Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

333 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 133
 
Car 2732 image, Touch for more information
By Tom Fuchs, April 8, 2006
Car 2732
Bahamas, New Providence, Nassau — The Bahamas Grant1629 1929
To commemorate the grant of these islands by His Majesty King Charles the First to Sir Robert Heath Attorney General of England on the 30th day of October 1629 — Map (db m32434) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — 21 — Free Mason's Lodge
This Lodge was set up in 1855 by the first president of the Turks & Caicos Islands, Mr. Frederick Forth, and was called the 'Turks Islands Forth Lodge.' Mr. Forth, himself, was a member and local legend has it that President Forth may have . . . — Map (db m40274) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Grand Turk Historic Lighthouse
During the Lighthouse's first forty years of use, wrecks continued along the northern coast. Ship captains complained that the light was too dim or not lit at all. Some believe that the dimming of the light was done intentionally to cause ship . . . — Map (db m40454) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — Lighthouse Keeper's Residence & Bermuda Kitchen — Grand Turk
The Grand Turk Lighthouse had two keepers, the Principal and the Assistant. It is believed that before 1890 the keepers may have lived on location at the site of the present-day Pavilion. Meals were prepared in the seperate Bermuda Kitchen, typical . . . — Map (db m40793) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #13 — St. Mary’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral Church
This church was first built as a ‘chapel of ease’ in 1900 to accommodate the parishioners of Cockburn Town. At that time, St. Thomas’ Church, which was the first church in Grand Turk, was quite a distance from the town and made it particularly . . . — Map (db m30674) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #22 — Sunnyside
This house, which always has been known as Sunnyside, was originally located on a cay off South Caicos called Sail Rock Cay. It was built in the 1870s and has the distinction of being one of the most famous houses on Front Street. It was moved board . . . — Map (db m30404) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — The History of the West( Grand Turk )
The western side of Grand Turk is the leeward side of the island. This is the side protected from high winds and storms. Because of this, it was the primary anchorage for the sailing vessels that came and went from Grand Turk for hundreds of years. . . . — Map (db m40351) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #16 — Todds
Todds, which was built in the 1880's, not only is the oldest variety store in the island, but also the only one still trading under its almost-original name and owned by the same family. The store was first owned by the Stubbs family who were the . . . — Map (db m31453) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — U.S. Naval Facility— Grand Turk —
In 1954 the U.S. Navy established a hydrographic research station on this northern promontory of Grand Turk, overlooking the strategic passage from the Atlantic Ocean. Quonset huts were erected to accommodate eleven officers and one-hundred enlisted . . . — Map (db m40833) HM
Turks and Caicos Islands, Grand Turk, Cockburn Town — #14 — Victoria Public Library
The Library was built in 1887 - the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee - on the old parade ground used by the local militia, yet it was not completed until 1889. It was reputed to have cost UK £568. Public events such as cultural concerts are . . . — Map (db m30354) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Boll Weevil MonumentDecember 11, 1919
In profound appreciation of the Boll Weevil and what it has done as the Herald of Prosperity this monument was erected by the Citizens of Enterprise, Coffee County, Alabama — Map (db m30306) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Enterprise Depot
This building was built in 1903 with additions in 1916 and 1997. The first freight shipments and passengers came here on the Alabama Midland railroad in 1898 immediately after construction of the roadbed. That was also the year when most of the . . . — Map (db m30307) HM
Alabama (Coffee County), Enterprise — Rawls Hotel
Original two-story brick structure built 1903 by Japheth Rawls, developer of some of earliest turpentine plants in Coffee County. Building remodeled 1928 and three-story wings added by Jesse P. Rawls, founder of first electric power system in . . . — Map (db m30308) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Lutz — Old Lutz Elementary SchoolErected 1927
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior August 15, 1996 — Map (db m32216) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Plant City — Cow CavalryIn Memory — Co. B 1st Battalion       Fl. Special Cavalry C. S. A.
(Front face)1863 - 1865 Erected by Plant City Chapter #1931 United Daughters of the Confederacy November 17, 2007 By 1863 the Confederate Army was suffering severe food shortages. Capt. John T. Lesley was commissioned to recruit from . . . — Map (db m46292) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ruskin — De Soto TrailStaking Their Claim — 1539-1540
( Left panel ) You are standing along the historic route of the conquistador Hernando de Soto and his expedition through the Florida Native American territories in his quest for gold and glory …[ Map ] "The Florida Expedition" . . . — Map (db m44843) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Ruskin — F-246 — Ruskin College President's Home
Ruskin College opened in 1910 as a coeducational industrial and liberal arts college. It was located on part of a large tract of land purchased by Dr. George McA. Miller beginning in 1907 for the purpose of establishing a cooperative college and a . . . — Map (db m44841) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — “Cuba”The Official Newspaper of the Cuban Revolutionary Party — 1887 – 1898
 On this site was published the historic newspaper “Cuba,” dedicated to the cause of Cuban Independence. “Cuba” was the successor of “El Crítico De Ybor City.” Its editor was Ramon Rivero y Rivero, a great . . . — Map (db m31940) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 400th Anniversary of the Landing of Panfilo de Narvaez
Commemorating the 400th anniversary of the landing of Panfilo de Narvaez, intreped [sic] Spanish Explorer and his four hundred brave companions The first white men to set foot upon the shores of Tampa Bay April 15, 1528. Erected April . . . — Map (db m33796) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Academy of The Holy Names
On Sept. 14, 1896, Sisters of the Holy Names established The Academy of The Holy Names by order of Bishop John Moore. Sisters Mary Emiline and Mary Hubert were the first teachers in this brick school.     On Nov. 29, 1896, Fr. William Tyrrell, . . . — Map (db m47916) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Alvar Nunez Cabeza de VacaConquistador..........,
   Treasurer of the ill-fated Panfilo de Narvez expedition, was first to write of the discovery of Tampa Bay, April 17, 1528, calling it "Bahia de la Cruz, the best harbor in the world."    After the disastrous trek through Florida the remaining . . . — Map (db m37665) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Angus R. GossMemorial Swimming Pool — 1962
In memory of Angus R. Goss Native Tampan, killed in action during World War II at New Georgia Islands on July 20, 1943 while serving in the 1st Marine Raider Division Received the Navy Cross and was cited for the Congressional . . . — Map (db m43836) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Anthony P. "Tony" Pizzo1912 - 1994
Beloved Civic Leader, Historian, Businessman and Author whose infectious enthusiasm inspired the preservation of Local History — Map (db m8849) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Anthony P. Pizzo(1912-1994)
