Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

683 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 483
 
Birthplace of the Republican Party Marker image, Touch for more information
By Keith L, October 28, 2007
Birthplace of the Republican Party Marker
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-657 — John Christo, Senior
(side A) Built in 1927 by A.A. Payne, a banker, and bought by John Christo, Sr., the house is significant in architecture, a mixture of styles typical of the late 19th and early 20th centuries which includes Neo-Colonial Revival and . . . — Map (db m42117) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-603 — St. Andrew(s) School
The first school in St. Andrew, a community established ca. 1827, was built in 1850. That building burned down. The second school was a two-story wooden structure with two large rooms on each floor. The school had four teachers and 100 students. In . . . — Map (db m42116) HM
Florida (Bay County), Panama City — F-479 — The Gideon Versus Wainwright Case
This is the site of the landmark Gideon case, after which the Public Defender system was established in Florida and throughout the nation. In 1961, Clarence Earl Gideon (1910-1972) stood trial in this courthouse for the felony of burglary. Lacking . . . — Map (db m42115) HM
Florida (Bay County), Parker — F-459 — Site of Loftin's Ferry
Loftin’s Ferry, on Pitts Avenue, which later became Parker, was an important part of the major land route called the “Military Road” that ran from Apalachicola through St. Joseph to Marianna and beyond. This road, constructed from 1836 . . . — Map (db m42114) HM
Florida (Charlotte County), Punta Gorda — Site of Hotel Punta Gorda
Hotel Punta Gorda, one the first buildings of any kind constructed in Punta Gorda, opened in January 1888 and served over 3300 guests within its first season. The three story building contained 150 rooms, all with a view of the waters of Charlotte . . . — Map (db m32408) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay Hotel
On June 14, 1898, Lt. Col. Theodore Roosevelt and the First United States Volunteer Cavalry, known as the Rough Riders, embarked from Port Tampa for victory in the Spanish-American War. The Tampa Bay Hotel was used as headquarters for . . . — Map (db m20160) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay Hotel, 1891The University of Tampa, 1933
This former grand old resort hotel, a seat of culture and education, has been the proud symbol of Tampa since 1891. Erected by The University of Tampa Class of 1991, on the occasion of the centennial of the building, this marker is a . . . — Map (db m20063) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Town of Manatee
Side A The Town of Manatee was officially chartered on June 19, 1903. This intersection of Central Street (present day 9th Street East) and Manatee Avenue became the heart of the town’s business district after the arrival of the Florida West . . . — Map (db m32409) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — F-499 — Harding Circle Historic District
In 1923 circus magnate John N. Ringling (1866-1936) purchased St. Armands Key, an uninhabited, 150-acre, oval shaped island. He planned a community of fine residences with a central circle park surrounded by shops. The park was named in memory of . . . — Map (db m32407) HM
Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.2 — Greek Orthodox Church
Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church of Indianapolis was located here at 231 North West Street from 1919-1959. The Church, incorporated 1910, now located at 4011 North Pennsylvania Street, has also preserved customs and language of extensive Greek . . . — Map (db m4614) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5972 — Majestic Theatre
Constructed in 1928, at a cost of $3,000,000 this structure was designed by John Eberson for Karl Hoblitzelle, owner of the interstate theatre chain. Chiefly Spanish Colonial Revival in design, its eclectic features include paired columns supporting . . . — Map (db m30605) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5116 — Stevens Building
One of the finest remaining structures in San Antonio's late 19th-century commercial district, this building was designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style by James Riely Gordon (1864-1937) and was completed in 1891. Over the years the first . . . — Map (db m30593) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 5135 — The Storming of BexarVicinity of — (December 5-9, 1835)
First of four major engagements of the War for Texas Independence, this sanguinary battle ended a siege of six weeks. The assault began at dawn, Dec. 5. 300 volunteers (Texans, Mexicans, and Americans) under Cols. Frank W. Johnson and Benjamin R. . . . — Map (db m30211) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Cornucopia — 28 — Tragedy of The Siskiwit
Once upon a time, according to an old Indian legend, the sand beach on the east side of this bay was a favorite camping ground. One spring a few lodges of Chippewa from La Pointe encamped here. When their chief, Bi-aus-wah, returned from the hunt, . . . — Map (db m30843) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Herbster — 522 — "The Gym"
When the community sought funding for a new gymnasium and town hall, they looked to the Work Progress Administration, a depression-era program, which utilized local materials and labor to create jobs for unemployed workers. Architect Roland C. Buck . . . — Map (db m36553) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Port Wing — 145 — School Consolidation
As the 20th century began, logging operations were in full swing in this area and the small log schoolhouses could not handle the increasing number of students. Some classes were held in churches but additional facilities were needed. T.N. . . . — Map (db m30845) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Washburn — 49 — Madeline Island
To the east is Madeline Island, known to the Ojibway as Moning-wunakauning, “The Home of the Golden Breasted Woodpecker.” The French soldier Pierre le Sueur built his post there in 1693. In 1718 a fort was erected which remained France’s . . . — Map (db m30844) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Columbus — Columbus Public Library
The Prairie Style Library was designed by Louis W. Claude (former associate of Louis Sullivan) and Edward F. Starck of Madison, Wisconsin, and built with funding from Andrew Carnegie and the Columbus Women's Club. The library was dedicated November . . . — Map (db m28344) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 202 — North Hall
The first building erected by the University of Wisconsin-Madison was North Hall, opened as North Dormitory for men on September 17, 1851. It was built of Madison sandstone at a cost of $19,000. Initially, the first three floors housed from 50 to 65 . . . — Map (db m31583) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 37 — State Historical Society
Dedicated to the conservation, advancement and dissemination of the American heritage, the Society was founded in 1846, chartered in 1853. Legislative support, the first bestowed in any state, began in 1854; the Society became a state agency in . . . — Map (db m31582) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 397 — Third Lake Passage
On July 20th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Black Hawk led about 700 Sac, Fox and Kickapoo Indians past this point and through the “Third Lake Passage,” the juncture of the Yahara River and Lake Monona. By sunset, the military also . . . — Map (db m31777) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Town of Albion — 95 — Albion Academy
Albion Academy and Normal Institute, chartered in 1853 and opened in 1854, on land donated by Jesse Saunders, was founded and operated by Northwestern Seventh Day Baptist Association until 1894; by Peter Hendrickson, former Beloit College professor, . . . — Map (db m40436) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Town of Albion — 16 — Sterling North
Sterling North, internationally known author of best seller Rascal and 31 other books, was born in the town of Albion on the shores of Lake Koshkonong in 1906. His father, David, attended the Albion Academy. Sterling graduated from Edgerton . . . — Map (db m40433) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Beaver Dam — 109 — Wayland Hall
Begun in 1855 and first named College Hall, this was the original building of Wayland University, founded by the Wisconsin Baptist Educational Society. Until 1889 it was the only building and housed faculty, students and all activities of the . . . — Map (db m38572) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Lomira — 301 — World War II
