Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

952 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 752
 
Wide view of the Fort Omaha Marker image, Touch for more information
By Paul Crumlish, July 8, 2010
Wide view of the Fort Omaha Marker
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Boom Town Historic District
Around 1889-1891 Fort Payne experienced a great industrial boom due to promotion by New England investors who speculated greatly on the area’s mineral deposits. During this period several highly ornate commercial and civic buildings, along with the . . . — Map (db m28027) HM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Confederate Monument
(front) 1861 1865 To the Confederate Soldiers. Some of whom sacrificed all, and all of whom sacrificed much. (left side) On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread, and glory guards with solemn . . . — Map (db m100368) WM
Alabama (DeKalb County), Fort Payne — Fort Payne’s Fort
The fort, consisting of a log house and large stockade, was built in 1838 by order of General Winfield Scott, commander of military forces responsible for the removal of Cherokee Indians. Soldiers occupying the fort were commanded by Captain . . . — Map (db m28030) HM
Alabama (Escambia County), Brewton — Bank of Brewton
Side A Recognized as “Alabama’s Oldest Bank,” the Bank of Brewton opened for business on Monday, January 7, 1899. Brewton, Alabama was a prosperous town in the late 1800s. A local resident, Charles Sowell, participated in the . . . — Map (db m39025) HM
Alabama (Tuscaloosa County), Tuscaloosa — Old Center Church
Built of massive pine logs in 1875, this church has been an active house of worship, and center of community, civic activities and education for more than a century. Restored on the original site in 1971. — Map (db m109186) HM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Mancos — 1892 Horse-Drawn Pull Grader
With thanks and appreciation to Pete and Yvonne Doerfer for loaning the following items: For display only - please do not climb on this equipment. 1892 Horse-Drawn Pull Grader J.D. Adams invented the first successful . . . — Map (db m122034) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Light at the End of the Tunnel
Surveyors took daily measurements to ensure that drillers, powdermen, muckers, and haulers stayed on course inching their way toward the valley. Crews at the other end plowed toward the canyon. Using points across the river, as well as in the . . . — Map (db m120245) HM
Colorado (Montrose County), Montrose — Preserving Our Heritage
Within a few years, one generation passes and another comes on the scene. If those who follow are to have any notion of what it was that went before, it must fall to those who possess a tie to the past to preserve what may be known. In that . . . — Map (db m120146) HM
Colorado (Saguache County), Saguache — George W. Hazard Memorial
Left plaque George W. Hazard (1868-1938) was the second child of James Glann and Mary L (Stoddard) Hazard, and the only child to survive childhood. His older brother Henry died at the age of ten, and his younger sister Cora died in . . . — Map (db m120162) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), The National Mall — Washington City Canal on the Tiber Creek
Beginning in 1815, a water transport canal was opened joining the Potomac river and the Anacostia river, then known as the Eastern Branch. The Washington Canal brought building supplies for construction of many buildings in the young city. The canal . . . — Map (db m105992) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Lovejoy — 031-19 — Georgia Militia at Lovejoy's Station
On Oct. 12, 1864, Maj. Gen. G.W. Smith, CSA (Street Commissioner, New York City, 1858-1861), assembled a force of militia at Lovejoy's Station (0.5 miles NE) to support Iverson's division of Wheeler's cavalry corps, which was picketing the roads . . . — Map (db m113866) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-2 — James Madison Gray
Gray, Georgia, was named for James Madison Gray, regarded as Jones County's most outstanding citizen. He clothed the Gray Infantry, Company F, 45th Georgia Regiment, C.S.A. and during the Civil War fed soldiers and homeless families from his own . . . — Map (db m81542) HM
Georgia (Upson County), Thomaston — 145-1 — Upson County
This County, created by Acts of the Legislature December 15 and 20, 1824, is named for Stephen Upson, a well known lawyer of Lexington, Ga. Lt. Gen. John B. Gordon, famed Confederate leader called “second to the great Lee” was born in . . . — Map (db m38253) HM
Georgia (White County), Sautee Nacoochee — 154-5 — Joe Brown Pikes
On Sautee Creek just north of here are remains of a dam constructed as part of a grist mill owned by Edwin P. Williams. During the War Between the States, to arm the Home Guard, Gov. Joseph E. Brown had made a great number of pikes, daggers on long . . . — Map (db m120350) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Varnell — Prater's Mill
Prater’s Mill Dates from 1855 and is in remarkably good shape thanks to the Prater’s Mill Foundation. Built by John Pitner, the grist mill and a nearby sawmill operated from a single water-powered turbine. Together the two mills carved a center of . . . — Map (db m120411) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Journal Gazette Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m54648) HM
Indiana (Dearborn County), Guilford — East Fork Stone Chapel
Erected 1821 by early settlers as a Methodist Church on land donated by John Ewbank. Services were held continuously for more than 125 years. Maintained by endowment fund. — Map (db m86236) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — The Red Mill – Reasor’s Service Station
The Red Mill, named for its distinctive red color, operated on the corner of Mill Street (now Chestnut Street) and Mulberry Street from 1834 until 1926. The mill, which was four stories high, required multi-levels for the elevators and shafts that . . . — Map (db m126305) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Palmyra — 5 — PalmyraSecond Night in Indiana — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
On the night of July 9, 1863, Morgan’s cavalrymen camped in the fields in this vicinity. Following an afternoon of looting in Corydon, they reached this point via two parallel roads by early evening. This site is approximately 25 miles from their . . . — Map (db m126278) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), Paris Crossing — 14 — Morgan Finds a Hoosier OasisJohn Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
Throughout the day of July 11, 1863, Morgan's Raiders streamed northward from Lexington, passing through Hinesville (now Blocher), Deputy, and Paris. As a diversionary tactic, a regiment of cavalry rode eastward on the Kent Road, creating a sense of . . . — Map (db m99771) HM
Indiana (Ripley County), Sunman — Saint John Lutheran ChurchOrganized - 1833
Possibly the second oldest worshipping Lutheran congregation in Indiana. Known as "Hubbles Church", it was mother church to many churches in this area. Original log church stood here, 1833-1855. Brick church stood west of this site, 1855-1905. Frame . . . — Map (db m100076) HM
Indiana (Ripley County), Versailles — Eleazer Wheelock Ripley
When Ripley County was formed in 1818, its name was inspired by the popular War of 1812 hero Eleazer Wheelock Ripley.

