Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1176 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 401 through 601 are listed. Previous 200 Next 576
 
In Honor Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, April 21, 2019
In Honor Marker
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso
Important as a centre for the North Atlantic fisheries from the 16th century, the islands in Canso Harbour offered a safe haven for fishermen. First frequented by the French and Basques, the area became the site of an extensive . . . — Map (db m138598) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso Soldiers Memorial
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War Canso Louis Dort, Vernon Earle, Roy Greencorn, Lee Martin Hart, Arthur S. Horton, James B. Keating, Percy J. Lumsden, James Arthur Manuel, . . . — Map (db m140441) WM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Harbour Traffic/Le traffic du port
Only a century ago the spars of many schooners filled this harbour. Vessels from Lunenburg and the "Boston States" entered to take on bait, ice and water before sailing to the banks offshore. Canso shipyards constructed smaller coastal . . . — Map (db m140521) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — In Memory of Tusker 914 En mémoire deJuly 13, 2006
On July 13, 2006 a Canadian Forces helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron carrying seven crew members who were exercising rescue techniques with local Canadian Coast Guard auxiliary members crashed in Canso Harbour. . . . — Map (db m139669) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — The Canso Islands/ Les îles Canso
During the seventeenth century French fishermen came from Cape Breton, across Chedabucto Bay, to fish for cod in thirty foot shallops. Later, the New England colonists came in their schooners. They fished the Banks and dried their fish . . . — Map (db m140536) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — We Heard the News First/Nous étions les premiers à avoir les nouvelles
On May 23, 1881, the steamer Faraday landed a transatlantic telegraph cable at Dover Bay. The cable allowed the news of Europe to flash underneath the ocean for 2,531 nautical miles. The European news arrived in Canso and Hazel Hill . . . — Map (db m140501) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Welcome to Canso Harbour/Bienvenue au Port de Canso
This is a place where seafaring people found shelter from the harshness of the Northwest Atlantic. It is the most easterly point of mainland Nova Scotia, remote and exposed upon Chedabucto peninsula, yet close to the fishing banks so . . . — Map (db m140505) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Where Fishermen Meet/Lieu de rencontre des pêcheurs
Fishermen sailed to this coast before the earliest explorers. In the early 1600s French and Basque fishermen dropped handlines in the waters. By 1725 New Englanders were pulling in cod worth 150,000 pounds (New England currency) . . . — Map (db m140554) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — #5 Radar Unit R.C.A.F StationQueensport/Cole Harbour — 1942-1945 —
During this three year period approximately 180 officers and men operated, serviced, or otherwise gave support to a radar unit on this site. — Map (db m139278) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — We Will Remember/Nous Nous Souviendrons
Welcome to #5 Radar Unit. RCAF Queensport / Cole Harbour. Bienvenue à Ja Sieme unité de radar deP'ARC, située à Queensport / Cole Harbour. This base, along with ten others situated along the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Was tasked with . . . — Map (db m139288) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — GuysboroughThe Court House
The Court House was constructed in 1842-43. It was the third court house built in Guysborough, the original administrative centre of Sydney County from 1785-1827. Sydney County included present-day Guysborough and Antigonish Counties. Built in . . . — Map (db m139264) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Guysborough — Henry Marshall Tory1864-1947
Born at Port Shoreham, N.S., educated at Guysborough Academy and at McGill, Tory served as professor at McGill (1893-1905), Principal of McGill College, Vancouver (1906-7), first President of the University of Alberta (1908-28), and . . . — Map (db m138221) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Halfway Cove — The Voyage of Prince Henry SinclairThe Chronicles of Prince Henry Sinclair’s Voyage to the New World in 1398
The Voyage of Prince Henry Sinclair to the New World in 1398 On June 2, 1398 Henry Sinclair allegedly set foot in North America on the sandbar of Guysborough Harbour. His fleet consisted of 12 ships with between 200-300 men on board, a . . . — Map (db m139656)
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 4 — Acadian Dyke Building Along the Bay of FundyConstruction de digues le long de la Baie de Fundy
The first settlers of Port Royal must have been aware of the extraordinary fertility of the immense salt marshes that surrounded them The height of the wild grasses alone would have been a clear sign of very productive soil. Until the . . . — Map (db m141244) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 9 — Chezzetcook, Tracadie and Havre Boucher
Many of the Acadians who escaped, or survived the Great Upheaval of 1755 to 1763, either died of exposure, or were captured and imprisoned as "Prisoners of War". Makeshift detention centers were often old trading posts such as Fort Edward . . . — Map (db m141399) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Founding Families of the Acadian Communities Along Tor Bay 1797-1900Familles fondatrices Acadiennes dela Région de Tor Baie 1797-1900
This monument is the creation of Raymond Delorey of Larrys River and the idea was conceived by members of "la Société des Acadiens de la Région de Tor Baie” under the direction of its Executive, President, Jude Avery, Vice President, . . . — Map (db m141175) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 1 — French Expeditions Aimed At Settling North AmericaExpéditions françaises destinées à s'établir en Amérique du Nord
In 1603, Henry IV, King of France, granted Pierre Dugas, Sieur de Monts, the right to colonize lands in North America between the 40th and 60th degree north latitude. Along with the right to colonize that extensive region, his company was . . . — Map (db m141181) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 5 — Grand-Pré
Grand Pré (large meadow) settlement began in 1682 when a few families from Port Royal moved there. It is situated near the shores of Minas Basin, an inlet that empties into the Bay of Fundy. By 1707, the population had grown to 580 . . . — Map (db m141256) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Le Parc de nos AncêtresThe Park of Our Ancestors
Welcome to our Commemorative Park! This development is a direct result of a cultural awakening following local festivities in 2004, in conjunction with the World Congress of Acadians, which was celebrated throughout Nova Scotia. Our people . . . — Map (db m141146) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 3 — Samuel de Champlain Meets Captain Savalette On Shores of Tor BayChamplain rencontre le Capitaine Savalette sur les Côtes de Tor Baie
French cartographer and geographer, Samuel de Champlain met Basque fisherman and fishery entrepreneur, Captain Savalette, on the north shores of Tor Bay in 1607. According to authenticated records, Champlain and a group of explorers, . . . — Map (db m141209) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 2 — Settlement of l’Acadie 1604/1605L’établissement de l’Acadie, 1604/1605
