Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

608 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 408
 
Guardian Missile image, Touch for more information
By Michael Kindig, October 20, 2010
Guardian Missile
Arizona (Apache County), Chambers — Painted Desert / Finding Fossils
The colorful mesas, buttes, and badlands before you compose a natural work of art--the Painted Desert. Wind and running water cut these features from the Chinle Formation deposited over 200 million years ago when this area was a vast inland . . . — Map (db m72925) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bentonville — Big Tree — Largest Sycamore in Arkansas
Circumference 21.45 ft. height 106 ft. diameter BH 82 in. spread 120 ft. To insure protection during its lifetime, owner Bill Bradford on April 11, 1975, legally willed to itself this tree and all land within a radius of 10 feet from its trunk and . . . — Map (db m50368) HM
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 934 — Fresno Assembly Center
This memorial is dedicated to over 5,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry who were confined at the Fresno Fairgrounds from May to October 1942. This was an early phase of the mass incarceration of over 120,000 Japanese Americans during World War II . . . — Map (db m51570) HM
California (Humboldt County), Petrolia — Cape Mendocino Lighthouse — Lit Dec. 1, 1868 to Mar. 3, 1951
Built at 422 ft. elevation, the light swept 30 mi. to sea. The perilous waters here claimed nine ships. Mules took supplies to the site, 15 mi. north, the westernmost in the U.S. Dedicated to the Keepers of the Light — Map (db m51954) HM
California (Imperial County), Ocotillo — De Anza Overlook
Juan Bautista De Anza led two groups of Spanish explorers and settlers across this portion of the Colorado Desert from Northern Mexico to San Francisco Bay. During each tortuous passage, the Spanish camped below here in Yuha Wash. The passage in . . . — Map (db m50683) HM
California (Imperial County), Ogilby — Obregon
The historic gold mining community of Obregon lies near here in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains. As a frontier town, Obregon marks the location of several attempts to extract ore during the 1890s through the 1930s. Several different milling . . . — Map (db m51577) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — Picacho
As Avi-Milikit of Quechen legends; Picacho noted Spanish arrival in 1640, lured Sonora miners after 1852, brought steamboats to its mining and milling port until 1910. Her mines were never worked to extinction, but Picacho became a squatter haven. . . . — Map (db m51576) HM
California (Imperial County), Winterhaven — The Plank Road — Planks, Mules, and Model Ts
The Plank Road once provided the only means of crossing the treacherous Imperial Sand Dunes. This historic road spurred settlement of Imperial County and development of San Diego at the start of the automobile age. — Map (db m50618) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — The Little Kittie Inn
In August 1924 Matt Wilkenson opened the Kittie Lee Inn, which was named for his daughter. When William R. Whorff purchased it in 1925, the Kittie Lee became "the" place to stay for Hollywood's finest. When Bishop Airport was a training center . . . — Map (db m72572) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley Junction — 51 — Death Valley Junction
This historic crossroad has been used by Indians, Clampers, Death Valley 49ers, ranchers, farmers, settlers and tourists. The town was originally called Amargosa. In 1907, the name was changed to Death Valley Junction. At this junction, the Tonopah . . . — Map (db m78583) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — Cerro Gordo
Cerro Gordo discovered by Mexicans in 1865 was at $17,000,000 Inyo's wealthiest mineral producer. Silver, lead, xinc, water and supplies all went by mule train, tram. The "Bessie Brady" boat across Owens Lake and Remi Nadeau mule teams to build the . . . — Map (db m72747) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — Owens Lake Dust Mitigation Program
Owens Lake was once over 300 feet deep and part of a large ancient freshwater lake. As the climate changed over centuries, the lake began to dry up leaving behind concentrated minerals and salts. By 1905, diversion of water by farmers in the Owens . . . — Map (db m72575) HM
California (Inyo County), Keeler — 752 — Owens Lake Silver-Lead Furnace
The Owens Lake Silver-Lead Furnace and Mill was built here by Col. Sherman Stevens in 1869 and used until March 1874. James Brady assumed its operation in 1870 for the Silver-Lead Company and built the town of Swansea. During the next few years the . . . — Map (db m72576) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Ballarat — 3 1/2 Miles
Now a ghost town, Ballarat served nearby mining camps from 1897 to 1917. They produced nearly a million in gold. The jail & a few adobe ruins remain. Seldom Seen Slim, it's last resident, was buried in Boothill in 1968. It had a school but no . . . — Map (db m50875) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — 107 — Ballarat
3 1/2 miles east of this point lies Ballarat. Established in 1897 as a mining camp and supply center for the gold and silver mines located on the western slope of the Panamint Mountains. It was named after a well-known gold producing area in . . . — Map (db m78549) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — Lone Pine Film Museum
This Plaque Presented to The Beverly and Jim Rogers Lone Pine Film Museum to Honor Masons and Shriners. Dedicated to all Masons and Shriners who appeared in movies filmed in the Alabama Hills, Lone Pine and surrounding areas. Presented by Kerak . . . — Map (db m72578) HM
California (Inyo County), Lone Pine — 112 — Panamint City
Rich sliver ore was discovered in December 1872 at the head of Surprise Canyon 12 miles northeast of here. The United States Senators for Nevada, John P. Jones and William Morris Stewart, invested in and promoted the camp which drew a peak . . . — Map (db m78544) HM
California (Kern County), California City — 129 — The Randsburg - Mojave Road
The Randsburg Mojave Road was built by Rice & Shippee of Mojave to speed stage transportation from the Southern Pacific railroad station at Mojave, to the rich gold mines in the Randsburg area; service commenced on November 22, 1898. The stage left . . . — Map (db m78529) HM
California (Kern County), Inyokern — "Siding 16" — 1909 - 2009
This Railroad Siding, established in 1909, was the beginning of the town of Inyokern. In celebration of its 100th anniversary, it is with pride that the Inyokern Chamber of Commerce contributes this commemorative . . . — Map (db m50242) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — 990 — Christmas Tree Lane
