This stone chimney is all that remains of a one room country school house that served pioneer Amity pop. 119 from the early 1880's until closing in April 1930. The Amity Cemetery & Amity Ditch are the only other remains of this early Mormon . . . — — Map (db m36614) HM
Just west on the river, W.R Milligan built the first grist mill & sawmill in Round Valley, later a brick kiln was added. Subsequent owners included the Udall Bros. & J.P. Rothlisberger who built the barn just ahead. — — Map (db m36597) HM
Mining activity in Apache Pass started when members of the California Volunteers discovered a, “...gold and quartz bearing ledge...” in 1864. The “Harris Lode” as it became to be known, was later developed by the Apache Pass . . . — — Map (db m100811) HM
This frame building with a shingled roof was constructed in 1883 to enlarge the storage space available to the quartermaster. The original adobe storehouse, built in 1868, is immediately to the south.
The post quartermaster and his staff . . . — — Map (db m100954) HM
An advance guard of 96 California Volunteers, marching toward the San Simon River to establish a supply depot for the California Column, followed the Butterfield Road through Apache Pass. As they approached the abandoned stage station, Cochise and . . . — — Map (db m100820) HM
The First Protestant Church in Arizona Territory under the direction of Endicott Peabody who conducted the first services in this building on June 18, 1882.
The structure is of hand formed adobe brick, stuccoed in 1970 to protect the adobe. The . . . — — Map (db m27920) HM
In 1888, at the insistence of a group of Catholic
Laymen, The First Catholic Church in Flagstaff was built of brick on the south side of town. It was moved in 1911 to a temporary site just west of and across the street from the present permanent . . . — — Map (db m33336) HM
Under the direction of General George Crook this trail was built in the early 1870's. Starting at Fort Whipple, it winds down to Fort Verde then eastward across the Mogollon Rim to Fort Apache covering 200 miles. It was used as a supply route by . . . — — Map (db m67419) HM
This Erection Toggle Screw was used in the construction of the historic Navajo Bridge to maintain bridge vertical elevations and as a means of lowering bridge sections in place.
[Plaque Mounted on Bridge]:
State of Arizona
Navajo . . . — — Map (db m38469) HM
L.E. "Dad" Hart established Sedona's first real store in this building in 1926. The general store sold Oak Creek fruit and tourist supplies and was considered modern with gravity-drained gas pumps and the first commercial power in town. When the . . . — — Map (db m33202) HM
This house was built in 1917 and was the home of the Sedona District Ranger, Jesse I. Bushnell. It continued to serve as living quarters until 1996, when the structure was converted to office space for the USFS Sedona Ranger District. — — Map (db m94829) HM
The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad arrived in 1882, starting a stampede of commercial enterprise. The development of Williams as a community is indicated in part, by this ice cream and confectionery store built by Albert Lebsch in 1914. For a number . . . — — Map (db m33391) HM
Beginning in 1926, this vintage 1907 building served as the U.S. Post Office for 36 years. This was one of the many structures built by Cormick E. Boyce, who arrived in 1881 as a freight hauler and became one of the area's leading merchants and . . . — — Map (db m33368) HM
Shoofly Village Ruin is the remains of a large masonry and Jacal prehistoric community. It contains 80+ rooms and covers 4 acres. Between A.D. 1000 and 1200 as many as 250 people may once have lived inside its walls. The people made their living by . . . — — Map (db m67415) HM
The Route of:
Coronado in search of the Fabled Seven Cities of Cibola. 1540
James O. Pattie and other famous trappers along the Gila River.
Gen. Stephen W. Kearny and . . . — — Map (db m48612) HM
The 740th tank battalion was activated at Fort Knox, Ky. on March 1, 1943. It trained at Fort Knox and at Camp Bouse, Az. as a canal defense light (CDL) unit and as a standard medium tank battalion from October 15, 1943 to April 24, 1944 then sailed . . . — — Map (db m78562) HM
Central Europe Northern France Rhineland
The 701st tank battalion was activated 3/28/43 at Camp Campbell, KY. Here 553 young men and officers began their journey into history. These men began their basic training and for many saw . . . — — Map (db m78564) HM
Harrisburg was established on this site in 1886 by Captain Charles Harris, and his partner Governor Fredrick Tritle, as a mill town to process ore from the Socorro and other mines in the area. By 1887 two mills were operating here.
The post . . . — — Map (db m31821) HM
Suhwaro Hotel, 1916
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
This Spanish Mission Revival building had many uses, including a hotel, school and bowling alley. The San Marcos Hotel purchased the Suhwaro Hotel in 1924 for staff . . . — — Map (db m49867) HM
World War II began for the United States with a surprise attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and ended in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945. The two most striking reminders of these events are the sinking of the USS Arizona and . . . — — Map (db m72463) WM
The first meetinghouse in Phoenix for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) was built on this site by the three-hundred-member congregation of the Phoenix Ward. At the time, J. Robert Price was bishop.
Since their beginning . . . — — Map (db m27613) HM
Dedicated to Lewis Kingman, born North Bridgewater, Mass., 1845, died Mexico City, 1912.
A civil engineer who pioneered railroad location and construction in the western United States and Mexico.
During 1886-87 he supervised the . . . — — Map (db m29424) HM
Established Camp Beale's Springs about one mile north, March 25, 1871. For the protection of settlers and travelers on northern route. Served as Hualapais Indian Agency. Military Camp abandoned April 6, 1874. — — Map (db m29358) HM
Named for a migrating pioneer family attacked and killed by Indians near Gila Bend, Arizona, in 1851.
