Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

794 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 594
 
Anderson County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, January 19, 2019
Anderson County Marker
Germany, Bavaria (Berchtesgadener Land), Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden — Pfarrkirche St. Sebastian
(German) Pfarrkirche St. Sebastian Anno 1512 Erbaut unter Fürstpropst Gregor Rainer Erweitert 1697/1700 (English) Parish Church St. Sebastian Built in 1512 under Prince-provost Gregor Rainer . . . — Map (db m139190) HM
Nebraska (Dawes County), Whitney — 003 — Butte Country
Perhaps no spot in Nebraska is so surrounded by historical and geographical landmarks as this one. Numerous landmarks of the period of the Indian Wars are visible from here. The site of a legendary battle between the Sioux and Crow Indians, Crow . . . — Map (db m135118) HM
Oklahoma (Cleveland County), Norman — Cleveland County Courthouse
Norman was designated as the seat of Cleveland County shortly after the Land Run of 1889. The first permanent courthouse was located in the Original Townsite of Norman at the corner of Gray Street and Ponca Avenue. This structure was destroyed by . . . — Map (db m121720) HM
Oklahoma (Cleveland County), Norman — The Beginning of Cleveland County
Although the Norman townsite was settled during the Land Run on April 22, 1889, Cleveland County did not exist for another year, and almost wasn't named Cleveland County. In fact, if not for the efforts of Norman's early citizens and civic leaders, . . . — Map (db m121630) HM
South Dakota (Custer County), Hot Springs — 520 — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp NP-1 (DNP-1): located southeast of the cave entrance in Wind Cave Canyon. Companies: 2754 -- 7/16/34 - 11/1/39 2757 detachment -- 4/18/40 - 8/1/40 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that . . . — Map (db m134564) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8731 — Anderson County
Created March 24, 1846, from Houston County Organized July 13, 1846 with Palestine as the county seat Named in honor of Kenneth Lewis Anderson Vice-President of the Republic of Texas 1844-45 — Map (db m128942) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8732 — Anderson County Courthouse
Created by the Texas Legislature on March 24, 1846, Anderson County was named for former Republic of Texas Vice President Kenneth L. Anderson. The first court in the new county was held in a log house at nearby Fort Houston in 1846. The first . . . — Map (db m128934) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 16925 — Col. Homer Garrison, Jr.
Born in Kickapoo (Anderson Co.) in 1901, Homer Garrison was the son of Mattie (Milam) and Homer Garrison, Sr. The family moved to Angelina County, where Homer, Sr. served as District Clerk. Homer, Jr. graduated from Lufkin High School and worked for . . . — Map (db m128944) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 16336 — Dr. Bonner Frizzell
Bonner Frizzell was born in the Pine Grove Community, near Athens, in 1882. He was the son of William Asachel and Frances Missouri (Knight) Frizzell. Bonner attended high school at Bruce Academy in Athens and then moved to Tyler to attend Tyler . . . — Map (db m128978) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8740 — Governor Thomas Mitchell Campbell(April 22, 1856 - April 1, 1923)
Born near Rusk in Cherokee County, Thomas Mitchell Campbell was the son of Thomas Duncan and Rachel (Moore) Campbell. He financed his education by working for the County Clerk in Longview. In 1878 Campbell was admitted to the Bar and opened his law . . . — Map (db m128941) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8803 — John H. Reagan
John Henninger Reagan, son of Timothy and Elizabeth Lusk Reagan, was born on October 18, 1818, in Sevierville, Tennessee. He joined the Republic of Texas Army in 1839 and served in the Cherokee War. In the early 1840s, he held several public offices . . . — Map (db m128981) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 12630 — Micham Main
Little is known about this Anderson County pioneer until he married Elizabeth Van Winkle in Crawford County, Illinois, in 1820. The Mains lived in the Illinois township of Palestine until 1833, when, drawn by a favorable change in the Mexican . . . — Map (db m128935) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8790 — Palestine High School
A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government. The first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the Institute site on . . . — Map (db m128980) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17650 — Purvey Lee (P. L.) Chism
P.L. Chism’s devotion to education was unsurpassed. From the time of his youth, through his many years as a teacher, principal, superintendent and supervisor, he never stopped challenging himself and others for education. Purvey Lee Chism was born . . . — Map (db m128938) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 15921 — Robert (Bob) Knight
As a coach of athletics and a youth mentor, Robert (Bob) Knight positively influenced the lives of countless Palestine citizens. He was born in Iredell (Bosque County) in 1909, the last of eight children of William and Missouri Jane (Hand) Knight. . . . — Map (db m128977) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17672 — Roy B. Wallace
Roy B. Wallace was born in Coolidge, Limestone County, on October 13, 1901, to Benjamin C. Wallace, Sr. And Mae McCoy Wallace. Roy attended school in rural Limestone County and attended Texas Christian University prior to earning his Bachelor’s . . . — Map (db m128979) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 11660 — Swanson Cemetery
Micam Main of Illinois was granted a league of land by the Mexican government in 1835. One of the area's first brickmakers, Samuel M. Warden, died while working on Main's estate on Christmas Eve in 1847. He was interred on this site. According to . . . — Map (db m128982) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 8819 — Texas State Railroad
The Texas Prison System built a short rail line from the Rusk State Penitentiary to hardwood timber stands where charcoal was made for firing the prison's iron ore furnaces. The rail line became the foundation of the Texas State Railway, organized . . . — Map (db m128983) HM
Texas (Anderson County), Palestine — 17304 — Timothy Stephen Smith(February 20, 1902 - April 30, 2000)
Born the son of a runaway slave, Smith yearned for a better life. He attended Prairie View A&M College and received a degree in Vocational Agriculture. He became a teacher, educating the children of North Carolina and Texas for 42 years. He also . . . — Map (db m128939) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 16705 — Jourdan Campbell
Jourdan Campbell (1867-1938) and his family moved to Atascosa County by 1870; his father John Campbell founded Campbellton. Jourdan married Alice Louise Marr in 1897 and the couple had eight children. Jourdan became County Commissioner in the 1890s, . . . — Map (db m130161) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 18263 — Mercy Hospital
As transportation increased through Atascosa County with the creation of major highways, the number of vehicular accidents and fatalities increased. In 1952, thirteen fatalities and many serious injuries were reported as the "bloodiest year" in . . . — Map (db m130163) HM
Texas (Atascosa County), Jourdanton — 16964 — St. Matthew Catholic Parish
Following the establishment of Jourdanton in 1909, many Catholic families of Hispanic, Irish, Polish, and German descent expressed interest in building a church. Bishop J.W. Shaw traveled from San Antonio to assist in preparing a new church . . . — Map (db m130160) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 244 — Austin County Jail
Calling their old jail "unsafe, unfit, and inadequate," the Austin County Court contracted in 1896 with Pauly Jail Building Co. of St. Louis to erect this structure at cost of $19,970. Romanesque Revival style, with crenelated parapets, bartizans, . . . — Map (db m125600) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 11699 — Bellville
Brothers Thomas and James Bell came to this area from Florida in 1822 with Stephen F. Austin's colony and acquired about 2,000 acres of land in 1837. Thomas Bell offered a portion of his land at this site for a new townsite to replace San Felipe as . . . — Map (db m125599) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 18106 — First National Bank of Bellville
The First National Bank of Bellville, chartered on February 25, 1890, is the oldest bank in Austin County, and one of four national banks in Texas still in existence that were chartered in 1890. The first officers were E. J. Marshall, President; C. . . . — Map (db m125598) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4536 — San Felipe de Austin
First Anglo-American capital of Texas. Came into being on July 26, 1828, as capital of the Austin Colony, by decree of the Mexican government. Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin had begun under the 1821 grant from Mexico the settlement of more than . . . — Map (db m116924) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4537 — San Felipe de Austin Cemetery
San Felipe de Austin was established in 1824 as the community and administrative headquarters of Stephen F. Austin's original Anglo American colony in Texas. The site for the township was chosen by Austin and the Baron Felipe Enrique Neri de . . . — Map (db m116994) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11706 — San Felipe United Methodist Church
