Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

623 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 423
 
A. A. & Mary Spacek House image, Touch for more information
By Keith Peterson, May 17, 2007
A. A. & Mary Spacek House
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14948 — Andrew Jackson HamiltonJanuary 28, 1815 – April 11, 1875
A native of Alabama, Andrew Jackson Hamilton moved his family to Texas in the 1840s. He served as State Attorney General and as a member of the State Legislature before being elected to the U.S. Congress in 1859. An opponent of secession, he left . . . — Map (db m25682) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15335 — Andrew Jackson Zilker
Voted Austin's most worthy citizen twice, Indiana native Andrew Jackson Zilker (1858-1934) grew up with a strong respect for the laborers along the Ohio River. He came to Austin penniless in 1876 but quickly became a businessman and bank director. . . . — Map (db m25697) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6442 — Ashford McGill HouseZilker Park Refectory
Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native limestone structure and the surrounding property were purchased by Andrew J. Zilker who conveyed the land to the city for a park in 1931. Remodeled by the Federal Civil . . . — Map (db m25701) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6449 — Austin High SchoolA Centennial of Public High School Education
Tax supported, locally controlled secondary education began in Austin in 1881 with the establishment of a high school department in the city school district. Plans for implementing the program were developed under the leadership of school board . . . — Map (db m25705) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15050 — Bailey Hardeman
A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. Secretary of the Treasury of the Republic. Born in Tennessee, 1795. Died on Caney Creek , Matagorda County October 12, 1836 — Map (db m25688) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15300 — Capt. and Mrs. Chauncey Johnson
Here sleep Capt. and Mrs. Chauncey Johnson. Capt. Johnson was born in Burlington, Vermont May 1, 1798. Served in the War of 1812. Came to Texas in 1840. Captured by General Adrian Woll at San Antonio, September 11, 1842 and imprisoned in Mexico. . . . — Map (db m25696) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14871 — Captain Andrew Briscoe
Born in Mississippi November 25, 1810. Came to Texas in 1833. A volunteer in the Army at Anahuac, 1835. Commanded a company at the Capture of San Antonio, 1835. Signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Commanded a company at San Jacinto. First . . . — Map (db m25676) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13928 — Central Presbyterian Church
This congregation traces its roots to October 13, 1839, when Austin’s first Presbyterian worship service was held at Bullock’s Hotel. Present that day was builder Abner Cook, elder in the first Presbyterian church organized in Austin. He helped . . . — Map (db m25633) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14473 — Daniel Shipman
Participated in the disturbance at Anahuac June, 1832 and the storming and capture of Bexar, December 5 to 10, 1835. Born in North Carolina February 20, 1801. Died in Goliad County, Texas March 4, 1881. Eliza Hancock Shipman Wife of Daniel . . . — Map (db m25666) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14416 — Decker United Methodist Church and Community
First settlers in this area on Decker Creek were Swedish immigrants, who attended church in Austin from 1867 to 1870s. Beginning in 1871, the Rev. C.C. Charnquist of Austin preached in homes. With advent of more settlers, a church was erected and . . . — Map (db m25665) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13778 — Del Valle Army Air Base(Bergstrom Air Force Base)
Following the U.S. entry into World War II, the Army Air Corps established a base here in the Del Valle community on land once a part of the Santiago del Valle Mexican land grant. The City of Austin purchased 3,000 acres to lease to the federal . . . — Map (db m25631) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14668 — Denny-Holliday House
This structure originated as a one-story limestone dwelling. Built between 1869 and 1871 by Charles Denny. Mrs N.L. Holliday, a widow with six children, purchased the house in 1898 and added the second floor in 1906. The residence was later occupied . . . — Map (db m25669) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13931 — Driskill Hotel
Built 1885-86 by Col. Jesse L. Driskill (1824-1890), cattle king who moved to Austin in 1869. Brick dressed with limestone. Had three grand entrances – one the largest arched doorway in Texas. “Ladies’ Entrance” was on northeast, . . . — Map (db m25634) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15042 — Elvira T. Manor Davis House
Elvira T. Manor Davis (1841-1918) was reared in east Travis County near present-day Manor, Texas. Named for her father, she married Blackstone H. Davis whose family owned quarry, supplied stone for the 1853 Texas Capitol. Elvira widowed and the . . . — Map (db m25687) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13935 — First Classes of the University of Texas Law School
The University of Texas held its first classes in the temporary capitol at this site on Sept. 15, 1883. Fifty-two of the 218 original students were registered in the law department. They were taught by former Governor of Texas Oran M. Roberts . . . — Map (db m25647) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14828 — French Legation
Erected in the year 1841 by Conte Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, Charge D’Affaires for King Louis Philippe of France, to the Texas Republic. He lived here 1841-1842. House constructed of Bastrop pine, in Louisiana Bayou style. Furnishings include . . . — Map (db m25673) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15113 — Gen. George W. Terrell
Born in Kentucky 1803. Came to Texas in 1840 from Mississippi. Associate Justice, Supreme Court, 1840. Secretary of State, 1841. Attorney General, 1841-42. Charge d'affairs of the Republic of Texas to England, France and Spain 1844-45. Died in . . . — Map (db m25693) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6438 — Goodman Building
Probably constructed in the early 1890s, this commercial building is noted for its decorative brickwork and iron railing. Built for grocer Joseph Goodman, the main floor served as his store until 1924. The upper floor was used from 1892 until about . . . — Map (db m25700) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6444 — Green Pastures
This Victorian home, located on the 1835 Isaac Decker Grant, was built in 1894-95 by Dr. E. W. Herndon and sold in 1912 to Judge W. W. Burnett. It became the residence in 1916 of lawyer Henry Faulk (1867-1939), his wife Martha (Miner) (1878-1957), . . . — Map (db m25702) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14700 — Henry G. Madison Cabin
Built about 1863 at 807 east 11th Street; homestead of Henry Green Madison (1843-1912), policeman and farmer, his wife Louise, and their eight children. In 1886, Madison built a frame house enclosing the cabin, which remained hidden until a razing . . . — Map (db m25672) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15075 — John Edward Lewis
A member of Captain W. J. F. Heard's Company in the Battle of San Jacinto. Born in New York City, October 3, 1808, died April 1, 1892. His wife Anna (Scott) Lewis Born in Albany, N. Y. 1812 died May 24, 1896. — Map (db m25690) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15538 — John Litton
A soldier of the San Jacinto Army. Born in South Carolina 1812. Died July 4, 1856. — Map (db m25595) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13522 — King-Von Rosenberg House
In 1916, the heirs of Gov. Elisha Pease established the Enfield Realty and Home Building Company and began dividing the Pease estate into what would become Austin’s Enfield neighborhood. Six years later, Belmont “Belle” Graham, a cousin . . . — Map (db m25627) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15110 — Las Ventanas
Built 1875-1876 by A.J. Jernigan, Travis County Treasurer, 1873-1888 and 1894-1896; of handmade, sun dried brick in transitional style between Greek Revival and Victorian period, 1880's-1890's. Name - meaning “the windows” - is for . . . — Map (db m25691) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — Mount Bonnell
Rising 775 feet above sea level, this limestone height was named for George W. Bonnell, who came to Texas with others to fight for Texas independence, 1836. Was commissioner of Indian Affairs in Republic of Texas under president Sam Houston. Moved . . . — Map (db m20136) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15031 — Mount Olive Baptist Church
