Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2119 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1919
 
Thomas Johnson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, August 6, 2017
Thomas Johnson Marker
Germany, Saxony-Anhalt (Wittenberg District), Lutherstadt Wittenberg — Napoleon I.(1769 - 1821)
Kaiser der Franzosen quartierte hier 1806 und 1813 —————————— French Emperor quartered here in 1806 and 1813 — Map (db m69849) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — Birthplace of Richard Milhous Nixon
President of the United States of America. Inaugurated January 20, 1969. Inaugurated for second term January 20, 1973. We are proud of our native son, a man who has spared nothing of himself to help build a great nation. — Map (db m82467) HM
California (San Diego County), Pacific Beach — Surfer's MemorialTourmaline Canyon Surfing Park
This monument honors the past and present surfers at Tourmaline Canyon Surfing Park who have embraced its beach, surf and camaraderie. Since the opening of the park in May 1963, Tourmaline's local surfers have shared their time, skills, and wisdom . . . — Map (db m84586) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — 220 Golden Gate Ave.c. 1909 Former San Francisco Central YMCA
Oldest surviving YMCA Building in California. In 1908 U.S. President William Howard Taft presided at the groundbreaking ceremony for this new building, which replaced the original central branch on Ellis and Mason streets. The original 1853 . . . — Map (db m90942) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Ambassador Hotelc. 1911
Formerly Ferris Harriman Theater and Hotel and site of the original Tivoli Opera House destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire. Miriam Allen Deford, described by the Mystery Writers of America as San Francisco's “most distinguished and . . . — Map (db m91524) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Dalt Hotel c. 1910Former Hotel Dale
The tenants' mobilization and resistance to the planned conversion of the hotel in 1979 to a tourist hotel provided the catalyst for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors enactment of the SRO (Single Room Occupancy) Hotel Anti-Conversion Ordinance. . . . — Map (db m91001) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Luisa Tetrazzini
To Remember Christmas Eve • 1910 when Luisa Tetrazzini sang to the people of San Francisco on this spot — Map (db m103373) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Page Hotelc. 1907
This Building is Listed in the National Register of Historic Places Uptown Tenderloin Historic District — Map (db m91806) HM
Connecticut (Litchfield County), Torrington — John Brown Birthplace
John Brown, the abolitionist, was born at this site on May 9, 1800. He dedicated his life to ending slavery in the United States. Brown became a spokesperson for those abolitionists who believed that slavery could only be eliminated by force. He . . . — Map (db m30187) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Noah Webster House
Here stood the house of Noah Webster Class of 1778 Author of The American Spelling Book and of An American Dictionary of the English Language — Map (db m34888) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Fenwick Island — The History of the Lighthouse
The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of Interior in 1979 in recognition of its significance of the rich maritime history of Delaware. In 1852, responding to pressure to improve . . . — Map (db m63347) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Adams-Morgan — Lithuania's March to FreedomKeeping a Nation Alive — Adams Morgan Heritage Trail
Since 1924 this mansion has housed representatives of the Republic of Lithuania, even during the 50 years when the country was occupied by the Soviet Union. In the late 1700s, the Russian Empire annexed Lithuania's territory, ending the . . . — Map (db m82751) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Anacostia — 14 — Booth's EscapeAn East-of-the-River View — Anacostia Heritage Trail
Late On The Night Of April 14, 1865, a guard at the other end of the Navy Yard Bridge allowed a young man on horseback to cross, despite a wartime curfew. Unbeknownst to the guard, the rider, John Wilkes Booth, had just shot President Abraham . . . — Map (db m100715) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Barney Circle — Barney at Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Barney Circle honors U.S. Navy Commodore Joshua Barney. In August 1814, Barney, his Chesapeake Flotillamen, and a contingent of U.S. Marines guarded a bridge over the Eastern Branch (Anacostia River) on today's Bladensburg Road, NE. When it became . . . — Map (db m80473) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brentwood — Former Site, Columbian Harmony Cemetery1857-1959
Many distinguished Black citizens including Civil War veterans were buried in this cemetery. These bodies now rest in the new National Harmony Memorial Park Cemetery in Maryland. — Map (db m16069) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 5 — Build It And They Will ComeBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
In 1818 the Private Rockville and Washington Turnpike Co. began building a road to link Washington City to Rockville, Maryland. This road helped create a village. A toll gate on what today is Georgia Avenue between Quackenbos and Rittenhouse . . . — Map (db m72819) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 8 — Early EntrepreneursBattleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
Apple and Peach Trees once covered the slopes to your left, some 40 acres' worth, all planted by noted horticulturalist John Saul (1819-1897). In the 1870s Saul was one of Brghtwood's largest landowners. In addition to these orchards, he . . . — Map (db m72822) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Brightwood — 3 — Hold the Mayo!Battleground to Community — Brightwood Heritage Trail
English, Irish and German settlers, as well as enslaved and free African Americans, were the first non-natives to claim Brightwood. Farmers dominated until the Civil War. Then in the 1890s electric streetcars allowed government workers to live . . . — Map (db m72817) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 2 — Commerce
Connecticut Avenue's commercial corridor, between Macomb and Ordwary, reflects changes in retail that followed changes in modes of transportation from 1890 streetcar, to automobiles, to the Cleveland Park Metro Station in 1981. Individual stores on . . . — Map (db m67824) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Cleveland Park — 1 — Roma Restaurant
Cleveland Park was named for Grover Cleveland who bought a country house on now Newark Street in 1886. In the 1890s, electrified streetcars ran on Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues and led to the development of the Cleveland Park "suburb". Shops . . . — Map (db m67826) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Deanwood — 5 of 15 — A Whirl on the Ferris WheelA Self Reliant People — Greater Deanwood Heritage Trail
To your right it is the former Merritt Educational Center which operated from 1943 to 2008. However, if you were standing here in the 1920s or '30s, in its place you would have seen exuberant crowds of fashionably dressed African Americans enjoying . . . — Map (db m24519) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — "Surratt Boarding House"
. . . — Map (db m7046) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — “Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead!”
