Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

4779 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 4579
 
Norway Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 14, 2014
Norway Marker
Australia, New South Wales (Inglis), Tamworth — Vietnam War MemorialLest We Forget
For Australia 1962 – 1973 Their bodies are buried in peace and their names liveth for evermore Killed in Action From Tamworth Region 213780 Pte Wilson M.A.F. 1 RAR 8 Jan 66 2781465 2 Lt Sharp G.C. 6 RAR 18 . . . — Map (db m71048) WM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Jakob Hutter
Hier Wurde Am 25. Februar 1536 Jakob Hutter Haupt der Wiedertäufer in Tirol, auf dem Scheiterhaufen Hingerichtet. German-English translation: Here On 25 February 1536 Jacob Hutter Head of the Anabaptists . . . — Map (db m68115) HM
Austria, Tyrol, Innsbruck — Old Government BuildingAltes Regierungsgebäude
In seinem Kern aus zwei gotischen Häusern bestehend wurde dieses Gebäude 1569 von Erzherzog Ferdinand II. als Amtsgebäude für die “oberösterreichische Regierung” gekauft. Im 2.Stock spätgotischer Kapellenraum erhalten. Der durch ein . . . — Map (db m68797) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Empress HotelL’Hotel Empress
[English] This hotel was built between 1904 and 1908, and has since been enlarged twice. The architect, Francis M. Rattenbury, followed the practice of the Canadian Pacific Railway in employing the Chateau style, identifiable by the steep slate . . . — Map (db m49238) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Japanese Internment
On April 22, 1942, 273 men, women and children of Japanese ancestry were exiled from their homes in the Greater Victoria area. None of the survivors of this event ever returned to Victoria to re-establish a home. On August 4, 1992, 67 survivors . . . — Map (db m49127) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Old Victoria Custom HouseAncien Édifice de la Douane de Victoria
(English) Completed in 1875 in the Second Empire style, Victoria’s original Custom House is a distinguished example of the buildings erected by the new Federal Government after Confederation. It regulated the trade of the West Coast’s busiest port . . . — Map (db m49077) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — The Bell Tower
You are standing in Bastion Square. The Hudson’s Bay Company, whose legacy continues at the store on Government Street, established Fort Victoria here in 1843.

Acting on behalf of the British Columbia Government, the company sold the surrounding . . . — Map (db m49227) HM

British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Wesleyan Methodist Church
Upon this site stood Pandora Ave. Wesleyan Methodist Church, the corner-stone of which (the first in British Columbia) was laid by His Excellency Governor Sir James Douglas, August 15th 1859. Erected by Metropolitan United Church, Feb. 11, 1934. — Map (db m49152) HM
British Columbia (Greater Vancouver Regional District), Surrey — The Semiahmoo Trail
This trail was an ancient Indian travel-way linking tribal villages in the south to salmon grounds of the Fraser River. The first white explorers, lead by Chief Trader James McMillan of the Hudson’s Bay Company passed here in December of 1824. . . . — Map (db m60820) HM
New Brunswick (Saint John County), Saint John — The Landing of the LoyalistsDébarquement des Loyalistes
English On 10 May 1783 the Spring Fleet, carrying over 2,000 Loyalists, arrived at the Saint John River mouth. The exiles, mostly civilians from the Middle Colonies, established themselves in the newly-surveyed townsites of Parr and . . . — Map (db m77432) HM
Newfoundland and Labrador (Division No. 1 (Avalon Peninsula)), Placentia — Fort Frederick
A fort consisting of a semi-circular redoubt mounting twelve guns, a guard house, barracks and storehouse surrounded by a palisade was erected on this site in 1721 and was named after H.R.H. Prince Frederick, then Prince of Wales. Although the . . . — Map (db m78918) HM
Newfoundland and Labrador (Division No. 9 (North Peninsula)), St Lunaire-Griquet — L’Anse aux Meadows
English: Discovered in 1960, this is the first authenticated Norse site found in North America and could be Leif Ericsson's short-lived Vinland camp. Some time about AD 1000 Norse seafarers established a base here from which they . . . — Map (db m79611) HM
Nova Scotia (Annapolis County), Annapolis Royal — Masonic Stone of 1606
1738 - 2013 This replica of the Masonic stone of 1606 was presented to the Masons of Nova Scotia as a gift from the Most Wor. Bro. Roy F. Lively past Grand Master of Nova Scotia 2008-2009 commemorating the 275th Anniversary of Masonry in Nova . . . — Map (db m78668) HM
Nova Scotia (Annapolis County), Annapolis Royal — Sieur de Monts
To the illustrious memory of Lieut. Gen’l Timothé Pierre du Guast, Sieur de Monts, the pioneer of civilization in North America, who discovered and explored the adjacent river, A.D. 1604, and founded on its banks the first settlement of . . . — Map (db m78443) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Dartmouth — 17 — The Forge
The Blacksmith’s Shop Excavated by Dr. Davis in 1985, this forge operated during both the first construction period (1820s) and the second (1850s). It was here that workers and masons would have their tools repaired and stone picks . . . — Map (db m77982) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Black-Binney HouseRésidence Black-Binney
English Built about 1819 by John Black, successful merchant and Executive Councillor (1813-23), this house is a notable example of the finest Halifax residences of its day - the first important era of stone construction in the town. James . . . — Map (db m77657) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Norway
. . . — Map (db m77596) WM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The Grand DérangementGeorges Island - Halifax / Île Georges - Halifax
This monument/marker is made up of four panels, two in English and two in French. Each language has a panel dealing with The Grand Dérangement and Georges Island. On top is a large, round medallion featuring a map showing Acadian deportation . . . — Map (db m77625) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — The View from the Citadel / Le panorama vu de la citadelleThe Halifax Explosion / L’explosion d’Halifax — The Convoys / Les Convois
This marker is composed of five plaques on the same mounting. The marker stands on north wall of the Citadel overlooking Halifax Harbor. The markers are presented left to right. The Halifax Explosion / L’explosion d’Halifax . . . — Map (db m78257) HM
Ontario (Frontenac County), Kingston — Sir James Lucas Yeo1782-1818
English: Born at Southampton, England, Yeo entered the British Navy, served throughout the Napoleonic Wars and won rapid promotion by his ability. In 1813, already a Commodore, he came to Canada to command British forces on the Great . . . — Map (db m83616) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850
This company, incorporated in 1850, built a railway from Prescott to Bytown (Ottawa) for the shipment of lumber and farm products to markets of the north-eastern United States and Montreal. Substantial funds were raised at Bytown, Prescott and . . . — Map (db m83430) HM
Ontario (Leeds & Grenville Counties), Prescott — Prescott War Memorial
World War I 1914-1918 Arthur E. Baker • Howard Baker • Philip V. Blacklock • Cecil Bovaird • Ward W. Burke • John H. Davy • Jacob S. Doyle • G. Harvey Ewart • Ira H. Glasgow • Albert Hurlbert • Royal W. Kingston • Roy Lindsay • John A. . . . — Map (db m83466) WM
Ontario (Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Counties), Morrisburg — Aultsville Train Station and Locomotive 1008La Gare Aultsville et la Locomotive No. 1008
English: The St. Lawrence Parks Commission gratefully acknowledges the Save the Train Committee’s contribution of time and effort to fundraise and assist with the joint restoration project of the Aultsville Train Station. Aultsville . . . — Map (db m82244) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Hôtel-Dieu de QuébecL’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec
English: Founded on 16 August 1637 by the Duchess of Aiguillon and the religious order of the Augustines Hospitalières of Dieppe, the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec was the first permanent hospital established north of Mexico. As soon as they . . . — Map (db m80783) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — Irish Roots in Old QuébecThe Irish Settle and Flourish — La présence irlandaise dans le Vieux-Québec / Les Irlandais s'installent et laissent leur marque
This marker has text on both sides of the panel. Side A Irish Roots in Old Québec / La présence irlandaise dans le Vieux-Québec English: The Story in Brief History notes that the first . . . — Map (db m87056) HM
Quebec (Capitale-Nationale (region)), Québec — The Québec Garrison ClubLe cercle de la garnison de Québec
