Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1596 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1396
 
Marker in Washington Crossing image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, November 7, 2008
Marker in Washington Crossing
Iowa (Cedar County), West Branch — The Herbert Hoover Highway
This site is along the original route of the Herbert Hoover Highway, a 42-mile series of local, state and county roads that run between the foot of Old Capitol in Iowa City and the Cedar County community of Lowden. The Hoover Highway was designated . . . — Map (db m76108) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salem — The Burying Point1637 — Oldest Burying Ground in the City
Here are buried Captain Richard More Mayflower Passenger Governor Simon Bradstreet Reverend John Higginson Chief Justice Benjamin Lynde Justice John Hathorne of the Witchcraft Court — Map (db m51923) HM
Michigan (Cheboygan County), Mackinaw City — 377 — Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse
This light is opposite the turning point for ships making the difficult passage through the Straits of Mackinac, one of the busiest crossroads of the Great Lakes. McGulpin's Point light, two miles to the west, had been established in 1856, but it . . . — Map (db m40053) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Calumet — L0112 — Calumet Theater
One of the first municipal theaters in America, the Calumet opened on March 20, 1900, "the greatest social event ever known in copperdom's metropolis." The theater contained a magnificent stage and elegant interior decorations, including an . . . — Map (db m76299) HM
Michigan (Houghton County), Houghton — S0690 — The Amphidrome / The Birth of Professional Hockey
side 1 The Amphidrome The Amphidrome stood on this site from 1902 until 1927, when it burned. The first hockey game was played in the arena on December 29, 1902, when Portage Lake beat the University of Toronto, 13-2. The Amphidrome . . . — Map (db m76308) HM
Michigan (Sanilac County), Port Sanilac — S0110 — The Great Storm of 1913
Sudden tragedy struck the Great Lakes on November 9, 1913, when a storm, whose equal veteran sailors could not recall, left in its wake death and destruction. The grim toll was 235 seamen drowned, ten ships sunk, and more than twenty others driven . . . — Map (db m41195) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — First Woolen Mill
Here in 1816, Daniel Hazeltine built Jamestown's first woolen mill. He processed raw wool and manufactured finished cloth for 20 years at this site. Also, he dyed and finished on shares cloth woven on handlooms by pioneer women. — Map (db m64700) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Home of Reuben E. Fenton
"The Soldiers' Friend" Governor 1865-1869 U.S. Senator 1869-1875 — Map (db m64718) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Jamestown Furniture Exposition Building
Built to display locally manufactured furniture and to host semi-annual "Furniture Marts" for a national audience, 1917-1982. — Map (db m64703) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Policeman George Kendall
Of the Jamestown Police Department gave his life on June 18, 1915. He was shot while responding to a double shooting in the Shaver Building which occupied this site. The Kendall Club, Police Benevolent Association was named in his honor. — Map (db m64710) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — POW Camp - WW II
In 1944-1945, Fort Niagara Prisoner of War Camp housed interned German and Austrian soldiers, sailors, and airmen captured in North Africa and Europe. — Map (db m39971) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Bath — BB-2 — Historic Bath
(MAP OF TOWN OF BATH) Bath, the oldest incorporated town in North Carolina, was established in 1705. By the 1708 the town consisted of twelve houses and a population of fifty people. Among the early inhabitants were John Lawson, Surveyor General . . . — Map (db m67575) HM
North Carolina (Beaufort County), Washington — B-24 — Josephus Daniels
Secretary of the Navy, 1913-21; Ambassador to Mexico; editor; author. Birthplace stood here. — Map (db m67565) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — C. Wayland Spruill1889-1966
"Cousin Wayland". Farmer, businessman, and state legislator. Advocate of mental health programs. Home was 100 feet N.E. — Map (db m67582) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-68 — Eagle Tavern
Built in 1790s. Banquet for Lafayette held on February 27, 1825 when tavern was on its original site 900 feet northeast. — Map (db m46233) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-99 — John H. Eaton1790-1856
Secretary of War under Andrew Jackson; United States Senator from Tennessee; Florida governor; United States minister to Spain. Born here. — Map (db m46309) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — E-8 — Masonic Lodge
Chartered 1767. Building was erected in 1769. Joseph Montfort, "Grand Master of America," is buried there. 500 yards east. — Map (db m46312) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Weldon — E-35 — Roanoke Canal
Canal and locks around river rapids completed 1834 by Roanoke Navigation Company. Highway crosses route of canal at this point. — Map (db m46315) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — Colonel John H. SullivanDedicated to the Life and Memory of
The Father of Bellaire, Ohio who "could hear more distinctly than other men, the footsteps of coming generations" In November 1854, Colonel Sullivan platted the Harris Farm for a community incorporated in 1860 as Bellaire City, and in . . . — Map (db m78495) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — Willow Grove Mine
Hanna Coal Company's #10 Mine March 16, 1940 An explosion ripped through the Willow Grove Mine resulting in the death of 72 Ohio Valley men — Map (db m78503) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — Central School
Site of schools since 1820's Log House School. Union School in 1869. Central School built in 1894 for $65,000.00 and held 1,000 students. In 1971 following 77 years of service as East Liverpool's High School it was demolished. The ELHS Alumni . . . — Map (db m80712) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — Ceramic Theater
East Liverpool's largest and most elegant theater opened in 1904. A stage theater with seating for 1200, it offered first run plays, star performers, high school graduations and movies. It was razed in 1961. — Map (db m44152) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — 4-15 — First Paper Mill / Little Beaver Creek Bridge
Front Text: First Paper Mill The first paper mill in Ohio and the Northwest Territory was established in the valley below in 1807 by John Coulter of Virginia, Jacob Bowman and John Beaver of Pennsylvania. The mill was in St. Clair . . . — Map (db m62960) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), East Liverpool — I.O.O.F. Building
Believed to be the oldest surviving commercial building in the city, this structure was built in 1874 by the Robert Hall Lumber Company. It has served as the headquarters for the Odd Fellows, as a bank and various other professional offices. — Map (db m44158) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Hanoverton — 5-15 — Birthplace of Catholicism in Northern Ohio
About a mile south in St. Paul's Cemetery, the Reverend Father Edward J. Fenwick, "Pioneer Apostle of Ohio," organized the first Catholic parish in northern Ohio. The first mass was celebrated in the log house of Daniel McCallister. A century and a . . . — Map (db m66536) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Salem — 14-15 — Unserheim
