Over 800 Potawatomi were forcibly removed from near Plymouth, Indiana by U. S. And Indiana Officials and taken to eastern Kansas in 1838. This historic event was named the “Trail of Death” after the tragic occurrence of 39 recorded . . . — — Map (db m33251) HM
Murder, larceny, and even rape- - -the young circuit lawyer Abraham Lincoln, practicing in Urbana, handled cases involving all of these in the courthouse which stood on this city block. Lincoln unsuccessfully defended . . . — — Map (db m31119) HM
Nineteenth-century Illinois political campaigns and rallies were raucous affairs, part entertainment and part serious politics. The candidates were often accompanied or preceded by marchers, fireworks, flag . . . — — Map (db m30866) HM
Abraham Lincoln was a frequent visitor to Cole County in the 1840's, traveling on the judicial circuit. In Charleston, according to Amanda Hanks Poorman (the daughter of Dennis Hanks), Lincoln would use the Hankss horse . . . — — Map (db m30847) HM
Left Panel: “This will certify that the foregoing plot of the town of Farmington laid by me as proprietor is correct.
Witness my hand and seal this 30th day of April 1852.”
J. J. . . . — — Map (db m30979) HM
On this block Mary Ann (Elwell) Gogin operated a General Merchandise Store in the late nineteenth century.
One of the first women in Illinois to own and manage her own store. Mrs. Gogin was affectionately known as "Auntie" to the residents of . . . — — Map (db m23315) HM
This satirical February 1863 editorial illustration, titled “The Copperhead Party, “ depicts three Copperheads advancing on Columbia. Copperheads were Southern sympathizers who saw themselves as “Peace . . . — — Map (db m24235) HM
When Lincoln called for troops to defend the Union, the men and boys of DeWitt County heeded his urgent request. Some who volunteered were from families who had know and befriended Lincoln during his days as a prairie lawyer . . . — — Map (db m24253) HM
The Men and Women
who Have Served
W W I Apr. 6, 1916 — Nov. 11, 1918
Atwill Augustus Basil Bennett Emil Bennett James R. Bolin, Sr. Rholand Fitzpatrick . . . — — Map (db m30946) WM
In 1834, Joseph Smith, prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS), together with about 200 LDS Volunteers from Kirtland, Ohio, marched to assist threatened church members in Jackson County, Missouri. Called “Zions . . . — — Map (db m23351) HM
In February 1855,Abraham Lincoln was with a group of sixty passengers stranded in Pontiac after a train, bound for Springfield from Chicago, became mired in a snowdrift just this side of where the village of Cayuga was . . . — — Map (db m29717) HM
Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas were opposing attorneys during Livingston Countys first regular term of circuit court, which was held on this site May 18 and 19, 1840, in Henry Weeds log cabin. In the first . . . — — Map (db m29676) HM
From 1839 to 1848 the seat of Logan County was Postville, which centered in the Court House located on this site. In this structure Abraham Lincoln, a member of the Traveling Bar of the Eighth Judicial Circuit, attended Court twice a year. — — Map (db m12185) HM
Mt. Pulaski served as the seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1853. The First County Court was at Postville, now part of Lincoln, Illinois.
In 1848 Logan County voters approved the removal of the Court from Postville to Mt. Pulaski. Local citizens . . . — — Map (db m12327) HM
In 1816 while this land area was still a part of the Illinois Territory and before Illinois became a state on December 3, 1818, two brothers named Lorton from St. Joseph, Michigan came to this vicinity and built an Indian trading house which also . . . — — Map (db m33295) HM
Forcibly removed from northen Indiana to eastern Kansas, over 800 Potawatomi encamped here, cared for sick, and were allowed to hunt; 2 children and 1 woman died; 39 deaths occurred along the entire route.