With these legendary words, naval officer David G. Farragut led the Union fleet past Confederate mines (then called torpedoes) and to victory at the Battle of Mobile Bay on August 5, 1864. From the rigging of his flagship, USS Hartford, . . . — Map (db m4104) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Albert Gallatin
. . . — Map (db m2129) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — Dwight D. Eisenhower Executive Office Building
First known as the State, War, and Navy Department Building (built 1871-1888), the Eisenhower Executive Office Building was rededicated in 2002 to honor former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, who worked here between 1927 and 1935 for Generals . . . — Map (db m100415) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — General Lafayette and his Compatriots — Lafayette Square National Historic Landmark District
[north face:] To General Lafayette and his Compatriots 1777 - 1783 [south face:] By the Congress in commemoration of the services rendered by General Lafayette and his Compatriots during the struggle . . . — Map (db m32245) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Downtown — The Peace Convention
The old Willard Hotel was the scene of the last major effort to restore the Union and prevent the Civil War. At Virginia's invitation, delegates from twenty-one of the then thirty-four states met in secret session from February 4 to 27, 1861, in a . . . — Map (db m6541) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Foggy Bottom — Peace at Last!Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The Octagon Once was the city residence of wealthy Virginia landowner Colonel John Tayloe III. After the British burned the White House and other government buildings, President James Madison accepted Tayloe's invitation to use the Octagon as a . . . — Map (db m87563) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Forest Hills — Rock Creek's Mills
At one time, Rock Creek hosted a large number of flour mills, saw mills, and other industries. The force of the creek's waters, dropping more than 160 feet over 33 miles, gave the mills their power. The region's farms provided abundant raw . . . — Map (db m80114) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Forrest Marbury House
Forrest Marbury House Circa 1788 Category I Landmark National Register of Historic Places • Site of a dinner hosted by General Uriah Forrest for his old friend and former commander, President George Washington, on March 29, 1791. . . . — Map (db m82654) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — 14 — It Takes a VillageA Fitting Tribute — Logan Circle Heritage Trail
After the Civil Disturbances following the assassination of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968, 14th Street appeared largely abandoned by day. By night, however, residents witnessed scenes of the “world's oldest . . . — Map (db m80103) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — 6 — Logan Circle Just AheadA Fitting Tribute — Logan Circle Heritage Trail
Some of the City's finest Victorian Houses ring Logan Circle. While the area appears on the L'Enfant Plan of 1791, it took Alexander “Boss” Shephard's improvements to make these grand houses of the 1870s and '80s possible. Three . . . — Map (db m80174) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — 10 — The Artistic LifeA Fitting Tribute — Logan Circle Heritage Trail
The Imposing Double House to Your Left, numbers 1 and 2, was built as an investment for Ulysses S. Grant, Jr., son of the 18th president. The house would later serve as the Venezuelan Legation and then a Seventh-Day Adventist nursing home. . . . — Map (db m79659) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Logan Circle — 13 — The Presidents' ChurchA Fitting Tribute — Logan Circle Heritage Trail
Through The 1960s President Lyndon B. Johnson and his family worshipped across the street to your left at National City Christian Church. The First Family sat near the front in the pew deemed safest by their Secret Service agents. The church . . . — Map (db m88782) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Marshall Heights — Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 1
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed 1791-1792 Protected by Sarah Franklin Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m82452) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 1 of 17 — Fashionable 16th StreetVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail
Today's 16th Street from the White House to Silver Spring, Maryland is one of the city's key gateways. But through the 1890s it jogged left where Mt. Pleasant Street runs today and then dead-ended at the edge of today's Rock Creek Park. After . . . — Map (db m17138) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Dorothea Dix 1802 - 1887The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Inspired by her social conscience, Dorothea Dix launched a self-financed career aimed at improving the lives of the mentally ill. Her mission to document squalid institutional living conditions and inhumane treatment built public awareness and . . . — Map (db m91874) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Grand Army of the Republic
Grand Army of the Republic Organized at Decatur Illinois, April 6, 1866. By Benjamin Franklin Stephenson M.D. — Map (db m87897) WM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Jane Addams 1860 - 1935The Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
In 1889, with Ellen Gates Starr, Jane Addams founded Hull House in Chicago, one of the nation’s first settlement houses. It served as a community center for the poor and its success helped lead to the creation of hundreds of similar organizations in . . . — Map (db m91873) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — Millard and Linda FullerThe Extra Mile — Points of Light Volunteer Pathway
Founded Habitat for Humanity, a Christian organization with “open arms” to all who want to be involved, that builds affordable houses with families who need adequate shelter. Proclaiming a message of faith, hope, and love, the Fullers . . . — Map (db m92092) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Penn Quarter — The Daguerre Monument
This monument pays tribute to French Artist and inventor Louis-Jacques-Mandé Daguerre (1787–1851), who revolutionized picture-making in 1839 by introducing the first practical form of photography to the world. Known as the daguerreotype, . . . — Map (db m80876) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — Howard UniversitySixth Street and Howard Place, NW — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
Howard University, one of the oldest Black colleges in the United States, was established by Congress in 1866 to educate formerly enslaved individuals. Its name honors Freedman's Bureau Commissioner General Oliver Otis Howard, a member of the white . . . — Map (db m66401) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Pleasant Plains — 14 of 19 — Urban OasisLift Every Voice — Georgia Avenue/Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
These Rowhouses Were Built by developer Harry Wardman, whose houses, hotels, and apartment buildings are known for elegant, solid construction. When these became available in 1912, buyers snapped them up. Among them were an electrician, a . . . — Map (db m85319) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — Edward “Duke” Ellington ResidenceAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington DC
1805 13th Street, NW Edward Kennedy “Duke” Ellington (1899—1974), the internationally renowned composer and musician born in Washington, DC, spend part of his youth here at 1805 13th Street, NW (1910—1914). During . . . — Map (db m79980) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 1 of 19 — Grief Turns to AngerLift Every Voice — Georgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail
Thursday Evening, April 4, 1968. The news that the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., has been assassinated in Memphis makes its way like lightning through the city. Nearby at 14th and U Streets — once the cultural heart of DC's African . . . — Map (db m84806) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Sheridan-Kalorama — General Manuel Belgrano1770 — 1820
