Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2203 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2003
 
South Carolina Botanical Garden Main Entrance image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott, May 10, 2009
South Carolina Botanical Garden Main Entrance
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-22 — Duellist's Grave
The epitaph to James Wilde on the nearby tomb is a melancholy reminder of the days of duelling and, particularly, of a tragic affair of honor fought January 16, 1815, on the Carolina side of the river near Savannah. Lieutenant Wilde was shot through . . . — Map (db m5376) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — The Georgia Hussars Organized 13 February 1736
This troop of Mounted Rangers was raised by General Oglethorpe to patrol and protect the Colony of Georgia from the Spaniards and Indians. It fought at Bloody Marsh in 1742 and at the Siege of Savannah in 1779. Its record during The War . . . — Map (db m6163) HM
Georgia (Columbia County), Grovetown — 36-1 — Paul Hamilton Hayne(1830 - 1886)
Acclaimed poet, editor, and lecturer of the post-Civil War era, Paul Hamilton Hayne was born in Charleston, South Carolina. A contemporary of Sidney Lanier, Hayne edited Russell’s Magazine and the Charleston Gazette and wrote for the . . . — Map (db m38987) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — Confederate Dead1861 - 1865
Elbert County To Her Confederate Dead — Map (db m22043) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — Elbert County's Dead in the Civil War
[Center]: In characters of living light That tell a wondrous story. Their deeds have brightened many a page With never-dying glory. [Left panel]: Thomas J. Ayres Clement Brewer Thompson H. Dye Elijah Allgood John R. . . . — Map (db m21909) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — 073-4 — Hart County
Hart County was created by the Legislature on Dec. 7, 1853 out of portions of Franklin and Elbert counties. It is the only county in Georgia named for a woman - Nancy Hart. Nancy Hart and her husband, Benjamin Hart, obtained a 400 acre grant . . . — Map (db m21343) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — Lincoln County Veterans Monument
In Sacred Memory of the Men of Lincoln County Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice World War I Jesse H. Blackburn Titus B. Booker Richard E. Lewis Edward W. Smalley Ralph W. Humpreys Talmadge Bohler James C. Justice Thomas . . . — Map (db m57611) WM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — The Lewis Family PavilionDedicated May 3, 2003
The Lewis Family, America's First of Bluegrass Gospel Music, was organized in 1951. The Lewis Family has achieved worldwide recognition as an icon of bluegrass gospel music. From a modest but proud beginning in Lincoln County, the group has . . . — Map (db m57616) HM
Georgia (Madison County), Danielsville — Crawford W. Long
Discoverer of anaesthesia and first to use in surgery March 30, 1842 Born in Danielsville, Georgia November 1, 1815 Died June 16, 1878 — Map (db m58477) HM
Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 94-1 — Home of Thomas E. Watson(1856–1922)
After passing the state Bar in 1876, native Thomas E. Watson returned to Thomson and lived in this house with his family from 1881 to 1900. In his first floor office Watson began his law and writing career and entered politics. He served in the . . . — Map (db m9475) HM
Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-9 — The Rock House
This 18th Century stone dwelling is the only surviving house associated with the Colonial Wrightsboro Settlement (1768). Its builder, Thomas Ansley, used weathered granite, quarried in its natural form from the nearby geographical fall line, as . . . — Map (db m9809) HM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Crawford — Veterans of Oglethorpe County
In God We Trust V Marine Corps Seal, Navy Seal, Coast Guard Seal, Air Force Seal, Army Seal In Honor of the Veterans of Oglethorpe County — Map (db m78240) WM
Georgia (Oglethorpe County), Lexington — Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe
Oglethorpe, the fifth county created in Georgia, Dec. 19, 1793 was named for James Edward Oglethorpe, founder and first governor of Georgia. Born in London, Dec. 22, 1696, Oglethorpe started his early life in Godalming, England. He was a . . . — Map (db m78233) HM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Paul & Mary Williams Memorial Chapel
Even today, the names of Paul & Mary Williams evoke loving memories of a couple who had a deep abiding commitment to Toccoa Falls College. They met shortly after enrolling as students but did not marry until after they had graduated and Mary had . . . — Map (db m63993) HM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Ralls Dormitory & Broom Factory
A building to be used as a print shop was constructed by the Kiwanis Club and the citizens of Toccoa on the site later occupied by Ralls Dormitory. The plan for a print shop never developed, so the building was turned into a broom factory. But . . . — Map (db m64442) HM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Stephens County Confederate Monument
1861-1865 — Map (db m63334) WM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Toccoa Korean War Monument1950 - 1953 — The Forgotten War
In memory of and with deep gratitude for the men and women who served during the Korean Campaign to preserve our freedom. — Map (db m63340) WM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Woerner World Missions Center
Shortly after fire destroyed Haddock Inn, God gave Richard and Evelyn Forrest another sign that He would restore what had been lost. Rev. Forrest wrote an article that was published in the Alliance Weekly newsletter explaining what had . . . — Map (db m64276) HM
Georgia (Warren County), Warrenton — Muster Roll of Company B, 48th RegimentGeorgia Volunteer Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, C.S.A. — Warren County, Georgia ("Warren Infantry")
The Warren Infantry was the last company organized in Warren County. Followed by a list of the members of the company. — Map (db m90446) HM
Georgia (Warren County), Warrenton — Warren County Revolutionary War Monument
D.A.R. Seal To the soldiers found to date buried in Warren County, who fought in The War for American Independence 1776-1783 List of names — Map (db m90510) WM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Duncan G. Cambell's First Law Office
1807 Site of —————— Duncan G. Cambell's First Law Office —————— Drafted the treaty that removed the Cherokee Indians from Georgia and also . . . — Map (db m93977) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-13 — Holly Court
This lot, originally sold by the Town Commissioners in 1804 to John Griffin, was later owned by Henry Anthony. This structure combines two separate houses. The back part probably dates from 1817; the front was moved by oxcart from 7 miles out in . . . — Map (db m25787) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Lindsey Chevrolet Co.1930-1985
Built by John Thomas Lindsey 1919-1920 — Map (db m93639) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Sims-Beggs House1892
William M. Sims, attorney and county commissioner, purchased this lot known as Robert Toombs Meadow from Kate Toombs Cooley for $200 and built this asymetrical Queen Anne style house. 1962 purchased by John and Helen Beggs. — Map (db m94211) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Site of W.T. Fluker Gun Smith
. . . — Map (db m93909) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Washington-Wilkes Firsts
1775 First stone marker indicating George III land grant Fort Washington Park 1777 First county named in Georgia’s first constitution 1779 First African-American Revolutionary hero in the South. Austin Dabney – Battle of Kettle . . . — Map (db m28693) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — Washington-Wilkes Vietnam Monument
. . . — Map (db m93486) WM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — William Dearing
William Dearing founder Georgia Railroad & Banking Co. had a three story merchantile business at this site 1818-1825 — Map (db m93839) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 23rd Ohio Infantry