Some fifty mines operated in the Oatman area. From its beginning in 1904 and through 1931, the Oatman district produced $36,000,000 in ore. . . . — — Map (db m29464) HM
During the first decade of the Theodore Roosevelt School, girls were housed in the old fort hospital. Since the old barracks that housed the boys was inadequate, a new boys' dormitory was scheduled for construction in 1931. Before that construction . . . — — Map (db m36878) HM
Brigham City, first called Ballenger's Camp, was established here in April, 1876, as one of four fortified settlements erected along the Little Colorado River by Mormon pioneers of the United Order. They farmed the land, dammed the river and built a . . . — — Map (db m36331) HM
This area was dedicated on September 11, 1999 as a tribute to the memorable song of the 1970's that made Winslow, Arizona a town to sing about on famous Route 66.
Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark . . . — — Map (db m36329) HM
Originally named “Street of Joy” during Tucson’s Spanish period. In 1869, its name changed to Congress Street, derived from Charles O. Brown’s Congress Hall Saloon. In 1867, Arizona’s territorial capital was moved to Tucson, and Brown’s . . . — — Map (db m70191) HM
The main gate of the presidio was located near what is now Alameda Street, just north of this spot. The gate was built from mesquite timbers and had a platform above, where a guard stood watch. In the late 1860's, the families of Milton Duffield, . . . — — Map (db m83204) HM
The post surgeon was the cornerstone of army medical care. He was either a medical officer or a local civilian. At Fort Lowell, 21 men served in this capacity, assisted by enlisted hospital stewards. The surgeon maintained the health of all military . . . — — Map (db m100688) HM
An adobe building at this site housed Arizona's Government from 1868 – 1877, when Tucson was capitol of the territory. One of the meeting rooms of this second territorial capitol became the home of the pioneer Drachman family.
Source: . . . — — Map (db m51454) HM
The S.P.R.R., building the nation's second transcontinental rail line eastward from California, reached Tucson on March 20, 1880. It was the occasion for one of the greatest celebrations in the history of the city and foretold the coming of a new . . . — — Map (db m83229) HM
In the 1870's, a flour mill and a few stores formed the hub of life in Adamsville, where shootings and knifings were commonplace, and life was one of the cheapest commodities. Most of the adobe houses have been washed away by the flooding Gila River. — — Map (db m26805) HM
The Fulbrights moved into the home on February 14, 1934 continuing to complete the house as cash became available. The adobe patio wall was completed in 1934, the outside and inside walls were plastered in 1937 and the tile roof was installed in . . . — — Map (db m71776) HM
The Mormon Battalion of the U.S. Army camped here enroute to California December 17, 1846. During the war with Mexico, on the longest infantry march of record, they were first to unfurl the flag of the United States in Tucson.
This marker . . . — — Map (db m92383) HM
The Pinal Cemetery served the nearby mill town of Picketpost/Pinal (1876 to 1892), which processed the silver ore taken from the Silver King Mine. Resting here in a cross-section of people from the surrounding area: the first settlers, miners, mill . . . — — Map (db m73003) HM
Born in Rutledge, Tennessee, he became a self-taught construction engineer and builder of railroads. In 1909, he settled in the mining town of Superior, site of the Magma Copper Company. He opened his first drug store in Superior in 1913, later . . . — — Map (db m34104) HM
This native stone and brick building was built in 1898. David Connor, proprietor, was an Irish-American who originally owned the Stone Saloon on the site of this hotel. In 1897 he added the second floor and called his building the Hotel Connor. . . . — — Map (db m33155) HM
You are standing at the second story entrance to what once was a three story primary school. The land was purchased, a bond was passed and construction began in 1913. It opened May 29, 1914 to graduate 3 seniors: Francis Lyons, Gertrude Rothermel . . . — — Map (db m33191) HM
Citizens Cemetery was founded in early June 1864 with the burial of Colorado legislator Joel Woods. Established on public land east of Prescott and southwest of Fort Whipple, the cemetery has been known at various times as “Town . . . — — Map (db m21668) HM
Prescott was one of the first towns in Arizona to have a National Guard Unit. Companies B and C of the First Territorial Rifles were organized in Prescott in 1865 and Company M of the First Arizona Infantry was organized in 1910. Company M of the . . . — — Map (db m33136) HM
125th Anniversary of the Founding
Immaculate Conception Parish
1866 – 1991
Celebrated on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception
December 8, 1991
Most Rev. Manuel D. Moreno, D.D.
Bishop of . . . — — Map (db m29024) HM
Designed in the Modernistic/Art Deco style, it retains its original design and use as a lodge. Freemasonry in Yuma began in 1900. Lodge #17 was formed in November, 1901.
