Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

535 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 335
 
Centralia Pulp and Paper Mill Marker image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, May 17, 2007
Centralia Pulp and Paper Mill Marker
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Honaunau — Pu‘uhona O Hōnaunau - Place of Refuge
This ancient Hawaii Sanctuary (Puuhonua) was preserved through the foresight of Charles R. Bishop who added it to the Bishop Estate. With the cooperation of the State of Hawaii, the trustees of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Estate have dedicated it to . . . — Map (db m2981) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Mount Carroll — Shimer College
Mount Carroll Seminary was founded as a coeducational institution in 1853 by Frances Ann Wood (later Mrs. Shimer). After the Civil War, enrollment was limited to women. Rechartered in 1896 as the Frances Shimer Academy of the University of Chicago, . . . — Map (db m34479) HM
Illinois (Carroll County), Savanna — Plum River Falls
Steamboats once navigated to this point, where Plum River Falls powered saw, powder, grist, and flour mills at various times between 1836 and 1885. Near here the Rock Island Military and Prophetstown Trails to Galena were intersected as early as the . . . — Map (db m34261) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Auditorium Building — Adler and Sullivan, architects — 1889
The extraordinary engineering talent of Dankmar Adler and the architectural genius of Louis Sullivan created this building to reflect the cultural maturity of Chicago. Combining hotel and office space with a splendid theater, the Auditorium was a . . . — Map (db m34975) HM
Minnesota (Nobles County), Adrian — Military Highways
As the State was explored and settled by Euroamericans, it became necessary to connect one place of settlement to another. The Native Americans had numerous trails that they used, some of which had developed from animal paths. The Fur traders and . . . — Map (db m34464) HM
South Dakota (Custer County), Custer — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-14 Lightning Creek: located 0.7 mile NW on road 288. Companies: 1783V--10/17/33-Spring 34 791--4/30/34-Fall 41 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused . . . — Map (db m34296) HM
South Dakota (Custer County), Custer — The Hearst Highway — Dedicated to the memory of
George Hearst (1820-1891) United States Senator, mining engineer, sportsman, speculator. Starting with nothing, he developed three of the fabled mines in the American West -- The Ophir, the Anaconda, and the Homestake -- and founded one of the . . . — Map (db m34580) HM
South Dakota (Custer County), Custer — The Needles Eye — One Rock Formation Offers Millions of Stories
Geology provides the foundation of scenery in the Black Hills. From rocky outcroppings to towering spires, the northern portion of Custer State Park highlights the essence of the central core. The central core is a region of rocks mainly . . . — Map (db m34626) HM
South Dakota (Jackson County), Kadoka — Closer than You Imagined
...for years, countless travellers had driven across Interstate 90 in western South Dakota, en route to Mt. Rushmore National Memorial, or Yellowstone National Park,...within sight of nearly a dozen nuclear missile sites.... Tim Pavek, . . . — Map (db m34295) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-6 (Roubaix): 100 yards N of Lake entrance: W of road. Companies: 792--6/3/33-5/15/35: 10/18/35 6/1/40; 10/1/40-10/11/41; 2759V-(Detachment from Park Creek)--5/15/35-10/18/35. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief . . . — Map (db m34248) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Jewish American Pioneers and Deadwood
Jewish American pioneers significantly contributed to the commercial development and establishment of responsible government in Deadwood. Gritty Jewish Westerners, such as Sol Star, arrived with his business partner Seth Bullock in the midst of the . . . — Map (db m27071) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Deadwood — Second Deadwood Gold Discovery
Near this point in 1875 occurred the second of two initial gold discoveries in the Deadwood area. It was made by the Lardner party of eight prospectors, steered here by John B. Pearson, a man already familiar with Deadwood Gulch. Their "Discovery . . . — Map (db m34830) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — Homestake Open Cut Mine
This is Homestake's Open Cut Mine, one of the best known landmarks in the Black Hills. It is the site of the original discovery in 1876 of the Homestake claim, named for "making a man rich enough to make his home stake (enough money to return home . . . — Map (db m34673) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The Homestake Gold Mine and Open Cut
The Homestake lode, the basis for the great Homestake Mining Company, was discovered by Moses Manuel, who, with his brother Fred, had come to the Black Hills in 1875. The two brothers, along with Hank Harney, officially located the claim on April 9, . . . — Map (db m34714) HM
South Dakota (Lawrence County), Lead — The Open Cut
The Open Cut was once a solid mountain on which Fred and Moses Manuel with Hank Harney located the original Homestake claim on April 9, 1876. It is estimated that up to 14 different mining companies removed 48 million tons of ore and waste from . . . — Map (db m34674) HM
South Dakota (Meade County), Sturgis — Bear Butte — Mountain of Plains Indians — Cheyenne (Nowawaste) Sioux (Mato Paha)
This 4,422 foot high volcanic bubble rises 1,200 feet above the plains, a guide for centuries to Indians, fur traders, soldiers, cowboys, and travelers. It was visited or passed by Verendrye, 1743; Lt. G. K. Warren, 1855; Hayden, the scientist and . . . — Map (db m34305) HM
South Dakota (Meade County), Sturgis — Bear Butte (Mato Paha) Indian Camp
This area, extending along Bear Butte Creek, was for centuries a select camp site for the Plains Indians, who found here mountain spring water, wood, protection from the bitter north winds, together with much game and wild fruit in season. Here, or . . . — Map (db m34141) HM
South Dakota (Meade County), Sturgis — Camp J.G. Sturgis / Scooptown
Camp J.G. Sturgis Named for Lt. J.G. Sturgis, killed June 25, 1876 at Battle of Little Big Horn. Established July 1, 1878 in this area by Cos. G.F.I.K., 1st US Infantry; D.G. 11th US Infantry; Hq. & Trs. A.C.D.E.G.I.K.M. 7th US Cavalry; Col. . . . — Map (db m34404) HM
South Dakota (Meade County), Sturgis — Civilian Conservation Corps Camps
Camps D-Army-1 & SCS-6 (Fechner): 1/2 mile S on W edge of Ft. Meade D-Army-1 company: 2758--7/20/34-10/31/35. SCS-6 companies: 2765--10/15/36-5/27/42; 4725V--5/28/42-7/27/42. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief program during . . . — Map (db m34300) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Hill City — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-2 (DF-2) Horse Creek: Located 2 miles W on Horse Creek. Companies: 791--5/22/33-4/30/34 2752--7/30/34-10/21/35 2761--10/25/35-01/36 2748--01/36-5/25/36 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that . . . — Map (db m34275) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Hill City — Hill City
First laid out as a gold camp in February 1876 by Thomas Harvey, John Miller and Hugh McCullough, the rich strikes in the Northern Hills made it a deserted village by May 1876. Its deserted cabins had many transient occupants and the cabin that . . . — Map (db m34250) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Hill City — Sheridan — 1875-1942
Sheridan, located 1/2 mile NE, now 30 feet under water, was named for General Philip Sheridan and founded in 1875 on Cheyenne-Deadwood Trail, as Golden, in the belief that fabulous placer gold existed here. Still Indian Country and everybody a . . . — Map (db m34276) HM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Johnson Siding — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-4: Pactola Campsite inundated by Lake Pactola. Companies: 1789--6/8/33-10/35 2748--5/25/36-1940 The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army . . . — Map (db m34249) HM
West Virginia (Pendleton County), Riverton — Germany Valley
In Germany Valley is the site of Hinkle's Fort built in 1761–1762. It was the only defense of the South Branch after Fort Upper Tract and Fort Seybert were destroyed by Shawnee Indians under Killbuck, April 27–28, 1758. — Map (db m23303) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Lodi — Historic Tree
The Palmer Tree, a stately burr oak was a mere acorn in front of the Palmer Family log cabin, when Lodi was settled in 1848. Its testimony to a peaceful community continues, as it stands proudly to welcome all who enter the Lodi Valley Historical . . . — Map (db m33882) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet
This tablet marks the place near which Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet entered the Wisconsin River June 14, 1673 Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter D. A. R. 1905 — Map (db m2342) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Portage — Site of Fort Winnebago
1828 — 1845 Surrender of Red Bird Noted Winnebago Chief 1827 Erected by Wau-Bun Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1924 — Map (db m4609) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Wisconsin Dells — H. H. Bennett Studio — Kilbourn Landmark — America’s Oldest Photographic Studio ·  Established in 1865