He was born April 15, 1782, in Hanover, New Hampshire. Ripley graduated from Dartmouth College (founded by his namesake . . . — Map (db m100055) HM

Indiana (Ripley County), Versailles — The Hanging Tree
On September 14, 1897, a vigilante committee stormed the Ripley County Jail, shot and hung five men on the branches of an elm tree just north of here at the edge of the cemetery. These desperadoes were members of a gang that had robbed and . . . — Map (db m100057) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Lexington — 12 — A Night in a HotelJohn Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
About dusk on July 10, 1863, Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his men rode into Lexington, then the county seat of Scott County. The raiders had ridden approximately 45 miles since camping the previous night in the Palmyra area. Lexington was . . . — Map (db m99756) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Lexington — Lexington First County Seat
Side 1 Scott County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1820; Lexington selected county seat. Attempts made 1823, 1839, 1840 to relocate county seat to more central location. Petition to County Commissioners 1870 was successful; town of . . . — Map (db m99751) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Scottsburg — Lake Iola Interurban Site
(Side 1) Indianapolis and Louisville Traction Company organized to build track between Seymour and Sellersburg as part of the interurban line which extended from Indianapolis to Louisville; track completed in 1907. First railway in the . . . — Map (db m99655) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Scottsburg — Marshfield Train Robbery
Side 1 One of the earliest U.S. train robberies occurred May 22, 1868 at nearby Marshfield, a refueling and watering stop. Engine and express car were detached from Jeffersonville, Madison, and Indianapolis Railroad train and abandoned near . . . — Map (db m99519) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Scottsburg — Pigeon Roost
(Side 1) Pigeon Roost, settled 1809 in Clark County, was attacked on September 3, 1812. Over twenty settlers and an unknown number of Indians were killed. Clark County militia unsuccessfully pursued the remaining Indians. That same month . . . — Map (db m99656) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Scottsburg — Scott County's Carnegie Library
Side A Scott County Board of Commissioners appointed a library board 1917 in response to citizen petitions for a public library. Library board sought Carnegie grant for funding assistance. locally $7,500 was raised; Carnegie grant of $12,500 . . . — Map (db m99459) HM
Indiana (Scott County), Vienna — "Lightning" Ellsworth Strikes Again
In the late afternoon of July 10, 1863, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan's men reached Vienna and seized the Jeffersonville Railroad Station from the agent and telegraph operator. Morgan's telegraph specialist, Lieutenant George "Lightning" . . . — Map (db m99515) HM
Kentucky (Bath County), Owingsville — 1528 — Capt. John “Jack” Jouett, Jr.
This famous Revolutionary War hero, who rode 40 mi. to warn Jefferson, Patrick Henry and other legislators of British approach, June 3, 1781, is buried in Bath Co. Jack Jouett of Va. galloped all night from Cuckoo Tavern to Monticello to . . . — Map (db m26285) HM
Kentucky (Bath County), Owingsville — 862 — Gen. Hood Birthplace
John Bell Hood, 1831-79, graduate of West Point, 1853. Eight years Indian campaigns. Resigned, 1861, and joined CSA as colonel, heading Texas Brigade. Gained distinction at Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, 1862, and at Gettysburg, Chickamauga, 1863. . . . — Map (db m110149) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Danville — 1091 — "Uncle" Charlie Moran
Colorful college football coach and National Baseball League umpire. Coached Praying Colonels of Centre College into national football spotlight, 1916-23. See other side. First coached, 1898-99, at Bethel College, Russellville, Ky. Then held four . . . — Map (db m121575) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Danville — Dr. Ephraim McDowell House
McDowell House And Apothecary Shop The pioneering spirit of Dr. Ephraim McDowell-father of abdominal surgery and most prominent surgeon west of the Alleghenies in the early 19th century-is celebrated today at McDowell House. On Christmas . . . — Map (db m71041) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Danville — 2005 — Jacobs Hall / John A. Jacobs, Sr. (1806-69)
Kentucky School for the Deaf first opened 1823 in Danville, at 4th and Main Sts. In 1826, it moved to this campus. Jacobs Hall is oldest surviving building, constructed 1855-57, of Italianate design by architect Thomas Lewinski. Its interior is . . . — Map (db m121561) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Danville — 2386 — Willis Russell House / Craddock and Tardiveau
Willis Russell, a well-educated & emancipated slave of Rev. War captain Robert Craddock, relocated from Warren Co., Ky. to Danville around April 1838. He taught black children in this pre-1795 log home that he inherited when Capt. Craddock died in . . . — Map (db m121564) HM
Kentucky (Bullitt County), Shepherdsville — 2159 — Alma Wallace Lesch1917-1999
Side A A pioneer of the contemporary crafts movement, Lesch was an internationally exhibited textile teacher and artist, noted for work with fabric and found objects. Wrote influential book, Vegetable Dyeing, in 1970. Named Master Craftsman . . . — Map (db m122017) HM
Kentucky (Cumberland County), Burkesville — Burkesville FerryGreat Raid — July 1-2, 1863
John Hunt Morgan’s Great Raid into Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio began in Cumberland County, Kentucky. The raid lasted 25 days and covered a thousand miles, making it the longest Confederate raid of the Civil War. Morgan commanded 2,460 cavalrymen . . . — Map (db m98884) HM
Kentucky (Cumberland County), Burkesville — 959 — Cumberland County
Established 1798, taken out of Green County. Later, between 1800 and 1860, parts of Wayne, Monroe, Russell, Clinton, Metcalfe were taken from its original territory. First known white men here, 1769. Daniel Boone explored area, 1771. Burkesville, . . . — Map (db m98889) HM
Kentucky (Cumberland County), Burkesville — 885 — Lincoln's Father Here
Thomas Lincoln made claim for land in Cumberland County in May, 1801. In Jan., 1802 and again in 1804 he was appointed constable. On Sept. 5, 1802, he was commissioned ensign in Cornstalk Militia of Cumberland County. Returned to Washington County. . . . — Map (db m98887) HM
Kentucky (Cumberland County), Burkesville — 515 — Morgan On To Ohio
July 2, 1863, CSA Gen. John Hunt Morgan crossed Cumberland River near here, brushing aside Union patrols on north bank. Morgan placed some troops in ambush one mile from here and drove Union forces back to camp at Marrowbone. Morgan crossed Kentucky . . . — Map (db m98891) HM
Kentucky (Cumberland County), Burkesville — Smith PharmacyOldest Pharmacy in the State of Kentucky
It all began in 1814 when three brothers, John, Philip, and Reuben Alexander opened a store called the "J.P.R. Store." Throughout the 19th century this store, not only sold drugs for man and animal, but sold everything from planks to cuff buttons. . . . — Map (db m98885) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Civil War Fort
Union Army General William T. Sherman built a fort on top of the hill overlooking West Point in 1861 to protect the supply base here. The trenches remain intact to this date. It was named for Fort Duffield, in honor of the father of the post . . . — Map (db m122086) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Pioneer Cemetery
200 feet east of here (across railroad tracks) is the James Young Family cemetery. The first known burial took place in the year 1800. Also buried here is a pioneer river man, known only to God. — Map (db m122122) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Replica of Earthen Wall Cannon Emplacement
This is a scaled down replica of the construction and reinforcement wall of Civil War fortifications much like the actual walls of Fort Duffield would have looked. Fort Duffield is located 300 feet about this site and accessible by a quarter mile . . . — Map (db m126373) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Sears and Roebuck
This home, built in 1899, was purchased pre-cut from a Sears and Roebuck catalog. A local carpenter assembled it. It was known as the "Three-I" pattern due to its popularity in the states of Indiana, Illinois and Iowa. — Map (db m122115) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — Sherman's Headquarters
Troops under the command of General William Sherman had their headquarters in this house in 1861. Built in 1845, it was known as the Judge Fisher home. — Map (db m122099) HM
Kentucky (Hardin County), West Point — 36 — The Great Raid and West PointThe Great Raid — July 6, 1863
Morgan, approaching the Ohio River, sent Captains Samuel Taylor and Henry Clay Meriweather and 130 men ahead to Brandenburg to secure boats for the crossing. It is unclear when Morgan’s men entered the town of West Point. A Louisville newspaper . . . — Map (db m122048) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Crab Orchard — 982 — Sportsman's Hill / Whitley House - 1785
Sportsman Hill Site of one of the earliest circular racetracks. Crowd gathered within the half-mile track, able to see entire race. Built about 1780 by Col. Wm. Whitley, owner of estate. A fervent patriot, he built track to contrast with the . . . — Map (db m103731) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Crab Orchard — Where Racing Turned Around
“The Sport of Kings”, or horse racing, has a long tradition within the culture of the British Crown dating back to 1174, when Henry II held the first recorded royal race at Smithfield. James I had a palace and track at Newmarket where he . . . — Map (db m105503) HM
Kentucky (Lincoln County), Stanford — 2268 — Boneyville
One of several “free towns” in Lincoln Co. Created in 1867 from Hugh Hays’ estate and named for founder, Napoleon Bonaparte Hays (1838-1907). “Boney” earned freedom in 1864 enlisting at Camp Nelson as Pvt., Co. C., 12th Regt. . . . — Map (db m120132) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — 600 — Battle at Lebanon
Morgan's 2,400 Raiders, on way to Ohio, met by Col. C.S. Hanson's 380 Union men here, July 5, 1863. During battle Hanson barricaded in railroad depot. Raiders fired buildings but rain prevented wide destruction. After seven hours battle, Union . . . — Map (db m99390) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — Death of Tom MorganThe Great Raid — July 5, 1863
During the battle of Lebanon Tom Morgan, 19-year-old brother of Gen. John Hunt Morgan, was killed near this house, "Sunnyside," the home of Presbyterian minister T.H .Cleland. During the fighting John Hunt continuously sent the younger Morgan to the . . . — Map (db m99385) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church on Water Street in Lebanon, KY was built in the same year 1857. The construction of this church was started in 1854. This was known as the 5th church building. On July 5th, 1863, this church looked like the photo of it . . . — Map (db m99404) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — Morgan's HeadquartersFirst Kentucky Raid — July 11, 1862
In July 1862, during his first raid into Kentucky, John Hunt Morgan fought two skirmishes in Marion County. The first took place at the covered bridge just south of New Market. The Union Home Guard, anticipating Morgan's arrival, took the planking . . . — Map (db m99426) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — The Battle of LebanonThe Great Raid — July 5, 1863
Morgan’s third Kentucky raid had not gone well from the beginning. The Battle at Tebbs Bend on July 4 cost him 35 men killed and about 40 wounded. From Tebbs Bend, Morgan pushed north, arriving in Lebanon about 7 o’clock on the morning of July 5, . . . — Map (db m99388) HM
Kentucky (Marion County), Lebanon — The Maxwell House was Set on Fire by Morgan's Troops July 5th, 1863
Three generations of gracious living have marked the old Howard place on North Spalding Avenue which changed hands recently after the death of Mrs. Emogene Howard Beckman, last of her family to occupy it. The house was built sometime before the . . . — Map (db m99408) HM
Kentucky (Meade County), Brandenburg — 2528 — Big Joe Logsdon
Side 1 A guide to George Washington on excursion west of the Alleghenies and Kentucky pioneer. During the 1790s a sharp clash occurred on this site. Big Joe, acting as a spy and commanding other frontiersmen, helped repel an Indian raid. . . . — Map (db m123340) HM
Kentucky (Meade County), Brandenburg — Meade County Monument
Meade County 1823 Brandenburg 1825 Brandenburg Ferry operated 1804 – 1966 January 1937 Major flood occurred April 3, 1974 Series of tornadoes devastated Brandenburg area Gen. John Hunt Morgan and apprx 3,000 . . . — Map (db m123404) HM
Kentucky (Meade County), Brandenburg — 602 — Morgan's Headquarters
This house, built 1832, owned in 1863 by Col. Robert Buckner, War of 1812 veteran, was headquarters, July 7-8, of CSA General J.H. Morgan. Raiders crossing river on captured steamers interrupted as US gunboat ELK arrived. They exchanged fire and . . . — Map (db m123408) HM
Kentucky (Mercer County), Burgin — 73 — John Gordon's Station
This is the site of John and Elizabeth Grayson Gordon's second station, with the first station becoming the property of Stephen Trigg. John Gordon was killed at the Battle of Blue Licks, and his land was inherited by his son Ambrose Gordon. The site . . . — Map (db m105456) HM
Kentucky (Rockcastle County), Livingston — 1643 — PFC David M. Smith / Medal of Honor Winner
PFC David M. Smith Homesite of this Congressional Medal of Honor winner, born in Livingston, Ky., Nov. 10, 1926. Church built here, 1974. Smith served with the U.S. Army, Co. E, 9th Inf. Regt., 2d Inf. Div., during Korean Conflict. The honor . . . — Map (db m103713) HM
Kentucky (Rowan County), Farmers — An Early Boom TownFarmers – An Early Industrial Center
Although Morehead is the county seat of Rowan County, other settlements were larger and more progressive in Rowan’s early history. Farmers was the first settlement in Rowan. It quickly grew into a booming town because of its industry.