Dedicated December 1999, by the City of Yuma for the preservation of our . . . — — Map (db m29022) HM
The church was organized January 14, 1911. The building was constructed the same year on one-half acre of land given by W.J. Seat, located one-quarter mile south of this site. The founders saw Imperial Valley as a land of opportunity for their . . . — — Map (db m62014) HM
This route was used by Luiseño and Gabrieleño Indians, whose villages were nearby. Leandro Serrano established a home here in 1820. Jackson and Warner traveled the road in 1831, and Frémont in 1848. It was the southern emigrant road for gold seekers . . . — — Map (db m82468) HM
the two markers are attached to a flag poleUpper Marker
This marker placed in memory
Mrs. Ida B. Wellington
May 25, 1887 – Dec. 16, 1962
Historian – Humanitarian
Daughter of Drury Bailey who . . . — — Map (db m82393) HM
For over 50 years grave sites on this hill were inaccessible to wagons. Coffins were carried from the wagon to the grave up this walk which bears due west along the 3rd standard parallel south. In 1896 Mary Clough died during a storm. It took . . . — — Map (db m82429) HM
the heroic sacrifice and
"whose march over 2000 miles
from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego
help to win California for the Union
and open a . . . — — Map (db m51992) HM
On arriving at San Diego on January 29, 1847, soldiers of the Mormon Battalion occupied Fort Stockton on this site. They promptly began to improve this community, digging the first wells, crating the first pumps to draw water, building the first . . . — — Map (db m14488) HM
Founded in 1848, one mile from the first gold find in Tuolumne County, at Woods Crossing.
Arriving in 1849, Col. George F. James, a merchant popular for supplying free champagne to patrons, was elected acalde, and the town was dubbed . . . — — Map (db m33668) HM
Trail of Commerce
The heavily laden freight wagons traveled in parallel columns to minimize dust and for convenience when circling the wagons at night or when danger threatened. A circle of wagons provided a fine defensive position. But the . . . — — Map (db m77883) HM
Early Dunedin homesteader B. M. Brown and the Emerson family donated land for the construction of a church in 1876. Before it was built, John G. Andrews lost his brother William, who was killed while riding a horse during a violent storm. Andrews . . . — — Map (db m121848) HM
The Waioli Mission Hall was established by American Christian missionaries in 1834. A pole and thatch meeting house was constructed by Hawaiians on this site, in anticipation of the arrivals of the missionaries. The first meeting house was destroyed . . . — — Map (db m9804) HM
Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalaniana‘ole was born in a grass hut near this spot to Princess Kinoike Kekaulike and High Chief David Kahalepouli Pi‘ikoi. He became a delagate to U.S. Congress after Hawai‘i became a Territory in 1900, serving for 19 . . . — — Map (db m12778) HM
In January, 1778, two ships under the command of British navigator Captain James Cook sighted the northwest coast of O'ahu. The next day they cruised from Maha'ulepu to Waimea Bay on Kaua'i where they set anchor. Acquainted with the Tahitian . . . — — Map (db m65777) HM
The fertile prairies of Illinois attracted the attention of French trader Louis Jolliet and Father Jacques Marquette as they explored the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers in 1673. France claimed this region until 1763 when he surrendered it to Great . . . — — Map (db m55419) HM
Nauvoo was once the site of a Sauk and Fox village. After the Indians moved west of the Mississippi, promoters attempted to develop town sites here but the marshy bottom lands attracted few settlers.
In 1839, the Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith . . . — — Map (db m55432) HM
William Maxwell (1908-2000), author and editor, lived in this home from 1910-1920. He often returned to this home and Lincoln in his novels and short stories. His Midwestern childhood, particularly his mother's death in the Spanish influenza . . . — — Map (db m106025) HM
This 280 acres was collateral for the nation's first Federal Land Bank loan made on April 10, 1917 to farmer-stockman A. L. Stockwell. In those days, farmers and ranchers found credit hard to come by. If available, it was often very expensive . . . . . . — — Map (db m55285) HM
Two markers, to the left and right of the front entrance.
Has been placed on the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior
is listed in the
. . . — — Map (db m78049) HM
When the outbreak of war between the states became imminent in the spring of 1861, the citizens of Plattsmouth were quick to respond to the impending crisis. Without waiting for President Lincoln's call for volunteers, Dr. Robert R. Livingston . . . — — Map (db m78024) HM
is listed in the
of Historic Places
By the United States
Department of the Interior
Excelsior Building 313 Main Street 1884
Three business owners, in succession, J.C. & R. Peterson, brothers, . . . — — Map (db m78058) HM
Ore deposits readily recognized in the faulted and folded limestone deposits of this district remained unworked until 1856, when the Mormons developed a single lead mine at Potosi—probably the oldest lode mine in Nevada.
Named for . . . — — Map (db m39471) HM
Bubbling artesian springs flowed here until they were exhausted in the middle of the 20th century, over-pumped to serve the city's growing population.
These springs and the creek they created gave life to the center of the valley. They erupted . . . — — Map (db m51043) HM
This is a two-story adobe building with a rock foundation. The walls are three adobes thick and there are six rooms on each floor. Abbott served as Bishop of the local congregation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints for 27 years. His . . . — — Map (db m46740) HM
This building, popularly known as the Panaca Co-op, was constructed of adobe in 1868, by the (Mormon) "Panaca Cooperative Mercantile Institution" comprising more than one hundred stock holders -- to meet barter, merchandising, and marketing needs. . . . — — Map (db m69470) HM
Dayton, one of the earliest settlements in Nevada was first known as a stopping place on the river for California-bound pioneers. Coming in from the desert they rested here before continuing westward.
