Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

633 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 433
 
Map of The Battle of Natural Bridge Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, December 31, 1993
Map of The Battle of Natural Bridge Marker
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — "The Great Endurance Run"
On November 23, 1909, the "Autoists" participating in "The Great Endurance Run" were treated to a gala banquet and overnight stay at "The White House Hotel" which was located at this exact site. This event ended the first day of driving for the . . . — Map (db m68316) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-809 — Alachua General Hospital
Historic Alachua General Hospital (AGH) stood on this site for nearly 82 years. A county or community-supported venture for much of its history, the hospital served the needs of Alachua County citizens for generations as a respected health care . . . — Map (db m93167) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-679 — Old Stage Road
The Old Stage Road, one of Alachua County’s original highways, passed near here. Dating from the 1820s, it connected the county’s two major towns, Newnansville (once the county seat near present day Alachua) and Micanopy to the south. The road . . . — Map (db m67689) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-705 — Serenola Plantation
(side 1) In 1857, David Rogerson Williams II (1822-1907) of Darlington Co., SC, purchased 1,000 acres, including this site bordering Paynes Prarie, and developed them as a plantation known as "Serenola." The 1860 census shows 120 slaves . . . — Map (db m67687) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — F-645 — The Gainesville Servicemen's Center / Thelma Boltin Center
The Gainesville Serviceman's Center The City of Gainesville purchased the Servicemen’s Center lot on December 7th 1942. The Federal Works Agency constructed a $37,000 building with a ballroom, stage, dressing rooms, second floor reading . . . — Map (db m67690) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Micanopy — F-75 — William Bartram Trail1739 ~ 1823
The great Quaker naturalist of Philadelphia made a long journey through the southeastern states in the 1770's collecting botanical specimens. In May, 1774, he visited the Seminole Chief, Cowkeeper, at the Indian village of Cuscowilla located near . . . — Map (db m48676) HM
Florida (Baker County), Sanderson — F-18 — Camp at Sanderson
This site was used by both Union and Confederate soldiers as a camp during the campaign of 1864. The camp was used as a Confederate supply depot but it was abandoned on February 9, 1864. From the 9th to the 13th, it was held by Federals and used as . . . — Map (db m54604) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Melbourne Beach — F-750 — The Ryckman House
One of the first homes in Melbourne Beach, the Ryckman House was built in 1890 for Jacob Fox by Captain Rufus W. Beaujean. Both men were original investors in the Melbourne Beach Company, later named the Melbourne Beach Improvement Company. The . . . — Map (db m93164) HM
Florida (Brevard County), Titusville — Titusville Negro School
Following temporary sites on Washington Avenue in 1883 and Dummitt Avenue in 1886, the Titusville Negro School was located on this site in 1915; it housed grades 1-8. The original building was burned in 1931, and a new eight-classroom frame building . . . — Map (db m67691) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Homosassa Springs — F-696 — Florida Boom Sidewalk
The wide sidewalks of Homosassa Springs are a reminder of the 1920s Florida Land Boom in Citrus County. In 1924, at the height of the boom, the Florida West Coast Development Company bought several thousand acres in what is now Homosassa Springs and . . . — Map (db m67594) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Inverness — Fort Cooper
Fort Cooper was constructed in April 1836 during the Second Seminole War. General Winfield Scott instructed the First Georgia Battalion of Volunteers under the leadership of Major Mark Anthony Cooper to build two bastions and a blockhouse on the . . . — Map (db m93258) HM
Florida (Dixie County), Cross City — F-580 — Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ
This church, built in 1929, was originally a wood-framed structure and the first church erected in the African-American community of Cross City. The architectural character was retained when it was remodeled and enlarged in 1942. The hand-made . . . — Map (db m67597) HM WM
Florida (Dixie County), Old Town — F-535 — Fletcher Community
The Fletcher Community was established when Dixie County was part of Lafayette County and both were part of their parent county, Madison. In the early 1850s Fletcher families and other families emigrated south from the Carolinas through Georgia, . . . — Map (db m67595) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-827 — American Revolutionary War Battle of Thomas CreekMay 17, 1777
In May 1777, 400 soldiers from the Continental Army and 165 members of the Georgia militia organized in Sunbury, Georgia, just north of the Florida border for an expedition into British East Florida in retaliation for raids conducted by British . . . — Map (db m93071) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-790 — Centennial Hall Edward Waters College
Founded in 1866, Edward Waters College (EWC) is the oldest historically black college in Florida. The history of the college is closely tied to the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church. In 1865, the Reverend Charles H. Pearch, a presiding elder . . . — Map (db m93073) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-150 — Duval County's First Court
Duval County, established August 12, 1822, and named for William Pope DuVal, Florida's first civil governor, held its first court on December 1, 1823. Some 200 settlers gathered at the corner of Market and Forsyth Sts. to watch the session presided . . . — Map (db m92951) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Frederick W. Bruce
Captain Frederick W. Bruce, for whom Bruce Park is named, was born in New Hampshire in 1856. In 1869 young Bruce was sent to live with his uncle Elisha Bruce in St. Augustine, Florida, but that same year, at age 13, ran away to sea, an adventure . . . — Map (db m93090) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Jacksonville And The Movie Industry
Though originally centered around the Theater District of New York City, silent film production companies soon discovered New England winters too harsh for year-round filming. In the winter of 1908 cast and crew of the production company Kalem . . . — Map (db m93088) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-742 — Old Brewster Hospital
Built in 1885 as a private residence, Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was the first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community. Located in the LaVilla neighborhood, the hospital opened in 1901 through the . . . — Map (db m93261) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Old Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Home1893-1938
Confederate Plot Section Six is the final resting place for the Confederate Veterans who resided at the Old Soldiers and Sailors Home, a refuge for aged and disabled Veterans. The Florida Soldiers Home Association was formed in 1888 with . . . — Map (db m57549) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-774 — Oriental Gardens
Located two miles from downtown Jacksonville, south of Craig Creek in San Marco, Oriental Gardens charmed Jacksonville visitors and residents for nearly two decades. In 1925, George W. Clark began planting overflow from his botanical collection on a . . . — Map (db m93100) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-842 — Sawpit Bluff Plantation
Side 1 Sawpit Bluff Plantation, located on Black Hammock Island, was built in the 1750s by Edmund Gray. The plantation was named for the sawpit excavated to accommodate the up and down motion of a vertical saw blade. The plantation house . . . — Map (db m92973) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — Seminole War Blockhouse Site
Here stood the blockhouse erected for the defense of the settlers against the Indians during the Seminole War 1835-1842 — Map (db m70535) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-853 — St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church
This original sanctuary of the St. Joseph Missionary Baptist Church is one of the few remaining institutional buildings directly associated with the old community of Hansontown. Originally a farming cooperative established for black Union soldiers, . . . — Map (db m92954) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville — F-777 — Villa Alexandria
