Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

681 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 481
 
Lincoln Mourned Marker Detail image, Touch for more information
Courtesy of the New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center
Lincoln Mourned Marker Detail
Connecticut (Hartford County), Hartford — Marquis De La Fayette
To the Marquis De La Fayette, born September 6, 1757, died May 20, 1834. A true friend of Liberty, who served as a Major General in the Continental Army with “all possible zeal, without any special pay or allowances” until . . . — Map (db m3888) HM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Volcano — The "Firepit" of Halema'uma'u
Halema'uma'u Crater is the site of the most eruptions at the summit of Kilauea Volcano. Between 1905 and 1924, a period of about 20 years, a dazzling lake of molten lava circulated within its walls. Then, in 1924, the lake drained away, allowing . . . — Map (db m26233) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Site of the Annapolis City Gates — 1698-1790
All roads leading to this provincial capital, marked AA to guide the traveler, entered the city here beside the city gate house. A wooden fence, enclosing the city, kept out wandering cattle and "men of ill fame." Erected by the National Society of . . . — Map (db m6190) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Old Treasury Building — The Oldest Public Building in Annapolis
The Old Treasury Building was built by Patrick Creagh in 1735-36 for the Commissioners for Emitting Bills of Credit who issued the first paper money of the colony. Known in the colonial period as the Paper Currency Office, and the Loan Office, the . . . — Map (db m126271) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Springfield — Shays’ Rebellion
This Tablet Marks the Battle Place of Shays' Rebellion January 25, 1787 — • — Erected By The George Washington Chapter Sons Of The American Revolution A.D.1900 — Map (db m7791) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — 200th Anniversary of Albany Charter
Tablet commemorating the Two Hundredth Anniversary of Albany As a chartered city Settled about 1624: Charter Granted by Gov. Dongan: July 22 1606: State Legislature Held Here Permanently Since 1797: Early Names Of The City: . . . — Map (db m5560) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Albany Pump Station
The original Quackenbush pumping sta. engines pumped water from Hudson River to reservoirs until Dec. 1932. In Charge of Construction: I.C. Chesbrough. Engineer; J.H. Mars, Engineer For Pump Engine Constr. 1874 Designated as an Albany . . . — Map (db m4190) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Birthplace of Modern Electricity
Here discovering magnetic induction, Joseph Henry pioneered the telegraph and electric motor, 1829 - 31 — Map (db m127919) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Railroad
Near Here Mohawk and Hudson First Railroad Chartered in this Country, 1826, Began its Run Albany to Schenectady. — Map (db m36635) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Glenn Curtiss Flight
From This Ground Glenn Curtiss Began The First Long Distance Airplane Flight Albany To New York May 29, 1910. — Map (db m13308) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Mourned
"The face had an expression of absolute content, of relief, at throwing off a burden such as few men have been called upon to bear --- a burden which few men could have borne." - Recollections of New York Secretary of State Chauncey M. Depew. . . . — Map (db m5192) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — New York State Office Building
New York State Office Building Cornerstone Laid By Gov. Alfred E. Smith, 1928. — Map (db m8024) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 1 New York City 1993-1997
When the USS Slater returned from Greece to dock at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City on August 27, 1993, the state of the ship was appalling. The first goal was to survey the condition of the ship and develop a plan of action. . . . — Map (db m49646) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Phase 3 Albany 2002 - Present
The whole painstaking process of restoring the ship, acquiring the parts and installing the refurbished gear, has been driven by volunteers and would have never been possible without these dedicated individuals. The SLATER's wooden whale boat has . . . — Map (db m49644) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — U.S.S. Slater — (DE-766)
Time: The Second World War, 1942 During the “dark days” of 1940, after the German conquest of France and prior to the U.S. involvement in World War II, England stood alone against the threat of Nazi world domination. An island . . . — Map (db m18188) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — John Groot
Farm and Burial Place John Groot Officer 3d Regiment Albany County Militia War of Revolution — Map (db m43885) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Old Plank Road
Schoharie to Albany Followed this Route Chartered 1849 Abandoned 1867 — Map (db m44861) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Severson House
Built by Early Settler Jurrian Severson Located on Map of West Manor Rensselaerswyck, 1767 — Map (db m44897) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Ax Factory
Established by Daniel Simmons in 1825. Said to be the first factory in the United States to make axes from cast steel — Map (db m62839) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Earliest House
Built About 1750 By Peter Weidman, A Swiss, Stood On This Site — Map (db m101715) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Johannes Dietz
Near this spot in September 1781 Johannes Dietz and seven members of his family were massacred by Tories and Indians. — Map (db m30756) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — West Berne
West Berne Called Mechanicsville 1830-34 Because So Many Mechanics Lived Here — Map (db m73433) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Site of the Battle of Clarksville
On Dec.3, 1839, during the Anti-Rent Wars, Sheriff Artcher and his posse marched from Albany to Clarksville. They met their first resistance here. — Map (db m50488) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Camp Van Schaick
Encampment of the Northern Department Continental Army August 9-September 8-1777 from this place August 9-1777 Gen. Ebenezer Learned with his Massachusetts Brigade marched to relieve Fort Stanwix — Map (db m7666) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes City Hall
Designed by Architect J.C. Holland and constructed in 1895, this Romanesque Revival building is the center of Cohoes Government. The limestone structure was the first building in the city constructed with public funds. — Map (db m40988) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — First Power Mill for the Manufacture of Knit Fabrics
First Power Mill - for the - Manufacture of Knit Fabrics ———————— Erected in 1843, By Egberts & Bailey Inventors of the Power Knitting Machine in 1832. ·      ·      . . . — Map (db m11350) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Misty 17
"Misty" was the call sign used by the F-110F Fast Forward Air Controllers (Fast Fac's) during the Vietnam War. There were 155 pilots officially assigned to fly missions over North Vietnam from June 15, 1967 to May 19, 1970. 21 other attached pilots . . . — Map (db m40826) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Sightseeing / Cataract House, Cohoes Falls, N.Y.
