Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

3563 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3363
 
Jasper County Courthouse Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, 2008
Jasper County Courthouse Marker
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 21 — Free Mason's Lodge
This Lodge was set up in 1855 by the first president of the Turks & Caicos Islands, Mr. Frederick Forth, and was called the 'Turks Islands Forth Lodge.' Mr. Forth, himself, was a member and local legend has it that President Forth may have . . . — Map (db m40274) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — Creek Street‘Cat’houses & Sporting Women
Ketchikan’s notorious Creek Street, early Alaska’s most infamous red-light district, still retains traces of the gaudy rouge of a half-century of speakeasies and sporting women. Here the fame of Black Mary, Thelma Baker and Dolly Arthur outlived . . . — Map (db m42631) HM
Arizona (Mohave County), Kingman — Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad DepotBuilt 1907
This building has been placed on The National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior. Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe Railroad Depot Built 1907 Kingman's early existence depended upon the . . . — Map (db m29412) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — 773 — Old Harmony Borax Works
On the marsh near this point borax was discovered in 1881 by Aaron Winters who later sold his holdings to W. T. Coleman of San Francisco. In 1882 Coleman built the Harmony Borax Works and commissioned his superintendent J. W. S. Perry, to design . . . — Map (db m31920) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Fort Collins — Elwood Mead1858 - 1936
As a member of the Colorado Agricultural College faculty between 1883 and 1888, Elwood Mead established the first instruction in irrigation engineering to be offered by an American college or university. This work provided the foundation . . . — Map (db m52325) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC-107 — Prospect A.M.E. Church
The roots of African-American Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a black “class” within the local Methodist society in the 1790’s. By the 1830’s a group of residents had affiliated themselves with Bishop . . . — Map (db m49017) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — deVries Monument — Dutch Settlement of Delaware
Erected By The State of Delaware To Commemorate The Settlement On This Spot, Of The First Dutch Colony, Under De Vries, A.D. 1631. Here was the craddle of a state. "That Delaware exists as a separate Commonwealth is due to . . . — Map (db m37400) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Life Saving StationLewes Maritime History Trail
The United States Life Saving Service (U.S.L.S.S.) was commissioned to rescue shipwrecked mariners along our nation's coast. Established in 1876 and 1884, repectively, the Cape Henlopen and Lewes stations worked together to save thousands . . . — Map (db m38472) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Millsboro — SC-212 — Home of John J. Williams"Conscience of the Senate"
Born May 17, 1904, John J, Williams was a native and lifelong resident of Sussex County, Delaware. After completing his education in local public schools, he established the Millsboro Feed Company with his brother in 1922. Rapid growth of . . . — Map (db m37936) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Millsboro — SC- 54 — Indian River Hundred
So named in 1706. This hundred together with Lewes and Rehoboth, Broadkill, and Cedar Creek Hundreds, formed what the early settlers called “Old Sussex.” — Map (db m48583) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Millsboro — The Ableman Homestead
An inn, one of several built in Delaware towns during this period, was established on this corner at the end of the 18th century and remained open until the end of the 19th century. This site was purchased by Abel Ableman and occupied from 1902 . . . — Map (db m37299) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-215 — Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A.
The roots of African-American Masonry in this country can be traced to the period of the American Revolution, when founder Prince Hall and others established the first Masonic Lodge for men of color in Boston, Massachusetts. By the early 19th . . . — Map (db m69807) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milton — SC-165 — The Holly Industry
Since ancient times the holly tree has been a decorative symbol of the winter holiday season. The abundant growth of this colorful evergreen in Delaware resulted in the establishment of a major export industry during the first half of the 20th . . . — Map (db m37399) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Rehoboth Beach — S-90 — City of Rehoboth Beach
On January 27, 1873, the “Rehoboth Beach Camp meeting Association of the Methodist Episcopal Church” was incorporated by the Delaware legislature for the purpose of establishing “a permanent camp meeting ground and . . . — Map (db m36783) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Seaford — SC-177 — St. John's United Methodist Church
In the late 18th century, Francis Asbury and other pioneers of American Methodism traveled throughout this area bringing the message of their faith to the people. A local Methodist Society was organized at that time, first meeting in the . . . — Map (db m61251) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), south of Dewey Beach — SC-148 — Indian River Life-Saving Station
With the expansion of the nation’s maritime commerce following the Civil War, the need for improved methods of assisting ships in distress was apparent. Built in 1876 by the United States Life-Saving Service, the Indian River Life-Saving Station was . . . — Map (db m37068) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), East Potomac Park — Cuban Friendship Urn
Smaller plaque on the urn El recuerdo del “Maine” tendrá eterna duración durante los siglos los lazos de la amistad entre la tierra de Cuba y la tierra de los Estados Unidos de Norte América. —Gerardo Machado Plaque . . . — Map (db m7871) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Earleton — F-625 — Earleton, Florida
(Front text) Earleton is named for General Elias B. Earle (1821-1893) who received government land grants in Florida for his service in the U.S./Mexican War (1846-48). Born into a prominent South Carolina family, Gen. Earle fought in the . . . — Map (db m41263) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-166 — East Florida Seminary
Founded as the Gainesville Academy before the Civil War and later renamed, the East Florida Seminary served Gainesville's need for higher education until the University of Florida was created by the Florida Legislature in 1905. The Seminary school . . . — Map (db m58007) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-164 — First Gainesville Skirmish / Battle of Gainesville
First Gainesville Skirmish The first Civil War gunfire in Gainesville's streets came on February 15, 1864, when a raiding party of 50 men from the 40th Massachusetts Cavalry entered the City to attempt the capture of two trains. The raid was . . . — Map (db m57122) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-321 — Josiah T. Walls
Born in 1842 to slave parents in Winchester, Va., little is known of Josiah T. Walls' early life. After a short term of Confederate service, he enlisted in the Third Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops in 1863. Transferred to Picolata on the St. Johns . . . — Map (db m55400) HM
Florida (Alachua County), LaCrosse — F-287 — LaCrosse, Florida
The LaCrosse area was settled before the Civil War. Cotton was the chief crop. John Eli Futch was a cotton buyer who built a warehouse for cotton, a store to serve the growers, and his home near the store. This store became the first post office and . . . — Map (db m93840) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Historic King's Road British East Florida
The King's Road, built by the British prior to the American Revolution, began at the St. Mary's River, passed through Cowford (Jacksonville), crossed the St. John's River, it is believed, at present day Liberty Street, approximately one mile east of . . . — Map (db m60398) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Florida Sentinel Bulletin
In December, 1945, C. Blythe Andrews re-opened the doors of the Florida Sentinel newspaper at 1511 Central Avenue. The original Florida Sentinel was founded in 1919, in Jacksonville, Florida by Mr. Andrews' father, General William W. Andrews. The . . . — Map (db m20052) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County's Confederate MonumentMemoria In Aeterna — (In Eternal Remembrance)