(Front Inscription): OHIO 23d Infantry Commanded by Major James M. Comly Hugh Ewing's (1st) Brigade Kanawha Division Ninth Army Corps Army of the Potomac (Rear Inscription): This Regiment with its Brigade . . . — Map (db m6669) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 45th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
2nd Brigade 1st Division 9th Corps The regiment advanced 264 yards northwest of this point returning to this position later in the day ————— Casualties at Antietam Killed 1 Wounded 36 Missing 1 Total 38 . . . — Map (db m11424) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 48th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry
(Front Inscription): 48th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry 1st Brigade 2nd Division 9th Corps Location 385 yards south 70 degrees east ————— Casualties at Antietam Killed 8 Wounded 51 Missing 1 Total 60 . . . — Map (db m6665) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Brigadier General William E. Starke
Brigadier General William E. Starke C.S.A. Killed Here. — Map (db m6980) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Clara Barton
(Upper Plaque):During the Battle of Antietam September 17, 1862 Clara Barton brought supplies and nursing aid to the wounded on this battlefield. The act of love and mercy led to the birth of the present American National Red Cross . . . — Map (db m5901) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 84 — Fifth Army CorpsSecond Battalion, Fourteenth U.S. Infantry
U.S.A. Fifth Army Corps. Second Battalion (8 Cos). Fourteenth U.S. Infantry Captain David B. McKibbon, Commanding. September 16-19, 1862. On September 16th, the Second Battalion, Fourteenth U.S. Infantry was in line on the east base of the ridge . . . — Map (db m7086) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — B — First Army Corps
. . . — Map (db m5899) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 16 — First Army CorpsMagilton's Brigade, Meade's Division
U.S.A. First Army Corps. Magilton's Brigade, Meade's Division, Col. Albert Magilton, 4th Penn. Reserves, Commanding. Organization. 3rd Penn. Reserve Infantry, 4th Penn. Reserve Infantry, 7th Penn. Reserve Infantry, 8th Penn. Reserve Infantry, . . . — Map (db m5910) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Georgia Confederate Soldiers
We sleep here in obedience to law; When duty called, we came. when country called, we died. — Map (db m5667) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Hexamer's (New Jersey) Battery
September 17, 1862 ——————From 3.30 p.m. until near sunset this battery from a point about 80 yards north of this, engaged the enemy around the Piper buildings. — Map (db m5629) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 59 — Kanawha Division, Ninth Corps
U.S.A. Kanawha Division, Ninth Corps. Col. E.P. Scammon, 23d Ohio Infantry, Commanding. September 16-17, 1862. On the evening of September 16th the Kanawha Division was on the ridge east of the Antietam; Crook's Brigade north of the Burnside . . . — Map (db m6599) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 319 — Lee's Brigade, Stuart's Cavalry Division
C.S.A. Lee's Brigade, Stuart's Cavalry Division, Brig. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee, Commanding. Organization. 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 9th Virginia Cavalry. (September 15-19, 1862.) The 3rd, 4th and 9th Virginia Cavalry of Lee's Brigade reached the field . . . — Map (db m6175) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 367 — Longstreet's CommandManning's Brigade, Walker's Division
C.S.A. Longstreet's Command Manning's Brigade, Walker's Division Colonel Van H. Manning, 3d Arkansas Infantry, Commanding. Organization 3d Arkansas Infantry 48th North Carolina Infantry 27th North Carolina Infantry 30th Virginia Infantry 46th . . . — Map (db m5463) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 388 — Longstreet's CommandManning's Brigade, Walker's Division
C.S.A Longstreet's Command Manning's Brigade, Walker's Division Col. Van H. Manning, Commanding Organization 3d Arkansas, 30th Virginia, 27th, 46th and 48th North Carolina September 17, 1862 About 10:20 A.M. the 30th Virginia, 46th and 48th . . . — Map (db m5465) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 364 — Longstreet's CommandGarnett's Brigade, Jones' Division
C.S.A. Longstreet's Command. Garnett's Brigade, Jones' Division, Brig. Gen. Richard B. Garnett, Commanding. Organization. 8th Virginia Infantry, 19th Virginia Infantry, 18th Virginia Infantry, 28th Virginia Infantry, 56th Virginia Infantry. . . . — Map (db m6505) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Mansfield
(Front Face): Major General Joseph K. F. Mansfield Commanding the 12th Corps Army of the Potomac Mortally wounded near this spot September 17th, 1862 About 7-35 a.m. While deploying his corps in action (Left Face):Erected by . . . — Map (db m5997) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — New York State Monument
(Front Face): Excelsior The State of New York in commemoration of the Services of its officers and soldiers in the Battle of Antietam, Sept. 17, 1862 (Rear Face): Record of New York State at Antietam 67 Regiments of . . . — Map (db m6397) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 68 — Ninth Army CorpsFerrero's Brigade, Sturgis' Division
U.S.A. Ninth Army Corps Ferrero's Brigade, Sturgis' Division. Brigadier General Edward Ferrero, Commanding. Organization. 51st New York Infantry, 51st Pennsylvania Infantry. 21st and 35th Massachusetts Infantry. September 17, 1862. On the . . . — Map (db m6444) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 56 — Ninth Army Corps
U.S.A. Ninth Army Corps Brig. Gen. Jacob D. Cox, Commanding. September 15-16, 1862. The Ninth Corps moved from Fox's Gap in South Mountain by the Sharpsburg Road, on the morning of September 15 and in the evening encamped in rear of the extreme . . . — Map (db m6446) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 100 — Ninth Army CorpsFerrero's Brigade, Sturgis' Division
U.S.A. Ninth Army Corps Ferrero's Brigade, Sturgis' Division Brigadier General Edw. Ferrero, Commanding. Organization. 51st New York, 51st Pennsylvania, 21st and 35th Massachusetts Infantry. (September 17, 1862.) After Ferrero's Brigade carried . . . — Map (db m6610) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 61 — Ninth Army CorpsEwing's Brigade, Kanawha Division
U.S.A. Ninth Army Corps Ewing's Brigade, Kanawha Division. Col. Hugh Ewing, 30th Ohio Infantry, Commanding. Organization. 12th, 23d and 30th Ohio Infantry, McMullin's Battery, Ohio Light Artillery. September 16-17, 1862. On the evening of . . . — Map (db m6684) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — 121 — September 17, 1862 (Continued)
U.S.A. September 17, 1862 (Continued) French's Division, following Sedgwick across the Antietam, on reaching the East Woods wheeled to the left, drove the Confederate outposts from the Roulette Buildings and about 9:30 a.m., engaged the brigade . . . — Map (db m5578) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — The Most Terrible Clash of Arms
As Union soldiers stepped out of the Cornfield (in front of you) at dawn, September 17, 1862, Confederate troops, aligned in the fields just behind you, unleashed a horrific volley. The single bloodiest day in American History had begun in earnest. . . . — Map (db m41710) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — The Onward Rush to Victory or Defeat
Sgt. William Andrews, 1st Georgia Regiment As the battle escalated, Union Gen. Edwin Sumner moved the Second Corps across Antietam Creek and into the battle. The swift waters of the Antietam and the difficult terrain separated the three . . . — Map (db m20652) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Witness to History
As a young tree, the Burnside Sycamore witnessed the battle of Antietam. It still stands more than one hundred fifty years later and remains a favorite landmark for park visitors. You can help preserve and protect this living relic by appreciating . . . — Map (db m89229) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Woolfolk’s (Ashland) Virginia BatteryCapt. Pichegru Woolfolk, Jr.
