Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1916 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1716
 
James H. Carson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Richard Wisehart
James H. Carson Marker
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Adalbert Stifter and the Solar Eclipse
Von hier aus beobachtete Adalbert Stifter am 8. Juli 1842 die einzige im Wien der Neuzeit eingetretene totale Sonnenfinsternis Errichtet 1994 auf Initiative des Jugendclubs "Dingi-Vindemiatrix" . . . — Map (db m107154) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Braunbastion / The Braun Bastion
Mit der Errichtung der Stadtbefestigung Wiens wurde im 16. Jahrhundert begonnen. An dieser Stelle stand die Braunbastion ein der Stadtmauer vorgebautes Verteidigungsbauwerk. Die unteren Partien des Mauerwerks waren aus Gründen der . . . — Map (db m112861) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Father Wilhelm Janauschek
Der Ehrwürdige Diener Gottes Pater Wilhelm Janauschek Redemptorist

wurde hier, Spiegelgasse 4 Am 19. Oktober 1859 geboren

Er starb in Wien, im Ruf der Heiligkeit am 30. Juni 1926.

Das St. Klemens . . . — Map (db m121717) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ferenc Rákóczi
[Marker text in Hungarian:] Ennek az épületnek á helyén allt a XVII. század végén az Aspremont-palota. Ilt szállt meg gyakori bécsi tartózkudásai idején az 1690-es években II. Rákóczi Ferenc, az . . . — Map (db m105870) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Franz Schubert
War von 1808 bis 1813 Schüler des akademischen Gymnasium, damals Bäckerstrasse 20. Österreichische Gesellschaft für Musik Bundesministerium für Unterricht und Kunst [English translation:] Was from . . . — Map (db m105119) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Gottlieb Muffat
In einem Vorgängerbau dieses Hauses, dem sogenannten Eineder - oder Muffathaus, Lebten im 18. Jahrhundert mehrere Mitglieder der Musikerfamilie Muffat. Der Komponist und Kaiserliche Hof- und Kammerorganist Gottlieb . . . — Map (db m105034) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Lise Meitner
maturierte 1901 als externe Schülerin am akademischen Gymnasium in Wien.

Sie war massgeblich an der Endeckung und Interpretation der Kernspaltung beteiligt.

[English translation:] Graduated in 1901 from . . . — Map (db m113506) HM

Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Ludwig Hevesi1843-1910
Der aus Ungarn stammende Kunst- und Theaterkritiker sowie Feuilletonist des Fremdenblattes und des Pester Lloyd wohnte zwischen 1875 und 1910 in diesem Haus. Er war einer der einflussreichsten Verfechter und Chronist . . . — Map (db m108512) HM
Austria, Wien (Innenstadt), Vienna — Rudjer J. Bošković
Hier wohnte 1756-60 und 1763 der kroatische Gelehrte Rudjer J. Bošković S.J. und schuf sein Hauptwerk "Theorie der Naturphilosophie" aus einem einzigen Atomgesetz das physische Weltbild . . . — Map (db m123035) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — "Gassy Jack"1830-1875 — The Founding Father of Gastown
John Deighton was born in Hull, England. He was an adventurer, river boat pilot and captain, but best known for his "gassy" monologues as a saloonkeeper. His Deighton House Hotel, erected here on the first subdivided lot, burned in the Great . . . — Map (db m40204) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Vancouver — 64 Pounder Guns
In 1878 on the approach of an enemy cruiser squadron these 64 pounder muzzle-loading naval guns were hastily shore mounted to protect Esquimault. Subsequently they were issued to No. 5 Battery B.C. Brigade of Garrison Artillery, the first citizen . . . — Map (db m53894) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara-on-the-Lake — William Kirby1817-1906
In English: Born in England, Kirby came to Canada in 1839 and began work as a tanner in the vicinity of Niagara-on-the-Lake. There he developed his literary talents and soon after moving into the town in 1848 embarked on a long and . . . — Map (db m34915) HM
Ontario (Toronto County), Toronto — The Discovery of InsulinDecouverte De L'Insuline
{The marker has a both an English and French version. In English:} In one of the most important advances in modern medicine, a team of investigators isolated and purified insulin in a building which stood on this site. On May 17, 1921, . . . — Map (db m36194) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha, Prague — Here Albert Einstein Played the Violin
{Marker text in Czech:} V tomto domĕ „U Jedworožce,“ v salonu Berty Fantové, v letech 1911 až 1912 hrával na housle a setnával se zde s přǎteli, spisovateli Maxem Brodem a Franzem Kafkou, Profesor Teureticke Fyziky na . . . — Map (db m37595) HM
Czech Republic, Hlavní město Praha (Malá Strana), Prague — Michael the Brave (1558-1601)Mihai Viteazul (1558-1601) — , Michal Chrabrý (1558-1601)
{Marker text in Romanian:} În casa numită “U Divého Muže”, care se afla pe aceste locuri, a poposit, în anul 1601, Mihai Viteazul (1558-1601), apărător al crestinătăţii, primul unifacator al . . . — Map (db m40804) HM
Czech Republic, Ústecký (Okres Litoměřice), Terezín — Columbarium
In Czech: Kolumbárium Do choheb tohoto opevnění byly ukládaný lepenkové urny s popelem mrtvých vĕzňů. Všechny urny – bylo jich na 25 tisíc – esesáci koncem roku 1944 odvezli vĕtšinu popela . . . — Map (db m22744) HM
Denmark, Region Hovedstaden (Københavns Kommune), Copenhagen — Museumshuset / Museum Building
Bygningen blev opfort i 1871 med Christian Hansen (1803-83) som arkitekt. Formålet var helt frem til 1965 at huse universitetets zoologiske museum. Derefter blev den i nogle år anvendt til undervisning. Bygningen blev restaureret i . . . — Map (db m125270) HM
Denmark, Syddanmark (Nyborg Kommune), Nyborg — 3rd Regiment Operation Safari World War II Memorial
Til minde om kampen i Nyborg den 29 Aug. 1943

Kaptajn ved 20 Batl. C.L. Wesenberg R. af. D.