English: The Québec Garrison Club embodies the British tradition of private clubs in which the military and civil elites gather. Founded in 1879 by Canadian militia officers, the Club has hosted countless social and recreational events . . . — Map (db m81233) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Cholera arrives in the AmericasLe choléra arrive en Amérique — 1832
English: To prevent the disease from spreading to the general population, a military detachment hurriedly set up quarantine facilities on Grosse Île. Temporary wooden buildings were constructed: initially a 40 patient hospital with two . . . — Map (db m80683) HM
Quebec (Chaudière-Appalaches (region)), Berthier-sur-Mer — Grosse Île and Immigration to CanadaGrosse-Île et l’immigration au Canada
English: Grosse Île and the Irish Memorial National Historic Site commemorates the significant waves of immigration welcomed to Canada between the opening of the 19th century and the First World War. During this period Québec was Canada's . . . — Map (db m80672) HM
Quebec (Côte-Nord), Blanc-Sablon — Blanc-SablonNaishipinut
English: For nearly nine thousand years, Aboriginal peoples have been drawn to Blanc-Sablon's abundant shoreline resources. Research conducted on more than sixty archaeological sites along the western bank of the Blanc-Sablon River . . . — Map (db m79604) HM
Quebec (Gaspésie– Îles-de-la-Madeleine (region)), Percé — A Rock Forever Sculpted by Time and TideUn rocher sans cesse sculpté, au fil du temps et des marées — Parc National de l’Île-Bonaventure-et-du-Rocher-Percé
English: From the days of New France to today, many have spoken of its shape. “We came to Isle Percée… a very tall rock, with two steep sides and pierced by hole through which long boats and ships may pass at high . . . — Map (db m80647) HM
Quebec (Montréal (region)), Montréal — Cartier ResidencesLes Résidences Cartier
English: These two semi-detached houses were constructed about 1837, and each served as the home of one of Canada’s most distinguished statesmen, Sir George-Étienne Cartier (1814-1873), who occupied the east home from 1848 until 1855, and . . . — Map (db m82112) HM
Quebec (Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM), Coteau-du-Lac — Why a canal at Coteau-du-Lac?Pourquoi un canal à Coteau-du-lac?
English: Plans to launch an invasion of Canada during the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) brought to light a major weakness in the country’s system of defence. At the time, the St. Lawrence River was the only line of supply for the . . . — Map (db m83823) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — K.T.M. CompanyLa compagnie K.T.M.
[English] Built in 1899, this warehouse was taken over by the Klondike Thawing Machine Company 1n 1913. The growing hardware company was it the process of buying out other firms and expanding its line of goods even as Klondike gold claims were . . . — Map (db m49302) HM
Yukon Territory, Dawson City — Palace Grand Theatre/Le théâtre Grand Palace
[English:] “Arizona” Charlie Meadows, showman and self-made heroic figure built a lavish structure in 1899 to prospect gold directly from the miner’s pokes. Hugely successful over its first winter, the theatre offered vaudeville acts, . . . — Map (db m44890) HM
France, Aquitaine (Dordogne Département), Rouffignac-Saint-Cernin-de-Reil — Les Gravures et Peintures Prehistoirques de Rouffignac[Prehistoric Engravings and Paintings of Rouffignac]
furent scientifiquement découvertes le 29 juin 1956 par le professeur Louis-René Nougier, directeur de l’Institut d’Art Préhistorique de l’Université de Toulouse Romain Robert, Président – Fondateur de la Société Préhistoirque de l’Ariège . . . — Map (db m60391) HM
France, Aquitaine (Gironde Départment), Saint Emilion — La Maison de la Cadene/La Porte de la Cadene[The House of the Chain/The Gate of the Chain]
La Maison de la Cadene Une charte de 1291 concéda à Guillaume Renaud de la Cadene un emplacement situé à la port du même non. La maison gothique qu’il y fit construire fut remplacée au début du XVIème siècle par une masion à pans de bois et en . . . — Map (db m60520) HM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon (Hérault Départment), Beziers — Hôtel de Ville[City Hall]
Hier Agora, Forum, Maison communale... aujourd’hui Hôtel de Ville. Au XIII siècle, les Consuls de Béziers, bénéficiant de l’une des plus anciennes chartes communales consenties en Languedoc (1185), édifient une première maison commune. Suivront . . . — Map (db m60252) HM
France, Midi-Pyrénées (Tarn Département), Albi — Les berges du TarnThe Tarn Riverbanks
La rive gauche du Tarn correspond à un quartier peuplé dès le Haut Moyen Âge: le secteur des «Combes» . Ce nom évoque une topographie en forme de gouttière descendant vers le Tarn. Les Combes établissaient un lien véritable avec la rivière marquée . . . — Map (db m60352) HM
Germany, Bavaria, Munich — The Church of Saint MichaelSankt Michael
Sankt Michael Erbaut 1583 – 1597 im Auftrag Herzog Wilhelm V. von Friedrich Sustris German – English translation: The Church of Saint Michael Built 1583-1597 by Friedrich Sustris on behalf of Duke Wilhelm V. . . . — Map (db m68740) HM
Italy, South Tyrol, Bolzano — First World War Military Hospital
Questo edificio, già convento dei padri Domenicani dal 1276 al 1790, venne adibito durante la prima guerra mondaile ad imperial-regio ospedale militare. Il Capitano Medico Dr. Lorenz Böhler, VI fondo nell’agosto del 1916 la moderna traumatologia. . . . — Map (db m68733) HM
Switzerland, Valais (Visp (District)), Zermatt — Hotel Monte Rosa
Hier stand das Haus, in welchem Josef Lauber seit 1839 die erste Herberge von Zermatt mit drei und später acht Fremdenbetten führte. Alexander Seiler übernahm sie 1853 und errichtete 1855 an dieser Stelle das Hotel Monte Rosa mit urprünglich . . . — Map (db m67990) HM
Turkey, Ankara (Ankara Metropolitan Municipality) — Çengel HanYapin 1522 - Restorasyon 2005
English: History The Çengel Han was built in 1522-1523 during the reign of Kanuni Sultan Süleyman by Damat Rüstem Paşa who was married to the Sultan’s daughter Mihrimah Sultan. Though it was built close to 500 years ago, the . . . — Map (db m83891) HM
Turkey, Antalya Province (Aksu (district)), Aksu — Roman DoorRoma Kapısı
English: There are four doors opening into four directions on the walls of the ancient city of Perge. However, in the south, there are two doors which were made at Hellenistic and Roman periods and there is a courtyard of 72.2m between two . . . — Map (db m84209) HM
Turkey, Istanbul Province (Fatih district), Istanbul — Admiral HayrettinKaptan-i Derya Hayrettin Paşa — (Barbarossa / Barbaros) (1473 -1543)
English: This place belongs to "The Foundation of the Sons and Servants of Great Turkish Admiral Hayrettin (Barbarossa) Pasha." The sailors of the Pasha were resting here without losing sight of the sea. In the XVI Century, one of the . . . — Map (db m84709) HM
Turkey, Istanbul Province (Fatih district), Istanbul — Topkapi PalaceTopkapı Sarayı
English: Topkapi Palace was the resident of Ottoman sultans, and center of state management and education. Mehmed the Conqueror ordered the construction of a palace in Bayezid, at the location of Istanbul University at the present that would . . . — Map (db m84609) HM
Turkey, Izmir Province (Selçuk (district)), Selçuk — The Temple of HadrianHadrianus Tapınaǧı — Der Hadrianstempel
English: P. Vedius Antoninus Sabinus donated the small, temple-like monument which, according to a building inscription, honoured Emperor Hadrian (A.D. 117-138). The colonnade in front of the cella supports a so-called Syrian gable. The . . . — Map (db m84541) HM
Alaska (Skagway Borough), Skagway — Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway
Built in 1899 as headquarters for the Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway No. 1. The Brotherhood was established February 26, 1899 for the purpose of fraternal enjoyment and mutual aid. Over 30 camps were established throughout Alaska and the Yukon and . . . — Map (db m72784) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Public LibraryCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated 1982
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1930 Addition, Ripley/BOORA Architects, 1999 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Berkeley’s first free public library system was established in 1895, with branches in west and south Berkeley. The . . . — Map (db m52364) HM
California (Alameda County), Oakland — 28 — Oakland City Hall
Begun in 1911 and completed in 1914, this is Oakland’s fifth City Hall. Its construction was funded with a $1.15 million bond issue passed in 1909. The Beaux Arts design was by the New York firm of Palmer and Hornbostel, winners of a national design . . . — Map (db m72702) HM
California (Alameda County), San Leandro — Lake Chabot Historical WalkWelcome time travelers!