Unserheim, meaning "Our Home" in German, is the name of this ante-bellum Queen Anne style home, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. From 1857-1878, it was home to Daniel Howell Hise, a Quaker and ardent . . . — Map (db m65429) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 74-25 — Tuskegee Airmen
The “Tuskegee Experience,” a program of the Army Air Corps to train African Americans as military pilots, began at Tuskegee Army Air Field in Alabama in 1941. At home and abroad during World War II, the Tuskegee Airmen prevailed against . . . — Map (db m13804) HM
Ohio (Jefferson County), Wintersville — 49 — WintersvilleTwo Ridges Church and Friendly Fire — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
While en route to Wintersville on July 25, 1863, Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his Confederate raiders stopped at the farm of Mrs. John Hanna for a short nap and meal. Working their way toward Wintersville through the area south of . . . — Map (db m79816) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 23-50 — Canfield WPA Memorial Building
(side A) The Canfield WPA Memorial Building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration, a federal government program instituted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as an effort to aid the United States in its recovery from the . . . — Map (db m41229) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Youngstown — 32-50 — Crandall ParkFifth Avenue Historic District
Side A Crandall Park is the heart of the historic district and includes Fifth Avenue, Redondo Road, Catalina Avenue, and Tod Lane. Most of the district’s historic structures were built between 1904 and 1930, Youngstown’s heyday as an urban . . . — Map (db m79490) HM
Ohio (Monroe County), Beallsville — Beallsville Veterans Memorial
Map (db m79265) WM
Ohio (Monroe County), Woodsfield — 4-56 — Sad Sam Jones, 1892-1966 / Mary Weddle-Hines
Side A Sad Sam Jones 1892-1966 With 229 victories, Woodsfield's Samuel Pond Jones, or Sad Sam Jones, was one of professional baseball's top pitchers in the early 1900s. He started his 22-year career with the Cleveland Indians in 1914 . . . — Map (db m79267) HM
Ohio (Noble County), Caldwell — 1-61 — Thorla-McKee Well
[Side A:] Salt was an important commodity to early settlers because of its use in daily living. In 1814 Silas Thorla and Robert McKee dug a well in search of salt brine. They discovered salt and, by accident, discovered oil. Oil's value was known . . . — Map (db m18000) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Limaville — 10-76 — Deer Creek Quaker Cemetery
Deer Creek Quaker Cemetery was established on land donated by Isaac Coates, who brought his family from Chester County, Pennsylvania to settle in Lexington Township in 1820. The name Deer Creek comes from the nearby stream and it signifies the . . . — Map (db m78946) HM
Ohio (Stark County), Louisville — Pleasant Grove1925-2012
Pleasant Grove Elementary School maintained a rich and proud heritage for outstanding education from 1925 to 2012. After eighty-seven years of service to the community, Pleasant Grove School was closed when the consolidated building was opened. The . . . — Map (db m78954) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Niles — 17-78 — William McKinley Birthplace
Side A: One of seven native Ohioans to serve as president of the United States, William McKinley (1843-1901) was born at this site. The original house was moved from this site and ultimately destroyed by fire. The McKinleys lived here until . . . — Map (db m65454) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 4-78 — John Stark Edwards House
Built in 1807. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Trumbull County Historical Society Museum — Map (db m65444) HM
Ohio (Trumbull County), Warren — 5-78 — Trumbull Red Cross Chapter House / Pioneer Cemetery
Trumbull Red Cross Chapter House Administration Building built in 1931. Chapter House built in 1962. Commemorating American Red Cross Centennial, 1881-1981. Pioneer Cemetery Early Western Reserve burial grounds, 1804-1848. Grave sites . . . — Map (db m65453) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), Dundee — 7-79 — The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14 / Henry Bouquet 1719-1765
Side A The Bouquet Expedition - Camp 14 Desperately trying to protect their homeland, the Delaware Indian Nation who lived here in the Tuscarawas Valley, joined the French against the English during the French and Indian War, . . . — Map (db m81571) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), Zoar — 19-79 — Zoar Garden
Side A The Zoar Garden was the Separatist's most public manifestation of their faith, its religious symbolism masked by its lush beauty. It provided both residents and visitors with a place to relax and reflect. This "lustgarden," or . . . — Map (db m81579) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Crescent — Shousetown Boatyard
Founder Peter Shouse, built "Kentuckian" its first steamboat in 1829. Sold 1837 to E.and N. Porter. By 1866 over 80 steamboats had been launched. The last was the 1727-ton "Great Republic", famed on the Mississippi River for its size and elegance. — Map (db m40223) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Elizabeth — Elizabeth
Here were the boatyards of John and Samuel Walker, a major center for building boats for western waters. A ship launched in 1793 at these yards reached Philadelphia via New Orleans. — Map (db m41772) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Gibsonia — Butler Short Line
Butler Short Line electric streetcar passed this spot as it ran between Pittsburgh and Butler carrying passengers and freight from May 1st, 1907 until April 22nd, 1931. — Map (db m61017) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Mount Lebanon — Southminster Presbyterian Church — Historic Landmark
Southminster Presbyterian Church Originally Mount Lebanon Presbyterian Church Thomas Pringle, Architect 1927-1928 — Map (db m72866) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), North Braddock — Colonel George Washington Monument
Dedicated July 9, 1930 to Colonel George Washington, who served as aide-de-camp to General Edward Braddock in the Battle of Braddock’s Field around this site July 9, 1755 — Map (db m58973) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny High School — Historic Landmark
Allegheny High School 1904 Frederick John Osterling, Architect — Map (db m58602) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Art Blakey(1919-1990)
A founder of the “hard-bop” school of jazz, drummer Blakey grew up here, and got his start with Billy Eckstine's band. Blakey’s group, “The Jazz Messengers,” featured Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Silver, and Wynton . . . — Map (db m48883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Avery College
To the south, at Nash and Avery Streets, stood Avery College. Founded in 1849 by Charles Avery (1784-1858), Methodist lay preacher, philanthropist, abolitionist, to provide a classical education for Negroes. — Map (db m41046) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Calvary Episcopal Church
January 2, 1921 from Calvary Church for the first time in history a church service was broadcasted by radio wireless by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. — Map (db m65042) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Clinton Furnace
Pittsburgh’s first successful blast furnace for making pig iron. Operations began near here, 1859, using Connellsville coke as fuel. The furnace’s technology initiated a new era, leading to more advanced furnaces capable of producing huge amounts of . . . — Map (db m15138) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark
First United Methodist Church Weary and Kramer, H. Wagoner, Architects 1893-95, 1952 — Map (db m65135) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road, 1758
