Located within Daniel Pratt Historic District, this park overlooks Autauga Creek and the manufacturing complex around which this New England style village developed. Daniel Pratt founded Prattville in 1839, and patterned the town after those of his . . . — Map (db m27958) HM
Both people and animals need salt to remain healthy. Before the Civil War the people of Alabama consumed about 50 pounds of salt per person per year, most of which came from England and the West Indies. One quarter of all the salt imported into the . . . — Map (db m68503) HM
Constructed between 1899 and 1900, the battery was named in honor of Major General Henry Dearborn, a Revolutionary War hero. The battery mounted eight 12” breech-loading mortars. Each mortar weighed 13 tons and was 11’ 9” long. The . . . — Map (db m69919) HM
The first of two rapid fire gun batteries, Battery Thomas was named in honor of Captain Evan Thomas, 4th U.S. Artillery, who was killed in action with the Modoc Indians at Lava Beds, California in 1873.
In March 1898, as the nation moved . . . — Map (db m69826) HM
This Shell Banks Baptist Church rests near the location of the first Indian village in America visited by a white man. This was the Indian village of “Achuse” visited by Admiral Maldonado who was one of De Soto’s officers. He scouted . . . — Map (db m66295) HM
After World War I, the versatile M1918M1 gun and its M1918A1 carriage were adapted for coast defense. Although the gun could be traversed over a wider range than other large guns of the period, it was still unable to adequately track moving . . . — Map (db m81808) HM
Eager to attack Mobile Bay since 1862, U. S. Admiral David Farragut knew he could not capture control of the lower bay without the support of the army and without a flotilla of ironclad monitors to confront the Confederate ironclad CSS . . . — Map (db m68815) HM
Old tales have it that early explorers and even pirate vessels obtained potable water from springs scattered throughout the community of Magnolia Springs. This park is located at the largest of dozens of springs in the area.
In 1865 The . . . — Map (db m68486) HM
Orange Beach was named for the oranges that were grown here and exported until the hard-freezes of 1916. The orange groves are gone, but the name remained. Drawn here by the game they hunted, the early Indians discovered the . . . — Map (db m81851) HM
Here on the banks of the Tensaw River -- named for the Tensa Indian tribe whose principal village was located at this place -- Major Robert Farmar developed a plantation c. 1772. Farmar was one of the most prominent and controversial Alabamians of . . . — Map (db m66380) HM
Surveyed in 1799 to mark the 31° North Latitude, this line charted the first southern boundary of the United States, separating the U.S. from Spanish Florida. The line was marked at one-mile intervals by earthen mounds approximately fifteen-feet . . . — Map (db m81856) HM
Built between 1856 and 1860 by Edward Brown Young and his wife, Ann Fendall Beall, this was one of the first of the great Italianate style homes constructed in Eufaula. It later became the home of the builders’ daughter, Anna Beall Young, and her . . . — Map (db m33759) HM
Originally located off Patton Chapel Road in what is today Hoover, Alabama, the Sunshine and Dorothy Morton house was moved to the Brierfield Park in March 2005 by the Morton family and restored over the next two years by restoration specialist . . . — Map (db m37177) HM
Three prowling Union soldiers invaded home of sister-in-law of Celia and Winnie Mae Murphree taking food, drink; killing two colts.
When soldiers fell asleep, these two young girls took rifles, marched soldiers to headquarters of General . . . — Map (db m83226) HM
James Crook established this cemetery in
1837 on land he purchased from Creek
Indians. In 1834, he and his family moved
to this area from South Carolina.
In Nov. 1837, Samuel M. Crook, grandson
of James Crook, was the first person buried
here. . . . — Map (db m36552) HM
Called “A poem in cedar & stone,” its history is intimately related to that of Anniston: Town Founders, Daniel Tyler & Samuel Noble, inspired its conception, funded its construction & caused Woodstock Iron Co. to donate the land on which . . . — Map (db m35759) HM
On July 3, 1887, a congregation of 45 people met at the Opera House on Noble Street to organize a new church. Originally called Second Baptist Church, the name soon was changed to Twelfth Street Baptist Church.
In 1889, it became Parker . . . — Map (db m36545) HM
James G. Ryals, Jr. 1883-1885
J. Harris Chappell 1885-1886
Carleton B. Gibson 1886-1892
J. B. Jarrett 1892-1893
Jacob Forney, IV 1893-1899
Clarence William Daugette 1899-1942
Houston Cole 1942-1971
Ernest Stone 1971-1981
Theron E. . . . — Map (db m36427) HM
Brigadier General C.S.A.
With Army of Virginia 1861-1865.
Wounded in battle five times.
He was one of four distinguished sons
of Jacob Forney and Sabina Swope Hoke
of Jacksonville who held commissions
in the Confederate Army.
. . . — Map (db m36480) HM
Cavalry engagement here among fiercest of war.
To defend arsenal at Selma Forrest (CSA) charged with 1500 into Wilson (USA) moving south with 7500.
Forrest was seeking to delay Wilson pending arrival of scattered (CSA) units.
Forrest in . . . — Map (db m37617) HM
Lemuel Alston, William Armistead, Thomas Bradford, John Bradley, William Cochran, John Cox, John Creighton, Benjamin Darby, John Dean, Sr., Matthew Gayle, John Giles, William Goode, John Harvey, Aaron Lewis, Axom Lewis, Thomas Moody, Elijah Pugh, . . . — Map (db m47748) HM
Built by Judge John Gates Creagh, attorney, commissioner, county treasurer, judge of county orphans court and state legislator. It was originally located on lot 15 Court Street, facing the county court house, and was moved in the mid 1930's to . . . — Map (db m47652) HM
Commences at the Cut-Off, or the first high ground in that vicinity, follows the watershed between the Alabama and Tombigbee Rivers, and ends at Choctaw Corner. Established in 1808 by the Creek and Choctaw Indians as the dividing line between their . . . — Map (db m47628) HM
Town laid out in 1819 at crossing of Old Line and Old Federal Roads. Named for Wm. Suggs, storekeeper. Site of Clarke County's first newspaper, cotton gin, carriage, shoe and silk factory. Site of extensive aviation experiments by Dr. Denny 100 . . . — Map (db m47698) HM
“Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama” (The German Colony of North Alabama) lies south of Highway 278E and consists of 27 blocks containing 135 buildings representing various types of historic architecture. The District was added to the . . . — Map (db m33837) HM
The first church at the town site of Cullman. Founded May 1, 1874, at the beginning of the second year of settlement.
