Les années 1920 ont vu plusieurs banques se regrouper à cet endroit de la ville. A l'angle sud-ouest de la rue Carnot, André narjoux, architecte du Crédit Lyonnais, a conçu pour l'agence de Reims (1923) une façade imposante, avec . . . — — Map (db m85697) HM
Architecte phare de l'Art nouveau, Hector Guimard a été choisi en 1899 pour dessiner les accès des stations.
Mais en 1900, lors de l'ouverture du métro, ses décoratives choquent les Parisiens. La graphie « Métropolitain » manque, dit-on, de . . . — — Map (db m85328) HM
Ce bâtiment, siège de la Préfecture de police, a été, le samedi 19 août 1944, le lieu du déclenchement de l'insurrection des Parisiens contre l'armée d'occupation allemande à l'initiative des mouvements de résistance de la police. Pendant plusieurs . . . — — Map (db m85028) HM
D'avant le période révolutionnaire, il ne subsiste qu'une seule cloche, le bourdon Emmanuel fondu en 1686 par Florentin Le Gay, toujours en dans la tour sud et que le public peut encore admirer.
Lors de la grande restauration de la cathédrale . . . — — Map (db m85325) HM
In commemoration of H.M.'s sailors and Royal Marines of the British Royal Navy who manned the landing ships and landing craft and lost their lives during the liberation of Europe in 1944.
"Lest we Forget" — — Map (db m88594) WM
Créé par Allan Beckett, cet élément faisait partie des routes flottantes qui reliaient les plateformes de déchargement au rivage.
Cette passerelle mesure 24.4 mètres de longueur et pèse 28 tonnes.
Les routes flottantes . . . — — Map (db m88597) HM
L’hôtel-Dieu était au Moyen Age, avec les léproseries des faubourgs, la principale institution destinée au soin des malades de Bayeux. Fondé au début du XIIIe siècle, il est implanté sur la rive nord de l’Aure comprenant outre de vastes . . . — — Map (db m88519) HM
L’ancienne résidence des évêques de Bayeux est un ensemble architectural complexe. Il se développe, depuis le Moyen Age, sur le flanc nord de la cathédrale autour d’une cour (1), d’un ancien cloître (2), et d’un jardin d’agrément (3).
La . . . — — Map (db m89162) HM
La fouille archéologique pratiquée dans ce secteur a permis de mettre au jour un bâtiment rectangulaire date des IXe-Xe siècles, situé perpendiculairement au rempart et utilisant ce dernier comme pignon à l’est. Etudié sur . . . — — Map (db m89005) HM
A la mémoire de
qui inventa a Honfleur
l'hélice a propulsion
et en fit
les premiers essais
dans le vieux bassin
In memory of Frederic Sauvage who, in Honfleur, invented . . . — — Map (db m85694) HM
A l’occasion de la réfection totale du secteur de la place de la Porte de Rouen, le Maire de Honfleur, Michel LAMARRE, a souhaité rendre hommage aux moulières, ces femmes qui, pendant des décennies, ont travaillé dur dans l’estuaire et sur le banc . . . — — Map (db m86090) HM
They gave their tomorrow for our today.
United States of America
82nd Airborne: 1,142 Killed, 3,077 wounded
101st Airborne: 868 Killed, 2,303 wounded
6th Airborne: 821 Killed, 2,709 wounded
1st Canadian . . . — — Map (db m89048) WM
Le 6 juin 1944, les 1re et 29e Divisions d’Infanterie américaine étaient chargées d’établir une tête de pont sur ce site d’Omaha Beach. Les 6 km de plage avaient été divises en trois grands secteurs codes d’Ouest en Est: "Dog" . . . — — Map (db m88780) HM
Emplacement du mur antichar bloquant la sortie de la plage de Vierville-sur-Mer.
Ce mur a été détruit le 6-6-45 vers 17H00 par le Génie d’Assaut de la 29e DI-USNG
121e Bataillon – Compagnie C – 3e Peloton
9e Escouade . . . — — Map (db m88551) HM WM
Louise Napoleon, exiled heir to the Bonaparte throne, had been resident in England and had graduated from the Royal Military College in 1875. With the outbreak of the Anglo Zulu War of 1879, Prince Louis, keen to gain military experience, requested . . . — — Map (db m91005) HM
This covered bridge across the South Fork of the Yuba River at Bridgeport, Nevada Co., Calif. was built by David I. Wood in 1862 with lumber from his mill in Plum Valley, Sierra Co., Calif. Erected by Columbia Parlor No. 70, N.D.G.W., French Corral, . . . — — Map (db m8528) HM
Late in 1857, the three Johnson brothers and the twin Packard brothers came to this site to survey possibilities for a station to "try out" or extract whale oil. Their operations began the next year. In 1869 the U.S. Government acquired the property . . . — — Map (db m81235) HM
Hurriedly built in two months by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) for $25,000 in 1936, this wooden, green painted and later termite-infested ballpark was the original home of the Pacific Coast League (PCL) San Diego Padres. The breeze that . . . — — Map (db m83871) HM
Inscribed here are the names of 525 men who died in the Battle of Leyte Gulf during the liberation of the Philippine Islands on 25 Oct 1944. Their ships, the destroyers USS Johnston (DD-557) and USS Hoel (DD-533) and destroyer escort USS Samuel B. . . . — — Map (db m8428) HM
You've just stepped into Colorado's Kingdom - a delightful trip back in time with all of today's modern conveniences and amenities. Here you'll find one of the world's premier resorts with outstanding four-season activities to please everyone's . . . — — Map (db m58003) HM
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places
Summit County Courthouse
Cornerstone laid in 1909 on the "Most Beautiful spot in Summit County." Dedicated St. Patrick's Day, 1910.
