Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

869 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 669
 
Wabash River Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 27, 2014
Wabash River Marker
Israel, Jerusalem District, Jerusalem — The CrucifixionAt Golgatha, The Place of the Skull
Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified and they took Jesus, and led him away. And he bearing the cross went forth into a place called Golgatha where they crucified him and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in . . . — Map (db m95071) HM
Israel, Southern District (Negev), Be''er Sheva — Palmach Negev Brigade MemorialContemporary Art in a Unique Setting
The story of the Negev Brigade in the War of Independence (Nov, 1947 – March, 1949) The Brigade, whose ranks included local settlers, fought courageously against superior forces – Arab irregulars and the invading Egyptian Army . . . — Map (db m92482) WM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — The Original Site of the Desert MissionBeginnings of John C. Lincoln Hospital
Born of the selfless and compassionate services of those individuals who gave medical, spiritual and other assistance to the sick and needy in the Sunnyslope area. After the turn of the century, the Desert Mission grew to be the center of these . . . — Map (db m111478) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Temple Bar Marina — Taming the Colorado
You are looking into Black Canyon and a narrow, river-like portion of Lake Mohave. To your left, about 59 miles downstream, is Davis Dam. To your right, 11 miles upstream, is Hoover Dam. The U.S. Government built the dams to tame the periodic . . . — Map (db m111185) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — USS Arizona AnchorA Solemn Reminder
This anchor was recovered from the Arizona The ship had three anchors. The crew used one in calm seas, two during foul weather, and the third as a spare. Each weighs nearly ten tons. Notice the size of the anchors compared to the . . . — Map (db m111209) WM
Illinois (Iroquois County), Iroquois — Concord TownshipVillage of Iroquois — Veterans Memorial
Erected in 1997 by the people of Concord Township and the Village of Iroquois in memory of the men and women who served in the Armed Forces and in hope for the veterans of the future — Map (db m97329) WM
Illinois (Iroquois County), Iroquois — Gurdon S. Hubbard Trading Post
In 1822, Gurdon S. Hubbard, on this spot, built an Indian Trading Post and operated it until 1834. Here the Indian Princess Watchee-Kee lived with Hubbard, as his wife. — Map (db m96050) HM
Indiana (Union County), West College Corner — College Corner Veterans Memorial
Memorial to all service men of all wars World War I   World War II   Korean War Viet Nam Era — Map (db m120314) WM
Indiana (Wayne County), Cambridge City — 89.2014.1 — Virginia Claypool Meredith"Queen of American Agriculture"
Side A As a writer, speaker, stockbreeder, and university professor, Meredith (born 1848) encouraged women to pursue education and careers related to farm life. She inherited Oakland Farm, three blocks south, 1882. Successfully grew business and . . . — Map (db m120302) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — 89.2018.1 — Wayne County SeminaryOld School Site on the National Road
Side A Non-denominational academies called county seminaries opened across Indiana soon after statehood. Wayne County Seminary opened at present day Spruce and School Streets in 1829 and by 1835 offered elementary to collegiate level classes for . . . — Map (db m120296) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Milton — Valley Grove CemeteryValley Grove Church
The Valley Grove Cemetery Association was organized Jan. 1, 1876.

The original officers were - John Wallace, President     B. F. Beeson, Secretary     John W. Ferguson, Treasurer

The Valley Grove Church was completed on this . . . — Map (db m120319) HM

Iowa (Linn County), Marion — Freedom FlameVeterans Memorial
Freedom Flame Veterans Memorial American Legion Post 298 1919 50th Anniversary 1969 — Map (db m96583) WM
Iowa (Linn County), Mt. Vernon — The Old Military RoadDubuque to the Northern Boundary of Missouri
This highway is the Old Military Road from Dubuque to the northern boundary of Missouri authorized by Congress 1839 — Map (db m96855) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Rabbit Hash
Side A Rabbit Hash Kentucky circa 1813 Ohio River Mile 506.1 below Pittsburg one of only a few remaining early 19th century towns along the 981- mile course of the Ohio River. The Rabbit Hash National Registry encompasses 33 acres . . . — Map (db m79231) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Union — 32 — Big Bone Lick
Discovered in 1739, by the French Capt. Charles Lemoyne de Longueil this famous saline- sulphur spring was frequented for thousands of years byIndians and vast herds of buffalo, deer and other animals. The first English explorers found . . . — Map (db m79060) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Union — Big Bone Methodist Church — Historic Feature in Boone County, Kentucky
Big Bone Methodist Church Big Bone Methodist Church was constructed in 1888 The original congregation, which was organized in 1887 and led by Reverend George Froh, helped in the construction. As was the custom, a social order lodge shared the . . . — Map (db m79030) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Union — 1646 — Piatt’s Landing / General E.R.S. Canby
Side A Piatt's Landing Near here on the north bank of the Ohio River at mile 510.5 was a riverboat landing, ferry, and road to the courthouse at Burlington. The landing and large brick home that once stood near, later called Winnfield . . . — Map (db m79142) HM
Kentucky (Carroll County), Carrollton — 1094 — Scott's BlockhouseThe Anchor Point of the Greenville Treaty Line — The Mouth of the Kentucky River
Blockhouse built here, 1789, by Gen. Charles Scott for protection of settlers against Indians who had massacred and driven off earlier families. Scott came from Va., 1785. He was in the French and Indian Wars. Organized first company south of . . . — Map (db m77353) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — George and Ruth Kohlbran Fountain
Dedicated in appreciation of their service to the City of Covington 1982 — Map (db m78999)
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — Kennedy HouseA Marker in George Rogers Clark Park — Covington, Kentucky
(artwork) Built in the year 1791 by Thomas Kennedy one of the first settlers at the confluence of the Licking and Ohio Rivers. He operated the first ferry crossing the Ohio and his house was a stopping place for travelers journeying . . . — Map (db m78998) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — Simon Kenton
Simon Kenton April 13, 1755 – April 29, 1836 Simon Kenton, for whom Kenton County is named, stands with Daniel Boone and George Rogers Clark as a leading figure in the opening of the West. Kenton entered Kentucky in 1771 as a longhunter . . . — Map (db m78628) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — 2165 — St. John the Evangelist Church
Side A St. John the Evangelist Church In 1848- 49 German- Catholics of Mother of God Church, Lewisburg, founded Stes. Peter and Paul School. In 1854, St. John Parish was created. Fr. Wm. Robbers (pastor 1879- 1903) was . . . — Map (db m78036) HM
Kentucky (Rockcastle County), Mount Vernon — 1644 — Boone Way
The 96-mile stretch of road from Crab Orchard to Cumberland Gap was known as Boone Way. Col. James Maret, an early advocate of road improvement, was responsible for cutting of roadbed and it’s first paving. As L&N railroad agent and telegraph . . . — Map (db m84508) HM
Kentucky (Rockcastle County), Mount Vernon — 1254 — Rockcastle County, 1810
The 52nd Kentucky county. Created out of Knox, Lincoln, Madison, Pulaski counties. Isaac Lindsey, who came here with a hunting party in 1767, observed a lone rock which resembled an ancient castle. From this the river was named, later the . . . — Map (db m84512) HM
Minnesota (Faribault County), Blue Earth — Minnesota Agriculture
Since its territorial days, in the mid-19th century, Minnesota’s identity has been rooted in agriculture. With acres of prairies and woodlands to turn into farms, the state proved attractive to waves of settlers from eastern states and other . . . — Map (db m96915) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), Bozeman — Bozeman Veterans MemorialMontana Department of Transportation
Honoring all our brothers and sisters who have served, are serving, or will serve in the defense of our Nation — Map (db m98453) WM
Montana (Gallatin County), Three Forks — Gallatin CityFirst and Second
The original townsite of Gallatin City, north of here on the west side of the combined Madison and Jefferson Rivers, was selected in 1862. In Feb., 1863 sixty cabins were being constructed. The river was forded when it was low and a ferry was . . . — Map (db m127042) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — Southern Gallatin County
This basin was settled by ranchers and homesteaders. Bannock Indians had encampments here as late as 1913. Near here is the west entrance to Yellowstone Park, the nation’s first National Park(1872). West Yellowstone was founded in 1908 with the . . . — Map (db m100066) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Boulder City — Heroes of Hoover
The building of Hoover Dam was a ray of hope for a nation struggling with hard times. Newsreel images of the high-scalers who worked the canyon walls ignited public interest in the project. “Scaling” is the process of removing . . . — Map (db m111191) HM
Ohio (Adams County), Peebles — Cairn of Peace
First plaque Cairn of Peace dedicated at World’s Conservation Exposition and 5th World Plowing Contest September 19- 20, 1957

