Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2255 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2055
 
The Crusader Fortress of the Knights of the Hospital and the Ottoman-Turkish Citadel of Akko Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dale K. Benington, March 8, 2013
The Crusader Fortress of the Knights of the Hospital and the Ottoman-Turkish Citadel of Akko Marker
Israel, Central District, Rosh Ha'ayin — Tel Afeq - Antipatris
Archaeological excavations at Tel Afeq have exposed layers of occupation dating from the Chalcolithic period (the fourth millennium B.C.E.) until the 20th century C.E. Strategically situated on the "Afeq Pass", a bottleneck between the headwaters of . . . — Map (db m64309) HM
Israel, Central District, Rosh Ha'ayin — The Egyptian Governor's Residence
This is the most complete of the six Late Bronze Age (Canaanite), 1550-1200 B.C.E. palaces excavated at Afeq. The ground floor is preserved in its entirety, while the stairway testifies to the existence of the now-destroyed upper storeys. . . . — Map (db m64406) HM
Israel, Central District, Rosh Ha'ayin — The Roman Cardo — הקארדו הרומי
A remnant of the main street of the Roman city of Antipatris. "Cardo" is the name for the main north-south street of a Roman-era city. Shops lined the Cardo, and at its center it was connected to the Forum, the city's central square. Grooves can be . . . — Map (db m64445) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Acre — The Crusader Fortress of the Knights of the Hospital and the Ottoman-Turkish Citadel of Akko
On this site, in the 12th-13th century, towered the fortress of the Order of the Knights of the Hospital of Saint John (the "Hospitallers") who were based in Akko (Acre) until the Muslim conquest of the city in 1291. Over the ruins of the fortress, . . . — Map (db m65456) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Acre — The Crusaders — Until their arrival at Akko
On their way to Jerusalem in 1099, the Crusaders killed the Jewish 'infidels' and destroyed many communities, among which were in the communities of Speyer, Worms and Magenza. In memory of those who perished the prayer "Merciful Father" was . . . — Map (db m65446) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — A Collection of Architectural Artifacts
This garden presents a collection of architectural artifacts discovered during the excavation of Caesarea, or found by chance. The source of much of present day knowledge of the styles and building methods of the classical world of . . . — Map (db m64466) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Architectural Elements
The gable, cornice, frieze and architrave are some of the architectural elements that were typical of the facades and other monumental structures. The ornamentation of these buildings changed according to the adopted style. In the Roman . . . — Map (db m65175) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Column Capitals
In the Classical World, Planning and Aesthetics principles were clear and unambiguous. The Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian orders were elaborated by the Greeks and later, adopted by the Romans, with some variations. Each order bears its own rules and . . . — Map (db m64499) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Dedicatory Inscription — כתובת הקדשה
"(Po)ntius Pilatus, the prefect of Judaea, (erected) a (building dedicated) to (the emperor) Tiberius". Replica. The original inscription, found in secondary use during the excavations of the theater, is on display at the . . . — Map (db m65173) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — I Appeal Unto Caesar
"For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die; but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar. Then Festus, when he had . . . — Map (db m64534) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — King Herod's Hippodrome
"Herod built (...) on the south quarter, behind the port, an amphitheater also capable of holding a vast number of men and conveniently situated for a prospect to the sea" Josephus This edifice, whose location . . . — Map (db m65176) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — Sarcophagi
Sarcophagi (coffins in Greek) made of stone (granite, marble, limestone) lead or wood were widely used among different people including Jews, throughout he Greco-Roman world. Sarcophagus means "flesh eater". Stone coffins were made out of two . . . — Map (db m64501) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Chariot-Races — The Meta Prima
The chariot races thrilled the crowds. The counterclockwise seven-lap race commenced at the starting gates (carceres) (1) and ended at a finishing line situated in front of the dignitaries' tribune (2). At each end of the axial rib . . . — Map (db m64537) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Promontory Palace — Herod's Palace & the Roman Praetorium
The edifice consists of two main units: the Lower Palace comprising the private wing, and the Upper Palace, housing the public wing. The latter, built around a large peristyle courtyard, was associated with the ruler's judicial and . . . — Map (db m64517) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Roman Well
Some sixty lead scroll fragments dating to the 4th. c. A.D., probably execrations tablets and binding spells, were recovered from this well, where they had been intentionally thrown as a magical practice. In his address on the dedication of the Holy . . . — Map (db m64532) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Caesarea — The Theater — התיאטרון
The only remnants left from the Theater of Caesarea are rows of seats, the orchestra, the stage and the scene-frons which is an ornamental wall behind the stage. How did it look like? Comparisons show that it might resemble the facade of a two or . . . — Map (db m64498) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — A Public Grain Silo
A public grain silo from the time of King Jeroboam II (8th century BCE). The silo had a capacity of 450 cubic meters. Straw found between the stones attests to the function of the installation. — Map (db m65196) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — A Unique Continuity
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The deep section dug by the University of Chicago Expedition (1925-1939) provides a unique glimpse into the nearly thirty settlements built one on top of the other at the site. Due to the unique . . . — Map (db m64908) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — From Megiddo to Armageddon
The city of Megiddo played a prominent role in the history of the ancient Near East. Strategically located at the mouth of the Nahal Iron Pass, Megiddo controlled access to the road that linked Egypt with Mesopotamia and Anatolia - the most . . . — Map (db m64782) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — Schumaker's Excavations
The first excavations at Tel Megiddo were directed by Gottlieb Schumacher on behalf of the Deutscher Palastina-Verein, between 1903 and 1905. After excavating the Tempelburg ('temple-fortress') in the eastern section of the mound, . . . — Map (db m65019) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — Tel Megiddo National Park — World Heritage Site — The Biblical Tels - Megiddo, Hazor, Beer Sheba
The biblical tels of Megiddo, Hazor and Beer Sheba were inscribed in 2005 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as World Heritage Sites with outstanding universal value. They are fitting representatives of . . . — Map (db m64811) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The City-Gate — (The Late Bronze Period)