In 1849, gold was found at the mouth of Gold . . . — — Map (db m69687) HM
Once the Willow Springs freight stop on the Santa Fe Trail, the town of Raton developed from A.T. & S.F. repair shops established when the railroad crossed Raton Pass in 1879. Valuable coal deposits attracted early settlers. Nearby Clifton House was . . . — — Map (db m77849) HM
The U.S. Army established Fort Sumner in 1862 as a supply and control point for the Bosque Redondo Indian Reservation. About 10,000 Navajo were forcibly relocated from the Four-Corners Region during the tragic march known as the Long Walk. About 500 . . . — — Map (db m73718) HM
Fort Selden was established nearby in 1865 to help protect the settlements of the Mesilla Valley and travelers along the Jornada del Muerto from Apache raids. The post cemetery was located in this field until the fort was abandoned in 1891. Military . . . — — Map (db m38201) HM
This stretch of the Camino Real leaves the Río Grande and cuts across 90 miles of desert with little water or shelter. Despite its difficulty, the dreaded “Journey of the Deadman” was heavily used by Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo travelers . . . — — Map (db m38205) HM
This canyon cut here by the Rio Grande marks the crossing of the historic Camino Real, or Royal Road, to La Tierra Adentra. Trackers and traders crossed the river here to begin the arduous journey north to Santa Fe. Permanent settlement of this area . . . — — Map (db m38103) HM
In July 1867 Oliver Loving, a partner in the Goodnight-Loving cattle concern, was attacked by Comanches while driving cattle to Fort Sumner. Wounded, Loving held off the attack for two days and nights. With the help of Mexican traders, he made it to . . . — — Map (db m61471) HM
Grassy plains meet pine dotted uplands in this transition from Great Plains to Basin and Range provinces. Plains to the east are capped by caliche, sand, and gravel which are deeply eroded into the underlying bedrock in places. To the west, faulting . . . — — Map (db m91047) HM
Encamped a few yards away on July 19, 1878 were U.S. troops from Fort Stanton. Allegedly brought to protect lives and property, their presence quickened Murphy party into firing McSween's residence and pillaging the Tunstall store. — — Map (db m45989) HM
This is a two-sided markerSide A:
Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850s, after the U.S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Río Bonito, the name of the community . . . — — Map (db m119774) HM
Columbus was founded in 1891 as a U.S./Mexico border station but eventually coalesced around the railroad station three miles to the north in 1903. The area’s history is tied to a March 9, 1916, raid on Columbus by Mexican revolutionary leader . . . — — Map (db m37780) HM
Now the site of the Columbus Historical Society Museum the depot was built c. 1902 by the El Paso & Southwestern Railroad which was merged with the Southern Pacific in 1924.
Site No. 390-B
A Registered Cultural Property
State of New . . . — — Map (db m37782) HM
The Mountain Branch and the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail meet at Watrous. This important spot on the Trail was first known at La Junta, "junction" in Spanish. In 1879, with the coming of the railroad, it was named for Samuel B. Watrous, a . . . — — Map (db m55198) HM
The Orientation Center teaches persons who are blind or visually impaired the skills to live independently and work competitively. Originally part of the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, the “Training Center” opened . . . — — Map (db m46076) HM
An early fight in the Lincoln County War occurred near this sawmill on April 5, 1878, when several men of the McSween faction, including Dick Brewer and Billy the Kid, attempted to arrest Buckshot Roberts. Roberts and Brewer were killed, and two . . . — — Map (db m46038) HM
Three miles to the east is a mile-long array of pictures pecked into the solid rock walls of a volcanic ridge. They include both geometric and animal forms. They were likely made by prehistoric Mogollón Indians between ca. A.D. 1000 and 1400. — — Map (db m46040) HM
Tucumcari Mountain has long been a landmark for travelers along the Canadian River. Pathfinder Pedro Vial mentioned it in 1793, while opening a trail between Santa Fe and St. Louis. In order to find the best route from Arkansas to California, Capt. . . . — — Map (db m119938) HM
Meta L. Christy, DO, is recognized by the American Osteopathic Association as the first black osteopath. Dr. Christy graduated in 1921 from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine as its first black graduate. The College . . . — — Map (db m45889) HM
(front of marker)
Spanish colonization of this region, once the location of many Tiwa Indian pueblos, began in the 17th century. Corrales is named for the extensive corrals built here by Juan González, founder of Alameda. In the 18th . . . — — Map (db m45436) HM
This is a fragment from Jumbo, a huge steel vessel designed to contain the explosion of the first nuclear device at the Trinity Site some 35 miles southeast of here on July 16, 1945. Jumbo was 25 feet long, 12 feet in diameter, and weighed 214 tons. . . . — — Map (db m35908) HM
These two striking mounds were the first features to become visible to Santa Fe Trail traffic crossing into New Mexico from Oklahoma, and so became important landmarks for caravans.
From here, traffic on this major 19th century commercial route . . . — — Map (db m55219) HM
C.E. Ogden No. 1, producing 200 barrels a day from San Andres lime formation was brought in, Dec. 1929, by Deep Rock Oil Co.--The Andrews County discovery well and first of 730 wells in Fuhrman-Masco oil field.
Bought, Feb. 1932, by . . . — — Map (db m61380) HM
William Miles Dye was born in Kentucky in 1864 and moved to Texas with his parents in 1870. He settled in this area in 1891, one year after the organization of Armstrong County. By hauling rock from Palo Duro Canyon, Dye helped in the construction . . . — — Map (db m100511) HM
Named for Will H. Hamblen (1878 - 1952), who in 1890's pioneered a crude road (about 6 mi. N) into Palo Duro Canyon along old Indian trails. This cut 120 mi off the settlers' trips to courthouse in Claude, but was steep and dangerous.