Villa Alexandria, built in the 1870s as the winter home of Alexander and Martha Mitchell of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, once stood near here. Martha Mitchell's brother, Harrison Reed, served as Florida Governor from 1868-73 and lived nearby on the south . . . — Map (db m93119) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F-758 — American Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Corps and Station
In 1912, following the drowning of a prominent citizen, Dr. Lyman Haskell and Clarence MacDonald established and trained Florida’s first U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps (VLSC) at this location to protect the lives of bathers on Jacksonville Beach . . . — Map (db m93262) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F- 293 — Doolittle's 1922 Record Flight
Aviation pioneers were attracted to Northeast Florida's hard, wide beaches. Pablo Beach, as Jacksonville Beach was known until 1925, served as takeoff or terminal point for several early coast-to-coast flights. The first of these, in 1912, required . . . — Map (db m57600) HM
Florida (Duval County), Jacksonville Beach — F-305 — First Settlers At Ruby, Florida
In 1883 construction of the Jacksonville and Atlantic Railroad was begun to serve this undeveloped area. The track was narrow-gauge, running 16.54 miles from the south bank of the St. Johns River to the beach. The first settlers were William Edward . . . — Map (db m57599) HM
Florida (Gadsden County), Mt. Pleasant — F-244 — Joshua Davis House
Side 1 In the 1820's, settlers from Georgia, South Carolina and other states came to the new United States Territory of Florida in search of land to homestead. One such frontiersman was Thomas Dawsey, who by 1824 was residing in the . . . — Map (db m79449) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — F-510 — Chinsegut Hill
In 1842, South Carolinian Bird M. Pearson staked a claim on 160 acres and called it Mount Airy, one of the few surviving plantations in Florida and one of the oldest houses in Hernando County. Pearson built the manor house's east wing in 1847 and . . . — Map (db m67006) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Brooksville — Saint Stanislaus ChapelEstablished 1915
The first St. Stanislaus Church was built here in 1915 by a small group of Polish farmers who had purchased land in this area of Hernando County in an effort to begin a new community. Priests from St. Leo Abbey would come out once a month to . . . — Map (db m37326) HM
Florida (Hernando County), Weeki Wachee — Bayport
The interior of Central Florida opened for settlement by whites in the mid-1840s following the end of the Second Seminole War. In the absence of roads and railroads, coastal and inland waterways provided the transportation routes essential to . . . — Map (db m67109) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Gordon Keller
Gordon Keller was a beloved citizen of Tampa -- City official, merchant, civic leader, friend -- from 1883 until his death, July 10, 1909. A grief-stricken community subscribed funds to build "a permanent monument" to him, and Gordon Keller Memorial . . . — Map (db m69977) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Most Holy Name1920-1975
The Jesuits organized Most Holy Name parish in 1920 to serve Ybor City's Italian community. On Christmas 1922, Father Vicente Dente celebrated the first mass at Most Holy Name Church, located in the 2300 block, between 7th and 8th Avenues. The . . . — Map (db m56303) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Fellsmere — F-766 — Fellsmere Union Church
(side 1) Fellsmere Union Church, located at 12 North Hickory Street, is the first and oldest church in the City of Fellsmere. The Reverend James A. Liggitt, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church of London, Ohio, and a property owner in . . . — Map (db m93260) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Fellsmere — F-707 — The Fellsmere Public School
(side 1) The Fellsmere Public School, the first masonry school building in what is now Indian River County, was constructed during 1915 and 1916 at 22 South Orange Street. The 22,680 square foot, two-story school with a raised basement was . . . — Map (db m93265) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Fellsmere — F-725 — The Fellsmere Railroad
The standard-gauge Fellsmere Railroad was completed in 1910 with 60 lb. rail to replace the old Sebastian & Cincinnatus narrow-gauge railroad built in 1896 between Sebastian and Fellsmere. The Fellsmere Farms Company used the 10-mile-long railroad . . . — Map (db m93266) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Fellsmere — F-693 — The Marian Fell Library
The Merian Fell Library, the oldest library in Indian River County, opened its doors to the public on May 1, 1915 at 63 North Cypress Street, Fellsmere, Florida. Construction of the library was made possible by Marian Fell, daughter of Edward Nelson . . . — Map (db m93264) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Sebastian — Moore's Point
This point of land at the junction of the St. Sebastian River and the Indian River was once settled by aboriginal people, the Ais. Pottery shards and ancient shells can still be found along the shore. In 1889, L.C. Moore built the . . . — Map (db m93121) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Sebastian — F-813 — Roseland
The Ays Indians lived along the confluence of the St. Sebastian and the Indian River (Rio d'ays) when the Spanish arrived in the 1500s. For hundreds of years after that, settlements in the Indian River area were restricted to the coastal areas where . . . — Map (db m93109) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-812 — Baseball and Dodgertown
Dodgertown was the spring training facility of the Brooklyn/Los Angeles Dodgers. Originally part of a World War II Naval Air Station, Dodgertown became the spring training home of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1948, when local business leader Bud Holman . . . — Map (db m93122) HM
Florida (Indian River County), Vero Beach — F-815 — Osceola Park Historic Residential District
Osceola Park was one of the first residential subdivisions added to the town of Vero Beach and contains the city's largest concentration of early 20th century buildings. In 1915 and 1917, the Indian River Farms Company, who had platted the original . . . — Map (db m93120) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Campbellton — First Baptist Church
Bethlehem Missionary Church was established March 12, 1825 with twenty charter members and Rev. E.W. Hallway Pastor. Landowners, slaves and the poor were all in the fellowship of the church. In 1826 ten acres of land was bought for $50 to build a . . . — Map (db m93105) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Greenwood — Erwin House
The house was built in the 1830's by John A. Syfrett. It is likely the oldest residence in Jackson County. It faces Fort Road, believed to have been routed by Andrew Jackson. In 1861, it became the home of Colonel John M.F. Erwin and his wife, . . . — Map (db m67531) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Greenwood — Great Oaks
This antebellum mansion was built by Hamilton Bryan as a home for his mother in 1860 on the 5200 acre plantation established by his father, Elijah Bryan. Both of these men are buried in the Greenwood Baptist Church Cemetery. It was sold by their . . . — Map (db m67529) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Greenwood — Greenwood Baptist Church
According to existing minutes: On Sunday, March 16th, 1845, elders Joshua Mercer and Thomas Lang met and constituted Thomas K. Mercer, J.J. Mercer, Mary Mercer, his wife, Polly Mercer, William Mercer, Mary Syphrett, E.A.T. Mercer and Mary E. Horne . . . — Map (db m67530) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Cavalry Fight in Downtown MariannaThe Battle of Marianna
Union and Confederate troops battled for control of the downtown area as fighting swept east through the streets during the Battle of Marianna. A Union flanking party entered town from the north via Caledonia Street and moved east up Lafayette to . . . — Map (db m93108) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Davis-West House
This Marianna landmark was built by John Davis in the 1840's for his daughter, Rebecca Davis Spears. After the death of her husband, she married Dr. Theophilus West in 1859. Dr. West served as a surgeon in the Confederate Army and was with General . . . — Map (db m67534) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Ely-Criglar House
This two-story residence is one of Marianna's first great antebellum mansions, built by Francis R. Ely around 1840. The house was acquired in 1889 by Francis B. Carter, who later became Justice of the Supreme Court of Florida. In 1900 the house was . . . — Map (db m67540) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Fighting at Ely CornerThe Battle of Marianna