Sightseeing Dutch visitors left the first written accounts of the Great Falls of the Mohawk River at Cohoes during the 1640s. Generations of sightseers, poets, and artists followed to look at the falls, hear their roar, and feel the spray. . . . — Map (db m11612) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — The Cohoes Mastodont
The Cohoes Mastodont was discovered during the excavation for Harmony Mill #3 in 1866. The mill is sometimes referred to as the "Mastodon Mill" for this reason. When all the bones were recovered, they were kept at the Harmony Mills Office on . . . — Map (db m41622) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Van Schaick Burial Plot
First Settlers of Cohoes And Owners of Half Moon Patent Buried Here — Map (db m7249) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — Dalessondro Boulevard
In December of 1944, near Kalterherberg, Germany Technical Sergeant Peter J. Dalessondro of the 9th Infantry Division, at great personal risk, intrepidly fought against overwhelming enemy attack to save his company from defeat. His singlehanded . . . — Map (db m21881) HM
New York (Albany County), Colonie — The Boght
The Boght Settled On and After 1704 By The Vischer Weaver Witbeck Lansing Powell Runkle Dunsbach Lieverse Staats Roff Godfrey Van O Linde Groesbeck Van Vranken Fero Van De Mark Van Denburgh Johnson Pollock Storms Fonda and . . . — Map (db m24731) HM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Union Dutch Reformed Church
Founded and Erected 1825. "For The Glory of God" Quoted from 1824 Land Deed. Horse Sheds Built 1840 Fellowship Hall Added 1906 — Map (db m97276) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Dr F. Crounse
Built this house, 1833 First physician at West Guilderland (Altamont) Practiced here sixty years — Map (db m49844) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — French's Hollow
Site of a Sawmill; Clothe Wks of Peter K. Broeck 1795; Factory of Abel French and Tavern of Jacob Aker 1800 — Map (db m65413) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Inn of Jacob Crounse
Built 1833. Midway tavern where horses were changed on Schoharie-Albany Stage Coach Route — Map (db m49512) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Jacob Van Aernam
Jacob Van Aernam 1723 - 1813 Capt. 3rd Albany Regiment Leader of Patriot forces in the Helderberg region during American Revolution Lived on farm here — Map (db m44020) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Knower House
Est. as hat factory about 1800 by Benjamin Knower Gov. William L. Marcy Married Cornelia Knower in this house — Map (db m49446) HM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — Wildehausen
Site of an Indian Village Nearby Stream Called Wildehausekill or "Indian House Creek" — Map (db m66751) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — Dutch Barn
Built Circa 1800 For Palatine German Settler Jacob Sholtes 1761-1852 By Grandson Jacob 1817-1891 — Map (db m62841) HM
New York (Albany County), Knox — 227 — Palatine Trail
Road Used for Travel West to Schoharie Valley As Early as 1767, The Town of Knox Began To Grow Around This Path. — Map (db m88107) HM
New York (Albany County), Latham — Latham
. . . — Map (db m75495) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — David Allen House
Land leased From Patroon c.1779. Original House Is Stone. Wood Sections Added Later. Occupied by The Allen Family over 100 Years. — Map (db m97288) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — The Indian Ladder Trail
The Indian Ladder Trail runs along the base of the cliff and was historically called the "Lower Bear Path." Here, you are halfway down the limestone cliff, where the Coeymans formation above meets the Manlius below. At the top of the Manlius is a . . . — Map (db m43845) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Erie Canal
Completed 1825 Terminus at Hudson River. Locks called Sidecut allowed entry to navigable waters — Map (db m12214) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — Meneely Foundry
Meneely Foundry 1826 - 1950 First Chime & Carillon in U.S. Cast Here Foremost Bell Maker Patented Rotary Yoke And Casting Procedures. — Map (db m40322) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — The Nalle Rescue
The Nalle Rescue April 27, 1860 Near this site on Broadway, Charles Nalle, a fugitive slave from Culpepper, Virginia, was rescued from slave catchers by Harriet Tubman and citizens of Troy and West Troy (Watervliet), completing an . . . — Map (db m42015) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitch's Covered Bridge
Placed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1999 Rehabilitated in 2001 by Delaware County Department of Public Works. Donated By Greater Delhi Area Chamber Of CommerceMap (db m101315) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — The 144th Regiment
N.Y. Vol. Inf. organized in Delaware County. Mustered into the Union Army Sept. 27, 1862 at Camp Delaware located on the flats below Delhi. — Map (db m93300) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Mount Utsayantha
Property on top of this mountain was donated to the Village of Stamford in 1917 by the estate of Dr. Stephen Churchill for use as a park Elevation 3,214 FeetMap (db m5402) HM
New York (Essex County), Lake Placid — Henry J. Kaiser
To Honor the Memory of Henry J. Kaiser The famous industrialist and philanthropist who operated a studio and photo shop on this site from 1901 to 1905 Brownell and Kaiser "Meet The Man with a Smile" He returned in June 1949 . . . — Map (db m46295) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Frenchmans Creek
In 1810 Duncan McMartin on this creek built a saw, grist, and woolen mill. He was surveyor, lawyer, judge court common pleas 1813, Later elected State Senator — Map (db m30962) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Home of Robert W. Chambers
Home Of Robert W. Chambers 1865-1933 Famous Author, Illustrator, and Amateur Entomologist — Map (db m30957) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Veterans Hall
J.B. McKean Post G.A.R. first met here February 23, 1891. R.L. Walsh Post Am. Leg. first met here September 19, 1919. 108 years serving America. — Map (db m30955) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Battle Field