Hamblen . . . — — Map (db m23982) HM
Founded in 1935 as a wintering area for migratory waterfowl, Muleshoe Wildlife Refuge is on the “central flyway” in a chain of refuges from Mexico to Canada. Migrating birds begin arriving in August and remain until April. The largest . . . — — Map (db m73667) HM
When the railroad came through this area in 1882, the settlement of Osborne was established here near natural springs. The community's name changed to Murphysville in 1883, and at that time, as the population began to grow, missionaries arrived from . . . — — Map (db m61014) HM
Frame and adobe. Built facing old cattle loading pens on the Southern Pacific Railway.
Lodgings and saloon for cowhands and ranchers in town to ship cattle from widely scattered ranches of the Big Bend country.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m61071) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service. Defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — — Map (db m60610) HM
Founded in 1904 as a private bank by John Walter Knorpp (1867-1952), member of an established banking family of Missouri, New Mexico, and Texas, and Eugene Sherwood Blasdel (1878-1930), oil and grain business developer of this region. In 1905 . . . — — Map (db m100358) HM
Formed from Tom Green County Created February 26, 1887 Organized September 3, 1927. Named in honor of William Carey Crane 1816-1885. A Baptist minister President of Baylor University 1863-1885 Crane, The County Seat. — — Map (db m85569) HM
A natural salt deposit, known and used for the past 300 years. On land grant from Mexico to Juan Cordova; name, misread on maps, is now unique to lake.
Apaches were encountered here by explorers in 1683. From days of early settlers, Mexicans . . . — — Map (db m118270) HM
Noted church leader, educator. A Virginian. Received B. A. and M. A., George Washington University. Taught in Georgia, 1837-39; was ordained Baptist minister, 1838. Was pastor of various leading churches; president of 2 church colleges in . . . — — Map (db m118268) HM
Named in 1903 for J.S. Cone, who helped carry mail here from the nearby town of Emma. Post Office was established same year in general store of R.E. Chapman, who became the first Postmaster. Town once had a school, stores, and churches. Now center . . . — — Map (db m104787) HM
Founded when Crosbyton-South Plains Railway ran first train here, April 10, 1911. Named for Lorenzo Dow, employee of C. B. Livestock Company, which promoted the town, and in 1914 encouraged area to plant cotton. Incorporated in 1924.
Now a . . . — — Map (db m106236) HM
In the spring of 1891, merchants R.L. Stringfellow and H.E. Hume of nearby Estacado founded the town of Emma, named in honor of Stringfellow's future wife, Emma Savior (or Sevall). The two men organized a general store and laid out the townsite, . . . — — Map (db m106206) HM
The original five acre tract of land for this burial ground was purchased from the C.B. Livestock Co. on September 7, 1915, four years after the town of Ralls was founded. The cemetery was first used for the interment of W.H. Shell (d. 1915). The . . . — — Map (db m106234) HM
A wind-driven machine for pumping water. Its use made gardening easier and led to irrigated farming on arid High Plains. With barbed wire, it enabled settlers and stockmen to penetrate region in 1870s.
Town had name “Windmill City” . . . — — Map (db m56021) HM
Pioneer area settler Henry S. Boydstun (1858-1942), a native of Illinois, moved his family to this area in 1890. That year, his infant son, Eddie, died and was buried in the southwest corner of the family farm. In 1898, Boydstun deeded two acres at . . . — — Map (db m100418) HM
Emmet V. Headlee was a fourth-generation physician; his great-grandfather, Elisha Headlee, was a Civil War surgeon. His grandfather and father practiced medicine in Teague (Freestone Co.), and Emmet was born there in 1900. At age thirteen, he saved . . . — — Map (db m86705) HM
Old Fort Bliss, on site formerly in Mexico. Owned after 1849 by Simeon Hart, founder of Hart's Mill and early village of El Paso.
Officers quarters, built about 1879 on 3' foundations of hewn stone. 24" walls are double-laid adobe brick. — — Map (db m38052) HM
317 South El Paso Street was the site of a leading pro-Villista Spanish language newspaper, La Patria, published by Silvestre Terrazas, a member of the oligarchic Chihuahuan Terrazas family. Terrazas wrote for La Revista Catolica and . . . — — Map (db m60744) HM
In the late 1800s medical treatment of Tuberculosis called for isolation of the patient and complete rest. After the turn of the century research showed that bacteria responsible for the transmission of the communicable disease could be destroyed by . . . — — Map (db m37935) HM
Legend says this house was built before 1800. In 1840s, its owner was Jose Ortiz, whose cart train freighted salt from foot of Guadalupe Mountains to Durango; knives, sarapes, clothing to Santa Fe and Llano Estancado. There he traded with Comanches . . . — — Map (db m61603) HM
This congregation, organized in the early 1900s, is thought to be the oldest denominational church in Gray County. The Rev. G.R. Fort served as first pastor. Methodists in McLean met in a one-room schoolhouse until their first sanctuary was . . . — — Map (db m100356) HM
In 1888 a telegraph station on the Southern Kansas Railroad developed here, and was named Glasgow. Renamed Sutton a year later, a post office was established in 1892 and the town was named Pampa by George Tyng (d. 1906), manager of the White Deer . . . — — Map (db m55853) HM
First settlement in county. Established as a post office in 1884 by Horatio Graves of New York, a Methodist minister. Then only county resident, he planned to found religious colony here; named place for Epworth, England, birthplace of John Wesley, . . . — — Map (db m91328) HM
Born in Johnson County, Texas, Jeff Williams came to Hale County in 1896. Largely self-taught, he began surveying in 1902 and worked on the XIT Ranch resurvey of 1909. He was Potter County surveyor, 1907-15, and held the same post in Hale County, . . . — — Map (db m91300) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar
Created, August 21, 1876
Organized, March 11, 1889
Named in honor of
John M. Hansford
came to Texas in 1837
Member of the Texas Congress
Judge of the Seventh Judicial
District, . . . — — Map (db m93468) HM
Founded 1917; incorporated 1921. Named for Thomas C. Spearman, a vice-president and head of the Land Department of the Santa Fe Railway. The Santa Fe line was completed to Spearman in 1920, making this the first railroad shipping point in the . . . — — Map (db m93459) HM
Originally organized in 1886 in the Jackson Springs community, this church was first served by circuit riders C. T. Neese and J. T. Hosmer. Shortly after the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway came through Chillicothe in 1887, the Jackson Springs . . . — — Map (db m104923) HM
In 1884, a most unlikely fellow bought a lot and had built on it a structure of native limestone to house Big Spring’s first meat market. Joseph Heneage Finch, the Seventh Earl of Aylesford, Warwickshire, England (forced out of his country in the . . . — — Map (db m86637) HM
In 1900, James Currie, a rancher in Glasscock County, Texas, constructed a place of business at 117 Main Street, Big Spring, Howard County, Texas on property he purchased from Martha Hope of St. Louis, Missouri, in 1897.