The 135 Deodar Cedar trees were planted in 1885 by the Woodbury Family, the founders of Altadena. First organized by F.C. Nash in 1920, the "Mile of Christmas Trees" has been strung with 10,000 lights each holiday season through the efforts of . . . — Map (db m50989) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Carson — Robert A. Cinader
Robert A. Cinader's involvement with the Los Angeles County Fire Department began in 1971 when he filmed a pilot television movie about the county's fledgling paramedic program. "Emergency" aired in 1972 and ran as a prime time show for five . . . — Map (db m50349) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Cerritos — Cerritos Air Disaster Memorial
On August 31, 1986 at 11:56 A.M., two planes collided above a Cerritos neighborhood in the vicinity of Carmenita Road and 18rd Street. The tragic accident claimed 82 lives, destroyed 11 homes and severely damaged seven others. The collison was . . . — Map (db m73108) HM
California (Los Angeles County), City of Industry — 874 — William Workman Home
Home of pioneer William Workman. Workman and co-owner John Rowland developed the 48,790-acre La Puenta Rancho. Workman and co-leader Rowland organized the first wagon train of permanent eastern settlers which arrived in Southern California on . . . — Map (db m50981) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 10 — La Ballona School
Originally a wood-frame structure, classes began for the 1865-66 school year as a part of the Ballona School District. In its first year, there were 17 boys and 11 girls registered in 14 classes. The teacher, Miss Craft from Boston, received $50 a . . . — Map (db m49959) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 3 — St. Augustine's Church
In 1883 this land was donated by Seρor J. Francisco Figueroa to the Roman Catholic Church of Los Angeles in order that a mission church be built to serve the people of La Ballona Valley. In 1887 a small wooden chapel was built on this site. Priests . . . — Map (db m49951) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 2 — The Hull Building
The Hull Building was built on this site in 1925. Dr. Foster Hull, having the interest of his profession at heart, built the most modern medical offices and hospital possible for that time. Early in the 1930's, Louis Freeman acquired the building . . . — Map (db m49950) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 8 — The Lugo Ranch
The Lugos, a Spanish landgrant family, arrived in the pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles in the 1700's and settled prior to 1900 on this site. This was originally a portion of Rancho La Ballona which was established by the Machados. . . . — Map (db m51869) HM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — The Frederick G. Exner Memorial Windmill — Erected February 17, 2000
Donated by Frederick G. Exner to the El Monte Historical Society Historical Artifact to Compliment the Osmund House Facility This "The Aermotor Company" windmill was first erected in Gore, North Dakota, in April 1916, and served as a sole . . . — Map (db m51290) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — First United Presbyterian Church — 1939 — Architect: Easton D. Herrald
Modeled after English Gothic churches, this is the third church on the site where the Long Beach United Presbyterian congregation was founded in 1906. The sanctuary has beautiful woodwork and stained glass. — Map (db m73099) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Grand Army of the Republic Highway — U.S. 6
This monument marks the western end of a coast to coast highway extending a distance of three thousand six hundred fifty-two miles through fourteen states. It was erected by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War in memory of the heroic . . . — Map (db m72661) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — JAAN-2 Gun Battery
(There are two markers with identical text) These two concrete pads are the remains of a gun battery, known as JAAN-2 (Joint Army And Navy), that was in operation during World War II. Established as part of the Harbor Defense of Los . . . — Map (db m97719) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Long Beach Skating Rink — 1929
This venue was built in 1929 as a multi purpose auditorium. In 1935 it opened as the Dunbar Skating Rink and served this function for many years. In 2001, after a period of vacancy, the Robert Gumbiner Foundation, through an adaptive reuse program, . . . — Map (db m72710) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Long Beach Unity Society of Practical Christianity Church — 1940 — Architect: Raymond A. Sites
Unity, a non denominational Church, was founded in Long Beach by the Reverends Louise and John Samuel Newman in 1923. A grass roots fundraising campaign led to the purchase of this site in 1933. Construction began in 1941. Architecture was inspired . . . — Map (db m72707) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Ranchos Los Alamitos - Los Cerritos - Los Coyotes
[Upper Marker - as seen in 2001] This monument marks the intersection of three original California Ranchos: Rancho Los Alamitos Rancho Los Cerritos Rancho Los Coyotes [Lower Marker - as seen in 2002] Ranchos Los Alamitos . . . — Map (db m50231) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — St. Luke's Episcopal Church — 1934 — Architect: Soule and Murphy
Founded in 1897, St. Luke's Episcopal Church has been a center of religious, cultural and social activities. The English Tudor Gothic church with its distinctive spire and courtyard is the second church at this site. It replaced the 1917 building . . . — Map (db m72621) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The First Congregational Church of Long Beach
. . . — Map (db m72455) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The First High School
Long Beach citizens built at this location the first publicly owned high school structure in Los Angeles County outside Los Angeles City. The Board of Trustees met here in April of 1893, dedicated the building in May, and opened it to pupils in . . . — Map (db m72449) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Sovereign — 1922 — Architect: Charles S. McKenzie • Builder: Wallace and Bush
The oldest remaining highrise on the ocean bluffs, this unique "own your own" apartment building has provided elegant seaside living at the center of resort activity. — Map (db m72704) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Walker Building — 1929 — Architects: Meyer and Holler
Originally Marti's Department Store, later Walker's Department Store, located in the heart of the city's retail district. Meyer and Holler were prominent Los Angeles architects, famous for many landmark buildings. — Map (db m72452) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Veterans Memorial — United Aerospace Workers — McDonnell Douglas Corporation
