Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2244 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2044
 
Booth Dwelling built 1847 image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, circa June 2007
Booth Dwelling built 1847
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Campobello — Campobello's Resort Hotels
In 1881, a group of American businessmen (called themselves the Campobello Company) purchased most of Campobello Island. In an era of summer-long vacations and great summer resorts, the company hoped, by promoting Campobello's charms, to attract, . . . — Map (db m25467) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth invited Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. to Birmingham in 1962. Shuttlesworth saw potential in the young minister, and their combined efforts were instrumental in Birmingham's desegregation. The campaign catapulted King into the . . . — Map (db m73031) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Sixteenth Street Baptist ChurchHas Been Designated a National Historic Landmark.
This property possesses National Significance in commemorating the history of the United States. In 1963 it was the staging ground for the Birmingham Campaign Civil Rights Youth Marches and the place where a bomb killed four young girls, "Martyred . . . — Map (db m63733) HM
Alabama (Madison County), Huntsville — The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal
Side A The Church of the Nativity congregation was organized December 17, 1842 - the name chosen because of the approaching Christmas season. The Convention of the Diocese of Alabama, Protestant Episcopal Church, approved the congregation . . . — Map (db m27858) HM
Colorado (Sedgwick County), Julesburg — Julesburg in Ashes
The senseless slaughter of peaceful Cheyenne on November 29, 1864, at Sand Creek in Southeastern Colorado united the Cheyenne, Sioux and Arapaho Indians.

Near here on January 7, 1865, a small band of Cheyenne Dog Soldiers attacked a stagecoach and . . . — Map (db m47344) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-82 — Morning Star Institutional Church of God in Christ, Inc.
In 1856, the trustees of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church purchased this site from Thomas Mifflin. The present church was erected thereafter and dedicated on July 26, 1857. Extensive renovations of the structure were undertaken in 1865 and 1940. . . . — Map (db m39512) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-100 — Site of Whatcoat Church
In 1791 Daniel Lowber granted permission for “the society of people called Methodists” to erect a “meeting house” at this location. The site was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1796. Adjoining land was obtained in . . . — Map (db m39601) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Delaware State College
Established May 15, 1891, by an act of the Delaware General Assembly as the State College for Colored Students, by virtue of the 1890 Morrill Land-Grant Act under the provisions of the 1862 Morrill Act of Congress. Incorporated July 1, 1891. . . . — Map (db m39054) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-67 — "First in the World"Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service
In 1924, the members of the David C. Harrison American Legion Post # 14 initiated the first American Legion ambulance service in the world. Its eighteen founding members were veterans of World War I who volunteered their time to transport the sick . . . — Map (db m39026) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Claymont — NC-99 — Old Claymont High School
Constructed 1924-25. Also known as the Green Street School. Prominent in United States history as the first public high school in the 17 segregated states to be legally integrated. In January 1951, eight black students applied for admission. Due . . . — Map (db m14705) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Hockessin — NC219 — James Henry "Nip" Winters
Born in 1899 in Washington DC. James Henry Winters was a pitcher in the Negro leagues from 1919-1933. Winters, who was also known as "Jesse" and "Nip," was one of the top left-handed pitchers of his day. Known for his wild style and pitching speed, . . . — Map (db m94255) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), New Castle — NC-134 — Site of Bellanca Airfield
An airfield, aircraft plant, and service hangar were built here in 1928 by Giuseppe Mario Bellanca and Henry B. duPont. An aviation pioneer, Bellanca immigrated from Italy in 1912. His plane Columbia was Charles Lindbergh's choice for a . . . — Map (db m14133) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-41 — American PositionBattle of Cooch's Bridge
On September 3, 1777, an American Light Infantry Corps composed of Continental soldiers from New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia, with militia from Pennsylvania and Delaware, was stationed west of Christina Creek between Aikentown . . . — Map (db m14788) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — Iron Hill School #112CPreserving History: The African-American Community of Iron Hill
The Iron Hill Museum is dedicated to the study of human and natural history of the Iron Hill Area. The Museum is currently engaged in a project to restore the Iron Hill School #112C and document the experiences of African-American students who . . . — Map (db m10053) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-151 — Meeteer House
In the late 18th century a paper mill was established by Thomas Meeteer on the banks of nearby White Clay Creek. In later years Thomas was succeeded in business by his sons Samuel and William. the property on which this house stands was purchased by . . . — Map (db m9976) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Newark — NC-129 — Pride of Delaware Lodge #349 IBPOEW
The Improved Benevolent Protective Order of Elks of the World was formally organized in 1898. Designed to promote civic improvements, the IBPOEW is one of the largest fraternal organizations of its type in the world. Responding to the request of a . . . — Map (db m9974) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Odessa — NC-147 — Old St. Paul's Church
In 1831,a Methodist Society was organized in this community. The congregation was incorporated as Cantwell's Bridge Methodist Episcopal Church in 1832. A small meeting house known as "Brickbat Church" was subsequently constructed on land provided by . . . — Map (db m10539) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Port Penn — Market SquareLocal Trade
Left Panel Sacred Spaces in Secular Places Two congregations formed in Port Penn. Members of the Presbyterian Church were primarily of European descent and dominated the local economy and society. The congregation of St. David's Methodist . . . — Map (db m10395) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-201 — Blue Rock Community Club
Established in 1917 as part of the esteemed General Federation of Women's Clubs, The Blue Rock Community Club (BRCC) provided an important social and service-oriented outlet for women. Beginning with just 11 founding members, the Club became an . . . — Map (db m94235) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Brandywine Springs
A fashionable spa and hotel was located on this site from 1827-1853. Distinguished personalities, such as Henry Clay, came for relaxation and enjoyment. T.U. Walter, the architect of the U.S. Capitol, designed and remodeled the hotel buildings. . . . — Map (db m14756) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-79 — Camp DuPont
First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, . . . — Map (db m14754) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Delcastle
Near this site..."an eminence near McKennan's Church", the Continental forces took position against a British detachment encamped a half-mile away near Mill Town sent as a decoy, while the main body of the British army marched north to Kennett . . . — Map (db m94238) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-128 — Freedom Lost
By the late 1700s the institution of slavery was declining in Delaware. A changing economy and the active efforts of Quakers and Methodists had led to the manumission of many slaves and dramatic growth of the state’s free black population. Though . . . — Map (db m10950) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-A1 — Holy Trinity Church(Helica Irefaldighets Kyrka)
In 1638 a colony from Sweden landed at the Rocks nearby. There they built Fort Christina, worshiped therin until 1667 and then built a log church at Cranehook on South side of Christiana River. In 1698, inspired by their pastor, Eric Bjork, they . . . — Map (db m11014) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-82 — Howard High SchoolFirst Secondary School for Blacks in Delaware
Founded in 1867 by the Association for the Moral Improvement and Education of Colored People and named for Civil War General Oliver Otis Howard, the original school was located at 12th and Orange Streets. Pierre S. DuPont was the major benefactor . . . — Map (db m10914) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-152 — Shiloh Baptist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to 1875, when members of a Sunday School class affiliated with First Baptist Church met to plan the organization of a separate church to serve the needs of the city's African-American residents. Formally . . . — Map (db m13583) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — Spencer Plaza rain gardens are working to keep Wilmington's waterways clear!
