Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

291 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 91
 
Baron DeKalb Marker image, Touch for more information
By Anna Inbody, October 2, 2011
Baron DeKalb Marker
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Abbeville — 1-5 — Birthplace of Calhoun
On this land settled by his father Patrick Calhoun in the 1750s, defended against the Indians in the Cherokee War and the enemies of liberty in the American Revolution, John Caldwell Calhoun, American statesman and champion of the old South, was . . . — Map (db m10626) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Easley — 4-35 — St. Paul Methodist Church
[Front]: This church, founded in 1803, held its first services in the home of John Wilson and was first known as Wilson's Chapel. That year the congregation bought two acres here from George Head; the first church on this site was built . . . — Map (db m47088) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Huger — Quinby Bridge & Shubrick’s Plantation: The Disastrous “Raid of the Dog Days”
In the summer of 1781, with the British hold on the interior of South Carolina significantly weakened, Continental commander Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Greene sent Brig. Gen. Thomas Sumter, with Brig. Gen. Francis Marion and Lt. Col. Henry “Light . . . — Map (db m53889) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Colleton House: “Unmanly Practices” or Legitimate Target?
After Eutaw Springs, the British retreated to their post at Fair Lawn Plantation. In November 1781, Brig. Gen. Francis Marion sent Col. Hezekiah Maham with 180 horsemen and Col. Isaac Shelby with 200 mountain riflemen to eliminate British foraging . . . — Map (db m53885) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — 8-68 — Fairlawn Plantation / Fort Fairlawn
Fairlawn Plantation Fairlawn Barony, sometimes called “Fair-Lawn,” was granted to Peter Colleton, whose father John had been one of the original Lords Proprietors of the Carolina colony. John’s grandson John (1679-1754), known as . . . — Map (db m53881) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Fort Fair Lawn: An Archeaological Treasure
Fair Lawn Plantation was an enormous property granted to Sir Peter Colleton, oldest son of Sir John Colleton, one of the original eight Lords Proprietors of the Carolina colony. During the Revolutionary War, the British army first occupied the . . . — Map (db m53883) HM
South Carolina (Berkeley County), Moncks Corner — Wadboo Barony: Francis Marion’s Last Headquarters
Wadboo was a Native American name given to the enormous landholding of James Colleton, a son of Sir John Colleton, who was one of the original eight Lords Proprietors of the Carolina colony. Called a barony according to the Proprietors’ plan . . . — Map (db m53891) HM
South Carolina (Calhoun County), St Matthews — "Lest We Forget"To the memory of The Confederate Soldiers of Calhoun County 61 ~ 65
Col. A.P. Amaker; J.B. Amaker; Henry Arant; Morgan Arant; Mike Arant; David Arant; Dr. J.C. Arant; Allen Arant; Jas. Arant; Jno Arant; J.H. Arthur; H.M. Assman; W.J. Assman, Sr.; W.J. Assman, Jr.; D.A. Ayers; W.H. Baker; Jacob Bailey; J.J. Bair; . . . — Map (db m51701) HM
South Carolina (Calhoun County), St Matthews — John Adam Treutlen
John Adam Treutlen Governor of Georgia, 1777 A stern revolutionary patriot Born at Berchtesgaden, Austria in 1726 Brutally murdered by Tories about 1782 near this spot — Map (db m51711) HM
South Carolina (Calhoun County), St Matthews — Patriots of Calhoun County1775 ~ 1781
In Grateful Appreciation of the Services of the Patriots of Calhoun County 1775 ~ 1781 Gov. John Adams Treutlan; Col. Wm. Thompson; Maj. Lewis Colson; Maj. Jacob Geiger; Capt. Jacob Rumph; Com. Alexander Gillam; Capt. Wm. Heatley, Jr.; Lt. Wm. . . . — Map (db m51702) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Cherokee County Veterans Monument
World War I Allen, Landrum • Allen, Loyd • Bobo, Jesse • Burgess, Arthur • Camp, Oscar • Chesney, Coke T. • Collins, Ed • Crocker, Alexander • Dickson, Leander T. • Dowdle, Glenn • Edwards, Arthur • Ellis, Grier • Gallman, Richard . . . — Map (db m11166) WM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Cherokee County WW I Rememberence
In Memory of the Boys of Cherokee County who lost their lives in the World War, 1917 - 1918 Arthur Burgess • Grier Ellis • Richard Callman • Jay Bee Godfrey • Albert Grant • Broadus Hames • John G. Hamrick • Richard Hicks • Thomas . . . — Map (db m13433) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Michael Gaffney Home* 1804 *
Michael Gaffney was born in Granard Ireland and immigrated to the United States in 1797. After a short period in New York, he set sail for Charleston, South Carolina. He departed Charleston for the upstate and arrived at Smith's Ford on the Broad . . . — Map (db m7280) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Pacolet — 11-9 — Mulberry Chapel Methodist Church
[Front]: This African American church, the first in what is now Cherokee County, was most likely built between 1880 and 1890. It served the Whig Hill, Asbury, and Thickety communities of what was Union County before Cherokee County was . . . — Map (db m19724) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — Captain Mose RogersCommander S. S. Savannah — First Steam Ship to Cross the Atlantic
Captain Mose Rogers Died Nov. 11, 1821 Commander S.S. Savannah First Steam Ship To Cross the Atlantic Crossed in 1819 — Map (db m46197) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — Cheraw Confederate Memorial
(Front): Erected by Ladies Memorial Association To the memory of our Heroic Dead who fell at Cheraw during the War 1864 - 1865. (Left Side): Fallen but not dead! "They have crossed over the river And they rest in the shade of the . . . — Map (db m46221) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-11 — Francis Asbury's First Visit to S.C.
