Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

509 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 309
 
Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History Marker (side B) image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History Marker (side B)
Michigan (Alpena County), Alpena — L746 — Alpena County Courthouse
"Alpena has blazed a new trail in construction," architect William H. Kuni of Detroit declared at the opening of the Alpena County Courthouse on October 21, 1935. Calling it "the first monolithic building erected in a cold climate," Kuni designed . . . — Map (db m66795) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L1413 — "Ten Hours or No Sawdust"
Side 1 When Bay City's sawmills opened in 1885, mill owners notified workers that wages would be 12 to 25 percent lower than in 1884. On July 6, 1885, Bay City millhands began to walk off the job. Their slogan, "Ten Hours or No Sawdust," . . . — Map (db m33693) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2122 — Center Avenue
Center Avenue presents one of the most spectacular displays of late nineteenth and early twentieth century residential architecture in Michigan. Between 1870 and 1940 Bay City's prominent citizens favored Center Avenue as "the" place to live. Early . . . — Map (db m33961) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — Charles B. & Georgiana (McGraw) Curtiss Housec. 1892
Charles came to Bay City in 1864 from Ithaca, NY, to work for sawmill owners Henry Sage and John McGraw, eventually buying the Bay City Dredging Co. His home's architecture is Shavian Manorial, a Queen Anne/Tudor Revival style named after the . . . — Map (db m33909) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L2084 — First Presbyterian Church
Side 1 In 1848, James G. Birney and his wife led Bay City's earliest Presbyterian services in a schoolhouse. Birney, an elder in the church, twice ran unsuccessfully for president on the antislavery ticket. The Reverend Lucius Root organized . . . — Map (db m33696) HM
Michigan (Bay County), Bay City — L0858 — Trinity Church/Trinity Episcopal Church
(front side): Trinity Church Trinity Church grew from a small group of settlers served by Episcopal missionaries beginning around 1842. Church records credit William and Ann Fitzhugh with founding the church. On March 4, 1854, . . . — Map (db m33912) HM
Michigan (Calhoun County), Homer — L439 — Homer Fire Station
This brick structure with arched windows and a decorative cornice was built in 1876, five years after Homer incorporated as a village. A fire station, jail, and city offices initially occupied the building which is located in the center of the . . . — Map (db m78879) HM
Michigan (Cass County), Cassopolis — L487 — Cass County Courthouse
Completed in 1899, this wooden frame building with limestone veneer is the third courthouse to serve Cass County. The Territorial Government of Michigan established the county in 1829 and named it after then Governor Lewis Cass. Two years later . . . — Map (db m64729) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Indian River — 127 — Inland Waterway
The glaciers of the last Ice Age retreated to the north some 25,000 years ago, leaving behind the lakes that rank as Michigan's most notable geographical feature. Among the state's largest inland lakes is Burt Lake, named after William A. Burt, who, . . . — Map (db m33247) HM
Michigan (Clinton County), St. Johns — L765 — Paine-Gillam-Scott House
Lured by the railroad, John W. Paine (1821-1870) moved from the nearby Rochester Colony to St. Johns. In 1860 he built the town's first brick store and this house. The office was later added to this site. Dr. Samuel Gillam (1845-1908) remodeled the . . . — Map (db m68222) HM
Michigan (Crawford County), Grayling — S0709 — The Return of Kirtland's Warbler
The Kirtland's Warbler was first identified in 1851 from a specimen collected on Dr. Jared Kirtland's Ohio farm. The birds originally depended on fire-created young jack pine forests for summer nesting. Such forests in northern Michigan became their . . . — Map (db m33239) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2180 — E. S. Swayze Drugstore
E. S. Swayze opened a drugstore on this site prior to 1870. When the store burned in 1874, Swayze built this one. Members of the Free Methodist Church used the second-floor meeting hall for services from 1887 to 1890. In 1903 Masonic Lodge #401 and . . . — Map (db m33728) HM
Michigan (Genesee County), Otisville — L2191 — Laing-Mason House
This house was built in stages between the 1860s and the 1930s. In 1889 Dr. John B. Laing and his wife, Harriet, purchased the house. Raised in Vermont, Laing (1846-1908) came to Otisville in 1871 as one of the village's earliest physicians, and . . . — Map (db m33731) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1275 — College Baptist Church
This church was incorporated as the First Free Will Baptist Church on November 24, 1855. The congregation met at the Hillsdale College Chapel until the present church was constructed in 1867-68. This Romanesque building was designed by a Chicago . . . — Map (db m32250) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — S0294 — Hillsdale
The plat for the village of Hillsdale was filed in July, 1839, though the first settlement probably occurred a few years previously. Before that time this area had been inhabited mainly by a band of Potawatomi Indians led by their chief, Baw Beese. . . . — Map (db m33598) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — 230 — Hillsdale College
In 1844 a group of Freewill Baptists organized Michigan Central College at Spring Arbor. This college was the first in Michigan to grant degrees to women. Moved to Hillsdale in 1853 and chartered by the legislature in 1855, the school was renamed . . . — Map (db m34216) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1985 — Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
In 1839 Episcopalians held the first church service in Hillsdale. Saint Peter's Church was organized in 1844. The original Gothic Revival church dates from 1859 and forms the sanctuary of the present church. Saint Peter's housed the first pipe organ . . . — Map (db m33602) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — L1645 — St. Anthony's Catholic Church
The origins of Catholicism in Hillsdale County date to the 1840s when Irishmen who worked for the Southern Railroad settled here. In 1853 the Reverend Joseph Kindekens of Adrian and eighty-five people organized St. Anthony's parish. The former . . . — Map (db m33601) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — Sultana
Dedicated to the memory of the 280 Michigan Civil War soldiers who lost their lives in America's worst maritime disaster, the sinking of the steamship "Sultana." These men were among more than 2,200 Union soldiers returning home from Confederate . . . — Map (db m33960) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Hillsdale — The Will Carleton Poor House
This stone building is a part of the poorhouse that inspired Will Carleton's well-known poem "Over the Hill to the Poorhouse." — Map (db m32361) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — Father Gabriel Richard
Priest Educator-Statesman Secured funds in 1825 through the United States Congress for the survey of the Great Sauk Trail now U.S. Highway 112 thus opening this artery of civilization into the west — Map (db m32219) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 84 — Grace Episcopal Church
William N. Lyster, Irish-born missionary, preached in Jonesville in 1836, and Darius Barker organized the parish in 1838. A church featuring Classical and Gothic styling was begun in 1844 and consecrated by Bishop Samuel McCoskry in 1848. Panelling . . . — Map (db m32190) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Jonesville — 500 — Grosvenor House
Side 1 Completed in 1874, this structure of High Victorian Italianate design is one of the most magnificent residences in Michigan. The interior, an excellent example of a living museum of the 1870s, contains thirty-two rooms with . . . — Map (db m33656) HM
Michigan (Hillsdale County), Somerset Center — S0624 — W. H. L. McCourtie / W. H. L. McCourtie Estate
W. H. L. McCourtie Somerset Center native W. H. L. McCourtie (1872-1933) was introduced to the cement industry by W. F. Cowham of Jackson in 1897. McCourtie soon went to Dallas, Texas, where he made a fortune speculating in oil and established . . . — Map (db m33416) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Meridian Township — L2133 — Chief Okemos / Okemos Village marker
Chief Okemos Okemos was born in Shiawassee County around 1775. He distinguished himself at the Battle of Sandusky during the War of 1812 and won the respect of the Saginaw Chippewa people. Chief Okemos later signed several treaties on behalf . . . — Map (db m84683) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — L2260 — Downtown Historic District