Sponsors: Hanson Engineers, . . . — — Map (db m33284) HM
“A rustic on his first visit to the circus” is how John W. Baddeley, an English immigrant farmer described Abraham Lincoln on his first visit to the McLean County Courthouse as a young attorney in the summer of 1837. Lincoln was wearing . . . — — Map (db m12362) HM
The Moultrie County Courthouse was dedicated November 12, 1906. It was authorized by the citizens in February 1904, designed by Deal & Ginzel, Lincoln, IL and built by H. B. Walter, Danville, IL for $87,000, including furnishings. It is 75 feet by . . . — — Map (db m11031) HM
Main Text in Center Brass Plaque
In Honor of the men and women who have served their country in the armed services of The United States
Duty Honor Country
With the exception of the above inscription, the brass . . . — — Map (db m9323) HM
Bryant Cottage was built in 1856 by Francis E. Bryant (1818 - 1889), a friend and political ally of Senator Stephen A. Douglas. According to Bryant family tradition, on the evening of July 29, 1858, Douglas and Abraham Lincoln conferred in the . . . — — Map (db m23899) HM
Lincoln wrote Douglas on July 24, 1858, challenging him “to divide time and address the same audiences” during the campaign. The Senator suggested seven locations, adding, “I will confer with you at the earliest . . . — — Map (db m23858) HM
In this Old Capitol on April 25, 1861, Senator Douglas delivered his “Protect the Flag” speech, one of the most heroic and effective speeches in the English language. His plea helped save our Country and was the culmination of his great . . . — — Map (db m12428) HM
Sculptor John McClarey is a former Illinois high school history teacher with an international reputation as an artistic interpreter of Abraham Lincoln. He has won many prestigious awards for his work, including the Order of Lincoln in 2009. His . . . — — Map (db m30897) HM
In the Shelbyville area during the Spring of 1929, Raymore McDonald designed and developed the first commercial pick-up baler as conceived and financed by Horace Tallman and his sons, Leslie R. And Gentry L.
These balers were marketed for many . . . — — Map (db m10992) HM
May this site of "Freedom Square" be an eternal remembrance of those Shelby County Veterans who served and sacrificed that all people might live in a world of peace and freedom.
[Left of the inscription, etching of General MacArthur walking . . . — — Map (db m80914) HM
Abraham Lincoln handled at least 147 divorce cases during his twenty-five years as a lawyer. One in Shelby County also concerned the ownership of land. William Stewardson and Mary Jane Dawson, both English immigrants, . . . — — Map (db m30805) HM
We stand in deep appreciation for the Liberty we enjoy.
Pilot Township Memorial
Lloyd Hilleary Gene Kinney Robert Keal Elmer Grimes Lloyde Coake Carl Wise William . . . — — Map (db m17128) HM
A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America. Sponsored by Roselawn Garden Club Danville, Illinois on their 50th anniversary, March 16, 1978. In cooperation with The Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, . . . — — Map (db m10372) HM
Danville was a destination for Abraham Lincoln for nearly twenty years. He first came to the village of a few hundred residents when he was a thirty-two-year-old attorney in 1841.
Elizabeth Harmon described the early . . . — — Map (db m29481) HM
Since before the founding of our Republic and throughout our history, American women have fought for freedom selflessly and with little or no recognition for their contributions. — — Map (db m10548) HM
Upper - Center Panel
Honor and Glory to our Fighting Heroes
Condolence to those whos loved ones have fallen in battle, and a proud though regrettable chapter in Vermilion Countys History of World War 2.
Lower - Center . . . — — Map (db m10722) HM
In Honor of
Who Have Served
Who Are Serving
Who Will Serve
In Honor of Our Veterans
In Honor of All Patriots
Within glass cases are names of local veterans who have served or . . . — — Map (db m11358) WM
Center PanelEtched in the monument are the emblems of the six services (in order), US Air Force, US Army, US Coast Guard, US Marine Corps, US Merchant Marine, and the US Navy
Revolutionary War (1) · Blackhawk War (2) · War . . . — — Map (db m11778) WM
Sidell Veterans War Memorial
Jesse Burns W. T. Butler Orville P. Hunt Samuel Kleffman Enoch McKee Henry Mullen Emanual Palmer Thomas Ramsey Henry Talbott Joe Twiner Benjamin West . . . — — Map (db m11441) WM
World War I
Servicemen from Tilton
William E. Arnold Jack Ashbaugh Christ Benekas John Lester Billman Harry H. Blue, Sr. Elbert O. Bolser Milton Burlin Ray C. Cox Roscoe N. . . . — — Map (db m11417) WM
Large Memorial Stone Marker
For God And Country
They died that we might live
Richard Dowiatt Joseph Kotcher Alex Mazeikas Henry Kerkes Mario Biava Achille Delanois Harold . . . — — Map (db m10749) WM
((The greatest care has been given to get each persons name correct. If any mistakes are found, please contact me so correction can be made. - - Al Wolf.))