Front Francis Asbury (1745-1816), pioneer bishop of American Methodism, came to Cheraw in 1785, on his first visit to S.C. Asbury had just been ordained a general superintendent at the first General Conference in Baltimore on December 27, . . . — Map (db m46201) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — Grave of British Soldier
. . . — Map (db m46203) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — 13-10 — Austin-Craig-Laney House
(Front): This Carpenter Gothic house was begun ca. 1858 for Aaron Austin (1831-1863) and his wife Margaret Jane Craig. Austin, a Northerner who settled in Chesterfield in the 1850s, was a lawyer and also a Chesterfield District magistrate. . . . — Map (db m47435) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Greeleyville — 14-19 — Cantey Family Cemetery
(Front) This cemetery was established about 1739 by Joseph Cantey (d. 1763), planter and member of the Commons House of Assembly. It is on the site of Mount Hope, Cantey's plantation near the Santee River. Cantey served what was then Craven . . . — Map (db m53882) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Fuel 24Rigby Oil Co. Since 1915
The photograph above, taken about 1935, depicts the original gasoline station on this site. In 1939, Gulf Oil Corp. replaced it with a “modern” porcelain station, complete with wash and grease bays, and it occupied this corner until it, . . . — Map (db m52265) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Rimini — Halfway Swamp:“… In pursuit of a Brother to Kill Him”
In December 1781, Maj. Robert McLeroth and the 64th Regiment were conducting newly-arrived British army recruits of the Royal Fusiliers from Charleston to the High Hills of Santee. Learning of McLeroth’s movement, Col. Francis Marion led some 700 . . . — Map (db m51466) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Summerton — "Together Let Us Sweetly Live"
"Together let us sweetly live" Distinguished Followers of Justice Briggs VS. Elliott Rev. Joseph A. Delaine; Mr. Hammett Pearson; Mr. Levi Pearson; Mr. Harry Briggs; Mr. Joseph Lemon; Pioneers in the School Desegregation Case; Historical plaintiffs . . . — Map (db m52315) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Summerton — Fort Watson:Disrupting British Supply Lines
Assigned to hold all of eastern South Carolina but with only a small force at his disposal, Col. John Watson needed to build a fort to protect the vital transportation corridor between Charleston and Camden, the British inland headquarters. The spot . . . — Map (db m51477) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Turbeville — East Clarendon
Center Panel In Memory and in Honor of all East Clarendon men and women who served in the armed forces of our country Left Panel Army Air Force Right Panel Navy Marines Coast Guard Base In Grateful . . . — Map (db m50354) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — 16-22 — Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse
Darlington County This area become part of St. David's Parish in 1768, Cheraws District in 1769, and then Darlington County on March 12, 1785. In 1800 Darlington became a circuit court district, and again a county in 1868. Extensive territory . . . — Map (db m38101) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Darlington — Darlington County Confederate Monument
(North Side): On fame's eternal camping ground their silent tents are spread; and glory guards, with solemn round, the bivouac of the dead. (East Side): They never fail who Die in a great cause. While the tree of freedom's . . . — Map (db m46220) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Lamar — 16 - 66 — John Wesley Methodist Church
(Front) This church, founded about 1865, is the first African-American church in Lamar and was long known as Lamar Colored Methodist Episcopal Church. It was organized by Rev. John Boston, a former slave who was its first minister, serving . . . — Map (db m53696) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Rockton — 20-9 — Thomas Woodward
1/4 mile east stood the home of Thomas Woodward, prominent leader of the South Carolina Regulator Movement, 1768-1769. He was a member of the First Provincial Congress and a charter member of the Mt. Zion Society. As Captain of Rangers in 1775-76 he . . . — Map (db m47445) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Salem Crossroads — 20-15 — John Hugh Means/William Harper
(Front): Governor of S.C. (1850-1852), president of the 1852 Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession in 1860, John Means was born near here in 1812. A colonel in the 17th Regiment, S.C. Volunteers, CSA, he died Sept. . . . — Map (db m47540) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-7 — Fairfield County / Winnsboro
Fairfield County A center of activity in the Regulator movement to bring law and order to the backcountry, this area in 1769 was made part of Camden District under the Circuit Court Act. In 1775 it formed part of the District between the . . . — Map (db m47442) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-22 — Saint John's Episcopal Church
(Front): Organized in 1839 and named for St. John's, Berkeley Parish, this was the third Episcopal church established north of Columbia. The Rev. Josiah Obear became its first rector in 1841, serving 1841-49 and 1875-82. The first . . . — Map (db m47542) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Civil War Union Burials
(Front): One each side of this marker lie the remains of approximately 2300 Union soldiers who died as prisoners in the Florence Prison Stockade, between September 1864 and February 1865. The Stockade was located across Cemetery Street on . . . — Map (db m45963) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Desert Storm
To the men and women who answered the call DESERT STORM 1991 — Map (db m52248) WM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Florence National Cemetery
The Florence National Cemetery established in 1865 is this day re-dedicated to the memory of all the patriotic men and women who answered their country's call to service their inspiring contribution will help preserve in the . . . — Map (db m45967) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Florence Stockade Monument
This boulder was placed here by the United Daughters of the Confederacy of Florence, S.C. January 27, 1947 To record the fact that directly south of this spot was situated a stockade where 6,500 Federal prisoners were . . . — Map (db m45962) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Florence Veterans Park
Florence Veterans Park Dedicated November 11, 2008 to all Pee Dee area veterans who have proudly served in the United States Armed Forces. Committee Members In recognition of their vision and commitment to this worthy project. Rick Walden, . . . — Map (db m52256) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Francis Marion Memorial Highway
Erected in 1971 by the state of South Carolina as a memorial to General Francis Marion, the "Swamp Fox" whose guerrilla war tactics during American Revolution made him the chief scourge of the British in eastern South Carolina — Map (db m52273) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — POW✯MIA
(Front): In honor of all American Prisoners of War and Missing in Action Dedicated by Rolling Thunder® South Carolina Chapter 4 Florence 2008 (Reverse): POW*MIA emblem, WWI, WWII, . . . — Map (db m52250) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — Purple Heart Recipients
In honor of Purple Heart Recipients They paid for our freedom with blood. All gave some, some gave all. — Map (db m52252) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — September 11, 2001
This monument contains limestone damaged in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. It was recovered from the west facade of the Pentagon and is placed in remembrance of the 2,977 individuals killed in the attacks on our homeland. 184 perished at . . . — Map (db m52253) WM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — The Marine Corps League of Florence, SC
Uncommon valor was a common virtue. United States Marine Corps established Nov. 10, 1775 Detachment 410 chartered Oct. 14, 1977 Monument dedicated May 1, 2010 The Julian D. Dusenbury MCL detachment 410 honors all Marines who served . . . — Map (db m52249) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — World War II Memorial
