109919) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge
The Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, one of over 560 national wildlife refuges, provides critical habitats for native plants and wildlife. The 17 acres that for the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park are surrounded by the . . . — Map (db m114439) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway
Explore the scenic byway, follow the path to freedom and discover Harriet Tubman's rich history. Experience extraordinary stories of courage along the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway. With unspoiled landscapes virtually unchanged . . . — Map (db m114437) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — The Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center
Discover the extraordinary life and legacy of Harriet Tubman in the landscape of her childhood and early adult life. Harriet Ross Tubman, an American legendary human rights advocate and suffragist, was born in enslaved in Dorchester . . . — Map (db m114438) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Original Turnpike Road Construction
Modern road construction methods have evolved utilizing multiple sub grade & substrate layers of compacted earth, crushed stone, concrete, asphalt and can measure up to 36" in depth creating a stable smooth driving surface. Construction of the . . . — Map (db m116487) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — A World War I Shipyard Transforms Jones Point — From Shoals to Ships — 1918-1921
During World War I (1914-1918), the U.S. government targeted Jones Point as the site for a private shipyard, one of 111 built to aid the war effort. The Virginia Shipbuilding Corporation yard, constructed just before war's end, was designed to build . . . — Map (db m127780) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria — A Place Through Time
13,000 years ago The Paleoindian Period A Native American hunter during the Paleoindian period discards a broken spear point, on a bluff overlooking a tributary to the Potomac River at the southern edge of present-day Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad
The rails embedded in the brick sidewalk along this block of Fayette Street come from the Alexandria and Fredericksburg Railroad. Chartered in 1864 and completed to Quantico by 1872, this rail line ran in the street and spurred industrial growth in . . . — Map (db m115685) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria Archaeology Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The launch of urban renewal in 1965 led to a boom of archaeological discoveries in Alexandria's Old and Historic District. As buildings were razed exposing artifact-laden layers of history, community outcry demanded that the City address and halt . . . — Map (db m115770) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Alexandria, D.C. — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria was established by Virginia's colonial assembly in 1749, over four decades the U.S. Congress authorized creation of a national capital on the banks of the Potomac River. Once the final site for the Federal city was selected by President . . . — Map (db m115707) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Barrett Library/Black History Museum
The Alexandria Library's Kate Waller Barrett Branch (2 blocks north, 1 block east) and the Alexandria Black History Museum (6 blocks north) have an unusual shared history. The library building was constructed in 1938 and named for Dr. Kate Waller . . . — Map (db m115715) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Battery Cove Filled: A New Shipyard
Between 1911 and 1912, Battery Cove, the shallow bay extending from the southern edge of Keith's Wharf southward to Jones Point, was [unreadable] for the Civil War Battery Rodgers and was used as a small [unreadable] for an extensive dredging . . . — Map (db m127768) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Brick Making on Broomilaw Point — ca. 1882-1919 — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749
John Tucker's small factory at Broomilaw Point was one of several brickyards that operated in the City of Alexandria. Park Agnew and M.B. Harlow bought the brickworks in 1890, expanding and mechanizing Tucker's small operation. By 1890, the . . . — Map (db m127763) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Building Potomac Yard — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard
Potomac Yard was located between Washington D.C. and Alexandria because the site already served as the confluence of many shipping routes; was centrally located on the eastern seaboard; and would alleviate troublesome train congestion from . . . — Map (db m115669) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Captain Rocky Versace Plaza and Vietnam Veterans Memorial [In the center of the memorial:] ★ My son is ★ was ★ he often did ★ does ★ his eyes are ★ were brown ★ Tere Rios Versace . . . — Map (db m115677) WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Carver School
Just two blocks north of this location along Fayette Street (named for the Marquis de Lafayette who visited Alexandria in 1824), near the southwest corner of Queen Street, stood the Old Powder House, dating from 1791-1809. On the same spot, the . . . — Map (db m115713) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Christ Church — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Before the American Revolution, the Church of England was the established church of Virginia and part of the colonial government. For administrative purposes, the colony was divided into "parishes" and all residents paid taxes to maintain church . . . — Map (db m115716) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Col. John Fitzgerald
