Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2174 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1974
 
Whittier Cotton Mill and Village Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, September 10, 2005
Whittier Cotton Mill and Village Marker
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — First Baptist Church of Eufaula
Irwinton Baptist Church was constituted on June 24, 1837. The name of the town changed to Eufaula in 1843, and consequently the name of the church became Eufaula Baptist Church. The church assumed its third name in 1869 when it was changed to First . . . — Map (db m46237) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — 005-25 — Tomlinson Fort House
At this site lived Tomlinson Fort (1787-1859). A leader of the Union Party, he studied medicine and wrote a widely used book on medical practice. A captain in the War of 1812, he served in the Georgia legislature and the U.S. Congress, and on the . . . — Map (db m36134) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Scottsboro — 005-4 — John Clark House
This house, now the Du Bignon home, was once the home of John Clark, Governor of Georgia. At the age of 16, John Clark fought with his father, General Elijah Clark, distinguished Revolutionary soldier, at the decisive Battle of Kettle Creek. . . . — Map (db m13138) HM
Georgia (Banks County), Baldwin — Middle River Volunteers
This marker is a memorial to the Middle River Volunteers, March 4, 1862, who drilled on this road for service before entering Civil War. Donated by descendants of these soldiers. Dedicated 1980 Company Roster Orig Capt Wm P Brown + . . . — Map (db m41943) HM
Georgia (Barrow County), Winder — Concord Methodist Cemetery
In 1836 Byrd Betts, Pioneer Steward of the Concord Methodist Church, later to become the First Methodist Church of Winder, gave 10 acres land for the church and cemetery. Those known buried here. Susan, Wife of S. E. Beddingfield, 1829 - . . . — Map (db m17407) HM
Georgia (Barrow County), Winder — 007-4 — The Stoneman Raid Battle of King's Tanyard
Closing in on Atlanta in July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman found it "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest." To force its evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman's cavalry [US] to cut the Macon railway by which its defenders were . . . — Map (db m17307) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Adairsville — 008-28 — Federal Armies at Adairsville
May 18, 1864, The 4th, 14th & 20th Corps (Army of the Cumberland) [US] together with the 15th &16th corps (Army of the Tennessee) [US] reached Adairsville from Resaca, at noon. Sherman convinced that all of Johnston´s forces had gone to Kingston & . . . — Map (db m13235) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Adairsville — 008-27 — Johnston's Army at Adairsville
May 18, 1864. The three corps of the Confederate Army, on reaching Adairsville from Resaca, moved by two roads to Cassville. Hood´s & Polk´s corps marched S. on old U.S.41 Highway: Hardee´s corps took direct road to Kingston W. & parallel to the . . . — Map (db m13233) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Adairsville — 008-2 — Mosteller's Mills
Five miles NE on State Highway 140 - a notable plantation and manufacturing center of the 1860´s. The Federal 23rd Corps, left wing of Sherman´s forces [US] marching southward from Resaca, having crossed at Field´s Mill, Coosawattee River, enroute . . . — Map (db m13231) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Etowah
Four miles east, in the gorge of the Etowah River, are the picturesque ruins of the once flourishing town of Etowah, developed by Mark Cooper around his iron furnace and rolling mill. The furnace was built in 1844, following one built in 1837 on . . . — Map (db m56315) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-51 — Friendship Monument
The nearby marble shaft has the unique distinction of having been erected by a debtor in honor of his creditors. Losses during the panic of 1857 forced Mark A. Cooper, proprietor of the Etowah Iron Works, to offer this property for sale to satisfy a . . . — Map (db m11627) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Pierce Manning Butler Young, (1836-1896)
PMB Young was born in Spartanburg, S.C., on November 15, 1836. His parents were Dr. Robert Maxwell and Elizabeth Caroline (Jones) Young. The Young family came to Georgia in 1839. He graduated from Georgia Military Institute at Marietta in 1856; . . . — Map (db m21680) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-12B — Site of Sam Jones' Tabernacle
For 20 years, thousands came annually to this site, attracted by the magnetic personality and forceful eloquence of Sam Jones, renowned Evangelist and Christian crusader. Here he built, in 1886, at his own expense, a large open-air structure, . . . — Map (db m40571) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cassville — 008-52 — Noble Hill Rosenwald School
Noble Hill Rosenwald School, now known as Noble Hill-Wheeler Memorial Center, built in 1923 as the first standard school for Black children in Bartow County School System. The school closed in 1955 when all schools for Black Children in Bartow . . . — Map (db m13456) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cassville — Site of CassvilleNamed For Lewis Cass
County seat Cass County 1832-1861. First decision Supreme Court of Georgia, 1846. Name changed to Manassas 1861. Town burned by Sherman 1864 and never rebuilt. — Map (db m12359) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Emerson — 008-5 — Battle of AllatoonaOctober 5, 1864
Lt. Gen. John B. Hood, Army of Tenn. [CS], while enroute N. from Palmetto, Ga., sent Lt. Gen. A.P. Stewart´s Corps to destroy the State R.R. from Big Shanty to the Etowah River. Stewart seized Big Shanty and Acworth on the 3d, and French´s Div. was . . . — Map (db m13935) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — Original Hospital Site of Wayside Home
This is the site of Kingston Wayside Home, the first Confederate hospital, established in August, 1861 by the Soldier’s Aid Society and other citizens of this vicinity. More than 10,000 sick and wounded Confederate soldiers received necessary . . . — Map (db m26156) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-32 — Spring Bank
Ante-bellum plantation and residence of the Rev. Charles Wallace Howard, where he established a private school. May 18, 1864. Hardee´s A.C. [CS] moved from Adairsville to Kingston on this road enroute to Cass Station. May 19, the 4th and 14th A.C. . . . — Map (db m13195) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Kingston — 008-36 — Surrender of Confederate Troops
May 12, 1865 Brig. Gen. Wm. T. Wofford [CS] arranged with Brig. Gen. Henry M. Judah, U.S.A. for the surrender of some 3000 to 4000 Confederate soldiers, mostly Georgians, not paroled in Virginia, N. Carolina, and elsewhere. During final . . . — Map (db m13967) HM
Georgia (Ben Hill County), Fitzgerald — 009-3 — Jefferson Davis Memorial State Park
On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (178 miles NE of the Park), where he performed his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute . . . — Map (db m40378) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-20 — General Edward Dorr Tracy, Jr.-- 1833 – 1863 –-
Edward D. Tracy, Jr., was born in Macon, Georgia, on Nov. 5, 1833. His father served as Macon’s second Mayor (1826-1828), a Judge of Superior Court, and hosted General Lafayette during his visit to Macon in 1825. The younger Tracy graduated from the . . . — Map (db m25388) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Post 3 Macon
We of the American Legion honor those men who lost their lives in the Viet-Nam Conflict Aug. 5, 1964 to Aug. 15, 1973 from Bibb County, GA. * ARMY * *MARINES* *AIR FORCE* Baker, J. W. Betleyoun, G. C. Brown, . . . — Map (db m53432) HM
Georgia (Brooks County), Quitman — 014-2 — West End Cemetery
In this cemetery, during the last year of the War Between the States, a number of Confederate soldiers, 17 of them unknown, were buried. Memorial services for these soldiers were held as early as 1869. In 1871, on Memorial Day, April 26, a group of . . . — Map (db m26978) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Pembroke — Bryan County
Named for the Honorable Jonathan Bryan, Esq. 1708- 1788 Founder, Father, and Patriot of Georgia. — Map (db m14954) HM
Georgia (Bryan County), Richmond Hill — Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church
