Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1076 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 876
 
North Side image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, July 3, 2019
North Side
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Atherton's Harness Store/Magasin de harnais de F.L. AthertonMain Street/rue Principale
On Main Street at King Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
F. L. Atherton, Harness Maker, operated on the town square for many years. “Fred,” the plaster model horse, stood silently outside the shop displaying the wares. In 1951 "Fred” was sold to a museum in Maine. . . . — Map (db m138908) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Connell House/Maison Connell
On Connell Street (New Brunswick Route 550), on the left when traveling south.
Lumber merchant and politician, Charles Connell had this house constructed circa 1840. Its pedimented front and freestanding columns make it a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Such houses inspired by classical temples are rare . . . — Map (db m139149) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — George Connell House/Maison George Connell124 Connell Street / 124, rue Connell
On Connell Street (New Brunswick Route 550) at Queen Street, on the left when traveling south on Connell Street.
Built circa 1868 this house is considered to be the best example of High Victorian architecture in Woodstock. The house was built on land that was originally part of the grounds of the Honourable Charles Connell House. It is possible that . . . — Map (db m139106) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hay House/La maison Hay134 Connell Street/134, rue Connell
On Connell Street (New Brunswick Route 550) at Green Street, on the left when traveling south on Connell Street.
This Edwardian house, the home of Murray Hay, was built in 1904. It has a decorative verandah and a stained glass window in the dormer, facing the scenic Meduxnekeag river. Mr. Hay was a well known businessman for many years. . . . — Map (db m139183) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hon. Charles Connell House/La maison Charles Connell128 Connell Street/128, rue Connell
On Connell Street (New Brunswick Route 550), on the left when traveling south.
Built in 1839 for Hon. Charles Connell. It represents the peak of classicism in Woodstock architecture. It is Greek Revival, its essence being the Greek Temple look. Wood is used here to imitate stone. Purchased by the Carleton County . . . — Map (db m139176) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher679 Main Street/679, rue Principale
On Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
L. P. Fisher (1821-1905) was the first mayor of Woodstock, from 1856-1880. He was a lawyer and he advocated free public education and technical training. Due to his advocacy he left a free public hospital (his private residence), a . . . — Map (db m138868) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Woodstock World War II Memorial
On King Street, on the right when traveling east.
In honour of the men and women of Canada who served on land, sea, and air overseas and at home during World War II 1939-1945 Dedicated 8 May 2005 60th anniversary V-E Day Lest We Forget — Map (db m138866) WM
Kentucky (Boone County), Bullittsburg — 2367 — Bullittsburg Baptist Church
On Bullittsburg Church Road (Kentucky Route 8) near Interstate 275, on the left when traveling north.
It has been called the "Mother Church" because from 1800-1915 its members organized other churches within the tri-state area. Between 1871 and 1873, an outdoor keyhole baptismal pool was built of stone masonry at the site of a natural . . . — Map (db m133224) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Duncan HouseBurlington Historical District — c. 1910 —
On Gallatin Street, on the right when traveling west.
This outstanding c. 1910 Bungalow home incorporates many Arts & Crafts design elements including battered porch columns, 3-over-1 window sash, and a low pitched roof. It was built at the beginning of mini-building boom in Burlington that lasted . . . — Map (db m133142) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — 2412 — From Craig’s Camp / To Burlington
On Kentucky Route 18 at Kentucky Route 338, on the right when traveling west on State Route 18.
In June 1799, Boone County's first court set Craig's Camp as county seat. The next year, John H. Craig and Robert Johnson donated 74 acres at the Woolper Creek site for a town they called Wilmington. Court held here in a log courthouse in Jan. . . . — Map (db m133144) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — 2415 — George Speri Sperti (1900-1991) / Boonetucky Farm
Near Sperti Lane, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Covington to Italian immigrants, he graduated from the University of Cincinnati in 1923. He was the director of Institutum Divi Thomae, a medical research foundation, from 1935 to 1988. Sperti invented well-known pharmaceutical . . . — Map (db m133141) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYThe New County Seat
Near Washington Street (Kentucky Route 18) at Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling west.
Boone County Courthouses Through the Years 1n 1817, Boone County replaced its first log courthouse with a brick structure, which was remodeled in 1828 and again in 1878. The present courthouse was built in 1889 for $19,740. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m134040) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYSettling In and Getting Around
Near Washington Street (Kentucky Route 18) near Jefferson Street (Kentucky Route 338).
Boone County was established in 1799 and the County Court held its first meeting in June of that year, where The Court proceeded to fix on a place for the Seat of Justice on 74 acres offered by Robert Johnson and John H. Craig. Initially known as . . . — Map (db m134232) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYMaking a Living...
Near Washington Street (Kentucky Route 18) near Jefferson Street, on the right.
From its earliest days, Burlington was the hub of a community rooted in farming. Prior to World War II, the majority of people in Boone County lived and worked on farms and the livelihood of nearly everyone else was somehow connected to farming. By . . . — Map (db m134233) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Old Boone County CourthouseBurlington Historic District — 1889 —
On Kentucky Route 18 at Kentucky Route 338, on the right when traveling west on State Route 18.
There has been a courthouse on this site since 1799 and the present one is the third built on the site. Designed by the McDonald Brothers of Louisville, the Renaissance Revival style building was completed for about $20,000. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m133151) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Florence — 550 — Skirmish at Florence
On Dixie Highway (U.S. 25) at U.S. 42, on the right when traveling south on Dixie Highway.
Union troops, had built forts around Covington to repel expected attack from CSA troops under Gen. Heth. Detachment of 101 CSA troops camped at Snow's Pond attacked here by scouting party of 53 USA cavalrymen Sept. 17, 1862. In the skirmish 1 Union, . . . — Map (db m133190) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 2393 — 1937 Flood at Constance / Anderson Ferry
On Kentucky Route 8, on the left when traveling east.
1937 Flood The Ohio River reached its peak on Jan. 26 at 79.9 ft. surpassing the 1884 record. Constance was the hardest hit town in Boone Co. but there were no fatalities. Route 8 between Constance & Taylorsport was almost completely . . . — Map (db m133629) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 1640 — Center of Population of U.S. in 1880
Near Kentucky Route 236, on the right when traveling south.
