Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1167 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 767
 
Town of Taghkanic Veterans Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, August 17, 2019
Town of Taghkanic Veterans Memorial
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso
On School Street, on the right when traveling east.
Important as a centre for the North Atlantic fisheries from the 16th century, the islands in Canso Harbour offered a safe haven for fishermen. First frequented by the French and Basques, the area became the site of an extensive . . . — Map (db m138598) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso Soldiers Memorial
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 16), on the left when traveling east.
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War Canso Louis Dort, Vernon Earle, Roy Greencorn, Lee Martin Hart, Arthur S. Horton, James B. Keating, Percy J. Lumsden, James Arthur Manuel, . . . — Map (db m140441) WM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Harbour Traffic/Le traffic du port
Near Water Street.
Only a century ago the spars of many schooners filled this harbour. Vessels from Lunenburg and the "Boston States" entered to take on bait, ice and water before sailing to the banks offshore. Canso shipyards constructed smaller coastal . . . — Map (db m140521) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — In Memory of Tusker 914 En mémoire deJuly 13, 2006
Near Union Street at Queen Street.
On July 13, 2006 a Canadian Forces helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron carrying seven crew members who were exercising rescue techniques with local Canadian Coast Guard auxiliary members crashed in Canso Harbour. . . . — Map (db m139669) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — The Canso Islands/ Les îles Canso
Near Water Street.
During the seventeenth century French fishermen came from Cape Breton, across Chedabucto Bay, to fish for cod in thirty foot shallops. Later, the New England colonists came in their schooners. They fished the Banks and dried their fish . . . — Map (db m140536) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — 6 — Lancaster N. H.: Stories of People and PlacesWilder-Holton House
On Route 3 at U.S. 2, on the right when traveling south on Route 3.
The house was built by Jonas Wilder in 1780 and served as a place for town and religious meetings as well as an inn for travelers. The Holton family later acquired it and owned it for over a century. In 1964 the Holton family sold the house to . . . — Map (db m140029) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stewartstown — Stewartstown Honor Roll
Honor Roll of Stewartstown, NH Dedicated to those who served in the armed forces. World War 1,World War 2, Korea Vietnam, Lebanon, Panama, Persian Gulf War Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom names . . . — Map (db m140470) WM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stratford — Stratford N.H. War Memorials
On Main Street at Town Commons Road, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
These monuments were erected by the citizens of Stratford, N.H. in commemoration to the men and women of the area who served their country in the armed services during World War II and succeeding wars. — Map (db m140466) WM
New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Town of Taghkanic Veterans Memorial
On New York State Route 82, on the left when traveling south.
This Plaque is dedicated to the Men and Women of the Town of Taghkanic, who served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m138100) WM
New York (Columbia County), Tanghail — Stage Inn
On New York State Route 82 at New Forge Road 1, on the left when traveling south on State Route 82.
J. Suydam's Hotel, 1798-1822; Dr. C. Suydam's Office 1798-1822 J. Suydam Jr.'s Hotel 1822-49; Post office until 1906 — Map (db m138012) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — 1800 Church
On New York State Route 10 at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 10.
Only Methodist Church building west of the Hudson River in continuous use for worship since that time. — Map (db m137593) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Christian Church at Fitch's Bridge
On New York State Route 19, on the left when traveling south.
Congregation formed 1822 promoting union with all Christians. Gideon Frisbee leased this land to erect a house of worship to trustees Newell Dodge, Putnam Farrington, Daniel Frisbee, John Hammond and Clark Sloat later razed. The present church, . . . — Map (db m137501) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Delaware County Civil War MemorialSoldiers' Monument
On Main Street (New York State Route 10) at Court Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Erected by the people of Delaware County In grateful remembrance of those Who served their Country in the Civil War And who have defended The American Flag (List of Battles) Gettysburg Antietam Wilderness Cold Harbor . . . — Map (db m137663) WM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitches Crossing Covered Bridge
On Fitches Bridge Road at Delhi-South Kortright Road (County Route 18), on the right when traveling north on Fitches Bridge Road.
Built in 1870 by James Frazier & James Warren, it originally spanned the Delaware at Kingston Street in Delhi. Replaced by an iron bridge in 1885, it was moved by David Wright and a town crew to this site known as Fitches Crossing. . . . — Map (db m137499) HM
New York (Delaware County), Grand Gorge — Cabin of John More(1745-1840) — Site of —
On New York State Route 23 at New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling east on State Route 23.
Native of Strathspey, Scotland. Revolutionary War soldier. Moresville's first settler-1786. Magistrate, postmaster, millwright, tavern & hotel owner. Village called Moresville until 1874 — Map (db m132113) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Hamden1880-1960
On New York State Route 10, on the left when traveling south.
Hamden: The Early Years The Town of Hamden was organized in 1825 In its early years, butter was it's most valuable commodity particularly during the Civil War years. The size of a typical family farm was 80 to 100 acres and supported 8 to . . . — Map (db m137618) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Hamden Covered Bridge
Near New York State Route 10, on the left when traveling south.
For nearly one hundred fifty years, the Hamden Covered Bridge has stood as a testament tot the ingenuity and resilience of both Delaware Country structures and the engineers who built them. The story of the Hamden Covered Bridge’s original . . . — Map (db m137657) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — O & W Railroad
On New York State Route 10, on the left when traveling south.
The New York & Oswego Midland Railroad was incorporated in 1866. The route chosen stretched from Oswego on Lake Ontario to Jersey City, NJ. When the panic of 1873 hit, the Midland entered bankruptcy. In 1880, a new group of investors bought . . . — Map (db m137623) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — Town of Hamden
On New York State Route 10, on the left when traveling south.
First settlement 1779 by David Harrower and wife, their sons, David and Dugal. These pioneers are buried near here. — Map (db m137492) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hancock — Reflections on Five Hamlets
On New York State Route 10 south of Sands Creek Road, on the right when traveling south.
The Largest Community in the valley was Cannonsville, a center of commerce and civic life. Presbyterian Baptist and Methodist Churches served both spiritual and temporal needs. The Cannonsville Community House hosted dances, lectures, and . . . — Map (db m137637) HM
New York (Delaware County), Harpersfield — Harpersfield Toll GateSusquehanna Turnpike
On New York State Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Alexander Dales, earliest known gate keeper, 1845-1855 — Map (db m132518) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hobart — 1983 - 1984 - 1986
On Maple Avenue at Main Street (New York State Route 10), on the left when traveling west on Maple Avenue.