Civic leader and historian, Tony Pizzo, was born in the family home at this location on September 22, 1912. Tony's pride in his community inspired him to research and document history that would have been lost without his efforts. His enthusiasm . . . — Map (db m33055) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Antonio Maceo GrajalesLugarteniente General, Ejercito Libertador de Cuba — Lieutenant General, Cuban Liberation Army
Born in Santiago de Cuba 14 June 1845. Rose from Private to Major General during the Ten-years War of Independence 1868-78. During the final War of Independence, he led the 1896 invasion of Cuba from Oriente across 750 miles of continual combat. . . . — Map (db m32198) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Battlefield
Site of Only Land Engagement at Tampa between Confederate & Union Forces, Oct. 17, 1863 A Federal detachment of 124 men from U. S. gunboat Tahoma & Steamer Adela after firing 2 blockade-runners moored upriver fell back under Confederate assault . . . — Map (db m44740) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Bruce B. Downs BoulevardThe Board of County Commissioners County of Hillsborough — Resolution
  WHEREAS, the Public Works Administration of Bruce B. Downs began a new era of commitment and progress in the public works programs of Hillsborough County; and,       WHEREAS, during his tenure as Deputy County Administrator for every area of his . . . — Map (db m35856) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — C. Cecilia MorseJune 3, 1838 - June 13, 1926 — Foundress of St. Anthony of Padua Catholic School in San Antonio, Florida
In 1883, as a young widow with 6 children, she moved to the Catholic colony of San Antonio, FL in Pasco County only to discover that there was no school. Telling the colony's founder "The minds of the children now here won't wait" she began teaching . . . — Map (db m37795) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-383 — Centro Español de Tampa
Chartered on September 7, 1891, El Centro Español was the first Latin club organized in Ybor City. As a mutual aid society, it provided early Spanish immigrants with a framework by which they maintained their identity and culture while . . . — Map (db m31711) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 74000632 — Centro Español de West Tampa
Centro Español de West Tampa has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1974 — Map (db m47463) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Charles Lafayette Knight"Charley" — May 31, 1928 - March 25, 1996
"Knight's Point" is dedicated in memory of Charley Knight, a native Tampan, well-known property appraiser and prominent collector of Native-American artifacts. Knight always had a keen interest in and fond feelings for the 177-acre tract of . . . — Map (db m36131) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Columbia RestaurantFounded 1905
The Columbia is the oldest and largest Spanish restaurant in the United States. It was opened as a cafe for cigarmakers by Casimiro Hernandez, Sr. When he died in 1930 his son Casimiro Hernandez, Jr. then brought it to its present glory. The . . . — Map (db m31702) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Courthouse Square
For 104 years this block was the official site of executive and judicial government for Hillsborough County, Florida. The first courthouse, a log building burned by Seminole Indians in 1836, possibly stood here. Subsequent ones were built on this . . . — Map (db m15730) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Cueto Boarding House
In 2003, this historic Ybor City boarding house was relocated from 1822 E. 14th Avenue and rehabilitated as part of a project by the Federal Highway Administration and the Florida Department of Transportation incooperation [sic] with the City . . . — Map (db m44029) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Dominican Proto-Martyrs of AmericaA.D. 1549   †   A.D. 1965
. . . — Map (db m33810) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-386 — El Centro Asturiano de Tampa
Spanish immigrants from the province of Asturias formed El Centro Asturiano de Tampa in 1902 as a mutual aid society to meet the recreational, social, educational, and medical needs of its members. In an effort to broaden the concept of . . . — Map (db m32185) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — El Chino — Pajarito Restaurant
Cuban exiles in the 1890's met to plot for independence at a restaurant operated on this site by the patriot Antonio Menendez, a Chinese from Cuba. Many revolutionaries on their way to join the Mambi Army in Cuba, were given warm welcome and free . . . — Map (db m15295) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-382 — El Circulo Cubano(Cuban Club)
Late 19th and early 20th century Cuban immigration to the United States was impressive for the craft talents brought to the country. Along with their Spanish counterparts, skilled Cuban cigarmakers made Tampa's hand-rolled cigars world-famous. As . . . — Map (db m31710) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 74000633 — Federal BuildingU.S. Courthouse — Downtown Postal Station, Tampa, Florida
Entered on the National Register of Historic Places June 7, 1974 Federal Building U.S. Courthouse Downtown Postal Station Tampa, Florida James Knox Taylor Architect      1902 This property significantly contributes to the . . . — Map (db m33943) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — First Lt. Baldomero LopezTampa Native — Awarded Congressional Medal Of Honor
During the Inchon invasion in Korea, September 15, 1950, Marine 1st Lieutenant Lopez's platoon was engaging the enemy. Exposing himself to hostile fire he attempted to hurl a grenade into the pillbox whose fire was pinning them down. Wounded, he . . . — Map (db m31703) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — First United Methodist ChurchTampa, Florida
On July 26, 1846, the first Methodist church in Tampa was organized with seventeen founding members. They worshipped in a primitive structure built of driftwood from nearby Fort Brooke. They called it the “Church-by-the-Sea”. This . . . — Map (db m43141) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gary
  The name Gary was officially recognized with the establishment of the Gary post office in 1898. The official plat of "Gary-Town" was recorded in May 1903. The Gary neighborhood included both Gary-Town and Spanish Park, located to its east. The . . . — Map (db m33926) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — George Washington Junior High School
The George Washington Junior High School was formerly located on this site. Along with the local Woodrow Wilson Junior High School, located in the Hyde Park neighborhood, the George Washington Junior High School was among the first junior high . . . — Map (db m32624) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-384 — German-American Club
Organized in 1901, the German-American Club was one of the few non-latin ethnic clubs in Tampa. Club members laid the cornerstone for a building on the northeast corner of Nebraska Avenue and 11th Avenue on February 23, 1908, followed by a . . . — Map (db m32372) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church
  New Salem Primitive Baptist Church came into existence from its "mother church," Mt. Moriah Primitive Baptist Church in Tampa. Rev. G.S. Crawford, from east Florida, organized New Salem in 1905, which first held services in a one-room building on . . . — Map (db m32838) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough County High School
The oldest high school building standing today in Hillsborough County is located at 2704 Highland Avenue in Tampa. It was designed by Wilson Potter of New York. The cornerstone reads HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL, but when it opened on October 12, . . . — Map (db m32380) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough LodgeNumber 25 F. & A. M.