[Panel #3] This Veterans Memorial is Dedicated by the Employees of McDonnell Douglas Corporation to Honor the Sacrifices of the Men and Women who Have Served Our Nation in War and Peace. More than 12,000 McDonnell Douglas Corporation . . . — Map (db m101481) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced Theatre — El Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m50952) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 144 — Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles — Our Lady Queen of Angels
This tablet commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the erection of this church Our Lady Queen of Angeles. Built in 1814 by the Franciscan Fathers, restored and enlarged in 1912 Right Reverend Thomas James Conaty being Bishop of . . . — Map (db m50935) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico House — El Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m50949) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 730 — Plaza Fire House
Dedicated to the firemen of the Los Angeles Fire Department - past, present and future - who, since 1871, by their courage and faithful devotion to duty have protected the lives and property of the citizens of Los Angeles from the ravages of fire. — Map (db m51301) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — 966 — The Adamson House
Designed by Stiles O. Clements in 1929, this Spanish Colonial Revival home contains the best surviving examples of decorative ceramic tile produced by Malibu Potteries. During its short existence from 1926 to 1932, Malibu Potteries made an . . . — Map (db m50986) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Manhattan Beach — 1018 — Manhattan Beach State Pier
Designed by City Engineer A.L. Harris, this pier was constructed by the City of Manhattan beach during the years 1917-1920. The roundhouse building was added a year later. Harris' innovative design featured a rounded end to the pier, which helped it . . . — Map (db m50990) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — 157 — San Fernando Mission
Founded in 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco Lasuen We honor those men of faith, courage and vision who guided the founding of the mission and also those who have preserved it for posterity — Map (db m50946) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Norwalk — American Legion Norwalk Post 359
Chartered 1929 Historical Landmark — Map (db m65828) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Blackbird Air Park — Air Force Plant 42
[Panel #1] Blackbird Wind Tunnel Model (One-Twelfth Scale) Aircraft models such as this are used in high-speed wind tunnels to test aerodynamic shapes, stresses, and temperatures. This particular model was used for testing all . . . — Map (db m51182) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — 381 — Portuguese Bend Whaling Station
On the slopes below and west of this plaque stood the quarters of Portuguese whalemen who put out through the surf in boats under oars and sail to harpoon passing gray whales to be towed ashore where the blubber was stripped and "tried out" in large . . . — Map (db m50975) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — San Gabriel Mission — Founded September 8, 1771
This marks the oldest building in Southern California of brick, stone and mortar. Built 1791-1805, completed and dedicated. — Map (db m50947) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Portuguese Bend
The Palos Verdes Peninsula is an up lifted block of land forced out of the sea at a rate of about 0.4 millimeters per year over the last 2 million years. Once an island, the peninsula is encircled by thirteen wave cut terraces. These broad "benches" . . . — Map (db m42124) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Signal Hill — 6 — Broadcasting and Music on the Hill — Part of the “Memory Necklace” — A Series of Historical Panels Located in the Hilltop Loop Trail
The Hilltop Star Room, also known as the Hilltop Cafe, was once an entertainment icon on “The Hill.” The building, located just in front of this panel, was the old carriage house from the Denni Mansion property, hauled across the street . . . — Map (db m100455) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Signal Hill — 2 — Car Climbs on the Hill — Part of the “Memory Necklace” — A Series of Historical Panels Located in the Hilltop Loop Trail
The ascent of Signal Hill (elevation 364 feet) was not just a fantasy for automobile drivers of the early 1920s. In January 1921, the Long Beach Daily Telegram advertised an upcoming effort by a Dodge touring car to climb “The . . . — Map (db m100502) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 681 — Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree
Planted in 1907 as an experiment for the University of California. — Map (db m50978) HM
California (Mono County), Lee Vining — Mono Lake
These Plaques Featuring Little Known and Forgotten Facts About Mono Lake E Clampus Vitus Bodie Chapter No. 64 Dedicated September 13, 2013 Mono Lake - Land of Many Uses Except for fishing, this "inland sea" has been a lake of . . . — Map (db m72569) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 201 — Mother Colony House
First house built in Anaheim, 1857, by George Hanson, founder "The Mother Colony", group selecting name given settlement. This German group left San Francisco to form grape growing colony. Southern California Vineyards became largest in California . . . — Map (db m50119) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 48 — Old Anaheim Library
Anaheim's first building constructed exclusively for library use was erected in 1908 with a grant of $10,000 from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The site was purchased with funds raised by popular subscription. This building was designed by Los . . . — Map (db m50042) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 11 — Site of San Pedro Gate — 1857
The original townsite of Anaheim was surrounded by a living fence of willow trees to keep out the livestock which roamed freely on the open range. This is the site of the gate that was opened to permit travel to and from San Pedro and Los Angeles. — Map (db m49990) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — 918 — Olinda
The course of oil production was changed in 1899 when the Olinda area became the first site in California to use the technique of drilling with the hole full of water. Having been developed as a source of fuel oil for for the Santa Fe Railroad, . . . — Map (db m50337) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — 50 — Olinda Oil Museum and Trail