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The Late Bronze period (1550-1150 B.C.) is marked by Egyptian rule of Canaan. At that time, Megiddo was one of the country's major city-states and its king a loyal vassal of the Egyptian pharaoh. . . . — Map (db m64821) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The City-Gate — (The Iron II Period)
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: Megiddo became an Israelite city sometime between the 10th and 9th centuries B.C., and functioned as an administrative center for he fertile Jezreel Valley. Some time later, a massive wall (1) and a . . . — Map (db m64882) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Northern Palace
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The foundations of this palace, first investigated by Y. Yadin in 1960, are presently being excavated by 'The Megiddo Expedition'. The edifice was apparently laid out as a bit hilani (North . . . — Map (db m64898) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Northern Stables
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: Architectural complexes dating from the same period (9th or 8th c. B.C.) and of similar design were found near the northern and southern edges of the mound. Through the years they variously . . . — Map (db m64889) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Sacred Area
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: This area served as a focus of worship for over two thousand years, from the Early Bronze through the Iron I periods. The University of Chicago excavation section a series of temples (1, 3-5) built . . . — Map (db m64985) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Southern Palace
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: An elaborate ashlar-built palace (1) stood near the southern edge of the mound. A monumental entrance (2) - the only visible remains still standing - led to the courtyard (3). Like the northern . . . — Map (db m65198) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Southern Stables
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The southern stables' five units could accommodate 150 horses. As in the northern complex, each unit consists of a rectangular building divided into three sections by two rows of alternating pillars . . . — Map (db m65204) HM
Israel, Haifa District, Megiddo — The Water System
[Text on the Left Side of the Marker]: The problem of supplying water to large cities, a serious issue even in times of peace, could become acute in times of siege. Megiddo's main water source was located at the foot of the mound, beyond . . . — Map (db m65215) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Absalom's Tomb
This splendid burial monument dates to the end of the Second temple period. The lower part of the monument is hewn and the upper part is constructed. The name derives from the biblical verse that tells of Absalom's construction of a monument for . . . — Map (db m63866) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Beit Hatzofeh Lookout — A Journey to the Source
"Jerusalem, hills enfold it, and the Lord enfolds his people now and forever" (Psalms 125:2) Jerusalem was first established on the hill on which you are now standing almost 4,000 years ago, during the Canaanite . . . — Map (db m63924) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Double Gate Monumental Stairs and Observation Plaza
The Restoration Project of the Second Temple Period Double Gate Monumental Stairs and Observation Plaza — Map (db m63963) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Jehoshaphat's Cave — מערת יהושפט — مغارة يهوشافاط
This is a burial complex from the Second Temple period. The facade of the cave features the relief of a gable resembling the roof facade of a sacred building. The decorative style is drawn from Hellenistic art, which influenced Jewish burial . . . — Map (db m63932) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Ketef Hinnom
The Burial Caves date from the First Temple Period. Throughout many generations, they served affluent Jerusalem families as a location to bury their dead. The deceased was placed on a stone slab with a special indentation for the head. At the end of . . . — Map (db m63881) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Latin Dedicatory Inscription
Latin Text that appears on Stone: ... )s Tiberivm ... Pon)tivs Pilatvs ... Praef)ectvsivda(ea) English Translation of Text, provided, but not seen on Stone: ... building in . . . — Map (db m88742) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — Ritual Baths and Water Conduits
The Restoration Project of the Second Temple period Ritual Baths and Water Conduits in the area south of the Temple Mount Enclosure — Map (db m63951) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Burnt Room and the House of the Bullae — Destruction and Ruin
"He burned the House of the Lord, the king's palace, and all the houses of Jerusalem; he burned down the house of every notable person." (II Kings 25: 9) This residential quarter went up in flames with the rest of . . . — Map (db m63933) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The House of Ahiel — בית אחיאל
Here Dwells Ahiel in a Four Room House "He (David) had houses made for himself in the City of David..." (1 Chronicles15: 1) The name 'Ahiel' appears on potsherds found among the ruins of this house. The House . . . — Map (db m65296) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Large Stone Structure — The Remains of King David's Palace? — מבנה האבן הגדול
"And Hiram king of Tyre sent messengers to David, and cedar - trees, and carpenters, and masons; and they built David a house" (II Samuel 5: 11) Excavations in progress at this site since May 2005 conducted by Eilat Mazar, . . . — Map (db m64064) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Pool of Shiloah (Siloam) — Second Temple Splendor
"The other events of Hezekiah's reign, and all his exploits, and all his exploits, and how he made the pool and the conduit and brought the water into the city, are recorded in the Annals of the Kings of Judah" (II Kings 20:20) . . . — Map (db m63905) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Royal Quarter (Area G)
"...the city shall be rebuilt on its mound, and the fortress in its proper place" (Jeremiah 30:18) The inhabitants of ancient Jerusalem once built their homes on this hillside. The earliest structure unearthed here . . . — Map (db m63928) HM
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The Water System — (Warren's Shaft) — Into the Depths of the Earth Through the Ancient Water System
"And David said on that day: 'Whosoever smiteth the Jebusites, and getteth up to the gutter...'" (II Samuel 5:8) We are standing at the entrance to a subterranean water system. The Gihon Spring was Jerusalem's main . . . — Map (db m63947) HM
Israel, Northern District, Capharnaum — The Synagogue of Jesus
The Late Fourth Century A.D. "White Synagogue" Built Upon the Remains of the "Synagogue of Jesus"Map (db m64091) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — Mount of Precipice — The Leaping Mountain
Rising above the southern part of the Nazareth Mountain Mt. of Precipice (397 meters) Look out over Nazareth, Mt. Tabor and The Yizrael Valley at its foot. Mt. of Precipice is also known as "The Leaping Mountain" - according to old . . . — Map (db m65395) HM
Israel, Northern District, Nazareth — The Ancient Village of Nazareth
What is left of the ancient village consist of a network of grottoes and bits of walls form various historical periods. Going backwards in time we found first the remains of the XVII century Franciscan monastery, then the palace of the crusader . . . — Map (db m65462) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — "Magic on the sea of galilee..."