The main section of the Battle of Marianna began here at 11 a.m. on September 27, 1864. Confederate cavalry under Col. A.B. Montgomery formed a line of battle across the main street at this point. Union troops, led by Brig. Ben. Alexander Asboth, . . . — Map (db m93103) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — First Presbyterian Church
Presbyterians first worshipped in Marianna, Florida in 1835. The First Presbyterian Church in Marianna was established by nine women and one man, Bryan Erwin, the first ruling elder. It is recorded that Mr. Erwin came to Jackson County from Scotland . . . — Map (db m73942) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Lewis-Wykoff House
Built in 1840, this house was sold by Frances Towers to Isavelle, wife of Arthur Lewis, in 1847. Richard Lewis, creator of the popular patent medicine, Lewis Eye Water, was born here in 1849. In 1852-58, the owner was George Hawkins, Territorial . . . — Map (db m67533) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — St. Luke's Churchyard
Along with the Old Town Burial Ground, this cemetery shelters some of the noteworthy historical figures of the county. The Episcopal Church it surrounds, organized in 1838, is among the most historic in the state. Within its bounds may be found . . . — Map (db m68852) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Holden House
John de Roulhac and his wife, Martha Rasco, arrived in Jackson County in 1846. This house was built about that time. Their daughter, Clara, married Dr. Julius Holden here Sept. 22, 1859. Dr. Holden served in the Confederate Army. Legend says the . . . — Map (db m74189) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Woman's Club
The house was built in 1864 by Joseph T. Russ for his wife Mary. In 1881 it was deeded to his daughter, Luella Burke. It was sold in 1884 to Mary Hearn West. Harriet M. Hearn, mother of Mary West bought the house in 1890. In 1891 Theodore D. West . . . — Map (db m67518) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Sneads — Sneads
"He who drinks from this pump will always return" was the belief of the pioneer families of Sneads. This pump was built for the town of Sneads by Gabriel Smith in 1899 or 1900 and it is believed to be the second mechanical pump in the area. . . . — Map (db m67519) HM
Florida (Jefferson County), Monticello — F-683 — Elizabeth Elementary School
The Elizabeth School, a three-room, vernacular shingle-clad building, was a school for Black students on Groover Road in 1938 and was funded by parents and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Miles Edward Groover (1887-1966) and his wife, Daisy . . . — Map (db m67601) HM
Florida (Jefferson County), Monticello — F-681 — Howard Academy Elementary and Junior High School (Later Howard Academy High School) Second Street
This historic marker recognizes Howard Academy Elementary/Junior High School, which eventually became Howard Academy High School. In 1957, the first phase of Howard Academy Elementary and Junior High School was constructed on Second Street. The . . . — Map (db m67639) HM
Florida (Jefferson County), Monticello — F-682 — Howard Academy High School on Chestnut Street
Howard Academy High School's Building 1 opened on Chestnut Street in 1936 with one structure containing several classrooms. In 1940, a similar, second building was constructed and financed by the county, parents and The Julius Rosenwald Fund. . . . — Map (db m67656) HM
Florida (Lake County), Groveland — The History of Groveland High School
(Side 1) Constructed in 1937 during the Great Depression, Groveland High School, home of the Greenbacks, was built as part of the national Work Progress Administration (WPA) projects. The original building contained first through twelfth . . . — Map (db m67026) HM
Florida (Lake County), Groveland — F-354 — Villa City
On this site in 1885, George Thomas King, founder of Villa City, built an estate that was the showplace of the area. By 1895, the town had a post office, school, church, hotel, photographic studio, dispensary and 35 homes. The citrus based community . . . — Map (db m67024) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-143 — Battle of Natural BridgeMarch 6, 1865
Site of decisive repulse of Federal forces by Confederate Militia in joint U.S. Army and Navy Operation to take St. Marks. The Army landing at lighthouse was prevented from getting to rear of St. Marks by Confederate opposition at Newport and . . . — Map (db m13721) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Goodwood(2 miles east on Lafayette Grant)
Ante-bellum mansion constructed of brick shipped from New York to port of St. Marks. Completed in 1843. Fine fan lights and pleasing window placements. Circular stairway. Rare old furnishings. — Map (db m67031) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — Goodwood Mansion(Old Croom Mansion)
The land upon which Goodwood Mansion was constructed was part of the original land grant rewarded to the Marquis de Lafayette for his service during the Revolutionary War. Hardy Croom of North Carolina, a planter and recognized naturalist, purchased . . . — Map (db m67032) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-709 — The "Luraville Locomotive"
Its specific identity lost to time and the Suwannee River, the Luraville Locomotive is one of the nation's oldest "iron horse" steam locomotives. Most likely built between 1850 and 1855, the oft-modified 10-ton, wood-burning American 4-4-0 steam . . . — Map (db m67648) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-209 — The Mission Of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale
Side 1 In 1633, the province of Apalachee in Spanish Florida received its first full-time resident missionaries. The Franciscan Mission of San Pedro y San Pablo de Patale which was located about one hundred yards north of this marker was . . . — Map (db m79569) HM
Florida (Madison County), Greenville — Concord Missionary Baptist ChurchSite of the Founding of the Florida Baptist Convention
(side 1) For the glory of God, the church was constituted June 20, 1841. The charter members were: Richard J. and Eliza Mays; Joshua W.P. and Mary McCall; William T., Elizabeth and Harriet Johnson; black servants, Elbert, Phillis, . . . — Map (db m67604) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Shiloh Methodist Church
(side 1) To The Glory of The Most High God a group of Christians led by the Reverend John Gramling organized Shiloh Methodist Church here, December 24, 1845. Born in 1785 in South Carolina, the son of German Emigrants Adam and Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m67603) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-797 — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
The congregation of St. Mary's Episcopal Church was organized in 1859, but the parish became dormant during the Civil War when services were held irregularly. Twenty years later, on July 6, 1879, the congregation appointed a committee to coordinate . . . — Map (db m93267) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — The Ellaville Post OfficeFrontier Columbus on the Suwannee River
Established at Columbus, February 17, 1842, moved across the Suwannee to serve a Sawmill Complex, 1867, the office became Ellaville, 1872. Some postmasters were George F. Drew, 1867-1883, Robert L. Millinor, 1893-1912, Frederick Stroud, 1914-1922, . . . — Map (db m67606) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — Craig Sugar Mill Chimney
William Pinkston Craig, planter and native of Maryland, came to the Manatee River from Leon County, Florida in the early 1840s. Clearing an original 160 acres, he planted sugar cane and corn and built a sugar and grist mill. Its 45 ft. chimney of . . . — Map (db m92863) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — F-218 — Gamble Sugar Cane Mill
In 1842, as the Second Seminole War drew to a conclusion, Major Robert Gamble, Jr. established a sugar cane plantation along the banks of the Manatee River, as did others including Hector and Joseph Braden, William Craig and William Wyatt. By 1850 . . . — Map (db m67098) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — Site of Atwood Grove and Origin of World's 1st Pink Grapefruit /Grapefruit Introduced to Florida in 1846
Site of Atwood Grove and Origin of World's 1st Pink Grapefruit Across U.S. 301 stood the Kimball C. Atwood Grapefruit Grove and Manavista, a town that he founded in 1892 and encircled with 100 (mile-long) rows of trees. Here in 1913 grove . . . — Map (db m67097) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Palmetto — F-290 — Gillette Community