An ethnic German church formed by immigrant families. Services held exclusively in the German language until 1932. In 1937, . . . — Map (db m33840) HM
Pursuit and Union Col. Streight’s defense, from Battle Ground (26 M. - NW) to capture at Lawrence (80 M. - East) - said to be greatest cavalry fight in modern warfare. It passed here May 1, 1863. — Map (db m33801) HM
Early settlers to Cullman County established Shady Grove Methodist Episcopal Church as a brush arbor in the 1870s on land homesteaded and donated by Richard McCain. Trustees, J. J. McKissack, W. H. Martin, J. C. Vickery, J. W. Kilgo, together with . . . — Map (db m34244) HM
This engraving of the Union Prison at Cahaba was published in 1877 by Benson J. Lossing. The stockade had already been removed, so the details of the brick structure are visible. The artist apparently was in a boat in the Alabama River, behind you . . . — Map (db m83506) HM
In 1858, the railroad company graded away an Indian mound that stood here. A brick warehouse was built in its place. From 1863 - 1865 the Confederate government used this warehouse to hold captured Federal Soldiers. You are standing on a pile of . . . — Map (db m22666) HM
In 1866, shortly after the Civil War and a severe flood, the county seat was moved from Cahaba to Selma. Residents rapidly abandoned the town. Many homes were dismantled and reassembled elsewhere.
Despite this trend, returning Confederate . . . — Map (db m83516) HM
The Crocherons were from Staten Island, New York. Richard Conner Crocheron arrived in town about 1837 to help run the family store. He traveled north for his bride in 1843 after building her this brick home. The back wall adjoined the brick store . . . — Map (db m22870) HM
In 1889, Samuel and Sarah Kirkpatrick moved to Selma, leaving their farm and house in the capable hands of their son Clifton (1863-1930). He turned the abandoned remains of Alabama's first capital into a showcase farm of diversified, scientific . . . — Map (db m23005) HM
By 1858 many brick stores had been built in Cahaba, so everyone called this the "old brick store." Merchant Sam M. Hill turned the building into one huge dry goods store where shoppers could buy just about anything!
Col. Hill, like most of the . . . — Map (db m23242) HM
Edmund Winston Pettus, lawyer, General C.S.A., U.S. Senator, was born Limestone County, Alabama, 1821.
Admitted to bar, 1842.
Moved to Cahaba, 1858.
Major, C.S.A., 1861.
Brigadier General, 1863.
U.S. Senator, 1897-1907.
Resided here . . . — Map (db m38273) HM
Rev. James J. Reeb, an Army Veteran and Unitarian minister from Casper, Wyoming, was working in Boston when Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. appealed for clergymen of all faiths to come to Selma to protest the violence that occurred at the Edmund Pettus . . . — Map (db m37683) HM
Central Masonic Institute of Alabama acquired property 1847 and erected building. Confederate Hospital during War Between the States. Dallas County Courthouse (1866-1901) on removal of County Seat from Cahaba. Presbyterian High School for Boys in . . . — Map (db m37656) HM
This Greek Revival house was built circa 1850 by Thomas Helm Lee, master builder and owner of early Selma lumber yard. Born in Kentucky, he was the son of Miller Lee of Buckingham County, Virginia and married Mary Jane Blanks of Cahaba in 1839. He . . . — Map (db m37674) HM
East portion reserved for graveyard, 1829; west part purchased City of Selma, 1877.
Here are buried:
William Rufus King, 1786-1853, Vice President of U.S. 1853.
John Tyler Morgan, 1824-1907, U.S. Senator, Brig. Gen. C.S.A.
Edmund . . . — Map (db m37653) HM
This Greek Revival dwelling was built c. 1850 by Dr. Albert Gallatin Mabry, a prominent physician and member of the Alabama Legislature. Dr. Mabry was a leader in organizing the Alabama State Medical Association and instrumental in passing . . . — Map (db m83580) HM
This boulder marks the site of the Selma Navy Yard and the Ordnance Works destroyed by the Federals 1865This tablet is placed in honor of the memory
of hundreds of faithful men who made these
great works a base for war material for the
entire . . . — Map (db m37688) HM
One of the finest examples of neo-classic architecture in the South; designed by Thomas Helm Lee for Edward T. Watts. Completed in 1853.
Sold 1864 to John M. Parkman,
1870 to Emile Gillman.
Purchased in 1957 through a bequest from Robert . . . — Map (db m37649) HM
Side A The earliest Jewish settlers came to Selma prior to the Civil War, some as early as the 1830’s. A group of Jewish citizens assembled as the Mishkan Israel Congregation and began meeting in private homes in 1867. The congregation was . . . — Map (db m37677) HM
Edgar Cayce (1877-1945), was internationally accepted as an extremely gifted psychic. An humble man, he never profited materially from his psychic ability, but used it to help “make manifest the love of God and man.” Operated his . . . — Map (db m83680) HM
This Italianate style cottage was built in 1859 by C. B. and Martha Todd White. Mrs. White, half sister of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln, was an outspoken Southern patriot, who subjected the Lincolns to severe criticism, when the Northern press accused her . . . — Map (db m38274) HM
The mission was established in 1823 by the American Board of Missions to further education and Christianity among the Cherokee Indians. Mission operated until the Indian removal in 1838.