In 1837, the town of San Felipe de Austin was incorporated and the town council built a multi-purpose building to be used as a town hall, school, and church on land known as “Constitution Square.” The one-story building was constructed . . . — Map (db m116927) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 248 — Stephen Fuller Austin
Stephen F. Austin • Father of Texas, November 3, 1793-December 27, 1836. He planted the first Anglo-American colony in Texas • "The Old Three Hundred"• In his several colonies he settled more than a thousand families. He was from 1823 until 1828 the . . . — Map (db m116925) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 18179 — Bandera Historic Town Center
The origin of the name of Bandera Pass and its namesake city and county dates back to conflicts between the Spanish Army and native Lipan Apaches in the early 18th century. The history of the townsite began in the early 1840s, when Charles de Montel . . . — Map (db m130359) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 17596 — Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World"
The tradition of the Texas cowboy originated from northern Mexico with the vaqueros, individuals mounted on horseback who herded livestock, mainly cattle, through the open prairie. These men became legends in Bandera County. The City of Bandera . . . — Map (db m130352) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — Bandera, Texas USAState of Texas Resolutions
July 12, 1984 - The State of Texas House of Representatives, House Concurrence Resolution No. 94, signed by Texas Governor Mark White. "Be it additionally resolved that the Texas county of Bandera be declared the international headquarters . . . — Map (db m130398) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 294 — Bandera's First Bank
Bandera's First Bank. On Texas Republic land grant. Hand-cut native rock. Built about 1860. A school, home, shop. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965Map (db m130358) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 1599 — First Bandera County Courthouse
Georgia stonemason Henry White is credited with building this structure about 1868. In 1877 a store occupied the first floor and the Masonic Lodge met on the top floor. County commissioners bought the building that year to provide space for county . . . — Map (db m130355) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 17843 — Great Western Cattle Trail
The Great Western Cattle Trail (also known as the Old Texas Trail and the Dodge City Trail) was the longest of all 19th century trails used to drive cattle from Texas to distant markets. In 1874, Capt. John T. Lytle and other cowboys led 3,500 . . . — Map (db m130351) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 3474 — Mormon Settlers in Bandera County
Entered the year-old town of Bandera in March, 1854. Leader was Lyman Wight, church elder who had separated from followers of Brigham Young and taken a colony of 250 to Texas in 1846. Settling first in Austin, then Fredericksburg (where they . . . — Map (db m130135) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 3755 — Old Jail & Courthouse
Built 1881. Local stone, cypress floors used. Housed county offices until 1890. Used 57 years. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965Map (db m130354) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 5082 — St. Stanislaus Convent and First Catholic School
Polish settlers, who came to Bandera in 1855, built this convent and Catholic school in 1874. All classes, except religion and music, were moved in 1882 to a nearby frame school building. In 1922 a second story was added to the native limestone . . . — Map (db m130357) HM
Texas (Bandera County), Bandera — 13423 — The Mills of Bandera
Communities in the 19th century relied on mills to provide lumber, shingles, flour and cloth. Local millers and blacksmiths were integral community members, providing the necessary materials for early development. Stephen F. Austin reported in 1833 . . . — Map (db m130356) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 9153 — Bastrop County Courthouse
Bastrop County Courthouse - 1883 Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1975 — Map (db m126754) HM
Texas (Bastrop County), Bastrop — 12388 — Home Town of Texas Confederate Major Joseph D. Sayers1841 - 1929
(Front) Born Mississippi. Came to Texas 1851. Enlisted here as private 1861. Adjutant 5th Texas Cavalry in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At age 20 made captain for gallantry in Battle of Valverde. . . . — Map (db m126753) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 16421 — Barnard E. Bee, Sr.August 23, 1787 - April 9, 1853
Statesman, soldier and ambassador, Barnard Elliot Bee, Sr., was a significant figure during Texas’ years as a republic (1836-45). He was born in South Carolina to federal judge, Thomas Bee, and Susannah (Bulline) Bee. In 1809, he married Ann Wragg . . . — Map (db m132429) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 15808 — Beeville Post Office
The first post office was established in Beeville in 1859, the year after the town's founding. The 1918 building was the first Beeville post office constructed on Federal property - previous locations were county- or privately-owned. The building . . . — Map (db m132430) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 1692 — First Brick Building on Square
Victorian architecture. Built 1892 by grocer J.C. Thompson (1836-1905) of brick from Calavaros Kiln near Elmendorf. Upstairs in 1892 was law office of Lon C. Hill, who later founded Harlingen. Afterward on second floor was . . . — Map (db m132431) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 4104 — Praeger Building
San Antonio businessman Albert Praeger (1864-1930) moved to Beeville in the 1890s to open a hardware store and tin shop. He built this Romanesque Revival structure in 1906 to house his business, which included buggies and wagons as well as barbed . . . — Map (db m132433) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 17054 — In Re Ricardo Rodriguez
In 1896, a court case involving Ricardo Rodríguez brought attention to questions of citizenship and voting rights for Mexican Texans. Although several actions had granted citizenship to large numbers of Tejanos during the 1800s, some sought to . . . — Map (db m130096) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3555 — Casa José Antonio Navarro
Casa José Antonio Navarro has been designated a National Historic Landmark Home of statesman and historian José Antonio Navarro (1795-1871), signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, a writer of the State Constitution, . . . — Map (db m131014) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 4386 — Jose Francisco Ruiz(January 29, 1783 - January 20, 1840)
One of two native Texans who signed Declaration of Independence and helped found Republic of Texas. Ruiz, born in San Antonio, son of a wealthy rancher, was educated in Spain. Upon returning home, he was appointed school teacher by order of the . . . — Map (db m130094) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Mission San Francisco de la Espada
On this spot early pioneers of San Antonio gathered in time of danger and also when they came to worship in the chapel of San Francisco de la Espada. This lot was donated to the Archdiocese of San Antonio by the heirs of Josefa de la Garza . . . — Map (db m132595) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 12649 — Old Military Headquarters
In a 2-story stone building, afterwards a hotel, Vance House. Established as administrative offices for U.S. Army during the Mexican War, 1846-1847. At this site on Feb. 16, 1861, Gen. David E. Twiggs surrendered $1,600,000 in Federal . . . — Map (db m132554) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3819 — Old St. Mary's College(1852 – 1966)
Established in 1852 in frontier San Antonio by 4 members of the Society of Mary: Brothers Andrew Edel, John Baptist Laignoux, Nicholas Koenig, and Xavier Mauclerc - all natives of France. Construction of this building began in fall, 1852, and . . . — Map (db m132557) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 1409 — Route of El Camino Real
The main thoroughfare of early Texas, the Camino Real, or "King's Highway", followed ancient Indian and buffalo trail. It stretched 1,000 miles from Mexico to present Louisiana. Domingo Teran de los Rios, first Governor of Texas, blazed the central . . . — Map (db m130099) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 4463 — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Established on what was a part of the Alamo lands, Saint Mark's Espicopal Church traces its history to Trinity Church, a mission established in 1850 and disbanded in 1858. Saint Mark's church was organized in 1858 with the Rev. Lucius H. Jones as . . . — Map (db m132556) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 15600 — Site of Old Saint Mary's
After the Texas War for Independence, numerous immigrants, notably from Ireland, Germany, and the Eastern United States, arrived in San Antonio. The need to minister to these non-Hispanic Catholics prompted the Rt. Rev. John M. Odin, first Bishop of . . . — Map (db m132558) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 2072 — Site of T. C. Frost Wool Warehouse
A former Texas Ranger and Confederate soldier, Thomas C. Frost (1833-1903) began a wool commission business as part of his mercantile enterprise in the 1870s. He purchased wool from producers throughout the state and stored it in warehouses on this . . . — Map (db m130097) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 335 — The Battle of the Salado
Decisive in Texas history, was fought here, September 18, 1842. Col. Mathew Caldwell and Capt. John C. Hays, commanding a force of Texas volunteers, opposed the Mexican Army under General Adrian Woll that had captured San Antonio, and with the loss . . . — Map (db m128119) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5553 — Travis Park United Methodist Church("The Methodist Church", 1846; Paine Church, 1852-83)
