In 1920 the need for extensive highways in Michigan was becoming evident and Horatio S. Earle, highway commissioner, suggested a submerged, floating tunnel. A counter-proposal was made by C. E. Fowler, a consulting engineer from New York City.
. . . — — Map (db m1987) HM
This point of land is the historic battleground where the westward invasion by the Iroquois Indians was halted by the victorious Chippewa.
Off the point colorful French-Canadian voyageurs paddled canoes heavily laden with furs. The 18th century . . . — — Map (db m4452) HM
The Mississippi River was an obstacle to overland travelers attempting to cross to the other side. From1855 to 1884 a flat bottomed cable ferry was maintained between Anoka and Champlin. For a time two ferry companies operated at this . . . — — Map (db m70875) HM
The Dakota and Ojibwa people believed that the confluence of two great rivers was a sacred place.
The Point was used as an encampment and gathering place for several tribes. It was also a meeting place to form hunting parties going north . . . — — Map (db m70897) HM
Fireman's Grove is located here in the area just above the confluence of the Rum River. It was named for the firemen who pastured their horses at The Point. Fireman's Grove became a favorite gathering place for townspeople and visitors who . . . — — Map (db m70973) HM
The Rum and the Mississippi were highways for the earliest recorded European explorers of Minnesota. Many explorers traveled past The Point and some may have camped here including Radission, Hennepin, Du Luth, Pike, Faribault and Nicollet.
. . . — — Map (db m70569) HM
The white pine forests fell to the logger's ax in the northern Rum River pineries, "Seventy mills in seventy years could not exhaust the white pine I have seen on the Rum River" predicted Daniel Stanchfield, a lumber-wise timber cruiser . . . — — Map (db m70937) HM
Struggles and hardship are expected in building a community, but Anoka may have had more than its share of disasters. Through each trial, the community rebounded and Anoka continues to be a vital, dynamic community.
Anoka County was . . . — — Map (db m70953) HM
The Rum and the Mississippi were river highways for the Dakota, the Ojibwa, European explorers, traders and settlers.
Between 1850 and 1870 the Rum and the Mississippi became "working rivers" for lumbermen. In the fall loggers traveled . . . — — Map (db m70914) HM
The first dam was built here in 1853 of logs and earth fill by Caleb and W.H. Woodbury. It washed away in high water in the Spring of 1854. A second dam was built in 1854 by James McCann. This dam and its pool provided 5 sluiceways for water power . . . — — Map (db m70264) HM
The square of land on the east side of the Rum River just south of Main Street has been a place for Anoka citizens to gather since the town began in the mid-1800's. Known as Bridge Square, it was a place to share news, to hear speeches and . . . — — Map (db m70586) HM
The Stone House
Three stone houses were built during the 1920's by Thaddeus P. Giddings (1969-1954). Giddings was the Supervisor of Music for the Minneapolis Schools and founder of the National Music Camp in Interlachen, Michigan. The . . . — — Map (db m70825) HM
Native peoples and traders met at a trading post constructed across the Rum River from The Point in 1844 by Joseph Bellanger. The Ojibwa brought furs and skins to trade for copper cooking pots, cloth, blankets, decorative beads and iron . . . — — Map (db m70921) HM
The Mississippi River forms a unique and complex ecosystem spanning 2000 miles. From its origin at Lake Itasca in Northern Minnesota to its outlet in the Gulf of Mexico the river encompasses a diversity of life found only in a very few places . . . — — Map (db m70908) HM
Why Settle Here? Looking for Work
Timber was a resource that drew many west and in 1847, surveyor Daniel Stanchfield noted, "Seventy mills in seventy years couldn't exhaust the white pine I have seen on the Rum River". The rivers . . . — — Map (db m70982) HM
Twenty thousand years ago, a great sheet of ice, the Superior lobe, covered this
area. At its farthest advance, it formed the St. Croix moraine, a series of high hills to the
west, south, and east. When it melted, it left behind vast . . . — — Map (db m70297) HM
Itasca grew up around an Indian trading post which was established 800 feet east of here in 1849 by Thomas A. Holmes and James Beatty. At the suggestion of Territorial Governor Alexander Ramsey, the settlement was named in honor of Lake Itasca, the . . . — — Map (db m69908) HM
"Who says we cannot build railroads in the winter?" asked the Mankato Weekly Union on December 10, 1869, in an article announcing that the tracks of the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroad had reached the new town of Lake Crystal.
The . . . — — Map (db m67364) HM
This area (Bunker Hill) once served as a Civil War recruitment center, but this was not the primary reason for its acquisition. The Mankato City Council purchased approximately 10.2 acres at 150 dollars an acre on October 15, 1874, with the . . . — — Map (db m68276) HM
Rensselaer Dean Hubbard, successful entrepreneur and civic leader, built his house on Broad Street in three stages: in 1871, 1888 and 1905. During the
late 19th century, many of Mankatos captains of industry and commerce established their . . . — — Map (db m66338) HM
The desire to honor the memory of Mankato's Civil War dead prompted a citizens' committee headed by John Ray to purchase the triangular parcel of land in the Warren's Addition, bordered by Broad, Lincoln and Grove streets, and dominated by a massive . . . — — Map (db m66655) HM
Built in 1857 in Mankato Township and was moved to this site, which was once the site of the fur trading post of Henry H. Sibley by the Blue Earth County Historical Society in 1931. — — Map (db m66845) HM
On October 3, 1887 the City of Mankato purchased 120 acres for $13,088 at the confluence of the Blue Earth and Minnesota Rivers to create Mankatos first park. Sibley Park was named for Henry Hastings Sibley (later Minnesotas first Governor) who . . . — — Map (db m66483) HM
On Flag Day in 1926, two German 105mm howitzer field guns were dedicated at this Sibley Park
site as war trophies and memorials to the sacrifice made by those who served from Blue Earth County in
the First World War. These artillery pieces were . . . — — Map (db m66757) HM
This brick home sheltered the renowned novelist Sinclair Lewis in 1919. A native of Minnesota, Lewis worked on the famed book, "Main Street," while residing here. Lewis was the first American to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1930. — — Map (db m66511) HM
Lorin & Lulu Cray Home
was given to the
Young Women's Christian Association
for the women and girls of
Mankato and vicinity
Judge and Mrs. Lorin Cray
This property has been
placed on the
National Register . . . — — Map (db m66783) HM
During the summer of 1868, the Minnesota Valley Railway Company contracted more than 500 people to grade and lay ties and tracks from Kasota to Mankato, reaching Mankato October 3, 1868.