(Side 1) Williamston grew where two Native American trails crossed. In 1834, settlers Hiram and Joseph Putnam built the north-south road that became Putnam Street. Construction of the Grand River Turnpike from Detroit to Grand Rapids in . . . — Map (db m84507) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston — L1918 — Saint Mary Parish
(Side 1) Beginning in the 1850s, Williamston Catholics worshipped with visiting priests. They often traveled ten miles by carriage or horseback on rutted, muddy roads to Saint Patrick Church in Woodhull (present-day Shaftsburg) to worship . . . — Map (db m84588) HM
Michigan (Ingham County), Williamston Township — 31 — Grand River Trail
The old Grand River Indian Trail, now US-16, became a plank road in 1848. A toll gate and Red Bridge Post Office were located here. Nearby were homes of John Mullett, pioneer surveyor, and John Forester, explorer, north Michigan mine pioneer. . . . — Map (db m84681) HM
Michigan (Isabella County), Mount Pleasant — 133 — Central Michigan University
Privately organized by citizens of Mt. Pleasant in 1892, Central became Michigan's second state-supported normal school in 1895. This met a long-felt need for a state school in this region. At first the college was designed to prepare rural and . . . — Map (db m45876) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L853 — Brooklyn Presbyterian Church
Thirteen lay members founded the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn in 1838. The Reverend C.W. Gurney became the church's first installed pastor in 1841. Dedicatory services for the church were held on October 7, 1845. Built with hand-hewn beams . . . — Map (db m84885) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Brooklyn — L29 — Brooklyn's Founder
This village was founded by the Rev. Calvin Swain, who filed the first land claim on June 16, 1832. Elder Swain, who had been a chaplain in the War of 1812, was a Baptist minister and the postmaster in Adamsville, New York, before coming to Michigan . . . — Map (db m84886) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L2068 — Concord Universalists / First Universalist Church
Concord Universalists (Side 1) After migrating from the East, primarily New York State, thirteen families brought their faith to Concord and formed a Universalist Society in 1854. Society members erected this building in 1866 and . . . — Map (db m78876) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Concord — L1842 — Paddock-Hubbard House
Side 1 In 1843 New York natives Alfred and Ruth Paddock migrated to Concord Township. Within two years they erected this Greek Revival house, reminiscent of those in their home state. A prominent merchant, Alfred Paddock (1805-1870) owned . . . — Map (db m78877) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Grass Lake — 233 — The Jackson Area
Pioneers in the 1830's by the tens of thousands traveled west over the Territorial Road (roughly parallel to I-94). Many of them stopped in the Jackson area to take up land. Jackson County was named after Andrew Jackson and organized in 1832. The . . . — Map (db m86567) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor — 11 — Michigan Central College Residence HallSpring Arbor Historical Committee
This building, constructed in 1845 and pictured here in 1903, served as a residence hall of Michigan Central College. The connecting living quarters t the right were built in 1873 by Moses L. Hart, father of Rev. E.P. Hart. Moses Hart, the . . . — Map (db m86569) HM
Michigan (Jackson County), Spring Arbor Township — L1910 — Huron Potawatomi Village / Spring Arbor
Huron Potawatomi Village As early as 1825 large numbers of Potawatomi encamped at this location. One of the most prominent Huron Potatwatomi located here was Wabkezhik (Whapcazeek), who was wounded during the 1811 Battle of Tippicanoe Creek . . . — Map (db m84726) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Addison — S0297 — Woodstock Manual Labor Institute
Prior Foster, an Ohio Negro, began this school "in the woods" in 1844 and four years later it was incorporated. Designed to serve "colored people and others," the Institute taught a full range of subjects and was one of the nation's first integrated . . . — Map (db m34694) HM
Michigan (Lenawee County), Cambridge Township — S611 — St. Joseph's Church / St. Joseph's Shrine
St. Joseph's Church St. Joseph's Church originated as a missionary church during the 1850s. Priests from Adrian, Clinton, Manchester, Tecumseh and Monroe served the parish until the first resident priest arrived in 1954. The original church, . . . — Map (db m84920) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Clinton Township — 1963 — Clinton Grove Cemetery
Established in 1855, the Clinton Grove Cemetery exhibits an exquisite array of funerary art in a wooded landscape. This combination of nature and monuments reflects the rural cemetery movement of the nineteenth century, which popularized park-like . . . — Map (db m32164) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Clinton Township — S142 — Moravian Road
In 1782 marauding American militia massacred nearly one hundred Christian Delaware Indians at their village in eastern Ohio. Seeking refuge, the Delaware settled on the Clinton River two and one-half miles north of here, on land granted by the . . . — Map (db m85632) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L575 — Carnegie Library
Mount Clemens Carnegie building was erected in 1904 and was the first Carnegie Library built in Macomb County. It is one out of 1,681 such libraries across the United States financed by Andrew Carnegie, the industrialist and philanthropist. The . . . — Map (db m85696) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L181 — Crocker House
The first mayor of Mount Clemens, Josua Dickinson, built this Italianate house in 1869. His daughter Katherine (1849-1882), the great-granddaughter of city founder Christian Clemens, and his son-in-law, George M. Crocker (1848-1918), moved into it . . . — Map (db m85660) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L412 — Grace Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Diocese of Michigan sent Edward Magee to Mount Clemens in 1849. The interest generated by this missionary visit culminated a year later when the Grace Episcopal congregation was formed. In December of that year Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m85763) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — 1925 — Methodist Episcopal Church
When this Collegiate Gothic Church, designed by Cleveland architect Herman W. Maurer, was dedicated during the week of of January 3, 1926, the Mount Clemens Daily Leader called it a "Monument to Unity of Action." Over a century earlier, in 1820, the . . . — Map (db m32093) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L643 — Mount Clemens Mineral Bath Industry
For seven decades, Mount Clemens was internationally renowned as a mineral bath resort city. In 1865 the first well was sunk to obtain brine for salt production. Because of the high cost of separating the salt from the various other minerals and . . . — Map (db m85658) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1344 — Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House
(Side 1) Opened in 1899, the Saint Joseph Sanitarium and Bath House is the only building remaining from the Mount Clemens bath era. Beginning in 1870, people suffering from rheumatism, blood poisoning, diabetes and skin diseases, among . . . — Map (db m85643) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1939 — Saint Mary's School
(Side 1) In 1870 Father Camillius Maes of Saint Peter Parish erected Saint Mary's School on this lot, adjacent to the church. When the grammar school opened in that year, it was the first Catholic school in the city and in Macomb . . . — Map (db m85703) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Mount Clemens — L1251 — Zion Church
Side 1 Organized on July 3, 1854, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church was the first German Protestant congregation in Mount Clemens. Its founding trustees were John Rossow and Abraham Devantier from Prussia, John William Miller and Carsten . . . — Map (db m85723) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — L1624 — Ray Township District No. 1 School
In 1863, Ray area farmers built what became known popularly as Mill School. Kindergarten through eighth grade students attended school here until 1953. That year the school district consolidated with Romeo School District and it transferred the . . . — Map (db m34018) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Ray Township — L1389 — Religious Society Church