Bartholomew County . . . — — Map (db m48551) WM
(( Front (“A - C”) - - Side ))
In Honor of All
Civil War Veterans
of Blackford County
( Row One )
Henry B. Adams Watson Adams William W. Adams David V. Addison Philip H. Albright Elijah H. Alexander . . . — — Map (db m54347) WM
In 1831 John Adams, Pennsylvania, built a saw mill here. In 1832 he entered land, in 1835-36 added a flouring mill. The present building was erected in 1845, restored by M. & Mrs. Claude Sheets in 1840. Boliver Village was platted around the mill in . . . — — Map (db m42694) HM
The Longest Canal in North America
Carroll County Wabash & Erie Canal
The Wabash & Erie Canal extended 468 miles
from Toledo, Ohio to Evansville, Indiana
On March 2, 1827, a Congressional land grant made . . . — — Map (db m35449) HM
Here at Chief Winamac's old village, about 900 Potawatomi Indians camped on their forced removal from Indiana to Kansas. A child and a man died here during the encampment. They also left behind 24 too sick to continue. — — Map (db m35399) HM
Floras Station, on the Logansport, Crawfordsville and Southwestern Ry., was platted in 1872 for John Flora on land entered by him in 1829. Ino Post Office established 1872, changed to Flora in 1873. Also called Fountain City from flowing wells. . . . — — Map (db m42711) HM
Founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken
Erected 1987 by these Local Franchisees:
Mr. & Mrs. Robert Bagshaw
Mr. & Mrs. William Bridges
Mr. & Mrs. William Bright
Mr. & Mrs. Roy Burchel
Mr. & Mrs. Lee Cummings
Mr. & Mrs. Ralph . . . — — Map (db m55017) HM
Site of Jefferson General Hospital, the third largest hospital in the United States during the Civil War. Under Dr. Middleton Goldsmith's command it served over 16, 000 patients. — — Map (db m46647) HM
(Upper - Bronze Plaque:)
This Tablet Is Dedicated
To The Memory Of
The Revolution Soldiers
Captain Harmon Aughe
Frederick . . . — — Map (db m21438) WM
Captain Samuel C. Vance
Our Founder Plaque Two
In memory of Captain Vance and the pioneer families who endured the hardships of flatboat travel to reach this place in the wilderness.
They lived in log cabins . . . — — Map (db m20604) HM
Caroline and her four children escaped Kentucky slave owner October 31, 1847; they crossed Ohio River near Madison. After passing near here, Fugit Township black and white residents hid family close to Clarksburg. While hidden, . . . — — Map (db m44743) HM
( Front Plaque )
( Bronze “Crest” of the “Spanish War Veterans 1898 - 1902" )
( Obverse Plaque )
( Likeness of the Original Memorial )
Original Spanish American War Memorial
On 24 August . . . — — Map (db m44798) WM
Structure, circa 1893, is Muncie's oldest standing public school building. Purchased by church congregation, circa 1928. Rallying point in August 1930 when bodies of two African-American men, lynched in Marion, were brought to Muncie for embalmment . . . — — Map (db m31346) HM
Erected 1831 by Oliver H. Smith. Later home of Caleb B. Smith, Secretary of Interior under Lincoln and Grand Master of Indiana Masons. Restored 1941 as home for local Masonic bodies. — — Map (db m44768) HM
In 1836 construction began on this fifty-six lock, one hundred one mile canal. Opened from Lawrenceburg to Brookville (1839), it was extended to Laurel and Cincinnati (1843), Connersville (1845), Cambridge City (1846), and Hagerstown (1847). — — Map (db m44741) HM
Andrew Carnegie rose from humble beginnings in Scotland to become one of Americas most famous philanthropists. From his first job at 13 in a cotton mill to his position as head of The Carnegie Steel Company, Carnegie remembered his path to success . . . — — Map (db m46793) HM
Because of the growing number of African-American school-age children, the New Albany School Board authorized a new elementary school for them June 1884. It opened here 1885. An 1869 Indiana law had mandated education of colored . . . — — Map (db m46620) HM
In honored memory of Floyd County men
who gave their lives for our country
1950 ---- The Korean Conflict ---- 1955
(Row One) - Edward C. Andres John H. Berryman William S. Blasdel Marvin L. Davis George E. Franklin Hugh . . . — — Map (db m46961) WM
Lucy, born a slave April 10, 1838, was owned by the Higgs family that by 1850 lived near Bolivar, Tennessee. She gained her freedom in 1862 by escaping to the 23rd Regiment, Indiana Volunteers camped nearby. She worked as a nurse . . . — — Map (db m46622) HM
Doctor – Educator – Builder – Financier.
Attica, Indiana Doctor, 1839–1845
Founder: Indiana Hospital for Insane.
Chicago Mercy Hospital: City of Evanston, Ill.