The mainline was known as the . . . — — Map (db m66635) HM
Cobden is a railway village in Prairieville Township. It was originally named North Branch because of its location near Sleepy Eye Creek, the principal north branch of the Cottonwood River. In 1886 its name was changed to Cobden for the English . . . — — Map (db m69835) HM
When the Second Battle of New Ulm ended on the morning of August 24, 1862, the city lay nearly in ruins. Fearing that it would surely fall if attacked again, Colonel Charles Flandrau ordered the entire city to evacuate. The next day . . . — — Map (db m73792) HM
On April 8, 1885 Chief Engineer Blunt of the Winona & St. Peter Railroad Co. announced that the railroad had decided to build a side track between New Ulm and Sleepy Eye for the purpose of receiving grain. The site was known only as "Siding Number . . . — — Map (db m67411) HM
This tablet was erected by the Junior Pioneers in memory of the following men, women and children of the town of Milford who were massacred by the Indians during the Indian outbreak in 1862.
John Martin Fink. Monika Fink, his wife. Max . . . — — Map (db m67952) WM
Erected by the State of Minnesota in 1929 in the memory of the men, women and children of Milford who were massacred by the Indians, Aug. 18, 1862.
John M. Fink Monika Fink Max Fink Carl Merkle John B. Zettel Barbara . . . — — Map (db m67951) WM
In the summer of 1862, after years of broken treaty promises and late payments that fueled growing tensions and conflict, some Dakota began an attempt to forcibly reclaim their homeland. After attacking the Redwood (Lower Sioux) Agency . . . — — Map (db m67915) HM WM
On May 24, 1887 Nels Hanson platted the small railroad station point in section 8 of Prairieville township as "Hanson Station". A post office had been established in 1886 named Evan by the first postmaster, Martin Norseth, in honor of Hanson's wife . . . — — Map (db m69831) HM
In 1854 Ole and Guri Sorbel immigrated to Rock County Wisconsin from Hallingdal, Norway. In 1856 they settled to your right on the northwest bank of Lake Linden. On September 21, 1876, Bob, Cole and Jim Younger and Charlie Pitts received breakfast . . . — — Map (db m68073) HM
In 1899, the Iowa and Minnesota Land & Townsite Company circulated a petition to locate a railroad station in Lake Hanska Township. The petition was signed by 77 people and on October 9, 1899 the village of Hanska was platted in section 24 by Harry . . . — — Map (db m66468) HM
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of John Armstrong pioneer of Linden Township, in 1857 he represented this part of Brown County as its first Territorial County Supervisor (Commissioner) and later became Linden Township's first . . . — — Map (db m68083) HM
The Sioux Indians called this lake "minne hanska," meaning "long water." The basin of the lake was formed 11,000 to 15,000 years ago by the Wisconsin glacier; the original hard clay bottom is now about 50 feet below the present surface of the . . . — — Map (db m66454) HM
Lake Hanska Pioneer
A Tribute to Ole Synsteby 1856 - 1942
Ole Synsteby was born in Lesja, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. In the summer of 1873, the Synsteby family migrated to the Lake Hanska area. In 1879 Ole purchased the land which is now . . . — — Map (db m79934) HM
This structure is a replica of many such stabburs found in Norway. There are several variations. "Stabbur" translated means store house.
Benefactors: James & Ferdi Amundson estate.
These Lake Hanska farmers were descendants of Norwegian . . . — — Map (db m68264) HM
This log cabin was built about 1857 by the Omsrud/Thordson and Torgrimson families, immigrants from Valdres, Norway. It originally stood on the Thord Omsrud farm on the shores of Omsrud Lake. The cabin was moved to this site in 1986 by the . . . — — Map (db m66437) HM
That freedom, law and justice
might be established thruout the Earth
This monument is erected in honor
of the men of Hanska and vicinity who answered
their country's call in the World War.
Oscar O. Haugen John Thordson . . . — — Map (db m68256) WM
About 5 blocks north of this marker was the location of a very important river crossing for the early settlers of this area, going from the "Shetek Trail" on the south to "Old Leavenworth" and New Ulm on the north side of the Cottonwood . . . — — Map (db m67709) HM
In 1857, settlers platted a townsite in Section 14 of the Leavenworth area. During the next year, Dr. J. B. Calkins established the post office and became its first postmaster. Leavenworth Township was legally organized on April 16, 1859. Seven . . . — — Map (db m68025) HM
The Joseph Brown family with son Jonathan and daughter Oratia were early settlers on a farm five miles west of here along the Shetek Trail. The family fed and over-nighted guests, operating their home as a traveler's inn. Upon hearing news of Dakota . . . — — Map (db m67825) HM
The Church of St. Mary was incorporated on September 26, 1911 by Archbishop John Ireland of St. Paul. The Parish included Catholics living south of Center Street in New Ulm, plus Cottonwood and Courtland Townships. Because of difficult economic . . . — — Map (db m74048) HM
Christian Adam(s) was born circa 1812 in Prussia. He sailed from LeHavre, France aboard the ship Pactolus which arrived in New York City October 12, 1846. The passenger manifest listed his occupation as farmer.