The Mount Olive Baptist Church congregation was organized March 3, 1889, in the vicinity of Masontown, one of Austin's earliest African settlements. The early years of the congregation coincided with a period of intense optimism and community . . . — Map (db m25685) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13620 — Norwood Tower
This building was once the tallest structure in Austin’s downtown area other than the State Capitol. Dwarfed by other structures by the late 20th century, the Norwood Tower remains unique in its design and elaborate detailing. In 1925, Ollie O. . . . — Map (db m25630) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15479 — O. Henry HallThe University of Texas System
Built during the period 1877-1881 as a federal courthouse and post office, this was the sixth United States Post Office location in Austin, dating from the establishment of the first post office in Austin in 1840. The building was constructed by . . . — Map (db m25587) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14309 — Oakwood Cemetery
In 1839, when Austin was being opened as a site favored for the Capital of the Republic of Texas, a regular burial place was established in what is now the southwest part of Oakwood Cemetery. A decedent was buried on this hill at a spot to the right . . . — Map (db m25661) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14191 — Original Site of First Baptist Church of Austin
The Rev. R.H. Taliaferro of Kentucky organized the First Baptist Church in July 1847. Worship services were first held in the Capitol and later moved to a frame building at 12th and Lavaca. The congregation met in the 700 block of Congress Avenue . . . — Map (db m25648) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14891 — Philip Walker
A soldier in the Army of Texas. Arrived at San Jacinto April 22, 1836. Born in South Carolina March 11, 1815. Died in Johnson County, Texas July 11, 1897. His wife Elizabeth (Cooper) Walker. Born in Tennessee October 21, 1827. Died in Johnson . . . — Map (db m25677) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15196 — Philquist-Wood House
Sweden native Sven Axel Philquist, local district clerk and later clerk of the Texas Supreme Court, hired Swedish builder F. Oscar Blomquist to build this family home in 1912. Following several subsequent owners, grocer Sam Wood purchased the house . . . — Map (db m25695) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13859 — Randerson-Lundell Building
Cornelius Randerson erected a one-story structure here in 1896 to house a grocery, feed, and wagon yard. John and Claus Lundell purchased the building in 1898 and in 1910 a second floor was added to board customers overnight. It remained in the . . . — Map (db m25632) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15644 — Scottish Rite Temple
Built 1871-72 as an opera house by Austin Turn Verein, a German social society. Used for gymnastics, feasting and dancing, it was a social center for years. Purchased in 1912 for Ben Hur Shrine temple and remodeled, blending Southwest Mission . . . — Map (db m25599) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15486 — St. Martin’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
This property, once situated just outside Capitol Square at 106 East Peach Street (Later 13th), was the original location of the German Evangelical Lutheran Church (“Die Deutsche Evangelish Lutherische Kirche”). Pastor Henry Merz . . . — Map (db m25590) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14680 — Swedish Consulate and Swante Palm Library
Swante Palm (1815-1899), Vice Consul for Sweden and Norway from 1866 until his death, built a small house on Ash Street (now 9th Street) in the 1850s. It was a repository for Palm’s extensive book collection and served as the Swedish Consulate, . . . — Map (db m25671) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14936 — SweetbrushThe Swisher-Scott House
Banker John Milton Swisher (1819-1891) built this residence in 1853 in the 400 block of San Antonio St. Noted architect-builder Abner Cook designed the Greek Revival house. In the 1920s, Dr. and Mrs. Z.T. Scott found the building in deteriorated . . . — Map (db m25681) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 13458 — Texas School for the Deaf
In 1856, the Texas Legislature established the Texas Deaf and Dumb Asylum, which became the Texas School for the Deaf (TSD). Gov. Elisha M. Pease appointed a board of trustees, which rented land at this site. By January 1, 1857, the first day of . . . — Map (db m25624) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6448 — The Johnson Home
Erected 1858 by Chas. Johnson, near the Wm. McGill Ford on the Colorado River. Built by fellow Swedes, of native stone from his own quarry and lime kiln. Walls are 18 inches thick. A stone-paved breezeway joined the two wings of the building. . . . — Map (db m25703) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14568 — The Texas Capitol
Austin became the Capital of Texas Jan. 19, 1840, and this hill was platted as Capitol Square. A modest statehouse built here in the 1850s soon developed structural flaws. The Constitutional Convention of 1876 set aside about 3,000,000 acres of . . . — Map (db m25667) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 15026 — The Woman Suffrage Movement in Texas
Legal efforts to enfranchise women in Texas can be traced to 1868, when Rep. T.H. Mundine of Burleson introduced a Woman Suffrage Bill in the State Legislature. In the following five decades Texas women formed suffrage organizations to lobby for the . . . — Map (db m25684) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14277 — Thomas Jones Hardeman
(front) Born in Tennessee January 31, 1788 Died in Bastrop County, Texas January 11, 1854. His wife Eliza De Witt Hardeman Born Sept. 17, 1809 Died Feb. 8, 1863. (back) Member Second Congress Republic of Texas; . . . — Map (db m25650) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14898 — Thompson Home
Painting contractor John W. Thompson married Jennie L. Metz in 1877. They built this home in the Robertson Hill development, a fashionable neighborhood of the day. The simple Victorian residence has an unusual porch railing and decorative trim. The . . . — Map (db m25679) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14935 — TMI Castle
Founded in 1868 in Bastrop, the Texas Military Institute moved to Austin in 1870. The same year, this Victorian “Castle” was built to serve as headquarters for the young men’s preparatory school. Prominently sited on top of a hill in . . . — Map (db m25680) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6421 — Wahrenberger House
Charles Klein bought house from F. Huster, 1868. Leased it to German-American Ladies College (1873-90). Texas German and English Academy (1880-81) and deeded it, 1882, to daughter, Caroline (1834-19), widow of John Wahrenberger (1812-64). Early . . . — Map (db m25698) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 14858 — West-Bremond Cottage
Built as servants’ quarters about 1872, this “Shotgun” house stood at 604 San Antonio near the home of Charles S. West (1829-1885), lawyer and Texas Supreme Court Justice. In 1885 banker Eugene Bremond (1832-1910) acquired it. Emma Grant . . . — Map (db m25674) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6427 — Zachary Taylor FulmoreNov. 11, 1846 - June 23, 1923
Jurist, educator and author born in North Carolina, he came in 1870 to Texas, where he married Luella Robertson, granddaughter of founder of Robertson Colony. Practiced law in Austin; also filled numerous commitments to State and City: Chairman, . . . — Map (db m25699) HM
Texas (Travis County), Pflugerville — 13542 — Bohls House
Gottlieb William Bohls (1878-1961), the oldest of Heinrich and Julie Schroeder Bohls’ ten children, was born on his family’s farm near this site. In 1906, G.W. married Bertha Timmerman (1883-1967), and five years later they purchased a 95-acre farm . . . — Map (db m25629) HM
Texas (Travis County), Pflugerville — 15053 — Pflugerville
Henry Pfluger (1803-67), who migrated from Germany to Texas in 1849-50, moved his large family here in 1853. Other settlers joined them, and in 1872 a school was begun on Henry Lisso's farm. Immanuel Lutheran Church was founded in 1874. Primarily a . . . — Map (db m25689) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 9029 — Andice Baptist Church
The Rev. Freeman Smalley, one of the first Baptists in Texas, preached in this area about 1850. This church was organized about 1851, meeting in a log schoolhouse built by Joshua Stapp and others, 1854-76; in a new school building, 1876-94; and in a . . . — Map (db m2245) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 9094 — Fore Cemetery