Dedicated to the Men and Women of Florence County who answered the call of America in World War II *and* In memory of those who gave their young lives for God and Country Placed by The United Daughters of the Confederacy of Florence, South Carolina . . . — Map (db m52255) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Mill Branch — Burch's Mill:South Carolina’s First Civil War Nears It’s End
In South Carolina, the Revolutionary War had many of the characteristics of a civil war, with those who supported independence, (the Whigs or Patriots) fighting against neighbors and kinsfolk who remained loyal to the King (the Tories or Loyalists). . . . — Map (db m53714) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Rhems — Black Mingo Creek:Fighting Among Neighbors
In September 1780, Francis Marion returned to South Carolina after a short tactical retreat into the swamps of eastern North Carolina. Hearing that British and Loyalist forces were burning the homes of Whig militiamen in Williamsburg District, . . . — Map (db m53702) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — General Robert E. Lee
A tribute to the memory of General Robert E Lee "His monument is the Adoration of the South, his shrine is in every Southern Heart." Thomas Nelson Page. Erected 1935 By the Greenville Chapter and Fort Sumter Chapter of the United . . . — Map (db m10778) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — A Daring Plan
Outnumbered and with little hope of getting reinforcements, Lord Rawdon believed that it would be foolish to sit passively behind Camden’s fortifications. Instead, after an American deserter reported that Greene had no artillery, Rawdon chose to . . . — Map (db m48692) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — A Final Encounter
Late in the afternoon of April 25, Greene sent William Washington’s cavalry and Captain Robert Kirkwood’s Delaware company back to Hobkirk’s Hill to gather wounded men and stragglers. Seeing Major John Coffin and his Loyalist cavalry on the hill, . . . — Map (db m48737) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Action at Logtown
Logtown was a cluster of log houses one mile north of the colonial town of Camden. The American army approached Camden from the northeast on April 19, 1781. General Greene ordered Captain Robert Kirkwood and his company of Delaware Continentals to . . . — Map (db m48263) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — African Americans Choose Sides
At the start of the Revolution, South Carolina's slaves numbered over 100,000, compared to 70,000 white inhabitants. Most slaves labored on coastal plantations-only 6,000 lived in the backcountry. Slaves in the Camden area helped to build and . . . — Map (db m23492) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Agnes of Glasgow 1760 ~ 1780
Here sleeps Agnes of Glasgow, who tradition says followed her lover, of the British Army, across the ocean and through the wilderness to Camden. She was taken by death before she found him and buried here at night by King Haigler and his men. — Map (db m49276) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 3 — All the King's Men
The force fighting under Gen. Charles, Lord Cornwallis at the Battle of Camden was as diverse as the foe they faced. At the core of the British Army were the “regulars.” That may not sound threatening, but these highly trained . . . — Map (db m48000) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — American Commanders
Major General Horatio Gates (1728-1806) Born in England, Gates served as a staff officer during the French and Indian War (1754-1763), but later resigned from the British army. He moved to Virginia in 1772. At the outbreak of the Revolution, he . . . — Map (db m48895) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 5 — Attack at Dawn
Following the tradition of positioning the best troops at the commander’s right hand, Gen. Horatio Gates placed one brigade of Continentals on his right, and held the second in reserve, leaving inexperienced militia on his left. Since Cornwallis . . . — Map (db m48006) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Baron DeKalb
Baron DeKalb mortally wounded on this spot at Battle of Camden, Aug. 16, 1780. — Map (db m1700) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 28-1 — Battle of Camden
Near here on August 16, 1780, an American army under General Gates was defeated by British forces commanded by Lord Cornwallis. Major General Baron de Kalb was mortally wounded in this battle. British Troops Engaged Tarleton’s Legion, . . . — Map (db m11255) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Battle of Hobkirk's Hill
Along this ridge, American and British armies clashed on April 25, 1781, in the Revolutionary War Battle of Hobkirk’s Hill. Major General Nathanael Greene’s American troops had occupied the hill to threaten Camden, the most important British post in . . . — Map (db m48690) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — British Commanders
Lieutenant General Charles, Lord Cornwallis (1738 - 1805) Lord Cornwallis, a member of one of England’s most prominent noble families, began his military career in 1756. He distinguished himself during the Seven Year’s War (1756 - 1763). At . . . — Map (db m48894) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Camden - Strategic Key
At the start of the American Revolution, Camden was located here, just south of the present city. It was home to at least thirty families, a Presbyterian church, and a Quaker meetinghouse. With its court house, stores, artisans, and grist mills to . . . — Map (db m49034) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Camden Battlefield
. . . — Map (db m48179) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Capt. Robert Kirkwood (1756-1791)
At the start of the American Revolution, Robert Kirkwood served as a lieutenant in Hazlet’s Delaware Regiment and in 1777 was promoted to captain and company commander in the 1st Delaware Continental Regiment. In the Battle of Camden (Aug. 16, . . . — Map (db m48688) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 9 — Charge and Countercharge
After ordering Webster to attack, Cornwallis commanded Lt. Col., Lord Rawdon to advance on his left. Through heavy fire, they drove back the 2nd Maryland Brigade until Gen. Baron De Kalb succeeded in halting the British charge and leading a . . . — Map (db m48024) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Citizen - Soldiers
In colonial America, all able-bodied men from teenagers to sixty-year-olds served in the militia, a local force that turned out for military service in times of emergency. Official training sessions, or musters, were held once or twice per year in . . . — Map (db m23387) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Colonel Joseph Kershaw's Tomb
Joseph Kershaw (1727 - 1791) is buried in this family enclosure. He was a successful businessman, politician, district sheriff, and South Carolina Patriot militia colonel in the Revolutionary War. He helped mediate a peaceful settlement to the South . . . — Map (db m48183) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 8 — Defeat in the Center
Acrid smoke made it hard to breathe or see. The roar of gunfire and the death-cries of comrades made it hard to hear or think. The 1st Maryland Brigade and the NC militia battled the British 23rd and 33rd Regiments and light infantry in the center . . . — Map (db m48019) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 10 — Driven from the Field
Defeated along the entire front, the remaining American troops lost all military organization and fled in confusion. Some Continentals from the 1st Maryland Brigade retreated along the Great Wagon Road. Others, including survivors of the 2nd . . . — Map (db m48031) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Fruitless Victory
Lord Rawdon had defeated the American army at Hobkirk’s Hill, but the British gained nothing from the victory. Two days earlier, on April 23, South Carolina partisans under Francis Marion and Henry Lee’s Continental legion had forced the surrender . . . — Map (db m48697) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 6 — General Gate's Disgrace
When the militia fled before the initial British charge, Gates tried to rally them. However, the throng of panicked militiamen swept him up in their northward flight. Far removed from the battlefield, Gates assumed that his army had been . . . — Map (db m48013) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Greene's Counterblow