Petronella Keller Adam(s) was . . . — — Map (db m73759) HM
The town gained a new venue for public events in 1873 with the opening of Arbeiter Hall. The local Arbeiterverein, or Workers' Association, organized in 1871, primarily as a workers' insurance association. The two-story brick building had a . . . — — Map (db m67093) HM
Following the outbreak of hostilities between the Dakota and white settlers on August 18, 1862, hundreds of people fled from nearby farms to New Ulm for safety. Quickly, Brown County Sherriff Charles Roos and Jacob Nix, a citizen with German . . . — — Map (db m73140) HM
Brown County, an historic gateway on the Minnesota River, opened the fertile prairie lands of the Great Plains to the northern hardwoods of a continental divide. The U.S. Territorial Legislature organized the county in 1856 from lands ceded by the . . . — — Map (db m66749) HM
The Brown County Bank is among the oldest commercial properties within the district. As the local economy recovered from the devastating effects of the Dakota Conflict, the city found itself without a bank following the demise of the First . . . — — Map (db m66879) HM
Dedicated to All Brown County Veterans
This memorial is a lasting tribute to past, present and future veterans who served during peacetime and the following conflicts: Indian Wars 1817 - 1898 ·
Mexican War 1846 - 1848 ·
American Civil War . . . — — Map (db m65526) WM
This three-story building is a fine example of Queen Anne commercial architecture. The original southern section was erected in 1892 for the Buenger Furniture Store, while the corner building was constructed in 1902.
Louis Buenger Sr. . . . — — Map (db m68117) HM
Rosa Schnobrich opened the City Meat Market in 1907 with the advertising slogan, "Better Meats, Cleaner Meats, and Quicker Service." Her sausages, in particular, proved popular, and soon her shop began supplying a network of wholesale dealers . . . — — Map (db m68267) HM
1864 marked the beginning of District 6 (later known as 179), Sigel township's first of four school districts. The first schoolhouse was built on this site in 1868 with the purchase of 1 acre of land for $10. Civil War general Franz Sigel visited . . . — — Map (db m74233) HM
Colonel Wilhelm Pfaender (1826-1905), born in Heilbronn, Wurttemberg, Germany, came to America as a result of the 1848 Revolution. In Germany he helped found the Turner Societies in his birth-city of
Heilbronn and in Ulm. In Cincinnati, Ohio, he . . . — — Map (db m73673) HM
For years, the Crone store was the largest mercantile establishment in New Ulm. In 1857, Theodore Crone Sr. opened his general store at the corner of Broadway and Center Streets. Twelve years later, he erected this building, adding a . . . — — Map (db m66864) HM
Helena Erd Seiter Adolph Seiter
The Dacotah House, located on this site, was built in 1859 by Adolph Seiter and Frank Erd. Adolph's wife, Helena Erd Seiter soon established her fame in the kitchen. During the Dakota Conflict of 1862, Helena . . . — — Map (db m66377) HM
This monument is erected by the State of Minnesota to commemorate the battles and incidents of the Sioux Indian War of 1862, which particularly relate to the town of New Ulm.
Honored be the memory of the citizens of Blue Earth, Nicollet, . . . — — Map (db m66990) HM WM
Lest we forget.
In sacred memory of the soldiers, sailors, and marines who served their country in time of war. Erected in 1941 by Veterans of Foreign Wars U.S.A. Albert Nagel Post No 1648 and Auxiliary. — — Map (db m68739) WM
Frank Erd and his wife, Louise, came to New Ulm from Cincinnati. Frank, whose father was an architect, erected a substantial store, one of the few brick buildings in the city. The Brown County supervisors kept their offices in Erd's building, . . . — — Map (db m66897) HM
Valentine Sommereisen was the first resident Catholic priest in three large areas of the American West: southwestern Minnesota, the Dakota Territory, and western Kansas. Born 28 May 1829 in Rouffach, Alsace, a German–speaking part of eastern . . . — — Map (db m74222) HM
The second battle of New Ulm took place on August 23, 1862. About 650 Dakota Indians surrounded the town, while over 2,000 people were crowded behind a barricade. The attack began around nine in the morning and the Dakota Indians quickly encircled . . . — — Map (db m66402) HM
Frederick Forster came to the United States in 1850 and taught school in New York. He moved to New Ulm in 1858, where he continued teaching, becoming the city's postmaster in 1861.