Part of S.D. Lee’s Battalion, Woolfolk’s battery supported the Confederate efforts on the northern end of the battlefield. When the fighting in the Cornfield was at its worst, Woolfolk moved to this advanced position where the 28th Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m67712) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — McLeod House
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior McLeod House 1897 — Map (db m39904) HM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Hattiesburg — Old Federal Building
[Right Plaque]: This Building, the Old Federal Building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of Interior September 1973 • • • Supervised by architect James Knox Taylor, this . . . — Map (db m44961) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — A Brief History of the Elmira Popcorn Truck
Frank Romero, the man who made "the best popcorn in town," died at the age of 89, at the Veterans Medical Center, Bath, New York. A native of Molochio, Italy, he came to this country in 1912 at the age of 17. He served in the military during . . . — Map (db m90227) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — A.M.E. Zion Church
Founded in 1840 stood 300 feet west of here played a role in the underground railroad & was a center of Elmira's African-American Community — Map (db m66950) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Chemung County Korea and Vietnam Monument
Dedicated to those men and women who served their country in Korea and Vietnam to those who gave their lives our everlasting love peace. Korea 1950-1955 Vietnam 1961-1975 — Map (db m90229) WM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Confederate Burials in the National Cemetery
Elmira Prison Camp Overcrowding at the military prison at Point Lookout, Maryland, led the U.S. Army to establish Elmira Military Prison in May 1864. Elmira, New York, initially a rendezvous point for enlisting Union soldiers, had barracks, . . . — Map (db m90076) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Major General John Sullivan
1779 - 1929 in memoriam Major General John Sullivan commander-in-chief and the officers and men of the New Hampshire Brigade who participated in the memorable "Sullivan Campaign" against the Six Nations of Indians Erected by The State of New . . . — Map (db m33543) HM
New York (Chemung County), Elmira — Shohola Railroad Accident Memorial
(Federal Side): Erected by the United Statesto the memory of the following soldiers, privates in the Eleventh Veteran Reserve Corps. Comprising the union guard who were killed with their Confederate prisoners of war in the railroad . . . — Map (db m32180) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 3rd West Virginia Cavalry
Erected by the state of West Virginia to commemorate the valor and fidelity of the Third West Virginia Cavalry — Map (db m15395) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 56th Pennsylvania Infantry2nd Brigade, 1st Division — 1st Corps
(Front):56th Penna. Infantry. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division. 1st Corps.The Regiment here delivered the opening fire of the infantry in the Battle of Gettysburg in the forenoon of July 1st, 1863. July 2nd and 3rd occupied position on Culp's Hill . . . — Map (db m15338) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — 80th New York Infantry1st Brigade, 3rd Division — 1st Corps
(Front):Ulster Guard 20th N.Y. State Militia 80th N.Y. Infantry. 1st Brig. 3d Div. 1st Corps. Organized 1851 at Kingston. N.Y. as 20th N.Y.S.M. Apr. 28, 1861 entered U.S. service for 3 months. Sept. 5, 1861 re-entered service for 3 years. . . . — Map (db m15289) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Bvt. Maj. Gen. Charles H.T. Collis Memorial
Bt. Maj. Gen. Chas. H. T. Collis. U.S.V. Col. 114 Reg't Penn'a Vol. Infty. Collis Zouaves Born Feb. 4, 1838 Died May 11, 1902 Erected by the Survivors of his regiment and his friends. — Map (db m62304) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Dance's Battalion - First Virginia ArtilleryArtillery Reserve - Ewell's Corps — Army of Northern Virginia
C.S.A. Army of Northern Virginia Ewell's Corps Artillery Reserve Dance's Battalion First Virginia Artillery Cunningham's, Smith's, Watson's, Griffin's and Graham's Batteries Four 20 pounder Parrotts, Four 10 pounder Parrotts Ten 3 inch Rifles, . . . — Map (db m15306) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Ewell's CorpsArmy of Northern Virginia
Army of Northern Virginia Ewell's Corps Rodes's Early's and Johnson's Divisions July 4 Having withdrawn under orders from its previous positions the Corps formed line about daybreak on this ridge with its right a short distance south of the . . . — Map (db m17901) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Imboden's BrigadeStuart's Cavalry Division — Army of Northern Virginia
C.S.A. Army of Northern Virginia Stuart's Cavalry Division Imboden's Brigade 18th. Virginia Cavalry 63nd. Virginia Infantry Virginia Partisan Rangers and McClanahan's Virginia BatteryJuly 3 Command guarding ammunition and supply Trains. Reached . . . — Map (db m15174) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Kentucky Memorial
Kentucky honors her son, Abraham Lincoln, who delivered his immortal address at the site now marked by the soldiers' monument. — Map (db m16865) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Lincoln Address Memorial
This monument commemorates Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863. The Address was delivered about 300 yards from this spot along the upper Cemetery drive. The site is now marked by the Soldiers' National Monument. Dedicated Jan. . . . — Map (db m90763) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Major Gen. John F. Reynolds
Commanding Left Wing 1st. 3rd. & 11th. Corps Army of the Potomac July 1st. 1863 Erected by the State of Pennsylvania July 1886 (back of monument) Here Gen. Reynolds Fell — Map (db m6146) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Major General John Reynolds
. . . — Map (db m16876) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Soldiers' National Cemetery
"Here where they fell, Oft shall the widow's tear be shed, Oft shall fond parents mourn their dead; The orphan here shall kneel and weep..." Hymn by Benjamin B. French Sung at cemetery dedication November 19, 1863 Soldiers' National Cemetery . . . — Map (db m16878) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — The Wagon Hotel on Cemetery Hill
On July 1, 1863, when the Federal 1st and 11th Corps were routed on the fields north and west of Gettysburg, the defeated soldiers hurriedly fled towards the citadel of Cemetery Hill. They passed through the town via Baltimore, Washington and . . . — Map (db m75506) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Third BrigadeSecond Division - Cavalry Corps — Army of the Potomac
Army of the Potomac Cavalry Corps Second Division Third Brigade Col. J. Irvin Gregg 1st Maine (10 cos.) 10th New York 4th, 16th Pennsylvania Cavalry July 2 Arrived and took position on Hanover Road 2 miles from Gettysburg in proximity to Lieut. . . . — Map (db m9124) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Constitution Tree
This Living Legacy was Planted to Commemorate the Bicentennial of the Signing of the United States Constitution 1787-1987 — Map (db m43733) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — Last Cabinet Meeting Marker
This tablet was placed here to commemorate the last meeting of the Confederate States Cabinet which was held in the Burt House near by directly in front of this stone. The following cabinet members were present: Jefferson . . . — Map (db m73949) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — The Law Offices of John C. Calhoun
Near here, from 1807 to 1817, were situated the law offices of John C. Calhoun. Born in the Long Canes District of Abbeville March 18, 1782. Died, Washington D.C. March 31, 1850. Member of Congress 1811-1817 Secretary of War . . . — Map (db m7352) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Calhoun Falls — 1-2 — MillwoodHome of James Edward Calhoun