The exact center of the population of the United States in 1880 was located within a few hundred yards of this plaque. North latitude 39° 4' 8" West longitude 84° 39' 40" Population base in 1880 was 49,371,340. — Map (db m133070) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 2343 — Crash of AA 383
On Kentucky Route 8, on the right when traveling east.
American Airlines flight 383, tail #N1996, was making an approach in rain when it crashed into this hillside on November 8, 1965 at 7:01 p.m. The 3-engine Boeing 727 Astrojet was en route from New York to Cincinnati. 58 people perished four . . . — Map (db m133173) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — Crash of TWA Flight 128
On Petersburg Road (Kentucky Route 20) at Aviation Boulevard, on the left when traveling east on Petersburg Road.
TWA flight 128, tail #N821TW, was making an approach in light snow when it crashed into an orchard approximately 1,000 feet north of here, on November 20. 1967 at 8:57 p.m. The four-engine Convair 880 was en route from Los Angeles . . . — Map (db m133136) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 2380 — Crash of TWA Flight 694
On North Bend Road (Kentucky Route 237) at Wright Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on North Bend Road.
TWA flight 694,tail #N93211, had taken off from the airport when it was struck by a private DC-3 & fell to the ground approximately 750 feet west of here, on January 12, 1955 at 9:04 a.m. The TWA Martin 202A was en route to Cleveland, Ohio & . . . — Map (db m133123) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Petersburg — 2459 — Lewis Loder (1819-1905) / Petersburg Distillery
On Front Street west of Tanner Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Pennsylvania, he moved to Petersburg in 1858 and lived in a c. 1840 house at Tanner & Front Sts. He served as justice of the peace and operated a tavern in his home for many years. Loder was hired as clerk & bookkeeper at the . . . — Map (db m133205) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Richwood — 4194 — Major John P. Gaines
On Richwood Road (Kentucky Route 338), on the right when traveling west.
Home site of John Pollard Gaines. 1795-1857. Fought in War of 1812. In state legislature, 1825-36. Major in the 1st Kentucky Cavalry and an aide-de-camp to Gen. Winfield Scott, in Mexican war. Elected to Congress, 1847-49, while prisoner of . . . — Map (db m133213) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Richwood — 1387 — Richwood Presbyterian Church
On Route 338 at Richwood Church Road, on the right when traveling west on Route 338.
Services have been held by this old church continuously since it was founded in 1834 by Joseph Cabell Harrison, first pastor. He and cousin John Breckinridge in 1824 founded early religious paper in Ky. A cousin of Pres. William H. Harrison. . . . — Map (db m133216) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Walton — 2023 — Skirmish at Snow’s Pond
On Dixie Highway (U.S. 25) 0.3 miles south of Logistics Boulevard, on the left when traveling south.
During 1862 Confederate invasion, rebel forces under General Basil W Duke searched for approaches to Cincinnati. On September 25, 1862, over 500 attacked a federal camp here commanded by Brig. Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore. Many USA prisoners were . . . — Map (db m133217) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Walton — 2510 — Walton CCC Camp Bean Ridge
On School Road at Alta Vista Drive, on the right when traveling south on School Road.
Side 1 Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) company 3541 began here in July 1935 on a former ball park site owned by John L. Vest. Known as Camp Bean Ridge to the 200 men stationed here, it was 1 of 44 CCC camps in Kentucky In all, more . . . — Map (db m133269) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — 6 — Lancaster N. H.: Stories of People and PlacesWilder-Holton House
On Route 3 at U.S. 2, on the right when traveling south on Route 3.
The house was built by Jonas Wilder in 1780 and served as a place for town and religious meetings as well as an inn for travelers. The Holton family later acquired it and owned it for over a century. In 1964 the Holton family sold the house to . . . — Map (db m140029) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stewartstown — Stewartstown Honor Roll
Honor Roll of Stewartstown, NH Dedicated to those who served in the armed forces. World War 1,World War 2, Korea Vietnam, Lebanon, Panama, Persian Gulf War Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom names . . . — Map (db m140470) WM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stratford — Stratford N.H. War Memorials
On Main Street at Town Commons Road, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
These monuments were erected by the citizens of Stratford, N.H. in commemoration to the men and women of the area who served their country in the armed services during World War II and succeeding wars. — Map (db m140466) WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Plastic
On Delaware Avenue.
Celluloid-invented 1868 by John Wesley Hyatt First Use- Billiard Balls Albany Billiard Ball Co. — Map (db m129994) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Park
On Eagle Street at Pine Street on Eagle Street.
In 1886 the site was unimproved: “wild and rugged in every respect.” Formerly known as Delaware Square, Delaware Park, Beaver Park — Map (db m131656) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The King’s HighwayRoute of
On Kings Road at Old State Road, on the right when traveling south on Kings Road.
First Dutch road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663 — Map (db m127902) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Uncle Dan
On South Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) at Second Avenue, on the right on South Pearl Street.
One Second Avenue birthplace of Daniel P. O'Connell November 13, 1885. Albany Democratic leader 1923 to 1977. — Map (db m131671) HM
New York (Albany County), Alcove — Paper Mills
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 111, on the left when traveling west on State Route 143.
1818 Ephraim Andrews acquires cloth dressing and wool carding mills. By 1850 John E. Andrews establishes a straw paper making mill — Map (db m131759) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 27 — AltamontMuseum In The Streets — Knowersville —
On Gun Club Road at Main Street (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling north on Gun Club Road.
Few settlers ventured into the wilderness prior to the War of Independence. Roads were barely expanded trails between settlements. The Great Western Turnpike (now US Route 20) carried travelers west from Albany. Following ancient routes . . . — Map (db m133581) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont, New YorkThe Museum in the Streets
On Main Street (New York State Route 146) at Gun Club Road, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
WELCOME TO ALTAMONT The Village of Altamont and its immediate surroundings were once part of a tract of land deeded in 1630 by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer (c. 1586-1643),a wealthy 17th century Dutch diamond and pearl . . . — Map (db m132693) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 10 — Beebe Harness Shop
On Maple Avenue.
IN 1887, CHARLES V. BEEBE received a patent for an easy riding, swing attachment for farm equipment seats. In 1891,he moved to Altamont and opened a harness shop in the Ostrander Building, in what is now 125 Maple Avenue. In 1895, Mr. Beebe . . . — Map (db m131475) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Dedicated
On Main Street.