In February 1874 a large Chinese work force entered this woodland setting to begin construction of San Leandro Reservoir. Later renamed Lake Chabot after its French-Canadian originator Anthony Chabot, the dam was built using techniques Chabot . . . — Map (db m71648) HM
California (Amador County), Pine Grove — 37 — Clinton
Prospectors in 1849 traveled from the Mokelumne River through Clinton on the way to the diggins in Volcano. In the early 1850’s the camp of Clinton became a market town, supplying the placer miners of the middle and southern forks of Jackson Creek, . . . — Map (db m100578) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Butte 13 — Oroville Cemetery
Established in 1857 to replace the cemetery which served the original gold camp of Ophir City, remains from that graveyard were removed when the area now known as Hewitt Claim Park was mined thus forcing the relocation of the cemetery. This burial . . . — Map (db m61495) HM
California (Butte County), Oroville — Site of Boehme & Heep Saloon
Built 1855 Restored 1976 by Aerie No. 196 – Fraternal Order of Eagles, Oroville (Seal of the American Revolution Bicentennial 1776-1976) — Map (db m65907) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Martinez — Captain Joseph R. Walker
This monument erected in honor of his contributions as a soldier, mountain man, and explorer who through his efforts and those of his breed such as Jim Bridger, Thomas Fitzpatrick, Jedediah Smith, helped explore and open the way to the West. There . . . — Map (db m93508) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — "Old Borges Ranch"
Walnut Creek's Old Borges Ranchhouse, as the cornerstone of a working cattle ranch, was first built by Frank (Francisco) and his wife Mary Borges, their sons and daughters in 1899. Since then, this house has withstood five generations of the hard . . . — Map (db m93983) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Walnut Creek — 114 — St. Mary's Catholic Church1245 S. Main St. — 1884
Walnut Creek's first Catholic church was dedicated in 1884 on this site. A wooden structure of Gothic design, St. Mary's also served as a community center for many local Portuguese families. The parish later moved to its location on Mt. Diablo . . . — Map (db m93694) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — B.M. Food Market1919-1983 Baptiste Motte
At the age of 16, in the year of 1897, Baptiste migrated from Les Barraques, France, to homestead in the Jacalitos canyon, with a desire to be a cattleman. For living expenses, Baptiste worked fourteen years as an A.P. May store clerk-manager. The . . . — Map (db m63971) HM
California (Fresno County), Coalinga — Row of Store Buildings Destroyed By Earthquake in 19831904
In 1909 Dominique Bordagaray purchased six lots on 5th and “C’ Streets and built row stores on them as Coalinga began to grow. The row stores included a French laundry, cigar shop, and liquor store, bicycle shop and confectionery shop. The . . . — Map (db m63917) HM
California (Kern County), Rosamond — 130 — Willow SpringsCalifornia Historical Landmark
Willow Springs was a stage station on the Los Angeles-Havilah Stage Lines, 1864-1874. From here light traffic went through Oak Creek Pass via Tehachapi to Havilah and Kernville; heavy traffic went northwest to the Inyo mines, or via Jawbone Canyon . . . — Map (db m50249) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Pioneer Saloon
A saloon has been on this site since 1862. Originally known as the Humboldt Exchange, in 1863 the name was changed to the Pioneer. This bar is the oldest established business in northeastern California. — Map (db m87810) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Boardinghouses
The first boardinghouses were built by Red River Logging in 1915 near the mill in Pine Town. The consisted of wood floors and canvas tents. Nine 2 story units built on Birch Street housed 80 men each while two units south of Birch Street housed . . . — Map (db m56715) HM
California (Lassen County), Westwood — Westwood Masonic Lodge
This building was built in 1925 by George Peltier and was funded by The Red River Logging Company. The building housed the Free and Accepted Masons and was known as Westwood Lodge #502 F.&A.M. It has been a gathering place of friends and families . . . — Map (db m66082) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — DeBorba's819 Grant Avenue
Antone (Tony) V. DeBorba opened Deborba's Inn on Grant Avenue in 1906. When Prohibition forced him out of business, he leased a building at Grant and Highway 101 (now Redwood Blvd.) and opened "DeBorba's Stage Station," a favorite respite for . . . — Map (db m102600) HM
California (Marin County), Novato — Novato History Museum
This building was the home of the first Novato Post Office - February 2, 1856. Maintained by Novato Historical Guild. — Map (db m102582) HM
California (Marin County), Tiburon — 600 Bunkmates
Built in 1911, this concrete barracks building could house 686 men. By WW II, Fort McDowell has quarters for about 4,500 soldiers, including fourteen additional wooden barracks that once stood between the baseball field and this 600-man barracks. . . . — Map (db m69276) HM
California (Mariposa County), Coulterville — 332 — Coulterville
While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled in by pack train. Coulter and the town . . . — Map (db m46330) HM
California (Mariposa County), Hornitos — St Catherine Catholic Church
St. Catherine Church was built during the 1860’s probably in 1865. Before the church was built, priests came from Stockton to say Mass for the people of Hornitos. Priests from Sonora and Mariposa came for Mass after the church was built. In the . . . — Map (db m46937) HM
California (Mariposa County), Mariposa — St. Joseph’s Catholic Church
Built in 1862 by the people of Mariposa under the direction of Father Auger the church was dedicated and the first mass was said on January 18, 1863 by Archbishop Alemany — Map (db m46444) HM
California (Modoc County), Canby — Evans and Bailey Fight 1861
Monument site on top of hill — Map (db m87842) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Hunewill Upper SawmillBuckeye Canyon – 1863
Napoleon Bonaparte Hunewill and his wife Esther arrive in San Francisco from Maine in 1859, and early in 1861 they came to Aurora. Late fall found them building a home at Buckeye Hot Springs. In 1862, N.B. Hunewill has the Eagle Creek Lumber Mill in . . . — Map (db m49956) HM
California (Monterey County), Big Sur — House with a View
A luxurious home enjoyed magnificent views from this site. These walls and terraces are all that remain of a residence built in 1940 for Lathrop and Helen Hooper Brown. The Browns decorated the house with art by Degas, Dufy and Gauguin. They . . . — Map (db m68633) HM
California (Monterey County), Marina — A Coastal Attack the Army Couldn’t StopFort Ord Dunes State Park
Soldiers once guarded this shoreline against sea-borne attack, but one force proved too powerful to stop. Coastal erosion, the wearing away of these bluffs and beaches by ocean waves, has been steadily moving the coastline inland here since sea . . . — Map (db m68883) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — 400th Anniversary of the Naming of Monterey Bay by Gen. Sebastián Vizcaíno16 December 1602 – 16 December 2002
This date marks the 400th anniversary of the naming of Monterey Bay by Gen. Sebastián Vizcaíno, commissioned by Don Gaspár Zúñiga y Acevedo, Count of Monte Rey. Near this place, called Acasta and Hummukul by the Ohlone/Constanoan Esselen Nation, Fr. . . . — Map (db m68622) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Casa Amesti
One of the best examples of Monterey Colonial architecture in California. Finished about 1850 by Jose Amesti who came from Spain in 1822. — Map (db m63449) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Ed Ricketts’s BackyardHistoric Cannery Row
You are looking at the backyard of Ed Ricketts’s lab, Pacific Biological Laboratories, where Ricketts lived and worked during the 1930 and 1940s. He collected and preserved tide pool plants and animals and sold them to schools around the world. What . . . — Map (db m55143) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Mayo Hayes O'Donnell Library