Half mile southeast is Millwood, home of James Edward Calhoun, 1796-1898, son of John Ewing and Floride Bonneau Calhoun and brother-in-law of John C. Calhoun. After serving as lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, he developed Millwood, which ultimately . . . — Map (db m9439) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Angela Marlow NewtonClass of 1995
The initial gift and a substantial contribution toward the construction of this sign were donated by members of the Class of 1995 as a memorial to their classmate, Angela Marlow Newton, whose untimely death in her senior year at Erskine College . . . — Map (db m12098) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — Frederick Ergle Log CabinBuilt in 1808
A sesquicentennial memorial gift to the city of Aiken by the family of Thomas H. Williamson (1888-1962), former county treasurer, member of the Aiken County Historical Commission and direct descendant of this cabin's builder. — Map (db m102353) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Aiken — H. Odell WeeksAugust 3, 1908 - December 14, 1992
Mayor 1946 - 1952 1957 - 1991 His office was our city's sidewalks and storefronts, and from his walks about the downtown he gained the information needed for leadership. He was an advocate for harmony and teamwork, regardless of . . . — Map (db m15136) HM
South Carolina (Aiken County), Beech Island — 2-4 — Historic Church
This church was built in 1836 by Beech Island Presbyterian Church, organized in 1827 with the Rev. Nathan H. Hoyt of Vermont as first pastor. His son-in-law the Rev. Edward Axson, was ordained and served here. His daughter, Ellen, wife of Woodrow . . . — Map (db m9909) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Blue Ridge Railroad Passenger Station -- c. 1913
This building was erected as a passenger station for the Blue Ridge Railroad. It bridges the railroad cut under North Main Street which was excavated by the Blue Ridge Railroad Company as part of a project to build a line over the mountains to . . . — Map (db m94745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Masonic Temple -- 1889
This is the second Masonic Temple to occupy this location. After its organization in 1848, Hiram Lodge No. 68 met in the second story of a store building on the east side of the square for several years. The first temple was erected at this . . . — Map (db m38438) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Orr Mill CemeteryPreserving Our Cemeteries
Deeded to the City in 1992, these humble grounds are the final resting place for some Orr Mill employees and family members dating to the 1800s. Numerous graves are here, marked and unmarked, including infants. Help us improve these unique . . . — Map (db m50102) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Orr Monument
The Orr Monument was never a tombstone, but a cenotaph, or memorial, to Colonel James L. Orr, son of South Carolina Governor James L. Orr. Colonel Orr was an Anderson native, the founder and president of Orr Cotton Mills, and a well known . . . — Map (db m42246) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Anderson Sports and Entertainment Complex
Civic Center of Anderson - 1992 Chris Taylor Memorial Park - Dedicated 1998 Anderson Sports Complex - 1999 Anderson County Amphitheater - 1999 --------------------------- The Anderson County Sports and Entertainment Center . . . — Map (db m36170) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — The Original Back Door Step
The Original Back Door Step of the Flat Rock Union Church Dedicated October 9, 1988 Flat Rock Presbyterian Church Chartered November 10, 1888 Flat Rock Baptist Church Chartered November 17, 1832 — Map (db m54639) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Thompson Centennial United ME Church -- 1867
This was the second Negro church founded in Anderson. It was organized at a meeting of approximately 15 persons at the home of the Rev. Henry A. Mikell, who served as the first pastor. A lot was purchased from Bale Clayton for $100 and a small . . . — Map (db m11745) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Veterans of All Wars
This flagpole is erected to the memory of an in honor of our fighting forces who have defended this country in all wars. — Map (db m60011) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — World War I Memorial
. . . — Map (db m10681) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Belton — First Baptist Church of Belton
In Memory of the Founders and Members of the First Baptist Church Belton, S.C. Which Stood on This Site 1861 - 1882. — Map (db m50323) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 1965
This building and lot donated to the Town of Iva and the Iva District 10 Fire Department by W. Parker Bowie and his wife Marie T. Bowie in honor of his father Luther E. Bowie and his mother Lucia P. Bowie. Dedicated to the citizens of this . . . — Map (db m54816) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — 4-31 — Generostee A.R.P. Church
[Front]: This church, the first Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation in what is now Anderson County, was organized about 1790 about 1 1/2 mi. SW of this site. Rev. Robert Irwin, its first regular minister, served from 1803 until . . . — Map (db m11747) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Iva — Good Hope Presbyterian ChurchOrganized 1789
This marker designated the third site of this church. Since 1909, the new church, built at Iva, S.C., has continued to carry on the faithful witness of our Lord. Pastors Rev. John Simpson 1790-1807 Rev. David Humphreys 1821-1869 . . . — Map (db m19954) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Health & Heritage Walking Trail
Founded in 1790, Pendleton was established as the judicial seat for the Pendleton District, today known as Anderson, Oconee and Pickens Counties. This Health and Heritage Walking Trail offers a glimpse into the past and the opportunity . . . — Map (db m29865) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson
The paved brick walk leads to the gravesite of Thomas Green Clemson, founder of Clemson University. He was a Scientist, Agriculturist, Statesman, and educators. His gift to South Carolina of an Institution for the promotion of education in the . . . — Map (db m13938) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Woodburn Historic House
Memories of the Plantation Era -- Owners and Tenants Owners Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, elected Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina in 1822, made Woodburn Historic House his summer home around 1830. A graduate of Harvard . . . — Map (db m15361) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — West Allen Williams
In Memory of West Allen Williams 1804 - 1857 Founded Williamston Donor of Spring & Park ----- He said This Water Shall by Forever Free to All People — Map (db m15795) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston 9-11 Monument
. . . — Map (db m19720) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Cross — 8- 22 — Berkeley County
This county was designated a court and land conveyance district in 1682, and an election district in 1683. It was named for two brothers, Lord John and Sir William Berkeley, both Lord Proprietors of Carolina. Over the years, functions of this early . . . — Map (db m21958) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Ann Peacock HouseBuilt c. 1760
The front portion of this fine example of the Charleston single house was built on part of the original lot #37 of the plat of Charleston known as the "Grand Modell." The home was erected by Wm. Hall for Ann Peacock, a wealthy widow from . . . — Map (db m47911) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Branford-Horry HouseA Private Residence — c. 1751