The replacement of two dams and preservation of the bridge was made possible by the O’Connor Foundation — Map (db m137596) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hobart — St. Peters
On Maple Avenue at Pine Street, on the right when traveling east on Maple Avenue.
Protestant Episcopal Church of the Towns of Stamford, Harpersfield and Kortricht. Parish organized 1794, present church 1801 — Map (db m137595) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — 1899 Round Barn
On New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling north.
Built for Kelly Brothers for easier cow care. Meade family ran dairy farm through 1963. Reconstructed 1988 State and National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m132124) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Lodges Organized in Middletown
On Main Street.
James's 1796-1798 Delaware-Ulster 1807-1811 Colden (Clinton) 1816-1824 Margaretville 1855-present — Map (db m132106) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville
On Main Street west of Bridge Street, on the right when traveling west.
Hamlet developed in 1840s. First hotel opened at this site 1845. Village named for Margaret Livingston when it incorporated in 1875. — Map (db m132230) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville War Memorial
On Main Street (New York State Route 30) at Cemetery Road, in the median on Main Street.
To the men and women of the community who served in the armed forces of the United States of America in time of war. — Map (db m132244) WM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Middletown Settlement
On Route 28, on the right when traveling west.
Three Hudson Valley Dutch families arrived in 1763 to settle the Delaware Valley where the Lenni Lenape first hunted and fished. — Map (db m132108) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — The Stream of Time
On Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
Th East Branch of the Delaware of and its many tributaries- - the Binnekill, Bush Kill, Plattekill, Mill Brook, Dry Brook, Bull Run, Batavia Kill, Red Kill and others are central to the history of the Village of Margaretville and the wider Town . . . — Map (db m132228) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Welcome to Historic Margaretville!
On Main Street, on the left when traveling west.
This stream-crossed valley beneath 3,200-foot Pakatakan Mountain has been attracting travelers since the Lenni Lenape found good hunting and fishing here hundreds of years ago. The first European settlers arrived in the region in 1763, and a small . . . — Map (db m132158) HM
New York (Delaware County), Roxbury — Enderlin BuildingBuilt circa 1840
On New York State Route 30 at Bridge Street, on the right when traveling north on State Route 30.
In 1852, John B. Gould purchased a "tin shop” in this original structure built in 1840. His son, Jason "Jay” Gould, born in Roxbury in 1836, became a partner with his father in the shop at age 16. The younger Gould was sent to New York . . . — Map (db m133799) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Herring Park
On New York State Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Designated to honor Reverend Stephen A. Herring for his dedication to Core Values, Inc. Est. 1993 — Map (db m132701) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — Dr. Platt Townsend
On Delaware Street (Route 10), on the right when traveling south.
Homestead of Dr Platt Townsend Built 1796 Leader of the founders of Walton. — Map (db m137625) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — Turnpike
On Delaware Street (New York State Route 10) at Prospect Street (New York State Route 10/206), on the right when traveling south on Delaware Street.
Historic Route from Kingston to Jericho (Bainbridge). — Map (db m137512) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — William B. Ogden
On New York State Route 10.
Birthplace of William Ogden (1805-1877). First Mayor of Chicago — Map (db m137518) HM
New York (Duchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloom’s Mill
On New York State Route 82 at Clinton Corners Road, on the left when traveling south on State Route 82.
Bloom's Mill (c. 1750) Revolutionary soldiers camped here in 1777 before the Battle of Washington Hollow — Map (db m140619) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Amenia — Amenia
On New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling north.
Named from the Latin "amoena," "pleasant to the eye," by Dr. Thomas Young, early settler, who also named Vermont — Map (db m138008) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloomvale
On Route 82 at Clinton Corners Road, on the right when traveling south on Route 82.
On the National Register of Historic Places Bloomvale Early Industrial Center, Named for Isaac Bloom (1748-1803), Judge, Miller, Patriot, Politician — Map (db m140618) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Dover Plains — Dover Stone Church
On New York State Route 22 at Stone Church Lane, on the right when traveling south on State Route 22.
A cavern, with a waterfall refuge of Sassacus, Pequot chief, fleeing from rout of his tribe at New Loudon, Conn. afterward killed by Mohawks. — Map (db m137968) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Stoutenburgh House
On Violet Avenue (New York State Route 9G) at Crum Elbow Road, on the right when traveling south on Violet Avenue.
Built 1745-65 by William Stoutenburgh, son of Jacobus Stoutenburgh, first colonial settler of Hyde Park — Map (db m132619) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — World War II
On Violet Avenue (New York State Route 9G) at Brower Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on Violet Avenue.
East Park Observation Post. Aircraft warning service. Civilian airplane spotters on 24 hour watch 1942-1943. Site was on east side of Violet Ave. — Map (db m132623) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Iron Mine PondTaconic State Park
On Rudd Pond Drive when traveling south.
People have mined iron in the Taconic region since the late 1700s. The first iron furnace with a steam-powered bellows was built on this site in 1847. Caleb Maltby purchased the mine in 1861 and the Maltby Iron Company produced a high grade of iron . . . — Map (db m138098) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Irondale Cemetery
On North Elm Avenue (New York State Route 22), on the right when traveling south.
Irondale, Millerton, Town of North East. Old Stone 1818. — Map (db m135709) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — 428 — Irondale School
On New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling south.
One room schoolhouse ca. 1850-1930. Stood here until 2013 when moved to Village of Millerton for visitors' center. — Map (db m135711) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Rudd Pond
On Rudd Pond Road, on the right when traveling south.
Major Bezaleel Rudd, 1751-1846, cleared land and erected home on this site. Served in the Revolution. — Map (db m138071) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Spencer's CornersNorth East Post Office
On Rudd Pond Road near Merwin Road, on the right when traveling south.
May 1, 1773, first Baptist covenant meeting in North East held at home of Rev. Simon Dakin, near here. — Map (db m138074) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Town of North East War Memorial
On Main Street (New York State Route 112) at Duchess Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Dedicated in honor and in memory of the valiant men and women of the Town of North East who served in our nation's conflicts. — Map (db m135829) WM
New York (Dutchess County), North East — North East Center Burying Ground
On New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling south.
Early stone marked 1801 — Map (db m137993) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — 353 — Attlebury School
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 88, on the right when traveling south on State Route 82.
Attlebury School District #12 Built ca. 1911 After Original Building Destroyed by Fire in 1909. Closed 1945. Acquired by Stanford Hist. Soc. 2014. — Map (db m140611) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Attlebury School House
On New York State Route 82, on the right when traveling south.