This area, known originally as Frog Creek, received its first American settlers before the Civil War. Many of them came from Alabama, northern Florida, and Georgia. Among the Georgians was Daniel Gillett, who brought his family to Frog Creek in the . . . — Map (db m67099) HM
Florida (Marion County), Dunnellon — F-4 — Site of the Discovery of Phosphate in Florida
One block to the south is the site of the discovery of hard rock phosphate in Florida by Albertus Vogt in 1889. It made Dunnellon a boom town and first center of the industry. The Tiger Rag, Early Bird and Eagle mines were among the most valuable. . . . — Map (db m67058) HM
Florida (Marion County), Ocala — Evergreen Cemetery
Reserved on July 8th, 1850, as the first public burial ground for Ocala. Here are graves of those who founded the County Seat, of others here during its early years, and of Confederate and Union veterans of the Civil War. Nearby are interred . . . — Map (db m66993) HM
Florida (Marion County), Ocala — Fort King Burying Ground
This marks the burying ground of the soldiers and civilians who died at Fort King during the Seminole War 1835-1842. Fort King occupied the hill to the north-east and was established as a military post in 1827. — Map (db m92978) HM
Florida (Martin County), Hobe Sound — F-57 — Jonathan Dickinson Shipwreck
Three miles to the east on September 23, 1696, the British barkentine Reformation foundered off Jupiter Island. The 24 survivors included a party of Quakers bound from Jamaica to Pennsylvania. Leader of the Quakers was Jonathan Dickinson who . . . — Map (db m14311) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Callahan — Historic Florida Railroad
The Florida Railroad was the state's first cross-peninsular railroad. David L. Yulee, a Florida resident and United States Senator, incorporated the Florida Railroad Company in 1853. Construction of the line began at Fernandina Beach in 1856 and was . . . — Map (db m92991) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-880 — First Home on American Beach
American Beach was established in January 1935 when the Afro-American Life Insurance Company purchased 33 acres of land with a 1000-foot shoreline. This Masonry Vernacular home was built that year for the president of the company, Abraham Lincoln . . . — Map (db m92952) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — Mount Olive Baptist Church
(side 1) Mount Olive Baptist Church in Nassauville, Florida was established in 1870 by the descendants of West African born, Sam Hooper, and his native American wife. Sam, (aka I. Hupue) who was over 100 years of age in 1864, was the . . . — Map (db m92956) HM
Florida (Nassau County), Fernandina Beach — F-846 — The Good Shepherd Church 1887-1966
In May 1887, the original wood frame building of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Fernandina was given to the black congregation and called Good Shepherd Episcopal Church. The structure was moved to face east on Ninth Street. The rectors of St. . . . — Map (db m92955) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — F-251 — Oldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida
Masonic Lodge No. 36 of the Grand Jurisdiction of Florida was established in 1856 and is still serving under a warrant issued that year. This building was erected here in 1859; the upper story has been continually used for lodge meetings. The . . . — Map (db m72418) HM
Florida (Orange County), Goldenrod — Gabriella
The small community of Gabriella was located on SR 426 about a mile north of Goldenrod, between Goldenrod and Jamestown. The post office was established on July 31, 1886. Sherman Adams was the first post master. The post office was located west . . . — Map (db m92962) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-838 — Eppes-Shine Plot Greenwood Cemetery
(side 1) Buried here are members of the Eppes and Shine families, descendants of President Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence and the Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom, and the father of the University . . . — Map (db m93096) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-808 — H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge
H. H. Dickson Azalea Park Dickson Azalea Park began as a natural stream, later named Fern Creek, in a deep ravine surrounded by native ferns, palms, and oaks. It once was a watering hole for cattle herders driving their animals south. State . . . — Map (db m93268) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-806 — Jack Kerouac House
Writer Jack Kerouac (1922-1969) lived and wrote in this 1920s tin-roofed house between 1957 and 1958. It was here that Kerouac received instant fame for publication of his bestselling book, On the Road, which brought him acclaim and . . . — Map (db m93196) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Orlando's First Settler, Aaron Jernigan
Aaron Jernigan moved to what is now Orlando in 1843 after the passage of the Armed Occupation Act of 1842 that opened vast areas of Florida for settlement. According to the law, one could move onto land at least two miles from an established . . . — Map (db m73676) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-859 — The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke
Francis Wayles Eppes, grandson of President Thomas Jefferson, moved from Tallahassee to Orlando in 1869. Eppes was the first pioneer to gather Episcopal settlers in the area for worship. They purchased this site at the corner of Jefferson Street, so . . . — Map (db m93070) HM
Florida (Orange County), Windermere — F-867 — 1887 Windermere Schoolhouse
Opened in 1887, this structure is the only surviving one-room school house in Orange County, and one of the few still standing in Florida. The Frame Vernacular building, capped with a metal roof, was communally constructed using locally milled . . . — Map (db m93069) HM
Florida (Orange County), Winter Garden — F-861 — Winter Garden Downtown Historic District
On this corner, farmers built a small wooden train station soon after the Orange Belt Railroad reached the area in 1886. By 1899, the Taveres & Gulf Railroad constructed a second rail line and depot nearby. Wooden stores rose alongside the parallel . . . — Map (db m93068) HM
Florida (Palm Beach County), Canal Point — F-312 — Conners’ Toll Highway
Prior to 1923, travel into or out of the Lake Okeechobee Area was accomplished only by boat or canoe. In the early 1920’s, W. J. Conner, a New York winter visitor bought 4000 acres of undeveloped muck land near this site. Development required that . . . — Map (db m91951) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Aripeka — Aripeka Historic District
Several families settled here in 1886, establishing the community now known as Aripeka. It was named for the Aripeka Saw Mills Corporation which had adopted the name of an early 19th century Seminole leader. Originally located in Hernando County, . . . — Map (db m67108) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Dade City Grammar School
Erected in 1926 as the Florida Land Boom ended, this Collegiate Gothic style building was financed by bonds of Special Tax School District No. 7. In 1934 it was conveyed to the Pasco County Board of Public Instruction. Renamed in 1973 in memory . . . — Map (db m67637) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Former St. Rita's Catholic Church
This example of pioneer-style church architecture was constructed in 1915. The bell tower was added in 1920. The church served the St. Rita congregation until 1976 when the Dade City Garden Club moved it to the present site for renovation and use as . . . — Map (db m67638) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Jones' Nursing Home
Otis E. and Naomi Scott Jones moved to Dade City in the late 1930s and soon became prominent members of the community and St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church, where they served as deacon and deaconess. Nearby Naomi Jones Pyracantha Park, which Mrs. . . . — Map (db m67682) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church
Organized in the late 1800s at Lake Buddy, this congregation moved into Dade City and became known as Mount Zion AME Church. In 1903, with 29 members, a frame meeting house was built. It was later modified to serve as the parsonage. The present . . . — Map (db m67654) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Pasadena Church
This sole remaining public landmark of the town of Pasadena was built in the 1880's and, like the nearby Lakeview Highlands Hotel, served as a social center in a citrus growing community noted for its wealth until the "Great Freeze" of 1895. The . . . — Map (db m67635) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Site of Old Fort Dade