Northwestern University - U. of Denver.
Rush . . . — — Map (db m9947) HM
American Indians frequented this area, rich in natural resources. The ravine provided water from natural springs, marl for lime, and clay for bricks for nineteenth-century residents of Attica, platted 1825. City became owner of ravine 1906 when . . . — — Map (db m3311) HM
has been designated a
National Natural Landmark
This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of the environment — — Map (db m10093) HM
David J. Ratliff platted his farm land just North of State Street through which the new Chicago, Attica, & Southern railway passed. The town was named after the foreman of the construction crew. The town South of State Street was Fountainville until . . . — — Map (db m36101) HM
Salt discovered by Norbourn Thomas in 1829.
Capacity: 200 bushel of salt every 24 hours.
Depth 1,135 feet - Deepest in the United States at that time.
Artesian water of Medicinal value was discovered.
Became a Health Spa in 1921.
Water . . . — — Map (db m20482) HM
This grandstand built 1922 to seat 1, 000 and serve fans of new Brookville semi-pro team. Twenty box seats included to help pay for construction. Central platform included for community activities. Facility later used for youth . . . — — Map (db m44693) HM
This stone building, constructed in the 1840's, was owned and used by a number of families prominent in early history of Metamora. These included Martindale, Watkins, Allison and Wiley. The ground floor was a general merchandising establishment, . . . — — Map (db m44865) HM
In 1893 a public spirited group of businessmen and educators decided that Rochester, Indiana, was a strategic location for a Normal College. Those who spearheaded the promotion were Dr. W. S. Shafer, Prof. George Suman and Prof. W. H. Banta. The . . . — — Map (db m35490) HM
of the Fulton County sons
who gave their lives
in the World War
that America might live
Clarence Oren Benge John W. Black Earnest V. Burns Claud Everett . . . — — Map (db m35492) HM
( Center Panel )
“They have earned the undying esteem and respect of all thoughtful and freedom-loving Americans for their overriding devotion and sense of duty to our Nation.”
— President Ronald Reagan — . . . — — Map (db m48224) WM
(( Center Panel ))
Erected by the Service Mother
( Across Both Side Panels )
In Commemoration of the Valor and
Sacrifice of our Heroes in World Wars I and II
(( Left Panel ))
( Row One )
Charles T. Alvis . . . — — Map (db m48101) WM
who gave their lives in
the World War
( Row One )
Vaugh Beekman Melvin Bookins Chester Biggs Victor Baughman Fred Button Ashton Baldwin Harry Lee Craig William Cromwell (Col.) Russel Denton John . . . — — Map (db m44307) WM
(Front - Center Panel:)Engraving of Liberty Bell
Dedicated to the Veterans
of Greene County
who Served Honorably in the
Armed Forces of the United States
In Honored Memory of Those
Who Gave their Lives in . . . — — Map (db m21808) WM
In loving memory
David J. Dukes, M.D.
July 16, 1927 — June 15, 1991
Remembered for his love of music, church, sailing, family, and his fellow man.
The bell predates the Civil War and may have been in the First Methodist Church around . . . — — Map (db m9686) HM
Home of Governor William Hendricks 1822-1825 while he was Governor of Indiana. Front room was Governor's Headquarters. Hendricks was also Secretary of Constitutional Convention. House wa built 1817 by Davis Floyd, Territorial Auditor and Treasurer . . . — — Map (db m9711) HM
Organized under Louisville Presbytery, Synod of Kentucky, January 1819 by Rev. John Finley Crowe who later founded Hanover College. Early Church services were held in homes and in State Capitol prior to building first church 1826. Original church . . . — — Map (db m9713) HM
Free blacks and former slaves organized an African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Corydon by 1843. In 1851, church trustees purchased land in Corydon in order to build a church and for school purposes. In 1878, church . . . — — Map (db m9752) HM
This 2 ½ Ton artillery piece was captured by American forces on the Western Front in 1918.
Made by the Fried. Krupp Co. Essen, Germany in 1917. The largest arms manufacturer in the world at that time.
It could fire a 93 lb. high . . . — — Map (db m9679) HM
At May 1902 meeting newly-formed Library Board authorized lot purchase and tax levy to support a public library as required by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for funding. Designed by S. C. Dark of Indianapolis in Classical . . . — — Map (db m238) HM
Knightstown—first town platted on National Road after survey, 1827—named after noted surveyor Jonathan Knight.