Attlebury School House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 by the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2016 Attlebury School The one room schoolhouse on this . . . — Map (db m140614) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Brush House
Near East Church Street (New York State Route 199) near North Main Street (County Route 83A), on the right.
Made from oak logs hewn square, 1773 or 4; a log blockhouse. Siding put on over original house in 1881. — Map (db m135708) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Harris Scythe Works
On Church Street (New York State Route 199), on the left when traveling west.
Site of Harris Scythe Works. Founded by John Harris about 1765. operations ceased 1864. — Map (db m135792) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Old Tavern
On South Main Street (New York State Route 82) at Church Street (New York State Route 199), on the left when traveling south on South Main Street.
Site of Old Tavern Log House Tavern in 1798, Dr. Asahel Haskins, Prop. Hotel Built 1804 by F. & E. Dibblee. G. Ketterer Owner Enlarged Hotel 1872 & 1882. — Map (db m140608) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains
On Church Street (New York State Route 199), on the right when traveling west.
Organized 1823. Named to commemorate pine trees that grew on the plains. Part of Northeast 1788. Part of Little Nine Partners 1706. — Map (db m135793) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains Northeast Line
On New York State Route 199 at Winchell Mountain Road (County Route 60), in the median on State Route 199.
Pine Plains organized 1823. Northeast formed 1788 and included Milan and Pine Plains. Milan taken off in 1818 — Map (db m137996) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Red Church
On New York State Route 199, on the right when traveling west.
Site of Red Church. Built by German Reformers 1772 on Pulver farm, torn down 1826, known as the Old Red Church. — Map (db m135706) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Rhinebeck — Landsman’s Kill
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Whose waters operated the mills of Schuyler, Montgomery, Morgan, Lewis, Livingston, and many others — Map (db m132573) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Rhinebeck — Westward on the Right
On U.S. 9 when traveling north.
Grasmere-birthplace-W. A. Duer once president of Columbia Col. On the right beyond-Ellerslie, home of Levi P. Morton, Gov. of NY & Vice Pres. of U.S. — Map (db m132574) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Wassaic — Wassaic Iron
On New York State Route 22 at Deep Hollows Road on State Route 22.
Reed, Gridley & Co. Iron Works in business by 1829. Two beehive charcoal kilns associated with iron works are all that remain in 2012. — Map (db m138022) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Wingdale — Clove Road Camp
On New York State Route 22 at Pleasant Ridge Road, on the left when traveling south on State Route 22.
A mile west is Phillip Hoac house, built 1750, where Washington and troops, en route from Boston to New York, encamped in 1776 — Map (db m137971) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Marble Ruins
Near Fuhrmann Boulevard.
These white marble pieces were excavated from this site, and are remnants of the original Manufacturers and Traders National Bank Building (later the Federal Reserve Building). Once called "The Marble Temple" the building sat at the intersection . . . — Map (db m133553) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — Aaron SalisburyLocal War Hero — War of 1812 —
On New York State Route 5 near Big Tree Road, on the right.
Although the War of 1812 had been brewing for years, it struck along the shores of the Town of Hamburg in 1813. Landing parties from the British Navy's Queen Charlotte gunboat would frequently come ashore and loot local farms, seizing their . . . — Map (db m133031) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — Lighthouse LV82Guardian of the Buffalo Harbor
On New York State Route 5 at Big Tree Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 5.
Prior to the construction of land based lighthouses, lightships were used to provide navigational guidance along shipping lanes of the Great Lakes. Lightship LV82 was built in July 1912 with a steel hull and whaleback forecastle deck. It measured . . . — Map (db m133028) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — The AlhambraHot Spot of the Southtowns
On Lake Shore Road.
The Alhambra was once located on this site. Built in 1925 by a group of Buffalo businessmen, it was a popular place to go for dining, dancing, and entertainment during the 1940's. Live dance bands performed here as part of the local circuit. . . . — Map (db m133030) HM
New York (Essex County), Ausable Chasm — Rainbow Falls Hydroelectric Plant
On County Route 71, on the left when traveling north.
Mechanics have known how to run machinery using the weight of falling water for centuries, but this sixty-foot drop at the head of AuSable Chasm proved difficult to harness. Early mills had to perch on the brink of the river, exposed to ice and . . . — Map (db m136716) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The Soldiers' Monument
On Creek Rd.
To the memory of the heroic volunteers of Crown Point, who gave their lives as a sacrifice for their country and humanity, in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-1865. This monument is erected by their grateful fellow . . . — Map (db m126316) WM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — Edgar P. Wadhams
On U.S. 9, on the left when traveling north.
First bishop of the Diocese of Ogdensburg was born in this house May 21, 1817. He was consecrated May 5, 1872 - died December 5, 1891. — Map (db m136666) HM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — Elizabethtown War Memorials
On Court Street (U.S. 9) at Park Street, on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
The Men of Elizabethtown Who served in the World War 1917-1919 Harry Metcalf, Oliver Mitchell, Hardy Sweet, William Hanchett denoted as having died while in service. further names were not transcribed In Memory of the Men and . . . — Map (db m137178) WM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — John Brown’s Body
On Court Street (U.S. 9) at Park Street, on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
John Brown’s body guarded by local citizens rested in this court house on the night of Dec. 6, 1859 on its way to burial at his home in North Elba. — Map (db m136665) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — Keeseville, New York War MemorialInto the Light
On Main Street (New York State Route 22) at Front Street (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Our Community honors the courage, sacrifice and devotion of its veterans We always remember all who served, fought, and died in defense of America's freedom and who asked nothing in return. Let us not lose what they have gained. — Map (db m136857) WM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — Atlas F Missle Silo Site in Lewis, NY and War Veterans
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Cold War- In 1962 the United States constructed 12 Atlas F Missile Silos in the mountains of upstate New York. They were designed to strike Russia in the event of nuclear war. One was installed in Lewis, NY. At 52-feet wide and 176-feet deep, this . . . — Map (db m136670) HM WM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 341 — Inez Milholland
On U.S. 9, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 9.
Lived and buried near here. Astride a white horse, led 1913 Suffrage Parade in Washington DC. Died at age 30 campaigning for women's right to vote. — Map (db m136667) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 3 — Lewis Hotel and Central School
On U.S. 9 north of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north.
The Village of Lewis started to be developed in 1818. One of the first buildings was the Lewis Hotel owned and operated by David Sykes. It was located on the corner where Route 9 meets Fox Run Road until it burned down on October 1, 1961. The . . . — Map (db m136840) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 5 — Maccabee Hall and Other Lewis Landmarks
On U.S. 9 south of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north.
