F. L. Atherton, Harness Maker, operated on the
town square for many years. “Fred,” the plaster
model horse, stood silently outside the shop
displaying the wares. In 1951 "Fred” was sold to
a museum in Maine. . . . — — Map (db m138908) HM
Lumber merchant and politician, Charles Connell had this house
constructed circa 1840. Its pedimented front and freestanding columns
make it a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Such houses inspired
by classical temples are rare . . . — — Map (db m139149) HM
Built circa 1868 this house is considered to be the best example of High Victorian architecture in Woodstock. The house was built on land that was originally part of the grounds of the Honourable Charles Connell House. It is possible that . . . — — Map (db m139106) HM
This Edwardian house, the home of Murray Hay,
was built in 1904. It has a decorative verandah
and a stained glass window in the dormer, facing
the scenic Meduxnekeag river. Mr. Hay was a well known businessman for many years. . . . — — Map (db m139183) HM
Built in 1839 for Hon. Charles Connell.
It represents the peak of classicism
in Woodstock architecture. It is Greek Revival,
its essence being the Greek Temple look.
Wood is used here to imitate stone.
Purchased by the Carleton County . . . — — Map (db m139176) HM
L. P. Fisher (1821-1905) was the first mayor of
Woodstock, from 1856-1880. He was a lawyer and he
advocated free public education and technical training.
Due to his advocacy he left a free public hospital (his
private residence), a . . . — — Map (db m138868) HM
In honour of
the men and women
of Canada who served
on land, sea, and air
overseas and at home
during World War II
Dedicated 8 May 2005
Lest We Forget — — Map (db m138866) WM
It has been called the "Mother
Church" because from 1800-1915
its members organized other
churches within the tri-state area.
Between 1871 and 1873, an outdoor
keyhole baptismal pool was built
of stone masonry at the site of a
natural . . . — — Map (db m133224) HM
This outstanding c. 1910 Bungalow home incorporates many Arts & Crafts design elements
including battered porch columns, 3-over-1 window sash, and a low pitched roof. It was built at the
beginning of mini-building boom in Burlington that lasted . . . — — Map (db m133142) HM
In June 1799, Boone County's first
court set Craig's Camp as county
seat. The next year, John H. Craig and Robert Johnson donated 74 acres at the Woolper Creek site for a town they called Wilmington. Court held here in a log courthouse in Jan. . . . — — Map (db m133144) HM
Born in Covington to Italian
immigrants, he graduated from
the University of Cincinnati
in 1923. He was the director of
Institutum Divi Thomae, a medical
research foundation, from 1935 to
1988. Sperti invented well-known
pharmaceutical . . . — — Map (db m133141) HM
Boone County Courthouses Through the Years
1n 1817, Boone County replaced its first log courthouse with a brick structure, which was remodeled in 1828 and again in 1878. The present courthouse was built in 1889 for $19,740. The courthouse . . . — — Map (db m134040) HM
Boone County was established in 1799 and the County Court held its first meeting in June of that year, where The Court proceeded to fix on a place for the Seat of Justice on 74 acres offered by Robert Johnson and John H. Craig. Initially known as . . . — — Map (db m134232) HM
From its earliest days, Burlington was the hub of a community rooted in farming. Prior to World War II, the majority of people in Boone County lived and worked on farms and the livelihood of nearly everyone else was somehow connected to farming. By . . . — — Map (db m134233) HM
There has been a courthouse on this site
since 1799 and the present one is the third
built on the site. Designed by the McDonald
Brothers of Louisville, the Renaissance
Revival style building was completed for
about $20,000. The courthouse . . . — — Map (db m133151) HM
Union troops, had built forts around Covington to repel expected attack from CSA troops under Gen. Heth. Detachment of 101 CSA troops camped at Snow's Pond attacked here by scouting party of 53 USA cavalrymen Sept. 17, 1862. In the skirmish 1 Union, . . . — — Map (db m133190) HM
The Ohio River reached its peak
on Jan. 26 at 79.9 ft. surpassing
the 1884 record. Constance was the
hardest hit town in Boone Co. but
there were no fatalities. Route 8
between Constance & Taylorsport
was almost completely . . . — — Map (db m133629) HM
The exact center of the
population of the United States
in 1880 was located within a few
hundred yards of this plaque.