Dedicated to those who served our country in all wars. For the glory of God and American independence. — Map (db m131474) WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 12 — Enterprise Building
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
IN 1879, JAMES OSTRANDER BOUGHT a large lot on Church Street, and built a thriving shoe business. In 1882, he sold a portion of the lot to Charles Taber, who opened a tin shop on the site. Both businesses were lost in the 1886 fire, . . . — Map (db m131455) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 11 — Fire Department/Village HallAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146) when traveling west.
THE ALTAMONT HOSE COMPANY No. 1 was organized in May 1893, with 25 citizens appointed as members by the Village Trustees. The Company's first location was rented space at the Temperance Hall on Lincoln Avenue. In 1926, the Company . . . — Map (db m131453) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 8 — Home Front CafeAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Main Street (New York State Route 156), on the right when traveling west.
ON 2 APRIL 1864, DAVID BECKER purchased an acre of land from Conrad Crounse for $400, along the newly laid railroad tracks. On this land, Silas Hilton and Benjamin Crounse built a dry goods store, with rooms to let upstairs. The store . . . — Map (db m131500) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Indian Ladder Farms
On Altamont Road (New York State Route 156), on the left when traveling west.
Established 1916 by Peter G. Ten Eyck, Congressman and Commissioner of Agriculture, operated as a dairy and apple orchard. — Map (db m135951) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 15 — Lincoln Avenue SchoolAltamont, New York — Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
BY 1879, THE POPULATION of Knowersville had grown sufficiently to merit the construction of a larger school, and the hamlet's third school building was constructed that year on School Street, later renamed Lincoln Avenue. The Lincoln . . . — Map (db m131471) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 1 — Orsini ParkAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Main Street (New York State Route 156) at Maple Avenur (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling west on Main Street.
ORSINI PARK WAS CARVED FROM LAND the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad purchased from George Severson (1794-1883) in the early 1850s for the railroad's right-of-way. In addition to the railroad tracks, the land included room for a depot, a . . . — Map (db m131477) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 16 — St. John’s Lutheran ChurchAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling west.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely . . . — Map (db m131427) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 14 — The Carriage WorksAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. . . . — Map (db m131468) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 13 — The Great FireAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Road (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
ON 30 APRIL 1886, FIRE TORE through the business district of Knowersville, leveling all five buildings of the Lockwood Estate, including the drug and dry goods store of Davenport & Fredericks, the carriage factory of VanBenscoten & . . . — Map (db m131465) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — 347 — Anti-Rent
On New York State Route 443.
Convention held here January 15 1845. Delegates from 11 counties petitioned state to end unjust land lease system — Map (db m131413) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Dedicated
On Helderberg Trail (Route 443), on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated to the of those who served in all wars — Map (db m131422) WM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Houghtaling House
On County Route 312, on the right when traveling south.
Built before 1770 by Teunis Houghtaling, born May 18, 1740 - died May 20, 1806. Listed on National Register June 28, 2004. — Map (db m135121) HM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans — CoeymansThe World War
On Westetrlo Street Extended, in the median.
A tribute to those from this town who served their country in the World War — Map (db m131674) WM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans — Coeymans
On Main Street (New York State Route 143) at Westerlo Street, in the median on Main Street.
Town formed March 18, 1791 from Watervliet. A part went to form Westerlo in 1815. Named from the patentee Barent Pieterson Coeymans — Map (db m135122) HM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans Hollow — 1780 Shear Farm
On New York State Route 143, on the left when traveling west.
Built by Israel Shear. Restored 1980 by Paul & Nancy Caswell. Placed on State Register of Historic Places October 9, 1996. National Register Dec. 6, 1996 — Map (db m131672) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Tribute
On Columbia Street (New York State Route 470) at Amity Street, on the left when traveling west on Columbia Street.
This monument is dedicated to the Men of Cohoes who on land or on sea risked their lives that this Nation might endure — Map (db m131753) WM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Continental Avenue
On Continental Avenue at Ontario Street, on the right when traveling south on Continental Avenue.
Algonquin and Mohawk Indian trail. Colonial military route. — Map (db m131687) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Fonda Cemetery
On Loudon Road (U.S. 9), on the left when traveling north.
Early Settlers at Boght and Crescent. Intermarried with Lansing's. Organized the Boght Reformed Church in 1784. Fonda Rd. is named for the family. — Map (db m129626) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — New Yorker Power Authority
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
The present day hydroelectric power plant located at this site is owned and operated by the New York Power Authority. It was constructed in 1908 when the Mohawk River was dammed, the Waterford Flight of Locks was constructed, and the Erie Canal . . . — Map (db m138991) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military CrossingLoudon’s Ford
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
British and Continental Army ford. Protected August September 1777 by Generals Enoch Poor and Benedict Arnold. — Map (db m138976) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military Crossing
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
Prior to the construction of the New York State Barge Canal and dam at Crescent, the Mohawk River was shallow and fordable most of the year. For centuries, Native Americans had crossed at this place. In 1755, during the French and Indian War, a . . . — Map (db m138984) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Andrew Hannay
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 312, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Near here Andrew Hannay raised a company of volunteers October 1777 to oppose invasion of Burgoyne who surrendered before their arrival — Map (db m135130) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville
On County Route 312 at New York State Route 143, in the median on County Route 312.
Named in honor of Daniel Dorman, an inn and store keeper, and first postmaster in 1832 — Map (db m135109) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville War Memorial
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 312, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Dedicated to the men and women of Dormansville NY who served in the wars of our country — Map (db m135134) WM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Reformed Church
On County Route 312, on the left when traveling north.
Original site of the Dutch Reformed Church organized 1793. Present location Village of Westerlo. — Map (db m136003) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Lutheran Church
On New York State Route 443, on the left when traveling west.
Organized 1790. First pastor Rev. August Friederich Meier. Frame building used until brick church constructed 1835 — Map (db m132604) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Mill Site
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Mill built here about 1765 by John and Christopher Warner — Map (db m132602) HM
New York (Albany County), Ferura Bush — Slingerland-Lagrange Farm
On LaGrange Lane 0.1 miles north of Indian Fields Road (State Highway 32), on the right when traveling north.
Slingerland- Lagrange Farm Family Owned 12 Generations. Stone House Built c.1750's. Home of Revolutionary War Soldier Albert Slingerland. — Map (db m140968) HM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Jerusalem Reformed Church
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Established 1791. First located on Route 308. Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen was pastor 1793-1825. Current edifice built 1826. — Map (db m130527) HM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Memorial
On Indian Fields Road (New York State Route 32), on the left when traveling south.