Tiberias the capital of the Galilee, one of the four Holy Cities of Israel Which was built by Antipas in the year 17-20, C.E. Antipas named the city Tiberias in honor of the Roman Ceasar, Tiberius. The institution of Jewish Leadership, the Sanhedrin . . . — Map (db m65327) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — Domestic Building
This building was part of Tiberias' northern quarter between the 6th and 11th centuries CE. The quarter occupied by Jews and the synagogue stood in its center. This building has three rooms and a courtyard with a well. — Map (db m65359) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — Doors of Burial Caves / Burial Customs - Sarcophagi
[Text at the top of the marker]: Doors of Burial Caves Burial caves were frequently sealed by stone doors in order to prevent bad smells and looting. In 2nd-3rd centuries CE Tiberias, basalt doors were used in mausolea and decorated . . . — Map (db m65341) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Architecture of Tiberias
The Architecture of Tiberias The columns, bases, cornices and capitals attest to the superb architecture of the public buildings in Tiberias. These were built according to the 2nd-3rd centuries CE Roman Imperial tradition. The . . . — Map (db m65352) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Crusader-Ottoman Building / Millstones
[Text at the top of the marker]: The Crusader-Ottoman Building This was built in the 12th century CE and remained in use until the Ottoman period. The hall has typical pointed vaults and embrasures in the walls, with remains of . . . — Map (db m65331) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Southern Wall
The wall was erected by the Beduin Governor of the Tiberias Region, Daher El-Omer, in the 18th century on the basis of the ruins of an earlier wall built by the Crusaders. The wall was destroyed in the 1837 earthquake and since then only . . . — Map (db m65326) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tiberias — The Synagogue
This is one of the thirteen synagogues existed in Tiberias according to the Talmud. It was a square building divided by two rows of columns. One of the mosaics bears a dedication inscription decorated with Jewish symbols: Lulav and Etrog. The . . . — Map (db m65333) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tsipori — The Citadel
The Citadel (perhaps a watch tower) was built during the crusader period on foundations from an earlier period. Some of the cornerstones are rubble-filled Roman sarcophagi. In the 18th Century the building was renovated by Dahr El-Omar, the . . . — Map (db m65412) HM
Israel, Northern District, Tsipori — The Theater
The Roman theater was built in the late first or early second century C.E. Carved into the bedrock on the steep northern slope of the hill. It's diameter is 72 m., and it seated 4000. The rows of seats constructed on the hewn bedrock were robbed . . . — Map (db m65405) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — Bathing in Roman Style
"The fittings of the interior - apartments, colonnades and baths - were of manifold variety and sumptuous ..." Josephus Flavius Beyond the human need for cleanliness, the bathhouse also had a social function. Bathing and the . . . — Map (db m64079) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — Columbarium Tower (dovecot)
Why did the king raise doves on the mountain? There were three columbarium towers on Masada. The one in front of us was used as a dovecot in its ground floor, and as a watchtower in its upper story. In the walls of the dovecot are several . . . — Map (db m64068) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — The "Casemate of the Scrolls"
A large and rare concentration of finds from the time of the revolt was found in a corner of the room of the wall in which we stand: inscribed sheets of papyrus, fragments of scrolls, silver shekel coins, textiles, sandals, and glass vessels and . . . — Map (db m64071) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — The Breaching Point — נקודת הפריצה
Here the siege of Masada ended. The ramp that the Romans had built up to the summit of the mountain reached to below this point. At the top of the ramp rose the siege tower, and in it was the battering ram with which the Romans assaulted the . . . — Map (db m64069) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — The Discovery Location of the "Lots"
"...then, having chosen by lot ten of their number to dispatch the rest... these, having unswervingly slaughtered all, ordained the same rule of the lot for one another, that he on whom it fell should slay first the nine nd then himself last of . . . — Map (db m64101) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — The Rebel's Community Life
How to organize community life under siege? Near the western entrance square were discovered large concentrations of inscribed pottery shards (ostraca) from the period of the revolt. They bear names, combinations of letters or single letters in . . . — Map (db m64077) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — The Synagogue
"Long since, my brave men, we determined neither to serve the Romans nor any other save God ..." Josephus Flavius The rebels' way of life on Masada required a building suitable for community meetings and Torah readings. This . . . — Map (db m64076) HM
Israel, Southern District (Mehoz HaDarom), Arad — The Water Gate — שער המים
The path that climbed to Masada from the west via the cisterns terminated at this gate. Visitors to the mountain and the beasts of burden that carried water took this path to the summit of Masada. A channel starting at the gate carried to some of . . . — Map (db m64148) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Adairsville — Adairsville, Georgia
Adairsville had its beginning in Oothcaloga Valley, two miles north of the present site. It was named for Cherokee Indian Chief John Adair, the son of a Scottish trader and a Cherokee Princess. Adairsville moved in 1848 to Adair Station . . . — Map (db m20005) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Chickamauga — Clarissa Hunt Plantation — and Confederate Courier's Grave — Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
On the east side of the West Chickamauga Creek, a short distance from Lee and Gordon's Mills, on the LaFayette Road, was the imposing "Snow Hill" plantation that had been established by James H. Hunt. He operated the area's post office, called Snow . . . — Map (db m82789) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Chickamauga — Glass's Mill Battle Site — Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
Glass's Mill was a multi-story frame structure that stood on the southeastern bank of West Chickamauga Creek about two miles from Crawfish Spring, providing the grain grinding needs for a number of families living in the surrounding area. Glass's . . . — Map (db m82817) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Chickamauga — Glass's Mill Battle Site — Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
After the war, whenever veterans got together, there was much talk of great artillery duels. many would speak of General Thomas' battle line of cannons at Chickamauga. But in fact, the only real artillery duel of the battle took place at Glass's . . . — Map (db m82840) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Chickamauga — Henderson Plantation — Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
John S. Henderson, the son of a Scottish immigrant, came to the local area from Tennessee with his brother William and an African slave woman named Millie. He bought land that included the old farm of Jesse Lane, where the stage stopped, another . . . — Map (db m82792) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-718 — 100th Illinois Infantry
Illinois 100th Infantry. Buell's Brigade. 11 A.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m101580) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-717 — 100th Illinois Infantry — 1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 100th Infantry. 1st Brigade - Buell. 1st Division - Wood. 21st Army Corps - Crittenden Text on the Back Side of the Monument: Commanded . . . — Map (db m102080) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-854 — 101st Indiana Infantry — 2nd Brigade - King — 4th Division - Reynolds