Maccabee Hall was a space developed to hold meetings of the Knights and Ladies of the Maccabees. The Maccabees were a Jewish religious group that provided insurance.and was active in issues of fairness. In 1915 the Ladies of Maccabees changed to the . . . — Map (db m136850) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — Town of Lewis Veterans Park
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Dedicated to all in this community who served in the armed forces during times of war and peace. names were not transcribedMap (db m136679) WM
New York (Fulton County), Bleecker — Bleecker Center Cemetery
On County Route 112 0.1 miles north of Bleecker Center Bowlers Hill Road (County Route 145), on the right when traveling north.
Earliest gravestone 1847 Several unmarked/fieldstone Sometimes listed as Bleecker Methodist Cemetery or School District #4 — Map (db m131496) HM
New York (Fulton County), Bleecker — Bleecker Factory Cemetery
On New York State Route 309 0.2 miles south of Lilly Lake road and 112 (County Route 112), on the left when traveling north.
Earliest gravestone 1852 Several unmarked/fieldstone Near site of first tannery c. 1840 in Bleecker, NY A.k.a. School District #3 Cemetery — Map (db m131497) HM
New York (Fulton County), Bleecker — St. John's Lutheran Cemetery
On County Route 112 0.1 miles south of Gutha Road, on the right when traveling north.
Earliest gravestone 1862 Several unmarked/fieldstone Church built 1866, closed in mid 1930's Reopened 1945 as Bleecker Community Church — Map (db m131495) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Broadalbin World War Two Memorial
On West Main Street near Center Street, on the right when traveling west.
Lest We Forget To the eternal memory of the men and women of Broadalbin who served in the armed forces of the United States during World War Two Forever in the Annals of Glory Will shine their starry claim The angels know their . . . — Map (db m136569) WM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — In Honor
On North Main Street, on the left.
In Honor of the men and women who served in the armed forces of the United States during World War II In memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice Michael Barna – Paul Borysink Fenton Brown – George Formire Richard Fraker . . . — Map (db m131494) WM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — In Honor/Dedicated/Gratitude
On Main Street near Saratoga Street, in the median.
In Honor of the valiant men who during the dark days of civil conflict realized that through Union alone could this nation survive and not counting the cost, laid their all on the altar of their country. Through their sacrifice the nation . . . — Map (db m131492) WM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Kennyetto Creek
On Bridge Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Named by the Mohawk Indians "snake trying to swallow it's tail." Valuable water source for early Broadabin — Map (db m131457) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Kitty Husted
On Maple Street, on the left when traveling east.
In memory of "Miss Kitty," a summer redsident, who was major benefactor of Broadalbin in the late 1800's. — Map (db m131458) HM
New York (Fulton County), Caroga Lake — Town of Caroga War MemorialIn Memoriam
On New York State Route 29A.
The people of the Town of Caroga humbly dedicate this memorial to those veterans, past and present, living or dead, who fought for the freedom of the United States of America. — Map (db m137013) WM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Rockwood1905
On New York State Route 29 at Valley Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 29.
On this creek once stood E. Young's grist & saw mill, L. Stahl Saw Mill, Stahl & Benjamin Paper Mill, making this a prosperous hamlet. — Map (db m131483) HM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Saltsman's Hotel
On New York State Route 10 at Co. 140 and Woods Road (County Route 140), on the right when traveling south on State Route 10.
Built by Peter Schram in early 1800. Established as Apollo Ballroom, eatery with stabling. Visited by Governors Rockefeller, FDR — Map (db m131591) HM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Tillaboro Raid
On New York State Route 10 at Tillaboro Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 10.
Took place within a two mile radius of this marker April 20, 1779. Up this road is site of old Tillaboro Church and Cemetery — Map (db m132317) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnston — 372 — Suffrage Pioneer
On North William Street near Church Street, on the left when traveling north.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1815-1902. Her father practiced law here in early 19th C. inspiring her fight for women's rights — Map (db m136958) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Johnson Hall / The Landscape of Johnson Hall
Near Hall Avenue.
Johnson Hall A man of Sir William’s position required a grand home to impress his many guests who arrived for political, financial, and diplomatic discussions. Commitments in the French and Indian War(1754-63), however, kept him from . . . — Map (db m136523) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Matthias B. Hildreth
On South William Street south of Main Street (New York State Route 67), on the left when traveling south.
Site of The residence of Matthias B. Hildreth. Served as Attorney General of the State of New York from 1808 to 1812. — Map (db m137017) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Royal Mountain
On New York State Route 10, on the left when traveling north.
Jumpin' Jack Johnston, 3X World Champion 1976-1978, freestyle aerialist skier, executed his first aerial on "The Challenge" in 1972. — Map (db m136980) HM
New York (Fulton County), Lassellsville — Lassellsville
On New York State Route 29 at County Route 119, on the right when traveling west on State Route 29.
On this corner once stood a tavern, store, blacksmith shop, wagon factory, built by William Lassell who purchased 50 acres in 1805. — Map (db m136704) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — Early Settler
On South Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Site of first house built in present Village of Northville. First home built on this site by Samuel Olmstead in 1788. — Map (db m136265) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — History of Ray Hubbell
Near South Main Street.
Many people in Northville and around Northville know about the return of the Chimney Swifts, but not many people know about Mr. Ray Hubbell. Each year the Chimney Swifts would return to their home in the chimney that was on the corner of 2nd Street . . . — Map (db m137132) HM
New York (Fulton County), Oppenheim — Old State Road
On New York State Route 29, on the left when traveling west.
Built, 1803 by N.Y. State Over this road in 1814 Gen. Izard with 4,000 men marched to Sacketts Harbor in the War of 1812. — Map (db m136707) HM
New York (Fulton County), Oppenheim — Robert Higbie House
On New York State Route 29, on the left when traveling west.
Home of Robert Higbie, first town supervisor, Oppenheim, following the creation of Fulton County. First town meeting held here Apr. 1838 — Map (db m136950) HM
New York (Fulton County), Stratford — First Tannery
On New York State Route 29A at Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 29A.
Erected in the Town of Stratford on this site in 1812 by Daniel Cross — Map (db m136987) HM
New York (Fulton County), Vail Mills — Dutch Reformed Church
On County Route 155 0.1 miles east of New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling west.