Kornet ved 6 Batl. K.B. Madsen

Menig ved 20 Batl. Ivan Jacobsen

Orlogsgast N.B. Olsen

De gave deres liv . . . — Map (db m127664) WM

Denmark, Syddanmark (Odense Kommune), Odense — Nonner på Vikingborgen / Nuns at the Viking Fortress
Vidste du, at der her på Nonnebakken har ligget en af Danmarks markante vikingeborge fra 900-lallet? En ringborg af samme slags som bl.a. Trelleborg ved Slagelse og Aggersborg ved Limfjorden. Byggeriet har været så omfattende, at der . . . — Map (db m127669) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — T11 — Die Revolution 1848 in Schwäbisch Gmünd / The Revolution of 1848 in Schwäbisch Gmünd850 Jahre Stadtgeschichte in Schwäbisch Gmünd
Im Früjahr 1848 kam es in ganz Deutschland zu heftigen Protesten der Bürger gegen den Obrigkeitstaat, die begleitet vom Aufruhr der städtischen Unterschichten, die unter Massenarmut und Missernten litten. Eduard Forster trat für die Ziele . . . — Map (db m121914) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Marktplatz Nr. 16
1780 erbaut von J.M. Keller für den Posthalter und Kantenwirt Johann Michael von Stahl. Das Haus steht in Wechselwirkung zum gleichzeitig errichteten Postamt. [English translation:] Built in 1780 by J.M. . . . — Map (db m108058) HM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Ostalbkreis), Schwäbisch Gmünd — Schwäbisch Gmünd War Memorial
1914-1918 sind 670 Söhne unserer Stadt Gmünd für Deutschland gefallen 1939-1945 gaben über 1000 Gmünder ihr Leben für die Heimat [English translation:] In 1914-1918 670 sons of the City of . . . — Map (db m108190) HM WM
Germany, Baden-Württemberg (Rems-Murr-Kreis), Schorndorf — 3 — Birthplace of Gottlieb DaimlerGottlieb-Daimler-Geburtshaus
Marker text in German: Erbaut frühstens 1695 Stadtrundgang Station 3 Marker in English: Built as early as 1695 City tour stop 3Map (db m77497) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — Georg Lankensperger
[Marker text in German]: Hier stand das Haus des Kgl. Bayr. Hofwagners Georg Lankensperger *1779 • † 1847 der 1816 die Achsschenkellenkung erfand Für Gespannwagen erdacht, ist diese Lenkungsart von entscheidender Bedeutung fr . . . — Map (db m57723) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Bei einem Backofen / At the Baker's Oven
Bäcker, Brot und Brötchen Vor seinem Backofen steht der Bäcker Hans Bapl und „schießt" mit einer langen Holzschaufel Brot in den Ofen. Das Volkacher Salbuch enthält eine Bäckerordnung von 1415, in der die Her-stellung des . . . — Map (db m100558) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Peter Ochs, Metzler / Peter Ochs, the Butcher
Metzger im Spätmittelalter Der Metzger Peter Ochs und sein Geselle Jobst Beutel sind bei ihrem blutigen Handwerk zu sehen. Der Metzger zerlegt den Ochsen, während sein Geselle einen Hammel schlachtet. Geschlachtet wurde im Hof oder vor . . . — Map (db m100527) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Kitzingen), Volkach — Von Rechtswegen über das Menschenblut zu richten / A Legal Process Driven by Human Blood
Die Richtstätte auf dem Galgenberg Weit außerhalb der Stadt liegt der Galgenberg: Dort wurden Todesurteile vollstreckt. Volkach war seit 1432 Hochgerichts-bezirk. Das Salbuch zeigt einen Hochgerichtsprozesses gegen einen Weindieb. Der Angeklagte . . . — Map (db m100522) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — "Gerolzhöfer Frauenaufstand" / The Gerolzhofen "Womens' Revolt"
Gedenkstein für den "Gerolzhöfer Frauenaufstand"

geschaffen vom Gerolzhöfer Bildhauer Erich Leuner (1931-1958)

Am 6. April 1945 versammeln sich rund 1000 Frauen und Männer unter Führung der Hauptlehrerin Josefine Schmitt . . . — Map (db m124234) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Baroque Crucifixion SculptureBarocke Kreuzigungsgruppe
Errichtet 1740 vom Bierbrauer-Ehepaar Johann Georg und Maria Barbara Stephan zur Erinnerung an drei ihrer 13 Kinder, die bereits im Kindesalter starben. Bei der Kirchenerweiterung um 1900 entfernt, 1985 wieder errichtet und 2008 renoviert durch . . . — Map (db m77628) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Gerolzhofen — Frankenwinheimer Tor / Frankenwinheim Gate
An dieser Stelle stand einst das westliche Tor der äußeren Stadtmauer, das so genannte Frankenwinheimer Tor. Um 1470 unter Bischof Rudolf von Scherenberg errichtet, 1568 nach dem Markgräflerkrieg umgebaut und erweitert. 1869 wurde . . . — Map (db m128972) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Herlheim — Minnesang in Herlheim / Minstrelsy in HerlheimDenkmal Route Volkach am Main - Mainschleife
Herlheim wurde schon 741 urkundlich erwähnt. Es handelte sich um einen fränkischen Königshof mit Kirche, Verwaltungssitz und neun Hofstellen -eine für damalige Verhältnisse stattliche Siedlung. Im Mittelalter behauptete das Dorf, das nun . . . — Map (db m120493) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Landkreis Schweinfurt), Oberschwarzach — Johannes Ludwig
Am 05.09.1640 in Oberschwarzach geboren Stand dem Kloster Ebrach von 1686 bis zu seinem Tod 23.05.1696 als Abt vor

-

(English translation:)

Born in Oberschwarzach on September 5, 1640. Served as . . . — Map (db m120678) HM

Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bamberg), Bamberg — The Old Main WatchEhem. Hauptwache
[Marker text in German:] 1774 unter Fürstbischof Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim nach Plänen von J.E. Roppelt erbaut militärische Embleme von Johann Bernhard Kamm Repräsentationsgebäude der fürstbischöfliche Infantrie . . . — Map (db m58812) HM
Germany, Bavaria (Stadtkreis Bayreuth), Bayreuth — Ein grösserer Meister: Joseph Haydn / A Greater Master: Joseph HaydnWalk of Wagner
Die Beziehung zu Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) begann bereits im Jahre 1831, als der 18jährige Wagner dem Verleger Breitkopf den Klavierauszug der 103. Haydn-Sinfonie anbot. 1846 führte Wagner dann „mit großer Freude an dem Werke" in . . . — Map (db m112273) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Würzburg — 13 — Augustiner Kirche / Church of St. Augustine
Bis 1813 Dominikanerkirche, fruhgötischer Chor um 1275, Langhaus 1741 von Balthasar Neumann.

-

English translation:

A Dominican church until 1813, the early Gothic choir dates from 1275, and the nave (was . . . — Map (db m128197) HM

Germany, Hessen (Frankfurt), Frankfurt am Main — Frankfurter Engel / Angel of Frankfurt
Homosexuelle Männer und Frauen wurden im Nationalsozialismus verfolgt und ermordet Die Verbrechen wurden geleugnet, die Getöteten verschwiegen, die Überlebenden verachtet und verurteilt Daran erinnern wir in dem Bewusstsein, dass Männer, die . . . — Map (db m100259) WM
Germany, Hessen (Landkreis Offenbach), Heusenstamm — Heusenstamm World War II Victims Memorial
Aus Anlass des 50. Jahrestages der Befreiung vom Nationalsozialismus gedenkt die Stadt Heusenstamm ihrer Mitbürger, die unter der nationalsozialistischen Gewaltherrschaft aus rassischen, religiösen oder politischen Gründen verfolgt und . . . — Map (db m108783) WM
Germany, Schleswig-Holstein (Stadtkreis Flensburg), Flensburg — Das Nordertor / The Northern GateEin geschichtlicher Rückblick / An historical overview
1345 wurde den Flensburgern von ihrem Landesherren die Erlaubnis erteilt, ihre Stadt mit einer Befestigungsmauer zu umgeben. Dabei entstand das "erste" Nordertor. Wie das Tor aussah und ob die Mauer wirklich die ganze Stadt umgab, ist . . . — Map (db m128412) HM
Iceland, Capital Region Höfuðborgarsvæði, Reykjavik — Bújarðir í Reykjavík / Farmsteads in Reykjavík
(first panel, English:)