Instituted January 24, 1850 The First Masonic Lodge in Tampa — Map (db m32866) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hillsborough River Ferry— 1846~1888 —
At the nearby junction of Jackson Street and the Hillsborough River was the east bank docking site of the Tampa Ferry, the only means of crossing the river in pioneer days. The ferry was an open deck, flat barge, hand pulled by means of a steel . . . — Map (db m33800) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Emilio Pons Cigar Factory
Emilio Pons, a pioneer Tampa cigar manufacturer, and an outstanding public servant, established the first cigar factory of local origin on this site in 1887. Here on October 12, 1894, Jose Marti, the Cuban liberator, delivered his last . . . — Map (db m32828) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Historic Harlem Academy School #2
(Front text) The historic Harlem Academy, known as "The Mother of African- American Schools," was the first public school erected for African- American children in Tampa. The first classes were held in 1868 in the Hillsborough County . . . — Map (db m27707) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — History in the AirA Look at the Military Aircraft of MacDill
Since the first wave of B-18 Super Heavy Bombers arrived at MacDill in 1940, the base has seen a remarkable variety of America's finest military aircraft. MacDill's first mission included transitional training on the B-17 Flying Fortress. After . . . — Map (db m34132) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Hugh C. Macfarlane1851-1935 — Founder of West Tampa
    His was a life of achievements – a great lawyer, pioneer land developer, public servant and a Tampa booster. Had the honor of serving as State's Attorney, Tampa City Attorney, Port Commissioner, and Supt. of Public Works. In 1892, . . . — Map (db m49593) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 77000404 — Hutchinson House
This property has been placed on the National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m33848) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-430 — Il Cimitero Dell’Unione Italiana(Italian Club Cemetery)
L’Unione Italiana, founded in 1894 in Ybor City, institutionalized the Italian funeral in Tampa when in 1896 it purchased this property from the prominent African-American Armwood family and dedicated it as a cemetery. The first Italians were buried . . . — Map (db m43618) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — In the Beginning...Uncle Sam Chooses Tampa for Base in 1939
On July 14, 1939, the Tampa Morning Tribune announced the war department's decision to build the "Southeast Air Base" in Tampa. The land selected was a 6000 acre marshy area known as Catfish Point. As part of President Roosevelt's New Deal Program, . . . — Map (db m34118) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
. . . — Map (db m32542) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Jose GasparillaAn 18th Century West Indiaman
  This vessel named for Jose Gaspar a gentleman Lieutenant of the Royal Spanish Navy, who achieved great fame as a pirate headquartered on Florida's Gulf Coast.       As leader of a mutinous uprising, Lt. Gaspar seized command of the Spanish . . . — Map (db m34860) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Jose MartiApostle of Cuban Freedom — Apostol de Cuba
Born in Havana, Cuba, on January 28, 1853. Patriot, writer, poet, lawyer, and orator. A lover of liberty and justice, his ideas and personal example were a universal inspiration for the world as well as for the Cuban people. He perished on . . . — Map (db m32132) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — José Martí
( Spanish ) Desde esta escalinata En el Año 1893 José Martí Apóstol de la Libertad de Cuba Con elocuentes palabras pidió a los tabaqueros Cubanos emigrados que le ayudasen a conquistar la independencia de su país, . . . — Map (db m14431) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Kennedy
Pioneer family listed in Tampa Blue Book settling in 1840. Founded 1st Indian trading post. Trusted friend of Chief Billy Bowlegs. Kennedys claim first recorded deed in county. — Map (db m35785) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — L’Unione ItalianaThe Italian Club
Tampa's first Italian–American society was organized April 4, 1894. During its early years the club assisted members through cultural enrichment, providing education, health care and financial help to the families of deceased . . . — Map (db m8769) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Casa de Pedroso1893
  Paulina Pedroso was one of the great women patriots of Cuba. After an attempt on the life of Jose Marti, the Pedroso House became his refuge.   Whenever Marti stayed here the flag of the budding Republic of Cuba fluttered outside. Evenings, the . . . — Map (db m31931) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — La Casa de Pedroso1893
Paulina Pedroso fue insigne patriota Cubana. Tras el atentado contra Jose Marti, la Casa Pedroso se hizo refugio del Apostol. Siempre que aqui se hospedara Marti desplegabase en la fachada la bandera de la naciente Republica Cubana. De noche . . . — Map (db m31935) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — MacDill: 1950 to 2000The Base Maneuvers Through the Years
3 F-80 Shooting Stars Fly to Korea In February 1951, MacDill's 307th deployed to Okinawa for the Korean conflict. It was one of the first units to move its fighting forces overseas. MacDill During Vietnam During the Vietnam conflict, . . . — Map (db m34149) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Middleton Senior High School
In 1934 Middleton Senior High School, named for George S. Middleton, opened on 24th and Chelsea Streets in East Tampa as the first high school for African Americans in Hillsborough County. Previously, Booker T. Washington School had accommodated . . . — Map (db m33695) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Morgan Cigar FactoryA Symbol of Tampa's Romantic Cigar Industry
In 1907 William T. Morgan erected this three story cigar factory and soon his Juan De Fuca label attained wide acceptance throughout the country. By 1910, the company had to move to larger quarters to accommodate 1,000 workers.      After Morgan . . . — Map (db m47247) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Oaklawn Cemetery
This hallowed ground set aside as a town burial site in 1850 "for whites & slaves alike" is the resting place for many of Tampa's founding fathers, mayors, and county officers. A governor of Florida, two Supreme Court Judges, framers of all . . . — Map (db m27604) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Old Fort Brooke Municipal Parking Structure1982
On this site was located the first cemetery for Fort Brooke, a U.S. military post dating from 1824 to 1882. Seminole Indians, soldiers and civilian settlers buried here were excavated by archaeologists in 1980 prior to construction of the parking . . . — Map (db m44377) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-596 — Old People's Home
Opened in 1924, The Old People's Home was the largest publicly supported home for the elderly in Tampa and represented a major civic achievement. An all-woman Board of Managers founded the Home and the original by-laws stated that men could serve . . . — Map (db m32115) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Old SchoolhousePlaced on the National Register of Historic Places 1975
Built circa 1855 by Gen. Jesse Carter for his daughter Josephine. He employed Mrs. Louisa Porter as teacher. The first class included Josephine Carter, Janie Givens, Mary Lesley, Mary Kelly, Eugenia Spencer, Lizzie Spencer and Hayden Porter. Jessie . . . — Map (db m33902) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial I
(Raised section) A grateful county honors the memory of these brave individuals for their unquestioned valor and sacrifice in defense of freedom and liberty during combat in Operation Iraqi Freedom Dedicated 2003 Hillsborough County Board . . . — Map (db m32949) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial II
(Raised section) A grateful county honors the memory of these brave individuals for their unquestioned valor and sacrifice in defense of freedom and liberty during combat in Operation Iraqi Freedom Dedicated 2003 Hillsborough County Board of . . . — Map (db m32975) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ossuarium Memoriale1949