Formerly first Protestant church built in Monterey. Built in 1876 Monterey Art & History Assn. Courtesy of Thomson J. Hudson Memorial FundMap (db m63092) HM
California (Monterey County), Monterey — Thomas Cole House
Thomas Cole, an English sawyer, built this home for his family in 1856. Used over time as a dwelling house, it became the headquarters for the local Nationalist Chinese Political Party in the early 1940’s. — Map (db m63224) HM
California (Nevada County), Grass Valley — Chinatown, Grass Valley1850 – 1938
Of the many gold rush imigrants, the Chinese were noted for their honest, sober and industrious characteristics. Each mining camp had its Chinatown and Grass Valley was second only to San Francisco’s. Former residents Duck Egg, Georgie Bow, Ah Louie . . . — Map (db m45126) HM
California (Placer County), Colfax — Murphy’s Saloon
. . . — Map (db m45376) HM
California (Placer County), Foresthill — Foresthill General Store
First structure in Foresthill. Built in 1857, it served the early miners and residents for over 110 years. It was a general store and early stop on the Auburn-Foresthill-Georgetown stage run. — Map (db m44040) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — Pacific Crest Trail
In the early 1930’s Clinton C. Clarke offered to the world his vision of a continuous trail stretching from Canada through 3 states to Mexico. “Along the summit divide of the mountain ranges traversing the best scenic areas and maintaining an . . . — Map (db m66157) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Olde Towne Corner Store
The “Chester Store”, now known as the Old Towne Corner Store was built in 1912 by George Olsen after he & his brothers subdivided the Olsen Ranch. It is one of the oldest buildings in Chester. It was purchased by Sue & Harry Isbell . . . — Map (db m56733) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — CHL 212 — P. LinthiouhDied Sept. 1852 — Age 19
O.H. Copied from tree, carved by comrade, 1852. — Map (db m56565) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — Romero PassBradshaw-Grant Pass
California-Arizona Route 1824 — Map (db m99274) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Barstow — Mojave Runners
The Mojave Indian Runners helped get messages and information to far flung villages. They could run up to 100 miles a day barefoot and only donned sandals on very rocky or spiney [sic] areas. A group of them met Capt. John Fremont in 1844 near where . . . — Map (db m50542) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — North Chapel, Building 208San Diego Naval Training Center — Liberty Station
Completed in 1942, The North Chapel Building featured leaded glass windows representing the 41 different training schools on site and one window representing the recruit. As the recruits at the Naval Training Center practiced many different . . . — Map (db m50742) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Christine Jorgensen(1926-1989) — Rainbow Honor Walk
American entertainer whose highly publicized gender change in the 1950s first brought widespread mainstream attention to transgender issues. — Map (db m99810) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Discarded Treasure
This marker is one of a series intended to commemorate the 150 years of the Port of San Francisco. It is composed of a captioned photograph and text entitled Did you know... mounted on a cylindrical metal pylon. A San Francisco . . . — Map (db m73134) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Ghost Ship - Lydia
"Alas, the whaling bark Lydia which has lain near the old Pacific Mail Dock for so long is no more. With stem embedded in the mud and bow high in the air, she has lain impervious to wind and weather. Her stout oak frames held together by . . . — Map (db m87092) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Site of Ship Niantic
The emigrant ship Niantic stood on this spot in the early days "when the water came up to Montgomery Street." Converted to other uses, it was covered with a shingle roof with offices and stores on the deck, at the level which was constructed . . . — Map (db m41125) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Westerfield House
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior circa 1882 — Map (db m72502) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Cayucos — Cayucos by the SeaCayucos Landing
Born in Bristol, England, Nov. 24 1824, James Cass came to N.Y.C. at the age of 12, then to California during the Gold Rush. His mining, mercantile, and farming led him to travel throughout the state. In 1867, he saw the potential of a shipping port . . . — Map (db m68608) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Harmony — The Town of Harmony
....grew up around a dairy, founded in 1869. Until 1907 the creamery changed hands several times. In these early days rivalries and feuding among the dairy farmers caused chaos in the valley. After one shooting death a truce was called. All agreed . . . — Map (db m68508) HM
California (San Mateo County), La Honda — Inverson Cabin Site
At this site stood the cabin of Christian Iverson the first european settler of record. Built in the 1860’s, the cabin was constructed of hand split redwood and had two rooms. It stood until the Loma Prieta Earthquakde of 1989. Iverson made his . . . — Map (db m52221) HM
California (San Mateo County), Redwood City — California SquareThe Path of History
California Square was a parcel of land located north of Marshall Street, between Hamilton and Winslow, diagonally located across the street from the Courthouse. The site was originally designated as a public park plaza in the Town of Mezesville . . . — Map (db m62599) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Campbell — Country Woman's Club
The Campbell Country Woman's Club raised the funds to build this Spanish Colonial Revival-style structure in 1923. The town library and public meeting rooms were housed here until the 1960's . The Woman's Club founded the Campbell Historical . . . — Map (db m101521) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Gilroy — Henry Miller Summer Home
This park was once the summer home of "the cattle king" Henry Miller. Mr. Miller was the dominant partner in the firm Miller & Lux. The large foundation on your left was Mrs. Miller's home, and the other two foundations were a dining hall and . . . — Map (db m54057) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Hollister — 1843 - Rancho de San Luis Gonzaga - 1931
This rancho was a grant from the Mexican goverment (sic) to Jose, Maria, Mejia and Juan Perez Pacheco made November 4, 1843 and signed by Manuel Micheltorena, Mexican governor of the Californias. The grant contained eleven square leagues . . . — Map (db m93201) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Los Altos — 306 Main Street — "Shoup Hall"
This two-story building, the second permanent business building in town, was built at the direction of Paul Shoup, often referred to as the "Father of Los Altos." It was the foresight of Mr. Shoup and his associates that led to a concept of the town . . . — Map (db m100303) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Mountain View — The Mountain View Train DepotCity of Mountain View
In 1888, at the request of local residents, the Southern Pacific Railroad built a depot at Mountain View Station, at a cost of $4,000. The second floor was used as living quarters for the station agent. By 1892, ten passenger trains stopped daily . . . — Map (db m100128) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Camp Mt. Madonna
[Side-bar on left:] At New Almaden During the Depression (1933-1942) and after most mining activity had ceased, New Almaden once again gave jobs, hope and future to young men through a program created by Franklin D. Roosevelt called . . . — Map (db m52778) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Pellier ParkSite of Historic City Gardens Nursery
[This markers in composed of three photographs with captions. Reading from left to right:] San Jose City Gardens Nursery People traveled far and wide to visit Louis Pellier’s City Gardens Nursery and purchase orchard and vineyard . . . — Map (db m52614) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Santa Clara — 904 — Charles Copeland Morse Residence