The First Religious Society of Ray organized in 1869 and built this church on land donated by Arad Freeman, a member of Ray's founding families. Known for a time as the Ray Union Church, it originally had a steeple, and was similar in design to the . . . — Map (db m34016) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Sterling Heights — S0309 — Holcombe Beach
Near this site in 1961 archaeologists from the Aboriginal Research Club and the University of Michigan uncovered evidence of an early Paleo-Indian settlement. Here about 11,000 years ago these first prehistoric dwellers in the Great Lakes region . . . — Map (db m34227) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Sterling Heights — L1127 — Upton House
Side 1 Constructed in 1866-67, the William Upton House is one of the oldest surviving nineteenth-century brick dwellings in Sterling Heights. Italianate in style, the house features a reconstructed open porch topped by a second story . . . — Map (db m79392) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Bunert-Weier Farm
Gottlieb and Susan Bunert bought the 80 acre farm in 1849. They built a log cabin, dug a well and started to farm. Their daughter's (Wilhelmine) diary stated the brick house was built in 1876, barn in 1883 and the carriage garage in 1892. . . . — Map (db m78829) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Gillett - Beer Farm
Peter & Sally Gillett moved to Warren Township from New York in 1832, buying 82 acres of land from the government. Part of the current house was built before 1840. Peter sold a portion of land to the First Methodist Episcopal Church in 1845 as a . . . — Map (db m67921) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — Norman J. Halmich Park
After their immigration from Germany to America in 1851, the Halmich family owned several farms in and around Warren. The largest portion of what is now Halmich Park was a cattle farm owned by the Charles Halmich family. The property was sold . . . — Map (db m67919) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — 1654 — Warren Township District No. 4 School
This building was commonly names Bunert School, for August and Mine Bunert, who sold land to Warren School District No. 4 in January 1875. The school was built later that year on the northeast cornet of the intersection of Bunert and Martin roads. . . . — Map (db m77790) HM
Michigan (Macomb County), Warren — L1774 — Warren Union Cemetery
In 1845 pioneer farmer Peter Gillete sold a parcel of land to eighteen families for use a burial ground. The Warren Union Cemetery Association was organized in 1852 to maintain the cemetery, which consists of two and one-quarter acres. Some of the . . . — Map (db m67918) HM
Michigan (Midland County), Midland — L1581 — The Upper Bridge
When completed in 1908 the Upper Bridge, today known as the Currie Parkway Bridge, replaced its wooden predecessor as the main crossing over the Tittabawassee River. The Joliet Bridge and Iron Company of Illinois constructed the bridge for $7,500. . . . — Map (db m45947) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Atlanta — L1808 — Big Rock
Natural features have often played a role in the naming of communities. One such settlement was Big Rock. Named after a massive boulder, this hamlet was located at the crossroads of present-day M-32 and Thornton Road. Seth Gillet became the first . . . — Map (db m33279) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L2132 — Angusdale Stock Farm
A Milwaukee businessman, Cephas Buttles became aware of Lewiston through his brother-in-law David Kneeland, the president of Kneeland and Bigelow Lumber Company. In 1901 Buttles purchased 25,000 acres of cutover timberlands and started the Home . . . — Map (db m33253) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L0647 — Camp Lunden
In June 1933 two hundred unmarried, able-bodied men between the ages of seventeen and twenty-three, members of the Civilian Conservation Corps, set up camp on Hunt Creek. Soon after, they relocated to this site, which they named Camp Lunden. In 1936 . . . — Map (db m33293) HM
Michigan (Montmorency County), Lewiston — L1500 — Congregational United Church of Christ
Lewiston developed in 1891-1892 around the Michelson and Hanson Lumber Company. Dr. U.H. Traver and George Tuxworth held the first religious meetings in the lumber camp. The Reverend A.M. Hills was sent by the Congregational Conference of Michigan . . . — Map (db m33303) HM
Michigan (Muskegon County), North Muskegon — L726 — Jean Baptiste Recollect Trading Post
Near this site, on the shore of Muskegon Lake, stood the first Indian fur trading post in Muskegon County. It was established in 1812 by Jean Baptiste Recollect, a French fur trader believed to be this area's first white settler. Jean Recollect . . . — Map (db m84587) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Berkley — L1060 — Roseland Park Mausoleum
The Roseland Park Mausoleum was the largest public mausoleum in the United States when it was dedicated in 1914. Designed by Detroit architect Louis Kamper (1861-1953), the classically inspired, two-story building contains 1,300 crypts. Before . . . — Map (db m33026) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Bell Building
In 1915, Samuel Oliver Wylie Bell, at one time Village Trustee, bought out his partner George Daines in the combined furniture store and undertaking establishment and built a two story brick structure. In 1929, the store was remodeled and S.S. . . . — Map (db m86485) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Billy McBride Building122 West Maple
This building was erected by Billy McBride in 1925. It is located on the site of an old fire-hose drying tower, which was built in 1892 and razed in 1920. After Hallock's Grocery closed, McBride expanded his candy store and restaurant into the . . . — Map (db m86302) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — City Hall
City Hall was built in 1928 and housed the village and township offices, as well as, the fire and police departments. The tower was used for drying fire hoses until about 1950. It was also designed to accommodate a clock. A Civic Center plan, . . . — Map (db m86291) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Field Building
The two story brick building was erected before 1920, by Mr. Ford, who had a paint and hardware business in the west side of the first floor. In the east side there was a 5 & 10¢ Store. In 1923, there was a severe fire in the building which resulted . . . — Map (db m86290) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Ford Building101 North Old Woodward
This structure was built in 1896 by Frank Ford, who built the Ford-Peabody House in 1878. The corner was occupied by Levinson's Department Store from 1897 to 1916. Two smaller businesses occupied units at the extreme west and north ends. The First . . . — Map (db m86377) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Huston Building
Elmer Huston had this building constructed with two stores on the ground level and apartments above in 1923. It housed the post office and a variety store from 1924 to 1928. In 1929, the Mulholland Dry Goods Company moved into both spaces. The . . . — Map (db m86486) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Johnston-Shaw Building
Dr. Daniel Johnston, dentist, and Dr. Ninian T. Shaw, a physician, had this two story brick commercial building erected in 1905. The facade of this building was extended north to include the O'Neal Building (112 South Old Woodward) and give the . . . — Map (db m86303) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Theater Building
The Briggs Investment Company and John H. Kunsky Theatrical Enterprises erected this large building in 1926 to contain shops, offices, a bowling alley in the basement, and a motion picture theater with facilities for vaudeville productions. The . . . — Map (db m86304) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Erity-Nixon Building
This red brick building was erected in the 1880's by William Erity and his son-in-law, Chauncy Nixon. The Erity family and later the Nixon family owned and operated a mill near the corner of Evergreen Road and Riverside Drive in Beverly Hills. The . . . — Map (db m86379) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The National Bank Building
In 1919, on the former site of the old National Hotel, George Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead erected this building to house the First National Bank and various shops. Throughout the decades, different banks have occupied this building, including the . . . — Map (db m86378) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Quarton Building
Fred V. Quarton erected this building in 1916 on the site of the family home of his wife, Emma Blakeslee. Through the years, the facade at street level has changed several times, but the second floor has kept its original appearance even including . . . — Map (db m86301) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Shain Townhouses