(West face) 1861 To the Honor and Courage of the patriots of the Confederate States of America, This monument is dedicated by Tampa Chapter, No.113, U. D. C., and the citizens of Tampa. January 1911. Memoria . . . — Map (db m26385) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Lt. Col. Frank S. Adamo, M.D.Bataan's Medical Hero
This distinguished native Tampan served with courage, honor and personal sacrifice as an army surgeon during WWII. He was captured and made a prisoner of war when the Japanese overran the Philippines. Afflicted with Beri-Beri and other diseases he . . . — Map (db m74788) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-31 — Tampa Bay Hotel
Henry B. Plant built this ornate Moorish structure at a cost of $3 million. Opened in 1891, it became the social and cultural center of early Tampa. During the Spanish American War it was headquarters for troops going to Cuba and house such visitors . . . — Map (db m20020) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Cherokee Club"El Pasaje" — 1888
The second brick building erected in Ybor City. The Cherokee Club was a popular rendezvous for the elite in the 1890's. Later became known as El Pasaje Restaurant. Its fame spread throughout the Americas. Jose Marti slept here on his first . . . — Map (db m15274) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Memory Hill Cemetery
As part of the Historic District of Milledgeville has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m42312) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Keller — 15-1 — Bryan Neck Presbyterian Church
This church, the oldest congregation in lower Bryan County, was certified by the Presbytery of Georgia in 1830. Its founders included rice planters on Bryan Neck, among them Thomas Savage Clay, Richard James Arnold and George Washington McAllister. . . . — Map (db m18648) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Bryan County
Named for the Honorable Jonathan Bryan, Esq. 1708- 1788 Founder, Father, and Patriot of Georgia. — Map (db m14954) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — C.S.S. Nashville
Built by William Collyer in New York City. She was ordered by New York merchants and launched September 22, 1853. Her maiden voyage was from New York to Charleston, South Carolina, under the name United States Mail Steamship . . . — Map (db m12868) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — First Baptist Church of StatesboroConstituted September 3, 1882 — Rev. W. M. Cowart, First Pastor
Charter Members Deacon Edmond Kennedy, Deacon A. B. Miller, W.B. Corey, Joseph Tillman, James Price, J. J. M. Griner, Moselle Miller, Mary Tillman, Elizabeth Kennedy, Mary J. Proctor "We covenant with God and with each other … . . . — Map (db m10543) HM
Georgia (Camden County), St Marys — 020-11 — St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800Celebrated Sesqui-Centennial 1949
This church is the oldest religious organization in the city, although not the oldest church building. George Clark served as the first missionary to the people here in 1792. John Garvin was the first appointed Pastor to St. Marys in 1799. Methodist . . . — Map (db m23044) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), near Isle of Hope — 73000614 — Bethesda(Boys Home)
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m55133) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — 351st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
In Memory Of The 351st Bombardment Group (Heavy) Eighth United States Army Air Force 311 Group combat bombing missions were flown from this airfield over occupied Europe between 1943-1945 175 B-17 Flying Fortresses and . . . — Map (db m64457) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — 364th Fighter Group
(North face) In Honored Memory To the gallent men of the 364th Fighter Group who gave their lives for the freedom of our country Greater Love Hath No Man 342 Missions 455 Enemy Aircraft Destroyed Honington, England, 8th . . . — Map (db m64792) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — 493rd Bomb Group
The 493rd Bomb Group (H) Honors Those who served and those who died 1944 - 1945 — Map (db m65310) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — 93rd Bombardment Group (Heavy)Squadrons: 328th, 329th, 330th, 409th
Alconbury and Hardwick, England North Africa: Three Tours WWII Strategic Bombing 1942 - 1945 In Memory of All Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice In The Skies Over Europe During World War II To Preserve Our Freedoms. Dedicated To . . . — Map (db m64040) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — In Memory Of...Best Of Friends
Capt George M Perry - Pilot "Best Man" B-24 467th BG   791st BS 1st LT Warren E Thrun - Pilot "Tommy Thumper"   B-24 34th BG   4th BS 2nd LT Louis E Wetzel -Co-Pilot "Devils Daughter"   B-17 390th BG   570th BS KIA . . . — Map (db m66948) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — Sittin' Pretty
96th    337th Bomb Group   Squadron Sittin' Pretty Lt Charles L Shinault     P Lt Harold L Barlow     P Lt John B Connell     CP Lt Rex L Maluy          N Lt Fred A Huston     B T/Sgt William H Wayland     E T/Sgt Robert L . . . — Map (db m67216) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — Stanley's Stalwarts8th Air Force
379th BG   527 BS Kimbolton, England P      S W Cebuhar            POW CP   D C Reopelle            POW N      A M Thomas             LBC   B      R G Engstrand        POW  NG   L H Gates                  POW FE   L F . . . — Map (db m67866) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Port Wentworth — 025-79 — Battle Between Confederate Gunboats and Union Field Artillery(December 12, 1864)
In December, 1864, was fought on the Savannah River near here one of the few battles in which Confederate gunboats and Union field artillery were engaged against each other. Colerain Plantation, as these lands were then known, had been occupied on . . . — Map (db m12615) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — "Tyrants Fall In Every Foe Liberty's In Every Blow"
. . . — Map (db m6265) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-20 — Colonial Park
This cemetery, the second in colonial Savannah, was the burying ground for the city from about 1750 until it was closed against burials in 1853. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Archibald Bulloch, first President of Georgia; James . . . — Map (db m5313) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 11 — Crossing the Savannah
Although the Savannah River provided an avenue to the sea, it also presented a barrier to overland travel and transportation. Rochester Ferry, later named Screven's Ferry, was established in 1762 and connected Savannah with a roadway in South . . . — Map (db m19450) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-101 — Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home
Mary Flannery O'Connor, novelist and short story writer,was born in Savannah March 25, 1925. She grew up in this house and in later years she referred to it simply as "the house I was raised in." She lived here until 1938, attending church at the . . . — Map (db m9490) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Great Indian Warrior / Trading Path
(The Great Philadelphia Wagon Road) The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from The Great Lakes to Georgia. Laid on animal trails and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. treaties among the . . . — Map (db m5648) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820
In this cemetery many victims of the Great Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1820 were buried. Nearly 700 Savannahians died that year, including two local physicians who lost their lives caring for the stricken. Several epidemics followed. In . . . — Map (db m5330) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Italians in Georgia's Genesis
When James Oglethorpe left England to begin the new colony of Georgia, in 1732, one of the passengers was Paul Amatis, an Italian artisan, skilled in producing silk. He was later placed in charge of Trustees Garden. Later, more Italian familes came . . . — Map (db m9390) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Johnson Square
. . . — Map (db m5497) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Juliette Low
Founder in the United States of the Girl Scouts ---- 1912 "She gave the lead — she is not dead if we but keep alive the spirit that was hers     — Robert Baden Powell Map (db m8305) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 15 — King Cotton
Georgia colonists were quick to experiment with plants that could be cultivated to supply income. While growing mulberry to produce silk, grapes to produce wine and indigo to produce dye were marginally sucessful, those early . . . — Map (db m19369) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lafayette McLaws
