Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

615 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 415
 
Railway Museum image, Touch for more information
By F. Robby, November 6, 2007
Railway Museum
Delaware (New Castle County), Wilmington — NC-85 — Ebright Azimuth
The highest benchmark monument in Delaware is located on Ebright Road. This horizontal control mark denotes an elevation of 447.85 feet above sea level. The Delaware Geological Society through its relationship with the National Geodetic Survey has . . . — Map (db m2893) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Delmar — SC-103 — Town of Delmar
The town of Delmar was established soon after the Delaware Railroad reached this area in 1859. Although fire devastated Demare in 1892 and 1901, the town continued to build and grow. Incorporated on March 9, 1899, Delmar became known as the . . . — Map (db m3865) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), South Fenwick Island — S.C.-74 — Transpeninsular Line
This stone monument, erected April 26, 1751, marks the eastern end of the Transpeninsular Line surveyed 1751-1751 by John Watson and William Parsons of Pennsylvania and John Emory and Thomas Jones of Maryland. This line established the east-west . . . — Map (db m1234) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — “The Warrior’s Path”
War path of the five nations from central New York to the Carolinas. One of the longest Indian trails in America, crossed this highway about this point. — Map (db m3489) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Albert Cabell Ritchie
Albert Cabell Ritchie. 1876 – 1936. Four times Governor of Maryland. He who is worthy of honor does not die. — Map (db m2900) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Hockley-in-the-HolePatented August 25, 1664
To Edward, Joshua, and John Dorsey, sons of Edward Dorsey who settled in Maryland in 1650. The patent was signed by Charles Calvert, then Lieutenant General, and later Third Lord Baltimore. This plantation has been the homestead of the Dorseys for . . . — Map (db m2906) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Lafayette’s EncampmentMarch – April 1781
During the Revolutionary War, 1200 Continental Light Infantrymen under the command of Marquis de Lafayette encamped on the rise behind this sign en route to the decisive battle in Yorktown, Va. They arrived in Annapolis from Head of Elk by a . . . — Map (db m2907) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Lot 70 Is Historically Significant
During winter 1988/89, the area known as Lot 70 in James Stoddert’s 1718 survey will be the site of a historical archeological excavation. In 1718, this lot was owned by Charles Carroll, grandfather of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, who in 1734 . . . — Map (db m2860) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Maryland State House
Built 1772–1779 Capitol of the United States November 26, 1783 – August 13, 1784 In this state house, oldest in the nation still in legislative use, General George Washington resigned his commission before the . . . — Map (db m2864) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Site of the Methodist Church1789–1817
Francis Asbury, Father of American Methodism, founded a Methodist Society in Annapolis in 1777. They built a meeting house in 1785 within the present grounds of the Naval Academy. In 1789, the “Old Blue Church” moved to this site and . . . — Map (db m2909) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Trunk of the Three Mile Oak
Upper Plaque: This oak tree planted in 1967 perpetuates the memory of the original Three Mile Oak which stood nearby as explained in the marker below. Lower Plaque: Trunk of the Three Mile Oak Under this tree passed General George . . . — Map (db m2877) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Arnold — Historic Annapolis
Historic Annapolis. 5 miles. United States Naval Academy. — Map (db m2908) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crofton — Birthplace of Johns Hopkins
Founder of the Johns Hopkins University and the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Born May 19, 1795. Died December 24, 1873. — Map (db m2927) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Belvoir(Scott’s Plantation)
French troops under Count de Rochambeau made their 36th camp here September 16-17, 1781, enroute to Yorktown, Virginia. Most of the troops embarked from Annapolis, but the artillary marched to Georgetown to cross the Potomac River. — Map (db m2928) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Count de Rochambeau’s
Count de Rochambeau’s troops marched over this road from Spurrier’s Tavern to “Scott’s Plantation” (Belvoir) on Sept. 16, 1781 on the way to Yorktown. Washington and Rochambeau had gone ahead Sept. 10–11 on the way to Mt. Vernon. — Map (db m2890) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Henry Baldwin
Near this spot lies buried Henry Baldwin officer and engineer in the Revolutionary War 1777–1783. Charter member of the Society of the Cincinnati. Born Dec. 23, 1753 – Died Oct 15, 1793, at Rising Sun, Anne Arundel Co., Maryland. — Map (db m2879) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crownsville — Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church
A rural suburban congregation linking our past and future. Established 1858 as Mt. Tabor Methodist Episcopal Church. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m3412) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Davidsonville — Watkins Slave Cemetery
At this site, anonymously buried slaves were found during road construction in 1960. These unclaimed individuals were associated with the Locust Grove plantation founded by 1848. The remains were reburied at Mt. Tabor Church in nearby Chesterfield. . . . — Map (db m2931) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — London Town Ferry
From London Town, and original port of entry, a ferry crossed South River. It linked a north-south system of roads from about 1695 until the 19th century. — Map (db m3419) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — London Town Publik House
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States. — Map (db m3420) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Edgewater — Tobacco Barn
Tobacco barn built c.1720 at Hockley-in-the-Hole Plantation. — Map (db m3421) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — National Vigilance Park
On September 2, 1958 Soviet MIG Fighters shot down United States Air Force C-130 #60528 over Armenia. This memorial is dedicated in memory of the seventeen airmen who perished that day, and their Armed Forces compatriots who were killed, . . . — Map (db m2923) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Friendship — Holly Hill
Surveyed, 1663, as Holland’s Hills for Francis Holland; bought 1665, by Richard Harrison, Quaker planter and shipowner, who owned about 6,000 acres. The house, built in three stages between 1665 and 1733 by Richard Harrison and his son Samuel, is . . . — Map (db m2938) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Curtis Creek Furnace
The Curtis Creek Furnace, located on the south side of Furnace Creek, one-half mile east of Ritchie Highway, was established in 1759 and with a foundry built in 1829, continued to turn out high grade charcoal pig iron until abandoned in 1851. — Map (db m2867) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Ferndale, Maryland
Named in 1921, formerly Wellham. Railroads have long been part of Ferndale’s history. The WB&A Railroad steamed through the neighborhood from 1888 to 1950, carrying as many as 1,750,000 passengers a year. With the historic spike pulling ceremony on . . . — Map (db m3235) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Chapel
Erected, 1731, near this site, Marley Chapel served as a chapel of ease for the northern parish area of St. Margaret’s Episcopal Church. After its abandonment bricks from the chapel were used in constructing St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, Glen . . . — Map (db m2868) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — World War 1917
This monument and fountain erected by Glen Burnie Post No. 40, Inc., The American Legion, in memory of our departed comrades, World War 1917. — Map (db m3890) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — World War II
Dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice and in honor of those who served in the Armed Forces of our country in World War II. — Map (db m3889) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Hanover — Wesley Grove United Methodist Church