Arriving in 1604, the French settlers built a fort on a small island named Ile Ste Croix at the mouth of the Ste. Croix River, which separates present day New Brunswick and Maine. After a disastrous winter, where 35 of the 79 men died of . . . — Map (db m141190) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 10 — Settlement of the Tor Bay Area circa 1797
After many visits to this eastern coastline region of mainland Nova Scotia between the years 1763 and 1797, a determined group of Acadian families from Chezzetcook, who were once again searching for peace and freedom, decided that the . . . — Map (db m141401) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 6 — The Great Upheaval 1755-1763Le grand dérangement
With the founding of Halifax in 1749 as a British naval base, the Acadians became the target of concern and possible displacement. Demands on them to accept and sign an "oath of allegiance” to the British crown were made several . . . — Map (db m141258) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 8 — The ResettlementRétablissement
The Deportation began in 1755 and ended with the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1763. This Treaty not only ended what was perhaps the greatest human atrocity committed in British North America but it also gave Acadians the right to . . . — Map (db m141389) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 7 — The Scattering of a PeopleLa dispersion d’un peuple
Over the next eight years, or until the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1763, the Great Upheaval continued in what has become known as the first act of "ethnic cleansing” in North America. In an ill-conceived and desperate plan . . . — Map (db m141274) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Tor BayFirst Successful Direct Commercial Cable Landing
To commemorate the landing at Tor Bay (Port Faraday) on September 15, 1875, of the first direct commercial cable to successfully transmit messages from England to the mainland of North America — Map (db m138590) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Port Felix — Captain Savalette
Every summer for more than 40 years, beginning in 1565, this Basque fisherman from Saint-Jean-de-Euz sailed to Eskikewa'kik, a district of Mi’kma’ki within the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq. Here, his crew caught codfish, which . . . — Map (db m138605) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Port Felix — Welcome to Place Savalette
Welcome to Place Savalette This park has been developed to mark and explain the site of the historic 1607 meeting between Basque fisherman/entrepreneur, Captain Savalette and explorer/cartographer Samuel de Champlain on the shores . . . — Map (db m139825) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Queensport — Our Forefathers
Early European Settlers The first European settlers of Queensport -- then known as Crow Harbour – bore family names of Digdon, Lamb, Lindsay, Sherlock, and Smith. The latter two families established a large fishing enterprise in the . . . — Map (db m140674) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Queensport — Queensport, Guysborough County
A Community linked to the Sea Queensport was a fishing village community long before the first European settlers arrived here in the 1700s. Each spring and summer, the aboriginal Mi’kmaq would gather to harvest fish, one of the most . . . — Map (db m141232) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Folklore & Trivia
Folklore of Whitehead In April of about 1880, a brig sailed into Whitehead Harbour, claiming to be headed to Greenland whaling. Strangely, it had no name, and no one was allowed aboard or ashore. They stayed in harbor about a week. . . . — Map (db m140380) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Port Felix
Village of Port Felix/Molasses Harbour Early Acadians called Port Felix Molasses Harbour because of a keg of molasses washing up on shore. Many Acadian settlers arrived about 1797 after the fall of Louisbourg. Following the American . . . — Map (db m140390) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — The Canal
The Whitehead Canal is located between Whitehead Harbour and Witch Cove. Prior to its construction, fishermen had to haul their boats over a narrow beach between Whitehead and Molasses Harbour (now Port Felix) at a spot known as "The Haulover". . . . — Map (db m139515) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Whitehead
Early names of the community were Martingot and Tete Blanche. Lovell's 1871 Directory of Nova Scotia said "Whitehaven is a fishing settlement intended to be the terminus of the inter-colonial railway. The harbour is one of the finest on the . . . — Map (db m140352) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Yankee Cove
Many yards in Whitehead boast a lilac bush which originated from the lilac bushes in Yankee Cove Kayak/boating enthusiasts love the scenic voyage through "The Runs” via Yankee Cove & The Basin. 1760 – Seasonal fishermen began . . . — Map (db m140377) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — D-Day/Jour J1944
D-Day and the Battle of Normandy 6 June-21 August 1944 After months of elaborate planning, the largest seaborne invasion in modern history commenced on 6 June 1944 (D-Day) to liberate northwestern Europe from German . . . — Map (db m139666) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Giovanni Caboto
La regione del Veneto Alla Provincia di Novara Scozia in occasoine del quinto centenario dell arrivo in Canada di Giovanni Caboto Halifax 23 Augusto, 1997 The Veneto Region To the Province of Nova Scotia on . . . — Map (db m139853) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Lebanese Immigrants
This monument is a universal symbol of a proud, strong and globally united Lebanese community. The statue honours the early Lebanese settlers who, 130 years ago, established a presence in this country, sewing the bonds of loyalty, faith, . . . — Map (db m139674) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Ocean Terminals/le terminal ocean terminals
National Historic Civil Engineering Site Ocean Terminals 1912-1928 A tribute to the civil engineers and contractors who designed and built these ocean terminals Canadian Society for Civil Engineering June 1998 Site historique . . . — Map (db m139330) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Port of Halifax/Port de Halifax
English: The Port of Halifax is one of the world’s finest natural harbours. Ice-free year-round, its main channel depth of over 18 metres (60 feet) offers shippers some of the deepest and most navigable waters along the North American . . . — Map (db m140099) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary
In honour of the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International, Rotary Clubs of Halifax are pleased to join Waterfront Development Corporation limited in creating this performance platform and lookoff as a gift to the people of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m139326) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Women and the Second World War/Les femmes et la Seconde Guerre mondiale1939-1945
Women in Canada and Newfoundland significantly contributed to Allied victory. Whereas women were military nurses during the First World War, more than 50,000 were now serving in uniform as non-combatants in all three armed services . . . — Map (db m139663) HM
Nova Scotia (Hants County), Stanley — Alden Nowlan
In memory Alden Nowlan Jan. 25, 1933- June 27, 1983. Birthplace, childhood home Stanley, N.S. Poet, novelist, playwright There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel's veins and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose . . . — Map (db m138569) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Belle Côte — Belle Côte War MemorialOur Heroic Dead