Located . . . — Map (db m110199) HM

Kentucky (Rowan County), Farmers — 567 — Morgan Raiders' Camp
On last tragic raid, the fourth into Kentucky, Morgan's Raiders took Mt. Sterling, then lost it, took Lexington and June 11, 1864 took Cynthiana. Next day USA men under Brig. General S. G. Burbridge dispersed raiders. Morgan then retreated through . . . — Map (db m110197) HM
Kentucky (Rowan County), Morehead — Capt. William E. Barber, USMCRecipient, Medal of Honor
A native of nearby Morgan County, Capt. Barber received our nation's highest decoration for bravery for heroically leading his Marine rifle company in a desperate five-day defense of a frozen mountain pass vital to the 1st Marine Division's breakout . . . — Map (db m120060) HM WM
Kentucky (Rowan County), Morehead — University Breckinridge School1929 - 1982
Founded as a laboratory school for teacher training, served the community well by providing a quality education for children grades kindergarten through twelve — Map (db m120062) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — "No Day to Surrender"Saturday Morning, July 4, 1863
The main Federal defensive position was located 125 yards to your left. Col. Orlando H. Moore, with inexperienced 25th Michigan troops and outnumbered three or more to one, chose to defend this narrow neck of land. Steep bluffs directly above Green . . . — Map (db m99070) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Camp Site25th Michigan Infantry, USA
An experience Indian fighter in the West, Moore ordered his men to build a fort across the road on the southern approach. rebel scouts could hear the sound of axes and falling trees on the night of July 3. "I did not move my command from where it . . . — Map (db m99225) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Campbell Memorial
In memory of Andrew Campbell Operated mill on this site in 1809. Made plat of first 85 lots and town square. Sold lots beginning in 1814. Died 1819. James Campbell Made plat of eastern section of town and sold lots in 1829. Died . . . — Map (db m99302) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — 706 — Confederate Raids
Gen. John Hunt Morgan's cavalry, returning from second Kentucky raid, here, Dec. 31, 1862. Took supplies. Went on to Tenn. On raid Union's rail supply line wrecked and $2,000,000 property destroyed. Morgan through here again after three hour . . . — Map (db m99240) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Federal Stockade1862 - 1865 — Federal Stockade Burned January 1, 1863 — Morgan's Christmas Raid
Federal Stockade Undefended—January 1, 1863 About 3,900 Confederates under John Hunt Morgan had been on an extensive raid into Kentucky in December and were returning to Tennessee after their highly successful Christmas Raid. They . . . — Map (db m99072) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — L1515C — Michigan at Tebbs Bend
Side 1 During the first week of July 1863, while the people of the North and the South focused their attention on Gettysburg and Vicksburg, five Michigan companies defended the bridge across the Green River here at Tebbs Bend. They were . . . — Map (db m99030) HM
Kentucky (Taylor County), Campbellsville — Raid on the Hiestand-Chandler House
Great Raid July 4, 1863 Araminta Hiestand Chandler and her husband, Joseph Harrison Chandler, were living in this house, located a mile from Campbellsville on the Old Greensburg Road, during the Civil War. Joseph H. Chandler was . . . — Map (db m99301) HM
Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — Cunningham-Haydon House
This home was built by J.A. Seay circa 1882 when Andrew Cunningham lived here with his wife Elizabeth Bullock. Mr. Cunningham operated the dry goods store in Springfield.