Rain is natural, but our hard-surfaced buildings, sidewalks and streets create an unnatural amount of water runoff that can cause flooding and pollute our creeks and rivers. Engine fluids (gasoline, oils, etc.) from the streets, trash on the . . . — Map (db m92149)
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Absalom Jones1746-1818
Born near this place on a plantation known as “Cedar Town”, Jones moved to Philadelphia in 1762 and in 1784 purchased his freedom. He helped to establish the Free African Society in 1787. A leader of the independent African-American . . . — Map (db m38626) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-94 — Forty & Eight Boxcar
This car is one of 49 given to the American people by the citizens of France in thanks for aid rendered during and after World War II. Utilized for hauling military cargo during two world wars, they were known for their complement of “forty . . . — Map (db m38658) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-367 — Old Capitol of Florida
The first two sessions of the territorial legislature were held at St. Augustine and Pensacola. The hazards of traveling between cities 400 miles apart prompted legislators in 1824 to locate a new capital at Tallahassee, between the two cities. Log . . . — Map (db m100792) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Trinity United Methodist ChurchEstablished 1824
When the Territory of Florida was opened to settlers in 1822, after the Seminole Indians were moved to central Florida, circuit riders came from South Carolina to start a Methodist mission. In 1824, they began the first religious organization in . . . — Map (db m73054) HM
Georgia (Sumter County), Americus — How blocks are madeHabitat for Humanity
The Cinva-Ram Brick Press makes the kind of blocks used in many houses built by Habitat for Humanity. Bricks are made on the build site with locally available materials. Here's how it works: 1) A mixture of soil and cement is placed in the metal . . . — Map (db m73167) HM
Georgia (Sumter County), Americus — Welcome to Asia/PacificHabitat for Humanity
. . . — Map (db m73168) HM
Georgia (Sumter County), Plains — Walters Grocery Company
This section of the original Oliver McDonald Building was owned and operated by John and Katie Oliver as a grocery store in the 1930's and 40's. The store was sold to C.L. Walters, Jr. in 1943 and was renamed Walters Grocery Company. C.L. and his . . . — Map (db m73061) HM
Illinois (Adams County), Quincy — Warm, Sincere Friendship
Quincy's Orville Hickman Browning was Lincoln's friend, advisor, and confidant. According to historian David Donald, Lincoln considered Browning an old friend "whom he could absolutely trust. He knew the Illinois senator would never . . . — Map (db m58742) HM
Illinois (Cass County), Beardstown — Lincoln and Blackhawk
Abraham Lincoln and his men were among the 1,500 or so volunteers who had poured into Beardstown for basic military drills. These men had answered Gen. John Reynolds' call to drive Black Hawk and his people out of Illinois. The military . . . — Map (db m57689) HM
Illinois (Cass County), Beardstown — Site of Abraham Lincoln's SpeechAug. 12, 1858
"A house divided cannot stand." — Map (db m57860) HM
Illinois (Hancock County), Carthage — The "Old Jail"
In the old Carthage jail which stands one block south of here, Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Prophet and Patriarch of the Mormon Church were killed by a mob on June 27, 1844. Two years later the Mormons withdrew from Illinois, where they had settled in . . . — Map (db m57872) HM
Illinois (Macon County), Decatur — Dedicated to All Veterans
Who so gallantly served that all people might walk this earth free and equal. — Map (db m56881) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — Miller-Davis BuildingBuilt 1843 — Restored 1981
A National Register of Historic Places Site

Here, in the 1840s attorneys of the old Eighth Judicial Circuit would gather. In the upper rooms Abraham Lincoln, David Davis, Asahel Gridley and others forged their ideals which fifteen years later were . . . — Map (db m57453) HM

Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — Risk of the RoadBloody 66 and Insurance
Illinois Route 66 was dangerous. Curves, crossroads, and bridge abutments doomed many speeding motorists, giving rise to the nickname, "Bloody 66." After World War II, curves were straightened, towns bypassed, and four lanes built to improve . . . — Map (db m57555) HM
Illinois (McLean County), Bloomington — The Phoenix Block
"Herewith is a little sketch...there is not much of it...I suppose, that there is not much of me." Lincoln thus fulfilled Jesse Fell's 1858 request for an autobiography. Catching Lincoln as he emerged from the courthouse, Fell invited . . . — Map (db m57553) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Allen Miller House
Allen and Clarissa Miller had their house built shortly after purchasing this double lot in 1855 for $650. They and their three young children shared the house with Clarissa's brother, James Keys, and his wife. At the time, Miller was a prosperous . . . — Map (db m48368) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Illinois State Military Museum
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m57342) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Lincoln the Leader
During four years as President, Abraham Lincoln spent much of his time among the troops. They were important because they were the people who would get the job done. He frequented the War Department's telegraph office to stay abreast of . . . — Map (db m57340) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Lincoln-Era Fire Companies
Lincoln's Springfield was vulnerable to fire, Crowded wood-frame buildings, open flames in stoves, fireplaces, candles, and primitive gas lighting ineffective alarms, muddy streets, and inadequate water supplies---all combined to make . . . — Map (db m57167) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — Temporary Tombs
Oak Ridge Cemetery's public vault, located at the base of the hill behind the Lincoln tomb, received the bodies of Abraham Lincoln and his son William on May 4, 1865. It would be some time before a permanent burial place would be prepared so the . . . — Map (db m49004) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — The Children's Lincoln
Neighbor girl Josie Remann (left)was a favorite of Lincoln's. Once, on finding her in tears in front of her house, Lincoln ran all the way to the train station with her trunk on his shoulders because a carriage driver failed to come for it on . . . — Map (db m48548) HM
Illinois (Sangamon County), Springfield — The Lincoln Boys in 1854
The Springfield "urban" environment that shaped the childhood of the Lincoln boys was a far cry from the "backwoods wilderness" their father knew as a child. "Pay schools" and academies, railroad trains and fancy carriages, circuses and Sunday . . . — Map (db m48575) HM
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — Friends Meetinghouse