Statesman, Leader and Forerunner of the Independence Movement in Latin America. Promoter of the economy and education, mentor of the principles of freedom that burst onto the Argentine early political scene in May 1810. An exemplary soldier, he . . . — Map (db m74989) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Southwest — Thomas Law
Thomas Law and his wife Elizabeth Parke Custis Granddaughter of Martha Washington Resided here in 1796 Later the home of Richard Bland Lee Who was influential in bringing the Capital to the Potomac National Capital . . . — Map (db m80492) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Takoma — Original Federal Boundary Stone NE 2
Jurisdiction of the United States Miles 2 1792 Maryland Var. 1.12 — Map (db m97694) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Tenleytown — Fort RenoTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
To your right is "Point Reno" the highest point in Washington -- 409 feet above sea level, to be exact. This unsurpassed vantage brought the Civil War (1861-1865) to Tenleytown. After the Union defeat at Bull Run in July 1861, northern troops . . . — Map (db m63883) HM
Georgia (Macon County), Andersonville — Clara Barton
In Commemoration of the Untiring Devotion of Clara Barton ———— She organized and administered efficient measures for the relief of our soldiers in the field, and aided in the great work of preserving the names of more than . . . — Map (db m12126) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — Franklin D. Roosevelt
(Panel #1) Beginning as the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, this hospital for polio patients was founded by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1927. The Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation is today an internationally . . . — Map (db m84458) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-18 — Boyhood Home of Woodrow Wilson
Woodrow Wilson, later to become 27th President of the United States, lived in this Manse of the First Presbyterian Church of which his father, Dr. Joseph R. Wilson, was pastor from 1858 to 1870. Wilson was born in Staunton, Va., in 1856 and he later . . . — Map (db m9856) HM
Georgia (Walker County), LaFayette — 146-11 — General LaFayette
Marie Jean Paul Roch Yves Gilbert Motier Marquis de LaFayette (1757-1834) was born in the Castle of Chavagnac, in Auvergne, France. He entered the French Army early in life and in 1777 came to America and volunteered for service in the Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m13898) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Chicago River
This river originally flowing eastward from the prairie home lands of the Potawatomi and other Indian tribes into Lake Michigan, linked the waters of the Atlantic, the St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes with those of the Illinois, the Mississippi and . . . — Map (db m99534) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Crane Company BuildingBuilt 1913
This Property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m99757) HM
Illinois (Fayette County), Vandalia — Madonna of the TrailThe National Old Trails Road
N·S·D·A·R Memorial to the Pioneer Mothers of the Covered Wagon Days The Cumberland Road. Built by the Federal Government. Was authorized by Congress and approved by Thomas Jefferson in 1806. Vandalia marks the . . . — Map (db m42341) HM
Kentucky (Mercer County), Harrodsburg — The Lincoln Marriage Cabin
The marriage of Thomas Lincoln and Nancy Hanks took place on the Beechland property of Nancy’s uncle, Richard Berry Sr., in Washington County, about twenty-five miles southwest of here, on June 12, 1806. The ceremony was presided over by the . . . — Map (db m46317) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 6 — Chase-Lloyd HouseThe Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship
Patriot politician and future Declaration of Independence signer Samuel Chase began building this Georgian mansion in 1769, but he couldn't afford to finish the house and sold it two years later to Edward Lloyd IV. The wealthy Eastern Shore planter . . . — Map (db m63497) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 5 — HMS Confiance CannonThe Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship
This gun tube was removed from the British flagship, the HMS Confiance, during the Battle of Lake Champlain with was fought on September 11, 1814. Early in that battle a cannon ball fired by the American flagship Saratoga struck the . . . — Map (db m69246) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Slave Trade
Although the United States banned the Transatlantic Slave Trade in 1808, a domestic trade from the Upper South to the emerging cotton-growing regions of the Deep South thrived until the 1860's. Baltimore-based dealers supplied the trade, operating . . . — Map (db m71935) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Believe it or Not
Raised slabs mark a number of grave sites at Westminster, but none has garnered as much attention as this one. Once the subject of a "Ripley's Believe it or Not," this gravity-defying piece of marble continues to fascinate. This slab was . . . — Map (db m6639) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carroll Mansion
Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), the last surviving, and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, wintered here during the last twelve years of his life. Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest . . . — Map (db m3204) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Cecilius Calvert1606   1675 — Fovnder of Maryland
Cecilivs Calvert Baron Baltimore of Baltimore in the Kingdom of Ireland•Absolvte Lord and Proprietary of the Provinces of Maryland and Avalon in America•Who on November 13, 1633 with the co-operation and assent of the first Colonists, proclaimed in . . . — Map (db m89251) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Charles Center & One Charles Center
The 14-block Charles Center project, begun in 1958, was the first piece of Baltimore's nationally recognized downtown Renaissance. the 33-acre project was strategically placed between the financial district on the east side and the retail district . . . — Map (db m88236) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Charles H. Dorsey, Jr.(1930-1995)
Family man, attorney, civic and church leader, mentor, lover of life, thinker, stargazer Continuing the family tradition, Charles H. Dorsey made the fight for justice his lifelong vocation. As a young man, he fought for civil rights with the . . . — Map (db m6292) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Civil War Magazine
Larger cannon -- and more cannon -- came to Fort McHenry during the Civil War period. To provide safe storage for the additional gunpowder and ammunition, the Army built this magazine in 1864. From the inside it doesn't look especially strong, . . . — Map (db m66644) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Discover Baltimore: The Monumental CityHeritage Walk
The Battle Monument was America's first public war memorial and the first since antiquity to honor the common soldier. Designed by Maximilian Godefroy, its construction began in 1815, shortly after the event it commemorates: in 1814, after the . . . — Map (db m89395) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Expanding the American Intellect: Icons and IconoclastsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
“My library,” Enoch Pratt said, “shall be for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color, who, when properly accredited, can take out the books if they will handle them carefully and return them.” In 1886, with . . . — Map (db m88270) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — H. Irvine Keyser
This site and these buildings were presented to the Maryland Historical Society as a memorial to my husband H. Irvine Keyser of Baltimore. Obit May 7, 1916. A member of the Society 1873 to 1916. — Map (db m2527) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mounted MessengersStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Captain Henry Thompson, Clifton Mansion’s original owner, formed the First Baltimore Horse Artillery unit in 1813. General John Stricker chose Thompson’s troop to report on enemy movements at the August 1814 Battle of Bladensburg.