Grave site of Reverend Ard Hoyt, first superintendent, . . . — Map (db m28035) HM
In the fall of 1902, Captain William Patrick Lay, of Gadsden, began construction of a small hydro electric generating plant at the site of Wesson Mill on Big Wills Creek, just southwest of Attalla. The plant was constructed, in Lay’s words, . . . — Map (db m83730) HM
The Eleventh Street School, built in 1907, was one of the earliest elementary schools in Gadsden. It is the only local surviving school building of that era.
This two-story red brick structure has solid masonry exterior walls and an entrance which . . . — Map (db m83734) HM
Here on the morning of May 2, 1863 Emma Sansom braved the fire of Colonel Streight’s sharpshooters as she guided General Nathan Bedford Forrest and his gallant cavalrymen to the ford at this spot where they crossed Black Creek, at that time a raging . . . — Map (db m39340) HM
In memory of the Gadsden Alabama girl heroine Emma Sansom, who when the bridge across Black Creek had been burned by the enemy, mounted behind Gen. Forest and showed him a ford where his command crossed. He pursued and captured that enemy and . . . — Map (db m12297) HM
This Italianate brick commercial structure with a cast-iron storefront on the first floor is significant for its 24 year association with Gadsden’s principal newspaper. It was constructed in 1904 to house The Gadsden Times-News, which was . . . — Map (db m39217) HM
In the early 1840’s, John S. Moragne, along with Gabriel and Joseph Hughes, began surveying for a city on the banks of the Coosa River near the settlement of Double Springs. The new city would be located on 120 acres of land at the . . . — Map (db m39139) HM
On January 25, 1925 the Sisters acquired the 25 - bed Gadsden General Hospital on Chestnut Street and renamed it Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. The Hospital grew under the leadership of the Founders, Father Thomas A. Judge, C. M. and Mother Mary . . . — Map (db m39141) HM
This is the site of the family home of Gadsden native General William Luther Sibert who played a major role in the construction of the Panama Canal. While serving in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, he was appointed chief engineer for the Atlantic . . . — Map (db m39253) HM
In 1867 a group of African American men and women laid the foundations for Freetown. William, John, Albert, George, Richard, and Peter Collins; Susan and Lawrence Moore; Thomas Jeffries; the children of John Jeffries; and Louisa . . . — Map (db m38192) HM
Birthplace, ancestral home of
Richard Pearson Hobson
Spanish - American War Hero
Admiral Hobson, as naval officer,
Statesman, lecturer and author,
Urged national preparedness:
Championed human welfare causes.
Alabama made . . . — Map (db m83755) HM
This parish established 1830.
Third oldest in Alabama diocese.
Church consecrated in 1843 by
Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana,
(later a Confederate general).
Here Nicholas H. Cobbs was chosen
first Bishop of Alabama in 1844. . . . — Map (db m33747) HM
Site of a prehistoric Native American political and ceremonial center from about A. D. 1100-1500 that, at its height in the 13th century, was America’s largest community north of Mexico. Between 1,000 and 3,000 people lived in this town fortified by . . . — Map (db m30700) HM
1834 - Organized as mission by Rev. Caleb S. Ives for settlers coming here to the Canebrake from Atlantic Seaboard
1844 - made parish of Diocese of Alabama
1851 - this site selected
1853-54 - this building erected — Map (db m38188) HM
Jackson County was created by the State Legislature on December 13, 1819 while in session in Huntsville, Ala. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson who was visiting in Huntsville at the time.
This Statue was presented by the . . . — Map (db m22262) HM
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — Map (db m22260) HM
This house was built in 1906 by architect William E. Benns for H. W. Sweet at a cost of $10,000. The house uniquely blended the Queen Anne and Neo-Classical architectural styles, featuring two identical pedimented entrance porticos supported by . . . — Map (db m27024) HM
Union Baptist Church was organized in 1834 by 18 or 20 members from Canaan Church. The Libscomb area was then known as East End. Members of the Rockett and Ware families donated the original two acreas of this site and a log cabin, which served as . . . — Map (db m24352) HM
The Fourth Avenue "Strip" thrived during a time when downtown privileges for blacks were limited. Although blacks could shop at some white-owned stores, they did not share the same privileges and services as white customers, so they created tailor . . . — Map (db m26985) HM
Side A The Elyton Land Company, which had founded the city of Birmingham in 1871, established a subsidiary, the Birmingham Water Works Company in 1887. Dr. Henry M. Caldwell, President of the Elyton Land Company, contracted with Judge A. O. . . . — Map (db m83806) HM
The technology of casting molten iron into bars called pigs changed dramatically over the years. Prior to 1931 casting at Sloss took place inside the cast shed. Men cut molds into the sand floor of the shed, allowing the . . . — Map (db m69083) HM
On Mother's Day, May 14, 1961, a group of black and white CORE youth on a "Freedom Ride" from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans arrived by bus at the Birmingham Greyhound terminal. They were riding through the deep south to test a court case, "Boynton . . . — Map (db m83809) HM
To Be Opened March 1, 2022
Dedicated at the construction completion March 1, 2002
Owners - BLH Group, LLC
Brookmont Investors II, LLC
Spire Holdings, LLC
Developer - Brookmont Realty Group, LLC
General . . . — Map (db m27010) HM
Disabled American Veterans Formed December 25, 1920.
Birmingham Chapter No. 4 Chartered January 25, 1926.
This Memorial Dedicated To Our Military Forces And To All Who Have Given Their Blood And Lives That The Republic Might Live . . . — Map (db m24347) WM
Dr. Ruth J. Jackson
This woman of strength and vision graduated from the Poro School of Cosmetology, the first black registered school in the State of Alabama. At the vanguard of the Civil Rights Movement, she was . . . — Map (db m27090) HM
Eddie James Kendrick, nicknamed "cornbread", was born the eldest of five children to Johnny and Lee Bell Kendrick in Union Springs, Alabama.