Organized in 1869, this is the oldest African-American church congregation in lower Bryan County. The first structure for the church, a Prayer House, was built in 1870 on this site near the white Presbyterian Church (Burnt Church). London Harris, a . . . — Map (db m54193) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Adabelle — 16-1 — Croatan Indian Community
In 1870 a group of Croatan Indians migrated from their homes in Robeson County North Carolina, following the turpentine industry to southeast Georgia. Eventually many of the Croatans became tenant farmers for the Adabelle Trading Company, growing . . . — Map (db m14156) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Statesboro — First District Agricultural and Mechanical School
Georgia Southern University was founded as First District A&M in 1906. Bulloch County won a bidding war with Tattnall and Emanuel counties offering cash, 300 acres of land, and utilities worth $125,500. Often referred to locally as the . . . — Map (db m108123) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — 42 E-9 — McIntosh House
Across the highway stands the inn built about 1823 by William McIntosh, half-breed chief of the Lower Creek Indians. Here on February 12, 1825, McIntosh and other chiefs signed the Second Treaty of Indian Springs, giving up their last Georgia land. . . . — Map (db m395) HM
Georgia (Butts County), Jackson — 018-2 — The Right Wing at Jackson
On the night of Nov. 17, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army [US], which had marched south from Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, reached Jackson. Hq. Department and Army of the Tennessee (the . . . — Map (db m21369) HM
Georgia (Candler County), Pulaski — Pulaski, Georgia
Side 1: Named after Polish Count Casimir Pulaski, the Town of Pulaski was established in western Bulloch County in 1900. It was a railroad town and in 1901 was included in the passenger train service from Savannah to Dublin. H. . . . — Map (db m108616) HM
Georgia (Carroll County), Villa Rica — Bank of Villa RicaCarroll County’s Oldest Financial Institution — May 4, 1899 – June 4, 1996
The Bank of Villa Rica was Carroll County’s oldest financial institution, and one of the oldest financial institutions in the State of Georgia. The bank was chartered with $15,000 of capital when it opened in 1899. This was one of the few banks that . . . — Map (db m107248) HM
Georgia (Catoosa County), Ringgold — Atlanta CampaignRinggold Gap — May 7, 1864
National Historic Site Atlanta Campaign Ringgold Gap May 7, 1864 Here, through Ringgold Gap, a Federal advance position, Sherman and his army moved forward to begin the campaign against Atlanta and the heart of the South. The Confederate . . . — Map (db m12195) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — Chestnut Grove School
The Chestnut Grove Schoolhouse was established in 1887 to meet the educational aspirations of Black children. It was built and equipped by local Black farmers. The land was donated by a Black farmer named Floyd Kenny, who could not read or write. On . . . — Map (db m56883) HM
Georgia (Clarke County), Athens — 29-4 — Old College
Built in 1806 by Jett Thomas to the specifications of college president Josiah Meigs, Old College was the first permanent building on the University of Georgia campus. Originally named Franklin College in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the building . . . — Map (db m19515) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Atlanta — 031-18 — Thames House
Res. of Wm. Thames (1796-1892) pioneer citizen of Clayton, formerly Henry, County; veteran of the War of 1812; owner of a saw & grist mill on Flint River; pastor of Tanner’s Church. Aug. 31, 1864. Troops of the Federal 23rd & 4th A. C., . . . — Map (db m36727) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), College Park — 031-35 — 14th A.C. at Shoal Creek Church
Aug. 29, 1864. The 10th Mich. reg't, in advance of Davis’ 14th A. C. [US], en route from Red Oak to Jonesboro, encountered Armstrong’s & Martin’s cav. [CS] posted at the church, where a spirited delaying action forced the 10th to withdraw. Aug. . . . — Map (db m18904) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Hampton — 031-22 — Cavalry Action at Lovejoy's Station
On the night of Nov. 15, 1864, the 3rd Cavalry Division of General Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta early that morning on its destructive March to the Sea, camped on the west bank of Flint River near Jonesboro (6 miles N). This division, . . . — Map (db m42325) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — Heritage Place1981
Historic Jonesboro, named in honor of Samuel Goode Jones in 1845, was founded in 1823 as Leaksville. Later Clayton County was created by the Act of November 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties, and Jonesboro became the County Seat. The town . . . — Map (db m18815) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — The Johnson-Blalock House
Ante-Bellum home of James F. Johnson, attorney, planter, merchant, Confederate officer and noted political figure in mid-nineteenth century Georgia. Johnson introduced the legislation which created Clayton County in 1858 and the bill which . . . — Map (db m18183) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Mountain View — 031-6 — Transfer Point
After the occupation of Atlanta by Federal forces, Sept. 2, 1864, the remaining civilians were required to register for transportation to points north or south as desired. Those electing to go south were carried, with household goods, in army . . . — Map (db m18343) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Riverdale — 031-31 — The Marcus Long Crossroads
Having cut the A. & W.P. R. R. at Red Oak, Federal forces were shifted toward the Macon R. R. to complete the isolation of Atlanta, making it untenable by the Confederate defenders. Aug. 30, 1864. Stanley’s 4th A. C. [US], moving S. from Red . . . — Map (db m59455) HM
Georgia (Clinch County), Homerville — 032-5 — First Court in Clinch County1 mi.→
About 1 mile south of here, the first Court and Election in Clinch County were held in 1850, in the home of Jonathan Knight. Pursuant to the Act creating Clinch, Commissioners appointed met in the Knight house to perfect the organization of the . . . — Map (db m14649) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Clarkdale — Clarkdale Mill Village Historic DistrictCirca 1931
The Clarkdale Thread Mill and its 96 bungalow style homes were designed by the J. E. Sirrine Company of Greenville, South Carolina, a company noted for progressive mill village planning, for the Clark Thread Company, a Scottish company with . . . — Map (db m55279) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Kennesaw — Civil War Action Around Latimer’s Farm
Nineteenth-century farmer Ruben Latimer lived a mile southwest of this spot. He, his wife Sarah, their children and eleven slaves worked a modest self-sufficient farm where they raised livestock and grew cotton, corn and other food crops. In June . . . — Map (db m17039) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Kennesaw — The General
This is the original locomotive made famous by its participation in the Andrews Raid of April 12, 1862. It was stolen by the Northern raiders who tried unsuccessfully to wreck the Confederate supply line between Atlanta, Ga., and Chattanooga, . . . — Map (db m47591) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-106 — Confederate Cemetery
3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of . . . — Map (db m17007) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-94 — Garrard’s Cavalry at Roswell
With the occupation of Marietta by Federal forces July 3, 1864, Garrard’s cav. was sent to Roswell to secure a Chattahoochee River crossing for the passage of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee, which was later shifted from the Federal right to the . . . — Map (db m50567) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-18 — Gen. J. E. Johnston’s Headquarters
Cyrus York house-site; June 10-19, 1864. Johnston’s forces [CS] moved from Paulding Co. to Kennesaw area, June 5, & occupied lines from Lost to Brushy Mtns. June 16: the left was withdrawn E. of Mud Creek. June 19: all forces shifted to mountain . . . — Map (db m17650) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Joseph Emerson Brown Park
A four-time Gov. of Ga, Joseph E. Brown (1821-1894) was born in S.C., educated at Yale, and admitted to the Ga. Bar in 1845. "The war governor," he served from 1857-1865. He served in Ga. Supreme Court and three terms in U.S. Senate. He was popular . . . — Map (db m14685) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Lady in Black