These townhouses were built as two story attached dwelling units in the Arts and Crafts style in 1916. Their use is commercial now, but their appearance is still very much as it originally was. — Map (db m86369) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Bloomfield Hills — L1156 — The Academy of the Sacred Heart
Responding to a request from the Antoine Beaubien family, five religious of the French order of the Sacred Heart came from New York to Detroit in 1851. The religious opened a school on Jefferson Avenue in June of that year with ten day students and . . . — Map (db m68347) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — City of FarmingtonOriginal Historic District (designated by broken line) Settled 1824
Buildings and sites of historic interest 1. First Post Office, 1825 (23925 Farmington Road) 2. Approximate site of first school, 1826 3. Site of first saw mill, 1826 4. Oldest frame house in Farmington, 1824 5. Site of first tavern, . . . — Map (db m85016) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Farmington Masonic Temple and Farmington Township Hall
The building was constructed in 1876 by the Township of Farmington and the Farmington Masonic Lodge No. 151. The Township government occupied the first floor of the building until 1963 when a new Township facility was constructed. The Masonic Lodge . . . — Map (db m85139) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Farmington's First Post Office
The original house was built on this site in 1825 for Dr. Ezekiel Webb, Farmington's first physician. Dr. Webb was appointed as Farmington's first postmaster in 1826. This house served as a Post Office, physician's office and as a residence for the . . . — Map (db m85098) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — 266 — First Quaker Meeting
In the 1820's, members of the Society of Friends played a key role in the settlement of several Michigan communities. Farmington was founded in 1824 by Arthur Power, a Quaker from Farmington, New York. In 1831, what was apparently Michigan's first . . . — Map (db m85104) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — S371 — Gov. Fred M. Warner
This large white Civil War Era house in the center of Farmington's historic district has been the residence of the Warner family for many decades. Here lived Fred M. Warner, governor of Michigan from 1905 to 1911. Born in England in 1865, Warner . . . — Map (db m85141) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — L2195 — Methodist Episcopal Church
Sixteen pioneers organized the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1829. The congregation dedicated its first church building in 1844. When that church burned in 1920, Detroit architects and church members Wells Butterfield and his daughter Emily . . . — Map (db m85391) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Oakwood Cemetery
This peaceful area of natural beauty was donated by Arthur Power, Farmington founder, from his original holdings for use as a non-denominational cemetery. The first person to die in Farmington was a Mr. Green, the village cobbler, who was interred . . . — Map (db m85207) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — The Potawatomi Indians of Farmington
The Potawatomi, the Algonquin-speaking tribe most closely associated with this region, were often more friendly to the French and British than to the Americans. Religious and unwarlike, they had no permanent village here as they considered . . . — Map (db m85206) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — The Village Center
Two Indian Trails crossed at this point: the Orchard Lake Trail running north and south, and the Shiawassee Trail running east and west. In 1824, a Quaker settlement began to develop around this point. In the 1850's, the settlement expanded . . . — Map (db m85158) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington — Travel Through Timeon Farmington's Grand River Avenue
Long before our everyday journeys, people traveled along this important road. This was once the Grand River Trail, a pathway Native Americans followed across Michigan before European settlement. Farmington founder Arthur Power came here along . . . — Map (db m85441) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — "The Stuart Little Pond"
In the spring of 1953, Eleanor Olney Spicer age 12 was walking her dog, a toy Manchester terrier named Stuart Little, after the children's book, Stuart Little by E.B. White. Suddenly Stuart noticed a small animal and chased it into a drainpipe and . . . — Map (db m46697) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — Spicer House
Architect Marcus Burrowes designed this lovely home in 1925 for David and Martha Gray. Burrowes selected the site and built the house to blend with the land, yet retain an historic English architectural form. The Grays never lived in the house. . . . — Map (db m79852) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Farmington Hills — The Walker/Wixom Tavern
The first country inn in Farmington was the log home of Solomon Walker, opened in 1827. A gala celebration was held there for New Year's Eve 1828, followed by the first Township meeting in 1829. East of his log house Walker built a Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m84873) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — L1074 — Ferndale School
Constructed in 1915 — Map (db m34228) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Ferndale — 705 — Michigan's First Tri-level Intersection
During the 1950s, as Oakland County's population soared, the corner of Eight Mile Road and Woodward Avenue became the most congested crossroad in Michigan. The solution, envisioned in a plan created by Detroit and its surrounding counties in the . . . — Map (db m31894) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — L0602 — Battle Alley
This historic district was once the scene of frequent brawls. In 1880, an uproar between local rowdies and workers of a traveling circus rendered so many bruised, beaten, and jailed, that this street was thus named "Battle Alley." Carry A. Nation, . . . — Map (db m34527) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — L0832 — Crapo Park
Henry Howland Crapo (1804-1869)--wealthy lumberman, Republican, state senator (1863-64) and governor of Michigan (1865-68)--owned prosperous lumberyards in Holly, Fenton and Flint. Lumber and railroads were essential elements in the development of . . . — Map (db m34494) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Holly — L1261 — Holly's Town Hall
Holly's Town Hall has been a center of community activity since it was built in 1892. Holly Township in Oakland County was formally organized in 1838, and the Village of Holly was incorporated in 1865. The two local governments decided to join . . . — Map (db m34541) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Huntington Woods — L1360 — Fred A. Baker House
In 1890, Fred A. Baker, an attorney and former state legislator, purchased 320 acres of land in Royal Oak Township. He developed the land into the Black Meadow Dairy Farm, one of the area's largest dairies. This Colonial Revival house was built in . . . — Map (db m34269) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — Dr. Firman W. Clawson Homestead Site
On this site stood the old homestead of Dr. Firman W. Clawson the original owner & subdivider of Northwood "the Homesite Beautiful" Planned & planted A.D. 1900 — Map (db m33003) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1610 — First Baptist Church of Royal Oak
(Side 1) Several members of this church were significant to its early development. In 1839 charter member Hamlet Harris, "a free colored person" according to the 1840 census, donated $25.00 towards the construction of the first church. . . . — Map (db m85288) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — Indian Trail
This depressed path, northwest across the Almon Starr land, is the last visible remnant of a trail worn by the feet of Indians and the hoofs of their horses traveling between Detroit and Saginaw until the mid 1800s. The children of the American . . . — Map (db m33002) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — 484 — Orson Starr Home
Orson Starr (1803-1873) and his wife, Rhoda Gibbs Starr, (1806-1853) built this home in 1845. Five generations of the Starr family lived here until 1964. The house was purchased by the city of Royal Oak in 1976. Orson Starr came to this area in 1831 . . . — Map (db m32971) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1562 — Royal Oak Methodist Episcopal Church