L'Unione Italiana Left side:Dedicates this War Memorial to honor and perpetuate the memory of those members who gave their life for their country Paul P. Longo President Right side:Dedica questo Memoriale per onorare e perpetuare . . . — Map (db m44048) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Riders
(Front face) 1 [Crossed Sabres Emblem] 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment Rough Riders Park Dedicated March 1, 2003 Ybor City, Tampa, Florida (Top Plaque) "You Triumphed Over Obstacles Which Would . . . — Map (db m32795) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Rough Riders Encampment ~June 1898
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War, this area, a sand flat without a tree, but surrounded by an extensive forest, was the camp site of Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders, the most unusual regiment in the history of the U. S. Army. The Rough . . . — Map (db m47551) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Royal Yacht Britannia
Here docked the Royal Yacht Britannia for the official visit to Harbour Island by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh May 12, 1991 — Map (db m33806) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Sgt. Nick MatassiniMarch 21, 1911 • December 7, 1944 — He gave his all for his country
(Left face:) War Dept. Records: "Sgt. Nick Matassini Co. H. 357 Inf. was instantly killed in action Dec. 7, 1944 while leading his machine gun squad on German positions when his regiment established a bridgehead east bank of . . . — Map (db m44196) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Site of First Ybor City Railroad Station1887
The station of the Plant System was located here in the early days of this budding tobacco center. During the struggle for Cuban Independence Ybor City became a nest of insurgents. Through this station passed conspirators, spies, and many notable . . . — Map (db m43551) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Site of Mirabella Fish Company1898-1985Historic Marker
. . . — Map (db m33884) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — F-387 — Sociedad La Union Marti~Maceo
When local segration forced the withdrawal of Afro-Cubans from El Club Nacional Cubano, an organization of black and white Cubans involved in Cuban independence, Afro-Cuban cigarmakers founded a society in 1900 as Los Libres Pensadores de Marti . . . — Map (db m31708) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church was established in Tampa in 1871. Its first service was held in the hospital building at Fort Brooke. A wooden church was erected in 1883 on the city block bounded by Marion, Twiggs, Morgan, and Madison Streets, which . . . — Map (db m26906) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Bay and MacDillGood Neighbors for Over 60 Years!
1950's SCCOA Races During the 1950s, the Sports Car Club of America held regular car races at MacDill and many other Air Force bases throughout the country. 1990's Air Shows Air shows at MacDill have brought out huge crowds to witness the . . . — Map (db m34154) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Goes to WarU.S. Enters WWII and MacDill Readies the Air Attack
MacDill's First Base Commander • Col. Clarence L. Tinker took command on March 11, 1940 • First Native American to attain the rank of Major General • Killed in action in Pacific Theater during Battle for Midway in 1942 • Tinker AFB . . . — Map (db m34123) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa Salutes MacDill AFBA Look at Over 60 Years of Growth and Change
On January 14, 1941, Col. Clarence Tinker landed a twin-engined B-18 Bomber on the first MacDill Field runway and a new era for Tampa was born. Soon after, the U.S. would enter World War II and MacDill's pilot training would prove to be an important . . . — Map (db m34109) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — 78000945 — Tampa Theatre
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department Of The Interior — Map (db m15882) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Tampa's First Paved Sidewalk1888
Archibald Ross. A native of Scotland. A member of the City Council. "Tampa's popular baker and the poor man's friend." Paved the walk around his brick building on the southeast corner of Franklin and La Fayette Streets with Georgia marble. "The . . . — Map (db m15972) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Technology • Power • DiversityMacDill's Mission and Its Aircraft Move Forward
Although the F-4 Phantom was used as a fighter jet in Vietnam, it was originally designed as an interceptor for defense of the fleet against air attack. The need for a jet designed as a fighter led to the introduction of the F-16. Between 1979 and . . . — Map (db m34140) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Teco Energy's Tampa Electric CompanyOrganized October 1899
In 1899, Colonel Peter O. Knight created Tampa Electric Company to serve the energy needs of a growing Tampa community. Some 28 employees served 1200 customers with electricity from the region's first power plant, one powered by the water of the . . . — Map (db m15750) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Andres Diaz Building
In 1908 John Drew built this cigar factory for Andres Diaz and company of New York. One of the most modern of its day, it produced fine Havana cigars under the labels Terreno, Flor de A. Diaz and La Flor de Scott. West Tampa was . . . — Map (db m47001) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Bayshore Boulevard
In 1907, Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger constructed the original section of seawall and roadway extending from Swann Avenue to Rome Avenue. This initial section, which was called Bayshore Drive, served Suburb Beautiful, the first residential . . . — Map (db m44647) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa
A cigar factory built on this site in June 1892 by Hugh C. Macfarlane brought the first industry to the community of West Tampa. First operated by A. Del Pino and Company, it failed financially. In 1894 the O'Halloran Cigar Company occupied the . . . — Map (db m46945) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Buffalo Soldiers in Tampa Heights1898
  African-Americans have served valiantly in all of America's wars. Although black soldiers fought and died in previous conflicts, they were not permitted to enlist as army regulars until after the Civil War. Organized into separate infantry and . . . — Map (db m32837) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Cherokee Club"El Pasaje" — 1888
The second brick building erected in Ybor City. The Cherokee Club was a popular rendezvous for the elite in the 1890's. Later became known as El Pasaje Restaurant. Its fame spread throughout the Americas. Jose Marti slept here on his first . . . — Map (db m15274) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Rough Riders Passed By Here
On June 3, 1898, when Tampa was a cluster of old weather beaten houses floating on an ocean of sand, Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders disembarked from their seven train convoy in Ybor City, five miles from Tampa City Hall. They . . . — Map (db m15569) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Spanish Fort
In 1891 upon the completion of the Tampa Bay Hotel, Henry B. Plant recovered two Civil War cannon from across the Hillsborough River at the site of Old Fort Brooke. With his landscape architect Anton Fiehe, Mr. Plant placed the cannon over a . . . — Map (db m34084) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The War YearsWWII Makes the Army Air Forces and MacDill Grow Up Fast
As MacDill Field's first runways were being completed in 1941, only 8,500 men were enlisted in the Army Air Corps. But by the end of World War II in 1945, over 2.5 million Americans had joined the newly renamed Army Air Forces. The demands of war . . . — Map (db m34125) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Timuquan Indian Mound
Near this site on the shore of the bay, once stood a large Timuquan Temple Mound dating before the time of Christ. It was 50 feet in height with a large level space on top where elaborately decorated temples and residences of Indian chiefs and . . . — Map (db m33865) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Today at MacDill AFBThe Partnership Continues into the 21st Century...