Founded by the Rev. John Wesley DeVilbiss (1818-83), missionary to Republic of Texas, who in 1844 preached first Protestant sermon ever heard in San Antonio and in June 1846 organized his congregation in the courthouse. Villagers called him "the . . . — Map (db m132555) HM
Texas (Blanco County), Johnson City — 17678 — Dr. James F. Barnwell
James Franklin Barnwell was born on October 23, 1874 in Bowdon, Georgia. His family had a tradition of doctors, including his grandfather and three uncles. Following completion of his medical education at the University of Tennessee in 1896, . . . — Map (db m126759) HM
Texas (Blanco County), Johnson City — 3671 — Dr. James Odiorne(1816-1887)
Prominent pioneer physician, civic leader. Practiced medicine in Illinois and Kentucky before settling in Texas in 1857; moved to Blanco County in 1860. He was Civil War surgeon at Fort Mason, Tex. Served as commissioner and chief justice of Blanco . . . — Map (db m126761) HM
Texas (Blanco County), Johnson City — 2835 — James Polk Johnson(August 24, 1845 - October 20, 1885)
A native of Georgia, James Polk Johnson came to Texas with his family and grew up in DeWitt County. Following his service in the Confederate army during the Civil War, he moved to Blanco County to join his uncles in the cattle business. He bought . . . — Map (db m126760) HM
Texas (Blanco County), Johnson City — 16864 — Lyndon B. Johnson and Hill Country Electrification
By the 1930s, many residents of cities across the U.S. were benefiting from the common use of electricity. However, a vast majority of rural areas lacked electric service, which compounded depression-era problems for farmers whose crop returns were . . . — Map (db m126764) HM
Texas (Blanco County), Johnson City — Resting Place of a FounderJames Polk Johnson 1845 - 1885 — Lyndon B. Johnson National Historical Park —
Born in Alabama on August 24, 1845, James Polk Johnson was still a child when his family moved to Texas in search of a better life. As a teenager he served in the Civil War and then joined his uncles Tom and Sam Ealy Johnson in their cattle droving . . . — Map (db m127310) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 11961 — Angleton Independent School District
On September 5, 1892, two Angleton residents donated one of the original town blocks near this site to the city for school purposes. Citizens contributed two hundred dollars for a frame building to house the first classes for Angleton students and . . . — Map (db m129301) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 9533 — Old Brazoria County Courthouse
Angleton's first permanent courthouse was built in 1897, a year after the city was chosen Brazoria County seat. Constructed from plans originally drawn for the Matagorda County courthouse, the structure was enlarged and extensively remodeled in . . . — Map (db m120661) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 13337 — Robert J. Calder
Robert James Calder was born in 1810 to James H. and Jane E. (Caldwell) Calder in Baltimore, Maryland. His father died when he was a child, and Robert and his mother moved to Kentucky, where he was raised in part by his mother's family. They moved . . . — Map (db m120660) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Bonney — Homesite of General Albert Sidney Johnston
Home site of General Albert Sidney Johnston Texas patriot - Confederate hero Erected by San Jacinto Chapter Daughters of the Republic of Texas and Robert E. Lee, Oran M. Roberts and Jefferson Davis Chapters United Daughters of the . . . — Map (db m129402) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), West Columbia — First Capitol of the Republic of Texas
Site of First Capitol of Republic of Texas 1836 - 1837 — Map (db m129404) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8693 — Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
This parish traces its origin to Episcopal services held in nearby Millican in 1864. A yellow fever epidemic in the Millican area prompted the relocation of the Saint Andrew's Mission to Bryan in 1867. A parish was formed that year and led by The . . . — Map (db m129293) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 15825 — The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan
Bryan was platted on land granted to the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1859. In 1900, a second railroad, the Calvert, Waco & Brazos Valley (CW & BV) was built through Bryan by George Gould. The CW & BV built a depot here in 1900; besides train . . . — Map (db m119629) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Academic Building
The Academic Building (1914) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke, '86 and Samuel E. Gideon, after Old Main was destroyed by fire in 1912. The beaux-arts classical design is a four-storied reinforced concrete structure faced with . . . — Map (db m120269) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Chemistry Building
The Chemistry Building (1929) was designed by S. C. P. Vosper, using classical design proportions and details. It was extended to the east in 1981 and 1988. The ornamentation uses a variety of color schemes in tile patterns inspired from the art of . . . — Map (db m120273) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8674 — College Station Railroad Depots
In 1871 Texas Governor Edmund Davis appointed three Commissioners to select a site for the newly established Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M College). The Commissioners chose this location in large part because of the . . . — Map (db m119630) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13065 — Early Play-By-Play Radio Broadcast of a College Football Game
In 1920, David J. Finn and other Texas A&M electrical engineering students attempted to broadcast the football game at Oklahoma A&M via ham radio. When the plan failed they used a telephone backup, relaying game updates to fans gathered in the Texas . . . — Map (db m119624) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8675 — Early Texas A&M Campus Housing
When Texas A&M University opened in 1876, it was four miles from Bryan, the nearest town, and the need for campus housing for faculty and staff arose. The first of the campus houses, five brick homes along the east side of Throckmorton Street, were . . . — Map (db m119625) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Francis Hall
Rolland Adelsperger, College Architect and Professor of Architecture and Architectural Engineering designed Francis Hall in a highly distinctive romanesque style in 1913 for the School of Veterinary Medicine. The proposed design exceeded the . . . — Map (db m120274) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — History Building
The History Building was erected in 1922 as the Agriculture Building and housed the Dean of Agriculture for about ten years. Architect E. B. La Roche used a classical revival style with a strong base, rusticated brick main floor, and two-story . . . — Map (db m120275) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — K. K. Legett Hall Centennial
Built in 1911, Legett Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and one of two remaining along Military Walk. Named for Judge Kirvin Kade Legett (1857-1926) of Abilene, President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas Board of . . . — Map (db m120270) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13369 — Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University opened in October 1876 and established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its Congressional mandate to teach military tactics. The students at what was then an all-male institution were required to serve in the corps and follow . . . — Map (db m119627) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Nagle Hall
Nagle Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus, constructed in 1909 as the Civil Engineering building. Renamed in 1929 for James C. Nagle, the first dean of the School of Engineering. The design maintains the campus' distinct classical . . . — Map (db m120268) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Sbisa Dining Hall
Sbisa Dining Hall (1913) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke to replace the castle-like 1897 mess hall that burned in 1911. It anchors the north end of Military Walk whose south terminus was Guion Assembly Hall (1918-1971). A . . . — Map (db m120271) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8698 — Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
Soon after its opening in 1876, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M) established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its mandate to instruct its students (all-male until the early 1960s) in military science. A&M contributed more . . . — Map (db m119628) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 18810 — Texas AMC and WWI
World War I allowed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas to expand beyond military training and directly contribute to the war effort with staff and students volunteering for service in large numbers. Students first served for other . . . — Map (db m126521) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Williams Administration Building
The Williams Building (1932) was designed by architect S. C. P. Vosper in a classical revival style as the headquarters for the Texas A&M System. The building faced the new state highway symbolizing the shift from train to automobile travel. The . . . — Map (db m120276) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Millican — 8688 — Millican, C.S.A.