In 1860, Forster purchased this lot and the following . . . — — Map (db m68227) HM
This monument was erected in 1991 by the German-Bohemian Heritage Society to commemorate the immigrants to this region from the German speaking western rim of present-day Czechoslovakia. They emigrated from the counties of Bischofteinitz, Mies and . . . — — Map (db m67030) HM
The first structure built on this site was the Minnesota Haus, the first hotel in New Ulm, built in 1856 by Phillipp H. Gross. That early structure was destroyed and in 1860, on the same sight, Gross built the Union Hotel, a two and a half story . . . — — Map (db m67981) HM
By the end of the fighting in New Ulm, the U.S.—Dakota War of 1862 had taken a heavy toll on the town. More than 50 settlers had been killed and 36 wounded, along with an unknown number of Dakota. In addition, at least 190 of the . . . — — Map (db m74136) HM
West Newton in 1870 was a thriving town, serving riverboat travel on the Minnesota River. It consisted of a hotel, a livery stable, a brewery, a sawmill, a wagon works, two blacksmith shops, three saloons, and many dwellings that made the town an . . . — — Map (db m66238) HM
Hermann (Arminius) of the Cherusci tribe led several German tribes in battle against their Roman conquerors in 9 A.D., and defeated them in the hills of Teutoburg Forest near present Detmold. To later unified Germany, Hermann . . . — — Map (db m65467) HM
Stan Wilfahrt – an outstanding player for New Ulm's 1941 State Legion Champs & 1943 Brewers State Amateur Champions. He coached baseball at Cathedral High School for 1957-1978 with a 246-68 (.783) record. His teams appeared in nine state . . . — — Map (db m79894) HM
On this date at Chaska, Minnesota, New Ulm High School coach James Senske recored his 510th coaching victory, a new Minnesota State High School League baseball record for wins by a coach. At the completion of the 1994 season, . . . — — Map (db m79913) HM
Jacob Nix from Bingen Am Rhein in Germany was a key figure in the defense of New Ulm in 1862. Born in 1822, Nix early joined the push for a united Germany under a republican form of government. During the ill-fated 1848 Revolution, Nix served as . . . — — Map (db m65455) HM
This home was built by John Lind in 1887 and was a significant cultural, social and political center built on a prominence above early New Ulm. Swedish born Lind came to America and Minnesota in 1867 at age thirteen. While very young he was a rural . . . — — Map (db m65399) HM
The quality of life in New Ulm improved notably after a young teacher-coach accepted a position at New Ulm High School in 1928. During the succeeding 51 years, "Joe" Harman provided the inspiration that left this community a better place in which to . . . — — Map (db m66381) HM
In the early 1870's, fourteen settlers purchased this beautiful spot located on the north bank of the Big Cottonwood River and named it Jδgers Ruhe (Hunters' Rest). The objectives of this group of hunters was to preserve this property for their . . . — — Map (db m66087) HM
The Kiesling House is one of the three downtown buildings in New Ulm to survive the Dakota War of 1862. Frederick W. Kiesling, blacksmith and ferrier, had built the modest frame house ($125) the year before the outbreak of the war. In August of 1862 . . . — — Map (db m65497) HM
During the Minnesota Sioux Uprising of 1862, eighteen men left New Ulm early on the morning of August 19, and travelled westward about 20 miles along the Big Cottonwood River to the area of Leavenworth. Searching for relatives and friends, they . . . — — Map (db m65486) HM WM
In 1914, two four-inch naval cannon barrels, each with a pyramid of balls, were placed on the courthouse grounds as a tribute to all Brown County citizens who served their nation in time of conflict. The United States Government reclaimed them in . . . — — Map (db m66967) HM WM
In 1851, leaders of the Dakota Nation signed the Treaty of Traverse des Sioux with the United States Government. This treaty opened new lands in Minnesota Territory for settlement. Two years later, German immigrants in Chicago, led by Frederick . . . — — Map (db m65452) HM
Schonlau Park, named in honor of Theodore H. and Clara K. Schonlau, is the setting for the City of New Ulms unique Glockenspiel. Local contributors were joined by donors from three foreign countries, 31 States, and 51 other Minnesota cities, in . . . — — Map (db m65492) HM
Frederick Beinhorn and Wilhelm Pfaender, pioneer founders of the prairie colony of New Ulm, were cut of the same cloth. Both came to America from Germany after the 1848 Revolution in Central Europe failed to unite German peoples under a new frame of . . . — — Map (db m65694) HM
In memory of our honored brave who fell in defence of The Union.
In memory of those who fell in defence of New Ulm 1862.
In memory of those massacred by the Indians in Brown Co. . . . — — Map (db m68705) WM
While crossing this ravine a
recruiting party of the Civil War
was ambushed by the Sioux
Indians on August 18th, 1862, at
the noon hour.
The following were killed or
John Schneider Ernest Dietrich . . . — — Map (db m73704) HM WM
On this site in 1859 Frederick Roebbecke built a seventy foot high wooden windmill for grinding corn and grain. Situated on a prominent ridge, it commanded an excellent view of the scattered settlement. Barricaded with sacks of flour and grain, the . . . — — Map (db m65400) HM
The home of Henry N. Somsen, Sr. was once located on this site. Visitors would tie their horses to this hitching post.
Given by Anne & Henry N. Somsen, Jr., generous supporters of the New Ulm Public Library.
October 16, 1985 — — Map (db m66706) HM
To pay homage to the sturdy pioneers who founded the territory of Minnesota a century ago. And to express veneration for the pioneers of Brown County and members of their families who lost their lives during the Sioux War of 1862 — 1863. . . . — — Map (db m73642) HM WM
This neighborhood dates back to the early days of New Ulm. Oral history suggests the borders shown above. The origin of the name “The Wallachei” is obscure. The most likely translation is “low land horse pasture.” Or, legend . . . — — Map (db m65396) HM
The Turner concept of developing a sound mind and body through discussion of common problems and physical exercise was conceived by Frederick Jahn of Berlin in 1811. It was an effort to strengthen German resolve against the French conqueror, . . . — — Map (db m65426) HM
Von hier 717 fuss in der Richtung des Pfeils wurde am 11ten November 1856 der New Ulmer Turnverein gegruendet.
(From here, 717 feet in the direction of the arrow on the 11th of November 1856 the New Ulm Turnverein . . . — — Map (db m66239) HM
The first news of the Sioux Uprising was brought to New Ulm at noon on August 18, 1862, by survivors of a Civil War recruiting party that had been ambushed in Milford Township. Barricades were hastily erected in a three-block area on Minnesota . . . — — Map (db m65402) HM
The federal government erected the post office building in 1910, designed by James Knox Taylor, the supervising architect of the United States Treasury. Although the city's postal service began in 1856, it had been located in rented space . . . — — Map (db m74074) HM
The first river steamboat, WEST NEWTON, passed by here in 1853 going upriver with troops to lay out the site of Fort Ridgely. Two days later TIGER and CLARION followed with men and supplies.