This Corner Stone was . . . — — Map (db m57884) HM
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places
The Exchange - constructed in 1880, the building housed the Bank of Breckenridge, the Engle Bros. Exchange Bank and the Post Office at various times. — — Map (db m58368) HM
It is as if God has set His sign, His seal, His promise there – a beacon upon the very center and height of the Continent to all its people and all its generations…as if here was a great supply store and workshop of Creation, the fountain . . . — — Map (db m58578) HM
Vail Mountain stood bare just days before the resort’s 1962 grand opening. As luck would have it, a late December storm blanketed the area, dumping several feet of powder on the untracked slopes. Fortune just kept smiling on . . . — — Map (db m58485) HM
The Fenwick Island Lighthouse
In operation from 1859 to 1978
as an official aid to navigation
Transferred to Delaware, 1981
Restored, 1982 – 1983, by The Friends of
the Fenwick Island Lighthouse under the . . . — — Map (db m3027) HM
In honor of those who served to forge the heritage of the United States Navy.
In tribute to those who perished to provide peace and security for our maritime nation.
In gratitude to those now serving. — — Map (db m4826) HM
is a tribute to the philosophy and life of
Walter Elias Disney
…and to the talents, the dedication, and the loyalty of the entire Disney organization that made Walt Disney’s dream come true. May Walt Disney World bring Joy and Inspiration and . . . — — Map (db m4859) HM
In November 1942, NAS Sanford was commissioned to meet the need for additional naval aviation training facilities. Originally planned for bomber training, within a year it converted to fighter plane training. A major portion of fighter pilots that . . . — — Map (db m46608) HM
Abraham Lincoln made his farewell address to the people of Illinois at the Tolono Station February 11, 1861. "I am leaving you on an errand of national importance, attended as you are aware with considerable difficulties. Let us believe as some poet . . . — — Map (db m4720) HM
The Lincoln Highway
United States' first transcontinental highway, constructed 1913-1928, from New York City to San Francisco. Dedicated to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. Conceived by Carl G. Fisher to encourage building "good roads." . . . — — Map (db m9063) HM
Daniel Boone - Pioneer
Born, Pa., 1734. Died, Mo., 1820. Married Rebecca Boone, 1756, N.C. First trip to Kentucky, 1767. Set up Ft. Boonesborough, 1775, blazed Wilderness Trail and settled. Frontiersman, surveyor, settler, legislator and . . . — — Map (db m9754) HM
Museum of the American Quilters Society opened April 25, 1991. Meredith and Bill Schroeder dedicated this facility to promote, preserve and perpetuate quilting. Paducah, Kentucky, home of the American Quilters Society, is visited by thousands of . . . — — Map (db m4805) HM
In command of the Central America, home-bound with California Gold seekers, Captain Herndon lost his life in a gallant effort to save ship and lives during a cyclone off Hatteras, September 12, 1857
"Forgetful of self, in his death he . . . — — Map (db m7213) HM
The Memorial commemorates the arrival in Annapolis of Kunte Kinte, Alex Haley’s ancestor, as told in his book, Roots. That arrival was not a voluntary one. Kunte Kinte was one among one hundred-forty Africans forced into the hold of the slave . . . — — Map (db m6392) HM
Capitol of the United States November 26, 1783 – August 13, 1784
In this state house, oldest in the nation still in legislative use, General George Washington resigned his commission before the Continental Congress December 23, 1783. . . . — — Map (db m6703) HM
[Southwest side of Monument]:
To passed Midshipmen
H. A. Clemson.
J. R. Hynson
lost with the U. S. Brig Somers
off Vera Cruz
Dec. 8th, 1846
[Northeast side of Monument]:
J. W. Pillsbury.
T. . . . — — Map (db m66330) HM
Knight of the Royal Order of Military Merit, Brigadier of the Armies of France and Major General in service of the United States of America.
Having served with honor and reputation for three years, he gave a last and glorious proof of his . . . — — Map (db m2861) HM
John Wilkes Booth and David Herold remained hidden from April 16 to 21, 1865 in a nearby pine thicket, while Union troops searched for them. Thomas A. Jones brought them food and the newspapers. — — Map (db m39524) HM
Maryland's only remaining inhabited offshore island group. Named for early land owner Henry Smith. Chartered by Captain John Smith in 1608 as "The Russell Isles." English farmers John Evans and John Tyler came via Accomack County Virginia to become . . . — — Map (db m8285) HM
By special Act of Congress, the Betsy Ross flag is flown here 24 hours each day. This is to commemorate Washington’s Army having encamped in this area June 14, 1777, the day Congress adopted the Flag Resolution. The period of encampment extended . . . — — Map (db m7759) HM
A resident of New Bern for fifteen years; born in Prince Edward County, Virginia, about 1740, but came to North Carolina in 1763; member of Colonial Assembly from Halifax Town in 1764 and 1765; from the County of Halifax in 1769, 1770 and 1771; . . . — — Map (db m23831) HM
Established in 1772 during a visit to New Bern by Rev. Joseph Pilmoor. First known as Andrews Chapel and located Southwest of this site at Hancock St. and Church Alley. Centenary is the oldest continuing Methodist Church South and East of Baltimore. . . . — — Map (db m23743) HM
On the slope of Kill Devil Hill to the left, the Wright brothers experimented with gliders in the period 1900 - 1903.