This building was constructed in 1875 by Henry Hamilton Bennett, pioneer landscape photographer, nationally known for his artistry, technical excellence and inventive genius. His views of this area brought the earliest tourists to his beloved Dells . . . — Map (db m7851) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 29 — Blue Mounds Fort
The onset of the Black Hawk War in northwestern Illinois in April, 1832 triggered panic in southwestern Wisconsin's lead mining region, prompting erection of over a dozen stockades. On an open prairie knoll 3/4 mile south of this marker, area miners . . . — Map (db m35412) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 18 — Brigham Park
Ebenezer Brigham (1789-1861), first permanent white settler of Dane County, came here as a prospector in 1828. The inn he built for his miners became popular with travelers on the old Military Road, and Blue Mounds became a well-known landmark. . . . — Map (db m36125) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cambridge — 11 — Koshkonong
Koshkonong Prairie with its twin churches at both East and West Koshkonong is one of the focal points from which Norwegian Lutheranism spread to many parts of the American continent. In 1844 at the request of pioneer Norwegian immigrants . . . — Map (db m36145) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — 15 — Haney's Tavern
In 1838 at the foot of this bluff Berry Haney, a migrant from Cross Plains, Tennessee, established the Cross Plains Post Office in a log house. Early Cross Plains was the site of important military road crossings and Haney became the pioneer . . . — Map (db m32617) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — "Let The Great Spirits Soar"
This memorial, carved by Harry R. Whitehorse from a storm-damaged hackberry tree, honors his Indian ancestors and is a tribute to the Effigy Mound Builders. Sculpture funded by City of Madison Committee for the Arts Dane County Cultural Affairs . . . — Map (db m33497) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — 9XM - WHA — "The Oldest Station in the Nation"
On this campus pioneer research and experimentation in "wireless" led to successful transmissions of voice and music in 1917, and the beginning of broadcasting on a scheduled basis in 1919. Experimental station 9XM transmitted telegraphic . . . — Map (db m33629) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Grand Experiment — Bascom Hill Historic District
Fed up with the formalities of traditional education, Professor Alexander Meikeljohn decided in 1927 to try something new, converting a university residence hall into an "Experimental College." Students took no tests and received no grades, but . . . — Map (db m31986) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Stage for All — Bascom Hill Historic District
Not long after she was denied permission to perform in the D.A.R. Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., because she was African-American, famous singer Marian Anderson found welcome at the University of Wisconsin. She sang at the Memorial Union in . . . — Map (db m32697) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 36 — American Exchange Bank — 1871 — Shipman
This Italian Renaissance Revival style structure, a distinguished example of its type, was designed by Madison architect Stephen Vaughn Shipman. Built of Madison sandstone as the Park Savings Bank, the structure occupies the former site of the . . . — Map (db m33644) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Armory & Gymnasium — University of Wisconsin - Madison
Armory & Gymnasium University of Wisconsin - Madison has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m34019) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 65 — B. B. Clarke House — Claude and Starck — 1899
One of Claude and Starck's earliest designs, this Queen Anne house has a Gothic theme, with pointed-arched windows and steeply pitched roofs. It was designed for B. B. Clarke, who earned a fortune in Indiana by manufacturing threshing machines . . . — Map (db m32867) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 8 — Bashford House — 1856-7
This house is an example of the towered Italian Villa style executed in sandstone. Its square, hipped roof, three story tower, or campanile, is unique among old Madison residences. The house was first occupied by H. K. Lawrence, banker and . . . — Map (db m32466) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bear — Wah-Zhe-Dah
Common type of ancient Indian mound - length 82 feet — Map (db m33425) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 94 — Bear and Lynx Effigy Mounds — 500-1000 A.D.
These mounds were constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33501) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bird Effigy
Common type of Indian emblematic mound: Body 52½ feet, wingspread formerly about 133 feet — Map (db m33423) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 34 — Bird Effigy Mound — 500-1000 A.D.
This mound was constructed by people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33532) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Black Hawk — Sauk Chief
Black Hawk, Sauk chief, retreated through these grounds July 21, 1832 pursued by militia and U.S. regulars. — Map (db m32247) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 1 — Black Hawk — Lake Monona: Change
Madison changed with great speed in the 1830s: from Ho-Chunk home to war zone to capital city. Powerful forces were gathering against the Ho-Chunks. To gain more land, southwest Wisconsin lead miners pressured the U.S. government to remove the . . . — Map (db m35314) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Born in Madison, the Wisconsin Idea changed the nation — The Madison Heritage Series
In the early 20th century, experts from around the country came to study Wisconsin’s “laboratory of democracy.” The state’s Progressive politicians, led by “Fighting Bob”—Governor Robert La Follette Sr.—were using . . . — Map (db m32939) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 43 — Braley House — 1875-76
The house of Judge Arthur B. Braley was a social and cultural center of the Mansion Hill area in the Nineteenth Century. The house was built of cream brick with incised stone lintels in the Late Gothic Revival style. Braley, a patron of the literary . . . — Map (db m33723) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Breese Stevens Field
Madison's oldest sports park is named for Breese Stevens (1834-1903). A New York native, he came to Wisconsin in 1856 to look after family landed interests. Stevens became Mayor of Madison in 1884, UW Regent in 1891, and Doctor of Law in 1902. . . . — Map (db m32639) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 111 — Camp Randall
From these historic grounds went forth Wisconsin's sons to fight for the preservation of the nation in the American Civil War -- 1861-1865. More than 70,000 men trained for service within the boundaries of this camp named after Alexander W. Randall, . . . — Map (db m31743) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city — The Madison Heritage Series
Even before Madison was founded, people met to exchange money and merchandise not far from this spot. Five hundred Ho-Chunk camped near the square in 1832 to swap furs for trader Oliver Armel’s goods. People began building businesses on Capitol . . . — Map (db m33482) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 351 — Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison
Once located at this site on North Blount Street, the Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison operated from 1940 until its closing in 1956. Founded by Lawrence Rabbitt and Reuben Sand, the company was one of the largest manufacturers of figurines in the . . . — Map (db m31833) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Chamberlin Rock
This tablet commemorates the services to Wisconsin of Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin, leader in science and education, State Geologist of Wisconsin, 1873-1882, President of the University, 1887-1892. As State Geologist he conducted a survey . . . — Map (db m32249) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 86 — City Horse Barn — Built 1910-1914
This simple brick structure is a rare survivor of the horse-and-wagon era. Built as part of the old city yards, the barn housed up to nine draft horses whose job it was to pull maintenance and service vehicles. Each of the nine windows on the Dayton . . . — Map (db m32640) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 50 — City Market — 1909 — Robert L. Wright
The City Market reflects the active civic improvement work in Madison at the turn of the century. Like other public projects, the Market was intended to enhance the advantages of city life. The building design by Madison architect Robert L. Wright . . . — Map (db m32638) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Confederate Rest
The valiant Confederate soldiers who lie buried here were members of the 1st Alabama Inf. Reg., Confederate States of America. They were captured in the spring of 1862 in the Civil War Battle of Island No. 10 in the Mississippi River south of Cairo, . . . — Map (db m33779) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Conical Mound — 0 - 400 A.D.