Second plaque These competitors were in the World Plowing Matches Peebles, Ohio . . . — Map (db m121814) HM

Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Allen County’s First SettlementThe Sugar Creek Settlement
Here arriving from Logan County in 1824, Christopher Stark Wood estab- lished on Sugar Creek, the first settlement in what is now Allen County. His family and others joined him soon. Land was cleared; cabins were built. After only five years, . . . — Map (db m80276) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — The Hog Creek SettlementWard Cemetery — Pioneers in Allen County, Ohio
Ward Cemetery Burial Site in the fall of 1825, Samuel McCluer built a log cabin near this site and began the arduous task of clearing away the dense forest for farming. Not until the following summer did he learn from hunters, who . . . — Map (db m80275) HM
Ohio (Allen County), Lima — Veterans Freedom Flag Monument
The Veterans Freedom Flag Monument dedicated May 22, 2010 to Veterans who made the sacrifice for freedom around the world, those who currently serve in the military and those who will serve in the future. Built entirely through the donations of . . . — Map (db m63076) WM
Ohio (Allen County), Spencerville — Spencerville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to our country’s defenders, erected by our patriotic people

1861- 1865 1898- 1902 1917- 1918 1941- 1945 (GAR logo) (Red Cross logo) (American Legion logo) (Spanish American Veteran Medal logo) 1921 (wreath logo) . . . — Map (db m95006) WM

Ohio (Auglaize County), Buckland — The Mystery Stone — Usually Ignored in Light of the Frontier Marker Next to It
The Mystery Stone when the middle pier of the railroad trestle spanning the Auglaize River was replaced in the mid 1940’s this sculpted stone was discovered as part of it. The stone was subsequently donated to the Village of Buckland by the . . . — Map (db m80773)
Ohio (Auglaize County), Wapakoneta — Plank RoadWapakoneta to St. Mary’s — Original Route 33
Site of St. Marys – Wapakoneta plank road built 1850- 1852 of Burr and White Oak timber 3 to 5 ft in diam. cut and milled at Moulton financed by Wapakoneta – St Marys businessmen who charged toll for profit and maintenance. Replaced . . . — Map (db m77612) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), Waynesfield — Headwaters of the Auglaize RiverThe Flat Wet Praire where three major rivers begin
On the headwaters of the Auglaize River The watershed of Three Rivers originates within a distance of 1/2 mile from this point West- Miami East- Scioto North-Auglaize Susannah Russell Chapter DAR — Map (db m76609) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Colerain — Josiah Fox1763 - 1847
A Quaker, he wielded great influence in ship design during the early years of our country 1794 clerk, United States War Department 1795- 1798 assistant Navy Constructor 1798- 1801 Navy Constructor and Superintendent of Buildings, Gosport, . . . — Map (db m89226) HM
Ohio (Brown County), Decatur — Byrd Township World War I DAR Monument
In honor of the boys of Byrd Township who served the American colors in the World War 1917- 1919 for liberty and humanity

Earl H. Baird · E. Victor Bennett · Walter F. Bennett · + Frank Brooks · George B. Brown · Alonzo Davis · John . . . — Map (db m122031) WM

Ohio (Brown County), Decatur — 5-8 — Historic Decatur / A. N. Marquis and Who’s Who
Historic Decatur

Originally called St. Clairsville and platted in 1801, Decatur was named for early 19th century naval hero Stephen Decatur. It is among the oldest villages in Brown County, which before 1817 was a part of Adams County. . . . — Map (db m121885) HM

Ohio (Brown County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of United States Military Veterans Veterans of Foreign Wars Scanlon – Kelly Post 5920 Knights of Columbus Father Sourd Council 2423 Fayetteville Ohio 27 May 2013 — Map (db m95556) WM
Ohio (Brown County), Mt. Orab — Mt. Orab Korean and Vietnam MemorialCannon and Flag Pole
In memory of the men from the Mt. Orab area who served in the wars of Korea and Viet Nam and lost their lives in service of their country.

David L. Bingamon · Vietnam Darrell B. Boothby · Korea Kenneth R. Foreman · Korea . . . — Map (db m122528) WM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Gen. Anthony WayneFive Mile Spring — On the Trail, North of Fort Hamilton
Gen. Anthony Wayne and his men camped here at Five Mile Spring September 1793 — Map (db m97797) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 1-9 — The Miami Canal
Side A