1914-1918 John F. Chiasson Dominique F. Doucet Thomas Doucet Gabriel A. LeBanc Joseph H. McDaniel Daniel J. McDaniel Alexander E. MacDougall J. Ronald MacLellan Neil K. MacNeil Albert B. Miller Stanley Munro Angus Ross . . . — Map (db m139815) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Chéticamp War MemorialDieu et Patrie — For God and Country —
En mémoire des paroissiens de Chéticamp morts dans les deux guerres mondiales In memory of the parishioners of Chéticamp who died in the two World Wars 1914 - 1918 Hypolite H. AuCoin Hubert AuCoin William W. . . . — Map (db m139821) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Cheticamp — Jeanne Dugas
The life story of Jeanne Dugas illustrates the experiences of Acadíans in the second half of the 18th century. She and her family fled Ile Royale (Cape Breton Island) to escape the deportation of 1758, but were later captured by the . . . — Map (db m139618) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Cabot TrailSt. Pierre’s Church and Father Fiset/L'église Saint-Pierre et le Pere Fiset
Built in 1893, St-Pierre's Church majestically watches over the Acadian community of Chéticamp. An imposing 212 feet long, 74 feet wide and with a steeple rising to 167 feet, St-Pierre's lavish Baroque interior and original . . . — Map (db m139872) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Gypsum Mine/La Mine De Plâtre
Father Pierre Fiset, Chéticamp parish priest, is generally recognized as being responsible for starting the gypsum mine in Chéticamp in 1907. When news broke that a prospector named Grandin had found gypsum in Chéticamp, Father Fiset . . . — Map (db m139335) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), St. Joseph du Moine — St. Joseph du Moine War Memorial
En memoire des défunts combattants des dux guerres mondiales In memory of the fallen soldiers of the two World Wars 1914 - 1918 Arsene F. Cormier Daniel S. Leblanc Jean D. Doucet Elie P. Poirier Jean S. . . . — Map (db m139818) WM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Acacia Villa School
This cairn marks the site of the Acacia Villa School for Boys. Founded in 1852 by Joseph R. Hea, he was principal until 1860. Arthur McNutt Patterson was principal from 1860 to 1907. His son, Arthur H. Patterson was principal from 1907 to . . . — Map (db m139030) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Grand Pre Marsh Body1760-1995
This plaque commemorates the 235th year of the Grand Pre Marsh Body 1760-1995 in honour of the dykeland farmers, past and present, for their 235 years of dedication and sacrifice, and their continuing struggle to protect and maintain these . . . — Map (db m138789) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand PréPlan of Horton Town/ Le Plan De Ville de Horton
In 1759, the British authorities subdivided Nova Scotia into counties. The County of Kings was divided into three townships: Cornwallis; Falmouth and Horton. The Horton Town Plot (or plan), sited on the hills above Horton Landing and . . . — Map (db m139033) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Memorial Church/L'église-souvenir
L'église-souvenir Un témoignage durable L'église-souvenir représente l'attachement profond du peuple acadien au lieu historique national du Canada de Grand-Pré. Construite en 1922 grâce à des fonds recueillis . . . — Map (db m140428) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Site de l'école Acacia Villa/Site of Acacia Villa School1852-1920
Fondue avant l'avènement de l'education publique en Nouvelle-Écosse, cette école a offert une éducation classique et morale aux fils de familles aisées des Maritimes. L'école accueillait quelques externes, mais la plupart des élèves étaient . . . — Map (db m138917) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — The Attack at Grand Pré/La bataille Grand Pré
On February 11, 1747 Grand Pré was the scene of a surprise attack on Col. Arthur Noble's detachment of British troops from Massachusetts who were billeted in the houses of the inhabitants. A French and Indian force under Coulon de . . . — Map (db m140191) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — The Landscape of Grand Pré/Le Paysage de Grand-PréHow the Battle Unfolded/Le déroulement de la bataille
How the Battle Unfolded During the first half of the 18th century, France and Great Britain were at war for imperial domination of North America. Most Acadians, including those at Grand Pré, wanted to stay out of the conflict and be . . . — Map (db m140430) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — Democracy and the New England Planters/La démocratie et les Planters de la Nouvelle-Angleterre
To entice the Planters to settle in Nova Scotia, the British colonial administration introduced an elected legislature in 1758, a form of representative government they had long known in New England. In the decades after their settlement . . . — Map (db m140209) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — New England Planters/Les planters de la Nouvelle-Angeleterre
In 1759, New England farmers and fishermen sent agents to Halifax to discuss with Governor Lawrence the settlement of the undeveloped areas of the province. Substantial immigration began in 1760 and, by late 1763, several thousand . . . — Map (db m140207) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — The Arrival of the New England Planters/L'arrivée des Planters de la Nouvelle-Angleterre
In the 1760’s, this spot was one of many to witness an influx of settlers from New England. The Planters called this region Horton Landing, a name it retains to this day. Within the Minas area, the newcomers established four agricultural . . . — Map (db m140222) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — The Tragedy of the Deportation/La tragédie de la Déportation
In 1755, the worldwide struggle for empire between Great Britain and France had tragic consequences for the Acadians of Les Mines and elsewhere in Nova Scotia/Acadie Lt-Col. John Winslow was the Massachusetts officer in charge of the . . . — Map (db m140393) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Hortonville — Horton Landing Cross
Le lit desséché du crique que l’on aperçoit dans le pré à quelques pas d’ici est l’endroit ou furent embarques sur les chaloupes les victimes du Grand Dérangement de 1755 pour être transbordes sur les transports ancres dans le Bassin des Mines. . . . — Map (db m138777) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Mussel Power/Les moules plus d'une utilité
The bottom of the bay is like a giant compost bin. Seaweed and shellfish collect here when they die, and form a thick, black mud. The decomposing shells create high lime content, making "mussel mud” a perfect fertilizer for the . . . — Map (db m139444) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — St. Peters
Early British settlers were more interested in farming than in fishing. By the early 1800s, a small village began to grow farther inland. Here the bay was narrow and easily crossed - first by ferry, later by bridge. St. Peters . . . — Map (db m139407) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Murray Harbour — Murray Harbour War Memorial
In grateful tribute to the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice have made Canada great is this shrine dedicated Killed in action or died in service War of 1914-1918 Gordon Mackay Clarence Reynolds . . . — Map (db m139450) WM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — André the SealSculpture by Jane Wasey — 1978 —
André was born on Robinson’s Rock in Penobscot Bay on May 16, 1961. Abandoned at birth, he was found, befriended, raised and trained by Harry Goodridge of Rockport, Maine. André is honorary harbor master of Rockport Harbor and is a celebrity of more . . . — Map (db m124338) HM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — The Rockport Lime Kilns