For the . . . — — Map (db m66383) HM
In 1857, Rev. August Huelster held the first Evangelical church service at the home of Charles Lauer in Cottonwood Township. In 1865, two acres of land were purchased in Cottonwood Township by John Mohr, Philip Pfisterer & Carl Schreyer, . . . — — Map (db m78463) HM
Searles, a small community in Section 21 of Cottonwood Township, was platted on October 10, 1899, by Harry and Anna Jenkins. It was a railroad station point named by officials of the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad.
The original plat . . . — — Map (db m67914) HM
Sleepy Eyes, or Drooping Eyelids, was born about 1780 in a Sisseton Sioux Indian village at Swan Lake in Nicollet County. The Bureau of Indian Affairs commissioned him a chief in 1824. His fame was achieved not as a warrior or hunter but as a friend . . . — — Map (db m67658) HM
In the summer of 1851 the Dakota Indians, a group of Native Americans who lived in Southern Minnesota, sold their land, 35 million acres, to the United States for $3,000,000. The Dakota agreed to move to a reservation which included land ten miles . . . — — Map (db m67983) HM
The village of Golden Gate occupied this area for some years. The town took its name from the U.S. Post Office established in 1868 with Ebenezer Fuller in charge.
Construction of a water-powered grist mill on Spring Creek in 1869 by . . . — — Map (db m70993) HM
The mill, built in 1867 by John Heimerdinger, was down 1/4 mile from Golden Gate on the Ruhe-Heim Creek. It was powered by a pond kept full by many wells, dug by hand. Wheat was ground by stones into flour and feed.
The grinding stones were . . . — — Map (db m71062) HM
In 1866 the budding village of Iberia had a log school house, four frame buildings and a cemetery. The settlement is the center of Stark Township, organized in 1866.
Iberia crossroads was named for a community in Ohio because many of the first . . . — — Map (db m73752) HM
In honor of the
Brave Service Men & Women
who have defended and
continue to defend the
United States of America.
Sons of John & Mary Broich
Chris USNR, Art USNR, Walter USAF, Joseph . . . — — Map (db m67856) WM
In the 1850s there was a land boom in southern Minnesota. Jonathan Brown, 37 years old, filed on land along the Cottonwood River in what is now Burnstown Township. (S 1/2 of SW 1/4, Sec. 15; N 1/2 of NW 1/4 of Sec. 22)
Jonathan picked a good . . . — — Map (db m67820) HM
John and Daniel Burns were pioneer settlers in this area of brown County. Burnstown Township was named in their honor.
Railroad construction advanced westward and the name of the station stop here in 1873 was "Burns." A small settlement . . . — — Map (db m67542) HM
Proudly, we salute our veterans and
pledge eternal gratitude for their sacrifices and
gallant preservation of freedom for all.
seals of the United States Army Air Force Navy Marine Corps Coast Guard
Dedicated July 4, 1994 . . . — — Map (db m71172) WM
This point overlooks the St. Louis River Valley. The steeply inclined rocks in the river channel upstream are alternating beds of slates and graywackers of the Thompson Formation thousands of feet thick.
. . . — — Map (db m44627) HM
540 acres of land southwest of this point, embracing Silver Creek in Jay Cooke State Park are dedicated to the memory of this pioneer civic leader who made great contributions to the establishment and development of this park.
Lands donated by . . . — — Map (db m53599) HM
One half mile south of this point lie three islands, known as numbers 1, 2, & 3, in the St. Louis River, which were settled by Josiah Boardman Scovell, original U.S. patentee in 1881, who retained ownership for the balance of his life.
Islands . . . — — Map (db m53857) HM
of the Finnish pioneers who arrived here in the western part of Carlton County in 1872 and thereafter, and made their homes with courage and perseverance.
Erected 1952 by Minnesota Finnish American Historical Society Chapter No. . . . — — Map (db m3266) HM
On October 12, 1918, a massive forest fire raced through northeastern Minnesota from Sturgeon Lake to the shores of Lake Superior north of Duluth. When it was over, this region had suffered through one of Minnesotas worst disasters.
Weather . . . — — Map (db m3031) HM
One hundred miles north and west of Duluth lies the Iron Range. North America's largest iron ore region consists of three major iron ranges: the Vermillion, the Mesabi, and the Cuyuna. The Vermillion was the first to ship iron ore from Minnesota . . . — — Map (db m44038) HM
Carver Historic District
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Church by-the River,
1913 — — Map (db m79234) HM
City Square Park
City Square in Chaska has always been a gathering place and the heart of this community. The land was set aside for public purpose in 1852 in the original plat. Early settlers in Chaska found six earthen mounds on this . . . — — Map (db m63707) HM
This silo marks the site of the Christian Bender farm, homesteaded in 1854. George Bender, grandson of Christian, sold the farm to Henry McKnight in 1963. This was the first farm to become part of Jonathan.
Dedicated . . . — — Map (db m60394) HM
By 1804 Jean B. Faribault was trading in furs for the Northwest Company near the "Little Rapids" of the Minnesota River, 5 miles south of this point, and in this vicinity. His fur post of 1824 on the site of Chaska became the nucleus for the first . . . — — Map (db m41051) HM
To the Memory
Defenders of the
1861 to 1865.
Erected by the Citizens
Carver County in 1892.