Outstanding Georgian House designated "of National Importance," was built by William Branford, planter and member of the Colonial Assembly. It is famous for its carved cypress paneling and drawing room which has been called "one of the most . . . — Map (db m39313) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Huguenot Church
The French Protestant Church Huguenot Organized about 1861 First church built in 1867 This building the third on this site was erected in 1845 [National Historic Landmark Plaque]: Huguenot Church has been . . . — Map (db m27542) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Moultrie
(West Face): This Monument represents the high esteem in which all who love freedom hold Charleston's native son, William Moultrie Born November 23, 1730, Moultrie served in the Royal Assembly from 1752 until 1773. He . . . — Map (db m19212) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Confederate Homec. 1800
This handsome building, c. 1800 was constructed by Gilbert Chalmers. From 1810 to 1825 it was the home of Gov. John Geddes, who married the builder's daughter. During Gov. Geddes' term in office, Pres. James Monroe visited here. In 1867 Mary . . . — Map (db m27514) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — World War II Submarine Lost Boat Memorial
Still On Patrol –– • –– U.S. Navy Submarines paid heavily for their success in World War II. A total of 374 Officers and 3131 men are on board these 52 U.S. Submarines still on "patrol." . . . — Map (db m42750) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — 11-6 — Carnegie Library
This Classical Revival building, built in 1913-14 and designed by Arthur W. Hamby, was one of 14 public libraries built in S.C. between 1903 and 1916 with funding from Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Foundation. A 1938 addition compatible to the . . . — Map (db m7307) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Form the Line of Battle
Today Tarleton's force would be called a combined arms task force. It contained all the elements to conduct a quick movement and "engage an enemy." Ranks of redcoated fusiliers, regulars, and raw recruits of the 7th Regiment formed in this . . . — Map (db m13423) HM
South Carolina (Chester County), Leeds — 12-2 — Battle of Fishdam Ford
On the east side of Broad River by an old Indian fish dam, General Thomas Sumter's camp was attacked before dawn on November 9, 1780 by the British 63rd Regiment and a detachment of the Legion, led by Major James Wemyss. The American campfires . . . — Map (db m13685) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-5 — Coulter Memorial Academy Site
Organized in 1881, this Negro Presbyterian (USA) school was founded by the Rev. J.P. Crawford with support from Mrs. C.E. Coulter from whom it received its name. The Rev. G.W. Long was academy president from 1908 until 1943, and Coulter offered . . . — Map (db m18197) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — A History of Violence
From its earliest history, Edgefield developed a reputation for violence. The bloody fighting of the Cherokee War of 1760 was followed by years of lawlessness and retribution during the Regulator period. period. During the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m12534) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Edgefield County World War I Memorial
Erected by the Edgefield Daughters of the American Revolution in memory of the men from Edgefield County who gave their lives in the War with Germany; and to all who answered their country's call in service and sacrifice and still live . . . — Map (db m12621) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — J. Strom Thurmond
Native of Edgefield Born 1902 County Supt. of Education 1929-1933 State Senator 1933-1938 Circuit Judge 1938-1946 U.S. Army - World War II 1942-1946 Governor of South Carolina 1947-1951 United States Senate 1954- Chairman - Senate . . . — Map (db m12653) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — Religion & Education
Religion has played an important part in the lives of the people of Edgefield County. In the 1760's, the great evangelist Daniel Marshall, came to this area and established Big Stevens Creek and Horn's Creek Churches. In 1826 Edgefield Baptists, . . . — Map (db m12594) HM
South Carolina (Edgefield County), Edgefield — 19-7 — Village Academy / Furman Academy and Theological Institute
Village Academy Organized in 1811, the Edgefield Village Academy was located for many years on this site acquired from Col. Eldred Simkins in 1825. The South Carolina Coeducational Institute was located here from 1903-1913. During . . . — Map (db m12700) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — Life on the Rivers of Georgetown
Georgetown is blessed with deep navigable rivers that historically served as the city's safest and easiest routes for trading. Four rivers flow together to form Winyah Bay: Sampit, Waccamaw, Pee Dee, and Black. Each river's name, with the . . . — Map (db m102544) WM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fork Shoals — 23-16 — Lebanon Church
This United Methodist Church was originally located about 1¼ miles east and named the Grove. It was visited by Bishop Francis Asbury in 1790 and 1800. Relocated about ½ mile SW of here after the land was obtained 1832. Present house of . . . — Map (db m9018) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — Clayton "Peg Leg" Bates10/11/07 - 12/6/98
[Southwest]: Don't look at me in sympathy, I'm glad I'm this way for I feel good and I'm knocking on wood, as long as I can say you just watch me peg it. You can tell by the way I leg it that I'm Peg Leg Bates, the one legged dancing man. I . . . — Map (db m9022) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — Mrs. Emmie Fulmer
In Honor or Mrs. Emmie Fulmer Age 102 - 1981 Nation's Oldest Active Garden Club Member — Map (db m19293) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-9 — "The Poplars" / Elias Earle
"The Poplars" This was approximately the center of the many acred estate and "seat of hospitality" of Elias Earle, pioneer Greenville settler who began acquiring property here as early as 1787. His home, "The Poplars," stood at the N.E. corner . . . — Map (db m9084) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-4 — About 1765
Near Reedy River Falls, stood the home, trading station, and grist mill of Col. Richard Pearis, first white settler of this section. He was a noted Indian trader and prominent Tory of the Revolution. — Map (db m10428) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Allen Temple AME Church Bell
. . . — Map (db m15959) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-38 — Brutontown
[Front]: Brutontown, an historic African-American community, grew up around the intersection of Paris Mountain Rd. and Rutherford Rd. Benjamin Bruton, a mulatto freedman, bought 1.75 acres here in 1874. He built a house and blacksmith . . . — Map (db m22120) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Charles H. Townes Center for Science
This four-building science center is named for Greenville native and Furman Trustee Charles Hard Townes, Furman Class of 1935, son of Furman alumni Henry K, '97 and Ellen Hard '02 Townes. Lifelong innovator and teacher, he was presented the Noble . . . — Map (db m18576) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Chicora CollegeReedy River Falls — Historic Park
The Presbyterian Synod of South Carolina established Chicora College for Young Ladies in 1893 as "McBee's Terrace," opposite the Greenville Coach Factory on the south bank of the Reedy. Its sixteen acre campus, with grounds landscaped down to the . . . — Map (db m41444) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Church Street
C.F. McCollough Mayor City of Greenville 1937-1947 J. Kenneth Cass Mayor City of Greenville 1947-1961 C.R. McMillian Chief Commissioner S.C. Highway Department 1947-1961 S.N. Pearman Chief Commissioner . . . — Map (db m19239) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Dr. Harold B. SightlerPsalm 78:19: Can God Furnish a Table in the Wilderness? — God Can!