Consecrated Sunday, November 4, 1951, by the joint congregations of Friendship and Ridge Methodist Churches. Timber Ridge and Friendship Methodist Churches. Timber Ridge Church was built c.1840 two miles to the east. It was disbanded in . . . — Map (db m3036) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — “Larkins Hills”Patented 1663
Charles Lord Baltimore and his council attended the meeting of the Assembly here Oct. 2 – Nov. 6, 1663. 31 towns and ports of entry were established at this session in the several counties along the bay. Practically none of these towns exist . . . — Map (db m2945) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — Rawlings’ Tavern
Jonathan Rawlings given a license to keep an “ordinary” (tavern) in 1771. George Washington dined here September 26, 1773, on his way to the Annapolis races. — Map (db m3141) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — William Penn
Came here to the home of Col. Thomas Tailler on “the ridge” December 13, 1682 for his first conference with Charles Lord Baltimore as to the location of the boundary line between Maryland and Pennsylvania. — Map (db m3042) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Linthicum — Benson-Hammond House
Built circa 1820, the Benson-Hammond House is the headquarters of the Ann Arundell County Historical Society and is open to the public. Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line Organized in 1880, the Annapolis and Baltimore Short Line ran its . . . — Map (db m3161) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Portland Manor
Surveyed Dec. 6, 1667. Portland Landing and Saint Jerome’s surveyed 1700. Owned by Col. Henry Darnall, brother-in-law of Charles, 3rd Lord Baltimore and Secretary of State. — Map (db m3142) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Saint James’ ChurchOld Herring Creek Parish
The first church on this site was built, 1695, and the present structure was completed 1765. The Reverend Henry Hall (1675–1722) served as the first rector, 1698-1722. From 1786–1792 Saint James’ was the home parish of Thomas John . . . — Map (db m3143) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Anne Arundel Academy1854-1924
Site of private high school for boys and girls. Its aim: “To create a love for labor, honesty and a high moral life.” Phil Moore Leakin, founder and first principle, taught in rented log house, later in one-story school erected at cost . . . — Map (db m2881) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church
Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church, 1777–1977. This congregation met as a Methodist Society in 1777 at the John Sewell home, Brooksby’s Point, where circuit rider Bishop Francis Asbury often preached. Present site deeded in 1817. This . . . — Map (db m2882) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Old Stage-Coach Road
This stone marks the Old Stage-Coach Road over which General George Washington traveled when on his way to Annapolis to resign his commission as Commander-in-Chief of the American Forces 23 December 1783. — Map (db m2880) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Shipley’s Choice
Adam Shipley, who came to Anne Arundel County in 1668, on March 30, 1681, patented 200 acres on the south side of the Severn River. Dedicated during the Tercentenary Commemoration of the Shipleys of Maryland. May 25, 1968. — Map (db m2885) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Shipley’s Choice
Adam Shipley, came to Anne Arundel County in 1668. On March 30, 1681, 200 acres were surveyed and patented in his name. This tract was the earliest patented in the Shipley name. Marker was dedicated during the development of the subdivision named . . . — Map (db m2887) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — The Severn Crossroads Church
Built as a Methodist Church in 1861 and used as the Church Sanctuary & Sunday School for fifty years. Moved in 1896 from SE to NE corner of General’s Highway and Indian Landing roads, and dedicated in 1935 to Charles W. Baldwin, its pastor for 71 . . . — Map (db m2884) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Widow Ramsey’s Tavern
Near here was junction of old Baltimore-Annapolis Road (“Generals Highway”) and a road laid out by Charles Carroll from Doughoregan Manor. On the south side of Severn Run stood Widow Ramsey’s where George Washington breakfasted June 7, . . . — Map (db m2888) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Odenton — Epiphany Episcopal Chapel and Church House
Only known World War I chapel in the United States. Consecrated in 1918 to minister to the soldiers at Camp Meade and serve as permanent mission in the village of Odenton. Designed in the Arts and Crafts style by Riggin Buckler. Used by all . . . — Map (db m3162) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — In Memoriam
May 30 1960. Erected by Pasadena Post No. 277, American Legion. Dedicated to Anne Arundel County as a memorial to all who fought so valiantly in the World Wars and Korea....with eternal gratitude to those who made the supreme sacrifice to preserve . . . — Map (db m2897) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Magothy Methodist Church
One of the first Methodist societies in Anne Arundel County. Log church originally erected on tract acquired in 1764, now the cemetery. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here August 27, 1777. Church built on present site in 1859 was destroyed by fire . . . — Map (db m2863) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Severna Park — Earleigh Heights Store
Earleigh Heights Store. Historic Home of Charles J. and Mary Novak Katlic and their children Marie, Charles, Eveylyn, James, Helen, Margie and Elizabeth. — Map (db m2898) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Severna Park — Governor William Stone
Born in England about 1603, he emigrated to Virginia about 1628, and he came to Maryland about 1648. He brought with him nine settlers, and many others followed. He obtained about 5,000 acres located in St. Mary’s, Charles and Calvert counties. . . . — Map (db m2889) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), South River — All Hallows Church
All Hallows Parish, South River, one of the orginal thirty parishes created by law in 1692 when the Anglican Church was established in Maryland. The present Georgian church was built c. 1730. Several prominent London Town merchants are buried in the . . . — Map (db m2941) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), South River — The Old South River Club
Organized 1700. House built 1742. The oldest social club in America. — Map (db m2946) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — Old Quaker Burying Ground1672
Here April, 1672, George Fox, founder of Quakerism, opened the first General Meeting of Friends in Maryland, marking the beginning of West River Yearly Meeting and its successor, Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends. Site of West River Quaker Meeting . . . — Map (db m3038) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — William Penn
Visited his Quaker friend William Richardson near this spot after the conference at Col. Thomas Tailler’s December 13, 1682. Lord Baltimore and the members of his Council accompanied him to this place. — Map (db m3039) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), West River — William Penn
Attended a meeting of the Friends (Quakers) at Thomas Hooker’s December 1682 on this tract called “Brownton” (patented in 1652 for 660 acres). Penn sailed from here across the Bay to the Choptank River to a General Meeting of the Friends. — Map (db m3041) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Federal Hill
Since the founding of Baltimore, 1729, this hill has been a popular point for viewing the city’s growth. Here 4,000 people feasted 1780, to celebrate the ratification by Maryland of the Federal Constitution and in honor of the new government gave . . . — Map (db m2555) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Major General Samuel Smith
1752–1839. Under his command the attack of the British upon Baltimore by land and sea Sept. 12-14, 1814 was repulsed. Member of Congress forty successive years, president U.S. Senate, Secretary of the Navy, Mayor of Baltimore. Hero . . . — Map (db m2557) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Battle AcreSeptember 12, 1814
Here General Stricker’s City Brigade inflicted severe losses upon the main body of the British Army. This spirited defense together with that of Fort McHenry the next night saved Baltimore. — Map (db m2118) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Francis Scott Key Memorial Bridge