Site of Dutch Reformed Church of New Haerlam - founded 1793 - and historic church cemetery (1805-1871) — Map (db m131459) HM
New York (Fulton County), Wheelerville — Site of Wheelerville Tannery
On New York State Route 29A, on the left when traveling west.
Wheeler Chaflin Company 1865 ca. 1888 — Map (db m136983) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bergen — 267 — C.E. Housel Home
On Lake Street (New York State Route 19) at LeRoy Street, on the right when traveling north on Lake Street.
W.S. & C.E. Housel private bank closed abruptly March 1929. Depositors lost nearly all their funds. C.E. Housel found guilty of fraud. — Map (db m142116) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Le Roy Civil War Memorial
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Wolcott Street, on the right on Main Street.
In Memory Of The Soldiers Of Le Roy Rebellion William C. Allen · John W. Amlong · Alexander L. Anderson · Benjamin Anderson · David D. Anderson · Wilber H. Anderson · James Avery · Samuel Avery · Samuel Avery 2nd· . . . — Map (db m142315) WM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — 117 — Le Roy Post Office
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Mill Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Le Roy post office has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m142119) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Le Roy World War I Memorial1918 - 2018
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Wolcott Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
In remembrance of those from LeRoy who served May we never forget those who died George Botts · Cecelia Cochran · Errol Crittenden · Leo Fiorito · Thomas Illes · Edward Kaine · Percy Luttrel · Patrick Molyneaux · Edgar Murrel · George Ripton · . . . — Map (db m142311) WM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Women’s Suffrage
On West Main Street (New York State Route 5) west of Clay Street (New York State Route 19), on the right when traveling east.
On April 2, 1918, Delia Phillips was the first woman in LeRoy to vote in an election after New York State passed women's suffrage in 1917. She cast her ballot in LeRoy’s municipal building. In 1920, the 19th Constitutional Amendment was ratified . . . — Map (db m142112) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — A. Van Loon House
On New York State Route 385, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1724 by Albertus Van Loon occupied as a residence since date of erection — Map (db m125871) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Athens Veterans Memorial
On North Washington Street.
Dedicated to the men and women who honorably served our country — Map (db m126511) WM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Jan Van Loon House
On South Washington Street at Old South Washington Street, on the left when traveling north on South Washington Street.
Built 1706 by Jan Van Loon chief holder Loonenburgh Pat. 1688. Athens Village first called Loonenburgh. — Map (db m126509) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Northrup House
On South Washington Street at Fourth Street, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Street.
Built 1803 Home of Issac Northrup founder of Athens Village Incorporated 1806 — Map (db m126510) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 1808 Sayre Home
On Jerome Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Daniel Sayre purchased 100 acres along Shingle Kill 1794. Shoemaker, justice 1800-1819, 1st town supervisor 1803, elected State Assembly 1804 — Map (db m130541) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — Bell Factory
On Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
of William Barton, earliest American maker of sleigh bells stood on this stream 1828 — Map (db m131394) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 456 — Cairo Fairgrounds
On Main Street at Pinewood Manor Road, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Site of Greene County Agricultural Society Fair 1870-1936. Horse racing until 1961. Speedway held stock car races for 6 weeks in 1974. — Map (db m131415) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — Mowers House
On Main Street at New York State Route 32/23, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Stage coach stop & inn. Built in 1689 — Map (db m131396) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — The CatskillsHistoric New York
On Pine Street (New York State Route 23), on the right when traveling east.
The majestic Catskill Mountains hover over the west bank of the Hudson River as it winds its way south. These gentle peaks with their deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes long remained wild and desolate. Although small settlements began . . . — Map (db m130588) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 348 — Town of Cairo
On New York State Route 32 at Main Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 32.
Created March 26, 1803 from Towns of Catskill, Coxsackie and Freehold. Originally named Canton. Became Cairo April 6,1808 — Map (db m129485) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — World War1917-1919
On Main Street at Jerome Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m130539) WM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Catskill Walking TourBeattie-Powers Place
Near Powers Place.
James Powers (1782-1868) was a life-long resident of the Village of Catskill, where he lived as a prosperous lawyer, land developer, and gentleman farmer. He served as eighth president of the village and as state senator (1836-39). His . . . — Map (db m130578) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — General George Decker
On West Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east.
Family home of Catskill native General George Decker appointed by President John F. Kennedy United States Army Chief of Staff 1960-1962 — Map (db m129479) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hamlet of Alsen
On U.S. 9W, on the right when traveling north.
Had a cement plant, 2 mushroom farms, a school, post office, 2 grocery stores, railroad station, population about 300 — Map (db m129480) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hamlet of Cementon
On U.S. 9W, on the right when traveling north.
At one time, had an elementary school, a church, a railroad station, a post office, 5 grocery stores, a large cement plant, 1 ice house & a population of about 800 — Map (db m129481) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hop-O-Nose
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Site of Indian village purchased from the Indians in 1682. Loveridge Patent — Map (db m129477) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Martin Van Buren
On West Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
8th President of the U.S. was married in this house to Hannah Hoes in 1807. House built in 1797 — Map (db m127871) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Stone House
On West Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1762 by Lieut. Col. Cornelis Dubois. Surrender of Cornwallis celebrated here — Map (db m127872) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — The World War
On Main Street, on the right.
Dedicated to the men who served in the Tenth New York Infantry July 15, 1917-July 8, 1919 N.G.U.S. Lieut. Col. Albert Saulpaugh Captain Percy W. Decker Adj. Sergt. Major Wm. Hock Company E Captain Daniel J. Cassidy . . . — Map (db m129546) WM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Uncle Sam
On West Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Samuel Wilson, “Uncle Sam” the official symbol of the United States, lived here 1817-1823 — Map (db m127870) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Uncle Sam Bridge
On West Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west.
Samuel Wilson, whose name inspired national symbol “Uncle Sam” lived nearby from 1817-1822 — Map (db m127981) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Wanatonka Island
Near Main Street.
Henry Hudson and his ship the Half Moon, stopped here in 1609 — Map (db m130547) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — CoxsackieWorld War II — Honoring Those Who Served Our Country —
On Mansion Street (New York State Route 395), on the left when traveling north.
Honor Roll (names not transcribed) — Map (db m130611) WM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — Honor Roll"That Liberty Justice and Equity Might Not Perish"
On Mansion Street (New York State Route 385) near Lafayette Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
In memory of the the boys from Coxsackie, N.Y. who answered their country's call in the World War. — Map (db m131131) WM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — In Memory
Near River Street.