This is the site of Old Fort Dade built in 1835 and dedicated to Major Francis Dade — Map (db m67111) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Organized in 1891, St. Mary's originally served Anglican settlers at Lake Pasadena. Its first resident priest, the Rev. James Neville-Thompson, was ordained there in 1892. After the "Great Freeze" in 1895 the building fell into disuse, while . . . — Map (db m67651) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade City — Townsend House Church & Cemetery
Captain John Townsend and his wife, Nancy, brought their family and slaves to this area from North Florida in the late 1840's. The log home they built became the center of a pioneer community and a refuge from unfriendly Indians. After 1865 when the . . . — Map (db m67631) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Dade Cty — Blanton Methodist Church
This church was built in 1906 by Will Heacock and Tom Jordan on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Blocker. The pioneer congregation which worshipped at Mt. Olive Church on the Dowling Place about a mile away had decided it was too far from . . . — Map (db m67692) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Elfers — Old Elfers School
Built 1914 of limerock white brick faced with red clay brick, this oldest two-story building of such construction in western Pasco County has served generations of school children and was used for many area activities before its renovation in 1979 . . . — Map (db m67095) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Elfers — The Baker House
Samuel and Elizabeth Pinder Baker built this "Cracker" house in 1882. A sponge hooker of mariner lineage who owned land at Baillie's Bluff, he gave it a nautical touch as well as the traditional "Dog Trot" hall through the center. Vertical wall . . . — Map (db m67101) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Elfers — West Elfers Cemetery
As part of the Baillie Settlement, a congregation of Methodists and Baptists established a Union Church and cemetery on this site, ca. 1876. In March 1877, the church conducted the first burial with the interment of Peter K. Baillie, pioneer settler . . . — Map (db m67107) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Hudson — Hudson Cemetery
This burial ground was established by the family of Isaac W. and Amanda Hudson who settled the Hudson community, originally know as Hudson's Landing. First burial was that of their daughter Melissa in 1878. This rugged pioneer family came to Florida . . . — Map (db m67068) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Hudson — Vereen Methodist Episcopal Church, School and Cemetery
A church and cemetery were established here in the 1880s. Stephen P. Douglas, who died in 1889, is the earliest marked burial. In 1890, Abraham and Susanna Bellamy donated the land to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in memory of her . . . — Map (db m67069) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Land O' Lakes — Dupree Gardens
Developed by Tampa Attorney J. Wm. Dupree, the gardens opened to the public on December 1, 1940. The attraction consisted of 900 acres of flowering trees and plants and included a lodge and a tearoom with gift shop. It also featured electric powered . . . — Map (db m67646) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Land O' Lakes — Ehren African American Community / Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery
Ehren African American Community The Ehren Pine Company sawmill employed a large number of local African Americans, many of whom lived in company housing. Others worked in agriculture and for the railroad. Serving the spiritual needs . . . — Map (db m67640) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Land O' Lakes — Ehren Community
Named by sawmill owners Frederick and Louis Muller, Ehren means "place of honor" in their native German language. Its post office opened Jan. 17, 1890 and closed in 1950. Burned and rebuilt several times, the post office was once listed in . . . — Map (db m67650) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Land O' Lakes — Fivay Junction - Greenfield - Tucker Cemetery and Community
This cemetery was established about 1900 on land donated by A.O. Pierce. Marked burials date from 1912. A structure which served as church and public school has since disappeared. The surrounding community has been variously known as "Fivay . . . — Map (db m67634) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Land O' Lakes — Loyce Cemetery
The Gillett-Loyce Cemetery is named for David Gillett, the land owner, and the early nearby settlement, Loyce, in 1898. Mr. Gillett donated the one-acre site in memory of his dear wife, Rosa. Among those buried here are veterans of the War Between . . . — Map (db m67060) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Moon Lake Gardens and Dude Ranch
Development of this former 9,000 acre sportsman's paradise was begun in 1933 by Ed Haley's Moon Lake Company. It opened in 1937, complete with bridle paths, native and exotic trees, flowers and shrubs, and plenty of game and fish. The lodge, casino . . . — Map (db m67620) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Moon Lake Gardens Stone Barn
Constructed of native limerock in the early 1930s, this stone barn is one remaining structure of Ed Haley's Moon Lake Gardens and Dude Ranch. This barn served some thirty Kentucky bred horses for the guests' pleasure and is said to have housed the . . . — Map (db m67625) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church
Formerly located on Washington Street, this first permanent home for the parish was dedicated on March 9, 1919, although Mass had been celebrated since 1913 in temporary locations by priests from Saint Leo Abbey. Father Felix Ullrich, OSB, was its . . . — Map (db m67094) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Pine Hill Cemetery
This burial ground was established in 1916 by ladies of the New Port Richey Civic Club in a 2.2 acre site donated by George R. Sims. The first interment was that of Clifford E. Freels in 1917. On September 26, 1917, the Pine Hill Cemetery . . . — Map (db m67071) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Seven Springs
Early residents of this area were Samuel H. Stevenson and his wife, Elizabeth, who believed in the therapeutic benefits of the mineral springs now known as Seven Springs. It became somewhat of a health resort after Stevenson created a pool by . . . — Map (db m67645) HM
Florida (Pasco County), New Port Richey — Sims Park
Originally named Enchantment Park, it was renamed December 16, 1924, to honor George R. Sims, early developer of New Port Richey and donor of the park and clubhouse. His wife, Marjorie, was the first Chasco Fiesta queen. The Civic Club, organized . . . — Map (db m67072) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Odessa — Odessa
Odessa was named by Peter Demens, the developer of the Orange Belt Railway, in 1888. An emigrant from Russia, he named both this community and St. Petersburg for cities in his native land. The town had approximately 2000 residents at the height . . . — Map (db m67641) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Port Richey — Oelsner Mound
This Indian mound is all that remains of a late Weeden Island period community, probably settled about A.D. 1000 and inhabited for several hundred years. Excavations conducted in 1879 by S.T. Walker for the Smithsonian Institution indicated this was . . . — Map (db m67070) HM
Florida (Pasco County), San Antonio — Lake Jovita Club
(side 1) Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club incorporates the site of W.E. Currie's Lake Jovita Club of the 1920s and 30s. Gene Sarazen, a leading professional golfer of that era, considered the course-designed by Stiles & VanKleete-one of . . . — Map (db m67629) HM
Florida (Pasco County), San Antonio — Prospect Community
Once home to the Eufaula Indians, Prospect Community, also known as Gaskin Settlement, was west of Lake Buddy and Lake Pasadena. In 1842, Jacob Wells was the first recorded settler in the area. His sister, Elizabeth Jane Osburn, and her . . . — Map (db m67630) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Trilby — Trilby Cemetery
Serving the community of Trilby--previously known as McLeod Settlement then Macon--the first burials in this cemetery were probably made not long after the McLeod family settled east of here in the 1870s. The earliest marked graves are in the . . . — Map (db m67684) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Trilby — Trilby Methodist Church
Organized by the Rev. T.H. Sistrunk in 1897 and built by the 12 charter members a year later, this original frame church and steeple of pioneer design has long been a center of community activities. Moved from near the railroad coalchute to the . . . — Map (db m67694) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Wesley Chapel — Wesley Chapel