During the 19th Century, Rockport was a major supplier of lime to East Coast markets. These kilns converted limestone rock supplied by 15 local quarries into lime used to make mortar & finish plaster. The burned lime was packed into wooden casks and . . . — Map (db m124348) HM
Maine (Lincoln County), Christmas Cove — In Grateful Memory of Ensign Richard Rundlett WellsUSN 1896-1918
Who was born and grew to young manhood at Christmas Cove. Bred in the tradition of the sea, he was swift to volunteer when his country entered the Great War. He won a commission for meritorious service and gave his life in heroic performance of his . . . — Map (db m126922) HM WM
New York (Greene County), Windham — In Honor
of the citizens of the Town of Windham, N.Y. who served their country during the World War 1917-1919

(names not transcribed)Map (db m132654) WM

New York (Greene County), Windham — Trinity Church
Incorporated May 20, 1799. Earliest Episcopal organization of old Town of Windham — Map (db m132635) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Hoffmeister — Town of Morehouse War Memorials
This Tablet erected in honor of those who served from the Town of Morehouse in World War II George F. Remonda Died in Service Raymond E. Boh   George Lewis Nelson G. Easton   Claude L. Pardee Kenneth J. Edick   . . . — Map (db m137094) WM
New York (Hamilton County), Piseco — Riley Tavern
One of the oldest buildings in Piseco cicra 1880. Used as a tavern, and post office. Original location was just south of here — Map (db m137241) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — First Town Hall
1894 The first town hall was built. 1937 The library joined the town offices. 1965 The building became a library only. 2002 The library moved. 2006 The building became the historical museum — Map (db m137052) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Gene Tunney Park
Gene Tunney enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps from high school and served in France during World War I. While there, he boxed in military tournaments as a marine for the entertainment of the American troops. At the end of the war, he returned . . . — Map (db m137056) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Grace Methodist Episcopal Church
The cornerstone of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Speculator was laid on November 15, 1908. The church was incorporated on June 19, 1909. It was completed and dedicated in October, 1909. — Map (db m137055) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Site of Buyce's Blacksmith ShopEstablished in 1889
John F. Buyce was a horseshoer, blacksmith, wheelwright, builder of wagons, sleighs, and the famous Buyce Boats — Map (db m136269) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Site of Lake Pleasant House
Built around 1858 by Edgar Dunnin. Later known as the Adirondack Hotel, Lee Fountien's Hotel, The Anibal Hotel, and the Brook's Hotel. Here French Louie the hermit, trapper and guide died in 1915. — Map (db m136273) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Cold Brook — In Grateful Memory
In Grateful Memory of These who Gave all In World War II Malcolm L. Blue Walter L. Bullock Worden D. Coffin Clyde W. Davis Burr DeWitt Lawrence J. Fitzpatrick Earl Nelson Irwin Harry F. Kested Walter J. Lamphier . . . — Map (db m137092) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Columbia Center — Masonic Lodge
Masonic Lodge Built by D. V. W. Golden 1812 for Warren Lodge No. 155 Organized March 4, 1807 Ceased paying dues 1818. — Map (db m141366) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Columbia Center — Petrie’s Corners
Petrie’s Corners On route of scout Adam F. Helmer's famous run to warn settlers of German Flatts of approach of Brant's Indians September 17, 1778 — Map (db m141358) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Dolgeville — Brockett's Bridge1829-1892
Gave its name to this village on the military road. A hotel, post office , and Liberty Pole were nearby. — Map (db m136740) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Fairfield — Fairfield Academy
Fairfield Academy was organized in 1802 when the community was an active local manufacturing center. The Board of Regents granted the academy a charter in 1803. A separate medical department became the College of Physicians and Surgeons of the . . . — Map (db m137010) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Fairfield — Fairfield Academy
On this campus Fairfield Academy was founded in 1802, the funds being raised by a committee headed by Captain Moses Mather. In 1803, it was incorporated by the Regents of the University of the State of New York and in 1812 the College of . . . — Map (db m137177) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Fairfield — Maltanner Creek
Named for Maltanner family, tenants ca, 1770, of Sir Wm. Johnson's Royal Grant extending between East and West Canada Creeks. — Map (db m136747) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Fairfield — Trinity Church
Organized Jan. 5, 1807. Consecrated by Bishop Moore "Mother Church" of local Episcopal Churches. National Register 1993. — Map (db m136830) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Frankfort — Mary Myers1859-1932 — "Carlotta The Lady Aeronaut" —
Made many ballon ascensions and assisted her husband with aeronautic experiments — Map (db m137289) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Frankfurt — Balloon Farm
Carlotta and Carl Myers invented and manufactured balloons here in the 1880's. Their balloon ascensions were attractions at fairs. — Map (db m137291) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilion — Challenger Memorial
To the memory of those who placed country above self. January 28, 1986 Francis R. Scobee Michael J. Smith Ellison S. Onizuka Judith A. Resnik Ronald E. McNair Gregory B. Jarvis S. Christa McAuliffe — Map (db m137293) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilion — Ilion Great War Memorial
This tablet records the devotion of the sons of Ilion who gave their service to their country in the Great World War. In the hour of need they made the supreme gift of themselves going to meet toil, privation, suffering and death with steady . . . — Map (db m137315) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilon — Ilon Civil War Memorial
1861-1865 In Memory Of Our Heroes Who Served In The Defence Of The Union — Map (db m142405) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Jordanville — Public Library
Public Library Given to the community by the Robinson family. Dedicated by President Theodore Roosevelt on August 26, 1908. — Map (db m141368) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — A Bridge for BoatsThe Little Falls Aqueduct
The pile of rocks in front of you is all that is left of a massive 214-foot-long aqueduct that once carried water and canal boats across the Mohawk River, connecting the original Erie Canal to a boat basin on the Western Inland Lock Navigation . . . — Map (db m131184) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Benton Hall Academy1895
Originally constructed in 1895 and completely reconstructed in 1997, Benton Hall is one of the oldest public school buildings still in use in New York State — Map (db m131122) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Benton’s LandingNathaniel Benton — 1792-1869 —
Nathaniel Benton came to Little Falls as a War of 1812 veteran and opened a law office here in 1819. His young but flourishing practice enabled him to marry Sarah Britton and to build for her the fine Greek Revival home which now houses the W.C.A. . . . — Map (db m131126) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Brave Defenders1877