Selected as . . . — Map (db m79744) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — Old St. Paul's
St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; . . . — Map (db m92305) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Parren Mitchell House
This stately rowhome at 828 North Carrollton Avenue has served a number of purposes since its construction in 1880. Over the years it has been used as a private residence, office space, and briefly as a retirement home. Its most notable resident was . . . — Map (db m101638) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Phoenix Shot Tower
Built in 1828 by the Phoenix Shot Tower Company, this soaring 215 foot structure is the last remaining shot tower of the three that accented Baltimore’s skyline in the 19th century. Shot pellets used as ammunition for muskets was produced by pouring . . . — Map (db m2598) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Battle Monument
Battle of North Point, 12th September, A.D. 1814, and of the Independence of the United States, the thirty-ninth Bombardment of Fort McHenry, 15th September, A.D. 1814, and of the Independence of the United States, the thirty-ninth. James . . . — Map (db m89172) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Enoch Pratt House
Enoch Pratt (1806-1896) moved to Baltimore in 1831 to launch a wholesale hardware business on South Charles Street. By 1851 he had invested in western Maryland coal mines and iron foundries in the Baltimore neighborhood of Canton. He made his own . . . — Map (db m10250) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Peabody Conservatory
Established in 1857 by the philanthropist George Peabody, The Peabody Conservatory of Music was the first institution in America for the education of professional musicians. The list of those who have taught or studied here reads like a “Who’s . . . — Map (db m2411) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Peale Museum
This structure is the oldest museum building in the United States. Designed by Robert Cary Long, Sr. for Rembrandt Peale, the museum opened to the public in 1814 as "an elegant Rendezvous for taste, curiosity and leisure." For a 25-cent admission . . . — Map (db m6305) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Proud of Our StandStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
In 1814 Baltimore's defenders watched about 4,500 British troops march from North Point toward the city. Roughly 3,200 Americans, led by Brigadier General John Stricker, were sent to impede the advance. He positioned his men across a road at a . . . — Map (db m68528) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Proud of Our StandStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
In 1814 Baltimore's defenders watched about 4,500 British troops march from North Point toward the city. Roughly 3,200 Americans, led by Brigadier General John Stricker, were sent to impede the advance. He positioned his men across a road at a . . . — Map (db m79757) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Relay — Site of Old Relay Station and Hotel
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Here in 1830, passengers on B&O horse-drawn cars stopped to eat at the Relay House. Meanwhile, the relays of horses were changed for the remainder of the 13 mile journey between Baltimore and Ellicott’s Mills, hence . . . — Map (db m2502) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hometown HeroStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Nathan Towson, born 1784 in the area named for his family, served in the U.S. Army for 42 years. He enlisted in 1812 when war with Britain seemed imminent. As an artillery captain, Towson distinguished himself in nearly every major engagement on the . . . — Map (db m83413) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — In MemoriamThe Ridgely Family Cemetery — Egyptian Revival Vault, 1815
This gated cemetery, where generations of Ridgleys are buried, is still in use by the family. Feel free to enter and walk among the tombstones and monuments, but show proper respect. Notice the family vault at center, the names and inscriptions on . . . — Map (db m83524) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — “Terra Rubra”
The birthplace of Francis Scott Key the author of our National Anthem “The Star-Spangled Banner.” — Map (db m2997) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco — St. Ignatius Catholic ChurchSt. Thomas Manor — Chapel Point, Maryland
Dating from 1662 the oldest continuously active parish in the United States. Founded 1641 by Father Andrew White, S.J., who named Chapel Point. Present church built 1798. St. Thomas Manor has been a Jesuit residence since its erection in 1741. — Map (db m39525) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Port Tobacco Village — Saint Ignatius' ChurchSaint Thomas' Manor
The Manor Land was acquired in 1649, under Lord Baltimore's "Conditions of Plantation." The Chapel was built probably in 1662, the manor house in 1741. Bishop Carroll laid the cornerstone of the present church in 1798. Here occurred in 1805 the viva . . . — Map (db m70788) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Reliance — Patty Cannon's House
At Johnson's cross roads where the noted kidnapping group had headquarters as described in George Alfred Townsend's novel "The Entailed Hat". The house borders on Caroline and Dorchester Counties and the State of Delaware. — Map (db m4384) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Vienna — UnnacokossimmonEmperor to the Nanticoke Indians
Lived (about 1677) at Chicacone, an ancient Indian town north of this point. The Nanticoke Indian Reservation was laid out by act of Assembly 1698, containing 5166 1/4 acres. — Map (db m4387) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Buckeystown — Site of Buckeystown Methodist Episcopal Church
To your left is a street scene of the intersection in Buckeystown around 1899. The house immediately on your left was built around 1898 as the residence for the superintendent of the Buckingham School for Boys, located south of town (now . . . — Map (db m90488) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — “South Magnetic”
The compass Meridian Stones of Frederick County. One of two stones set in 1896 by USC&GS to establish a true meridian line. Used by surveyors to check compass variations pursuant to Article 25, Code of MD ──── . . . — Map (db m89631) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — A Bold Plan
In June 1864, with Union Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant intent on destroying Confederate General Robert E. Lee's army, Lee developed a bold plan to capture Washington, D.C. He sent Lieutenant General Jubal A. Early with 15,000 troops to invade . . . — Map (db m78623) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — A Crossroads of American HistoryThe Frederick Square Corner
The Square Corner, at the intersection of Patrick and Market Streets, has long been the commercial and financial heart of Frederick. It is here that the National Road meets several important north-south roads that lead to Pennsylvania, Virginia, and . . . — Map (db m2748) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — City HallFormer Frederick County Courthouse — Antietam Campaign 1862
Connections with the Civil War abound around this Courthouse Square, where the first official act of defiance against the British crown - the 1765 Stamp Act Repudiation - occurred almost a century earlier. In 1857, Roger Brooke Taney, Chief Justice . . . — Map (db m2815) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Civil War Children's Memorial
Dedicated to the Memory of The Children Who Served and Died In the Civil War 1861-1865 — Map (db m103206) WM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Historic Frederick BarracksWar of 1812 Period
The limestone barracks in front of you, built in 1778, is among the oldest and most important surviving American military structures in the nation. The barracks consisted of two L-shaped buildings, but only the eastern wing remains today. During the . . . — Map (db m103369) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Saints Street
“Saints Street was to Blacks ‘What's Happening now.’” — Adelaide Hall, 1995 For many decades preceding the civil rights movement, Saints Street was the commercial and social center within a segregated Frederick, boasting a . . . — Map (db m107199) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — Thomas Johnson
** Revolutionary Patriot ** Bosom Friend of Washington **** Diligent worker for independence and nominator of Washington for commander in chief of Continental Army ** Member of Council of Safety, Continental Congress and of . . . — Map (db m106718) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Frederick — William Tyler PageBoyhood Home
William Tyler Page Though born in marked house One-half block south Lived his boyhood days in this house Placed by Frederick Chapter, N.S.D.A.R. October 18, 1955 — Map (db m89034) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Jefferson — War Correspondents Memorial Arch — Walking Tour Stop 7
This stone Arch, the culmination of Townsend's architectural endeavors, was built in 1896 as a permanent memorial to newspaper correspondents, artists, and photographers of the Civil War. Standing 50 feet tall and 40 feet wide, the Arch's unusual . . . — Map (db m65351) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Rasche Blacksmith Shop
On this site in 1851 stood the blacksmith shop operated by Henry August Rasche, then in the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The B & O line was at the time being extended through Oakland, Allegany County, Maryland, westward into Preston . . . — Map (db m68878) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
The 45-mile long Susquehanna (PA) and Tidewater (MD) Canal ran from Wrightsville, Pennsylvania to Havre de Grace, Maryland. The canal was built between 1835 and 1839 in order to improve commerce on the Susquehanna River. The new canal would connect . . . — Map (db m1494) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Ellicott City — Decatur DorseyCivil War Hero
Howard County native Decatur Dorsey was one of only sixteen African American soldiers to received the Medal of Honor for courage under fire during the Civil War. Sgt. Dorsey, of Company B, 39th United States Colored Troops, earned his medal at the . . . — Map (db m5756) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Chestertown — John Leeds BarrollPublisher Accused of Treason and Exiled
John Leeds Barroll first walked these courthouse grounds, as a prominent Kent County lawyer before becoming a newspaper publisher. He was admitted to the bar in 1852 and served as the county State’s Attorney, 1854–1856, then founded the . . . — Map (db m3066) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Chestertown — Revolutionary Cannon
Presented to The Historical Society of Kent County, Inc., in memory of Morris Keene Barroll 1893–1962. — Map (db m3061) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Fairlee — Caulk’s Field Monument
The British commanded by Sir Peter Parker, Baronet and the Americans commanded by Col. Philip Reed met in engagement on this field Aug. 31st 1814. The British were defeated and Sir Peter Parker killed. Erected A. D. 1902 by Marylanders to . . . — Map (db m3070) HM
Maryland (Kent County), Worton — African American SchoolhouseMuseum — A one-room schoolhouse that became the cornerstone of a Community...