Háteigur

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries drainage of marshland began in Reykjavik territory. The drained land was allocated for farming under leases with inheritance rights. Grassfields were . . . — Map (db m121548) HM

Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — de wereld bleef doof / The World Remained Deaf
[The memorial text is presented in three languages: (Dutch?) Sign Language, Dutch, and English; only the latter two are transcribed here.] de wereld bleef doof Ter nagedachtenis aan de Joodse Dove slachtoffers van . . . — Map (db m105173) WM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Hugo de Vries
Hier woonde en wirkte Hugo de Vries 1884 - 1916 [English translation:] Here lived and worked Hugo de Vries, 1884-1916. — Map (db m105658) HM
Netherlands, North Holland, Amsterdam — Polderhuisje (Polder House)
[Top panel:] Architect Onbekond Opdrachtgever Jan van Bemmel Bouwjaar 1865 Deze arbeiderswoning uit 1865 stond oorspronkelijk tussen de tuinderijen en aan de sloot in de gemeente Nieuwer Amstel, tegen de . . . — Map (db m100027) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht, Bunnik — The Tea House at Rhijnauwen - Since 1921Het theehuis» op Rhijnauwen - Sinds 1921
In het voorjaar van 1921 besloot de Gemeente Utrecht om "op een daarvoor geschikt te achten plekje van Rhijnauwen nabij den Krommenrijn een eenvoudig theehuisje te plaatsen ten einde wandelaars, wielrijders en roeiers een rustpunt te geven waar zij . . . — Map (db m99959) HM
Netherlands, Utrecht — Verzetsmonument Utrecht / Utrecht Resistance Monument
1940 - 1945 Gedenk uw dooden die den goeden strijd gestreden hebben in gerechtigheid. Draagt voort hun vlam, zij zijn gebleven, maar in dien gloed wordt ons nieuw leven. [English translation:] Remember your dead, those . . . — Map (db m100607) WM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Dawne więzienie miejskie / Former city prison
Skrzydło połnocne powstało w XIV w., ok. 1500 r. dobudowano trzy pozostałe, tworząc zamknięty dziedziniec. Gruntowna przebudowa w 1683 r. nadała budynkowi kształt zbliżony do dzisiejszego. Po . . . — Map (db m119319) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Edmund Bojanowski
W tym domu mieszkał w czasie studiów w Uniwersytecie Wrocławskim w latach 1832 -1836

Edmund Bojanowski 1814 - 1871

Założyciel zgromadzenia Sióstr Służebniczek NMP . . . — Map (db m118980) HM

Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Natalia Gorbaniewska1936-2013
Rosyjska poetka, dysydentka, obrończyni praw człowieka, dziennikarka, tłumaczka literatury polskiej, przyjaciółka Polski i Polaków. W 2005 r. przyjęła polskie obywatelstwo. 25 sierpnia 1968 r. . . . — Map (db m118874) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Stara Giełda / Old Exchange
Zaprojektowany przez K. F. Langhansa gmach, uroczyście otwarty 20 stycznia 1825 r., mieścił m.in. okazałą salę giełdową, użytkowaną także jako sala balowa i redutowa. Wcześniej w . . . — Map (db m119823) HM
Poland, Dolnośląskie (Wrocław Powiat), Wrocław — Wincenty Pol
W sierpniu 1847 R ogladał Plac Solny

Wincenty Pol

Autor „Pieśni O Ziemi Naszej"

Towarzystwo Miłośników Wrocławia 20 IV 1957 W 150 rocznice urodzin w . . . — Map (db m119824) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Feliks Nowowiejski
W tym domu w 1910 Feliks Nowowiejski skomponował muzykę do słów wiersza „Rota" Marii Konopnickiej

-

(English translation:)

In this house in 1910, Feliks Nowowiejski . . . — Map (db m119019) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — First Evangelical Church
W tym miejscu od roku 1572 znajdował sie pierwszy budynek kościoła ewangelickiego zburzony podczas tumultu w roku 1591

Ewangelicy Krakowscy w 450 rocznice powstania zboru

(English . . . — Map (db m118450) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Honoré de Balzac
. . . — Map (db m119018) HM
Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Józef Chłopicki
W tym domu mieszkał i umarł 30 września 1854 r.

Józef Chłopicki

Generał Wojsk Polskich Wódz i dyktator w walce o niepodległość Polski w roku 1831

(English . . . — Map (db m118519) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Kraków Powiat), Kraków — Rafał Józef Czerwiakowski
Tu żył i zmarł Rafał Józef Czerwiakowski 1743-1816 ojciec chirurgii polskiej

-

(English translation:)

Here lived and died Rafał Józef Czerwiakowski (1743-1816), . . . — Map (db m119023) HM

Poland, Małopolska (Wadowice Powiat), Wadowice — Wadowice Tobruk and Monte Cassino World War II Memorial
Ku Chwale Synów Ziemi Wadowickiej Podbeskidzia i Podhala Byłych żołnierzy SBSK   3DSK walczących za wiare i ojczyznę pod Tobrukiem i Monte Cassino

-

(English . . . — Map (db m119086) WM

Poland, Opole (Opole Powiat) — Holy Cross CathedralKatedra pw. Podwyższenia Krzyża Świętego / Dom zum Hl. Kreuz
Kościół gotycki. Według przekazu pierwszy kościół zbudowano za czasów Bolesława Chrobrego. W 1024 r. otrzymał relikwie Krzyża Świętego od św. Emeryka, królewicza węgierskiego. W . . . — Map (db m118572) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Erik Dahlbergh
Föddes i denna gränd den 10 Oktober 1625 Död i Stockholm den 16 Januari 1703

Soldat Ämbetsman Arkitekt

Skapare av Suecia Antiqua et Hodierna

Denna minnestavla uppsattes 1954 av Hembygdsföreningen Gamla . . . — Map (db m113504) HM

Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Riddarholmen
Riddarholmen is the historical nucleus of Stockholm, with buildings from several eras. The oldest is Riddarholm Church, which was inaugurated around the year 1300 as a part of a monastery. The monastery was founded by the Franciscan order around . . . — Map (db m113477) HM
Sweden, Södermanland Province (Stockholm County), Stockholm — Varuhuset PUB / PUB Department Store
Ursprungligen manufakturaffär, grundad av Paul U Bergström 1882. Byggt 1917-37. Huset vid Kungsgatan tillkom 1917, fasad Cyrillus Johansson, byggnaden mot Hötorget 1925, arkitekter E Bernhard och H Ahlberg. Husen mot Drottninggatan . . . — Map (db m113494) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Charles Lamb
Elia To the immortal memory of Charles Lamb Perhaps the most beloved name in English literature who was a bluecoat boy here for 7 years B. 1775   D. 1834 [Lower panel:] This memorial was moved here in . . . — Map (db m111337) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Giltspur Street Compter
Site of the Giltspur Street Compter Demolished 1854 — Map (db m111142) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Grey Friars Monastery
Site of Grey Friars Monastery 1225-1538 — Map (db m120791) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Johnson's Court
. . . — Map (db m112034) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — Northumberland House
Site of Northumberland House — Map (db m116853) HM
United Kingdom, England, City of London — The Tipperary
The pub was built on the side of a monastery which dated to 1300 where, amongst other duties, the monks brewed ale. This site was an island between the River Thames and River Fleet which still runs under the pub that is now little more than a . . . — Map (db m116403) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — John Adams
In this House Lived John Adams First American Minister to GREAT BRITAIN, May 1785 to March 1788 afterwards Second President of the UNITED STATES From here his Daughter ABIGAIL was married to COLONEL WILLIAM STEPHENS SMITH, . . . — Map (db m109295) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Mont Blanc Restaurant
Site of the Mont Blanc Restaurant where leading writers, including Belloc, Chesterton, Conrad and Galsworthy met regularly in the early years of the 20th century. — Map (db m116773) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Simón Bolívar1783-1830
Liberator of Latin America lodged here in 1810 — Map (db m111186) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — Sir George Frederic Still1868-1941
Pædiatrician lived here — Map (db m109285) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — St. George's School World War I Memorial
To the glory of God and in memory of those once scholars of this school who gave their lives for King & Country in the Great War 1914-1918

Let thy perpetual light shine upon them O Lord — Map (db m120763) WM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), City of Westminster — The Jewel Tower
The Jewel Tower was built for King Edward III in 1365-66 by Henry Yevele, the 'deviser of the King's works of masonry'. It formed part of the king's palace and was designed as a private treasury.

The walls are mainly built of Kentish . . . — Map (db m111722) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Captain Matthew Flinders, R.N.1774 - 1814
Explorer and Navigator

lived here — Map (db m115547) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens

Lived in a house on this site 1824-1829 Later to be the home of The David Copperfield Childrens Library 1922-1932 — Map (db m117151) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — George Bernard Shaw
George Bernard Shaw lived in this house from 1897 to 1898

————————

From the coffers of his genius he enriched the world

Map (db m120841) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — George Dance (The Younger)
George Dance The Younger 1741-1825 Architect lived and died here — Map (db m109497) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Lady Ottoline Morrell1873 - 1938
Literary Hostess and Patron of the Arts lived here — Map (db m111457) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Robert Owen1771-1858
Father of the Co-operative movement lived here 1832-1840 — Map (db m109553) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir George Williams
1879-1905 Sir George Williams 1821-1905 Founder of the Young Men's Christian Association Lived at No. 13 Russell Square — Map (db m109551) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Harry Ricardo1885 - 1974
Mechanical Engineer was born here — Map (db m111774) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Sir Johnston Forbes-Robertson
Actor lived here

Born · Died 1853 · 1937 — Map (db m112271) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — The Bloomsbury Group
Bloomsbury Group members Virginia Woolf Duncan Grant Adrian Stephen Leonard Woolf & John Maynard Keynes lived in a house on this site 1911-1912 — Map (db m111130) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — The Queens Larder
The earliest official reference to the tavern now known as The Queen's Larder is contained in a deed drawn up in 1710 when Sir Nathaniel Curzon let the house to a London Stationer named Matthew Allam. The mortgage was transferred during the . . . — Map (db m109117) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — The White Conduit
In the rear is The White Conduit (circa 1300.A.D) Originally part of the water supply to the Greyfriars Monastery Newgate Street — Map (db m110387) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Thomas Coram
THOMAS CORAM was born at Lyme Regis, Dorset in 1668. He became a Captain in the Merchant Navy trading between England and America. For several years he lived in America as a Shipwright gaining a great reputation as an expert on all matters . . . — Map (db m112120) HM
United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — Welcome to the Marchmont Community Garden
History of the Marchmont Community Garden site:

The site was at the heart of Lamb's Conduit Fields until the cash-strapped Governors of the Foundling Hospital allowed James Burton to build hundreds of houses on their Estate, including . . . — Map (db m121015) HM