Millican was Texas' northernmost railroad terminus when the war between the states began in 1861. It became a vital Confederate shipping point for the area extending to the Red River on the north and to the frontier settlements in the west. The . . . — Map (db m119607) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 872 — City Building
Erected in 1893. Oldest public school building standing in Alpine. Abandoned as school in 1910. Later served as a hospital, college dormitory, Border Patrol station and U.S. Agricultural and Soil Conservation Service. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m139127) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 17697 — J. C. Bird
Julius Canselor Bird (1863-1925) was born in Round Mountain (Blanco Co.), and came to West Texas at age 18 as a Texas Ranger, protecting crews during construction of the transcontinental railroad. J.C. then homesteaded and ranched on ten sections of . . . — Map (db m139126) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7553 — Burleson County
Farmed early as 1744 by Indians under guidance of Spanish missionaries. In 1830, Ft. Tenoxtitlan, guarding Brazos crossing, San Antonio Road, attracted Anglo-Texans, who lived off wild game in early years. County created and organized in 1846. . . . — Map (db m129339) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7555 — Burleson County, C.S.A.
On Feb. 23, 1861, citizens voted for secession, 422 to 84. On March 1, the "Burleson Guards" organized and offered its services to the state. Most "Guards" were mustered into Co.G, 2nd Texas Infantry Regt., and others served in Walker's Texas . . . — Map (db m125671) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7571 — Elizabeth Chapel Methodist ChurchOne Mile North to Site of
First Methodist Church in the county. Began as Sunday School in home of Isaac Addison, early settler. Later moved to home of Mrs. Elizabeth Scott. Organized about 1839 by Robt. Alexander, famous pioneer minister. Soon a small, hand-hewn frame . . . — Map (db m129340) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 8634 — Fort Tenoxtitlan"Dream Capital of Texas" — (Site About 8 Miles Northeast) —
Founded by Mexico as a bulwark against Anglo-American immigration, this fort and its nearby city were twice proposed for the capital of Texas. Alarmed by the influx of Anglo settlers into Texas, Mexico in 1830 sought to erect a line of forts to . . . — Map (db m129343) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4938 — Site of the Town of Indianola1844-1886
First called by German immigrants Karlshaven, an important port of Texas. Cargoes of ships were hauled to and from points in Texas and Mexico by carts until 1860 when the San Antonio and Mexico Gulf Railroad and the Indianola Railroad were completed . . . — Map (db m120706) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17226 — The Chihuahua Road
Between 1844 and 1887, Indianola grew to become a cosmopolitan port city that was second only to Galveston. Indianola became a port for trade and was the eastern terminus of the Chihuahua Road that traveled overland from the mines of Chihuahua city . . . — Map (db m120703) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17475 — The Great Camel Experiment
No immigrants arriving in Indianola were quite as exotic as the seventy-five camels that came ashore in 1856 and 1857 from Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey. As early as 1836, politicians, diplomats and the military were considering the importation . . . — Map (db m120677) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Magnolia Beach — 5952 — Zimmerman Cemetery(One Mile Southeast)
The earliest marked grave in the Zimmerman Cemetery, that of Georchim Wedig, is dated 1852. In 1863, Wedig's daughter Katherine married John Gonzales (1838-1918), who had come to Indianola in 1858 with Joseph Mendez (d. . . . — Map (db m120713) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3855 — Olivia
Established in 1892, the community of Olivia was named for Olivia Haterius, wife of the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius, a Swedish Lutheran minister who bought land in the area and advertised a new settlement to other Swedish immigrants in the Midwest. . . . — Map (db m120734) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3856 — Olivia Cemetery
In 1892, the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius of Galesburg, Illinois, acquired land at this site with the intention of establishing a community for Swedish settlers. He named the settlement for his wife, Olivia. When the townsite was laid out in 1893, land . . . — Map (db m120735) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17992 — Battle of Norris Bridge
In November of 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, the Union Army arrived in Calhoun County. Union and Texas troops rarely met on the field of battle in Texas, as most of the war was concentrated in the east and south of the country. The Union . . . — Map (db m120714) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 12452 — Calhoun County Hurricanes
Severe storms with high winds, heavy rains and tidal surges, hurricanes have played a significant role in events that shaped Calhoun County's history. Entire towns, including Indianola (a key Gulf seaport and Calhoun County seat) and Saluria . . . — Map (db m120674) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17137 — Calhoun County Participation During World War II
Before World War II, Calhoun County was primarily involved in farming, ranching and commercial seafood but after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the county became a major participant in the war effort. In November 1940, much of the county's shoreline . . . — Map (db m120676) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17477 — Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr.