Home of American Communications Network founded, in 1966, to preserve and perpetuate the “Ideals that built . . . — — Map (db m271) HM
In Memory of Col. John Ketcham
1782 - 1865
Fearless pioneer, Ranger, surveyor, public servant who dedicated this public square for seat of government of Jackson County, Ind. when Brownstown was founded April 8, 1816.
Time Capsule . . . — — Map (db m46756) HM
Walter Krueger, born in Prussia 1881,
raised in Madison, In
Attended Madison School System
Rose from a Private during the
Spanish-American War to Lt. General
Commanding the 6th Corps. of the Army in WW II.
Attended the Surrender . . . — — Map (db m22059) HM
Opened 1921 as Indiana's fourth state park for its natural beauty and recreation potential. Named Vinegar Mills State Park after stone-cutting mill in park. Renamed Muscatatuck State Park 1922. Stone shelters and stairways, . . . — — Map (db m45877) HM
Sept. 12, 1895 True North-South Meridian line established and stones set by Chas. Miles, County Surveyor. 1921 Courtyard fill buried stones until relocated by County Surveyor Bill McGrew July 12, 1981. New Markers donated and set by Our Heritage . . . — — Map (db m45811) HM
Education-minded Hopewell Presbyterian Church members opened a six-room coed academy to the east in 1855. John Covert led builders using whip-sawed timers. Only nails were bought. Academy literary societies flourished. Pre-Civil War, it . . . — — Map (db m66744) HM
The first bank, the Bank of Greenwood, was started in 1892 in a brick building that was built on this site by Grafton Johnson. It became the Greenwood Banking Co. In 1893 and was The First National Bank from 1906 to 1930, when the banking firm moved . . . — — Map (db m69316) HM
Laid out October 31, 1835, as Union Village, Willis Deer and Corbin Utterback, proprietors. Town originated from an early trading point. Providence P. O. Established on June 17, 1880. — — Map (db m66743) HM
Jacob Whetzels 1818 Trace from Laurel on Whitewater to White River, and the Madison Trail crossed near here. Here Whetzel made camp while cutting the Trace. In 1822 Daniel Loper built the first cabin in Clark Township here. — — Map (db m69355) HM
Two blocks South of this marker
on March 6, 1814, was born
Sarah Knox Taylor
Capt. And Mrs. Zachary Taylor
Miss Taylor married Lieut. Jefferson Davis
at Louisville, Kentucky on June 17, 1835
and died in West Feliciana . . . — — Map (db m23263) HM
Built here, 1858 - - operated until 1919.
Julia Marlowe made her debut in this famous
theater and such great actors as Edwin Booth,
Maude Adams, Joseph Jefferson, John Drew, and
The Barrymores played to large and appreciative
audiences. — — Map (db m23283) HM
Harrison became Governor of Indiana Territory 1800; he administered government of District of Louisiana 1804-1805. In Vincennes, he served as a contact during the expedition; surviving records document his support and his . . . — — Map (db m23251) HM
laid with public ceremony.
Aug. 15th A.D. 1878.
May 14th A.D. 1832.
Joshua T. Hobbs
First . . . — — Map (db m53924) HM
County formed by Indiana General Assembly and La Porte selected county seat 1832. Three courthouses built on this site: first 1833, second 1847-1848. Present courthouse constructed 1892-1894 of Lake Superior Red Sandstone; designed . . . — — Map (db m43373) HM
Meinrad Rumely (1823-1904), a German immigrant, founded a blacksmith shop here 1853, which grew into a dominant company through reorganizations and acquisitions. Rumely companies in La Porte benefited from available rail . . . — — Map (db m43362) HM
From 1851 to 1892 this was the location of the first railroad depot in Lawrence County. It was built by the New Albany and Salem R. R. And handled both passengers and freight. Starting in 1876 it was also the depot of the narrow gauge Bedford and . . . — — Map (db m48299) HM
Created by the Legislature on January 28, 1834, it was one of ten original branch banks. This institution served six counties and contributed greatly to Bedfords growth.
First President was Col. William McLane, followed by John Vestal. . . . — — Map (db m48302) HM
Governor Oliver P. Morton established a state arsenal to supply Indiana's troops with ammunition. First located adjacent to the State Capitol, the arsenal was later moved to the present site of Arsenal Technical High School. — — Map (db m55548) HM
Born in Wayne Co. Indiana August 4, 1823.
Died in Indianapolis November 1, 1877.
Aged 54 years, 2month and 25 days.
Admitted to the Bar in 1847.