As the base and the City of Tampa progress through the 21st century, they face new challenges in the ever-changing global landscape. Today, over 50 different groups operate from the base and over 13,000 military and civilian personnel are assigned . . . — Map (db m34153) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Union Raiders Burn Tampa Blockade Runners
On October 18, 1863, a union task force of 85 soldiers found the “Scottish Chief” and “Kate Dale”, celebrated blockade runners, hidden in a remote anchorage in the Hillsborough River, near this site and set the ships afire. . . . — Map (db m33675) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Vicente Martinez-YborPioneer of the Cigar Industry in Florida and Founder of Ybor City
Born in Valencia, Spain on September 7, 1818 and died in Ybor City on December 14, 1896 and buried at Oaklawn Cemetery in downtown Tampa. In 1853 at an early age the adventurous Spaniard left his native land and traveled to Cuba which was under . . . — Map (db m31706) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — War Memorial
(Front face, left side) Dedicated to the memory of those Americans who valiantly fought and died in the service of their country during the great World War April 6, 1917 - November 11, 1918 —•— It is hoped that the . . . — Map (db m30652) WM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — West Tampa Centennial1895 ~ 1995
Hugh C. MacFarlane, an immigrant from Scotland, purchased land in November 1886 and built a cigar factory that started production on June 15, 1892. MacFarlane and other developers offered free land and buildings, bringing in more cigar factories and . . . — Map (db m47520) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — William F. Poe Plaza
William F. Poe Plaza is named in honor of William F. Poe, Sr. in recognition of the many significant improvements he initiated in downtown Tampa during his five years of service as Mayor of Tampa from October 1974 to October 1979. For many years, . . . — Map (db m34188) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ybor Centennial Park
On June 12, 1986, the Tampa City Council passed Ordinance No. 9297-a naming this park: “Ybor Centennial Park By Which Name It Shall Hereafter And Forever Be Known.” Signed: Bob Martinez, Mayor; Sandra W. Freedman. . . . — Map (db m8750) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Ybor City's First Fire Station1888
The Mirta Hook and Ladder Volunteer Fire Station was established on this site. The station was named in honor of the youngest daughter of Don Vicente Martinez Ybor, founder of Ybor City. Capt. Frank Puglisi headed the fire fighters. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m31887) HM
Florida (Lake County), Astor — F-93 — Fort Butler
Located on the west bank of the St. Johns, Ft. Butler was built in 1838 during the Seminole Wars. It consisted of a crude log stockade and barracks for the garrison. The Fort was one of the military installations designed to protect the St. Johns . . . — Map (db m31341) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — F-318 — Clearwater Post Office
On October 9, 1933 Clearwater's first government post office building was dedicated on this site with Postmaster General James A. Farley officiating. The local postmaster at the time was Charles R. Lee. This Mediterranean-Revival style building . . . — Map (db m44616) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission
   Menendez, Spanish Governor of Florida, after building fort at St. Augustine (1565) came to this site in 1567 and persuaded the Indian Chief Tocobago and his 1500 braves who lived here, to accept Christianity. Menendez erected a blockhouse for a . . . — Map (db m46671) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — F-381 — Espiritu Santo SpringsWhere Healing Waters Flow
On May 18, 1539, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the shores of what is now Tampa Bay, landing near these mineral springs used by the native population for nearly 10,000 years. Believing he had found the legendary Fountain of Youth somehow . . . — Map (db m44463) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Safety Harbor — Philippe Park
On this promontory Count Odet Philippe, a native of Lyon, France, and surgeon in the French Armed Forces under Napoleon Bonaparte settled in 1842, arriving at this point in his sailing vessel "The Ney." In this area he established St. Helena, his . . . — Map (db m13639) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Pete Beach — F-449 — Zephaniah Phillips' Homestead SiteRancho de Juaquin
In 1783, while updating Gulf Coast navigational charts, Jose Antonio de Evia (b. 1740), a Spanish naval officer, visited a Spanish fishing camp located on this site. He called it “Rancho de Juaquin.” Artifacts from the 18th and early . . . — Map (db m49507) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), St. Petersburg — World RecordFor 10 Miles — 45 Minutes 37 Seconds
. . . — Map (db m49432) HM
Florida (Polk County), Mulberry — Historical Citrus Planting
Historical Citrus Planting March 14, 1959. Site of first experimental planting of citrus on reclaimed phosphate mining land. The project was originated and executed by William James Menear, land manager, Virginia-Carolina Chemical Corporation. — Map (db m4980) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Lake Monroe Bridge
Front The Lake Monroe Bridge was the first electrically operated swing bridge in Florida. In 1932-33 the State used federal assistance to build this bridge, which replaced a wooden toll bridge that was manually operated. The construction of . . . — Map (db m45490) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Confederate Memorial1861        1961
Given in loving memory of our Confederate dead by the Southern citizens of Daytona Beach Sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Chapter 1955 Map (db m46876) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Confederate Veterans
In honor of each Confederate Veteran, known and unknown, buried in East Volusia County Jasper J. Allman • Jesse Bennett • Simmons Bennett • Z. H. Bennett • Jackson D. Brooke • Rufus D. Brooke • Wm. W. Carter • Francis Marion Clifton • Edward . . . — Map (db m46909) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — First Church of Christ, Scientist
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m35997) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Ivey's Building
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m44240) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jessup's Building
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m44188) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 86000025 — Merchants Bank BuildingHalifax Historical Museum
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m34919) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
To the memory of the known Revolutionary Soldiers who removed to Florida Evan Andress • John Bessent • John Brown • Henry Edwards • John Fletcher • William Gay • Zachariah Gherkins • Morton Gray • James Hall • Joab Horne • Amos Latham • John Liles . . . — Map (db m46877) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 83001442 — S. H. Kress and Co. Building
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m34573) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — F-289 — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Front The Florida frontier remained relatively empty until after the Civil War. During the late 1860's, both northerners and native southerners perceived great potential in Florida. Among the places they settled was Tomoka, which became . . . — Map (db m34697) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — The Old Kings Road
Crossed north to south near this site. This road was constructed from 1763-1773 by the English, connecting St. Augustine north to St. Mary's River and south to New Smyrna, Florida. First originated as an Indian trail, and later improved by the . . . — Map (db m45478) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 88000974 — United States Post Office
This Property Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m35885) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Valor
In memory of the sons and daughters of this community who served in the wars of their country ⋆   ⋆   ⋆ In grateful appreciation City of Daytona Beach Florida 1963 They have not sacrificed in vain as long as you remember . . . — Map (db m46842) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — World War I Memorial1914        1918
To the honor and glory of the East Volusia County boys who gave their services and of those who gave their lives in the World War ⋆ Allston Dryer ⋆ Arthur Helm ⋆ Charles F. Hickman ⋆ James R. McConnell . . . — Map (db m46852) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeBary — F-155 — DeBary Hall / Florida Federation of Art, Inc.