This memorial is dedicated in honor to all those who served our great country. — Map (db m130529) WM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Slingerland House 1762
On Indian Fields Road (New York State Route 32), on the left when traveling south.
Built by Tunis Cornelise Slingerland, Dutch emigrant 1650, on land purchased from Indians — Map (db m130530) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Reformed Dutch Church
On New York State Route 146 at 158, on the right when traveling west on State Route 146.
100 ft. west, site of the First Reformed Dutch Church in Guilderland. Built before 1767. First pastor Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen — Map (db m136065) HM
New York (Albany County), Guildland — The Vale of Tawasentha
On New York State Route 146, on the left when traveling west.
Iroquois name for a burial ground near mouth of the Normanskill Creek. — Map (db m131412) HM
New York (Albany County), Medusa — Medusa War Memorial
On Fox Creek Road (County Route 351), on the left when traveling west.
Lest We Forget In recognition of All who served and died For our Country — Map (db m136059) WM
New York (Albany County), Medusa — The Medusa FireMay 25, 1932
On Fox Creek Road (County Route 351), on the left when traveling west.
The fire destroyed 7 houses, the Methodist Church, and Goff's Store. — Map (db m136058) HM
New York (Albany County), New Salem — Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen Home
On New Scotland Road (New York State Route 85) at Helderhill Road, on the left when traveling west on New Scotland Road.
Original part built c. 1816. revolutionary War Captain. Served 3 area churches from 1794-1825. His descendants lived in home until 1922. — Map (db m136073) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Dr. Samuel Preston
On New York State Route 145, on the left when traveling south.
Settled here in 1789 and gave his name to Preston Hollow. He built the first sawmill and gristmill — Map (db m131419) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Whipping Post
On Route 145, on the left when traveling south.
For town located on farm of Lawrence Faulk who settled here, in 1790 and died in 1838. — Map (db m131416) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Baptist Church
On Delaware Turnpike (New York State Route 85), on the right when traveling south.
Organized Aug. 19, 1796. First ministers: Truman Beeman Ephraim Crocker Reuben Winegar Jr. Present church built in 1836 — Map (db m136128) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Episcopal Church
On Albany Hill Street (County Route 361) near County Route 351, on the right when traveling north.
Organized February 20, 1811 by Rev. Samuel Fuller, who built church in 1815 and served as Rector for thirty-one years — Map (db m136121) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Federal Library
On County Route 351, on the right.
This first library was organized March 13, 1798, with 186 subscribers and 200 books. Dissolved 1832. — Map (db m136123) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Hamlet of Rensselaerville
On Delaware Turnpike (County Route 353) at NY 85 & Albany Co. 351, on the right when traveling east on Delaware Turnpike.
Settled in 1787. Historic District on the National and New York State Registers of Historic Places — Map (db m136109) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Hans Winegar
On New York State Route 85 at County Route 351, on the left when traveling south on State Route 85.
From Stockbridge, Mass. second settler in the village built a log home on the site of the village in 1788 — Map (db m136114) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Presbyterian Church
On County Route 351, on the left when traveling east.
Organized 1792. This third church built by Ephraim B. Russ and dedicated 1843. George Goodyear, Pastor. — Map (db m136124) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Samuel JenkinsThe Father of Rensselaerville
On County Route 351 near Albany Hill Road (County Route 361), on the right when traveling east.
Known as Jenkin's Mills 1795-1896. First visited site in 1787, located 1788, built house and grist mill 1789. Died 1837 — Map (db m136126) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Kings Road, on the left when traveling east.
Military road during the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars — Map (db m127558) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s HighwayRoute of
On Kings Road, on the right when traveling south.
Became wagon road about 1663 — Map (db m127559) HM
New York (Albany County), Selkirk — Hamlet of Selkirk
On New York State Route 396 at Cottage Lane, on the left when traveling west on State Route 396.
Named for James Selkirk 1757-1820. 2nd Regiment-Line, American Revolution. Native of Scotland settled here in 1786 — Map (db m129515) HM
New York (Albany County), Selkirk — Wiltsie Farm
On New York State Route 396, on the left when traveling west.
Wm. Wiltsie of Nobletown, Columbia County and member of the Dutchess County Militia settled on this property in 1795. — Map (db m129514) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — New Scotland
On New Scotland Road (New York State Route 85) at S Road, on the left when traveling east on New Scotland Road.
New Scotland Town formed April 25, 1832 from Bethlehem. First town meeting held at home of Edmund Raynsford April 9, 1833. — Map (db m140963) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Slingerland Family Burial Vault Erected 1852
On New Scotland Road (New York State Route 85) at Kenwood Road (New York State Route 140), on the left when traveling west on New Scotland Road.
John I. 1804-1861 Congressman, abolitionist Champion of the Homestead Act — Map (db m136813) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Schoolhouse No. 10
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 85A), on the right when traveling west.
Est. as early as 1826. Replaced 1867. Additions 1892, 1911. Fondly known as “Brookview Academy". Current bldg. erected 1929. — Map (db m135120) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — In Memory of Those Who Served
On 2nd Avenue.
City of Watervliet, New York World War I Veterans (List of names) — Map (db m131683) WM
New York (Albany County), West Berne — Albany County
On New York State Route 443, on the left when traveling west.
Derived its name from the Scotch title of the Duke of York and Albany afterwards King James of England — Map (db m132596) HM
New York (Albany County), West Berne — Dwelling
On New York State Route 443, on the left when traveling west.
Built about 1800 by William Shultes — Map (db m132599) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Academy
On New York State Route 143, on the right when traveling north.
This house was the Chesterville Academy built about 1800. Gabriel Pinney, head master — Map (db m135154) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Albany County
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
One of the original counties of the Province of New York created by law November 1, 1683. Mother of many counties. — Map (db m130618) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Allen House
On Bear Swamp Road (County Route 404) at Lockwood Road, on the right when traveling east on Bear Swamp Road.
Built 1795, here and on this road lived Ebeneazer Allen and his sons Justice, Howard, and Stephen. All soldiers in Revolution — Map (db m136127) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Baptist Church
On New York State Route 143, on the right when traveling north.