On this site, Edward L. Doheny drilled the first oil well in the Olilnda field in 1897. Olinda #1, drilled to 806 feet, pumped about 50 barrels per day (bpd). By 1898, ten wells were drilled, some producing up to 100 bpd. In 1899, the Santa Fe . . . — Map (db m50045) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 43 — Buena Park Woman's Clubhouse
Since its establshment in a newly created Orange County (1889), the Buena Park Woman's Club has influenced the civic life of its community. The club helped establish a volunteer fire department in 1915, a library district in 1919, and the town's . . . — Map (db m50036) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 20 — Knotts Berry Farm
Founded as a 10-acre farm in 1920 by Cordella and Walter Knott, developer of the boysenberry. From berry fields came a tea room, berry market, nursery and one of the Nation's oldest themed amusement partks now on 150 acres with authentic replicas of . . . — Map (db m50002) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923(c) — Map (db m59886) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c) — Map (db m59897) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921(c) — Map (db m59880) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 227 — Diego Sepϊlveda Adobe
This home of early Spanish Californians, erected in the 1820's, once served as an "estancia" or station for mission herdsmen. It was dedicated in 1963 for public use by the Segerstrom Family and restored by the City of Costa Mesa. It is jointly . . . — Map (db m50306) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Mesa Tavern 1928(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Mesa Tavern 1928(c) — Map (db m59894) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Middaugh Shoes 1929(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Middaugh Shoes 1929(c) — Map (db m59900) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Model Drug Store 1928(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Model Drug Store 1928(c) — Map (db m59883) HM
California (Orange County), Dana Point — 189 — Dana Point
Named for Richard Henry Dana, author of "Two Years Before the Mast", who visited here in 1835. El Embarcadero, the cove below, was used by hide vessels trading with Mission San Juan Capistrano. This trade reached its peak in 1830-1840. In 1818 . . . — Map (db m50346) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 30 — Courreges Ranch
Homesite of Roch and Magdalena Mogari Courreges. Roch, a Basque sheep rancher, farmer and businessman, came to the area n 1878 and purchased "the Bluff" in 1896. He was a founder of the First National Bank of Huntington Beach, the Smeltzer Telephone . . . — Map (db m50014) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 126 Main Street — Historic Site of the Standard Market
A stylish two story Zigzag Moderne market was built and operated in 1926 by Roy de Britton and his son Bob. The open air market contained a meat market, produce counters and the rainbow lunch counter, a popular meeting place. Night time . . . — Map (db m51965) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Scout Cabin — City of Huntington Beach Historical Site
This rustic cabin was erected in 1924 by the Lions Club, local carpenters union and Edison Company as a center for scouting in Huntington Beach and has been in continuous use by Troop 1, Boy Scouts of America, ever since. The cabin was . . . — Map (db m59874) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 6 — Laguna Beach Art Museum
The Laguna Beach Art Association, started by Edgar Payne, was a natural development of the art colony established about 1900. The first gallery was in Old Town Hall. The permanent gallery, constructed on this site in 1929, houses a collection of . . . — Map (db m49985) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Hills — 28 — Fossil Reef
Before you are the white limestone remains of an 18,000,000 year old tropical shell reef. Formed in a shallow bay, it contains fossils of scallops, clams, and tube worms. Mudstones of the same age, found nearby, held fossil whales and shark teeth. . . . — Map (db m101952) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 32 — Heritage Hill Historic Park
Vivid reminders of El Toro's past are preserved in Orange County's first historic park. The Serrano Adobe (circa 1883), El Toro Grammar School (1890), St. George's Episcopal Mission (1891), and Harvey Bennett Ranch House (1908) reflect the history . . . — Map (db m50016) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Mormon Battalion Marker
Dedicated to the valiant members of the historic Mormon Battalion who stopped here on March 20, 1847, as they marched from San Diego to Los Angeles. A division of the U.S. Army of the West, these brave soldiers, trusting in God, overcame incredible . . . — Map (db m50351) HM
California (Orange County), Modjeska Canyon — 205 — Modjeska's Home
Famous as the home of Madame Modjeska, one of the world's great actresses, it was designed by Stanford White in 1888 on property called the Forest of Arden. Sold soon after her retirement, it remains a monument to the woman who contributed . . . — Map (db m50303) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 775 — First Water-to-Water Flight
Glen L. Martin flew his own plane, built in Santa Ana, from the waters of the Pacific Ocean at Balboa to Catalina Island, May 10, 1912. This was the first water-to-water flight and the longest and fastest over-water flight to that date. Martin, on . . . — Map (db m50334) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 198 — Old Landing
On September 10, 1870, Captain Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time on the Sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated "Newport" - a new port - by James . . . — Map (db m50345) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 35 — Rendezvous Ballroom
Built near this site in 1928, the Rendezvous became a showcase for Big Bands, especially during "Bal Week." For 38 years, the sounds of dance music echoed from this block-long ballroom, which was destroyed by fire in 1966. The music and dancing have . . . — Map (db m50019) HM
California (Orange County), North Tustin — Red Hill
In early descriptions it was known as Cerrito De Las Ranas, meaning the Hill of the Frogs. In the 1890s this hill became the scene of mining excitement. Its soil composition, very red in color, had caused early American settlers to name it Red Hill. . . . — Map (db m51966) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 204 — Old Santa Ana
Portola camped on bank of Santa Ana River in 1769. Jose Antonio Yorba, member of expedition, later returned to Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. El Camino Real crossed river in this vicinity. Place was designated Santa Ana by travelers, and known by . . . — Map (db m50302) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "El Adobe de Capistrano"