More than 330,000 Wisconsin residents, including 9,000 women, served in the armed forces between December 7, 1941, and the surrender of Japan on September 2, 1945. They participated in every theater of war and in virtually every major campaign, from . . . — Map (db m37976) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — Hollenstein Wagon and Carriage Factory
The building occupied by the Mayville Historical Society Museum was built by John J. Hollenstein, Sr., as his home, wagon and carriage factory. Born in St. Gallen, Switzerland, in 1842; he married Dominica Zuest and emigrated to the United States in . . . — Map (db m36917) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — 98 — The Mayville White Limestone School Building
The North half was built in 1857-58 and the South extension was added in 1877. This school made it possible to classify the pupils and three departments were established. E.J. Foster was the first teacher. This handsome building has withstood the . . . — Map (db m36918) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Mayville — 193 — Wisconsin’s First Iron Smelter
Mayville was founded in 1845 by Alvin and William Foster and Chester and S.P. May. Iron ore was discovered by these men approximately four miles south of Mayville. A quantity of the ore was taken to the nearest iron smelter in Mishawaka, Indiana, in . . . — Map (db m36919) HM
Wisconsin (Dodge County), Theresa — 345 — Solomon Juneau House
Born in 1793, Solomon Juneau, a French Canadian agent for the American Fur Company and founder of the City of Milwaukee, established one of his outlying trading posts in this vicinity along the east branch of the Rock River in the early 1830s. He . . . — Map (db m36920) HM
Wisconsin (Douglas County), Solon Springs — Brule-St. Croix Portage
Approximately one mile northeast of this point, a continental divide separates the watersheds of the Brule and St. Croix Rivers. The Brule flows north to Lake Superior and the St. Croix flows southerly to the Mississippi. A time worn trail connects . . . — Map (db m23482) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Auburn — 539 — Haskell Noyes Memorial Woods
This scientific area preserved in natural condition for future generations is symbolic of the spirit of Haskell Noyes of Milwaukee (1886-1948) - one of Wisconsin's foremost conservationist's. Leader of citizen action for outdoor programs featuring . . . — Map (db m35203) HM
Wisconsin (Fond du Lac County), Ripon — 135 — Birthplace of Republican Party
In 1852 Alvan Earle Bovay of Ripon met with Horace Greeley in New York and advocated dissolution of the Whig Party and formation of a new party to fuse together anti-slavery elements. At the same time he suggested the name "Republican" because he . . . — Map (db m3225) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — 314 — Iron Mining in Wisconsin
Although iron mining in Wisconsin had its beginnings in Sauk, Dodge and Jackson counties in the southern part of the state in the 1850’s, discoveries of vast new deposits shifted the focus to northern Wisconsin in 1880. The major iron mining area . . . — Map (db m30849) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Hurley — This 5 ½ Foot Diameter Drill Core
This 5 ½ foot diameter drill core came from the Cary Mine shaft from a depth of 2400 feet below the surface. The shaft was drilled during the period 1942-44 from surface to the 31st level and was later enlarged to its full size of 13X21 feet. . . . — Map (db m36838) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — George W. SullivanTeacher
The son of Irish immigrant parents was born in New York July 5, 1882. After graduating from the U. of New York he ventured to Montreal in 1906 when the town and iron ore mining were in their infancies. He served as a teacher and Principal at the OLD . . . — Map (db m40933) HM
Wisconsin (Iron County), Montreal — 77 — The City of MontrealSite of the World’s Deepest Iron Mine
The City of Montreal, incorporated in 1924, known for a short time as the Village of Hamilton, is a combination of the communities of Montreal and Gile. Gile, on the river, was the center of the area’s timber industries. The largest, the . . . — Map (db m40932) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Aztalan — Pioneer Aztalan
Pioneer Aztalan was settled in 1836 by Thomas Brayton and others at the junction of the Milwaukee-Mineral Point and Janesville-Fond du Lac territorial roads. By 1837 Aztalan had Jefferson County's first post office and by 1842 was its leading . . . — Map (db m37023) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Johnson Creek — 94th Combat Infantry Division
Northern France Rhineland • Ardennes Central Europe THIS MONUMENT IS A TRIBUTE TO THE MEN OF THE 94TH INFANTRY DIVISION WWII In recognition of the outstanding war record of the 94th. The State of Wisconsin designated this monument to be . . . — Map (db m37217) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Johnson Creek — 313 — In Service to Their Country
Wisconsin contributed significantly to the military activities of the United States since it became a state in 1848. During the Civil War, for instance, Wisconsin made a major contribution to support the Union. About 50% of Wisconsin’s adult male . . . — Map (db m37216) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 257 — Drumlins
This is glaciated country. Here, as you approach the western edge of Wisconsin’s kettle moraine, you see many land features created by glacial ice some 15,000 years ago. Among the most interesting of these are long, oval hills known as drumlins. . . . — Map (db m37215) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Lake Mills — 515 — Princess Burial Mound
Ancient people built this mound to mark a young woman's grave. The mound was the last in a line that once bordered the western side of the ancient community of Aztalan and the only one that contained a burial. Her community placed the young woman on . . . — Map (db m35479) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Waterloo — 80 — The Island Church
Built in 1863, St. Wenceslaus Church served families who came chiefly from Bohemia and Germany. The little church, significant in Wisconsin’s architectural heritage, closed in 1891. It still opens for special Masses. — Map (db m37705) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 74 — First Kindergarten
The first kindergarten in the United States was founded by Margarethe Meyer Schurz in this building in 1856. Moved to the present site and restored in 1956 by the Watertown Historical Society. — Map (db m35450) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 519 — Milwaukee Street Bridge
One of the nation’s most innovative bridge designers of the 20th century, Daniel B. Luten, designed the Milwaukee Street Bridge. Constructed in 1930 by Eau Claire Engineering, the bridge was a rare example of a steel-reinforced, three span, . . . — Map (db m35452) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 59 — Octagon House
This 8 sided five story house of solid brick construction was built in the early 1850s by pioneer John Richards. It is the best example in Wisconsin of an unusual architectural design which was in vogue briefly before the Civil War. It was claimed . . . — Map (db m35454) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — Plank Road Pioneer Barn
This barn was built by an early settler in 1853 was used by regional farmers driving cattle to the Milwaukee market over the Milwaukee-Watertown Plank Road. It was moved from the Plank road area east of the Rock River to this site in 1963 and . . . — Map (db m35451) HM
Wisconsin (Jefferson County), Watertown — 409 — Trail Discovery
On July 18th, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, Little Thunder – a Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indian guide to the U.S. Militia – discovered Black Hawk’s Band crossed the Rock River in this vicinity. After receiving the news, Gen. James D. . . . — Map (db m35453) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Elroy — 252 — Elroy – Sparta State Trail
This 32 mile state trail was formerly the mainline of the Chicago and North Western Railway. The conversion from “rail to trail” represented a new concept in recreational development. Utilizing the abandoned railbed, it was the first . . . — Map (db m18708) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 473 — Auto Production in Kenosha
Thomas B. Jeffery purchased the 1895 Sterling Bicycle Factory and pioneered Kenosha’s auto industry in 1900. His company was an industry leader, creating the second mass produced auto in 1902. Jeffery was the first auto manufacturer to make all . . . — Map (db m38570) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 118 — First Congregational ChurchOne-hundredth Anniversary — 1874-1974