Organized at Chesterville in 1800. Roswell Beckwith was first pastor. — Map (db m135162) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Beardsley House
On Switzkill Road (County Route 1), on the left when traveling west.
Home of William Beardsley. Here was held first town meeting of Westerlo, April 4, 1815. — Map (db m135143) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Business
On New York State Route 143 at Switzkill Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 143.
Built c. 1830. Family run store, post office, tin shop gas station c. 1850 -1943. Long tenured postmaster C.F. Anderson 1910 -1943. — Map (db m135157) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Doctor
On New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling south.
Dr. Jonathan Prosser of Dutchess County settled on this farm in 1788 — Map (db m129504) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Grant & Eadie
On New York State Route 143 at Myers Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Early storekeepers. Made potash at Chesterville, 1798. — Map (db m135151) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Hotel
On New York State Route 143, on the left when traveling west.
Three-floor hotel here 1800’s. Owned by Henry Latham 1876-84. Destroyed by fire 1897. Rebuilt two-floor hotel Haverly House. Later apartments. Razed c. 1953. — Map (db m135156) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Indian Trail
On Switzkill Road (County Route 1), on the right when traveling east.
Old Indian trail led through this valley to the Switzkill. Indian camp ground near here. — Map (db m135092) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Manor of Van Rensselaer
On New York State Route 85 at New York State Route 143, in the median on State Route 85.
1630 Kiliaen Van Rensselaer granted patent for 1152 square miles including all of Albany and Rensselaer Counties — Map (db m136076) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Myers Farm
On Myers Road (County Route 401), on the right.
Philip Myers of Germany in 1763 built a log house at Chesterville, married a daughter of Nicholas Stoddard and died 1813 — Map (db m135149) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Quaker Church
On County Route 402 near County Route 351, on the left when traveling east.
Site of a Quaker church and school. Erected 1803. Cemetery in rear. — Map (db m136064) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Reformed Church
On New York State Route 143, on the right when traveling west.
First church in town. Organized 1793. Original site five miles south of here — Map (db m135148) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Westerlo
On New York State Route 143, on the left when traveling west.
Town formed March 16, 1815 from Coeymans and Rensselaerville. Named for Rev. Eilardus Westerlo of Albany. — Map (db m135147) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Cayuga — Sullivan’s Campaign
On U.S. 20 at Turnpike Road, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 20.
One mile west Col. Butler crossed Cayuga Lake and destroyed Cayuga village of Tichero — Map (db m131844) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Victory — Cobblestone
On New York State Route 38 at New York State Route 370, on the right on State Route 38.
Built 1836 by J.D. Woodford. Used as a select school. Second floor ballroom. Wooden addition on rear used as creamery — Map (db m129808) HM
New York (Clinton County), Keeseville — 221 — Evergreen Cemetery
On Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Est. 1849. Final resting place of veterans, members of U.S. Congress & citizens who were critical in Keeseville's history — Map (db m136668) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Peru’s First Settler
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
William Hay, a Scotsman, was Peru's first settler. He built his house in this vicinity in 1772. Hay had a friendly relationship with Benedict Arnold and witnessed the "Battle of Valcour.” The town's first marriage was between . . . — Map (db m136672) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Addoms - Hagar Burial Ground
On Cumberland Head Road, on the left when traveling east.
The burial site of John Addoms, Luther Hagar and their families, 1807-1853 — Map (db m136767) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — 55 — Champy
On Cumberland Head Road, on the right when traveling south.
Legendary lake monster lives here. Over 300 sightings reported since 1819. Up to 200 feet long. NYS Law protects this regional icon. — Map (db m136671) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Fort Izard
On Commodore Theodore Macdonough Highway (New York State Route 314) at Cumberland Head Road, on the right when traveling east on Commodore Theodore Macdonough Highway.
Fort Izard was constructed by the United States during the War of 1812 to defend Plattsburgh against a British land and sea attack from the north, and to engage the enemy forces as they journeyed southward toward Saratoga. It was occupied for a few . . . — Map (db m137106) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — John Addoms
On Cumberland Head Road, on the left when traveling east.
Home of John Addoms. Built 1790. Major and surveyor during entire period of Revolution — Map (db m136751) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Pike’s Cantonment
On New York State Route 22 1.6 miles north of Adirondack Northway (Interstate 87), on the left when traveling north.
If you were here in the late-fall of 1812, you'd see neat lines of two-man tents stretching down to the Saranac River. Those canvas shelters, which provided little protection against sleet, snow, and bitter winds, were filled with 700 soldiers . . . — Map (db m140716) HM
New York (Clinton County), Rouses Point — Ezra Thurber’s Home1818
On Lake Street (New York State Route 9B) at Myers Street, on the right when traveling south on Lake Street.
President Monroe stayed here, later used in the Underground Railroad, 1860 — Map (db m139930) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Ancram's Civil War VeteransHonor Roll — 1861-1865 —
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 7, in the median on State Route 82.
Belcher, John A Bell, Charles M. Brandt, Phillip Brooks, Henry Brown, John Butts, James Butts, Robert Byrne, John Card, Roland Card, Walter Carl, John Dayis, Isaac Decker, Jacob George, Charles R. George, Edgar . . . — Map (db m140120) WM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Iron Works
On New York State Route 82, on the right when traveling south.
Site of iron works, first in Colony of New York, had 4 forges. Founded by Robert R. Livingston 1743. Demolished 1854 — Map (db m137997) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — The Men of Ancram Who Served In The World WarHonor Roll — 1917-1919 —
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 7, in the median on State Route 82.
Belcher, Sheloon C. Blass, Tard B. Boice, Guy Boice, Lee Booth, George Brizzie, Lee Brandt, Frank Brower, Charles Jr. Cabe, Henry Dietter, Free J. Edleman, Lliam F. Garrisson. Arthur E. Binsdale, Alfred Hinsdale, . . . — Map (db m140121) WM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Town of Ancram
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 7, in the median on State Route 82.
Named in honor of the ancestral home of the Livingstons at Teviotdale, Roxburghshire Scotland — Map (db m138001) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancramdale — Lead Mines
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 8, on the right when traveling south on State Route 82.
Site of Lead Mines ore discovered by Mr. Keefer. Livingston bought lease 1827. Operated to 1837. Others operated until 1866 — Map (db m140606) HM
New York (Columbia County), Austerlitz — Edna St. Vincent Millay
On East Hill Road (New York State Route 22) at East Hill Road, on the left when traveling south on East Hill Road.