Battle of Johnstown fought Oct. 25, 1781. American forces led by Col. Willett British forces under Maj. Ross and Capt. Butler. Bicentennial Fulton Co. 1975 Map (db m58940) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Fort Johnstown
. . . — Map (db m68230) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — James Burk's Inn
Moved here about 1788. Lot formerly Sir WM Johnson's. Village called John's Town. Younglove home 1812-1926. D.A.R. Chapter House 1926 — Map (db m76652) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Johnson Hall - 1763 — Johnstown — Historic New York
Historic New York Johnson Hall - 1763 Johnstown     Sir William Johnson (1715-1774), Indian trader, statesman,diplomat and Colonial Empire Builder, in 1763 built Johnson Hall, the center of his estate and the scene of many Indian . . . — Map (db m5683) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Site of Battle In American Revolution
This tablet marks the site of the battle fought in The War of the American Revolution October 25th 1781, and was erected by The Johnstown Chapter DAR August 31st 1901 Charter Day Thus we show to Succeeding generations that we honor . . . — Map (db m59006) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Site of First St John's Church — North
Site of First St John's Church (1760) erected by Sir William Johnson; first Church of England North of the Mohawk River — Map (db m50747) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Talmadge Edwards
Rev. War Veteran 1747-1821 expert tanner, began first glove shop behind home on this site 1808. - Founded Fulton Co. leather industry — Map (db m68523) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Who Was Sir William Johnson ?
Sir William Johnson (1715-1774) came from Ireland in 1738 to administer his uncle's lands in the Mohawk Valley. Johnson became a planter, trader, military officer, land speculator, statesman, Indian agent and churchman. He built a store to trade . . . — Map (db m58944) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Captain Solomon Woodworth — Sergeant John Dunham
. . . — Map (db m34818) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Mayfield Fort
Built and Garrisoned During the Revolution as A Refuge for Settlers Of Vicinity — Map (db m33005) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Nine Mile Tree
Site of landmark on car- riage road built by Sir Wm. Johnson. 9 miles from Johnson Hall, Ft. Johnson & Fish House on Sacandaga Bicentennial Fulton Co. 1975 Map (db m58950) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Rice Homestead
Built about 1790 by Oliver Rice a soldier of the American Revolution, serving under General Washington — Map (db m68555) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Riceville Cemetery — »————›
Here are Buried Jonathan Fisk- Oliver Rice-William Woodworth- Samuel Woodworth-Jesse Foote- Isaac Bemis-Jonathan Canfield- Soldiers of The Revolution — Map (db m34631) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Romeyn's Mill
Site Of Romeyn's Mill Erected 1773 by Sir William Johnson. Burned During Revolution. Rebuilt by Col. Abraham Romeyn. Commander Montgomery County Militia — Map (db m68133) HM
New York (Fulton County), Mayfield — Woodworth Farm
»—› Woodworth Farm Conveyed by Commissioners of Forfeiture to William G. Woodworth in 1786. Served in Revolution. Passed to Hiram Woodworth 1810-1910 — Map (db m68196) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northampton — 245 — Sweets Crossing
FJ&G RR Crossed Here At Levi & Zeruah Sweet Farm. The Sweet Family Provided Food to Stranded Passengers During Blizzard of March 1888 — Map (db m88054) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — Chimney Swifts of Northville, New York
Migratory Birds who span approximately 7000 miles from the Amazon jungle of South America to the north country of New York State. First Study of the Chimney Swifts was made by Walker A. La Rowe of the Northville Rotary Club. Mr. La Rowe, after . . . — Map (db m58969) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — Fort Herkimer
Site of home of Johan Jost, Herkimer ca. 1740 fortified 1756-57 military outpost During French & Indian and Revolutionary Wars — Map (db m32461) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Amelia Earhart
Former site of Canastota Municipal Airport 1928-1989 Dedicated by Amelia Earhart August 28,1928 — Map (db m82424) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Lewis Adamo
Asst Canastota Police Chief Killed At This Location On June 5 1950 While Directing Traffic — Map (db m109697) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Ames — James Mereness
Local Doctor Who Was Active In Anti-Slavery Movement Reportedly Hid Freedom Seekers In His Nearby Home As Part Of Underground RR — Map (db m114024) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Chuctanunda Terrace Site
Native Americans have been visiting the site for nearly 5,000 years, drawn to this location by the rich resources of the Mohawk River and the Chuctanunda Creek North, and the animals and plants that flourished on their banks. The site was visited . . . — Map (db m97442) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Guy Park — Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
Guy Johnson came from Ireland in 1756 to work for his uncle, William Johnson. He became Deputy of Indian Affairs and took over as the Superintendent upon Sir William's death in 1774. During the French & Indian Wars, Guy was a colonel in the local . . . — Map (db m58970) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Guy Park, 1766
Guy Park, 1766 Built by Sir William Johnson for Daughter, Molly, wife of Col. Guy Johnson. Johnsons left for Canada in 1775 — Map (db m50053) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Sanford Mansion
Home of Stephen Sanford Industrial Pioneer, Rugmaker and Philanthropist c. 1860 Donated by John Sanford for Amsterdam City Hall 1932 — Map (db m11611) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Sweet Canal Store
»————› Built circa 1850 to service Barges on Erie Canal, served As store and forwarding Warehouse for goods shipped Across river to Amsterdam — Map (db m50148) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Canajoharie Academy