The house was purchased in 1932, from the Springfield State Bank, by . . . — Map (db m121749) HM

Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — 1618 — Felix Grundy (1777 - 1840)
Grundy gained prominence in Ky. as a celebrated criminal lawyer and political leader. He practiced law on Main St., Springfield, took part in 2nd Constitutional Conv., served Washington County in legislature (1800-02); Nelson Co. (18004-06). Became . . . — Map (db m99453) HM
Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — In Honor of Louis SansburyHometown Hero
Louis Sansbury (1806-1861), a black slave, owned by George Sansbury, was left with keys to Sansbury’s hotel to watch over his business. In 1833, left virtually alone with the sick and dying, Sansbury fed and treated the many cholera sufferers . . . — Map (db m121747) HM
Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — 1581 — Mt. Zion Covered Bridge
The covered bridge over Little Beech Fork is 211 feet long and 16 feet wide. It utilizes the Burr truss design and is one of the longest multi-spans in Ky. The contractors were H. I. and William F. Barnes of Mount Washington. Original cost of . . . — Map (db m121604) HM
Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — War Memorial
World War I 1914-1918

Alvin L. Bottom Roy Cocanougher James Ellery Robert Sterling Ensor George Lloyd Haydon, Jr. John Peters James Lloyd Parrott Stephen Ormsby Parrott, Jr. Sammy Reed John Manning Simms John Spaulding William N. . . . — Map (db m121743) WM

Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — Washington CountyMorgan's First Raid — July 12-13, 1862
Word of Morgan's raid on Lebanon on July 12 quickly reached Springfield, a tiny village of 500 residents. After hearing news of the raid, F.L. Davison, prominent local planter and businessman, sent Springfield resident John Meeks to the neighboring . . . — Map (db m99458) HM
Kentucky (Washington County), Springfield — You are in The Holy Land!
Central Kentucky witnessed an influx of religions settling here after 1785.

The Presbyterians settled here in 1785 with Terah Templin being the first ordained minister in Kentucky. Located here is the Springfield Presbyterian Church, founded . . . — Map (db m121748) HM

Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2102 — Clyde V. and Patricia Bennett Building
This building was constructed in 1906 at a cost of $20,000 and known as the Reuben D. Hill Building. Name was changed to the Gray Brick Buidling when it was purchased, along with two other buildings, by the Williamsburg Institute in 1907 from . . . — Map (db m119994) HM
Kentucky (Whitley County), Williamsburg — 2101 — Gillespie Hall
Originally Johnson Hall, it was renamed Gillespie Hall in 1995. Built in 1893 and dedicated on February 11, 1894, in memory of William James Johnson, college's first president. Girls occupied the hall for first year; boys occupied the hall from . . . — Map (db m120057) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Natchitoches — Colonial Gateway Corral
First sighted by St. Denis and Bienville in 1700, this hill was later St. Denis' vacherie. Here three paths met. From the Spanish West came cattle and horses; eastward were his home and the route of flatboats to New Orleans. A road wound North to . . . — Map (db m66241) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Natchitoches — El Camino RealKing's Highway — Old San Antonio Trace
Traveled by St. Denis in 1714 from Natchitoches to the Rio Grande Natchitoches, the oldest town in La., was established in 1714 — Map (db m69237) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Natchitoches — The American Transition
President Thomas Jefferson negotiated the Louisiana Purchase with French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in 1803. The Louisiana Purchase was the largest peacetime land acquisition in U.S. history, containing territory that eventually comprised 15 states. . . . — Map (db m106110) HM
Louisiana (Natchitoches Parish), Robeline — El Camino RealKings Highway — Old San Antonio Road
Historical park ¼ mile from here. Site of Los Adaes, once capital of Spanish Texas. Erected by the State of Louisiana and the Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m106137) HM
Louisiana (Sabine Parish), Many — El Camino RealKings Highway — Old San Antonio Road
Historical park 125 yards from here. With … and remaining building of Old Fort Jesup. Erected by the State of Louisiana and the Daughters of the American Revolution. — Map (db m106139) HM
Louisiana (Sabine Parish), Many — Fort Jesup
Established in 1822 under Gen. Zachary Taylor as a major American fort on the southwestern frontier. It later became known as the Cradle of the Mexican War. — Map (db m106138) HM
Louisiana (Sabine Parish), Many — The History of Toledo Bend
As a result of rapid industrial development and the changing demands of an evolving economy during the late 1940s, the people of the Sabine River area, both in Texas and Louisiana, realized a need to provide for the future of the area. In 1949, the . . . — Map (db m106522) HM
Louisiana (Saint Bernard Parish), Chalmette — Batteries Seven and EightJean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
When the British attacked the American rampart during their reconnaisance in force on December 28, they almost succeeded in outflanking the rampart and capturing the American positions at this end of the line. The Americans responded by extending . . . — Map (db m97179) HM
Louisiana (Saint Bernard Parish), Chalmette — Battery FourJean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
Battery 4 boasted the rampart's largest gun, a 32-pound naval cannon manned by sailors from the USS Carolina, which had been sunk by British fire on December 27, 1814. During the Battle of New Orleans, the big gun tore gaping holes in the ranks of . . . — Map (db m97183) HM
Louisiana (Saint Bernard Parish), Chalmette — Chalmette National Cemetery
Chalmette National Cemetery was established in 1864 as a burial place for Union soldiers who died in the gulf area during the Civil War. It also served as the site for reburials of soldiers from battlefield cemeteries in the region. This plot of . . . — Map (db m97175) HM
Louisiana (Saint Bernard Parish), Chalmette — The West Bank AssaultJean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
On December 25, 1814, American Major General Andrew Jackson began fortifying the Mississippi River's west bank. By January 8 it was defended by nearly a thousand Kentucky and Louisiana militiamen and several artillery batteries, some armed with . . . — Map (db m97132) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Sgt. Abe Allen — 1896-1941
Only soldier from Louisiana to serve under General John J. Pershing's "One Hundred Heroes" in World War I, Company B, 28th Infantry. Received Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal. — Map (db m86665) HM
Mississippi (Adams County), Natchez — Site of Cokesbury ChapelEarliest Methodist Church in Natchez
Erected 1807. Launer Blackman, Elder. Caleb W. Cloud Pastor. Trustees: Launer Blackman, Newit Vick, Reuben Gibson, W. Foster, Phillip Gorral, David Lattimore. This tablet placed 1935 by Jubilee Circle of W.M.S Jefferson St. Ch. — Map (db m97262) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Confederate Memorial ChapelGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The building was donated to the State of Mississippi by the Rodney Foundation. It was moved to this site in 1983, and has been restored to its original condition. It will be used as a non-denominational chapel by religious and other groups approved . . . — Map (db m104099) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Town of Grand GulfGrand Gulf Historic Tour
The town of Grand Gulf began in the 18th century as a small British settlement. By 1828 it had grown to a village of three stores, one tavern, and several houses. There was a stage line to Port Gibson and steamboats stopped at its wharves. . . . — Map (db m105720) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Hermanville — Rocky Springs
The once active spring provided a natural stopping place for travelers on the Natchez Trace and helped establish and sustain the rural community of Rocky Springs. The 25 square mile town, which included a post rider relay station prospered for . . . — Map (db m97265) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Windsor Ruins
Smith Coffee Daniell II, a successful cotton planter, completed construction of Windsor in 1861. Daniell owned 21,000 acres of plantation land in Louisiana and Mississippi. Ironically, he died in April 1861, only weeks after completing his mansion. . . . — Map (db m70541) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Belhaven Historic District
The Belhaven neighborhood developed north of the city as Jackson's first suburb. Composed of more than 1,300 historic structures dating from as early as 1904, Belhaven is Mississippi's largest historic district. The neighborhood includes a wide . . . — Map (db m119596) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Eudora Welty House
Eudora Welty (1909-2001), one of the most acclaimed writers of the twentieth century, lived in this house for seventy six years. This house was built by Welty's parents, Christian and Chestina Welty, in 1925. Eudora Welty wrote all of her major . . . — Map (db m91895) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church(Originally, First Methodist)
This edifice ~ a memorial to Bishop Charles Betts Galloway ~ houses descendants of Jackson's first Christian congregation, worshipping on this site since 1839. — Map (db m105560) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Millsaps College
Chartered Feb. 21, 1890 by Miss. Methodists. Named for & largely endowed by Maj. R.W. Millsaps. Bishop C.B. Galloway first president of Board; Bishop W.B. Murrah first president of college. — Map (db m51205) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Noel House
On this site was the house of Andrew J. and Susie Davis Noel, built 1924. Active in the NAACP, the Noels hosted Freedom Riders here in 1960. In 1948, Gladys Noel Bates filed the first lawsuit in the state seeking equal pay for black public school . . . — Map (db m51173) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
This church, organized in 1883, began as a Sunday School mission to blacks under the episcopate of Bishop Hugh M. Thompson. The first instructor was a Mr. Williams, an African American. The Rev. Richard T. Middleton became the first priest in 1904. . . . — Map (db m51176) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Lorman — Lorman
The town of Lorman was first settled in the early 1800s and known by a variety of names, including Lee, Lick, and Hays. In 1884, the town was formally platted when the Louisiana, New Orleans, and Texas Railroad purchased land from Mrs. Charlotte . . . — Map (db m105737) HM
Mississippi (Madison County), Canton — Madison County Courthouse
This Greek Revival courthouse has served as Madison County's seat of government since its construction, 1854–58. Canton, incorporated in 1836, is the fourth county seat of Madison Co., which was created in 1828. — Map (db m755) HM
Mississippi (Madison County), Canton — 21 — Madison County Movement — Mississippi Freedom Trail
(front) CORE Activists David Dennis, Matheo Suarez, and George Raymond opened a Madison County office in 1963 to register black voters, the majority in white~controlled Canton. Co~directors Raymond and Suarez were joined by Annie Devine and . . . — Map (db m105553) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Star — 30 — Faith Hill
(side 1) From the time of her childhood here in Star, Faith Hill demonstrated a zest for music and performing that took her to Nashville while still a teenager, and to stardom from the release of her first record in 1993. She became a . . . — Map (db m91738) HM
Mississippi (Stone County), Wiggins — Jay Hanna "Dizzy" Dean1910~1974
Dizzy Dean, a baseball legend, lived in Bond ~ a small community five miles north of Wiggins. He lived there with his wife Pat, who had grown up in the area. He was often seen conducting business and visiting friends on the streets of Wiggins, a . . . — Map (db m109218) HM
Mississippi (Stone County), Wiggins — Professor W.P. Locker
Born a slave on July 19, 1854, in North Carolina, Professor W.P. Locker became a highly respected educator in Stone County in the first quarter of the 20th century. In 1959, the Stone County Training School, built in 1955, was named in his honor. . . . — Map (db m109198) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — 64 — 61 Highway
Side 1: The rise of the automobile and the development of a national highway system in the 1920's and '30s coincided with the initial boom of blues, jazz, and spiritual recordings by African American artists. Songs in the African American . . . — Map (db m97080) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Independence — Price's Great Missouri RaidThe Battle of the Little Blue River — "They fought us on the blue grass ridges..." Pvt. James H. Campbell, 14th Mo. Confederate Cavalry
By 11 a.m. on Oct. 20, 1864, Col. Thomas Moonlight had made his first movement after the Little Blue crossing. Maj. Gen. James Blunt received permission from Maj. Gen. Samuel Curtis to engage the Confederate and made a rapid movement to this . . . — Map (db m90430) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Independence — Salem Cemetery Association
Salem Cemetery Association, an independent community association separate from the New Salem Baptist Church, was formed and incorporated December 4, 1917, by a group of concerned lot owners interested in the perpetuation, maintenance and improvement . . . — Map (db m90345) HM
Missouri (Lafayette County), Dover — Tabo CreekThe Santa Fe Trail
A ferry built by Adam Lightner in 1821 may have carried William Becknell's first trade expedition to Santa Fe in that year. — Map (db m100375) HM
Missouri (Lafayette County), Lexington — Christ Church
Established on Whitsunday 1844 by The Rt. Rev'd David Jackson Kemper, First Missionary Bishop of the The Episcopal Church, and by The Rev'd St. Michael Fackler, First Rector of Christ Church. This Gothic-Revival style building, erected in 1848 of . . . — Map (db m90447) HM
Missouri (Lafayette County), Lexington — The Steamboat Saluda DisasterApril 9, 1852
In early April 1852 the aging side-wheeler steamboat Saluda churned up the Missouri River from St. Louis, bound for Kanesville (Council Bluffs), Iowa. Unable to push past the Lexington Bend due to ice floes and strong currents, it docked at . . . — Map (db m90448) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness
Florence was born after the 1854 Kansas-Nebraska Act opened lands west of the Missouri River to speculators and settlers. Build on the grounds of Winter Quarters, founder James C. Mitchell named the new town after his granddaughter, Florence . . . — Map (db m90576) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — A Meeting House for the Saints
Forced to leave their homes along the Mississippi, the Mormons began arriving in the Missouri River Valley in June of 1846. By September, nearly 4,000 refugees had begun to settle in for the winter - laying out blocks and streets, building cabins . . . — Map (db m90578) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Mormon Pioneer Trail
Fleeing heated religious and political hostility and persecution, many members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (widely known as Mormons) abruptly fled their homes in Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846. Unprepared for the cold of . . . — Map (db m90577) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Florence — The Road to Zion
From the late 1840s through the 1860s, an exodus of more than 70,000 Mormons passed by here on their way to their "New Zion" in Utah. Starting from Nauvoo, Illinois in February 1846, the first group of at least 13,000 Mormons crossed into Iowa to . . . — Map (db m90464) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 75 — Fort Omaha
A military post was first established here in 1868 and named Sherman Barracks after the famous Civil War general, William Tecumseh Sherman. The post's name was soon changed to Omaha Barracks and, in 1878, to Fort Omaha. In 1879, General George . . . — Map (db m33057) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Tijeras — Tijeras Canyon
The pass between the Sandia and Manzano Mountains has been a natural route of travel between eastern New Mexico and the Rio Grande Valley since pre-historic times. Known as Cañon de Carnué in the spanish colonial period it takes it's present name . . . — Map (db m72732) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Nageezi — Ancient Astronomers
Atop Fajada Butte Chacoan skywatchers commemorated the movement of the sun and the seasons. Sunlight passed between three boulder slabs onto a spiral petroglyph to mark the sun's position on the summer solstice, winter solstice, and the equinoxes. . . . — Map (db m120182) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — Fredonia #1
Near here on April 16, 1868, farmers organized the first grange to champion their needs in the healing of the nation recovering from civil war. — Map (db m96226) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Fredonia — The Pioneer CemeteryTown of Pomfret
This site was given by Hezekiah Barker for a cemetery and the first burial here was in 1807. There are 15 known revolutionary soldiers and many other earlier settlers of Pomfret resting here in this Pioneer Cemetery.