To the northwest, across the Patapsco, is Fort McHenry, which British Naval Forces bombarded September 13-14, 1814. Detained on a cartel boat, Francis Scott Key waw through a spyglass that the star-spangled banner yet waved in the dawn’s early light . . . — Map (db m2128) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Relay — Site of Old Relay Station and Hotel
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Here in 1830, passengers on B&O horse-drawn cars stopped to eat at the Relay House. Meanwhile, the relays of horses were changed for the remainder of the 13 mile journey between Baltimore and Ellicott’s Mills, hence . . . — Map (db m2502) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Chesapeake Beach — Chesapeake Beach Railway1897-1935
Built by Otto Mears of Colorado in 1897. The train track linking Washington, D.C. to Chesapeake Beach crossed here. The original depot to the east is now the Railway Museum. Excursion steamboats also brought passengers to Chesapeake Beach from . . . — Map (db m731) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Dowell — Amphibious Training Base
This nation's first naval amphibious training base was established here at Solomons where between 1942 and 1945 some 68,000 sailers, marines, coast guardsmen, and soldiers were trained. They formed the major components of the amphibious forces which . . . — Map (db m3435) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Dunkirk — Smithville United Methodist Church
The brick church, dedicated in 1840, is the oldest standing Methodist church in Calvert County. The Calvert Circuit began in 1781 with services in homes. By 1789 this circuit had the largest membership in the United States. Fielder B. Smith gave . . . — Map (db m3417) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Cove Point Lighthouse3.4 miles
Built in 1828, the oldest operating lighthouse in Maryland. The prism lens used today was manufactured in Paris and installed in 1897. The original 38-foot tower was built of locally manufactured brick and was raised about 1912 to 51 feet. In 1953 . . . — Map (db m3440) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Middleham Chapel
Founded, 1684, as a chapel of ease in Christ Church parish and named for Middleham, Yorkshire, England. The site has been used for worship since the founding, but the chapel was rebuilt in 1748. The bell, given by John Holdsworth, is dated 1699. — Map (db m3436) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Morgan Hill Farm
The tract, originally known as Morgan’s Fresh, was granted, 1651, to Philip Morgan, a captain in the Puritan militia. The house, which overlooks St. Leonard Creek, was built before 1670 and served as a lookout station in the War of 1812 and the . . . — Map (db m3437) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — Preston on Patuxent
← Home of Richard Preston, Commander of the North Bank of the Patuxent River 1649. Seat of the Puritan Government of Maryland where the colonial records were kept 1653–1657. — Map (db m3462) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Lusby — The Cliffs of Calvert
First described in 1608 by Captain John Smith and marked on his map. One of the most unusual natural curiosities in the state. — Map (db m3439) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Owings — Calvert County
Established as Patuxent County in 1654, it was given Lord Baltimore’s family name in 1658. Now the state's smallest county, it once encompassed most of Prince George’s County and parts of Anne Arundel and St. Mary’s counties. A narrow peninsula with . . . — Map (db m3415) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Owings — Lower Marlboro Town
Originally Cox Town, named for early settlers Thomas and Henry Cox (1663). Changed to Marlborough to honor Duke for defeating French at Battle of Blenheim (1704), which reduced French and Indian attacks on the colonies. An early port of entry . . . — Map (db m3418) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — Christ Church(Episcopal) — 1672
One of the original parishes of the Province of Maryland and Calvert County’s oldest continuously worshipping congregation, Christ Church began with a log church standing as early as 1672. Christ Church parish, 1692, included all the land south of . . . — Map (db m3441) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — One-Room School
Port Republic School No. 7, built about 1870 and closed in 1932. One teacher usually taught seven grades. Children walked to school from as far as three miles away. In the 59 similar schools throughout Calvert County, enrollment averaged about 30. . . . — Map (db m3442) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — Veitch’s Cove
James Veitch, born 1628 in Roxburghshire, Scottland. Settled at Veitch’s Cove, later known as Veitch’s Rest, an orginal land patent granted by Lord Baltimore in 1649. Sheriff of Calvert County 1653–1657. Died 1685. — Map (db m3443) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Arthur Storer Planetarium
Arthur Storer (c. 1642–1686), the first astronomer in the American Colonies, came to Calvert County from Lincolnshire, England. He was among the first observers to sight and record data describing Haley's comet on its return in 1682. His . . . — Map (db m3450) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Battle Creek Cypress Swamp
A Bald Cypress Reserve and amphibian sanctuary. One of the last remaining stands of Bald Cypress in Maryland, and the most northerly growth in the Country. Registered as a National Landmark, 1965. — Map (db m3451) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Joseph & James WilkinsonTwo revolutionary leaders who grew up on farm south of Hunting Creek
Joseph Wilkinson was colonel in the Revolution and a legislator. His younger brother James, an adventurer, first attained general’s rank in 1777 at the age of 20. James built a grist-mill nearby, became General-in-Chief of the army, was Military . . . — Map (db m3453) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Prince Frederick Library “Firsts”
The west wing of this library was built in 1903 on Main Street as the County’s first bank. In 1913, it was replaced, moved and became the County’s first library; 1916 County’s first Boy Scoot Troop met there; 1921 it was County’s first high school; . . . — Map (db m3454) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — St. John’s Holiness Church
On this site stood St. John’s Holiness Church. Dedicated 1900. Removed 1936. Rededicated to Prince Frederick Methodist Cemetery Corporation 1986. — Map (db m3455) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Saint Leonard — BrewhouseSurveyed 1651
5½ Miles. ← Mackall’s Landing. Birthplace of Thomas Johnson (1732–1819), member of Continental Congress 1774. Nominated Washington as Commander-in-Chief Continental Army 1775. First elected Governor of Maryland 1777. Associate . . . — Map (db m3467) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Saint Leonard — Early Settlements
Town of St. Leonard was originally, in 1663, at mouth of St. Leonard Creek. By 1706, when chartered by Maryland General Assembly as a port of entry, it had been moved to head of creek near here. British forces burned its wharves and warehouses July . . . — Map (db m3464) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Saint Leonard — St. Leonard CreekScene of naval battles during War of 1812
In June, 1814, Maryland's Commodore Joshua Barney commanded American flotilla of barges, gunboats and a sloop in attacks on superior British forces in Patuxent River and its tributary, St. Leonard Creek. After flotilla moved up Patuxent and was . . . — Map (db m3463) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Saint Leonard — St. Leonard Polling House and Garden of Remembrance
This polling house was built in 1926 and residents voted here until 1974. The Garden of Remembrance honors all those held dear in the hearts of area residents. It also honors First Ladies Mrs. John Quincy Adams and Mrs. Zachary Taylor, who were . . . — Map (db m3469) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Calvert County
Established as Patuxent County in 1654, it was given Lord Baltimore’s family name in 1658. Now the state's smallest county, it once encompassed most of Prince George’s County and parts of Anne Arundel and St. Mary’s counties. A narrow peninsula with . . . — Map (db m3416) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