From that time until . . . — — Map (db m86635) HM
Designed by the architectural firm of L. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. This concrete and stone Classical Revival edifice, erected by the Falls City Construction . . . — — Map (db m61144) HM
Created in 1876, King County organized in 1891. Its first courthouse, a two-story frame structure, was destroyed in 1905 by a tornado. The next house of justice, built of sandstone, burned in 1914. That same year, the county hired Fort Worth . . . — — Map (db m105089) HM
This bridge was constructed in 1938-39 to replace a 1901 bridge and provide a crossing over the Brazos River. Located on State Highway 6 (originally State Highway 16 and later State Highway 283) south of Benjamin, the bridge links the Knox County . . . — — Map (db m105085) HM
Indian camp and watering place extensively used in hunting buffalo. Became cattle territory in 1882 when Tom Lynch drove his herds from New Mexico.
After acquisition by the Capitol Syndicate this became headquarters of largest division of the . . . — — Map (db m104434) HM
During World War II, nine preliminary and advanced military glider pilot training fields operated in Texas; one of the most prominent sites was located here. The U.S. Army Air Forces (USAAF) leased Lubbock Municipal Airport, and with help from the . . . — — Map (db m52147) HM
The cell block of this jail was originally included in the 1885 Martin County Courthouse, built the year after the organization of Martin County when Stanton was known as Marienfeld. When the courthouse was torn down following a 1908 bond election, . . . — — Map (db m86546) HM
These two pioneer institutions, which began even before a town grew up here, were first housed in the same tiny, one-room building. The structure was erected in 1890 by local settlers when Westbrook was only a flag-stop on the Texas & Pacific Line. . . . — — Map (db m120410) HM
This county was created in 1876 and named for noted Texas jurist William Beck Ochiltree (1811-1867). In 1876 it was attached for judicial purposes to Clay and later to Wheeler County. In 1886 pioneers began to settle in dugouts here on the prairies . . . — — Map (db m93621) HM
Legislator, judge, newspaperman. Came to Texas from Arkansas. Member 1861 Texas Secession Convention. Chosen delegate to provisional Confederate Congress, Montgomery, Ala. Sent Arkansas to work for secession by Jefferson Davis 1861. Texas . . . — — Map (db m91755) HM
Amarillo's status as the “Helium Capital of the World” can be traced back to the efforts of one man, Jack B. Kelley.
Kelley was born in 1916 in Sherman, Texas and moved to Amarillo in 1925. He attended Amarillo High School and in . . . — — Map (db m91717) HM
Architect Guy Carlander designed this administration building for Amarillo College. It was built in 1936-37 and later named for George Ordway, who with James Guleke obtained legislative authority to establish the school. The L-plan building consists . . . — — Map (db m91566) HM
Built in 1928-30 at a cost of $1,500,000, this structure was designed by Santa Fe Railroad architect E. A. Harrison. The 14-story building was the tallest in Amarillo until the 1970s, and housed the offices and division headquarters of the Santa Fe . . . — — Map (db m40843) HM
In 1940, Marfa received a Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant of more than $15,000 to help build a new gymnasium named to honor athletic director Boren Hunter. The modified rectangular plan building features plastered adobe infill walls, a . . . — — Map (db m60810) HM
Milton Faver (ca.1822-1889), a native of the Midwest United States, moved to this area in the 1850s from Presidio del Norte, where he owned a general store and operated a freighting business on the Chihuahua Trail. By the 1880s, Faver controlled . . . — — Map (db m60848) HM
Ranchman's headquarters in town; slept in bedroll in his wagon or in room above the office. Cooked over campfire in yard.
Overnight charges: 10 ¢ a horse; 50 ¢ a man. Feed and coal were sold, water was free. Hands were hired, horses doctored . . . — — Map (db m91394) HM
One of the most significant battles of 1874-75 Indian campaign; columns of troops converging from five directions harassed Indians on the Panhandle Plains for over six months.
The 4th Cavalry under Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie, moving north from Fort . . . — — Map (db m91528) HM
"Finest from Ft. Worth to El Paso." Saloon built 1896 of Pecos Valley red sandstone. Hotel opened 1907 by R.S. Johnson, owner. Headquarters for land promoters, salesmen, families of settlers in early years of Pecos Valley development.