(side 1) The pioneer Boyett(e), Gillett(e), Godwin, and Kersey families received land grants in the area in the 1840s. The real influx of settlers, however, began around the War Between the States when the Stanleys and Coopers arrived. . . . — Map (db m67673) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Zephyrhills — GAR Hall
Union Civil War veterans and townspeople constructed this largest frame building in the county about 1910 as a meeting place for Garfield Post 39, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), and a community center. The city, as requested by Women's Relief . . . — Map (db m93009) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Zephyrhills — Hercules Powder Company Camp #39
The Hercules Powder Company Camp No. 39 was established on this site in September 1946. It was an eighty acre tract with sixty to seventy company built pre-fabricated homes rented to employees for four dollars per room per month; some employees . . . — Map (db m93006) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Zephyrhills — Oakside Cemetery
Deeded by Zephyrhills Colony Co. to the Oakside Cemetery Association in November 1911 this hallowed tract is the burying ground of veterans of six wars in which the United States of America has been involved -- the Civil War, Spanish-American War, . . . — Map (db m93007) HM
Florida (Pasco County), Zephyrhills — Zephyrhills Army Airfield
Constructed as part of a group of state and WPA projects, major expansion of the airfield began in 1941 when it became home to U.S. Army Air Corps training facilities in preparation for WWII. It was in full operation by 1943, providing advanced . . . — Map (db m93004) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Clearwater — First Public School1854
Near this site was located the first public supported school within the present limits of the City of Clearwater. Known as the Taylor Schoolhouse, erected in 1854. The surnames of the pupils included Taylor, Turner, McMullen, Henderson, Johnson, . . . — Map (db m67061) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Dunedin — F-672 — Dunedin Isles Golf Club
At the peak of the 1920s “land boom,” Dunedin Isles Golf Club was built to attract new residents to the City of Dunedin. Scotsman Donald Ross, one of the world’s foremost golf course architects, visited the site and designed the golf . . . — Map (db m67685) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Gulfport — F-511 — Stetson University College of LawFlorida's First Law School
Built as the Hotel Rolyat in 1925, these Mediterranean Revival buildings originally were designed by Paul Reed of the Miami architectural firm of Kiehnel & Elliot for developer Jack Taylor. In 1929, after the collapse of the Florida land boom, the . . . — Map (db m68134) HM
Florida (Pinellas County), Pinellas Park — Pioneering Pinellas Park
This area surrounding Pinellas Park's original train station has been a hub of activity since P.J. McDevitt arrived in 1909 to grow sugar cane. In 1912 one of Pinellas Park's pioneers, Walter Bender, built his home in the area now known as Davis . . . — Map (db m68136) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — "Flatiron" Triangle BuildingCirca 1912
Because this building occupies a corner position on a triangular shaped lot, it has been historically referred to as the "flatiron" building, deriving its nickname from the triangular shaped electric clothing press irons popularized in the 1920's. . . . — Map (db m93173) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Auburndale City Hall1927
The City of Auburndale was incorporated in 1911 and obtained a $60,000 bond in 1926 to construct a new city hall. Four proposed sites were presented as possible locations for the building until, after some indecisions, the City purchased a lot from . . . — Map (db m93171) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Bayard Retail BuildingCirca 1926
Ephraim M. Baynard built several commercial buildings and at least two residences in the City of Auburndale. Following a great fire in 1915 that destroyed the business district of Auburndale, Baynard eventually rebuilt his commercial building . . . — Map (db m93170) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — City's First Fire EngineChief James A. Hancock Jr. Building
This 1925 American LaFrance fire engine with its polished wooden bed and steering wheel, rare Italian tires and black leather seat was delivered to the City of Auburndale on June 23, 1925 via freight train. The City's first fire engine stayed in . . . — Map (db m93176) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Ephraim M. Baynard House1894
Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned . . . — Map (db m93193) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Ephraim M. Baynard House1894
Ephraim M. Baynard, born in South Carolina in 1861, arrived in Auburndale soon after its founding. By 1893, he owned one of the general stores in the community and acreage planted in citrus and tomatoes. As a highly successful grower, Baynard owned . . . — Map (db m93194) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Patterson Retail BuildingCirca 1916
Nearly all of the early commercial buildings in Auburndale were constructed from wood. As a result, three fires destroyed the heart of Auburndale's business sector in 1912, 1913, and 1915. The fire of 1913 was magnified by a great explosion that . . . — Map (db m93174) HM
Florida (Polk County), Auburndale — Seaboard Air Line Rail Depot1927
The Seaboard Air Line Rail and the Atlantic Coast Line Rail played a major role in the development of the City of Auburndale, intersecting each other in the City and bringing passengers and commerce from around the State and Country to central . . . — Map (db m93175) HM
Florida (Polk County), Dundee — F-458 — The Railroad in Dundee History
The Dundee Passenger Depot, built ca. 1912, was the first depot on the Haines City to Sebring Line of The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. Most of Dundee’s early growth can be attributed to the railroad. With the advent of the railroad, the . . . — Map (db m93192) HM
Florida (Polk County), Homeland — F-719 — Historic Kissengen Spring
Historic Kissengen Spring is located approximately one mile north of this location. At one time the spring discharged up to 20 million gallons of water a day into the Peace River. The spring’s pool was 200 feet in diameter and reached a depth of 17 . . . — Map (db m67655) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-414 — The Women's Club of Lakeland59 Lake Morton Drive
The Women’s Club of Lakeland was organized in 1912. In 1923 the club purchased this property as the site for its clubhouse. W.B.Talley, a Lakeland architect, designed this colonial revival building in 1927 and in 1928 construction was completed by . . . — Map (db m67657) HM
Florida (Polk County), Winter Haven — F-675 — Florence Villa Training School1924-1925
The Florence Villa Training School for Negroes replaced an earlier African-American school built in 1916 on the corner of 2nd and Palmetto Street. By 1922 the first school was in disrepair and classes were held at the Colored Methodist Episcopal . . . — Map (db m93191) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Interlachen — F-844 — Lincoln Lane Schoolhouse
The Lincoln Lane school is a historic reminder of segregation in Putnam County. Built in 1938 at a cost "not to exceed $600," the one-room schoolhouse served African American children from grades 1 through 6. Compared with white schools operating in . . . — Map (db m93081) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Welaka — Mount Royal
Panel 1: Mount Royal Mount Royal is an ancient American Indian site that includes the burial mound beyond this display, as well a the remains of a Spanish mission and associated village. The mound was built around 1,000 years ago by . . . — Map (db m93077) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Welaka — F-299 — The Mount Royal Site
Indians constructed the mound and earthworks of this site between A.D. 1250 and 1500. They built the mound as a place to bury their dead, and it grew in phases. When Clarence B. Moore excavated portions of the mound in the 1890s, he discovered . . . — Map (db m93075) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Avondale
In December 1913, Oscar and Alice Burton joined real estate developer and future Sarasota mayor Arthur B. Edwards (1914-1915 and 1920-1921) and his wife Fannie in selling the land south of Hudson Bayou to the Sarasota Improvement Company. In . . . — Map (db m92861) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Indian Beach