F. Anthony, S.M. Alexander, Ch. All, A. Arneson, L. Anderson, C.F. Anderson, S. Anderson, A.G. Anderson, J. Anderson, . . . — — Map (db m71715) WM
World War II
Battle of the Atlantic -
Pearl Harbor -
Coral Sea -
North Africa -
Bismarck Sea -
Southern France -
The . . . — — Map (db m72282) WM
Erected in Memory
of Those Who Served
During the World War
1914 —— 1918
Brandenburg Henry . . . — — Map (db m71520) WM
On July 11, 1859, Mr. Halvor Olson offered this 1/2 acre of his land to be used as a cemetery for the members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (Hauge Synod) here in the Roche a Cree (Arkdale) settlement. People of the community outside the . . . — — Map (db m7368) HM
On this site once stood a Lutheran Church of the Norwegian Synod, from the years 1887 to 1921. This church developed because of a disagreement on some doctrinal points with the United Lutheran Church which stood one half mile south of here.
. . . — — Map (db m4657) HM
In 1850, a group of Norwegian settlers from Koshkonong, the foremost Norwegian settlement colony in the United States at the time, left their southern Wisconsin home and migrated north, settling here in "Roch-a-Cree" or Roche-a-Cri. Imbued with . . . — — Map (db m36123) HM
In 1853, Norwegian immigrants to this area, organized the Norwegian Evangelical Church of Roche-a-Cri, in 1860. A log church was constructed one mile south of this location. It was destroyed by fire in 1866. A frame church was then erected on this . . . — — Map (db m4658) HM
This prominent butte, perhaps the steepest hill in Wisconsin, was called La Roche-a-Cri by 17th and 18th century French voyageurs. Rising 300 feet above the surrounding plain, this landmark undoubtedly guided Indians and early pioneers. Indians of . . . — — Map (db m19822) HM
POWs – MIAs
Designed by Cpl. Donald E. Hahn
34th and 19th Reg.
Cpl. Mitchell Red Cloud . . . — — Map (db m37091) HM
Ira and Ransom Gleason, father and uncle to Charlotte and Francis Marion Rous set aside the original acre of land for this cemetery, from the land they obtained through the Public Lands Act of 1820. This plaque in memory of Edna Rous Russell and . . . — — Map (db m7534) HM
Duty, Honor, Country
We dedicate this monument to
all our service men and women
in all wars and conflicts.
United States Army
United States Marines
United States Navy
United States Air Force
United States Coast Guard . . . — — Map (db m41686) WM
You are now on the great divide which seperates the two principal drainage areas of Wisconsin. Water falling to the north of this point finds its way into Lake Superior, then down through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence River 2,000 miles into . . . — — Map (db m47222) HM
This white pine log was sleigh hauled to Glidden on Dec. 21, 1984 on the sleigh it sets on. It was cut on State 40 14 miles east of Glidden. Its estimated weight is 7000 lbs. The 20 ft log scaled 1960 [?] board ft. Estimated age 500 to 600 . . . — — Map (db m47534) HM
Vast forests of virgin white pine were the treasure which brought the first wave of white settlers to Northern Wisconsin. The farms came later, but for half a century the forests were local history.
In 1847, the Knapp, Stout & Co. purchased . . . — — Map (db m45069) HM
The congregation for this church traces its roots back to 1870 when people first held services in their homes in what was originally called Stanfold. This community later became Dobie. Their first Catholic church was built in 1876 but was destroyed . . . — — Map (db m45151) HM
The church of St. John the Evangelist, the first church of the Redemptorists in this hemisphere, stood 215 feet east of this marker. It was begun by Rev. S. Mazzuchelli, O. P. and completed by Redemptorist missionaries sent from Europe by Rev. . . . — — Map (db m66522) HM
This park, built to portray and preserve Wisconsin's beginnings, is located on a site that is itself a part of history. On this 40-acre site stood Camp Smith--a temporary location of Fort Howard--part of the pioneer settlement known as Shantytown, . . . — — Map (db m10544) HM
Here in June, 1673, an expedition headed by Jesuit priest Jacques Marquette and his companion Louis Jolliet departed from St. Francis Xavier Mission to find and explore the upper Mississippi River. In September they returned here to record their . . . — — Map (db m10393) HM
The rapids at De Pere were well known to all early travelers along the Fox and Wisconsin rivers, which provided the best access to the Mississippi. Despite Indian domination, the waterway served explorers, fur traders and voyageurs, missionaries, . . . — — Map (db m11053) HM
This building was erected in 1836 to serve as the office of the Fox River Hydraulic Company, which was chartered by Wisconsin's first Territorial Legislature to construct a dam at Rapides des Peres. Following the 1837 financial crisis, notes issued . . . — — Map (db m10887) HM
In 1848, immigrants from Langeland, Denmark, seeking economic opportunity and plentiful farmland, settled in this vicinity. The Danes purchased land here and called their early settlement "Copenhagen," later changed to Denmark. In subsequent years, . . . — — Map (db m22453) HM
Commemorating the discovery of Wisconsin in 1634 by Jean Nicolet, emissary of Governor Champlain of New France. In this vicinity Nicolet first met the Winnebago Indians.