The dimensions of the canal channel were 26 feet wide at the bottom and 40 feet wide at the top. The depth of the canal averaged four and one-half feet. The 12 locks were 80 feet long with 14-foot wide interior chambers which could . . . — Map (db m122419) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Middletown — Start of the Miami and Erie Canal1825 - 1929
In emulation of those who, July 21, 1825, here began the building of the Miami & Erie Canal, this Ohio property was rededicated November 2, 1929, to its original purpose - transportation, with the confident hope that a super-highway . . . — Map (db m29665) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Oxford — 24- 9 — Stillwell’s Corners
side A A cemetery was established on the site in 1811 and became the final resting place for many of the area's early pioneer families. The Hanover Township Trustees obtained title to the land in 1823 from John and Anna Farnsworth, and it . . . — Map (db m97814) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Woodsdale — 6-9 — Chrisholm
This farm, Chrisholm (German for home farm of Christian Augspurger), was established in 1830 by Christian Augspurger (1782-1848), leader of the Amish Mennonite settlement in Butler County. The Amish selected this area because of rich, fertile . . . — Map (db m122421) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Cable — Jacob and Martha Boggs Johnson1805- 1905 — Century Farm, from Indian Cabin
This memorial is in memory of Jacob and Martha Boggs Johnson, and marks the spot where the Indian cabin stood Into which they moved April 1. 1805. With other pioneers they came as the Indians departed and worthily bore their part in subduing . . . — Map (db m127297) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Mechanicsburg — Maple Grove World War Memorial
(south side) Dedicated to those who gave their lives in the World War by the Donald Cannon Post No. 238 of the American Legion (north side) Erected in memory of the Veterans of the World War 1917 . 1918 by the . . . — Map (db m86333) WM
Ohio (Champaign County), North Lewisburg — North Lewisburg Fire Bell
Our village fire and curfew bell originally hung in the old town hall erected in 1870. The bell was cracked by two citizens ringing it in celebration of the end of World War II. — Map (db m86383) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 29- 11 — Billy "Single" Clifford /Clifford Theater
Billy "Single" Clifford Wm. C. Shyrigh, better known as Billy Clifford, was born in this house on January 24, 1869, to Levi and Sarah Shyrigh. Coming from a musical family, he developed an early interest in music and practiced with the . . . — Map (db m90489) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — Champaign County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of the men and women of Champaign County who served our country in war and peace. — Map (db m92405) WM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 30-11 — Pennsylvania Railroad Depot
(side A) Construction of the Columbus, Piqua, and Indiana Central Railroad started in 1850 and was finished in 1854. Later referred to as the "Panhandle Railroad," it ran from Columbus to Bradford. During the Civil War, the line carried . . . — Map (db m93853) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — 34- 11 — War Council of 1812Old Grave Yard
side A- War Council of 1812 To confirm that the Treaty of Greenville would be upheld, Ohio Governor Return J. Meigs called a council with Native Americans June 6-9, 1812. He sought approval to cross native land when marching to Canada and . . . — Map (db m81636) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Enon — Enon Civil War MemorialA New Addition — 150th Anniversary of the Original
This memorial is dedicated by the Enon Community Historical Society May 2016 to preserve the history of one of the first Civil War Memorials placed east of the Mississippi. The citizens of Mad River Township donated and dedicated . . . — Map (db m110399) WM
Ohio (Clark County), New Carlisle — 183 — Honey Creek Presbyterian Historical MarkerRegistered Site #183 — Current Location of Historical Congregation
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site #183 registered by the Presbyterian Historical Society Philadelphia, Pa. — Map (db m121348) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah Veterans Memorial
1941 - 1945 In memory of these men who gave their lives for freedom in World War II

Alvin Earl Beard James C. Butts William A. Rolke Loren Hoderlein Merle Patterson Albert Wienner — Map (db m99696) WM

Ohio (Clermont County), Felicity — Felicity Underground Railroad
This is the site of the home of William Sleet, a black abolitionist. A blacksmith, he was a prominent member of the Felicity Underground Railroad operation. Felicity was a very important community on the Underground Railroad that helped escaped . . . — Map (db m99963) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Felicity — Honor Roll 1918Franklin Township WW I Veterans Memorial
Honor Roll 1918 Dedicated as a lasting tribute to the memory of our men who answered the call of their country in the World War. erected by the citizens of Franklin Township, Clermont County (68 names) US — Map (db m99976) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — Burial Site of Two Unknown SoldiersSlabs Camp — On the Bullskin Trail
Near here are buried two unknown soldiers of General Anthony Wayne's Army who died while at Slabs Camp, at the junction of Highway 131 and 133 in 1793. A memorial service was held by Edenton Willing Workers and Blanchester Daughter's of the American . . . — Map (db m99977) HM WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — Goshen High School Veterans Memorial
In honor of all Goshen Warriors who have served — Map (db m99435) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Goshen — 11-13 — Goshen School Building
Side A In 1907, the Goshen School Building, later known as both Goshen Intermediate School and Sheila Green Elementary, was erected. The two-story, buff-colored, pressed-brick building was the first attempt at school consolidation in Goshen . . . — Map (db m99433) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — Charlie Henry RichThe Tombstone
Here lies Charlie Henry Rich who dealt “Aces and Eights” to Wild Bill Hickok in the Blackhills of Deadwood South Dakota in No. 10 Saloon August 2, 1876 — Map (db m99468) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — Clermont County Bicentennial MarkerPublic Water Works c. 1905
Designed by Cincinnati Music Hall architect, Henry C. Hubbell. Water service was confined to Loveland, but also supplied the large railroad tanks on the B&O and Pennsylvania Railways. Very important in the days of steam locomotives. It was . . . — Map (db m120811) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Loveland — The Ramsey/Paxton Cemetery
Col. Thomas Paxton (1739-1813) served with General George Washington at Valley Forge in 1777 and with General Anthony Wayne at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794. This was the last major fight against the Indians before Ohio became a state in . . . — Map (db m99423) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford GAR Veterans Memorial
erected by S.R.S. West Post No. 544 G.A.R. in memory of the soldiers of Miami Township 1909 — Map (db m99619) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Promont
Using exquisite materials from Europe and fine craftsmanship from the area, the house was built by William McGrue in 1865. It is an Italianate style mansion with a tower. The 43rd Governor of Ohio, John Pattison, resided here from 1879 until . . . — Map (db m99595) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — 8-13 — Mt. Zion Chapel / Mt. Zion Cemetery - Lafayette School
Mt. Zion Chapel The Mount Zion Chapel of the Christian Church was built in 1872 on this hill adjacent to the members' cemetery outside of Clermontville. The site was part of a two-acre parcel that had been secured from the farm of William R. . . . — Map (db m99887) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — The United States Merchant Marine
In recognition of those who serve their country in war and peace time to those 250,000 who served in World War II to those 670 who were taken prisoner to those 6700 plus who gave their lives and to the countless number who served since this . . . — Map (db m99764) WM
Ohio (Clermont County), New Richmond — Underground Railroad SiteClermont Freedom Trail — Ross – Gowdy House Museum
Built circa 1850, the Ross-Gowdy House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Through the years it has served as the home of three New Richmond mayors. Merchant Thomas Gowdy lived in this house in 1876. The home was acquired by . . . — Map (db m99720) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Dairy House at Harmony Hill
Built 1800- 1802 at the homestead of Maj. General William Lytle by John Charles stone mason The restoration of Harmony Hill Dairy House is dedicated to the memory of the “Father of Clermont County”, Major General William . . . — Map (db m95612) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — Hartman Log Cabin
Dedicated to Christopher Hartman who emigrated from Germany in 1753 fought in the American Revolution and settled in Clermont County in 1801; to his grandson John Kirby Hartman, who purchased this site in 1838; and to their relatives and . . . — Map (db m99999) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — The Town SquareClermont County Bicentennial
In 1796, William Lytle set aside over five acres for public buildings. In 1803 Williamsburg became the first county seat and in 1809 the first county courthouse was built here by John Charles. A jail was built in 1811 and in 1812- 13 a two room . . . — Map (db m95579) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Blanchester — Blanchester Veterans' Memorial ParkCpl. Richard A. Marsh
Dedicated in memory of the men and women who served their country in both war and peace by Marion Post 179 American Legion 50 years of service to God and Country October 7, 1919 to October 7, 1969