Lafayette McLaws Major General Confederate States Army Born Augusta Ga. January 15th, 1821. Died Savannah Ga. July 24th 1897. — Map (db m68701) WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Lt. Col John Harris Cruger
Born to wealth and power, he was forced to hide in the swamps of Long Island until British forces landed. He led the 1st Battalion of Delancey's Loyalists and fought in both battles of Savannah and many other engage- ments. At war's . . . — Map (db m64440) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Major General Israel Putnam1718 - 1790
A Connecticut Farmer turned soldier in the French and Indian War, his service included Roger's Rangers, Indian captivity, shipwreck and Pontiac's War. A staunch "Liberty Boy," he was to lead men on many Revolutionary battlefields, . . . — Map (db m64222) HM WM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 9 — Shipping in the Port of Savannah
Savannah's port is one of the busiest in the United States. The terminals that serve the port are only surpassed in East Coast trade volume by the combined ports of New York and New Jersey. Some of the world's largest merchant vessels bring . . . — Map (db m19469) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — The First African Baptist Churchof North America
The oldest Black Congregation in North America began in 1773. May 20, 1775 the church was born with Rev. George Leile as its pastor; and constituted January 20, 1788 with Rev. Andrew Bryan, Pastor. ( Plaque 2 ) To The Glory Of God . . . — Map (db m90012) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — The Georgia Hussars Organized 13 February 1736
This troop of Mounted Rangers was raised by General Oglethorpe to patrol and protect the Colony of Georgia from the Spaniards and Indians. It fought at Bloody Marsh in 1742 and at the Siege of Savannah in 1779. Its record during The War . . . — Map (db m6163) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Turntable
How do you park a locomotive in a Roundhouse? Use a Turntable! A hostler drove a locomotive onto the Turntable. An operator rotated the Turntable from a control box at one end of it, until the table aligned with a desired track running into the . . . — Map (db m70274) HM
Georgia (Clinch County), Homerville — Clinch County World War II Memorial(Georgia)
In Grateful appreciation of the heroic service and sacrifice of her sons and daughters in World War II This memorial is erected by Clinch County All gave much Some gave all Army * Womans Aux * Aviation * Navy * . . . — Map (db m23862) HM
Georgia (Clinch County), Homerville — 032-1 — Clinch Court House»—→
Clinch County was created by an Act of the Legislature approved Feb. 14, 1850 out of lands formerly in Lowndes and Ware Counties and was named for General Duncan L. Clinch, a hero of the War of 1812 and the Indian wars. At the first election held . . . — Map (db m23848) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Kennesaw Mountain — KM-3 — Trading Hard Blows
As Sherman approached the Kennesaw line, Hood's Corps struck his right on June 22 at Kolb Farm. The Federals, warned, repulsed Hood with a loss of 1,000 men. Sherman decided to assult and cut the Southern center at Cheatham Hill and Little . . . — Map (db m15475) HM
Georgia (Columbia County), Winfield — 36-05 — Sharon Baptist Church
Sharon Baptist Church was founded in 1799. The first pastor, Abraham Marshall, who served the church until his death in 1819, probably constituted the church. This building, the second on the site, was erected in 1869. Many names . . . — Map (db m27056) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — 051-14 — Old Ebenezer»— .5 mi. →
About .5 miles East on this Road is the site of Old Ebenezer, the first settlement of the Salzburgers in Georgia. They selected this location and named it Ebenezer -- the stone of help. General Oglethorpe marked out their town, and soon they . . . — Map (db m7617) HM
Georgia (Evans County), Claxton — 054-1 — Evans County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Aug. 11, 1914, is named for Gen. Clement A. Evans, soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author, who died in 1911. He commanded Gordon`s old division in the last charge of the Army of Northern Virginia . . . — Map (db m18498) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Brunswick — 063-10 — Lanier's Oak←—«
During his visits to Brunswick in the 1870`s Sidney Lanier, Georgia's greatest poet, frequently sat beneath this live oak tree and looked out over "a world of marsh that borders a world of sea." Here he received the inspiration which resulted in . . . — Map (db m12300) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Jekyll Island — Horton House
William Horton, " Undersheriff of Herefordshire," England came to Georgia in 1736. He built this building for his plantation residence and it was his home until his death in 1749. Major Horton succeeded Oglethorpe as Commander of the Regiment . . . — Map (db m18431) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), Jekyll Island — Horton House Historic SiteBuilding a Home to Last — Jekyll Island
(Left text) William Horton worked and lived on this island until his death in 1748. He made numerous improvements to the land, unfortunately many of these buildings have been lost to time, and hidden by the sandy soil. Horton . . . — Map (db m17263) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort Saint Simons
. . . — Map (db m12183) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort St. Simons
On this site Fort St.Simons was built by English troops under command of General James Edward Oglethorpe in 1738. It guarded the entrance to the Frederica River through which ships must pass to reach Fort Frederica. With nearby Delegal's Fort, . . . — Map (db m81904) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-8 — Hamilton Plantation
In 1800 James Hamilton, with his partner John Couper, purchased land at Gascoigne Bluff. Under Hamilton’s stewardship, Hamilton Plantation became one of the major St. Simons producers of long-staple cotton. After Hamilton moved to Philadelphia, . . . — Map (db m19084) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 63-3 — S.S. Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge Attacked by U-123
After midnight on April 8, 1942, the German submarine U-123 was in position off the St. Simons Island sea buoy. Minutes later it chased and torpedoed two tankers, the Oklahoma and Esso Baton Rouge, killing twenty-two crew members. Survivors were . . . — Map (db m15609) HM
Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — 082-2 — Jenkins Court House←—«
Jenkins County was organized from territory cut from Burke, Screven, Bulloch, and Emanuel counties in 1905, and officially began its function as a new political unit on Jan. 1, 1906. The first court house was completed in March, 1908 and burned . . . — Map (db m13149) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Museum
Established by South Carolina Calvinists of English and Scottish extraction in 1752, the small settlement of Midway became `the cradle of the Revolutionary spirit in Georgia`. Two of Georgia`s three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Lyman . . . — Map (db m8941) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — New Life For Dorchester Academy 1932-1940Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
J. Roosevelt Jenkins, who was Dorchester Academy's assistant principal, science teacher and athletic director, replaced Elizabeth Moore as principal after her death in 1932. He continued to strengthen the school's curriculum and the . . . — Map (db m9058) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — The Sunbury Cemetery
( Left Text ) The plan of Sunbury consisted of three community-owned squares: King's Square, Meeting Square, and Church Square. You are standing in the area that was once Church Square. This 350 by 350-foot area held the church to the . . . — Map (db m9239) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-35 — Birthplace of the Augusta Chronicle
On this site August 30, 1785, Greenburg Hughes published Augusta`s first newspaper, the Augusta Gazette, which continued, after he went to Charleston, until September 30, 1786, when John Erdman Smith, State Printer, began publishing the Georgia . . . — Map (db m10092) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-3 — Church Of The Most Holy TrinityEstablished in 1810
The current sanctuary was constructed from 1857-63 and is one of the oldest Catholic Church buildings in Georgia. It was designed by J.R. Niernsee, architect of the State House in Columbia, South Carolina. The original 1814 structure served as the . . . — Map (db m9993) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Colonel William Few, Jr.