Here also Wilbur Wright failed in an attempted power-driven flihgt, December 14, 1903. After just 3½ seconds in the air the . . . — — Map (db m10179) HM
"...the sand fairly blinds us. It blows across the ground in clouds. We certainly can't complain of the place. We came down here for wind and sand, and we got them."
Letter from Orville Wright to Katharine Wright, October 18, . . . — — Map (db m10146) HM
"Our first experiments were rather disappointing. The machine ... at times seemed to be entirely beyond control."
Orville Wright in a letter to his sister Katharine, July 28, 1901
The 1901 experiments at Kill Devil Hills . . . — — Map (db m10149) HM
On this site, in July – August, 1585 (O.S.), colonists, sent out from England by Sir Walter Raleigh, built a fort, called by them
“The New Fort in Virginia”
These colonists were the first settlers of the English race in . . . — — Map (db m9460) HM
The Chicamacomico Races
Soon after the capture of Hatteras Inlet, Union Colonel Rush C. Hawkins anticipated an assault to dislodge his troops from their new foothold on Hatteras Island. He dispatched 600 troops of the 20th Indiana Regiment . . . — — Map (db m11489) HM
East Face:Old French War - Pontiac's Conspiracy - Revolutionary War Northern terminus of the old Indian waterway and land trail the Sandusky-Scioto Route from Lake Erie to the Ohio River used from the earliest records by the Indian and . . . — — Map (db m20516) HM
The Battle of the Washita, a major engagement in the Plains Indian War which established the western expansion of the United States was fought on this site. Col. George A. Custer’s command of 500 troopers from the 7th Cavalry, and a detachment of . . . — — Map (db m11468) HM
Dr. Forbes Barclay left Scotland in 1839 for Fort Vancouver (Washington) where he became chief physician for Hudson's Bay Company. He moved to Oregon City in 1850 where he practiced medicine for many years. He was one of Oregon City's early mayors, . . . — — Map (db m8692) HM
From 1845 to 1849, George Abernethy was the first Provisional Governor of the Oregon Country, which extended from the Pacific Ocean to the Rocky Mountains and from California to Northern British Columbia. After arriving in Oregon in 1840 as part of . . . — — Map (db m8670) HM
Deer Island in the Columbia was named by the Lewis and Clark Expedition which stopped to dine here November 5, 1805 on its way down river. Homeward bound the explorers camped on the island on March 28,1806. Captain Clark recorded "This morning we . . . — — Map (db m7981) HM
Formed March 13, 1843 from Northampton and Monroe counties. Carbon is the basic element of this area's rich deposits of anthracite coal. The county seat, incorporated in 1850 as Mauch Chunk, was renamed in 1954 for Jim Thorpe, Indian athlete. — — Map (db m32150) HM
On June 21, 1877, four "Molly Maguires," an alleged secret society of Irish mine-workers, were hanged here. Pinkerton detective James McParlan’s testimony led to convictions for violent crimes against the coal industry, yet the facts of the labor, . . . — — Map (db m32153) HM
The Self Made Man
"...there is no distinction to which any young man may not aspier, and with energy, diligence, intelligence, and virtue, obtain."
From Asa Packer's 1867 biography
"The Rich Men of the World and How . . . — — Map (db m32270) HM
To all the Brave Defenders of the Union from the County of Carbon.
Wilderness, Hampton Roads, Antietam, Gettysburg
New Orleans, 1815.
On . . . — — Map (db m32102) WM
Dedicate to the honor and sacrifice of our men and women who served their country.
"Let none forget they gave their all and faltered not when came the call."
World War I
1917 - 1918
Francis Deitrich •
Christ J. Luhman •
David G. Eroh . . . — — Map (db m32149) WM
Iron heliometer tower, which served as an observatory, and housing for instruments, including powerful telescopes, used in viewing the December 6, 1882, Transit of Venus in Aiken, South Carolina. The observatory was built in two sections, each . . . — — Map (db m10193) HM
First settled in 1704, this region by 1733 included Amelia and lower Saxe Gotha townships. In 1765 much of it was made part of the new St. Matthew's Parish and was so named until 1865. Efforts in 1890 and 1896 led to an act signed on Feb. 14, . . . — — Map (db m26057) HM
1883 - 1978
It can be done
Superintent of Parker District Schools.
Founded the first Adult Education Center in Greenville Coounty.
Introduced Vocational Education (Forerunner of Technical Education Colleges in South . . . — — Map (db m10182) HM
In 1959 following the admission of Alaska and Hawaii to the Union, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic survey officially designated a point 20 miles north of Belle Fourche, South Dakota as the Geographic Center of the Nation.
Entry of Alaska and Hawaii . . . — — Map (db m4867) HM
[Inscription on star formerly mounted on the monument]:
Headquarters, 1st Brigade
Army of the Tennessee
Col. A. M. Hare, 11th Iowa
Established by Gen. . . . — — Map (db m42277) HM
has been designated a
This site possesses national signifigance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department Of . . . — — Map (db m4677) HM
On November 22, 1963, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, thirty-fifth President of the United States, visited Dallas. A Presidential parade traveled north on Houston Street to Elm Street and west on Elm Street. As the parade continued on Elm Street at 12:30 . . . — — Map (db m4660) HM
The first major expansion of facilities at Fort Bliss occurred between 1913 and 1917 when the post’s focus shifted from infantry to cavalry. This shift coincided with a build-up of forces and facilities to support a full cavalry regiment to protect . . . — — Map (db m101369) HM
The Doctor's House was owned consecutively by doctors Samuel Oglesby, William Daisey, Bache Gill, and Charles Gladstone. Dr. Gladstone never lived there, but boarded next door in the Sidney Crockett House.