This historical landmark is dedicated to the worship of God, and to the promotion of Christian knowledge and charity Chris George Builder Kenosha Landmarks Commission Kenosha County Historical Society — Map (db m38117) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 110 — Gilbert M. Simmons Memorial Library
Dedicated May 30, 1900 This library building a gift of Zalmon G. Simmons to the citizens of Kenosha as a memorial to his son Gilbert M. Simmons (1852-1890) His vision and generosity were appreciated by the pioneer town he believed in and . . . — Map (db m38118) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 465 — John McCaffery Burial Site
John McCaffary was hanged in Kenosha on August 21, 1851, for the murder of his wife and buried here in an unmarked grave. Public outrage over his execution resulted in legislation that abolished the death penalty in Wisconsin on July 12, 1853. — Map (db m38121) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 249 — Kemper Hall
Kemper Hall, boarding school for girls, dates to 1855 when St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church and some dedicated Kenosha citizens signed a charter launching the Kenosha Female Seminary. In 1865, the school moved to this site, the home of U.S. Senator . . . — Map (db m38122) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 475 — Reuben Deming
Deming was born in Vermont in 1789 and came to the Village of Southport, later renamed Kenosha, in 1836. Deming was a Methodist preacher and a staunch supporter of the anti-slavery movement. For Methodists, slavery was considered the worst of social . . . — Map (db m38119) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Paris — 420 — Schaefer Mammoth Site
Over 12,000 years ago, Native Americans slaughtered a Northern Woolly Mammoth in a small lake near this site. Between 1992-93, the Kenosha Public Museum excavated the site and concluded that the woolly mammoth stood at 11 feet and weighed 14,000 . . . — Map (db m38569) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 305 — Cordelia A.P. Harvey
Wisconsin women rallied to support the Union during the Civil War. They became nurses, hospital matrons, sanitary agents, and ministers. Cordelia A. Perrine Harvey attained national prominence for her role in promoting convalescent aid for sick and . . . — Map (db m36392) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 219 — The Name “Wisconsin”
In 1673, thirty-nine years after Jean Nicolet visited the Green Bay area, Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet set out from New France to explore the Mississippi River. They traveled from the Straits of Mackinac between lakes Huron and . . . — Map (db m36671) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 71 — Thirty-second Division Memorial Highway
The 32nd Division was organized in 1917. Originally it was made up of National Guardsmen from Wisconsin and Michigan. World War I: Fought in Alsace, Aisne-Marne, Olse-Aisne and Meuse-Argonne Offensives. Vanquished 23 German Divisions. Served in . . . — Map (db m36339) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Salem — 503 — Brass Ball Corners
In the 1800’s, before assigning names to roads was a common practice, intersections were often given names to identify communities and places of interest.

The trail through Brass Ball Corners started at Lake Michigan and went west through Lake . . . — Map (db m38571) HM

Wisconsin (La Crosse County), West Salem — 349 — Village of Neshonoc
The nearby limestone grist mill and dam are the remnants of what once was a mid-19th century village located at this site. Vermont millwright and speculator Monroe Palmer purchased fifteen acres of land on the La Crosse River and constructed the dam . . . — Map (db m23417) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 251 — Winnebago Trail
Many modern highways follow routes marked out long ago by Indian people. The Winnebago Trail across central Wisconsin became the general course of Highways 151 from Manitowoc to Fond du Lac, 45 from Fond du Lac to Oshkosh, 21 from Oshkosh to . . . — Map (db m32499) HM
Wisconsin (Marathon County), Wausau — 274 — First Workers' Compensation Law
The Wisconsin Workmen's Compensation Act of 1911 assured victims of work-relat­ed accidents or illnesses just compensation regardless of fault. With this law, enact­ed on May 3, 1911, Wisconsin became the first state to have a constitutional system . . . — Map (db m17859) HM
Wisconsin (Marinette County), Coleman — 477 — Lena Road Schoolhouse
Constructed in 1911, Lena Road School is one of the few remaining intact one-room schoolhouses in Marinette County. The school grounds feature the original privies and an early hand water pump. For over fifty years, local farming families . . . — Map (db m39248) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Franklin — 41 Twin Outdoor Theatre
The 41 Twin Outdoor Theatre, the second drive-in built in Wisconsin, occupied this site from July 1, 1948 until September 16, 2001. The 41 Twin was one of a handful of outdoor theaters throughout the United States to make use of a double-sided . . . — Map (db m35836) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greendale — 196 — Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin(1835-1906)
Born in Detroit to Irish immigrant parents, Curtin came to Milwaukee in 1837 to join his mother’s family the Furlongs and settle on a farm in Greenfield. In the 1840’s the Curtins moved into this typically Irish stone house described in Curtin’s . . . — Map (db m34760) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greendale — 460 — Village of Greendale
Greendale was one of three Greenbelt towns constructed during the 1930’s. The main objectives were to demonstrate a planning concept combining the best of country and city living, to provide good housing for low income families, and to create . . . — Map (db m33210) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greendale — 279 — Wisconsin's Lime Industry
Lime production was an important nineteenth century industry in southeastern Wisconsin, primarily because the region’s geology provided abundant Silurian dolomite rock that was easily quarried. High quality lime, used mainly in mortar and plaster, . . . — Map (db m37508) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 1992 NASCAR Champion
Alan Kulwicki was born in Greenfield, WI on Dec. 14, 1954, son of Jerry and Thelma Kulwicki. Alan held an engineering degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Alan started out on the short tracks of Wisconsin, moved up to ASA, then on . . . — Map (db m37506) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 93 — Bodamer Log Cabin
Built in 1832, this was one of Greenfield’s first log cabins. It was dismantled, brought to this site and restored by the Greenfield Historical Society, and dedicated as a museum September 7, 1969. — Map (db m32842) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 524 — Cold Spring Road
Side A In 1836, surveyors working for the U.S. General Land Office measured out the 6x6 mile grid of the future Town of Greenfield. Arterial roads and streets were later built at half-mile intervals following that pattern. In the days before . . . — Map (db m35083) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 341 — Greenfield: The Last Town in Milwaukee County
Following the end of World War II, Milwaukee’s rapid urban development forced the seven rural towns of Milwaukee County into annexation or incorporation. When Greenfield incorporated as a city in 1957, the last of Milwaukee County’s towns . . . — Map (db m34761) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 448 — Janesville Plank Road
Side A: The Janesville Plank Road was one of 16 privately-owned toll roads authorized by Wisconsin’s Territorial legislature in 1848. The road was specified to follow a 65 mile route from Milwaukee through East Troy to Janesville. Its . . . — Map (db m33355) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — At the State Fair on these Grounds
. . . — Map (db m37602) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 372 — Bay View’s Immigrants
From a quiet mid 19th–century farming community to a bustling industrial center along Kinninckinnic Avenue in only twenty years, Bay View’s industrial transformation could not have occurred without the contributions of hundreds of immigrant . . . — Map (db m34803) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of the American League
The Republican House, a hotel that stood on this site from 1886 to 1961, was the birthplace of baseball’s American League. On the night of March 5, 1900, Milwaukee attorney Henry Killilea, his brother Matt, Connie Mack, Byron (Ban) Johnson, and . . . — Map (db m30351) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of the Department of Wisconsin American Legion1919 - 1937