This marker placed by the . . . — Map (db m96228) HM

New York (Chautauqua County), Sheridan — Site of Sheridan Depot of the New York & Erie Railroad
Piermont-on-the-Hudson to Dunkirk Line Completed - May 15, 1851

"Word's Longest Trunk Line" Railroad 483-mile Route — Map (db m96245) HM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Niagara River Portage and the Old Stone Chimney
In 1915, Peter A. Porter calls the Old Stone Chimney, "the oldest masonry in the State of New York, west of Albany," with the exception of the French Castle at Old Fort Niagara.

The Portage Rivers are great for easily moving people and . . . — Map (db m96612) HM

New York (Oneida County), Boonville — Pratt HouseBuilt in 1875
by architect A.J. Lanthrop for the Clark Dodge family. Sold in 1894 to the Charles Walter Pratt family. — Map (db m96256) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Charles R. Bishop Childhood Home
Charles R. Bishop (1822-1915) considered one of Hawaii's greatest benefactors. Married Princess Bernice Pauahi. Buried Hawaiian Royal Tomb. — Map (db m97068) HM
North Carolina (Cherokee County), Murphy — Murphy North Carolina Rail
Beginning in 1873, the state of North Carolina began construction of a rail line to carry passengers and freight from Asheville westward. The line took many years to construct, cutting across the mountains, through tunnels and along the steep grades . . . — Map (db m120344) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cramerton — O 76 — Stuart W. Cramer1868-1940
Engineer and inventor. Pioneered advances in textile mill air conditioning. Home 3 mi. SW. — Map (db m108711) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 28-9 — Abraham Lincoln's 1859 Hamilton Speech
Abraham Lincoln spoke from the rear of a Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad passenger train on Saturday September 17, 1859, to about 1000 people at South Fourth and Ludlow streets (about 785 feet south of here). Lincoln, elected president of the . . . — Map (db m122279) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Cosmopolitan No. 4
110 yards from the back of this marker on the present southeast corner of 4th and Butler Streets stood the Cosmopolitan Arms Company, founded by Edward Gwyn and Abner C. Campbell, where carbines for the Union Army were manufactured during the Civil . . . — Map (db m122283) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Airy ForestListed on the National Register of Historic Places April 13, 2010
Property for Mt. Airy Forest was first acquired in 1911. Its listing by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, shows the period of significance as 1911-1959 and notes the following: * One of the nation's first city reforestation . . . — Map (db m85300) HM
Ohio (Lorain County), Avon — 6-47 — Norton S. Townshend, M.D.
(1815-1895) A progressive farmer, physician, and legislator, Norton S. Townshend lived in Avon from 1830 until his death. His introduction of field drainage tile significantly increased the productivity of Avon farmland. A well-educated country . . . — Map (db m5529) HM
Ohio (Wayne County), West Salem — 1-85 — West Salem City Hall
The West Salem City Hall reflects a late-1800s municipal trend to house many civic functions under one roof. The fire station, jail, and council chambers occupied the ground level, while the second floor hosted a public auditorium, or "opera house". . . . — Map (db m109196) HM
Oklahoma (Tulsa County), Bixby — 220 — Washington Irving’s Camp
“A Tour on the Prairies” by the great writer, Irving, describes his tour on horseback in Oklahoma with the U.S. Rangers from Fort Gibson. Irving camped on the creek near here, Oct. 12, 1832. Marker sponsored by the Tulsa County . . . — Map (db m118322) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Briceville — Cross Mountain Disaster
The Cross Mountain Mine opened in 1888 approximately one mile up Slatestone Road to the west. By 1911, it had two power plants to generate electricity, providing incandescent light for the main entries. Coal was cut by electric chain machines and . . . — Map (db m102329) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Briceville — Miners' Circle Cemetery
Thirty-one of the 84 miners who perished in the December 9, 1911 explosion of the Cross Mountain Mine are buried in concentric circles around a monument beside Circle Cemetery Road. The arrangement of headstones may be rooted in the Welsh ancestry . . . — Map (db m102427) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Clinton — Prelude: The Green McAdoo School
Freedman's Hill, or Foley Hill as it came to be known, has long been an educational site for the African American community, whether in the schoolhouse built by the Freedman's Bureau after the Civil War, later destroyed by fire, or the churches of . . . — Map (db m70646) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — The Birth of the City of Oak Ridge, TennesseeTransformation of the Citizenry
In wartime 1943, realizing that unhappiness with living conditions would imperil the already fragile prognosis for producing uranium-235, the Army overseers of Oak Ridge strove to make life as pleasant as possible for the uprooted professionals sent . . . — Map (db m112457) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Oak Ridge — X-10 – The Clinton Laboratories
In December 1942 University of Chicago physicists demonstrated that the newly discovered element plutonium could be made using a “pile” of uranium and graphite blocks. Aware that Germany was seeking to develop a weapon of unprecedented . . . — Map (db m112351) HM
Tennessee (Anderson County), Rocky Top — Breastworks
Soldiers of the Tennessee National Guard became easy targets for miners positioned on higher ground after trees were cut from Fort Anderson. Convicts then dug these breastworks to provide cover from attacking miners.