Text on Front Side of Monument: 101th Indiana Battery 2nd Brigade - King. 4th Division - Reynolds. 14th Corps - Thomas. Text on Back Side of Monument: Indiana's Tribute To Her One . . . — Map (db m101581) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1029 — 101st Ohio Infantry — 2nd Brigade - Carlin — 1st Division - Davis
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 101st Ohio Infantry, 2nd Brigade, 1st Division. 20th Army Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: This Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel John Messer commanding, became . . . — Map (db m102142) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-721 — 104th Illinois Infantry — J. Beatty's Brigade
Illinois 104th Infantry. J. Beatty's Brigade. 10 a.m. September 20, 1863. Supporting Stanley's Brigade. — Map (db m97764) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1031 — 105th Ohio Infantry — King's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
105th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, King's Brigade, 4:30 P.M. September 19, 1863.Map (db m97492) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1030 — 105th Ohio Infantry — Colonel Edward A. King's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
Text on the Front Side: 105th Ohio Infantry, Colonel Edward A. King's Brigade, Reynolds' Division, 14th Army Corps. Text on the Back Side: September 19th, 1863, from about 3:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M. this Regiment, . . . — Map (db m100665) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1289 — 10th Confederate Georgia Cavalry — Scott's Brigade — Pegram's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. Co's, "F", "G", "H", "I", "K", 10th Confederate. Col. C.T. Goode. Scott's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 11 A.M. Sept. 20, 1863.Map (db m61618) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-778 — 10th Indiana Infantry
Indiana. Tenth Regiment Infantry. (Carroll) Second Brigade. (Croxton) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Sunday, September 20th, 1863, 8 A.M. to 11 A.M.Map (db m82887) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-780 — 10th Indiana Infantry
Indiana. Tenth Regiment Infantry. (Carroll) Second Brigade. (Croxton) Third Division. (Brannan) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Sunday, September 20th, 1863, 4 P.M. to 5 P.M. — Map (db m97423) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-777 — 10th Indiana Infantry — Croxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division
Text from the front side of the monument: 2nd Brigade - Croxton. 3rd Division - Brannan. 14th Corps - Thomas. 10th Regiment Indiana Infantry. Text from the back side of the monument: Indiana's Tribute To . . . — Map (db m99083) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1077 — 10th Wisconsin Infantry — 1st Brigade — 1st Division
Text on the Front Side of Monument: 10th Wisconsin Infantry. 1st. Brigade, 1st. Division, 14th. Corps. Text on the Back Side of Monument: This regiment, Lieutenant Colonel John H. Ely . . . — Map (db m87384) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-891 — 11th Michigan Infantry — Stanley's Brigade — Negley's Division
Eleventh Michigan Infantry 11 a.m. September 20, 1863 Participated in Capture of General D. W. AdamsMap (db m87314) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-892 — 11th Michigan Infantry — Stanley's Brigade — Negley's Division
Eleventh Michigan Infantry Afternoon September 19, 1863 — Map (db m103436) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-959 — 11th Ohio Infantry — Turchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
Text on the front side of the monument: 11th. Ohio Infantry, Turchin's Brigade, Reynolds's Division, 14th. Army Corps. Text on the back side of the monument: This Regiment, Colonel Philander P. Lane . . . — Map (db m97424) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1036 — 124th Ohio Infantry — Hazen's Brigade — Palmer's Division
124th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Hazen's Brigade. 8:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. September 20, 1863. — Map (db m103634) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-728 — 125th Illinois Infantry — 2nd Brigade - Daniel McCook — 2nd Division - Morgan
Illinois 125th Infantry Daniel McCook's Brigade 6 p.m. 18th to 7 a.m. 19th of September 1863 "The opening of the battle." — Map (db m104969) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-727 — 125th Illinois Infantry Regiment — 2nd Brigade - Daniel McCook — 2nd Division - Morgan
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Illinois 125th Infantry. 2nd Brigade - Daniel McCook. 2nd Division - Morgan. Reserve Corps - Granger Text on the Back Side of the Monument: . . . — Map (db m102021) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-894 — 13th Michigan Infantry — 1st Brigade - Buell — 1st Division - Wood
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: Michigan To Her Thirteenth Regiment of Infantry Commanded By Colonel Joshua B. Culver, Major Willard G. Eaton. Buell's Brigade. Wood's Division. Crittenden's Corps Text . . . — Map (db m102110) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-434A — 14th Corps Headquarter’s
General Thomas' Headquarters. Daylight September 19, 1863.Map (db m87674) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-963 — 14th Ohio Infantry — Croxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division
Inscription on stone monument: 14th Ohio Infantry 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 14th Army Corps. Text on bronze plaque: This regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Henry D. Kingsbury commanding, engaged the enemy . . . — Map (db m65612) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-964 — 14th Ohio Infantry — Croxton's Brigade — Brannan's Division
14th. Regiment Ohio Infantry, Croxton's Brigade. 10:00 A.M. to 11:30 A.M. September 19, 1863. — Map (db m99097) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1304 — 15th Georgia Infantry — Benning's Brigade — Law's Hood's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 15th Infantry. Colonel Dudley M. DuBose. Major P.J. Shannon. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's Division. Noon, September 20, 1863.Map (db m76214) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1303 — 15th Georgia Infantry — Benning's Brigade — Law's Hood's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 15th Infantry. Colonel Dudley M. DuBose. Major P.J. Shannon. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's Division. 4 p.m., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m102177) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-965 — 15th Ohio Infantry — Willich's Brigade — Johnson's Division
Text on the front side of the monument: 15th Ohio Infantry, 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps. Text on the back side of the monument: The 15th Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Askew commanding, was . . . — Map (db m99188) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1064 — 15th United States Infantry — King's Brigade — Baird's Division
. . . — Map (db m87395) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1079 — 15th Wisconsin Infantry — Heg's Brigade — Davis' Division
Text on the Front Side of the Monument: 15th Wisconsin Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Ole C. Johnson 3rd Brigade - 1st Division 20th Corps. Text on the Back Side of the Monument: 15th Wisconsin Infantry. This . . . — Map (db m102259) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1064A — 16th United States Infantry
In Memory of the Officers and Enlisted Men of the 16th U.S. Infantry Who Were Killed or Died of Wounds Received in This Field September 19 and 20, 1863 Strength 19 Officers 289 Men Casualties 14 Officers . . . — Map (db m87400) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1305 — 17th Georgia Infantry — Benning's Brigade — Law's Hood's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 17th Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Matthews. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's, Division. Noon, September 20, 1863.Map (db m76212) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1306 — 17th Georgia Infantry — Benning's Brigade — Law's Hood's, Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 17th Infantry Lieutenant Colonel Charles W. Matthews. Benning's Brigade. Law's Hood's, Division. 4 p.m., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m102172) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-783 — 17th Indiana Mounted Infantry — Wilder's Brigade — Reynold's Division