(Front side) DeBary HallBuilt in 1871 by Baron Frederick de Bary. Born 1815 in Germany of Belgian descent, de Bary came to New York in 1840 as agent for Mumm's Champagne. His estate of many hundred acres here in Florida was a hunting and . . . — Map (db m46164) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Bell #8"The Eloise Chimes" — 1915
This bell was part of a set of 11 chimes originally designed for a Methodist Church in Pennsylvania. Lincoln Hulley, Stetson University's second president, acquired the bells in 1915 and they were mounted in the cupola of Elizabeth Hall. When the . . . — Map (db m46817) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Circa 1883
This site has a long history with the "written word." On April 7, 1883, the first issue of the Orange Ridge Echo was printed here in a wood-frame building. This paper later became the Chronicle, which eventually became the Volusia . . . — Map (db m46137) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Circa 1885
In 1883 two young boys, Samuel Jordan and Wylie Swift, built a circular skating rink in a tent on this corner. It was a popular entertainment site when DeLand was little more than a pioneer village. Around 1885 this brick building was erected to . . . — Map (db m46204) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — DeLand HallBuilt 1884
The oldest building in Florida in continuous use for higher education and the first building on the Stetson University campus. Originally housed the library, chapel, classrooms, gymnasium and offices. Later used as women's residence, kindergarten, . . . — Map (db m45502) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Dreka Building1882
On this site in 1882 George A. Dreka built his 2-story department store that later was expanded to four floors to also hold the Carrolton Hotel. In the 1886 fire that consumed much of the town, blankets were hung from the balconies and kept wet by a . . . — Map (db m46128) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Early Grocery Storescirca 1897
Although there has been a structure on this site since at least 1885, this building was erected about 1897. From the late 19th to the middle 20th century, most of DeLand's grocery stores were located along Woodland Blvd. Bushnell, Cantrell, Conrad, . . . — Map (db m45708) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First Commercial Store1877
Capt. James B. Jordan came to DeLand in 1876. While serving in a North Carolina regiment during the civil war, Capt. Jordan was wounded and taken prisoner in July 1863 at the Battle of Gettysburg. Following the war, he came to Florida and opened . . . — Map (db m46028) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First Movie Housecirca 1907
Around 1907 V. Ward Gould and Arthur Voyle opened DeLand's first silent movie business here. With straight backed chairs for the audience and sheeting for a screen, they rigged up a projection booth and hired a pianist to furnish the music. The film . . . — Map (db m45540) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First United Methodist Church1883
The First United Methodist Church was established August 1, 1880. It was the first church organized in the new settlement of DeLand. Three years later, this building was completed for worship services. It was a simple frame structure with a bell in . . . — Map (db m45667) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Landis-Fish Building1905
In 1905 the Landis & Fish Law Firm erected a brick one-story Romanesque-style building on this site. As the firm grew, it was enlarged in 1925 to the two-story Federal structure you see today. Begun by Cary D. Landis and Bert Fish, the firm was . . . — Map (db m46032) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Miller-Fish Buildingcirca 1887
In this block, early settler Charles A Miller owned a hay & grain store, livery stable, and buggy & carriage shop. All fell to the flames of the 1886 fire. Miller was among the first to rebuild, erecting the two-story brick building you see today. . . . — Map (db m46050) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — St. John's Masonic Lodge1925
This building was the St. John's Masonic Lodge #7. The cornerstone, containing the membership rolls of the Masonic bodies in DeLand, was laid Sept. 14, 1925. Designed by local architects, Carpenter & Bent, the lower floor originally accommodated a . . . — Map (db m45669) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Athens Theatre1922
This historically significant landmark opened in 1922 as a silent film/vaudeville theatre. Once the entertainment centerpiece of the county, the Athens operated continuously for nearly seventy years, changing its programming over time as technology . . . — Map (db m46141) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The First Post Office1877
According to early sources, the first post office in DeLand was in the rear of the Jordan & Lancaster store on West Indiana Avenue somewhere "between Woodland Boulevard and Florida Avenue." Dr. G. W. Lancaster, DeLand's first druggist, was also the . . . — Map (db m45603) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Haven BlockCirca 1887
The three buildings called "The Haven Block" extend from 112 to 116 N. Woodland Blvd. These three Romanesque-style buildings have been home to countless businesses for over a century. In their early history was Haven's Hall on the second . . . — Map (db m45638) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Opera House1910
This corner was the site of DeLand's first newspaper, The Volusia County Herald, first published on May 10, 1877 by Henry DeLand. It was succeeded in 1878 by The Agriculturalist, edited by Col. C. C. Codrington, Gov. General of the . . . — Map (db m45727) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Woman's Club of DeLandEstablished 1906
The Woman's Club of DeLand was organized in March 1906, and was incorporated on July 26 of that year with ninety-two charter members. Nearly from its inception club members wanted to have their own clubhouse. The organization purchased a lot on West . . . — Map (db m45507) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Volusia County Historic CourthouseBuilt 1929
This landmark was built on property donated by the city's founder - Henry DeLand. It replaced the first Volusia County Courthouse, which was completed in 1894 and occupied until it was torn down in the 1920's to make way for its successor. In 1995, . . . — Map (db m46191) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Holly Hill — Merci Box CarLa Societe des Quarante Hommes et Huit Chevaux — Dedicated December 7, 1986
Merci Box Car — Arrived in America in 1949 — A token of appreciation from the people of France to the people of America — Built between 1872 and 1885 — They were called 40 and 8's, carried either 40 men or 8 horses during . . . — Map (db m34796) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — F-41 — Hotel Ormond
Hotel Ormond, named for Volusia County pioneer James Ormond, was built in 1887 by John Anderson and Joseph Price. The large frame building was bought and enlarged by Henry M. Flagler in the 1890's. Operated by Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway, . . . — Map (db m34552) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ponce Inlet — 11 — Bronze Bell"1000 Pounder"
This bell, salvaged from a sunken sea buoy at the Charleston Harbor entrance channel, was minted in 1911 for the U.S. Lighthouse Service (USLHS). The 1000 Pounders were used as fog signals on harbor entrance buoys, on lightships, and at some . . . — Map (db m35061) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ponce Inlet — Jesse LinzyAfrican American Heritage at Ponce Inlet