Site of Canajoharie Academy 1824-92 Susan B. Anthony Taught Here 1846 50. Charles F. Wheelock, Prin., 1880-91 — Map (db m57934) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Van Alstyne Homestead
Built 1749 By Martin J. Van Alstyne 16 of 31 Meetings of Tryon County Safety Committee Held Here 1774-75 General Nicholas Herkimer Received Commission As Brig. Gen Here 1775 — Map (db m22527) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Charleston — 12 — Amos Clayton — Legends & Lore
1875-1942 AKA "Amy" or Island Hermit. Peddler Who Walked Great Distances, Danced For Pennies. Inspired Many Local Tales — Map (db m101679) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Charleston — William McConkey Grave Site
Grave of William McConkey Jan. 22, 1744 - Sept. 10, 1825 Owner of ferry on Delaware River on which Washington crossed Dec. 25, 1776 — Map (db m41370) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Florida — Associate Church
Associate Church Organized about 1786 by Associate Presbytery of Pennsylvania. 1st ministers: Mairs, Banks, Donaldson, Campbell. 1st church built 1800. — Map (db m45792) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Florida — Scotch Church Cemetery
Site of Town of Florida United Pres. Church Cemetery known as Scotch Church Cem. <———————«« First interment 1802, early Scotch Settlers Buried Here. Some are soldiers of Revolution . . . — Map (db m45795) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Caughnawaga
Lower Mohawk Indian Castle 1667 Ruled By Turtle Clan. Jesuit Mission of St. Peter's Destroyed in Raid of 1693 — Map (db m67065) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Douw Fonda
Early Settler and Trader Village Named for Him Trading Post Burned and Fonda Killed in 1780 Raid Her. & Gen. Soc. Of Mont. Co.Map (db m66547) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Fonda
Fonda 1836-1918 * Mohawk Turnpike Improved 1800 Utica & Schenectady R.R. Built, Station Named for Pioneer Family 1836 Montogomery Co. Agricultural Society Formed Oct. 13, 1844 First County Fair held at Court House Nov. 11-12, 1844 . . . — Map (db m59765) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — The 115th & 153rd Regiments
In Memory Of The 115th and 153rd Regimentsm N.Y. Volunteers of the Civil War. The 115th (Iron Hearted) Regiment was organized and Mustered Into U.S. service Aug. 29, 1862, at Fonda, N.Y. and honorably discharged at Raleigh, N.C., June . . . — Map (db m59526) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Hunter — Site of Last Mohawk Indian Village
Site Of I-Can-De-Ro-Ga or Ti-On-On-To-Gen. Lower Castle Mohawks' Wolfclan Last Mohawk Indian Village in valley, 1700-1775. — Map (db m47294) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Hunter — Site of Old Fort Hunter
Site of Old Fort Hunter Built 1711-12 by order of Gov. Hunter for Protection of Mohawk Indians. Was Stockaded and Surrounded Queen Anne Chapel. — Map (db m47293) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Fort Plain Free Library
Fort Plain Free Library Formed 1885 By Women's Library Association and Martha Bortle, Local Educator. Chartered 1894. — Map (db m95733) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fultonville — Herkimer Home - 1764 — Three miles east of Little Falls on Route 5-S — Historic New York
General Nicholas Herkimer (1728–1777), one of the first American-born generation of the Palatine Germans who settled the Mohawk Valley, leading farmer-trader of the Valley, and hero of the Battle of Oriskany, built Herkimer Home in . . . — Map (db m4269) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — Pawling Hall
Has Been Placed on The National Register of Historic Places in 2002 By the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2013Map (db m76606) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Nelliston — Fort Wagner
Stone Section of House Was Stockaded Home Of Lt. Col. Peter Wagner Palatine Regt. Tryon County Militia - 1750 — Map (db m120445) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Pearth — 18th Century Home
18th Century Home Built by John Gunsaulis This Typical Colonial Plank Home Is Notable for Unique Chimenys, Original Features, Privy and Imposing Size North of the Mohawk — Map (db m46975) HM
New York (Oneida County), Oriskany — The Rally
Both sides regrouped during a driving rain. Herkimers's troops concentrated here, forming an irregular circle. The attackers were on all sides. — Map (db m22893) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Fort Bull
250 Paces from here is the site of Fort Bull the scene of fierce struggles during the early Indian Wars- twenty years before the revolution — Map (db m43098) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Fort Stanwix — Defending the Mohawk Valley — Fort Stanwix National Monument
Fort Stanwix...is large and well situated. The Examination of this fortification gave me a better idea of the strength and Importance of a Fort than any thing I ever before saw or Read. Captain Joseph Bloomfield, 1776Map (db m33300) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — Senator John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Senator John Fitzgerald Kennedy of Massachusetts addressed two thousand Romans from this site September 29, 1960, in his quest for the presidency of the United States. — Map (db m43355) HM
New York (Oneida County), Rome — U.S. Arsenal
Site of U.S. Arsenal Maintained as an arsenal during the war of 1812 and subsequently until 1873. — Map (db m43285) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Jordan — Erie Canal
Opened 1819 in Jordan Abandoned Fall of 1917 Aqueduct built 1841 when the canal was enlarged Canal Park built 1932 — Map (db m12544) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Syracuse — Harriet May Mills House
Home Of Harriet May Mills, Pres. Of N.Y. Woman Sufferage Assoc. 1st Woman to Run For Sec. Of State (1920) Founder Of On. Cty. Women's Democ. Club — Map (db m109248) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cherry Valley — Colonel Alden Felled
On this spot Col. Alden was felled by the tomahawk on the day of the massacre Nov. 11. 1778 — Map (db m42462) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cherry Valley — Lieutenant Wormuth Killed