Founded by R.V. Truitt, 1925. Sponsored by Maryland Conservation Department since 1931, in cooperation with Carnegie Institution, Johns Hopkins and Maryland universities, Goucher, St. John's, Washington, and Western Maryland colleges "to afford a . . . — Map (db m3456) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Drum Point Lighthouse1883-1962
This lighthouse, installed in 1883, originally stood 125 yards offshore at the entrance of the Patuxent River to the Chesapeake Bay. The foundation on which the cottage living quarters rest consist of seven wrought iron screw piles, hand bored into . . . — Map (db m3457) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — J. C. Lore & Sons Oyster House
Joseph C. Lore, Sr., began shipping seafood from Solomons Island in 1888 and established a packing house at this site in 1912. Three generations of Lore family packed and shipped Patuxent River oysters, crabs and fish until 1978. Present building . . . — Map (db m3459) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — M. M. Davis Shipyard1885–1974
1885 Marcellus M. Davis established his shipyard at this location, in 1913 the yard was moved to larger quarters across the harbor on Mill Creek. During the 1930’s, Davis’ yard produced many outstanding wooden yachts which brought international fame . . . — Map (db m3460) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — All Saints Episcopal Church
All Saints, one of the original parishes of Maryland, included all the land north of Hunting Creek in Calvert County. The present church was started in 1774 by exchange of tobacco under the rectorship of Reverend Thomas John Clagett, later the first . . . — Map (db m3470) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — The First All Saints Church
Authorized in 1692 by the Maryland Assembly the first All Saints (log) Church was built near this site "at the cross-roads of the Severn Ridge Path and the road leading to Coxtown" on land donated by early French Huguenot settler Thomas Hilleary . . . — Map (db m3471) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Manchester — German Church1760
Near here was located a place of worship described as the "Evangelical Lutheran and, according to God's word, reformed, and on both sides, protestant congregations called the German Churche." Continuous worship for 200 years on this site marks it as . . . — Map (db m3490) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Methodist Historical Marker
Poulson Chapel, c.1763. Stone Chapel, 1783. Rebuilt 1800 and 1883. — Map (db m3491) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Robert Strawbridge
← The first preacher of Methodism in America. He formed at his house (still standing, 1938) one-half mile east of here the first Class and the first Society of American Methodism. He built the first log meeting house (1764) for Methodists in . . . — Map (db m3561) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — Strawbridge Log Meeting House Site
Built in 1764 by Robert Strawbridge, the first Methodist place of worship erected in America. Successors are Stone Chapel (1783) 3 miles northeast, and Bethel (1821) 1 mile south. ← — Map (db m3020) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — Adam Good Tavern
Site of Adam Good Tavern visited by George Washington July 1st & 2nd 1791. — Map (db m3563) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Union Bridge — The First Reaping Machine

The first reaping machine in the world was invented by Jacob R. Thomas and tried near this spot in 1811. Obed Hussey perfected and patented the invention in 1839 one year prior to the McCormick reaper. — Map (db m3564) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), North East — Gilpin’s Falls Covered Bridge
Built circa 1860, the bridge is one of the few covered ones left in Maryland and the only one on public ground in Cecil County. The area to the East has been the site of several mills, the earliest Samuel Gilpin’s flour mill circa 1735. • Bridge . . . — Map (db m1692) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Newburg — Cliffton
The home of Major Roderick G. Watson is two miles north of this marker. At the start of the Civil War many persons crossed the Potomac River to Virginia in this area. From 1862 to the end of the war, Thomas A. Jones served as a Confederate agent . . . — Map (db m3827) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Bucktown — Finding Freedom
The Call of Freedom In the mid-19th century, 8,000 African Americans lived in Dorchester County. Roughly half were slaves; most of the rest worked as free laborers. Enslaved blacks, free blacks, and abolitionist whites worked together to . . . — Map (db m3959) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Bucktown — Harriet Tubman1820-1913
The "Moses of her People", Harriett Tubman of the Bucktown District found freedom for herself and some three hundred other slaves whom she led north. In the Civil War she served the Union army as a nurse, scout and spy. — Map (db m3956) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — “Appleby”
The home of Governor Thomas Holliday Hicks. Born 1798. Died 1866. Governor of Maryland 1858-62. U.S. Senator 1862-65. — Map (db m3961) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — “Stanley Institute”
Oldest community-owned one-room schoolhouse still intact in Dorchester County. First constructed c. 1865 near Church Creek. Moved here in 1867, it was used continuously until July 15, 1966, as Rock Elementary School for students in grades 1 through . . . — Map (db m3968) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Cambridge
Originally part of the Choptank Indian Reservation laid out for them in 1669. Cambridge was made a port of entry by the Assembly in 1684. It is one of the few towns authorized at that early date that has survived. — Map (db m3963) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Finding Freedom
The Call of Freedom Dorchester County occupies a central place in the story of the Underground Railroad, the secret network of "stations" and "conductors" that sheltered and shepherded hundreds of enslave African Americans to freedom in the . . . — Map (db m3964) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1954. To the memory of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a great American. President Roosevelt visited Cambridge on October 26, 1935, to participate in the dedication of the Emerson C. Harrington Bridge. This stack was removed from the U.S.S. Potomac, . . . — Map (db m3965) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — GlasgowBuilt 1760
Birthplace of William Vans Murray. Appointed minister to the Hague by President George Washington March 2, 1787. He served until 1801. He was minister plenipotentiary to Paris as one of the negotiators of the treaty with France, signed in 1800, . . . — Map (db m3966) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Meredith Housec. 1760
Once a focal point of a large farm as LaGrange, Meredith House is is one of the few remaining Georgian houses in Cambridge. Purchased by the Dorchester County Historical Society in 1959, the house is furnished with antiques reflecting the heritage . . . — Map (db m3967) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — This Bell
This bell originally hung in a monastery in Mexico. Brought to America during the Mexican War, 1846. Served as fire alarm in Cambridge until 1883. — Map (db m3970) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — Thomas Holliday Hicks1798-1865
In this cemetery is the grave of Thomas Holliday Hicks, Governor of Maryland 1858-1862 and United States Senator from Maryland 1862-1865. At the beginning of the Civil War during his tenure as governor, the position of Maryland was more important . . . — Map (db m3971) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — World War II
In grateful memory of our veterans of World War II. Peace to the mighty dead, 1941-1945. — Map (db m3973) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — St. Mary, Star of the Sea Chapel & Cemetery“Tubman Chapel”
Built before 1767 by Richard Tubman II, to serve the Roman Catholics who had worshipped in this area since the second half of the the 17th century. Early unmarked burial vault on site. Chapel enlarged in 1819 and in 1888. Surpressed and sold in . . . — Map (db m3998) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Church Creek — Treaty Oak
Under this tree the early settlers and Indians of the Choptank tribe conferred in the purchase of this section. An Indian princess is supposed to have negotiated this sale for which the red men received four guns , a few gunning coats and some . . . — Map (db m3976) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), East New Market — East New MarketSettled 1660 on North-South Choptank Indian Trail.