North latitude 39° 4' 8"
West longitude 84° 39' 40"
Population base in 1880 was
49,371,340. — — Map (db m133070) HM
American Airlines flight 383, tail
#N1996, was making an approach
in rain when it crashed into this
hillside on November 8, 1965 at
7:01 p.m. The 3-engine Boeing 727
Astrojet was en route from New York
to Cincinnati. 58 people perished
four . . . — — Map (db m133173) HM
TWA flight 128, tail #N821TW, was
making an approach in light snow
when it crashed into an orchard
approximately 1,000 feet north of
here, on November 20. 1967 at 8:57
p.m. The four-engine Convair 880
was en route from Los Angeles . . . — — Map (db m133136) HM
TWA flight 694,tail #N93211, had taken off from the airport when
it was struck by a private DC-3
& fell to the ground approximately
750 feet west of here, on January
12, 1955 at 9:04 a.m. The TWA
Martin 202A was en route to
Cleveland, Ohio & . . . — — Map (db m133123) HM
Born in Pennsylvania, he moved to
Petersburg in 1858 and lived in a
c. 1840 house at Tanner & Front Sts.
He served as justice of the peace
and operated a tavern in his home
for many years. Loder was hired as
clerk & bookkeeper at the . . . — — Map (db m133205) HM
Home site of John Pollard Gaines.
1795-1857. Fought in War of 1812.
In state legislature, 1825-36.
Major in the 1st Kentucky Cavalry and
an aide-de-camp to Gen. Winfield
Scott, in Mexican war. Elected to
Congress, 1847-49, while prisoner
of . . . — — Map (db m133213) HM
Services have been held by this
old church continuously since it
was founded in 1834 by Joseph
Cabell Harrison, first pastor. He
and cousin John Breckinridge in
1824 founded early religious paper
in Ky. A cousin of Pres. William
H. Harrison. . . . — — Map (db m133216) HM
During 1862 Confederate invasion,
rebel forces under General Basil W
Duke searched for approaches to
Cincinnati. On September 25, 1862,
over 500 attacked a federal camp
here commanded by Brig. Gen. Quincy
A. Gillmore. Many USA prisoners
were . . . — — Map (db m133217) HM
Side 1 Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) company
3541 began here in July 1935 on a former ball
park site owned by John L. Vest. Known as
Camp Bean Ridge to the 200 men stationed
here, it was 1 of 44 CCC camps in Kentucky
In all, more . . . — — Map (db m133269) HM
Few settlers ventured into the wilderness prior to the War of Independence.
Roads were barely expanded trails between settlements. The Great Western Turnpike
(now US Route 20) carried travelers west from Albany. Following ancient routes . . . — — Map (db m133581) HM
WELCOME TO ALTAMONT
The Village of Altamont and its immediate surroundings were once part of a tract of land deeded in 1630 by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer (c. 1586-1643),a wealthy 17th century Dutch diamond and pearl . . . — — Map (db m132693) HM
IN 1887, CHARLES V. BEEBE received a patent for an easy riding, swing attachment for farm equipment seats. In 1891,he moved to Altamont and opened a harness shop in the Ostrander Building, in what is now 125 Maple Avenue. In 1895, Mr. Beebe . . . — — Map (db m131475) HM
IN 1879, JAMES OSTRANDER BOUGHT a large lot on Church Street, and built a thriving shoe business. In 1882, he sold a portion of the lot to Charles Taber, who opened a tin shop on the site. Both businesses were lost in the 1886 fire, . . . — — Map (db m131455) HM
THE ALTAMONT HOSE COMPANY No. 1 was organized in May 1893, with 25 citizens appointed as members by the Village Trustees. The Company's first location was rented space at the Temperance Hall on Lincoln Avenue. In 1926, the Company . . . — — Map (db m131453) HM
ON 2 APRIL 1864, DAVID BECKER purchased an acre of land from Conrad Crounse for $400, along the newly laid railroad tracks. On
this land, Silas Hilton and Benjamin Crounse built a dry goods store, with rooms to let upstairs. The store . . . — — Map (db m131500) HM
BY 1879, THE POPULATION of Knowersville had grown sufficiently to merit the construction of a larger school, and the hamlet's third school building was constructed that year on School Street, later renamed Lincoln Avenue. The Lincoln . . . — — Map (db m131471) HM
ORSINI PARK WAS CARVED FROM LAND the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad purchased from George Severson (1794-1883) in the early 1850s for the railroad's right-of-way. In addition to the railroad tracks, the land included room for a depot, a . . . — — Map (db m131477) HM WM
St. John’s Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect
Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely . . . — — Map (db m131427) HM
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST
carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great
Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. . . . — — Map (db m131468) HM
ON 30 APRIL 1886, FIRE TORE through the business district of Knowersville, leveling all five buildings of the Lockwood Estate, including the drug and dry goods store of Davenport & Fredericks, the carriage factory of VanBenscoten & . . . — — Map (db m131465) HM
The present day hydroelectric power plant located at this site is owned and operated by the New York
Power Authority. It was constructed in 1908 when the Mohawk River was dammed, the Waterford Flight
of Locks was constructed, and the Erie Canal . . . — — Map (db m138991) HM
Prior to the construction of the New York State Barge Canal
and dam at Crescent, the Mohawk River was shallow and
fordable most of the year. For centuries, Native Americans
had crossed at this place. In 1755, during the French and
Indian War, a . . . — — Map (db m138984) HM
William Hay, a Scotsman,
was Peru's first settler. He built
his house in this vicinity in 1772.