Born in Savannah on August 7, 1872, Jesse Linzy came to Mosquito (now Ponce) Inlet possibly in the late 1890s. A skilled concrete worker, he built the sidewalk from the tower down to the river, replacing an old wooden boardwalk. The sidewalk still . . . — Map (db m35027) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ponce Inlet — Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse
(NHL Plaque) Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1998 National Park Service United . . . — Map (db m34434) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — F-34 — Battle of Dunlawton Plantation
During the 2nd Seminole War, 1836, the Mosquito Roarers, a company of Florida militia under Major Benjamin Putnam, engaged a large band of Seminoles pillaging Dunlawton, a sugar plantation on the Halifax River. Heavy fighting ensued, but the . . . — Map (db m34346) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Bongoland
Several attempts were made to operate Dunlawton Plantation as a tourist attraction in the the 1950's Dr. Perry Sperber leased the premises from J. Saxon Lloyd for a park to display prehistoric monsters and had a number of replicas, molded in . . . — Map (db m34878) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Confederate OakPlease ! Do Not Climb On Tree
This great tree is called the Confederate Oak because according to legend, Confederate Soldiers frequently camped under it. — Map (db m34659) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Destruction of Dunlawton Plantation
In January 1836, during the second Indian War, the Indians burned Dunlawton Plantation. Only the brick walls, the chimneys and the heavy iron machinery were left. The Plantation was not rebuilt until the 1840's. The war cost the United States 19 . . . — Map (db m46553) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Dunlawton's Building Blockscoquina up close
The ruins here include chimneys and other structures made of coquina, Spanish for "tiny shell." Quarried locally (and elsewhere in the Southeast), this native stone contains mollusk shell fragments and quartz sand, bound together by . . . — Map (db m46539) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Florida Hammock Trail
This trail leads through hammock land. The word hammock was an Indian term. This is the way the land looked when it was the free domain of the Indians, the home of wildlife and birds. The land had to be cleared to plant crops, build shelters and . . . — Map (db m46554) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — From the Boardwalk
Welcome to Dunlawton's boardwalk - a modern structure offering views of the former sugar factory while reducing foot traffic inside. (More on the nineteenth-century floorplan can be found in an interpretive panel near the ruins' south side.) Today's . . . — Map (db m46543) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Historic Sugar Cane Machinery
Animal powered rollers, used to crush sugar cane, came from the Samuel Williams Plantation. This Plantation was destroyed by the Indians and never rebuilt. — Map (db m46552) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Living on the Edge
One reality of this sugar plantation was its isolation. When owner John Marshall asked for help against the Seminoles, an army commander in St. Augustine offered muskets and a lecture: "I need scarcely add," he warned, "that the best reliance of the . . . — Map (db m46550) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Spanish Mills and Bongoland
After the 1850s, Dunlawton's days as a serious sugar venture were through. John Marshall moved away, tried to rid himself of the Florida plantation, and finally snared a buyer in 1871. His successors included Charles Dougherty (a noted . . . — Map (db m46551) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Sugar Making
In the early nineteenth century, many of this region's large agricultural ventures focused on sugar - coarse, brown, and valuable. To get the most from their sugar cane, some planters had their own crushing and cooking operations. At plantations . . . — Map (db m46541) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Telling Dunlawton's Stories
How do we know what we know about Dunlawton? The information sources range from period documents to objects in the ground. Questions remain, but researchers have made a start at uncovering the plantation's key stories. Among the written sources, . . . — Map (db m46549) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — F-467 — The “Freemanville” Settlement
Founded soon after the U.S. Civil War, the settlement that would become “Freemanville” was established by Dr. John Milton Hawks, an abolitionist and Union Army surgeon, along with other Union Army officers and the Florida Land & Lumber . . . — Map (db m45453) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — The Dunlawton Sugar FactoryGreat Expectations:
These are the ruins of people's dreams, left by successive landowners, free workers, and slaves. Hoping to make sugar in the nineteenth century, they faced isolation, hurricanes, and dispossessed Seminoles. Some lost money in their ventures, and . . . — Map (db m46537) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — The Most Dangerous Chieftain
When Sarah Anderson and her sons owned Dunlawton, Mosquito County settlers formed a militia unit called the Mosquito Roarers. Even with its fine name, this group reportedly lacked anyone who had ever "seen a gun fired in anger." By the mid-1830's, . . . — Map (db m46547) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — The Roof
Dunlawton's new metal roof is meant to protect stonework and machinery. But it also makes an important point. Though not an exact replica of the wooden roof that protected it, this shelter reminds us that a large, enclosed factory once stood here. . . . — Map (db m46544) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Port Orange — Working
The Dunlawton Plantation was no leisure spot. As a frontier agricultural and processing site, it demanded hard, physical, un-glamorous work. Without the labor of African-American slaves and hired free workers, this nineteenth-century venture would . . . — Map (db m46545) HM
Florida (Volusia County), South Daytona — Giant Ground Sloth
On this site in 1975 was found the best preserved and most complete giant ground sloth ever found in North America. The sloth weighed three to five tons, stood thirteen feet tall and was a vegetarian. An estimated fifty species of animals were . . . — Map (db m45449) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Volusia — Volusia
Volusia, on the east bank of the river St. Johns, is the birthplace of Volusia County and the oldest settlement. The United States Courts confirmed Horatio Dexter's 1815 Spanish title and Joseph Rattenbury's 1817 title to the 17,000-acre Volusia . . . — Map (db m31351) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Volusia — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
Wm. Bartram, Famed Naturalist, classified flora and fauna for shipment, here, at Spalding's Upper Store, May and June 1774. — Map (db m31450) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — Crawfordville Confederate Memorial
1861-1865 Erected to the memory of our Confederate Dead Apr. 26, 1898 — Map (db m15284) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — 131-7 — Old Tavern Site
On this site, Lot 17, provided for, in 1826, in the Town Plan by Hermon Mercer, who laid out the town of Crawfordville, a tavern, inn or hotel has stood continuously. The original tavern, built by Gilbert Rossignol, a refugee from the French . . . — Map (db m21444) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — 131-1 — Taliaferro County