Dr. Gladstone's former office still . . . — — Map (db m39951) HM
Boundary Stone Southwest 3
District of Columbia
This plaque placed here on the 200th anniversary of the founding of the City of Washington D.C.
Placed here and protected by Colonel John Washington . . . — — Map (db m7638) HM
The daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Buckner and the widow of Charles Smith, Dorothy Smith married John Roy in 1719. John Roy was the owner of a tobacco warehouse at Port Royal, Virginia - a facility to which local planters brought their tobacco to . . . — — Map (db m57538) HM
The town was laid out in 1798 on land of Benjamin Berry and was first known as Battletown. Here at “Audley” lived Nellie Custis, Washington’s adopted daughter. Here at “Soldiers Rest” lived General Daniel Morgan, who built . . . — — Map (db m1788) HM
On this site stood Lee Chapel, a Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1871 and named in honor of General Robert E. Lee. Lee Chapel replaced Mount Carmel Church which had been located at Ox Road and present day Lee Chapel Road and had been destroyed by . . . — — Map (db m11) HM
In 1687, King James II granted 30,000 acres of land here as a sanctuary for Roman Catholics to George Brent, of Stafford County, and London residents Robert Bristow, Richard Foote, and Nicholas Hayward. Brent established a fortified outpost the next . . . — — Map (db m2734) HM
Thomas Jefferson stated in NOTES ON THE STATE OF VIRGINIA (1782) that he found gold bearing rock weighing approximately four pounds near this site. Among the 19 gold mines that have been in operation since then in the area, the . . . — — Map (db m2730) HM
In honor of
H.P. ‘Pat’ & Thelma Monroe
The original dreamers who generously donated the land for Monroe Park
S.W. Rodgers Co., Inc.
The community minded people who moved the earth to form Monroe Park
Ruppert Landscape Co. . . . — — Map (db m2258) HM
In the aftermath of the Civil War, numerous former slaves came to Fredericksburg where there was already an established free black community. Many freedmen took work as laborers and servants. Others brought artisan skills they had practiced in . . . — — Map (db m733) HM
The Shiloh Baptist Church (Old Site) resides on the site once occupied by the African Baptist Church. Constructed as the Fredericksburg Baptist Church, the building was sold to its African-American members in 1857, after the white congregation had . . . — — Map (db m1084) HM
December 13, 1862 the Confederates under Lee defeated the Federals under Burnside in a sanguinary conflict marked by extraordinary bravery on both sides. In a series of gallant charges the Federal army sustained heavy losses and Burnside was forced . . . — — Map (db m4762) HM
Hazel Hill, the home of John Minor (13 May 1761 – 8 June 1816), a close friend of President James Monroe, once occupied this site. Minor served as a soldier in the American Revolution, as a colonel if the Spotsylvania County militia, and as a . . . — — Map (db m1129) HM
In 1909-10, the Fredericksburg Water Power Company constructed the Embrey Dam and its power plant on Caroline Street, for the express purpose of generating electric power. The increasing number of uses for this emerging technology encouraged such an . . . — — Map (db m7663) HM
In August of 1608, Captain John Smith and his crew explored the lower Rappahannock from the Chesapeake Bay to a point just upstream from this location. Soon after landing, the group was attacked by Mannahoack Indians, a Siouan people who were . . . — — Map (db m7660) HM
December 11, 1862. The peacetime bridges having been destroyed, engineers of Burnside’s Federal Army began laying pontoons across the Rappahannock. Here, overlooking the upper pontoon site, Confederates of Barksdale’s Mississippi Brigade, sheltered . . . — — Map (db m5377) HM
Confederate troops under the command of Gen. William Barksdale were awake and alert hereon the morning of December 11,1862, waiting anxiously for the sun to rise. On the river, unseen in the inky blackness but clearly audible in the night’s . . . — — Map (db m1132) HM
A Walking Tour of Fredericksburg’s Historic Old Mill District
Fredericksburg’s Historic Old Mill District dates its origins to the earliest settlers along the Rappahannock River. This walking tour takes you through what can be considered the . . . — — Map (db m1143) HM
Had the demon of destruction held an orgie in the town, had all the imps of hell been called together and turned loose upon the city, it could scarcely have been more blasted, ruined and desecrated than when left by the Yankee army.” . . . — — Map (db m2576) HM
The post-Civil War street in front of you, Kenmore Avenue, covers a wartime millrace or canal ditch. On December 13, 1862, the ditch became a maddening obstacle to Union soldiers advancing against Marye’s Heights. Five feet deep, 15 feet wide, and . . . — — Map (db m1067) HM
“My army is as much stronger for these new entrenchments as if I had received reinforcements of 20,000 men.”