This tablet marks the site of a giant oak which stood on the northerly side of the road built in 1758 by Brigadier-General John Forbes on his military expedition against the French and Indians at Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh). On November 25, . . . — Map (db m71947) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fort Duquesne
This marks the exact site of Fort Duquesne, built by the French in 1754

The Fort was destroyed by the French on the approach of the English Army in 1758 — Map (db m43572) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank E. Bolden(1912-2003)
Distinguished journalist, one of the first two African American accredited correspondents during World War II. He covered the “Buffalo Soldiers” and “Tuskegee Airmen,” reporting from India, Burma, and China. Later, City . . . — Map (db m40886) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Heinz Hall — Historic Landmark
Heinz Hall (formerly Loew's Penn Theatre) Rapp & Rapp, Architects 1926 Stotz, Hess, MacLachlan & Fosner remodeling 1971 — Map (db m67122) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry J. Heinz(1844-1919)
From a start in 1869 selling bottled horseradish, Heinz built an international firm by 1886. He pioneered innovative advertising, quality control, and benevolent employee policies and transformed modern diets. — Map (db m40889) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Herr's Island
This island was known as Herr's Island for over 200 years. Named for Benjamin Herr, a Swiss Mennonite, the island became an idyllic village with fruit trees and gardens. Herr operated a water-powered mill in the back channel as packet boats floated . . . — Map (db m99623) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John T. Comès(1873-1922)
A nationally influential church architect and a prolific writer and lecturer. Comès was recognized for his philosophy regarding design and decoration of Catholic churches. A Pittsburgh resident, his commissions, including Saint Agnes here, are . . . — Map (db m97505) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jones Hall — Historic Landmark
Jones Hall 1908-1910 Rutan and Russell, Architects — Map (db m65171) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Martin R. Delany(1812-1885)
A promoter of African-American nationalism, Delany published a Black newspaper, The Mystery, at an office near here. He attended Harvard Medical School, practiced medicine in Pittsburgh, and was commissioned as a major in the Civil War. — Map (db m42025) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Old Allegheny Market House
One block east of this site opposite Carnegie Library and facing Ober Park stood the Old Allegheny Market House built in 1863, the most famous market hall in the metropolitan area. It was a great square shell of brick filling an entire city block . . . — Map (db m40178) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Pittsburgh Grease Plant
Long a major producer of lubricating grease for industry, transportation, and the military. In WW II, supplied 5,000,000 pounds of “Eisenhower grease,” vital to the war effort. Founded here in 1885, by Grant McCargo. After 1929, part of . . . — Map (db m40903) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Pittsburgh's Grand Hall at the Priory(Formerly St. Mary's German Catholic Church) — Historic Landmark
Pittsburgh's Grand Hall at the Priory (formerly St. Mary's German Catholic Church) Father John Stibiel, designer; Sidney F. Heckert, architect for vestibule 1854; vestibule 1906 — Map (db m65227) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Sacred Heart Church — Historic Landmark
Sacred Heart Church 1924-53 C. Strong, Kaiser, Neal, Reid — Map (db m65139) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Saint Nicholas Roman Catholic Church — Historic Landmark
Saint Nicholas R.C. Church 1900-1901 F.C. Sauer, Architect — Map (db m60287) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Saint Stanislaus Kostka Roman Catholic Church — Historic Landmark
Historic Landmark Saint Stanislaus Kostka R.C. Church Built 1891-1892 — Map (db m62560) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Schenley Park BridgeOver Panther Hollow — Historic Landmark
Schenley Park Bridge Over Panther Hollow Henry B. Rust, engineer 1897 — Map (db m65142) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church — Historic Landmark
Louis & Michael Beezer Brothers, architects John T. Comes, designer 1903 — Map (db m64808) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — The Thomas Carlin's Sons Foundry
Have you ever stopped to notice a manhole cover in Carnegie? Or wondered who made repair parts for train locomotives? Or tried to invent a pair of mechanized scissors? The Thomas Carlin's Sons Foundry did! They manufactured these items and many . . . — Map (db m99531) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Troy Hill Incline — Historic Site
Troy Hill Incline This is the upper station of the first incline in Allegheny, completed in 1887 and out of service by 1898. The engineer was Samuel Diescher, a specialist in incline construction. The total length was 370 feet on a 47-percent . . . — Map (db m70994) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Vietnam Veterans Monument
The canopy covering the statues is taken from the shape of a Hibiscus Flower Pod an asiatic symbol of rebirth and regeneration, symbolizing the warrior's return to peace to begin the journey of healing the scars of war. On the ceiling of the . . . — Map (db m58626) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Westinghouse Electric Corporation
Pioneer in development of alternating current, permitting transmission of electricity over long distances. Founded 1886 by George Westinghouse, it first made AC motors, generators, transformers in a plant at Garrison Place and Penn Avenue. — Map (db m43569) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Westinghouse Railroad Air Brake
Invented by George Westinghouse in 1869, the air brake revolutionized railroad transportation. It made possible longer, heavier, and faster trains while improving safety. Modified versions are still in use today. Westinghouse Air Brake Co. was . . . — Map (db m47037) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Sewickley — Atwell-Christy House — Historic Landmark
Atwell-Christy House Built 1862 — Map (db m65668) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Sewickley — Count Noble / Mildmay Park Beauty
Side A Count Noble Across this lawn frolicked Count Noble (1879-1891). He has been called the greatest dog that ever lived. Count Noble sired generations of field and show champion English Setters and is a pillar of the breed in . . . — Map (db m96077) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Springdale — Rachel Carson
Scientist, naturalist and writer. Born 1907 at 613 Marion Avenue; died 1964. Her 1951 book “The Sea Around Us” was followed in 1962 by “Silent Spring.” This book focused the nation's attention on the dangers of pesticides and . . . — Map (db m42648) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Elizabeth — Yohogania Courthouse
Governmental and judicial center for Yohogania, a county erected by Virginia in asserting its claim to western Pennsylvania from 1777 to 1780. The site is on the hilltop opposite. — Map (db m44986) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — Kennywood Park
A National Historic Landmark, designated 1987. In 1898 a picnic grove on Anthony Kenny's farm here was leased to the Monongahela Street Railway Company for an amusement park linked to Pittsburgh by its trolley line. Sold to private interests in . . . — Map (db m40896) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Blanket Hill