This memorial to Mary Annie Gartrell (1853-1906) was erected by her grieving sister Lucy (1863-1954). Musicians both and natives of Cobb County, Lucy visited this grave from her Atlanta home at least twice-weekly for 48 years, many times on foot. . . . — Map (db m15203) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Mary Phagan
Celebrated in song as "Little Mary Phagan" after her murder at age 13 on April 26, 1913 in Atlanta. The trial and conviction of Leo Frank were controversial, as was the commutation of his death sentence four days before Confederate Veterans marked . . . — Map (db m16571) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-4 — Old Sandtown Road
1.5 Mi. N.W. is the site of old Gilgal Primitive Baptist Ch. (at DUE WEST) -- a landmark of military operations. JUNE 5-17, 1864.S.E. along this road Cleburne’s div. of Hardee’s Corps [CS] withdrew from Gilgal to old Marietta Rd. S. . . . — Map (db m17682) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-59 — Powder Springs RoadJune - July, 1864
Old Zion Church stood 150 ft. E. Confederate trenches crossed rd. in N. S. direction -- the left of Johnston’s Kennesaw line, occupied by Hood’s A. C., [CS] June 21, when it was shifted to their sector from E. of Kennesaw Mtn. Hood’s corps deployed . . . — Map (db m19670) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — S. V. Sanford
The greatest friend Univ. of Ga. ever had" began his academic career in Marietta: principal, Supt. City Schools 1892-1903. At Georgia (1903-1945) promoted academics and sports: Faculty chrm. athletics from 1908; first head School of Journalism in . . . — Map (db m17028) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — Slave Lot
The only slave burial ground in any major white Georgia cemetery. Here 19 Christian slaves and freed persons of Marietta Christians were buried in unmarked graves ca. 1848-1866. Only four have been positively named, servants of Mrs. Eliza G. . . . — Map (db m15188) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-92 — The 23D Corps at Soap Creek
July 8, 1864. The first passage of the Chattahoochee River by Federal forces was made at mouth of Soap Creek by Cox’s division, 23d A.C. [US]. Cameron’s brigade crossed creek at the dam and passing the blackened ruins of the Paper Mills, scaled the . . . — Map (db m53532) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Marietta — 033-89 — The River Patrol & Cochran’s Ford
Pending Federal crossings of the Chattahoochee, Gen. E. M. McCook's cav. div. [US] screened 4th and 23d Corps movements to fords and ferries in this vicinity, July 6, 15, 1864. July 7, Brownlow's 1st Tennessee reg't., Dorr’s brigade (McCook's cav.) . . . — Map (db m16779) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Smyrna — Mazie Whitfield NelsonJan. 1, 1890 - Feb. 2, 1977
Marker Front: From her birth home just across the railroad track on Gilbert Street, Mazie Whitfield Nelson watched the growth of downtown Smyrna from a village of less than 400 when she was born on New Year’s Day in 1890, to a community of . . . — Map (db m17089) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Smyrna — 033-78 — The Alexander Eaton House: Hood’s H'dq'rs.
S. on this rd., .8 mi. stands the ante-bellum residence of Alexander Eaton (1809-1905). July 3, 4, 5, 1864, the intrenched lines of Gen. John B. Hood’s A.C. [CS] extended along the rd. from the Gann Cem. to site of Cooper’s Lake. The Eaton house, . . . — Map (db m29693) HM
Georgia (Cobb County), Vinings — 033-87 — The 4th Corps Posted Along the River
When the 4th A.C. reached the Chattahoochee July 5, attempts to cross were found impracticable because of Confederate opposition on the other side. Pending the crossing of the 23d A.C. at Soap Cr., July 8, the 4th A.C. marked time in trenches . . . — Map (db m23191) HM
Georgia (Cook County), Adel — 037-1 — Cook County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature July 30, 1918, is named for Gen. Philip Cook who fought in the States and Seminole Wars. He served in Congress from 1872 to '82, was Secretary of State for Georgia 1890-94 and 1898-1918. He served as . . . — Map (db m40446) HM
Georgia (Coweta County), Newnan — 038-5 — Confederate Dead
Here are buried 268 Confederate soldiers, most of whom died of wounds or disease in the several Confederate hospitals located in Newnan. Some were killed in the battle fought south of here, July 30, 1864. Due to the efficiency of the local . . . — Map (db m32133) HM
Georgia (Crawford County), Roberta — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1774 William Bartram passed through what is now Roberta, after camping at Sweetwater and finding a new hydrangea. — Map (db m12265) HM
Georgia (Crisp County), Cordele — 040-5 — Georgia Veterans Memorial State ParkCamp Safety Patrol
Here begins “Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park.” This 1,200 acre tract of land was purchased by Crisp County Commissioners and given to the State of Georgia December 4, 1946 in grateful appreciation of, and as a living memorial to the . . . — Map (db m35041) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — Charles James Munnerlyn / “Refuge” 1822 ~ 1898
(Side 1): Charles James Munnerlyn 1822 ~ 1898 As a delegate to the Georgia Convention at Milledgeville, he voted for secession. After the start of the Civil War, he volunteered as a private. When his health failed he returned home . . . — Map (db m55947) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 043-4 — Decatur County
Decatur County was created by Act of Dec. 8, 1823 from Early County. Sessions were cut off later to form part of Seminole and Grady Counties. It was named for Stephen Decatur (1779-1820), naval officer who served with great gallantry at Tripoli and . . . — Map (db m39417) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute / Union Normal School
First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute In 1876, the First Flint River Missionary Baptist Association was formed to help “lift the veil of ignorance from its people” using land purchased in 1896 and 1915. The Association . . . — Map (db m40946) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — First United Methodist Church
Founded in 1823, title to this property was conveyed to the church in 1830 by the Inferior Court, Bainbridge. An initial building was erected about 1840 and was also used during the 1850’s for services by Baptists and Presbyterians. In 1854 an . . . — Map (db m55804) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 043-5 — Fort Scott<-------<<<
In June 1816 Lt. Col. D. L. Clinch and a detachment of the 4th U.S. Infantry set up camp one mile west of here, calling it Camp Crawford. They began construction of a fort on the site in September 1816, naming it Fort Scott. Need for a fort was . . . — Map (db m55511) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The Bainbridge Volunteers
The Bainbridge Volunteers Later The Bainbridge Independents Organized 1859, by Captain Charles G. Campbell, assembled here in March 1861 and entered service under the command of Captain John W. Evans . . . — Map (db m57419) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Atlanta — Brookhaven Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
Historic Brookhaven is the first planned golf club community in Georgia, having been built around the Capital City Country Club between 1910 and 1940. — Map (db m14356) HM
Georgia (DeKalb County), Chamblee — 044-92 — 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959
Anticipating America´s involvement in a second world war, the government returned to the site of Camp Gordon in October 1940 and over the next seven months constructed a 400-acre Naval Reserve Aviation Base at the DeKalb County Airport. . . . — Map (db m14571) HM
Georgia (Dougherty County), Albany — 047-4 — Colonel Nelson Tift
Nelson Tift, founder of the City of Albany, was born at Groton, Conn., July 23, 1810. In 1833 he established a mercantile business in Augusta, Georgia. After a sojourn in Hawkinsville he moved to Albany, then in Baker County, in 1836. . . . — Map (db m40796) HM
Georgia (Effingham County), Springfield — Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground1790
Effingham Camp Meeting has the longest record of continuous service in South Georgia - from 1790 according to oral tradition. The first camp ground was off Sister’s Ferry Road on land of George Powledge, later sold to Gideon Mallette. In 1864 this . . . — Map (db m14592) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — 052--10 — Coldwater Methodist Church