Hay had a friendly relationship with
Benedict Arnold and witnessed
the "Battle of Valcour.” The town's
first marriage was between . . . — — Map (db m136672) HM
Fort Izard was constructed by the United States during the War of 1812 to defend Plattsburgh against a British land and sea attack from the north, and to engage the enemy forces as they journeyed southward toward Saratoga. It was occupied for a few . . . — — Map (db m137106) HM
the services rendered by
the men of
Rededicated in celebration of our bicentennial Nov. 11, 1976 — — Map (db m135980) WM
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II built the first iron furnace near this location. The blast furnace stack visible today dates to about 1871, when improvements were made to the Copake Iron Works by Frederick Miles after he purchased the site from Pomeroy. . . . — — Map (db m135848) HM
This brick building once housed bellows to drive air into the blast furnace. The Blowing Engine House , an addition to the 1840's/1850's Machine Shop, is depicted on an 1888 property map. The building's brick buttresses were constructed to keep the . . . — — Map (db m135874) HM
Producing high-quality cast iron in a charcoal-fired blast furnace required skill. Laborers constantly “charged” the furnace by wheeling carts of raw materials across the charging deck and dumping them into the charging hole at the top . . . — — Map (db m135815) HM
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II, a prominent gun manufacturer from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and his sons, established the Copake Iron Works here at the western edge of the Litchfield Iron District. The site offered all the resources essential for iron . . . — — Map (db m135768) HM
Ironworks established in 1845 by Lemuel Pomeroy; later operated by the Miles family. Ceased operation in the 1920's. Acquired by Taconic State Park in 1928.
State and National Register of Historic Places — — Map (db m135719) HM
This Greek Revival style dwelling appears on maps dating to 1858. The home was likely built in the late 1840s to early 1850s for Isaac Chesbrough, who owned the house until his death in 1893. Chesbrough was the first foreman of the Copake Iron . . . — — Map (db m135845) HM
In 1660 Medad Pomeroy accepted tools, an anvil shaped like this replica, and land in exchange for opening a blacksmith shop in Northampton, Massachusetts. That anvil was passed through many
generations of Pomeroy blacksmiths becoming a symbol of . . . — — Map (db m135717) HM
Maps dating to the mid-19th century indicate that two dwellings once stood in this location. The homes were probably built in the early 1850's. One of the houses belonged to the first owner of the Copake Iron Works, Lemuel Pomeroy II, and later to . . . — — Map (db m135871) HM
who answered the call of their country in the Great World War
The Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not perish from the Earth. --Abraham Lincoln(Names . . . — — Map (db m136010) WM
In his fantastical tale, Rip Van Winkle, Washington Irving told of how the ghosts of Captain Henry Hudson and his crew appeared once every twenty years in the Catskill mountains, across the river from here. According to the story, the Captain . . . — — Map (db m130614) HM
In July 1869, after the Church family returned to Olana from 18 months aboard, Frederic Church’s involvement in the farm’s activities increased. He completed several building projects, including the construction of a rectangular, wood-frame icehouse . . . — — Map (db m132328) HM
This panoramic image combines two photographs that show the kitchen garden and barnyard as they looked about 1900. Both photographs were taken from a location out in the field behind you (south) looking north. From the far right in the photograph, . . . — — Map (db m132329) HM
In honor of those men & women from Columbia County who served and in memory of those who died defending a country they never knew and a people they never met. Back of Marker: Korea The Forgotten War 1950-1953 Edward J. Aiken William Henry Doss . . . — — Map (db m130587) WM
Frederic Church transformed a treeless hillside into