After attending Western-Olin High School in Ensley, Alabama, Eddie was persuaded by his childhood . . . — Map (db m26724) HM
Prior to 1900 a "black business district" did not exist in Birmingham. In a pattern characteristic of Southern cities found during Reconstruction, black businesses developed alongside those of whites in many sections of the . . . — Map (db m83830) HM
Businesses that occupied this building between 1908 - 1970
1908 - 1913 Southern Bell Telephone Company Stockroom
1915 - 1926 OK French Dry Cleaning Company
1927 - 1938 George Kanelis Billiards
1940 - 1945 Alex’s Steak House
1946 - . . . — Map (db m27521) HM
In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with . . . — Map (db m27096) HM
Created 1972 by the Jefferson County Historical Commission, the district is based on this avenue. Morris Avenue was named for one of the founders of Birmingham, Josiah Morris, who paid $100,000 for 4,157 acres of the original site of the city in . . . — Map (db m27156) HM
Built by Birmingham industrialist A. H. “Rick” Woodward, Rickwood Field served as home to the Birmingham Barons and Birmingham Black Barons for most of the 20th century. Recognized as “America’s Oldest Baseball Park,” . . . — Map (db m83837) HM
The crossing of railroads in 1872 adjacent to this site gave rise to the industrial city of Birmingham. In 1881 Alabama railroad magnate and entrepreneur James Withers Sloss, capitalizing on the unusual coincidence of coal, iron ore and limestone in . . . — Map (db m23498) HM
This residential area was carved from the Joseph Riley Smith plantation, a 600 acre antebellum farm, one of the largest in 19th century Jefferson County. Smithfield lies to the west of Birmingham's city center on the flat land . . . — Map (db m26990) HM
The raw materials for making iron—iron ore, limestone and dolomite, and coke—came to Sloss by railroad and were stored in the stock bins below. An inclined, steam-driven "skip hoist" carried the stock to the top of the furnace and . . . — Map (db m83861) HM
In 1818 before Alabama, Jefferson County, Elyton or Birmingham existed, The Elyton Methodist Church was established on Center Street. It was moved to 14 Second Avenue, and in 1909, to its present site. Renamed in 1910 for Corilla Porter Walker . . . — Map (db m24348) HM
Samuel Massey and his brother - in - law, Duke William Glenn, first came to this Territory in February 1814 with Lt. Col Reuben Nash's Regt. South Carolina Volunteer Militia to help defeat the Creek Indians in the War of 1812. Samuel Massey returned . . . — Map (db m25088) HM
On Cahaba Mountain to the NW, springs form a fragile stream that grows as it carves through the steep, rocky terrain of Birmingham suburbs, flowing south on the Gulf Coastal Plain to the Alabama River, at the site of Alabama's first capital, . . . — Map (db m25110) HM
Established about 1850, Wear Cemetery is located off Old Springville Road to the northeast at Countryside Circle. In the 1800's the Wear family was among the first settlers of the community later known as Clay. Twenty-three remaining graves were . . . — Map (db m25113) HM
In the latter 1800s and early 1900s, the city of Graysville was called Gin Town. Because Graysville had the only cotton gin for miles around, the town and community grew. As the community grew, the need for businesses and houses of . . . — Map (db m43221) HM
In the early 1900's, among the many craftsmen who migrated south to build the booming industrial cities was Swedish brick mason A. G. Hallman. Hallman moved from the Lake Michigan area and purchased an acre of farmland along the north side of Oxmoor . . . — Map (db m26986) HM
Benjamin F. Roden formed the Clifton Land Company in 1886 to develop this area. The development was reorganized in 1889 as the South Birmingham Land Company.
Theodore Smith, nurseryman and florist, moved here from Bedford, New York in the 1880's . . . — Map (db m24344) HM
Union Hill Cemetery is the burial ground of many pioneers and early settlers of the Shades Valley area. It was established in the 1870s, but includes gravestones dating back to the early 1850s due to the relocation of two earlier, smaller cemeteries . . . — Map (db m83873) HM
This house was provided for the overseer of the 560-acre A. B. Howell Peach Orchard. William Morgan and William and Evan Hale were overseers. The house was purchased by John and Marie Taylor in 1989 and was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — Map (db m28494) HM
Staff Sergeant Henry E. Erwin
Citation: Staff Sergeant Henry Erwin, U.S. Army Air Corps, 52d Bombardment Squadron, 29th Bombardment Group, 314th Bombardment Wing, 20th Air Force. He was the radio operator of a B-29 airplane leading a group . . . — Map (db m83916) WM
Jonathan Bass was born January 30, 1837, in Jefferson County. His father arrived in Jefferson County in 1816, and Jonathan was a life-long resident. Although the Bass House was under construction as early as 1863, Jonathan left the farm to join the . . . — Map (db m24697) HM
Thomas Rowan, son of Irish immigrants who settled in St. Clair County, Alabama, purchased his first 130 acres at auction and built a house here by c. 1854 that probably forms the core of the two northeast rooms. Heir John Thomas Rowan and his wife, . . . — Map (db m24716) HM
Trussville was settled between 1816 and 1819 by a few settlers from the Carolinas prior to Alabama becoming the 22nd state in December 1819. The First Baptist Church, Cahaba, was organized in 1821. Trussville’s first postmaster in 1833 was Arthur . . . — Map (db m34338) HM
Vestavia Hills Baptist Church Vestavia Hills Baptist Church, constituted May 6, 1957, first met at Vestavia Hills City Hall. The church purchased the George Ward estate in 1958. On the property was Ward’s home, “Vestavia,” a replica . . . — Map (db m83931) HM
The University Chapel is the oldest public building in the city of Auburn. Built as a Presbyterian Church, the first service was held in the original Greek Revival-style building on September 13, 1851. Edwin Reese, spiritual leader . . . — Map (db m39831) HM
The Greek Revival rock and mortar house was built by Addison Frazer (1809-1873) between 1852 and 1854 and served as the center for a 2,000 acre cotton plantation. Frazer owned 100 slaves and was on the Board of Trustees of . . . — Map (db m25988) HM
Located on this 800 acre site was an enemy prisoner of war camp. Construction of Camp Opelika began in September 1942. The first prisoners, captured by the British, were part of General Erwin Rommel’s Africa Corps. The camp prisoner population was . . . — Map (db m85170) HM
Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1837 with 22 members as Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, . . . — Map (db m68097) HM
Before statehood, the Alabama Territory had only limited rights of self government. Between July 5 and August 2, 1819, forty-four delegates from across the Territory convened in Huntsville to draft a constitution for statehood. Lawyers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m26592) HM
On this site stood the Calhoun House, used as a Federal Courthouse, where desperado Frank James was tried and found not guilty, by jury trial, on April 25, 1884, for robbery of a government payroll near Muscle Shoals, Alabama, March 11, 1881. One of . . . — Map (db m27771) HM
This church which had its origins in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was first mentioned at a meeting of the Presbytery on April 7, 1812. It became known as First Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Huntsville, Alabama. In 1828 the first building . . . — Map (db m27782) HM
The First National Bank of Huntsville and its predecessors:
The National Bank of Huntsville
The Northern Bank of Alabama
(Operation suspended 1863-1865)
The Branch of the State Bank of Huntsville
1833-1852 . . . — Map (db m27852) HM
Housed on this site in brick building
44 ft. x 54 ft
Chartered by Mississippi Territorial Legislature December 11, 1816
Commenced operations October 17, 1817, shortly thereafter made depository for Huntsville Federal Land Office funds. . . . — Map (db m27785) HM
Harrison Brothers, the oldest operating hardware store in Alabama, was founded in 1879 when James B. Daniel and T. Harrison opened a tobacco shop on Jefferson Street. In 1897 they purchased this building on South Side Square and expanded into the . . . — Map (db m27791) HM
Site of Hotel Monte Sano, built in 1887 by the North Alabama Improvement Company with the assistance of Michael and James O’Shaughnessy. The 233-room hotel opened on June 1, 1887 and served as a health resort and haven for famous visitors including . . . — Map (db m27796) HM
Built 1819 by H. C. Bradford, this home was later owned by John Read, John McKinley, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court (1837-1852), Bartley M. Lowe, M. C. Betts and Marie Howard Weeden (1846-1905) whose poetry and paintings preserve nineteenth . . . — Map (db m27841) HM
This plaque was placed here by
Citizens of Huntsville and
Madison County, Alabama,
In Honor Of
Major General H.N. Toftoy, USA.
Who was Commanding General
of Redstone Arsenal
from September 1, 1954, to March 31, 1958.
It was unveiled . . . — Map (db m27906) HM
The Monte Sano Railway ran from the Huntsville Depot up Monte Sano Mountain along what became Bankhead Parkway through Monte Sano State Park to the 19th century Hotel Monte Sano. The Baldwin Engine and three cars stopped at Laura’s View Station. The . . . — Map (db m27856) HM
The light beacon and fog bell in Big Springs International Park were presented as a gift from Norway in 1973.
The light beacon served as one of the guiding lights to the mariner from 1903 to 1966 being situated on the west coast of Norway at . . . — Map (db m85545) HM
Organized as a Christian Church, this is the original congregation of what is now the Church of Christ in Huntsville. A gospel meeting was held in the Courthouse in 1883, conducted by James A. Harding, evangelist and founder of Harding College and . . . — Map (db m27899) HM
On this site, inventor and early aviation pioneer William Lafayette Quick and his sons designed and built the first airplane to be flown in the State of Alabama. Construction began in 1900. Awaiting an engine, it took nearly eight years to complete. . . . — Map (db m85841) HM
Side A Charter members 1839:
John B. Cook (first elder)
Mary S. Cook
Eleanor L. Lucy
Mariah S. Tillinghast
Benajah P. Whitlow
Eliza A. Whitlow
First resident pastor (1846-53);
. . . — Map (db m38010) HM
Side A Establishing a history of theaters in this district, the Braswell Theater introduced its ornate interior to
Demopolis on October 23, 1902, with a performance of
the melodrama Unorna. Built by Frederick Henry Braswell in . . . — Map (db m85845) HM
Created in 1815 by proclamation of Governor of Mississippi Territory from lands ceded by Creek Indians in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
Named for President James Monroe, fifth President of U.S.., 1817-25, who purchased Florida from Spain, . . . — Map (db m47695) HM
Originally a part of the Mississippi Territory purchased from Spain in 1795, this area was inhabited and controlled by Indian Nations until 1814. Now safe from Indian uprisings, settlers migrated down the Old Federal Road as far as . . . — Map (db m86000) HM
The Old Monroe County Courthouse, designed by prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan, was built between 1903 and 1904 during the tenure of Probate Judge Nicholas Stallworth. One of two buildings of this type designed by Bryan (a sister courthouse . . . — Map (db m47688) HM
Built by Gen. Ferdinand L. Claiborne as a base for his invasion of the Alabama country with U.S. Regulars, Lower Tombigbee Militia, and friendly Choctaws. Claiborne’s campaign culminated in the American victory over the Creeks at the Holy Ground. — Map (db m47641) HM
The Alabama home of the commander of the Alamo. While living in this house Travis read law under The Hon. James Dellet of Claiborne, Al. In 1831, at the age of 22, he left Claiborne for Texas where he practiced law and became involved in the Texas . . . — Map (db m47644) HM
The first settlers came to this area in 1815. Major Walker built a grist mill and a log structure was built which served as a school and a religious meeting place for three different denominations. Settlers came to clear land and . . . — Map (db m86001) HM
For almost the first century of statehood, Alabama's governors lived in private homes or hotels while in office. In 1911 the state acquired the Moses Sable home on South Perry Street for the governor's residence. Lined with fine houses, Perry was . . . — Map (db m25413) HM
Alabama's First Capitals
On March 3, 1817, Congress designated the town of St. Stephens on the Tombigbee River north of Mobile as capital of the newly formed Alabama Territory. There in 1818, the territorial legislature named Huntsville as the . . . — Map (db m86063) HM
From Division Headquarters, located at this point from August 1917 to May 1918, was directed the training of the Thirty Seventh Division, National Guard Troops of Ohio, for Service in the World War.