This mound was constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33245) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 56 — Curtis-Kittleson House — 1901
William D. Curtis commissioned the architectural firm of J. O. Gordon and F. W. Paunack to design this imposing brick house with Queen Anne style. Hallmarks of the style include the complex shape, wide veranda and corner tower, highlighted by . . . — Map (db m32670) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovering Vitamins and Trace Minerals — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
By feeding diets of single grains to sixteen dairy heifers, University of Wisconsin scientists under the direction of biochemist E.B. Hart in 1907 set the stage for the discovery of vitamins and essential trace minerals. These feeding experiments . . . — Map (db m32356) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Disease-Resistant Plants — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
At the end of the 19th century, a fungal infection called cabbage yellows threatened the entire Wisconsin cabbage crop. University of Wisconsin plant pathologist John C. Walker solved the problem by developing strains of cabbage resistant to the . . . — Map (db m32398) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Eagle Effigy
Largest Indian Mound of its Type in Wisconsin Body 131 Feet Wingspread 624 Feet Marked by the Wisconsin Archeological Society July 30, 1910 — Map (db m35130) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 19 — Edgewood
This marks the site of two structures that together spanned 114 years of Dane County history. Overlooking Lake Wingra, Edgewood Villa was built in 1855 for New York lawyer, John Ashmead. In 1856, Samuel Marshall, co-founder of the Marshall and . . . — Map (db m33519) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Edna Taylor Conservation Park
Edna E.E. Taylor was a teacher, writer and, in her later years, a dairy farmer. A believer in "Sensible Ecology" she proposed to sell 37 of her 98 acres of land to the city of Madison. Added to 10 adjacent acres already held by the city and 11 acres . . . — Map (db m33322) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 38 — Fess Hotel — 1858, 1901
A hotel for the common man throughout its history, the nineteenth century facade of the Fess remains a reminder of the commercial character of the King Street and Doty Street area. George Fess, the original proprietor of the hotel, catered to . . . — Map (db m32944) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — First Reliable Test of Milk Quality — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
A milestone in modern dairying was the development of a simple and accurate measure of the butterfat content of milk. University of Wisconsin biochemist Stephen M. Babcock in 1890 developed the test that made him internationally famous and . . . — Map (db m32385) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Forging Agrarian Democracy — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
The modern discipline of agricultural and applied economics owes much to University of Wisconsin scholars Henry C. Taylor and Benjamin H. Hibbard for their seminal work on the economic, political, and social meaning of land ownership. Agricultural . . . — Map (db m32806) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 44 — Frank J. Hess and Sons Cooperage / Frank J. Hess, Cooper — 1904 - 1966 / 1870 - 1958
Side A The Frank J. Hess and Sons Cooperage became Wisconsin's largest independent family-owned cooperage, manufacturing quarter-sawn white oak beer, wine, and whiskey barrels. The two factory buildings located near the railroad tracks were . . . — Map (db m31788) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 23 — Gates of Heaven Synagogue — 1863
Gates of Heaven was designed for Madison's first Jewish congregation by local architect August Kutzbock in the German Romanesque style. Kutzbock also used this distinctive style for the Pierce and Keenan houses at Pinckney and Gilman. The building . . . — Map (db m32381) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Gay Liberation Sculpture
In 1984, the George Segal sculpture, Gay Liberation, was placed on this site through the efforts of the gay and lesbian community and the New Harvest Foundation. In 1991, the sculpture was moved to its original intended home in New York City's . . . — Map (db m32943) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Genetically Superior Crops — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
University of Wisconsin geneticist R.A. Brink brought hybrid corn to Wisconsin, releasing the state's first hybrid for production in 1933. Eight years later ninety percent of Wisconsin corn was hybrid. Soon the yield per acre was tripled. Brink also . . . — Map (db m32396) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 5 — Gilmore House — 1908 — Frank Lloyd Wright
This residence, called the "Airplane House," illustrates the essence of the Prairie School style of architecture. The strong feeling of horizontally is given by sweeping eaves; banded, leaded casement windows; horizontal wood trim; and site . . . — Map (db m32504) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Global Vision — Bascom Hill Historic District
In 1961, more than 100 University of Wisconsin students and graduates applied to spend two years volunteering in some of the world's neediest countries as part of a new program known as the Peace Corps. Their participation began a long relationship . . . — Map (db m31951) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Governor Leonard Farwell lived here, in his octagonal mansion — The Madison Heritage Series
Madison was little more than a few buildings and a swamp in 1847 when Leonard Farwell bought large amounts of land here. Orphaned at 11, Farwell built a very successful hardware business in Milwaukee while still in his 20s. He would soon transform . . . — Map (db m32953) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 45 — Grace Episcopal Church — 1855-58 — James Douglas
Designed by Milwaukee architect James Douglas, and constructed of local sandstone, Grace Episcopal Church is a distinguished example of the Gothic Revival style. Inspired by early English models, the corner tower contains a full carillon of bells. . . . — Map (db m33076) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 28 — Greenbush
Once a marshy area off the shores of Lake Monona, this triangular shaped neighborhood became a dream for Italian immigrants during the early 1900's. Greenbush developed into one of America's countless Little Italys, complemented with Jewish, Black . . . — Map (db m32636) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Hans Christian Heg
Colonel 15th Wis. Vols. Born in Norway Dec. 21, 1829 Fell at Chickamauga Sept. 19, 1863 Norwegian Americans gave this memorial to the State of Wisconsin — Map (db m33780) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Here was Madison’s first African-American neighborhood — The Madison Heritage Series
John Hill first set eyes on Madison while visiting a relative who was attending the University of Wisconsin. He moved his family here from Atlanta in 1910 to join a modest community of about 140 African Americans. In 1917, Hill bought a house and . . . — Map (db m33612) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — In Memory of Our Beloved Sons
In memory of our beloved sons who paid the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m33778) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 90 — Italian Workmen's Club — 1922/1936
One of the few buildings remaining from the original Italian community in Greenbush, the Italian Workmen's Club was constructed by volunteer labor in 1922, with a major renovation in 1936. John Icke, local contractor and benefactor of the Italian . . . — Map (db m32642) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 24 — Jacobs House I — 1937 — Frank Lloyd Wright
Built for Herbert Jacobs, Madison journalist, this L-plan structure is the first of Wright's Usonian houses designed for middle income families. The horizontal emphasis of the earlier Prairie School style is evident. Innovative construction . . . — Map (db m33500) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John A. Johnson made Madison's Factory District Flourish — The Madison Heritage Series