. . . — Map (db m40442) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Borchert Field/The Milwaukee Bears Negro National League 1923
Borchert Field Borchert Field, home to Milwaukee professional baseball for over 60 years, was located between W. Burleigh, W. Chambers, N. 7th, and N. 8th Streets. Known originally as Athletic Park when it opened on May 20, 1888, the ballpark . . . — Map (db m35200) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Brig. Gen. Rufus King’s Home
Built in 1838, the general’s 2-story wooden house on the northeast corner of Mason and Van Buren lent this intersection the name “King’s Corner.” It was razed in 1915. Rufus King (1814-1876) came to Milwaukee in 1845, was editor of the . . . — Map (db m38787) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 311 — Captain Frederick Pabst(1836 – 1904)
Of German birth, Pabst became a ship's captain in the 1850s and moved to Milwaukee in the 1860s. He later joined his father-in-law's brewery (founded 1844), which was renamed the Pabst Brewery in 1889. By the 1890s it was the world's largest lager . . . — Map (db m8306) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Carferry SS MilwaukeeHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: railroad carferry, steel hull Built: 1903, American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio Sank: October 22, 1929 Lives Lost: 40-50 Length: 388’ Beam: 56’ Cargo: train cars (loaded), tubs, mixed freight, 3 automobiles Propulsion: triple . . . — Map (db m42299) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 265 — Carl Frederick ZeidlerJanuary 4, 1908 – November 7, 1942
Milwaukee born and educated, lawyer Carl F. Zeidler became Milwaukee’s 33rd mayor in April, 1940, when he defeated Daniel W. Hoan, Socialist mayor since 1916. In April, 1942, Zeidler left office to enter service as a U.S. Navy Lieutenant (j.g.). On . . . — Map (db m37268) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 206 — Carl Sandburg Hall
Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), poet, balladeer, biographer of Lincoln, soldier in the Spanish-American War, came from Illinois to Wisconsin in December 1907 as a state organizer for the Social-Democratic party in eastern Wisconsin. After marrying . . . — Map (db m32619) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 288 — Civil War Camp
Near here a Civil War training camp was built in August 1861. Named Camp Holton, Camp Sigel and finally Camp Reno, its boundaries were Prospect and Bartlett Avenues and Lafayette and Royall Places. Six Wisconsin infantry regiments, almost 7,000 men, . . . — Map (db m37272) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 103 — Father Marquette's Camp - 1674
Father Jacques Marquette, the French Jesuit missionary who with Sieur Louis Jolliet discovered and first explored the upper Mississippi in 1673, stayed on this site November 23-27, 1674. Marquette, with two French Canadians, Pierre Porteret and . . . — Map (db m30169) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 293 — First African-American Church Built in Wisconsin
St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal Church, the first African-American church built in Wisconsin, once stood on this site. The property was purchased in 1869, the year the congregation was organized. Construction on the St. Mark A.M.E. church began . . . — Map (db m35201) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — First Court House
. . . — Map (db m32744) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 131 — First Milwaukee Cargo Pier
Near here, at the foot of Huron (now Clybourn) Street, the first cargo pier in Milwaukee harbor was built by Horatio Stevens, Richard Owens, Amos Tufts and J.G. Kendall during the winter of 1842-43. The first vessel to dock at North Pier was the . . . — Map (db m31137) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 221 — General Mitchell Field
On October 29, 1926, Milwaukee County purchased the flying field which Thomas Hamilton had established in 1920 on East Layton Avenue in connection with his propeller business. Northwest Airways inaugurated scheduled passenger service here on July 5, . . . — Map (db m38870) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 256 — Golda Meir1898-1978
The UWM Library is named for Golda Meir. Born Goldie Mabowehz in the Ukraine, she migrated to Milwaukee in 1906, was educated at Fourth Street School, North Division High School, and in present Mitchell Hall of Milwaukee Normal School (1916-17). She . . . — Map (db m32664) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 43 — Invention of the Typewriter
At 318 State Street, approximately 300 feet northeast of here, C. Latham Sholes perfected the first practical typewriter in September, 1869. Here he worked during the summer with Carlos Glidden, Samuel W. Soule, & Matthias Schwalbach in the machine . . . — Map (db m31124) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 333 — Kilbourntown
In this vicinity, Kilbourntown, one of the three original Milwaukee settlements, was founded by surveyor and land speculator Byron Kilbourn in 1835. Kilbourntown’s first residents were entrepreneurs from the East. In 1839, a small group of German . . . — Map (db m37262) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 254 — MacArthur Square
MacArthur Square was designated on September 17, 1945 to honor General of the Army Douglas MacArthur for his leadership of Allied forces in the Pacific during World War II. MacArthur, his father General Arthur MacArthur, and his grandfather Judge . . . — Map (db m32194) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 354 — Merrill Park
In 1879, Sherburn S. Merrill, the General Manager of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad, purchased almost half a square mile in the Menomonee Valley to construct a massive railroad shop complex. By the early 1880s, the railroad company . . . — Map (db m34802) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 147 — Milwaukee-Downer College
On September 14, 1848, Mrs. William L. Parsons, the wife of a Congregational minister, opened the Milwaukee Female Seminary at the corner of Milwaukee and East Wells. Three years later it was chartered by the Legislature, thus placing Wisconsin in . . . — Map (db m32667) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 214 — North Point Lighthouse
Milwaukee’s first lighthouse was erected in 1837 on a 56 foot bluff at the east end of Wisconsin Ave. It was replaced in 1855 by a 28 foot tower 100 feet east of the present location. Erosion forced the rebuilding in the 1870’s and relocation . . . — Map (db m34766) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 201 — Old North Point Water Tower
The 1871 Wisconsin legislature authorized the City of Milwaukee to finance and build a public water system. By 1873 the Board of Water Commissioners had constructed the old North Point Pumping Station below the bluff with intake from Lake Michigan, . . . — Map (db m34765) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 309 — Pabst Theater
Designed by Otto Strack and built by Milwaukee brewing magnate Captain Frederick Pabst, the Pabst Theater was constructed on the site of an earlier opera house destroyed by fire in 1895. The Pabst was completed in just six months and opened on . . . — Map (db m32367) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Pere Marquette Historic Site
Designated as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in 1972, commemorating the place where Father Marquette, French Jesuit missionary, explorer of the Mississippi Valley and Lake Michigan, camped with two companions on November 23-27, 1674. — Map (db m36366) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 463 — Rescue of Joshua Glover
Joshua Glover was a runaway slave who sought freedom in Racine in 1852. In 1854, his Missouri owner used the Fugitive Slave Act to apprehend him. This 1850 law permitted slave catchers to cross state lines to captured escaped slaves. Glover was . . . — Map (db m33013) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 155 — Saint John's InfirmaryWisconsin’s First Public Hospital – 1848
Founded May 15, 1848, with the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul providing direction and nursing, St. John’s Infirmary offered Wisconsin’s first public hospital care under the supervision of the patient’s physician. (Prior institutions . . . — Map (db m37314) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 327 — Sinking of the Lady Elgin
The loss of the sidewheel steamship Lady Elgin was one of Lake Michigan’s most tragic maritime disasters. On September 8th, 1860, the ship, returning to Milwaukee from Chicago, sank following a collision nine miles off Winnetka, Illinois. . . . — Map (db m37263) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 74 — St. Josaphat Basilica