On May 3, 1918, the Royal Oak Tribune boasted that, "architecturally and artistically," the new Methodist Episcopal Church was "the achievement of a master mind." William E. N. Hunter, a Detroit architect and Methodist who designed many . . . — Map (db m34270) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L1967 — Royal Oak Township Cemetery / Saint Mary Catholic Cemetery
Royal Oak Township Cemetery In 1826 Daniel Burrows donated land for use as a cemetery. The first burial was the infant daughter of Laura Swift Chase and David Chase, who later served as township supervisor and a delegate to the "Convention . . . — Map (db m85340) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — L0679 — Royal Oak Woman's Club
Erected in 1839, this building was originally a small frame Baptist church. The village purchased it for a town hall in 1914 and used it for municipal purposes until 1923, when the Royal Oak Woman's Club acquired it. The club, founded in 1902 as a . . . — Map (db m34271) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — S164 — Saginaw Trail / John Almon Starr House
Saginaw Trail The Saginaw Trail, running from Detroit to Saginaw through Pontiac and Flint, was originally an Indian trail. In 1816 Michigan territorial government authorized the building of a road from Detroit to Saginaw along the trail. Part . . . — Map (db m33001) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Royal Oak — The Royal Oak
Near this spot stood the oak tree named by General Cass "The Royal Oak" from which Royal Oak Township received its name. — Map (db m32443) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Southfield — S0223 — Lawrence Institute of Technology
Lawrence Tech was chartered in 1932 by the Lawrence brothers, Russell E. and E. George. The college was located in Highland Park on Woodward Avenue until 1955, when the first building opened on this campus. Lawrence Tech, founded as an undergraduate . . . — Map (db m34596) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — S425 — S.S. Kresge Company
Sebastion Spering Kresge founded the firm in 1899 in Detroit. His guidance during its formative years was responsible for its initial success. By 1916, when it was incorporated in Michigan, the company numbered 150 units. Innovative and careful . . . — Map (db m68167) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Troy — S426 — The Kresge Foundation
Sebastion Spering Kresge established this foundation in 1924 on the 25th anniversary of the company he organized in Detroit. The foundation's sole donor, he remained chairman of the board until retiring in 1966, shortly before his death. Grants of . . . — Map (db m68201) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Waterford — L61 — Four Towns Methodist Church
Four Towns received its name because it is near the point where the townships of West Bloomfield, Commerce, Waterford, and White Lake meet. In 1866 a frame schoolhouse was built here, on land donated by Nathan R. Colvin. From that year until 1930 . . . — Map (db m46645) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — L1635 — First Congregational Church
The First Congregational Church is the oldest congregation in Gaylord. In 1874 the Reverend James McKay founded it as a mission church with twenty-one members. It was officially organized three years later. In 1878 the Reverend Abram Van Auken . . . — Map (db m33351) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — Gaylord, Michigan
Settled in the year 1874 by the Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw Railroad, the new community was named for Augustine Smith Gaylord, an attorney for the railroad. Born in Jefferson, Ohio in 1831, he started the Saginaw Public School System in 1851. He . . . — Map (db m33369) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — 219 — Otsego County
First named Okkuddo when it was set off in 1840, this county was renamed Otsego in 1843 after a New York county and lake of that name. It is said to mean "clear water." Settlement did not begin until the late 1860's when lumbering was started. . . . — Map (db m33370) HM
Michigan (Otsego County), Gaylord — 2149 — St. Mary's Catholic Church
St. Mary's Church began as a mission of the Catholic diocese of Grand Rapids. The first church was built around 1884. The parish grew to become a predominantly Polish congregation while under the pastorate of Father Casimir Skory (1892-1905). In . . . — Map (db m33374) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — L1780 — Central Avenue Christian Reformed Church
In 1865, The Holland Church, the city's first Christian Reformed congregation, was founded. In 1866 the group bought this lot on what was then Market Street and moved a school here to use as a church. The following year the congregation built a new . . . — Map (db m67736) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — 89 — Dutch in Michigan
On February 9, 1847, the Reverend Albertus C. Van Raalte and a band of Hollanders founded the city of Holland. Within two years the other four original colonies--Graafschap, Zeeland, Vriesland, Overisel--had also been established. Plagued by illness . . . — Map (db m55403) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — L551 — Holland City Hall and Firehouse No. 2
The city of Holland bought this lot in 1882, and contractor James Huntley began construction of a fire hall the next year. Completed in 1884, the building housed Holland's city offices and library until 1912 and served as a fire hall until 1978. . . . — Map (db m68221) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — L0394 — Holland Harbor Lighthouse / Holland Harbor
(side 1) Holland Harbor Lighthouse The first lighthouse built at this location was a small, square wooden structure erected in 1872. In 1880 the lighthouse service installed a new light atop a metal pole in a protective cage. The oil . . . — Map (db m41967) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — 2027 — Holland Post Office
In 1848, in response to pressure from the settlers of Holland, the U.S. Congress created the community's first post office, with Henry D. Post as postmaster. Originally named Black River, the Holland post office relocated to rented quarters several . . . — Map (db m64907) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Holland — HB49 — Third Reformed Church
Side 1: Under the leadership of the Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte, founder of the Holland colony, the Third Reformed Church was organized on September 9, 1867. The first house of worship, measuring 90' long, 56' wide, and 32' high, was . . . — Map (db m67571) HM
Michigan (Ottawa County), Macatawa — L394 — Holland Harbor / Holland Harbor Lighthouse
(Side 1) Holland Harbor When seeking a location for his Netherlands emigrant followers in 1847, the Reverend A.C. Van Raalte was attracted by the potential of using Black Lake (Lake Macatawa) as a harbor. However, the lake's . . . — Map (db m67577) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L1877 — Burnham's Landing
Frederick Burnham settled in Michigan in the 1840s. In 1850 he married Julia Clark in Ann Arbor. Beginning in the 1850s, the Burnhams acquired large tracts of Presque Isle County's rich timberlands. Among their holdings was the land purchased in . . . — Map (db m66627) HM
Michigan (Presque Isle County), Presque Isle — L2228 — Presque Isle Lodge
Newell Avery Eddy Jr., who built the Presque Isle Lodge, was born in Bay City in 1880 to a lumbering family that had relocated from Maine to Michigan's Saginaw Valley in the early 1850s. In addition to the Eddy Brothers and Company lumber operation, . . . — Map (db m66747) HM
Michigan (Saint Joseph County), White Pigeon — L1521 — Chief Wahbememe Burial Site
Side 1 Potawatomi Chief Wahbememe (White Pigeon) was a signer of the 1795 Treaty of Greenville, which placed Michigan Great Lakes forts in U.S. hands. The chief was known as a friend to the white settlers in Michigan. According to legend, . . . — Map (db m47179) HM
Michigan (Sanilac County), Lexington — L0997 — Old Town Hall and Masonic Temple
The village of Lexington and the local Masonic Lodge combined their efforts and finances to build this three-story Italianate structure in 1876. The village owned the first two floors (the fire department and the opera house); the Masons, the third . . . — Map (db m41200) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — L339 — Michigan Central Railroad Depot
Built in 1886, and conceived by Frederick Spier, the design of this granite block building was influenced by the Romanesque style of the great American architect Henry Hobson Richardson. The massive arch and two-foot thick walls are balanced by . . . — Map (db m51751) HM
Michigan (Washtenaw County), Ann Arbor — L1181 — St. Thomas the Apostle Church