. . . — Map (db m106797) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-784 — 17th Indiana Mounted Infantry — Wilder's Brigade — Reynold's Division
Indiana Seventeenth Regiment (Mounted) Infantry. (Jones) First Brigade. (Wilder) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Friday, September 18th, 1863, 5 P.M., to 7 P.M. — Map (db m106803) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-785 — 17th Indiana Mounted Infantry — Wilder's Brigade — Reynold's Division
Indiana Seventeenth Regiment (Mounted) Infantry. (Jones) First Brigade. (Wilder) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Friday, September 18th, 1863, 10 A.M. — Map (db m106837) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-967 — 17th Ohio Infantry — Connell's Brigade — Brannan's Division
Text from the front side of the Monument: 17th Ohio Infantry, Lieutenant Colonel Durbin Ward Commanding. Connell's Brigade, Brannan's Division. 14th Army Corps. Text from the back side of the Monument: . . . — Map (db m76351) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-750 — 18th Indiana Battery — Wilder's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 6 - 3" Rifles, 4 Mountain Howitzers. Wilder's Brigade, Reynolds' Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19, 1863, 4 p.m. Captain Eli Lilly, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Joseph A. Scott. 2nd . . . — Map (db m98211) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-755 — 18th Indiana Battery — Wilder's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
Indiana. Eighteenth Battery. (Lilly) First Brigade. (Wilder) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 4:30 P.M. — Map (db m98232) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-753 — 18th Indiana Battery — 1st Brigade - Wilder — 4th Division - Reynolds
Indiana. Eighteenth Battery. (Lilly) First Brigade. (Wilder) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Friday, September 18th, 1863, 10:00 A.M. to 4 P.M. — Map (db m102031) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-749 — 18th Indiana Battery — Wilder's Brigade — Reynold's Division
18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. 6 - 3" Rifles, 4 Mountain Howitzers. Wilder's Brigade, Reynolds' Division, Thomas' Corps. September 18, 1863. Captain Eli Lilly, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Joseph A. Scott. 2nd Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m102034) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-758 — 18th Indiana Battery — Wilder's Brigade — Reynold's Division
Indiana. Eighteenth Battery. (Lilly) First Brigade. (Wilder) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Friday, September 18th, 1863, 5:30 P.M. to 9 P.M. — Map (db m106801) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-873 — 18th Kentucky Infantry (USA) — Turchin's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
18th Kentucky Inf. U.S. Vols.Map (db m96849) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1065 — 18th United States Infantry — 3rd Brigade — 1st Division
Text on Front Side of Monument: 18th U.S. Infantry 3rd Brigade, 1st Division 14th Corps September 19-20, 1863 Statement of Casualties Engaged - 587 Killed - 45 Wounded - 159 Missing - 91 Total Loss - 295 . . . — Map (db m87393) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-761 — 19th Indiana Battery — 2nd Brigade - King — 4th Division - Reynolds
Text on Front Side of Monument: 19th Indiana Battery 2nd Brigade - King 4th Division - Reynolds 14th Corps - Thomas Text on Back Side of Monument: Indiana's Tribute To Her Nineteenth Battery, . . . — Map (db m68902) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-762 — 19th Indiana Battery — 2nd Brigade - King — 4th Division - Reynolds
Indiana Nineteenth Battery. (Harris) Second Brigade. (King) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 12 M. to 4 P.M.Map (db m87696) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-760 — 19th Indiana Battery — E. A. King's Brigade — Reynold's Division
19th Indiana Battery. Four Napoleons, Two 3" Rifles. E.A. King's Brigade, Reynolds Division, Thomas' Corps. September 19th, 1863, 4 p.m.. Captain Samuel J. Harris, Commanding. 1st Lieutenant Robert S. Lackey. About 3 p.m. King's . . . — Map (db m98165) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-763 — 19th Indiana Battery — King's Brigade — Reynolds' Division
Indiana Nineteenth Battery. (Harris) Second Brigade. (King) Fourth Division. (Reynolds) Fourteenth Corps. (Thomas) Saturday, September 19th, 1863, 4 P.M. to 10 P.M. — Map (db m98199) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1066 — 19th United States Infantry — 3rd Brigade — 1st Division
Text on Front Side of the Monument: 19th U.S. Infantry, 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 14th Corps Regular ........September 19-20, 1863........ Brigade Text on Left Side of the Monument: . . . — Map (db m87431) HM WM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1292 — 1st Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters — Wilson's Brigade — Gist's Walker's Division.
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Battalion. Major Arthur Shaaf. Wilson's Brigade. Gist's Walker's Division. 12:30 P.M., September 20, 1863. — Map (db m98965) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1293 — 1st Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters — Wilson's Brigade — Walker's Division
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Battalion Sharpshooters. Major Arthur Shaaff. Wilson's Brigade. Walker's Division. 8:30 A.M., September 19, 1863. — Map (db m99154) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1291 — 1st Confederate Georgia, 2nd Battalion Infantry — Jackson's Brigade — Cheatham's Division.
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Confederate. 2d Battalion Infantry. Major James Clark Gordon. Jackson's Brigade. Cheatham's Division. 5:30 P.M., September 20, 1863. — Map (db m97684) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-1277 — 1st Georgia Cavalry
C.S.A. Georgia. 1st Cavalry. Capt. J.J Morrison. Davidson's Brigade. Pegram's Division. 11 A.M., Sept. 20, 1863.Map (db m59228) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Fort Oglethorpe — MT-862 — 1st Kentucky Infantry Regiment (US Volunteers)
1st Kentucky Inf. U.S. Vols.Map (db m96847) HM WM
Indiana (Adams County), Decatur — 01.1977.1 — The Wayne Trace
General Anthony Wayne and the Legion of the United States passed this way on October 30, 1794, in route from Fort Wayne to Fort Greenville, ending the western campaign against the Indian Confederacy. The Legion spent the previous night camped 2.6 . . . — Map (db m29620) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Chief Little Turtle — 1752 - 1812
ME-SHE-KIN-QUAH, Chief of the Miami Indians Teacher of his people Friend of the United States His endeavors toward peace should serve as an inspiration for future generations This plot of ground, the last resting place of Chief . . . — Map (db m21066) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.2000.1 — Fort Miamis
[Marker Front]: French built a palisaded fort on this strategic site in 1722; named Fort Saint Philippe des Miamis. One of three French forts built in what is now Indiana to protect French fur trade from encroaching English. First of five . . . — Map (db m21029) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Johnny Appleseed — 1774-1845
Johnny Appleseed legendary planter of orchards across Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, was a real person named John Chapman. He was a friend to all God's creatures and a missionary for the Swedenborgian religion, a Christian denomination. He was . . . — Map (db m21560) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Kekionga
This area of the Three Rivers was a site of settlement of Native Americans for as much as 10,000 years. The collection of villages known as Kekionga, located in the present-day Lakeside neighborhood, was a center of the Miami nation in historic . . . — Map (db m21501) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Maumee - Wabash Portage — "Glorious Gate"