Worton Point 'Colored' Public School #2, District Number 3; a one-room schoolhouse built August 1890. This structure was documented by the University of Delaware Center for Historic and Architectural Design in June 2003. Prior to the 1930's county . . . — Map (db m62847) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — A Totem For Healing
The National Library of Medicine's healing totem was created to promote good health, in keeping with the mission of the doctors and scientists who work here at NIH to advance our knowledge of health and medicine. Master carver Jewell James of the . . . — Map (db m77836) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — Locust Grove
Locust Grove, the home of Lucy Beall, Daughter of George, and of Her Husband Samuel Wade Magruder, a local leader in the Revolutionary War, was built around 1770. Located near Montgomery Mall Shopping Plaza (at the intersection of Westlake Terrace . . . — Map (db m72958) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Bethesda — The Mary Woodard Lasker Center for Health Research and Education
Mary Woodward Lasker (1900-1994), with her husband Albert, founded the Albert and Mary Lasker Foundation in 1942 to deepen the national commitment to medical science, and to raise awareness of extraordinary basic and clinical research discoveries . . . — Map (db m73073) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 9
Original Federal Boundary Stone District of Columbia Placed - 1791 - 1792 Protected by the Margaret Whetten Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1916 — Map (db m78776) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Woodend Manor House
The Woodend Manor House was designed in Georgian style by John Russell Pope in 1927, on what was once the hunting grounds for Algonquin Indians. The house was originally the residence of Chester and Marion Wells, who wanted the house to recreate the . . . — Map (db m61560) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Clarksburg — Women on the Homefront in Montgomery County1861 – 1865
During the Civil War, most women attempted to live “normally,” maintaining homes, attending to children, and even taking over traditional male responsibilities on the farm. Yet the war brought severe hardships to most absent family men, . . . — Map (db m90435) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Life During Encampment in Montgomery County1861 - 1865
Troops stationed in Montgomery County did not sit idle while waiting to fight. In addition to preparing for battle, they also had to combat many deprivations, including proper food, clothing and shelter. Life as a soldier was difficult on all counts . . . — Map (db m74711) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — The Civil War in DarnestownThe Civil War
Although no major battles were fought in Darnestown, major troop movements occurred throughout the war. April 13, 1861    - -  Fort Sumpter Falls April 15 1861    - -  Lincoln calls out 75,000 state militia May 3, 1861    - -   Lincoln . . . — Map (db m69981) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Darnestown — Traveler's Impressions of Montgomery County1861 - 1865
If you were a marching soldier, what would have been your impression of Montgomery County during the Civil War? While the built environment may not have impressed travelers, the variety of natural resources in this area garnered admiration. . . . — Map (db m74879) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — Building The Future
The completion of the railroad and the city's incorporation in the 1870's established a solid base upon which Gaithersburg could grow and flourish. Following the City's incorporation in 1878, Henry Ward became the president of the town's . . . — Map (db m3347) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — DNC Building2013
This current building, developed by Inter-Continental Group (owned by the Blessing Family), stands on a site that has been a part of Gaithersburg's mercantile history since before 1894. This 2-story building was built circa 1915 by JL Burns and . . . — Map (db m101669) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Gaithersburg — The Woodlands
The Land Francis Cassatt Clopper began assembling The Woodlands in 1812 by purchasing a patchwork of neighboring farms. An assessment of Montgomery County properties in 178 listed a variety of framed houses, log cabins, and tobacco and corn . . . — Map (db m70452) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Garrett Park — Garrett Park Waiting Room
In 1989, this passenger waiting room was taken down from its location in Landover, MD., and brought to this site and re-assembled by the Montgomery County Conservation Corps. On behalf of the citizens of Garrett Park, the Mayor and Town Council . . . — Map (db m219) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 17 — Baseball FieldNorth Washington and Hungerford Drive — SITE #17
The practice field for Rockville's African American baseball team was located between North Washington Street and present-day Hungerford Drive. The team played around the county and in Washington, D.C. from the early 1900s through the . . . — Map (db m102121) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 2 — Gibbs v. Broome, et al/1931 Courthouse27 Courthouse Square — Rockville’s African American Heritage Walking Tour
Should you receive the same pay for doing the same work? William B. Gibbs, teacher and principal of the Rockville Colored Elementary School, thought so, but he had to take the issue to court. African American teachers had to meet the same . . . — Map (db m43474) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 8 — Jerusalem - Mount Pleasant Church and Parsonage21 & 17 Wood Lane — Rockville's African American Heritage Walking Tour
Racial tensions between African American and white church members peaked immediately before the Civil War. Pro-slavery parishioners joined the M. E. Church South in 1863. By 1868 the predominately African American M. E. Church North owned this . . . — Map (db m32146) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Prettyman HouseConfederates in Rockville — Gettysburg Campaign
From his home, E. Barrett Prettyman, a prominent Rockville citizen and educator, watched approximately 5,000 Confederate cavalrymen ride into Rockville in three columns on Sunday, June 28, 1863. Like many other Montgomery County residents, Prettyman . . . — Map (db m37575) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Town Square
When Montgomery County was created in 1776, the village today known as Rockville was selected as the seat of local government. Since that time, five court houses have been built in Courthouse Square. § Postal Service began in Montgomery . . . — Map (db m102844) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 4 — Saint Mary's Catholic ChurchPeerless Rockville
1817 Historic Saint Mary's Catholic Church and Cemetery Original cost: $4,000.00 Renovations: 1885   │   1929 1889   │   1981 No. 4 — Map (db m108322) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Sandy Spring — The Sandy Spring