Here Colonel John Armstrong with about 800 Frontiersmen from Cumberland County stopped September 7, 1756, while on his way to attack the Indian town of Kittanning. He left 18 of his men, commanded by Lieutanant James Hogg to watch a band of Indians . . . — Map (db m47560) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — In Memory of General John Armstrong
In memory of General John Armstrong, a Scottish Covenanter and a soldier of the American Revolution. Lieutenant Colonel, 2d. Battalion Provincial troops 1756. Brigadier General Continental Army 1776. Major General Pennsylvania Militia 1778 to close . . . — Map (db m47562) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Kittanning — Kittanning or Attiqué Indian Town
Kittanning or Attiqué Indian Town was located on this river flat. The chief settlement as early as 1727, of the Lenni-Lenape or Delaware Indians in their early westward movement from the Susquehanna River, became the most important Indian center . . . — Map (db m49191) HM
Pennsylvania (Armstrong County), Manorville — Fort Armstrong
Located on the nearby river bank, this outpost was built in June, 1779, and abandoned that autumn. It served the Brodhead expedition against the Senecas and was named for Maj. Gen. John Armstrong. — Map (db m100664) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Legion of the United States Encampment
On the plateau, southwest of this spot, was situated the camp of the army of General Anthony Wayne. This army, known as the Legion of the United States, encamped at this place when on the expedition against the Indians west of the Ohio from . . . — Map (db m40299) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Logstown
Located near here was the large Indian village of Logstown 1727-1758 important conferences were held and disputes settled between British, French and Indians in the struggle for the Upper Ohio Valley Territory — Map (db m44494) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Baden — Saint Matthew's Church
On January 1, 1838, Reverend F. Winter organized the German Evangelical Reformed and Lutheran congregation, later named Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church. Original log church 1840-1855. Present church dedicated 1855. — Map (db m49431) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — The Tuscararas Trail
The great trail between Fort Pitt and Detroit was traveled for years by Indians. It was used by the expeditions of Bouquet's Royal Americans. Blackwatch. Virginia and Pennsylvania Militia in 1764 and McIntosh's Continentals and Virginia Militia in . . . — Map (db m50185) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Beaver — Water Lot
Source of water to Beaver Borough 1802-1886. From hillside springs, pipes bored from logs carried water to the center of town. First reservoir, built 1845 from native stone, still stands. — Map (db m49427) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Frankfort Springs — White's Mill
In 1780 John White ran a grist mill on Raccoon Creek. Water power ran the mill until a 1912 flood destroyed the dam then steam power until 1920. White's Mill decided the boundary of Beaver County in 1800 to become the village of Murdocksville. — Map (db m51604) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Freedom — Trinity Evangelical Lutheran
Was dedicated July 20, 1870. Worship continued regularly until 1973 the church was razed for the new highway. Trinity merged with Saint Peter's of New Sewickley to form Prince of Peace Lutheran Church. — Map (db m47394) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Hanover Township — Swearingen Cemetery
Victims of the last Indian murder in Beaver County are buried here. Samuel Swearingen settled here in 1785 and in 1790 near this site his only daughter Mary, wife of Jacob Colvin, and her infant child were scalped and killed. They are buried here in . . . — Map (db m51603) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Brodheads Road
Beaver Countys first highway constructed 1778 by General Lachlan McIntosh as a supply route from Fort Pitt to Fort McIntosh Colonel Daniel Broadhead succeeded to the command of the fort in 1779 and his name was associated with the road. — Map (db m50887) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Saint Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Constructed in 1832 by separatists from the Harmony Society, under the leadership of Count Maximilian DeLeon, organized as New Philadephia Society. 1840-First School Built. 1850-First Pipe Organ in Beaver County. — Map (db m45780) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Monaca — Water Cure Sanitorium
Founded 1848 by Dr. Edward Acker. Used hydrotherapy or water to heal. First hospital in Beaver County. Town's first Post Office, 1856. Phillipsburg soldiers orphans school founded 1866 by Rev. William Taylor. Destroyed by fire 1876. — Map (db m50181) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Pennsylvania Canal System
Beaver Division built 1831-1834. Two locks at Rochester, five in New Brighton and two at Eastvale overcame the falls of the Beaver River. The canal was extended to Erie in 1834. Canal traffic ceased in 1871. Few remains are visible today. — Map (db m45790) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — White Cottage
Home of Grace Greenwood (Sara J. Clarke Lippincott, 1823-1904), pioneer woman correspondent, poetess, and authoress. While living here during the mid-19th Century, she wrote many of her popular juvenile stories. — Map (db m134) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Ohioville — Smiths Ferry
Oil boom town in 1860s-1870s. Oil shipped here on trains and river boats from wells in the Upper Dry Run and Island Run oilfields. Town had a hotel store post office and train station. All gone today. Rockport School remains. Neaby Glasgow had oil . . . — Map (db m44179) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Centerville — Site of Cumberland Valley Post Office1871 - 1945
Mail was delivered here on foot over Wills Mtn. from the B&O Railroad in Hyndman, PA. The 4 mile Mail Path was used from 1871 until 1923. Mail was also delivered 4 more miles over Evitts Mtn. to Bean's Cove. After 1923, mail arrived here via Blue . . . — Map (db m84288) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Schellsburg — The Beginning of Agricultural Cooperative Extension Service
One of the nation's earliest cooperative extension offices was established in 1910 in Schellsburg, Bedford County, with A.B. Ross as county agent. The innovative program sought to educate farmers about agricultural science to increase . . . — Map (db m59737) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Wolfsburg — Forbes Road
This intersection marks the point where Forbes Road of 1758 diverged from the path cut by Col. Burd in 1755. The Forbes Road led through the wilderness west toward Ligonier from this point. — Map (db m59734) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Reading — Solomon Boscov
Founder of the family-owned department store chain. An immigrant from Russia, 1911, he came to Reading as a peddler. His first store began here after WWI and gradually expanded. New stores opened starting in 1962. In 1969 he died; thirty years . . . — Map (db m71370) HM
Pennsylvania (Blair County), Altoona — Leap-The-Dips Roller Coaster
Built here in 1902 by E. Joy Morris of Philadelphia, it was among some 250 side-friction figure eight roller coasters in North America. It became the last known ride of this type and the world's oldest known operating roller coaster. A National . . . — Map (db m52346) HM
Pennsylvania (Blair County), Altoona — Railroad Shopmen's Strike of 1922
Over 300,000 skilled tradesmen went on strike against United States railroads to defend gains by unions during World War One. The Pennsylvania Railroad shops in Altoona led the anti-union opposition. The bitter struggle led to the 1926 Railway Labor . . . — Map (db m52867) HM