(side 1) 5,000 years ago, prehistoric Indians seasonally came to these shore, drawn by freshwater springs, bays teeming with fish and shellfish, and woods rich with game. By 1000 A.D. their middens, ceremonial mounds, and a village plaza . . . — Map (db m60327) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — Oaklands/Woodlawn Cemetery
The Florida Mortgage and Investment Company deeded five acres in 1905 to Trustees John Mays, Willis G.P. Washington, Lewis Colson, Campbell Mitchell and J.P. Carter for a "colored" cemetery. The land was platted in 1910 as Oaklands Cemetery. For . . . — Map (db m92862) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Sarasota — The Wallendas
The Wallenda circus troupe originated in Germany, where its members developed a daring highwire act. Early in their careers they achieved some fame touring with different circuses in Europe, but Karl Wallenda became convinced that circus . . . — Map (db m92848) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Altamonte Springs — Orange Belt Railway
The Seminole Wekiva Trail has been built for the most part on the roadbed of the Orange Belt Railway. This railroad was the lifeline of the area from Sanford to Lake Apopka from 1885 through the early part of the 20th century. Starting at Lake . . . — Map (db m92969) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Apopka — Forest City
The earliest settlers in this area arrived circa 1875. Among these settlers were Swedish families who relocated here from Sanford after their obligations to Gen. Sanford were met. It was known as Forest City by the time the area was platted in . . . — Map (db m92972) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Casselberry — Concord Cemetery
Three trustees established the Concord Church and Burying Ground on this site in 1885: Eliza Hartley, Georgia Hartley, and Caroline Lewis. Before that time, it is said that soldiers and Seminoles were buried here during the Seminole Wars. The . . . — Map (db m92977) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Chuluota — Chuluota
The name Chuluota, probably of Indian derivation, should be pronounced Chu' le o tah. The late Josie Jacobs Prevatt wrote: "Soon after the close of the Civil War several families residing in Whitesville, N.C. decided to move to Florida." Nine . . . — Map (db m92966) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Geneva — Fort Lane
The Second Seminole Indian War, 1837-1841 was fought by the United States to drive the Seminole Indians from the peninsula of Florida. From his main base at Fort Mellon (Sanford) on Lake Monroe General Jesup, Army of the South Commander, proposed . . . — Map (db m93012) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Geneva — King Philipstown/Osceola
(side 1) Here, where the St. Johns River emerges from near-by Lake Harney, stands a shell mound complex significant to the history and pre-history of Seminole County. The mound has been examined by anthropologists Daniel Britton in the . . . — Map (db m93040) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Lake Mary — Belair Historical Marker
(side 1) Belair, located between Crystal Lake and what later became known as Belair Station, a signal stop on the South Florida Railroad, was a 400 acre portion of the original 12,000 acre grant acquired by General Henry S. Sanford in . . . — Map (db m93061) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Lake Mary — First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary
(side 1) In 1894, under the leadership of Rev. J.F. Sundell, a group of Lake Mary's founding fathers joined to form a community church. Gathering signatures of other early residents, a petition was signed and submitted by Reverend Sundell . . . — Map (db m93063) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Lake Mary — Lake Mary Historic Sites
1. Site of first store. West side of Second St. between Lake Mary Ave and Grand Bend Ave. Circa 1890 2. Site of A. E. Sjoblom general merchandise store. Between Crystal Lake Ave and South Florida Railroad at First St. Circa late 1800 3. Site of . . . — Map (db m92993) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Longwood — Historic Longwood/E.W. Henck
(side 1) Mr. E.W. Henck, a young man from Boston, arrived in this wilderness section of then Orange County in November 1872. He selected a site to homestead in what is now Historic Longwood. Intent on establishing a town, he named it . . . — Map (db m92975) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Longwood — Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House
(side 1) Tourism in Central Florida began during the 1880's when the South Florida Railroad connected Sanford with Orlando. By 1886, direct rail service from the North brought wealthy winter tourists to luxury hotels and private winter . . . — Map (db m92976) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Oviedo — Jamestown
(side 1) The name "JAMESTOWN" is a tribute to Benjamin and Esther James. The James' homesteaded about 1900 on 160 acres in the area known as "The Woods" on the northern edge of the settlement of Gabriella. Mr. Ben James built a home and . . . — Map (db m92964) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Oviedo — Lake Jesup
(side 1) The Oviedo area was first referred to as the Lake Jesup Settlement. Lake Jesup's first store was built on the southern shore in 1870 by John F. Mitchell. Antonio Solary, a Jacksonville merchant, built another store with a larger . . . — Map (db m93010) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Oviedo — Oviedo
(side 1) In the late 1860's Confederate veterans and freed slaves from the war-devastated South began to move into the settlement called "the Lake Jesup Community," to be joined later by others from Northern states and from Sweden. One of . . . — Map (db m93011) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Oviedo — Slavia
In 1911 some members of Holy Trinity Slovak Lutheran Church, Cleveland, Ohio, organized the Slavia Colony Company as an agency to help them establish a settlement in the area now traversed by Red Bug Lake Road, Mikler Road and State Road 426. Early . . . — Map (db m92974) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Early Hospitals in Sanford
(side 1) Plant System Hospital The first hospital in Seminole County was operated by the Plant System Railroad, providing medical care for railroad employees and the community in the 1890's. It was located at West 9th Street in . . . — Map (db m93060) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Fort Reid 1836
Established as a commissary and soldiers camp for Fort Mellon — Map (db m93042) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — George C. Means Memorial Bridge
Crossing the St. Johns River at Lake Jesup impacted both travelers and the environment over the years. Prior to 1900, people and goods were almost exclusively transported on the St. Johns by steamboat, with several large wharves around Lake Jesup . . . — Map (db m93041) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Mayfair Country Club
The Mayfair Country Club is a portion of a 20,000 acre tract of land purchased in 1848 for $40.00 by General Joseph Finegan, who later became the commander of the Confederate forces in their victory at Olustee, Florida. In 1870 Henry Sanford . . . — Map (db m93066) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student Museum
(side 1) Sanford High School was built in 1902. This Romanesque Revival Style brick building with its massive three story bell tower was designed by Architect W.G. Talley of Jacksonville. The building is one of the few surviving examples in . . . — Map (db m93044) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Sanford — Upsala Swedish Community
This site was the center of the earliest and largest Swedish community in Florida. Located here were the Scandinavian Society Lutheran Church; its cemetery; and a meeting house, which also served as a school until 1904. In May 1871 thirty-three . . . — Map (db m93062) HM
Florida (Seminole County), Winter Springs — Wagner
In the 1870's, four wharfs were built on the south shores of Lake Jessup. Steamships came into Lake Jesup bringing goods and supplies to settlers throughout central Florida. Later, railroad stops connected this area with other local communities. . . . — Map (db m92967) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), Ponte Vedra Beach — F-326 — World War II Operation Pastorius / St. Johns CountyNazi Saboteurs Landed Here
World War II Operation Pastorius Nazi Saboteurs Landed Here On the night of June 16, 1942, German U-boat U-584 landed four trained Nazi agents here dressed as American civilians. After burying four boxes containing explosives and incendiaries . . . — Map (db m57383) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Cofradia Site Coquina Wellca. 1614-1657