From behind this rock Joseph Brant shot and killed Lieut Wormuth May 1778 Erected by Cherry Valley Chapter D.A.R. 1914 — Map (db m42492) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cooperstown — Cardiff Giant
The Great American Hoax Dug Up In Cardiff, N Y October 16, 1869 Now At The Farmers' Museum — Map (db m76150) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cooperstown — Clinton's Dam
Dam opened August 9, 1779 2000 Men and 200 batteaux went down the Susquehanna — Map (db m43309) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cooperstown — General Clinton's Dam
. . . — Map (db m43308) HM
New York (Otsego County), East Springfield — General James Clinton
This monument is erected to the memory of Gen'l James Clinton Born 1736 died 1812 & marks a point on the line of march of his troops from Mohawk River to Otsego Lake in Jvne 1779 General James Clinton Chapter DAR . . . — Map (db m42494) HM
New York (Otsego County), Richfield Springs — Ganowauges — Great White Sulphur Spring
Indian Tribes Healing Water Caused Resort Era 1800-1940 Origin of Village and Official Seal — Map (db m42751) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), North Greenbush — Little Red Schoolhouse
Little Red Schoolhouse Since 1861 The Only One Room Schoolhouse Operating In New York State — Map (db m39022) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Rensselaer — Fort Crailo
2000 Feet Fort Crailo "Yankee Doodle" Written there 1758 — Map (db m40781) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Sand Lake — Glass Lake
Rensselaer Glassworks Glass House Village 1804-1852 Headwaters of The Wynantskill — Map (db m65615) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Schodack — NY-25 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this Place Passed Gen. Henry Knox In the Winter of 1775 - 1776 To Deliver To Gen. George Washington At Cambridge The Train of Artillery From Fort Ticonderoga Used to Force the British Army to Evacuate Boston . . . — Map (db m23747) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Town of Nassau — Home of Big Thunder
Dr. Smith Boughton, leader of 1844-45 anti rent war, liver here: 1838-1888 — Map (db m58448) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — George Henry Thomas — Major General, U.S.A. — July 31, 1816 – March 28, 1870
★       ★ “The Rock of Chickamauga” A native Virginian who chose to remain in the Union Army. At the outbreak of the Civil War, General Thomas played a crucial role in the war’s outcome with his successes in the . . . — Map (db m37448) HM WM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — History of 1819 Fifth Avenue
Lot 418 (Yesterday) 1797 The premises on the western side of Fifth Street in the City of Troy initially known as Lot 418 was originally owned by Jacob D. Vanderheydan. Between the years of 1797 and 1862 the property was occupied by many different . . . — Map (db m39346) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Kate Mullany House
Kate Mullany House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This house possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Kate Mullany, an Irish Immigrant, laundry worker, and a nationally . . . — Map (db m40827) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Liberty Street Presbyterian Church — (African)
1840 - 1963 Site of Liberty Street Presbyterian Church (African) 1st Pastor, Henry H. Garnet, 1840-48; Local, State and Nat'l Abolitionist Meetings: Draft Riot Site, 1863 Beta Psi Boulι, Sigma . . . — Map (db m93298) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Norman Rockwell
Frequently Visited Troy, Chose This Site For "The Street Was Never The Same" (1952) And Other Troy Settings For Paintings — Map (db m120399) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — San Francisco Giants
Troy, N.Y. Birthplace of the San Francisco Giants When Troy resigned from the National League in 1882, most of its players went to the N.Y. Gothams, renamed The Giants in 1883 (because of the "very tall . . . — Map (db m7425) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — The Great Fire of 1862
On May 10, 1862, much of downtown Troy [N.Y.] was destroyed by the worst fire the city has ever known. Sparks from a steam engine set fire to the wooden bridge to Green Island, and a strong wind spread the flames across the city. By night fall, over . . . — Map (db m57941) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Washington Park
Washington Park Established in 1840 this park is one of only two privately owned urban ornamental parks in New York State Washington Park Association Map (db m45179) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Wilson Farmhouse
Samuel "Uncle Sam" & Ebenezer Wilson built their home here on Mount Ida, overlooking Troy. The surrounding orchard and nearby hillside were ideal for grazing animals, assuring a steady supply of livestock for their growing meat . . . — Map (db m36915) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Walloomsac — Massachusetts Volunteers at Bennington
Erected by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a tribute to her patriotic volunteers who rendered valuable service in the repulse of the Burgoyne invasion at the Battle of Bennington August 16, 1777. — Map (db m36757) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Calvary Episcopal Church
Founded By Dr. Edward Davis May 7, 1849. First Service In This Building Was Christmas Eve, 1849. — Map (db m92737) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Here in 1800 / Here in 1900
Here in 1800 A Bathing Green, Bath House And Mineral Spring Were Used By Visitors From Six Boarding Houses and Five Private Summer Homes. Here In 1900 Shoppers Going to Front St. And Workers Walking Through The Tunnel . . . — Map (db m65729) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clutes Dry Dock
Volvyder's Dry Dock, 1825. Re-established by Nicholas Clute, 1852. Canal boats built and repaired here. Settlement abandoned 1907. — Map (db m49876) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Jonesville Academy 1836-76