Pennsylvania (Blair County), Duncansville — Gallitzin Spring
The spring opposite here was a favorite stopping place of Prince Gallitzin, noted prince-priest and missionary who founded the settlement at Loretto in 1792. He was also known as Father Smith. Buried at Loretto, site of his chapel. — Map (db m52474) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Washington Crossing — Washington Crossing
Here Washington and his men braved ice and sleet Christmas night, 1776, to cross the Delaware and to surprise and defeat the Hessians at Trenton. The victory gave new life to the patriot cause. — Map (db m13395) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Cabot — Influenza Epidemic Victims
Here are buried an unknown number of local victims of the worldwide influenza epidemic of 1918-1919 -- one of history's worst epidemics in terms of deaths. In Butler County, the worst period was early October to early November 1918, with some 260 . . . — Map (db m78854) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Evans City — Major George Washington
On the flats of the east side of Connoquenessing Creek, one hundred rods east of this spot, Major George Washington, then a youth twenty-one years of age, narrowly escaped death, being shot at by a hostile Indian, less than fifteen steps distant, on . . . — Map (db m42639) HM
Pennsylvania (Butler County), Prospect — George Edward Waddell(1876-1914)
One of the greatest pitchers in baseball history. With the Philadelphia Athletics "Rube" Waddell led the American League in strikeouts 6 straight years, topping 20 wins in each of his first 4 years. During his career he won 193 games. He was known . . . — Map (db m40357) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site — Allegheny Portage Railroad
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark — Map (db m53793) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Belsano — Malcolm Cowley
Born here in 1898, Cowley became an influential literary critic, editor, poet, and historian after World War I. He chronicles the "Lost Generation" in Exile's Return, his most famous work. Blue Juniata, a book of verse, celebrates this region. He . . . — Map (db m74410) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Johnstown — American Red Cross
On June 5, 1889, Clara Barton and a group of American Red Cross volunteers arrived in Johnstown to help the survivors of a devastating flood resulting from the failure of the South Fork Dam. It was one of the first major disaster responses for the . . . — Map (db m74402) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Loretto — Charles M. Schwab
The steel king, of whom Carnegie said he "knew more about steel than any man in the world," had his estate here. The grounds and buildings are owned by Saint Francis College. — Map (db m52908) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Loretto — Loretto
Founded 1799 by the prince-priest, Demetrius Gallitzin. Here he began in 1800 the first school in the area, a forerunner of St. Francis College, chartered in 1858. Catholic cultural center. Charles M. Schwab, steel king, had his home here. — Map (db m73400) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Spangler — Dedicated to the 77 Men
Dedicated to the 77 men named here who died in an explosion November 6, 1922 in Reilly's colliery #1. Spangler, Penna. and to the many others who lost their lives before and since in area coal mines. — Map (db m74510) HM
Pennsylvania (Centre County), Port Matilda — Scotia
Two miles southwest of here, an iron center called Scotia was established by Andrew Carnegie in 1881. Here houses were erected, a railroad built, and machinery set up. Some physical traces of the center have remained. — Map (db m65600) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Clearfield County Courthouse
Clearfield County, formed March 26, 1804, was named for the clear fields found by early travelers. The first courthouse, in use for 46 years, was built circa 1814. The cornerstone for the second present courthouse was laid June 04, 1860, and . . . — Map (db m65559) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — Clearfield County's First Jail
The first county jail, c1820-1841 was a log structure, one of the oldest buildings in town. The jail is contained in the dwelling at 105 S. Second St. The second jail, 1841-1872, was a stone structure built on Market St., directly behind the . . . — Map (db m65561) HM
Pennsylvania (Clearfield County), Clearfield — William Bigler(1840-1880)
State Senator, 1841-1847; Governor of Pennsylvania, 1852-1855; and U.S. Senator, 1856-1861. Opposed slavery; favored a Southern compromise to avoid the Civil War. His brother, John, was elected Governor of California, 1852. Resided here. — Map (db m65575) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Mill Hall — Great Shamokin Path
By the Indian path along Bald Eagle Creek, in 1772, Bishop Ettwein, Moravian, brought some 200 Christian Mohicans and Delawares from Friedenshuetten, near Wyalusing, to Friedensstadt on the Beaver. — Map (db m65550) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Cambridge Springs — Cambridge Springs
Between 1884 and 1915, this was a major health resort, founded upon the various mineral springs here. Dr. John H. Gray, who had discovered spring water on his farm, began prescribing and marketing it in 1884. By the early 1900s, some forty inns and . . . — Map (db m41025) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Baldwin House
Two blocks from here is the home built 1841 by Justice Henry Baldwin. Appointed to United States Supreme Court in 1830. As a member of Congress in 1816 to 1822, he was an early protective tariff advocate. — Map (db m41021) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Desegregation of Pennsylvania Schools
An event here in September 1880 led to the end of segregation by race in the state's public schools. At the South Ward schools, Elias Allen tried unsuccessfully to enroll his two children. He appealed to the Crawford County Court of Common Pleas, . . . — Map (db m41027) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — First Christian Church
Reflecting the diversity of early religious life, the first church here was the Central or Second Presbyterian acquired in 1904 by the Christian Church. In 1963 a new sanctuary was built on North Main Extension and the Landmark brick Church razed. — Map (db m55072) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — French Creek Feeder
The canal visible beyond the field was built 1827-1834. Repaired in 1841, it carried water from French Creek to Conneaut Lake, reservoir for the Erie Extension canal, which operated between Erie and New Castle , 1844-71. — Map (db m55065) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — The Spirella Company
On this site were located the offices of the Spirella Company which produced made-to-measure corsets. The company provided jobs for 25 percent of Meadville's residents after the 1904 invention of a flexible steel stay by MM Beeman. Employee benefits . . . — Map (db m55067) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Early Refinery
The first refinery in the Oil Creek Region for crude petroleum was built nearby in 1860. The first run of oil was made in 1861. Oil was first refined at Pittsburgh, about 1854, by Samuel Kier. — Map (db m64971) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Charles Albert "Chief" Bender(1884-1954)
One of baseball's great pitchers. Bender played for the Philadelphia Athletics from 1903-14, helping them to win 5 pennants and 3 world championships. After winning 212 games over 16 seasons and becoming one of the first World Series stars, he was . . . — Map (db m30286) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Major André