Restored . . . — — Map (db m61271) HM
Flat, arid, grassy land with a moderate water supply from the Pecos River and springs in Toyah Valley. Yuma Indians are thought to have done irrigated farming here in 16th century. Mexicans later raised vegetables, grain.
Cattlemen moved in . . . — — Map (db m61269) HM
Held a block south of Pecos Courthouse, July 4, 1883. Started with claims of cattle outfits--NA, Lazy Y, and W Ranches--that each had fastest steer ropers.
Settlers in town for Fourth of July picnic were spectators. The prizes were blue ribbons . . . — — Map (db m61235) HM
Founded 1907 by a realty firm. Named by townsite surveyor, for his native county in Virginia.
When Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad reached this point in Sept. 1909, a 3-day picnic was held. Buildings at Light, Texas, a mile east, were moved . . . — — Map (db m110833) HM
Born in Burnet County. Served as city marshal of Snyder, 1906-1926. Brought organized law to railroad and land boom era. Also served as Special Texas Ranger. Donor of Wolf Park. Never backed down from fight; creed was "Law and Order". — — Map (db m110882) HM
Settled in 1879 as a rancher in northeast Scurry County. In 1884, six months after county organization, the first sheriff resigned in disgust. Faught was appointed, serving remainder of that term plus three more. As sheriff, he never wore a gun.
. . . — — Map (db m110884) HM
The first public burial ground in the new Terry County seat of Brownfield was begun in 1904 when 19-year-old Jessie Hill died and was interred here. By 1907, this land belonged to M. V. Brownfield; records do not indicate whether the cemetery was . . . — — Map (db m73484) HM
In 1885, Joseph Thomas Hamilton (1856-1932) married Laura Letha Franklin (1867-1936) in Franklin County, Texas. Natives of southern U.S. states, the couple moved west with their first three children and settled here in 1902, before Terry County was . . . — — Map (db m73503) HM
This burial ground has served Meadow and northeast Terry County since 1921. Meadow originated in the early 20th century as Primrose, where settler W.N. Copeland opened a store and post office. The town later moved and was renamed for its location on . . . — — Map (db m106459) HM
C.E. Pierce, an early advocate of irrigated agricultural lands for the Pecos River valley, had this building constructed in 1901 to house Ward County's first bank. Never incorporated, the bank lost money due to area crop failures and closed in 1907. . . . — — Map (db m61214) HM
Fort Elliott, established June 5, 1875 to help keep Native Americans on their Indian territory reservations, was partially garrisoned by African American soldiers called “Buffalo Soldiers” by Native Americans. Various companies of the . . . — — Map (db m93727) HM
First stood about a mile to the northwest, at Fort Elliott, established 1875 to protect the Texas Panhandle from Indians.
J. J. Long, teamster-merchant, who arrived with the soldiers, was hired to provide a flagpole for the fort. In cedar breaks . . . — — Map (db m93702) HM
First jail in Panhandle of Texas. Central holding place for badmen. Built at cost of $18,500, including $1200 for a hangman's device put in to meet state requirement. Stone quarried on farm of Emanuel Dubbs, first . . . — — Map (db m93700) HM
Created 1860; until 1896, one of largest counties in Texas. Organized at Old Mobeetie, northwest of here. In 1880s settlement was rapid; by 1892 nearly 2,500 pupils were in county's schools. A post office, jail and many houses were built, and over . . . — — Map (db m100324) HM
Derived its name from the T. J. and J. B. Lockett families who settled here in 1888. On Dec. 24, 1888, Wm. Lockett, their father, died while visiting here and was among the first to be buried in the East View Cemetery. The J. B. Lockett family moved . . . — — Map (db m104991) HM
The Wink School organized in April 1928, at which time an independent district formed and the first board of trustees was elected. The Wink Junior High and High School, built in 1929, is a two-story building with running bond brick cladding and . . . — — Map (db m110139) HM
On this site in 1870, in a three story building, 60 x 120 feet, the first Woolen Mills in Southern Utah operated. Machinery was brought here from New England by railroad and wagon. John Ashworth and others schooled in England in the art of wool . . . — — Map (db m75577) HM
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — — Map (db m40524) HM
Outlaw or Hero?
"My father, he carried the mail, and he always stopped and had dinner at a certain place [in Red Canyon]. While he was having dinner, old Butch Cassidy came to his camp. He told about these fellows following him. He got up . . . — — Map (db m40513) HM
The reconstruction of the historic pioneer cemetery wall was completed in August 1994 as a memorial to the stalwart Mormon pioneers who settled this part of the American West and who originally built and dedicated the wall in the year 1886. It was . . . — — Map (db m75618) HM
A tabernacle was erected in 1885 on the adjoining corner of Main and Center Streets and was demolished in the spring of 1932. In 1872 Bishop Christopher J. Arthur suggested that this Tabernacle be built to replace the Social Hall.