[Marker Front]: One of Georgia's two signers of the United States Constitution. Born in Baltimore, Maryland June 18, 1748. Lieutenant Colonel, Georgia Militia during the American Revolution, 1776-1770. Representative, Georgia . . . — Map (db m10108) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Confederate Obelisk-Chimney
(West side) This Obelisk-Chimney, Sole remnant of the extensive powder-works here erected under the auspices of the Confederate Government. Is, by the Confederate Survivors Association of Augusta, with . . . — Map (db m32871) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-15 — Explosion At The Confederate Powder Works
In August, 1864, a violent explosion destroyed the granulating building of the Augusta Powder Works, one of the 28 buildings of the Confederacy’s massive gunpowder mill along Augusta Canal. Eight men and a boy died when 18,000 pounds of gunpowder . . . — Map (db m53946) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Great Indian Trading Path
The colonial Great Indian Trading Path crossed land now a part of Augusta College and followed a part of the present McDowell Street. It was variously called Trading Road, Augusta Road, and the Creek Indian Path. Early platts show it on land owned . . . — Map (db m10008) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-22 — Home of John Forsyth››—→
This house was part of the home of John Forsyth located on this property. As U.S. Minister to Spain, in 1819 Forsyth negotiated the treaty by which Florida was acquired by the United States. He was Congressman from Georgia, 1813- 1818; 1823- 1827; . . . — Map (db m33624) HM
Georgia (Toombs County), Vidalia — 138-2 — Paul Anderson1932~1994 World's Strongest Man
Paul Anderson was born October 17, 1932 in Toccoa and attended Furman University where he began lifting weights. In 1955 he traveled as a goodwill ambassador from the United States to the Soviet Union and there his lifting surpassed many world . . . — Map (db m59111) HM
Georgia (Treutlen County), Soperton — 140-3 — Treutlen County
Treutlen County was created by Act of Aug. 21, 1917 from Emanuel and Montgomery Counties. It was named for Gov. John Adam Treutlen (1726- 1782), "one of the foremost revolutionists." Elected Governor over Button Gwinnett in 1777, he was declared a . . . — Map (db m23644) HM
Georgia (Ware County), Waycross — Ware County Georgia World War I Memorial
Spirit of the American Doughboy Dedicated to the memory of our comrades who entered the service of thier country from Ware County and who gave their lives in the World War — Map (db m23882) HM WM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — U.S. Naval Base Pearl Harbor
U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and . . . — Map (db m4526) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — 700 South Peters
. . . — Map (db m54330) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — The French MarketRebuilt 1936-1938
[Panel 1]: Ancient French Market dates its legal birth from September 10, 1784, when the “Authorities of Justice and Administration” decided that all retailers in the city should conduct their businesses on this spot. In 1791 . . . — Map (db m51556) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harwood — Rawlings’ Tavern
Jonathan Rawlings given a license to keep an “ordinary” (tavern) in 1771. George Washington dined here September 26, 1773, on his way to the Annapolis races. — Map (db m3141) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Federal Retreat4:30-5:00 p.m. July 9, 1864
The Northerners held, then lost, then retook the Thomas house grounds as the fighting ebbed and flowed in the stifling heat. Casualties mounted quickly on both sides. Union Maj. Gen. Lew Wallace could see that his numbers were dwindling and that the . . . — Map (db m3274) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — 1921
The Dentzel carousel came to the park in 1921 as a replacement for a smaller carousel. Built in the Philadelphia style, the hand-carved, wooden animals create a menagerie type featuring rabbits, ostriches, a giraffe, a lion, a tiger and a deer in . . . — Map (db m3224) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — The Bowie Caboose
A caboose was the accustomed conclusion to any freight train, and served many roles. It allowed crewmen to keep a lookout for how the freight cars were functioning as the train moved along. It provided a place to rest and eat for the crew working on . . . — Map (db m65393) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Berlin — St. Martin's Church
Established around 1692 as a chapel-of-ease for Snow Hill Parish, and later, in 1744, designated as the principal church of Worcester Parish. The original frame building was replaced with this Georgian brick structure, completed in 1764. — Map (db m3773) HM
Mississippi (Lauderdale County), Meridian — Meridian
Formerly Sowashee, it was chartered 1860, and throve as rail junction during the Civil War, serving in 1863 as temporary capital and as depository of the state's official records. — Map (db m59695) HM
Mississippi (Lee County), Tupelo — Battle of TupeloThe Western Campaign, 1864
In the summer of 1864, General Forrest's hard hitting troops in Northern Mississippi threatened the supplies of General Sherman's campaign against Atlanta. Therefore, General A. J. Smith marched 14,000 Union troops against Forrest. He reached Tupelo . . . — Map (db m6784) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Vicksburg Siege
Beginning on May 16, 1863, Gen. U.S. Grant held city under siege, cutting off all supplies & driving citizens to caves to escape shells. C.S.A. Gen. John C. Pemberton finally surrendered July 4. — Map (db m39572) HM
New Mexico (San Juan County), Shiprock — Shiprock
This huge volcanic neck was formed in Pliocene times, over 3,000,000 years ago. It rises 1700 feet above the surrounding plain and is famed in legends of the Navajo as "Sa-bit-tai-e" (the rock with the wings). They hold that it was the . . . — Map (db m30013) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Taos — Historic Taos Plaza
Capitan Hernan Alvarado and his conquistadors from the famous Francisco Vasquez de Coronado Expedition arrived here on August 29, 1540. It is estimated that the Tiwa Indians settled in this valley around 1350 A.D. The name Taos is believed to be an . . . — Map (db m66697) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — B-27 — Matthew Rowan
Acting governor, 1753-54. Councilor, assemblyman, and Surveyor General. Merchant in the Irish trade. His home was here. — Map (db m67566) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-16 — Burning Of Washington
The town was burned and shelled by evacuating United States troops in April, 1864. — Map (db m64759) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-24 — Josephus Daniels
Secretary of the Navy, 1913-21; Ambassador to Mexico; editor; author. Birthplace stood here. — Map (db m67565) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — Hotel District(of Asheville, N.C.)