This magnificent Temple of God is a monument of faith, erected by Polish immigrants at the close of the nineteenth century. Raised to the dignity of a Minor Basilica by Pope Pius XI, it was the third church to be so honored in the United States. Its . . . — Map (db m32839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 476 — The Cream City
Milwaukee is known as “The Cream City” not because of dairies or breweries, but because of its historic pale yellow brick buildings constructed throughout the 19th century. These buildings are a distinctive “cream” color . . . — Map (db m32741) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 308 — The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee’s State Normal School, which was founded in 1885 on the city’s west side to train teachers, relocated in 1909 to this building, Mitchell Hall, then located on 11–1/2 acres. Designed by Van Ryn and de Gelleke, expanded in 1912, and . . . — Map (db m32666) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Turner Hall
Designed by Henry C. Koch, erected in 1882-83, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural, cultural, and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m40942) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 36 — Watertown Plank Road
Started in 1848 and completed in 1853, extended 58 miles west from Milwaukee on a course roughly paralleling State Street past the Frederick Miller Plank Road Brewery through Wauwatosa, Pewaukee, and Oconomowoc to Watertown. The $110,000 road of . . . — Map (db m31123) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 284 — Wisconsin's Oldest NewspaperThe Milwaukee Sentinel
The Milwaukee Sentinel has chronicled the events of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the world longer than any other newspaper in the state. Founded as a weekly on June 27, 1837 by Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee’s first mayor, the Sentinel was first published . . . — Map (db m32369) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Oak Creek — Schooner LumbermanHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden schooner, three-masted Built: 1862, Hilyne C. Litchfield, Blendon’s Landing, Mich.; Rebuilt 1889 Sank: April 7, 1892 Length: 126’ Beam 23’ Cargo: Lumber, wood products Depth: 60’ Four miles offshore from this spot, 60 . . . — Map (db m42300) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 446 — Lueddemann’s-On-The-River
This park played a key role in Shorewood’s development. In 1872, Frederick A. Lueddemann opened Lueddemann’s-On-The-River on this site in the Town of Milwaukee. Otto Zwietusch bought the resort in 1876 and renamed it Mineral Springs Park. . . . — Map (db m30250) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 366 — Shorewood Armory
The Shorewood Armory, once located near Capitol Drive and Oakland Avenue, was home to the cavalry unit of the Wisconsin National Guard from 1910 to 1930. Originally called the Light Horse Squadron, the cavalry drilled their horses on the thirty-acre . . . — Map (db m30247) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 367 — Shorewood High School
A forerunner in secondary school design, Shorewood High School is modeled on a university campus plan. Constructed between 1924 and 1938 by Milwaukee architects Herbst and Kuenzli, the school includes separate buildings for administration, physical . . . — Map (db m30248) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 368 — Shorewood Village Hall
Shorewood Village Hall was built in 1908 as a four-room school to serve Shorewood, then called East Milwaukee. In 1915 this building became the seat of village government. The building was extensively remodeled in 1937 with Works Progress . . . — Map (db m30249) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — Steamer AppomattoxHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden bulk carrier Built: 1896, Davidson Shipyard, West Bay City, Mich. Sank: November 2, 1905, stranded Length: 319’ Beam: 42’ Cargo: Iron ore, coal Propulsion: Triple-expansion steam engine, propeller Depth of Wreckage: 20’ . . . — Map (db m42301) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Charles Hart Homestead
Site of the homestead of Charles Hart, founder of Wauwatosa, who arrived here in May, 1835. He built a log cabin in what is now the village and with his brother, Thomas, operated saw and grist mills. In the early 1840s Charles Hart built a large . . . — Map (db m37507) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — 168 — Milwaukee County's First Airport
One of the earliest publicly–owned airports in the United State was established here on July 3, 1919, by the Milwaukee County Park Commission. The nation’s first commercial air transport, the Lawson Airliner, took off from this field on . . . — Map (db m34756) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — 499 — Revolutionary War Veteran
Front Patriot James Morgan was born April 5, 1748, in Frederick County, Virginia. At the age of 30, Morgan enlisted in the Revolution for a three-month tour in Colonel John Evan’s Virginia Regiment. He served with General McIntosh’s campaign . . . — Map (db m31763) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Wauwatosa Avenue Historic District
The Wauwatosa Avenue Historic District includes seventy-seven houses on Wauwatosa Avenue, Warren Avenue, Hillcrest Drive and adjoining streets. The District is characterized by large, well-maintained examples of the architecture of the . . . — Map (db m33125) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — 41 — Meadowmere
This tract of land was once a part of the estate on which General William (Billy) Mitchell (1879-1936) lived as a boy. His fearless and inquisitive personality as a youth carried over into his military career when he spoke out against overwhelming . . . — Map (db m31135) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — 100 — Old Honey Creek School Site
Honey Creek School, Greenfield Township, was built of logs, with a shake roof and puncheon floor, on land owned by Reuben Strong. William W. Johnson, the first teacher, helped to build the school, which opened in December 1843. Marion Johnson Cooper . . . — Map (db m32841) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — President Abraham LincolnCampaign Speech, Sept. 30, 1859 — Wisconsin State Fair, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Candidate Abraham Lincoln delivered a campaign speech at the 1859 Wisconsin State Fair. The Fair site, at that time, was at the Spring Street Hill/Brockway Grounds located in the heart of Milwaukee between Wisconsin Avenue and Highland Avenue, . . . — Map (db m37603) HM
Wisconsin (Monroe County), Tomah — 88 — Tomah
When this site was selected for a settlement in 1855, one of its founders read in an old history of the state that the Menominee Chief Tomah had at one time gathered his tribe in this vicinity for a conference. He suggested the name "Tomah" for . . . — Map (db m3960) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 61 — Cedarburg Mill
Built of native limestone in 1855 by Frederick Hilgen and William Schroeder at a cost of $22,000, on land at $1 per acre, this mill ground 120 barrels of flour daily. Burchard Weber was the builder. — Map (db m37085) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 97 — Cedarburg Woolen Mill
Built here in 1864-65 because of Cedar Creek’s water power, Hilgen and Wittenberg’s mill made yarns, blankets and flannels. Incorporated in 1872 as the Cedarburg Woolen Mill, it was the only extensive woolen mill in 1878. A branch mill built in . . . — Map (db m30689) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 60 — Concordia Mill
Built in 1853 by Edward H. Janssen, with his brother Theodore and a Mr. Gaitsch, this mill exemplifies the local structural use of this area’s excellent native limestone during the middle 1800’s. — Map (db m32802) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 96 — Hamilton
Settled by Irish immigrants, “New Dublin” was renamed in 1847 after William S. Hamilton, son of Alexander, spent the night here in what became the first stagecoach stop between Milwaukee and Green Bay (1848). Settled before Cedarburg, . . . — Map (db m32799) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 289 — Historic Cedarburg
The source of Cedarburg’s vigor from its birth as a village in 1845 was the power-producing creek that the Irish and German immigrants found here. After building five dams and five mills, the life of the community flowed along the banks of the Cedar . . . — Map (db m31238) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 146 — Last Covered Bridge(Built 1876 – Retired 1962)