- R.E. Lee, Decenber 14, 1862
In December, 1862, the Confederates had no organized . . . — — Map (db m4180) HM
(Text of tablet placed in 1992):In honor of Confederate Soldiers who died in Fredericksburg Oct 1861 through Mar 1862 and buried in Barton St. Cemetery No record of reinterment when site reused in 1920 Alabama 14th Infantry- Archer . . . — — Map (db m14425) HM
This is the Third Church of Abingdon Parish and was erected in 1755 on the site of an earlier one. The parish, established between 1650 and 1655, had its first church near the river. — — Map (db m2961) HM
Three miles west, on Carter’s Creek, stand the ruins of Rosewell, a grand mansion with the finest brickwork in the English colonies. Begun in 1725 by Mann Page I, and home to the Page family for more than one hundred years, Rosewell stood three . . . — — Map (db m2973) HM
Several miles west is Rosewell, built about 1750, home of the Page family, and the largest of Colonial Virginia houses. On York River, probably at Puritan Bay some miles west of Rosewell, was Werowocomoco, Chief town of the Indian ruler Powhatan in . . . — — Map (db m86199) HM
Christ Church Lancaster, a singular example of colonial church architecture, was completed circa 1735. This is Robert “King” Carter’s legacy to the community. Its simplicity stands as a witness to the importance of the Christian faith to . . . — — Map (db m24280) HM
Walking straight into the mouth of early death facing superior enemy fire power and while greatly outnumbered, this soldier displayed courage and valor, above and beyond the call of duty. His act of conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity occurred May . . . — — Map (db m14112) HM
Dean, Academic Department 1915-1920
Chairman, English Department 1916-1941
Known as VPI’s godfather of extracurricular activities, Carol Montgomery Newman headed the English and Language Departments, taught English . . . — — Map (db m41460) HM
This place became the county seat of Nelson when it was formed from Amherst in 1807. It was named for James Loving, Jr., who gave the land for the courthouse, built in 1808-09. The town was incorporated in 1807 and again in 1871, and deincorporated . . . — — Map (db m40740) HM
In memory of the men of Nelson County who lost their lives in World War II 1941 - 1945
George David Akers •
Richmond Oliver Allen •
Harry Philmore Anderson •
Samuel Harvey Anderson •
Garland Golden Ashley •
Cyrus Edison Banton •
James . . . — — Map (db m40774) HM
In memory of the men of Nelson County who lost their lives in the World War, 1917 - 1918
Hope W. Massie Lieut.
Robert Penn Brent Corp.
Richard Witt Wright "
Lawrence Allen Pvt
Frank R. Beasley . . . — — Map (db m40773) HM
The original Magnolia House at Fort Eustis was built in the mid-17th Century by some of the first Jamestown colonists. Over 100 years later the house and land served as an observation post for sentries in the Revolutionary War watching for British . . . — — Map (db m92324) HM
To provide emergency housing for war workers and their families during World War II, the U.S. government constructed a combined 5,200 unit project at Copeland and Newsome Park in 1943 on 1,174 acres between Briarfield Road and 39th Street. This . . . — — Map (db m94335) HM
For 53 years they defined the meaning of community involvement in the City of Newport News. Both George and Estell were pivotal in the growth and development of the community.
George was Chairman of Riverside Hospital Board of Trustees, chairman . . . — — Map (db m77587) HM
Arriving in the year 1001, Liefr Eiriksson is believed to be the first European to set foot in North America.
This sculpture was presented to The Mariners' Museum by the Eiriksson Memorial Committee of the National League of Icelanders in . . . — — Map (db m96046) HM
Dedicated to the memory of the submarines, their officers and crews who are still on patrol beneath the sea.
May the flame of patriotism that drove these men be kindled in the breasts of all who view this memorial .... — — Map (db m33328) WM
[Rendering of the guided missile destroyer USS COLE]
At 1118 on the morning of October 12, 2000, as USS COLE (DDG 67) was refueling in Aden Harbor, Yemen, suicide bombers detonated an explosive-laden boat directly against the port side of . . . — — Map (db m51533) HM
Elijah W. Reed, a New England ship captain, established the town in 1874 after building a factory here to process menhaden, a small bony fish rich in oil. Reedville soon became the center of the industry and home port to the Atlantic menhaden fleet. . . . — — Map (db m22959) HM
The Brentsville Tavern was among many buildings on the Tavern Square. Owner Thomas Hampton’s 1828* notice read:
SALE OF VALUABLE PROPERTY AT BRENTSVILLE, PRINCE WILLIAM C.H., VA. On Thursday the 18th day . . . — — Map (db m2779) HM
Named in honor of Benita Fitzgerald,
Olympic Gold Medalist – 100 Meter Hurdles,
XXIII Olympiad – 1984 •
Pan American Games Champion – 1983 •
U.S. National Champion – 1983 and 1986.