To the brave defenders of our Union — Map (db m131123) HM WM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — David L. BassRecipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor — Battle of Fort Fisher —
Citation: On board the U.S.S. Minnesota in action during the assault on Fort Fisher, 15 January 1865. Landing on the beach with the assaulting party from his ship, S/man Bass advanced to the top of the sand hill and partly through the breach . . . — Map (db m131125) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Honor Roll
. . . — Map (db m131127) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Little FallsWater Power for Sale/A Valley Corridor/Historic Sites and Community Services
Water Power for Sale The Little Falls of the Mohawk have been providing power for local mills and factories since 1770. An Industrial Center Over the centuries workers in Little Falls have created woolen and cotton knit . . . — Map (db m131349) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Shaping the CityA Family Legacy
The Burrell family were leading businessmen in Little Falls for generations. Their work as cheese producers, brokers, and suppliers helped to make this city a national center for the dairy industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. . . . — Map (db m131233) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — The Cheese BusinessSupplying the Demand
Over two hundred cheese-makers regularly attended the Little Falls cheese market on Ann St. Most of the cheese factories were located in Herkimer County north of the Mohawk River. Competition was brisk, so the highest prices were often paid. The . . . — Map (db m131230) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — The Street Cheese Market"Little Falls is the Greatest Place for Cheese"
"The farmers bring in that article of consumption every Monday and so great is the rush that the police of the place are on duty all the time to preserve order and keep the streets free from obstruction. The cheese is shipped from here to New York . . . — Map (db m131228) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — The World's Best CheddarHerkimer County Cheese
In the years after the Civil War, nearly half of all the cheese made in America came from New York State. The best came from Herkimer County cows that grazed on the limestone rich pastures of this region. Local cheese-makers were able to capture . . . — Map (db m131222) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Window on the Past
Main Street has always been the place to go in Little Falls for the necessities of life whether it’s something for the home, something to eat, or something to wear. Look east on Main Street from this sign(on your right) and you can still see the . . . — Map (db m131128) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Middleville — Fenner Farm
Deed 1788 to "Major” Daniel Fenner of Adams, Mass.; wife Lydia Arnold. Later owners, George Fenner, Anson Fenner, Charlotte (Fenner) Arnold. — Map (db m136718) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Middleville — Middleville War Memorial
This memorial dedicated to the gallant men and women from our community who served their country in peace and war. — Map (db m136834) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Middleville — Veterans Memorial in Middleville
In memory of all who have served our Country — Map (db m137090) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — F.E. Spinner Home
Herkimer Co. Sheriff 1834 Member of Congress 1854-60 Appointed Treasurer of the United States by Lincoln Served 1861-1875 — Map (db m137296) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — Mohawk War Memorial
In honor and in memory of the men and women from the Mohawk area who served in the armed forces of the United States We Will RememberMap (db m137341) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — Trail of Scout
Adam T. Helmer entering the Mohawk Valley to warn German Flatts of approach of Brant's Indians on September 17, 1778 — Map (db m137314) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Benjamin Bowen House
One of the original settlers of Newport, NY. Federal Georgian Four-Square native limestone, circa 1812 — Map (db m137044) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Linus Yale
Octagonal house built about 1850 by Linus Yale, inventor of the Yale Lock — Map (db m137004) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Masonic TempleNewport Lodge #455
Free and Accepted Masons Organized 1858 Erected building 1902 Dedicated 1903 — Map (db m137038) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Newport Stone Arch Bridge
Built of native limestone in 1853, by Thomas Fox National Register 1992 — Map (db m137046) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Newport War Memorials
center plaque: Dedicated to the Memory of Guy Bateman Daniel Toomey Theodore Morey Who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War left plaque: Dedicated to the memory of Kenneth Fischer Who made the . . . — Map (db m137110) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — The Yale Lock
was first made by Linus Yale in a shop on this site 1847. — Map (db m137002) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Salisbury — Bell Purchased 7 May 1831
Bell purchased 7 May 1831 by the Baptist and Universalist Societies of Salisbury for the church erected in 1831 and occupied principally by the American Baptists. The church stood across the highway from 1831-1946 on the site of the present . . . — Map (db m137089) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Salisbury — John Faville
Settled here about 1779. The first town meeting was organized in 1797 at Hacklet's Tavern on this property. — Map (db m136978) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Salisbury Center — Town of Salisbury War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of the Town of Salisbury who served their in war and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m136750) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Van Hornesville — Owen D. Young1874-1962
This Public School was the gift of Owen D. Young 1874-1962 who was born and went to school in this village, and throughout a distinguished career in law, industry, education and foreign affairs maintained here in Van Hornesville . . . — Map (db m141369) HM
New York (Livingston County), Geneseo — 498 — Shaw Sisters
Home of Nicholas Shaw Fraser and Eleanor Shaw Smith ca. 1910-1948. Held offices in state and national women's suffrage organizations. — Map (db m142147) HM
New York (Livingston County), Hemlock — Hemlock World War II Memorial1941 - 1945
In Honor Of Those From Hemlock Who Served In World War II And In Memory Of Those Who Gave Their Lives Claude Abbey Carl A. Drain Elbert L. Knapp — Map (db m142150) WM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Lenox Anti-Slavery SocietyLA-SS
300 feet north of here, the Lenox Anti-Slavery Society was organized at the former First Presbyterian Church on December 7, 1836 — Map (db m139567) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Milton DelanoHome of
Home of Milton Delano. Clerk of Town of Old Lenox. Twice elected Sheriff of Madison County. Member of Congress 1888-1892 — Map (db m139563) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Quality Hill Green
A company of horse artillery drilled here during the War of 1812 — Map (db m139565) HM
New York (Madison County), Chittenango — Lamplighters Cart
The lamplighter used this cart to maintain the village streetlamps. He would use a long pole to light the lamps each evening and put them out each morning. During the day he would use the cart to carry fuel and materials to maintain . . . — Map (db m139569) HM