In the late 1770’s, a large caravan of Virginians, including a Methodist preacher, traveling south in search of a new home, settled in this neighborhood. In the company were the Adams, Alexander, Banks, Cunningham, Fleming, Anderson, Gaines, . . . — Map (db m37363) HM
Georgia (Fannin County), Blue Ridge — 55-02 — William Clayton Fain: Georgia Unionist
One of the leading Unionists in the state during the Civil War, William Clayton Fain was born in Georgia in 1825. A Fannin County lawyer and state representative, he served in the 1861 Secession Convention, where he opposed Georgia leaving the . . . — Map (db m60234) HM
Georgia (Fayette County), Senoia — 56-2 — Starr's Mill
The property that became Starr’s Mill was owned by Hananiah Gilcoat who built the first mill here before his death in 1825. This site, on Whitewater Creek, was less than a mile from the boundary between Creek Indian lands and the State of Georgia. . . . — Map (db m10073) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Armuchee — 057-13 — Site of Mountain School
Everett Springs Seminary, antecedent of the famous Martha Berry Schools, was chartered in 1889 in Floyd County. The school, which was in existence until 1908, was the first mountain school in Georgia which had boarding facilities for its students. . . . — Map (db m31361) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — Major Ridge
Principal Chief of the Cherokee Tribe of Indians, moved to this spot about 1794 and built this dwelling. Modernized by later owners. His ferry & trading post made this farm a tribal center. Here was negotiated final treaty for the Cherokee . . . — Map (db m15071) HM
Georgia (Forsyth County), Coal Mountain — 058-1 — Old Federal Road<------->
The highway crossing east and west at this intersection is the Old Federal Road, first vehicular way and earliest postal route west of the Chattahoochee. Beginning to the east on the Hall-Jackson county line, it linked Georgia and Tennessee across . . . — Map (db m21287) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Lavonia — Shoal Creek
Shoal Creek consolidated school was created in 1924. Grades one through nine were taught in a new brick building completed in 1925. It replaced Thomasville, Old Shoal Creek, and Parkertown Schools. Additional pupils came from Viola and Rock Springs. . . . — Map (db m45183) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 16 — Alpharetta Business District
One South Main Street housed a general merchandise store operated by J.A. Oliver until 1920. Later it became Jones Grocery, Lively Grocery and Talmage Burgess Grocery. In the mid 1950s, Phillips Variety Store opened. Three South Main Street has . . . — Map (db m57394) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Alpharetta — 4 — Norman House1910
The house is a Queen Anne-style cottage and was built of brick and wood for $1,500. A six-room home with heart pine flooring, plate glass windows, a fireplace in every room and a large porch. The house survives as originally built and includes . . . — Map (db m56104) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-58 — 33d N.J. State Flag
July 20, 1864. To this high ground, 500 yds. in front of Geary’s div. (20th A.C.) [US] on Collier Rd., the 33d N.J. regt., Jones’ brigade, was sent to establish & support a battery position. The regiment had scarcely reached this hill when, in a . . . — Map (db m16407) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 60-101 — Baker's Brigade
July 22, 1864. Baker`s Alabama brigade (Col. J.H. Higley comdg.), Clayton`s div., Cheatham`s A.C., [CSA} was diverted N.E. in Clayton`s attack on the 15th A.C. eastward, thus forming the extreme left of the line extending S. to Glenwood Ave. . . . — Map (db m10105) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Brig. Gen. A. M. Manigault’s Brigade
On July 22, 1864, Brig. Gen. A. M. Manigault’s Brigade, Hindman’s Div., Cheatham’s Corps, advancing eastward from the Atlanta fortifications against the Federal 15th Corps posted at DeGress Ave., halted in this ravine to reform their line, . . . — Map (db m36102) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-36 — Coburn's Brigade
Four regiments ~ 33d & 85th Ind., 19th Mich. & 22d Wis. ~ Col. John Coburn’s brigade, Ward’s 3d div., 20th A.C., were posted in this sector ~ the 22d Wis. on the ridge as skirmishers, the other three in the ravine N. of the road. The left of . . . — Map (db m16382) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-172 — Fort McPherson
Named for Maj. Gen. James Birdseye McPherson, U. S. Vol., the Union Commander of the Army of Tenn. during the Battle of Atlanta, this area was used as a state militia drill ground as early as 1835. It housed several temporary Confederate and Union . . . — Map (db m16964) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-41 — Geary’s Division
July 20, 1864. Gen. J. W. Geary’s 2d div., 20th A.C. [US] occupied this ridge which was some 300 yds. in advance of Williams’ 1st div. on his rt., & Ward’s 3d, on his left -- all facing southward. His three brigades: Candy’s, Jones’ & . . . — Map (db m41096) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-197 — James J. Andrews
James J. Andrews, leader of the Andrews Raiders, was executed a few feet southeast on June 7, 1862. Andrews a native of Hancock County, now West Virginia, was a civilian spy for the Union Army who led 20 Union soldiers and another civilian to Big . . . — Map (db m30504) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-69 — Loring’s Hill
July 20, 1864. The high hill, within the forks of Tanyard Branch, was occupied by troops of Maj. Gen. W.W. Loring’s div. of Stewart’s A.C. [CS]. From this hill & a sector W. of it, Scott’s & Featherston's brigades, of Loring’s division, . . . — Map (db m29289) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-45 — O’Neal’s Brigade at the Ravine
July 20, 1864. Not until O’Neal’s Alabama & Mississippi troops [CS] plunged down the wooded slope from Collier Rd., did the formation of Geary’s [US] refused line & the re-entrant angle created thereby, become apparent to them. Geary’s right . . . — Map (db m29414) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-42 — On Geary's Front
In 1864, Collier Rd. topped the ridge N. Descending the slope E. it crossed the branch below the dam at Collier’s Mill. Geary’s left – Candy’s brigade & Aleshire’s batteries [US] - were aligned along the old road facing south. The 33d N.J. . . . — Map (db m16532) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-138 — The Errant Line
July 28, 1864. Anticipating a Confederate attack on the Right of the 15th A. C. [US], aligned W. of Ezra Ch., Sherman sent Davis’ div. (14th A. C.), on a circuitous march W., so as to come in on Logan’s Rt. via Lick Skillet (Adamsville) Road. . . . — Map (db m50624) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — The Sandy Springs
This community is named for the natural springs bubbling up through clear white sand in the meadow below. The Springs were a Cherokee and Creek Indian campsite which became the property of the orphans of John Medows of Henry County in the 1821 Land . . . — Map (db m9544) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 060-163 — The Siege Lifted
Aug. 26, 1864. After 35 days of futile siege operations, the Federals withdrew from their lines north & west of Atlanta & by a wide flanking march, moved against the two railroads entering the city from the southwest. The 15th, 16th, & 17th corps, . . . — Map (db m36141) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — 60-6 — Whittier Cotton Mill and Village
Whittier Cotton Mills of Lowell, Massachusetts opened a new Atlanta factory on this site in 1896. Development of the mill complex included the construction of Whittier Mill Village, a mill-centered residential community for workers and their . . . — Map (db m8969) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — 29 I-B — Palmetto
Palmetto was named by a member of the Palmetto Guards, a Regiment from South Carolina enroute to the Mexican War. This was in appreciation of the hospitality shown them by the community while encamped here in January, 1847 — Map (db m26267) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-122 — Roswell Presbyterian Church
In 1839, 15 Presbyterian men and women, 'members of the colony' of Roswell, invited the Rev. Nathaniel A. Pratt, D.D., of Darien, to organize the first Presbyterian church of Roswell. These charter members included the Bulloch, Dunwody, Hand, King, . . . — Map (db m9174) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Sandy Springs — 060-11 — Hascall’s Div. Camped