War correspondents from . . . — Map (db m102279) HM

Tennessee (Anderson County), Rocky Top — Why Miners Fought
Agricultural land in the region was owned and being farmed by 1880. Younger sons of farmers sought opportunities in mining, learning new job skills from experienced Welsh miners. Mining also offered opportunities for African-Americans who comprised . . . — Map (db m101895) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — 2B 17 — Gov. James B. Frazier
Born in a house 160 ft. west, Oct. 18 1856. Elected Governor of Tennessee in 1902, he was reelected in 1904. He resigned in 1905, having been elected to the Senate, vice William B. Bate, deceased, and served there until 1911. Defeated for . . . — Map (db m109180) HM
Tennessee (Bledsoe County), Pikeville — Pikeville During the Civil WarHistory Around You
The Bledsoe County Courthouse in front of you stands on the site of the first courthouse, which was completed by 1821. During the Civil War, in August 1862, Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg led his Army of Tennessee north from Chattanooga to invade . . . — Map (db m109175) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Craig Fort - 1785
Stockade enclosing about two acres extending southwest to large spring at base of bluff. Scene of many privations, perils and heroic encounters. — Map (db m107578) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 6 — Sam Houston Schoolhouse
Three miles south is the school-house built in 1796 by Andrew Kennedy and Henry McCulloch for their children. Sam Houston taught here in 1811 or 1812. He later became Governor of Tennessee, Commander-in-Chief of the Texas Army, President of the . . . — Map (db m109629) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Rockford — 1E 11 — Knox CountyEstablished 1792; named in honor of — Maj. Gen. Henry Knox
Washington's Chief of Artillery in the Revolutionary War. Secretary of War in Washington's Cabinet. One of the founders and first secretary of the Society of the Cincinnati. Reverse: Blount County Established 1795; named in honor of . . . — Map (db m109332) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 109 — Civil War "No Man's Land"
After battles at Chattanooga in November 1863, and before the Atlanta Campaign the following May, southern Bradley County lay between Union and Confederate lines at Cleveland, Tennessee, and Dalton, Georgia. Both armies scouted the area. Soldiers . . . — Map (db m115884) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 44 — Red Clay Council Ground
One mile west was this Cherokee council ground. Here was held the last council between the United States and the Cherokee nation, preceding the removal of the Indians to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. John Howard Payne, author of “Home, . . . — Map (db m49722) HM
Tennessee (Claiborne County), Cumberland Gap — 1D13 — Harrow School
Founded by Rev. & Mrs. A. A. Myers in 1890. First classes held in basement of Congregational Church on site of present Cumberland Gap School; later moved 1/2 mile west to Harrow Hall. Operated as a division of its successor, Lincoln Memorial . . . — Map (db m80233) HM
Tennessee (Claiborne County), Cumberland Gap — 1D14 — Three States Cornerstone1 1/2 mi.
The cornerstone for Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee is on Three States Peak. The first Virginia - North Carolina (later Tennessee) boundary at this point was surveyed in 1779 by Dr. Thomas Walker and Col. Richard Henderson. The present line and . . . — Map (db m80235) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — The Cross
The cross on the cliff was erected by Bob Knowles in memory of Vassar Brown, age 12, who was killed on the railroad in 1899. — Map (db m126466) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 66 — The War Ford
Located .2 mi. east on the Big Pigeon River is a strategic crossing used by the Cherokees. In Aug. 1782, Gen. Charles McDowell of Burke Co., North Carolina, raised an army of five hundred mounted militia from Morgan District to cross the mountains, . . . — Map (db m61779) HM
Tennessee (Dekalb County), Alexandria — Morgan in AlexandriaPreparing for a Raid
From late in 1862 to mid-1863, Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg fortified his defenses in Middle Tennessee while Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans reinforced his army. To disrupt the extended Federal communication and supply lines, late in 1862 Bragg . . . — Map (db m74322) HM
Tennessee (Fentress County), Pall Mall — Sgt. Alvin C. York Educational Legacy
York Bible School York used funds he received from the movie Sergeant York to promote education and his religious convictions through creation of an interdenominational Bible School. The facility would train song leaders, Sunday School . . . — Map (db m99391) HM
Tennessee (Fentress County), Pall Mall — 2C 14 — Wolf River Cemetery
This cemetery was established in the early 1800’s and was originally called Mt. Pleasant Burying Ground. The oldest known grave of approximately 600 burials is Charles Paul, 1826. Wolf River’s first settler, Conrad “Coonrod” Pile, is . . . — Map (db m62905) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 85 — George Clem School1887 - 1965
In 1887, with assistance from the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, the George Clem School was organized as Greeneville College. In 1932, the Greeneville Board of Education leased the property to provide public education for Negroes. Three . . . — Map (db m90597) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Limestone — Unionist StrongholdThe Civil War in Greene County
Before the war began, Greene County had a long history of abolitionist sentiment. It was not surprising, then, that local residents overwhelmingly supported the Union when Tennessee seceded in June 1861. When 30 neighboring counties met in . . . — Map (db m84761) HM
Tennessee (Hamblen County), Whitesburg — Bent Creek Baptist Church
A part and minority of the Bent Creek Church of 1785 est. here 1881. The Cedar Hill Church merged with this church 1887. Name changed to Catherine Nenney Memorial 1888 in honor of Catherine Nenney Graham, wife of Hugh Graham, wealthy landowner and . . . — Map (db m97661) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Church Hill — 1B 16 — Rice's Mill
On the site of this mill, Henry Rice built and fortified a mill in 1775. Here, in 1776, the settlers took refuge from warring Cherokee. In April, 1777, Capt. James Robertson and eight other pioneers had a fight with 30 or 40 Cherokee near here, in . . . — Map (db m91888) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Mooresburg — 1B 61 — Williams Home Place
Three-tenths of a mile north at 132 Church Lane, Hugh G. Williams and Carrie Moore Williams, descendants of Hugh G. Moore, a founder of Mooresburg, resided here in the late 1800s. The Williams owned the Mooresburg Springs Hotel, a well-known mineral . . . — Map (db m91863) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Dr. William Henderson FranklinBorn: April 14, 1852 — Died: October 19, 1935
Dr. Franklin, a very well known and highly respected educator and humanitarian, founded Swift Memorial Junior College in 1883 and served as President of the school until 1926.

Dr. and Mrs. Franklin are buried in this plot on the campus of . . . — Map (db m91867) HM

Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 64 — Price Public School
Alexander Fain, Jordan Netherland, Albert Jones, and Nathaniel Mitchell, all Black Americans, purchased this land in 1868 "for the purpose of building a schoolhouse for the education of colored children." A two-room log building was constructed and . . . — Map (db m91870) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — Rogersville Town Well
The Hawkins County Chapter of the Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities, (A.P.T.A.), has chosen to fund and erect this monument to commemorate the nearby site of the original town well in Rogersville.