Here stood the home of Col. John Fitzgerald favorite aide-de-camp and bosom friend of Washington Erected by Col. John Fitzgerald Chapter New Jersey Catholic Historical Society — Map (db m115761) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Colonel Francis Peyton
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, this land was part of a larger parcel owned by Colonel Francis Peyton and the land was later inherited by his son, Lucien. In 1851, Lucien Peyton sold this property, depicted on the 1845 map of Alexandria, . . . — Map (db m115704) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Corporal Charles William Hill — 1949-1989
Charles W. Hill was born on February 22, 1949, in Suffolk County, New York. Charlie, as he was known to his friends, grew up on Long Island where he met his wife, Virginia. They married in 1971. Charlie was hired as a New York City Police Officer . . . — Map (db m115684) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Crossroads of Transportation — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard
The Potomac Yard site has historically been an intersection for transportation because of its location between Washington D.C. and Alexandria and the availability of open, level land near the river. Even before Potomac Yard was built, the . . . — Map (db m115667) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005)
Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005), practiced optometry at this address from the late 1950s to 1998. Dr. Stier moved his practice here after practicing at 716 King Street with his uncle, Dr. Moses Katz, O.D. (1913-1957). A longtime Alexandrian, Dr. . . . — Map (db m115717) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Early Alexandria and Keith's Wharf
During the 17th century, settlers began to establish small plantations near landing places on the Potomac River. Oceangoing ships could load tobacco and other goods to export to Great Britain. The area that was to become Alexandria was still . . . — Map (db m127772) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Edgar Warfield — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One of King Street's greatest commercial buildings was built by one of Alexandria's most beloved citizens. Edgar Warfield, Jr. was born in 1842, and at the age of 18 he co-founded the "Old Dominion Rifles," a Confederate militia that served in the . . . — Map (db m115749) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Electric Railway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Alexandria's electric streetcar system, the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway, was established in 1892 between Alexandria and Mount Vernon. In 1896, the line extended into Washington, crossing the Long Bridge where the 14th Street Bridge . . . — Map (db m115760) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Franklin P. Backus Courthouse — Dedicated in his honor November 17, 1989
University of Virginia, LLB 1936 Admitted to practice before the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals 1936 United States Naval Reserve Officer, World War II 1942-1946 Mayor and Member of City Council of City of Alexandria . . . — Map (db m115750) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Freedom House Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The building at 1315 Duke Street, two blocks south of here, was originally built around 1812 as a residence for General Robert Young, commander of Alexandria's militia, who died in 1824. This three-story brick building then became the headquarters . . . — Map (db m115706) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Friendship Firehouse — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In an 18th century town of mostly wooden buildings, where open flames provided heat, light and cooking on a daily basis, Alexandrians constantly faced the danger of fire. Water to fight fires had to be carried in buckets from nearby wells, town . . . — Map (db m115714) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — From Factory to Housing — The History of 515 N. Washington Street — City of Alexandria, Est. 1749
Alexandria's First Cotton Factory On April 19, 1847, the Mount Vernon Manufacturing Company purchased this lot along North Washington Street. The present building on this site was completed a year later in 1848, becoming the city's first . . . — Map (db m127782) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Gadsby's Tavern Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Gadsby's Tavern Museum consists of two buildings — the smaller c.1875 tavern and larger 1792 City Tavern and Hotel. While both were constructed by John Wise, they were made famous by John Gadsby, a rising tavern keeper who rented the buildings . . . — Map (db m115755) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Washington in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
George Washington considered Alexandria his hometown after its founding in 1749, and it is here that he came to do business, learn the events of the world, pick up mail, and visit friends. His first association with the town was probably as a 17 . . . — Map (db m115747) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — George Washington Memorial Parkway — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
A visit to George Washington's Mount Vernon estate, about nine miles to the south, has long been viewed as a patriotic duty of Americans. In the late 19th century, visitors often traveled there from Washington by boat, stopping first in Alexandria. . . . — Map (db m115719) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813
Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813 Member, Fairfax Committee of Safety Colonel, Virginia Regiment Fairfax Militia, Served with General George Washington in New Jersey campaign and Battle of Germantown Surveyor of the Town of . . . — Map (db m115764) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Lee-Fendall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Revolutionary War hero Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, father of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, purchased several lots on North Washington Street in Alexandria soon after the War for Independence. He lived with his family in a house on Cameron . . . — Map (db m115721) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Living History
Discover the spirit of Alexandria that has been making history for well over two centuries Founded in 1749, Alexandria was the center of commercial and political activity for early patriots such as George Washington as the seeds of the . . . — Map (db m115776) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Market Square — Old Town — Welcome City of Alexandria 1749
Alexandria's Market Square was established only a few years after the town was founded in 1749. The site selected was centrally located in a prime block of the colonial settlement, immediately adjacent to the City Hall. At the time, Cameron and . . . — Map (db m115757) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Marshall House — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In the early morning hours of May 24, 1861, the day after a public referendum in Virginia supported secession from the United States, Alexandria was invaded by Union forces crossing the Potomac. Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth, the young commander of the . . . — Map (db m115753) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Mount Vernon Avenue — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
Proposals for a modern road connecting the nation's capital with the Mount Vernon Estate were raised in 1888 and proceeded in fits and starts for the next forty-two years. By 1900, a patchwork of new roads and renamed existing roads had created . . . — Map (db m115149) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Pioneer Mill
(caption)View from Pioneer Mill, looking up at the wharf. May 1865 Courtesy of Library of Congress. Pioneer Mill once stood at the end of Duke Street. The photograph shows the many wharves that occupied the blocks where . . . — Map (db m115774) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Historically, Alexandria's development moved from east to west, and three distinct areas of the city have unofficially been known as the "West End." The first West End ended at Shuter's Hill, the current site of the George Washington Masonic . . . — Map (db m115709) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Potomac Connections — Tidewater and the Atlantic Coastal Plain — Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail
George Washington lived in and traveled from this region, pursuing his dream of westward expansion—to connect the Atlantic Seaboard with the frontier West. His efforts to use the Potomac River as a commercial artery influenced . . . — Map (db m127767) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Potomac Yard History — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
English settlers built several plantations on the site in the 18th century. The land, much owned by the Swann and Daingerfield families, became part of Alexandria County, D.C. with the creation of the District of Columbia in 1791, and retroceded . . . — Map (db m115145) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Potomac Yard in Transition — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard
Despite its function as a major rail classification yard for many years, Potomac Yard was not immune to the economic pressures and competition from other modes of transportation. Trucks and airplanes eventually reduced the need for goods and . . . — Map (db m115650) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Retail in Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The 500 block of King Street has long been associated with retail trade in Alexandria. In the late 18th century, Adam Lynn, Sr. owned the quarter-block at this corner of King and St. Asaph Streets, where he operated a small bake shop selling . . . — Map (db m115746) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — E 140 — Roberts Memorial United Methodist Church
At the end of the 18th century, African Americans constituted half of the congregation at Alexandria's Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. With support from Trinity, black members founded a separate congregation early in the 1830s, and their . . . — Map (db m127781) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Schools in the Town of Potomac — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
In September 1900, Alexandria County opened the original Mount Vernon School on this property to educate children up to the 8th grade. In spite of continual expansion, crowding was always a problem. By 1932, it was necessary to rent the bank . . . — Map (db m115682) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Shuter's Hill — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Shuter's Hill, a high bluff overlooking King Street, is probably named for the a local resident named Shuter who lived nearby in the 1740s. The site has been visited by people for more than 5,000 years. In fact, archaeologists have uncovered . . . — Map (db m115785) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — St. Asaph Racetrack — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The Alexandria Gentleman's Driving Club laid out a track just north of here that was operating by 1894, colloquially known as "the St. Asaph Track." In 1897, however, Virginia banned horse race betting, so the track was never as profitable as . . . — Map (db m115144) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum traces one of America's oldest continuously-run family businesses that combined manufacturing, wholesaling and retailing. Founded in 1792, and operated just across Fairfax Street until 1933, the pharmacy was . . . — Map (db m115762) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Submarine Screw (Propeller) — USS Pompon (SS 267)