This bridge was built by the Town of Cedarburg on petition of neighboring farmers to replace periodically washed out bridges. Pine logs, cut and milled at Baraboo, were fitted and set in place in lattice truss construction with 3 X 10 inch planks . . . — Map (db m31237) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 359 — Origin of Cedar Creek / Mills on the Creek(Double Sided Marker)
Origin of Cedar Creek Dropping approximately eighty feet in two and half miles, Cedar Creek’s falling water power provided enough energy to drive Cedarburg’s many mills for over one hundred years. The creek rises from big and Little Cedar . . . — Map (db m31240) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Cedarburg — 358 — Washington Avenue Historic District / Historic District Architecture(Double sided marker)
Washington Avenue Historic District Even before Cedarburg incorporated in 1885, the community thrived with mills, shops, hotels, churches and residences, many of which remain in Cedarburg’s commercial center as part of the Washington Avenue . . . — Map (db m31239) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 85 — Oldest Lutheran Church in Wisconsin
In early October 1839, approximately 20 families settled near this site to found the colony of Freistadt. Prompted by religious persecution in the homeland, the group sought and found religious haven in Wisconsin. The first log cabin was located . . . — Map (db m31267) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Mequon — 331 — Wisconsin's German Settlers
The oldest German settlements in Wisconsin are found in the Town of Mequon. In 1839 a small group of German immigrants from Saxony settled near the Milwaukee River. They were followed that same year by about twenty immigrant families from Pomerania . . . — Map (db m31219) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Port Washington — 414 — The Wisconsin Chair Company Fire
One of the largest manufacturers of chairs in the United States, the Wisconsin Chair Company of Port Washington was founded by Fred A. Dennett and John M. Bostwick in 1888. After acquiring the important “MacLean Swing Rocker” patent in . . . — Map (db m31454) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Saukville — 375 — The Saukville Trails
An important American Indian village once stood in this vicinity near the Milwaukee River, the meeting point of two major Indian trails that lead west toward the Mississippi River and north toward Green Bay. In the 1830’s, Menominee, Sauk, and . . . — Map (db m31241) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Thiensville — 379 — Historic Thiensville
Although not incorporated until 1910, the Village of Thiensville became a settlement in 1842 when John Henry Thien constructed a grist mill. A German “Free Thinker,” Thien disavowed organized religion and banned churches here, attracting . . . — Map (db m31216) HM
Wisconsin (Ozaukee County), Waubeka — 115 — Birthplace of Flag Day
Here at Stony Hill School, Bernard J. Cigrand, 19 year old teacher and his students held the first recognized observance of “Flag Birth Day” on June 14, 1885, with a flag ten inches high, carrying 38 stars, standing in a bottle on the . . . — Map (db m30688) HM
Wisconsin (Polk County), Luck — 173 — Danish Dairy Cooperative
On March 28, 1885 one of Wisconsin's first incorporated creameries was organized as the Luck Creamery Company. The "Organization Artikler" were published in Danish in the Polk County Press on November 18, 1885, and printed in English about a month . . . — Map (db m14576) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Burlington — 307 — Mormons in Early Wisconsin
Among those contributing to the nation’s westward expansion in the nineteenth century and to Wisconsin’s early development were members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). In 1835, Moses Smith helped establish Burlington . . . — Map (db m34223) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Caledonia — 102 — Skunk Grove
Skunk Grove was a stopping place for travelers in an uncharted wilderness on the mail route between Green Bay and Chicago. It was located about 200 yards southeast of this marker, where the trail crossed the stream now known as Hood’s Creek. By . . . — Map (db m34219) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Racine — 376 — 1888 Bohemian School House
In 1850, Czech immigrants from Bohemia and Moravia, now regions in the Czech Republic, established a rural settlement between Five Mile and Seven Mile Roads in Caledonia Township. This early settlement known as “Ceska Betlemska” or . . . — Map (db m34224) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Racine — 32nd Division Memorial Highway
Tuscania • Buna • Haute–Alsace • Saidor • Aisne-Marne • Aitape • Oise-Aisne • Driniumor • Morotia • Meuse-Argonne • Leyte • Luzon Detached Units • Africa • Sicily • Italy "Les Terribles" Germany • Japan • Army of . . . — Map (db m38203) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Racine — 392 — Cream Brick Cottages / Cream Brick — (Two Sided Marker)
Cream Brick Cottages Racine’s rapid and diversified industrial growth after the Civil War attracted a large working population to the city. Desiring their own homes, many workers built modest cottages of similar design in wood or brick. A high . . . — Map (db m34263) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Racine — 492 — Soldiers of the American Revolution
Three American Revolution patriots rest in this cemetery. A fourth soldier is also recognized here. Elisha Raymond was born in 1761. In 1776, at age 15, he enlisted in the Rhode Island Militia and completed seven tours of duty. In 1835, he . . . — Map (db m34298) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Racine — 393 — Southside Historic District/ Southside Historic District Parks — (Two Sided)
Southside Historic District Extending west from Lake Michigan to Park Avenue and south from Eighth Street to DeKoven Avenue, Racine’s Southside Historic District contains one of Wisconsin’s highest concentrations of grand historic houses. . . . — Map (db m34265) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Racine — 72 — The Spark
In 1873 the Rev. Dr. J.W. Carhart of Racine designed and operated the first light self-propelled highway vehicle in the United States, and probably the first in the world. He named it the Spark. It was driven by a two cylinder steam engine, steered . . . — Map (db m34220) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Waterford — 129 — Old Muskego
Under the leadership of John Luraas, forty pioneers came to Muskego Lake from Norway in 1839, to found one of the most important settlements in Norwegian-American history. After temporary set-backs, the settlement flourished here through the . . . — Map (db m34221) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Wind Point — Schooner Kate KellyHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden schooner, two-masted Built: 1867, Martell, Tonawanda, N.Y.; Rebuilt 1875-1876 Sank: May 14, 1895 Length: 126’ Beam: 25’ Cargo: Grain, coal, and lumber Depth: 55’ Lives Lost: 7 About two miles offshore from here, the . . . — Map (db m42297) HM
Wisconsin (Racine County), Wind Point — 479 — The Wind Point Lighthouse
To assist navigation around the point into Racine harbor, the Wind Point Lighthouse began functioning in 1880 with a kerosene lamp, focused and magnified by a third order Fresnel lens. Its light could be seen for 19 miles. At 108 feet, it is . . . — Map (db m34267) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Beloit — 406 — Black Hawk at Turtle Village / The U.S. Military at Turtle Village
Black Hawk at Turtle Village Turtle Village, a large and important Ho-Chuck (Winnebago) Indian village, once stood on the east side of the Rock River near its confluence with Turtle Creek. During the Black Hawk War of 1832, the Ho-Chunk . . . — Map (db m35525) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Beloit — 50 — Rasey House
Cobblestone House built in 1850 Home to first President of Beloit College 1850-1851 Now the Chapter House of Beloit Chapter National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m40438) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Clinton — 496 — Soldier of The American Revolution
Philip Allen was born in Bridgewater, Massachusetts on July 9, 1757. At the outbreak of the revolution, 18-year-old Allen enlisted as his brother’s substitute in Captain Packard’s company of Colonel David Brewster’s regiment. Allen served in at . . . — Map (db m33614) HM
Wisconsin (Rock County), Town of La Prairie — 104 — La Prairie Grange Hall
La Prairie Grange No. 79 was organized February 27, 1873, and the Grange Hall was built between June 20 and September 5, 1874. Constructed jointly with the Town of La Prairie, the Hall cost $1,938.50. In 1960 the Town Board deeded the land and . . . — Map (db m40478) HM