Brig. Gen. Milo Hascall’s (2d) div., 23d A. C., having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Isom’s Ferry (mouth of Soap Cr.), July 8, 1864, reached this point, evening July 17. This date marked the initial Federal moves upon Atlanta. Hascall’s march . . . — Map (db m17861) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — 063-7 — Retreat Plantation
In 1804 William Page purchased land on St. Simons Sound and named it Retreat. With later purchases, Retreat became one of the preeminent plantations on St. Simons Island for the production of long-staple cotton. In 1827 the Pages' only child, Anna . . . — Map (db m11273) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Calhoun — 064-29 — New EchotaCherokee National Capital
The sprawling town of New Town which had stood here since 1819 was designated the seat Of government for the Cherokee Nation in a legislative act of 1825 and it was renamed New Echota for a former principal town in Tennessee. In its short history . . . — Map (db m67572) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — Atlanta CampaignResaca — May 13-15, 1864
National Historic Site Atlanta Campaign Resaca May 13-15, 1864 In this vicinity the Confederate lines North and West of Resaca held firm against Federal attack. Sherman then executed a successful flank movement to the west and . . . — Map (db m44790) HM
Georgia (Gordon County), Resaca — 064-9 — Battle of Resaca
May 13, 1864, McPherson's 15th and 16th A.C. (US) moving from Snake Creek Gap reached this cross-roads where his forces were deployed for advance toward Camp Cr. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick's Cav. Div. (US) led advance; during a sharp engagement he was . . . — Map (db m11552) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-1 — Greene County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 3, 1786, is named for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene, the strategist who ranked second only to Gen. Washington. Born in Rhode Island in 1742, he died at his Georgia plantation in 1786. Seven miles . . . — Map (db m42718) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-5 — Old Greene County "Gaol"<------<<<<
The old rock jail in the rear of the Court House is patterned after the bastilles where prisoners were housed and punished a hundred or more years ago. Built of granite about two feet thick, it is two stories in height and has a trap door in the . . . — Map (db m15807) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Greensboro — 066-12 — The Burning of Greensborough
During the early years of its settlement, Greensborough and Greene County suffered greatly from depredations committed by Indians who occupied the West bank of the Oconee River about eight miles from here. Most tragic of these was the destruction of . . . — Map (db m38892) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-1 — Button Gwinnett
Button Gwinnett, for whom this county was named, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1735, the son of a Church of England minister. He worked in the store of his father-in-law in Dexter for two years, then as an importer and exporter for three . . . — Map (db m84791) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-5 — Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co.<------<<<<
On the site of the Habersham Cotton Mills stood the Habersham Iron Works and Manufacturing Co., incorporated in late 1837 when this section of the state was Indian country. Jarvis Van Buren, a cousin of President Martin Van Buren and a pioneer . . . — Map (db m15310) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-2 — Old Eagle Tavern
The Eagle Tavern, built in the late 18th century, once stood on the site of the present Lafayette Hotel. A stage coach stop on the Augusta to Macon line, the tavern owned by a Mr. A. Abercrombie was the scene of a great ball held for the Marquis de . . . — Map (db m24334) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), White Plains — 70-1 — Camilla and Zack Hubert Homesite
Zack Hubert, a former Warren County slave, moved here with his family in 1871. The Huberts were among the first African-American landowners in central Georgia and played influential roles in the area´s African-American community. They named their . . . — Map (db m49413) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Pine Mountain — Chipley - Pine Mountain, Georgia
Chipley was incorporated on December 9, 1882, following the extension of the Columbus and Rome Railroad one mile north of the Village of Hood. Old Hood was the predecessor of Chipley. Chipley was named after Colonel W. D. Chipley, a partner in the . . . — Map (db m59012) HM
Georgia (Harris County), Whitesville — Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South
(Side 1): The Methodist church in Whitesville had its origins about 1828 in meetings held at the home of Reuben Mobley. The First Methodist Church was founded in the early 1830s and by 1837 the decision was made to erect a church for the . . . — Map (db m22898) HM
Georgia (Henry County), Locust Grove — 075-6 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 17, 1864, the right wing of Gen. Sherman’s Army [US] marched from McDonough to Jackson, enroute to Planter’s Factory on the Ocmulgee River, where it was to cross into Jasper County the next day. At this point, Woods’ and Hazen’s divisions of . . . — Map (db m21325) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — 075-1 — Henry County
This County, created by Acts of the Legislature May 15 & December 24, 1821, is named for Patrick Henry, Revolutionary patriot, orator and statesman, largely responsible for the Bill of Rights and known best for his words “Give me liberty or . . . — Map (db m21340) HM
Georgia (Houston County), Perry — Perry United Methodist Church-1826 -
Organized as part of the South Carolina Conference in 1826, this church by 1830 was head of the Perry Circuit in the newly formed Georgia Conference and after 1866 in the South Georgia Conference. By 1922 Perry had become a station church. Its . . . — Map (db m23091) HM
Georgia (Irwin County), Ocilla — 077-1A — Irwin County
This County, created by Acts of the Legislature December 15, 1818 and December 21, 1819, is named for Gov. Jared Irwin who served from 1806 to ‘09. He helped revised the State Constitution in 1789 and ‘98 and was famed for his uncompromising . . . — Map (db m40578) HM
Georgia (Jackson County), Jefferson — Builder of the Nation
This steam locomotive was presented to the City of Jefferson in 1959 by the Seaboard Air Line Railroad Company as a permanent exhibit in memory of the important service engines of this type gave to the nation. It was one of the last steam-powered . . . — Map (db m24720) HM
Georgia (Jasper County), Newborn — The Old Loyd Place
Gifted to the University of Georgia College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences by Robert J. Loyd. Mr. Loyd died on December 31, 1998. Because of his love of this land and wish to honor his ancestors, it was Mr. Loyd's desire to gift this farm . . . — Map (db m12259) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Grange — 081-4 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 27, 1864, Baird’s and Morgan’s divisions, 14th Corps [US], moving on the left of Gen. Sherman’s army from Sandersville to Louisville, crossed Ogeechee River at Fenn’s Bridge. Baird turned SE on the lower road and camped near the Wilkins . . . — Map (db m37749) HM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Stapleton — 081-12 — Sylvan Grove
Late on Nov. 26, 1864, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division [US], which was covering the left of Gen. Sherman’s army on its March to the Sea, camped at Sylvan Grove. Murray’s brigade covered the rear. At 2:00 A.M., the outpost (8th Indiana Cavalry) was . . . — Map (db m43490) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — LaFayette
On March 25, 1825 LaFayette Paused Here and Made an Address — Map (db m25188) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Gray — 084-5 — Jones County
This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 10, 1807, is named for James Jones of Savannah, a legislator at 23 and member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1798 in which year he was elected to Congress. The first County Site was at . . . — Map (db m26024) HM
Georgia (Lamar County), Barnesville — 85-1 — Roosevelt’s Barnesville Speech