Only land barrier on shortest trade route between Quebec and New Orleans. Eastern landing of eight- mile carry from St. Mary's to Little River. Used by Indians, French, British and American traders. — Map (db m21061) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Meshekinnoquah — (Chief Little Turtle)
Chief Little Turtle was one of the most feared and respected leaders during the frontier wars of the 1780s and 1790s when Fort Wayne was born. Known to his people as Meshekinnoquah, Little Turtle is thought to have been born in 1752 in a village . . . — Map (db m21503) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Old Fort Wayne Well
The "Old Well," an important factor in the existence of the fort and its people, saved the fort from Indian fire brands in 1812. Fort Wayne was first built, near by, in 1794. It was rebuilt, on this site, in 1804, and 1815. - - - - - - - - . . . — Map (db m21210) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Richardville — 1761 - 1841
Richardville 1761 - 1841 Made Chief of the Miamis for his Daring rescue of a White prisoner from Burning at the Stake — Map (db m52919) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Site of Last French Fort
Erected, 1750, by Captain Raimond Surrendered to the British under Lieutenant Butler in 1760. Ensign Richard Holmes and British garrison massacred by Miami Indians in 1763. The most severe engagement of battle between Gen. Josiah . . . — Map (db m21036) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Battle of Harmar's Ford
To the Memory of Major John Wyllys And His Brave Soldiers Who Were Killed Near this Spot In The Battle of Harmar's Ford Oct. 22, 1790 With the Indians Under Chief Little Turtle — Map (db m21358) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Battle of Kekionga
The Battle of Kekionga in October 1790 was the fist battle fought by the United States Army after the War for Independence. The campaign had been ordered by President Washington against the Miami settlement of Kekionga, the center of Indian . . . — Map (db m21497) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The First French Fort / The First Playground in Fort Wayne
[Left side of marker]:The First French Fort The French lived among the Miami at the Three Rivers as early as 1697 when Jean Baptiste Bissot, Sieur de Vincennes (d. 1719), and Francois Marie Bissot de Vincennes, the son of Jean Baptiste . . . — Map (db m26867) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Last Two American Forts/The Siege of 1812
The Last Two American Forts In 1798, Col. Thomas Hunt began construction on this site of the second American fort at the Three Rivers. this fort, which was completed in 1800, replaced the first, hastily built one erected nearby to the . . . — Map (db m21219) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — The Site of General Wayne's Fort
The Site Of General Anthony Wayne's Fort Dedicated October 22nd 1794 It Was The First United States Fort Near "Three Rivers" This Fort Commanded The Shortest Portage Between The St. Lawrence And Mississippi Systems A Portage . . . — Map (db m21020) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1992.2 — Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking
On February 22, 1832, ground was broken two blocks north for the canal, which would link Lake Erie at Toledo with the Ohio River at Evansville. Jordan Vigus, Canal Commissioner, Charles W. Ewing, Samuel Hanna, Elias Murray participated in the . . . — Map (db m21045) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Wayne Trace
Wayne Trace Once the Indian trail to Cincinnati The route Of General Harmer's Army in 1790 Of General Wayne's When leaving the stockade Christened by Major Hamtramck "Fort Wayne" in 1794 Also of General Harrison's Army . . . — Map (db m52749) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — William Wells
A tract of 320 acres of land extending west of the St. Joseph River (the modern Bloomingdale and Spy Run neighborhoods) was set aside by an act of Congress in 1808 for the Indian agent William Wells in recognition of his many services to the U.S. . . . — Map (db m26863) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — Donald R. Bernard — 1932-1993
In Memory of Historian, Author, and Fire Chief Donald R. Bernard 1932 - 1993 Who led Revolutionary and Civil War Re-enactments on this site. His efforts brought awareness of the significant role the area . . . — Map (db m88205)
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — Fort Phoenix — Active 1775 - 1876
In May 1775, British General Gage, bottled up in Boston Harbor after the Battle of Concord and Lexington in 1775, sent the HMS Falcon to Martha's Vineyard and the Elizabeth Islands in search of food and supplies. Two of the . . . — Map (db m86947) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — Fort Phoenix — A National Historic Site
1775 - First naval encounter of American Revolution. 1778 - Captured and destroyed by the British. 1812 - Repelled British attempt at capture. 1861 - Manned by Federal troops in defense of this harbor.Map (db m88055) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — Fort Phoenix
The fortress structures of Fort Phoenix remaining today are the parapet, built before the Civil War, and the gunpowder magazine, completed in 1865. The Civil War era officer's quarters and barracks were destroyed by fire in 1918. The shape and . . . — Map (db m88105) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — Major Israel Fearing — The Ardent Patriot and Accomplished Soldier
Erected in Memory of Major Israel Fearing the Ardent Patriot and Accomplished Soldier ———— On the 7th day of September 1778 the British troops landed from their ships in the bay for the . . . — Map (db m88084) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — Revolutionary War Cannon — Fort Phoenix
Taken from the British at Nassau 1777, by Colonial ship of war Alfred - Placed on Fort Phoenix Recaptured by British and left on the fort spiked, and with trunions knocked off - Afterwards mounted in Union street for village defense. Placed here . . . — Map (db m88106) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Fairhaven — William Bradford
William Bradford Marine Artist 1823-1892 Built his first studio in 1851 on this site. The Fairhaven native achieved international fame as a lecturer and an Arctic painter. Queen Victoria commissioned Bradford . . . — Map (db m86796) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Ernestina's Many Lives
Docked across from you (when not at sea as a sail training and education vessel), Ernestina is one of the oldest wooden sailing vessels afloat. The ship is also one of the last surviving Gloucester fishing schooners, one of only two remaining . . . — Map (db m86768) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — A Tribute of Respect to Enterprising Whalemen
. . . — Map (db m86653)
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Cape Verde to New Bedford
For many Cape Verde Islanders, the New bedford wharf area was the first view of America. At the height of immegration between 1900 and 1921, more than a dozen packet boats ran between Cape Verde and New Bedford, the main port of entry. Packet . . . — Map (db m86766) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Captain Paul Cuffe's Atlantic World
London Cuffe sought support in London from the African Institution - a group that was committed "to stimulating trade with Africa, without itself trading, to promote African education and improved farming methods, and to be a . . . — Map (db m86901) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Colonel George Claghorn
Text on the Bronze Plaque Near this Site was located the shipyard of Colonel George Claghorn Builder of U.S. Frigate Constitution and Ship Rebecca the first whaler to double Cape Horn. His service in the . . . — Map (db m86782) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Dedicated as a Tribute
Text on Front side of Monument: Dedicated as a Tribute to the sturdy whalemen who early won fame for New Bedford and their successors who, inheriting ideals and resourcefulness gave to the city new prominence . . . — Map (db m86677)
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — From Whales to Bales