“The house that seeds built” was constructed in 1892 by Charles Copeland Morse, co-founder of one of the largest vegetable and flower seed companies in the world, the Ferry-Morse Seed Company. This outstanding Queen Anne residence is the . . . — Map (db m52857) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Boulder Creek — Grace Episcopal Church Building
The building stands in the original town of Lorenzo, laid out by sawmill owner Joseph Peery, who included a “no whiskey” clause in each lot’s deed. In 1885 Boulder Creek was chosen for the terminus of the railroad from Felton, and after . . . — Map (db m62531) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Isaac Graham: “Swashbuckling Soldier of Fortune“Trapper, Hunter, Rifleman, Ranchero, Lumberman and Litigant” — 1800 – 1863
Isaac Graham: Born Sept. 1, 1800 in Fincastle, Virginia, was a rough and tumble trapper and mountain man, who wandered the western wilderness. He ended up in 1836 Natividad, California where he ran a Saloon and Whiskey Still. He organized Los . . . — Map (db m62438) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — The Hihn Building
The medico-dental building, erected by Frederick A. Hihn in 1894, stood on this site until it was destroyed by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. This building was constructed by Gloria Hihn Welsh in 1994. General Contractor Darrow Palmer . . . — Map (db m62488) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — The PlungeNeptune’s Kingdom
Less than a year after fire destroyed the original Casino and Plunge, construction began on new buildings to include an indoor natatorium. The original ceiling arches can be seen today. The main pool measured 144 feet by 64 feet and featured a . . . — Map (db m62792) HM
California (Sierra County), Alleghany — Forest City Brewery
Established in the early 1850’s by Henry Kern and sold in 1858 to John Amerheim and Frank Diedel, together with mules, hogs, malt, barley and kegs. The brewery burned four times over its 80 year history but was rebuilt in the same location due to . . . — Map (db m65957) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Hornbook — Wilkes Expedition
On September 29 and 30, 1841, a detachment of the Wilkes expedition numbering 33 persons under the command of lt. George Emmons camped near this site. The party was in route from Fort Vancouver, Washington to Yerba Buena, California, and spent two . . . — Map (db m89089) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Sawyers Bar — Eddy Gulch LookoutReflections of the Past
In 1913, Hallie Daggett accepted the job at the Eddy Gulch Lookout, entering history books as the Forest Service’s first woman lookout (1913-1927). At a time when men dominated the workplace, this act took special courage, self-confidence, and a . . . — Map (db m70294) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tule Lake — The Road to the Stronghold
Thousands of years ago, flowing lava cooled forming a natural fortress. The surrounding area later became the center of the Modoc Indian homeland. A series of events made this lava stronghold a focal point in the war to remove the Modoc from their . . . — Map (db m87917) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Robbers Rock
On this site a least four known stage coach robberies occurred. In the hold-up of September 25, 1897, the robber William Harrall was trailed to Delta, Shasta County where he killed undersheriff William A. Radford. The last hold-up here and in . . . — Map (db m70251) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Ruehle Building326 W. Miner St.
In 1852, Frederick Ruehle, the second owner of this property built a two-story brick structure with iron shutters on this site. When Alois Wetzel became the new owner in 1866, he put in a shaving saloon (sic) and bathhouse downstairs while the . . . — Map (db m70094) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Yreka — Yreka Western
In response to the decision of the Southern Pacific Company to bypass Yreka and run its mainline through Shasta Valley, the Yreka Railroad was built and commenced operations January 9, 1889. In 1933 the railroad was incorporated as the Yreka . . . — Map (db m70201) HM
California (Solano County), Vallejo — 21 — Red Men's Hall
The Red Men's Hall is a variant of the Renaissance Revival style and exhibits three Native American terra cotta portraits. The building is the home of Samoset Tribe No. 22, organized in 1869. The building was constructed in 1925 and is the work of . . . — Map (db m100460) HM
California (Sonoma County), Santa Rosa — Santa Rosa Post Office and Federal Building
Completed in 1910 at 401 Fifth Street Designed by James Knox Taylor, FAIA Moved to this site in 1979 Preservation Architect, Dan Peterson, AIA Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United Staes Department of the . . . — Map (db m102518) HM
California (Tehama County), Manton — Manton Schoolhouse
Manton by the 20th century had an estimated population of about 2,000 people. Logging, ranching, and the power company were the main sources of employment in the area. There were up to eight schools in the Manton area with an estimated 200 children . . . — Map (db m89146) HM
California (Tehama County), Mill Creek — 1848 – Lassen Trail – 1849
Peter Lassen passed this way when he blazed 'The Lassen Trail' as he led a party of emigrants from Missouri to California by way of Deer Creek Pass. — Map (db m58112) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Race Track – Airport – Golf Course
Once known as China Graveyard Ridge, by late August, 1871, Alex Love developed a racetrack on this site 550 yards in length. This popular quarter mile track saw the names of horses like “Hayfork Kitty” and “Hollywood” owned . . . — Map (db m56190) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — A Home for ImmigrantsMaking Their Mark in Columbia
After the 1857 Fire, many generations of immigrants made this modest structure their family home. The new tenants applied their special touches, redecorating or expanding it to suit their needs. At times, they saved money by using salvaged materials . . . — Map (db m64896) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Columbia — Hildreth Party
. . . — Map (db m58848) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Jamestown — 9 — The Emporium – 1897
C.H. Wilson, architect and builder of department store for J.W. Witney & Sons. Acquired by Moses Arendt within year. Mercantile and telephone exchange in early 1900’s. In 1928, sold to Jim Porter and Peter Barendregt. Jake Barendregt, Sr. operated a . . . — Map (db m53275) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — 395 — Shaw’s Flat — Mark Twain Bret Harte Trail
In 1850 this community was alive with gold miners. James D. Fair, after whom the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco is named, was one of the most notable. The Mississippi House, built in 1850, contains many relics including the original bar and . . . — Map (db m6811) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Twain Harte — Confidence Mine
Discovered in 1853, Confidence Mine became one of California’s richest gold mines. It was developed by the pioneer stage owner and pony express man Ben Holladay. An incline shaft of 1,000’ was sunk and off that a 2,000’ horizontal shaft hit the best . . . — Map (db m49881) HM
California (Yuba County), Camptonville — Marysville to Virginia City in 32 Hours49 Miles Along Highway 49
In 1859 the rich Comstock Silver Lode was discovered in Washoe Territory, Nevada, causing many miners to quickly pack up and head east. Immediately a company was formed to construct a road connecting this area of California to the Comstock finds. . . . — Map (db m65968) HM
California (Yuba County), Challenge — Woodleaf Hotel
Built in 1858 by Joseph Wood using brick made on the site with native clay. The graceful style of architecture is unique in this region of California. The hotel was a favorite stage stop for wealthy ranchers. Mining and lumber men, President Ulysses . . . — Map (db m65882) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Larimer StreetLower Downtown Historic District — Established 1988