Originally “Crossroads,” later “New Market.” Post for trading with Indians erected 1767. In Revolution, “New Market Blues,” volunteer militiamen, were organized in this supply center for Continental army. South on . . . — Map (db m3979) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), East New Market — Friendship Hall(Circa 1740)
Fine 2½ story brick house with pilasters on front and two oval windows in pediment of west gable. Home of Sulivane family, 17th century settlers here, three generations of whom served in Maryland General Assembly: James Sulivane, Commissary . . . — Map (db m3981) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Honga — Hoopers Island
Long a community of watermen, this chain of islands bears name of family who settled in Dorchester County from southern Maryland in latter part of 17th century. Active in colonial affairs in 18th century was Col. Henry Hooper, whose seat was . . . — Map (db m3997) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Lloyds — Gary’s Creek - Indian PathDorchester County
Gary’s Creek was named for Stephen Gary (d. 1686), high sheriff and one of the judges of Dorchester County for whom “Spocott” was surveyed on this creek December 27, 1662. This road about 1663 was the Indian Path from the Indian towns on . . . — Map (db m3999) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Lloyds — Spocott Windmill
This windmill is typical of the grist post mills used in the 18th and 19th centuries for grinding grain. Such a windmill, built here about 1850 by John A.L. Radcliffe, was blown down in the Blizzard of 1888. In 1972 it was reconstructed, using the . . . — Map (db m4000) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Secretary — My Lady Sewall’s Manor
Central part of the house built shortly after grant of 2,000 acres in 1661 to Henry Sewall of London, Secretary of the province. He died in 1665. his widow, Jane, came to Maryland on the same ship as Governor Charles Calvert (afterwards 3d Lord . . . — Map (db m4001) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Taylors Island — Battle of the Ice Mound
Last battle of the War of 1812 in the Chesapeake Bay. A tender to the British ship of war "Dauntless" was captured by Joseph Stewart and local militia near james Island on February 7, 1815. Ice along the shore allowed the militia to approach within . . . — Map (db m4002) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Taylors Island — Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal ChurchBuilt 1787 - Rebuilt 1857
The original chapel was built on this site which was donated by Moses and Elizabeth LeCompte. The deed, dated September 15, 1787, is the oldest one on record for Methodist Episcopal Church land in Dorchester County. Both Bishop Francis Asbury and . . . — Map (db m4042) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Taylors Island — The Becky Phipps
This cannon was captured in 1814 from a tender of the British ship of war "Dauntless". Lieut. Phipps and crew of 17 men and one colored woman were taken prisoners at James' Point by Capt. Joseph Stewart's company of militia composed of men from . . . — Map (db m4003) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Columbia — Adam the First
The first large land grant in what is now Howard County. Patented October 1, 1687 to Adam Shipley who came to Maryland from England in 1668. This marks a section of the western boundary of the 500 acre grant. A Shipley family cemetery is located . . . — Map (db m3182) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Columbia — Christ Episcopal Church“Old Brick” — 1711
Original log chapel of ease, Queen Anne’s Parish, erected on “New Years Gift,” a present from the Proprietary to Edward Dorsey and Charles Carroll. Improved and made Queen Caroline Parish Church, 1728. First rector, James McGill, served . . . — Map (db m3183) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Cooksville — Dr. Charles Alexander Warfield(1751-1813)
The grave of this Revolutionary War patriot is near this site. A member of the Sons of Liberty, he participated in the burning of the brig “Peggy Stewart,” at Annapolis, October 19, 1774, and also served as a major in the Elkridge . . . — Map (db m3184) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Elkridge — Elk Ridge Landing
An important colonial port for shipment of Tobacco. Here in 1765 Zachariah Hood, Maryland’s “Stamp Act” agent, was hanged in effigy. Lafayette’s troops camped here April 17-18, 1781 on the way to engage Cornwallis in Virginia. George . . . — Map (db m3144) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Elkridge — Elk Ridge Landing
An important colonial port for shipment of Tobacco. Here in 1765 Zachariah Hood, Maryland’s “Stamp Act” agent, was hanged in effigy. Lafayette’s troops camped here April 17-18, 1781 on the way to engage Cornwallis in Virginia. George . . . — Map (db m3145) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Ellicott’s Upper Mills1775
Joseph Ellicott (who with his brothers Andrew and John had established Ellicott’s Lower Mills, now Ellicott City, on the Patapsco River in 1772) built the Upper Mills and his home on “Fountaindale” near this spot in 1775. Remaining . . . — Map (db m3185) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Friends Meeting House and Graveyard
After founding the town of Ellicotts Mills in 1772, the Ellicott brothers established this burying ground in 1795 and built the adjacent Friends Meeting House in 1800. — Map (db m3186) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — St. John’s Episcopal Church
A chapel of ease of Queen Caroline parish, established 1728. Incorporated by Maryland General Assembly, 1822. Consecrated 1823 by Bishop James Kemp. Original land, “Dorsey’s Heaven,” deeded to church by Caleb and Elizabeth Dorsey. . . . — Map (db m3341) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Mariottsville — Waverly
The forested land was patented in 1726 by Daniel Carroll of Upper Marlboro, who called it "The Mistake". Earliest part of house was built c. 1760 by Nathan and Sophia Dorsey. In 1786 Edward Dorsey sold 650 acres, including "The Mistake" to Colonel . . . — Map (db m3342) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Mariottsville — Waverly
The forested land was patented in 1726 by Daniel Carroll of Upper Marlboro, who called it "The Mistake". Earliest part of house was built c. 1760 by Nathan and Sophia Dorsey. In 1786 Edward Dorsey sold 650 acres, including "The Mistake" to Col. John . . . — Map (db m3343) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Waterloo — Spurrier's Tavern
Thomas Spurrier's stood at nearby crossroads connecting two important overland routes in colonial days (now U.S. 1 and MD. 175.) George Washington stopped here at least 25 times between 1789 and 1798. His diary noted July 18, 1795: "Dined and lodged . . . — Map (db m3236) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Waterloo — Spurrier's Tavern'Waterloo'
In 1771 William Spurrier opened a tavern at the intersection of the main routes linking Baltimore, Washington and Annapolis, now US 1 and MD 175. As traffic increased, it served as the first horse changing station for stages southbound from . . . — Map (db m3237) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Waterloo — Spurrier's TavernStood on this Site
George Washington stopped here at least twenty five times between 1789 and 1798. On July 18, 1795, his diary says: "Dined and lodged at Spurrier's where my sick horse died." — Map (db m3238) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Waterloo — Trinity on the Pike(Episcopal)