The Sandy Spring community took its name from this spring, which provides fresh water filtered through the sandy soil. In 1745, the spring was located on what was once known as “Snowden's Manor” and later known as “Harewood”. . . . — Map (db m104248) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Seneca — SenecaChesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park
Eleven aqueducts were built from Georgetown to Cumberland to carry water over water. The aqueducts, literally “water bridges,” carried the canal over large streams and rivers flowing into the Potomac River. This aqueduct enters directly . . . — Map (db m96115) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — A Community GrowsWayne Avenue Landmarks — Silver Heritage Georgia Avenue
With a burst of new development in 1927, downtown Silver Spring's commercial center -- originally located around the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad station (8100 Georgia Avenue at Sligo Avenue) -- firmly re-established itself three blocks to the north. . . . — Map (db m62161) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Silver Spring — Building BlocksA Penny for Your Thoughts — Silver Spring Heritage - Colesville Road
"Shop Along the Silver Strip, Suburban Washington's Newest and Finest Shopping Community," proclaimed the January 8, 1942 Silver Spring Standard newspaper upon its opening. Businesses residing in these storefronts offered a variety of . . . — Map (db m68578) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Aquasco — Woodville School
Constructed in 1934 to serve area African-American children, with labor furnished by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration and materials purchased by the county board of Education. Larger better equipped than the typical rural schools of the . . . — Map (db m79909) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Beltsville — Queen’s Chapel Methodist Church, Established 1868
Site of the original Queen's Chapel Church, founded just after the Civil War by Thomas Queen and other Trustees. The church was build at the location of an early African-American burying ground, and became an important meeting place for the black . . . — Map (db m61021) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — Hilleary-Magruder HouseBladensburg Archaeology — Star-Spangled Banner Historic Trail
The Hilleary-Magruder House was constructed circa 1742 and is the oldest building in Bladensburg, In 1763, Scottish merchant Richard Henderson bought the property . He lived here with his family and more than two dozen enslaved African . . . — Map (db m75993) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bladensburg — The Market Square & Stone HouseBladensburg Archaeology — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Christopher Lowndes, a prominent English merchant, constructed a small stone building here around 1760. Although he lived at Bostwick on the hill to the east, this property stayed in the Lowndes family until 1883. Over the past 250 years, . . . — Map (db m75902) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Brentwood — Living Sculpture
This unusual feature was created by the famous sculptor, Enrico Cerrachio. Should you walk across the arm of the cross, formed by the walkway, you will observe the that the eyes and entire head appear to turn and look directly at the beholder at all . . . — Map (db m69515) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Chapel Hill — Chapel Hill
A post-Civil War African American farming community established on former plantation land. Named for the Digges family chapel. A Freedman's Bureau School established in 1868 and a meetinghouse of ca. 1880 became focal points of the community. A . . . — Map (db m79942) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the . . . — Map (db m73190) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — Site of Silesia School1902-1925
In 1902 children from nearby farms traveled by horse and buggy to the Silesia School, a one room school house. The school's contribution of education for this area continued until 1925. In 1959 the school and part of this land was sold to the . . . — Map (db m7639) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Fort Washington — The Water Battery
Strategically placed, this permanent section of the fort was the lowest level of the three tiers of guns. The Water Battery was designed to deliver "water-skipping" cannonade directed at the hulls of enemy ships. The simple V-shaped design has . . . — Map (db m8078) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Upper Marlboro — British DisgraceStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
British soldiers allegedly camped at Trinity Episcopal Church and tore pages from the church registry when they passed through in August 1814. Rector Thomas John Claggett also served St. Thomas Parish in Croom, another church on the British . . . — Map (db m74979) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — The Brass Pin
The brass pin in the adjoining sidewalk marks the former location of the stone known as "P.G. No. 1", recognized since 1791 as the beginning point of the "Public Ground" now occupied by the Court House and the reference point for all of the original . . . — Map (db m62294) HM
Maryland (Saint Marys County), Ridge — Cardinal Gibbons Institute
History of Cardinal Gibbons Institute In November 1916, three Catholic priests, Fathers LaFarge, Emerick, and Matthews met with blacks from St. Mary’s county to discuss their plans to have a national industrial school. In May 1917, land was . . . — Map (db m101027) HM
Maryland (Saint Marys County), Scotland — Point Lookout Prison Camp
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived but if faced with courage, need not be lived again. - Maya Angelo To the memories of our past Who are patient and who wait, True and faithful to the last, For Easter morning . . . — Map (db m101095) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Hollywood — Port of Entry
During colonial days, English government has hopes of exporting furs, foodstuffs, timber, flax and other products from Maryland's ports to the home county. In reality, tobacco was the only notable item produced and exported to England in large . . . — Map (db m62630) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — A Town SparedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
In July 1813, British troops seized St. Clements and St. George Islands and established a base at Point Lookout. From there they repeatedly raided the countryside, terrorizing local residents They ramped up their assault in the summer of . . . — Map (db m80392) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownSpies, Intriguers and Blockade Runners
When the white citizens of St. Mary’s County voted here in the 1860 presidential election, John Breckenridge, the secessionist candidate who carried Maryland, got 920 votes. Abraham Lincoln received 9 percent of the popular Maryland vote; the . . . — Map (db m955) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — A Place of History
Point Lookout is a witness to much of our nation’s history. As you survey the vast expanse of Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River, remember those who have come before.