This memorial constructed by . . . — Map (db m121164) WM

Ohio (Clinton County), Blanchester — Garrison Corner GAR Monument
In memory of Garrison Corner Civil War soldiers who have served with the Grand Army of the Republic and died in the service of their country

Pvt. Peter Garrison died 8-11-1863 Pvt. Felix Rude died 4-14-1863 Pvt. Lewis Rude . . . — Map (db m121368) WM

Ohio (Clinton County), Sabina — 4-14 — Beam Farm Mound
Built by people of the Adena or Hopewell cultures during the Early to Middle Woodland era (circa 800 B.C - 500 A.D), the Beam Farm Mound, 1200 feet northwest, has stood on the uplands overlooking Anderson Fork for two thousand years. Notable among . . . — Map (db m121070) HM
Ohio (Clinton County), Wilmington — Unknown Union SoldierSimple Marker in a Secluded Rural Cemetery
Unknown Union Soldier KIA Civil War 1861- 1865 “Here rests in honored glory an American Soldier known but to God” — Map (db m106397) WM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — St. Philip Nerisince 1817 — “The Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio”
St. Philip Neri Parish Est. 1817 Church 1849 Bell Tower 1899 150th Anniversary 1999 — Map (db m118724) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Bucyrus — The Underground Railroad in Crawford CountyThe Underground Railroad
Side A Runaway slaves used a web of routes through Crawford County, most going through the city of Bucyrus. Present-day State Route 98 to State Route 4, laid out in 1822 from Norton in northern Delaware County through Bucyrus to Sandusky in . . . — Map (db m107079) HM
Ohio (Crawford County), Tiro — 6- 17 — Knisley Springs Farm
Long known to the Indians for the mineral spring water, this land was purchased in 1819 by Samuel Knisley. After 1880 it was developed as a resort area by Dr. Jerome Bland, who also established a cattle and horse breeding farm. In 1930 the land . . . — Map (db m94709) HM
Ohio (Darke County), Greeneville — In Memory of the Grand Army of the RepublicA Flag Pole with Drinking Fountain — In Greeneville City Park
(artwork) GAR erected in memory of the Grand Army of the Republic by the Daughters of Union Veterans Tent O8 1946 — Map (db m93149) WM
Ohio (Darke County), Greeneville — Treaty of Greene Ville Peace MedalThe Token Given to the Indian Nations in 1795
Treaty of Greene Ville Peace Medals Presented to the American Indian Nations that signed the Peace Treaty in 1795 Medallion is the same on both sides — Map (db m93182) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Radnor Presbyterian Log Church
Site of the Radnor Presbyterian Log Church, of the Joint Delaware- Liberty- Radnor Congregation built 1819 Distinguished Sunday School Missionary Benjamin W. Chidlaw was a member of this church 1829- 1836 erected 1960 — Map (db m89485) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Delaware — Scioto Park Stone #1The McClure Road — A Series of Four Stones
The McClure Road or Wilderness Way crossed a permanent stream at this point. An “S” bridge has been placed here for utility, flood and wash control. Originally the bridge consisted of large granite boulders as buttress walls, over . . . — Map (db m89680) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Ostrander — Ostrander Town Pump
On this site was located the town pump which was the main source of water for the village during the early 1900’s and used by residents until 1973. — Map (db m89535) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Bloomingburg — Bloomingburg Veterans Memorial
The sacrifice of the few insured the freedom of many

A grateful community remembers those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war and peace, whose courage and personal sacrifices defended and . . . — Map (db m121968) WM

Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 84- 25 — Coach Woody HayesOhio State Football Legend — “the Coach”
Over his 28-year coaching career, Woody Hayes (1913-1987) cemented The Ohio State University's tradition of football excellence while amassing one of the most impressive records in college football. Wayne Woodrow Hayes grew up in Newcomerstown . . . — Map (db m94097) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Coach Woody Hayes1913- 1987
“You can never pay back, but you can pay forward” Wayne Woodrow “Woody” Hayes was a buckeye from birth. born in Clifton, Ohio, he spent his entire life giving back to the state he loved. Woody earned a bachelor’s . . . — Map (db m94098) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 110- 25 — Hanford VillageAlthough the highway divides us, our memories are never lost
Hanford Village was founded in the early 1900s just east of Columbus proper with its own mayor, police force, fire department, businesses, and park. After World War II, a subdivision of Hanford became a segregated community for returning African . . . — Map (db m94618) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Old Franklinton Cemetery
This ancient burial ground of Central Ohio was established in a bend of the Scioto River in 1799 and is known as "Old Franklinton Cemetery". The pioneers buried here are about one hundred in number. Seventy-one graves are marked largely by sandstone . . . — Map (db m88301) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Philo Webster and Webster Graveyard
Philologus Webster was born in Stonington, Connecticut in 1759. He was the son of Captain John and Rhonda Lewis Webster and the great great grandson of Connecticut Colony Governor John Webster. At the age of 18, Philo served in the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m116831) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 111- 25 — Southwood Elementary SchoolHistoric Building, Still in Use
Side A Built in 1894, the original eight-room Southwood Elementary School cost $16,000 to construct on this site purchased from a local family for $3,000. The school originally had five teachers and a teacher-pupil ratio of 50-1. Mary . . . — Map (db m94245) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Unknown Boy Scout
Dedicated to The Unknown Boy Scout 1910 - 1935 in England whose good turn brought Scouting to millions of America boys sponsored by Central Ohio Area Boy Scouts of America — Map (db m98915) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Dublin — Dublin Veterans ParkGrounds of Remembrance
On this green bank, by this soft stream, We place with joy a votive stone, That memory may their deeds redeem, When, like our sires, our sons are gone. O Thou who made those heroes dare To die, and leave their children free— Bid Time and . . . — Map (db m101977) WM
Ohio (Franklin County), Dublin — Field of CornHybridization — Fourth of Multiple Markers
Hybridization revolutionized the production of corn in North America and worldwide in the 20th century. Cross-pollinating two distinct varieties of corn or other plants can result in hybrids that are stronger and more resistant to drought and . . . — Map (db m107945) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Dublin — History of Dublin’s Town Pump
From the late 19th century until the early 1920’s, a hand-operated pump was located in the center of the intersection of Bridge and High Streets in Historic Dublin. The pump supplied water from Dublin’s first well, which in turn drew water . . . — Map (db m101994) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Dublin — Indian Run Cemetery
Indian Run Cemetery established 1813 restored 1975- 1980 Dublin Historical Society

(names and dates of 13 persons, one Revolutionary War Veteran) City of Dublin

"What sinners value I resign Lord, 'tis enough that thou art mine I . . . — Map (db m101967) HM