The Hoover family worshipped in this building along with neighbors and relatives who were members of the Religious Society of Friends, or Quakers as they are often called. West Branch was predominately a Quaker community in the 1850's when this . . . — Map (db m48312) HM
Iowa (Polk County), Des Moines — William Boyd Allison
United States Senator MDCCCXXIX • MCMVIII for forty-three years A member of Congress from Iowa Oldest in service Wisest in council A friend of all — Map (db m48275) HM
Maine (Cumberland County), Cape Elizabeth — Portland Head Light
Since its commission by George Washington in 1790, Portland Head Light remains an enduring symbol of the rugged, solid characteristics of a magnificent coastline and proud people weathering the challenges of nature and time. In observance of Greater . . . — Map (db m41841) HM
Maine (Hancock County), Bar Harbor — Thunder Hole
Here you can witness an ageless battle - the surging power of the ocean vs. the steadfastness of rock. Thunder Hole (just below) is a large, partly submerged crevice with vertical granite walls, one of many such chasms along this shore. When waves . . . — Map (db m25486) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Famous Personalities at Fort Cumberland — Fort Cumberland Trail
Horatio Sharpe Lived: 1718-1790. Here as Governor of Maryland and the commander of the fort. Fort Frederick was built by his direction. Governor: 1753-1769. Sharpsburg, Md., was named in his honor. Daniel Boone Lived: 1734-1820. Here as a . . . — Map (db m17681) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — The Fort Proper — Fort Cumberland Trail
The fort proper was the bastioned work at the west end of the fort. It was to your left (primarily on the site of the Church of Christ Scientist). Besides the four bastions (b) and the joining walls, there were four buildings for provisions (6), two . . . — Map (db m17679) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Where the Road BeganThe Historic National Road - The Road That Built the Nation
You are standing at the starting point of this country's first federal road building project, the National Road. A vision of George Washington as a means to develop the continent and to unite the country, his idea was championed by Thomas Jefferson . . . — Map (db m17716) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Bon Secours Hospital
Congregation of the Sisters of Bon Secours, a nursing order founded in France in 1824, sent three members to Baltimore in May, 1881, at the request of Cardinal Gibbons. Their first U. S. convent opened at West Baltimore and Payson Streets the . . . — Map (db m2451) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Camp CarrollFrom Plantation to Federal Camp
This land was part of a 2,568-acre tract named Georgia Plantation, that Charles Carroll purchased in 1732. By 1760, his son Charles Carroll, a lawyer, had constructed a Georgian summer home, Mount Clare. the Carroll family lived here until 1852. . . . — Map (db m2537) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Park
Baltimore’s Park Commission purchased portions of the Mount Clare estate between 1890 and 1907 to provide a large landscaped park for the city’s southwestern neighborhoods. The Olmsted Brothers firm helped the city develop plans to protect the . . . — Map (db m41430) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Evergreen on the FallsNational Register of Historic Places
Surveyed for John Walsh in 1754, large square cupola once crowned brick mansion. Built in Italianate style c.1860 by Henry Snyder. Leased after 1864 to James Hooper, owner of Meadow Mill. Estate was sold in 1870 to David Carroll, co-owner of Mount . . . — Map (db m2520) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Fort McHenry
1814 - 1914 1776 Whetstone Point shore battery 1794 Star Fort begun. Later named for Washington’s Secretary of War 1795 Reservation partly acquired by the United States 1814 Gallant defence during British . . . — Map (db m2569) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Katyn Remembered
When duty called they answered. When they refused the embrace of Stalin—they died. Now we commend them to the ages to be included amongst history’s martyrs. In 1939, the Soviet Union in league with Nazi Germany attacked Poland . . . — Map (db m2422) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Sailors Fighting SailorsU.S. Chesapeake Flotilla vs. Royal Navy
Sailors provided the backbone of Baltimore’s defense during the War of 1812. A strong detachment of U.S. Navy seamen defended trenches on the outskirts of the city while members of the U.S. Chesapeake Flotilla served Fort McHenry’s largest cannons . . . — Map (db m2588) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Site of Poe’s Death
This structure, now the east building of Church Hospital, was erected in 1836, to house the Washington Medical College. Edgar Allan Poe, author, and poet, was brought here, ill and semi-conscious, on October 3, 1849 and died four days later. In . . . — Map (db m2426) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Commodore Joshua Barney1759–1818
Born in Baltimore, Barney at an early age moved with his family to a nearby farm on Bear Creek in the Patapsco Neck section of the County. When only 12 he went to sea. In the War for Independence he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant on the . . . — Map (db m2120) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Glen Arm — Gunpowder Copper Works1804 - 1883
Levi Hollingsworth built a mill here to roll and fabricate refined blocks of copper that were shipped to Baltimore from Wales and hauled to the mill by oxcart. The copper used for the roofing of the original dome of the Capitol was rolled and . . . — Map (db m21523) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Kingsville — Ishmael Day’s House
When one of Harry Gilmor’s Confederate Cavalrymen (on July 11, 1864) pulled down his Union Flag, Day shot him and then escaped to the woods. They burned his house and barn. — Map (db m1927) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Sater’s Church
1742. Pioneer of the Maryland Baptist denomination. Only eternity, interpeted by God, can make known the moral, mental and spiritual work of the “Mother Church” of the Baptists of Maryland. Founded by Henry Sater 1690–1754. . . . — Map (db m2278) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Saters Church1742
On land granted by the Fifth Lord Baltimore, Henry Sater, gentleman planter, founded this first church of Baptists in Maryland. To the congregation he deeded a plot and chapel “forever to the end of the world.” — Map (db m2276) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Monkton — Clynmalira5000 Acres
Surveyed April, 1705 for Charles Carroll, Lord Baltimore’s Attorney-General of his Province of Maryland 1688. In 1822 Henry Carroll, Great-great Grandson of Charles Carroll built Clynmalira house. — Map (db m49267) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Owings Mills — In Memory of William Maxwell Wood, MD