On August 11, 1938, as many as 50,000 people gathered in the stadium of Gordon Military College for an address by President Franklin Roosevelt dedicating the Lamar Electric Cooperative, a project of the New Deal's Rural Electrification . . . — Map (db m28214) HM
Georgia (Lamar County), Milner — 085-6 — Confederate Hospital>>>------>
On this side stood one of Milner’s temporary hospitals for Confederate soldiers wounded in the Battles of Atlanta and Jonesboro in 1864. These men were hastily evacuated south on the only railroad from Atlanta still operated by the C.S.A. at that . . . — Map (db m25345) HM
Georgia (Laurens County), Dublin — 087-2 — Laurens County
Laurens County was created by Act of Dec. 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Originally, it contained all of Pulaski and part of Johnson Counties. Among prominent residents of Laurens County were Gov. Geo. M. Troup and Gen. David Blackshear. It was . . . — Map (db m49538) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), McIntosh — Union Brotherhood Society
(Front text) William Mckinley Walthour, Sr. founded the Union Brotherhood Society or "The Society" in March 1932 to help provide for a proper burial of Negro citizens. During this period of segregation and Jim Crow Laws, Negroes were . . . — Map (db m9491) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1775 took William Bartram to Fort James on the "Petersburg Road" and passed through Lincoln County, parts now covered by Clark Hill Reservoir — Map (db m11509) HM
Georgia (Lowndes County), Valdosta — Troop Encampment Site
Company “G” One Hundred Third, Regiment of U.S. Colored Infantry, camped on this corner in January and February of 1866. — Map (db m27728) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — 093-1 — Calhoun Gold Mine<--- 1 Mi ---<<<<
Famous Calhoun Gold Mine where it is said vein gold was first discovered in Georgia by white men. In 1828 while deer hunting Benjamin Parks, of Dahlonega, accidentally found quartz gold in pockets or lodes. His find was so rich in gold that it . . . — Map (db m30654) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — 093-3 — Trahlyta’s Grave
This pile of stones marks the grave of a Cherokee princess, Trahlyta. According to legend her tribe, living on Cedar Mountain north of here, knew the secret of the magic springs of eternal youth from the Witch of Cedar Mountain. Trahlyta, . . . — Map (db m9451) HM
Georgia (Madison County), Danielsville — 97-1 — Lt. Col. Lemuel Penn and the Civil Rights Act
On the night of July 11, 1964 three African-American World War II veterans returning home following training at Ft. Benning, Georgia were noticed in Athens by local members of the Ku Klux Klan. The officers were followed to the nearby Broad River . . . — Map (db m29857) HM
Georgia (Marion County), Buena Vista — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1774 William Bartram trekked Old Federal Road through Fort Perry, going on to camp at Pintchlucco (Pine Knot Creek). — Map (db m11384) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 95-5 — Ashantilly
Built ca. 1820, Ashantilly was the mainland residence of prominent antebellum planter Thomas Spalding (1774-1851), owner of the nearby Sapelo Island Plantation. The house, likely built by Spalding's slaves, was constructed of tabby, an equal mix of . . . — Map (db m24134) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Alvaton — 99-1 — Carmel Historic District
Settlement of Carmel community began with the creation of Meriwether County in 1827. Early families-- Caldwell, Burton, Campson, Gray, Reynolds, Williams, Pope, and Glass--came from Edgefield District, South Carolina. They established Carmel . . . — Map (db m11680) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Durand — Trinity United Methodist ChurchDurand, Georgia
In 1854, Harmony Church near the Ogletree cemetery, Liberty Church close by the old Campbell place, and Providence Church from the Strickland neighborhood, all came together, after twenty-two years of sharing camp meeting worship, to form Trinity . . . — Map (db m107237) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Gay — 099-1 — Noted Indian Trail
The road from the east is a remnant of the Oakfuskee Path, main stem of the noted upper trading route from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians of Georgia and Alabama Beginning at present Augusta, it led this way via Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin, . . . — Map (db m42161) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 99-3 — Georgia Warm Springs Foundation
These gates mark the original entrance to the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, established in July 1927 by Franklin D. Roosevelt and Basil O’Connor for the treatment of polio victims. Roosevelt himself suffered from polio beginning in 1921. Learning . . . — Map (db m21442) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 099-6 — Longleaf Pine Planting
In the early years of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s sojourn in Meriwether County, he observed that no great effort was made to replace trees on cut-over or burnt areas not suitable for agriculture. As a demonstration of replacement, together with . . . — Map (db m22162) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Culloden — 102-5 — Battle of Culloden
On April 19, 1865, a part of Wilson`s Federal Raiders, moving toward Macon, encountered the "Worrill Grays" near this spot. The "Grays," numbering less than 200 men, fought a magnificent battle, greatly outnumbered. After a two-hour battle they . . . — Map (db m9930) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Dames Ferry — 102-9 — Dames Ferry
In 1808, widow Mary Green Dame and her six children settled in Jones County. Two sons, George and John, builders by trade, built a house on the east side of the Ocmulgee River. Zachariah Booth owned and operated the first ferry here. It was . . . — Map (db m10087) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Bethany
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Bethany The community of Bethany, anchored by the Bethany Baptist Church, appears on maps after 1915. A church congregation was . . . — Map (db m19872) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Brownwood-Centennial
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Brownwood-Centennial Located close to one another on the Old Sandtown Road, the communities of Brownwood and Centennial may have . . . — Map (db m20483) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Pennington
On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of Pennington The Pennington Community was named for the Pennington family who first acquired land from ceded Native American . . . — Map (db m16246) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — Reconstruction Property Rights
Georgia's General Assembly of 1865-1866 passed important property rights laws for its black population, most of whom had recently been emancipated. Blacks could legally buy, sell, inherit, and lease both land and personal property. The experience of . . . — Map (db m20833) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — The Town Park
Town Park reflects the foresight, leadership and hard work of so many -- a true public-private partnership. Revitalization plans and Bicentennial celebration efforts converged in 2000 upon the idea of reestablishing a downtown greenspace. By . . . — Map (db m49738) HM
Georgia (Morgan County), Madison — The Town Spring
Civil Engineer R.B. Tufts noted on the 1897 Morgan County map that "The Public Spring . . . which for all these years has been sending forth a bold, steady stream of pure, cold water, was the cause of establishing the Court House and the public . . . — Map (db m20844) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — “The Folly”
A dwelling has existed at 527 First Avenue since 1831 when Alfred Iverson wed Julia Forsyth, daughter of Georgia Governor John Forsyth. Elected to Congress in 1846, Iverson served in the Senate until Georgia seceded from the Union. Two sons served . . . — Map (db m22408) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Alma Woodsey Thomas
Side 1: Alma Thomas, nationally known African-American artist, was the eldest of four daughters born to John Maurice Thomas and Amelia Whitaker Cantey. Highly cultured and socially involved, the Thomas family owned this Victorian home . . . — Map (db m58269) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — 106-13 — Columbus Iron Works»—→