Private Boarding School Offering an Academic, Commercial, Classical and "Ornamental" Education. 181 Students in 1852. — Map (db m70265) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Day — Conklingville Cemetery
Created 1924. There Were 381 Graves Reinterred From 7 Area Cemeteries Due To The Flooding Of The Sacandaga Valley — Map (db m97403) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Carriage Shop
Erected Prior to 1828, Arad & Leonard Copeland operated the water - powered shop. In 1884 converted to machine shop by John W. Latcher. — Map (db m20857) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Tennantville
Site of Woodenware Community Founded by Tennant Family-1823 W/3 Story Mill, Store; School. Mfg. Clothespins, Bowls; Lath. Last Mill Burned 1915. — Map (db m88357) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Drive-In Signs
Open-air theater started in 1949 by Sarto and Leona Smaldone, Drive-In purchased in 1988 by brothers Ed and Tom Caro, in operation for over 50 years. Designated a Malta Landmark 2007Map (db m40426) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Round Lake — Round Lake
Established by Round Lake Camp Meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church of the Troy Conference, Chartered May 5, 1868, by the State Legislature. First Camp Meeting September 1 - 10, 1868. — Map (db m48153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Hall of Springs
The ceremony in which the cornerstone of the Hall of Springs was laid July 12, 1933, marked the beginning of the New Spa's development. Waters from the Geyser, Hathorn, and Coesa Springs were piped into the Hall of Springs for patrons to drink while . . . — Map (db m48201) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — New York State County Highway Superintendents Association
Site of the first meeting of the New York State County Highway Superintendent Association Held in 1909 at the Worden Hotel. All 57 Counties Present. — Map (db m50803) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — NY-13 — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9789) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — HS45 — New Hampshire Memorial — 1777 --- 1927
“I dedicate this gun to the American Cause.” Colonel Joseph Cilley In honor of Enoch Poor Brigadier-General of the New Hampshire troops Joseph Cilley Colonel of the First Regiment Henry Dearborn Colonel of the Second Regiment . . . — Map (db m10084) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Site of the Taylor Cabin
Grievously wounded, General Simon Fraser was carried here to the Taylor cabin, which had been taken over as a residence by Baroness Riedesel, the wife of the German commander. The bleeding general was brought into the room, where a cheerful . . . — Map (db m32502) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Strategy and Terrain
By closing the road and river, the Americans forced the British into rough, wooded lands where they could not use their infantry and artillery to best advantage. — Map (db m9935) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Timothy Murphy
This monument is erected by the Ancient Order of Hibernians of Saratoga County to the memory of Timothy Murphy Celebrated marksman of Colonel Morgan’s Rifle Corps whose unerring aim turned the tide of battle by the death of the British General . . . — Map (db m28611) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Zebulon Bidwell
Captain 4th Company Colonel Thaddeus Cook’s Regiment Connecticut Militia Killed here in the Battle of Saratoga September 19, 1777 Erected by Bidwell Family Association September 19, 1924 — Map (db m11511) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Victory — Saratoga Monument
Triumphant from their spectacular victory in the Battles of Saratoga, American troops pursued British forces that retreated to these grounds. After a brief siege, the British surrendered, marched down this hill and laid down their weapons on October . . . — Map (db m8255) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Cohoes - Waterford Bridge
Designed and Built in 1932 by the State of New York Department of Public Works Frederick Stuart Greene, Superintendent T.F Farrell - Chief Engineer H.O Scheermerhorn - Asst. Chief Engineer R. B. Smith - Resident Eng Bates and . . . — Map (db m34329) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Union Bridge
RiverSpark Union Bridge The site of the Union Bridge, the first bridge over the Hudson River, the original Union Bridge was built in 1804 by the people of Waterford and Lansingburgh. This wooden, covered toll bridge was designed by Theodore . . . — Map (db m70366) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — White Homestead
Erected 1830 by Hugh White who helped develop Cohoes Power and Industry; R. R. Builder; Congressman; Brother of Canvass White, C. E., Builder of Erie Canal — Map (db m11532) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Wilton — Grant Cottage
Approaching road to house on Mount McGregor where Ulysses S. Grant died July 23, 1885 — Map (db m56861) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Christman Sanctuary — History
The Eastern New York chapter of the Nature Conservancy purchased the original 97 acres of this sanctuary in 1970 from Lansing and Lucille Christman, son and daughter-in-law of the late William W. Christman. William (Will) Christman devoted his . . . — Map (db m13904) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Eatons Corners Post Office & Store
Site of post office & store established about 1820 by Lemuel Eaton and run for years. He brought the mail each Saturday on horseback from Amsterdam. — Map (db m29760) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Duanesburg — Frost Homestead
This house was built by James Frost in 1834, using reclaimed portions from the Featherstonhaugh Mansion built in 1808 — Map (db m6040) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Hoffmans Ferry
Here About 1790 Harmanus Vedder Established A Ferry Which Bore His Name Until 1835 When The Ferry Rights Were Bought By J. Hoffman — Map (db m105177) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Sacandaga Road
New York Sacandaga Road Cut Through The Primitive Forest By Early Settlers Along An Indian Trail Leading To The Sacandaga Region And Canada. — Map (db m104957) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Wolf Hollow