Early Inhabitants Five thousand years ago, Native Americans first came . . . — Map (db m104745) HM

Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Inigoes — St. Ignatius Church
This Property St. Ignatius Church Has been placed on the the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of Interior — Map (db m80291) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), Unionville — UnionvilleFounded to Honor their Service
From the beginning of the Civil War, Frederick Douglass and Harriet Tubman urged President Abraham Lincoln to allow blacks to enlist in the U.S. Army and fight for their freedom. On May 22, 1863, General Orders 143 were issued stating "A Bureau is . . . — Map (db m61390) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstonians in the Civil WarGovernor William T. Hamilton, 1820-1888
William T. Hamilton was born in Boonsboro. He attended the Hagerstown Academy and Jefferson College in Pennsylvania. Hamilton passed the bar in 1845 and opened a law practice in Hagerstown. After serving one year in the Maryland Legislature, he was . . . — Map (db m60558) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Henry Kyd Douglas1838 - 1903 — Military And Literary Figure
An officer in the Confederate army, Douglas served with distinction on the small personal staff of General “Stonewall” Jackson during the Valley Campaign (1862) which made Jackson a legend in military history. Wounded six times, Douglas . . . — Map (db m107553) HM
Maryland (Wicomico County), Mardela Springs — Trans-Peninsular Line Midpoint Marker
In Pre-Revolutionary Colonial America, these monuments marked the South West corner of the Three Lower Counties of the Delaware—at the time a part of the Pennsylvania Colony. Originally determined by local surveyors (two small . . . — Map (db m74130) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Meetinghouse Hill1630 - 1930
Site of chapel erected in 1653 for John Eliot, the Apostle to the Indians. Here he preached to the Wamesit and Pennacook Indians, converting many and establishing a village of Christian Indians called Wamesit. — Map (db m48839) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Plymouth — On This Lot
On This Lot Stood The First House Of The Mayflower Pilgrim John Howland The Pilgrim John Howland Society 1978 — Map (db m105377) HM
Missouri (Barton County), Lamar — Harry S. TrumanMay 8 1884 - Dec. 26, 1972
Birthplace: Lamar, Missouri 32nd President, Apr. 12, 1945-Jan.20, 1953 From this spot Mr. Truman delivered his Vice Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech on August 31, 1944 — Map (db m42287) WM
Missouri (Jackson County), Independence — Harry S. Truman1884 - 1972
. . . — Map (db m34853) HM
Missouri (Newton County), Diamond — George Washington Carver's Thoughts
Right Road …how can I be sure that I’m on the right road?… “In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.” Now you must learn to look to Him for direction and then follow, and you will never go wrong. George . . . — Map (db m42892) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 10 — 1848 — Commemorative Walkway Park
In May of 1846, U.S. President James K. Polk ordered the invasion of Mexico by U.S. troops, thus beginning the Mexican War. Three months later, General Stephen Watts Kearney led a victorious U.S. Army unopposed across northern New Mexico and into . . . — Map (db m76263) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Home by the Hudson
All that is within me cries to go back to my home by the Hudson River. - Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1944 It was only when passing through the gates at the end of this road that FDR felt truly at home. Roosevelt loved Springwood’s forests and . . . — Map (db m83113) HM
New York (Nassau County), Oyster Bay — Roosevelt Memorial Rocks
The Book of Theodore Roosevelt’s Life Written in Rocks Chapter 1 – Born Oct 27, 1858. Brick from 28 E 20 NYC where Roosevelt was born. Presented by Women’s Roosevelt Memorial Assn. Chapter 2 – Regaining his Health. Granite step from . . . — Map (db m53686) HM
New York (Nassau County), Oyster Bay — Theodore Roosevelt1858 - 1919
Citizen of Oyster Bay President of the United States * * * * * * * * * * “The way to be good citizens of this nation is to be good citizens of Oyster Bay” *       July 4, 1906      * — Map (db m65120) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Gershwin Family Residence1925-1931
George Gershwin - composer and Ira Gershwin - lyricist created many memorable works here.

102 and 103 Streets Block Association June 19, 1982 — Map (db m97257) HM

New York (Rensselaer County), Hoosick — Chester A. Arthur
Chester A. Arthur President 1881-1885 lived in Hoosick, N.Y. Union College Graduate 1848 — Map (db m97253) HM
Ohio (Athens County), Athens — Booker T. Washington
Front: In this house, on 11 August 1886, famed African-American educator Booker T. Washington married Olivia A. Davidson. Residents at the time were Mary Davidson Elliott (sister of Olivia) and her husband Dr. Noah Elliott, a veteran of . . . — Map (db m63680) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — Guernsey Civil War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the men from Guernsey County who served in the defense of their country in the War of the Rebellion 1861–1865. Gettysburg, Atlanta, Shiloh, Vicksburg, Winchester, Antietam, Wilderness, Chickanauga. — Map (db m285) HM
Ohio (Sandusky County), Fremont — Spiegel GroveRutherford B. Hayes Home
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States. U.S. Department . . . — Map (db m59354) HM
Ohio (Wood County), Perrysburg — General William Henry Harrison
General William Henry Harrison, commander of the Army of the West, selected this site in February 1813, and on it erected Fort Meigs as a defense against the military operations of the English, with whom the United States was then at war. On . . . — Map (db m19271) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fourth Ward Memorial
This memorial is dedicated in sincere tribute to the living and dead whose valiant efforts and unselfish sacrifices have made America great. God grant that the liberty of humanity won only by brave souls and vigilantly guarded, shall live on with . . . — Map (db m100468) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Wall Section Through Rampart of Fort Pitt
This restored wall presents a section through a typical masonry rampart of Fort Pitt. Originally built of brick burned at the site and stone quarried in the area. The fort was a five-sided structure with a bastion at each corner and measured a . . . — Map (db m99064) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Stonycreek — Flight 93 National MemorialA common field one day, a field of honor forever.
September 11, 2001 10:03 AM United Airlines Flight 93 crashes into a field two miles ahead of you, shattering the quiet of the Pennsylvania countryside. Those who rush to the scene look on in disbelief at charred trees and a smoldering crater. . . . — Map (db m100529) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — Captain C. V. Gridley
Grave of Captain Gridley, commander of Dewey's flagship Olympia in the Battle of Manila Bay, 1898, is located in this cemetery. Dewey's order, "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley," opened the battle. — Map (db m21049) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Brownsville — Dunlap’s Creek Bridge
An integral part of the National Road, this was the first metal arch bridge in the United States, built 1836-39. Replacing several earlier bridges on this site, including an 1809 Finley suspension bridge, this 80-foot span was built of cast iron by . . . — Map (db m251) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Brownsville — The First Cast Iron Bridge
The first cast iron bridge built in the United States, was built in 1836-1839 over Dunlap's Creek at this point. — Map (db m253) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Commodore Isaac HullUnited States Naval Officer — 09 March 1773   –   13 February 1843
A defender of American freedom and pioneer of a new nation. He lifted the spirits of an entire nation by defeating the British on the high seas, while commanding USS Constitution “Old Ironsides” in battle with HMS Guerriere . . . — Map (db m40929) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Addison — Great Crossings
About one half mile above this point is the "Great Crossings" of the Youghiogheny River, where George Washington crossed November 18th, 1753, when sent as envoy by Gov. Dinwiddie of Virginia to the French Commandant at Fort Le Boeuf. Washington, . . . — Map (db m351) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Stonycreek — The Investigation
Minutes after the crash, first responders arrive on the scene, along with the Pennsylvania State Police. The September 11 attacks generate the largest investigation in FBI history. The primary goal of the investigation is to recover sufficient . . . — Map (db m100697) HM
Rhode Island (Bristol County), Bristol — In the Miery SwampKing Philip Fell
In the 'Miery Swamp,' 100 feet W.S.W. from this spring, according to tradition, King Philip fell, August 12, 1676, O.S. This stone placed by the R.I. Historical Society. December, 1877. — Map (db m86296) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 3A 141 — James Weldon Johnson Home
This Dutch Colonial house was built in 1931 for James Weldon Johnson. He served as U.S. Consul to Venezuela and Nicaragua, editor of the New York Age, and field secretary of the NAACP. Johnson's poem, "Lift Every Voice and Sing," set to music by his . . . — Map (db m4520) HM
Tennessee (Lawrence County), Lawrenceburg — A Summary of the Life of Davy Crockett:
“Be always sure you are right, then go ahead!”