Established 1853, was operated by the Confederate government as Naval Iron Works, making cannon, other war munitions, and two gun boats. This plant was credited with making the first breech-loading cannon. At south end of Dillingham Street . . . — Map (db m43729) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — High Uptown Historic District / Garrett-Bullock-Delay House
High Uptown Historic District This area, known as “High Uptown,” contains historic residential structures that were built by affluent business and community leaders of the 19th and early 20th centuries. These homes are . . . — Map (db m44465) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — 106-7 — Martin J. Crawford(1820-1883)
On the adjoining lot stood the large columned home of Martin Jenkins Crawford, Lawyer, Member of the General Assembly of Georgia, twice Judge of the Superior Court of the Chattahoochee Circuit, Member United States Congress, and of the provisional . . . — Map (db m43079) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Philip Thomas Schley
This house was built circa 1840 on the present site of First Presbyterian Church, by Philip Thomas Schley. Capt. Schley came to Columbus in 1834 at the request of his brother, Georgia Gov. William Schley, to command the Muscogee Blues, a militia . . . — Map (db m43940) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — 106-22 — Red Jacket
Red Jacket, a small brass cannon, was first used in firing a salute of 500 guns when Georgia seceded from the Union. In custody of the Columbus Guards, it fired salutes at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis as President of the Confederate States of . . . — Map (db m46948) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Samuel Cooper1754-1841 — Soldier –- American Revolution
Born in Maryland, Cooper served in the South Carolina Militia during the American Revolution and participated in battles at Brandywine, Germantown and Stony Point. After the War he moved to Putnam County, Georgia and later to Muscogee County where . . . — Map (db m17811) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — The Ledger-Enquirer Newspapers
The Columbus Enquirer and The Columbus Ledger have been published from this site since 1930. The Enquirer was founded in 1828 by Mirabeau Bounaparte Lamar, later the second president of the Republic of Texas. The Ledger was founded in 1886 by Edward . . . — Map (db m22873) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Walker – Peters – Langdon House
Moveable, prefabricated houses similar to this Federal Cottage were available for purchase by settlers participating in the Land Lot Sale of 1828. Original owner, Colonel Virgil Walker of Harris County, transferred the lot and “all . . . — Map (db m22673) HM
Georgia (Pulaski County), Hawkinsville — 27 A-6 — Slosheye Trail
Slosheye Trail was used by the Indians and white traders as an artery of travel as early as 1750 and extended from Hawkinsville on the Ocmulgee River to Drayton on the Flint River. This ancient trail passed through Hawkinsville over the present . . . — Map (db m40328) HM
Georgia (Putnam County), Eatonton — 117-1 — Mrs. Beall's Mill
Allen A. Beall's death in 1861 left his wife, Caroline Davis Beall, with 7 minor children and a 1500-acre corn and cotton plantation. This remarkable woman completed construction of and began operating a grist mill at this site on Crooked Creek in . . . — Map (db m15158) HM
Georgia (Putnam County), Eatonton — 117-3 — Rockville School
This school, built in 1889 consolidated in 1890 and graded in 1892, is said to have been the first Consolidated rural school in Georgia, also the first Standard rural school and the first Vocational rural school in the State. The first Trustees . . . — Map (db m14188) HM
Georgia (Putnam County), Eatonton — Uncle Remus Museum
This memorial to Joel Chandler Harris, born in Eatonton Dec. 9, 1848, was constructed from three slave cabins found in Putnam County. Uncle Remus Museum, Inc., a local non-profit organization of dedicated citizens established and has maintained its . . . — Map (db m25356) HM
Georgia (Randolph County), Cuthbert — 120-10 — Confederate Dead and Hospitals
Twenty-four Confederate soldiers are buried here. These men, veterans of many hard fought battles, died in the Confederate hospitals located here, 1863-1865. They were the Hood, Hill, Lumpkin, and several temporary ones. Among the gallant . . . — Map (db m46423) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Great Indian Trading Path
The colonial Great Indian Trading Path crossed land now a part of Augusta College and followed a part of the present McDowell Street. It was variously called Trading Road, Augusta Road, and the Creek Indian Path. Early platts show it on land owned . . . — Map (db m10008) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Sylvania — 124-20 — Battle of Brier Creek - Mar. 3, 1779
In early February, 1779, the Southern Armies of the United States and Great Britain were facing across the Savannah River on a battle line reaching from Savannah to the Broad River above Augusta. The British controlled Georgia and the Americans . . . — Map (db m11212) HM
Georgia (Spalding County), Griffin — 126-19 — Confederate Camp
Confederate Infantry Camp Stephens was named for Alexander H. Stephens, vice-president of the Confederacy. Nearly all troops in the Confederate Army from Georgia were mobilized here and at Cavalry Camp Milner, located at the present Griffin . . . — Map (db m27503) HM
Georgia (Spalding County), Griffin — 126-5 — Confederate Camp Milner
Most Georgia troops for the Confederate Army were mobilized in Griffin. Camp Milner, the Cavalry Camp, was named for Ben Milner, prominent Spalding County man who gave financial aid in equipping companies from his county. Camp Stephens, the Infantry . . . — Map (db m27510) HM
Georgia (Stewart County), Lumpkin — Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church / Green Grove Schoolhouse
Side 1: Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church This church served as the focus for the religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th . . . — Map (db m23459) HM
Georgia (Stewart County), Richland — 128-5 — Providence Chapel
The first Christian Church in Georgia was constituted at this site in 1837. Services were held early in the 1830's by Rev. George Lynch Smith, first under a brush arbor and later in the log schoolhouse. This building, then two-story, was erected in . . . — Map (db m12802) HM
Georgia (Talbot County), Talbotton — 130-8 — Straus Home Site←— 1 bl. —«
After leaving Bavaria, Lazarus Straus dispensed his merchandise over several states searching for home for his family. In 1854, he, his wife, and four children settled in a comfortable house one block from here. An expert merchant and a learned man, . . . — Map (db m27342) HM
Georgia (Terrell County), Dawson — 135-5 — Old Herod Town
On this site stood Herod Town, one of the last Indian villages in this section to remain after the coming of the white man. According to longstanding local tradition, when General Andrew Jackson and his troops came through here on the way to Florida . . . — Map (db m27017) HM
Georgia (Towns County), Hiawassee — 139-2 — Towns County
Towns County was created by Act of March 6, 1856 from Rabun and Union Counties. It was named for George Washington Towns, Governor of Georgia from 1847~1851. Gov. Towns was born in Wilkes County, May 4, 1801, of a Virginia family. Self-educated, he . . . — Map (db m37370) HM
Georgia (Troup County), LaGrange — 141-15 — Dr. Ulrich Bonnell PhillipsNoted Georgia Historian
Dr. Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, historian, author, and teacher, was born Nov. 4, 1877, in or near LaGrange. He graduated from the University of Georgia and Columbia University, earning his Ph.D. from Columbia in 1902. His Ph.D. dissertation, Georgia . . . — Map (db m22159) HM
Georgia (Troup County), LaGrange — George Michael Troup
George Michael Troup was born September 8, 1780 and died April 26, 1856. During Troup's tenure as Governor of Georgia (1823-1827), Troup County was created on December 16, 1826. Boundaries of original Troup County extended from the Flint River on . . . — Map (db m11684) HM
Georgia (Troup County), LaGrange — 141-6 — LaGrange College – 1831
LaGrange College is the oldest non-tax supported institution of higher education in Georgia. It was chartered in 1831 as LaGrange Female Academy. The charter has been changed three times as the trustees altered the name to LaGrange Female Institute . . . — Map (db m37013) HM
Georgia (Troup County), West Point — More Enduring Than Marble