Noted American poet, resided in this hamlet of Austerlitz at her home Steepletop from 1920 until 1950. — Map (db m135628) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Chatham
On Main Street at New York State Route 66 and, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
First known as Groats' Corners. Settled about 1811. Incorporated 1869. Earlier renowned as an important terminal on three railraods. — Map (db m135977) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Chatham War Memorial
On Hudson Avenue at Park Row and Depot Square, in the median on Hudson Avenue.
In grateful memory of the services rendered by the men of Chatham, that the principles of this Republic might br preserved. Rededicated in celebration of our bicentennial Nov. 11, 1976 — Map (db m135980) WM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Groat’s Tavern
On River Street near Main Street, on the right.
First building erected in Chatham - built by William Thomas in 1811 - Chatham was first called Groat's Corners — Map (db m135931) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — The American Legion
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Held its first post meeting in Columbia County in this building when Chatham Post 42 convened here July 12, 1919 — Map (db m135957) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — 133 — Tracy Memorial Village Hall
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m135960) HM
New York (Columbia County), Claverack — Reformed Dutch Church of Claverack
On New York State Route 9H at Old Lane, on the left when traveling south on State Route 9H.
Congregation established 1716. Current sanctuary built 1767 NYS Historical Register May 5, 2001 National Register June 21, 2001 — Map (db m140604) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Highland Turnpike
On U.S. 9 at Blue Hill Road (County Route 8) when traveling south on U.S. 9.
Incorporated in 1804. An early road — Map (db m137800) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church1902
On County Route 19 at County Route 8, on the left when traveling south on County Route 19.
First church on this site 1861 destroyed by fire 1901. N.Y.S. & National Historical RegistriesMap (db m137802) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake — Copake, NY War Memorial
On County Route &A near County Route 7, in the median.
These We Honor 1917-1919 Lester Raught 1941-1945 Clarence J. Beeker Feliz Garaccia Ralph Veer Stephen C. McIntyre John E. Miller (additional names not transcribed)Map (db m135807) WM
New York (Columbia County), Copake — First Town Meeting
On County Route 7A at Farm Road, on the left when traveling west on County Route 7A.
Site of first town meeting, April 4, 1824 in this building on this site. — Map (db m135794) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 3 — Blast Furnace & Charging DeckIron Works Trail
Near Valley View Road.
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II built the first iron furnace near this location. The blast furnace stack visible today dates to about 1871, when improvements were made to the Copake Iron Works by Frederick Miles after he purchased the site from Pomeroy. . . . — Map (db m135848) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 6 — Blowing Engine HouseIron Works Trail
On Valley View Road.
This brick building once housed bellows to drive air into the blast furnace. The Blowing Engine House , an addition to the 1840's/1850's Machine Shop, is depicted on an 1888 property map. The building's brick buttresses were constructed to keep the . . . — Map (db m135874) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 2 — Charcoal Blast Furnace OperationsIron Works Trail
Near Valley View Road.
Producing high-quality cast iron in a charcoal-fired blast furnace required skill. Laborers constantly “charged” the furnace by wheeling carts of raw materials across the charging deck and dumping them into the charging hole at the top . . . — Map (db m135815) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Copake Falls War Memorial
On Old New York 22 (Route 344) at New York State Route 344, in the median on Old New York 22.
In grateful memory of the services rendered by the men and women of this community in order that the principles of this Republic might be preserved. — Map (db m135844) WM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 1 — Copake Iron Works1845-1903
Near Valley View Road.
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II, a prominent gun manufacturer from Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and his sons, established the Copake Iron Works here at the western edge of the Litchfield Iron District. The site offered all the resources essential for iron . . . — Map (db m135768) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 125 — Copake Iron Works
On Valley View Road, on the right.
Designated National Heritage Area in2016. Part of the Hudson River Valley Heritage area recognized by U.S. Congress in 1996. — Map (db m135873) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Copake Iron Works Historic District
On New York State Route 344 at Valley View Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 344.
Ironworks established in 1845 by Lemuel Pomeroy; later operated by the Miles family. Ceased operation in the 1920's. Acquired by Taconic State Park in 1928. State and National Register of Historic PlacesMap (db m135719) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 17 — Isaac Chesbrough HouseIron Works Trail
On Valley View Road, on the left when traveling east.
This Greek Revival style dwelling appears on maps dating to 1858. The home was likely built in the late 1840s to early 1850s for Isaac Chesbrough, who owned the house until his death in 1893. Chesbrough was the first foreman of the Copake Iron . . . — Map (db m135845) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 15 — Pomeroy
Near Valley View Road.
In 1660 Medad Pomeroy accepted tools, an anvil shaped like this replica, and land in exchange for opening a blacksmith shop in Northampton, Massachusetts. That anvil was passed through many generations of Pomeroy blacksmiths becoming a symbol of . . . — Map (db m135717) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 19 — Site of Pomeroy HousesIron Works Trail
On Valley View Road, on the right when traveling east.
Maps dating to the mid-19th century indicate that two dwellings once stood in this location. The homes were probably built in the early 1850's. One of the houses belonged to the first owner of the Copake Iron Works, Lemuel Pomeroy II, and later to . . . — Map (db m135871) HM
New York (Columbia County), Elizaville — Calendar House
On County Route 19, on the right when traveling south.
Built by Samuel Ten Broeck in 1773. Later purchased by Gen. Harry Livingston whose descendants held it until 1861. — Map (db m137803) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Manor House SiteLivingston Manor Tercentenary — 1686-1986 —
On New York State Route 9G at Station Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 9G.
On Hudson River and Roeliff Jansen Kill. Built in 1699 by first lord of the manor Robert Livingston and wife Alida, on land grant of 1686. — Map (db m132580) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Sharp’s Landing
On New York State Route 9G, on the left when traveling north.
Active in trading in 1684. — Map (db m132569) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Site of First Lutheran Church
On New York State Route 9G, on the right when traveling north.
In Germantown. Erected in 1710 — Map (db m133582) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Ghent Honor Roll
On New York State Route 66 at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 66.
Honored Patriots who answered the call of their country in the Great World War 1917-1918 The Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not perish from the Earth. --Abraham Lincoln (Names . . . — Map (db m136010) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — Copake-Hillsdale Line
On New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling south.