• Raised in frontier poverty without any education until he is a teenager, David is often hired out to others for additional income while still a child; once held against his will . . . — Map (db m108201) HM

Tennessee (Lawrence County), Lawrenceburg — Welcome to David Crockett State Park — Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
In the summer of 1817, just before his 31st birthday, David Crockett entered Lawrence County with his second wife Elizabeth (his first wife, Polly, died in 1815), her two children from her first husband (James Patton, died in the Creek Indian War in . . . — Map (db m107420) HM
Vermont (Windsor County), Plymouth Notch — Calvin Coolidge Homestead
Calvin Coolidge Homestead has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark. Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1933 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m62155) HM
Virginia, Alexandria — Entrance Gate to Fort WardOfficers' Hut
The Fort Ward entrance gate, completed in May 1865, provided the only access to the interior of the fort. The gate's decorative details include stands of cannonballs and the insignia (castle) of the Army Corps of Engineers which designed and . . . — Map (db m7680) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Garden to GravesArlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
The dead from three years of Civil War filled all burial spaces in the area. In 1864, President Lincoln charged General Montgomery Meigs with locating a site for a new national cemetery. Arlington's high elevation and aesthetic beauty made it ideal, . . . — Map (db m70711) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — Guardian of a Nation's HeritageArlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
Selina Gray, her husband, and their eight children lived in the room to your right. She was Mrs. Lee's personal maid and later the head housekeeper. Her parents had been Mt. Vernon slaves, so she grew up steeped in the lore of George Washington. . . . — Map (db m70500) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington National Cemetery — The Kingdom of My ChildhoodArlington House, The Robert E. Lee Memorial
Here the Custis and Lee family members entertained guests, strolled with suitors, read precious letters, buried their much beloved pets, communed with nature, engaged in spiritual reflection, and enjoyed the shade and solitude of a wooden arbor. . . . — Map (db m70685) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — V-36 — Sherwood ForestPresident John Tyler's Home
John Tyler purchased this plantation one mile west in his native Charles City in 1842 while serving as tenth president of the United States, and made it his home from 1845 until his death in 1862. Tyler lengthened the wooden 18th-century house to . . . — Map (db m9518) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Great Falls — American Indians of the Potomac RiverRiverbend Park — Potomac River Gorge Interpretive Trail
Prehistoric people arrived along the shores of the Potomac River some 13,000 years ago. Slowly they transformed from semi-nomadic hunters into farmers and fishermen. Eventually, a group called the Nacotchtanks became the dominant tribe of the . . . — Map (db m64316) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — Mather Gorge
This mighty chasm, carved by the Potomac River, below Great Falls is dedicated and named in memory of Stephen T. Mather July 4, 1867 - January 22, 1930 With untiring enthusiasm for the National Park Idea, he served as first . . . — Map (db m101720) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — To the Glory of God and in Honor of George Washington
To the glory of God and in honor of George Washington who was a vestryman in 1765 of the old Falls Church Built A.D. 1734 This tablet was placed by the Falls Church Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution October . . . — Map (db m77601) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Marshall — FF-8 — McClellan Relieved From Command
At Rectortown, four miles North, General George B. McClellan received the order relieving him from command of the Army of the Potomac, November 7, 1862. As Burnside, his successor was present, McClellan immediately turned over the command to him. — Map (db m91288) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — Lafayette’s Stepping Stone
During his 1825 visit to Warrenton, General Lafayette is said to have stood upon this stone. Courtesy: The Bartenstein Family — Map (db m1294) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Richmond — V-28 — Pocahontas
Matoaka, nicknamed Pocahontas ("playful one"), the daughter of Powhatan, was born about 1595. At age eleven, she befriended Captain John Smith and later visited the English colonists. In 1613 Samuel Argall kidnapped Pocahontas to use her as a . . . — Map (db m9613) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Aldie — Mt. Zion Church
Mt. Zion Old School Baptist Church was founded in 1851. Just west of the church is a graveyard containing many 19th century grave markers. On July 6, 1864 nearby, Mosby's Rangers attacked and routed 150 Union cavalrymen. Over 100 Union soldiers were . . . — Map (db m55727) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Sterling — Vestal's Gap Road
Extending from Alexandria to Vestal's Ferry near Charles Town, West Virginia, this colonial highway was a principal route from the Northern Neck of Virginia through the Blue Ridge in the Ohio Country, in the early 1700's. The road became the major . . . — Map (db m20026) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Thomas J. Jackson, General CSA
Presented by English Gentlemen as a tribute of admiration for The Soldier and Patriot Thomas J. Jackson and gratefully accepted by Virginia in the name of the Southern People. Done A.D. 1875. In the hundredth year of the Commonwealth. . . . — Map (db m4734) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Fort Valley — Fort Valley Church of God in Christ Jesus1878            1949 — Seven Fountains Virginia
This building was erected in the year of Our Lord nineteen hundred and forty-nine by the Brethren of the Church of God in Christ Jesus, organized November 2, 1878 at Dry Run Meeting House. It was dedicated to God by Elder G. E. Marsh on July . . . — Map (db m102476) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Strasburg — Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church
Historic valley congregation, strasburg's oldest, organized by German settlers (c.1747) who first worshiped in log building just west of this site. Parish records date from 1769. Strasburg's first school conducted by the congregation and its . . . — Map (db m3468) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Woodstock — John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg
John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg October 1, 1746 - October 1, 1807 Clergyman, Soldier, Statesman Major General, VIII Virginia Regiment "A time to pray...a time to fight" January 23, 1776 — Map (db m73764) HM WM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Woodstock — Shenandoah County Jail
The first Shenandoah County Jail was a log structure. The building shown here was built of native limestone in the 18th century. In 1906, it was demolished to make way for a brick jail, which served the county until it was replaced by the present . . . — Map (db m73775) HM
Virginia (Westmoreland County), Colonial Beach — John Washington House
In 1664, John Washington, the great-grandfather of George Washington, built a small house on this site. From these modest beginnings, a powerful and prominent Virginia family would arise. During his thirteen years here, John Washington . . . — Map (db m34079) HM
Virginia, Winchester — Taylor Hotel“Packed with Confederate wounded”
The Taylor Hotel was a major stopping point for travelers because of its location on the Valley Turnpike and also was the center of town life. During the war, it was the headquarters for several commanders, including Confederate Gen. Thomas J. . . . — Map (db m92380) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Shepherdstown — Elmwood Cemetery Vault
It is believed this unique brick structure was built shortly after Elmwood Cemetery was established in 1867. Newspaper accounts from 1892 verify that the vault was used for temporary storage of bodies awaiting interment. In 1999, Richard H. . . . — Map (db m107679) HM

2119 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1919
Paid Advertisement