Served as Governor of Indiana from January
16, 1861 to March 4, 1867. . . . — — Map (db m55573) HM
( Front )
This Memorial dedicated to those from Marshall County who gave their all in the service of their Country
- - - 1917 - - - World War I - - - 1918 - - -
( Column One )
William E. Albert ● Earnest A. Anderson . . . — — Map (db m36771) WM
With the faith and courage of
their forefathers who made
possible the freedom of these
The Boy Scouts of America
Dedicate this copy of the
Statue of Liberty as a Pledge
of everlasting Fidelity and . . . — — Map (db m44297) HM
Site of house reputed to be a stop on the "Underground Railroad." Reconstructed cabin, which was portion of house owned by John Allen Speed, now located on grounds of lane Mansion. Speed, active in abolitionist movement, was Mayor of Crawfordsville, . . . — — Map (db m3870) HM
In 1824, Presbyterians worshipped together for the first time in Montgomery County in an unfinished log cabin. Expressing their religious mission through education, Presbyterians founded Wabash College in 1832 and the county's first free preschool . . . — — Map (db m9126) HM
The first horse thief detective association organized in the U.S.A. was founded at this place June 1845 and incorporated February 1848.
* * * Incorporators * * *
James Meharry, William Cosseboon, Absolom Kirkpatrick, Jesse MeHarry, . . . — — Map (db m36199) HM
Albion - Noble County Seat
The Center - later named Albion was chosen the Seat of Noble County Indiana by the vote of its citizens in August 1846.
Since that time three courthouses have been located on this square.
The first which . . . — — Map (db m53950) HM
( Veterans Memorial )
( Front - Side )
In Honor of Ohio County Veterans
( Encircling - - Seals - - Branches of the United States Military )
( - United States Flag - )
November 11, 2000
( . . . — — Map (db m45980) WM
In Grateful Recognition
Patriotic Service Rendered by
The Men and Women of Owen County
During the World War
1917 - 1918
This tablet is erected
in memory of these men of . . . — — Map (db m19372) WM
to those who served
for God and Country
that the eternal verities,
upon which this Nation
is founded, might live
Charles Ray Chaney
Hobert Decker Robert Lee Delp
Wilbert R. Harper
Robert Dean Hutson . . . — — Map (db m3804) HM
The State Sanatorium Covered Bridge is a single-span Kingpost Truss Burr Arch structure with a span length of 154 feet. It was constructed in 1913 by Joseph A. Britton. The bridge is listed on both the National Register of Historic . . . — — Map (db m59773) HM
brother of Robert Fulton, inventor of the steamboat, is buried in Troy Cemetery near this spot. He was fatally injured while felling trees to build the family home on the site called Fulton Hill. The Fulton family owned extensive acreage in Perry . . . — — Map (db m47349) HM
In Memory of the
Men and Women
of Pike County
who gave their
lives for Democracy
Robert E. Kirby John F. Scherer Donald W. Sharp John White, Jr Wayne Leffler
World War . . . — — Map (db m23363) WM
[ Map of The Lincoln Highway across the United States is at top of marker with the following text under it: ]
The Lincoln Highway was the first “Coast to Coast” road covering 3,389 miles across the USA. It was the . . . — — Map (db m43404) HM
Named in honor of American Revolutionary War hero from Poland, Count Casimir Pulaski, general under George Washington. Pulaski (killed during the siege of Savannah in 1779) fought and gave his life for the cause of American independence. — — Map (db m42683) HM
When a tailor from Ireland came to Greencastle to continue his trade, he brought with him a family name that was to be prominent in the Greencastle business community for more than 125 years.