Seeing that the British line was much shorter than his own, Greene decided to counterattack. He ordered the 1st Maryland and 2nd Virginia regiments to make a frontal attack against the advancing British troops, while the 2nd Maryland regiment struck . . . — Map (db m48733) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Historic Camden Revolutionary War SiteWelcome to Historic Camden
Historic Camden Revolutionary War Site is located at the original site of Camden, the oldest inland town in South Carolina. Established in 1733, colonial Camden emerged as the trade center of the backcountry by the 1760s. On June 1, 1780, Camden’s . . . — Map (db m48897) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — In Honor and Rememberance
In honor and remembrance of the Heroes and Victims in the Fight Against Terrorism and to Celebrate the Enduring Spirit of All Americans Presented by Woodmen of the World — Map (db m48264) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — James Polk Dickinson
Side One In memory of James Polk Dickinson, a native of Camden born January 21st 1816. And died at Mixchoac Mexico Sept 12th 1847 Fearless of danger and undaunted by opposition he was an early active and zealous champion in the Floridian and . . . — Map (db m49273) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 28-10 — John C. West Boyhood Home
This farm was the boyhood home of John Carl West (b. 1922), governor of South Carolina 1971-75. West, a graduate of the Citadel and the University of S.C., served as an intelligence officer in World War II, as state senator 1955-66, and as . . . — Map (db m27656) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Joseph Kershaw (1728-1791)
A native of England, Joseph Kershaw came to South Carolina about 1755 and had moved to Camden (then called Pine Tree Hill) by 1758, where he established a store. As a member of the colonial legislator, Kershaw promoted Camden's development and . . . — Map (db m23382) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — King Haiglar Tower
   King Haiglar is often called the patron saint of Camden. From about 1750 until his murder by hostile Indians in 1763, this noble Catawba chief was a valuable friend to the pioneers of Pine Tree Hill, as Camden was then known.    Some time . . . — Map (db m23408) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Maj. Gen. Baron Johann de Kalb's Original Gravesite
Johann de Kalb (1721 - 1780) had a distinguished career in the French army and later served as a spy for the French Court, touring the British American colonies in 1768. He returned to America with the Marquis de Lafayette in 1777 to assist the . . . — Map (db m49354) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 2 — Meet the American Army of 1780
The Americans who fought the Revolutionary War reflected colonial society: an array of backgrounds, ages and skill. Professional soldiers mixed with non-military tradesmen, idealistic Europeans shared battlefields with illiterate farmers, Native . . . — Map (db m47997) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Native Allies
The Catawba Indians befriended and traded with the first English colonists who settled in the interior of South Carolina. In 1763, after a devastating smallpox epidemic, tribal leaders ceded most of their land in exchange for a reservation along the . . . — Map (db m23393) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Northeast Redoubt
This partially reconstructed redoubt was one of six small forts built by British forces during their occupation of Camden in 1780 - 1781. Manned by a detachment of infantry and supported by heavy artillery, these works served as the outer line of . . . — Map (db m49107) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Nothwest Redoubt
In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were well fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attacks by the . . . — Map (db m49355) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Old Camden Courthouse and Gaol
On this site stood the original Camden District Courthouse and gaol (jail), built in response to increased lawlessness in the South Carolina backcountry. Construction was completed in 1771 and the first term of criminal court convened shortly . . . — Map (db m49353) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Palisade Wall
This wall is a partial reconstruction of the wall erected by British forces during their occupation of Camden in 1780 - 81. The log wall completely surrounded the central portion of the town, which was located along both sides of Broad Street and . . . — Map (db m49112) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 7 — Panic and Valor
When ordering his militia to attack, Gates envisioned them marching forward and leaving their initial position vacant. He therefore instructed Gen. William Smallwood to advance his 1st Maryland Brigade to take their place. However, before . . . — Map (db m48014) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Pantheon
Generals C.S.A. Cantey Chestnut 1861 Deas 1865 Villepigue Kennedy Kershaw Natives of Camden — Map (db m51704) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Powder Magazine
This structure was built in 1777 under the direction of Joseph Kershaw for the state of South Carolina. A storage facility for ammunition, the magazine had a vaulted roof, 48 inch walls, and supporting butteresses and pillars. Although local . . . — Map (db m23385) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Presbyterian Meeting House
Near this memorial stood the Presbyterian Meeting House, first place of worship in Camden after that of the Quakers. It was built about 1774 on land given by Col. Joseph Kershaw and confirmed in his Will dated 1778. The first building was destroyed . . . — Map (db m49524) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Prisoners of War
Captured Americans were confined in Camden throughout the British occupation. When the American army approached the town in August 1780, British troops locked the town’s patriot leaders in the jail (located on the southeast corner of Broad and King . . . — Map (db m49106) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 11 — Pursued Beyond the Battlefield
After the battle, Cornwallis’s exhausted infantry held the field while Tarleton and his cavalry chased the Americans, capturing hundreds and killing untold others. Loyalists living north of Camden rounded up more patriot prisoners, turning them over . . . — Map (db m48040) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Quaker Burying Ground
Near here was the Meeting House built by the Quakers on four acres of land leased to them by Samuel Wyly on Sept. 6, 1759, for the term of 999 years at a yearly rental of one Pepper Corn, if lawfully demanded. This was their burial ground. The . . . — Map (db m49685) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Revolutionary War Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to American Revolutionary War heroes who were patriots of the Old Camden District … Markers are for Patriots buried in graves known and unknown … Patriots in marked graves in Quaker Cemetery are: Surgeon Isaac Alexander, . . . — Map (db m51707) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Richard Kirkland
(West face): To Richard Kirkland C. S. A. in commemoration of his heroism at Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, 1862. Christlike compassion moved him to leap over the stone wall, a mark for hostile guns, and carry water, again and again, to the . . . — Map (db m48188) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 4 — Shots in the Dark
Under a full moon in the dead of night, the advance guards of the two armies came upon each other on the Great Wagon Road. Britain’s Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton, marching from Camden with his dragoons, promptly charged the American cavalry of Col. . . . — Map (db m48004) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Southwest Redoubt
In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at the Town of Camden. They were fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial . . . — Map (db m49357) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Struggle for the Hill