the wooded park you see across the lake. There, on 31
acres, he planted hundreds of trees and shrubs, singly
and in clumps, in a landscape design conceived in
the Picturesque Style (a . . . — — Map (db m132074) HM
Although Frederic Church painted at his
Hudson Valley farm from the time he
purchased it in 1860, he did not build a
studio here until about 1864-65. On the
site where you are standing, he erected a
"plain but ample” 24-foot-square, . . . — — Map (db m137805) HM
When wood was the major fuel for heating and cooking, woodsheds like the one located here and elsewhere on the farm provided a place to store firewood and keep it dry. Harvested from Olana’s woodlots, trees were cut into logs and shorter lengths at . . . — — Map (db m132331) HM
Thé Mohican Blessing Fountain was erected by the New Lebanon Garden Club
in 1941 to give thanks to the Mohican Indians for their gift of the healing waters
of the thermal mineral springs to all people forever. The Mohicans were the
original . . . — — Map (db m135096) HM
A.B. Miami U.
LL. B. Cincinnati Law School
Founder- Beta Theta Pi
Member of the Society of Friends
Prosecuting Attorney of
Member of Ohio Senate
Director of B&O RR
Circuit Court-Linn Co. . . . — — Map (db m133404) HM
William H. Daugherty lived in Titusville before founding the Daugherty Refinery in Petrolia, PA.
Amalie was created in 1903 when L. Sonneborn & Sons
bought Daugherty Refinery. It was the first refiner of mineral oils in the United States.
In . . . — — Map (db m134080) HM
ATLANTIC REFINING COMPANY
1859: Charles Lockhart and William Frew came to this region to drill for oil on the south bank of the Allegheny across from the mouth of Oil Creek in Venango County. Subsequently they bought out the Tarr Farm and . . . — — Map (db m134083) HM
Edwin I. Drake, a former railroad conductor , traveled to Titusville in 1857 to find and produce oil in commercial quantities
Partnering with salt well driller and blacksmith "Uncle Billy" Smith, they persevered to strike oil in August 27, 1859 . . . — — Map (db m133796) HM
Exxon origins can be traced to Titusville's Carter Oil, founded in 1893 by John J. Carter. Irish immigrant and Civil War veteran John J. Carter was awarded athe Medal of Honor for his bravery at the Battle of Antietam. After the war, he moved to . . . — — Map (db m133824) HM
Gulf Oil was one of the many companies formed at
Spindletop in January 1901. In late 1901, James M. Guffey bought out the interests of his partners in the Lucas Well (Galey and Lucas) and formed the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company. Guffey received . . . — — Map (db m133640) HM
Ida Tarbell was one of the most famous investigative journalists in American history. She was raised in Titusville during the oil boom. Her father, Franklin Tarbell, was an oil producer and investor.
In 1872, she witnessed the destruction of her . . . — — Map (db m133624) HM
Shortly after John Heisman's birth in 1869, the Heisman family moved to Titusville where his father, Michael Heisman, was an oil investor and cooper.
John Heisman was educated at Titusville schools and
played varsity guard on the football team, . . . — — Map (db m133875) HM
The Oil Creek Refining Company was founded by Dennis
McGraw and incorporated in 1919-20.
It was a "home-owned” oil refinery and operated in East Titusville. The company was the first to market motor oil in refinery-sealed, disposable cans . . . — — Map (db m134081) HM
The Penn Drake brand was originated by the American Oil Works of Titusville.
Michael Heisman (John Heisman's father), Frank VonTacky, William Teege, and Louis Walz created the American Oil Works in Titusville in 1885.
Pennsylvania Refining . . . — — Map (db m133880) HM
The Pennzoil brand comes from a long history of foundings and mergers that date back to 1886 when local men Henry Suhr, Samuel Justus, and Louis Walz founded the Penn Refining Company
In 1914, Penn Refining merged with Germania Refining Company, . . . — — Map (db m133876) HM
In 1914, Thomas and Hopewell Phinny of Oil City created Phinny's Quaker State Medium Oil. The Phinnys were granted a trademark for Quaker State in August 1921.