Ohio (Franklin County), New Albany — 112- 25 — George and Christina Ealy House and LandResch Park
Side A The George and Christina Ealy House is a testament to the prosperity of one of this area's early residents and the skills of mid- nineteenth-century craftsmen. In 1830, members of the Ealy family moved from Pennsylvania to a . . . — Map (db m94109) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Worthington — Eclectic Medical CollegeWorthington College
Near this site was established in December 1830 as a part of Worthington College The first Eclectic Medical College in the Middle West. This tablet commemorates the faculty and students of the college who by reason of their . . . — Map (db m95133) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Clifton — Clifton Gorge MarkerThe Old Trail Head — The Obscure Marker
Clifton Gorge has been designed a Registered Natural Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in illustrating the natural history of the United States U. S. Department . . . — Map (db m77111) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — 30-29 — Ballard Road Covered Bridge
In 1883, James E. Brown built this seven-panel Howe truss bridge over the North Branch of Caesar Creek, near the site of Lyman Ballard’s grist mill and on the property of William C. Dean. At the time it was built, iron, concrete, and steel . . . — Map (db m106267) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — 27-29 — Engle Mill Road Covered Bridge
Built in 1877 and spanning 136 feet, the Engle Mill Road Covered Bridge carried vehicular traffic until 2003. The bridge is named after the nearby Levi Engle Mill. It is one of a few dozen Smith Truss bridges in the United States. The Smith Bridge . . . — Map (db m106266) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — Godfrey BrownMiddle Run Baptist Church — The Brown Settlement
Godfrey Brown 1768 1843 “As to debts, thank God I owe no man anything but love”

Godfrey Brown was born a slave in Brunswick County, Virginia in the year of 1768. He yearned for freedom and was freed by his master on . . . — Map (db m95414) HM

Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — 19-29 — Helen Hooven Santmyer
Helen Hooven Santmyer moved to Xenia at the age of five and graduated from Wellesley College in 1918. She attended Oxford University in England as one of the earliest female Rhodes Scholars. Returning to America with her first book published and a . . . — Map (db m52894) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — 4- 29 — McDonald Stone QuarryA Piece of the Washington Monument
In 1849, each state in the Union was invited to furnish a block of native stone for the construction of the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. Geologists selected stone from this quarry, then owned by Wilford McDonald, as typical of the . . . — Map (db m91407) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — Stevenson Cemetery GateMassie Creek Scotch Associate Cemetery
Left Post1776   1931 James Stevenson donated the Associate Church   † three acres for church and cemetery purposes in 1804, to be known as Massie’s Creek Church lot and   † cemetery. The   Rev. . . . — Map (db m95429) HM WM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — 2- 29 — Union Meeting House Organized in 1807 / Union Seminary Organized in 1809
Union Meeting House Organized in 1807 On this site in 1809, pious Christians from Virginia and North Carolina erected a Methodist Church, the first in Greene County. The church was officially organized on May 23, 1807 as the Bonner Society. . . . — Map (db m91415) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Xenia — William Maxwell1755? - 1809
Front First printer and publisher in the Northwest Territory lived near this point, 1799- 1809. established the first news paper, “The Sentinel of the Northwest Territory”, Cicin nati, November 9, 1793. Published the . . . — Map (db m91438) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Yellow Springs — Antioch College / and Glen Helen
Antioch College Founded 1853. Horace Mann and Arthur Morgan pioneered its co-operative program of “Education for Effective Living”. Glen Helen The living story of Ohio’s countryside. 930 acres for community . . . — Map (db m79758) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Yellow Springs — Orton MemorialNot Neglected, Not Forgotten, Just Hard to Get To — Deep in the Woods of John Bryan State Park
In memory of Edward Orton 1829-1899 He loved the youth of the land and inspired them to seek education. He taught them to build a soul. He advocated the beautiful religion of Jesus Christ. Especially did he inspire them with a love for . . . — Map (db m77093) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — CambridgeThe Historic National Road in Ohio
Cambridge was platted in 1806 and became Guernsey County seat just four years later. The town flourished with the construction of the National Road, and by 1834 Cambridge was served daily by four stagecoach lines. Manufacturing boomed after the . . . — Map (db m98595) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — Peacock RoadThe Historic National Road in Ohio
Named for the peacocks that once lived on a neighboring farm, this narrow brick road was on the National Roads original alignment when it was built through Guernsey County in 1828. Peacock road is typical of the steep grades and sharp curves that . . . — Map (db m98596) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — Peters Creek Mile MarkerOne of Several Identical Markers
The Act of Congress in 1806 which authorized the construction of the National Road required that mile markers be placed at regular intervals. These reference points reassured travelers that they were following the correct route. They also indicated . . . — Map (db m98507) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Tucker's StationOutpost on the Ohio Frontier — Anthony Wayne campsite
In the year 1792, Henry Tucker started clearing land and erecting a Station House on the old Indian Trace in what is now the village of Woodlawn. He had purchased the land from John Cleves Symmes for two dollars per acre. Fear of Indian Attack drove . . . — Map (db m76291) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cleves — 20-31 — William Henry Harrison / and the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal
side A (south) Harrison, later to become the ninth president of the United States, was a strong supporter of the Cincinnati & Whitewater Canal project and a major subscriber of stock in the canal company. He sold land from his North Bend . . . — Map (db m78769) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Arcadia — 13- 32 — Village of Arcadia /The Arcadia Heritage
Village of Arcadia side A Settled in 1833, Arcadia was one of the last permanent villages to be established in eastern Hancock County. Pioneers Ambrose, David, and Ephriam Peters laid out the farming village on the south edge of "Wild Cat . . . — Map (db m94706) HM
Ohio (Hardin County), Kenton — Hardin County Veterans Memorial Park
Hardin County Veterans Memorial Park Dedicated to all who have faithfully served in the U.S. Armed Forces — Map (db m105042) WM
Ohio (Hardin County), Kenton — Hardin County War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m105036) WM
Ohio (Hardin County), Kenton — Private Jacob ParrottFirst Recipient Medal of Honor
Private Jacob Parrott Company 33rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry First Recipient Medal of Honor — Map (db m126218) WM
Ohio (Highland County), Sinking Spring — Sinking Spring Veterans Memorial
Veterans Memorial dedicated to the men and women from our community who honorably served the armed forces of our country — Map (db m121973) WM
Ohio (Knox County), Bangs — 11- 42 — Knox County Poor Farm / Knox County Infirmary
Knox County Poor Farm The surrounding 132 acres of land served as the Knox County Poor Farm (aka Knox County Infirmary and County Home) from 1842 to 1955. The farm was nearly self-sustaining. Able residents grew their own food, raised . . . — Map (db m108925) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Mount Vernon — Mount Vernon Veterans Memorial — At the Soldiers Circle
A Nation that honors it’s Veterans is a nation dedicated to preservation of a freedom won by the sacrifice of life itself. These emblems are appropriately dedicated to the valiant dead of the armed forces who ventured far, . . . — Map (db m94957) WM
Ohio (Licking County), Hebron — HebronThe Historic National Road in Ohio — Transportation Crossroad
Where the Water Met the Road While the citizens of St. Clairsville, in eastern Ohio, celebrated the groundbreaking for the National Road on July 4, 1825, construction began on the Ohio & Erie Canal on the same day at Licking Summit (now . . . — Map (db m97542) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Kirkersville — Mile MarkersKirkersville — One of Several Identical Markers
The Act of Congress in 1806 which authorized the construction of the National Road required that mile markers be placed at regular intervals. These reference points reassured travelers that they were following the correct route. They also indicated . . . — Map (db m97516) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — Belle Center JailSmall Town Artifact in a Village Park
This structure is a former jail erected in Belle Center in 1880. It is thought to have been last used May 25, 1933 then retired by the City Fathers. It was restored by the Richland Township Trustees in March 2005 and relocated to . . . — Map (db m83029) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Belle Center — Village Marshall Murray GriffinMurray Griffin Memorial Park
In tribute to: Village Marshall Murray Griffin whose life was taken during the late evening hours of July 5, 1986, while performing his sworn duty of protecting those in his community. presented by: the Law Enforcement Officers of . . . — Map (db m83064) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Lewis R. Ratleff Park
The Lewis R. Ratleff Memorial Park — Map (db m81099)
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — Quaker Meeting Place / Site of First Church and School in Rushcreek Township
Side A Quaker Meeting Place This cemetery marks the location of a Quaker Meet ing house built before 1820. Wm. Reames, a Revolutionary soldier, and Thomas Stanfield were promoters and mem bers of the society.