After Lord Rawdon reinforced his flanks, American and British soldiers exchanged musket volleys for several minutes. The battered British units on Rawdon’s left soon began to fall back. Just as American victory seemed assured, a sharpshooter . . . — Map (db m48734) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The American Army
At Hobkirk’s Hill the American army numbered between 1,200 and 1,500 men. Col. Otho Holland Williams’s brigade held the left of the line. It consisted of two Maryland Continental regiments commanded by Col. John Gunby and Lt. Col. Benjamin Ford, . . . — Map (db m48268) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Americans Return
In late March 1781, Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene made one of the most important decisions of the Revolutionary War. Rather than pursue Lord Cornwallis’s British force toward Wilmington, North Carolina, Greene resolved to lead the American army back to . . . — Map (db m48185) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Battle of Hobkirk Hill
The Battle of Hobkirk Hill Revolutionary War April 25, 1781 Took Place on this ridge The Continental Army was commanded by General Nathaniel Greene and The British by General Lord Rawdon — Map (db m48266) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The British Army
Lord Rawdon commanded less than 950 men at Hobkirk’s Hill. The majority were American Loyalists in the Volunteers of Ireland (140), the King’s American Regiment (160), New York Volunteers (160), the South Carolina Royalists (130), and Major John . . . — Map (db m48271) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The British Attack
Rawdon’s advance companies, the light infantry and grenadiers of the Volunteers of Ireland, struck the pickets on Greene’s left. The musket fire alerted the Americans, who hurried to get into battle formation. Meanwhile, Rawdon deployed the . . . — Map (db m48735) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Camden Oakcirca 1790
As a mere sapling, I witnessed the rebirth of Camden after the devastations of the American Revolution. The British had occupied our town as a supply post in June 1780. When they evacuated eleven months later, they left it “little more than a . . . — Map (db m48739) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Cleveland School Fire
Erected to the memory of those who lost their lives in the Cleveland School Fire, on the night of May 17, 1923. Grace Arrants, Age 7 yr.; Ima Arrants, Age 17 yr; Mrs. Floride Brown, Age 47 yr.; Lottie Brown, Age 9 yr.; Eugene A. Brown, Age 57 . . . — Map (db m48563) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Common
The area between the Kershaw House and Camden was the scene of numerous military exercises throughout the years. Occupying British troops used the field as a parade ground, and in 1825, Revolutionary War hero the Marquise de Lafayette reviewed . . . — Map (db m49109) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The De Kalb Monument
(Front Face): To De Kalb Here lie the remains of Baron De Kalb, German by birth, but in principle, citizen of the world. (Left Face): He was second in command in the battle fought near Camden, on the 16th August, 1780, . . . — Map (db m47858) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Fortified Post
The first fortifications at Camden were constructed in March and April, 1780, to protect the town's powder magazine from surprise attack by Loyalists. When British forces under Lord Cornwallis occupied the town on June 1, they strengthened the . . . — Map (db m23390) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Loyalists
Many Americans opposed the Revolutionary movement, preferring to remain under British rule. These colonists called themselves "Loyalists". The Revolutionaries called them "Tories"or the "disaffected". When fighting began, state officials ordered . . . — Map (db m23384) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 1 — The Road to Battle
See that flat depression in the ground? That’s the surviving imprint of the Great Wagon Road, a route used by thousands of settlers from the 1740s to the early 1800s. The road began in Philadelphia, carrying Quakers, Germans, Scots-Irish and . . . — Map (db m47993) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Southern Campaign, Apr 1781 - Dec 1782
Upon returning to South Carolina, Greene moved against Camden, where Lord Rawdon commanded the British garrison. Rawdon attacked the Americans at Hobkirk’s Hill on April 25, 1781, and defeated Greene. However, partisan forces cut the British line of . . . — Map (db m49037) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Southern Campaign, Aug 1780 - Apr 1781
After the American defeat at Camden in August 1780, the remnants of the Continental Army regrouped in North Carolina. Lord Cornwallis decided to follow up his victory with an invasion of that state, and advanced from Camden on September 8. The . . . — Map (db m49041) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Southern Campaign, Dec 1778 - Aug 1780
The American victory at Saratoga, New York, in October 1777, and France’s subsequent entry into the Revolutionary War as an American ally, forced British officials to abandon their effort to achieve victory in the northern colonies. Instead, they . . . — Map (db m49044) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — War in the Backcountry
A few weeks of peace followed the British capture of Charleston in May 1780 and their occupation of the South Carolina and Georgia backcountry. However, determined patriots like Francis Marion and Thomas Sumter soon organized partisan units and . . . — Map (db m49113) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — West Redoubt
In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were well fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attacks by the . . . — Map (db m49356) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — William Washington's Ride
Lt. Col. Washington led his Calvary around the east side of the battlefield, then rode into the British rear at the base of Hobkirk’s Hill. There he found a large number of stragglers, wounded men, doctors, and other noncombatants. Washington . . . — Map (db m48736) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — Women in the Revolution
Women lived difficult lives in the Revolutionary era. They cooked, wove cloth and sewed it into clothing, washed, mended, and raised children. They also usually helped their husbands on the farm or in the family business. The war forced women to . . . — Map (db m23402) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Cassatt — 28-9 — Midway High School
(Front) Midway School, established on this site in 1923 with grades 1-11, served Cassatt and other rural areas in Kershaw County near U.S. Hwy. 1 from Little Lynches River to the Shepard community. The high school later added grade 12, then . . . — Map (db m47547) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Elgin — In Memory of All American Veterans
This memorial honors all American Veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common, undeniable goal ~ to valiantly protect our country's freedoms. The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on whenever and . . . — Map (db m51961) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Liberty Hill — 28 - 15 — Peay's Ferry / Peay's Ferry Road
(Front) A ferry was operated on the Wateree River, at a point about 4 mi. W, as early as 1775. In 1808 ferry rights were granted to Thomas Starke, Jr. and Austin Ford Peay (d. 1841), planters with property in Fairfield and Kershaw . . . — Map (db m49352) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Lugoff — Our Honored Dead
(West Face): Dedicated to Lt. Gen. James Maurice Gavin, USA March 22, 1907 ~ February 23, 1990 And Our Honored Dead *** 1st Commander 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment Commanding General 82nd Airborne Division Ambassador to France *** A . . . — Map (db m49770) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — 29-1 — Battle of Hanging Rock
About 2.5 miles south is Hanging Rock, where Maj. Davie surprised a British force, Aug. 1, 1780, and killed or wounded most of them. There also, Aug. 6, 1780, Col. Hill, Col. Irwin, and Maj. Davie, all under Gen. Sumter, successfully attacked the . . . — Map (db m23893) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — Birthplace of James Marion Sims, M.D.