New York Wolf Hollow A Fault And Displacement Of 1000 Feet In Earth's Surface Rocks. Here, In 1669, The Mohawks Ambushed Their Algonkian Invaders — Map (db m105189) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — George S. Haswell III — 1946 - 1994
Mariner, master of the batteau Discovery, which departed this harbor August 21, 1992, on the 200th anniversary of Schuyler's Expedition, through her final voyage to Onondaga Lake, July 9th 1994; there he was struck by lightning and died, July . . . — Map (db m51122) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Jan Mabee House
Built Circa 1705 Occupied For 3 Centuries The Farmstead Features 2 Distinct Styles Of Dutch Architecture — Map (db m73814) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ALCo Site
On this three-acre plot in 1848 was founded the locomotive works which prospered until 1968 as American Locomotive Co. — Map (db m38348) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Ellis Hospital
Built 1893 on this site,replacing 1885 Dispensary. It became City Hall Annex in 1906 as hospital moved to Nott Street location. — Map (db m58342) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — First Mill
Site Of First Mill Built By Sweer Teunise On Mill Kill 1666. Destroyed By Flood 1673 and Rebuilt. First Industry Of The Mohawk Valley — Map (db m51121) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Nott Memorial
Nott Memorial Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance In Commemorating The History of The United States of America 1986 National Park Service United States Department of . . . — Map (db m23365) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Revolutionary Hospital & Continental Barracks
On This Site Stood During the Revolutionary War The General Hospital For The Northern Department, And The Continental Barracks. Built By Order Of General Washington In Nov. 1776, And used Until 1780 By Troops Passing Through Or . . . — Map (db m50316) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Robert Sanders House 1750
Washington Visited Here in 1775 Later Became Schenectady Female Academy — Map (db m77588) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The Site of Schenectady
The site of Schenectady was bought of the Indians by Van Curler in 1661 and a patent granted 1690. Union College was chartered in 1795. The city was incorporated in 1798 and in 1831 became the western terminus of the Mohawk and Hudson Railroad. . . . — Map (db m58551) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Thomas Edison Arrived at Schenectady
At this site Thomas Edison arrived at Schenectady Aug. 20, 1886 to found his Machine Works which in 1892 became the General Electric Company. — Map (db m4337) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Yates House
Reputed Oldest House In City. Typical Early 18th Century Home Of Abraham Yates — Map (db m14804) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Maalwyck
This House Built Ca. 1712 By Karel Hansel Toll, Who Settled Here 1685. Broom Farm Became an Outpost Of Mohawk Valley Turnpike. — Map (db m95599) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Blenheim — Captain Jacob Hager
Schoharie County Militia October 20, 1775 Served In Schoharie And Mohawk Valleys Throughout The Revolution Commanded Expedition Against Brant Defended Upper Fort Against Sir John Johnson in 1780 Died May 21 1819 Aged 85 Years . . . — Map (db m62729) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Carlisle — Carlisle Grove Seminary
Site Of ------> Carlisle Grove Seminary Erected 1852. Closed 1865. One of Six Early Boarding Schools in Schoharie County — Map (db m89319) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Rock-House
Rock-House Where Peter Young took his wife for safety when attacked by Indians during the Revolution — Map (db m48403) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Gallupville — Becker Stone House
Built 1772 The Tory, Crysler, with a band of Indians gave battle on July 26, 1782 — Map (db m32187) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Site of Battle
»→ Between Schoharie militia under Capt. Jacob Hagar of Upper Fort and Indians and Tories under Chief Brant, Nov. 2, 1781. — Map (db m62848) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Burial Place
← Timothy Murphy Revolutionary War Hero Gov. William C. Bouck, Gov. N.Y. State 1843, 1844 In Middleburgh Cemetery — Map (db m65688) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Blenheim Bridge
Longest single span wooden bridge in world. Built by Blenheim Bridge Company, Incorporated 1828. Last of its kind in this region. — Map (db m46984) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Old Central Bridge — Birthplace of George Westinghouse
Birthplace Of George Westinghouse 1846 - 1914 Inventor of the Westinghouse Air Brake — Map (db m54617) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — David Williams Memorial
Facing Fort Road (Southeast Side): Here rests the remains of David Williams, One of the Captors of Major Andre. Died in Schoharie County August 2nd, 1831 Aged 76 years 6 m's 8 days. He with his . . . — Map (db m52527) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Schoharie Free Movies
Site of First Known Free Open-Air Motion Picture Presentations Thursday, June 7, 1917 To Sept. And Each Summer Until Sept. 1930 (See Reverse Side) Sponsored By The Schoharie Board Of Trade Reverse Side: Site Of . . . — Map (db m101958) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Stone Church Parsonage
The First Home of Rev. Johannis Schuyler, Pastor of the Old Church Fortress For 31 Years. — Map (db m51311) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sloansville — Indian Stone Heap
Site of Indian Stone Heap Known to have existed in 1753. Route taken by Sir John Johnson from Schoharie to Mohawk Valley led past this monument — Map (db m36899) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sloansville — Site Of Encampment
Site Of Encampment Of Joseph Brant, Indians, Sir John Johnson & Regu- Lars, On Oct. 17, 1780 After Raiding Schoharie & Destroying Kniskerns Dorf — Map (db m31945) HM
New York (Steuben County), Hammondsport — Larger Than Life — The Glenn H. Curtiss Heritage Trail — 1878-1930