New York (Madison County), Wampsville — Madison County War Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in grateful tribute to the madison county men and women who so unselfishly served their Country in the armed forces — Map (db m139545) WM
New York (Monroe County), Brighton — The Genesee Expressway
Yes, it looks like an ordinary highway. But Interstate 390, also known as the "Genesee Expressway” has an impressive family history. The Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways is the root of this . . . — Map (db m131801) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Irondequoit War Memorial
Dedicated to all the men and women of Irondequoit who served their country with respect and devotion. — Map (db m137316) WM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Auburn Line Park
Location of Samuel Hildreth's stagecoach barns 1814-1834. Route of the Auburn & Rochester railroad line serving Pittsford from 1840-1989 — Map (db m131104) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Bausch & Lomb Riverside ParkEmpires in America/Securing Western New York/Elmwood Avenue Bridge
Empires in America After Christopher Columbus discovered America in 1492, European invaders claimed it for themselves. By the middle of the eighteenth century, France, England, and Spain claimed possession of most of the North American . . . — Map (db m131876) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 505 — Douglass Home
Frederick and Anna Douglass lived in a home on this site with their 5 children, 1848-1851 Welcomed freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad — Map (db m128546) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 506 — First RIT Campus
Rochester Athenaeum est. 1829 Mechanics Institute est. 1885 located here. Merged 1891 & renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944. — Map (db m128545) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Highland ParkCity Views, Country Views
Visitors standing atop the 46-foot tall pavilion that once stood on this site could admire views of both downtown Rochester and the Bristol Hills. The high point of Highland Park was crowned by the Children's Pavilion, a round two- . . . — Map (db m137322) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Is this the Erie Canal?
The canal below your feet was constructed as part of the NYS Barge Canal. Started in 1905 and completed in 1918, it widened older canal sections and built new waterways to accommodate larger barges. This was a new section that bypassed the original . . . — Map (db m131804) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Jefferson Avenue
Jefferson Avenue was initially settled in the late 1800s by German immigrants, Irish immigrants followed. In 1888 Jefferson Avenue was formed by the connection of Frances and North Francis Streets, and renamed in honor of President Thomas . . . — Map (db m135317) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — RochesterAn American “Boom Town”
On March 21, 1817, Rochesterville officially became a village of 655 acres and 700 inhabitants. A few months later on July 4, construction began on the Erie Canal - the man-made channel that would soon transform this wilderness settlement into . . . — Map (db m135313) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Rochester Water WorksHighland Reservoir — Celebrating 125 Years of Pure Wholesome Water 1876-2001 —
This plaque is dedicated to the original founders of the Rochester Water Works, and the hundreds of succeeding Water Bureau employees who have carried on the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the City's water supply . . . — Map (db m137308) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Canalway Trail
Nope. No mules here. The Erie Canal song relates “I’ve got a mule and her name is Sal.” Sorry, but Sal would not be pulling boats along this trail. This canal was constructed as the Barge Canal between 1905-1918 when boats traveled by . . . — Map (db m131796) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Children's Pavilion
The Children's Pavilion, a key element of Fredrick Law Olmstead's design plan for Highland Park, stood on this site for 73 ears. A gift of George Ellwanger and Patrick Barry, the pavilion was dedicated September 1890 to the children of Rochester. . . . — Map (db m137321) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Genesee
Full many fair and famous streams beneath the sun there be, But more to us than any seems our own dear Genesee. We love her banks and stately falls, for to our minds they bring Our dear old Alma Mater's halls, where sweetest memories cling. . . . — Map (db m131259) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Lehigh Valley Railroad Bridge
Usually you build a bridge to avoid an obstacle in the way -but sometimes the obstacle shows up later. The Lehigh Valley Railroad was the last major railroad to built in New York State. It transported coal from the mines in the Lehigh Valley of . . . — Map (db m131229) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Welcome to Genesee Valley ParkGenesee Riverway Trail/Greenway Trail/Erie Canalway Trail
Genesee Valley Park Genesee Valley Park was the second of the original parks in Rochester to be designed by Frederick Law Oldsted. Historic parkland with rolling lawn, groves of mature trees, and placid river views on both sides of the . . . — Map (db m131882) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Willie Walker Lightfoot“Keeper of the Avenue”
Willie Walker Lightfoot lived and worked on Jefferson Avenue from 1954 to 2001. Athlete, community leader, father, elected official, friend, grandfather, musician, mentor... for over 50 years, Willie was a strong voice for SouthWest Rochester, . . . — Map (db m135320) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — World War II
In honor of those from the Nineteenth Ward who served their country in World War II. May their example always be an inspiration to those in whose care rests the welfare of our beloved country — Map (db m131218) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — American Revolution War/War of 1812
American Revolution War April 19, 1775-September 3, 1783 Some of Rush's earliest settlers were those men who served in the American Revolution or the 1779 Sullivan Expedition. The Sullivan Expedition, also known as the . . . — Map (db m142306) HM WM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — Rush Civil War MonumentApril 12, 1961 - May 9, 1865
( top photo) Jacob Stull Galentine (1835-1905) enlisted with the New York 136th Volunteers at age 28. He was born and grew up in Rush, the son of John and Isabella Stull Galentine. This 1888 photograph was taken at the NY 126th monument . . . — Map (db m142360) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 1964 Bell UH-1D Iroquois “Huey”
The most widely used military helicopter, the Bell UH-1 series Iroquois, better known as the “Huey,” began arriving in Vietnam in 1963. Before the end of the conflict, more than 5,000 of these versatile aircraft were introduced into . . . — Map (db m141049) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 5th Ward War Memorial
To perpetuate the names of those members of the community who served in the armed forces of our Country during World War II 1941-1945 In Memoriam Andrew Zepetelli Anthony Petitti Edward Meyers John Lenahan Harold . . . — Map (db m137348) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Adriucha
Site of first mill west of Schenectady 1700. Land purchased 1600 by Philip DeGroot family. Land part of Comfort Patent — Map (db m130693) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Amsterdam World War Memorial