John A. Johnson made a bold move when he co-founded an agricultural implement company in Madison in 1880. Many civic leaders opposed manufacturing, fearing the workers would lower the city's moral and intellectual tone. But Johnson proved his . . . — Map (db m32919) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 59 — John George Ott House — 1873
The Ott house is one of the finest High Victorian houses in Madison and the grandest remaining 19th century mansion in the Third Lake Ridge Historic District. German craftsmen probably executed the intricate woodwork on porches and bays, detailed . . . — Map (db m32699) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 365 — John Mann House
Once the centerpiece of a 130 acre farm, this stone house and adjacent outbuildings were built by New York native John Mann in 1856. Of classical proportions, the vernacular Mann House displays a mixture of Greek Revival and Italianate architectural . . . — Map (db m33643) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John Nolen Causeway
This causeway overlooking Lake Monona and downtown Madison is named after John Nolen (1869-1937). A nationally known landscape architect, Nolen was retained by the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association to study ways to make the city more . . . — Map (db m32731) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 18 — Joseph Stoner House — 1858
This simple Italianate sandstone house, constructed in a masonry pattern peculiar to southern Wisconsin, was built for undersheriff, jailor, and horse dealer Andrew Bishop. It was later owned by W. B. Jarvis, lawyer and land speculator. In the . . . — Map (db m32441) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 3 — Keenan House — 1858
Originally built in the early Romanesque Revival style, this house was altered in 1870 by the addition of a mansard roof. The Milwaukee cream brick structure was built for, but never occupied by, Napolean Bonaparte Van Slyke, first cashier of the . . . — Map (db m32383) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 10 — Kendall House — 1855
Pioneer banker J. E. Kendall built this two-and-one half story Italianate home in 1855. The mansard roof of the Second French Empire style was added between 1872 and 1879. This house stands as one of the four corner houses on Big Bug Hill, also . . . — Map (db m32467) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 14 — Keystone House
Squire William Pethrick, English barrister and gentleman farmer, used native stone and timber to build this house here in 1853 on 30 acres of land. Pethrick chose the site because he believed that Madison's State Street would eventually be extended . . . — Map (db m32470) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 52 — Kircher House — 1877
An example of a High Victorian Italianate style pattern book house design, this cream brick dwelling was built by John Kircher, a German carpenter and contractor, in 1892. After a decade of absentee ownership, the house was bought by Adolph Klose . . . — Map (db m32730) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Leaders in Science — Bascom Hill Historic District
The University of Wisconsin's setting along the shores of Lake Mendota made it a natural place to found the study of lakes in North America. But advances in limnology, which was first studied here in the 1880s, are only one aspect of a long legacy . . . — Map (db m33646) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Lincoln Statue
First Marker: The original of this statue was provided by joint appropriations of the Congress of the United States and the State of Kentucky as a national memorial located in Hodgenville, Kentucky, Lincoln's native town. This, the only . . . — Map (db m32091) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 93 — Lizard Effigy Mound — 500-1000 A.D.
These mounds were constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33503) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Lt. Gerald Stull USAF
"On May 5, 1958, Lt. Gerald Stull USAF was returning to Truax Field from a training mission when his F-102A fighter jet faltered and headed toward the residential neighborhood along Hudson Park. Lt. Stull forced the jet back toward the lake, at . . . — Map (db m33246) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Madison Hotel — (1837-1863)
The Madison Hotel was built and owned by Col. Augustus A. Bird, one of the builders of the first Capitol in Madison. From this hotel, he waged a successful fight to keep Madison the Capital City. Many of Madison's most prominent visitors, . . . — Map (db m33722) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Madison is an Indian mound capital — The Madison Heritage Series
At least 887 earthen Indian mounds once dotted the land around lakes Mendota, Monona, Wingra, Waubesa, and Kegonsa—so many that archaeologist Charles E. Brown once suggested Madison be renamed Mound City. Most southern Wisconsin mounds were . . . — Map (db m35551) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Mass Production of Penicillin — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
During World War II countless lives were saved through the use of the antibiotic penicillin, a natural product of a mold. However, the drug became widely available only after a method was developed to mass-produce it from a selected and genetically . . . — Map (db m32572) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 83 — Monona Lake Assembly Normal Hall — D. R. Jones, Architect — 1884
This pavilion was built as a 450-seat lecture hall for the Monona Lake Assembly. Established to provide instruction for Sunday school teachers, it soon became a popular summer camp for tourists from throughout the Midwest. As many as 15,000 came . . . — Map (db m35403) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 2 — Mound City — Lake Monona: People
More than a thousand mounds once dotted the shores of Madison's lakes, so many that archaeologist Charles Brown favored the name Mound City for Madison. In the early 1900s, Brown found 160 mounds in 17 groups around Lake Monona. Native people . . . — Map (db m35431) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 202 — North Hall
The first building erected by the University of Wisconsin-Madison was North Hall, opened as North Dormitory for men on September 17, 1851. It was built of Madison sandstone at a cost of $19,000. Initially, the first three floors housed from 50 to 65 . . . — Map (db m31583) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 7 — Old Governor's Mansion — 1855-56
Constructed of locally quarried sandstone and designed in the Italianate style, this house was originally built for Julius T. White, secretary of the Wisconsin Insurance Company. Governor Jeremiah Rusk acquired the house in 1883 and sold it to the . . . — Map (db m32459) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Olin-Turville Park
This park is named in honor of John Olin (1851-1924) for the instrumental role he played in the purchase of this 28-acre site in 1910. An additional 65 acres was donated to the city, in 1980 by the Turville Point Association. Between 1854 and 1910 . . . — Map (db m35404) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — On the Air — Bascom Hill Historic District
In 1919, a group of students and professors gathered in the basement of Sterling Hall to transmit some of the earliest educational programming over the airwaves. Their regular broadcasts became the foundation of WHA, one of the oldest radio stations . . . — Map (db m31987) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 39 — Orton Park — 1887
Originally chosen as the site for the Village of Madison Cemetery in 1846, the fathers of the growing city decided to disinter the bodies buried here a decade later upon acquisition of the Forest Hill site. Named for Supreme Court Justice Harlow S. . . . — Map (db m32616) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Orton Park
In 1887 this spot high over Lake Monona became the first Madison park. It is named in honor of Harlow S. Orton (1817-1895), Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice, Madison Mayor, Assemblyman, Circuit Court Judge, and University of Wisconsin Law School . . . — Map (db m32646) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Otis Redding — The King of the Soul Singers — 1941 - 1967
This seating area is dedicated to honor the memory of Otis Redding, Jr., who lost his life in a plane crash in Lake Monona on December 10, 1967 while en route to a Madison engagement. Known as the "King of the Soul Singers," Redding was . . . — Map (db m35249) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Outdoor markets are a Madison tradition — The Madison Heritage Series