An historic landmark uniting the "Miguel Yorba Adobe" 1778 "Juzgado" (Court and Jail) 1812 — Map (db m51945) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — O'Neill Museum
Built in the 1880's, this Victorian house was one of the town's first wooden buildings. It was moved from its original location across the tracks and about a block south. The building was restored in 1979. — Map (db m51937) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 200 — San Juan Capistrano Mission
Founded in 1776 by Padre Junipero Serra. The seventeenth in the chain of twenty-one missions established in Alta California to Christianize and civilize the Indians. Stone church destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule. . . . — Map (db m50226) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Site of the Valenzuela Adobe
Antonio Valenzuela, early pioneer of the town of San Juan Capistrano, built the adobe in the early 1840s, probably on the ruins of a mission Indian adobe dating to the 1790s. Later Valenzuela family members worked as local cowboys or vaqueros. The . . . — Map (db m51934) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 837 — Orange County Courthouse
Built in 1900 of Arizona red sandstone, this is the oldest existing county courthouse in Southern California. Significant and far-reaching court decisions were handed down here, including the "Whipstock" case which dealt with slant oil drilling, . . . — Map (db m50526) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — 26 — First Advent Christian Church
This church is the oldest in Tustin, having been in continuous service since 1881. The original sanctuary contains pews which came around the Horn from the East Coast by sailing ship. — Map (db m50010) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — Loma Hanging Tree
Under this tree General Andres Pico hung two banditos of the Flores Gang in 1857. — Map (db m50022) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — 24 — Post Brother's Plow
Built by Charles R. Post in 1937 to reclaim farmlands ruined by floods, the Post Brothers' Plow is considered to be the world's largest plow. Measuring 37 ft. long, 12 ft. high, and 11 ft. wide, with a blade of 86 in. it was pulled by five 100 . . . — Map (db m50008) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 1015 — Richard Nixon Birthplace — "I was born in a house my father built." — President Richard Nixon (1913-1994)
In 1912 Frank and Hannah Nixon built this modest farmhouse on their small citrus ranch. Here Richard Nixon was born, January 9, 1913, and spent his first nine years. He served his country as Congressman, U.S. Senator, Vice President, and 37th . . . — Map (db m50342) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 226 — Site of Don Bernardo Yorba Hacienda
On this land, portion of Santa Ana grant awarded by King of Spain 1810 to Jose Antonio Yorba, and additional grants to his son by Governor Jose Figueroa 1834, was created Hacienda of Don Bernardo Yorba. Greatest ranchero of golden age, Bernardo . . . — Map (db m50305) HM
California (Riverside County), Aguanga — 15 — Jacob Bergman — 1832 - 1894
Gracious Host Station Keeper Stage Driver U.S. Trooper "A house beside the road - A friend to man" — Map (db m78595) HM
California (Riverside County), Anza — 63 — Hamilton School, Anza
Until the 1880s, James Hamilton was among the very first homesteaders in the Cahuilla Plains or Hamilton Plains, now Anza, and was a highly respected pioneer who overcame many obstacles in his life, including prejudice. The Hamilton School District . . . — Map (db m50709) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 73 — 390th Bomb Group (H) — Activated at Blythe Army Air Base
Blythe Army Air Base was constructed during 1942 to train heavy bomber crews. 127 officers and men recevied orders in February 1943, to form 4 squadrons of the 390th Bombardment Group (H). The 390th B-17s joined the 8th Air Force in England . . . — Map (db m78572) HM
California (Riverside County), Blythe — 101 — Giant Desert Figures
Times of origin and meaning of these giant figures, the largest 167 feet long, smallest 95 feet, remains a mystery. There are three figures, two of animals and a coiled serpent, and some interesting lines. [Panel #1] Blythe . . . — Map (db m50992) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 985 — Desert Training Center — California Arizona Maneuver Area
The D.T.C was established by Major General George S. Patton Jr. in response to a need to train American combat troops for battle in North Africa during World War II. The camp, which began operation in 1942 covered 18,000 square miles. It was the . . . — Map (db m50700) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 992 — Site of Contractors General Hospital
In 1933, Dr. Sidney R. Garfield opened Contractors General Hospital six miles west of here. His modest facility successfully delivered health care to Colorado River Aqueduct workers through a prepaid insurance plan. Later, in association with . . . — Map (db m81829) HM
California (Riverside County), Chiriaco Summit — 113 — The Chiriaco Family
Joseph L. Chiriaco came to California from Alabama in 1925. His work as a surveyor for the Los Angeles Bureau of Water and Power and later for the Metropolitan Water District on the Colorado River aqueduct, begun in 1931, brought him to the desert . . . — Map (db m78543) HM
California (Riverside County), Chuckwalla — 149 — 36th Evacuation Hospital (SM)
During the opening days of the World War II, more than 18,000 square miles of the Arizona and California desert were designated by the U.S. Army as a military training facility. The facility, conceived by General George Patton and referred to as the . . . — Map (db m78512) HM
California (Riverside County), Corona — 186 — Serrano Tanning Vats
Nearby, two vats were built in 1819 by the Luiseρo Indians under the direction of Leandro Serrano, first non-Indian settler in what is now Riverside County. The vats were used in making leather from cow hides. In 1981 the vats were restored and . . . — Map (db m50643) HM
California (Riverside County), Fontana — 93 — Fontana Farms Company — Camp No. 1, Foreman's Ranch House — In Operation, 1905-1941
Joe McKamie alerted Fontana Historical Society about Camp. Ora Scott provided interest free loan of $10,000 and City of Fontana gave down payment of $3,000 to save house. Society acquired ownership title to house on November 22, 1978. Restoration . . . — Map (db m50717) HM
California (Riverside County), Indio — 116 — Dr. June Robertson McCarroll
Dr. June Robertson McCarroll was born June 30, 1867 in the Adirondacks and began her medical career in Chicago. She left a promising practice for Indio in 1904. Becoming the sole practicing physician for the entire Coachella Valley. She traveled by . . . — Map (db m78540) HM