Consecrated by Bishop Whittingham March 26, 1857, as chapel of ease for Christ Church, Queen Caroline Parish. Protestant Episcopal Convention approved separation from Christ Church in 1866. Trinity Parish admitted by Convention two years later. Bell . . . — Map (db m3239) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Waterloo — Trinity White Oak
(Seedling in 1768) Prayer of Dedication O glorious God, Whose perfect beauty The wonderful design of all Thy work proclaim Bless, we beseech Thee, this beautiful white oak, Which we now name "The Trinity Oak" And . . . — Map (db m3241) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Brookeville — Historic Brookeville
Welcome to Historic Brookeville. Founded 1794. United States Capitol for a Day. August 26, 1814. Incorporated 1808. — Map (db m3565) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Calvert Manor
Originally a grant of 3,000 acres by Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, to his nephew, William Calvert, 1662. The area was visited by Captain John Smith, 1608, by Captain Henry Fleet, 1629, and by Governor Leonard Calvert and Father Andrew White, . . . — Map (db m3566) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Christ Episcopal Church Accokeek
Erected in 1745 when it was declared by the General Assembly of Maryland to be the "lower chapel of ease" for King George's (Piscatoway) Parish, Christ Church was the outgrowth of a chapel established about 1698 by private contributions. In 1823 it . . . — Map (db m3567) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Adelphi — Adelphi Mill
This old grist mill built in the summer of 1796, probably by two brothers Issacher adn Mahlon Scofield. In 1811 the mill was also used for wool carding. The miller's cottage is of the same period. — Map (db m3628) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Site of Van Horn's Tavern
An important stopping place in colonial days. Mentioned by Washington, Lafayette and other noted men after the Revolution. Count de Rochambeau's troops camped here in June 1782 on the return march from the victory at Yorktown. — Map (db m3574) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — George Washington House(Circa 1752)
The George Washington House, often referred to as the Indian Queen Tavern, was built by tavern keeper Jacob Wirt. Prior to the Revolution, when Bladensburg was a thriving port town, this building was rented out to Cunningham and Company, a Scottish . . . — Map (db m3575) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Holy Trinity Church
The original house of worship on this site, part of "Martha's Choice", was a chapel of ease. It was donated by the Queen Anne's Parish by the Reverend Jacob Henderson and his wife Mary, widow of Mareen Duvall, Esq. In 1844 it became Holy Trinity . . . — Map (db m3582) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brandywine — St. Paul's Episcopal ChurchBaden
Parish Church of St. Paul's Parish, one of the thirty original parishes established in 1692 in the Province of Maryland. The present structure was built in 1733 to replace the earlier church at Mt. Calvert that was in existence prior to 1692. . . . — Map (db m3568) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Cheltenham — Cheltenham United Methodist Church(Formerly Westwood Methodist Episcopal Church)
Founded in 1873 at Westwood Farm, home of Julius H. Pyles. The cornerstone was laid on October 30, 1879 and the church constructed by the congregation. Enoch Pratt, Baltimore City philanthropist, attended the dedication. The pupit was handmade from . . . — Map (db m3608) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Clinton — John Wilkes Booth
The assassin of Lincoln stopped here at the house of Mrs. Surratt to secure ammunition on the night of April 14, 1865. He rode on to "T.B." and then to Dr. Mudd's who set his broken leg. — Map (db m3612) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Dueling Grounds
On this site, now part of Anacostia River Park, more than 50 duels were fought during the first half of the 19th century. Here, on what became known as "the dark and bloody grounds", gentleman of Washington settled their political and personal . . . — Map (db m3613) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Historic Fort Lincoln Cemetery
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres. Here, at Fort Lincoln Cemetery, masterworks of marble, granite and bronze stand in solemn dignity and provides a tranquil . . . — Map (db m3614) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — St. Simon's Episcopal Mission
One of three Episcopal congregations in southern Maryland created after the Civil War for African Americans. Founded ca. 1892 as a Sunday school by Rev. Francis P. Willes and his sisters. Later became a mission of the Episcopal Diocese of . . . — Map (db m3619) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Croom — St. Thomas' Parish Church
Side A Successor to the 17th century Anglican Church at Mount Calvert, this cruciform, brick church was authorized in 1732 and completed in 1745 during the rectorate of John Eversfield, 1728-1780. Built by Daniel Page it served as chapel of . . . — Map (db m3620) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — “Warburton Manor”Patented 1661
Home of the Digges Family (descendants of Edward Digges, governor of Virginia, 1652–1668). The most intimate friend of George and Martha Washington in Prince George’s County, where they visited many times. Washington spent his forty-third . . . — Map (db m3663) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Prince George’s County - St. John’s Church
Erected 1723. (King George's Parish established 1692). Credible evidence and honest tradition record that Washington attended services here on numerous occasions. — Map (db m3662) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Glenn Dale — MariettaHome of Gabriel Duvall — (1752-1844)
Judge Gabriel Duvall built Marietta in 1812-13 and in the 1830s added a two-story wing on the north side. Duvall was distinguished for a lifetime of public service which included election to the Maryland state legislature and the United States . . . — Map (db m3630) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Greenbelt — Toaping Castle(Circa 1750)
On this site Isaac, Charles and Nathan Walker erected a large white oak log house, named for their ancestral stronghold in Scotland which the three brothers had fled after the failure of attempts to unseat George I, King of England as ruler of . . . — Map (db m3621) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Horsehead — Immanuel ChurchHorsehead, Maryland
1879      Centennial      1979 (Built 1879- Burned, Rebuilt 1896)       Located on early colonial survey line - "The Golden Race" - patented to Thomas Greenfield by Lord Baltimore in 1695. One of the earliest Methodist . . . — Map (db m3629) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Hyattsville — “Hitching Post Hill” or “Ash Hill”
George Calvert sold this land, 1836, to Robert Clark, builder of the house, 1840. General Edward F. Beale, early surveyor and government agent in the southwest, bought the estate, 1875. Presidents Grant and Cleveland were frequent visitors as was . . . — Map (db m3622) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Kettering — “Mount Lubentia”
(Patented by Ninian Beall as “Largo,” 1686) Known as “Castle Magruder” where lived Rev. Jonathan Boucher, tutor to “Jackie” Custis. George and Martha Washington, Nelly and John Parke Custis, Benedict . . . — Map (db m3631) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Laurel — Montpelier