In the mid-twentieth century, Calhoun County was beginning an unprecedented period of growth. Howard G. Hartzog, Sr. was an active community leader who guided the county as a private citizen, county judge and as a state representative by diligently . . . — Map (db m120672) HM
Texas (Cameron County), Brownsville — 16054 — Last Battle of the Civil War
At this site the last battle of the Civil War, known as Palmito Hill, was fought by Confederate troops under Colonel John S. (Rip) Ford and Union Forces on May 13, 1865, 34 Days After Lee's Surrender at Appomatox — Map (db m118442) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9118 — Chambers County
Formed from Jefferson and Liberty counties. Created February 12, 1858. Organized August 2, 1858. Named in honor of General Thomas Jefferson Chambers 1802-1865 The first and only superior judge of Texas before the Revolution. Member of . . . — Map (db m121264) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9117 — Chambersea
Built in 1845. Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers, early civic and business leader whose love for Texas was proclaimed by the "Star" window in the west gable. The modest board-and-batten pioneer house has another unique feature in the graceful, . . . — Map (db m121263) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12651 — Graydon
The farming community of Graydon flourished along the west fork of Double Bayou at the turn of the century. Benjamin F. Sterling (1831-1917), one of the earliest settlers in the area, brought his family here in 1869. He is credited . . . — Map (db m121360) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9116 — Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers1802 - 1865
Surveyor General of Texas, 1829. Sole superior judge of Texas before 1836. Active in the cause of independence. Member of Secession Convention, 1861. Chambersea, later Anahuac, and a Texas county were named in his honor. — Map (db m121340) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12650 — James Taylor White
A veteran of the War of 1812, James Taylor White (b.1789) migrated to this area from Louisiana in 1828. As a rancher, he developed one of the largest herds of Longhorn cattle in southeast Texas. On White's ranch in June 1832, area colonists . . . — Map (db m121266) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9126 — Lone Star Canal
Berriman Richard Garland (1840-1918), a native of Indiana, saw the need for fresh water for rice crops in east Chambers County. Garland and A. L. Williams began in 1902 acquiring land and constructing this irrigation canal. It started at the mouth . . . — Map (db m121261) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9133 — The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office
Nicholas T. Schilling, born in Bavaria on Nov. 28, 1845, came as a small child with his parents to the United States. He served in the Civil War (1861-65) as a youthful volunteer in the Maryland cavalry. In 1872, he received his M.D. degree from the . . . — Map (db m121262) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6838 — Site of Lacy's Fort
Built before 1835 as a home and trading post by Martin Lacy, Indian agent for the Mexican government. Used as a place of refuge after the massacre of the Killough family, October 5, 1838. — Map (db m121259) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 15628 — Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
Originally established as Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in 1690 by Franciscan missionaries for the purpose of Christianizing and civilizing the Neches and other Indians of the region. Reestablished in 1716. Abandoned temporarily due to French . . . — Map (db m121257) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6646 — Site of the Delaware Indian Village
Noted as interpreters and messengers of peace, the Delawares were chiefly instrumental in bringing other tribes to the General Treaty at Bird's Fort (in the present county of Tarrant) in 1843. — Map (db m121258) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6962 — Zebulon Pike Campsite
In 1807, under commission from Gen. James Wilkinson, Governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lt. Zebulon Pike led an expedition to explore the headwaters of the Arkansas and Red Rivers and to report on Spanish settlements in the New Mexico area. . . . — Map (db m121256) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Maydelle — 12639 — Maydelle
In 1906, the Texas State Railroad built to this area for timber to fuel iron manufacturing at the penitentiary in Rusk. The branch prison established at the railhead was called Camp Wright. When Rusk native Thomas Campbell became governor, he . . . — Map (db m128989) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Maydelle — 6899 — Mewshaw State Sawmill and Maydell CCC Camp
In operation from 1908 to 1912, the Mewshaw State Sawmill at this site produced 35,000 board feet of lumber daily and was staffed by convict laborers from the nearby Rusk Penitentiary. The village of Maydelle later developed on the rail line that . . . — Map (db m128987) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Rusk — 6847 — Little Bean's Cherokee Village
In the winter of 1819-1820 Chief John Bowles led about sixty Cherokee families from Arkansas to East Texas. Near this site a small settlement of about six families was established by a Cherokee leader named Little Bean. They remained until 1839, . . . — Map (db m128988) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Rusk — 6916 — Site of Sam Houston Speeches
Two speeches were delivered by Sam Houston in Rusk. The first, in 1855, was a debate with politician Frank Bowden. Houston, a U.S. Senator, was on a tour through central and east Texas trying to regain public favor after voting against the . . . — Map (db m128992) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Rusk — 6864 — Site of the Union Hotel/Bracken House/Acme Hotel
The first hotel to occupy this site was the Union Hotel, a wood frame building erected in 1849. Renamed Bracken House for a subsequent owner, it continued to serve the city until 1889. Civil War General Joseph L. Hogg, father of future Governor . . . — Map (db m128991) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Rusk — 6685 — Texas State Railroad
In the late 1880s the Texas Prison System built a short rail line from the state penitentiary facility in north Rusk, southwestward to hardwood timber stands, where charcoal was made for use in firing the prison's iron ore smelting furnaces. The . . . — Map (db m128990) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 8827 — Abram Alley Log Cabin
In the 1820s, Abram Alley (d. 1862) came from Missouri to join his brothers in Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300” colony. He settled a few miles south of here on the east side of the Colorado, and in 1835 married Nancy Millar (1817-1893), of . . . — Map (db m130387) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 980 — City of Columbus
Oldest surveyed and platted Anglo-American town in Texas. About Christmas, 1821, Robert and Joseph Kuykendall and Daniel Gilleland settled at this place-in vicinity of old Indian campgrounds on Mexico-to-Sabine River Trail. Stephen F. Austin had . . . — Map (db m130348) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 974 — Colorado CountyCity of Columbus
Site of projected capitol of Stephen F. Austin's colony, 1823. First settlement at this point shown on Stephen F. Austin's map of 1835 as Montezuma. The municipality of Colorado was created by the provisional government of Texas . . . — Map (db m130393) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 8829 — Colorado County Courthouse
This classic revival building - erected in 1890-1891 in form of a Greek cross - is now one of 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas' 254 counties. Contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnson built the structure of brick and Belton stone. Local . . . — Map (db m130392) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 983 — Columbus State Bank
History is preserved in this structure. At founding (1919), this institution, in erecting its bank, retained a wall of 1857 Boedecker Building that had housed many ventures, including city's first bank (1875). In 1969 rebuilding, Columbus State Bank . . . — Map (db m130347) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 2392 — Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris House
Dilue Rose and Ira Albert Harris moved from Houston to Columbus in 1845. Ira served as County Sheriff and City Marshall, and Dilue wrote of her experiences during the Texas Revolution, later published. They built this house in 1858 and lived in it . . . — Map (db m130388) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 2393 — Dilue Rose Harris
Dilue Rose Harris (1825-1914) is best known for her journal writings concerning events of the Texas Revolution. Her 30,000 word "Reminiscences" were published in the "quarterly" of the Texas State Historical Association, and have provided a valuable . . . — Map (db m130390) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 1406 — Ehrenwerth-Ramsey-Untermeyer Building
Henry M. Ehrenwerth built this two-story commercial structure in 1873-75 of bricks from a local kiln. Designed for his mercantile store, it housed L.G. Smith's Red Elk Saloon and Gambling Hall in the 1880s. In 1896 the building was purchased by . . . — Map (db m130346) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 149 — Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the American Declaration of Independence
Most of the "Old Three Hundred" settlers in Stephen F. Austin's first Texas colony in the early 1820s came from the United States and were proud of their Anglo-American Heritage. Austin discouraged any display of American loyalties which might anger . . . — Map (db m130386) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 1193 — William B. DeWees(1799-1878)
Early Texas settler. Came here from Kentucky, 1822, when Texas was part of Mexico. Received a large land grant in 1824 as one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. Worked as blacksmith and trader. After Columbus was burned in Texas . . . — Map (db m130389) HM
Texas (Colorado County), Columbus — 3332 — William Menefee
William L. Menefee, born ca. 1796 in Knox County, Tennessee, served in the Tennessee Militia in the War of 1812. He studied law and was admitted to the bar sometime prior to 1824 when he moved to Alabama. In 1830 he and his wife Agnes (Sutherland) . . . — Map (db m130391) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 18087 — 1915 New Braunfels Post Office
The old post office of New Braunfels was built during the full-scale 20th century transformation of the United States Postal System. Programs like the United States Postal Savings System, parcel post, airmail, and improved rural delivery services . . . — Map (db m130116) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 986 — Comal County
Formed from Travis and Bexar land districts Created March 24,1846 Organized July 13, 1846 Named for the river so called from the pancake shape of the islands formed by its springs New Braunfels, county seat established March . . . — Map (db m130112) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 988 — Comal County, C.S.A.