The Relief map below indicates the locations . . . — Map (db m38899) HM
Side A Named for Union General and Freemen’s Bureau Agent Wager Swayne, Swayne College was dedicated 21 April 1869. The Bureau appropriated $10,000 for the building and the local black community purchased 3.5 acres for the site. Future . . . — Map (db m28171) HM
Transportation center of Montgomery located in this area for many years. First steamboat, the "Harriet," landed nearby 1821. City wharf constructed at landing place 1823. First railroad, Montgomery & West Point R.R., developed ca. 1840. By 1900 most . . . — Map (db m86470) HM
As Hood’s Army of Tennessee encircled Decatur, sharpshooters advanced upon the Union defenses. Colonel Doolittle’s men responded with heavy artillery and musket fire. During the early afternoon of October 27, the Confederates approached the Federal . . . — Map (db m28241) HM
This Greek Revival mansion belonged to Dr. Aaron Adair Burleson and his wife, Janet, during the Civil War. Part of an original 778-acre land grant, the brick home covered by Flemish bond, features 18-inch thick walls and contains one of the . . . — Map (db m28245) HM
For whom this lake in Tennessee River is named lived 1836-1906. His home 16 miles west. Lt. Gen. in Confederate Army 1864-5. Maj. Gen. U. S. Army 1898. Named by Alabama to Hall of Fame, Washington, 1922. — Map (db m27760) HM
Following the fall of Atlanta on September 2, 1864, Confederate General John Bell Hood, Commander of the Army of Tennessee, began a series of maneuvers against the Union line of supply running from Atlanta through Northwest Georgia, North Alabama, . . . — Map (db m28208) HM
Named in honor of
W. W. “Barney” Benson, Supt. Ed. 1927 - 38
H. L. “Shorty” Ogle, Coach 1934 - 64
Aubrey Fuller, Asst. Coach 1929 - 58
The “T” formation was introduced to Alabama here in 1941
On . . . — Map (db m28268) HM
Built circa 1837 with special taxes levied for that purpose by Alabama Legislature, 1836.
Replaced first court house, built circa 1825.
Somerville was incorporated, 1819, county seat 1819-1891. Cotaco County created February 8, 1818, renamed . . . — Map (db m27758) HM
This church was the outgrowth of a meeting held on December 25, 1829 by Rev. M. Snider and John Carnally 7½ mi. S.W. of Troy. Approximately fourteen members and a Rev. Sayles formally organized the church in the Fall of 1830. It was known as . . . — Map (db m39014) HM
Built in 1997, the Hall of Honor is named to honor three key leaders of Troy University: two Chancellors - Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr. and Dr. Ralph W. Adams and the longtime leaders of the “Sound of the South” Marching Band and Director . . . — Map (db m38942) HM
Originally constructed as the home field for the university’s football and baseball teams. Pace Field, home of the Troy Trojans and the Troy baseball team in the late 1930s and 1940s, stood at the location of the current Riddle - Pace Field. It is . . . — Map (db m38935) HM
Near here was the home of Confederate Brigadier General James Cantey who arrived in 1849 to operate a plantation owned by his father. Prior to coming to Russell County he had practiced law at his birthplace, Camden, South Carolina, and had . . . — Map (db m81715) HM
from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
Named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, hero of Revolution, governor of Northwest Territory.
First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia - veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14. . . . — Map (db m28143) HM
In 1870 St. Clair Co. was still under Radical Republican Reconstruction. On August 20, 1870 honorable men of the County (former Confederates) had decided to hold the first Democratic Convention after the War Between the States. The meeting would be . . . — Map (db m28142) HM
John Looney and son, Henry, served in General Andrew Jackson's volunteer company which built Fort Strother on Coosa River and later fought at Horseshoe Bend in 1814. Looney's family of nine moved from Maury Co. Tenn. to homestead 1817 in St. Clair . . . — Map (db m24066) HM
Greek revival antebellum home built by Moses Dean in 1852, acquired by John W. Inzer in 1866. Home occupied by Inzer family from 1866 to 1987. In July 1987 home and its contents, including extensive law library, deeded by family heirs to St. Clair . . . — Map (db m28092) HM
Original log house of worship built St. Clair
Co. near Broken Arrow Creek, six miles from
Coosa River. Named Harkey’s Chapel for first
Minister, the Rev. David Harkey of Cahawba Circuit.
Present church built 1903-04 by A. I. Abels . . . — Map (db m28089) HM
Originally chartered as Mt. Zion Baptist Church.
Charter member and first pastor was Sion Blythe
who served for 17 years.
The oldest church in St. Clair County.
Presbyterian and Methodist denominations used
the church building before . . . — Map (db m37831) HM
Creek Indians once owned and hunted the land where the City of Chelsea now stands. In 1813, Andrew Jackson and his army won millions of acres of Creek land from the Indians at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, including the area where . . . — Map (db m38488) HM
Original seat of government of Shelby County established 1818 at Shelbyville (Pelham).