California (Riverside County), Mecca — 84 — The Salton Sea
Once connected to the Gulf of California, waters within the Salton Basin extended nearly to Palm Springs. Because of deposits from the silt laden Colorado River, the north end of the gulf (now in Imperial County) was sealed off and Lake Cahuilla was . . . — Map (db m78567) HM
California (Riverside County), Pine Cove — 26 — Speed-of-Light Experiment
From this location instruments reflected light in 1926 to Mount Wilson, 82 miles northwest. The work was one of a series of experiments conducted by Nobel Prize-winning scientist Dr. Albert A Michelson to refine the value of the speed of light. . . . — Map (db m50697) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — 787 — De Anza Crossing of the Santa Ana River — 1775 and 1776
On January 1, 1776, the first party of colonists to come overland to the Pacific Coast crossed the Santa Ana River south of this marker and camped between here and the river. Recruited in the presidios of Sonora, Mexico, and led by Lt. Col. Juan . . . — Map (db m50995) HM
California (Riverside County), Rubidoux — 51 — Robidoux Grist Mill Site
In 1846 the first grist mill in this region was built nearby by Louis Robidoux, owner of this section of Rancho Jurupa. The mill provided flour, a popular but scarce commodity, for settlers and American troops. The mill was washed away by a flood in . . . — Map (db m50677) HM
California (Riverside County), San Jacinto — 989 — Soviet Transpolar Landing Site
Three miles west of this site, on July 14, 1937, three Soviet aviators completed a transpolar flight from Moscow in 62 hours, 17 minutes, establishing a new world's nonstop distance record of 6,305 miles. The huge single-engine aircraft, an ANT-25 . . . — Map (db m50706) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Arrowhead — Donald S. Wieman — 1900 - 1977
In 1932, during the Great Depression, California launched a large public works project to aid recovery. A major component was the construction of masonry walls, parapets and fountains along the historic "Rim of the World" highway. This work, widely . . . — Map (db m51261) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Baker — 22 — Francis Marion "Borax" Smith
Francis Marion "Borax" Smith built the railroad to move borax out of the hills and Death Valley in 1907 to replace the twenty mule teams that crossed this way to Ludlow. — Map (db m78589) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Baker — Salt Creek Hills — Area of Critical Environmental Concern
This area was the focus of both prehistoric...American activities and historic...mining. The rich environment provides...for numerous species. Please...protect these natural and c... This ACEC is open for hiking and non...d vehicle use. . . . — Map (db m72928) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Baker — 34 — Soda Springs - Zzyzx Mineral Springs
In 1860 the U.S. Army established an outpost at Soda Springs to protect government supplies from Indians. Later, miners processed the adjacent lake minerals. In 1906 the Tonopah & Tidewater railroad arrived. From 1944 to 1974 Dr. Curtis H. Springer . . . — Map (db m78587) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Barstow — 156 — Stoddard Wells Road
Previous to the building of Stoddard Wells Road, the primary route of travel between the Fish Ponds (present-day Daggett) and Little Meadows (present-day Victorville) was by way of the Mojave River and Lane's Crossing. Although it later became known . . . — Map (db m92810) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Devore — 573 — Sycamore Grove
This campsite on both the Mojave Trail over the mountains and the Cajon Pass Route was probably first seen by Spanish and American traverlers in the 1770's and was noted by them in 1806, 1849 and 1850. Michael White, grantee in 1843 of the . . . — Map (db m70606) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Fort Irwin — Deep Space Station - 14 — Commemorating 40 Years of Service to the Deep Space Network — 1966 - 2006
As a communication platform: Supporting space exploration beginning with the Mariner 4 mission to Mars, and through the years providing a vital link to NASA's robot explorers across the solar system, including Voyager, Mars Exploration Rovers, . . . — Map (db m50371) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Goffs — 136 — Army Camp at Goffs — Desert Training Center — California-Arizona Maneuver Area
The U. S. Army maintained a camp at Goffs 1942-1944. Goffs was an important railhead, supply point, hospital, and for three months in 1942 Headquarters of the 7th Infantry Division. That unit went on to distinguish itself in combat in the Aleutians . . . — Map (db m78523) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Goffs — 65 — Goffs Schoolhouse — 1914
The first school in Goffs opened its doors for the fall term in 1911 serving the needs of cattle ranches, mining districts, homesteaders, the railroad, and, most of all, the people supporting expanding travel on the National Old Trails Road – . . . — Map (db m78575) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Hesperia — Las Flores Ranch Barn
Largest old barn in Southern California. Erected in 1872 by ranch owners, Amos P. Houlton and James F. Houghton, with lumber cut and transported from Sawpit Canyon by oxen. — Map (db m50649) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Loma Linda — 95 — Guachama Rancheria
"Guachama Rancheria, lying along this road, was named San Bernardino May 20, 1810, by Francisco Dumetz. In 1819 it became the San Bernardino Rancho of Mission San Gabriel. The adobe administration building stood about 70 yds. north of this spot, an . . . — Map (db m51015) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lucerne Valley — 737 — Chimney Rock
Conflicts between Indians and white settlers over the rich lands of the San Bernardino Mountains culminated in The Battle at Chimney Rock on February 16, 1867. Although the Indians defended themselves fiercely, they were forced to retreat into the . . . — Map (db m63982) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lucerne Valley — The Last Indian Fight in Southern California
In January 1867 Indians left their camp east of Chimney Rock to go into the San Bernardino Mountains where they looted and burned several cabins and a sawmill. In retaliation, a possee surprised the Indians at their camp and killed and wounded many, . . . — Map (db m50849) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ludlow — 139 — Project Carryall