Unveiled August 12, 1909, by members of the State Historical Society of . . . — — Map (db m15786) HM
Curly Lambeau founded the Green Bay Packers in 1919 and was a driving force in the team's early years, including the 1921 decision to join what is now the NFL. He served as head coach for the franchise's first 31 seasons, leading the Packers to six . . . — — Map (db m77462) HM
The Zippin Pippin was Elvis Presley's favorite ride. The "King" rented Libertyland August 8, 1977 from 1:15 a.m. to 7 a.m. to entertain a group of about 10 guests. Decked in a blue jumpsuit with black leather belt, huge belt buckle with turquoise . . . — — Map (db m66565) HM
Welcome to the Oneida Veterans Memorial
About the War: The civil war was fought in 1861-1865 between the United States (the "Union" or the "North") and several southern slave states that declared their secession and . . . — — Map (db m78976) WM
Many of the explorers who followed Columbus were more interested in finding an easy route to Asia than they were in exploring and settling this continent. In 1634 Jean Nicolet, emissary of Gov. Samuel de Champlain of New France, landed at Red Banks . . . — — Map (db m22457) HM
Robert E. (Bob) Harlan, the ninth president in Packers history, played a central role in orchestrating the $295 million Lambeau Field redevelopment, first unveiled in 2000 and completed at the start of the 2003 season. Harlan's unwavering leadership . . . — — Map (db m77463) HM
Vince Lombardi directed the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships in seven years (1961-62, 1965-66-67) – a feat without parallel in pro football history. His 1966 and '67 teams also won the first two Super Bowls. Lombardi forged an . . . — — Map (db m77461) HM
James Powlis, whose Oneida name Tewakatelyλ·thale! means "I'm Worried", was born around 1750, probably in New York State. In 1777, after the disintegration of the Iroquois Confederacy's neutrality, Congress sought to offset the allegiance of . . . — — Map (db m11097) HM
The Beef Slough was a sluggish branch of the Chippewa River that provided an excellent storage pond for the logs floated downstream by numerous logging companies. Here loggers were employed to arrange the mixed-up logs into orderly rafts to be towed . . . — — Map (db m10103) HM
Designed by and constructed under the direction of
The Corps of Engineers, United States Army
1932 – 1935
Contractor for lock – Ouilmette Construction & Engineering Co.
Contractor for dam – United Construction Co. . . . — — Map (db m17300) HM
This site and memorial is forever dedicated to the memories, valor, courage and ideals of those Buffalo County residents that have given their all and rest in burial sites at home, abroad and at sea. It is also dedicated to those that have endured . . . — — Map (db m73314) WM
Thomas A. Holmes (1804-1888) established the first permanent settlement in Buffalo County in 1839 at the present site of Fountain City. In the fall of that year Holmes and a party of twelve including his wife came up the Mississippi River to barter . . . — — Map (db m43205) HM
Before the white man came to this area Indians of the Chippewa, Winnebago and other tribes roamed freely along the Mississippi River. Recorded history tells of an Indian tribal battle that took place on these river banks which was witnessed by some . . . — — Map (db m43206) HM
Freedom Is Not Free
Military Service Emblems
Army Navy Air Force
Marine Corps Coast Guard Merchant Marine
Galen C. Aase
Loren R. Aase
William J. Aase
Wayne M. Adams
James R. Alf
Mitchell Allen . . . — — Map (db m78828) WM
The St. Croix River winds its way through wild and scenic countryside from its origin in a Spruce-Tamarack swamp near Upper St. Croix Lake. The waters of the Namekagon join the St. Croix 45 miles upstream from this sign. The river system varies from . . . — — Map (db m44547) HM
On Monday, June 18, 2001, at 8:20 p.m. an F3 tornado with gale-force winds of over 200 miles per hour blew through southern Burnett County and eastern Washburn County leaving in its wake a path of destruction through the townships of Bashaw, . . . — — Map (db m43504) HM
The Brothertown (Brotherton) are descendants of the Pequot and Mohegan (Algonquin-speaking) tribes in southern New England. They became a tribe in 1769 when seven Christian and English-speaking communities organized and moved to land in upstate New . . . — — Map (db m31792) HM
This wooded site of 4.77 acres was purchased from Rudolph Puchner in 1915 for $2,500.00 by an organization of 12 women called the New Holstein Civic Society. Their purpose was to improve and beautify the city. Through diligent work and numerous . . . — — Map (db m46940) HM
B. Kuehl ·
J. Tams ·
J. Muenster ·
H. Banderob ·
L. Loewenhagen ·
H. Bock ·
H. Jensen ·
A. Ramm ·
G. Larsen ·
F. Roehr ·
D. Dammann ·
F. Temke ·
R. Luethge ·
J. Staube ·
J. Schilling ·
G. Bock ·
P. Heldt ·
P. . . . — — Map (db m47107) HM
Built for Hermann Christian Timm and his wife, Augusta (Muenster) Timm, the house was erected in two sections. A frame, Greek Revival-influenced residence was built for the Timm family in 1873. In 1892, a large stick style house was constructed onto . . . — — Map (db m31977) HM
"If I cannot be the citizen of free Germany,
then I would at least be a citizen of free America"
--Carl Schurz, German Revolutionary Leader, 1848
In 1848, a small group of immigrants from the Schleswig-Holstein area of . . . — — Map (db m46184) HM
Here We Honor
The Price of Freedom
Dedicated to the men and women of the New Holstein area who haved served their country in the armed services.
US Flag Pole Donated In Memory Of Elmer E Abrahamson Jr. · . . . — — Map (db m46953) HM
Around A.D. 1100, there was a large Native American village on the north side of Stockbridge Harbor. The pottery recovered from archaeological excavations at this site indicates that the villagers came from two formerly distinct cultural groups. . . . — — Map (db m31799) HM
The First Congregational Church was organized in the Public Hall at Vanville (later renamed Bloomer) Chippewa County on November 20, 1868. In 1870, lots 4 and 5 of block 4 of the Town of Bloomer were donated by Mr. Samuel Gilbert of Gilberstville, . . . — — Map (db m55654) HM
Edson Union Cemetery was dedicated in 1887 by Maria and Edson Chubb, as a memorial to their only child Joseph. Buried here are Civil War veterans, victims of the 1880 diphtheria epidemic, and soldiers of the Spanish and American War.
Edson . . . — — Map (db m42597) HM
In 1880, Captain Ellery Clark of DePere, Wisconsin moved his hub and spoke factory to Cadott. Clark had been a steam boat operator moving logs on the Fox River. He was drawn to the Cadott area because of the high quality and abundant supply of white . . . — — Map (db m48931) HM
In 1787, Michel Cadotte, famous Madeline Island fur trader, had a trading post nearby on the Yellow River. Here Michel Jr. was born, and another son, Jean Baptiste, is said to be buried on the river's bank. Robert Marriner built a dam at "Cadotte . . . — — Map (db m31159) HM
America Will Never Forget
Sept. 11, 2001 · Cadott, WI
"Whether we bring our enemies to justice, or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done."