Located in one of the richest agricultural counties in the country, Madison has always been a market town. But the farming community was out of luck in 1872 when state officials banned the hitching of horses on the interior side of Capitol Square. . . . — Map (db m33481) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Panther Mound
To the native peoples who lived here, this water spirit represented the god of the underworld and has both spiritual and environmental significance. — Map (db m33514) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 382 — Peck Cabin
Once located here, Peck Cabin -- Madison's first residence, business and post office -- was built by entrepreneurs Ebenezer and Roseline Peck in 1837. Constructing their cabin with adjoining additions near the new territorial capitol site, the Pecks . . . — Map (db m31701) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Pioneering Human Genetics — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
While a University of Wisconsin genetics professor from 1960 to 1988, Oliver Smithies pioneered the targeted genetic modification of mouse embryonic stem cells. This discovery led to the development of "knockout" mice, which became an indispensable . . . — Map (db m32580) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Preventing Endemic Goiter — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
In regions distant from oceans, goiter once was a common disease of humans and animals. Goiter, manifested through an enlarged thyroid gland, is caused by a deficiency of iodine in the diet. University of Wisconsin biochemists Edwin B. Hart and . . . — Map (db m32395) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Rasmus Bjφrn Anderson — Teacher • Author • Diplomat
Born of Norwegian parents in town of Albion, January 12, 1846 Member of the University faculty 1869-1883 United States Minister to Denmark 1885-1889 Died in Madison, Wisconsin, March 2, 1936 First Wisconsin-born professor on the University faculty . . . — Map (db m32739) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Reform and Revolt — Bascom Hill Historic District
University of Wisconsin students traditionally have been active in political and social causes, and that was never more apparent than during the turbulent 1960s. During that time, students frequently led rallies and demonstrations, many of which . . . — Map (db m31761) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 67 — Riley House — Frank M. Riley — 1908
This imposing house was the first of many fine Colonial Revival designs by Madison architect Frank Riley. It has the superb details and gracious proportions that were to become hallmarks of Riley's work. He designed this house for his parents, . . . — Map (db m33470) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Robert E. Gard Memorial Storyteller's Circle
Robert E. Gard (1910-1992) wrote, spoke, taught, and lived the Wisconsin Idea through community arts development. Convinced everyone has a story to tell, he envisioned a Wisconsin in which everyone wrote, painted, danced, acted or sang their story. . . . — Map (db m32937) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 42 — Robert Lamp House — 1903
This unusual midblock residence was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for his boyhood friend, "Robie" Lamp, a realtor and insurance salesman. The simple, boxy shape of the house, with its open floor plan, was very modern for the time. Wright called it . . . — Map (db m32412) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 51 — Sauthoff House — 1857
At the center of the Third Lake Ridge Germanic enclave were the Hannoverian merchant tailor Friedrich Sauthoff and his family. Sauthoff and his neighbor, Michael Zwank, a mason, built this house of molded red brick. Its sturdy vernacular style . . . — Map (db m32701) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 93001616 — Science Hall — University of Wisconsin - Madison
Science Hall University of Wisconsin - Madison has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m33931) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Scientific Approach to Agriculture — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
In 1893 the College of Agriculture's emerging science-based approach to agriculture was emphatically demonstrated to farmers and Wisconsin citizens by the postmortem verification of a tuberculosis test for cattle. Organized by University of . . . — Map (db m32260) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Securing the Future — Bascom Hill Historic District
The Social Security system that became a cornerstone of Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal was written by University of Wisconsin economist Edwin Witte, who served as an advisor to Roosevelt. Witte drew from deep Wisconsin roots. He based the new . . . — Map (db m31953) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Sherman Avenue Crossing
The original Sherman Avenue crossing over the Yahara River was a wooden bridge built by Leonard Farwell circa 1848. It was replaced in 1874. By 1904 the bridge consisted of steel beams, plates and rivets with a wooden plank deck. There are four . . . — Map (db m32172) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 46 — Shipley-Shuttleworth House — 1855
First occupied by railroad contractor D. B. Shipley, this brick house draws stylistically from both the Greek Revival and the Italianate. In the 1880's the dwelling was owned and occupied by the family of Territorial Secretary William B. Slaughter. . . . — Map (db m32969) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 37 — State Historical Society
Dedicated to the conservation, advancement and dissemination of the American heritage, the Society was founded in 1846, chartered in 1853. Legislative support, the first bestowed in any state, began in 1854; the Society became a state agency in . . . — Map (db m31582) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 10 — Tenney Park Lock and Dam
In 1846 Wisconsin's territorial legislature approved incorporation of Madison Village and construction of a dam at Lake Mendota's outlet with a canal for navigation between Lakes Mendota and Monona. The first dam was built of earth in 1847 by . . . — Map (db m33652) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — The American Character — Bascom Hill Historic District
At the end of the nineteenth century, one of the most popular classes at the University of Wisconsin was Frederick Jackson Turner's course on the American frontier. In those lectures, Turner shared beliefs about our nation's history that would help . . . — Map (db m31989) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — The Land Ethic — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
The ideas of University of Wisconsin ecologist Aldo Leopold provided the intellectual and philosophical foundation for the discipline of wildlife ecology. His 1948 book of essays, A Sand County Almanac, gave form and voice to the land ethic that . . . — Map (db m32397) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — The Power of Ideas — Bascom Hill Historic District
As president of the University of Wisconsin from 1903 to 1918, Charles Van Hise championed a mission of public service that became known as the Wisconsin Idea. Calling for professors to share the wealth of their teaching and research, Van Hise . . . — Map (db m32505) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — The School of Pharmacy — University of Wisconsin
The School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, which began on this site in 1883, pioneered in America the Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy as a professional degree (first awarded 1895) and the Doctor of Philosophy in pharmaceutical specialties as a . . . — Map (db m31949) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — The Temperance Movement Battled Madison's Breweries — The Madison Heritage Series
Owning a State Street beer establishment wasn’t easy in the early 1900s. As the temperance movement gathered momentum throughout the country, increasing numbers of Americans wanted alcohol consumption outlawed. Founded in 1863, Hausmann’s Capital . . . — Map (db m33967) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 3 — Third Lake — Lake Monona: Place