Manufacturing and supply center in Civil War. The local newpaper urged southern cause so strongly that 1861 vote was 239 to 86 favoring secession. More than 300 Confederate soldiers enlisted here. The "Texas Mounted Rifles" of Capt. Theodore . . . — Map (db m130117) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 14099 — Early Settlers' Home
Situated on lot deeded to colonist Christoph Luentzel. Adobe brick and cedar beam house was begun about 1850 by Heinrich Bevenroth (d. 1850), and enlarged by later owners Heinrich C. C. Pohlmann, Mrs. Elisabeth Gehrung, Egmond . . . — Map (db m130134) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 17083 — Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile
In 1846, one year after New Braunfels was founded, a mercantile company owned by James Ferguson and Henry Hessler opened on the corner of Castell and San Antonio streets. By 1858, both men had died and Ernst Scherff, an employee, purchased the . . . — Map (db m130113) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 4632 — Hermann Seele(April 14, 1823 - March 18, 1902)
A native of Hildesheim, Hanover, Germany, Hermann Seele came to Texas in 1843. He became the fist school teacher in New Braunfels on Aug. 11, 1845, when he held class for 15 pupils beneath elm trees at the foot of this hill. Selle helped organize . . . — Map (db m130133) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 13661 — International & Great Northern Railroad in New Braunfels
As early as 1875, New Braunfels residents began petitioning rail companies to bring lines into the community. The town's first major proposal, to the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad, failed to achieve the goal. By the end of the . . . — Map (db m130119) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 3136 — Louis Henne Co.
Victorian embellishments distinguish this structure, built 1893 by noted local contractor Christian Herry. Owner Louis Henne (1840-1912) worked in the family tin shop next door, expanded to this site. Third generation now conducts this . . . — Map (db m130131) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 13018 — Main Plaza Bandstand
Following a petition by local residents, the City of New Braunfels built its Main Plaza Bandstand in 1905. Neo-classical in design, it originally served as a stage for summer evening concerts by the Waldschmidt Fire Department Band. In 1926, with . . . — Map (db m130114) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 13810 — Plumeyer Bakery Building
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, this site was home to two drugstores and a bakery. In 1913, Kathinka Clemens constructed this building to serve as a bakery for A.C. and Helen Plumeyer, who used the second floor as a residence. Known also . . . — Map (db m130130) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 4859 — Site of Old Schmitz Hotel
First portion - of local cedar and limestone - was built about 1851 by Rudolph Nauendorf. Early German immigrant Jacob Schmitz bought building in 1858 as new location of his "Guadalupe Hotel." Old World atmosphere of the inn-stagestand was . . . — Map (db m130115) HM
Texas (Comal County), New Braunfels — 18599 — Sophienburg Hill
During the Republic of Texas period, Europeans became interested in colonizing Texas. In the 1840s, a group of German noblemen formed the Adelsverein or the Society for the Protection of German Immigration in Texas. Prince Carl of . . . — Map (db m130120) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainsville — 1053 — Cooke County
Created March 20, 1848. Organized March 10, 1849. Named in honor of William G. Cooke 1808-1847 Captain of the "New Orleans Greys," 1835 Assistant Inspector General at San Jacinto, 1836 Member of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841 . . . — Map (db m121775) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Valley View — 2958 — Kiowa Raid of 1868(SW Part of County)
On Jan. 5-6, 1868, Chief Big Tree and 150 to 200 Kiowas raided Willa Walla Valley, Clear Creek and Blocker Creek. Burned homes; killed 13 people; scalped one woman alive. Captured 10 women and children; 3 escaped, 2 were ransomed. Raiders reached . . . — Map (db m121774) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1111 — Crockett County Courthouse
Built 1902. Second courthouse for county. American Gothic architecture, planned by Oscar Ruffini, San Angelo. Material is fine stone quarried nearby on Meyer and Couch properties. Cost $30,000.

Early day community social center. Used for . . . — Map (db m116313) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1112 — Crockett County Jail
Built 1892, about a year after county's organization; contractor was Z.D. Gafford of San Angelo. Building stone was quarried to north of structure, on Meyers property. Tower may have been designed for hangings, but no gallows were ever installed. . . . — Map (db m116730) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1113 — Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well
In 1923 World Oil Co., owned by Chester R. Bunker, Ft. Worth publisher and printer, began drilling on the L. P. Powell Ranch. Work progressed slowly, depending on the availability of money, under the direction of superintendent Mickey Green and the . . . — Map (db m117985) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1171 — David Crockett
(Inscription on front of monument)

.. Be sure you are right - then go ahead ..

(Inscription on rear of monument) David Crockett was born in Tennessee on August 17, 1786 Participated in the Creek Indian Campaign . . . — Map (db m116599) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1471 — Emerald Townsite(1 Mile North)
The first platted town in Crockett County, Emerald was founded in 1889 by Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway Immigration Agent T. W. Wilkinson. It was to be an agricultural shipping point on a planned extension of the F.W. & R.G. Publicized from Maine . . . — Map (db m117502) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 2451 — Henry Street Hudspeth(18? - 1900)
A Confederate veteran. Captain, Co. B. 2nd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry, Civil War. Born in Mississippi. Came to Texas, 1877. Served as county clerk after moving here, 1888. Married Elizabeth A. Royal. One of his 5 children was U.S. Congressman . . . — Map (db m126676) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 2476 — High Lonesome Stage Stand(Site 11 Miles Northeast)
First station after leaving Ozona on the San Angelo-Ozona mail line. Here, at the 20-mile point of an 86-mile run, fresh horses awaited. The stand, built in 1902, served one of Texas' last commercial stage lines.