United Kingdom, England (Greater London County), London Borough of Camden — William Empson
Sir William Empson Poet and Critic 1906-1984 lived here 1929-1931 and at 71 Marchmont Street 1934-1936 — Map (db m120461) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal PierBerkeley History — 1926
Berkeley's original shoreline was about where Second Street and the eastern side of Aquatic Park are located today. In 1853 a private wharf was built at the foot of what is now Delaware Street, and a working waterfront with factories and piers . . . — Map (db m36487) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Gilman HallUniversity of California — Berkeley, California, 1916-1917
Gilman Hall was built in 1916-17 to accomodate an expanded College of Chemistry under the leadership of Gilbert Newton Lewis. This building provided research laboratories and teaching facilities for faculty and students specializing in physical, . . . — Map (db m15870) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — The Lawrence 37-Inch Cyclotron
This is the electromagnet for the world's first major cyclotron. With it, professor Ernest O. Lawrence and others perfected the difficult cyclotron technology. Originally a 27-inch cyclotron, it was converted to a 37-inch instrument in 1937. . . . — Map (db m91800) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well
The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in . . . — Map (db m17944) HM
California (Alameda County), Livermore — Veteran's Memorial BuildingBuilt 1931
Donated to Alameda County by Livermore Post, American Legion City of Livermore Historic Preservation Heritage Site Dedicated July 1996 Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District — Map (db m17768) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — Antonio Bras Columns
These granite columns are all that remain of 4460 Howe Street, built in 1898. This residence was the home of various families connected to St. Mary's and Mountain View Cemeteries and their supporting business. 4460 Howe Street originally belonged to . . . — Map (db m18600) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — In Memory of Col. John Coffee Hays1-28-1817 • 4-21-1883
Born near Little Cedar Lick, Wilson County, Tennessee. Lived in Mississippi, where he learned surveying. Joined Republic of Texas Army in May, 1836, and served 3 years in ranger/spy companies. Gained fame as an Indian fighter while surveyor for . . . — Map (db m55204) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — John "Alex" Alexander1924-1993
John "Alex" Alexander spent his entire working life at Naval Supply Center Oakland. Symbolic of the many dedicated civilians who worked on the base, Alex inspired others through his tireless work on behalf of the community at large and promoted . . . — Map (db m63171) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — Native Sons Hall
In 1851 first building to be erected on south part of site, was Hanford and Downs General Store. That stores Liberty flag pole, marked center of incorporated town, 1854. In 1865, most of building destroyed by fire. Purchased in 1875 by Giovanni B. . . . — Map (db m10744) HM
California (Amador County), Volcano — Moose Milk
This plaque is in memory of the pioneers of California who assembled in Volcano where Moose Milk was originated. Dedicated this 13th day of January, 1951 by E Clampus Vitus. [A rededication marker, just below the main one, . . . — Map (db m9055) HM
California (Calaveras County), Angels Camp — James H. Carson
. . . — Map (db m7502) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Dunbar House
Built by Willis Dunbar for his bride. He was superintendant of the Union Water Company. On the original property were the lumber office and sheds of the Dunbar Lumber Company, built on the site of A. Sleeper & Co.’s lumberyard which Dunbar purchased . . . — Map (db m16097) HM
California (Calaveras County), West Point — HOSTAGE: A most painful experience of human suffering444 Days - "Free at Last"
All Americans have a partnership in the "ROCK" at West Point, California. ...It's purpose is to demonstrate the solidarity of the American people in their heartfelt concern and compassion for the 53 fellow Americans taken from the U.S. Embassy . . . — Map (db m91729) HM WM
California (Colusa County), Colusa — 11 — Will Semple Green House
. . . — Map (db m16762) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Clayton — The Clayton Post Office
The Clayton Post Office, established on October 4, 1861, is one of the oldest post offices in continuous operation in California. Ensuring its continuation in Clayton was one reason for incorporating the city in 1964. During the past 140 . . . — Map (db m24534) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — 16 — 815 Marina VistaCirca 1870
Built by William Jones, Hotelkeeper 1884 Bought by W.J. Hough and became "Hough's Saloon" 1891 Bought by Watkins Prosser 1915 Moved to present site Residence of Dr. H.D. Buckman family for many years Historic Marker XVI . . . — Map (db m16009) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Dr. John Marsh
. . . — Map (db m40614) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Former Anti-Aircraft W.W. II Barracks
324-328 Talbart Home of Historic Interest Former anti-aircraft W.W.II barracks, moved from Concord in 1961. Prior site of shared water tank house for neighboring two homes Built 1930 — Map (db m17177) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Marazzani Boarding House
. . . — Map (db m16211) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Pellegrini Home and Fish Company
103 Berrellesa Old Town Martinez Home of Historic Interest Pellegrini Home and Fish Company Luigi Pellegrini was a successful turn of the century fish buyer. This building opens to Alhambra Creek for easy fish unloading and . . . — Map (db m16212) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — The Schooner Forester
In front of you lay the hull remains of the schooner Forester. The schooner, launched in Alameda in 1900, would take cargoes of lumber from northern forests of Oregon and Washington to points in the Pacific including China, India, and Australia. The . . . — Map (db m91668) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Rodeo — Lefty Gomez Field
In Memory of Vernon Lefty Gomez, born Nov. 26, 1908, in Rodeo. New York Yankees pitching great from 1930-1942. Set World Series record with 6 victories and no defeats leading team to 7 pennants and 6 World Series Championships. Inducted into the . . . — Map (db m18033) HM
California (Glenn County), Bayliss — Bayliss Library
This historic Carnegie Library was built to serve the small, rural population of the surrounding area. It was dedicated on July 14, 1917, and has been in continuous use as a free public library since that date. The Willows Chapter . . . — Map (db m91797) HM
California (Glenn County), Orland — The Swift AdobeCalifornia Historical Landmark 345
The first house in Glenn County Built about 1848 by Granville P. Swift A member of the Bear Flag Party, who came to California from Oregon in 1844. The site is 150 yards east on the banks of Hambright Creek. The house was built of clay by . . . — Map (db m41864) HM
California (Humboldt County), Eureka — Metropole HotelClassical Revival Architecture - 1903 — Eureka Historic Landmark
Built for A.R. Abrahamson; furnished rooms upstairs; businesses and Abe's Chop House downstairs. This program possible through a partnership with property owners Evo & Catherine Fannucchi, Eureka Main Street, and the Eureka Heritage Society. — Map (db m61533) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — The Ice House
This site stared as a Meat Market in 1906, then became the Ice House. Ice was originally brought down from the "ice pond" in the hills and stored at the Ice House. Later it was manufactured here at the Ice Plant in 300 pound blocks that were . . . — Map (db m49333) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — The IOOF Hall
The International Order of Odd Fellows Lodge #241 established themselves in Upper Lake in 1876. The present structure was completed in 1898 at a cost for land and building of $3,109.02. This mutual aid society hosted numerous activities through the . . . — Map (db m55398) HM
California (Lake County), Upper Lake — The Tallman Hotel
Sometime before 1874, Rufus Tallman and his wife Mary Ellen established the Tallman Hotel on this site. When it burnt down in 1895, they rebuilt. The name was changed to Riffe's Hotel when their daughter Winnyford and their son-in-law Hank Riffe . . . — Map (db m49060) HM
California (Marin County), Larkspur — Greenbrae Brickyard Superintendent's Cottage
This cottage, built in 1891, once housed the superintendent for the adjacent Greenbrae Brickyard of the Remillard Brick Co., which was declared a California State Landmark in 1978. The cottage was renovated in 1985 through the cooperative . . . — Map (db m63988) HM
California (Marin County), Ross — Historic Dedication of the Lagunitas Road BridgeCorte Madera Creek — Ross, California - March 20, 2011
This structure replaces Bridge No. 27C0071, a contributing element to the Ross Historic Bridges District, eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. The original bridge was completed on January 13, 1910 as part of a $12,500 . . . — Map (db m63939) HM
California (Marin County), San Rafael — The Belrose Theater
In 1976 the Cultural Affairs Commission designated this building, by virtue of its Gothic window, historically & culturally of major significance. In 1913 St. Matthew's German Evangelical Church built this structure at a cost . . . — Map (db m63858) HM
California (Merced County), Santa Nella — 829 — Pacheco Pass
On June 18, 1805, Lieutenant Gabriel Moraga, on his first exploratory journey into the San Joaquin Valley traversed this pass and recorded it. Since then it has been trail, toll road, stagecoach road, and freeway -- the principal route between . . . — Map (db m70493) HM
California (Merced County), Winton — The Montpelier-Oakdale Railroad1890 to 1942
This important Southern Pacific Route was called by many names, also including, "The Stockton-Tulare Railroad", "The Oakdale Line", "The Oakdale-Montpelier Railroad", and "The Eastside Route". There were North and South bound trains daily. . . . — Map (db m91847) HM
California (Mono County), Bodie — Bodey’s Grave
. . . — Map (db m8549) HM
California (Mono County), Lee Vining — West Portal
East of this site was located West Portal, the largest of 4 'camps' or company towns, built in 1934 by the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power for employees and their families who worked on the Mono Basin Project. At the height of . . . — Map (db m8173) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Monterey Harbor
□ Look out upon these waters. □ Their recorded history began when Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo sighted the "Bay of Pines" on Nov. 17, 1542. □ Sebastian Viscaino was first to touch land Dec. 16, 1602. He claimed the land for . . . — Map (db m30347) HM
California (Monterey County), Soledad — The De Anza Expedition in Soledad
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by Decree of Carlo III of Spain led an expedition near this site — the mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris Birkland . . . — Map (db m27188) HM
California (Napa County), Yountville — The Pioneer Christian Church Bell
This bell cast in 1848, hung from 1854 until 1896 in the Pioneer Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). On demolition of the church, the bell was rescued by Senator C.L. LaRue. Presented by the Ellis McLanahan family, In the interest of local . . . — Map (db m49553) HM
California (Placer County), Roseville — Eagles Hall
Built in 1912, various businesses have occupied this building over the years, including Placer Savings, the Rainbow Club, Schmidt's Delicatessen and Dutra Liquors. Known as Gordon Hall, the upstairs became a popular gathering place used by . . . — Map (db m91386) HM
California (Sacramento County), Freeport — Freeport Railroad1863-1865
In 1863 a ten mile long short line was built from Brighton Station on the Sacramento Valley RR to this here spot. It was called “Freeport” because it avoided the high charges for landing freight and passengers at the Sacramento City . . . — Map (db m8869) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Rededication of El Centro Mexicano PlaqueSeptember 16, 2011
First panel: The Comité Centro Mexicano commemorates the same respect and sense of equality dictated by this historical plaque. With great honor we re-dedicate it in honor of all humanity on this date. From 1948 to 1975, El Centro . . . — Map (db m91735) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — The First Hundred Years are the Hardest
When Sacramento bought steam pumpers the volunteers could not keep their steam? up, so they hired professional firemen. Since March 30, 1872, Sacramento paid firemen have always been the first to respond to any crisis. New Helvetia Chapter No. 5, . . . — Map (db m38318) HM
California (San Benito County), Hollister — Hollister Train Service
The Tres Pinos Branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad began train service to Hollister on July 13, 1871. Train service was a main reason the population grew from 300 in 1870 to over 2000 in 1873. Besides passenger service, major commodities shipped . . . — Map (db m26832) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Baker — 22 — Francis Marion "Borax" Smith
Francis Marion "Borax" Smith built the railroad to move borax out of the hills and Death Valley in 1907 to replace the twenty mule teams that crossed this way to Ludlow. — Map (db m123898) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — José Sarria(1922-2013) — Rainbow Honor Walk
Army veteran, drag performer, politcal activist, first openly gay candidate for public office in the world, founder of the Imperial Court System