Surgeon General United States Navy, born in Baltimore, Maryland May 21, 1809 and died at Owings Mills, Maryland March 1, 1880. He served his country well. And in memory of Rosemary Carson, his wife, born in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania November 9, . . . — Map (db m2071) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Pikesville — The Garrison Fort
Built about 1695 as headquarters for a troop of mounted rangers to patrol paths from the Patapsco to the Susquehanna as a protection against hostile Indians. It was nine miles from nearest white inhabitants when built. — Map (db m2265) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Upperco — St. Paul’s Lutheran Church (LCA)
Believed to be the oldest existing Lutheran Congregation in Baltimore County. It was begun as a Union Church in the early 1700’s. The reformed congregation worshiping in the same building. The first recorded communion was in 1794. The first house of . . . — Map (db m2058) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — On this spot Sept. 5, 1938 stood Franklin Delano Roosevelt
"It is the privilege of some of us to dream dreams, and some of us to carry out the dreams of others" — Map (db m3541) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Greensboro — Goldsborough House
Judge Laird Goldsborough lived here 1897-1970. As onetime Adjutant General of the Philippines he authored the Island's first constitution. Part of the house is of pre-revolutionary construction. Among other members of this Caroline County family . . . — Map (db m3394) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Site of Frazier’s ChapelPreston, Maryland, 1785
Built by Rev. Freeborn Garrettson and Captain William Frazier. Early Methodist pastors included Jesse Lee, Joseph Everette and Bishops Francis Asbury and John Emory. Remodeled and named Bethesda 1849. Present church built 1875. Rebuilt 1958. — Map (db m3362) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Hampstead — Hampstead District
In memory and grateful appreciation of our heros. 1917 World War I 1918 (list of names) 1941 World War II 1945 (list of names)Map (db m2988) WM
Maryland (Carroll County), Union Mills — Gettysburg CampaignInvasion and Retreat
After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through . . . — Map (db m2994) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B206 — Capt. Colmary-Salmon HouseC. 1848
This home is architecturally important as it is one of two mid 19th century dwellings with Greek Revival overtones. These buildings being two rooms deep were pace setters for other buildings in town. Captain Abraham Colmary built this house in 1848 . . . — Map (db m33578) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — St. Augustine’s Church
First called “Mannour Chappel” a chapel of ease of North Sassafras Parish. Established in Bohemia Manor in compliance with an act of the Maryland Assembly, 1692. Erected as a separate parish in 1744. — Map (db m1565) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G327 — Stubbs-Caldwell HouseC. 1874
Built by Richard B. stubbs, this is one of the few buildings which have gables attached to the facade, giving it a Victorian Gothic element. The one story angled porch follows the configuration of the facade and bay window, creating a semi-octagonal . . . — Map (db m33571) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — World War I Monument
This tablet is dedicated by the people of Chesapeake City and the Second Election District of Cecil County, Maryland To those of their number who offered their lives in defense of humanity in the Great War of Nations 1914 - 1918 Roll of Honor Lest . . . — Map (db m33585) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — Richards Oak
General Lafayette and his army camped arount this tree April 12, 1781. A Civil War cavalry unit later occupied the site. The oak, over 500 years old was owned by the Thomas Richards family for over a century. A huge limb fell August 1964, splitting . . . — Map (db m1758) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — North Sassafras Parish(Episcopal)
Established by Act of Assembly in 1692. The first vestry met January 10, 1693 in the Court House at Ordinary Point. The Parish Church was “dedicated to the honor of Saint Stephen”, March 25, 1706. Rebuilt 1737, 1823 and 1873. — Map (db m1701) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — “New Munster”
A tract of 6,000 acres laid out in 1683 by George Talbot (then surveyor-general of Maryland for Edwin O’Dwire and 15 other Irishmen. Its northern boundary extended into what is now the State of Pennsylvania. — Map (db m1763) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Blue Ball Tavern
Established about 1710 on Lot No. 35 of “The Nottingham Lots” by Andrew Job who secured it from William Penn. Job’s son, Thomas married Elizabeth Maxwell, niece of Daniel Defoe who wrote “Robinson Crusoe.” — Map (db m1765) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Elkton, Wedding Capital of the East
In the early 20th century, Maryland had no waiting period for issuing marriage licenses, and couples from throughout the Northeast flocked to Elkton—the first county seat south of the State line—where they could be married without delay. . . . — Map (db m1935) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Holly Hall
Built c. 1810–1820 by James Sewall. He was Clerk of Cecil County Court 1805–1841; Brigade Major of Maryland Militia and a Commander at nearby Fort Defiance in War of 1812; one of founders of Trinity Episcopal Church, Elkton in 1832. — Map (db m1478) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Old Post RoadEstablished 1666
Where it crosses the Mason and Dixon Line, dividing the States of Maryland and Delaware. Run 1763–1767. — Map (db m1645) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Site of Fort Hollingsworth
About three tenths mile south at Elk Landing, American forces here and at Fort Defiance, about one mile below on Elk River, repulsed the British under Admiral Cockburn in their attempt to capture Elkton, April 29, 1813. — Map (db m2228) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Fredericktown — Sassafras River
Discovered and explored by Capt. John Smith 1607–1609 who named it Tockwough River after the tribe of Indians who inhabited its banks. Tockwough was the original Indian name for Sassafras, a root from which they made a form of bread. — Map (db m1695) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Snow’s Battery
On August 30, 1861 Battery B of the Union Army under the command of Capt. Alonzo Snow was organized at Port Deposit, composed mainly of men from this town and vicinity. The Battery rendered important service to the Federal forces in the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m1769) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Warwick — “Worsell Mannor”1000 Acres
Patented 5th June, 1685, to Major Peter Sayer, a prominent Catholic. Later acquired by the Heath Family. On 14th May, 1773, George Washington “din’d and lodg’d at Mr. DL. Heath’s” taking his stepson Jackie Custis to King’s College, N.Y. . . . — Map (db m65392) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Woolford — Walk the Old Trinity Heritage TrailHeritage Trail & Sacred Grounds.