In 1831 Father Patrick O'Kelly came from Detroit to minister to the Irish Catholics in the Washtenaw area. He offered his first mass in Ann Arbor on July 12, 1835, in a home located on land bounded by Detroit, Kingsley and Fifth Streets. St. Thomas . . . — Map (db m51695) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Allen Park — S366 — Aaron Greeley / St Cosme Line Road
Aaron Greeley In 1796, when the United States occupied Michigan, there existed many conflicting land claims along the Detroit and Rouge Rivers. Congress in 1806 created a Board of Land Commissioners to adjust these claims. Aaron Greeley, an . . . — Map (db m85916) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1152 — Dearborn City Hall Complex / Orville L. Hubbard
Dearborn Town Hall Complex This municipal building opened on June 26, 1922, as the seat of government for the Village of Springwells, which became a city in 1924, and in 1925 was renamed Fordson (for Henry and Edsel Ford). After Fordson . . . — Map (db m85481) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1629 — Dearborn Hills Golf Club
During his long career Robert Herndon developed over fifty subdivisions and nine golf courses. In 1922 he opened the Dearborn Hills Golf Club. According to the Dearborn Times Herald, it was Michigan's first public golf course. Having been . . . — Map (db m33663) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — Dr. Samuel Pierce Duffield
1833-1916 - Physician - Chemist - Pharmacist - One of the founders of Parke, Davis & Company, Dr. Duffield's stately residence was located about one-half mile west from this marker. About 100 feet further west was located his laboratory where he . . . — Map (db m32500) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 17 — Fair Lane
Here Henry and Clara Bryant Ford lived from 1915 until their deaths in 1947 and 1950. The eminent American auto magnate and inventor named Fair Lane after the road on which his father, William Ford, was born in County Cork, Ireland. The fifty-six . . . — Map (db m31690) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S0126 — Ford Airport / Ford Tri-Motor
The Ford Airport At this airport, built by Henry Ford in 1924, world and national history was made, ushering in a new era of flight embracing the all-metal airliner, radio control devices, air mail, scheduled flights, and the airline services . . . — Map (db m14956) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S493 — Ford Rouge Plant
Henry Ford began construction of this complex on the banks of the River Rouge in April, 1917. Here, the Ford Motor Company built World War I submarine chasers known as "Eagle" boats. By the mid-1920s this plant was the largest manufacturing center . . . — Map (db m85592) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S493 — Ford Rouge Plant
Henry Ford began construction of this complex on the banks of the River Rouge in April, 1917. Here, the Ford Motor Company built World War I submarine chasers known as "Eagle" boats. By the mid-1920s this plant was the largest manufacturing center . . . — Map (db m85810) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 660 — Fordson High School
Side 1 When it was dedicated on March 22, 1928, Fordson High School was hailed as "one of the finest school buildings in the United States." Designed in the Neo-Tudor style, the school is reminiscent of sixteenth century English universities . . . — Map (db m32948) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — 236 — Henry Ford Birthplace
At this intersection stood the home in which Henry Ford was born on July 30, 1863. The farm house was owned by Ford's parents, William and Mary Ford, and in 1944 it was moved to Greenfield Village. In a space of less than ten years at the beginning . . . — Map (db m32946) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1994 — Saint Alphonsus Parish / Saint Alphonsus Catholic Church Complex
Saint Alphonsus Parish Attracted by fertile farmland, some forty German-speaking families from Rhineland-Westphalia settled in this area between 1825 and 1848. The community celebrated its first Catholic Mass in the home of Peter and . . . — Map (db m85578) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — S0386 — St. Joseph's Retreat
In 1885 Michigan's first private mental institution was located here under the guidance of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1855 the Sisters at St. Mary's Hospital in Detroit had begun the care of the mentally ill, formerly . . . — Map (db m33657) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — L1070 — The Dearborn Inn / Colonial Homes and Adjacent Buildings
The Dearborn Inn Henry Ford built the Dearborn Inn in 1931 to accommodate overnight travelers arriving at the Ford Airport. Located opposite the inn on Oakwood Boulevard, the airport opened in 1924. The 179-room inn, designed by Albert Kahn, . . . — Map (db m36017) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — The Neighborhoodthat the Rouge Plant Built
There has always been a lot to stop for here. In the 1800s, the Six Mile Inn was a rural rest stop here along the Chicago Road (today's Michigan Avenue) from Detroit. But the development nearby in the early 1900s of Ford Motor Company's . . . — Map (db m85498) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn — The Ten Eyck Tavern
Conrad Ten Eyck (1782-1847) built a famous tavern in 1826 about 300 feet west of this marker--the first resting place of travelers, one day's trip west of Detroit. It stood on the River Rouge at a point where the Chicago Road forked. The northerly . . . — Map (db m32498) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Dearborn Heights — L0067 — Wallaceville School
Constructed in 1824 as a church, the original log building on this site was the first school in Bucklin (later Dearborn) Township. In 1829 the building became a public school. When John B. Wallace donated the land and building to the school . . . — Map (db m32530) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L388 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1839 a group of black Detroit citizens formed the Colored Methodist Society, which became the core of the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church. The group held meetings in a hall which was donated by the Detroit Common Council. The Society . . . — Map (db m32496) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0687 — Chapman Abraham / Jewish Soldiers in the Civil War
(front side):Chapman Abraham During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the British took Canada from France and with it possession of French forts in the western Great Lakes region, including Detroit. The post remained an important . . . — Map (db m33485) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S325 — Charles Lang Freer House / Merrill-Palmer Institute
Charles Lang Freer House Detroit industrialist Charles Lang Freer prospered primarily as a railroad car manufacturer. This house, considered Michigan's finest example of the Shingle Style, was designed by Wilson Eyre Jr. of Philadelphia and . . . — Map (db m84630) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S280 — Chicago Road
The Great Sauk Trail, the most important Indian trail in the Great Lakes region, was used later by French explorers, fur traders, missionaries, and soldiers. After the 1760's the trail became a major road for British and American travelers. In the . . . — Map (db m42298) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S358 — David Whitney, Jr. Residence
This mansion was once described as "an American palace enjoying the distinction of being the most pretentious modern home in the state and one of the most elaborate houses in the west." David Whitney, Jr. (1830-1900), its owner, was one of the . . . — Map (db m84641) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1207 — Detroit Association of Women's Clubs
The Detroit Association of Colored Women's Clubs was organized on April 8, 1921, with eight clubs. This association reached its peak membership in 1945 with 73 clubs and 3,000 members. Affiliated with the Michigan and National Associations of . . . — Map (db m84638) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Detroit River HeritageRiver History
For centuries, Native People used the Detroit River for travel, trade, and food. From 1701 to the mid-19th century, French, British, and American settlers used the River the same way. After 1870, companies that processed steel, chemicals, . . . — Map (db m33419) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L329 — First Congregational Church of Detroit
In 1801, David Bacon and his wife Alice made the first attempt to establish Congregationalism in Detroit. Sent by a Connecticut Congregational society, the Bacons failed in their efforts to build a mission. It was not until 1844 that the First . . . — Map (db m84643) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L497 — First Unitarian Universalist Church