Gato Class WWII Fleet Submarine

Conducted nine war patrols in the Pacific. Awarded four Battle Stars Commissioned March 17, 1943 De-commissioned April 1, 1960 — Map (db m115779) WM

Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexanders & Agriculture — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard
Potomac Yard was once part of a vast, wooded landscape overlooking the Potomac River. The original 6,000-acre tract (about 9 square miles) was passed down through generations of the John Alexander family and divided among surviving spouses and . . . — Map (db m115672) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexandria Lyceum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
One block south is The Alexandria Lyceum, formed as a public education organization in 1834 by Quaker schoolmaster Benjamin Hallowell and other civic leaders. In 1839, the founders joined with the Alexandria Library Company to construct a . . . — Map (db m115718) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Alexandria Marine Railway
The Alexandria Marine Railway Company was founded in 1849 at the site of the former Keith's Wharf. Until the Depression of 1857, the firm refitted and repaired the sailing craft that plied the harbors of Alexandria, Georgetown and Washington. The . . . — Map (db m127769) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Athenaeum — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Home to the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, the Athenaeum is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture, with a long and colorful history of occupation. The building was constructed between 1851 and 1852 as the Bank of the Old Dominion, . . . — Map (db m115768) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Civil War Comes to Alexandria — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
In 1860, Alexandria was a vibrant southern city boasting a population of 12,652 and 96 firms which produced everything from bark to tin-ware. During the U.S. Presidential campaign in the fall of 1860, business-minded Alexandrians were decidedly . . . — Map (db m115781) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Earliest Inhabitants
After 10,000 B.C., as glacial ice retreated, small bands of Paleo-Indians moved into the vicinity of what would become Alexandria. Moving frequently within wide areas, these bands hunted game and collected the plant resources of the spruce/pine . . . — Map (db m127773) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Electric Railway — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The interurban streetcar caused a revolution in American life, permitting for the first time a suburban lifestyle. "Streetcar suburbs" became the 20th-century ideal of American middle-class family life with a home, yard and commute to work in the . . . — Map (db m115680) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Federal District and Alexandria
On January 22, 1791, George Washington appointed Andrew Ellicott and Benjamin Banneker to survey the boundaries of the "District of Columbia," to be the home of the Federal government of the United States. The President instructed the surveyors to . . . — Map (db m127771) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The First People on Jones Point — In Pursuit of Fur, Fish and Fowl — Jones Point Park
Archaeological evidence indicates that humans have occupied the Potomac River Valley for over 13,000 years and Jones Point for almost 9,000 years. Attracted by the rich resources of Hunting Creek marsh, indigenous people built temporary structures . . . — Map (db m127779) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Long Story of The Jones Point Ropewalk — 1833-1850 — Jones Point Park
In 1833, Josiah Davis constructed a narrow, 400-yard-long building where rope was manufactured for ship's rigging, a once-thriving maritime industry for the nearby port of Alexandria. [Caption:] The Jones Point ropewalk was a two-story . . . — Map (db m127774) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Port City — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
From this point, King Street slopes gently down to the Potomac. But when Alexandria was founded in 1749, the new town was perched on a high bluff some 20 feet above the river. The town was established on a shore of a crescent-shaped bay that . . . — Map (db m115766) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Rail Yard Hump — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard
Certain rail classification yards depended on a simple landform called the "hump." Potomac Yard had two humps: one for the northbound trains and one for the southbound trains. Trains first entered a receiving yard where locomotives were detached . . . — Map (db m115665) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Ramsay House — Built Circa 1724
Oldest house in Alexandria owned by William Ramsay, a Founder, Trustee, and the first Mayor of Alexandria in 1749. Later occupied by his son Dennis Ramsay and his descendants. INterest in preserving the house was initiated by Edward . . . — Map (db m115763) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Town of Potomac — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