During Madison's first two decades, this body of water was named Third Lake. Lake Kegonsa, the first lake surveyed in 1834, was called First Lake. The city later created a new name for Third Lake: Monona, mistakenly thought to be an . . . — Map (db m35433) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 397 — Third Lake Passage
On July 20th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Black Hawk led about 700 Sac, Fox and Kickapoo Indians past this point and through the “Third Lake Passage,” the juncture of the Yahara River and Lake Monona. By sunset, the military also . . . — Map (db m31777) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — This city was planned in 1836 — The Madison Heritage Series
It was future Wisconsin Governor James Doty who first envisioned a city on this site, after passing through the area and glimpsing its potential in 1829. In April 1836, Doty purchased land on this isthmus between two lakes. That November, he . . . — Map (db m32909) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 396 — Tragedy of War
On July 21, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, the U.S. Militia "passed through the narrows of the four lakes," Madison's Isthmus, in pursuit of Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his band. Near this location, the Militia shot and scalped an old Sac . . . — Map (db m31700) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Turtle Effigy
Rare two-tailed type of Indian turtle mound, length: 104 feet; built by the Winnebago probably about 500 years ago — Map (db m33424) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Understanding Immunity — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
In the mid-1940s University of Wisconsin geneticist Ray Owen noticed a surprising fact about non-identical cattle twins. Each twin had two kinds of blood cells, its own and those of its twin. In ordinary transfusions, such mixing of blood cells . . . — Map (db m32807) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Unitarian Meeting House
Unitarian Meeting House has been designated a National Historic LandmarkDesigned by renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright for the First Unitarian Society of Madison, the meeting house is an innovative building that has influenced religious . . . — Map (db m32413) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 9 — Van Slyke House — 1859
This Italianate sandstone house, originally built for local hardware dealer Samuel Fox, exemplifies a regionally distinctive alternating pattern in its masonry. In 1860, transplanted New Yorker, Napoleon Bonaparte Van Slyke, the cashier of the Dane . . . — Map (db m32665) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — What would you have seen here 14,000 years ago? — The Madison Heritage Series
Sometime between 14,000 and 20,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, an enormous northern glacier invaded Wisconsin. Standing here then, you would have been encased in a solid ocean of ice 160 stories tall. The glacier bulldozed this area’s jagged . . . — Map (db m32914) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, incorporated in 1925, was created to make the discoveries of University of Wisconsin scientists available to the public. WARF patents return royalties to the University to support new research. The idea to . . . — Map (db m32805) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — World-famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright called Madison his hometown — The Madison Heritage Series
In 1879, the family of young Frank Lloyd Wright bought a house at 802 East Gorham Street, a house that was later demolished. Wright's years in Madison were formative. As a teenager, he witnessed the tragic collapse of an addition under construction . . . — Map (db m32917) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Marxville — 399 — Indian Lake Passage
On July 21, 1832, during the Black Hawk War, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his band left Pheasant Branch, west of Madison, retreating ahead of the military forces commanded by Colonels Ewing and Dodge. The band fled north following a route past . . . — Map (db m31806) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Marxville — 1 — St. Mary of the Oaks
On the brow of a hill, one-half mile east overlooking Indian Lake, rests a tiny stone chapel. The structure was built in 1857 by John Endres in fulfillment of a religious vow he made in return for protecting the lives of his family during a . . . — Map (db m31809) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), McFarland — 22 — Village of McFarland
Prehistoric woodland Indians built effigy mounds on the many glacial drumlins in this area, including those in Indian Mound Park. Later Winnebagoes lived along the shores of Lake Waubesa and the Yahara River. They ceded the land to the government in . . . — Map (db m33761) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Middleton — Early Social Whirl
To commemorate Middleton's early social activities, the Middleton Landmarks Commission dedicates this site, which, since the early 1830's, has served as a center of social activity for Middleton's residents. Historic interest includes such . . . — Map (db m35084) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Middleton — 8 — Mendota
The Yahara chain of lakes resulted from glacial action about 40,000 years ago. A massive ice sheet, Ό mile thick at Madison, gouged hills and widened valleys as it moved inexorably westward. Changing climate caused the glacier to retreat leaving . . . — Map (db m35052) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Middleton — 398 — Pheasant Branch Encampment
On the night of July 20th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his followers camped near this location. Desperate for food and frightened by the approaching military, the Indians fled northwest towards the Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m31753) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Monona — Springhaven Pagoda
This was built in the late 1800's to protect the natural spring water in Springhaven, the farm of Judge E. W. Keyes. Later the clear water was used by area children to make lemonade for their picnics, held in what is now Stonebridge Park. — Map (db m33224) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Mt. Vernon — 34 — Pioneer Scottish Settlement
"Highland Clearances" and 300% hikes in farm rent prompted many Scottish farmers to sail to America in the mid-1800s. Some displaced Scots settled in Springdale and Verona Townships on both sides of the Military Ridge. This rural community known as . . . — Map (db m32974) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Roxbury — 13 — Father Adalbert Inama -- St. Norbert House
Father Adalbert Inama a Norbertine Missionary was born in Wilton Tyrol Austria on December 26, 1798. He came to the Roxbury - Sac Prairie area in November 1845. Early the next year he built an 18 x 20 foot log cabin one mile west of here on the . . . — Map (db m32352) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Roxbury — In Memory of Rev. Adalbert Inama, O. Praem. — 1798-1879
Born in Wilton, Tyrol Dec. 26, 1798. Came to Roxbury in 1845. Dane County's first resident Catholic priest. Labored in Dane, Iowa, Columbia, Dodge, Jefferson, Sauk, Waukesha counties. Repeatedly read Mass in the Assembly chamber of the Capitol, . . . — Map (db m33082) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Sauk City — 395 — Battle of Wisconsin Heights
On July 21, 1832, during a persistent rainstorm, the 65-year old Sac Indian leader, Black Hawk, led 60 of his Sac and Fox and Kickapoo warriors in a holding action against 700 United States militia at this location. The conflict, known as the . . . — Map (db m32301) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Stoughton — 7 — Stoughton
Stoughton was founded by Luke Stoughton in 1847. The first settlers were Yankees from New England. Waves of Norwegians immigrated to the community during the late 19th century to make Stoughton America's Norwegian capital, home of lutefisk and . . . — Map (db m36256) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Token Creek — 21 — Token Creek
Attracted by abundant water, early Indian inhabitants erected effigy mounds in the area. George Spaulding was the first white settler in 1841. The Town of Windsor's first election was held in 1847 at Charles Lawrence's Prairie House Inn. A post . . . — Map (db m35697) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Verona — 31 — Dane County Home