Interchange Named in Honor of Dr. Harold B. Sightler 1914-1995 Founder of: Tabernacle Baptist Church 1952-1995 Christian Schools Children's Home Baptist College Tabernacle Baptist Missions International WTBI AM & FM . . . — Map (db m24126) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Furman Men Who Gave Their Lives in the World War
Lt. John H. David Jr. The First South Carolina Officer Killed in Action. Lt. Charles S. Gardner Sgt. Charles E. Timmons Jr. Corp. Talmadge W. Gerrald Pvt. Thomas J. Lyon Jr. Pvt. Otis B. Brodie — Map (db m53063) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-14 — Furman University
Established in 1825 by the S.C. Baptist Convention, the Furman Academy and Theological Institution opened in Edgefield, 1826, moved to Sumter District, 1829-34, and to Fairfield 1837-1850. Chartered in 1830 as Furman University, it opened in . . . — Map (db m11383) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — History of Falls Park
The Carolina Foothills Garden Club, beginning in 1967, spearheaded efforts to reclaim the long neglected site of Greenville's birthplace and to preserve its natural beauty along the banks of the Reedy River. The City of Greenville endorsed the . . . — Map (db m27949) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Jim Rice
Jim Rice is a native of Anderson, South Carolina and was one of the most feared hitters during his 16-year career with the Boston Red Sox. He still holds career records with the Red Sox for home runs (382), hits (2,452), RBIs (1,451) and total . . . — Map (db m44080) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Liberty Bridge
. . . — Map (db m17480) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Restoration and DevelopmentReedy River Falls Historic Park
The Carolina Foothills Garden Club, beginning in 1967, spearheaded efforts to reclaim the long-neglected site of Greenville's birthplace and to preserve its natural beauty along the banks of the reedy River. The City of Greenville endorsed the . . . — Map (db m17380) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — River Lodge
. . . — Map (db m14555) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-33 — Sterling High School
[Front]: Sterling High School stood ¾ mi. southeast of here and served generations of African Americans in Greenville. Founded in 1896 by Rev. D.M. Minus and called Greenville Academy, it was first located in west Greenville. It moved . . . — Map (db m10847) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Tate Plaza
In honor of George Tate and Jack Tate Under black out conditions in France during World War II, two army captains, George and Jack Tate, agreed to open a furniture store in Greenville if they survived. Tate Furniture opened in 1946 . . . — Map (db m17499) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Landrum — 23-25 — Campbell’s Covered Bridge
This bridge, built in 1909, is the last extant covered bridge in S.C. Built by Charles Irwin Willis (1878–1966), it was named for Alexander Lafayette Campbell (1836–1920), who owned and operated a grist mill here for many years. . . . — Map (db m8507) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Piedmont — 23-40 — Pepper School
Pepper School, established in 1914-15, was built on land donated "for the children of my community" by William A. Pepper (1829-1914). The school, with three teachers and about 75-100 students in grades 1-7 for much of its history, closed after . . . — Map (db m37521) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Simpsonville — Lawrence Lafayette Richardson, M.D.July 23, 1867 - August 9, 1958
Physician 64 Years. Mayor of Simpsonville 38 Years: 1917 • 1923 • 1928 • 1958; Chairman Simpsonville School Board 20 Years — Map (db m60264) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Taylors — 23-39 — Tigerville
[Front]: Tigerville got its name from early settlers who settled here shortly after the Revolution. They called bobcats they saw here "tygers," and named the nearby Tyger River, Head of Tyger Baptist Church, later Tyger Baptist Church, . . . — Map (db m18044) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Bradley — 24-18 — Cedar Springs A.R.P. Church
[Front]: This church was organized 1779-1780 by Dr. Thomas Clark (d. 1791), who had emigrated from Ireland to N.Y. in 1764. Clark moved to this area permanently about 1786, preaching here, at Long Cane (now Lower Long Cane), and at . . . — Map (db m7184) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-11 — Francis Salvador1747-1776
This young English Jew settled near Coronaca in 1774, representing Ninety Six District in the provincial congresses of 1775-1776, and died in defense of his adopted home on Aug. 1, 1776. He was the first South Carolinian of his faith to hold an . . . — Map (db m11117) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Greenwood — 24-14 — Louis Booker Wright
Louis Booker Wright (1899-1984), scholar of American colonial history and Elizabethan culture, was born in the Phoenix community and spent his early years at Maxwellton near this site. A prolific author, he was educated at Wofford College and . . . — Map (db m16425) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Hodges — 24-17 — Good Hope Baptist Church
[Marker Front]: This church, founded about 1870, has its origins in Walnut Grove Baptist Church, founded in 1820. Walnut Grove included both white and black members before the Civil War, but after the war black members asked for letters . . . — Map (db m9692) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — First ParallelMay 28-June 1, 1781
After several days of digging an approach trench to get to this point, a first parallel was established. In siege warfare a series of trenches that face the enemy's defenses are called parallels. The first parallel established a secure position . . . — Map (db m11179) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Ninety Six National Historic SiteA Revolutionary War Landmark
Ninety Six National Historic Site is a unit of the National Park Service, which preserves lands of national significance. This park features the site of the old town of Ninety Six, an important seat of power in the backcountry of South Carolina . . . — Map (db m125710) HM
South Carolina (Greenwood County), Ninety Six — Trader with Pack Horse
Roads and paths allowed trade between the Cherokee and early traders. In 1753 Robert Gouedy set up the first permanent trading post at old Ninety Six. Many road traces can still be seen today. — Map (db m48532) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Tillman — 27-15 — Tillman Baptist Church
[Front]: This church, formally established in 1883 as Savin Grove Baptist Church, had its origins in a congregation active before the Civil War just south of present-day Tillman. When Revs. J.F. Morrall and Jonas Trowell reestablished . . . — Map (db m33677) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — Ford Country
During the Revolutionary War, river fords were a vital resource in controlling communication and transportation in the South Carolina backcountry. With few bridges or roads, these fords offered a tremendous tactical advantage to whomever . . . — Map (db m13857) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — 30-3 — Providence Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
The cemetery located about 1/2 mile SW, marks the original site of the church, founded Sept. 10, 1836. Buried here is William Blakely, Sr., survivor of Hayes Station Massacre, 1871, who with Samuel Blakely donated the land for the church and . . . — Map (db m12030) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — Where There's a Mill...