James Marion Sims, World Famed Physician, Father of modern gynaecol'ogy A blessing and a benefactor to women was born in the farm house of his parents near this site January 25, 1813 Doctor to empress and slave alike founder of women's hospital . . . — Map (db m51638) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — The Battle Of The Hanging Rock
Here was fought the Battle of the Hanging Rock August 6, 1780 About 600 Militia of the Carolinas under Colonel Thomas Sumter destroyed the British Camp and killed and wounded over 200 of the British Troops under Major John Carden with a . . . — Map (db m53400) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-27 — Haile Gold Mine
(Front) In 1827 Benjamin Haile (1768-1842) found gold here while panning in the streams on his plantation. After he found gold ore as well, Haile set up a mining operation. By 1837 the Haile Gold Mine included a 5-stamp mill, with steel . . . — Map (db m23908) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-24 — Kershaw's First Library
This building, originally just south of Kershaw on what is now U.S. Hwy. 521, was built in 1900 for Capt. James V. Welsh (1845-1906) as the office for J.V. Welsh & Sons, a lumber mill. It later housed Kershaw’s first circulating library, founded by . . . — Map (db m23896) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-25 — Welsh's Station / Kershaw Depot
Welsh's Station Welsh’s Station, a depot on the Charleston, Cincinnati, & Chicago Railroad built in 1888, stood at or near this site. The town of Kershaw was first named for Capt. James V. Welsh, who donated 63 acres on which to establish a . . . — Map (db m23895) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
Dedicated to the officers of this county who gave their lives in the line of duty * B. Frank Sowell Lancaster Police 1937 * Walter T. Bell Highway Patrol 1939 * Curtis J Pope Constable 1943 * Coleman B. McAteer Constable 1947 * Roy D Hardin . . . — Map (db m49360) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas H Davis
Honoring Thomas H. Davis Site where his forty year selection, (1880), of okra led to the nationally known variety of "Clemson Spineless Okra" 1939 — Map (db m49358) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Midway — 29-20 — Flat Creek Baptist Church
This church, organized July 4, 1776 by Rev. George Pope, a native of Virginia, held its first meetings in a brush arbor on this site and was known as the Upper Fork of Lynches Creek until it was renamed Flat Creek Baptist Church in 1881. The first . . . — Map (db m23911) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Stoneboro — Stoneboro
Originally called Russell Place for the Irish immigrant William Russell who settled near here on a branch of Beaver Creek in 1768. General William Tecumseh Sherman passed through Russell Place in 1865 on his way to North Carolina. In 1871 James . . . — Map (db m51641) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Clinton — William Plumer Jacobs, D.D., LL.D.1842-1917
This stone, erected on the fiftieth anniversary of Thornwell Orphanage by men and women whose childhood was blessed by the founder and first president, is grateful testimonial of The Thornwell Orphanage Alumni 1875 - . . . — Map (db m11938) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — Felix Anthony "Doc" Blanchard
We point with pride to young Doc Blanchard- one of the greatest names in football- our hometown boy who met success with modesty- a boy who fit perfectly into the pattern laid down by his dad. With memory of your father, with . . . — Map (db m40623) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Manville — Central School1922 ~ 1952
Central School was erected on this site by a group of public spirited men and women who desired quality education for the children who lived in this area. The school offered educational opportunities for young people, grades one through eleven and . . . — Map (db m45701) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-11 — The Sycamore Tree
This tree was planted from a cutting of the old sycamore tree that stood several hundred feet west of here on the historic Two Notch Road. Local tradition holds that there had been a succession of sycamore trees at that site used as a landmark or . . . — Map (db m47549) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Sandy Run — Herman Geiger
Dedicated to the Memory of Herman Geiger Father ~ Hans Jacob Gyger, Born 1679, at village of Wydnau, Parish of Diapololsau, Switzerland. Mother ~ Margareta Fearin Gyger of same place, born 1684. Herman Geiger (Gyger) Born (or Christened) . . . — Map (db m52469) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Britton's Neck — 34-3 — Britton's Neck/Britton's Ferry
(Front) One of the oldest settlements in Marion County, Britton's Neck lay between Great and Little Pee Dee Rivers extending northward from the mouth of Little Pee Dee. It was named for Francis, Timothy, Daniel, Moses, Joseph, and Philip . . . — Map (db m45857) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Britton's Neck — 34 - 16 — Marion's Camp at Snow's Island
Front During the American Revolution Gen. Francis Marion (ca. 1732 ~ 1795), the most successful of the Patriot partisan leaders, made his camp and headquarters about 1.8 mi. SSW on Snow's Island. The island, named for settlers James and . . . — Map (db m53692) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — 34-2 — Confederate Navy Yard
The Confederacy established a navy yard 1/4 mile NW about 1863 on the banks of the Great Pee Dee River. Here, under the command of Lt. Van Renssalaer Morgan, a wooden gunboat, the C.S.S. Pee Dee, was built. Launched by November 1864, it was burned . . . — Map (db m45855) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — Francis MarionThe Swamp Fox
Born St. John’s Parish, S. C., 1732. Died February 27, 1795. Buried Belle Isle Plantation, Berkeley County, S. C. 1759 — French and Indian War 1761 — Cherokee Uprising 1775 — Captain, 2nd S. C. Regiment 1775 — . . . — Map (db m18082) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — Veterans Memorial Triangle
. . . — Map (db m52797) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — Veterans Monument
Front Dedicated to the veterans of Marion County that so nobly served their country in the following wars: World War II December 7, 1941 ~ September 2, 1945; Korean War June 25, 1950 ~ July 27, 1953. Also in special honor for those men . . . — Map (db m52796) WM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — World War Memorial
(Front): “To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high.” 1917 ~ 1918 Gave their lives: Brown, Fernie E.; Grainger, Ernest M.; Holden, Stephen; Lane, William F.; Martin, Walter W.; Sloan, Hayes; . . . — Map (db m52798) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Mullins — 34-13 — Mt. Olive Baptist Church
This church was founded in 1882 by 16 charter members, all former slaves or the children of former slaves. It held services in a brush arbor and a cotton gin before building its first sanctuary in 1886 at Main and Marion Streets. The present . . . — Map (db m45956) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Nichols — Drowning Creek
Drowning Creek the original name of Lumber River arising in NC with dangerous undercurrents, flowing past Nichols, SC, through Marion County, that was originally old Georgetown District and Liberty County. A crucial part in the defeat of the Tories . . . — Map (db m5085) HM
South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-36 — Ammons Family Cemetery
(Front) The family cemetery of Joshua Ammons (1756-1833), veteran of the American Revolution, is all that remains of his 500-acre plantation near the Three Creeks. Ammons, a native of Virginia, moved to S.C. by 1775, when he enlisted in the 3rd . . . — Map (db m43843) HM
South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-1 — Bennettsville
In 1819 the court house of Marlborough District was transferred from Carlisle, a village on the Pee Dee River, to this more central location. Bennettsville developed around the new court house in the heart of a rich farm land area. On March 6, 1865, . . . — Map (db m47555) HM
South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — Blenheim Mineral SpringsDiscovered 1781
The Mineral Springs were discovered in 1781 by James Spears, a Whig, who was trying to escape TORY troops, according to Legend. Mr. Spears Lost a shoe in a water hole. When he returned to retrieve his shoe, he tasted the water and noticed its strong . . . — Map (db m50341) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36 - 21 — St. Paul Lutheran Church
Front This church, founded ca. 1761 by the Rev. Joachim Bulow, is one of the earliest Lutheran congregations in what is now Newberry County. A log church built nearby before the Revolution was replaced by a frame church. A larger frame . . . — Map (db m52785) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Prosperity — Confederate Veterans