In memory of those who served in with honor in Korea and Vietnam — Map (db m130613) WM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — Reformed Low Dutch Churchof Katskill and Kochs Hacky — Organized Feb 25, 1731/32 —
On New York State Route 395, on the left when traveling north.
First church building , 1733-1798, about 1/4 mile west on north side of road. Second church building, 1798-1861, on south side of road nearly opposite the first. Present building erected 1861. Pastors' names not transcribed — Map (db m130612) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — 562 — Village Cemetery
On Mansion Street (New York State Route 385), on the left when traveling west.
"Mansion St. Cemetery" Resting place of residents and veterans 1826-1974. Burials as early as 1800 were transferred here. — Map (db m135678) HM
New York (Greene County), Durham — Meeting House Hill1/2 mile to
On New York State Route 145, on the right when traveling south.
Bronze tablet and boulder mark the site of first Presbyterian church, Durham. Organized november 8,1792 — Map (db m131420) HM
New York (Greene County), East Durham — Drill Grounds
On New York State Route 145, on the right when traveling south.
Militia War of 1812. Col. Ezra Post commanding — Map (db m131400) HM
New York (Greene County), East Durham — John E. Lawe(February 26, 1919 - January 5,1989) — Champion of the Working Man —
Near Route 145, on the right when traveling south.
John Edward Lawe, stood tall in the U.S. labor movement, a union man all his working life: 35 years with the Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO as a dues-paying member, officer and international president (1985-1989). He was a dynamic . . . — Map (db m131425) HM
New York (Greene County), East Durham — R.R. Disaster
On New York State Route 145, on the left when traveling south.
In 1840, one half mile east, train plunged through trestle into creek at High Rock ended career of Canajoharie Catskill Railroad — Map (db m131389) HM
New York (Greene County), East Durham — Stone Bridge
On Stone Bridge Road (New York State Route 145), on the right when traveling south.
Built 1800 as part of Susquehanna Turnpike — Map (db m131398) HM
New York (Greene County), Elka Park — One Hundredth Anniversary1885-1985
On New York State Route 214, on the right when traveling north.
This tablet commemorates the hundredth anniversary of New York State's Forest Preserve. The surrounding mountains, streams, and woodlands remain a legacy from the past protected by the constitution of New York State. They represent a heritage for . . . — Map (db m127694) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — 1635 English Lawyer
On County Route 26 at New York State Route 81, on the right when traveling west on County Route 26.
1635 English Lawyer John Stevens to New England. In 1995, Family marked 360 yrs. in America. 1641 John at Stamford, CT. 1793 Ruben to Greenville. 1827, James buys this 1790’s house from E. Reed. Stevens Homestead 1827 - . . . — Map (db m140977) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Benjamin Spees
On New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling south.
Settled here in 1791 in a log cabin built by a Tory — Map (db m129502) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Brandy Hill
On County Highway 26 at Newly Road, on the right when traveling west on County Highway 26.
Brandy Hill Settled 1790's by Rundle and Butler Families. Site of Cider Mill, Hotel, Stage Coach Stop, Tin Shop, Church, Saw Mill and Farms — Map (db m140971) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Early Sawmill
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Owned and operated by Eleazer Knowles stood on this site — Map (db m129488) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Edwin L. Drake
On New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling south.
Pioneer in U.S. oil industry drilled first oil well in Titusville, PA Aug. 27, 1859 Born Greenville, NY Mar. 29, 1819 Died Bethlehem, PA Nov. 8, 1880. — Map (db m129492) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — First School
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Cabin built of logs stood on this site. First teacher was a son of Rev. Beriah Hotchkin — Map (db m131669) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Greenville
On New York State Route 81 at New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling west on State Route 81.
1803 town taken from Freehold and Coxsackie, called Greenfield, first town meeting held 1809 Named Greenville — Map (db m129490) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Grist Mill
On New York State Route 81, on the right when traveling west.
Grist mill erected here in 1785 by David Hickcock and Davis Denning — Map (db m129489) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Talmage-Atwater
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Home of families for 170 years. Built in 1792. — Map (db m129495) HM
New York (Greene County), Hensonville — First Log House
On New York State Route 296 at Elm Road (County Route 65), on the left when traveling east on State Route 296.
Built here in 1818 by John Henson, founder of Hensonville — Map (db m132526) HM
New York (Greene County), Jefferson Heights — Capt. Joseph Allen
On Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
House built in 1814 by Capt. Joseph Allen, sea captain during the Revolution — Map (db m127859) HM
New York (Greene County), Jefferson Heights — Footpath
On Main Street at Brooks Lane, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
From old Indian fort called Casteel Hoogte to Coxsackie — Map (db m127858) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — First Log House
On Main Street.
Site of the first log house in this village 1675 stood about 100 feet south along road to fording place — Map (db m130576) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — Old Inn
On Main Street at Church Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Old inn of Martin G. Schuneman. Built 1796 — Map (db m130543) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — Pachquiack
On Main Street (County Route 23B) at County Route 47, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
“Open Country” purchased from Indians by Jan Bronk, 1675. Formerly Madison, now Leeds. — Map (db m130542) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — World War II Memorial
On Main Street at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.

Of the men and women of Leeds who served in the armed forces in World War II. [names not transcribed] — Map (db m130544) WM

New York (Greene County), Prattsville — Col. Zadock Pratt
On Main Street (New York State Route 23), on the right when traveling west.
Homestead of town founder Col. Zadock Pratt. Tanner, banker, legislator. Planned village, built homes and world's largest tannery. Oct. 30, 1790 - April 5, 1871. — Map (db m132716) HM
New York (Greene County), Prattsville — Pratt Rock
Near Main Street (New York State Route 23), on the right when traveling west.
Zadock Pratt October 30, 1790 to April 6, 1871 Born in Stephentown, Rensselaer County, New York Buried in Prattsville, New York Cemetery Tanner, Farmer, Builder, Banker U.S. Congressman (1837-1839; 1843-1845) Wives: Beda . . . — Map (db m137374) HM
New York (Greene County), Prattsville — World WarPrattsville Honor Roll
On New York State Route 23, on the left when traveling west.
Charles W. Bouton Herbert M. Carman Weldon W. Conine Frank W. Dunham Claude M. Fowler John D. Groves Peter M. Hanley David Holland Harvey E. Ives Norman E. Kinney Charles M. Madden Ennist R. Newbury Albert N. O’Hara Thomas . . . — Map (db m132643) HM
New York (Greene County), Windham — 1785
On New York State Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Against this rock Windham's first settler George L. Stimpson erected a log cabin — Map (db m132632) HM
New York (Greene County), Windham — Early Church
On New York State Route 23 when traveling west.