For a short time in 1776, Major André and Lt. Despard, British prisoners of war, were detained in a tavern that stood on this site. Some years later, after an exchange and recapture, André was executed as a spy. — Map (db m30321) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Molly Pitcher
Mary “Ludwig” Hays McCauley, known as “Molly Pitcher,” heroine at Battle of Monmouth, is buried in Old Graveyard just east of here. In this burial ground are graves of many distinguished citizens. — Map (db m16089) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), New Cumberland — John W. Geary(1819 - 1873)
Two-term Governor of Pennsylvania, 1867-73. Major General in Civil War. Colonel, 2nd Pa. Regiment in Mexican War. Governor, Kansas Territory, First postmaster & first mayor of San Francisco. His home was a block east at 308 Market Street. — Map (db m26949) HM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Harrisburg — Dauphin County
Formed March 4, 1785 from part of Lancaster County. The name honors the eldest son of the French King Louis XVI. Harrisburg, the county seat, was laid out in 1785 and chartered a city in 1860. Since 1812 it has been the State capital of Pennsylvania. — Map (db m6399) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Climax Locomotives
Over 1000 geared steam locomotives were built at the Climax plant here from 1888 to 1928. These were widely used on logging railroads in the United States and other countries. By making new areas accessible to large-scale lumbering, geared . . . — Map (db m64574) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Corry — Creation of the Pennsylvania Game Commission
Concerned about declining wildlife populations caused by logging, development, and excessive hunting and trapping, Corry businessman H.A. Penrose assembled several influential men in Corry on Aug. 22, 1890, to form the Pennsylvania State Sportsmen’s . . . — Map (db m64576) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Cashier's House
Erected as a residence for the cashier of a branch of the United States Bank of Pennsylvania, which occupied the adjacent building. Completed 1839. — Map (db m41032) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie
The State's only lake port, bought with Erie Triangle, 1792. Laid out in 1795 by Ellicott and Irvine. Site of French, British and U.S. forts. Perry built his fleet here in 1813. — Map (db m31969) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Erie Land Lighthouse
The first lighthouse to shine on the Great Lakes. Created to aid navigation and promote shipping, the original 20-ft. beacon (1818) and the subsequent brick tower (1858) were built upon unstable soil. The sandstone tower (1867) was the 3rd built . . . — Map (db m41036) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Flagship Niagara
Restored flagship of Capt. Oliver Hazard Perry in the Battle of Lake Erie, Sept. 10, 1813. — Map (db m21047) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Harry T. Burleigh
Eminent American baritone, composer, and arranger, was born 3 blocks north in 1866. He arranged "Deep River" and other spirituals, and set to music poems by Walt Whitman. Was a student and associate of Dvorak. He died in 1949. — Map (db m41039) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Making of the Flag "Don't Give Up The Ship"
Steadfast in the face of war in the summer of 1813, seven brave Erie women stitched the flag that Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry carried into battle. British ships were on Lake Erie poised for attack. Although many fled south, Margaret Forster . . . — Map (db m99995) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Paul Allman Siple(1908-1968)
One of the world's foremost authorities on Antarctica, he was honored internationally for his work as scientist, explorer, inventor, geographer, diplomat, and author. An Eagle Scout and NIAGARA Sea Scout from Erie, Siple was selected from all US Boy . . . — Map (db m39914) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Waterford — George Washington
In December, 1753, George Washington came here with notice from the governor of Virginia to the French that they were trespassing on British soil. The statue shows Washington carrying out his first public mission. — Map (db m31993) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Connellsville — Meason House
The Georgian manor on the hill was built 1802 by Isaac Meason. Veteran of the Revolution, Meason was a pioneer ironmaster. In 1817 at Plumsock he built one of the first rolling mills. — Map (db m59679) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Connellsville — World War II Connellsville Canteen
From 1944 until 1946, about 800 women of all ages met 600,000 troops who passed through the B&O Railroad station. From offices here, volunteers furnished food and drink 24 hours a day and chauffeured personnel to their homes. — Map (db m41800) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Farmington — Fort Necessity
Colonel George Washington on June 29, 1754 began a fort here. July 4 he surrendered to a superior force of French. Fort Necessity Park includes the historic area and reconstructed fort. — Map (db m41789) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Uniontown — Fayette County
Formed September 26, 1783 from Westmoreland County. Named for the Marquis de Lafayette. Among the French and Indian War sites here is Fort Necessity. The county seat, Uniontown, was incorporated 1796. On the National Road, eventually US Route 40. — Map (db m41786) HM
Pennsylvania (Forest County), East Hickory — Lawunakhannek
Name of Indian mission near here, at which the first Protestant church building west of the Allegheny Mountains was built by Zeisberger in 1769. Term is Delaware word meaning "northerly stream place". — Map (db m39882) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Greencastle — Captain Ulric Dahlgren
Commanded a detachment of Union cavalry that made a surprise attack on a larger force of Confederate cavalry on this square, July 2, 1863. Important papers for General Lee were taken from the men who were captured. — Map (db m8008) HM
Pennsylvania (Greene County), Carmichaels — Greene Academy
Established in 1810 by Act of Legislature. Was aided by State grant of $2000 and public subscriptions. Until 1860, a leading academy west of the mountains. Old building, no longer used for a school, is northeast of here, on Market Street. — Map (db m56952) HM
Pennsylvania (Greene County), Wind Ridge — Ryerson's Blockhouse
Near here stood one of three blockhouses erected by Captain James Paul's company in 1792, during the State's last troubles with the Indians. On April 17, 1792, soldiers carrying supplies from the Thomas Ryerson mill clashed with an Indian war party . . . — Map (db m56956) HM
Pennsylvania (Indiana County), Rossiter — Rossiter Strike Injunction
On April 1, 1927, 200,000 bituminous coal miners nationwide struck to protest wage reductions. In November, strikers in Rossiter were prohibited from assembling, marching, and hymn singing by a sweeping injunction issued by Indiana County Judge . . . — Map (db m49200) HM
Pennsylvania (Indiana County), Saltsburg — The Rivers' Edge
On June 7, 1997, this park was dedicated to the memory of William I. Maxwell. His love for and commitment to the Saltsburg community, combined with his love for the river, make the Rivers' Edge park a fitting tribute that the community and its . . . — Map (db m49206) HM
Pennsylvania (Indiana County), Smicksburg — Fort Mahoning
This is a small re-creation of an 18th century log fort or blockhouse typical of this area. The building was erected in Smicksburg by Amish craftsmen using local logs and authentic saddle-notch construction and then moved to this site. Log buildings . . . — Map (db m49198) HM