...and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. Micah 4:3 With the end of World War II and the onset of the Cold . . . — Map (db m78521) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ludlow — 133 — Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad Shops
Seeking a more efficient way to get borax from his mines on the east side of Death Valley to processing facilities near Los Angeles, and hoping to tap the booms at Rhyolite, Tonopah, and Goldfield, Nevada, Francis Marion Smith built the Tonopah and . . . — Map (db m78526) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — Bagdad Cafe — Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Originally built in the 1950s, this world-famous restaurant was the location of the 1988 film, "Bagdad Cafe," which became the new name of the restaurant in 1995. — Map (db m52229) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — 963-1 — Camp Cady (1860-1871)
Camp Cady was located on the Mojave Road which connected Los Angeles to Albuquerque. Non-Indian travel on this and the nearby Salt Lake Road was beset by Paiutes, Mohaves, and Chemehuevis defending their homeland. To protect both roads, Camp Cady . . . — Map (db m50718) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry Springs — 145 — Historic Mojave River Road
The River Bluff Ranch is on the north bank of the Mojave River near the historic locations of Calico Ghost Town, Newberry Springs, Yermo, and abandoned relics of U.S. Army outpost Camp Cady. To the east are the Mojave Road, the Old Spanish Trail, . . . — Map (db m73477) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry-Baker — 19 — Camp Rock Spring
To the United States Soldiers of Camp Rock Spring --- who guarded the U.S. Mail No glory there, nor much chance for military fame, but true patriots and heroes were they, to submit to such privations--yet these are the nurseries of the army, . . . — Map (db m78592) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Newberry-Baker — 40 — The Mojave Road
Long ago Mohave Indians used a network of pathways to cross the Mojave Desert to reach the Pacific Coast from their homes along the Colorado River. In 1776, the Spanish Missionary Francisco Garces became the first non-Indian to trek these . . . — Map (db m78586) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Phelan — 577 — Mormon Trail Monument
In June 1851, 500 Mormon Pioneers came through this pass to enter the San Bernardino Valley where they colonized and established a prosperous community. — Map (db m51024) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Phelan — 154 — Sanford Cutoff
For centuries the Cajon Pass has been an important thoroughfare for travelers and traders between the Mojave Desert and Southern California. Following the route of the Old Spanish Trail, most travelers transited the pass on its east side. This . . . — Map (db m80751) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 994 — A.K. Smiley Public Library
Albert K. Smiley, a leader of the city's library movement, donated this building and park to the citizens of Redlands in 1898. Through his generosity, Redlands was given one of California's few privately funded libraries of that era. In 1906, he . . . — Map (db m51029) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 43 — Mill Creek Zanja
Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan Fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch (or "zanja") in 1819-20. In historical sequence the zanja . . . — Map (db m51013) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 42 — San Bernardino Asistencia
This branch of San Gabriel Mission was constructed about 1830 on the San Bernardino Rancho. During the 1840s, its buildings were used by Josι del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. Later, after its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by . . . — Map (db m51012) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — Mormon Pioneer Trail
On June 1851, the first major group of 520 Mormon settlers entered Southern California at Baldy Mesa Ridge in the West Cajon Pass. This location is northwest of Highway 138, about four miles from the Palmdale Freeway offramp. The Wagon Route ran . . . — Map (db m51259) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 302 — Settlement of San Bernardino
(top-center plaque) In March 1851 Charles C. Rich and Amasa M. Lyman, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, left Utah with 437 people "to establish a stronghold for the gathering of saints in California." Jefferson . . . — Map (db m79018) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — The Council House
On this site the first public building erected in this county was the Council House. Built by Amasa Lyman and Charles C. Rich in 1853. Built of adobe, it was the central office of the Mormon interests both religious and secular. Later it was our . . . — Map (db m79019) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — To Jedediah Smith — Pathfinder of the Southern Sierras
Born at Brambridge in Northern N.Y. January 6, 1799 he discovered south pass of the Rocky Mts. the great gateway through which passed nearly all subsequent migration west and northwest from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He was the first American . . . — Map (db m79016) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Victorville — 142 — Emma Jean's
Emma Jean's Holland Burger Cafe a Route 66 icon has been serving up meals to locals and hungry travelers on the highway since 1947. The building was built by Bob and Kate Holland from cinder blocks manufactured at the old fiber tile plant located . . . — Map (db m78518) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Vidal — 151 — Iron Mountain Divisional Camp — Desert Training Center — California-Arizona Maneuver Area
Iron Mountain divisional camp was established at this site in the spring of 1942. One of eleven such camps built in the California-Arizona desert to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. The first . . . — Map (db m77424) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Yucaipa — 528 — Yucaipa Adobe
Consructed in 1842 by Diego Sepulveda, nephew of Antonio Maria Lugo, this is believed to be the oldest house in San Bernardino County. The land, formerly controlled by San Gabriel Mission, was part of Rancho San Bernardino, granted to the Lugos in . . . — Map (db m51018) HM
California (San Diego County), Borrego Springs — 785 — Santa Catarina
This spring area was named by Captain Juan Bautista De Anza when his Overland Exploration party camped here on March 14, 1774. During the opening of the Anza Trail from Sonora into Alta California. Anza's colonizing expedition of 1775, consisting of . . . — Map (db m50365) HM
California (San Diego County), Campo — 411 — Campo Stone Store