A one-industry whaling town before the Civil War, New Bedford became a one-industry textile town afterward. Cotton bales and coal, both bound for the city's new textile mills, began to replace oil casks on New Bedford wharves. Oil casks . . . — Map (db m86731) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — From Whales to Flatfish and Scallops
The boats you see in the harbor today are mostly commercial fishing vessels - primarily draggers and scallopers; the whaling barks of the past have long since vanished. By the 1930s, just as whaling faded and the textile industry fled to the . . . — Map (db m86680) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Lost Lightship Sailors Memorial
Text on Upper Front (East) Side of Memorial: Lost Lightship Sailors Memorial This Memorial created in Memory of All Lightship Sailors lost in performance of duties Inspired by Harold Flagg, LV 73 . . . — Map (db m86786) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Merrill's Wharf
On the other side of the Bourne Counting House, the granite building in front of you, is Merrill's Wharf, completed in 1847. The wharf then was the longest in New Bedford port. Built by Edward Merrill for an expanding whaling fleet, this wharf . . . — Map (db m86733) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Preserving Whaling's Legacy — The New Bedford Whaling Museum
In 1915, in the waning light of whaling's final decade, Emily Howland Bourne financed the construction of a museum building to honor her whaling merchant father, Jonathan Bourne, Jr. This marked the first steadfast effort to preserve New . . . — Map (db m86657) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), New Bedford — Whaling's Final Days
During the war, we were getting a dollar and a half a gallon for sperm oil. And then around 1922 there was no more demand for sperm oil....The price of sending a ship to sea doubled and the price of oil dropped about 200 percent....And . . . — Map (db m86759) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Delphos — Miami and Erie Canal — Lock 24 — Ohio Dept. Natural Resources, Division of Water
Ohio Dept. Natural Resources Division of Water Miami and Erie Canal Lock 24 <- .4 mile to Jennings Creek .8 mile Lock 23 -> — Map (db m29666) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Delphos — Miami and Erie Canal / Delphos — Anthony Wayne Parkway
[West Side of Marker]: Miami and Erie Canal This marker is on the right-of-way of the old Miami and Erie Canal. Gov. DeWitt Clinton of New York broke ground for the canal on July 21, 1825 just below Middletown. Built in sections, the . . . — Map (db m30160) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Fort Amanda
Erected by order of General William H. Harrison in October 1812 and became an important depository of army stores during the war. — Map (db m19821) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — 1-6 — Fort Amanda — Ohio Historical Marker
[Marker Front] After Gen. William Hull's surrender at Detroit early in the War of 1812, most of Michigan Territory came under British and Indian control. To prevent a possible invasion of Ohio, Gen. William Henry Harrison, commander of . . . — Map (db m19826) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Miami & Erie Canal Deep Cut / Miami & Erie Canal — Anthony Wayne Parkway
Miami & Erie Canal, Deep Cut You are on that section of the Miami and Erie Canal where the greatest excavation was made – a section that has been known over the years as “Deep Cut.” The huge ditch, 6,600 feet long and 5 to . . . — Map (db m22848) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Miami – Erie Canal — Lock 15
Miami – Erie Canal From 1845 to about 1906 barges pulled by horses provided transportation from the Ohio River to Lake Erie through a system of locks which raised or lowered boats to the next level of the canal. Locks often became . . . — Map (db m22933) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Tawa Town
The headwaters of the Auglaize are just south of you. You are on the old Auglaize-Miami portage trail, the most direct canoe route between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Here, long before white men arrived and until 1817, was an Indian settlement -- . . . — Map (db m20080) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Bowstring Girder
Constructed in 1864, this is the oldest cast iron "bowstring girder" bridge in Ohio. Originally part of a three-span structure over the Auglaize River in Wapakoneta, the bridge was moved to Moulton Angle Road north of New Knoxville in 1904. In 1984, . . . — Map (db m22947) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Loramie Summit
The Miami Erie Canal, built 1825-1845, 244.5 miles long, was a transporter of passengers and freight between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. This section is Loramie Summit., a 21 mile plateau of water retained by Lock 1-N (this marker) and Lock 1-S at . . . — Map (db m22946) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen
Lockkeeper's House The Lockkeeper's House was the residence of the Lockkeeper and his family. The Lockkeeper was on duty 24 hours a day, seven days per week, and was responsible for operating the lock as needed to move boats through the . . . — Map (db m22781) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — Miami and Erie Canal, New Bremen
Locking Through Lock One North is one of 105 locks used to raise and lower boats traveling between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. Large wooden gates were built at each end of the lock to hold water in the lock. A boat, pulled by a team of . . . — Map (db m23062) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — 2-6 — The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Begun in 1833, the Miami Extension linked the Miami Canal in Dayton to the Wabash & Erie Canal at Junction. Engineering difficulties, epidemics and the Panic of 1837 delayed completion of the Extension . . . — Map (db m20023) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Saint Marys — Saint Marys River
To the right is the Saint Marys River. This waterway was used by the Indians for generations as a route to hunting grounds in Kentucky. French, and later English traders traversed its course with trade goods in exchange for furs. James Girty, a . . . — Map (db m30258) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St Marys — The "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal
To the left is the "Short Level" of the Miami and Erie Canal. The canal extension from Dayton to Toledo was completed in 1837. Linking the Great Lakes to the Ohio River. Travel took only five days to Toledo and six days to Cincinnati. The canal . . . — Map (db m29673) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Johns — Blackhoof's Last Home
Blackhoof: Born in Florida about 1721. Arriving in this vicinity 1783 - Surnames: Cut-The-We-Ka-Saw or Catahecassa - Principal Chief of Shawnee Indian Nation - erected here in 1822. In a clearing of the vast forest a two story 18'x24' log house - . . . — Map (db m29631) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — Fort St. Marys
Erected here in 1795 by General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, probably after the signing of the Greenville Treaty, on land ceded by the Indians. This area was also the site of the signing of the Treaty of St. Marys in 1818 (the Indian campsites being to the . . . — Map (db m19855) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — C18 — Fort St. Marys / Fort Barbee / Girty Town — Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Trail
. . . — Map (db m29605) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), St. Marys — Miami and Erie Canal — Lock 13 — Ohio Dept. Natural Resources, Division of Water
Ohio Dept. Natural Resources Division of Water Miami and Erie Canal Lock 13 <- .1 mile Canal Tumble .1 mile Lock 12 -> — Map (db m30260) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Hill Cemetery
This cemetery was originally part of the Depreciation Lands (Leet's District), Tract #22, and was surveyed by Daniel Leet in 1785. Known as "McKean", it was patented to Governor Thomas McKean for his service in the American Revolution. After his . . . — Map (db m46823) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Commanding Officers — Fort McIntosh