Wiley Fore and his family came to this area from Alabama in 1883. The Baker community had been started two years earlier by Fore's nephew, Robert Baker, and his family. Soon after his arrival Fore organized the Bethel Cumberland Presbyterian Church . . . — Map (db m3562) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 13762 — Rocky Hollow Cemetery
[Original marker text. Marker has been missing since 1997.] In the 1850s, a group of pioneer Black slaves came to this area from Union County, Arkansas, and founded what is now known as the Rocky Hollow Community. This cemetery soon was . . . — Map (db m25317) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 9293 — Site of Loafer's Glory Apostolic Church
Loafer’s Glory Apostolic Church was organized in 1908 after Wesleyan Holiness preacher George Sutton conducted a revival at Loafer’s Glory School on Wilson Atwood’s farm. Beginning in 1909, evangelist Fred Lohmann served as minister and conducted . . . — Map (db m25397) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Andice — 13803 — Smart-McCormick Home
Built by Bryce M. Smart (1816-1880), who had a grist mill, tannery, freight line. His children rescued newborn calves abandoned on nearby Chisholm Trail. McCormicks, 5th generation descendants, now own home. — Map (db m24905) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Austin — 9325 — Pond Springs Community and School
After James O. Rice settled in the 1850s near a spring-fed pond, the area was called “Pond Springs”. By 1854 a log school building was erected near the pond (1 Mi. N) and also served for worship and a social center. Thomas S. Rutledge . . . — Map (db m24934) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9028 — Elisha Allen(December 16, 1813 – March 6, 1893)
A native of Louisiana, Elisha Allen moved with his parents in 1827 to what is now Orange County. When the Texas Revolution began, Allen joined the army and fought at the Siege of Bexar, Dec. 5-6, 1835. He explored the Texas frontier with a survey . . . — Map (db m3208) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 9089 — First National Bank of Bartlett
Jesse L. Bailey (1848-1926) and his son Charles C. Bailey (1871-1947) opened a private bank in conjunction with a mercantile business in Bartlett in 1898. J. L. Bailey and Son, Bankers, was replaced by the First National Bank of Bartlett in 1900. . . . — Map (db m25295) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 12304 — Mount Arie (Mount Ararat) Missionary Baptist Church
Bartlett was a small farming community in 1898. Black American laborers arrived each fall for the cotton harvest. Thomas Sanders and Nelson Secret and their families called the Reverend F. E. Garrett of Temple to help them establish Mount Arie . . . — Map (db m25424) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Bartlett — 12971 — Site of Bartlett Colored School
The farming community of Bartlett was founded in 1882 when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad reached the town, which is situated on the county line between Bell and Williamson counties. By 1912, a second railway served the town, and Bartlett . . . — Map (db m24959) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Beyersville — 12371 — Mager Cemetery
Reinhold Mager (1863-1930), a native of Brandenburg, Germany, came to Texas and married Franziska Krueger (1868-1951), a native of the Dessau community in nearby Travis County, Texas. The Magers donated one acre of their 150 acres of land here in . . . — Map (db m4690) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Cedar Park — 12994 — Champion Cemetery
John (Jack) Champion (1817–1908) was a native of York County, South Carolina. He moved to Texas by 1850, the year he and Naomi Jane Standefer (1834–1862) were issued a marriage license in Williamson County. In 1854, Champion bought more . . . — Map (db m2740) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Circleville — 9045 — Cotton Cards Factory
Near this site in 1862-65. Used power from the San Gabriel River. Chartered by Confederate Texas during re-tooling of agricultural economy to meet demands of the Civil War years. Because trade of bales of cotton for finished cloth was no longer . . . — Map (db m2644) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Coupland — 9335 — St. Peters United Church of Christ
This congregation was organized in 1894 by German and Swiss immigrants. Originally known as St. Petri Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde (St. Peters German Evangelical Church), the congregation built this vernacular Gothic Revival sanctuary in . . . — Map (db m25177) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Coupland — 9102 — United States Senator Morgan C. Hamilton
An outstanding patriot who acted as Secretary of War and Marine in Republic of Texas and later served the state in many roles, Morgan Hamilton in 1837 obtained a 1009-acre land grant in this area. While his brother A.J. Hamilton was Governor . . . — Map (db m24917) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Elgin — 13604 — Post Oak Island Lodge #181, A.F. & A.M.
Settled as early as the 1840s, Post Oak Island was one of this area’s earliest communities. There, on September 15, 1855, I.J. Kidd, T. Gatlin, P.A. Middleton, M. Gardner and A.S. Harper established a Masonic lodge. On February 2, 1856, the lodge . . . — Map (db m25033) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Elgin — 12309 — Type Cemetery
The earliest Anglo settlers of this area came to the vicinity in the 1840s. They called their community Post Oak Island for an isolated oak grove between Bastrop and Circleville. Many of these pioneers had moved on by the time Swedish and Danish . . . — Map (db m25511) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 9084 — Early Church
On land given March 8, 1845, by John C. Caskey for cemetery and meeting house. Originally 2-story, the native stone structure is believed to have been built before 1855, financed by J. W. Atkinson and Dr. O. Benedict. In that era it housed a school, . . . — Map (db m3096) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 12417 — First Baptist Church of Florence
Settlers in the farming and ranching community of Florence gathered in April 1856 to hear the Rev. Robert Hay Taliaferro (1824-1875) preach and help them formally organize a church. Originally known as the Baptist Church of Christ, the congregation . . . — Map (db m3303) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 14355 — First United Methodist Church of Florence
In 1856, Florence was a small settlement of log cabins and a store or two. It also has a stone building (300 ft. ESE), used as a church and meeting place, on land donated in 1845 by John C. Caskey. Before that time, settlers worshiped in homes and . . . — Map (db m25070) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Florence — 9257 — Lawler Community
      Founded before mid-1800s. Named for early settler L. T. "Uncle Lee" Lawler. Beloved by citizens, for years he leased land free to community for school, church, and cemetery.       First school, named for Edward Stevenson (land donor) . . . — Map (db m4456) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9039 — Burcham House
Designed by noted Austin architect Charles H. Page, this home was built for the family of Georgetown dentist William Joseph Burcham (1876–1932) in 1908–09. Both Dr. Burcham and his wife Mayme (1882–1962) were civic and cultural . . . — Map (db m2544) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13876 — C.A.D. Clamp(1827–1915)
Christian Augustus Daniel Clamp was born in Thorn, Prussia (now Torun, Poland). He came to Texas in 1846 and moved to Georgetown in 1851, a year after his marriage to Asenath C. Davis (d. 1917). A skilled carpenter and cabinetmaker, Clamp became one . . . — Map (db m2562) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13898 — Chief Justice John Edward Hickman(1883 - 1962)
A distinguished chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and a native of Williamson County. Descendant of 1849 settlers from Alabama, he was a son of Nathaniel Franklin and Mary J. Porterfield Hickman. He attended the Liberty Hill Normal . . . — Map (db m4764) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Cooper Sansom House
The Belford Lumber Co. built this home in 1910 for local attorney Cooper Sansom (1863–1928). A former newspaperman, Sansom served as city attorney and later as state representative and district judge. An active civic leader, he was also . . . — Map (db m2824) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13674 — David Love Store
South Carolina native David M. Love (1821–1892) was an early settler of Wiliamson County. He was engaged in farming and ranching before moving to Georgetown in the 1860s. A prominent local business leader, he had this Victorian commercial . . . — Map (db m2905) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Easley Home