Pennsylvania (Jefferson County), Brookville — Elijah Heath(1796-1875)
Outspoken abolitionist and judge, in 1835 Heath and others rescued two fugitive slaves, Charles Brown and William Parker. Heath, a Brookville resident, was sued by a Virginia slaveholder and fined for his actions. Undeterred, Heath continued his . . . — Map (db m42907) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Strasburg — Strasburg Rail Road
Established in 1832 in response to the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad's bypass of Strasburg, it remains the oldest American railroad operating under its original charter. Local railroad enthusiasts saved it from abandonment in 1958 and developed . . . — Map (db m55518) HM
Pennsylvania (Lawrence County), New Wilmington — East Diamond
These adjacent four corners form the East Diamond. The East and West Diamonds are commonly referred to as the Town Square. The rare Double Diamond design is part of the original 1824 drawing of New Wilmington by James Waugh. The Diamonds were . . . — Map (db m105647) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Bradford — Bradford Oil Refinery
One of the oldest refineries in continuous production in the United States was founded near here in 1881 by pioneer independent oilmen Robert Childs, Eli Loomis, and William Willis. The original refining capacity was 10 barrels a day. One-hundred . . . — Map (db m59134) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Coryville — Tidewater Pipe Company
Opposite here was station no.1 of the first pipe line to carry oil across the Alleghenies. Built by an early competitor of Standard Oil, it began May 28, 1879, to pump oil 109 miles to Williamsport, Pennsylvania. — Map (db m59155) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Port Allegany — Port Allegany
Travel point since pioneer days, when travelers coming overland from the Susquehanna continued by water from "Canoe Place." The town grew as a center of lumber and tanning industry. Its descriptive present name came into use about 1840 — Map (db m78699) HM
Pennsylvania (McKean County), Smethport — McKean County
Formed March 26, 1804 out of Lycoming County. Named for Governor Thomas McKean. Smethport, the county seat, was incorporated 1853; here the "Bucktails," famed Civil War regiment, assembled in 1861. Oil, gas and lumber spurred the county's early . . . — Map (db m39885) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Greenville — Bigler Graves
Jacob and Susan Bigler, parents of two governors, are buried here. Their son William was Governor of Pennsylvania, 1852-55; and their son John, Governor of California, 1852-56. — Map (db m41589) HM
Pennsylvania (Mercer County), Mercer — General Hugh Mercer
In memory of General Hugh Mercer. Born in Scotland, Colonel on General Forbes Expedition against Fort Duquesne 1758, Commander at Fort Pitt 1759, Colonel 3rd Virginia Regiment 1776, Brigadier General Continental Army 1776, killed in the Battle . . . — Map (db m41593) HM
Pennsylvania (Potter County), Coudersport — David Zeisberger
Erected as a memorial to David Zeisberger, who encamped near this place on the night of October 8, 1767, when on his way from Bethlehem to the mouth of Tionesta Creek to visit the Indians on the Allegheny River. He was accompanied by two Delaware . . . — Map (db m42918) HM
Pennsylvania (Potter County), Raymond — Allegheny River
Here is the head stream of this historic river, pathway of Indians, and white traders and settlers for over 200 years. It unites with the Monongahela, 352 miles away at Pittsburgh, forming the Ohio. — Map (db m42914) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Somerset — Early Bible
In a log cabin located on this site, Charles Frederick Goeb printed a Bible in 1813. It was the first Bible printed west of the Allegheny Mountains. — Map (db m55525) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Ursina — Fort Hill
Archaeological study of the flat-top hill across the valley revealed two palisaded Indian villages with extensive house and burial remains, all dating from the Discovery Period. — Map (db m48084) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Fort Machault
Built by the French in 1756 to guard the route to the Ohio; it was evacuated and burned by them after the siege and fall of Fort Niagara in 1759. Site of fort is one block south. — Map (db m42936) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — George Bissell(1821-1884)
An attorney and oil industry pioneer, in 1854 with J.G. Eveleth, he purchased the Hibbard Farm, future site of Drake Well. Later that year, they organized Pennsylvania Rock Oil Company, America's first oil corporation. Bissell, with partners, also . . . — Map (db m42940) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Franklin — Venango County
Formed March 12, 1800 out of Allegheny and Lycoming counties. The name (an Indian term) refers to French Creek. Franklin, county seat, was laid out in 1795. It became a city in 1868, as did Oil City in 1871. At Drake Well the oil industry was born, . . . — Map (db m42943) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — Charles Lockhart(1818-1905)
The largest crude oil refiner in Pittsburgh in the 1860s. Lockhart, Frew and Company merged its seven refineries with Standard Oil in 1874. Lockhart served on the board, managing 80% of United States oil refining, transport, and marketing. One of . . . — Map (db m42922) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — In Memory of Cornplanter1735 - 1836
John O'Bail Chief of the Seneca Indians Who for services rendered the State of Pennsylvania at the close of the Revolution was created by Governor Mifflin in 1789 the land on which this part of Oil City is situated. — Map (db m64967) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Pleasantville — Pithole City
Site of oil-boom town of 15,000. Established in 1865, a ghost town by 1868. Administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. — Map (db m64961) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Tidioute — The Grandin Well
At oil spring across river at this point J. L. Grandin began second well drilled specifically for oil, August, 1859, after Drake's success. It was dry, showing risks involved in oil drilling. — Map (db m39889) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — Seneca Crossing
Native Americans, French explorers, and Revolutionary War soldiers all used this 8-mile cross-country portage to access the upper reaches of the Allegheny River from Conewango Creek. This historic trail provided travelers with a preferable . . . — Map (db m59126) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — Struthers Library Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m83702) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — Warren County
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny and Lycoming counties. Named for General Joseph Warren, killed at Bunker Hill. Warren, the county seat, was laid out in 1795. Long known for its oil and timber operations, and site of the Cornplanter Indian Grant. — Map (db m59128) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), East Bethlehem — The Abraham Tegarden Family
Abraham (1718-1781) and Mary Parker Tegarden from Frederick County, Virginia 1753, made an 'improvement' opposite mouth of Tenmile Creek, Fayette County; Abraham, sutler for Colonel Bouquet 1759, fought in French and Indian War, Captain Virginia . . . — Map (db m56944) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Finleyville — James Chapel Methodist Church
James Chapel has been in continuous use since it was built in 1817. It was the outgrowth of a class formed about 1810 at Robert James' home. — Map (db m78748) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Florence — Elisha McCurdy