The craftsman was Frank Cannon, Sr. Frank arrived in . . . — — Map (db m56272) HM
In 1908, John and Anna Marie Eitel established John Eitel and Son Florist on 13 acres located in the Higgert Subdivision of Greencastle. In 1913 Johns son, Jacob Eitel opened a retail establishment on East Franklin Street. Relocating several times . . . — — Map (db m56271) HM
On January 27, 1870, Bettie Locke, Alice Allen, Hannah Fitch, and Bettie Tipton established first female Greek-letter college fraternity, Kappa Alpha Theta, at Indiana Asbury University. Fraternity fostered unity, promoted . . . — — Map (db m18832) HM
We seldom pause to think of the peoples who long ago (some say 13,000 B.C. - 8,000 B. C.) Moved back and forth across this land. We know nothing, about these “Old Ones” and their times, they left no traces visible to us. They are known . . . — — Map (db m56415) HM
Randolph County first in Nation with all Rural Consolidated High Schools
Lee L. Driver, School Superintendent
Lincoln (1st) McKinley
Stoney Creek . . . — — Map (db m31380) HM
One of the main Underground Railroad routes came from Madison to the Ohio River north to Holton, Otter Village, and east to Osgood. It then followed the rail line east to Laughery switch, then turned north to Napoleon. So many fugitive slaves . . . — — Map (db m45938) HM
General John Hunt Morgan, Confederate cavalry commander, occupied Versailles on Sunday afternoon, July 12. Having seized county treasury he moved North at 4:00 P.M. as Union forces began to close in upon him. — — Map (db m45874) HM
Lawyer and business leader - Republican presidential nominee, 1940 - the only native Hoosier to be nominated for the Presidency by a major political party - author of One World - grave and memorial in East Hill Cemetery, Rushville. — — Map (db m66844) HM
Lawyer and business leader - Republican presidential nominee, 1940 - the only native Hoosier to be nominated for the Presidency by a major political party - author of One World - grave and memorial in East Hill Cemetery, Rushville. — — Map (db m66843) HM
County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1820. First county seat located at Lexington; first courthouse built 1821. Several attempts made 1822-1870 to move county seat to more central location, creating animosity among . . . — — Map (db m22063) HM
( Engraved on Front ):
Dumont Post No. 18
1861 - - - 1865
We honor you for your
valiant service to our
Country, in time of War,
and in time of Peace.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Number of enlistments, 3261.
( . . . — — Map (db m32222) WM
James Lankford settled in the Rockport area in 1808, moving his wife and daughter into a cave under the bluff overlooking the Ohio River. Other settlers moved into the lowland that became downtown Rockport (originally dubbed Hanging Rock). By . . . — — Map (db m47615) HM
In October, 1844 Abraham Lincoln saddled up his horse and set out from Springfield, Illinois, for a trip back to his boyhood home in Spencer County, Indiana. It had been 14 years since he had left, and his term as a state legislator was over. He was . . . — — Map (db m47599) HM
In Honor of the Revolutionary Soldiers buried in Spencer County Indiana
(Row One) - - Thomas Blair David Chancellor Lodowich Davis Abraham Hornbeck James Jones Thomas Jones
(Row Two) - - Zachariah Briant William Kelly William . . . — — Map (db m47405) HM
Lincoln Highway Association, formed 1913, promoted and procured a route from New York to California, Dixie Highway Association, formed 1915, worked similarly from Canada to Florida routes. Highways intersected here and . . . — — Map (db m53874) HM
With the faith and courage of
their forefathers who made
possible the Freedom of these
The Boy Scouts of America
Dedicate this copy of the
Statue of Liberty as a pledge
of Fidelity and Loyalty . . . — — Map (db m53875) HM
( Front Plaque )
1861 –––– 1865
In grateful recognition of
the patriotism, services, and
sacrifices of our soldiers in
the war of the Union, we, the
people of St. Joseph County,
have erected this . . . — — Map (db m53896) WM
Built in 1867 - 1868 on site of original 1841 structure, of material native to Steuben County.
Architect: Freeborn Patterson
Superintendent of Construction: H. A. Wakefield
Construction Contractors: Holmes & Miles (LaPorte)
Cost: . . . — — Map (db m53930) HM
Numerous violent conflicts erupted in Sullivan County during the Civil War over differing war sentiments. On July 14, 1864, anti-war Democrat John Drake was fatally shot at a community picnic near here. The Union soldier who shot Drake was . . . — — Map (db m21763) HM
A War of 1812 military action occurred in September 1812 three miles west/southwest of here. While escorting supplies from Fort Knox near Vincennes to Fort Harrison at Terre Haute, Sergeant Nathan Fairbanks and approximately a dozen soldiers were . . . — — Map (db m21761) HM
The first brick courthouse on this site was built in 1816. The present courthouse was completed in 1864 by John Haley at a cost of $26,135.40. The annex was added in 2005. The courthouse was listed on the Indiana Register of Historic Sites and . . . — — Map (db m45995) HM
( South Side: )
Memorial to the World War Veterans of Tippecanoe Township 1917 — 1918
(Drinking Fountain) ( East Side )
Raymond D. Baker Alva Beaven Norman E. Beeker Samuel T. Beeker Dr. Frank . . . — — Map (db m36203) WM
Potatoes, tomatoes, pumpkins and greens,
sumptuous sweet-corn, all sorts of beans,
cantaloupe, honeydew, name any melon,
planted then ripened, soon ready for sellin.