A native of South Carolina, Samuel Allen Easley (1851–1933) came to Texas with his parents at the age of one. They settled on a large amount of acreage along the San Gabriel River in Williamson County. After managing the family farm for much . . . — Map (db m3160) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13893 — Emzy Taylor(1841–1895)
Arkansas native Emzy Taylor clerked in his father's Georgetown square mercantile store before serving as a Confederate Captain in the Red River valley during the Civil War. He married Margaret Henderson in 1864 while on furlough and after the war . . . — Map (db m3219) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13925 — Evangelical Free Church
Swedish immigrant settlers in Williamson County met together in homes for worship services as early as 1884. In 1891 this congregation was organized in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Sven Peterson by 21 charter members. Known as Brushy Evangelical Free . . . — Map (db m3242) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13603 — Farmers State Bank Building
The Merchants and Farmers Bank began in 1898 and incorporated as Farmers State Bank in 1905. In 1910, bank officers contracted for the building of a new bank onto existing commercial property at this site. Construction was finished in 1912. In the . . . — Map (db m3265) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — First Presbyterian Church
The Rev. William Mumford Baker presided over this congregation’s organization in 1854 at the Round Rock home of Richard and Mary Agnes (Cooper) Sansom. By 1856, the church was meeting in Georgetown, where C.A.D. Clamp deeded a site (at 4th and . . . — Map (db m3488) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9090 — First United Methodist Church of Georgetown
Founded in 1849 as Georgetown Mission, organized 1874 but still served then by circuit riders. This church acquired a resident pastor in 1879. Original building was erected in 1881-82 on the Southwestern University campus. The present church . . . — Map (db m3554) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13924 — Founding of Georgetown
According to local tradition Williamson County's first six commissioners met here under a stately oak tree in May 1848 to choose a location for the county seat. George Washington Glasscock, Sr., later joined them and offered to donate land he owned . . . — Map (db m3944) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9328 — G.W. Riley House
Built 1872 by the Rev. S. J. Lane, chaplain, Southwestern University; founder, First Methodist church, Georgetown. Bought 1903 by the Rev. George W. Riley (1853-1925), a grandson of Llano County Indians' 1859 victim, the Rev. Jonas Dancer. G. W. . . . — Map (db m3952) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9111 — George Irvine House
Scottish native George Irvine (1841-1936) built this two-story frame home for his family in 1886. The founder of the Irvine Brothers Lumber Co. (later the Belford Lumber Co.), Irvine was a civic leader who served on the school board, the city . . . — Map (db m4004) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13918 — Georgetown Fire House and Old City Hall
Designed by C.I. Belford and constructed in 1892 by C.W. Schell, this building originally housed the mayor's office, city council chambers, city jail, fire department, and the Georgetown Water Co. Over the years, it also has served as a meeting . . . — Map (db m4035) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9098 — Georgetown High School Building
Built in 1923-24 on the original site of Southwestern University, this structure served as Georgetown High School for over fifty years. Designed by Austin architect Charles H. Page and exhibiting influences of the Spanish Colonial Revival style of . . . — Map (db m4059) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13874 — H. C. Craig Bulding
Built in 1903, this ornate Victorian structure originally housed the furniture store of Hugh Clifford Craig (1850-1938). Craig sold his business to local competitor W.H. Davis in 1906, but retained ownership of the building. In 1936, after the Davis . . . — Map (db m25036) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9103 — Harrell-Stone House
Built about 1895 for lumberman Henry W. Harrell, this Victorian house resembles others erected in this neighborhood by the C. S. Belford Lumber Co. It was sold in 1907 to storekeeper W. F. Magee. In 1937 the structure was purchased by Judge Samuel . . . — Map (db m4220) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13871 — Iota ChapterKappa Sigma Fraternity
The Iota Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was chartered at Southwestern University on October 12, 1886. Iota became an official chapter on October 15, 1886, following the initiations of Iverson B. Lane, Jesse C. Baker, Jasper B. Gibbs, and John . . . — Map (db m4345) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9297 — J. A. McDougle Home
One of the many fine structures erected by C. S. Belford Lumber Co., this house was built in 1895 for grocer J. A. McDougle (d. 1939). the Victorian styling included ornate stained glass windows. The home was bought in 1901 by John R. Allen and in . . . — Map (db m4346) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — James B. Williams(1821-1891)
A pioneer of this region. Born in Madison County, Ky. With bride, Sarah Coffey, came to Texas in wagon train led by his father, Isaac, and including brothers David, John R., Kelse, and other kin. Moved to Berry’s Creek area on Dec. 24, 1848. Served . . . — Map (db m4361) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9042 — Jesse Cooper House
Tennessee native Jesse Eugene Cooper (1855–1944) came to Texas in 1876. The following year he helped establish a Georgetown newspaper, the “Williamson County Sun.” In addition to his role as editor, he also founded a local bank and . . . — Map (db m4375) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — John McQueen TaylorApril 24, 1812 – March 14, 1887
Tennessee native John McQueen Taylor came to Texas with his family in 1829 as a settler in the Empresario Grant of Lorenzo de Zavala. Taylor fought in the Anahuac disturbances of 1834 and later, as a soldier in the Texas army, he participated in the . . . — Map (db m23483) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12301 — Jonah Cemetery
Jonah Cemetery was established in 1902 when community leaders J. M. Barrington, W. S. McMakins, C. Brady, A. J. McDonald, and R. H. Northcutt purchased two acres near the San Gabriel River to be used as a cemetery. Burials were free to area . . . — Map (db m4407) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13919 — Judge Greenleaf Fisk — (May 19, 1807 – Jan. 26, 1888)
Born in Albany, New York, Greenleaf Fisk was the son of a Presbyterian minister. He began preparation for the ministry himself but left his studies to migrate to the Texas frontier. In 1834 he settled in Bastrop. There he joined a company of . . . — Map (db m4408) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13916 — Lesesne-Stone Building (The KGTN Building)
This limestone commercial structure was built in 1884 to house the Sanders & Lesesne Drugstore. It remained in use as a pharmacy for the next 76 years. William D. Nichols operated the drugstore from 1887 until 1892. In that year, Dr. Thomas B. Stone . . . — Map (db m4531) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13873 — M.B. Lockett Building
Located on the site of an 1840s store, this structure was built after the Civil War. In the 1880s it housed the mercantile firm of Rucker & Montgomery. Ohio native Melville Beveridge Lockett opened his store here in 1889 and remodeled the building . . . — Map (db m4608) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Macedonia Baptist Church
The earliest worship services of this congregation were held in 1881 under a back yard arbor at the home of Matilda Lewis. Nine families, including those of Robert Lewis, W. Stevenson, Wiley Cleaveland, George Ross, Esaw Beard, Kissiah Jefferson, . . . — Map (db m4681) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9307 — Mankins Crossing(100 yards west)
This historic crossing on the San Gabriel River was named for pioneer settler Samuel Mankins, who purchased land along the river in 1849. The limestone bed in the river provided a convenient crossing for area farmers. A nearby community included a . . . — Map (db m4691) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9340 — Marsh F. Smith House
This Foursquare house was built in 1908 by the Belford Lumber Co. for Marsh Fawn Smith (1875-1961), operator of a local cottonseed oil mill, and his wife Jessie (Cooper) (1879-1963). Smith served as mayor of Georgetown from 1926 to 1946, important . . . — Map (db m4710) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9314 — North Fork of the San Gabriel River