To the Memory of Confederate Veterans 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m50352) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Russell House
Russell House This was a busy Appalachian farmstead in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You could hear the laughter of children playing in the creek, lowing cattle and clucking chickens as they searched for food. Ganaway Russell built a . . . — Map (db m20978) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Oconee County World War Veterans
(Left Side):1914 ~ 1918 In Memory of Oconee County World War Veterans (Right Side):1914 ~ 1918 In Memory of Charles McGee Byrd Sergant, Machine Gun Co. 118th S.C. Infantry 30th Division Wounded Oct. 17th 1918 . . . — Map (db m50350) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Seneca Firsts
This site, lot No. 126, was the first sold at auction by J.J. Norton and A.W. Thompson, August 14, 1873 when 14 lots sold and Seneca City was founded. Purchased by John M. Dumas, who was named the first Postmaster on April 15, 1873. Site of: . . . — Map (db m46925) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Patriot's Hall: Oconee Veterans MuseumLest We Forget — South Carolina National Heritage Corridor
Built in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the “Old Rock Building” was constructed from rock found at nearby historic Stumphouse Tunnel. The building is owned by Oconee County. Before becoming the home to the Oconee Veteran's . . . — Map (db m46853) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — Westminster DepotSouthern Railway Passenger Station — South Carolina National Heritage Corridor
The original Westminster Freight Depot was built in 1885. The railroad contributed to rapid growth and development in the Westminster area. Following incorporation and continued growth, in 1911 the passenger depot was constructed. However, as . . . — Map (db m46848) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — 38-34 — Bowman Rosenwald School
(Front):

Bowman Rosenwald School, which stood here from 1927 to 1952, was one of several African-American schools in Orangeburg County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. The school, built in 1926-27 at a cost of $6,000, was a . . . — Map (db m43525) HM

South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Elloree — Snider House
This two-story house of heart pine and wooden peg construction was built by William J. Snider, founder of the town of Elloree. This house was moved from Charleston about 1870. This house is the first and oldest residence remaining in . . . — Map (db m25363) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Neeses — Neeses
(Front): Neeses was known as Silver Springs from its early settlement until September 29, 1898, when the name was changed to Neeses to honor Mayor John W. Neese who sold a right of way to the South Bound Railroad Co. May 18, 1891. Neese the . . . — Map (db m52371) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-26 — Claflin College
(Front) Claflin College, founded in 1869 as Claflin University, is the oldest historically black college in S.C. and was established to "advance the cause of education, and maintain a first-class institution ... open to all without distinction . . . — Map (db m47570) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Confederate Flag
We fly this Confederate Flag to honor the Confederate Soldiers who gallantly fought and died defending the bridge crossing at the Edisto River against Gen. Sherman’s troops February 12, 1865. The following are the Confederate troops present at the . . . — Map (db m52267) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-22 — Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard
(Front) Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. . . . — Map (db m47563) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg County / Discovering Orangeburg
Front Orangeburg County Parish House Built in the 1830s it is thought to be one of the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church . . . — Map (db m52792) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Veterans Memorial Fountain
This fountain erected as a memorial to those who gave their lives in the service of our country in World War II and the Korean Conflict by City of Orangeburg: S. Clyde Fair, Mayor F.F. Limehouse, Councilman Neil Blackmon, Councilman H.L. . . . — Map (db m52795) WM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Veterans Memorial Park
Veterans Memorial Park Dedicated to the Veterans of Orangeburg County November 11, 2009 — Map (db m52794) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-3 — "Commissioners' Oak"
In April 1786 Alexander Gillon, Henry Pendleton, Richard Winn, Richard Hampton, and Thomas Taylor, Commissioners appointed to lay out Columbia, are said to have met under an oak which grew near here. According to tradition the first court and jury . . . — Map (db m46449) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 9 -11 / First Responders
South Carolina Remembers the 2752 victims and 416 First Responders from New York City that gave their lives on September 11, 2001 — Map (db m50333) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-90 — Assembly Street
In 1786, when Columbia was established as the State Capital, the General Assembly decided that two principal thoroughfares should run perpendicular to each other through the center of town. One of these, Assembly Street, was named for the . . . — Map (db m7498) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-147 — Benedict College
Front Benedict College, founded in 1870 by the American Baptist Home Mission Society to educate freedmen and their descendants, was originally called Benedict Institute. It was named for Stephen and Bathsheba Benedict of Rhode Island, . . . — Map (db m52787) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Colonel Thomas Taylor1743 - 1833
This marker honors Colonel Thomas Taylor, Patriot of the American Revolution. It is erected during this bicentennial year of 1976 to commemorate his contribution to the educational, cultural, civic, and religious life of the people of Richland . . . — Map (db m51187) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
(Front): Confederate 1861 - Soldiers - 1865 Erected by The Confederate Home Albertson, Maberry; Bethea, W. F.; Brooks, Robert; Brown, G. W.; Bozman, William; Bush, J. E.; Carter, F. M.; Cameron, W. C.; Chambers, H. A.; Connell, W. E; . . . — Map (db m46844) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Confederate Soldiers Home
Confederate Soldiers Home by an act of the General Assembly in 1908, an infirmary was established on this site for the infirm and destitute Confederate Soldiers and Sailors of the state in 1925. Eligibility for admission was extended to wives and . . . — Map (db m46504) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Diamond HillThe home of Lt. General Wade Hampton, C.S.A.
Known as "Diamond Hill," which was burned by Union Troops during their invasion of Columbia, February 17, 1865, was located 125 feet due south of this spot. The stones in this monument formed part of the foundation of that home. — Map (db m46448) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Elmwood Cemetery Confederate Soldiers
J Baker • Samuel Hill • J C Schroeder William Barefoot • W D Hutto • Sindal Joseph Burns • R Johnson • A Smith F Butler • P P Killebrew • J Smith R Campbell • D F McFarland • Scott Nimrod Smith A C Catlett • McMaster • Suber J Darrell • . . . — Map (db m46632) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-40 — Fisher's Mill on Gill Creek
About 1800, Col. Thomas Taylor erected the small building, 1/4 mile upstream, where cotton goods were woven for his plantation needs. Here John and Edward Fisher later established one of the earliest spinning mills in Richland County, using slave . . . — Map (db m30454) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Geiger Ave. Cemetery
In loving memory this cemetery contains Confederate Veterans and their families in the central area and State Hospital patients in surrounding locations. — Map (db m51180) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — I. DeQuincey Newman Freeway
Named in 1986 by Action of the Richland County Legislative Delegation and Highway Commission in recognition of one of this state's most distinguished citizens. A Civil Rights leader who worked unceasingly for equal rights for all, he helped keep . . . — Map (db m49771) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — In Memory of the John H. Rose Family
In memory of the John H. Rose Family Property located to the north of this marker is part of a farm once belonging to John H. Rose an area pioneer from Fayetteville, N.C. A grist mill and saw mill on property was burned by Gen. Sherman's army. . . . — Map (db m52370) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — J. Marion Sims