Boarding houses and jails, deemed unsatisfactory for the County's "unfortunates", prompted establishment of the Dane County Poor Farm on this site in 1854. A two-story brick structure housed all the disadvantaged until 1883 when an asylum for the . . . — Map (db m33506) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Waunakee — 20 — Ella Wheeler Wilcox — (1850-1919)
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone" Wisconsin's most famous poet, who penned these lines, grew up on a Town of Westport farm located on the south side of Easy Street east of County I. She attended a one-room . . . — Map (db m35719) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Albany — 517 — "English Settlement" Cemetery
This cemetery marks the gravesites of Welsh families, who began settling here in 1845. They purchased land from the federal government for $1.25 per acre and began establishing farms, building homes, and forming a tight knit community. "The Yankees . . . — Map (db m35401) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Albany — Union Church
The first formal meeting elected the following to have charge of the building of a church: William Reese, Thomas Lewis, James Lloyd, Aaron Jones, Thomas Edmonds, James Francis and Rev. Austin A sum of $505.00 was raised with a proposal that "a . . . — Map (db m35402) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Monroe — 514 — First Methodist Episcopal Church
Side A The First Methodist Episcopal congregation began building this church in 1869 to replace an earlier church built in 1843. The parsonage was completed in 1886 and the congregation dedicated the completed church in 1887. The church . . . — Map (db m35406) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), Monticello — 435 — Nickolaus Gerber — (1836-1903)
Born in 1836 in Canton Berne, Switzerland, where he learned cheese making, Nickolaus Gerber immigrated to New York and founded that state's first Limburger cheese factory. After hearing reports of successful dairy cattle-raising in Green County, . . . — Map (db m35473) HM
Wisconsin (Green County), New Glarus — 434 — Herbert O. Kubly — 1915-1996
Herbert Kubly, the grandson of Swiss immigrants, was born on the Kubly Family Farm in New Glarus. A noted author and playwright, Kubly's first book, American in Italy, won the National Book Award in 1956. Kubly also authored ten other books . . . — Map (db m32127) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Dodgeville — 403 — Dodge's Grove and Fort Union
Arriving in Dodgeville in 1827, Henry Dodge, later renowned as a Black Hawk War military leader, territorial governor and state senator, began his Wisconsin career as a miner. In circa 1830, Dodge established living quarters and a large two-furnace . . . — Map (db m32450) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 335 — Fort Defiance
Fort Defiance was one of the last garrisoned stockade forts constructed in territorial Wisconsin. Located in the booming lead mining region, an area of early settlement, the fort was built by local settlers in 1832 when developing tensions over . . . — Map (db m32043) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 343 — Historic Mineral Point
In the 1820s, after hearing reports of abundant lead in the area, prospective miners with "lead fever" began pouring into southwestern Wisconsin. Finding ore just beneath the surface, miners set up "diggings" and soon established Mineral Point. It . . . — Map (db m35335) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 472 — Site of Fort Jackson
In June, 1832, an alarm spread throughout the mining region that Black Hawk and his band were on the march north from Illinois. Hastily built stockades were erected throughout the lead region. Fort Jackson was built on this site using vertically . . . — Map (db m32065) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Mineral Point — 137 — Wisconsin Territory
On July 4, 1836, here in Mineral Point, Col. Henry Dodge took the oath of office to become the first Governor of the newly-created Territory of Wisconsin. This Territory, previously attached to Michigan, embraced the vast and important area of what . . . — Map (db m35336) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — 238 — Shot Tower
Twenty years before Wisconsin became a state, the discovery of vast lead deposits brought a population boom to this area. Green Bay merchant Daniel Whitney organized the Wisconsin Shot Company to build a shot tower on this site. T.B. Shaunce . . . — Map (db m35334) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — Site of Old Helena
A thriving and important town of the lead-mining days, here on July 28, 1832 troops crossed the Wisconsin River in pursuit of Indians under Black Hawk Among officers of the Army here present these later became distinguished Gen. Henry . . . — Map (db m35333) HM
Wisconsin (Iowa County), Spring Green — Tower Hill State Park
Dedicated to the memory of Jenkin Lloyd Jones This area of 60 acres has been used since Civil War days by the people of Iowa, Richland and Sauk Counties as a picnic ground and a common meeting place. It is fitting that this land should become . . . — Map (db m35339) HM
Wisconsin (Jackson County), Black River Falls — 228 — Black River Valley
White pine trees were growing here when Columbus made his voyage to America. In 1819 the first attempts to saw lumber were unsuccessful, but in 1839 Jacob Spaulding founded Black River Falls by erecting the first permanent sawmill and settlement on . . . — Map (db m3322) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Cambridge — 19 — Lake Ripley
As a boy Ole Evinrude (1877-1934) lived near Cambridge. His father hoped to keep him on the farm and when Ole built a sailboat like he had seen in a picture book his father destroyed it. In a secret place in the woods the boy built another. Here on . . . — Map (db m35297) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 407 — Black Hawk War Encampment — "Burnt Village"
A large Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Village dating from the 1700s once stood in this vicinity. Just before the 1832 Black Hawk War, the village was burned during an intra-tribal battle. On July 6th and 8th, the United States Military camped at this site in . . . — Map (db m31764) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 152 — Fort Koshkonong
"Whilst lying here we have thrown up a stockade work flanked by four block houses for the security of our supplies and the accomodation of the sick," wrote General Henry Atkinson of this spot in his army report to General Winfield Scott on July 17, . . . — Map (db m31765) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 322 — Lake Koshkonong Effigy Mounds
Between AD 650 and 1200, groups of Native Americans throughout the southern half of Wisconsin and portions of adjacent states built earthen mounds of various shapes and sizes, including mounds shaped like animals, today called effigy mounds. The 11 . . . — Map (db m31766) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Fort Atkinson — 303 — Lorine Niedecker
Fish      fowl           flood      Water lily mud My life in the leaves and on water My mother and I         born in swale and swamp and sworn to water Lorine Niedecker (1903-70) lived on Black Hawk Island most of her life and . . . — Map (db m32181) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — Aztalan Mound Park
Site of the famous prehistoric Indian stockade-protected village known as Aztalan first described by N.F. Hyer in the Milwaukee Advertiser in January 1837. Described by Dr. Increase A. Lapham, in The Antiquities of Wisconsin in 1855. . . . — Map (db m35296) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 515 — Princess Burial Mound
Ancient people built this mound to mark a young woman's grave. The mound was the last in a line that once bordered the western side of the ancient community of Aztalan and the only one that contained a burial. Her community placed the young woman on . . . — Map (db m35479) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Palmyra — 408 — Black Hawk War Encampment
During the Black Hawk War of 1832, General Atkinson camped near this location on two occasions. On July 7th, Atkinson led his entire militia, including future President's Abraham Lincoln and Zachary Taylor here. On July 19th, Atkinson returned . . . — Map (db m31762) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Mauston — 270 — The Sand Counties – Aldo Leopold Territory