The North Fork of the San Gabriel River, part of the Brazos River system, flows east across Williamson County to join with the Middle and South forks at Georgetown. Abundant fish and wildlife attracted numerous Indian tribes to the areas along the . . . — Map (db m4801) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13920 — Old Dimmitt Building
Associated with Texas pioneers, businessmen, statesmen, writers. Erected 1901 as a hotel by P.H. Dimmitt & Co. Later occupied by mercantile stores -- meeting place for families and friends from Williamson County communities. Georgetown's first movie . . . — Map (db m4832) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Old Georgetown Cemetery
This site on the south bank of the South San Gabriel River, a portion of the land donated by George W. Glasscock in 1848 for the county seat of Williamson County, was used as a burial plot from 1840 to 1902. Many pioneer citizens lie buried here . . . — Map (db m4908) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9341 — Original Site of Southwestern University
The Methodist church established four colleges in Texas prior to the Civil War: Rutersville College (1840), Wesleyan College (1844), McKenzie Institute (1848), and Soule University (1856). The Rev. Dr. Francis Asbury Mood (1830-1884) was named . . . — Map (db m4909) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — Pennington Family Cemetery
Born in Fannin County, Texas, during the Republic of Texas period, John Parker Pennington (1840-1904), lived as a young man in Arizona territory. As a member of one of the first families to settle in the territory he survived several deadly . . . — Map (db m25172) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12305 — Railroad Produce Warehouse
Built in 1904 by William Pearce to provide storage space for a wholesale grocery company, this building was part of a larger industrial complex. A number of buildings were constructed along nearby railroad lines, including an ice plant and bottling . . . — Map (db m24955) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12306 — San Gabriel Lodge No. 89, A.F. & A.M.
Organized in 1851, three years after the creation of Williamson County, San Gabriel Lodge No. 89 was chartered in January 1852 with John T. Cox, a Methodist minister from South Carolina, as Worshipful Master. The lodge grew rapidly with the new . . . — Map (db m24956) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12307 — San Gabriel Park
The land and springs around this site made it a favored camping site for local Indian tribes for centuries before the Spanish discovered it. Raids, drought and conflict led the Spanish to abandon the area in 1756. The Mexican state of Coahuila and . . . — Map (db m25215) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13882 — Shafer Saddlery
On site of cabin used (1848) as first county courthouse. This frontier saddlery, erected 1870 of hand-cut limestone by John H. Shafer, had living quarters upstairs. Since 1872 occupants have been attorneys, a newspaper, and many other . . . — Map (db m25056) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12302 — Site of Marshall-Carver High School
The first school for African American students in Georgetown was established in the early 20th century. Called “The Colored School,” the institution served grades 1 through 8 and provided the only local educational opportunities for . . . — Map (db m25423) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9309 — Site of Neusser (Naizerville)
Moravian immigrant Johann Neusser came to Texas in 1872 and settled in Fayette County. In 1881, he and a number of fellow immigrants moved their families to this area. The Georgetown and Granger Railroad Company built a line through Neusser’s land . . . — Map (db m25399) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13896 — Southwestern University
Mother of all Texas colleges and universities. Absorbed charters of Rutersville College, Fayette County (1840), and Wesleyan Male and Female College, San Augustine (1844), chartered by the Republic of Texas; McKenzie College, Clarksville (1848), and . . . — Map (db m25322) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9342 — Southwestern University Main Building
Oldest structure on permanent campus. Planned 1895-97 as chapel, library, classrooms, offices, when the regent (president) was Dr. J.H. McLean (1838-1925); built 1898-1900 under regent R.S. Hyer (1860-1929). From throughout the state came building . . . — Map (db m24947) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13923 — St. John’s United Methodist Church
As early as 1871, pioneer Swedish settlers near Union Hill (4 mi. S), also known as the Brushy area, were holding Methodist worship services in homes. In 1882 they formally organized as a Swedish Methodist Episcopal church. The congregation moved to . . . — Map (db m25503) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9362 — Texan Santa Fe Expedition
A dramatic chapter in administration (1838-1841) of Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar. Aware of United States – Mexico commerce crossing Texas by the Santa Fe Trail near the Canadian River, President Lamar sought similar trade . . . — Map (db m25210) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 9049 — The Double File Trail (Georgetown)
Laid out about 1828 by Delaware Indians, “The Double File Trail” got its name because two horsemen could ride it side by side. The Delawares carved this trace migrating ahead of expanding white settlements. They moved from what they . . . — Map (db m24915) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13897 — W.C. Vaden House
Prominent local builder Charles S. Belford completed this home for Wesley Carrol Vaden and his wife Kate (Lockett) in 1908. Eclectic in design, the residence features Queen Anne styling with classical influences favored by Vaden, a Virginia native . . . — Map (db m24913) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 15002 — William Cornelius Dalrymple(August 3, 1814 – March 29, 1898)
North Carolina native William Cornelius Dalrymple served in the Texas Revolutionary forces and as a Texas Ranger during the 1830s. He married Elizabeth Wilbarger in Bastrop County, Texas, in 1840, and settled on the San Gabriel River in 1846. He . . . — Map (db m25554) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13879 — Williamson County
Created March 13, 1848, and organized by a special committee approved by Gov. George T. Wood and the 2nd Legislature of the State of Texas, with Georgetown designated as county seat. The county was named for Robert McAlpin Williamson (nicknamed . . . — Map (db m24954) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13880 — Williamson County Courthouse
Completed in 1911, this is the fifth courthouse to serve the citizens of Williamson County. It was designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles H. Page & Bro. Although some of the building's detailing was removed in the 1960s, it remains a . . . — Map (db m25038) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 14481 — Williamson County Jail
In continuous use since 1888. Native limestone. Cost $22,000. Replaced 1848 frame jail, at grand jury request. Financed without a bond issue. French Bastille styling, unchanged in remodeling, at cost of $40,000 in 1934. — Map (db m25548) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 13875 — Williamson County Sun
First published on May 19, 1877, the “Williamson County Sun” was founded by Jessie E. Cooper (1855-1944). In its first century of operation, the “Sun” initiated numerous civic projects, such as the building of the first . . . — Map (db m25319) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 15009 — XI Chapter Kappa Alpha Order
This fraternity was founded in 1865 by former Confederate soldiers at Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, during the administration of Robert E. Lee. XI Chapter was founded at Southwestern University on November 28, 1883, by Alexander S. . . . — Map (db m24963) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12308 — A. A. & Mary Spacek House
Designed by Architect William Flick, this house was built between 1921 and 1923 for Arnold Adolph (A. A.) Spacek and his wife Mary Julia (Cervenka). A. A. Spacek (1896-1952) was a locally prominent grocer, banker and merchant who also served as . . . — Map (db m2184) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12426 — Brick Streets in Granger
Area landowners A. S. Fischer and W. C. Belcher platted the townsite of Granger in 1884, in anticipation of its potential to develop along the rail line that had been laid two years previously. The town plan called for a 100-foot-wide main street, . . . — Map (db m2497) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9099 — Granger Brethren Church