Quaker State was financed and marketed by J.B. Berry Brothers of Oil City. The . . . — — Map (db m133879) HM
Anthony F. Lucas began drilling a salt dome well with the Gladys City Company near Beaumont, Texas in 1899.
When Lucas and his company ran out of money, John H. Galey and James M. Guffey, financed Lucas and formed a partnership named J.M. Guffey . . . — — Map (db m133830) HM
John D. Rockefeller organized the Standard Oil Company in 1870. He owned wells in Titusville and Cleveland and began buying refineries in Pennsylvania and Ohio. By 1882, Standard Oil controlled 90% of the entire nation's refining capacity. The . . . — — Map (db m133636) HM
Sterling Oil was created in the 1890s by P.J. Bayer as a marketing vehicle for Emlenton Refinery's "Sterling" cylinder engine and Dynamo oil for Erie and Western New York. It was acquired by Eastern Refining Company during World War I. For the . . . — — Map (db m133716) HM
Titusville residents Joseph Pew and E.O. Emerson organized the Sun Oil Company in March 1890.
Based in Pennsylvania, Sun Oil was operated by the Pew
family who became giants in refining and shipbuilding.
The company went public in 1922 and was . . . — — Map (db m133600) HM
Texaco was formed at Spindletop in 1901 by Joseph Cullinan and Arnold Schlaet as the Texas Fuel Company.
Cullinan served as president and general manager of Texaco.
Joseph Cullinan was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania and lived part of his early . . . — — Map (db m133839) HM
In 1865, Titusville residents Byron Benson, Robert Hopkins and David McKelvy started a sawmill in Enterprise (located just outside Titusville) to finance their drilling operation; which they named the Enterprise Oil and Lumber Company.
In . . . — — Map (db m134082) HM
Created in part by Cherrytree-born brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart, Union Oil Company of California was formed in 1890.
After an early start not far from here in
the Shamburg oil field, and serving in the Civil War, Lyman moved to Calfornia . . . — — Map (db m133872) HM
In 1867 Dr. John Ellis developed cylinder oils in Pennsylvania and in 1873 was awarded a trademark for Valvoline.
He marketed it as superior in quality to lard and fat in lubrication and was used by many railroads. Valvoline became the standard . . . — — Map (db m133883) HM
In 1879, A.L. Confer constructed a refining still 18 miles from here in Reno, PA called the Empire Oil Works.
He recognized a need for a better illuminating oil and used
carefully controlled temperatures to create a high-quality kerosene. In . . . — — Map (db m133887) HM
South Side inscription:
Died in Hospital:
Sergt. Romeo R. Peck
Adams H. Potter
Emerson Mayo Ja's E. Fenton
Hung by Guerillas
Alva K. Barlow
North and West side inscriptions . . . — — Map (db m136370) WM
Front side of marker In memory of Emma Hart Willard who wrote at Middlebury in 1818 the Magna Carta for higher education of women in America.
Rear side of marker
Education should seek to bring its subjects to the perfection of . . . — — Map (db m136530) HM
Joseph Alexander • Henry W. Bennett • Merrill Bentley
Bertrand W. Billings • John Brunelle • Michael Burke
John Caffrey • Roderick A. Champlin • . . . — — Map (db m136571) WM
In this house, the home of Samuel Miller, Esq., Timothy Dwight, president of Yale College, counseled with Gamaliel Painter and other citizens of Middlebury concerning the founding of Middlebury College.
This conference led to the granting of the . . . — — Map (db m136473) HM
In 1792, the Vermont Legislature ensured Middlebury’s future prominence by choosing it as the site for Addison County courts. Three courthouses have been built in this area. The original clapboard courthouse shown on the right in the photograph, was . . . — — Map (db m136662) HM
Built from the Ashes
Middlebury's Main Street has been the commercial center of the town
since its founding, but its character has changed many times, largely due
to that great public enemy of the era-fire. In the first half of the . . . — — Map (db m136661) HM
The Shire Town
Middlebury was chartered in 1761 as one of New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth’s land grants. The first settlers claimed land in the town in 1766, but were forced back to southern New England during the Revolutionary War. . . . — — Map (db m136535) HM