In the years before the American Revolution, Edward Musgrove saw his land as the perfect location for a gristmill. The nearby Enoree River provided power for the mill, and demand was high among Backcountry residents for means to grind their crops . . . — Map (db m13889) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Joanna — 30-16 — Belfast Plantation
[Front] This Federal plantation house was built between 1786 and 1815 for John Simpson (1751-1815), merchant and planter. Simpson came to S.C. from England in 1786 and named Belfast after his birthplace in Ireland. A post office here was . . . — Map (db m49455) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Joanna — 30-1 — Jefferson Davis Flight
Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy on his flight from Richmond, Va. with his Cabinet and other high ranking officers spent the night of April 30, 1865 at the house 1½ miles west, then the home of Lafayette Young. Arriving there . . . — Map (db m55837) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Chapin — 32-26 — St. Peter Church
SC Gen. Assembly incorp. this Lutheran church 17 Dec. 1794. Frederick Josephus Wallern served as 1st pastor. Today's church, dedicated 1936 is the 3rd building. — Map (db m21507) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — John Fox House
Built on this site c. 1832, this vernacular farm house was home to the family of John Fox (1805-1884), whose plantation, The Point, was located 3 miles northwest of here. Fox served as Sheriff, Clerk of Court, Representative, and Senator for . . . — Map (db m22026) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe Forest
. . . — Map (db m9409) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — WillingtonA South Carolina Railroad Village
The community of Willington is significant as a reminder of the role of the railroad in community development in rural South Carolina at the close of the nineteenth century and beginning of the twentieth century. During this period Willington was . . . — Map (db m11458) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — National WWII MemorialCelebration of Freedom
. . . — Map (db m44975) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County World War II Monument
In honor of all who served our country and dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II. 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m13396) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Vietnam War
Dedicated to those who died, honor and eternal rest, those still in bondage, remembrance and hope, those who returned, gratitude and peace. — Map (db m13330) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — The Oconee Waterwheel
Establishment of the Park Oconee State Park was developed in the 1930's as one of the earliest State Parks in South Carolina was built by members of the Civilian Conservation Corp. The CCC was a program created as part of President Franklin . . . — Map (db m14353) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Newry — Newry Soup Kitchen
1918 Worldwide Flu Epidemic Marker Erected in Loving Memory of Ella Nunley & Eli Whitney Stanton by Their Daughter Marcie S. Simmons — Map (db m63321) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee Station / Oconee County
Oconee Station The South Carolina Frontier Experience Oconee station & the William Richards House This site was a frontier outpost and a meeting place between European American and Cherokees of this region during the late . . . — Map (db m14372) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Undeclared Wars
"Duty, Honor, Country" It is one thing to say it, another to live it. They answered the call - they grew tired, they persevered. Some traveled far, some traveled near, some saw battle without showing fear. Their sacrifices and . . . — Map (db m14123) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — "Widowmaker’s” Drill
This pneumatic (air-driven) drill was once used to help make mining ore more efficient. Compressed air was fed into the drill, which operated a piston that hammered the bit into the rock as it rotated in the chuck. Once the hole was deep enough, . . . — Map (db m13159) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Blue Key National Honor Fraternity Gateway
[North Plaque]: Dedicated by Blue Key National Honor Fraternity Clemson University Chapter April 6, 1997 History of the Original Gates The will of Thomas Green Clemson called for the establishment of a "high seminary of . . . — Map (db m50972) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Clemson College World War I Memorial
In Proud Remembrance of Those Sons of Clemson College Who Gave Their Lives in the Great Cause 1917 - Of Liberty and Justice - 1918 Claude S. Garrett '17 1st Lt. 8th Aero Sq. Richard H. Johnson '15 1st Lt. 56th Inf. George L. McCord . . . — Map (db m21445) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — 39-9 — Clemson University
[Front Side]: Clemson University was founded in 1889 as the Clemson Agricultural College of S.C., with its origins in the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 creating public land-grant colleges. It was established by a bequest from Thomas Green . . . — Map (db m14387) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — First Woman Graduate
Margaret Marie Snider came to the College in January, 1955. She transferred to Clemson from Anderson College and finished her degree in 1957. Snider was the first woman to complete degree requirements at Clemson. She studied chemistry, then houses . . . — Map (db m20420) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Hanover House
Built for Paul de St Julien in 1716 in Berkley County, S.C. Hanover was reconstructed on campus in 1941 and was relocated to this site in 1994. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m13162) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Heritage Gardens
The Heritage Gardens Project was initiated in 1990 by the Class of 1939. Sponsored by several loyal classes, alumni, and friends of Clemson, its design and early stages of construction was managed by the Class of '39 Heritage Gardens Committee, . . . — Map (db m19471) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Memorial Park / The Scroll of Honor
[North Entrance]: Clemson University Memorial Park This park honors Clemson University's legacy of service. It is a tribute to those who have served, to those who are serving, and to those who will serve. [South . . . — Map (db m55148) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — The Charles and Betty Cruickshank Hosta Garden
Hostas are herbaceous perennials grown primarily for their foliage. There are more than 1500 species, cultivars and hybrids in the genus Hosta, and new ones are introduced every year. Hosta leaves come in various shades of green, yellow . . . — Map (db m19601) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — The Old Stone ChurchA Frontier House of Worship
Significance The Old Stone Church, along with the visitor sites of Pendleton Village, Fort Hill Plantation and Oconee Station, reflect the area;s transition from frontier to antebellum South Carolina society. The Church's early membership . . . — Map (db m14459) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — The Old Stone ChurchThe Cemetery
A Few of the People Interred Here Buried within the cemetery grounds are people involved in the Indian campaigns of the late Colonial Period, soldiers and patriots of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Indian/Creek War of 1815-16, . . . — Map (db m14468) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Easley — Golden Creek MillWater Power