Czech Protestant immigrants began settling in this area in the early 1880s. Many of them established family farms in the rich farmland surrounding Granger. The Czechs first organized worship service was held in a schoolhouse east of town in the . . . — Map (db m4114) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9100 — Granger City Hall(Farmers State Bank)
Erected in 1908-09, this building originally housed Farmers State Bank, the second banking institution founded in Granger. The bank closed in 1926 and the building became the Granger City Hall in 1929. An architectural hybrid of the late 19th . . . — Map (db m4150) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9101 — Granger High School
Established in 1887, the Granger Common School District built three earlier school buildings (1887, 1906 and 1914) on this site before this structure was erected in 1924-25. A good example of institutional design of the period, the building features . . . — Map (db m4172) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9294 — Macedonia Cemetery
According to local tradition a congregation known as the O'Possum Creek Church built an all-faiths sanctuary in this area as early as 1858. During the 1860s the Macedonia community began to develop as English and German immigrants settled in the . . . — Map (db m4682) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9333 — Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church
The Czechs/Moravians who settled here in the early 1880s initially worshiped in each others' homes or traveled 12 miles to Taylor, site of the nearest Catholic church. As their informal congregation grew so did the community of Granger. In 1891 they . . . — Map (db m25175) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12480 — Saints Cyril and Methodius Catholic School
In 1899, eight years after the founding of Saints Cyril and Methodius Church, its Czech/Moravian parishioners established a school for their children. In 1901 the sisters of divine providence began their long affiliation of providing teachers for . . . — Map (db m25512) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 12918 — Site of Moravia School
In the mid-nineteenth century, Moravian immigrants began moving into central Texas, attracted by fertile soils and the hope for better lives. One who settled here was Pavel Machu (1834-1907), a native of the Vsetin Valley in what is now the Czech . . . — Map (db m25469) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Granger — 9372 — Young House
Constructed in 1901 for the A.A. Young family, this residence exhibits elements of the Classical Revival and Beaux Arts styles of architecture. Its eclectic details and architectural features include large dormers, decorative balustrades and . . . — Map (db m25510) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9106 — Hutto
Located near Shiloh, one of the earliest villages in Williamson County, this area was settled in 1855 by J. E. Hutto (1824-1914) and Adam Orgain, a former slave. Hutto sold land for this townsite to the International & Great Northern . . . — Map (db m4282) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 13477 — Hutto Cemetery
T.A. Boatright buried a family child and her husband, E.B., here in the late 1880s when the site was known as Elmwood Cemetery. In 1889, she bought land here from C.P. and Julia Crews. Several graves already existed in addition to those of her . . . — Map (db m4299) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9108 — Hutto Evangelical Lutheran Church
Lutheran church services in Hutto can be traced to 1890, when ministers M. Noyd and Gustav Berglund of the Palm Valley Lutheran Church at Brushy (now Round Rock) conducted occasional services for the area's rapidly growing Swedish population. In . . . — Map (db m4300) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 12829 — Klattenhoff House
German native William Klattenhoff (1855–1928) immigrated to Texas in 1872 at age 17. His work on the International and Great Northern Railroad brought him to Hutto, where he purchased land in 1876. Upon his marriage to Alvina Plattow . . . — Map (db m4441) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 12303 — Monodale Community
When Texas was readmitted to the Union in 1870, the land in this area was owned by three families, including that of nationally known political statesman Edward Mandell House. Known as Stringtown, the area was so well populated by 1893 that House . . . — Map (db m4738) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9312 — Norman's Crossing
The settlement of Avery was established in the mid-1800s by Daniel Kimbro, veteran of the Mexican War and Williamson County pioneer. The small farming community later was known as Norman’s Crossing after pioneer M.B. Norman (1856-1921) who came to . . . — Map (db m25418) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Hutto — 9336 — Saul Cemetery
The Saul family settled along Brushy Creek in Williamson County about 1850. One brother, Charles Saul (b. 1818), bought this 640-acre tract in 1862. This part of the ranch was first used as a family burial ground upon Charles’ death on June 22, . . . — Map (db m25506) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jarrell — 9044 — Cornhill Cemetery
Established in 1886 on a two-acre site deeded to Cornhill Masonic Lodge No. 567 by Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Bridges. Interred here are community leaders, three Civil War soldiers, and veterans of other wars. Maintained by Cornhill Cemetery Association . . . — Map (db m2844) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jollyville — 9112 — Jolly Cemetery
This pioneer burial ground is a reminder of the area's earliest settlers. It was formally set aside by John Grey Jolly (1825–99) and his wife, Nancy Isabel (Eskew) (1825–1921)—both buried here—for whom Jollyville community . . . — Map (db m25504) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Jonah — Community of Jonah
On 1820s land grant to Nashville colony. Settled 1851 by wagon train from Arkansas, and called Water Valley. In 1884, repeated ill-luck in selecting an acceptable name for Post Office led to renaming the town Jonah. This was site of famed Grist . . . — Map (db m2780) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 13802 — A. S. Mason House
Local farmer Alpheus S. Mason (1839–1926) constructed this house about 1866. Situated on Bagdad Road, an important early military and commercial route in central Texas, the home features a double-galleried porch with Victorian detailing. . . . — Map (db m2204) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9104 — Heinatz Homestead
Built in fall of 1850, along with adjoining store and post office, all of native stone, by John Frederick Heinatz (1822-91), a settler from Germany. He was for many years postmaster of Bagdad, a public school trustee, superintendent of Sunday . . . — Map (db m4255) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Leander — 9321 — Pickle-Mason House
Master carpenter Andrew Porter Pickle (1833-1908) built this house for his family in 1871. It remained in the Pickle family until 1913, when it was sold to Augusta K. and Sarah Zora Mason Davis. Following their deaths, it remained in the family. The . . . — Map (db m24931) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9038 — Bryson Stagecoach Stop
John T. Bryson (d. 1894) and his wife Amelia (d. 1897), prominent early settlers of the Liberty Hill community, constructed this home in the 1850s. Built on a frame of notched and fitted hewn cedar logs and featuring chimneys of native stone, the . . . — Map (db m2510) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9105 — Hopewell Cemetery
Pioneers who settled here in the 1840s and established the town of Hopewell faced many hardships, including Indian raids. Wofford and Mary Johnson and their daughter were killed by Comanches nearby in 1863. They were buried at this site near the . . . — Map (db m4257) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 9329 — Rock House Community
A pioneer agricultural community of Williamson County, this site was first settled in the late 1840s by Uriah H. Anderson, a native of Tennessee who received a land grant here from the state of Texas. By 1857 a rural school was in operation and . . . — Map (db m24935) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 15115 — Union Hall Independent Missionary Baptist Church of Christ
Five families withdrew from the Liberty Hill Baptist Church to form an independent missionary Baptist church of Christ in 1888. The Rev. G.W. Capps was called as the first pastor. A one room schoolhouse was soon erected on donated land. Housing . . . — Map (db m25250) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Liberty Hill — 12310 — Williams-Buck Cemetery