Moved to Columbiana 1826. First courthouse a small wooden building located on this site. Replaced 1854 by two-story brick structure which forms central portion . . . — Map (db m24203) HM
Near this site stood Shelbyville, A. T., first county seat of Shelby County; named for Isaac Shelby, governor of Tennessee. Shelby County was established February 7, 1818 by an act of the Alabama Territorial legislature. The first orphans’ court was . . . — Map (db m28441) HM
The Confederate Army established a soldier's home and hospital here (1863-1865) as a part of the CSA Camp Winn Training Site. Father Leray and the Sisters of Mercy staffed the hospital after fleeing Civil War destruction in Vicksburg, MS. They . . . — Map (db m24212) HM
Side A In 1919 a rooster sale organized by Frank Derby raised money to begin construction of a bridge over the Tombigbee River at Moscow Ferry. This was the last link in the completion of the Dixie Overland Highway between Savannah and San . . . — Map (db m38074) HM
Important Indian town for over 250 years and capital of Coosa province.
Visited by DeSoto in 1540, and later by Spanish, French, British colonial explorers and traders. Early writers tell of abundant food crops, wild and cultivated, . . . — Map (db m57994) HM
Named for the famous Spanish explorer who traveled through this area in 1540. Over its rich history it offered shelter for native Indians for centuries (a 2,000-year-old Woodland Period burial was excavated by archeologists in the mid-1960s), . . . — Map (db m45034) HM
Childersburg traces its heritage to the Coosa Indian village located in the area. DeSoto, accompanied by 600 men, began his march across North America in June 1539. Traveling from Tampa Bay, Florida, northward through what became the Southeastern . . . — Map (db m45137) HM
Here in 1814 Tennessee Troops Joined Andrew Jackson's force which won the Creek Indian War.
After Indian removal in 1836 these veterans brought their families here, named this community for their old home in Tennessee. Fayetteville Academy . . . — Map (db m57993) HM
Following a fire in June 1902 that destroyed the Methodist Episcopal Church of the North Alabama Conference, along with most of downtown Alexander City, the church leadership chose to relocate to this site.
Construction began in 1903 on the . . . — Map (db m57995) HM
The transformation of Youngsville from a country hamlet to a market town can be traced from the arrival of the railroad. The Savannah and Memphis Railroad was completed from Opelika to the east side of the Tallapoosa River at Sturdivant in 1872. . . . — Map (db m28653) HM
Following the Creek Cession in 1832, settlers, mostly from Georgia and the Carolinas, occupied this section of the Creek Nation. Among the first settlers was James Young who purchased land a half-mile west near a trading post called Georgia Store. . . . — Map (db m28658) HM
Lyman Ward Military Academy was founded in 1898 as the Southern Industrial Institute by Dr. Lyman Ward, a Universalist minister from New York. Dr. Ward established SII to educate the poor children of Alabama, many of whom had few opportunities due . . . — Map (db m25501) HM
Having maintained for a few minutes a very obstinate contest, muzzle to muzzle, through the port-holes, in which many of the enemy's balls were welded to the bayonets of our musquets, our troops succeeded in gaining possession of the opposite . . . — Map (db m46676) HM
Leading the charge on the Indian defenses, Major Montgomery fell while storming the log barricade, Horseshoe Bend was his first battle. But the 28 year old Tennessean already a distinguished lawyer, was among the most promising of Jackson's officers. — Map (db m51667) HM
[The] high ground which extended about mid-way from the breastwork to the river was in some manner open, but the declivity and flat which surrounded it was filled with fallen timber, the growth of which was very heavy, and had been so arrayed . . . — Map (db m47498) HM
In this meadow 350 women and children, sheltered in the village of Tohopeka, listened to the sounds of battle drifting back from the barricade 1,000 yards away. Alarmed, they watched as enemy Cherokee and Lower Creek warriors crossed the river, . . . — Map (db m47469) HM
I never had such emotions as while the long roll was beating...It was not fear, it was not anxiety or concern of the fate of those who were so soon to fall but it was a kind of enthusiasm that thrilled through every nerve and animated me with . . . — Map (db m46675) HM
On the morning of the battle, Maj. Gen. Andrew Jackson’s Indian allies surrounded the lower portion of Horseshoe Bend.
The Cherokee were positioned across the river from where you stand; the Lower Creek were farther upriver to your left.
. . . — Map (db m47446) HM
2 ½ miles East - the beginning of Steel Industry in this area. Iron Ore, reduced by charcoal, hauled by oxcart, was made into plows, pots, cannon and munitions.
State Park- Camping, Nature Trails, Swimming and Fishing Early American . . . — Map (db m36927) HM
This important battery of charcoal blast furnaces ranked among the most productive in Alabama during the Civil War. The only three-furnace ironworks in the state during the war years, it was capable of producing 22 tons of pig iron a day for the . . . — Map (db m36209) HM
(Front):Home Guard Defended Covered Bridge3 April 1865 - Brig Gen John T. Croxton’s Cavalry Brigade departed camp at Johnson’s Ferry (Old Lock 17 area) to the Watermelon Road ending in Northport. As the Union troops entered Northport, the . . . — Map (db m35679) HM
James Shirley built this raised cottage in 1838, using Federal and Greek Revival detailing. Constructed of local handmade brick, it was home for him, his wife, Mary Ann Christian Shirley, and his mother, Elizabeth Shirley. James was town surveyor in . . . — Map (db m35384) HM
After the seat of government was moved to Montgomery in 1847, the Tuscaloosa Capitol and its furnishings were deeded to the University of Alabama to be used for educational purposes.