J. Marion Sims 1813 1883 Where the love of man is there also is love of the art. Hippocrates (Lower Left): The first surgeon of the ages in ministry to women treating alike empress and slave (Lower Right): He founded the science of . . . — Map (db m49773) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Remembering Dr. King
Front The honorary designation of Harden Street and installation of markers in the name of the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. recognizes the achievements of a man who inspired the world to embrace equality and non-violence to . . . — Map (db m47684) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Site of the Surrender of Columbia, SC
Erected Feb. 17, 1914 by Wade Hampton Chapter, U.D.C. On the spot where Mayor T.J. Goodwyn surrendered the city of Columbia to Gen. W.T. Sherman Feb. 17, 1865 Councilmen O.Z. Bates • Samuel Leapheart John Stork • John McKenzie W.B. Stanley • . . . — Map (db m46453) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — 40-33 — South Carolina Female Collegiate Institute
At Barhamville, about ½ mi. west of this point, a famous girls' school, founded by Dr. Elias Marks (1790-1886), was located 1828-65. Among the students were Anna Maria, daughter of John C. Calhoun; Ann Pamela Cuningham, founder of Mt. Vernon . . . — Map (db m43644) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The "Columbiad" Cannon10 inch
This 10 inch Columbiad Cannon defended Charleston Harbor from 1863 until the end of the War Between the States in 1865. It has a smooth, non-rifled, bore and fires a 10 inch round ball weighing 104 pounds. The markings on this cannon tell a . . . — Map (db m51733) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — The Boys of Richland County
In Memory of The Boys of Richland County who made the Supreme Sacrifice in World War II Erected by the Civic Department of the Woman’s Club of Columbia Dedicated April 20, 1947 — Map (db m52272) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Unknown Confederate Dead Monument
(East): Soldiers of the Confederate States (South): “The death of men is not the death of rights that urged them to the fray.” (West): A loving memory from the Richland Memorial Association . . . — Map (db m46628) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — Vietnam Veterans & POWs
The flags and flagpoles on this building are dedicated to the men who served in Viet Nam and particularly to the gallant men who were prisoners or gave their lives in the defense of freedom. We recognize their devotion to their country . . . — Map (db m50959) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Columbia — William Earle Berne Beltway
Named in 1980 by the South Carolina State Highways and Public Transportation Commission in recognition of Dr. Berne’s distinguished service during three terms as a member of the Highway Commission representing the Fifth Highway District (Richland . . . — Map (db m52107) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Gadsden vicinity — 40-87 — Richland Presbyterian Church
(Front text) This church building was dedicated in May 1884 by Dr. John L. Girardeau. The congregation of 11 members, including 2 elders and 1 deacon, was organized on the Sabbath Day, November 16, 1883 by the Charleston Presbytery. In . . . — Map (db m43707) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Hopkins — 40-168 — Harriet Barber House
(Front text) In 1872 Samuel Barber (d. 1891) and his wife Harriet (d. 1899), both former slaves, bought 42 1/2 acres here from the S.C. Land Commission, established in 1869 to give freedmen and freedwomen the opportunity to own land. . . . — Map (db m38083) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Killian — 40- 136 — Killian School
(Front text) This one-room primary school, built about 1925, stood about 1 mi. E, at the intersection of Killian and Longtown Roads, until 2001. There was a school at Killian (also called Killian’s) as early as 1905. From 1913 to 1948 . . . — Map (db m43627) HM
South Carolina (Richland County), Kingville — 40-166 — Kingville
(Front): Kingville, a rural community, was established in 1840 as a station on the Louisville, Cincinnati, and Charleston Railroad, on the line from Charleston to Columbia. In 1848 the S.C. Railroad extended its line north east from here to . . . — Map (db m43643) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Dalzell — 43-22 — Furman Academy and Theological Institution
(Front) Established by the S. C. Baptist Convention in 1825, Furman opened in Edgefield in 1826. Later sites were here at High Hills (1829-1834), Winnsboro (1837-1850), and Greenville in 1851 (now Furman University). In 1859 the theological . . . — Map (db m47574) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Oswego — 43-28 — Bethel United Methodist Church
(Front) Established in 1856 by French Huguenot families with the consolidation of Lodebar, Rembert, Clark, and Sardis Methodist Churches, all dating from the early settlement of Sumter District. The first minister was Rev. Bond English; trustees . . . — Map (db m47578) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-44 — Concord Presbyterian Church
Front This church, organized in 1808 by Rev. George G. McWhorter of the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, held its first services in a brush arbor near Concord Springs. The next year Gen. Thomas Sumter donated two acres to the . . . — Map (db m47678) HM
South Carolina (Sumter County), Sumter — 43-8 — Sumter's Court Houses
(Front text) By Act of 1798, Commissioners were named "To ascertain and fix upon the most central place for the erection of a court house in the District of Sumter", and meanwhile "to fix upon a proper place for the sitting of the court". . . . — Map (db m27361) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — 44-14 — Site of Union Church, 1783-1819
Side A A "union" church, one founded as a Presbyterian congregation but also used by other denominations, stood here from ca. 1783 to ca. 1819. The church was founded ca. 1765 at Brown's Creek, 2 or 3 mi. NE. It met there in two successive log . . . — Map (db m13541) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Union County Veterans Memorial
In memory of those in Union County who gave their lives in defense of our country during World War I World War II Korean Conflict Vietnam War. — Map (db m13533) WM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Indiantown — Indiantown Presbyterian Church: “Disarm in the Most Rigid Manner”
After Francis Marion’s initial victories in August and early September 1780, British military authorities in South Carolina moved to eliminate the threat of an insurgency in Williamsburg District. Lord Cornwallis ordered Maj. James Wemyss to sweep . . . — Map (db m53898) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Kingstree: Gathering Vital Intelligence
By late August 1780, Francis Marion and the Whig militiamen of eastern South Carolina had already begun to cause alarm among the British military leaders in charge of subduing the province. Sensing the British would move against him, Col. Marion . . . — Map (db m53897) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Kingstree — Lower Bridge: Take the Low Ground!
Over three weeks in March 1781, Brig. Gen. Francis Marion conducted a series of engagements between the Santee River and Georgetown, battering a larger force of British regulars and Loyalist militiamen under the command of Col. John Watson. This . . . — Map (db m53893) HM
South Carolina (York County), Filbert — York County Veterans Memorial
(Front) York County Veterans Memorial In memory of those who served and those who died in all wars We are one Erected 1986 — Map (db m52270) WM
South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-45 — Springfield Plantation
(Front): This house was built ca. 1806 for planter John Springs III (1782-1853), who served in the S.C. House 1828-34 and was a partner in several banks, railroads, and textile mills before the Civil War. His son Andrew Baxter Springs . . . — Map (db m47679) HM
South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-49 — Unity Presbyterian Church
Front This church, founded in 1788, predates the present town of Fort Mill and has occupied four sites in the vicinity. The first church, a log building, stood about 2 mi. NE in a community known as “Little York.” It burned . . . — Map (db m47680) HM
South Carolina (York County), Hickory Grove — 46-44 — Hickory Grove Schools
(Front) Hickory Grove School, a two ~ story brick building constructed in 1916 on Peachtree St., was built for grades 1 ~ 11. In 1928 Hickory Grove High School, a one ~ story brick building, was constructed at the corner of Wylie Ave. and . . . — Map (db m52110) HM
South Carolina (York County), Sharon — Blairsville Schools
(Front) Blairsville Schools 1818 ~ 1819 The Earliest known school in the Blairsville Area was one headed by R.Y. Russell. Conducted in a converted corn crib on the farm of James Hogg, about one mile from this site. 1830 ~ 1867 About . . . — Map (db m52108) HM

291 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 91
Paid Advertisement