Legend surrounds the first years of this burial ground. Local oral history relates that among the earliest graves are those of a slave called Willie Osborne and an unknown Native American. Members of the Stephens family, ambushed by Indians in 1854, . . . — Map (db m24957) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9316 — Andrew J. Palm House
With his mother and brothers, Andrew J. Palm (1839–1928) migrated to Texas from Sweden in 1853. They settled about three miles north of Round Rock at Palm Valley, where Palm built this residence about 1873. He purchased the land from Swedish . . . — Map (db m2327) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 13769 — Anti-Slaveholding Union Baptist Cemetery
This early Williamson County graveyard has been referred to as Smalley Cemetery due to its connection with the family of pioneer Baptist preacher Freeman Smalley. Early settlers of this area, the Smalleys were associated with the nearby . . . — Map (db m24902) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12298 — Barker House
E. B. and Mary Harvey Barker bought this house of locally quarried limestone in May 1873. The Barkers, who resided on a farm at Rice’s Crossing (20 mi. E), lived here during the winter season so that their eight children could attend school in Round . . . — Map (db m2287) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 12702 — Confederate ChaplainsRev. Edward Hudson – Rev. John Hudson
Brothers, teachers, Presbyterian ministers. Came to Texas from Arkansas, 1856. Worked and lived in this county. Both are buried in Round Rock Cemetery. In the Civil War, Rev. Edward Hudson in March 1862 joined Co. G, 6th Regiment, Confederate . . . — Map (db m2801) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9085 — Early Commercial Building
Erected to house private bank as well as hardware and lumber business of John A. Nelson and Associates. Bank was closed in 1922; commercial use continues. Architecturally important for facade of cast iron and pressed tin. Ornamented pilasters . . . — Map (db m3140) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9308 — Nelson-Crier House
In 1854, Andrew J. and Hedwig Nelson of Sweden settled here. Hard-working in many businesses, Nelson (d. 1895) prospered. His widow and heirs had this house built by Page Brothers, Austin architects, 1895-1900. A son, Thomas Edward, . . . — Map (db m4778) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9035 — Old Broom Factory Building
Erected in 1876. Victorian-style building has ashlar-cut limestone front with stepped parapet and keystone arches. During prosperous railroad era, housed Round Rock Broom Company (1887?-1912), an important local business. (Broom made here won a gold . . . — Map (db m4831) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9326 — Otto Reinke Building
Erected 1879, three years after Round Rock expansion began at railroad’s arrival. Some successive tenants included stores, physician, restaurants. After it was gutted by fire in 1963, architect Martin S. Kermacy and wife, Evelyn, built a modern . . . — Map (db m25173) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9317 — Palm Valley Lutheran Church
In area first claimed in 1838 by white men. Valley bears name of the Anna Palm family, 1853 Swedish settlers. “Brushy”, the first Lutheran church (of logs), was built here by Andrew John Nelson and 3 hired men in 1861. This also housed . . . — Map (db m25419) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9331 — Round Rock Cemetery
Established in the early 1850s in what is now known as Old Round Rock; this cemetery is the burial ground of many area pioneers and outstanding Round Rock citizens. The oldest legible tombstone, which marks the burial site of 11-year-old Angeline . . . — Map (db m25174) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9031 — Sam Bass' Death Site
An uneducated Indiana orphan who drifted to Texas as a youth, Sam Bass won fame racing his swift “Denton Mare”, gambling, and robbing trains. A rich haul in Nebraska was followed by months of reckless spending. Bass liked to shower gold . . . — Map (db m25072) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9339 — Slave Burial Ground in Old Round Rock Cemetery
Near the gravesite of outlaw Sam Bass, one-half acre of Old Round Rock Cemetery was set aside for slave burials. Enclosed by cedar posts and barbed wire, sites are marked head and foot with large limestone rocks. Some rocks are hand-grooved with . . . — Map (db m25179) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Round Rock — 9330 — The Round Rock
A guide for Indians and early settlers, this table-shaped stone in the middle of Brushy Creek once marked an important low-water wagon crossing. Hundered-year-old wheel ruts are still visible in the creek bottom. The rocky stream bed also provided . . . — Map (db m24936) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — Battle of Brushy Creek
A skirmish between Comanche raiders and a local militia near here in mid-winter (1839) led to the last major battle between Anglo settlers and Indians in Williamson County. The Comanche retaliated on February 18, 1839, by attacking several area . . . — Map (db m4825) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9320 — Bill Pickett(ca. December 1870 - March 25, 1932)
The son of a former slave, Willie M. (Bill) Pickett grew up in Taylor. Working as a cowboy in central Texas, he pioneered the art of “bulldogging,” in which a cowboy jumps from his horse to twist a steer’s horns to force it to the . . . — Map (db m13785) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9304 — Birthplace of Governor Dan Moody(June 1, 1893-May 22, 1966)
A crusader for integrity in public office. Born in Taylor, Williamson County; son of Daniel and Nancy Elizabeth Robertson Moody. At 16 entered University of Texas, where he completed law school. After World War I service, won election to the office . . . — Map (db m2461) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9034 — Booth House
This house was built about 1880 for Crawford Henry Booth (1843–1937), a prominent local rancher and banker. An unusual local example of the L-plan vernacular form, the house features many Queen Anne details, including an octagonal turret with . . . — Map (db m2480) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9358 — City of Taylor
When the International & Great Northern Railroad built across Williamson County in 1876, one of the towns created along its route was “Taylorsville,” named for railroad executive Moses Taylor. Lots were sold in June, and the post office . . . — Map (db m2743) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9047 — Doak Home
Built in 1860s. Ranch style forerunner. Since 1878 in the family of A. V. Doak, Taylor’s first doctor, organizer of mule-drawn streetcar line, civic leader. Son, Dr. Edmond Doak, b. 1878, has spent lifetime in this house. Grandson is Dr. E. K. Doak . . . — Map (db m2948) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9046 — Doak Pavilion Site(25 Feet West)
Built 1891 by Dr. A. V. Doak, early settler and civic leader, at end of his street car line, which operated three mule-drawn cars. Used for plays, dances, other amusements. Held crowds of 1,000. In 1900 the pavilion was sold and dismantled. — Map (db m3003) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13616 — Dr. James Lee Dickey
Physician, humanitarian, civil rights advocate and concerned citizen Dr. James Lee Dickey (d. 1959) had a profound effect on the quality of life in his adopted hometown of Taylor. Born in McLennan County in 1893, he attended Waco public schools and . . . — Map (db m3087) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9086 — Eikel-Prewitt Building
Albert Eikel (b. 1852) had this building constructed in 1893 to house the Eikel Hardware Company. The three-story, brick commercial structure was designed by prominent Williamson County architect Henry Struve. The building was purchased in 1923 by . . . — Map (db m3197) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9091 — First Christian Church of Taylor
Founded Dec. 9, 1877, with 22 charter members from churches in "old home" states. Gen. R. M. Gano of Dallas preached daily during ensuing week, and 20 others joined the church. The initial meeting was in an Odd Fellows hall. In 1878, a church . . . — Map (db m3379) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9092 — First Presbyterian Church of Taylor
The history of this church can be traced to 1876, when a Presbyterian congregation here was closely associated with the Presbyterian church in Georgetown. The Rev. John McMurray led both congregations, and the earliest written recognition of the . . . — Map (db m3526) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9032 — Howard Bland, Sr.