In 1857, the University Board of Trustees leased the building . . . — Map (db m29064) HM
Alpha Delta Pi, the first college secret sisterhood, was organized at Wesleyan Female College, Macon, Georgia, the first women's college to grant academic degrees. Originally identified as Adelpheans, the group had three thousand alumnae and sixty . . . — Map (db m28783) HM
Oldest existing Black Presbyterian Church in Alabama. Organized by Dr. Charles A. Stillman as Salem Church in December, 1880. First church building erected 9th Street and 30th Avenue in 1882. First pastors were Reverend B. M. Wilkinson (1889-90) and . . . — Map (db m40390) HM
One of four historic cemeteries located on the campus of Bryce Hospital, Alabama's oldest mental health facility, this cemetery was established in 1922 and was closed for burials in 1953. It contains approximately 1550 burials mostly marked with . . . — Map (db m40449) HM
The Chabannes - Sealy House was built in 1847 by Hollis C. Kidder. The house passed through several owners until it was sold in 1920 to Julia Nuzon Morris. Her daughter, Julia Morris, married Norbert Chabannes. That family lived here until the house . . . — Map (db m35323) HM
Organized November 1866, with 144 members. The Rev. Prince Murrell, first pastor, served until 1885. A church building located at corner of 4th Street and 24th Avenue was purchased and became place of worship during pastorate of the Rev. James . . . — Map (db m40408) HM
Zeta Chapter of Kappa Delta first national Greek letter sorority at the University of Alabama Chapter installed March 12, 1904. First members initiated in the Sigma Nu Hall by Katherine Lovejoy of Theta Chapter at Randolph-Macon Woman's College. . . . — Map (db m28782) HM
Margaret McLeod DuPont was born and raised in Tuscaloosa and graduated from the University of Alabama with a degree in Home Economics Education. She worked as a secretary for the Vice President of Reichhold Chemical and as a Stenographer for Mayor . . . — Map (db m35380) HM
Part of Marr’s Field, on farmland owned by William Marr, this spring was a major factor in the selection of this site for the University of Alabama campus in 1827. From its opening in 1831 well into the 20th century, the institution relied upon . . . — Map (db m40388) HM
Founded in Tuscaloosa on the campus of the University of Alabama on March 9, 1856. Its chapter designation, Alabama Mu, identifies it as the mother chapter of the national collegiate fraternity.
Noble Leslie DeVotie •
Nathan . . . — Map (db m29607) HM
Built on this site in 1936, Queen City Park Softball Field served as the cornerstone for the first successful community effort to promote the organized play of amateur softball in Tuscaloosa County. Its construction followed nationwide efforts to . . . — Map (db m28788) HM
Foster Auditorium is the site of the June 11, 1963, “stand in the schoolhouse door” by Governor George C. Wallace in defiance of a court order requiring The University of Alabama to admit African-American students Vivian Malone and James . . . — Map (db m37917) HM
Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years.
Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been . . . — Map (db m29403) HM
Founded as Tuscaloosa Institute 1876 by Presbyterian Church U.S. under leadership of Dr. Charles Allen Stillman, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Tuscaloosa, to train Black ministers. Renamed Stillman Institute 1894 for Dr. Stillman, first . . . — Map (db m35676) HM
The Gorgas House (1829)
First structure built on the original campus
The Round House (1860)
Used by cadets on guard duty, and another of the four buildings to survive the fires set by Federal troops in 1865.
Woods Hall . . . — Map (db m29396) HM
Erected: 1888 Reconstructed: 2002
Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey.
Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began . . . — Map (db m29400) HM
This stone commemorates the
City of Tuscaloosa as the second
state capital, January 1826
to January 1846.
Erected by the Alabama Centen-
nial Commission and the citizens of
Tuscaloosa, and dedicated December
14, 1919. On . . . — Map (db m28996) HM
Organized 1818 by Ebenezer Hearn. First building on this site erected in 1834 included a church bell moulded in Boston by coppersmiths Paul Revere and Sons. Present structure with marble Ionic columns was constructed 1922; Education Annex in 1953; . . . — Map (db m35344) HM
Buried near this plaque are Jack Rudolph and William “Boysey” Brown, two slaves owned by University of Alabama faculty, and William J. Crawford, a University student who died in 1844.
Rudolph was born in Africa about 1791 and died . . . — Map (db m40389) HM
Named for Alva Woods (1794-1887), First President of the University of Alabama, 1831-1837.
Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in . . . — Map (db m29221) HM
Prairie Mission was established in 1894 by the Freedmen’s Board of the United Presbyterian Church of North America to educate the children of ex-slaves. The Mission consisted of a church, school building, dormitories for male and female students, a . . . — Map (db m38496) HM
The Town of Pine Apple was settled by 1816, originally named Friendship in the 1820s and later designated Pine Apple by the United States Post Office in 1851. Pine Apple was incorporated on February 24, 1872. The following . . . — Map (db m47706) HM
Founded in 1825, the town of Pine Apple became a regional commercial center due to its strategic location as the end of the Selma to Pensacola Railroad line from 1871 to the 1890s. The progressive spirit of Pine Apple during the centennial period . . . — Map (db m47799) HM
The Community’s first four settlers homesteaded land near this site in 1832. The little log schoolhouse, just 18 feet square, was built in 1874. The land, given by L. F. Hembree, is now the site of Bethel Cemetery. With no heat, a dirt floor, and . . . — Map (db m42861) HM
Originally known as Dismal School. Built of pine logs in 1900 on 1½ acres of land given by Zeb Humphreys, the building was about 20 feet square. Seats were rough board benches without backs. Students gathered pine knots to burn in the heating . . . — Map (db m42862) HM
Dr. John Gorrie (1803-1855) was an early pioneer in the invention of the artificial manufacture of ice, refrigeration, and air conditioning. He was granted the first U.S. patent for mechanical refrigeration on May 6, 1851 (U.S. Patent No. 8080). Dr. . . . — Map (db m27028) HM
During the 1830's, when the cotton port of Apalachicola was rapidly expanding. David G. Raney built a rather plain, Federal style house at this site. Around 1850, A two - story portico and other features of the then popular Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m26663) HM
684 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 484