1878-1930 This modest cemetery is the final resting place of Hammondsport native Glenn Hammond Curtiss, an American hero. Glenn Curtiss was a man who liked to go fast. His personal quest for speed began with building and racing bicycles . . . — Map (db m70029) HM
New York (Ulster County), Modena — Newburgh Area — Historic New York
Palatine German refugees from the religious wars of Europe settled on these river banks in 1709, and Dutch and French Huguenots followed. During the Revolution, control of the Hudson River was important for British strategy and for American defense. . . . — Map (db m48669) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Bevier House
Built by Louis Bevier, the patentee, in 1698. Elting homestead from 1740. This house has an interesting sub-cellar. — Map (db m5722) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Deyo House
Built by Pierre Deyo, one of twelve original patentees of New Paltz, in 1692. — Map (db m5712) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Die Pfalz
A French Huguenot Village governed by "The Dusine", a body of 12 men chosen annually. For 100 years the only form of government. — Map (db m5709) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Freer House
Built 1720 by Hugo Freer, one of twelve original patentees of New Paltz. The Low House after 1732. — Map (db m5726) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Hasbrouck House
Built 1712, by Abraham, the patentee, once soldier in English Army, friend of Gov. Andros. Kitchen scene of cock fights. — Map (db m5728) HM
New York (Ulster County), New Paltz — Stone Church-1773
First Stone Church, 1717. Services in French to 1753, Dutch language to 1800. Church corner stone seen at south wall of portico. — Map (db m5732) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — Garnar Tannery
Started in 1867 On Wells Creek By Raymond & Ely. Purchased in 1868 By Thomas Garner & Co., Book Binding & Leather Tanned. Closed in 1909. Chimney Still Standing. — Map (db m99971) HM
New York (Warren County), North Creek — Barton Mines
In 1878, Henry Hudson Barton's search for a better abrasive brought him to Gore Mountain, where he discovered a unique hard rock source of garnet. Barton's find turned out to be the world's highest quality industrial garnet and it has dominated the . . . — Map (db m41377) HM
New York (Warren County), North Creek — Theodore Roosevelt — A Great New Yorker
"At the dawn of another century, we recall Theodore Roosevelt's energetic life and populist legacy with admiration and affection. His twenty-four months as governor was a defining period, an impressive dress rehearsal of sorts, for one of the . . . — Map (db m41378) HM
New York (Washington County), Buskirk — Buskirk's Red Covered Bridge
Buskirk's Red Covered Bridge Rehabilitated in 2004.Built Circa 1850 to Replace A Previous Bridge Built in 1804. This Crossing Served The Great Northern Turnpike Beginning In 1799. — Map (db m13751) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — NY-11½ — Gen. Henry Knox Trail
Through this place passed Gen. Henry Knox in the winter of 1775-1776 to deliver to Gen. George Washington at Cambridge the train of artillery from Fort Ticonderoga used to force the British Army to evacuate Boston Erected by The State of New York . . . — Map (db m9785) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Old Pennsylvania Railroad Station
Harrisburg grew from its earliest days due to its strategic location as a gateway to western expansion, becoming one of the most important inland centers of U.S. transportation and trade. The development of rail lines along the same routes as the . . . — Map (db m6687) HM
Pennsylvania (Fulton County), Fort Littleton — Fort Lyttelton
Begun in 1755 by George Croghan, named by Governor Morris after Sir George Lyttelton, then the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Garrisoned variously by Provincial and regular troops, as well as local volunteers in 1763. By 1764 it was reported in ruins. — Map (db m19519) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Obisonia — Bedford Furnace
First iron furnace in the Juniata region. Famous as a center for making quality charcoal iron. Located on Black Log Creek below its junction with Shade Creek. Completed about 1786. — Map (db m44766) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Rockhill Furnace — East Broad Top Railroad
East Broad Top Railroad Has Been Designated A Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provisions of The Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value In Commemorating and Illustrating . . . — Map (db m32389) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Vermont's Colonial Shrine — Vermont Legislature Joint Resolution December 11, 1935
Whereas, the Old First Church of Bennington was organized December 3, 1762, and is the Oldest Church within the present limits of Vermont; and Whereas, our forefathers met in Prayer in the First Meeting House for assistance against the . . . — Map (db m28223) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Bennington Battle Monument
On August 16, 1777, British forces sent by Gen'l Burgoyne to seize supplies at Bennington were turned back by New Englanders under Gen'l John Stark and Vermont's Col. Seth Warner. This 306 foot commemorative shaft planned 100 years later, was . . . — Map (db m13600) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — No. 3 — Capture of Harpers Ferry — No. 3
September 15, 1862 No. 3 Col. Dixon S. Miles, Second U. S. Infantry, commanded the Union forces at Harpers Ferry. After Gen. White joined from Martinsburg, September 12 and Col. Ford from Maryland Heights on the 13th, Miles had about 14,200 . . . — Map (db m2914) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Harpers Ferry — No. 5 — Capture of Harpers Ferry — No. 5
September 15, 1862 No. 5 Capture of Harpers Ferry September 15, 1862 No. 5 At daylight, September 15, three Batteries of Jackson's Division delivered a severe fire against the right of the Bolivar Heights defense. Ewell's Batteries opened from . . . — Map (db m2922) HM

681 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 481
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.