Dorchester Parish c. 1675-1690 Built by English colonists on land patented in 1675 to Henry Aldridge, a former indentured servant, Old Trinity Church is one of the oldest church buildings in the United States still used for regular worship. . . . — Map (db m97216) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Aberdeen — ENIAC
The first large-scale, general-purpose electronic digital computer, ENIAC (electronic numerical integrator and computer) was delivered to the U.S. Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory (BRL), Aberdeen Proving Ground, in 1947. Built by . . . — Map (db m5434) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Old Post Road: Cokesbury College
Old Post Road Established 1666. The first Methodist college in the world established at Abingdon June 5, 1785 by Bishops Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury. Destroyed by fire December 4, 1796, located 175 yards east of this point. — Map (db m1233) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — MA & PA Heritage Trail
The History of the MA & PA Trail The MA & PA Railroad stretched between Baltimore at North Avenue & Howard Streets, on to Towson, through Long Green Valley into Harford County. It ended at Market Street in York, Pennsylvania. Even by the . . . — Map (db m104553) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Saint Ignatius ChurchHickory, Maryland
Oldest Roman Catholic Church in continuous use in the Archdiocese of Baltimore. Completed in 1792 by Sylvester Boarman, S.J., while in charge of the nearby Jesuit Mansion of St. Joseph at Priest’s Ford. Early pastors of the church served Charles . . . — Map (db m1254) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Bel Air — Tudor Hall
The home of the noted actor Junius Brutus Booth, the elder. Birthplace of his children. His son Edwin Booth was born here November 13, 1833. — Map (db m1216) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Churchville — Calvary United Methodist Church
Established in 1821 by Richard Webster and in continuous use, the Calvary United Methodist Church is a rare example of an early Methodist Meeting House. It is constructed of stone from a local quarry and retains its original floor plan, including a . . . — Map (db m1490) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Darlington — Conowingo
An Indian name meaning “at the falls.” Captain John Smith ascended the Susquehanna River in 1608, to the head of tidewater. He named the first rapids “Smiths Falls.” — Map (db m1240) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rock Run Landing
Part of “Land of Promise” tract. Original mill (1760), present grist mill (1794), first Susquehanna River Bridge (1818) and Barge Canal (1839) made through this hamlet a thriving commercial center. Surviving are Miller’s House, the Mill, . . . — Map (db m1241) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rock Run Mill
The Rock Run Mill was built in 1794 by John Stump, a prominent businessman, on land originally known as “Land of Promise.” The mill was in continuous operation until 1954. It is one of the oldest mills still standing in Harford County. . . . — Map (db m1295) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Lock House
The Lock House is located at the southern terminus of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal, which operated from 1840-1897. The canal was pivotal in the development of the Lower Susquehanna River Valley. It connected with the Pennsylvania Canal at . . . — Map (db m1492) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Monkton — Ladew Topiary Gardensand Pleasant Valley House
Henry Scarff acquired land here about 1747 and soon built a four-room house. Descendants added the three story center section by 1849. Harvey S. Ladew bought the house and property known as Pleasant Valley Farm from a Scarff descendant in 1929. . . . — Map (db m1522) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Edesville — Martin Wagner1899–1980
Master Machinist and Blacksmith, he was the third generation of his family to devote his life to work with forge, torch and anvil on this site. The Wagner Blacksmith and Machinery Repair Shop began serving the residents of Kent County in the 1850s. . . . — Map (db m3071) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Rock Hall — Wickliffe
Major Joseph Wickes, who settled on Eastern Neck Island c. 1658, was Chief Justice of Kent County. Before 1674 the Court met at Wickliffe, his home here (no longer standing). By 1680 he had acquired 864 acres, the southern half of the island, which . . . — Map (db m3076) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Turner's Creek Landing — Natural Diversity at Turner's Creek
More than 3,600 species of plants, fish and wildlife live in the Chesapeake Bay region. the Sassafras River and Turner's Creek - tributaries of the Bay - provide food and shelter for great blue herons, osprey, otters, beaver, largmouth bass and . . . — Map (db m64356) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Wright’s Chance
Early plantation house with original paneling. Listed as an “old dwelling” in a 1744 resurvey of “Smith’s Forrest,” patented 1681. Moved 1964 by the Queen Anne’s County Historical Society to present site, part of . . . — Map (db m3107) HM
Maryland (Somerset County), Westover — Rehoboth Presbyterian Church
Here in 1683 Reverend Francis Makemie began his ministry and in 1706 built this church Ruins of Coventry Episcopal ChurchMap (db m3880) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — Swindler Park
This park is dedicated to the memory of Leland Stanford Swindler Brigadier General USMC Born 1893 - Died 1993 Soldier, sailor and marine he entered the service in 1912, served in WWI, the China Campaign, WWII and the Korean War. He was decorated . . . — Map (db m3780) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — Benjamin Franklin1706 - 1790
Printer, Scientist, Philanthropist, Diplomat and Statesman A Man of Towering Eminence As Publisher of Poor Richard's Almanac he provided America in its upbuilding with a practical Philosophy and enriched its common speech with a wealth of . . . — Map (db m101423) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — John Winthrop / Nicholas Upsall / Cotton Mather / John Hull
John Winthrop 1588 - 1649 In the early autumn of 1630, Winthrop and his company landed at the foot of Prince Street from Charleston. Thus was begun the settlement of Boston. The spirit of Winthrop is forever a challenge to America: "To avoid . . . — Map (db m76619) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Boston — King's Chapel and Beyond
Around 1750, the present, stone version of King's Chapel replaced the wooden structure of 1688. King James II had ordered the wooden chapel built. It was the first Anglican church in Boston, erected on the old burying ground over strong Puritan . . . — Map (db m76637) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — L790A — Central United Methodist Church
The first recorded Methodist meeting in Lansing was held in 1845 when the Reverend Lewis Coburn preached in the log cabin of Joab Page of North Lansing. In 1850 a Methodist class (congregation) was formed in what is now central Lansing. Its first . . . — Map (db m103630) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Lansing — First Regiment Michigan Engineers
Rendezvoused at Camp Owen, Marshall, Michigan Mustered October 29, 1861 Regimental Organization twelve companies 150 men each Total enrollment during war 2920 men Served in Thbe Army of the Ohio, Army of the Cumberland, Army of the Tennessee Engaged . . . — Map (db m99956) WM
Michigan (Kent County), Grand Rapids — L2031 — Central High School
Side A The first Central High School opened in a stone building three blocks to the west. The state legislature instituted high school grading in 1859, and the first Central High School graduation was held in 1862. Two successively larger . . . — Map (db m99990) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wyandotte — Wyandotte World War I Memorial
Erected by the Citizens of Wyandotte in Memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great World War 1914 - 1918 Edward C. Headman • Oscar H. Pietraschke • Herbert E. Czaddach • Boleslaw Gutowski • Samuel J. Frankhouse • Joseph A. . . . — Map (db m66345) WM
Missouri (Marion County), Hannibal — Henry Collins Building
One of the first stores in Hannibal was opened by Henry Collins in a log cabin on this site. In 1839 he advertised "Country produce taken in exchange for goods." In 1851 Leer & Arrogast had a wholesale and retail tobacco store here and the printing . . . — Map (db m58828) HM
Missouri (Marion County), Hannibal — New Cash StoreFeb. 27, 1839
W. C. Chenowith begs leave to announce to the citizens of Hannibal that he is now opening in this house a new & splendid assortment of goods. By 1852, this was the "Baltimore Cheap Cash Store." In the 1880'2 the building was remodeled by installing . . . — Map (db m58827) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free LandNew Hampshire's Liberty Bell Replica
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of New Hampshire by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive . . . — Map (db m76426) HM
New Hampshire (Rockingham County), Portsmouth — Treaty of Portsmouth 1905
September 5, 1905 - A day now commemorated statewide as Portsmouth Peace Treaty Day - marks the signing of the Portsmouth Peace Treaty at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. The Treaty brought to a close the first great war of the twentieth century, . . . — Map (db m76455) HM
North Dakota (Burleigh County), Bismarck — Combat Wounded VeteransMilitary Order of the Purple Heart — 1782 - 1932
Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars.