George W. Bush
Sept. 20, 2001
. . . — — Map (db m43068) HM
The block diagram right depicts in simple format the major geological components of the Cadott region. The time scale [below right] shows that the geologic history at any one place on Earth represents only a miniscule part of the Earth's long and . . . — — Map (db m42006) HM
Lansing A. Wilcox, last surviving Wisconsin veteran of the Civil War, was born in Kenosha March 3, 1846. In February 1864 he enlisted from Chippewa County in F Company, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, returning to the Cadott community in 1866. A farmer, . . . — — Map (db m30758) HM
From here you can see Precambrian rocks exposed along the river below the dam. Although mostly covered by a dark gray coating of carbon, their fresh pinkish gray colors show where they have been scoured off by floodwaters. We are looking at rocks . . . — — Map (db m49997) HM
The first coast-to-coast auto route across the northern tier of states.
"A Good Road from Plymouth Rock to Puget Sound"
Before 1912 Railroads dominated long distance transportation. Local roads were dust and mud. There was little . . . — — Map (db m40098) HM
The ZCBJ Lodge Hall which 45 charter members built in 1907 is a tangible symbol of the ethnic heritage – social, fraternal and philosophical ideals of the Czech immigrants settling 7 miles north of Cadott.
. . . — — Map (db m47505) HM
In reverent memory of the men and
women who served their country
in peace and war.
Dedicated May 18, 1991 by
grateful citizens of
Chippewa County Veterans Marker
Army · Navy · Marines · . . . — — Map (db m42843) HM
This site is near the location of the first sawmill called the "Blue Mills" built just north of Lake Hallie, built over a two year period 1842-1843 by Steven McCann and the brothers Simon and George Randall. In 1867 it was sold to T.S. Schoefield. . . . — — Map (db m56289) HM
The Bear Den Road Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge, and it was moved to this site in 1940. The original site and . . . — — Map (db m43065) HM
Millions of years ago the Midwest area of North America was covered by a great inland sea that laid down virgin white Cambrian sandstone. As the sea filled in, most of this sandstone became buried thousands of feet below the surface. The rim . . . — — Map (db m42326) HM
In September of 1873 James Monroe Bingham, a local attorney, State Assemblyman, and future lieutenant governor of the State of Wisconsin, purchased this land which had just been plotted as Block 14 of the Western Addition to the City of Chippewa . . . — — Map (db m42667) HM
This building was built in 1917 in memory of Edward Rutledge.
Mr. Rutledge was born in northern Ireland on March 6, 1834. As a child he moved with his parents to South Mountain, Ontario, Canada where they farmed. At age 16 Edward and his two . . . — — Map (db m39426) HM
First Presbyterian Church is the oldest Protestant Church in the City of Chippewa Falls.
It was organized in 1855 by Rev. W. W. McNair. The first services were held in a log cabin 12 x 14 feet located on the east bank of Duncan Creek, just . . . — — Map (db m42611) HM
Hiram S. Allen was born in Chelsea, Vermont and came to the Chippewa Valley of Wisconsin in 1834. Here he began a long and flourishing career and an active business life. He built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel . . . — — Map (db m42343) HM
Sergeant Charles E. Mower, Company A, 34th Infantry, on November 3, 1944, was an assistant squad leader in an attack against strongly defended enemy positions on both sides of a stream running through a wooded gulch near Capoocan, Leyte, Philippine . . . — — Map (db m41559) HM
The soldier bird who was captured in Chippewa County by Chief Sky and taken to Eau Claire by Daniel McCann of Eagle Point. With Company "C" of the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment, he participated in twenty-five battles of the Civil War and was afterwards . . . — — Map (db m38223) HM
The Irvine Park Drive Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge in 1907. The structure originally crossed Duncan Creek on . . . — — Map (db m38734) HM
On Sunday, May 2, 1937, Wisconsin Power Cooperative was organized by an assembly of farmers for the purpose of developing a generating and transmission facility to provide low-cost electric service for the rural areas of Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, . . . — — Map (db m13798) HM
Before the 19th-century social reform movement, developmentally disabled people were relegated to almshouses and county poor farms where the “indigent, insane, epileptic and “idiotic” were housed together without regard to . . . — — Map (db m13297) HM
Primarily rural in the 19th century, Wisconsin promoted the state fair to advance better state farming practices. Since 1851 to the present, this fair has been held in southern Wisconsin. Recognizing the impracticality of entering or attending the . . . — — Map (db m13318) HM
Notre Dame was Chippewa Countys first church, the Mother church of all area Catholic Churches. Originally called St. Marys (“Our Lady of the Pines”) was a 16' x 18' foot log structure erected in 1856. A carpenters bench served as . . . — — Map (db m39975) HM
The building to your right is the oldest commercial building in Chippewa Falls. It was built (Circa 1859) by Peter Morie (Morey) and was used originally as a Saloon and Boarding House for lumberjacks and others. In 1861 at the start of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m55299) HM
This log house, constructed of hand-hewn White Pine logs, was built by Norwegian immigrant Ole Pederson Bjerke about 1881. Ole and his wife Mari had three sons: Gus, John, and Charles.
Around 1880, Ole had applied for a Homestead in the . . . — — Map (db m43658) HM
Charles was born in Rochester, New York. At the early age of thirteen he entered the provincial seminary of St. Francis near Milwaukee. He graduated in 1864 and then entered the American College at Louvain, Belgium. There he earned two divinity . . . — — Map (db m39937) HM
1577 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1377