Benita was born in Warrenton, . . . — — Map (db m2333) HM
Williams Ordinary is believed to have been built in the 1760s, although the exact construction date is unknown. The building’s symmetrical façade features header bond, a brick pattern rarely found in Virginia. This building was one of the most . . . — — Map (db m3297) HM
Dumfries, an important Potomac River port chartered in 1749, became strategically significant in the autumn of 1861 when Confederate forces built batteries along the Potomac River nearby to blockade Washington, D.C. Gen. William H.C. Whiting, . . . — — Map (db m3207) HM
"A Pacific Paradise on the Potomac," suggests the type of atmosphere that existed at Freestone Point in July, 1957. The S.S. Freestone, a gambling ship, was the main attraction of an exciting new recreational resort. Even though it was illegal to . . . — — Map (db m5334) HM
“At the point of rock,” the translation of the American Indian word Neabsco, describes clearly the high bluff of land in front of you known as Freestone Point. The location of Freestone Point is indicated on maps from the 18th Century . . . — — Map (db m5333) HM
A Fight on the Potomac took place here on September 25, 1861. According to Confederate Sgt. Wilmot Walter Curry, his unit was ordered to construct a battery at Freestone Point in order to deflect attention from larger, more permanent batteries . . . — — Map (db m70917) HM WM
In 1804, after Virginia’s General Assembly granted a charter, Occoquan was platted on 31 acres of founder Nathaniel Ellicott’s and others’ land. The Plat laid off streets and lots. Structures shown included the public wharf, Ellicott’s Mill and . . . — — Map (db m2365) HM
Commerce Street was a residential and commercial area from the early 19th through mid-20th centuries. Houses, many of which survive, faced the street on lots surveyed on the 1804 town plat. Businesses included the Hammill Hotel and a General Store. . . . — — Map (db m86043) HM
This brick, lancet-windowed church, built ca. 1925 is Occoquan’s second Methodist church. The first wood-frame church, located on Commerce St. behind the present structure, burned in the 1916 town fire. Besides its original tenants, other church . . . — — Map (db m2383) HM
The Dogues, an Algonquian tribe, occupied the Occoquan River Watershed in the early 1600s. In their dialect, Occoquan means “at the end of the water.” They lived in villages, hunted and fished, and raised corn, beans, squash, and . . . — — Map (db m2390) HM
In 1758 when John Ballendine built his dwelling, “Rockledge,” at Occoquan, the town began to prosper. By 1765 it was a flourishing industrial settlement with grist mills, foundry, and tobacco warehouses. “Rockledge” and a . . . — — Map (db m114) HM
(Marker on front)
Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune
United States Marine Corps
Major General Commanding Second Division
American Expeditionary Force
France, World War I
Major General Commandant
United States . . . — — Map (db m3573) HM
Nolan H. Gray Reservoir
Dedicated to the Memory of
Nolan H. Gray
U. S. Marine Corps
19 July 1941 – 7 February 1968
Twice Deputy Game Warden, Marine Corps Base, Quantico, Virginia.
He was active in all phases of . . . — — Map (db m2744) HM
Marine Officer, industry leader, husband, father, grandfather, and philanthropic giant. He was the embodiment of courage, leadership, and patriotism. Al Lerner attributed his many achievements to his Marine Corps training and service. His love . . . — — Map (db m3047) HM
The King’s Highway was the first north-south route through Virginia. The road began in Boston and ended in Williamsburg. It may have followed one or more trails that American Indians used before European colonization.
The route was first . . . — — Map (db m4891) HM
[Monument's east side]:
Commanding Cavalry Corps
Army Northern Virginia
Confederate States of America
This statue erected by his comrades
and the City of Richmond
[Monument's south side]:
“Tell . . . — — Map (db m9150) HM
Point for the measurement of distances from Richmond on Highways of Virginia
North Latitude 37° 32' 23"
West Longitude 77° 26' 04" . . . — — Map (db m4651) HM
Nearby, on Nov. 1, 1852, the first Virginia & Tennessee Railroad train arrived in Big Lick (now Roanoke), three years after the company had been incorporated. The track from Lynchburg, Virginia to Bristol, Tennessee, was completed in 1856. In 1870, . . . — — Map (db m16970) HM
On June 31, 1864 General Hunter, retreating from defeat at Lynchburg by General Early, met Confederate forces led by General John McCausland. After losing some of his artillery here, Hunter continued his withdrawal northwest through New Castle to . . . — — Map (db m3843) HM
On June 21, 1864, following two days of fighting at Lynchburg, Confederate Gen. Robert Ransom’s cavalry, pursuing Union Gen. David Hunter’s retreating column, engaged in a conflict that would ultimately become known as the Battle of Hanging Rock. . . . — — Map (db m4012) HM
The Lynchburg and Salem Turnpike Co. was incorporated in 1818 to construct a turnpike from Lynchburg west to Salem "to establish a communication between Lynchburg [to Salem] and the western part of Virginia." It was funded by stock bought by the . . . — — Map (db m3902) HM
Here at East Hill Cemetery is buried Sgt. James Walton (1838-1875). A gunner in Capt. Charles B. Griffin's Battery (Salem Flying Artillery), Walton fired one of the last artillery shots by Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox . . . — — Map (db m3905) HM
Salem Post No. 19
Department of Virginia of
The American Legion
to honor those soldiers
and sailors from
who gave their lives for
the cause of democracy
during the World War
1917 - 1919
George F. . . . — — Map (db m3987) WM
At this point in his Richmond raid, Gen. Sheridan, after a fight with Confederate cavalry commanded by General Williams C. Wickham, turned off the Telegraph Road to Beaver Dam, May 9, 1864. This change of route caused Sheridan to approach Richmond . . . — — Map (db m3316) HM
General Maxcy Gregg fell mortally wounded near this spot on December 13, 1862. Fiery and uncompromising on the issues of slavery and states’ rights, the South Carolina lawyer had been an early and ardent proponent of secession. When war came, Gregg, . . . — — Map (db m4092) HM
December 13, 1862. In these gunpits stood 14 cannon of Walker’s Artillery Battalion, guarding the right of the Confederate line. While the youthful Maj. John Pelham’s light and mobile horse artillery, about a mile to the front, daringly challenged . . . — — Map (db m4087) HM
December 13, 1862. Here, on the wood’s edge facing the fields of the Lansdowne Valley, Gen. George Pickett’s 9,000 men, including soldiers from Fredericksburg, held a vital part of Lee’s line. The enemy did not attack Pickett’s Division and the men . . . — — Map (db m4124) HM
Usually thought of as a Union monument, the large pyramid in front of you was in fact erected by the Confederate Memorial Literary Society. In 1897, the society contacted Virginia railroad executives asking them to erect markers at historically . . . — — Map (db m7977) HM
At 1:30 p.m., little more than an hour after Union troops began their assaults on Marye’s Heights, Gen. George G. Meade’s division penetrated “Stonewall” Jackson’s line here at Prospect Hill. Meade’s 3,800 Pennsylvanians advanced toward . . . — — Map (db m4094) HM
Two weeks of fighting at Spotsylvania had resulted in a bloody draw. On May 21, 1864, the Army of the Potomac left its trenches outside the village and began moving east and south, hoping to lure the Confederated into the open where it could attack . . . — — Map (db m1726) HM
Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign
Union troops took this road on May 21, 1864, as they left Spotsylvania and headed toward Guinea Station. One year earlier, “Stonewall” Jackson’s ambulance had used this same road to carry . . . — — Map (db m3707) HM
As the first rays of daylight filtered through the rain-drenched woods here on May 12, the men of General George H. Steuart’s brigade heard a commotion up the line, to their left. Moments later, through the shifting mists, they saw a human tidal . . . — — Map (db m23846) HM
(North face): Erected to commemorate this spot where Maj Genl John Sedgwick, U.S. Vols. Commanding Sixth Army Corps was killed in action on the morning of the 9th of May 1864.