Perry W. McAdow and his wife Clara built this elaborate mansion in 1891. The McAdows, who had earned their fortune in the gold mines of Montana, lived here from 1891 to 1897. The house continued as a private residence until 1913, when it was sold to . . . — Map (db m84642) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L0594 — Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company was incorporated as an automobile manufacturer on June 16, 1903. The articles of incorporation were drawn up and signed in the office of Alexander Y. Malcolmson, who operated a coal yard once located on this site. Henry Ford gave . . . — Map (db m33525) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront HistorySt. Aubin Park Riverwalk
Stone 1: St. Aubin Park Riverwalk Glimpses of Detroit's Riverfront History This walk made possible by: Friends of Partners Detroit Recreation Department Dedicated July 1969 Stone 2: The Many Names of . . . — Map (db m33975) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1037 — Hilberry Theatre
This structure was completed in 1917 for the First Church of Christ, Scientist. Field, Hinchman and Smith - predecessor to the architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman and Grylls - designed it in a Classical Roman Ionic style. In 1961 Wayne State . . . — Map (db m84482) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L1565 — Lewis College of Business
This Colonial Revival structure was built in 1910 for James F. Murphy, Treasurer of the Murphy Chair Company and a future director of the Murphy-Potter Company. In 1941 it became the office of the Lewis College of Business. Violet T. Lewis had . . . — Map (db m84637) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S514 — Mackenzie House
This 1895 Queen Anne style house, designed by Malcolmson & Higginbotham, was the home of David Mackenzie. Educator, scholar, and humanitarian, Mackenzie fostered higher education for Detroit students. While principal of Central High School, then . . . — Map (db m84284) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S592 — Motown
Side 1 The "Motown Sound" was created on this site from 1959 to 1972. The company was started with an $800 loan from the savings club of the Bertha and Berry Gordy, Sr., family. Originally called Tamla Records, the company's first national . . . — Map (db m84958) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L485 — Omega Psi Phi
This Victorian structure built in the early 1890s houses the Detroit chapter of the first national Greek letter fraternity established at a Negro University. Omega Psi Phi was founded in 1911 at Howard University in Washington D.C. The Greek letters . . . — Map (db m84636) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — Peter Wetherill Stroh
Peter Wetherill Stroh (1927-2002) was a Detroit business leader, civic activist and philanthropist. A great grandson of the founder of The Stroh Brewery Company, he became Chairman and CEO of the family business while at the same time maintaining a . . . — Map (db m33469) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S563 — Robert Pauli Scherer
Robert Pauli Scherer (1906-1960) was a native of Detroit and a graduate of Detroit's public schools. In 1930, at the age of twenty-four, he invented the rotary die encapsulation machine in a workshop located in the basement of this structure. The . . . — Map (db m84640) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L332 — Scarab Club
Founded in 1907, the Scarab Club is one of Michigan's oldest arts organizations. Originally called the Hopkin Club after Detroit marine painter Robert Hopkin, it was renamed in 1913. The scarab, an Egyptian symbol of rebirth, represents the clubs . . . — Map (db m84639) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 536 — State Savings Bank
Completed in 1900, this is Michigan's preeminent example of design by the internationally renowned architects, McKim, Mead and White of New York. The three-story Neoclassical structure features a white marble exterior with bronze window units. Among . . . — Map (db m42265) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Black Presence in Detroit
This hallowed land was early Detroit. First came the Indians, then Cadillac and French settlers with their Black and Indian slaves. These early Blacks were French speaking Catholics with French names. History recorded that our first Black inhabitant . . . — Map (db m33483) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Cadillac Convoy / Le Convoi de Cadillac
(English side) The Cadillac Convoy In recognition of the courage, perseverance and expertise of the French-Canadians who brought Antoine de Lamothe Cadillac to establish the first permanent settlement at Le Détroit du Lac Érié. . . . — Map (db m33687) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — The Gateway to FreedomEd Dwight - Sculptor
Until Emancipation, Detroit and the Detroit River community served as the gateway to freedom for thousands of African American people escaping enslavement. Detroit was one of the largest terminals of the Underground Railroad, a network of . . . — Map (db m33459) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — S0515 — The Landing of Cadillac / Le débarquement de Cadillac
The Landing of Cadillac (English side) After departing Montreal June 5, 1701, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac and his convoy of 25 canoes sailed down this river and on the evening of July 23 camped 16 miles below the present city of Detroit on . . . — Map (db m33522) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — L358 — Thompson Home
This Victorian structure was completed in 1884. It was named for wealthy Detroit businessman David Thompson. In his will Thompson instructed his wife Mary to use part of his estate to found a charitable institution. She commissioned George DeWitt . . . — Map (db m84419) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Detroit — 116 — Wayne State University
Here in the Central High building completed in 1896 was founded in 1917 Detroit Junior College, from which grew a College of Liberal Arts. It united with other colleges, some begun here and some bearing notable histories in other parts of the city, . . . — Map (db m84262) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Garden City — L0041 — A Nankin Pioneer
On May 10, 1825, Marcus Swift, from Palmyra, N. Y., bought the northwest corner of Section 11 in Nankin Township from the United States government. He was the first to own land now part of Garden City. The Swift family's log cabin overlooked the . . . — Map (db m33765) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Hamtramck — S252 — Colonel John Francis Hamtramck
Side 1 John Francis Hamtramck was a native of Canada who dedicated his life to the new American nation. Born in 1756, Hamtramck fought in the American Revolution. He distinguished himself during and after the war fighting both Indian and . . . — Map (db m86443) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Hamtramck — L2189 — Saint Florian Church / Saint Florian Historic District
Saint Florian Church Saint Florian Parish was founded in 1907 to serve the Detroit area's rapidly expanding Polish Catholic community. By the 1920s Saint Florian was the second largest Catholic parish in Detroit, and it required a larger . . . — Map (db m86442) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Hamtramck — L2188 — The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main
The Dodge Brothers John (1864-1920) and Horace (1868-1920) Dodge grew up in Niles, Michigan. During the late nineteenth century they worked as machinists at the Murphy Boiler Works in Detroit and at the Dominion Typograph Company in Windsor, . . . — Map (db m86444) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L0139 — Joshua Simmons Farm
In 1824 Joshua Simmons of Bristol, New York, obtained a patent from the federal government for 160 acres of land in Livonia Township. Simmons and his wife, Hannah, were among the township's earliest white settlers. Their first home was a log shanty, . . . — Map (db m34973) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L261 — Wilson Barn
This barn was constructed in 1919 on the burnt-out foundation of an earlier structure built about 1888. It is a fine example of an increasingly rare bank barn style. Here, on the farm owned and operated by his family since 1847, Ira Wilson built a . . . — Map (db m78987) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Melvindale — L25 — Reves-Wilhelm Cemetery
In this small cemetery are buried members of a pioneer family that settled this land in the 1820's. Many descendants still live in this area. Here lies Peter Wilhelm, who in 1827 or 1829 acquired Private Claim 49, an old French ribbon farm whose . . . — Map (db m85941) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — L1665 — First Presbyterian Church of Northville