In memory of those who served in the World War 1914’-1918. Let us serve our country in peace as they did in war. Roll of Veterans names was not transcribedMap (db m136956) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Claus Mansion200 Ft South
Built 1762 by Sir Wm. Johnson for his daughter Nancy. [It] stood between the river and the present railroad track. — Map (db m136954) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Manny’s Corners CemeteryAbout 1790
Contains graves of four Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m130669) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — North American T-2 Buckeye United States Naval Test Pilot School
A T-2c Buckeye, assigned to the United States Naval Test Pilot School at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, MD. The United States Naval Test Pilot School (USNTPS) provides instruction to experienced pilots, flight officers, and engineers in the . . . — Map (db m141050) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Old Manny Inn
Was on lot 8, sub-division of lot 1 of the 13th patent. Sold to Gabriel Manny 1804. Came into possession of Ross family in 1839. — Map (db m130787) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Pvt. Frank J. Sirchia MemorialDedicated in Memory of All Veterans
In honor of Frank J. Sirchia Born March 1, 1924 Killed in action June 6, 1944 on the Normandy Beachhead in France 29th Infantry Division — Map (db m137662) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — This is Mohawk CountryHistoric New York
The majestic Mohawk Valley has been the scene of many key events which have helped to shape the character and destiny of New York State and the nation. This was once the home of the proud Mohawks, one of the main tribes of the powerful six-nation . . . — Map (db m130806) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Town of Florida Veterans Memorial
In Honor of All Who Served Back Face: Lest We Forget. In the final choice, a soldier’s pack is not so heavy a burden as a prisoner’s chains – President Dwight D. Eisenhower Eternal Vigilance is the Price of . . . — Map (db m140810) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Canajoharie
Name means "pot that washes itself.” The pothole is in bed of creek below at entrance to Canajoharie Gorge — Map (db m130954) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Canajoharie/Canalway Trail/Pathway Through Mountains
The Town and Village of Canajoharie take their name from the ancient Mohawk village that was once located in this area. Known by many as"the Boiling Pot", the name accurately translated as "The Pot That Washes Itself" or "The Clean Pot." All of . . . — Map (db m130996) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Chester B. Hoke
"Bromley" Hoke (1847-1913) Canajoharie native served in 54th Mass. Regt, one of nation's 1st black troops to fight in the Civil War — Map (db m137292) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Christopher P. Yates
Site of home of Christopher P. Yates, Montgomery County delegate to Constitutional Ratification Convention at Poughkeepsie 17 June - 26 July 1788 — Map (db m130959) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Northeastern Terminal
This fountain marks the northeastern terminal of the Continental Road, constructed under the supervision of General James Clinton, to Otsego Lake June 17, 1778 — Map (db m130981) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Routes of the ArmiesOf General John Sullivan and General James Clinton — 1779 —
An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending westward the dominion of the United States. — Map (db m130975) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Shaper Quarry1829 - 150th Anniversary - 1979
Furnished stone for the Brooklyn Bridge shipped to New York via the Erie Canal — Map (db m130956) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Sullivan-Clinton Campaign1779
Portage route of General James Clinton's army Canajoharie to Otsego Lake 2000 men, 300 wagons, 200 batteaux and supplies moved overland — Map (db m130969) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — The Canalway Trail: Canajoharie/ To Market, to Market
The Canalway Trail: Canajoharie Welcome to the Canalway Trail System, offering hundreds of miles of scenic trails and numerous parks for walking, bicycling, cross-country skiing and other recreational activities. The Canalway Trail parallels . . . — Map (db m137361) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Charleston Corners — Town of Charleston
Formed March 12, 1793, one of the oldest towns in Montgomery County. Named for Charles Van Epps, an early settler. — Map (db m139068) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Can-a-Gor-Ha1666-1693
Mohawk Indian castle burned by French and Indians 1693 — Map (db m131354) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Caughnawga Church
Approaching the site of old Caughnawga Church erected 1763 — Map (db m131356) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Connolly Inn
stood at Yosts where there was a toll gate and a bridge across the Mohawk which was swept away by high water and never rebuilt — Map (db m131350) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Fonda Cemetery

Old [Caughnawaga] Cemetery. Village property since 1855. Many early settlers buried here. Also 6 Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m131373) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Bevis — 2 — Bevis"The Darkest of All Nights" — John Hunt Morgan Trail —
In the twilight of July 13, 1863, flames from the New Baltimore bridge lit the northwest sky. Slow-moving columns of dusty cavalrymen approached Bevis crossroads from the shadows Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's Raiders quietly . . . — Map (db m133650) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp Dennison
The Land of Opportunity When Ohio was opened for settlement by the Northwest Ordinance (1787) and made secure from Indian attacks by the Treaty of Greenville (1795), it became the new “Promised Land.” The new territory lured . . . — Map (db m134234) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp Dennison Civil War Museum
Bldg. built by C. Waldschmidt 1804 Used as a guard house of the camp 1861-1865 Dedicated Sept. 6,1997 to the men and women who served in the War Between the States State Regent's projects of Mrs. James H. Woolslayer 1995 1998 Civil . . . — Map (db m134235) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Dr. Alfred Buckingham
In memory of Dr. Alfred Buckingham who served as acting ass't surgeon in the Civil War from 1862 to 1865. This flag pole is presented by his daughter Marcia Lucia Buckingham Camp Dennison, Ohio 1933 — Map (db m133590) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Richard Michael Weaver
In Memory of Richard Michael Weaver 1948 1968 Grew up in Camp Dennison Graduated 1967 Indian Hill High School enlisted in the Marines Killed in Action 20 May 1968 During his heroic tour of duty in Viet Nam Awarded two Purple . . . — Map (db m133586) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 37-31 — The Kroger Co. / Over-The-Rhine
The Kroger Co. Near this site in was one of the original Kroger Grocery & Baking Company stores, where Bernard H. Kroger began serving the Over-the-Rhine area in 1902. Kroger was 23 years when he opened his first store. The Great Western Tea . . . — Map (db m133320) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 77-51 — Eckstein School1915-1958
Eckstein Elementary School operated on this site from 1915-1958 serving the Glendale's Negro Children from Kindergarten through eighth grade. The school was named in honor of Eleanor Eckstein, who taught the children at various locations in this . . . — Map (db m133585) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — Taken for Granite?