Copake part of Granger 1803, formed from Taghkanick 1824. Hillsdale formed from Claverack as district 1782, town 1786. — Map (db m135721) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
On New York State Route 9G, on the right when traveling north.
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m132570) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
On New York State Route 9G at New York State Route 23, on the right on State Route 9G.
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137747) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Hudson, New York"a seaport far from the sea"
In his fantastical tale, Rip Van Winkle, Washington Irving told of how the ghosts of Captain Henry Hudson and his crew appeared once every twenty years in the Catskill mountains, across the river from here. According to the story, the Captain . . . — Map (db m130614) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Icehouse
In July 1869, after the Church family returned to Olana from 18 months aboard, Frederic Church’s involvement in the farm’s activities increased. He completed several building projects, including the construction of a rectangular, wood-frame icehouse . . . — Map (db m132328) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Kitchen Garden
This panoramic image combines two photographs that show the kitchen garden and barnyard as they looked about 1900. Both photographs were taken from a location out in the field behind you (south) looking north. From the far right in the photograph, . . . — Map (db m132329) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Korea
Near Union Street at South Fourth Street.
In honor of those men & women from Columbia County who served and in memory of those who died defending a country they never knew and a people they never met. Back of Marker: Korea The Forgotten War 1950-1953 Edward J. Aiken William Henry Doss . . . — Map (db m130587) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Livingston - Greenport Line
On Route 23, on the left when traveling east.
Livingston a manor 1686, a dist. 1772, included Ancram, Taghkanick, Gallatin, Copake, Clermont. Town 1788. In 1837 Greenport formed from Hudson — Map (db m137804) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Olana Viewshed
On New York State Route 23 at Route 9G, on the right on State Route 23.
This landscape made famous by Hudson River School painter Frederic E. Church 1826-1900. Protected by the Scenic Hudson Land Trust. — Map (db m137859) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Operation Desert Storm1991
Near Union Street near South Fourth Street.
List of names on 3 panels. — Map (db m130616) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Park and Lake
Near Olana State Historic Site, on the right when traveling north.
Frederic Church transformed a treeless hillside into the wooded park you see across the lake. There, on 31 acres, he planted hundreds of trees and shrubs, singly and in clumps, in a landscape design conceived in the Picturesque Style (a . . . — Map (db m132074) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Roll of Honor1917-1918
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
This tablet commemorates the names of those who served in the World War names are not transcribedMap (db m132618) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Studio and Viewshed
Although Frederic Church painted at his Hudson Valley farm from the time he purchased it in 1860, he did not build a studio here until about 1864-65. On the site where you are standing, he erected a "plain but ample” 24-foot-square, . . . — Map (db m137805) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Vietnam1959-1975
Near Union Street at South Fourth Street.
Dedicated to the men and women of Columbia County who served their country during the Vietnam War 1959-1975. — Map (db m130617) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Warren Inn
On Warren Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1958 on this historic site the first motel ever converted from a movie theater and located in a small community was opened — Map (db m130586) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Woodshed
When wood was the major fuel for heating and cooking, woodsheds like the one located here and elsewhere on the farm provided a place to store firewood and keep it dry. Harvested from Olana’s woodlots, trees were cut into logs and shorter lengths at . . . — Map (db m132331) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — WWII MemorialLest We Forget
On Union Street near South Fourth Street.
Dedicated to all those from Columbia County who died in the service of their country — Map (db m130615) WM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Ezra Gates
On U.S. 20.
Homestead of Ezra Gates, Revolutionary soldier 1775-1780. Still in possession of Gates family. — Map (db m135062) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Mohican Blessing Fountain
On New York State Route 22, on the right when traveling south.
Thé Mohican Blessing Fountain was erected by the New Lebanon Garden Club in 1941 to give thanks to the Mohican Indians for their gift of the healing waters of the thermal mineral springs to all people forever. The Mohicans were the original . . . — Map (db m135096) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Town of New Lebanon War Memorial
On New York State Route 22, on the right when traveling south.
Dedicated to the memory of those who have served our country in all wars. — Map (db m135558) WM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Benjamin F. Butler
On New York State Route 9J, on the left when traveling north.
Born here 1795 - died 1858 A reviser of state laws; Regent 1829-32; Attorney General U.S. 1833-38; acting Sec. of War 1836-37 — Map (db m132613) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Newton Hook
On New York State Route 9J, on the left when traveling north.
Also known as Nutten Hooke, Coxsackie Station. Early industrial area. Sites of ferry 1820, Cary Brick 1902, R&W Scott Ice Co., 1885. — Map (db m132615) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Nutten Hooke
On New York State Route 9J at Ferry Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 9J.
Granted to Arent Van Den Bergh in 1666. Sold to Hans Hendricksen in 1667. Old "fish place" 1 ½ mi. south. — Map (db m132617) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Stuyvesant Landing
On New York State Route 9J at Kinderhook Street (County Route 26A), on the right when traveling north on State Route 9J.
Now part of the Town of Stuyvesant set off from the Town of Kinderhook in 1823. — Map (db m132610) HM
New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — First Suyham Schoolhouse
On New York State Route 72 at County Route 11, on the right when traveling south on State Route 72.
Burned Oct. 1918. Land donated by Jacob Suydam about 1800 — Map (db m138015) HM
New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Town of Taghkanic Veterans Memorial
On New York State Route 82, on the left when traveling south.
This Plaque is dedicated to the Men and Women of the Town of Taghkanic, who served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m138100) WM
New York (Columbia County), Tanghail — Stage Inn
On New York State Route 82 at New Forge Road 1, on the left when traveling south on State Route 82.
J. Suydam's Hotel, 1798-1822; Dr. C. Suydam's Office 1798-1822 J. Suydam Jr.'s Hotel 1822-49; Post office until 1906 — Map (db m138012) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford
On Glendale Milford Road north of U.S. 50, on the left when traveling north.
Home of first Methodist class in Northwest Territory, 1797 — Map (db m133625) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — David Linton1815-1889
On U.S. 22, in the median.