General William H. Larimer, Jr., founder of Denver City which was established on November 22, 1858, named the city after the Governor of the Kansas Territory and the principal street after himself. Some of Denver’s first cabins were located at the . . . — Map (db m51710) HM
Idaho (Bear Lake County), St. Charles — 211 — St. Charles
In May, 1864 Brigham Young called Swan Arnell, Sr., Charles G. Keetch, Sr., Robert Pope, and Johh Windley with their families to settle here. Soon others followed. Charles Windley was the first child born in the village. The town site was surveyed . . . — Map (db m105869) HM
Idaho (Caribou County), Soda Springs — Ground Observer Corps National Planning
The Ground Observer Corps (GOC) was a series of Civil Defense programs in the United States to protect against air attack. Its function was to supplement the radar warning network by visually searching the skies with naked eye and binoculars for . . . — Map (db m106219) HM
Idaho (Franklin County), Franklin — The Birthplace of Samuel P. Cowley
Samuel Cowley was born in Franklin, Idaho on July 23, 1899 to parents Matthais F. Cowley and Luella Parkinson. He was the fifth son in the family of nine sons and six daughters. The Cowleys lived here until Sam was six years old and the family . . . — Map (db m105558) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 910 South MichiganBuilt 1911 — Architect: Marshall and Fox
The Karpen Furniture Company commissioned Marshal and Fox to design a 12-story showroom and company office. The building’s simple ornament contrasted with the exuberant facades of Marshall and Fox’s other work, including the Blackstone and Drake . . . — Map (db m47884) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — 1 — Old Town’s Entrepreneur Spirit (#1)
From 1870 through the 1800s, Henry Piper, one of Old Town’s early entrepreneurs, operated a successful bakery in a narrow alley. Today, the building at Wells and North is known as Piper’s Alley. The existing house located at 1546 North Wells was . . . — Map (db m47609) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Maison Hospitalière
Maison Hospitalière, or “Hospitality House,” is a non-profit, non sectarian nursing home. It is dedicated to providing quality, individualized assistance in a homelike atmosphere to elderly women and men without regard to their creed, . . . — Map (db m51360) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), New Orleans — Rillieux – Waldhorn House
Erected 1795-1800 For Vincent Rillieux – 1740-1800 New Orleans merchant and great-grandfather of Edgar Degas, noted French artist The design of the house is attributed to Barthelemy Lafon – 1769-1820 architect, builder, surveyor . . . — Map (db m51335) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Nevada City
Nine booming gold camps sprawled along remote Alder Gulch in 1863. Nevada City and Virginia City were the largest. In December, 1863, Nevada City’s main street was the scene of the miner’s court and hanging of George Ives. This event was the . . . — Map (db m49563) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — Strasburger’s Colorado Store(Jewelry Store)
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District • Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior • In cooperation . . . — Map (db m49470) HM
Montana (Madison County), Virginia City — The Mount Vernon Dredge
In its first five years, Alder Gulch produced between 30 and 60 million in gold. By 1874 about 35,000 people lived in the gulch. Times ran out but the gold never did. You can still find it here in the hills and streams of Alder Gulch.

There were . . . — Map (db m49570) HM

Nebraska (Cheyenne County), Sidney — 16 — Fort Sidney
Sidney Barracks, when established in 1867, was a temporary camp with one permanent structure, a blockhouse located to the north. In 1869 the Fort was relocated at this site and in 1870 the name was officially changed to Fort Sidney. The primary . . . — Map (db m76864) HM
Nebraska (Morrill County), Broadwater — Imaginary Characters….Indian Lookout Point
Mormon emigrants traveling west along the north sided of the North Platte River saw many topographical features that were not visible from the south side of the river. These features served as landmarks that guided the Latter-day Saints along their . . . — Map (db m79386) HM
Nebraska (Scotts Bluff County), Mitchell — Fort Mitchell, 1864-18671864 - 1867
In 1909 Nebraska State Surveyor Robert Harvey surveyed the Fort Mitchell site documenting the location of the fort for the Nebraska State Historical Society. Mr. Harvey’s site sketch is partially shown to the right. The granite Oregon Trail . . . — Map (db m79436) HM
Nevada (Elko County), Elko — Missouri Flats1865 - 1872
During the 1800's this site was used as a bivouack-camp area for the "Sagebrush Clippers." These wagons served the mining districts of the area almost exclusively. The name of this colorful area was derived from the Missouri Mule, a cousin of the . . . — Map (db m105208) HM
Nevada (Elko County), Montello — 73 — Unknown Soldiers
Ten soldiers who died during the 1918 Influenza Epidemic are buried here, but their identities are a mystery. During and after World War I, troop trains regularly ran through Montello. Ill soldiers were unloaded and treated by a Southern Pacific . . . — Map (db m81176) HM
Nevada (Storey County), Virginia City — 41 — Lousetown
North of this marker, a station was established in 1860 on Geiger and Tilton’s new toll road from Truckee Meadows, •• Fine springs, terminus of several wood roads, and a population of teamsters, stock and sheep men were found at Lousetown •• . . . — Map (db m45487) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Buildings Overlooking Bryant ParkOutstanding New York architecture frames the park
Part of Bryant Park’s urbane charm is that it is surrounded by prime examples of several periods of New York City architecture. At the northern corner of Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street is 500 Fifth Avenue. Shreve, Lamb & Harmon (architects of the . . . — Map (db m57101) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Grand Central Terminal“Landmark of New York”
Completed in 1913 from plans of Warren & Wetmore and Reed & Stem on site of earlier depot built by Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1871. Statuary group over main entrance executed by Jules Coutan. — Map (db m57244) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Joe Horvath1945 – 1995
A long time neighborhood resident, Joe devoted his life to serving the youngsters of Hell’s Kitchen. He started as a junior counselor at PAL when only 16 years old and, except for a brief stint as an army medic, he remained connected to PAL and to . . . — Map (db m58312) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Baker City — Old Oregon Trail1843
Dedicated to the memory of the intrepid pioneers who blazed the way over the Old Oregon Trail with the first covered wagons in 1843 and won an empire for the United States. Erected by the American Legion July 4, 1925 — Map (db m108048) HM
Oregon (Baker County), Huntington — Remnants of the Oregon Trail
From Alkali Springs, called by many pioneers Sulphur Springs, the emigrants traveled on to Birch Creek, which offered much needed water and grass for their livestock. First named "Riviere aux Bouleaux" by French-Canadian fur trappers, here travelers . . . — Map (db m107212) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Pinehurst — Crossing the Siskiyous
Applegate Trail emigrants required up to four days to travel from the Klamath River over the Cascades and Siskiyous to the Rouge River valley. The journey may have challenged those with healthy oxen, but it was a devastating trail for those whose . . . — Map (db m88403) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Pinehurst — The Applegate TrailTub Springs
Southern Route to Oregon In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous . . . — Map (db m88017) HM
Oregon (Malheur County), Vale — Stephen Meek's Cutoff