Col. John Gibson - 1778 Brig. Gen. Lachlan McIntosh - 1778 Lt. Col. Richard Campbell - 1778 Col. Daniel Brodhead - 1778-1779 Capt. John Clark - 1779 & 1781 Capt. Samuel Dawson - 1779 Capt. Robert Beal - 1779 Capt. Simon Morgan - 1779 . . . — Map (db m44746) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh
1778 — • — 1916 This Marks the Site of Fort McIntosh First United States Military Fort On the north side of the Ohio River —————————— Erected by The . . . — Map (db m44745) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh
Fort McIntosh, 1778-1788, built by General Lachlan McIntosh's continentals of the 8th Pennsylvania and 13th Virginia, veterans of Saratoga, Brandywine, Germantown, and Valley Forge, and Virginia Militia, was the first fort built north of the Ohio by . . . — Map (db m44747) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
Many famous names were associated with Fort McIntosh, including commanders Lachlan McIntosh, Danial Brodhead and Josiah Harmar, treaty commissioners George Rogers Clark, Richard Butler and Arthur Lee, geographer Thomas Hutchins, and presidential . . . — Map (db m44748) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — 1778 - 1788
[Left Side of Text]: First Home of the U.S. Army After the American Revolution was won, Congress authorized formation of a small regular army for general defense. This unit, formed under Col. Josiah Harmar, was named the first . . . — Map (db m44750) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
Much forged iron was found near this site, suggesting it was the location of the blacksmith or armorer's shop. The top edge of the slope, now greatly eroded, was much wider in 1778, and would have accommodated the shop and barracks, as well as the . . . — Map (db m44753) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
Visible here are remains of stone fireplace hearths and a portion of the original footer for the south wall of the fort. Artifacts found here included USA buttons and artillery projectiles, suggesting this may have been officers' quarters and . . . — Map (db m44886) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh — You Are Here
The size and shape of the fort was confirmed by the angle of the nearby foundation wall, which matches the opposite wall on the west side. The fort was very large and well built, constructed of square - hewn logs laid horizontally on stone . . . — Map (db m44888) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Fort McIntosh Site — 1778 - 1788 — Birthplace of 1st American Regiment
This marks the western boundary of Fort McIntosh, erected here in 1778 in defense of the western frontier. • • • • • Following the Revolutionary War, a treaty with the Native Americans was drawn at Fort McIntosh in 1785. The occasion was . . . — Map (db m44734) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — General Lachlan McIntosh
General Lachlan McIntosh First Commander, Fort McIntosh President, Society of the Cincinnati in The State of Georgia, 1783-1789 Erected by the Society 1978 — Map (db m44737) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — About River Transit ... — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
The great Ohio River - and the Beaver River that flows into it - played important roles in attracting settlers to the Rochester area. Two hundred years ago, the rivers here served as main transportation routes, sources for industrial water power and . . . — Map (db m55923) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Always A River 1991
. . . — Map (db m44885) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Industry Along the Banks — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
In the 1880s, the heart of Rochester lay on the flat stretch of land along the Ohio River. The main road, Water Street, was a perfect location for businesses for many reasons. Proximity to the rivers and railroads meant heavy supplies could . . . — Map (db m55906) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Lewis and Clark
In 1803, Meriwether Lewis led the corps of discovery, 11 men on a keelboat, though Beaver County. They stayed overnight about 3 miles west of Beaver and stopped in Georgetown. This visit was commemorated by a reenactment in Rochester and Georgetown . . . — Map (db m44791) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Logans Town
Talgayeeta, a Cayuga Indian also known as Chief Logan lived here 1772. Logans sister Koonay married trader John Gibson here. Logans family was massacred by renegade whites at Yellow Creek in 1774. He then wreaked terrible vengeance on white settlers . . . — Map (db m44880) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Make Way for the Railroad — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
By 1851 the railroad had arrived at Rochester. Rail transit had been developed in the year before and had finally spread through Pittsburgh and surrounding western Pennsylvania towns. Railroads were built on flat surfaces - one commonly flat . . . — Map (db m55185) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Rochester — Spanning the Waters — Riverfrontiers — Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers
Before bridges, ferry boats did a brisk business transporting passengers and their goods from shore to shore. But sometimes even ferries couldn't get through the area's frozen rivers in winter time. It was in 1815 that the first bridge spanned . . . — Map (db m55159) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — Church of Prince William's Parish
Church of Prince William's Parish known as Sheldon Built Between 1745-1755 Burned By the British Army 1779 Rebuilt 1826 Burned By the Federal Army 1865 — Map (db m106086) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — 7-4 — Prince William's Parish Church — (Sheldon Church)
Text from Front Side Prince William's Parish Church (Sheldon Church) These ruins are of Prince William's Parish Church, built ca. 1751-1757 and partially burned during the American Revolution, with its interior and roof rebuilt . . . — Map (db m106077) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Sheldon — William Bull
William Bull of Sheldon Born 1683 Son of Stephen Bull, the Immigrant Member Colonial House of Commons 1706 - 1719 Colonel of Berkeley County Regiment Tuscarora and Yemassee Wars. Lord's Proprietors Deputy 1719. Member and President . . . — Map (db m106135)
West Virginia (Brooke County), Beech Bottom — Beech Bottom Fort
Near here stood Beech Bottom Fort, which was with Fort Pitt and Fort Henry in the group of posts guarding the western borders during the Revolution and its attendant Indian wars. Troops from Fort Pitt helped garrison this important . . . — Map (db m54915) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — George Washington Crossing, 1770
George Washington began a journey on October 5, 1770 to the Ohio Country to see lands he had fought to win and now hoped to own. After a trip, on November 3, up the Kanawha River, the party headed back up the Ohio River. On November 17, they reached . . . — Map (db m33913) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Isaac Duvall and Company
The first glass house in Western Virginia was built at Charlestown, now Wellsburg, in 1813, by Isaac Taylor Duvall and Company. It was located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Yankee Streets. Cobalt blue, green and clear flint glass wares were . . . — Map (db m39642) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick Gass
Born 12 June 1771, Gass served as carpenter for Lewis and Clark. The expedition explored and studied the land, waterways, animal life, natural features and resources of the West. Gass's journal of trip was published in 1807. Soldier in the War of . . . — Map (db m39731) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Patrick M. Gass — 1771 - 1870
The grave of Patrick M. Gass, a sergeant on the Lewis and Clark Expedition and a soldier of the War of 1812 is located in this cemetery. His wife Maria is buried beside him. Placed by the Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage . . . — Map (db m54977) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg
Established in 1791. Brooke Academy, started, 1778, incorporated in 1799. Here lived Joseph Doddridge, the author of "Frontier Notes," and Patrick Gass, member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition and author of its "Journal." — Map (db m39699) HM

2255 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2055
Paid Advertisement