Born in Zanesville, Ohio, Howard Bland, Sr., came to Texas in 1878 and began raising sheep on his homestead near this site. An annual sheep shearing contest evolved into a community fair, and Bland donated land for the annual event. His other . . . — Map (db m4281) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9110 — Immanuel Lutheran Church
German immigrants began settling in the new railroad town of Taylor in the 1880s. Lutheran worship services were held as early as 1885, and the Rev. I. J. Glatzle and fourteen families formally organized this congregation in 1888. The Rev. Gus . . . — Map (db m4308) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9142 — Kimbro Family Cemetery
This small family cemetery contains the graves of members of a pioneer Williamson County family. Named for Daniel Kimbro, who was buried here in 1882, the plot remained in family ownership for over one hundred years. Daniel Kimbro arrived in . . . — Map (db m4440) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9344 — Luther Stearns, Sr.(Nov. 6, 1784 - Jan. 26, 1859)
Born in Chesterfield, Mass., Luther Stearns lived in the frontier regions of four states before moving to newly formed Williamson Co., Texas, in 1848. In 1850 he bought 650 acres on the San Gabriel River, where he built a 1-1/2 story log home and . . . — Map (db m4606) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 12701 — Pioneer Publisher and Printer David Ervin Lawhon
Born in Tennessee on June 15, 1811. While very young learned the printing trade and worked at it in some of the principal cities of the United States. Came to Nacogdoches, Texas, in November, 1835, in answer to pleas for volunteers for Texas . . . — Map (db m25218) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13070 — Preslar-Hewitt Building
The early growth of Taylor as a vital cotton and railroad center is reflected in its historic business district. Hugo Hunke built this two-story commercial structure in 1914 to anchor an important block. It provided first floor space for two . . . — Map (db m25547) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9337 — Shiloh Baptist Church
Founded Nov. 2, 1854, by 18 charter members. Services and revivals were often held under brush arbors at two early meeting sites (Located 3 mi. NE and 2 mi. S of here). Building retains its simple pioneer style even with modern interior and siding. — Map (db m25178) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9310 — Site of New Bern Church, School, and Cemetery
Swiss and German immigrants who settled here in the early 1890s named their settlement for Bern, Switzerland. In 1892 the newly organized St. John Lutheran Church built a sanctuary which also housed the New Bern school here on 2.5 acres donated by . . . — Map (db m25417) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9334 — St. James Church
First Episcopal services in Taylor were held 1878 by the Rev. E. Wickens, a missionary. Visitations were also made by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of Texas. Services were in homes and opera house. This church of cypress, oak and pine . . . — Map (db m24939) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 13290 — Taylor Brethren Church
During the 1880s, many Czech Protestant immigrants who settled in the Taylor area were members of the Unity of the Brethren, founded in 1457 by followers of the Czech reformer and martyr Jan Hus. These local Brethren found it difficult to worship in . . . — Map (db m25219) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9354 — Taylor National Bank
A.O. Watson of Austin designed this red sandstone building for the Taylor National Bank, which was organized in 1888. Completed in 1894, it has also housed the law firm of Mantor and Briggs, an office of the Weather Bureau, and the Taylor Refining . . . — Map (db m24949) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9359 — Taylor Post Office
The first post office established in this community opened in 1876 under the name Taylorville. In 1882, when the city was incorporated, it was renamed Taylor. The post office was housed in a number of locations until this structure was built in . . . — Map (db m24950) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9360 — The Taylor Public Schools
From 1877 until 1880, several private schools served residents of the Taylor area. In 1880 a public institution, The Stock Company School, was built and maintained by a group of private citizens. A school for black children of the community opened . . . — Map (db m25180) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9361 — The Tenth Street United Methodist Church
Services conducted in 1896-98 by the Rev. C. Charnquist in homes of Taylor’s early settlers led to the founding (1900) of the Swedish Methodist Episcopal Church, North. Buying the chapel of a disbanded group, the congregation increased, moving their . . . — Map (db m25421) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 9366 — Tucker-Smith House
Built in 1892 by prominent local lumber man J.E. Tucker, this residence originally reflected the Queen Anne style. Decker Franklin Smith purchased the house in 1905. In 1916 Smith extensively remodeled the house in the Mission style, which was then . . . — Map (db m25507) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — Wedemeyer Hospital Site
Occupied 1915 by early prominent physician, Dr. G.A. Wedemeyer (Aug. 26, 1875 – Jan. 24, 1963), a native of Burton, Washington County, who came to Taylor 1905. Hospital was continuously operated until 1957; then became retirement home. . . . — Map (db m25556) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Taylor — 15206 — Wilson Springs Cemetery
Located on land originally granted to George Washington Glasscock, the Wilson Spring Cemetery was established by the family of John S. Wilson, who purchased the land in 1854. His brother, Robert W. Wilson, acquired the land in 1857, and a community . . . — Map (db m25555) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Theon — 9363 — Community of Theon
Attracted to the rich farm land, immigrants from Austria, Bohemia, Germany, Moravia and Silesia came here in the 1880s-90s. This community grew around a cotton gin built about 1883. A Catholic church and school operated at nearby Corn Hill. A post . . . — Map (db m2793) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Thorndale — 12700 — Site of Gano Community
Settlement in this area began in the 1870s. The Wilder family operated a cotton gin, grist mill, blacksmith shop and general store. Other pioneer residents included the Allcorn, Watson, Casey, Gambrell, Gregory, and Howe families. By the 1890s the . . . — Map (db m25217) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Thrall — 9258 — Lawrence Chapel Cemetery
Adam Lawrence (1799-1878), pioneer farmer and cattle raiser, donated this tract in 1840. Born in Kentucky, he received a Texas land grant, 1822. Fought in Texas Revolution (1836) and many Indian battles. Once jumped horse 20 feet into river below to . . . — Map (db m25505) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Thrall — 9364 — Town of Thrall
An 1876 International & Great Northern Railroad siding called “Stiles Switch”, for landowners J.E. and F.N. Stiles, grew into a shipping point for the Swiss and Germans who settled this area. The post office that opened in 1901 was named . . . — Map (db m25212) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Thrall — Zion Lutheran Church Cemetery
Established in 1882 by German, Austrian, Swiss and French settlers, the community of Sandoval developed near Turkey Creek. In March 1893, residents founded Zion Lutheran Church, with the Rev. J. Rode as the first pastor. Church members established . . . — Map (db m24962) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Walburg — 13588 — Zion Lutheran Church
Zion Lutheran Church of Concordia was established in 1882 as a place of worship for immigrants of German-Wendish descent. The Wends are a Slavic people from the German area of Lusatia, near the border with the Czech Republic and Poland. Settlers . . . — Map (db m25255) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Weir — 12640 — City of Weir
Tennessee-native Thomas Calvin Weir (1826-1901) came to Williamson County in 1856. He bought land in this area and became a prosperous farmer. Alabaman James Francis Towns (1850-1937) came in 1870 and settled nearby on the San Gabriel River. He and . . . — Map (db m2754) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Weir — 12867 — Weir Community Cemetery
John Breneke (1847-1927) came from Fayette County to purchase 365 acres of farmland here in 1875. Deed records show he set aside two acres for a graveyard, perhaps upon the death of his sister-in-law, Susie B. Kemper (1868-1889), who died in . . . — Map (db m25459) HM

623 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 423
Paid Advertisement