Jose SarriaMap (db m120176) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Mona's 440 Club"Where Girls Will Be Boys" - 440 Broadway
Originally opened in 1934, Mona's Club moved to 440 Broadway in 1939 and is credited with being San Francisco's first openly lesbian club. The venue featured female entertainers dressed as men, an inverse to the transgender theme of nearby . . . — Map (db m116012) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Officer Jane Warner
Jane Warner spent two decades keeping the peace in the city's Castro, Noe Valley and Mission neighborhoods as a San Francisco Patrol Special Police Officer. To her many friends, she was simply known as "Officer Jane". She was dedicated not only . . . — Map (db m64229) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Pioneer Monument / California Native Americans
[Panel 1:] Pioneer Monument Sculptor, Frank Happersberger (1859-1932) Dedicated to the City of San Francisco on November 29, 1894, the Pioneer Monument was a gift of philanthropist James Lick. Lick, who died in 1876, left . . . — Map (db m32183) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Propellers from Klamath
The ferryboat Klamath was built in San Francisco in 1925 and often operated out of Hyde Street Pier. These steel propellers were taken off when she was converted to office space in 1964. Both propellers show signs of cavitation, which occurs . . . — Map (db m117351) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Rikki Streicher(1926-1994) — Rainbow Honor Walk
San Francisco entrepreneur and sports advocate who worked within the City's bar culture to create social activism — Map (db m120448) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 810 — Site of Old St. Mary’sCornerstone 1853 - Dedicated 1854
The first building erected as a cathedral in California, Old Saint Mary’s served the archdiocese of San Francisco in that capacity from 1854 to 1891. Once the City’s most prominent building, much of its stone work was quarried and cut in China and . . . — Map (db m9176) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 587 — Site of the First Public School in California
This marks the site of the first public school in California Erected in 1847 — Opened April 3, 1848 This commemorative marker was erected in 1957 by the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of California . . . — Map (db m53965) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 650 — Site of What Cheer House
This is the site of the famous What Cheer House, a unique hotel opened in 1852 by R. B. Woodward and destroyed by the fire of 1906. The What Cheer House catered to men only, permitted no liquor on the premises, and housed San Francisco's first free . . . — Map (db m33319) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The CondorWhere It All Began
The birthplace of the world’s first topless & bottomless entertainment. Topless • June 19, 1964 Bottomless • September 3, 1969 Starring Ms. Carol Doda San Francisco, California — Map (db m9238) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Golden Hydrant
Though the water mains were broken and dry on April 18, 1906 yet from this GREENBERG hydrant on the following night there came a stream of water allowing the firemen to save the Mission District.