The home of Major Snowden. Original Grant 1686. George Washington stopped here May 9 and September 21, 1787 on his way to and returning from the Constitutional Convention. — Map (db m3632) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Rosaryville — Mount Airy
17th century hunting lodge of the Lords Baltimore, 9200 acres acquired in 1751 by the honorable Benedict Calvert, member of the council, son of Charles, Fifth Lord Baltimore. Here, with George Washington present, February 4, 1774, Benedict's . . . — Map (db m3661) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Baltimore-Southern Maryland Trunk Line
Baltimore-Southern Maryland Trunk Line Robert Crain Highway At this point construction was started 1922. — Map (db m3826) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Marlboro Academy
On this site the Marlboro Academy was established in 1835. This began 150 years of education as the Marlboro Academy, The Upper Marlboro High School, and the Upper Marlboro Elementary School. — Map (db m3823) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — St. Barnabas' Church
Erected 1774 (Queen Anne Parish, established, 1705) Prince George's County. In the church which preceded this present structure, George Washington and Robert Eden, last Royal Governor of Maryland, attended service, September 6, 1772, Reverend . . . — Map (db m3670) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Thomas John Claggett, D.D.
Ordained by Lord Bishop of London 1768. First Bishop consecrated in the United States, at Trinity Church, New York City by Bishop Seabury of Connecticut. He organized this (Trinity) church 1810. Born near Nottingham, October 3, 1743; died at "Croom" . . . — Map (db m3724) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Tomb of Dr. William Beanes
To secure the release of prisoner of war Dr. Beanes, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet, September, 1814. Detained until after the attack on Baltimore, the two witnessed the bombardment of Fort McHenry on the 13th and 14th, during which Key . . . — Map (db m3727) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — Tomb of Dr. William Beanes
To secure the release of prisoner of war Dr. Beanes, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet, September, 1814. Detained until after the attack on Baltimore, the two witnessed the bombardment of Fort McHenry on the 13th and 14th, during which Key . . . — Map (db m3728) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Carmichael — Governor Robert Wright
Born in Queen Anne's County, 1752, educated at Washington College. Rose to rank of captain in Revolutionary War. Served in State Assembly; elected to U.S. Senate 1801. Chosen 13th governor of Maryland 1806, twice re-elected, later member of U.S. . . . — Map (db m3896) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Queenstown — "Clover Field"1622 Acres
Patented to William Hensley in 1730 as a resurvey of several earlier tracts granted in the sixteen hundreds. The house contains some fine woodwork. The Hemsley graveyard has some interesting tombs. — Map (db m3894) HM
Maryland (Somerset County), Crisfield — Make Peace
Patented for 150 acres 1678 to John Roach. The brick house on this property is one of the finest examples of very early colonial architecture on the Eastern Shore. — Map (db m3879) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Longwoods — Little Red Schoolhouse
The only one-room schoolhouse remaining in Talbot County is a half-mile southwest at Longwoods. Erected ca. 1885. The Talbot County Commissioners restored it in 1969 as a museum showing the development of education in this area. — Map (db m3731) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — Frederick Douglass
Born on Tuckahoe Creek, Talbot County; lived as a slave in St. Michaels area, 1833-1836. Taught self to read and write, conducted clandestine schools for blacks here. Escaped north, became noted abolitionist orator and editor. Returned 1877, as U.S. . . . — Map (db m3732) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Trappe — Nathaniel HopkinsSoldier from Trappe
This was the home of Nathaniel Hopkins, known affectionately in Talbot County as "Uncle Nace." He was born a slave near here in 1831. After leaving his owner, Percy McKnett, and serving in the United States Colored Troops during the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m3332) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Unionville — Unionville
Historic African-American community settled by ex-slaves and free blacks. Many were in Union Army in Civil War; village's name honors local soldiers. Unionville grew after the war to nearly 40 buildings with church and school. In cemetery are 18 . . . — Map (db m3893) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — The Wye Oak
The largest white oak in the United States. Estimated to be 400 years old (1940). Deeded to the state of Maryland Sept. 20, 1939, and made a state park. — Map (db m3898) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Wye Mills — Wye Oak * National Champion White Oak
The Baltimore Sun declared the Wye Oak “a symbol of all that is noble in ancient and honored trees, ...a battered giant from out of the mists of history which still resides among us.” At approximately 450 years of age, the noble giant . . . — Map (db m3165) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Stonewall Jackson's Way
Under Special Order 191, Maj. Gen Thomas J. Jackson led Confederate troops from Frederick to capture Harper's Ferry. On Sept. 11, 1862, Jackson's Second Corps moved by this road from its encampment near Boonsborough to cross the Potomac at . . . — Map (db m3912) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Dahlgren Chapel
This chapel was built around 1881 by Madeline Vinton Dahlgren, widow of Admiral John A. Dahlgren, USN, inventor of the Dahlgren gun, the armament used by the USS Monitor against the CSS Virginia, formerly the steam frigate USS Merrimack. — Map (db m1297) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Clear Spring — McCoy's Ferry
On May 23, 1861 Confederates attempting to capture the ferry boat at McCoy's Landing were driven off by the Clear Spring Guard. Here on October 10, 1862, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart crossed the Potomac on his second ride around McClellan's army. — Map (db m3914) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Gapland — “Crampton Gap”
An important part of the Battle of South Mountain was fought here September 14-15, 1862, when the Federal forces pressed the Confederate troops back into Pleasant Valley and on to Sharpsburg — Map (db m3901) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Williamsport — C & O Canal AqueductStonewall Changes Course — Antietam Campaign 1862
On September 10, 1862, Gen. Robert E. Lee ordered Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson and a detachment of 15,000 men, about two-thirds of the Army of Northern Virginia, to capture the Union garrison at Harpers Ferry and secure Confederate . . . — Map (db m1118) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Williamsport — Springfield Farm(Circa 1755)
Home of Brig. Gen. Otho Holland Williams, Revolutionary War hero and founder, 1786, of Williamsport, and of Col. Elie Williams, president of commission to lay out National Road and chief surveyor Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. President George . . . — Map (db m3909) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Williamsport — The Wagoners’ FightTeamsters Help Save the Army