An ornamental eagle perched high in front of the Eagle Hotel one block south. Irish immigrant James Patton opened the hostelry in 1814. Almost opposite the Eagle, the Swannanoa Hotel began operation in 1878, making South Main Street - now . . . — Map (db m57588) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Fairview — P-60 — Sherrill's Inn
Established in 1834 to serve travelers crossing Hickory Nut Gap. In continuous service until 1909. House stands 300 yards south. — Map (db m57303) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 219 - 221 N. Main1962 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Built by Norman Farnsworth, this building filled the last vacant lot on Main Street. Tenants of the two-storefront building have been Fred Toms Furniture Outlet, credit & financial companies, and the Added Touch gift shop. Western Auto . . . — Map (db m33056) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 412-414 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca.1920 Originally a brick facade, the Pickwick lunches & billiards was here from 1937 until 1955. Rosenberg's Men's Wear and Wade's Shoes shared the building in the late 1950s. Mac's Men's Wear operated here from 1960 until 2007. . . . — Map (db m33641) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Hendersonville Gulf War Memorial
In Honor of the Citizens of Henderson County who served their country in the Gulf War and in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and on Terrorism at home and abroad and for the sacrifices of their families. — Map (db m20453) WM
North Carolina (Nash County), Rocky Mount — E-118 — Operation Dixie
Black leaf house workers in eastern N.C. unionized in 1946. First pro-union vote, at tobacco factory 1 block W., precursor to civil rights movement. — Map (db m48914) HM
North Carolina (Pitt County), Grifton — F-3 — John Lawson
Author of "History of Carolina," explorer, and Surveyor-General, was executed Sept. 20, 1711, by Tuscarora Indians at Catechna. Site 4 mi. N. — Map (db m65276) HM
North Carolina (Wayne County), Goldsboro — F 35 — Charles B. Aycock
Governor of North Carolina, 1901-1905. Crusader for universal education. His law office is 2 blocks S.W. — Map (db m31550) HM
North Carolina (Wayne County), Goldsboro — First Pentecostal Holiness Church Congregation
On this Courthouse Square November 1, 1898, the First Pentecostal Holiness Church Congregation was organized with nine charter members. J.J. Street                  W.H. Huggans             I.L. Puryer                 Mr. & Mrs. E.L. . . . — Map (db m67950) HM
North Carolina (Wayne County), Goldsboro — F 24 — Wm. T. Dortch
Confederate Senator, Speaker State House of Representatives, head of commission to codify State laws, 1883. Home is 1, grave 6, blocks S. — Map (db m31553) HM
Oklahoma (Caddo County), Anadarko — Tecumseh1768 - 1813 — Shawnee
A noted warrior / statesman who conceived a confederation of Indian Tribes to stem the flow of white migration, revitalize tribal culture and preserve tribal lands along the Mississippi Valley. Killed in the Battle of Thames River, 1813 . . . — Map (db m11498) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Major General John Reynolds
. . . — Map (db m16876) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — William WellsBrevet Major General U.S. Volunteers — 1837 - 1892
(Left):William Wells Brevet Major General U.S. Vols. 1837 - 1892 First Lieut. Co. E. 1st Vermont Cavalry Oct. 14 1861 Captain Co. C. Nov. 18 1861 Major Dec. 30 1862 Colonel July 2 1864 Brevet Brigadier General U.S. Vols. Feb. 22 1865 Brevet . . . — Map (db m15525) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–16 — Aiken Institute
The Aiken Institute, which gave this area the name of “Institute Hill,” was chartered in 1888. The main building, designed by I.F. Goodrich in 1891, includes a wing added in 1913. All grades attended the Institute until 1937, when a . . . — Map (db m9942) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2–12 — St. Thaddeus Church
This Episcopal Church (cornerstone laid Sept. 5, 1842) was consecrated Aug. 9, 1843. It is the city’s oldest church structure, having retained its Greek revival style through subsequent remodeling. Church purchased bell in 1853, Cornish . . . — Map (db m19634) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — 2-41 — World War II POW Camp
German prisoners of war were held in a camp on this site from November 1943 to May 1946. This camp, one of 21 in S.C., was at first a sub-camp of the POW camp at Camp Gordon (now Fort Gordon), in Augusta, Ga. It was later a sub-camp of Fort . . . — Map (db m36396) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2–18 — Downer Institute & School / Downer School, 1924–1986
Downer Institute & School Downer Institute, founded in 1843, was originally located 1.5 mi. NE of this site and operated until 1865. It was named for benefactor Alexander Downer (1752–1820), whose will established an orphanage and school . . . — Map (db m9994) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-4 — Historic Church
This church was built in 1836 by Beech Island Presbyterian Church, organized in 1827 with the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt of Vermont as first pastor. His son-in-law the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained and served here. His daughter, Ellen, wife of Woodrow . . . — Map (db m9909) HM
South Carolina (Allendale County), Fairfax — 3-11 — Fairfax
[front text] Fairfax, chartered in 1893 and incorporated in 1896, grew out of an early community centered around Owens' Crossroads, where a store was established in 1814, and later including Bethlehem Baptist Church ( now First . . . — Map (db m7082) HM
South Carolina (Barnwell County), Blackville — Blackville
A Glimpse into Blackville's Past The South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company began construction of what was to be the longest continuous rail for commercially operated steam locomotives in 1830. The track was to connect Charleston and . . . — Map (db m46791) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort South Carolina Tricentennial1711-2011 300
Beaufort 300 We celebrate and recognize the proud citizens who gave generously to create and erect these monuments to honor Beaufort's 300th Birthday January 17th 2011. (Plaque 1)    Prior to the founding of . . . — Map (db m67284) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Fort Howell - 1864
An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the civil War era, Fort Howell was constructed by Union Forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. . . . — Map (db m6801) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-13 — Revolutionary War Ambush
In December 1781, returning from a patrol with the Patriot Militia, Charles Devant was mortally wounded from ambush near here by Captain Martinangel's Royal Militia from Daufuskie Island. He managed to ride his horse to his nearby plantation, Two . . . — Map (db m33789) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8- 22 — Berkeley County
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m21958) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Hugar — 8-11 — Pompion Hill Chapel
One quarter mile north, the first Church of England ediface outside of Charleston, was erected of Cypress in 1703, largely through the efforts of Gov. Sir Nathaniel Johnson. The present brick structure was erected in 1763. The Parish of St. Thomas, . . . — Map (db m24463) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Huger — 8-10 — Quenby Bridge
At this bridge, on July 17,1781, British forces under Col. Coates, who was retreating from Moncks Corner, encountered pursuing Americans under Gen. Thomas Sumter. After the destruction of the bridge, Col. Coates sought refuge under cover of the . . . — Map (db m41914) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Mudville — 8- 22B — Berkeley County