My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country's way to show they care if I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — Map (db m44704) HM

North Dakota (Burleigh County), Bismarck — Sakakawea Statue
Sakakawea Sakakawea has become a recognized name as part of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Although her name is famous, few facts remain to document her life and contributions to the voyage. When Lewis and Clark met Sakakawea in 1804 she was . . . — Map (db m43838) HM
North Dakota (Cass County), Fargo — Gasoline Horsepower
When autos appeared in the 1890s, only the wealthy could afford to buy them. But by the 1920s assembly lines made cars affordable for the middle class, and sales soared. At the end of the decade there were 25 million cars on the road and U.S. . . . — Map (db m100837) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant
Schmidt's Sausage Haus has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m56874) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Oxford — Hopewell Historic District
A borough from 1853 to 1914, Hopewell was a laboratory for progressive farming, milling, and educational practices. Samuel Dickey (1769-1835) was an agricultural innovator, and the Dickeys pioneered in establishing area schools. The family, spurred . . . — Map (db m8131) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Chester County
One of Pennsylvania's three original counties, formed 1682 by William Penn. Name derived from Cheshire in England. West Chester, the county seat since 1788, was incorporated in 1799. County was the scene of important military activities in 1777-1778. — Map (db m50505) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Great Minquas Path
An important Indian trail, key to Pennsylvania's fur trade in the 17th century, crossed the present highway near here. It linked trading posts on the lower Schuylkill and Indian towns to the west. The Dutch, Swedes, and English fought one another . . . — Map (db m40994) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Old Main Arch Memorial
Old Main Building, constructed in 1871, served as the principal dormitory and classroom facility for the West Chester Teacher's Normal School. In 1971, faced with prohibitive costs of a facility upgrade, Old Main was torn down by the PA Dept of . . . — Map (db m8136) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Woman's Rights Convention of 1852
The first Woman's Rights Convention in Pennsylvania was held here, June 2-3, 1852, four years after the famous Seneca Falls, New York, Convention. It adopted resolutions promoting the legal, educational and vocational rights of women. — Map (db m8149) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Dickinson School of Law
Oldest law school in Pennsylvania; founded in 1834 by the Honorable John Reed, eminent jurist, and author of "Pennsylvania Blackstone." Andrew Curtin, Civil War Governor, was one of earliest graduates. — Map (db m30320) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — First Presbyterian ChurchMeeting House on the Square
Many of the early settlers of Pennsylvania were Scots-Irish who brought with them their Presbyterian faith. By the early 1730's they were settling the Cumberland Valley, including the fertile land near the Conodoguinet Creek. In 1734, Presbyterians . . . — Map (db m30296) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Federal Square
One block northeast of Harrisburg's Market Square is located a place that became known by the end of the 19th century as Federal Square, the block bounded by N. Third, Locust, Court and Walnut Streets. Since 1877, this block has been the site of the . . . — Map (db m6695) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Firefighters' Memorial Monument
This statue, plaza and site perpetually commemorates the past and present dedication, skill and contributions of the men and women of the fires service of the City of Harrisburg and of this Commonwealth and Nation. Forever shall this site . . . — Map (db m6283) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Governor's Residence
This is the present home of the Governor of Pennsylvania. It was completed in 1968 and is the third official executive mansion located in Harrisburg. — Map (db m6245) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Grace United Methodist Church
This church, built between 1873 and 1878, can be said to have saved Harrisburg from losing its status as the Capital of Pennsylvania. Since 1809, efforts were made to return the Capital from its temporary location at Lancaster to Philadelphia where . . . — Map (db m6727) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Harrisburg Hospital
Harrisburg Hospital, the city's first public hospital, opened in the former South Ward School building in 1873, beginning a course that today makes Harrisburg a major health and research center. The school faced Mulberry Street (now vacated) which . . . — Map (db m6600) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris' Gift
In 1785, the founder of Harrisburg set aside a four-acre lot, now this section of Capitol Park, to be held in trust for the use of the State. The Legislature accepted the gift, 1810, when it voted to make this city the capital. — Map (db m6713) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — John Harris Mansion
Built by John Harris Jr., founder of Harrisburg, in 1764-66. It was Simon Cameron's home, 1863-89, and many famous people visited there. It is now home of the Dauphin County Historical Society. — Map (db m6598) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Brick Capitol
The first State Capitol on this site was designed and built by Stephen Hills, 1819-1821. It was first occupied by the Legislature on January 2, 1822, and was used until destroyed by fire, February 2, 1897. — Map (db m6768) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Dauphin County Courthouses
Two Dauphin County Courthouses occupied this site at the intersection of Market St. and what was originally known as Raspberry Street, later appropriately renamed Court Street. John Harris, Jr.'s original plan for Harrisburg set aside this land for . . . — Map (db m6652) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Salem Church
Standing on land granted for religious purposes in 1785 by John Harris, this church was erected, 1822. It replaced one built of logs in 1787, the first church structure in present-day Harrisburg. — Map (db m6570) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Paxtang Manor
A tract of 1272 acres, now this part of Harrisburg, was first surveyed in 1732 for Thomas Penn, and was known as Paxtang Manor. It was sold, 1760, to three colonial settlers; Thomas Simpson, Thomas Forster, Thomas McKee. — Map (db m6277) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Pennsylvania Farm Show
First held in January 1917, the Farm Show took place each year at various Harrisburg locations until 1931, when it moved to the new Main Exhibition Building here. The Large Arena first opened for the 1939 show. From modest beginnings, the Farm Show . . . — Map (db m6252) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — The John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel Memorial
In memory of U.S. Congressman John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel for their many years of service and dedication to the community. — Map (db m6300) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Hershey — The Homestead
Milton S. Hershey was born here on September 13, 1857. The house was built by his great-grandfather, Isaac Hershey, in 1826. Milton S. Hershey purchased The Homestead in 1897 and lived there with his wife Catherine from 1905 to 1908. The building . . . — Map (db m7138) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Burd Tombs
Col. James Burd of "Tinian", able and gallant officer in the colonial wars, author of the Middletown Resolves for Independence, June 1774, and wife, Sarah Shippen, lie buried near the entrance of Middletown Cemetery. — Map (db m7163) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Middletown — Union Canal