A.B. Miami U. LL. B. Cincinnati Law School Founder- Beta Theta Pi Member of the Society of Friends Prosecuting Attorney of Clinton County Member of Ohio Senate Director of B&O RR Kansas Pioneer Judge Circuit Court-Linn Co. . . . — Map (db m133404) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — AmaliePennsylvania Motor Oil
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
William H. Daugherty lived in Titusville before founding the Daugherty Refinery in Petrolia, PA. Amalie was created in 1903 when L. Sonneborn & Sons bought Daugherty Refinery. It was the first refiner of mineral oils in the United States. In . . . — Map (db m134080) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Atlantic Motor Oil
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
ATLANTIC REFINING COMPANY 1859: Charles Lockhart and William Frew came to this region to drill for oil on the south bank of the Allegheny across from the mouth of Oil Creek in Venango County. Subsequently they bought out the Tarr Farm and . . . — Map (db m134083) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Drake Well
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Edwin I. Drake, a former railroad conductor , traveled to Titusville in 1857 to find and produce oil in commercial quantities Partnering with salt well driller and blacksmith "Uncle Billy" Smith, they persevered to strike oil in August 27, 1859 . . . — Map (db m133796) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Exxon
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Exxon origins can be traced to Titusville's Carter Oil, founded in 1893 by John J. Carter. Irish immigrant and Civil War veteran John J. Carter was awarded athe Medal of Honor for his bravery at the Battle of Antietam. After the war, he moved to . . . — Map (db m133824) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Gulf
On Pennsylvania Route 8 when traveling north.
Gulf Oil was one of the many companies formed at Spindletop in January 1901. In late 1901, James M. Guffey bought out the interests of his partners in the Lucas Well (Galey and Lucas) and formed the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company. Guffey received . . . — Map (db m133640) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Ida Tarbell
On Pennsylvania Route 8, on the right when traveling north.
Ida Tarbell was one of the most famous investigative journalists in American history. She was raised in Titusville during the oil boom. Her father, Franklin Tarbell, was an oil producer and investor. In 1872, she witnessed the destruction of her . . . — Map (db m133624) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — John Heisman
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Shortly after John Heisman's birth in 1869, the Heisman family moved to Titusville where his father, Michael Heisman, was an oil investor and cooper. John Heisman was educated at Titusville schools and played varsity guard on the football team, . . . — Map (db m133875) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Cornwall — Cornwall Remembers1861-1865
On Vermont Route 30 at Fisher Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 30.
South Side inscription: Died in Hospital: Sergt. Romeo R. Peck Nelson Baxter Loyal Darling Adams H. Potter Emerson Mayo Ja's E. Fenton Hung by Guerillas Alva K. Barlow North and West side inscriptions . . . — Map (db m136370) WM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Emma Willard Memorial
On North Pleasant Street (U.S. 7) at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on North Pleasant Street.
Front side of marker In memory of Emma Hart Willard who wrote at Middlebury in 1818 the Magna Carta for higher education of women in America. Rear side of marker Education should seek to bring its subjects to the perfection of . . . — Map (db m136530) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Middlebury Civil War Memorial
On Merchants Row at South Pleasant Street, in the median on Merchants Row.
To her Soldiers — Map (db m136390) WM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Middlebury War Memorial
Near Court Street (U.S. 7) at Court Square, on the left when traveling west.
(side 1) Middlebury In The 1861—Civil War—1865 Joseph Alexander • Henry W. Bennett • Merrill Bentley Bertrand W. Billings • John Brunelle • Michael Burke John Caffrey • Roderick A. Champlin • . . . — Map (db m136571) WM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Samuel Miller, Esq.September 30,1798
On North Pleasant Street (U.S. 7) at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on North Pleasant Street.
In this house, the home of Samuel Miller, Esq., Timothy Dwight, president of Yale College, counseled with Gamaliel Painter and other citizens of Middlebury concerning the founding of Middlebury College. This conference led to the granting of the . . . — Map (db m136473) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — The Addison County Courthouse
On Court Street (U.S. 7) near Washington Street, in the median.
In 1792, the Vermont Legislature ensured Middlebury’s future prominence by choosing it as the site for Addison County courts. Three courthouses have been built in this area. The original clapboard courthouse shown on the right in the photograph, was . . . — Map (db m136662) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — The Battell Block
On Main Street at Merchants Row, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
Built from the Ashes Middlebury's Main Street has been the commercial center of the town since its founding, but its character has changed many times, largely due to that great public enemy of the era-fire. In the first half of the . . . — Map (db m136661) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Town & Gown
On Cross Street at Main Street (Vermont Route 30), on the right when traveling west on Cross Street.
The Shire Town Middlebury was chartered in 1761 as one of New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth’s land grants. The first settlers claimed land in the town in 1766, but were forced back to southern New England during the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m136535) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Whiting — Major Samuel Beach1752-1829 — The Paul Revere of Vermont —
On North Main Street (Vermont Route 30) north of Shoreham Whiting Road, on the right when traveling south.
He lies buried in this cemetery. He walked 64 miles to recruit men to aid Ethan Allen in the capture of Fort Ticonderoga, May 10, 1775. — Map (db m136470) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Manchester — The Soldiers' Monument
On Main Street (Vermont Route 7A) at Union Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In memory of the men of Manchester who served in the Revolutionary War War of 1812 Mexican War Civil War — Map (db m132717) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Town of Rupert Great War Memorial
On Rupert Road (Vermont Route 315), on the right when traveling west.
In grateful remembrance of the men from the Town of Rupert who entered the Great War of 1914-1919 to fight for the triumph of right and freedom names were not transcribedMap (db m138813) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Town of Rupert World War II MemorialRoll of Honor — 1941-1945 —
On Rupert Road (Vermont Route 315), on the right when traveling west.
Citizens of Town of Rupert, Vermont who served their country in World War II David S.Cramer, John Rafter denoted as having died in service. further names were not transcribedMap (db m138811) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Civil War Memorial
On Park Street.
In Honor Of The Brave Men Of Danville Who Victoriously Defended The Union During The War Of The Rebellion 1861- 1865 Commissioned Officers Colonel Addison W. Preston Captain James M. Ayer Captain Charles D. Brainerd Captain . . . — Map (db m140332) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Veterans Memorial
On Park Street.
. . . — Map (db m140328) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon — Lyndon Veterans Memorial
On Broad Street (U.S. 5) at Depot Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street.
Dedicated To All Lyndon Area Men & Women Who Served Our Nation In Protection Of Our Freedom — Map (db m140714) WM

1076 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 876
Paid Advertisement