More bad news arrived for the Confederates retreating from Gettysburg on July 6, 1863—Union cavalry was in hot pursuit. With the flooded Potomac River preventing Gen. John D. Imboden’s escape at Williamsport, and lacking Gen. Robert E. Lee’s . . . — Map (db m2002) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Williamsport — WilliamsportThe Beginning and the End — Gettysburg Campaign
On June 15, 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s second invasion of the North began here as 2,000 of Gen. Albert G. Jenkins’s infantrymen splashed across the Potomac River. For the next eleven days, almost 50,000 soldiers under Gens. James . . . — Map (db m1117) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Williamsport — Williamsport
Williamsport was used by Union General Patterson crossing on July 2, 1861, Confederate General Jackson moving against Harper's Ferry on September 11, 1862, and General Lee advancing with much of his army to, and retreating from, Gettysburg in June . . . — Map (db m3910) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Williamsport — Williamsport(Conococheague)
An important point during the French and Indian War 1753-1758. George Washington given authority to locate the "Federal City" at any point on the Potomac between Conococheague and the eastern branch. He inspected this site October 1790 but chose the . . . — Map (db m3911) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Zittlestown — Washington Monument
Volunteer villagers of nearby Boonesboro celebrated their Independence Day July 4, 1827, by building and dedicating this first monument to the memory of George Washington. Repaired and altered many times over a hundred years by patriotic citizens, . . . — Map (db m1908) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Allen — Asbury United Methodist Church
The original sanctuary was built in 1829 on 1/2 acre of land purchased on September 12 for $50 from Sarah Stewart and Andrew Anderson. That building, constructed from lumber from trees cut from the lot, was moved to another location when the present . . . — Map (db m3830) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Delmar — Transpeninsular Line
Transpeninsular line between Maryland and three lower counties of Pennsylvania (now Delaware) Middle Point 8 miles ← First run 1751, agreed upon 1760 and finally ratified 1769 by King George III. Thus ending almost a century of . . . — Map (db m3834) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Green Hill — Old Green Hill Church
Now St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church. Parish church of Stepney Parish, which was laid out in 1692. This building erected in 1733 replacing the first building, a log church erected about 1694, which stood about 150 yards north of the present site. — Map (db m3839) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Hebron — "Old Spring Hill" St. Paul's Church
Established here between 1711 and 1725 as a chapel of ease for Green Hill Church (1694) located 8 miles sout on the Wicomico River. The present ediface was completed in 1773 to replace the original structure. Some of the original furnishings still . . . — Map (db m3842) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Mason-Dixon Stone
This stone was one of many brought to America about 1767 to mark the boundary between Maryland and Delaware, then part of Pennsylvania. This one, never used, later was found and kept safe. In 2005 it was donated to Westside Historical Society by Mr. . . . — Map (db m3847) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Native Americans
This stone honors the memory of all the Native Americans alledged to be buried in this sacred ground. — Map (db m3849) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Young's Purchase Home
Young's Purchase Home 1724. Gravenor-English School 1857. Presented by Maryland Society, John Waller Chapter, National Society, Colonial Dames XVII Century. — Map (db m3855) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Gen. John Henry Winder, C.S.A.1800-1865
Born near Nanticoke, John Henry Winder was successively a graduate and instructor at West Point. A veteran of the Seminole and Mexican wars, Gen. Winder joined the Confederacy in 1861, and eventually directed all Confederate military prisons east of . . . — Map (db m3858) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Historic Byrd Tavern
On this spot stood the historic Byrd Tavern, a famous hostelry in stage coach days. — Map (db m3857) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Rockawalkin School circa 1872
One-room schoolhouse built for the community of Rockawalkin. It held grades 1 through 7. Later 1 through 5. Located on northeast corner of Maryland Route 349 and Rockawalkin road, it was abandoned as a school in 1939. Moved to this location, 1973. — Map (db m3845) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — St. Peter's Church
The present St. Peter's Church is the third building to stand on this site. St. Peter's Church was built as a chapel on a a two-acre site. It was completed in 1772, at a cost of 600 English pounds, and measured 45 feet by 65 feet. Many knew it . . . — Map (db m3861) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — The Great Salisbury Fire
On October 17, 1886 a small fire was discovered at Toadvine's Livery Stable on Dock Street, now Market Street. Fire spread very rapidly and eventually consumed 200 buildings including most of the commerical district. Soon after the fire began, . . . — Map (db m3860) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Salisbury — Wye Oak Seedling
Presented by Richard J. Robertson. Dedicated April 29, 1977. — Map (db m3863) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Whitehaven — Whitehaven
Chartered by Charles Calvert, 3rd Lord Baltimore, c. 1685. Town Incorporated c. 1702. Ferry operated here as early as 1692. Settlers were led by Col. George Gale of Whitehaven in the North of England. His first wife, Mildred Warner Washington . . . — Map (db m3864) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — Plymouth Rock
Plymouth Rock. Landing place of the Pilgrims. 1620. — Map (db m2896) HM
New York (New York County), Liberty Island — The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, with conquering limbs astride from land to land; here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand a mighty woman with a torch, whose flame is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her . . . — Map (db m3943) HM
Rhode Island (Providence County), Cumberland — Nine Men’s Misery
On this spot where they were slain by the Indians were buried the nine soldiers captured in Pierce’s fight. March 26, 1676. — Map (db m2924) HM
West Virginia (Tucker County), Thomas — Fairfax Stone
The Fairfax Stone (1/2 Mi.E.) marking the Potomac's headwaters, was a corner of Lord Fairfax's vast estate. The line of 1736 was checked in 1746 by a survey on which Peter Jefferson, father of Thomas Jefferson, was engaged. — Map (db m3945) HM
West Virginia (Tucker County), Thomas — Fairfax Stone
This monument, at the headspring of the Potomac River, marks one of the historic spots of America. Its name is derived from Thomas Lord Fairfax who owned all the land lying between the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers. The first Fairfax Stone, marked . . . — Map (db m3946) HM

615 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 415
Paid Advertisement