This canal was operated from 1828-1884. It connected the Susquehanna at Middletown with the Schuylkill at Reading, following the Swatara and Tulpehocken Creeks. Much coal and iron ore were transported. Course of canal was just west of old mill race. — Map (db m7166) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Chester — Christofer ColumbusThe Great Navigator
Whose first act upon landing in the New World, on October 12, 1492 was to give thanks to God for safe deliverance. Presented to the City of Chester in the year of our Lord 1955 by the Italian-American Associations and citizens of Chester and . . . — Map (db m14783) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — Marcus Hook
First port of call for Philadelphia shipping. First settled by Swedes, it was named by the Dutch, 1655-64, Marreties Hoeck. — Map (db m14973) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Margaret Cochran Corbin
Heroine of the Revolution; born Nov. 12, 1751, near Rocky Spring, 1 1/2 miles to NW. Accompanied her husband to war. Manned a cannon, Fort Washington, N.Y., Nov. 16, 1776, when he was killed. She was wounded, pensioned, and assigned to Invalid Regt. . . . — Map (db m8106) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Martin Delany(1812 - 1885)
Delany was an influential abolitionist, civil rights activist, Army officer, and prominent physician. The son of an enslaved father and free mother received his education in Chambersburg. He went on to publish and anti-slavery newspaper, "The . . . — Map (db m8102) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Jubal Early's Confederate troops occupied Waynesboro June 23, 1863. Next day they marched by Mont Alto to Greenwood, or Black Gap, where, June 25, they were ordered by Gen. Ewell to march to York. — Map (db m8002) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Bainbridge — Conoy Indian Town
From about 1718-1743, the Conoy Indian Tribe had its settlement slightly to the west of here. Closely related to the Nanticoke Tribe, with whom they eventually merged, the Conoy Indians gradually migrated into Pennsylvania from the area of . . . — Map (db m5759) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Christiana — The Christiana Riot
The 1850 federal Fugitive Slave Act strengthened the position of slave-owners seeking to capture runaways. Pursuing four escaped slaves, Maryland farmer Edward Gorsuch arrived Sept. 11, 1851, at the Christiana home of William Parker, an African . . . — Map (db m5715) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Conestoga — Conestoga Indian Town
The Conestoga Indians lived in scattered settlements along this stream. They were the last of the once mighty Susquehannocks. Their final location was the Conestoga Indian Town which was along the road leading to Creswell. William Penn visited the . . . — Map (db m5766) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Bailey's Printshop
Francis Bailey, official printer to both the U.S. Congress and the Commonwealth, operated a printing office on this site from 1773 to 1780. Here, he produced many historic imprints including Thomas Paine's "Crisis No. 4." — Map (db m5159) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Historic Site in Journalism
Lancaster Newspapers, published on this site of Francis Bailey's colonial printshop, trace their roots to the Lancaster Journal of 1794. the Journal was published and edited by William Hamilton and Henry Willcocks. It merged with the Intelligencer, . . . — Map (db m5160) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Isaac Long Barn
The United Brethren in Christ, and the Evangelical United Brethren Church, trace their origin to the joint efforts of Rev. Philip w. Otterbein of the German Reformed Church and Martin Boehm, a Mennonite preacher, as a revival held here about 1767. . . . — Map (db m8267) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Old Courthouse
In 1739, the small brick courthouse of old Lancaster, one of the first in America, was completed. The two story courthouse was constructed in the center of the square and provided a courtroom on the first floor, and a council chamber and small . . . — Map (db m5134) HM
Pennsylvania (Northumberland County), McEwensville — Fort Freeland
Jacob Freeland's house was stockaded in 1778 as a protection against Indians. On July 29, 1779 it was taken by British and Indians. The garrison of 21 were killed or taken prisoner. The site is a quarter-mile from here. — Map (db m87576) HM
Pennsylvania (Northumberland County), Milton — Welcome to Lincoln ParkThe History of Lincoln Park
The first settler of Milton was Marcus Huling, who established a tavern in 1772 along the Susquehanna River at this location, which is now Lincoln Park. The British and Seneca Indians stormed and burned the famed Fort Freeland located north of . . . — Map (db m87626) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Benjamin Franklin(1706 - 1790)
Printer, author, inventor, diplomat, philanthropist statesman, and scientist. The eighteenth century's most illustrious Pennsylvanian built a house in Franklin Court starting in 1763, and here he lived the last five years of his life. — Map (db m9535) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Carpenters' Hall
. . . for the purpose of obtaining instruction in the science of architecture and assisting such of their members as should by accident be in need of support, or the widows and minor children of members . . . By-laws of the Carpenters' . . . — Map (db m9653) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Independence Hall
No stranger ever comes to Philadelphia without paying a visit to this structure, and no public edifice exists among us, which is cherished so warmly in the feelings of the citizens. Views of Philadelphia, 1838 The building in front of you . . . — Map (db m61097) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Library of the American Philosophical Society
Held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge begun by Benjamin Franklin 1743 reorganized under its present name 1769 — Map (db m9225) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Penn's Plan
William Penn learned many lessons in life. Living in 17th century England taught him that open space offered breathing places for great cities and also slowed the spread of fire. He applied what he had learned to Philadelphia. He insisted on a site . . . — Map (db m9028) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Pierce Butler
. . . — Map (db m9353) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — The Bait BoxBuilt: 1923-1926
Original Use: Built as a playhouse for Gifford and Cornelia Pinchot's only child, Gifford Bryce Pinchot, the Bait Box is a stone and frame structure that, in later years, served as a tea room for Cornelia. Named for the family's love of . . . — Map (db m76376) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — The Letter BoxBuilt 1926-1927
Original Use: When Governor Pinchot worked in residence, the Letter Box housed his clerical staff. Other political activities, such as the planning of campaign and meeting with constituents, took place in this building, thus isolating the . . . — Map (db m76375) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Wyoming-Minisink Path
Here an important Indian trail connecting the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers ascended Indian Point to Powwow Hill. the path was used by Delaware Indians in their migration to the Wyoming Valley, and later by Connecticut settlers. — Map (db m76380) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Hanover — Culture and Entertainment
Hanover's rich cultural history has included numerous bands, orchestras, drama organizations, and other musical groups. The Hanover Opera House no longer exists, but presented plays and concerts starting in 1887, eventually becoming a movie house. . . . — Map (db m5060) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Hanover — Gettysburg Campaign
On June 30, 1863, General J. Kilpatrick's Union Cavalry, hunting Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry, were attacked here by Stuart. Repulsed, Stuart tried to join early; finding him gone, he marched to Carlisle, failing to reach Gettysburg until July 2. — Map (db m5016) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Hanover — Mason-Dixon Line