Wisconsin (Sauk County), North Freedom — 461 — Mid–Continent Railway Historical Society
Mid-Continent Railway Historical Society has operated steam trains at North Freedom since 1963 preserving early 1900s railroading history. The museum runs vintage rolling stock on a branch line opened in 1903 to serve iron mines. Its . . . — Map (db m19951) HM
Wisconsin (Taylor County), Rib Lake — 346 — Rib Lake Lumber Company
In 1882, speculator J.J. Kennedy constructed a small mill along the shores of Rib Lake, founding the Rib Lake Lumber Company. In spite of several mill fires, the company grew to produce over a billion board feet of lumber. At first dependent upon . . . — Map (db m30222) HM
Wisconsin (Taylor County), Rib Lake — 232 — Rustic Road
This historical marker commemorates the first official Rustic Road in Wisconsin following state legislation authorizing the maintenance and identification of scenic roadways under the State Rustic roads Board of the Department of Transportation. . . . — Map (db m30220) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Allen Grove — 233 — Allen Family
Philip Allen, a Revolutionary War veteran, and his children, Philip Jr., Harvey, Sidney, Pliny, Asa Keyes, and Persis, came from New York in May, 1845, to settle in Allen Grove. Sixty-five Allens traveled by canal boat, steamboat, and overland from . . . — Map (db m33615) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Delavan — 440 — Birthplace of “The Greatest Show on Earth”
At this site, March 20, 1871, the first P.T. Barnum Circus was loaded on rail cars and transported to Brooklyn, NY where it made its initial performance on April 10, 1871. The circus was conceived and organized in Delavan by William C. Coup and Dan . . . — Map (db m40471) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Delavan — 344 — Delavan’s Historic Brick Street
Dusty and rutted in dry spells, muddy and miserable in wet, Delavan’s main street, Walworth Avenue, remained unpaved from the 1830’s until the second decade of the 20th century. In 1911, Delavan’s City Council voted to pave the three block central . . . — Map (db m33618) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Delavan — 128 — Delavan's Circus Colony
In 1847 two New York brothers, Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie, toured Wisconsin with their United States Olympic Circus. The circus stopped over in Delavan and the brothers took time off to hunt prairie chicken near Delavan Lake. They liked the area so . . . — Map (db m33472) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Delavan — 166 — Wisconsin's First School for the Deaf
In 1839 Ebenezer Cheseboro emigrated to Wisconsin from New York and settled in the town of Darien, two miles west of Delavan on the Janesville road. Due to the lack of a school for his deaf daughter, Ariadna, a teacher of the deaf was hired to come . . . — Map (db m33473) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Elkhorn — 78 — The Webster House
Originally erected in the public square in 1836, this edifice was the local land office during Wisconsin’s territorial years. It was abandoned in 1840 and later moved to this site. From 1857 until his death in 1875, this was the home of noted . . . — Map (db m40439) HM
Wisconsin (Walworth County), Williams Bay — 505 — The 755th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron
Side A The Williams Bay Air Force Radar Station, home of the 755th Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, was part of a nationwide Cold War effort to defend the continent against possible airborne attack from the Soviet Union. In the years . . . — Map (db m40472) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Germantown — Christ Church
Center of the settlement established by German-Hunsruck pioneers, the Christ Evangelical Church was founded in 1842. This limestone edifice, replacing a log church, was completed in 1862 on land donated by Phillip Dhein. — Map (db m30148) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Germantown — 380 — Dheinsville Settlement
Established in 1842, by the Philip Dhein family, Dheinsville is Germantown’s oldest crossroads settlement. The village contains original half-timber buildings (fachwerk), reflecting the building-construction patterns of the early pioneers who came . . . — Map (db m31218) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Germantown — 97-001 — Jacob Schunk FarmhouseGermantown, Wisconsin
This limestone, Greek Revival dwelling was built by Jacob and Mary Ann Schunk in 1858. The clapboard and stone section was added in 1870. Of special interest are two sets of quarter-circle windows at the attic level. The history of the Schunk . . . — Map (db m38869) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Germantown — St. John Evangelical Church
Founded on 1843 by German settlers from Hessen-Darmstadt and the Bavarian Palatinate, joined later by emigrants from Pomerania and Wurttemberg. Designed by architects Myrath and Koch for $30. 3 acre site purchased from Adam and Maria Stein for $150. . . . — Map (db m31494) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Hartford — 154 — “Kissel”
The Kissel Motor Car Company was located across the river from this site. Kissel manufactured vehicles here for 25 years, from 1906 until 1931. Passenger cars, trucks, ambulances, funeral cars, taxicabs, and fire trucks were among the varied types. . . . — Map (db m30684) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Hartford — St. Lawrence ChurchSt. Lawrence, WI
The congregation of St. Lawrence was organized in 1846 and is one of the oldest Roman Catholic parishes in Washington County. The first log church, located at the southwest corner of the cemetery, was blessed by Bishop Henni in October, 1846. This . . . — Map (db m37808) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Hartford — 500 — The Schwartz Ballroom
Side A The Schwartz Ballroom opened to the music of Harold Austin and his New Yorkers on October 20, 1928. As part of the big band craze of the Roaring 20s, dance hall construction boomed while recording and radio broadcasting spread new . . . — Map (db m30687) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Jackson — Mill Road Church
This historic site was a center of religious activity for German Lutherans who, fleeing religious persecution and economic privation, came to Kirchhayn in 1843 from the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1847 they formed the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of . . . — Map (db m38678) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Richfield — 09-001 — Messer/Mayer MillVillage of Richfield, Wisconsin
The Messer/Mayer Mill is a three and one-half story, front-gabled grist mill on a raised fieldstone foundation and sheathed with narrow clapboard siding. The interior contains the original milling equipment dating from 1873 to the early 20th . . . — Map (db m38867) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), Town of Erin — Holy Hill
Holy Hill stands 1340 feet above sea level and 250 feet above the surrounding country-side. It has been a place of inspiration and worship for many years. In 1857 Roman Goetz and Mathias Werner erected a 15 foot white oak cross on its summit. A log . . . — Map (db m37238) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — 65 — Court House Square
This Square, known as The Park, was given to Washington County in 1853 as a site for county buildings for the use and benefit of the county forever. Donors were William Wightman, Byron Kilbourn, James Kneeland, E.B. Wolcott, and their wives. This . . . — Map (db m35205) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — Esker
The winding ridge of sand and gravel 900 feet to the south-east is the westerly end of an esker. It was formed over 10,000 years ago by a glacial stream leaving deposits as it flowed in a tunnel beneath the ice. (For a better view drive one half . . . — Map (db m38677) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — 248 — Great Divide
You are now on the great divide which separates the two principal drainage areas of Wisconsin. Water falling to the west of this ridge runs down the Rock River into the “Father of Waters” and after 1,400 miles reaches the Gulf of Mexico. . . . — Map (db m30685) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — 17 — Lizard Mound Co. Park(Lizard Mound State Park)
This park, named for its most outstanding mound, contains thirty-one fine examples of effigy mounds. Effigy mounds are low earthworks usually built in the shapes of birds or animals. Though used for burial purposes, a mound seldom contains more than . . . — Map (db m30119) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — 96-002 — Lizard Mound ParkA Washington County Park — Town of Farmington, Wisconsin