When the Washington, Alexandria & Mount Vernon Railway announced plans in 1892 that included tracks between Washington, D.C. and Alexandria, the flat, open land north of Alexandria became a logical site for a new community. The development firm . . . — Map (db m115147) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — The Triangle Site — 1908 Town of Potomac 1929
The location of Del Ray Central apartments is often referred to as The Triangle Site. Both the topography of this place and transportation corridors defined the site's shape. The eastern side drops sharply down to the flat plain on which Potomac . . . — Map (db m115676) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Timberman Brothers — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
At the turn of the 20th century, Alexandria was home to at least a dozen pharmacies, two of them associated with the name Timberman. Charles Parke Custis Timberman and other brother John Elmer Winfield Timberman were born near Pohick Church in 1878 . . . — Map (db m115723) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Torpedo Factory Art Center — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Originally called the United States Naval Torpedo Station, the Torpedo Factory was built during World War I, and was specifically designed for the fabrications of dangerous naval ordnance. The building was barely completed when that war ended in . . . — Map (db m115784) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Virginia's First Highways — City of Alexandria Est. 1749 — Potomac Yard
When Native Americans moved into the Mid-Atlantic region of the Untied States they traveled on the waterways created overland routes for hunting, migration, and trade. In essence, they were Virginia's first highways. These routes often followed . . . — Map (db m115675) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Visiting Old Town
(obverse side) King Street Trolley Free Proceed directly ahead to trolley stop Welcome to Old Town Alexandria! Experience historical charm with contemporary flair from the river to the rails Plan Alexandria Visitors . . . — Map (db m115143) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Visiting Old Town
Welcome to Old Town Alexandria! Experience historical charm with contemporary flair from the river to the rails Plan Alexandria Visitors Center at Ramsay House Knowledgeable staff help you create a perfect plan for your . . . — Map (db m115778) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — War of 1812 — City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Few periods of Alexandria's history have been more tumultuous than the War of 1812. During the first decade of the 19th century, Great Britain's interception of American ships, impressment of U.S. seamen, and support of Indian aggression along the . . . — Map (db m115769) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Welcome to Contrabands and Freedmen Cemetery Memorial
[West wall:] During the Civil War, Alexandria's population swelled with more than 20,000 enslaved African Americans fleeing Confederate territory for safety behind Union lines. Initially called Contrabands because they were considered . . . — Map (db m127734) HM WM
Virginia, Alexandria — Welcome to Jones Point Park — National Park Service — U.S. Department of the Interior
The open vistas, recreational fields, or fishing pier may be what drew you to Jones Point Park, but archaeological and historical evidence shows that this land has been attracting people for a multitude of reasons during the last 9,000 years. Over . . . — Map (db m127766) HM WM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Cherrydale & Maywood — Glimpses of History
(from left to right) Cherrydale Station The first steam locomotive reached Cherrydale and Thrifton (now Maywood) in the spring of 1904. There were two rail lines in Alexandria (now Arlington) County that served the young community. . . . — Map (db m125007) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Reeb Hall — 1949-2012 — Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington
The Unitarian Church of Arlington (UCA), founded in 1948, had its first permanent home sited here. The first section (on the right) opened in 1949 and the second section in 1952, both designed by UCA member Earl B. Bailey, A.I.A. Active in the . . . — Map (db m128220) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, Virginia Sanctuary
Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, Virginia Sanctuary 1962 Entered in 2014 on the National Register of Historic Places United States Department of Interior Register of Historic Places Commonwealth of Virginia . . . — Map (db m128219) HM
Virginia (Caroline County), Woodford — Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park
Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilderness, and Spotsylvania—this is the bloodiest landscape in North America. No place more vividly reflects the Civil War's cost in all its forms. A city bombarded, bloodied, and looted. Farms large and . . . — Map (db m119623) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Battle of North Mountain Depot
This boulder marks the site on Camp Hill where the batteries were fired during the War Between the States in the raid on the federal blockhouse, located at North Mountain. On July 4, 1864, the 14th, 16th, and 17th Regiments of General McCausland's . . . — Map (db m117317) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Hedgesville Historic District National Register Site — Washington Heritage Trail
During the French and Indian War (c. 1750) Virginia Militia Col. George Washington supervised the construction of Fort Hedges, a stockade fort built along the Warm Spring Road at the heavily-traveled Skinner's gap atop North Mountain (740 feet . . . — Map (db m117316) HM

1580 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1380
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.