In 1829 former members of the Farmington Church organized this church, originally named the First Presbyterian Church of Plymouth. In 1835-1836 a frame church was built here on land donated by D. L. Cady. A New England-inspired brick church opened . . . — Map (db m51906) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Northville — L1427 — Mill Race Historical Village
Side 1 In 1827, John Miller built a grist mill on this site. The structure was replaced by the Northville Mills in 1847. In 1919 mill owner Donald P. Yerkes sold the site to Henry Ford who razed the structure and built a valve factory across . . . — Map (db m68219) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — L0874 — Baker House
Henry W. Baker (1833-1920) built this Italianate style house in 1875. Born in Richmond, New York, Baker had moved to this area while still a boy. As a young man, he worked as a photographer, a merchant and a lumberman. At the age of forty-nine, he . . . — Map (db m33078) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — 637 — Plymouth
The village of Plymouth was settled in 1825, incorporated in 1867, and became a city in 1932. The Lord Mayor of Plymouth, England, came here in 1967 to celebrate the centennial of Plymouth, Michigan's incorporation as a village. He and his aides . . . — Map (db m33098) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — 18 — Rose of AberloneMichigan Legal Milestone
T.C. Sherwood, president of Plymouth National Bank, contracted in 1886 with Hiram Walker of Walkerville, Ontario for the purchase of a cow, Rose 2d of Aberlone. Both parties believed that Rose was barren and would not breed, and that mistake led to . . . — Map (db m62359) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Plymouth — The Wilcox House
This is the site of a Plymouth Landmark, the Wilcox House, built in 1903 by William Markham, inventor of the BB Gun and the co-founder of the Daisy Air Rifle Co. George and Harriet Wilcox purchased it in 1911 and here raised their three children, . . . — Map (db m33070) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Redford Township — L1826 — Redford Township School District No. 9
In 1874, Redford Township School District No. 9 bought an acre of land from Eugenius and Abigail Hodge and erected this school. Named Beech School, it served the Beech Park settlement that sprang up here adjacent to the Detroit, Lansing & Lake . . . — Map (db m86570) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — L2053 — First Congregational Church
On August 20, 1848, the Reverend James S. Kidder and nine members chartered the First Congregational Church of Wayne. Later that year, a Congregational society was formed. The two organizations worked as one body, but were separate, looking to the . . . — Map (db m79329) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — S296 — Johnson's Tavern
In 1824 George M. Johnson purchased eighty acres of land from the government and erected a log tavern at this location, a days journey from Detroit. Stephen G. Simmons bought the tavern from Johnson in 1825 and operated it until he was hanged for . . . — Map (db m79302) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Wayne — L1347 — Old Wayne Village Hall
Since 1878 the Old Wayne Village Hall has served as the center of civic affairs in Wayne. It is one of the few surviving Second Empire style buildings in Wayne County. The first meeting of the village took place on April 20, 1869. In the following . . . — Map (db m79330) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — L1578 — Cooper School
The first Cooper School, known officially as Nankin District No. 1 School, was built around 1837 on a farm owned by Gilbert Cooper at the southwest corner of present-day Ann Arbor Trail and Middlebelt Road. The Coopers were Nankin Township pioneers . . . — Map (db m33883) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — S699 — Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital
(Front): In 1839 Wayne County purchased the Black Horse Tavern, a stagecoach stop, Located here on the Chicago road, for use as a poorhouse. Early on the poorhouse accepted not only the county's indigent, but the infirm and mentally ill as . . . — Map (db m14290) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — S730 — Norwayne Subdivision
Side 1 In 1942, the National Housing Agency designed and built the Norwayne Subdivision to provide rental housing for nearby WWII defense factory workers. It cost $12 million dollars and was then the largest public housing project in the . . . — Map (db m79300) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — L0423 — Perrinsville
The village of Perrinsville was established as a small commercial center during the 1830s. Abraham and Isaac Perrin started a successful sawmill where Merriman Road now crosses the Middle Rouge. Several businesses sprang up and the community became . . . — Map (db m33774) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Westland — L1996 — Perrinsville School
Perrinsville began with a sawmill established by Abraham and Isaac Perrin around 1832. During the next century three one-room schools served area children. The first, a wooden school, was erected in 1833 on the Marcus Swift farm. A second, larger . . . — Map (db m33766) HM
Ohio (Auglaize County), New Bremen — 2-6 — The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen
The Miami & Erie Canal and New Bremen Begun in 1833, the Miami Extension linked the Miami Canal in Dayton to the Wabash & Erie Canal at Junction. Engineering difficulties, epidemics and the Panic of 1837 delayed completion of the Extension . . . — Map (db m20023) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Daniel Carroll House - c.1850
C.1850-1860, this building housed a grocery store operated by Daniel Carroll. — Map (db m26406) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Dr. Maro Johnson's House - c.1833
From 1833-1841 this property was owned by Joseph Kerr Johnson, father of John and David Johnson of the Johnson-Humrickhouse Museum and no relation to Maro Johnson. Built c.1833-1838, the house and property were purchased by Maro Johnson and John . . . — Map (db m27369) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — Dr. Maro Johnson's Office - 1842
In 1842, Maro Johnson purchased a portion of lot #2. The deed read that Johnson had to have the property paid for and a respectable building erected on it within one year. Those terms were met. The building became Dr. Johnson's office. — Map (db m27382) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Roscoe — James LeRetilley Building - 1847
James LeRetilley Sr. purchased the building in 1849, a year before his death. In 1825, he moved to Caldersburgh from Muskingum County and opened a general store. He was the first postmaster in Caldersburgh (1826). After the canal opened, LeRetilley . . . — Map (db m27381) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Orange — 17-21 — The Gooding House and Tavern / Rural Taverns in Early Ohio History
The Gooding House and Tavern Known as the "Halfway House," the Gooding House and Tavern was built by George B. Gooding halfway between the towns of Worthington and Delaware in 1827. Its location was influenced by construction of the Columbus . . . — Map (db m12824) HM
Wisconsin (Columbia County), Poynette — 178 — The Circus
Wisconsin has a unique heritage as the birthplace of circuses. More than a hundred had their beginnings in Wisconsin, with Delavan providing winter-quarters for twenty-six between 1847 and 1894. New York brothers Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie brought . . . — Map (db m41793) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), DeForest — 32 — Andreas Dahl1844-1923
Andreas Dahl came to DeForest from Valdres, Norway in 1869. For more than a decade as an itinerant photographer in southern Wisconsin, he took pictures that captured the essence of life at that time. His studio stood to the north of this site and . . . — Map (db m37005) HM
Wisconsin (Marathon County), Naugart — Pomeranian Settlement
In the 1850s, in the midst of Wisconsin's lumber boom, a large group of Germans helped settle Marathon Lincoln Counties. This unique group hailed from Pomerania, a former Prussian province in present-day northern Germany and Poland. Immigration . . . — Map (db m86955) HM
Wisconsin (Marathon County), Naugart — 552 — Pomeranian Settlement in Marathon County
In the 1850s, in the midst of Wisconsin's lumber boom, a large migration of Germans helped settle Marathon County. This group hailed from Pomerania, a former Prussian province in present-day northern Germany and Poland. Immigration continued for the . . . — Map (db m86951) HM

509 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 309
Paid Advertisement