Side B . . . — Map (db m83220) HM

Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The First Concrete Street in America
This pavement is a replica of the original test strip placed in 1891 by George W. Bartholomew — Map (db m105441) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Bellefontaine — The Harley Long Building
The Harley Long Building This building is named in honor of a faithful and trusted employee of the Park Department for twenty- nine years. March 1, 1982 — Map (db m82289) HM
Ohio (Logan County), East Liberty — Middleburg United Methodist Church Bellringers
dedicated to all the former bellringers of the Middleburg United Methodist Church — Map (db m81852) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Northwood — Geneva CollegeThe Original Location — A Busy Station on the Underground Railroad
Geneva College established here in 1848 by Dr. J.B. Johnston moved to Beaver Falls Pa. in 1879 erected by Logan Co. Historical Society Second plaque Committee H, C. Marmon, pres. Hist. Soc. J. R. Templeton, chair O. . . . — Map (db m74869) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — 1913 FloodA History of Indian Lake
History has recorded many major floods and the devastation they created. One of the greatest floods ever in Ohio occurred in March of 1913. Rivers in the region, including the Great Miami River, overflowed their banks destroying many towns and . . . — Map (db m104195) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — Sandy Beach Bridge
The footbridge crossing the Russells Point Harbor was constructed in 1924 by Samuel “Pappy” and French Wilgus at a cost of $15,000 . It connected the east side of the Sandy Beach Amusement Park to eateries and other attractions on the . . . — Map (db m104101) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russells Point — The Villages
Russells Point In 1847, John Russell, for whom Russells Point is named, was born near the shores of the original spring-fed Indian Lake. His parents farmed near the areas we know today as Lake Ridge and O’Connors Point on the east side of . . . — Map (db m104178) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Russell's Point — Indian Lake Veterans MemorialAmerican Legion Marker
In honor of all veterans living or dead of all wars past and future dedicated to Indian Lake Post No. 413 May 28, 1984 presented by Indian Lake Unit No. 413 American Legion Auxillary (2 logos) — Map (db m85398) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Highland Gardens Veterans Monument“Flag Flying in Memory of; All Veterans”
“Flag Flying in Memory of; All Veterans” artwork (4) Armed Services logos — Map (db m80303) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Monroe Township SchoolMemories in Rural Logan County, Ohio
(artwork- etching of building) Monroe Township School 1918- 1952 site donated by Ernest and Ethel Horsley — Map (db m79335) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Pickrelltown Community ClubA Monument to a By-Gone Era
dedicated in memory of deceased members of The " Pickeraltown " Community Club — Map (db m80423) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — Pickrelltown Monument Honor Roll
(South face) In Memory Of all Monroe Township Men in service World War 1917-1918 Willis R. Yoder February 16, 1945 (West face) H.F. Bushawn Died in France October 28, 1918 Jacob I. Piatt July 21, 1944 . . . — Map (db m80448) WM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — West Liberty Water WorksWater Softening Plant — a WPA project
Water Softening Plant Erected 1941 West Liberty Ohio - - - - Milton W. Stout - Mayor Donald McAlexander - Clerk Board of Trustees of - Public Affairs Wm. Scarbourogh - President Joseph W. Craig Clyde L. Lynn . . . . . . . — Map (db m76861) HM
Ohio (Logan County), Zanesfield — Helen Wonders Blue Memorial ParkUnited Methodist Church Historic Site #358 — Two Smaller Plaques at the Ebenezer Zane Cabin Site
first plaque- Helen Wonders Blue Memorial Park donated by Robert M. Blue J.D. 1990 second plaque- United Methodist Historic Site No.358 — Map (db m80770) HM
Ohio (Lucas County), Berkey — 58- 48 — Roger T. Durbin1920 - 2000 — Driving Force Behind the National WW II Memorial
Side A Roger T.Durbin 1920- 2000 According to fellow World War II veteran and US Senator Bob Dole, Roger T. Durbin was “the public persona- the beacon- of the drive to build a National World War II Memorial in out nation’s . . . — Map (db m80534) HM
Ohio (Madison County), Lafayette — The Anderson HouseThe Historic National Road in Ohio
In 1837, when the National Road was completed through Madison County, the village of Lafayette was platted by William Minter, and this building was a tavern that served travelers. The Red Brick Tavern, which was built after the Anderson House, was . . . — Map (db m96968) HM
Ohio (Marion County), LaRue — LaRue Veterans Memorial
Dedicated in memory of the men of the LaRue area who served their country in World Wars I and II, Korea and Viet Nam — Map (db m105061) WM
Ohio (Marion County), Marion — The Underground Railroadin Marion County, Ohio
The Underground Railroad was neither underground nor a railroad, but a system of loosely connected safe havens where those escaping the brutal conditions of slavery were sheltered, fed, clothed, nursed, concealed, disguised, and instructed . . . — Map (db m92076) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Fort Recovery Civil War Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Our Civil War Veterans 1861 - 1865 Erected by W.R.C. No. 338, 1935. — Map (db m80446) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Spring Hill Cemetery Veterans Memorial
In memory of all military personnel — Map (db m97305) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), Fort Recovery — Wabash River
South Side “Oubache’ was the French name for the Wabash – an Indian word meaning white. La Salle in 1669, was the first white man to explore this stream. Long it had been a link in a well- used route for red warriors and . . . — Map (db m74353) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), Maria Stein — Maria Stein Veterans Memorial
(three American Legion logos) American Legion Post 571 Maria Stein Veterans Memorial Dedicated to the Veterans of all wars and or conflicts who honorably served and to those who gave their lives in the service of our country (five service . . . — Map (db m94415) WM
Ohio (Mercer County), St. Henry — St. Francis Catholic ChurchIn the “Land of Cross-Tipped Churches”
Dedication: 30 September 1906 Architect: William P. Ginther (1859- 1933), Akron, OH Contractor: Nicholas A. Ley, Minster, OH The parish, established in 1856 by German immigrants, was a daughter parish of St. Henry and named in honor of St. . . . — Map (db m118338) HM
Ohio (Mercer County), St. Henry — The Cranberry School Bell
This bell is the original from the Cranberry School that used to stand directly across the road from this location. The bell was hung in the tower on the southwest corner of the school. Every day the bell was rung to begin the school day and . . . — Map (db m94438) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Piqua — 29- 55 — Johnston BarnAt the Piqua Historical Area
With the intention of becoming a "gentleman farmer," John Johnston began development of his Upper Piqua farm in 1808 with a two-story log cabin and this double pen log barn. The surrounding outer sheds were built to protect the log pens from the . . . — Map (db m95026) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Pleasant Hill — Newton Township Civil War Memorial
G.A.R. Dan W Williams Post No 369 Dedicated by the grateful people of Newton Township, in memory of her fallen heroes who died in defence of the Union and who sleep in unknown graves. David Shoe Co G 110 O.V.I. John A. Book . . . — Map (db m91463) WM
Ohio (Miami County), Tipp City — Hyattsville1833 - 1874 — A Ghost Town in Tipp City, Ohio
On this site in 1833 Henry J. Hyatt established the town of Hyattsville. It consisted of twenty seven lots, north and west of this corner. Early businesses included a post office, tavern, blacksmith shop, two stores and a church. The stagecoach . . . — Map (db m79998) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Rose Hill Cemetery 1849
War Veterans buried here: American Revolution: Aaron Tullis 1753-1840 Alexander Telford 1759-1844 John W. Meredith 1760-1844 Indian Campaigns: William Gahagan, Scout for Gen. Wayne, 1794 War of 1812: 25 Soldiers, . . . — Map (db m107341) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Sheriff’s House and JailPart of the Complex in Downtown Troy
Sheriff’s House built in 1826 Jail in rear built in 1830. Both served until 1854, when the brick sheriff’s house and the stone jail across the street were completed. — Map (db m107375) HM
Ohio (Miami County), Troy — Staunton Veterans Memorial
In memory of Veterans Revolutionary War and War of 1812 They served with honor — Map (db m97837) WM
Ohio (Miami County), West Milton — The Brick WallWest Branch Burial Ground, Marker #2 — Site of Old Meeting House
Erected 1948 in memory of Samuel and Anna Jay Jones this wall contains brick from the Friends Meeting House which stood across the road in active service from 1804 to 1906 — Map (db m90540) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Burkhardt HillSite of the Original Soapbox Derby
. . . — Map (db m105816) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Cpl. Tony Stein Memorial Bridge
Cpl. Tony Stein Memorial Bridge In honor of Cpl. Tony Stein, USMC Congessional Medal of Honor WW II Iwo Jima killed in action March, 1, 1945 presented by Kaiser Aluminum 1998 — Map (db m110380) WM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Deeds Barnthe Replica — With the Original, in It’s Third Location
Being too busy to change the phonograph record, the men working in this building listened to the song, “When You and I Were Young, Maggie” over and over through the night.