This County, created by an act of the Legislature Dec. 24, 1825, is named for Colonel Benjamin Taliaferro, Revolutionary soldier in Lee's Legion and a member of Congress from 1799 to 1802. In this city stands Liberty Hall, now a State Shrine, . . . — Map (db m15236) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — Taliaferro County World War I Memorial
1917-1918 Dedicated to those of Taliaferro County, GA. who offered their lives in Humanity's defense in the War of the Nations and in memory of those who gave their full measure of devotion — Map (db m15282) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — Taliaferro County World Wars Memorial
In sacred memory of the men of Taliaferro County who made the supreme sacrifice World War I Roy Dozier World War II L.A. Cason Henry C. Simons Roger W. Gunn Charles Roberts On fames eternal camping ground, their silent . . . — Map (db m32340) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — 131-9 — The Common Road of the English Following Old Indian Trail
The colonial road from Charleston to Vicksburg followed the highway at this point. The route, used by Col. Langdon Welch on his expedition to the Mississippi in 1698, was thereafter followed by British traders. Through Taliaferro Co., it followed . . . — Map (db m15242) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-5 — Campbell Home
This was once the home of two distinguished Georgians -- father and son. Duncan G. Campbell was noted for drafting the treaty that removed the Cherokee Indians from Georgia and also for introducing in the Georgia Legislature the first bill . . . — Map (db m25618) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Dyson House1820
. . . — Map (db m32710) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-2 — Historic Dugas Home
This home was built by Mr. and Mrs. Louis Dugas, French refugees from Santo Domingo, in the early 1790s. Here, until 1810, Mrs. Dugas conducted the Boarding School for Select Young Ladies which was attended by the daughters of many of Georgia’s . . . — Map (db m31779) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-30 — Home of Robert Toombs
This was the home of Robert Toombs -- planter, lawyer, and distinguished Southern statesman. Born July 2, 1810, Robert Toombs was educated at Franklin College, Georgia, at Union College, New York, and at the University of Virginia. He was a member . . . — Map (db m25582) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Lowe Building
Site of W.T. Fluker Gun Smith (1867-1877) and Fluker & Brother Cotton Gin Manufactory (1875-1895). Also the location of W.T. Johnson's first store. A hardware store has been located here since 1884 — Map (db m44334) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-1 — Mary Willis Library
This library was Georgia’s first free (without a subscription fee) public library. Founded in 1888 by Dr. Francis T. Willis in memory of his daughter, it opened in 1889. Willis also created an endowment for the library and donated his personal . . . — Map (db m23000) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Norris House
1814 One story structure built by John C. Leitner 1835 Archibald S. Wingfield Added second floor wealthy merchant & planter 1863 David G. Cotting Ga. Secretary of State during Reconstruction period 1949 Maj. General Lloyd D. Brown Federal style with . . . — Map (db m44243) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Queen Anne Style
1903 Queen Anne Style Built by Dr. Willie Hill. Center chimney serves five fireplaces. Heart of Pine floors, 12’ ceilings, 45 windows, 12” thick inside walls. W-WHF [ Second marker ] 1903 Cupola Twin . . . — Map (db m32959) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-19 — Smyrna Church
Smyrna Church was organized about 1786, by the Rev. John Newton and the Rev. John Simpson, Presbyterian ministers under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Presbytery. Services were at first held in the homes of the members. The first Smyrna . . . — Map (db m30309) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-7 — Smyrna Churchyard
This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Earl of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served as a Superior . . . — Map (db m32176) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Smyrna Methodist Church
[Front] Organized in 1785 or 86 by two Presbyterian ministers, Rev. John Newton & Rev. John Simpson. First house of worship erected in 1793 on land given by Sir John Talbot. In 1820 Presbyterian membership transferred to Washington and . . . — Map (db m30339) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Tarver-Maynard House
. . . — Map (db m33118) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — The Episcopal Church of the Mediator
Organized c. 1868 by The Reverend Joshua Knowles Present building erected 1896 — Map (db m32736) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Toombs-Anderson House1820
Early Classical Revival style built by Sarah Hillhouse Home of Gen. Robert Toombs' brother, Gabriel Toombs, from 1839-69 — Map (db m31750) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-21 — Washington Presbyterian Church
The Presbyterian Church at Washington was organized in 1790, under the Presbytery of South Carolina, with the Rev. John Springer as first pastor. Services were held in private homes, in the Court House, the Academy, and in the Methodist Church, . . . — Map (db m25936) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Washington-Wilkes Firsts
1775 First stone marker indicating George III land grant Fort Washington Park 1777 First county named in Georgia’s first constitution 1779 First African-American Revolutionary hero in the South. Austin Dabney – Battle of Kettle . . . — Map (db m28693) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-31 — Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum
This museum shows the splendors of plantation life in Georgia before the War Between the States, displays relics, mementos and keepsakes of the era that tried men’s souls, and adds a fine collection of Indian relics for variety. Washington had . . . — Map (db m26511) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Wilkes County Confederate MemorialCSA — 1861-1865
Erected Anno Domini 1908 By the "Last Cabinet" Chapter United Daughters of The Confederacy, Ladies Memorial Association, and Sons of Veterans. — A tribute of abiding love for our Confederate Heroes. (Left . . . — Map (db m30352) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Wisteria Hall1795
Faced N to Old Augusta Road 1800s Maria Randolph added Portico Facing S Guests Woodrow Wilson Logan Bleckley — Map (db m32713) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 4-10-03 — Wynne-Randall1897
Plantation house built in a cotton field by Judge William Wynne, two-term state legislator, & his wife Susan Kelley Wynne. Still owned by descendants. — Map (db m31747) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Glen Echo — A Trolley Returns to Glen Echo
Development of Trolleys. Electric trolleys were introduced to the United States in 1888 in Richmond, Virginia, and quickly became the predominant mode of public transportation used throughout the first third of the 20th century. These vehicles . . . — Map (db m306) HM
Virginia, Roanoke — K-116 — A Colonial Ford
The Great Wagon Road from Philadelphia to the backcountry of the Carolinas crossed the Roanoke River here at Tosh's Ford, named for Thomas Tosh, in the eighteenth century. Nearby stood Daniel Evans's mill, another landmark on the road. A group of . . . — Map (db m14799) HM
Virginia, Roanoke — The Roanoke Star
World's largest man-made star. Erected in 1949 as a symbol of the progressive spirit of Roanoke, Star City of the South. Height of steel structure - 100 ft. Height of star - 88 1/2 ft. Weight of star - 10,000 lbs. Weight of steel . . . — Map (db m30336) HM

333 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 133
Paid Advertisement