What sort of hard-workin son-of-gun
could get things to market, get . . . — — Map (db m34229) HM
The first white man known to have resided in the
Tippecanoe Township was a Frenchman named
William Burnett who establish a trading post between
the mouth of Burnett's creek and the Tippecanoe River.
Burnett's daughter married John Davis who . . . — — Map (db m36235) HM
Neighborhood in late-Victorian "landscape garden suburb" style, designed by Cincinnati firm, Earnshaw and Punshon. Platted 1891, 1893. Houses are of a wide variety of architectural styles. Important for this suburban development was 1892 spur on . . . — — Map (db m34222) HM
( Upper Plaque: )
United * Spanish * War * Veterans
* 1898 * 1902 *
U. S. A.
( Lower Plaque: )
In memory of our comrades who on land and sea defended
the Nations Honor in . . . — — Map (db m34824) WM
Over 850 Potawatomi Indians camped here on the Wabash River in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, Sept. 13, 1838, on the forced removal from Indiana to Kansas. There were 106 sick so two doctors were called in, Drs. Ritchie & son. Sanford Cox later wrote . . . — — Map (db m33811) HM
Just after noon, June 1, 1791, from the elevation to the south, now known as “High Gap”, Brigadier General Charles Scott, his 33 officers, and 760 mounted Kentucky Militiamen rode toward the smoke of cooking fires rising . . . — — Map (db m34956) HM
First Bridge at this site a three span wooden toll bridge erected in 1865. Purchased by Tippecanoe County in 1871.
Second Bridge, a steel three span bridge erected in 1889. Rendered useless by the flood of March 18, 1913. Low . . . — — Map (db m35224) HM
In 1849, Jacob Dunham and Catherine Goodnight Dunham, originally from Virginia and Pennsylvania, purchased this land, formerly part of the Miami Indian Reserve, through a U. S. Land Grant. Their grandson, William Riley Dunham, was an Indiana . . . — — Map (db m37787) HM
(Front of Memorial)
In Appreciation of Everyone from this Community
who served during World War II
( Row One )
Billy Samson ▫ Albert Koma ▫ Jack Lewis ▫ John Hardie ▫ Jesse Allen ▫ Thomas . . . — — Map (db m58452) WM
Home of early business and civic leader who built his fortune on honesty, frugality and hard work. He used his wealth generously for the care of orphans, medicine for the sick and the education of youth. — — Map (db m58379) HM
Dedicated to these three Garfield High School athletes who took our community to A Level Above.
Terre Haute - parks & recreation
Gold Medal Sponsors
City of Terre Haute
A Friend of Union Hospital
First . . . — — Map (db m58420) HM
1919 - - - - - 1981
President, the American Federation of State,
County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME),
1964 - 1981
As president of AFSCME, Jerry Wurf was responsible for the unions growth from 240,000 to one million . . . — — Map (db m58579) HM
1830 - - - - - - 1930
Field Organizer, United Mine Workers of America
“The most dangerous woman in America”
A teacher and seamstress, Mary Harris “Mother” Jones began her crusade for workers . . . — — Map (db m58469) HM
( Front )
World War I
Killed in Action
from Vigo County ( Obverse )
Benjamin L. Acree Earl R. Bailey Edward Barron Alva R. Barton Carl E. Bell Earl A. Bright Fred L. Brooks Anselin G. Brophy Cyrus E. . . . — — Map (db m19791) WM
Dedicated to the
Valiant Men and
Who served their
Country and the
Cause of Freedom in World Wars I and II
They Gave their Lives only Yesterday
For a . . . — — Map (db m12244) HM
In memory of the men of Carroll County
who gave their lives serving their Country and
to all people who have served their Country.
+ + + KOREA + + +
Clyde M. Carter
William A. Day
Bobby R. Schirmer
George W. Willett . . . — — Map (db m22156) WM
Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, in a log cabin near Sinking Spring. Growing up in rural Kentucky, his character was shaped by the hard work and tragedy of frontier life. As the 16th president, his policies and politics saved . . . — — Map (db m60085) HM
Twenty-two Kentucky courthouses were burned during Civil War, nineteen in last fifteen months: twelve by Confederates, eight by guerrillas, two by Union accident.
See map on reverse side.
The courthouse at Hodgenville was . . . — — Map (db m79164) HM
Hattie Howell Howard, born about ten miles from here in 1886, grew up hearing local lore about Abraham Lincoln. After her brother James opened the Nancy Lincoln Inn next to Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historical Park, Hattie looked . . . — — Map (db m60009) HM
1053 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 853