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m22541) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), St. Stephen — 8-34 — St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
(Marker Front) St. Stephen’s, built 1767-69, is a fine example of the rural churches built in the S.C. lowcountry before the Revolution. “The Church is one of the handsomest Country Churches in So. Ca. and would be no mean ornament in . . . — Map (db m29329) HM
South Carolina (Calhoun County), Wiles Crossroads — 9-9 — Mount Pleasant Baptist Church
[Front]: The first church built by African Americans at Fort Motte grew out of services held by slaves at nearby Bellville, Goshen, Lang Syne, and Oakland plantations. It was formally organized in 1867 by Caleb Bartley, Israel . . . — Map (db m26789) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 113 Ashley AvenueBennett - Hayne House — circa 1800
This two-and-one-half-story Adam Style house was built circa 1800 by Thomas Bennett, Jr., (1781-1865). Bennett served as intendent of Charleston (1812-1813) and governor of South Carolina (1820-1822). The frame structure rests on a raised . . . — Map (db m50820) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Dr. William Cleland's Housecirca 1732
This early Georgian single house was apparently built by George Ducat, a shipwright, for his daughter Margaret, on her second marriage in 1732, to Dr. William Cleland, of Crail, Scotland. This section of Tradd Street is one of the few within the . . . — Map (db m39321) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Poyas-Mordecai HouseA Private Residence — c. 1788
Dr. Jean Ernest Poyas built this classic Charleston single house in elegant Adamesque style of architecture. It was purchased in 1837 by Moses Cohen Mordecai, an important historic figure, who added the piazzas and connected the main house to the . . . — Map (db m27458) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Colonel Alexander Hext Tenements51-53 Tradd Street — circa 1736
This Georgian double-tenement is located on part of lot number 60 of the Grand Modell, a city plan developed between 1670-1680. Lot number 60 was granted originally to Robert Tradd, after whose family Tradd Street is named. The property was . . . — Map (db m39323) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Moses C. Levy House
circa 1816 Moses C. Levy, a Polish born King Street merchant, built this valuable Federal style single house between 1811 and 1816. The house is located on land originally owned by Henry Laurens, one of the wealthiest merchants in the United . . . — Map (db m51808) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — To the Defenders of Fort Moultrie
[Front of Monument:] [Upper Plaque:] Second South Carolina Regiment Army of the Revolution Organized June 17, 1775 [Lower Plaque:] “To the Defenders Of Fort Moultrie June The 28th . . . — Map (db m19167) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Fort Johnson, James Island — Site of Fort Johnson
Site of Fort Johnson In 1776 Prior to the battle of Sullivan's Island General William Moultrie here raised The First Flag of Liberty This building was a unit of the fort. (Emblem: D.A.R.) Placed by Rebecca Motte Chapter . . . — Map (db m40075) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), James Island — Grice Marine Laboratory
The George D. Grice Marine Biological Laboratory In grateful appreciation of his forsight and tireless efforts which resulted in the establishment of this center for the study of and research in Marine Biology, the . . . — Map (db m58758) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Ronkin's Long Room / Ferry Service
(Front): Ronkin's Long Room The crew of the Confederate submarine, H.L. Hunley, commanded by Lt. George Dixon, was temporarily quartered at Ronkin’s Long Room, 205 Ferry Street, in early 1864. The building, previously known as Shell Hall, . . . — Map (db m38051) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — 10-10 — War of 1812 Encampment
(Front text) On June 18, 1812, the United States declared war against Great Britain. One of the first units to be mustered into service was the Third Regiment of South Carolina Militia, which was stationed at Haddrell's Point, west of here, . . . — Map (db m39505) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — World War II Submarine Lost Boat Memorial
Still On Patrol –– • –– U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 Officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines still on "patrol." . . . — Map (db m42750) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), North Charleston — 41 For Freedom
The Navy's SSBN (Nuclear Powered Ballistic Missile Submarine) force enjoyed a unique relationship with Charleston. Operating from here with other submarines-the SS's (Diesel powered subs) and SSN's (Nuclear powered subs), these SSBN's, each . . . — Map (db m66180) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), North Charleston — Greyhounds Of The Fleet
This Destroyer represents the long line of surface warships - Destroyers and Cruisers - which operated from the Charleston Navy Base from prior to WW I and continuing to 1995. More than fifty Destroyers, Destroyer Escorts, Sub Chasers, Cutters . . . — Map (db m66614) HM WM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Ravenel — Champneys' Pink Cluster
In 1802, on his rice plantation in nearby Rantowles, John Champneys hybridized the first rose in America. "Champneys' Pink Cluster" was a cross between the European "Millers' White Musk" rose (Rosa Moschata) and "Parsons' Pink China" rose (Old . . . — Map (db m39757) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Gable — 14-5 — Revolutionary Skirmish Near Tearcoat Branch
On the night of October 25, 1780, Col. Francis Marion with 150 men surprised and completely routed 200 Torries under Col. Samuel Tynes near here. Marion's forces suffered no casualties. With the dispersion of Tynes's troops, Lord Cornwallis became . . . — Map (db m23611) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Summerton — 14-11 — Taw Caw Church
In 1885 this black baptist church bought the building here, said built about 1860, from white Taw Caw church,now Summerton. Building additions have been made over the years. — Map (db m24131) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Jacksonboro — Colonel Issac Hayne
As a grateful and reverential tribute to A noble martyr in behalf of liberty The State Of South Carolina Has erected this memorial to Colonel Issac Hayne who was captured near here by the British July 6, 1781, and in violation . . . — Map (db m8790) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — Walterboro
Settled by Paul and Jacob Walter in 1784. Became a summer resort for Edisto, Combahee and Ashepoo planters. Incorporated in 1826. Since 1822 the County Seat of Colleton. In the court house was held, June 1826, the first Nullification Meeting under . . . — Map (db m7084) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Dorchester — 18-7 — Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern
Four Holes Swamp Bridge The first bridge across Four Holes Swamp, a branch of the Edisto River, was built between 1770 and 1780 and was located about 200 ft. N. of the present bridge. The old bridge, on the road from Orangeburg to Charleston, . . . — Map (db m26704) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Summerville — 18-2 — Parish Church of St. George, Dorchester
St. George's, an Anglican parish, was erected in 1717. A brick church 50 ft. long and 30 ft. wide with a chancel 15 by 5 feet, begun in August 1719, was enlarged in the 1730's. The tower was built before 1753 and in 1766 held four bells. Burned by . . . — Map (db m22894) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-7 — Village Academy / Furman Academy and Theological Institute