DEDICATED to Chief Dennis Sullivan and the men . . . — Map (db m120358) HM

California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — The Hawley Terminal BuildingConstructed in 1924 — A Contributory Structure to the South End Historic District
This reinforced concrete, stucco clad building is contributory to the South End Historic District, as a representative of a warehouse structure constructed within the Historic District's period of significance, 1867 to 1935. The South End . . . — Map (db m21021) HM
California (San Joaquin County), Lodi — City Hall, Fire House and Jail
First Lodi owned city hall & fire house built 1912, cost $3995. Board of Trustees Geo. E. Lawrence, President J.M. Blodgett, C.A. Rich, F.O. Hale & C.A. Black Site of Lodi's jail, Water Tank & Electric Company (Cary Bros. . . . — Map (db m41399) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Gas Works
Site of the Yreka Gas Works which on Dec. 17, 1859 first lighted Yreka Streets. The gas was made by burning pine pitch. — Map (db m62857) HM
California (Solano County), Vallejo — A Large Carved Eagle (Wood)
The following entry appears in the official Shipyard Log of June 19, 1876: "A large carved Eagle (wood) was placed on the pediment of the office building today." No information is available as to the name of the artist, or the occasion for . . . — Map (db m91586) HM
California (Solano County), Vallejo — German Marder and Torpedo
This German Marder ("Pine Marten") and torpedo was captured during World War II and donated to Mare Island in 1947. Developed and used sparingly by the German Navy, they were used in the English Channel and Mediterranean. They were not considered . . . — Map (db m91483) HM
California (Sonoma County), Glen Ellen — Charles J. Poppe Building
Site of the Poppe Dry Goods & General Merchandise Store 1883-1937 and Glen Ellen Post Office First built of wood in 1883 Destroyed by fire in 1905 Rebuilt of stone with two stories in 1906 Damaged in 1906 Earthquake Rebuilt with . . . — Map (db m26468) HM
California (Stanislaus County), Newman — Orestimba
A local Indian word for "meeting place". Nearby are the famous Indian rocks and sycamore grove where mission padres met with the local Indian tribes. Visited by Lt. Moraga and Fr. Viader on October 25, 1810. Became a favorite watering place for . . . — Map (db m61582) HM
California (Stanislaus County), Patterson — Patterson & Western Railroad
The narrow gauge railroad winding some 25 miles from Patterson through Del Puerto Canyon operated from Sept. 20, 1916 to August 14, 1920. During World War I, the railroad brought the much needed minerals of magnesite, manganese chrome and . . . — Map (db m17968) HM
California (Yolo County), Davis — Lincoln Highway Marker
One of the markers erected by the California Automobile Association in the 1920s to designate the California portion of the Lincoln Highway from New York City to San Francisco. The Highway followed US 40 from Sacramento through Davis via Olive Dr. . . . — Map (db m9040) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Union Engine House
This was the site of the Union Engine House, which served as the headquarters of The Association of the Oldest Inhabitants of the District of Columbia from July 7, 1911 until July 4, 1956. The building was later dismantled to make room for the . . . — Map (db m87549) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Navy Yard — 1898John Holland
Holland launches the first practical submarine. Purchased by the Navy in 1900 as the USS Holland (SS-1), it uses a gasoline engine on the surface and is battery-powered under water. — Map (db m112756) HM
Hawaii (Kauai County), Kapaa — The Kapaa Japanese Stone Lantern (Ishidoro)Preserving the History of Kapaa’s Issei Generation
The 15-foot cast concrete lantern was constructed in 1915 by Kaua‘i’s first generation Japanese immigrants. As a tribute to their homeland, the lantern commemorates the 1912 coronation of Emperor Taisho. An inscription reads: “Great Japan . . . — Map (db m9786) HM
Hawaii (Kauai County), Waimea — Menehune DitchHistorical Landmark - Territory of Hawaii
The row of hewn stone along the inner side of the road is a remnant of one wall of a water-course which is said to have been made by the MENEHUNES (Hawaiian dwarves or Brownies) The stones were brought from Mokihana There is an old saying: . . . — Map (db m27646) HM
Nevada, Carson City — 1 — Empire and the Carson River Mills1864 - 1964
When the Comstock Lode was discovered in 1859, the problem of reducing the ore from the fabulously rich Virginia City mines had to be solved. Mills were built in Gold Canyon and Six Mile Canyon. In Washoe Valley, at Dayton, and on the Carson River . . . — Map (db m55083) HM
Nevada (Douglas County), Gardnerville — Gardnerville Branch Jail1440 Courthouse Street — Christensen and Madison, Contractor
Constructed by Douglas County on land donated by the East Fork Township's Fourth Justice of the Peace, Mr. L.S. Ezell in 1910. The main jail in Genoa was destroyed by fire in 1910, and the Gardnerville Branch Jail was quickly placed in full service. . . . — Map (db m21409) HM
Nevada (Douglas County), Minden — Minden Dry Goods
First opened in 1910 by Chris Christoffersen. This was the first store in Minden of its type, selling dry goods, clothing, shoes, and cameras. Later, the store was operated by Lin Blondin and Ken Watson. In time, it became known as Town and Country . . . — Map (db m23578) HM
Nevada (Douglas County), Minden — The Heidlberg
Built in 1910, few buildings in Minden have experienced a more diverse life. Its many uses include a saloon/bar, card parlor, soda fountain, grocery store, and several restaurants. — Map (db m23361) HM
Nevada (Lyon County), Dayton — 199 — Camels in Dayton
Camels were imported into the United States for military purposes in the mid-1850's. Lt. Edward Beale of the U.S. Army tested the animals for caravan operations in the deserts of the Southwest. The experiment was not successful and the camels . . . — Map (db m41082) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — Grist and Saw Mill
Site of Grist and saw mill of Daniel Raynor. Raynortown settled by Edward Raynor or his children, 1659 — Map (db m126825) HM
New York (Nassau County), Freeport — Two Shipwrecks and the Life Saving Service
In 1836 two Sailing ships The Bristol & The Mexico were wrecked near Long Beach 215 died in these two wrecks 139 bodies are buried in a mass grave in Lynbrook, N.Y. called The Mariners Burial Ground Many Freeport men & volunteers . . . — Map (db m127701) HM
New York (Nassau County), Rockville Centre — Anvil
This is the Anvil over which the first mass was offered in Rockville Centre in the summer of 1887 in the blacksmith shop of Mr. Walter Johnson on Centre Avenue

Donated by Mr. Frank Calitri in memory of J. . . . — Map (db m121014) HM

New York (Nassau County), Wantagh — Jerusalem
An early English settlement established in this area circa 1666 by John Seaman, a founder of the Town Of Hempstead in 1644 — Map (db m126857) HM
New York (Nassau County), Westbury — Westbury World War II Memorial
In memory of the men of Westbury Community who gave their lives for their country in the Second World War 1941 - 1945 Edward S. Apcenski • George Baisley • Frank M. Brown • Thomas M. Brown • Michael J. Buffalino • Thomas Hitchcock . . . — Map (db m99574) WM
New York (New York County), New York — 163-165 West 57th StreetNew York City Designated Landmark
Constructed in 1916 and designed by architects George A. & Henry Boehm, this building was built for the Louis H. Champ Normal School of Dancing. The asymmetrical facade of this five-storey structure has motifs inspired by the Italian Renaissance and . . . — Map (db m111018) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A. Philip Randolph Square.074 Acre
"The idea of separatism is harkening to the past and it is undesirable even if it could be realized, because the progress of mankind has been based upon ... social, intellectual and cultural contact." —A. Philip Randolph, 1969 Asa Philip . . . — Map (db m105314) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Allen Ginsberg1926-1997
Internationally acclaimed poet and Member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters lived here from August 1958 to March 1961. His signal poem Howl (1956) helped launch The Beat Generation. Kaddish (1961), a . . . — Map (db m105140) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Dr. Gertrude B. Kelly Playground.52 Acre
Dr. Gertrude B. Kelly (1862-1934), a pioneer surgeon and philanthropist, was born in Ireland and emigrated to the United States in 1873. She studied at the Women's Medical College of the New York Infirmary for Women and Children, which was . . . — Map (db m126139) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Gay Men's Health Crisis
First Permanent Home Gay Men's Health Crisis 1982-1984 Co-founded 1981 by:

Nathan Fain Larry Kramer Dr. Lawrence Mass Paul Popham Paul Rapoport Edmund White ————————— . . . — Map (db m125928) HM