This is a replica of the carriage barn that stood behind . . . — Map (db m110322) HM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — 27- 57 — McCook FieldCradle of Aviation Innovation
Side A:

McCook Field Cradle of Aviation Innovation

Interest in the new field of aeronautics grew dramatically when the United States entered the World War I in 1917. The army chose Dayton as the site for a . . . — Map (db m116551) HM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Miami Valley Hospital1951 Cornerstone
In 1951, when Irvin G. Bieser, Sr. was president of the hospital Board of Trustees, this cornerstone was placed during construction of the Main Building. A construction addition in the 1970’s relocated the entry way and the cornerstone became . . . — Map (db m85991) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Testing, Testing, TestingMcCook Field 1917- 1927 — Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park Aviation Trail
Where today you see ball fields and green space, there was once a 254-acre military-industrial complex dedicated to advancing aviation. Some four dozen laboratories, hangars, shops, and offices were hurriedly built here in fall of 1917, the . . . — Map (db m116695) HM WM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — To the Memory of William McKinley
To The Memory of William McKinley born Jan. 29th, 1843 died Sept. 14th, 1901 soldier in the Army of the Union representative in Congress Governor of Ohio President of the United States statesman, patriot, martyr a Christian . . . — Map (db m104552) HM WM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — United Theological SeminaryBonebrake Seminary — The Church of the United Brethren in Christ
The Church of the United Brethren in Christ first opened United Theological Seminary in 1871 on Dayton’s West Side. The school changed its name in 1909 to Bonebrake Seminary in honor of six pioneer ministers. The union of the United Brethren . . . — Map (db m109449) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Victoria Theater
Victoria Theater built in 1866 listed in the National Registry of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior this plaque placed in honor of the Community Leadership supporting the 1990 renovation — Map (db m96049) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Kettering — 22- 57 — Cassano’s Pizza King®
Side A Kettering grocer Victor “Vic” Cassano, Sr. (1922- 2002) and his mother-in-law Caroline “Mom” Dinisi (1893- 1987) opened what became Cassano’s Pizza King on June 4, 1953. Their signature square-cut, . . . — Map (db m97267) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Moraine — Zion Memorial ChurchOn Old Dixie Highway
The first church in Moraine was Zion Memorial Church of Christ established in 1820. The first church was built of logs with a stone foundation. The cemetery also was started at this time. Between 1820 and 1826 the first ministers were circuit riders . . . — Map (db m104616) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Vandalia — The Crossroads of AmericaVandalia — The Historic National Road in Ohio
Transportation has played a significant role in Vandalia since the community’s beginnings as a part of Butler Township. In April 1811, a construction contract was awarded for the first 10-mile section of National Road beginning at Cumberland, . . . — Map (db m96487) HM
Ohio (Muskingum County), New Concord — John GlennThe Historic National Road in Ohio
John Glenn, Jr. is a retired U.S. Marine Corps pilot, astronaut, and U.S. Senator. He was born in Cambridge, Ohio, on July 18, 1921, and moved to New Concord when he was two. On February 20, 1962, Glenn flew on the Friendship 7 space mission, . . . — Map (db m98607) HM
Ohio (Muskingum County), Norwich — The Historic National Road in OhioMile Markers
The Act of Congress in 1806, which authorized the construction of the National Road, required that mile markers be placed at regular intervals. These reference points reassured travelers that they were following the correct route. They also . . . — Map (db m93724) HM
Ohio (Preble County), College Corner — 7- 68 — Historic Hopewell / Historic Hopewell Cemetery
Historic Hopewell The Hopewell Associate Reformed Church and Cemetery, now known as Historic Hopewell, was founded in 1808 in a log building that was replaced in 1826 with the present building. It was built by the area's first settlers, . . . — Map (db m84715) HM
Ohio (Preble County), Eaton — Mound Hill Cemetery Civil War Memorial
in memory of Union Soldiers who lie buried in unmarked graves — Map (db m89772) WM
Ohio (Preble County), Eaton — Physicians in the Indian Wars / Roster of Physicians in the Indian Wars
Physicians in the Indian Wars Pioneer physicians came into the wilderness that was to become Ohio in the 1780’s, to serve in the respective campaigns of generals Josiah Harmar, Arthur St. Clair, and Anthony Wayne in their . . . — Map (db m85567) HM WM
Ohio (Preble County), Eaton — 9-68 — Van Ausdal-Donohoe House
This mid-19th-century structure, built in the Federal style with Italianate detail added later, was once owned by town pioneer and merchant Cornelius Van Ausdal. It was later the home of his daughter Lucinda, her husband Joseph Donohoe, and . . . — Map (db m107651) HM
Ohio (Putnam County), Columbus Grove — Truro CemeteryPleasant Township Veterans Memorial
In honor of all who served (five service logos)