Village Academy Organized in 1811, the Edgefield Village Academy was located for many years on this site acquired from Col. Eldred Simkins in 1825. The South Carolina Coeducational Institute was located here from 1903-1913. During . . . — Map (db m12700) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Estill — 25-4 — Lawtonville Church
This Baptist Church, constituted in March 1775, was first situated on Pipe Creek in upper St. Peter's Parish near the Savannah River. Prior to 1836 it was moved to Lawtonville, where its building was used as a hospital by Union Forces in . . . — Map (db m16476) HM
South Carolina (Hampton County), Lawtonville Crossroads — 25-7 — Morrison Academy
In old Lawtonville Community, across from this site, was the first Morrison Academy. a one-room elementary and college preparatory school. It was later moved 3.4 miles north of here on Orangeburg Road to be near the home of Rev. John Timothy . . . — Map (db m10462) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grays — 27-25 — Grays Consolidated High School
( Front text ) This school, built in 1927 and rebuilt in 1931, was one of many constructed in the late 1920s, as small rural one- or two-room schools were consolidated into elementary or high schools in towns and cities. Built on . . . — Map (db m26370) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 27-4 — Church of the Holy Trinity
((Text front)) This Episcopal church was a chapel of ease in the Parish of St. Luke for a number of years before it became a separate congregation in 1835. It is said that William Heyward gave the church land on which the present building, . . . — Map (db m6182) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 28-10 — Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse
( Front Text) Jasper County This county was established in 1912 from portions of Beaufort and Hampton counties and is named, it is said, for Sergeant William Jasper, hero of the American Revolution. The same act establishing the new . . . — Map (db m26372) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), English Crossroads — 31-7 — Rev. Thomas Reese English
One mile east stood the home of T.R. English, Presbyterian minister, statesman, delegate to the Secession Convention. After attending S.C. College, he was admitted to the Bar and served as a legislator, 1830-1832. Ordained in 1833, as the evangelist . . . — Map (db m28595) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — Bowman S.C.Memorial
James Edward Easterlin Born Apr. 8, 1892 Lost on U.S.S. Cyclops, Mar. 4, 1918. —–— John Wesley Weathers Born Apr. 17, 1895 Lost on U.S.S. Cyclops, Mar. 4, 1918. —–— John Moorer Livingston . . . — Map (db m50537) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutaw Springs — 70000593 — Eutaw Springs Battlefield Park
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives And History Eutaw Springs Battlefield Park — Map (db m50720) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-27 — The Orangeburg Massacre
On February 8, 1968, after three nights of escalating racial tension over efforts by S.C. State College students and others to desegregate the All Star Bowling Lanes, 3 students died and 27 others were wounded on this campus. S.C. Highway . . . — Map (db m25299) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), near Irmo — 40-95 — St. Paul Church / Oak Grove
St. Paul Church One of the first black churches after the Civil War, St. Paul AME began as Oak Grove African Methodist Episcopal Church. Local tradition says that the original small congregation worshipped in the 1850s in the "Bush Arbor;" . . . — Map (db m35996) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-150 — Bethel A.M.E. Church
(Front text) This church, founded in 1866, was one of the first separate African-American congregations established in Columbia after the Civil War. It met in buildings on Wayne St., at Lincoln & Hampton Sts., and at Sumter & Hampton Sts. . . . — Map (db m28074) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Elliott College1837
Named for Stephen Elliott, first president of the Bank of the State of South Carolina and noted botanist. Elliot College, a residence hall, was one of the first historic Horseshoe buildings to undergo extensive remodeling under the Horseshoe . . . — Map (db m22241) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Gonzales Tribute
(West face) Erected By popular subscription A Tribute To the worth and service of N.G. Gonzales, Born August 5, 1858, Died January 19,1903. —–— "Faithful unto death." Gonzales (North face) A . . . — Map (db m21926) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-91 — Harden Street
This street was named for William Harden, a native South Carolinian. In 1776 he was given command of Ft. Lyttelton near Beaufort by the Second Provincial Congress of which he was a member. In 1781, serving as colonel under Francis Marion, he . . . — Map (db m21776) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-82 — Henderson Street
This street is named for Brig. Gen. William Henderson who was in the Third S.C. Regiment at the fall of Charleston in 1780. He was captured, imprisoned, and later exchanged. In 1781, he was wounded while commanding a brigade at the Battle of Eutaw . . . — Map (db m21741) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-111 — Howard School Site
Established after the Civil War, this public school for blacks was located at the NW corner of Hampton & Lincoln streets by 1869 and was partially supported by the Freedmen's Bureau. It is said the school was named for Oliver O. Howard, . . . — Map (db m46341) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-172 — Pine Grove Rosenwald School
(Front text) This school, built in 1923 at a cost of $2,500, is one of 500 African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation from 1917 to 1932. It is a two-room school typical of smaller Rosenwald . . . — Map (db m46343) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Richardson Square
This mall is named in honor of Richard Richardson 1704 - 1780 Brigadier General of militia in the American Revolution, Member of the First and Second Provincial Congresses, Commander of the 1775 Snow Campaign, and ancestor of six . . . — Map (db m40624) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-77 — Senate Street
The South Carolina General Assembly created Columbia as the state's capital city in 1786, and Senate Street was named for the upper house of that legislative body. In 1790, the General Assembly, which designated that the town be located on the . . . — Map (db m21873) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-20 — Site of Columbia Female Academy
Authorized by legislature 1792, the Columbia Female Academy was located here from about 1820 to 1883, when this property was leased to Columbia Public School Commissioners, two of whom still represent the Academy Board. The remodeled academy . . . — Map (db m28042) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Hopkins — Harriet Barber House
The Harriet Barber House, the home of Reverend Samuel Barber and his wife Harriet McPherson Barber, is significant for its association with the South Carolina Land Commission during the late nineteenth century. Samuel Barber purchased a . . . — Map (db m38823) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Irmo — 40-109 — Bethlehem Church
The organization date of this Lutheran church is unknown. In 1788, however, Bethlehem and fourteen other churches signed the articles of the "Corpus Evangelicum," an early church supervising body. By 1815, Bethlehem's first known building had been . . . — Map (db m42197) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Spring Hill — 40-120 — Spring Hill
This community, named by 1791 for the springs at the foot of the Stone Hill, included Eleazer's Tavern, a post office, schools, grist mills, and Spring Hill Baptist Church before the Civil War. In February 1865, as the war ended in S.C., Federal . . . — Map (db m42379) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — Church of the Holy Cross