First congregational church of Ashland built here in Old Windham 1799. — Map (db m132525) HM
New York (Greene County), Windham — In Honor
On New York State Route 23, on the left when traveling west.
of the citizens of the Town of Windham, N.Y. who served their country during the World War 1917-1919

(names not transcribed)Map (db m132654) WM

New York (Greene County), Windham — Trinity Church
On New York State Route 23, on the left.
Incorporated May 20, 1799. Earliest Episcopal organization of old Town of Windham — Map (db m132635) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena
On West Columbus Street at N Walnut street on West Columbus Street.
Founded by Gilbert Carpenter in 1809 between Big and Little Walnut Creeks for milling purposes — Map (db m121008) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena War MemorialLest We Forget - World War II
On Park Street at Middle Street, on the right when traveling west on Park Street.
David Bricker, Lee Fetherole, Vincent Linkekugel, Andrew McFarland, Jr., and George J. Phillips were indicated as having died while in service. further names were not transcribed. — Map (db m134146) WM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Hoover Reservoir
On Front Street, on the left when traveling south.
Galena sits at the confluence of Big Walnut and Little Walnut Creeks. The village square was once surrounded on all four sides by buildings and commercial properties on stilts once lined the Big Walnut Creek. Because Columbus considered them . . . — Map (db m133589) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Jeffersonville — Garmhausen Roadside Rest Area
On Interstate 71, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of Wilbur J. Garmhausen

Chief Landscape Architect, Ohio Dept. of Highways 1949-1972, Division Landscape Architect 1935-1949. Developer of Ohio Rest Areas, speaker, author, coordinator of Ohio Short Course on Roadside Development for 31 . . . — Map (db m133016) HM

Ohio (Fayette County), Washington Courthouse — Washington Court House
On U.S. 22 near Fairview Avenue, on the right.
Settled by VA veterans of the American Revolution — Map (db m133373) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), New Albany — Mills of Plain Township
Near E. Walnut Street.
When the early settlers moved to the Ohio frontier in the early 1800s, mature trees dominated the landscape. As the region grew, water-powered mills were constructed to meet the demand for building materials cut from the nearby forest. Over time, . . . — Map (db m133301) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), New Albany — Rocky Fork Metro Park
Near Walnut Road.
This 1200-acre park is an enduring example of what is possible when vision and collaboration come together for the common good. The idea of creating this park can be traced to Keith Myers, the New Albany Village Planner from 1991 to 2012. The . . . — Map (db m133296) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Cedarville — Cedarville
On U.S. 42, on the left when traveling north.
Birthplace of U.S. Senator James H. Kyle,“Father” of Labor Day — Map (db m133229) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Dayton — In Commemoration of the Courage, Perseverance and Achievement of Wilbur and Orville Wright
On Memorial Drive.
Through original research the Wright Brothers acquired scientific Knowledge and developed theories of aerodynamics which with their invention of aileron control enabled them in 1903 to build and fly at Kitty Hawk the first power-driven man-carrying . . . — Map (db m132781) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — AmaliePennsylvania Motor Oil
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
William H. Daugherty lived in Titusville before founding the Daugherty Refinery in Petrolia, PA. Amalie was created in 1903 when L. Sonneborn & Sons bought Daugherty Refinery. It was the first refiner of mineral oils in the United States. In . . . — Map (db m134080) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Atlantic Motor Oil
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
ATLANTIC REFINING COMPANY 1859: Charles Lockhart and William Frew came to this region to drill for oil on the south bank of the Allegheny across from the mouth of Oil Creek in Venango County. Subsequently they bought out the Tarr Farm and . . . — Map (db m134083) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Drake Well
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Edwin I. Drake, a former railroad conductor , traveled to Titusville in 1857 to find and produce oil in commercial quantities Partnering with salt well driller and blacksmith "Uncle Billy" Smith, they persevered to strike oil in August 27, 1859 . . . — Map (db m133796) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Exxon
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Exxon origins can be traced to Titusville's Carter Oil, founded in 1893 by John J. Carter. Irish immigrant and Civil War veteran John J. Carter was awarded athe Medal of Honor for his bravery at the Battle of Antietam. After the war, he moved to . . . — Map (db m133824) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Gulf
On Pennsylvania Route 8 when traveling north.
Gulf Oil was one of the many companies formed at Spindletop in January 1901. In late 1901, James M. Guffey bought out the interests of his partners in the Lucas Well (Galey and Lucas) and formed the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company. Guffey received . . . — Map (db m133640) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Ida Tarbell
On Pennsylvania Route 8, on the right when traveling north.
Ida Tarbell was one of the most famous investigative journalists in American history. She was raised in Titusville during the oil boom. Her father, Franklin Tarbell, was an oil producer and investor. In 1872, she witnessed the destruction of her . . . — Map (db m133624) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — John Heisman
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Shortly after John Heisman's birth in 1869, the Heisman family moved to Titusville where his father, Michael Heisman, was an oil investor and cooper. John Heisman was educated at Titusville schools and played varsity guard on the football team, . . . — Map (db m133875) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Oil CreekPennsylvania Petroleum Products
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right.
The Oil Creek Refining Company was founded by Dennis McGraw and incorporated in 1919-20. It was a "home-owned” oil refinery and operated in East Titusville. The company was the first to market motor oil in refinery-sealed, disposable cans . . . — Map (db m134081) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Penn-Drake Motor Oils
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
The Penn Drake brand was originated by the American Oil Works of Titusville. Michael Heisman (John Heisman's father), Frank VonTacky, William Teege, and Louis Walz created the American Oil Works in Titusville in 1885. Pennsylvania Refining . . . — Map (db m133880) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Pennzoil & South Penn
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
The Pennzoil brand comes from a long history of foundings and mergers that date back to 1886 when local men Henry Suhr, Samuel Justus, and Louis Walz founded the Penn Refining Company In 1914, Penn Refining merged with Germania Refining Company, . . . — Map (db m133876) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Quaker State Motor Oil
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
In 1914, Thomas and Hopewell Phinny of Oil City created Phinny's Quaker State Medium Oil. The Phinnys were granted a trademark for Quaker State in August 1921. Quaker State was financed and marketed by J.B. Berry Brothers of Oil City. The . . . — Map (db m133879) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Spindletop
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Anthony F. Lucas began drilling a salt dome well with the Gladys City Company near Beaumont, Texas in 1899. When Lucas and his company ran out of money, John H. Galey and James M. Guffey, financed Lucas and formed a partnership named J.M. Guffey . . . — Map (db m133830) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Standard Oil Company
On Pennsylvania Route 8, on the right when traveling north.