The historic boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland was surveyed, 1763–1767, by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon to settle border disputes between the two Provinces. This section of the Mason-Dixon Line was first surveyed in late July and . . . — Map (db m2990) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Hanover — The Winebrenner House
"We had better go down stairs; we are in danger here," Mrs. Henry Winebrenner said to her daughter, Martha, after seeing the flash and hearing the roar from Confederate artillery. - The Evening Herald, January 25, 1904 Confederate . . . — Map (db m8653) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Mount Wolf — Codorus Furnace
Erected in 1765 by William Bennet. Operated by James Smith, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, during the Revolutionary War. It is the oldest remaining landmark of the iron industry in York County. The old furnace, now restored, is 2.5 . . . — Map (db m5862) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Seven Valleys — York Iron Company Mine
Site of the last visible remains of an industry that had a major impact on SW York County. This mine opened in 1854 "the year iron ore was first discovered nearby" and was later purchased by York Iron. At the industry's height, 15 mines were in . . . — Map (db m5870) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Wrightsville — Susquehanna River Water Trail
Lower Section - York Haven to Safe Harbor PFBC Wrightsville Access The Susquehanna River is an American treasure reflecting the places and people of the Pennsylvania heartland. Enjoy your trip on the Susquehanna River Water Trail - an . . . — Map (db m5079) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — "York House"
Built in 1860 by Charles Billmeyer, railroad car manufacturer. Noted for its hand-painted ceiling and exquisite interior ornamentation, building is outstanding example of mansion-type Victorian architecture. — Map (db m4594) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — Captain Michael Doudel's Company
Near this site, Captain Michael Doudel's company of York County riflemen mustered on July 24, 1775. Prior to their 600-mile journey to join General George Washington at the siege of Boston, Massachusetts. These frontier patriots were the first to . . . — Map (db m4579) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — Colonel Thomas Hartley
On this site was the house of Col. Thomas Hartley, first congressman from York County. In 1777, he was prominent in the defense of Philadelphia; led an expedition to avenge the wyoming Massacre in 1778. — Map (db m4566) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — Gen. Horatio Gates
This building was the residence of Gen. Gates in 1778. At that time he was President of Board of War. It was said that the "Conway Cabal" was thwarted here by Lafayette's loyalty to Washington. — Map (db m4573) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — In the Old Court House here at York
The French Alliance was ratified by the Continental Congress May 4, 1778. In the darkest period of the Revolutionary War it brought hope and joy to General Washington and the Continental Army at Valley Forge. the aid thus secured made possible . . . — Map (db m4577) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — James Smallwood Schoolhouse
Built in 1892, this school was part of a movement to create schools for the education of black students by black teachers, and is representative of the national struggle for equal education, regardless of race. Named in memory of James Smallwood, . . . — Map (db m4598) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — Lewis Miller 1796 - 1882
A carpenter by trade, Lewis Miller was a self-taught artist whose whimsical sketches capture the character and spirit of York. Miller created several hundred watercolor images that depict extraordinary events and everyday life in York County. . . . — Map (db m4562) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York — York Liberty Bell
Old bell originally hung in Provincial Courthouse; now in the vestibule of this church. Announced the signing of Declaration of Independence and sessions of Congress when it met in York. — Map (db m4591) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Herreid — You are about to enter South Dakota / You are now leaving South Dakota
You are about to enter South Dakota

Created with its twin, North Dakota, 2 November 1889, its 77,047 square miles ranks 15th in size. Those square miles include exceptional corn land in the SE, grass land in the W, wheat land in the N. and . . . — Map (db m44710) HM

South Dakota (Hughes County), Pierre — Combat Wounded Veterans
Top Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars.

Front My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country;s way to show they care if I could be seen by all mankind. Maybe peace will come in my . . . — Map (db m45285) HM

Vermont (Chittenden County), Richmond — The Citizens of Richmond
In Memoriam erected by The Citizens of Richmond in honor of her patriotic men and women who served their country in the World War 1917 - 1919 — Map (db m76390) WM
Virginia (Caroline County), Port Royal — Z-164 — Essex County / Caroline CountyArea 258 Square Miles / Area 529 Square Miles
Essex County. Area 258 square miles. Formed in 1691 from Old Rappahannock County, and named for Essex County, England. R.M.T. Hunter, United States Senator and Confederate Secretary of State, lived in this county. Caroline County. Area . . . — Map (db m7302) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester — Court House
County of Gloucester, VA. Re-erected 1766 on site of building destroyed by fire. Restored, remodeled and clerks office building added 1956. Carl M. Lindner & Son A.I.A. Architects, Richmond, Virginia Wray & Richardson, General Contractors, . . . — Map (db m7524) HM
Virginia (Northampton County), Eastville — WY-10 — Old Courthouse
The courthouse was moved to Eastville in 1677, and court has been held here ever since. The old courthouse was built about 1731; from its door the Declaration of Independence was read, August 13, 1776. Militia barracks were here during the . . . — Map (db m7587) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Bunker Hill — Christ Church
First Episcopal Church in West Virginia Established 1740 by Col. Morgan Morgan known as Morgan's Chapel Present building 1851 — Map (db m12848) HM
West Virginia (Greenbrier County), White Sulphur Springs — Kate's Mountain
Named for Kate Carpenter, whose husband, Nathan, was killed by the Indians. fine scenic view. Home of Kate's Mountain Clover and other rare plants, such as the Box Huckleberry, 6000 years old - the oldest living thing. — Map (db m19363) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — "Claymont Court"
Bushrod Corbin Washington, grandnephew of General George Washington, built this home in 1820. It was destroyed by fire, 1838, and rebuilt. Later it was the home of Frank R. Stockton, novelist, who here wrote his last book. (2 Mi. SW) — Map (db m12636) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Washington's Land
The "Bullskin" or Rock Hall Tract, the first land owned by George Washington in West Virginia, was surveyed by him Nov. 24, 1750. Bought from Captain Rutherford, it became a part of Washington's 2,233-acre tract in this area. — Map (db m12633) HM
West Virginia (Mineral County), Ridgley — Fort Sellers
On land Washington surveyed for Elias Sellers in 1748 stood this fort, important link in system of frontier defenses. It was garrisoned by an officer and thirty men and withstood several attacks by the Indians. — Map (db m19338) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Union Pacific RailroadPart 1 (1867 - 1890) / Part 2 (1869 - 1890)
Part 1 Side A The story of the Union Pacific Railroad is also a story of Wyoming and particularly Cheyenne. One cannot be told without the telling of the other. It is no exaggeration to say that Cheyenne, Fort D.A. Russell (now F.E. . . . — Map (db m47178) HM
Wyoming (Teton County), Jackson — The Jackson State Bank
was organized by Robert Miller in 1914 and was located on Crabtree Corner. Most of the initial capital of $10,000 was subscribed to by local citizens. Mr. Miller's nickname was "Old Twelve Percent" due to the high interest rate he charged.

Next . . . — Map (db m47071) HM


2244 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2044
Paid Advertisement