The 1990 excavation of this coquina block well revealed furniture fragments from the 1600s, a rarity among St. Augustine's artifacts. Most likely, the well was built in the early 1600s and filled quickly about 1670 with household items from a . . . — Map (db m93269) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-848 — First Spanish Muster Site in Florida
The first muster of Spanish militiamen in the newly-established presidio (fortified encampment) of St. Augustine took place in September of 1565. During the onset of the San Mateo hurricane Adelantado Pedro Menendez de Aviles assembled 500 regular . . . — Map (db m92865) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Florida Memorial University
Founded 1879—Live Oak, Florida Jacksonville, Florida—1892-1918 St. Augustine, Florida—1918-1968 Miami Gardens, Florida—1968-Present Students of Florida Normal and Industrial Memorial College, in the early 1960s . . . — Map (db m67672) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Mission of Nuestra Señora del Rosario de La Punta
From the late 1720s to the early 1750s the green space just beyond this wall was the site of the church and cemetery for the mission community of La Punta (FL Site #8SJ94). This mission was home to refugee Yamassee and Apalachee Indians who had fled . . . — Map (db m92980) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Nine Mile Road
Nine Mile Road was so named because its early eastern terminus at the Kings Road, built in 1775, near U.S. Highway Number 1, is nine miles north of St. Augustine. Between the terminus of Nine Mile Road at the Kings Road and State Road Number . . . — Map (db m67695) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-229 — Old Spanish Quarries(Anastasia Island)
About 200 yards south-east of this point are the remains of the King's Coquina Quarries. (Coquina, a type of limestone composed of mollusk shells and sand, is found along the north-east coast of Florida.) Coquina was used in the building of many . . . — Map (db m28361) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Robert L. Ripley
Robert L. Ripley was an internationally famous artist, writer, radio personality, movie maker, and world explorer. Mr. Ripley visited over 200 countries, and during his travels amassed an eclectic collection of artifacts, curiosities and . . . — Map (db m93169) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Rosario RedoubtUncovered in 2008
Below here lies a segment of the foundation for the Rosario Redoubt, an eight-foot tall masonry fortification constructed in 1762 along the Rosario Line, which formed a part of the colonial city defensive system. — Map (db m70533) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-804 — Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory
The Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory, completed in 1909, is the last remnant in St. Augustine of the cigar industry, whose local origins date to the 1830s. Political unrest drove many Cuban cigar makers to Florida after 1868. Their numbers in St. . . . — Map (db m77391) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — The Boat Basin
A Boat Basin at the east end of the Plaza was constructed as part of the new coquina seawall of 1840. This Basin was important to St. Augustine residents who depended on the river and harbor for their livelihood, travel, and recreation. This photo . . . — Map (db m92981) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — The Salcedo House(Former Home of Jorge Biassou)
Here on this site, 42 St. George Street, stood the home of the nation's first Black general, Jorge Biassou, who came to St. Augustine from his native St. Domingue (today the nation of Haiti) in 1796 as an officer of the Spanish militia. General . . . — Map (db m70979) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), Summer Haven — F-85 — Massacre of the FrenchMatanzas Inlet
In 1565 some 300 French castaways, under Jean Ribault, were massacred here by Spaniards, crushing their attempt to occupy Florida. The French ships, sailing from Fort Caroline to attack St. Augustine, were driven ashore by a storm. At this inlet . . . — Map (db m46145) HM
Florida (Sumter County), Coleman — AdamsvilleHistoric Marker
Sumter County was created by an act of the Florida Legislature on January 8, 1853. The new county was created from the southern part of Marion County and contained a large segment on what is now Lake County. The community of Adamsville was selected . . . — Map (db m66858) HM
Florida (Sumter County), Sumterville — SumtervilleHistoric Site
Sumter County was created by an act of the Florida Legislature on January 8, 1853. The new county was created from the southern part of Marion County and included a large segment of what is now Lake County. The community of Adamsville was selected . . . — Map (db m66969) HM
Florida (Sumter County), Webster — Parson Brown Orange Tree
Parson Brown originated as a chance seedling at the home of Reverend N.L. Brown near Webster, Florida in 1856. Original plantings of this variety on sour orange rootstock on heavy hammock soils produced good crops of relatively high quality . . . — Map (db m93074) HM
Florida (Sumter County), Wildwood — F-700 — Royal School Site
Royal Community Park is the site of the former segregated Royal School. Founded in 1865, the community of Royal was originally known as Picketsville, which was named for the white picket fences that marked its 40-acre homesteads. It was settled . . . — Map (db m66986) HM
Florida (Taylor County), Perry — F-699 — Jerkins High School
In 1853, a family of free blacks established the Spring Hill Missionary Baptist Church in what was then known as Rosehead, later Perry. The roots of African-American education in Taylor County began with this church, which remains the oldest . . . — Map (db m67600) HM
Florida (Taylor County), Steinhatchee — F-461 — Deadman Bay, Stephensville and Steinhatchee
Located at the mouth of the Steinhatchee River, Deadman Bay was on Spanish maps by the early 1500s. Spanish Conquistador Panfilo de Narvaez came through the area in 1529 followed by Hernando de Soto ten years later. DeSoto crossed the Steinhatchee . . . — Map (db m67599) HM
Florida (Union County), Lake Butler — F-118 — Mount Zion Baptist Church and Swift Creek Cemetery
Continuous religious services have been held on this site since 1844. The first church, of hand hewn logs was erected, and the following were elected elders at the time of constitution, February 20, 1847: Cornealus Buey and Sham Peacock. The first . . . — Map (db m65690) HM
Florida (Union County), Lake Butler — Union County
Union County, established on October 1, 1921, is the smallest of Florida's 67 counties. Its 245 square miles are bounded by Baker County on the north and by the natural boundaries of Olustee Creek, the Santa Fe River and the New River. Once . . . — Map (db m64266) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Ormond Beach — F-52 — Nocoroco
On this site was the Timucua Indian village of Nocoroco. It was mentioned in the report of Alvaro Mexia's expedition down the Florida east coast in 1605. It was the first Indian village south of St. Augustine noted by Mexia. The site was used during . . . — Map (db m21135) HM
Georgia (Berrien County), Nashville — 010-1 — Flat Creek Mills
Flat Creek Mills was a trading Post and election precinct many years before the present Berrien County was created in 1856. Officers of the new county were sworn in here, and there being no court house, the first Inferior Court was held here in the . . . — Map (db m50534) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-9 — Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps
Aug. 31, 1864. Lee’s troops [CS] were withdrawn from Atlanta’s defense lines evening of the 30th when Hood learned that Federal forces, after wrecking the West Point R.R. to the S.W., were threatening the Macon R.R. at Jonesboro. Lee’s troops, . . . — Map (db m50862) HM
Georgia (Clayton County), Riverdale — 031-31 — The Marcus Long Crossroads
Having cut the A. & W.P. R. R. at Red Oak, Federal forces were shifted toward the Macon R. R. to complete the isolation of Atlanta, making it untenable by the Confederate defenders. Aug. 30, 1864. Stanley’s 4th A. C. [US], moving S. from Red . . . — Map (db m59455) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Hamburg — 2-3 — Hamburg[Missing as of 4 July 2004]
Situated between this point and the Savannah River, Hamburg was a thriving river port and trading center for cotton and tobacco. Founded in 1821 by Henry Schultz, incorporated December 19, 1827, Hamburg became the most important interior port in . . . — Map (db m41892) HM

633 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 433
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.