John D. Rockefeller organized the Standard Oil Company in 1870. He owned wells in Titusville and Cleveland and began buying refineries in Pennsylvania and Ohio. By 1882, Standard Oil controlled 90% of the entire nation's refining capacity. The . . . — Map (db m133636) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Sterling Oil
On Pennsylvania Route 8, on the right when traveling north.
Sterling Oil was created in the 1890s by P.J. Bayer as a marketing vehicle for Emlenton Refinery's "Sterling" cylinder engine and Dynamo oil for Erie and Western New York. It was acquired by Eastern Refining Company during World War I. For the . . . — Map (db m133716) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Sun Oil Co./Sunoco
On Smock Blvd. (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Titusville residents Joseph Pew and E.O. Emerson organized the Sun Oil Company in March 1890. Based in Pennsylvania, Sun Oil was operated by the Pew family who became giants in refining and shipbuilding. The company went public in 1922 and was . . . — Map (db m133600) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Texaco
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Texaco was formed at Spindletop in 1901 by Joseph Cullinan and Arnold Schlaet as the Texas Fuel Company. Cullinan served as president and general manager of Texaco. Joseph Cullinan was born in Sharon, Pennsylvania and lived part of his early . . . — Map (db m133839) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Tidewater
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
In 1865, Titusville residents Byron Benson, Robert Hopkins and David McKelvy started a sawmill in Enterprise (located just outside Titusville) to finance their drilling operation; which they named the Enterprise Oil and Lumber Company. In . . . — Map (db m134082) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Union 76 Gasoline
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Created in part by Cherrytree-born brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart, Union Oil Company of California was formed in 1890. After an early start not far from here in the Shamburg oil field, and serving in the Civil War, Lyman moved to Calfornia . . . — Map (db m133872) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — ValvolinePennsylvania Motor Oils
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
In 1867 Dr. John Ellis developed cylinder oils in Pennsylvania and in 1873 was awarded a trademark for Valvoline. He marketed it as superior in quality to lard and fat in lubrication and was used by many railroads. Valvoline became the standard . . . — Map (db m133883) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Wolf's Head Oils and Lubes
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8).
In 1879, A.L. Confer constructed a refining still 18 miles from here in Reno, PA called the Empire Oil Works. He recognized a need for a better illuminating oil and used carefully controlled temperatures to create a high-quality kerosene. In . . . — Map (db m133887) HM
Vermont (Essex County), Canaan — Canaan Civil War Memorial
On Vermont Route 114 at Vermont Route 102, on the right when traveling east on State Route 114.
1861 Civil War 1865 Canaan, Vermont 3rd Vermont Volunteers Francis Baker, Chauncey Barnett, Hiram Bowen, Samuel Cable, Thomas Colby, Charles M Elliott, Thomas Farrow, George Gamsby, James Gamsby, William H. Gault, David . . . — Map (db m140268) WM
Vermont (Essex County), Canaan — Canaan Vermont War Memorials
On Vermont Route 115 near Vermont Route 102, on the right when traveling east.
Canaan Remembers 1917 - World War-1919 Canaan Honor Rolls 1950 - Korean War -1954 Jean C. Lanctot, Albert Leonard denoted as having died in service 1965 - Vietnam Conflicit - 1973 1941 - World War II - 1945 no . . . — Map (db m140467) WM
Vermont (Essex County), Lunenburg — Lunenburg Veterans Memorial
On U.S. 2 east of Park Street, on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated to the men and women who served our country Lest We Forget names were not transcribedMap (db m140446) WM
Vermont (Essex County), Lunenburgh — Lunenburgh Civil War Memorial
On West Main Street (U.S. 2) at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
In memory of our comrades in the Rebellion 1861 to 1865 Captains John S. Clark Elben J. Hartshorn Lieuts. Geo. P. French Nathan C. Cheney George W. Hill Sergeants Marshall W. Wright Solo L. Simonds Levi H. . . . — Map (db m140149) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — Franklin County Veterans Memorial
Near Main Street (Route 7) at Lake Street when traveling east.
Dedicated to Veterans In memory of and appreciation to all those men and women of Franklin County who have served, are serving and will serve in the armed services of this country Their service, dedication and . . . — Map (db m140781) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans Civil War Memorial
On S Main Street (U.S. 7) at Lake Street, on the right on S Main Street.
To Those Brave Men of St. Albans who Fought in the Civil War Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we . . . — Map (db m140579) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans War Memorial
On Main Street (U.S. 7) at Lake Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
In Memory Of Those Who Sacrificed Their Lives For Democracy That They Shall Not Have Died In Vain W.W.I Albert A. Bushey · Walter Clark · Frederick T. Coleman · Lynus Crandall · Walter T. Finn · Paul R. Grandfield · Carlton B. Hawley · . . . — Map (db m140574) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans World War Memorial
On S Main Street (U.S. 7) at Lake Street, on the right on S Main Street.
In Honor of Those Citizens of St. Albans Who at the Call of Their Country Gave Their Lives in the World War 1917-1918 This Memorial is Dedicated by A Grateful Community — Map (db m140578) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans Bay — Lucrative Trade to Leisure Vacations/Du commerce lucratif au voyage d'agrément
Near Lake Street (Vermont Route 36) at Georgia Shore Road.
When the Champlain Canal was completed in 1823 and shipping to the south opened up a huge market to the West, St. Albans merchants benefited from the boom. Canal boats sailed south up the Lake to Whitehall, and once the sails . . . — Map (db m140057) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), Swanton — 10,000 Years of Fishing/10 000 ans de pêche
Near Vermont Route 78, on the left when traveling east.
Lake Champlain: An Important Fishery for the Abenaki Native peoples have been fishing the waters of the Champlain Valley for more than 10,000 years. The first evidence of humans here dates from a time when the salty Champlain Sea . . . — Map (db m140016) HM
Vermont (Grand Isle County), Alburg — The International Boundary is Settled/ La frontière internationale est définie
Near North Main Street (U.S. 2) south of Missle Base Road, on the left when traveling east.
The peaceful international border here owes some of its location to the War of 1812 and Vermonter William Czar Bradley. The War of 1812 between the United States and Great Britain officially ended with the Treaty of Ghent, signed December 24, . . . — Map (db m140028) HM

1167 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 767
Paid Advertisement