In 1845 Meek led 200 families away from Oregon Trail seeking a shorter route west. Gold found enroute began Blue Bucket legend. Hardships drove train back to Oregon Trail at The Dalles. — Map (db m107062) HM
South Dakota (Custer County), Buffalo Gap — 469 — Jedediah Strong Smith’s Route - - 1823
First white man in the Black Hills, this courageous and brawny beaver trapper in 1823 led a dozen Mountain Men from Fort Kiowa to the Yellowstone. His party entered the Black Hills via the old bison trail through Buffalo Gap near here. Born in . . . — Map (db m89396) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — 229 — Corinne Opera House
On this site the Corinne Opera House, for many years the largest recreation center in Utah outside of Salt Lake City, was erected in 1879. Built of red pine lumber with square nails, the leading stock companies, California bound on the new railroad, . . . — Map (db m105258) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Corinne — The Locomotives of Golden Spike - Jupiter
”More representative American locomotives of the period would be difficult to find. Both the Jupiter and 119 were of the eight wheel or 4-4-0 wheel arrangement. This style of engine was so common in the United States that it was called the . . . — Map (db m80965) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Matlin
Mile 712.8 from San Francisco Track laying crews reached the site of Matlin on April 5, 1869. Matlin was used by the railroad from 1869-1904 as a section station. Chinese railroad workers built a small community next to the facilities. . . . — Map (db m105426) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Park Valley — Terrace Cemetery1869- ca. 1910
As the town grew, so did the cemetery. Accidents, illness, and old age contributed to residents of Terrace being buried here. The cemetery has been slowly deteriorating, but was in fairly good condition until 1986 when vandals stole some of the . . . — Map (db m105433) HM
Utah (Weber County), Ogden — The Livingston Confectionary268-270 - Historic 25th Street
This building was constructed at the beginning of the 1900s as a three story structure with commercial space on the first floor and boarding rooms on the second and third floors. The owner at the time of construction (circa. 1901) appears to have . . . — Map (db m81133) HM
Utah (Weber County), Ogden — The Solomon C. Stephens Building260 - 25th Street
This building was constructed circa. 1888 by Solomon C. Stephens. The family owned land and constructed several commercial buildings on the north side of the 200 Block of 25th Street. Stephens owned the property until 1895 when it was sold to the . . . — Map (db m81051) HM
Utah (Weber County), Ogden — Utah Trunk Factory241-243 - 25th Street
This building was constructed circa. 1915. The site was the original location of the ZCMI Granary, which was built on the lot before 1884. The eastern wall of the building was constructed in 1890 as a common wall with the building which stood where . . . — Map (db m81158) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Old Bennington — Anthony Haswell1756 - 1816
Editor and publisher the Vermont Gazette Bennington Uncompromising in defense of freedom of the press Imprisoned in 1800 for opposition to Alien and Sedition Laws as threats to the newborn democracy Erected in 1912 On site of first . . . — Map (db m77021) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — First Avenue
A main north-south artery of Seattle, stretching north from the original Pioneer Square business district, First Avenue was lined with offices, leading hotels, banks and even a few residences. Until the mid-20th century, the street was also home to . . . — Map (db m47941) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — The St. Charles ApartmentsBuilt 1913 — Renovated 2004 by Plymouth Housing Group
The St. Charles Apartments, originally called the Rector Hotel was built to provide accommodations for the patrons of the Grand Seattle Opera. The St Charles Apartments is listed in the Washington Heritage Register, and the National Register of . . . — Map (db m48052) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Buford — The Transcontinental Railroad
Construction of the Transcontinental Railroad across the United States was one of the most significant historic events of the 1800s. Built almost exclusively with manual labor and hand tools, the cross-country railroad took only four years to . . . — Map (db m89646) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Buford — Tree in the Rock
This tree was growing out of a crevice in the rock when the Union Pacific Railroad built its original main line fifty feet south of this rock in 1868. The fence and cable were provided by the Union Pacific Railroad Co. at the request of the . . . — Map (db m95273) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — Laramie
Founded in 1868 upon the arrival of the Union Pacific Railroad, Laramie was named after the fur trader Jacques LaRamie. The first female jurors served here in 1870 after Wyoming Territory, in 1869, for the first time in history, gave women full . . . — Map (db m76789) HM
Wyoming (Albany County), Laramie — The Appaloosa
The legendary war-horse of the Nez Perce has a rich history dating as far back as 20,000 years. Detailed images of spotted horses can be found on cave walls in southern France. In Austria, a scabbard dating back to 1000 B.C. was found decorated with . . . — Map (db m95348) HM
Wyoming (Carbon County), Sinclair — Sheepherder's Community
Sheep were introduced to Wyoming in the 1850's near Fort Bridger, about 180 miles west of Fort Steele. By 1880 the number had grown to over 350,000 head ranging primarily along the route of the Union Pacific Railroad. The Cosgriff Brothers owned one . . . — Map (db m89950) HM
Wyoming (Converse County), Douglas — Junction of the Oregon Trail
This Monument marks the junction of the Oregon Trail and road to Old Ft. Fetterman nine miles north of this spot. Established July 10, 1867. Abandoned May 25, 1882. — Map (db m92111) HM
Wyoming (Converse County), Glenrock — Ada Magill
Caleb and Nancy Magill with their six children were part of a wagon train traveling fro Brown County, Kansas, to Dallas, Oregon, in 1864. After leaving Fort Laramie their three-year-old daughter Ada was taken sick with dysentery. At Deer Creek . . . — Map (db m92079) HM
Wyoming (Converse County), Glenrock — Big Muddy Oil Field
Big Muddy oil field is a typical Wyoming oil producing structure. The field, discovered in 1916, has produced over 30 million barrels of high quality oil. Strata here were arched upward at the time the Rocky Mountains originated about 60 million . . . — Map (db m92097) HM
Wyoming (Crook County), Beulah — The Ideal Hunting Ground
Look around you! This valley was an excellent habitat for buffalo. The herd-gathering area was open grassland north, west, and southwest of the sinkhole. Natural drainage supplemented by man-made structures provided drivelines. The sinkhole was an . . . — Map (db m98095) HM
Wyoming (Fremont County), Dubois — Tie Hack MemorialRailroads and the West
Hacked and Stacked Ties were made from trees hacked and cut by hand...hence the name "tie hack." Tie hacks were a special breed of loggers who could quickly fell, limb a tree, and fashion the tie down to the specification demanded. . . . — Map (db m96316) HM
Wyoming (Fremont County), Fort Washakie — Block House
Built in 1869. A Refuge for Women and Children in Times of Danger. — Map (db m96166) HM
Wyoming (Fremont County), South Pass City — 27 — Willie’s Handcart Company
Captain James G. Willie’s Handcart Company of Mormon emigrants on the way to Utah, greatly exhausted by the deep snow of an early winter and suffering form lack of food and clothing, had assembled here for reorganization by relief parties from Utah, . . . — Map (db m80154) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Torrington — Oregon Trail
Marked by the State of Wyoming 1914 — Map (db m98345) HM
Wyoming (Hot Springs County), Thermopolis — "The Hot Springs"