The great Presbyterian revivalist is buried here where he served as pastor 46 years. At Cross Roads and Upper Buffalo he led, in November of 1802, the Great Revival meetings attended by many thousands from near and far. — Map (db m40418) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), McDonald — Jay Livingston(1915-2001)
Prolific composer and writer of popular songs for motion pictures and television from the 1940s to the 1990s. Born and raised in McDonald. Along with partner Ray Evans, Livingston earned Academy Awards for the songs “Buttons and Bows,” . . . — Map (db m45733) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — Monongahela
Oldest settlement in the valley and transportation center since the days of Devore's Ferry, chartered 1775. Laid out in 1796 as Williamsport. A city since 1873. Here thousands of pioneers began the river journey to the West. — Map (db m45003) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Monongahela — The Mounds
Site of two Indian Burial Mounds built between 2,000 and 3,000 years ago by the Adena people. Late 19th century excavations found skeletons, pottery, copper implements, and other antiquities. — Map (db m45011) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Captain Philo McGiffin
Born December 13, 1860, on this site. Graduate of the United States Naval Academy. Went to China in 1885, built up and trained its Navy. September 17, 1894, it fought the Japanese to a draw in a naval battle at Yalu River. McGiffin died in 1897 from . . . — Map (db m40414) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Rebecca Harding Davis(1831-1910)
Journalist, editor, and literary pioneer, Davis was influential in the Realist movement. She wrote hundreds of works related to social issues, including the renowned Life in the Iron Mills. Born in the nearby Bradford House, she attended . . . — Map (db m64342) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Arthur Saint Clair(1737-1818)
President, Continental Congress, 1787; member, 1785-87. First Governor of the Northwest Territory (lying between the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers), 1787-1802. Earlier, he was Westmoreland County Court Justice after the county's formation in 1773, and . . . — Map (db m48066) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Greensburg — Fort Allen
Built and commanded by Colonel Christopher Truby, officer of the revolution, was located 150 yards to the south of this marker. A frontier Fort of Dunmore's War 1774, the Indian War, and the War of the Revolution, It was also known as Truby's . . . — Map (db m55584) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Irwin — The Beginning of the Lincoln Highway
The Lincoln Highway was the first coast-to-coast highway built in 1913. A group of visionary businessmen from the automotive industry, led by Henry B. Joy and Carl Fisher, formed the Lincoln Highway Association. The Association successfully . . . — Map (db m58075) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Latrobe — Twelve Mile Camp
George Washington in 1758 set up a camp a mile north of this point while building Forbes Road. In 1774 Fort Shippen was built at the same site. — Map (db m48079) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Fort Ligonier
Built here 1758 as a base of Forbes expedition. Under Colonel James Burd withstood French and Indian attack, October 22, 1758. Only small fort in West not taken in Pontiac's War, 1763, it made possible Bouquet's rescue of Fort Pitt. — Map (db m48073) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Original Course of Forbes Road1758
Throught Ligonier Valley to Fort Pitt — Map (db m68067) HM
Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Scottdale — Mammoth Mine Explosion
On January 27, 1891, an explosion in the nearby Mammoth Number 1 Mine of the H.C. Frick Coke Company killed 109 coal miners. Seventy-nine of the dead were buried in a mass grave here in Saint John's Cemetery. This disaster was the worst one known to . . . — Map (db m39964) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Shrewsbury — Amanda Berry Smith (1837-1915)
A renowned evangelist and singer, born a slave in Maryland. Her father bought the family's freedom, and they moved to a farm near here. While still a child she was converted at this church. She committed her life to missionary work and traveled in . . . — Map (db m4544) HM
Rhode Island (Washington County), Narragansett — Point Judith Light House
Wooden Light House Established 1810 Destroyed by storm September 17, 1815 / present tower built 1857 51 feet above ground - 65 feet above water Occulting white light - 15 second group / 17,300 candle power A tribute to the fishermen of . . . — Map (db m51914) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Letter From The Alamo
Commandancy of the Alamo, Bexar, Feby. 24th, 1836- To the people of Texas & all Americans in the world-- Fellow citizens and compatriots I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans and Santa Anna - I have sustained a . . . — Map (db m78329) HM
West Virginia (Hampshire County), Bloomery — Hampshire County / Virginia
Side A Hampshire County Oldest county; established by the Virginia Assembly, 1754. Formed from Frederick and Augusta. Lord Fairfax, owner, named it for the English shire of the same name. Ice Mountain and Hanging Rocks are among its . . . — Map (db m84798) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Glen Dale — Harriet B. Jones(b. 3 June 1856; d. 28 June 1943)
Born 3 June 1856, in 1885 was first licensed woman physician in state; opened private practice then hospital in Wheeling, 1892. Jones was active in temperance and women's suffrage; and promoted establishment of state sanitariums in Terra Alta & . . . — Map (db m57247) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Mason-Dixon Line
Made famous as line between free and slave states before War Between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began, 1763; halted by Indian wars, 1767; continued to southwest corner, 1782; marked, 1784. — Map (db m73800) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Paw Paw — Paw Paw
Important concentration point of the Union Army from 1861 to 1865. As many as 16,000 Federal troops were encamped here at one time. A blockhouse stood along the tracks of the B&O Railroad at this point. — Map (db m449) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Camp CarlileUnion Camp at Wheeling Island — The First Campaign
first paragraph On the morning of May 14, 1861, the companies of Capt. Andrew H. Britt and Edward W. Stephens marched across the Wheeling Suspension Bridge to Wheeling Island. They settled into camp on the northwestern corner of the . . . — Map (db m92543) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Washingtons
Nearby are buried Lawrence Augustine Washington, his wife, Dorcas, and daughter, Emma Tell. Lawrence was the son of Samuel Washington, youngest brother of General Washington. Part of their original home is standing. — Map (db m57256) HM
West Virginia (Wetzel County), New Martinsville — Adena Burial Mound
Adena burial mound, of Woodland Period, 1000BC~AD700, flooded ca. 1890 by new Ohio River dams. Ohio Valley was a center of the Adena culture (Mound Builders). Thousands of burial mounds along river seemed like natural terrain to early settlers. . . . — Map (db m64099) HM
West Virginia (Wetzel County), New Martinsville — New Martinsville
Settled by Edward Doolin who was killed here by Indians in 1785. Named for Presley Martin. Here stands a monument to Levi Morgan, a scout for the army of General St. Clair. He was a noted Indian fighter who killed 100. — Map (db m80250) HM

1596 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1396
Paid Advertisement