Lizard Mound Park is one of the best preserved and most diverse prehistoric effigy mound archeological sites in the state. It contains numerous mounds (A.D. 650-1300) in conical, linear, bird, panther, and lizard shapes. Originally known as the . . . — Map (db m30121) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — 99 — Old Settlers Triangle
In West Bend’s early days, this plot was a community gathering place. For over 90 years, the Triangle and the building which stood there were at the center of business, social and political life, and served as a meeting place for the old settlers. . . . — Map (db m35208) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — 00-002 — Washington County Courthouse SquareWest Bend, Wisconsin
This block was deeded to Washington County on May 2, 1853, by the Wightman, Kilbourn, Kneeland, and Wolcott families to locate and erect county buildings. The original courthouse, constructed in 1854, was relocated to Main Street when the 1889 . . . — Map (db m35206) HM
Wisconsin (Washington County), West Bend — Washington House
This building was one of the first brick buildings erected in West Bend. It replaced an original structure built in 1852 and destroyed by fire on January 1, 1864 and it was re-opened on October 15, 1864 as a headquarters for travelers along the . . . — Map (db m35209) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Brookfield — Revolutionary War Veteran
Buried here is PVT. NATHAN HATCH, patriot who fought four tours of duty in the Continental Army 1776-1781 Born 16 Nov. 1757 at Attleboro, MA, he first enlisted July 1776 in Capt. Isaac Hodges Co. as Pvt. He was discharged Nov. 1780. He moved to . . . — Map (db m33027) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 391 — Delafield Fish Hatchery
Constructed in 1907, the impressive Delafield Fish Hatchery stands as a reminder of Wisconsin's dependence upon its plentiful fishing waters. In the early 20th century, Wisconsin's growing concern over lake and stream fish depletion led to a state . . . — Map (db m31796) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 328 — Lapham Peak
In 1870, on top of Lapham Peak, then known as Government Hill, the United State Army signal Corps established one of its original National Weather Service signal stations. Weather data was received here from Pikes Peak, Colorado, and relayed to the . . . — Map (db m32097) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-03 — Lapham Peak
Known until 1916 as Government Hill because it was used for government surveying purposes, Lapham Peak is the highest point in Waukesha County at 1233 ft. It was purchased by the state in 1905 as part of the farms acquired for the Statesan . . . — Map (db m32098) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 160 — Nashotah Mission
Inspired by Bishop Jackson Kemper, James Lloyd Breck and his companions founded Nashotah Mission as a center for the Episcopal Church’s work in Wisconsin Territory. Preparation of candidates for the priesthood quickly became a major task, to meet . . . — Map (db m32526) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 497 — Northwestern Military and Naval Academy
Educational reformer Harlan Page Davidson founded Northwestern Military Academy in Highland Park, Illinois in 1888. For years many of the cadets came from northern Illinois, but enrollment broadened when the academy moved to the shores of Lake . . . — Map (db m31474) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 244 — St. John's Military Academy
St. John’s, the oldest Military Academy in Wisconsin, was founded as a boy’s prep school in 1844 when Sidney T. Smythe, a student at Nashotah House, reopened an abandoned Delafield schoolhouse for St. John’s first students. Dr. Smythe graduated from . . . — Map (db m31473) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Dousman — 52 — Masonic Home
In the fall of 1836 Elisha Edgerton and his wife Belinda came here in their wagon drawn by oxen. They cleared the land and built their farm home, with buildings recognized as a Wisconsin Premium Farm by the State Agricultural Society. Episcopal . . . — Map (db m36719) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Monches — Carl Schurz Forest
Here the Ice Age Trail enters the forest honoring Carl Schurz. With John Muir, Increase Lapham, and Aldo Leopold, he belongs to the quartet of Great Wisconsin Conservationists memorialized by natural monuments left by the Wisconsin Glacier in . . . — Map (db m35519) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-03 — "Cornfalfa" Farms
The William Schwartz Farm was established on May 15, 1844 on this location. It covered 527 acres from Coffee Road to Beeheim and from the Western boundary of the current City of New Berlin to Swartz Road. The farm passed to Peter M. Swartz. In 1882 . . . — Map (db m34576) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-02 — Cheney-Faulkner Cooper HomeBuilt 1840
In this house the First Free Will Baptist Church in Wis. was organized on July 11, 1840. Here also, prior to 1843, was opened the first school in this area. Rev. Rufus Cheney directed the founding of both church and school. Both met here until 1945. . . . — Map (db m34512) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-04 — Freewill Baptist ChurchRestored
Wisconsin’s first Freewill Baptist congregation, organized by Yankee pioneers Rev. Rufus Cheney July 11, 1840, Built this Greek revival style edifice, 1859. As Abolitionists, they were active here in the Civil War. But the dwindling congregation . . . — Map (db m34577) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-01 — Hamlet of Calhoun
The hamlet of Calhoun was established 1872 when Thomas & Mary Calhoun, Irish immigrants, purchased land in the area. Calhoun Road has always been the dividing line between the urban east side and the rural west side of New Berlin. Other early . . . — Map (db m33971) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-06 — Linnie Lac
Formerly called Hale’s Mill Pond Near this site, 1836-’37, Waukesha County’s first dam and sawmill were built by Hugh Wedge and Isaac DeWitt. In 1840 Wedge sold out to William P. Hale, who was joined by his brother, Hiram E. Hale in 1846. Hiram . . . — Map (db m34317) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), New Berlin — 21-07 — New Berlin Hills Golf Course
Founded on 1905 as the Woodmont Country Club, owners Oscar Greenwald, Dr. Patek, and Joseph Landaur purchased its original 40 acres in 1907 forming a nine-hole course and a members-only club. Membership declined and the course was sold January 5, . . . — Map (db m33974) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Okauchee — 483 — Historic Okauchee
Okauchee, believed to have been derived from the Potawatomi term “gachi” meaning “something small,” was settled in 1839 by Orson Reed. His mill was the first building constructed in the new community and provided lumber for . . . — Map (db m32095) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Sussex — First Woman in Town of Lisbon
Melinda Ann (Warren) Weaver, B. Feb. 25, 1813 in New York State, married an English immigrant, John Weaver, in 1833. In the fall of 1836, with Melinda 7 months pregnant & leading two children the Weaver family took an Erie Canal boat to Buffalo, & a . . . — Map (db m32873) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 185 — Carroll College
Carroll College, chartered by the Territorial Legislature in January 31, 1846, is Wisconsin’s oldest college. Named for Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, it advanced the work of Prairieville Academy, founded in 1841 in . . . — Map (db m34579) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-03 — Courthouse Square
This site has been used for County purposes since Waukesha county was created (1846). Site of first courthouse (built 1846-1849), jail (1847) & office building (1860). New limestone Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse built on same site (1893). New . . . — Map (db m36842) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-07 — Hobo Spring
This spring, so named because it was used by the transients who came off the nearby Soo Line railroad, is one of the few original reminders of Waukesha’s 19th century springs and resort era. A century ago, Waukesha was known as “Spring . . . — Map (db m36845) HM
Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Waukesha — 34-11 — Moor Mud Baths Hotel
John Weber purchased this property with its black “moor” earth and a spring in 1899. The hotel, patterned after European spas, and the springhouse opened in 1911. Spring water and warm mud baths, promoted as therapeutic, were available . . . — Map (db m36847) HM

683 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 483
Paid Advertisement