Mayhew Dalley . . . — — Map (db m59540) HM
The Cedar City Pioneers had made their homes in the Old Fort and had built an adobe schoolhouse 28 feet by 60 feet when, in May 1855, President Brigham Young advised them to move to higher ground. By 1859, the majority of the people had moved to the . . . — — Map (db m59542) HM
The low ridge at the south end of this valley forms the south rim of the Great Basin, which in prehistoric times was the bed of a vast body of water now referred to as Lake Bonneville. It was so named in honor of Captain Benjamin L. E. Bonneville, . . . — — Map (db m1382) HM
This structure, constructed c. 1930, is significant for it's association with the history of firefighting in Mammoth. In August 1912, the Mammoth City Council organized a volunteer firefighting unit, and on August 27, 1912, the first meeting of the . . . — — Map (db m75443) HM
Burraston Ponds was the campsite of the Escalante Expedition, 27 September 1776, from Santa Fe to the Utah Basin. Father Escalante mapped this area and named this spring "Ojo de San Pablo" or Eye of Saint Paul.
The great Indian chiefs before . . . — — Map (db m75277) HM
In 1859, John Hoile established a flour gristmill at First South between First and Second East. The mill consisted of a small one-story frame building. On June 20, 1870, the mill was bought by John Hague who operated it until he died in 1900. The . . . — — Map (db m75269) HM
From 1877 to 1927, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints traveled this route to be united in eternal marriage in the St. George Utah Temple. Thus, the route was named the “Honeymoon Trail.”
Families came from . . . — — Map (db m95008) HM
The Kanab Library was built between 1939 and 1940 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The library is one of 226 buildings constructed in Utah under the WPA and is important in documenting the impact of New Deal programs in the state. . . . — — Map (db m94940) HM
Official outlet of ZCMI (Zion's Co-operative Mercantile Institution), "America's First Department Store". This building housed the Grayson City Co-op from 1918 to 1939 when the name was changed to Parley Redd Mercantile. Both companies were part of . . . — — Map (db m95063) HM
The first white settlers of the region were cattlemen. Cattle were first introduced into the San Juan County-Blue Mountain area during the 1870s. Large numbers of the animals were placed on the thousands of acres of lush grasses which grew in the . . . — — Map (db m95129) HM
Gunnison settlers began farming the land to the south in the early 1860's, each claiming his acreage under "Squatter's Rights" and later paying a filing fee of $1.25. Water was obtained from the Sanpitch River and fresh mountain springs. By 1877 . . . — — Map (db m74903) HM
In the Early 80's Centerfield was known as "The Field" or "South Gunnison". The thirty families living there erected a public building in 1882 made of red pine logs with a slab roof covered with clay. A stone fireplace furnished the heat while the . . . — — Map (db m74905) HM
The Mount Pleasant "Liberal" Club was an organization whose members were usually former Mormons. They built this hall in 1875 as a meeting place and social center. It was here that the Presbyterian minister and educator, the Reverend Dr. Duncan J. . . . — — Map (db m75171) HM
William Sandstrom built this two-story frame and adobe commercial building in 1911. The first floor operated as a pool hall with a dance hall above. Later in the century, it was operated as a grocery store. It also served as the post office and, . . . — — Map (db m75054) HM
In this cemetery are the remains of many of the settlers of the town of Pettyville. In 1873, George Petty led fifteen families from the town of Manti to an area located two miles west of Sterling. They built a settlement and named it after Mr. . . . — — Map (db m74920) HM
Elsinore, named for a town in Denmark, was settled in 1874-75 by families of James C. Jensen, Charles H. Nielson, Lars Hansen, Niels Erickson, Hans Nielsen, William and Vigo Smith; Thomas C. Jensen and sons: (Jens Ivor, Christian J., Niels Peter), . . . — — Map (db m74807) HM
This old lime kiln is the best preserved of seven kilns constructed north of Richfield during the late 1880′s. It was built by John Kyhl for Jens Larsen Jenson, a Swedish immigrant. The lime was used in the construction of homes, churches and . . . — — Map (db m74841) HM
This mission chapel was erected in 1880 as part of the efforts of Reverend Duncan McMillan to evangelize central Utah. Originally located on Main Street, the building was torn down and rebuilt at this location in 1937/38. The church also symbolizes . . . — — Map (db m74818) HM
The town of Harrisburg was founded by Moses Harris in 1859. By 1868, twenty-five families had made their homes in this little valley along Quail Creek, located three miles south of Leeds and twelve miles northeast of St. George. . . . — — Map (db m59644) HM
The warm comfortable productive climate in the sheltered valleys along the meandering Rio Virgin and its lower tributaries in Washington County became known as "Utah's Dixie".
The rugged pioneer colonizers and their descendants are known as . . . — — Map (db m59365) HM
St. John's Church
After his 1877 visit to Silver Reef, Father Scanlan appointed Father Dennis Kiely as the local pastor. The increasing Catholic population continued to ask for a church. Father Scanlan returned in November 1878 to . . . — — Map (db m59627) HM
Fort Harmony was designated as the training site of the Iron County division of the Utah Militia. In 1857 the Militia was divided into 13 districts. The southern group consisted of all counties south of Beaver and was known as the Iron County . . . — — Map (db m75622) HM
The Opera House served as the cultural center of the community from 1875 until the 1930s. The original "T" shaped building seated 300 persons. A mechanically adjustable sloping floor afforded an excellent view of the stage. — — Map (db m59093) HM
The Relief Society Hall's main section was built in 1875 and the west wing about 1904. This makes the present "L" shaped building. Both sections were built of adobes that were produced locally. Its style of architecture is Greek Revival that . . . — — Map (db m59312) HM
Built by Col. Joseph Van Swearingen
American Revolutionary Soldier
Visited by Lafayette, George Washington, Henry Clay and Wm. J. Bryan
Home of Henry Shepherd V. Descendant of Shepherdtown's founder — — Map (db m70863) HM
3213 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3013