Ten horses were kept here, as . . . — Map (db m116312) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 2861 — Joseph L. Casbeer(1839 - 1918)
A Confederate veteran. Born in Lamar County. In Civil War, was in Co. G, Col. R.T.P. Allen's Texas Infantry, and was discharged in 1865. On September 5, 1871, married Miss Matilda Peacock, in Lampasas County. They had 2 sons. Moved to . . . — Map (db m126679) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3049 — Laura and William Peery Hoover
Although Indians, Spaniards, wagon trains, and military expeditions crossed through this area earlier, the first permanent settlers in present-day Crockett County were native Texans Laura (McNutt) (1862-1941) and William Peery Hoover (1854-1922), . . . — Map (db m126680) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3775 — Old Ozona Hotel
Built about 1893. From its early days, boarded teachers, visiting athletic teams and business callers in city. Noted guests of 1919-1921 were geologists and lease men seeking to develop the now-significant oil fields of Crockett . . . — Map (db m116349) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3895 — Ozona Junior High School
The first permanent school building in Ozona; constructed of native limestone in 1910-1912, when Ozona was only 21 years old. The heating and ventilating system, never before used in the state when installed here, is still in operation daily. . . . — Map (db m116729) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3896 — Ozona National Bank
Constructed 1905 for county's first financial institution.

Organized by cattle and sheep ranchers and the town's doctor.

During construction of native stone building, banking was done next door in store of L. B. Cox, vice-president. J. . . . — Map (db m116315) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3899 — Ozona-Barnhart Trap Company
By the 1920s many ranchers in Crockett County had fenced their land, preventing their neighbors from driving sheep and cattle to the railroad shipping point in Barnhart (23 miles north of here). A solution to the problem was offered by the . . . — Map (db m116311) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3897 — Ozona's First Water Well
Focus for civic life in early Ozona. City founder E. M. Powell provided the water well equipped with 18-foot windmill, a water trough, and a small cypress tank.

At first meeting of Crockett County Commissioners Court, July 22, 1891, under a . . . — Map (db m116594) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3898 — Ozona's Water System
This site was selected for the Crockett County seat in 1891 because of a producing water well (200' northwest). Joe Moss, who drilled for water throughout the area, dug the well for E. M. Powell (1847-1925), railroad surveyor, financier, and land . . . — Map (db m116593) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 4005 — Pharis Hurst(1840 - 1927)
U.S. Army veteran of Civil War, discharged after loss of arm, siege of Vicksburg. Born in Pennsylvania. Came to Texas after war. Was a farmer-teacher-postmaster. Wives: (1) Melinde Beal; (2) Zilla Parker. Had 4 children. Lived in Ozona . . . — Map (db m117983) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 4517 — Samuel Theodore Smith(Sept. 7, 1846 - Dec. 26, 1925)
A Confederate veteran, of 18th La. Cav. Bn., Civil War. Born in Louisiana. Came to Texas in 1872; to Ozona, 1891. Built city's first school, first courthouse, Baptist church, other structures. Married Alice Crimm, March 1, 1876. Had three . . . — Map (db m126678) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5328 — The Emerald House
Although the early history of this structure is unrecorded, it is known that the house originally was built in the townsite of Emerald (9 miles east). Established in 1889 as Crockett County's first settlement, Emerald was the colonization project of . . . — Map (db m117507) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5393 — The Ozona Stockman
In 1892 Claude B. Hudspeth (1877-1941) began publication of a weekly newspaper called the "Ozona Kicker." Following his three-year ownership, Hudspeth entered politics, serving first in the Texas Legislature and later as representative from the . . . — Map (db m116348) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5398 — The Perner House
In 1893, T.L. Hammonds moved a 3-room frame house from the nearby town of Emerald to this site. In 1894, Phillip Perner (1860-1905), a local merchant, purchased and enlarged the structure. Following Perner's death, his wife, Mary Ross . . . — Map (db m127877) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5840 — William Mathias Miller(1829 - 1906)
Born in Maryland. Fought in Civil War as a Virginian in the Confederate Army, although he had brothers in the U.S. Army. He came to Texas soon after the war. Married Henrietta Norrid in Fredericksburg, August 23, 1870. Lived in Ozona in old age. . . . — Map (db m117977) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1207 — Denton County
Created April 11, 1846 from Fannin County Organized July 13, 1846 with Denton as county seat Both town and county are named in honor of John B. Denton 1807-1841 Pioneer preacher, lawyer and Indian fighter First county seat . . . — Map (db m121786) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1208 — Denton County Courthouse
Built 1896-97. Fifth courthouse for Denton County. First was at Alton, second at Pinckneyville. Third (in Denton) was burned in crime charged to a member of the Sam Bass Gang of outlaws. Walls are native limestone; columns, Burnet County . . . — Map (db m121787) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 5907 — Brayton Flying FieldWorld War II Air Training School — (4.1 mi. NE, on Hwy. FM 766) —
In 1939 when the Nazis threatened world conquest, the United States had immediate need for thousands of pilots - more than could be trained at military fields alone. Aid was enlisted from civilian flying schools. One field was established in Cuero . . . — Map (db m132551) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 14544 — Charles A. Schlinke(1863-1940)
Community leader and businessman Charles A. Schlinke played a vital role in the development of DeWitt County. Born in Posen, Germany, Schlinke immigrated to the United States with family in 1869, following his father, who settled in Weesatche . . . — Map (db m132625) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 1127 — Cuero Land and Immigration Company
On Dec. 25, 1871, Cuero Land and Immigration Company was formed to develop 4,128 acres of land from J. A. Valdez y Gonzales League (granted 1833 by Mexico). Company charter was issued Feb. 7, 1872. There were four founders and stockholders of . . . — Map (db m132550) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 1191 — De Witt County Courthouse
De Witt County organized in 1846 with Cameron as the first seat of government. Clinton was county seat from 1850 to 1876, when its two-story frame courthouse was moved to the new seat of Cuero. That building burned in April 1894. The present . . . — Map (db m132624) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 1356 — Early Texas Bandstands
This bandstand, successor to earlier ones in Cuero, is a replica of the first one erected in this park - used for concerts, patriotic meetings, bazaars, ice cream socials, political rallies, street dances. Cuero musicians won renown as official . . . — Map (db m132549) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 1834 — First Presbyterian Church of Cuero
On July 8, 1849, a group of settlers gathered together under a live oak tree at the home of Dr. Robert and Mary C. Trigg Peebles to form the Live Oak Presbyterian Church, the first Presbyterian congregation in DeWitt County. Led by the Rev. William . . . — Map (db m132588) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 1886 — First United Methodist Church of Cuero
Circuit riders held worship services for Methodists in the Cuero Creek area as early as 1841. It was not until after Cuero's incorporation in 1873, however, that a permanent Methodist church was founded here. Earliest records report eight members on . . . — Map (db m132586) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 2124 — General August C. BuchelHonoring Texas Confederate — 1811 - 1864 —
(Marker Front) Educated in stern military schools of Prussia. Was in French Legion and Army of Turkey. Knighted in Spain after work in Carlist Wars. Came to Texas 1845. In Mexican War 1846-47. Later became Port of Lavaca customs . . . — Map (db m132585) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 2236 — Grace Episcopal Church
Organized in 1874. First chapel was moved from Port Lavaca; present church, built 1889, was dedicated May 25, 1890, when the Rev. George Hinson was rector. Gothic architecture with clapboard siding, walnut interior, cedar shingle roof. . . . — Map (db m132590) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 2420 — Heaton-Breeden House