“There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot.” For those who cannot, Aldo Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac helps reveal the unsuspected natural riches hidden in these sand counties of Wisconsin. At . . . — Map (db m4227) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Blanchardville — Earliest Settlers — Zarahemla
In 1850 Zenas Gurley and his family settled in this area. His charisma and leadership led several of this area's early settlers to convert to the Mormon faith. While worshiping on a site similar to this one, the scenic view led them to believe they . . . — Map (db m33079) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Blanchardville — 449 — Zarahemla — Predecessor of Blanchardville
In 1843, the Cline and Newkirk families arrived in the area followed by the Wildermuths in 1846. All were related by marriage and drawn here by fertile land and the Pecatonica River. Disillusion with their current religion and family tragedies led . . . — Map (db m32041) HM
Wisconsin (Lafayette County), Blanchardville — 450 — Zenas Gurley
In 1850, Zenas Gurley, settled with his family in this area. His charisma and leadership drew other devout families to this area after he broke with Brigham Young because of his polygamy practices. This settlement was called “Zarahemla” . . . — Map (db m33077) HM
Wisconsin (Marquette County), Montello — Montello Granite
This quarry was once Montello's leading industry, with approximately 200 employees. It was recognized for its paving blocks covering streets in several cities, its crushed granite for various usages, and most of all, for its beautiful hard . . . — Map (db m3556) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Allan H. Selig — "Bud" — President of the Milwaukee Brewers 1970-1998 Ninth President of Major League Baseball
Returned Major League Baseball to his hometown in 1970 by founding the Milwaukee Brewers, the winners of the 1982 American League pennant. Selig, UPI's 1978 Executive of the Year, led the Brewers to seven "Organization of the Year" awards as . . . — Map (db m36226) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Henry Aaron — "Hank" — Milwaukee Braves 1954-65 Milwaukee Brewers 1975-76
Baseball's all-time home run king with 755 career home runs Major League leader in total bases, extra base hits and runs batted in Began his 23-year career with the Milwaukee Braves in 1954 Led the Braves to the World Championship in 1957 . . . — Map (db m36188) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In Honor of the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers of the American League
[Front of Marker:] In 1900, the American League was born in a Milwaukee hotel named the Republican House. The following year, during the 1901 inaugural season, the Milwaukee Brewers were one of eight teams to participate in Major League . . . — Map (db m36223) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Robin Yount — "The Kid" — Milwaukee Brewers 1974-1993
Two-time American League Most Valuable Player Became the 17th player to collect 3,000 career hits Brewers all-time leader in nearly every offensive department Ranks among baseball's elite in at bats, games and doubles One of only three . . . — Map (db m36225) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Beloit — 159 — Black Hawk War
In the spring of 1831, the Sauk Indians led by Chief Keokuk left their ancestral home near the mouth of the Rock River and moved across the Mississippi, to fulfill the terms of a treaty signed in 1804. On April 6, 1832, a dissatisfied faction . . . — Map (db m22758) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Beloit — 291 — The Medal of Honor
The Medal of Honor is the highest decoration for bravery awarded to members of the armed forces of the United States. It is bestowed by the President, in the name of Congress, only for a deed of supreme valor and self-sacrifice distinguished by . . . — Map (db m22800) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Edgerton — 109 — Wisconsin's Tobacco Land
Wisconsin's first commercial tobacco was raised in Dane and Rock counties by cousins Orrin and Ralph Pomeroy in 1854. Grown as a cash crop to supplement dairy income, Wisconsin tobacco is used as a binder in making cigars. Because of the large . . . — Map (db m36216) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Milton — 107 — Milton House
Erected in 1844 by Joseph Goodrich, this frontier inn is constructed of grout -- a mixture of gravel, lime, and water. An important stagecoach stop and transfer point, it was also a pre-Civil War station in the underground railroad, and is still . . . — Map (db m22728) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Milton — 229 — Storrs Lake Milton
On July 1, 1832, here beside Storrs Lake, Brigadier General Henry Atkinson and 4,500 soldiers camped overnight in their pursuit of Black Hawk, Sac Indian chief, who was fleeing northward up the east side of Rock River with 400 warriors and 1200 . . . — Map (db m22727) HM
Wisconsin (Sauk County), Prairie du Sac — 89 — The Baraboo Range
The rugged range of hills which can be seen to the north of here is among the oldest visible physical features on the earth. The hard quartzite rock that forms them was deposited as sand in a shallow sea which once covered this region. Although . . . — Map (db m19488) HM
Wisconsin (Sauk County), Rock Springs — Van Hise Rock
The material of this rock was once sand on the sea bottom, and has since hardened into quartzite. It was tilted to the present position by a slow earth movement, and then separated from the adjacent cliff by erosion. The vertical light and dark . . . — Map (db m19848) HM
Wisconsin (Sauk County), Spring Green — 410 — Western Escape
On July 22, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and about 700 followers escaped down the Wisconsin River after the Battle of Wisconsin Heights. Traveling the river in hastily built canoes and rafts or on foot along the . . . — Map (db m35337) HM
Wisconsin (Vilas County), Sayner — 212 — Snowmobile
Wisconsinites experimented with over-snow vehicles before 1900, trying bicycles on runners with gripping fins, steam-propelled sleighs and later Model T Fords converted with rear tractor treads and skis in front. In the first races held near Three . . . — Map (db m35948) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 391 — Delafield Fish Hatchery
Constructed in 1907, the impressive Delafield Fish Hatchery stands as a reminder of Wisconsin's dependence upon its plentiful fishing waters. In the early 20th century, Wisconsin's growing concern over lake and stream fish depletion led to a state . . . — Map (db m31796) HM
Wisconsin (Wood County), Nekoosa — 130 — Point Basse
Five rapids covering a distance of about three miles in this area were referred to as Nekoosa (swift water) by the Chippewa Indians, who made their campground on high Swallow Rock overlooking these rapids. At the lower end of the rapids, Wakeley’s . . . — Map (db m1109) HM
Wisconsin (Wood County), Wisconsin Rapids — 114 — Centralia Pulp and Paper Mill
Here the vast Wisconsin River paper industry began in 1887 when the Centralia Pulp and Water Power Company converted a saw mill into a pulp and paper mill. The pulp mill spanned the river to the island at the site of the present hydro-electric . . . — Map (db m1043) HM
Wyoming (Crook County), Aladdin — Aladdin Tipple History
The Aladdin Tipple in Crook County, Wyoming, was constructed as part of the Aladdin coal mining operations. In 1898, an 18-mile-long short line known as the Wyoming and Missouri River Railroad was built to connect coal mines near Aladdin with the . . . — Map (db m34833) HM
Wyoming (Crook County), Aladdin — Custer's 1874 Expedition
During the summer of 1874, General George Armstrong Custer led the first official government expedition to the Black Hills, which the Sioux Indians claimed as their territory. Although the United States Government officially sent this expedition of . . . — Map (db m34586) HM
Wyoming (Crook County), Hulett — Devils Tower
Devils Tower, known as Bear's Lodge to Northern Plains Tribes, rises high above the Belle Fourche River, grasslands, and ponderosa pine forests. This major landmark of the Northern Great Plains has attracted people for thousands of years. Today, it . . . — Map (db m34463) HM

535 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 335
Paid Advertisement