The large stones used here as fountain elements, benches, and garden accents were quarried from a deposit of granite in Milford, Massachusetts in 1887. These stones artifacts were originally cut for the construction of the Cincinnati Chamber of . . . — Map (db m134160) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 31-66 — The Eliza House
Three hundred yards east of this location on Oak Road, overlooking the Miami & Erie Canal, was the house of abolitionist John Van Zandt 1791-1847). For years this house was known as one of the most active "stations” on the Underground . . . — Map (db m133584) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — Welcome to the Cotswald Overlook
This lovely land, acquired by William and Mary J. Burchenal in 1936, was a 360-acre working farm. Black Angus cattle grazed in the pasture below and corn and soybeans were grown in the fields beyond. Across the creek were hay fields and an apple . . . — Map (db m134159) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — Harrison War Memorial
In honor of the men of Harrison, Ohio who made the supreme sacrifice

Korean Conflict Congressional Medal of Honor Award William Baugh World War II Willard Baker   Elvyn Fagley   Gilbert Otto Eugene Barrow   Robert Gillman . . . — Map (db m133623) WM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — John Hunt Morgan Heritage TrailHarrison — Morgan Invades Ohio —
Before noon on July 13, 1863, heads in Harrison turned towards the distant rumble of hooves on the covered bridge over the Whitewater River southwest of town. A long line of Confederate horsemen -- more than 2000 -- inched their way down the hill . . . — Map (db m133611) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — P.F.C. William B. Baugh, U.S.M.C.
In honor of P.F.C. William B. Baugh, U.S.M.C. (July 7, 1930 - Nov. 29, 1950), awarded Medal of Honor posthumously for action at Koto-Ri, Korea Sacrificed his life by smothering an enemy hand grenade with his body thereby saving the lives of his . . . — Map (db m133622) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Hazelwood — 25-31 — Civic Organizations in Hazelwood(1941-2000)
Civic organizations played pivotal roles in the development of the residential community of Hazelwood, founded as a subdivision of Blue Ash in 1888. The Hazelwood Civic Association, initially established as the Brothers Civic Society in 1941, . . . — Map (db m133118) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Mariemont — 27-31 — Mariemont
Ground was broken for Mariemont by Mary M. Emery, the village's founder, on April 23, 1923. This planned community was designed by eminent town planner John Nolen and twenty five of America’s leading architects. As part of the garden city . . . — Map (db m133289) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Mariemont — 49-31 — The Madisonville Site
The Madisonville site is the largest and most thoroughly studied village of the late Fort Ancient culture (AD 1450-1670). Artifacts were so abundant here that local residents called this site the "pottery field.” Between 1879 and 1911, a . . . — Map (db m133287) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — Blockhouse
500 feet west of this marker near the big spring is the site of the the blockhouse erected by Capt. Aaron Mercer in 1792 establishing Mercersburgh later known as Newtown. First settlement in Anderson Township — Map (db m133278) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — 90-31 — Clark Stone House
The Clark Stone House, constructed around 1801 by James Clark (1765-1852), is one of the oldest standing stone houses in Ohio. Clark, who served as a drummer in the Battle of Yorktown (1781), came with his family to Anderson Township in 1797 and . . . — Map (db m133276) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — 76-31 — Miller - Leuser Log House
Ichabod Benton Miller purchased 440 acres in Anderson Township on April 2, 1796. The log house Miller built on his property around 1796 was continuously occupied for more than 170 years until the Anderson Township Historical Society . . . — Map (db m133284) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 13-31 — Maple Knoll Village
A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in 1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit maternity home for destitute women and children. These public minded social leaders were . . . — Map (db m133583) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 71-31 — Morgan’s Raid Through Springdale
(side 1) In July 1863, Confederate Brigadier-General John Hunt Morgan led a force of 2,000 cavalrymen across southern Ohio. Morgan's force entered Ohio from Indiana. A chase ensued as Union cavalry pursued Morgan's men across twenty Ohio . . . — Map (db m133555) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 70-31 — Old Saint Mary Cemetery
In 1801, the Springdale Presbyterian Church acquired these two and a half acres to construct a church and cemetery. Although the church moved to a new location in 1833, the cemetery remained and continued to receive regular internments until the . . . — Map (db m133110) HM
Ohio (Madison County), Mount Sterling — In Memory
Of those who gave their life for our country in the war of 1941-1945. Carl Steward Dewey Woltz James Webb Ernest Grabill Robert R. Keller Walter Neal Claude W. Ramey Randell Wofle Tingle D. Skaggs George W. Wood Donald G. . . . — Map (db m133034) WM
Ohio (Madison County), Mount Sterling — Mount Sterling
Home of John W. Galbreath builder, sportsman, philanthropist — Map (db m133035) HM
Ohio (Madison County), Mount Sterling — Mt. Sterling
Home of John W. Bricker Governor and United States Senator — Map (db m133033) HM
Vermont (Lamoille County), Johnson — Town of Johnson Civil War Honor Roll
Honor Roll Erected by the Town of Johnson In Grateful Remembrance of Her Citizens Who Protected Their Country's Flag During the Civil War. 1861 — 1865 James H. Adams • Levi B. Adams • Sumner A . Andrews • Frank B. Atwell • Marshall . . . — Map (db m140633) WM
Vermont (Lamoille County), Johnson — Town of Johnson World War and Spanish War Honor Roll
Honor Roll Erected by the Town of Johnson In Grateful Appreciation of the Services Rendered by Her Citizens to Their Country During The World War. 1917-1919 Wallace A. Atwell • ★Howard L. Bailey • Delbert T. Dubray • C. Gordon. . . . — Map (db m140636) WM

1176 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 401 through 601 were listed. Previous 200 Next 576
Paid Advertisement