(East face): A tribute to a beloved Commander by the . . . — — Map (db m3694) HM
Unable to defeat the Confederates at Spotsylvania Court House, on 21 May 1864 Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant ordered the Army of the Potomac to march toward Bowling Green. Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s Ninth Corps brought up the rear. Grant ordered . . . — — Map (db m1722) HM
This simple and sturdy edifice, constructed in 1844, is typical of the brick churches which rural Baptists build around Fredericksburg in the mid-19th century. During the campaign of November and December, 1862, the building sheltered refugees from . . . — — Map (db m3505) HM
The arrival of contending armies in December 1862 forced thousands of residents to leave Fredericksburg. Most fled into the countryside, bound for homes or churches in Spotsylvania County. One Confederate officer remembered seeing old women, . . . — — Map (db m3512) HM
In Jan. 1863, after the Federal defeat at the First Battle of Fredericksburg on 13 Dec., Maj. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside sought to restore the army’s morale by crossing the Rappahannock River at Banks’s Ford two miles south and attacking the rear of . . . — — Map (db m2215) HM
The straight, level road you used to get here was once the bed of the Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac Railroad. As its name implies, the railroad ran from Richmond, through Fredericksburg, to the Potomac River, ending here at Aquia landing. . . . — — Map (db m2200) HM
Within weeks after Virginia seceded from the Union in the spring of 1861, state troops began fortifying Aquia Landing. One artillery battery was established on the waterfront while additional batteries, like this one, covered the landing from nearby . . . — — Map (db m2201) HM
In the woods on this hill are the remains of a regimental-sized union infantry winter camp. A New York regiment of the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, most likely occupied this camp, the remains clearly visible and run in most cases in lines from the . . . — — Map (db m39548) HM
“ Tis a perfect picture of desolation, and a sad illustration of the ravages of war.”
—Newspaper correspondent, 1863
Union soldiers loll around Chatham in this February 1863 photograph. The scene here was . . . — — Map (db m4655) HM
The mounds of earth beside you and the stone blocks protruding from it are all that remain of the south abutment of a bridge that once carried the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad across Potomac Creek. During the first year of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m2194) HM
Located south of here on the Rappahannock River, stood Hunter’s Iron Works, founded by James Hunter and was in operation by the 1750s. With the outbreak of the American Revolution, the Rappahannock Forge there supplied the Continental army and navy . . . — — Map (db m2729) HM
Nearby to the northwest is the childhood home of renowned abolitionist, writer, and lecturer Moncure Daniel Conway (1832-1907). In 1838 his family moved into this Federal-style house. Conway graduated from Dickinson College in 1849 and Harvard . . . — — Map (db m1676) HM
Established in 1870 by purchasing one acre of land from E. G. Phillip for $1.00. The first Pastor, Reverend Horace Crutcher, served as pastor for 38 years. The first church was bush harbor, the second a log building. In 1894 a frame structure was . . . — — Map (db m78364) HM
In Memory of these brave Marine Lieutenants
of the 10th Special Basic Class who trained
here from September 1951 – February 1952.
They gallantly gave their lives for their country
and Corps during the Korean conflict.