New York (New York County), New York — General Philip Henry Sheridan
This expressive bronze portrait of General Philip Henry Sheridan (1831-1888), created by Joseph Pollia (1893-1954), was unveiled in Christopher Park in 1936. The sculpture honors the distinguished Civil War cavalry commander for whom the surrounding . . . — Map (db m98720) HM WM
New York (New York County), New York — George Herman "Babe" Ruth1895 - 1948
"The Sultan of Swat" led the New York Yankees to seven pennants between 1920 and 1934. Ruth hit 714 career home runs, a record until 1974. He lived here for several years, beginning in 1929, and then moved to 173 Riverside Drive. — Map (db m98467) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Houdini1874 - 1926
The magician lived here from 1904 to 1926, collecting illusions, theatrical memorabilia, and books on psychic phenomena and magic. Famous for daring escapes, no restraints-ropes, chains, straitjackets, bank vaults, or jail cells-could hold . . . — Map (db m98457) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Osborne ApartmentsNew York City Designated Landmark
The Osborne Apartments, built from 1883-85 to designs by James E. Ware, survives today as one of New York's rare, early luxury apartment buildings, located just south of Central Park in one of the City's first apartment districts. The Osborne's . . . — Map (db m113843) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Swing Low: Harriet Tubman MemorialHarriet Tubman Triangle
This larger-than-life bronze sculpture depicts abolitionist organizer and Underground Railroad leader Harriet Tubman (c. 1822-1913), and stands at the crossroads of St. Nicholas Avenue, West 122nd Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard in Harlem. . . . — Map (db m105284) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Woody GuthrieJuly 14, 1912 - October 3, 1967 — 74 Charles Street, Manhattan
Woodrow Wilson "Woody” Guthrie, composer of This Land Is Your Land, is considered a 'father' of American folk music. Known as "The Dust Bowl Balladeer,” he was born in Okemah, Oklahoma, and spent years traveling throughout the . . . — Map (db m125772) HM
New York (Queens County), Jamaica — Jamaica Center Sidewalk Clock
This sidewalk clock, originally locared at 161-11 Jamaica Avenue, is a fine example of a vanishing street amenity. Probably installed on Jamaica Avenue around the turn of the century and designated a New York City landmark in 1981, it is a . . . — Map (db m127376) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — 432 — Brunswick Home
Stephen R. Williams formed 1887 for disabled children and later adults. Became Brunswick Hospital 1931. Building razed 2012. — Map (db m126818) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — Cross-Island TrolleyHistoric Site
The Cross-Island Trolley line traveled from Halesite, Huntington to its southern terminus at the Amityville docks, from 1909 to 1919. Trolley passengers could transfer to ferries bond for the barrier beaches. — Map (db m114808) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Amityville — First Guided Missile
First Guided Missile September 11, 1916

Here Lawrence B. Sperry first demonstrated to the U.S. Navy the Perry Aerial Torpedo - the first guided missile.

Presented by Sperry Gyroscope Company during 1960, centennial year of . . . — Map (db m114811) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Babylon World War I Memorial
Dedicated ★ A.D. 1919 In Honor Of Ralph J. Billingsley • Leroy Johnson Edward Joseph Cockerill • Percy Landwehr Eugene Henry Floyd • Joseph F. Murphy Eugene Matthew Ford • Roland R. Murray John C. Huttle • Arthur Leigh Simrell . . . — Map (db m98881) WM
New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — Birth of the American Wireless
This is the site of the birth of the American wireless. A pioneer station here in 1901 first talked with ships at sea.

Guglielmo Marconi — Map (db m122816) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Babylon — The Babylon Village Fountain
On Memorial Day, May 31, 1897, the Babylon Women's Exchange presented the Village with an "enduring memorial" to their charitable work. With the last $400 remaining in the treasury, it was decided to purchase a drinking fountain for man and beast. . . . — Map (db m108812) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Bay Shore — Bay Shore 1695
1701 Secatogue Indian land purchased by John Mowbray. Queen Anne granted patent. Known as Awixa, Mechanics- ville and Penataquit. — Map (db m108409) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Commack — Town of Huntington
First purchase 1653. First school teacher 1657. Gov. Nicolls patent 1666. Gov. Dongan patent 1688. First church building 1686. — Map (db m126774) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Hauppauge — Vietnam War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during the Vietnam War 1961-1975

Longest War In U.S. History — Map (db m121346) WM

New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Captain James Berry
Capt's home, "Greatest of the light air skippers." Afterguard w/Capt. Haff on Volunteer 1887 & Defender 1895 America's Cup Defenders. — Map (db m111742) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Doxsee Clams
J.H. Doxsee developed unique canning process for clams/ seafood shipped nationwide from factory site 500' west. 1866 - 1905 — Map (db m114765) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Early Schools
Site Islip school buildings c. 1808, 1828 "Little Red", 1854 and 1869 Henry Brewster (1825) and Amos Doxsee (1834) were early teachers here. — Map (db m110986) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Islip — Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian Islip parish org. 1857. 1st chapel 1852 now south of single spire church 1869. Manse blt. 1895. Robert L. Maitland, major benefactor. — Map (db m106743) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Nissequogue — Nissequogue School
Built 1808 - Subscribers

James Smith · Ebenezer Smith · Thomas Smith · Richard Smith · Peter Jayne · Woodhull Smith · Micah Smith · Nicholas Smith — Map (db m126779) HM

New York (Suffolk County), Smithtown — Caleb Smith House
Originally built as a two-story farmhouse c. 1751 by Caleb Smith and his father Daniel Smith II, the building remained in the Smith family until 1888. The Brooklyn Rod and Gun Club (later named the Wyandanch Club) purchased the property and . . . — Map (db m126831) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Water Mill — First Watermill1644
Built by Edward Howell near this site for Southampton Colony — Map (db m111217) HM
New York (Suffolk County), Water Mill — Water Mill Rolls of Honor
[Left Tablet:] Revolutionary War Joseph Burnett · John Conklin · Henry Halsey · Jesse Halsey ·★ Shadrack Hildreth · Henry Ludlam · Jeremiah Ludlam · Matthew H. Sayre · Thomas Stephens Civil War Robert F. Benedict . . . — Map (db m111164) HM WM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — George Rogers House - 1929
George M. Rogers purchased this lot in 1918 and lived in its existing small house until 1929, when he engaged Van Evera Bailey, a noted Portland architect, to design this unique Arts and Crafts/Mediterranean style residence. Exterior is . . . — Map (db m119859) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Lake Oswego — The First People
In Prehistoric Times

Fifteen thousand years ago, the mouth of the Tualatin River was located at Like Oswego. The river's course changed when the cataclysmic Missoula floods poured down the Columbia Basin and inundated the Willamette . . . — Map (db m120526) HM

Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Methodist Episcopal ChurchJacksonville, Oregon
Dedicated the first Sunday in January, 1855 First church built in Rogue River Valley Tablet placed by Crater Lake Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1932 — Map (db m91766) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Rogue River Valley Railroad Depot1891 • 1925
This is the site of the depot of the Rogue River Valley Railroad which ran from Medford to Jacksonville Siskiyou Pioneer Sites Foundation Medford, Oregon — Map (db m91772) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Petrified Wood
This piece of petrified wood was found near the mouth of Moffett Creek when the Columbia River Highway was widened in 1950. The wood turned to stone as the fiber of the original tree, which lived during the early Miocene age (26 million years ago), . . . — Map (db m99223) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Pleasant Hill — Elijah BristowApril 28, 1788 - September 19, 1872
In 1845 Elijah Bristow and his wife (Susannah Gabbart Bristow) left their home in Illinois and traveled overland to California. They came to Oregon in the spring of 1846, following the Hudson's Bay trappers' route to the northern Willamette Valley. . . . — Map (db m99220) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Camp Hill — Rolling Green Cemetery Veterans' Memorial
Dedicated to All Veterans TSgt. Robert E. Schwab • Capt. Fredrick "Artie"Reid Hm1 Harvey B. Lease • Charles E. Thomas Lt. Cdr. Sea. II Howard A Miller • T Sgt George Mohnal US Army WWII Pvt. Howard B. Gibney • Sgt. Edwin F. Hensel, Jr. . . . — Map (db m98930) WM

1916 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1716
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.