The Church of the Holy Cross began as a chapel of ease to St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Clarendon County. In 1788, it was granted a charter as the Episcopal Church of Claremont. On September 11, 1850, the cornerstone of the present . . . — Map (db m43201) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Stateburg — 43-19 — William Tennent
Third Presbyterian preacher of this name, Tennent died several miles south in 1777. He was born in 1740 of a renowned family of ministers and educators. From 1772 he served as pastor of the Independent Church of Charlestown. As a patriot, he . . . — Map (db m88442) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Wedgefield — 43-35 — Wedgefield Presbyterian Church
(Front text) This church was founded in 1881 with assistance from Harmony Presbytery. It had 12 charter members, with elders Cornelius McLaurin and James Caldwell and deacons Dr. Henry J. McLaurin and Edward H. McCutchen. Rev. H.B. Garris, . . . — Map (db m27238) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-3 — Battle of Kingstree
Somewhere northwest of Kingstree on the night of Aug. 27, 1780, while scouting for Gen. Marion, a South Carolina militia company led by Maj. John James attacked a British force sent to ravage Williamsburg District, capturing prisoners and . . . — Map (db m25000) HM
Tennessee (Hamilton County), Chattanooga — A US — Military History of Chattanooga
This city was first occupied by Confederate troops in the spring of 1862 under Generals Floyd, Maxey and Leadbetter. Union troops under General Mitchell shelled it June 7 and 8. Bragg's Army occupied it in August preparing for the Kentucky campaign, . . . — Map (db m81670) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — William Mozart McVey1905-1995
A versatile sculptor of people, animals, birds and religious symbols, McVey attended the University of Texas and taught art there and at Rice University. He played football at Rice under the legendary coach John Heisman in 1924. McVey studied and . . . — Map (db m7286) HM
Texas (Dallas County), Dallas — 6895 — Formerly The Texas School Book Depository Building
This site was originally owned by John Neely Bryan, the founder of Dallas. During the 1880s French native Maxime Guillot operated a wagon shop here. In 1894 the land was purchased by Phil L. Mitchell, President and Director of Rock Island Plow . . . — Map (db m4661) HM
Texas (Hill County), Brandon — 3693 — Old Brandon Mill1 1/2 miles Southwest
One of earliest grist mills in Hill County. Built (1868) by Dr. Jas. T. Harrington, who also founded town of Brandon. Corn meal, basic to settlers' diet, was ground here. Dr. Harrington built a dam on White Rock Creek near here as a water source for . . . — Map (db m62719) HM
Texas (Hill County), near Whitney — 1985 — Fort Graham Cemetery
Settlement in this area began shortly after Fort Graham, a frontier military post established here in 1849, was abandoned in 1853. The first recorded burial in this cemetery, named after the fort, was that of infant Charley Botkin in 1879. The . . . — Map (db m62018) HM
Texas (Hill County), near Whitney — 13501 — Huron
The U.S. Army established Fort Graham in this area in 1849. Although the fort closed in 1853, the presence of the troops stationed there had prompted the development of settlements throughout this part of Hill County. By 1860, James Monroe and . . . — Map (db m60213) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 6226 — Capt. Charles Henry Allyn
New York native Charles Henry Allyn (1842-1918) came to Texas in 1868, after having served as a captain in the Union army during the Civil War. Capt. Allyn arrived in Corsicana with his wife, Angela (Aldrich), in 1871. As a Corsicana businessman, he . . . — Map (db m60715) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 11605 — Corsicana in 1860-1872
A center of patriotism especially committed to the Southern cause. After the Nov. 1860 presidential election, citizens lowered the Stars and Stripes and ran up the Texas flag on the Courthouse. Early in 1861 influential men beat drums on the Square . . . — Map (db m61783) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 11646 — R.N. WhiteFirst County Clerk First Corsicana Postmaster
A native of South Carolina, Robert Newton White (1810-1891) moved his family to this area in 1845. One year later Navarro County was created and White was elected the first County clerk, a position he held for ten years. During that time he . . . — Map (db m63721) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 11639 — State National Bank of Corsicana
Organized in 1917 by B. B. Munsey, G. C. Dunn, P. D. Williams, and E. L. Dupuy, the State National Bank originally was located just off the southwest corner of Collin and Beaton streets. Munsey served as the institution's first president. He was . . . — Map (db m61000) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Corsicana — 11640 — Tatum Home
Built before 1900 by William M. Tatum, son of a Corsicana pioneer merchant, this colonial revival style mansion features first-floor palladian windows. Massive Ionic columns support the two-story porch. Tatum's son Clifford A., who later took over . . . — Map (db m60998) HM
Texas (Navarro County), Frost — 7201 — Frost
Prior to 1887 the community of Cross Roads existed two miles south of this location. The town of Frost was created when a post office was established in March of that year to serve settlements west of Corsicana along the St. Louis, Arkansas, and . . . — Map (db m60211) HM
Texas (Smith County), Tyler — 16090 — Camp Ford
Stockade prison of Federal soldiers during the Civil War — Map (db m33408) HM
Virgin Islands (St. Thomas), Charlotte Amalie — America's First Lady Addressed the People of St. Thomas(Emancipation Park)
. . . — Map (db m40458) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Landing Craft Support Ships
This Oak planted as a Memorial to the WWII sailors who manned the U.S. Navy Landing Craft Support Ships. Was Dedicated By The National Association of USS LCS(L) 1-130 On 26 August 1994. "We were the Mighty Midgets... The small . . . — Map (db m62351) WM
Virginia, Franklin — War Comes to the Blackwater
During the first three years of the War Between the States, the Franklin railhead was the terminus of the Blackwater - Chowan corridor. The Confederate commissary used this route to deliver the millions of pounds of goods from eastern North Carolina . . . — Map (db m18146) HM
Virginia, Lexington — Jackson's Garden
This backyard kitchen garden provided the household with a variety of flowers, fruit and vegetables. Major Jackson reported in an 1860 letter that the garden included, “lima beans, snap beans, carrots, parsnips, salsify, onions, cabbage, . . . — Map (db m15640) HM
Virginia (Northampton County), Cape Charles — WY 73 — Cape Charles Colored School
Constructed in 1928, this school opened about 1930 for African American children in Cape Charles during legalized segregation. The building was constructed with contributions from the local African American community, the State Literary Fund, . . . — Map (db m51004) HM
Virginia, Suffolk — U-128 — Nansemond County Training School
Two miles south stood the Nansemond County training School, he first high school in the county for African American students. It was constructed in 1924 with $5,000 contributed by African American families, $11,500 in public money, and $1,500 from . . . — Map (db m22945) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Shepherdstown — Spirit of 1775 Beeline March to Cambridge
On 11 June 1775, the Second Continental Congress authorized the raising of ten companies of riflemen in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia to aid General George Washington at the British siege of Boston. The Berkeley County Committee of . . . — Map (db m58006) HM

3563 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3363
Paid Advertisement