John L. . . . — — Map (db m2912) WM
Following the attacks of September 11, 2001, members of Marine Fighter attack Squadron 321 reported to Andrews Air Base to prepare for their role in defense of Washington D.C. On the morning of September 12th, the squadron Commanding Officer, LtCol . . . — — Map (db m2836) HM
Hospital Corpsman Second Class
David R. Ray, U.S. Navy
Awarded the Medal of Honor (posthumously)
for combat operations against the enemy
in the Republic of Vietnam
on 19 March 1969 while serving with Battery D,
Second Battalion, . . . — — Map (db m3056) HM
The Principio Company constructed the Accokeek Iron Furnace nearby about 1726 on land leased from Augustine Washington (father of George Washington), who became a partner. After Washington’s death in 1743, his son Lawrence inherited his interest in . . . — — Map (db m2261) HM
Here is Aquia Church, the church of Overwharton Parish, formed before 1680 by the division of Potomac Parish. It was built in 1757, on the site of an earlier church, in the rectorship of Reverend John Moncure, who was the parish minister from 1738 . . . — — Map (db m7642) HM
Pyrite, an important source of sulfuric acid, was discovered in Stafford in 1902. Mining commenced near Smith Reservoir in 1903 but soon moved south to Garrisonville Road in what is now Hampton Oaks subdivision. The main shaft was 650 feet deep. In . . . — — Map (db m76066) HM
In 1863, over 135,000 Union Army of the Potomac soldiers established winter camps throughout Stafford County - the largest encampment of any Army during the Civil War. Two-thirds of Civil War deaths occurred while armies were in camp. Many soldiers . . . — — Map (db m65152) HM
Mine Road Bridge is dedicated to Frances R. Shelton, a member of the Shelton family, who have been residents of Stafford County for over 236 years. Frances R. Shelton was a dedicated and giving American Legion Auxiliary President from 1996 to 1997. . . . — — Map (db m106313) HM
To commemorate the first English Catholic Settlers in Virginia: Colonel Giles Brent, Deputy Governor of Maryland 1643; Margaret and Mary Brent who settled at Aquia 1647; George Brent, King’s Attorney General 1686, Member House of Burgesses 1688, who . . . — — Map (db m2183) HM
Nearby here was Sthreshley Farm, site of Abraham Lincoln's Grand Review. On April 8, 1863, 60,000 men passed the president who sat on a horse for the long, 5½ hour review. 10 year old Tad stayed by his father, while Mrs. Lincoln watched from a . . . — — Map (db m82481) HM
Stafford Training School, later known as H. H. Poole School, was constructed in 1939 by
the Public Works Administration after African American parents raised money to buy the
land. During the segregation era, this was the only school in Stafford . . . — — Map (db m78074) HM
The log house preserved on this site was built by Lewis Knight in the mid-nineteenth century, probably c. 1850, and was situated on an 83-acre agricultural parcel. Lewis Knight share the home with his wife, Roberta, and their nine children; Sarah, . . . — — Map (db m120839) HM
These woods contain remains of hut sites, chimneys and defenses of a large Army of the Potomac winter camp, soldiers of the 11th Corps 1st and 3rd Divisions moved to this area from Belle Plain and Stafford Courthouse in late Feb/early Mar, 1863, in . . . — — Map (db m65151) HM
The same inscription is engraved on both sides of the marker:
In memory of those 2403 heroes who made the supreme sacrifice and to the survivors of Pearl Harbor, Oahu, Hawaii
A day that will live in infamy
"Remember Pearl Harbor" . . . — — Map (db m98416) WM
to the memory of
Mrs. Eliza M.
The wife of
Lieut. W. E. Jones,
U.S. Mounted Rifles.
She was born on the 3rd of May 1884 in Washington County, Virginia, was married on the 15th of January 1852, and was drowned on the 26th . . . — — Map (db m20414) HM
Area 458 Square Miles
Formed in 1842 from Grayson, and named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. New River runs through this County.
Area 479 Square . . . — — Map (db m24972) HM
“It did not seem possible that both armies could gather inspiration from the historic memories that cluster around this memorable field. The traditions of the revolution lingered here awakening in all loyal breasts sincerest hopes for the . . . — — Map (db m10432) HM
[Panel 1]:Captain George Vancouver Monument
October 31, 1792
Lt. William Broughton
Named This Area
For His Captain
October 31, 1992
[Panel 2]:Boat of Discovery
“…The real story of George . . . — — Map (db m8516) HM
In October 1832, the Japanese cargo ship Hojun Maru set sail from near Nagoya bound for Edo (present day Tokyo). Disabled in a storm off Enshu Nada, the Hojun Maru drifted for fourteen months before running aground on the coast near Cape Flattery, . . . — — Map (db m8423) HM
Until the late 19th century, the U. S. Army awarded sales commissions to civilian traders, known as sutlers. Each post or regiment was authorized to appoint one. Described as “a combination of saloon keeper and general store operator,” . . . — — Map (db m8963) HM
World War I
James A Forbes •
Frank L. Gaddis •
Walter Kalahan •
Alfred Earl Wells •
Tom C. Bair •
Fred S. Millard
World War II
Elmer Beebe •
Harold R. Chilcoat •
Harry A. Lillard, Jr. •
Elmer Mattila •
Claude M. . . . — — Map (db m8399) WM
On this historic ground, Sept. 1, 1858, 700 soldiers under Col Geo. Wright, U.S.A. routed 5,000 allied indians.
Four days later, the rallied hostiles were decisively defeated in a running battle. They sued for mercy, and have ever since . . . — — Map (db m3816) HM
A short distance to the south, near the Walla Walla River, is Wai-i-lat-pu, "The Place of the People of the Rye Grass,” a mission founded among the Cayuse Indians of the Walla Walla Valley in 1836 by Dr. Marcus Whitman and his wife, Narcissa. . . . — — Map (db m3766) HM
A. S. Hugill built 75' long by 14' wide multiple king-post truss bridge in 1881 for $1483 on land of John Lowe. Survived great flood of 1888 but was washed away from original site 1/2 miles upstream in 1899. — — Map (db m8541) HM
In 1816, with a strong interest in internal improvements, the legislatures of Virginia and Ohio authorized the formation of the Wheeling and Belmont Bridge Company (Belmont because the bridge company was to connect from Wheeling, Virginia to Belmont . . . — — Map (db m561) HM
1204 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1004