HISTORY: Originally the Hot Springs were included in the Shoshone Indian Reservation Treaty of 1868. In the years following the Hot Springs gained the reputation as having "Health Giving Properties", and eventually the U.S. Congress requested . . . — Map (db m97695) HM
Wyoming (Johnson County), Buffalo — Buffalo and the Bighorn Mountains
The landforms dominating the western horizon are the result of geologic events taking place over 2.7 billion years. The major mountain building episode, which formed the Bighorns, began around 65 million years ago. This uplift resulted in the . . . — Map (db m97938) HM
Wyoming (Johnson County), Kaycee — The Dull Knife Battle
In the months following Custer's defeat at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, a group of Native American members of the Northern Cheyenne Tribe left their allies along the Little Big Horn River and traveled south to encamp for the winter. Led by . . . — Map (db m91561) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Fort Laramie Trail
This stone marks that road of romance and adventure traveled by trappers, traders and troops to Fort Laramie, the most historic spot in the west. 1867 - 1887 — Map (db m95230) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Yellowstone HighwayGrows into the longest road in the U.S., The National Park-to-Park Highway
This Welcome Center's entrance axis aligns with and pays tribute to the Yellowstone and National Park-to-Park highways. The Yellowstone Highway was an unpaved "auto trail" established in 1915 that was mapped, maintained, and promoted by local . . . — Map (db m92204) HM
Wyoming (Lincoln County), Alpine — The Astorians
Here in Sept. 1812, the returning Astorians led by Robert Stuart were attacked by the Indians and their horses stolen. Dedicated July 4, 1939, to commemorate the opening of the Snake River Canyon Road. Built by Civilian Conservation Corps. . . . — Map (db m90550) HM
Wyoming (Lincoln County), La Barge — Names Hill State Historic Site
Names Hill is one of three prominent sites in Wyoming where travelers inscribed their names into stone along the emigrant trails. The other sites are Register Cliff and Independence Rock. After crossing a 40 miles stretch of waterless desert, wagon . . . — Map (db m80533) HM
Wyoming (Lincoln County), Thayne — Agriculture under the Stars
Look up a night and you can see why this is called Star Valley. As early as the 1870's, the Mormon Church was placing cattle here to summer graze on the lush meadows. Later, Mormon pioneers dotted the valley with small farms consisting of dairy . . . — Map (db m90568) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Alcova — Independence Rock
Probably discovered by returning Astorians, 1812. Given its name by emigrants who celebrated Independence Day here July 4, 1825. Capt. Bonneville passed here with first wagons 1832. Whitman and Spalding, missionaries with their wives stopped here . . . — Map (db m95548) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Alcova — 28 — Martin's Cove
Survivors of Captain Edward Martin's Handcart Company of Mormon emigrants from England to Utah were rescued here in perishing condition about Nov. 12, 1856. Delayed in starting and hampered by inferior carts it was overtaken by an early winter. . . . — Map (db m95487) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Bessemer Bend — Shape of the Future
The eighteenth century saw competition for control of North America among Spain, France, England, and the fledgling United States. Following a forty-year period of wars, treaties, territorial purchases, and establishment of trading posts, the future . . . — Map (db m91947) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Casper — Oregon-California TrailC.H. King and Company
Two plaques and a medallion are located at this site: Oregon- California Trail During the years 1841-1867 over 350,000 persons passed through Casper on their way West. The majority of them traveled through what is now the lobby . . . — Map (db m92022) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Casper — Wyoming's Oil & Gas
Native Americans were the first to use Wyoming's oil and later show early explorers where to find it. Sticky black liquids bubbling in natural seeps were used for liniments and paints. In 1832, Captain Bonneville found the "great tar spring' below . . . — Map (db m95587) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Mills — Oregon Trail
Marked by the State of Wyoming 1914 Lieutenant Caspar W. Collins killed by Sioux Indians near this spot July 26, 1865 — Map (db m92011) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Cody — Old Trail Town
On this site in 1895, Western scout and showman William F. ("Buffalo Bill") Cody laid out the original townsite of Cody, Wyoming, which he named in his honor. Today Old Trail Town preserves the lifestyle and history of the Frontier West through a . . . — Map (db m91011) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Cody — William Garlow Cody“Bill Cody”
Jan. 4, 1913           Sept. 18, 1992 Grandson of the World-Famous Colonel William F. Cody “Buffalo Bill” Bill Cody was born at Buffalo Bill’s “Scouts Rest Ranch” in North Platte, Nebraska. He died in Cody, Wyoming. He was . . . — Map (db m87560) HM
Wyoming (Platte County), Guernsey — Civilian Conservation Corps
During the Depression years, under the New Deal program, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Emergency Conservation Work program (later known as the Civilian Conservation Corps or CCC) to employ people in large public works projects. In . . . — Map (db m98413) HM
Wyoming (Sheridan County), Dayton — Dayton Community Hall
410 Bridge Street Dayton, Wyoming 82836 "Built in 1935-35 for the Town of Dayton by the WPA & the CCC" National Register of Historic Places Wyoming Place No. 1338 — Map (db m91336) HM
Wyoming (Sublette County), Cora — First Tie Drive on Green River
Because timber was scarce in neighboring states along the first transcontinental railroad line, the tie business flourished here and in other Wyoming mountain locations. Ties were cut in winter, stored on the river bank until spring, and floated . . . — Map (db m80522) HM
Wyoming (Sweetwater County), Green River — Buzz Holstrom1937-1938
Haldane "Buzz" Holstrom wanted to float the Green and Colorado Rivers to Hoover Dam. In the fall of 1937, he found the "right cedar tree" near his home in Oregon and built his own 16-foot Galloway-style riverboat. A friend who was supposed to . . . — Map (db m90164) HM
Wyoming (Sweetwater County), Reliance — The Reliance Tipple
It was in 1910 that coal mine operations began at Reliance. These mines were operated by the coal mining company of the Union Pacific Railroad. Here, where the tipple now stands, the first coal loading facility was constructed in 1912. The stone . . . — Map (db m89721) HM
Wyoming (Uinta County), Evanston — Bear River City
Nothing remains today as a reminder that Bear River City was one of the notorious "end-of-track" towns along the original Union Pacific transcontinental railroad line. Initially called Gilmer, the town was first settled by lumberjacks who arrived in . . . — Map (db m90107) HM
Wyoming (Uinta County), Fort Bridger — School House, Milk House & Wash House
As an indication of his wealth and influence William Carter provided three buildings not commonly available to the average person on the American frontier. The first frame building served the family as a private school. It measured a mere 11 feet 3 . . . — Map (db m90732) HM
Wyoming (Washakie County), Ten Sleep — Company 841
Below you are the waters of Meadowlark Lake, a popular recreation area on (sic) the Bighorn National Forest Meadowlark Lake was created by the construction of a dam by Company 841 of the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1936. From April 1934, when . . . — Map (db m97888) HM
Wyoming (Washakie County), Ten Sleep — Spring Creek RaidApril 2nd, 1909
Cattlemen of the Big Horn Basin dominated the range for many years and set up boundaries or "deadlines" where sheep were forbidden. Fierce animosity grew between the opposing sheep and cattle ranchers as several sheep camps were raided during the . . . — Map (db m97863) HM

4779 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 4579
Paid Advertisement