Back side- POW MIA logo, You are not forgotten — Map (db m94570) WM

Ohio (Shelby County), Anna — 4-75 — Wenger One Room SchoolDinsmore District #4
Dinsmore Township School District No. 4 was formed in 1865 following a decision by the township’s board of education that a school would be built in the center of every four sections of land, or every four square miles. This placement of school . . . — Map (db m77671) HM
Ohio (Shelby County), Maplewood — Beehive Community ChurchMiami Christian Church — once a thriving rural fellowship
site of Beehive Miami Christian Church 1875- 1998 — Map (db m77631) HM
Ohio (Shelby County), Sidney — HardinTurtle Creek Township
First County Seat of Shelby County 1819- 1820 Hardin was founded in October, 1816 by Thomas McClish, Joseph Steinberger and James Lenox. These men were also instrumental in developing Shelby County, which included the areas of Allen county . . . — Map (db m86765) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Alliance — 26-76 — The Crossing
The coming of the railroads to Alliance is an important event in Stark County's history. In 1851, the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad (running SE to NW) and the Ohio & Pennsylvania Railroad (E to W) intersected at this location. It was known as . . . — Map (db m124238) HM
Ohio (Union County), Marysville — 2- 80 — Amerine Settlement / Amerine Cemetery
Amerine Settlement The first permanent settlement in the Marysville area, was founded in 1817 by Revolutionary War veteran Abraham Amrine (1761-1849) and his sons. The Amrines emigrated from Switzerland to Pennsylvania in the early 1700s . . . — Map (db m92843) HM
Ohio (Union County), Marysville — Amerine Veterans Memorial
(front) U.S. In memoriam War veterans resting here Revolutionary 1812 • Civil (rear) Rev. Amrine, Abraham Amrine, Adrian Hall, Peter Peacock, Thomas Welch, Samuel Westlake, George 1812 Coder, . . . — Map (db m92844) WM
Ohio (Union County), Marysville — 7- 80 — Cyprian Lee House / Colonel Noah Orr, “Union County Giant”
Cyprian Lee House Cyprian Lee (1792-1854) settled in the Union County wilderness in 1820 and purchased the 118 West Sixth Street lot in 1828 for $6. County treasurer, coroner, shoemaker, and anti-slavery activist, Lee lived here in a log . . . — Map (db m93554) HM
Ohio (Union County), Marysville — DAR Revolutionary Veterans MemorialOne of Many in Oakdale Cemetery
Front (DAR logo) Dedicated to the soldiers of the Revolutionary War who gave us our heritage of freedom

Back Erected by Hannah Emerson Dustin chapter 1962 — Map (db m92830) WM

Ohio (Union County), Marysville — Spanish American Veterans Memorial
Erected by S L Hill Camp 1931 United Spanish War Veterans 1898- 1902 — Map (db m92831) WM
Ohio (Union County), Milford Center — 12- 80 — Bigelow Bridge / The Darby Plains
Bigelow Bridge Ax Handle Road Constructed in 1873, the Bigelow Bridge spans approximately 100 feet across Little Darby Creek. Reuben Partridge built the superstructure at a cost of $12.50 per linear foot ($1,500). Bercupile & Snell built the . . . — Map (db m93467) HM
Ohio (Union County), Milford Center — Milford Center Veterans MemorialThird Monument in Milford Center Cemetery — The VFW Monument
Plaque #1 Compliments of V.F.W. Post 3320

Plaque #2 In honor of those who have served Donated by Bud’s Masonry MAVFW 3320 Dale Phelps VFW 4599 — Map (db m87050) HM

Ohio (Union County), Milford Center — 10- 80 — Union Township Civil War MonumentMultiple Markers in a Rural Setting — The Ohio Historical Marker
Front Text: The following notice appeared in the Marysville Tribune newspaper, February 5, 1873: To Arms! To Arms! The Monument Association of Union Township propose holding a Fair and Festival in Milford Centre on Feb 20 and 21...the . . . — Map (db m87021) WM
Ohio (Union County), Milford Center — Union Township Civil War MonumentThe Original Monument
The block base of the obelisk contains the names of 39 local men, killed in the war. Unit identification, and place or battle where the man died, are listed with some of the names. Cities, and battles are inscribed on the obelisk. The monument . . . — Map (db m87023) WM
Ohio (Union County), Raymond — Broadway Cemetery Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All who served their Country In memory of PFC. Dyer J. Bird Co. D, 166th Inft. 1900-1918 First Soldier Killed Rainbow Div. W.W. I Interred in France Meuse-Argonne Cemetery Erected by Broadway . . . — Map (db m89259) WM
Ohio (Union County), Richwood — North Union District Veterans' Memorial Monument
To our veterans who served on land, sea, or air. You stood there ready to defend our country in time of peace. In war, you suffered its horrors, were wounded, were prisoners of war, are missing in action, or perished. We . . . — Map (db m89300) WM
Ohio (Union County), Unionville Center — Darby Township Veterans Memorial — In Old Darby Cemetery
In memory of Unknowns from Darby Township who served our country with integrity patriotism and valor Honoring all veterans — Map (db m87069) WM
Ohio (Union County), Unionville Center — Unionville CenterThe Sager Settlement on Darby Creek — Small Village on an Old Road
Dedicated to founders John, Frederick and David Sager who established Unionville on February 8, 1847. Incorporated as the Village of Unionville Center in 1879 Ohio Bicentennial Celebration June 21, 2003 — Map (db m87104) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Ichabod Corwin
Upon this site in March, 1796 Ichabod Corwin erected the first cabin on land which is now Lebanon, Ohio

This tablet placed by Turtle Creek Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1962 — Map (db m99421) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Middletown — The First Pedigree of a Poland China HogA Strictly American Breed of Swine
The first pedigree of a Poland China Hog was written on this farm in August 1876 by W. C. Hankinson, owner of the farm, and Carl Freigua, compiler of the original record

This strictly American breed of swine originated within a radius . . . — Map (db m93868) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Morrow — Mounts StationThe First Settlement of the Virginia Military Lands — A Reclaimed Marker
The First Settlement of the Virginia Military Lands in Warren County was located a short distance west of here by William Mounts in 1795 dedicated: October 6, 1940 — Map (db m99422) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Springboro — Friends Cemetery of the Springborough Quaker MeetingAnother of the Rural Series of Central Ohio Quakers
Members of the religious Society of Friends were instrumental in the founding and development of Springboro.

This plot contains the remains of Springboro founder Jonathan Wright (1782- 1855), a Quaker leader who donated part of his land . . . — Map (db m84495) HM

Pennsylvania (Indianan County), Indiana — The Catawba and Kittanning Native American TrailsCrossing Point of Two Ancient Pathways
The Catawba and Kittanning early Native American paths intersected near this location. The Catawba served as a major north south trail while the Kittanning ran east and west. Both offered Native Americans and early Europeans a path- way to a . . . — Map (db m89218) HM

869 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 669
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.