This marble block was . . . — Map (db m91899) HM

Tennessee (Hawkins County), Surgoinsville — 1B 24 — Mitchell's Hollow
About two miles southwest, about 1784, young Joab Mitchell, who had successfully made the trip to the North Fork of the Holston bringing salt for the besieged garrison at Big Creek Fort, was ambushed and mortally wounded by Indians. Beating them . . . — Map (db m97664) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Concord — The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House
The first Cumberland Presbyterian Congregation in East Tennessee was organized c. 1822 and given the name Concord. The church building, often referred to as the "Old Meeting House", was located 2 miles SE of the present town of Concord just off . . . — Map (db m102446) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Farragut — 1E8 — Archibald Roane
A short distance north lived Archibald Roane, Continental soldier, frontier judge and the second governor of Tennessee. He is buried in Pleasant Forest Cemetery, one~half mile south. Many other pioneer settlers are also buried there. — Map (db m28572) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Farragut — 1E7 — Campbell Station
This house marks the site of the station established in 1787 by Col. David Campbell as a frontier fort for protection against Indian attacks. On the main highway to the west it was an important trading post and stopping place for travelers and stock . . . — Map (db m28773) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Farragut — The Campbell Station Inn
History tells us that as early as 1785, the State of Franklin (today Tennessee) entered into an agreement, known as the Dumplin Creek Treaty, with the Cherokees. This treaty opened the land along the French Broad and Holston rivers to a rush of . . . — Map (db m107928) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m100523) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 31 — Cavett's Station
About 1/2 mile north was this early fortified settlement. Here on Sept 25, 1793, Alexander Cavett and 12 other settlers were massacred by a Cherokee war party under Doublehead, one of the more savage chiefs of the tribe. — Map (db m32688) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — Fort DickersonDefending Knoxville
On November 4, 1863, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet led two reinforced divisions from Chattanooga to attack Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside's garrison at Knoxville. Burnside confronted Longstreet below Knoxville, then withdrew on November 12. . . . — Map (db m100512) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 74 — Forts Dickerson and Stanley
Fort Dickerson to the west and Fort Stanley to the east were the center two of four fortified heights held by the Federals south of the river during the siege of Knoxville, Nov. 17-Dec. 4, 1863. Maj. Gen. Jos. Wheeler C.S.A., made a vain effort to . . . — Map (db m62515) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 98 — Odd Fellows Cemetery
This Cemetery was established in 1880 by the Banner Lodge Chapter of the Odd Fellows Fraternal Order. This Cemetery was enlarged by the Daughters of Zion in 1881, the Good Samaritans in 1884, and the Silver Moon Chapter of the Odd Fellows in 1885. . . . — Map (db m84478) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 92 — Old Knox County Courthouse
The third courthouse of Knox County was across Main Ave. to the north from 1842-1886. There twelve Union raiders who were charged with train stealing in the 1862 Great Locomotive Chase in Georgia, were tried in 1863. One was convicted. The trial was . . . — Map (db m4106) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — 1E 119 — St. Clair Cobb1895-1974
A World War I veteran born in Knox County, St. Clair Cobb founded the Knoxville Colored High School Band in 1923. He taught music at several elementary schools, Beardsley Junior High School, and Austin High School, which was previously located at . . . — Map (db m92854) HM
Tennessee (Knox County), Knoxville — War Dog Memorial
This War Dog Memorial is an exact replica of the original erected in Guam in 1994, was donated by Dr. Maurice Acree as a tribute to the unique bond between dogs and humans. Dr. Acree became a major benefactor to the UT College of Veterinary Medicine . . . — Map (db m120514) WM
Tennessee (Maury County), Columbia — 3D 83 — 1946 Columbia Race Riot
In February 1946 a struggle between an African American World War II veteran, James Stephenson, and a white shopkeeper over a radio repair order sparked a riot, fueled by law enforcement officers who raided the African American business district . . . — Map (db m97098) HM
Tennessee (McMinn County), Athens — 2A 102 — Battle of AthensAugust 1 - 2, 1946
The Battle of Athens was an armed revolt that gained national attention. Attempting to end the control of an entrenched political machine, World War II veterans used force to ensure that on the day of local elections in 1946 every vote “was . . . — Map (db m49561) HM
Tennessee (Polk County), Benton — 2A10 — Nancy Ward
High priestess of the Cherokee and always loyal friend of white settlers, is buried on the ridge to the west. She repeatedly prevented massacres of white settlers and several times rescued captives from death at the hands of her people. She is also . . . — Map (db m80167) HM
Tennessee (Putnam County), Buffalo Valley — U.S. Senator Albert Gore, Sr.Tennessee
In 1956 Senator Albert Gore, Sr. authored legislation to create the largest public works project ever undertaken in the United States, the Interstate Highway System. The legislation was signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on June 29, . . . — Map (db m18195) HM
Tennessee (Rutherford County), Milton — 3A 107 — Battle of Milton
On March 20, 1863, a brigade of Union infantry took a position on this ridge and held off repeated attacks by General John H. Morgan's Confederate cavalry. The 1500 Federals, under the command of Colonel Hall, inflicted heavy casualties on the 2000 . . . — Map (db m55483) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Netherland Inn
The Inn was built in the early 1800's by William King and sold to Richard Netherland in 1818. The Inn was a popular Stage Coach Inn and Tavern on the Great Stage Road. Parking and ticket sales are located at the upper parking lot. — Map (db m114012) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — State Theater
This movie house on Broad Street first opened its doors on March 6, 1936 and continued showing films for the next forty-two years. The facility could seat 700 people and became the site of many locally produced civic and cultural events such as the . . . — Map (db m114010) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Fall Branch — 1A 104 — Fall Branch Community Educational Center
In 1842, a one-room brick building, known as the Seminary, opened in the Fall Branch Community. At the close of the Civil War, the building was destroyed by fire and facilities were provided by local churches. In 1889, the Fall Branch Educational . . . — Map (db m114009) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Johnson City — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. This . . . — Map (db m126463) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Johnson City — 1A 22 — History on Knob Creek
About 0.3 miles east stood Twin Falls Grist Mill, belonging to Peter Range, an early immigrant from New Jersey. He bought this land in 1804-08 and built the 2-story & basement stone house, standing today. His limestone marker reads, “P. Range, . . . — Map (db m47462) HM
Texas (Newton County), Burkeville — 11107 — Site of Old Burr’s Ferry(At Highway Bridge)
An important communications point between Texas and the United States, especially during settlement era of early 1800’s. Named for Dr. Timothy Burr (1790-1852), second cousin of U.S. Vice President Aaron Burr. Dr. Burr is said to have come to . . . — Map (db m107228) HM
Texas (Newton County), Mayflower — 14718 — Mattox Cemetery
Wade Hampton Mattox came to this area from Florida prior to 1850. His grave, dating to the 1860s, is the first marked in the cemetery, established close to the house in keeping with Mattox tradition. The burial ground later served the Survey . . . — Map (db m107225) HM
Texas (Newton County), Mayflower — 11147 — The Survey Community
William Williams, an early 1800s Sabine Valley pioneer, obtained a large land grant in 1834 from the Republic of Mexico. His surveyed land attracted settlers, who called the location “The Survey”. In 1847 Wade H. Mattox (1800 – . . . — Map (db m107226) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Hemphill — 14318 — First Baptist Church of Hemphill
The First Baptist Church of Hemphill has served the community since 1858, when Hemphill was organized. A number families from other states settled Hemphill at that time, including the five families that established the church. The organizing members . . . — Map (db m107128) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Hemphill — In Memory of Charles Krenek & Jules “Buzz” Mier, Jr.
On February 1, 2003, the Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrated in the skies over Texas and came to rest in Sabine County. Hundreds of volunteers undertook the difficult task of recovering Columbia and her Crew. This monument serves as a reminder . . . — Map (db m107123) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Hemphill — In Memory of Columbia STS-107
Her crew Rick D. Husband William C. McCool David M. Brown Kalpana Chawla Michael P. Anderson Laurel B. Clark Ilan Ramon On February 1, 2003, the crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia STS-107 gave their lives in their final mission to . . . — Map (db m107124) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Hemphill — 7577 — Sabine County Courthouse
An 1858 election called for Sabine County offices to be moved from Milam (7 Mi. N) to this more central location. The new county seat, Hemphill, was named for former Texas Supreme Court Justice John Hemphill. The first courthouse at this site burned . . . — Map (db m107164) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Milam — 7574 — Matthew Arnold Parker(May 17, 1801 – March 19, 1862)
First Chief Justice of Sabine County, Republic of Texas, Parker was born in Georgia. He came here from Louisiana in 1822, settling at this site which was on land later included in his Headright Grant from the Republic. In 1836 he served in the . . . — Map (db m107121) HM
Texas (Sabine County), Toledo Bend — Texas Louisiana BoundaryKings Highway — Camino Real
Old San Antonio Road Marked by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the State of Texas A.D. 1918 — Map (db m30770) HM
Virginia (Lee County), Ewing — Z-130 — Lee County/Tennessee
(side 1) Lee County Lee County, the western-most county in Virginia, was formed from Russell County in 1792; a part of Scott County was added later. The county is named for Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, governor of Virginia from . . . — Map (db m80237) HM

952 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 752
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.