This colonial revival house was built about 1880 for the family of David H. Heaton, owner of Cuero's first drugstore. In 1924 it was purchased by prominent civic leader Charles G. Breeden, who had it remodeled to its current appearance shortly . . . — Map (db m132620) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 2731 — James Norman SmithNear Clinton Cemetery, Burial Place — (1789 - 1875) —
"Uncle Jimmy the Peacemaker." Son of Sgt. James Turner Smith, veteran of American Revolution. Born and educated in North Carolina. Lived for 32 years in Tennessee, where he taught James K. Polk, later a U.S. President. Taught first school . . . — Map (db m132587) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 15641 — Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103
In 1864, in response to the tensions surrounding the American Civil War, Justus Henry Rathbone organized the Knights of Pythias, a fraternal order. The first Texas lodge, in Houston, was assembled in 1872; two years later, the Grand Lodge of Texas . . . — Map (db m132591) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument
From Longhorn cattle gathering site, 1800 Longhorns were headed up and moved out of Cardwell Flats near here on April 1, 1866 on first Chisholm cattle drive to northern markets. Crockett Cardwell, owner of cattle bedground had gathered the herd with . . . — Map (db m132626) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 18226 — Proctor-Green House
Harvard graduate and attorney David Cogswell Proctor established his law career in Indianola, Texas, in the late 1840s. He opened a second firm in 1880 in Cuero, fortunately before the 1886 hurricane that destroyed much of Indianola. Finding his . . . — Map (db m132621) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 5058 — St. Mark's Lutheran Church
The great Gulf storm of 1875 in Indianola brought many Lutherans to Cuero. By 1880 German Lutherans were meeting for services conducted by pastors from nearby communities. The 1886 destruction of Indianola brought more Lutherans, and St. Mark's was . . . — Map (db m132559) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 5066 — St. Michael's Catholic Church
The Rt. Rev. Anthony Dominic Pellicer, first Bishop of San Antonio, established St. Michael's Parish in 1875, after the Cuero Land and Immigration Co. donated this site for a church. The name was chosen in memory of Michael O'Brien, whose widow was . . . — Map (db m132589) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Cuero — 5327 — The Edward Mügge House
Built in 1870s by a key man in the activities and ideology that gave the town of Cuero its economic leadership role in late 19th century South Texas. Edward Mügge (1839-97), a native of Germany, arrived in the now-extinct seaport of . . . — Map (db m132622) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Yorktown — 1189 — De Witt County
Created March 24, 1846 from Gonzales, Victoria and Goliad counties; Organized July 13, 1846, with Cuero as the county seat Named in honor of Green De Witt A Texas Empresario Born in Kentucky September 16, 1797 Died in . . . — Map (db m131927) HM
Texas (DeWitt County), Yorktown — 4679 — Shiloh
The small farming community of Shiloh began about 1847 with settlement by the McBride, Hamilton, McFarland, Odom, Anderson, and Woods families. In 1851 John Keith Rankin helped organize a Methodist Episcopal Church, whose members erected a building . . . — Map (db m132373) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 18142 — Estela Portillo Trambley
Estela Portillo Trambley (1926-1998), an El Paso native, was an award-winning fiction writer, playwright and poet known for her vivid portrayals of strong and independent Mexican and Mexican American women in Texas and its borderlands. Recognized as . . . — Map (db m118314) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9059 — City of Richmond
Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community "Fort Settlement." Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land . . . — Map (db m126518) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8981 — Constantine W. BuckleyTexas Confederate Legislator — (1815 - 1865) —
Came to Texas from Georgia, 1838. Clerk, Republic of Texas State Department. Prominent Fort Bend County planter, lawyer, district judge and legislator. Served as one of the speakers of Texas House of Representatives in critical Civil War years, . . . — Map (db m126513) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8990 — Early Courthouse Square
This square was deeded in 1838 to Fort Bend County by Robert E. Handy and William Lusk, founders of Richmond. It was site of 1850-1871 and 1888-1909 courthouses. Completed here 1888 was a two-story brick Victorian courthouse with bell tower and . . . — Map (db m126515) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9065 — Erastus ("Deaf") Smith(April 17, 1787 - November 30, 1837)
Most famous scout in Texas War for Independence. Obeyed Gen. Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto Battle Cry: "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down." A native of New York, Smith settled in 1821 in San . . . — Map (db m126519) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8995 — Fort Bend County Jail
Completed in 1897, this structure was the third jail building in Fort Bend County. Built to communicate strength and justice to the area's lawless elements, the imposing Romanesque revival style structure features terra cotta decoration and massive . . . — Map (db m129330) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8615 — H. Schumacher Oil Works
Henry Schumacher (1832-1901), a native of Germany, opened one of the first cottonseed oil mills in this region in 1873, assembling the machinery with only the aid of an old encyclopedia. The oil works produced cottonseed oil, meal, and cake, and . . . — Map (db m126532) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9006 — Jane Long Boarding House
Born in Maryland in 1798, Jane H. Wilkinson moved to Mississippi (1811) and became the ward of her famous relative, Gen. James Wilkinson, field commander of the United States Army. Jane married Dr. James Long in 1815 and later followed him on a . . . — Map (db m126517) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9008 — John McNabb
Member of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841 Born in Scotland Died April 27, 1894 — Map (db m126525) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9009 — McNabb House
Phillip Vogel, a German merchant, built this residence in the 1850s. It reflects the simple Greek revival style popular at the time. A. D. McNabb, owner of a saddlery shop, bought the property in 1887. He married Charlien Gloyd, daughter of . . . — Map (db m129331) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 15563 — Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar • The Father of Education in Texas • Born in Georgia August 16, 1798 • Founded the Columbus Enquirer • Came to Texas in 1836 • He commanded the cavalry at the Battle of San Jacinto • Served successively as Secretary of War, . . . — Map (db m126864) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9050 — Morton Lodge No. 72, A. F. & A. M.
Organized in 1850, the Morton Masonic Lodge was chartered on January 24, 1851. Named for "Old 300" colonist and Mason William Morton, the Lodge began with twenty charter members. The first lodge hall, located on Jackson Street, was replaced in 1855 . . . — Map (db m126524) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 9066 — Thomas Jefferson Smith
Born in Virginia 1808, reared in Georgia. Fought in Texas War for Independence, 1836, under James W. Fannin at Refugio Mission. Captured at Goliad, was spared to repair guns for Mexican Army. Escaped during Battle of San Jacinto. Settled in . . . — Map (db m126526) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8982 — Walter Moses Burton(August 9, 1840 - June 4, 1913)
Born a slave in North Carolina, Walter Moses Burton was brought to Texas about 1860. At the end of the Civil War, he purchased land from his former owner, Thomas B. Burton, from whom he had also learned to read and write. Walter Burton became a . . . — Map (db m126527) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Rosenberg — 9003 — Mirabeau Buonaparte LamarPresident of the Republic of Texas
Born 1798 in Georgia. Came to Texas 1835. Became involved immediately in movement for independence from Mexico. Upon fall of the Alamo and news of Goliad Massacre, joined Texas Army as a private, as Houston moved eastward toward San Jacinto. In . . . — Map (db m126520) HM

794 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 594
Paid Advertisement