East Face of Monument: More enduring than marble shall be the memory of the Confederate patriot in whose life fidelity to principle found loftiest expression. West Face of Monument: A tribute of love from the women of . . . — Map (db m59030) HM
Georgia (Twiggs County), Dry Branch — 143-6 — Stone Creek Baptist Church - 1808
Constituted September 3, 1808, this Church was first located two miles from here on a rocky hill overlooking Stone Creek, a tributary of the Ocmulgee. In 1842 the meetings were moved to an Academy at this site and in 1850 the members and community . . . — Map (db m12299) HM
Georgia (Upson County), Thomaston — 145-3 — Confederate Dead
Here rest 34 Confederate soldiers, all of whom died in the Confederate hospitals located in Thomaston. These men came from seven of the Confederate states. Only six are “unknown” graves. Hospitals located here were the Newsom, Frank . . . — Map (db m37456) HM
Georgia (Walton County), Good Hope — Moina Michael
Birthplace of Moina Michael “The Poppy Lady” 1869 – 1944 Originator of War Memorial Emblem The Flanders Field Poppy Buried in City Cemetery Monroe, Georgia — Map (db m49395) HM
Georgia (Ware County), Waycross — 148-6 — The Wildes Massacre
Here, on a Sunday morning in July, 1832, seven members of the Wildes Settlement were murdered by an Indian raiding party from the Okefenokee Swamp. Six of the victims were of the Wildes family, one was a 12-year-old girl of the Wilkinsons. Five . . . — Map (db m53057) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Oconee — 158-11 — Ball's Ferry
On Nov. 23, 1864, Maj. Gen. H. C. Wayne, Adj. Gen. of Georgia, was in Oconee (No. 14, CRR), 10 miles N. with a mixed force [Confederate] of 1200 men and 6 guns (including the Corps of Cadets, Georgia Military Institute) to defend the RR bridge over . . . — Map (db m107287) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 150-5 — Masonic Temple
A beautiful reproduction of the Greek Temple Athene, erected in 1855-56 for the Masons, of brick, hand-made by slaves, stood on this corner. An appeal by Mr. James D. Anthony and Dr. James R. Smith -- Methodist Ministers -- and Mr. Pincus Happ, . . . — Map (db m24677) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — 11 — Rev. J. D. Anthony — 1824 ~ 1899
James Danelly Anthony entered the Methodist ministry at the 1847 Georgia Conference and after 50 years of service retired in 1897. He had 12 different charges and was 4 times Presiding elder for separate districts, one being the Sandersville . . . — Map (db m24763) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Tennille — 150-18B — Irwin’s Crossroad
On Nov. 26, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US], which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, crossed the Oconee River at Ball’s Ferry (9 miles SW), on pontoon bridges, after two days of . . . — Map (db m35509) HM
Georgia (White County), Cleveland — 154-3 — White County
White County, created by Act of Dec. 22, 1857, was cut off from Habersham and Lumpkin Counties. Wm. H. Shelton, Repr. from Habersham at the session tried twice to have the county formed but failed. Repr. David T. White of Newton Co. backed the bill . . . — Map (db m21294) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Dalton — 155-17 — Hamilton House
This brick house & the stone spring house in the low ground back of it, were built by John Hamilton about 1840. During the Winter, 1863-1864, when the Confederate Army of Tennessee, under Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, occupied Dalton, Brig. Gen. J.H. . . . — Map (db m10830) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Dalton — 155-20 — Stevenson's Line
During demonstrations on Rocky Face & in Crow Valley, by 4th & 23d Army Corps troops, the northern line of Dalton’s defense works crossed the road here. Stevenson’s div. (Hood’s Army Corps) held this sector, his left at Cheatham’s line, at Signal . . . — Map (db m17162) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Rocky Face — 155-14 — Confederate Defense of Mill Creek Gap
Feb. 25, 1864. Stewart’s and Breckinridge’s divs. in the gap, repulsed the attacks of the Federal 14th A.C., from the N.W., while Hindman's A.C. drove back Cruft's and Bard’s divs. in Crow Valley E. of Rocky Face Ridge and N. of the R.R. May 8-9. . . . — Map (db m19265) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Tilton — The Chase, and a Battle250 yards →
To the left over the railroad crossing stood a water tower where the famed "General", of "The Great Locomotive Chase" stopped for water while being chased by the "Texas", April 12, 1862. A brief stop was made at nearby Green's Wood Yard for fuel. . . . — Map (db m10791) HM
Georgia (Whitfield County), Waring — 155-23 — Military Operations in Crow Valley
There were 2 demonstrations by Federal forces on Dalton, in 1864: Feb. 24-26; May 7-12. On these over-lapping fields of operation, the Burke House & spring were noted landmarks. Feb. 25, Cruft`s & Baird`s divs. (4th & 14th A.C.), via the low ridge . . . — Map (db m10929) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Rayle — 157-14 — Rock Methodist Church Wilkes County
Rock Methodist Church was instituted about 3 miles from here in 1839. The present building was erected in 1870. Charter members were: Tom and Lizzie Willis; John and Mary E. Mattox; John P., Martha, and Mrs. T. C. Latimer; Luke Turner, Sr., Wm and . . . — Map (db m25863) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Bishop James Osgood Andrew
James Osgood Andrew was born in Wilkes County, Georgia, on May 5, 1794, about 400 yards N.E. of this marker, the son of Rev. John Andrew and Mary Cosby Andrew. He was licensed to preach in the Ellam Methodist Episcopal Church, Broad River Circuit, . . . — Map (db m17257) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-2 — Historic Dugas Home
This home was built by Mr. and Mrs. Louis Dugas, French refugees from Santo Domingo, in the early 1790s. Here, until 1810, Mrs. Dugas conducted the Boarding School for Select Young Ladies which was attended by the daughters of many of Georgia’s . . . — Map (db m31779) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-23 — Phillips Mills Baptist Church
On June 10th, 1785, 16 members met in a mill on this site owned by Joel Phillips, a Revolutionary soldier, and organized Phillips Mills Baptist Church. The Rev. Silas Mercer, leader of the group, became the first pastor of the church, and served in . . . — Map (db m25513) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-28 — Walnut Hill Academy
Walnut Hill Academy, one of the famous schools of its time, was established in 1788 by the Rev. John Springer, in a building erected close to his house on this plantation. Among the Students taught by Mr. Springer at the Academy were John . . . — Map (db m25588) HM
Georgia (Wilkinson County), Gordon — 158-1 — He Wouldn't Run
J. Rufus Kelly, 18, was a member of Co. B, 14th Ga. Infantry, Confederate Army. At Jericho Ford, Va. when the 14th had orders to fall back, young Kelly kept advancing, waving his hat and rifle and urging his comrades to come on. When the retreat . . . — Map (db m41743) HM
Georgia (Worth County), Sylvester — 159-3 — Thigpen Trail
Thigpen Trail, oldest military road in Georgia, was cut by James Thigpen to transport military supplies of Col James Moore, former Carolina governor. It followed a wellbeaten trail of the Indians from the mountains to the sea in use before the era . . . — Map (db m40110) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Darrow — Tezcuco Plantation
Built in 1855 by Benjamin F. Tureaud, kinsman of Bringier family. Constructed of homemade red brick and Louisiana cypress. Purchased in 1888 by Dr. Julian T. Bringier. Retained by relatives until the 1940s. — Map (db m85284) HM
Louisiana (Ascension Parish), Geismar — Ashland
Plantation home of Duncan Farrar Kenner, 1813-1887; statesman, lawyer, planter and Confederate minister to France and England in 1864. Home also known as Belle Helene. — Map (db m96048) HM
Louisiana (East Baton Rouge Parish), Baton Rouge — Louisiana's Old State CapitolNorth Boulevard at Lafayette
Its architectural style has been both celebrated and criticized, but there's no disputing Louisiana's Old State Capitol is one of the nation's most distinct public buildings. Renowned architect James Dakin chose the building's Gothic Revival design. . . . — Map (db m96602) HM
Louisiana (Lafayette Parish), Lafayette — Lafayette Museum
Established 1954 by Les Vingt-Quatre Home of Louisiana's first Democratic Governor Alexandre Mouton (1804-1882) Built prior to 1836 — Map (db m85870) HM

2174 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1974
Paid Advertisement