The original mill on Golden Creek was built across the creek from the present day Golden Creek Mill by William O'Dell in 1815. The ruins are still visible today. In a deed dated 1836, the property was transferred to John Arial and listed as . . . — Map (db m15527) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — Soapstone Boulder
On this ancient soapstone boulder are two partially carved soapstone bowls, made by Native Americans around 5,000 years ago. The bowls were rough-shaped with flint chisels and then broken off before doing the final shaping. This boulder was brought . . . — Map (db m20375) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pumpkintown — Cornelius Keith - 1715-1808
In the cemetery of Oolenoy Baptist Church is the grave of Cornelius Keith, born in Loch Lomond, Scotland. Of royal lineage, the Keith family came to South Carolina from Virginia. Original pioneers of Oolenoy Valley, acquired land from the . . . — Map (db m33611) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Philip Simmons
Philip Simmons, renowned Charleston blacksmith, designed these wrought iron entrance gates and they were fabricated at the Simmons Blacksmith Shop by his apprentices Joseph Pringle (cousin) and Carlton Simmons (nephew). The men forged . . . — Map (db m50925) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Sir George Carteret(1615-1680)
Of Old French Stock From the Isle of Jersey N.C. Cape, County Named for Him New Jersey Named for His Birthplace Honored by Charles II — Map (db m50957) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-20 — Site of Columbia Female Academy
Authorized by legislature 1792, the Columbia Female Academy was located here from about 1820 to 1883, when this property was leased to Columbia Public School Commissioners, two of whom still represent the Academy Board. The remodeled academy . . . — Map (db m28042) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Spanish-American War Veterans Monument
[West Plaque]: Spanish War Veterans Insignia [South Plaque]: South Carolina Troops in the Spanish-American War First South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Second South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Anderson's Battery . . . — Map (db m50923) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The Figure Eight in South Carolina
The symbolism of the number "8" in South Carolina's history and government is probably a coincidence; it began with Charles II's appointment of eight (8) Lords Proprietors for the Carolinas. They are named in the fountain placques. Then there . . . — Map (db m50936) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The Gonzales Fountain
The Fountain was Given to the People of South Carolina In Honor of William Elliott Gonzales 1866 - 1937 A Founder and Editor of The StateMap (db m50955) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — Butler Methodist Church
Frame church with gallery for slaves built 1856-1857 on land given by family of Major General William Butler and wife, Behethland, who had lived on these grounds and lie buried in cemetery. First pastor, Rev. T. Sumter Daniel. This . . . — Map (db m12989) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — Flat GroveThe Bonham House
Flat Grove was built in the 1770's by Jacob Smith of hand-hewn, heart-pine logs covered with clapboard. Alamo hero James Butler Bonham, son of James and Sophia Smith Bonham and grandson of Jacob Smith, was born in 1807 in the house, which is today . . . — Map (db m41597) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Saluda — Saluda Old Town Treaty, July 2, 1755"I bring a little child that he might tell future generations what is now agreed to."
At Old Saluda Town, about ten miles north of here, July 2, 1755, Governor Glen obtained from Old Hop and other chiefs of the Cherokee Nation the cession of the territory embraced by the present counties of Spartanburg, Cherokee west of Broad . . . — Map (db m39295) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Duncan — Abner Creek Baptist Church
Dedicates this marker to the lasting memory of those people whose unselfish efforts organized and sustained this church with God's help through the years Abner Creek Baptist Church organized Sept 26, 1832 in the home of William and Sarah . . . — Map (db m40061) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — McClimons Memorial
In memory of Hugh Porter McClimons, his wife, Jane Bailey, and her brothers, Hugh and Robert Bailey, pioneers, who helped build this section of Greenville and Spartanburg district. Hugh Porter McClimons came from Aronak, Ireland, at the age . . . — Map (db m22445) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-22 — Mount Zion Baptist Church Cemetery
(Front): Mount Zion Baptist Church, founded as early as 1804 as an affiliated branch of Bethlehem Baptist Church, was formally established in 1827. The cemetery here, dating from 1832, includes the graves of many early church families and . . . — Map (db m12409) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Cross Anchor — 44-7 — Battle of Blackstock’s
This battle of the Revolution took place on William Blackstock’s plantation, 3 miles N. on the south side of the Tyger River, November 20, 1780. Gen. Thomas Sumter commanded the American patriots who repulsed Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton’s . . . — Map (db m11111) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union County Confederate Monument
[East Side]: In Memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Union County, South Carolina. [North Side]: Truth, courage, and patriotism endure forever. [South Side]: These were men who gave their live and . . . — Map (db m13536) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — 45-3 — Battle of Kingstree
Somewhere northwest of Kingstree on the night of Aug. 27, 1780, while scouting for Gen. Marion, a South Carolina militia company led by Maj. John James attacked a British force sent to ravage Williamsburg District, capturing prisoners and . . . — Map (db m25000) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Americans in Redcoats
These things are ominous - these are the damned yelling boys! Abraham DePeyster, New York loyalist officer British war drums bellowed the alarm as 120 battle-hardened veterans in red took their places in line here they were the first to . . . — Map (db m125172) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Artisan With Fire
While every farmer needed basic blacksmithing skills to make or mend small simple objects like horseshoes and nails, only the village smithy had the expertise to craft substantial articles such as kitchen and farm tools, blades and hinges. . . . — Map (db m50863) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Major William Chronicle — Oct. 7, 1780
Here Fell Major William Chronicle Oct. 7, 1780 — Map (db m17514) HM
South Carolina (York County), York — 46-30 — David E. Finley Birthplace
[Front]: David Edward Finley, Jr. (1890-1977), first director of the National Gallery of Art, was born in this house. Finley moved to Washington, D.C. as a child when his father was elected to Congress and was educated at the University . . . — Map (db m11156) HM

2203 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2003
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.