The pioneer Gaskill brothers of 1868 built a frame store which was raided on December 4, 1875, by border bandits. This fort-like replacement of summer, 1885, was bought in 1896 by E.T. Aiken, resold to Klauber Wangenheim, 1889, and operated by Henry . . . — Map (db m51087) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — San Pasqual
The State of California honors with this monument the American Soldiers who, under the leadership of Brig.-Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, Captain Abraham R. Johnston, Captain Benjamin D. Moore, Edward F. Beale, U.S.N., and Kit Carson, the . . . — Map (db m51980) HM
California (San Diego County), Escondido — 533 — San Pasqual Battlefield
While marching to the conquest and occupation of California during the Mexican War, a detachment of 1st U.S. Dragoons, under the command of Brig. Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, was met on this site by native California lancers under, the command of Gen. . . . — Map (db m51095) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — Julian Town Hall — 1914
The 1st and 2nd halls, 1871-1876, were businesses available for civic uses. The 3rd, 1876, Centennial Hall, honored the 100th Anniversary of the USA, became too small and was sold for scrap. The 4th, 1897, an impressive building, burned Dec., . . . — Map (db m51699) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 304 — Vallecito Stage Station
A reconstruction (1934) of Vallecito Stage Station built in 1852 at the edge of the Great Colorado Desert. It was an important stop on the first official transcontinental route, serving the San Diego-San Antonio ('Jackass') mail line (1857-1859), . . . — Map (db m51579) HM
California (San Diego County), Julian — 304 — Vallecito-Butterfield Stage Station — 19 Miles
One of the chief remaining landmarks of famous old stage line. Coaches and spring wagons carried passengers and mail. Stations were built at 20-mile intervals. The first stage on the line left St. Louis on September 15, 1858. — Map (db m51582) HM
California (San Diego County), Oak Grove — 482 — Camp Wright — 1861 - 1866
First established October 18, 1861, on Warner's Ranch at "Fork of the Trail to San Diego", to guard the communications between California and Arizona. Moved to this site by Major Edwin A. Rigg, First California Volunteers, about November 23, 1861. . . . — Map (db m51092) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 74 — Casa de Carrillo
Presidio Comandante Francisco Maria Ruiz built this house next to his 1808 pear garden late in 1821 for his close relative and fellow soldier, Joaquin Carrillo, and his large family. From this adobe dwelling, in April 1829, daughter Josefa Carrillo . . . — Map (db m82465) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 64 — El Desembarcadero
A landing near this point was used on May 1, 1769, by men from the San Antonio and San Carlos to bring fresh water from the San Diego River close by to the anchorage in the bay. For almost a century the landing and channel were used by . . . — Map (db m51079) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 764 — Kate Olivia Sessions' Nursery Site — 1857 - 1940
This plaque commemorates the life and influence of a woman who envisioned San Diego beautiful. On this site she operated a nursery and gained world renown as a horticulturist. She was the first woman to receive the International Meyer Medal in . . . — Map (db m51098) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Mormon Battalion
No. 7 Dedicated in commemoration the heroic sacrifice and history-making achievements of the Mormon Battalion "whose march over 2000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego help to win California for the Union and open a . . . — Map (db m51992) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 830 — Old Town San Diego
Settled by pensioned soldiers from the presidio and their families, Old Town grew into a cluster of adobe houses and garden plots in the early 1800s. By 1835, "it was composed of about 40 dark brown looking huts." The Stars and Stripes were first . . . — Map (db m51101) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Point Loma
[Marker #1] In commemoration of the early aviation pioneers that flew American designed and manufactured sailplanes in San Diego. These aviators are remembered by those who flew after them and the citizens of San Diego. John C. Barstow . . . — Map (db m51788) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 891 — Spanish Landing
Near this point, sea and land parties of the Portola-Serra Expedition met. Two ships, the San Antonio and San Carlos, anchored on May 4-5, 1769. The scurvy-weakened survivors of the voyage established a camp, where on May 14 and July 1 they greeted . . . — Map (db m51104) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — Sylvester Pattie — Pathfinder
Leader of the first party of Americans into Alta California over southern trails Arrived at San Diego Presidio March 27, 1828 An officer in the war of 1812 Born in Kentucky August 25, 1782 Died near this spot April 24, 1828 First . . . — Map (db m51997) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — The 500 Volunteer Soldiers of the Mormon Battalion — 1840 - 1848
In the midst of preparations for their exodus to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake, the Mormon pioneers were asked by the United States government to enlist a battalion of 500 volunteers for service in the war with Mexico. These troops started from . . . — Map (db m51991) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 1 — William Heath Davis House, 1850
The Davis house is the oldest surviving structure from San Diego's New Town. It is an example of a prefabricated, "salt-box" style home. Built on the East Coast, shipped around Cape Horn, and assembled in San Diego, The Davis House originally stood . . . — Map (db m51791) HM
California (San Diego County), Warner Springs — 311 — Warner Ranch House
In 1844, Gov. Manuel Micheltorena granted 44,322 acres to Juan Jose Warner who built this house. Gen. Kearny passed here in 1846; Mormon Battalion in 1847. First Butterfield Stage stopped at this ranch on Oct. 6, 1858 enroute from Tipton, Mo. to San . . . — Map (db m51084) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Carpinteria — 535 — La Carpinteria (1769)
The Chumash Indian Village of "Mishopshnow," discovered by Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, August 14, 1542, was located one-fourth of mile southwest of here. Fray Juan Crespi of the Gaspar de Portola expedition named it "San Roque," August 17, 1769. . . . — Map (db m50554) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Lompoc — 340 — La Purisima Mission ← 3 Miles
Established December 8, 1787, by Father Lasuen. Damaged by earthquake, 1812: removed from control of Franciscans, abandoned 1834. State and National Park Service restoring major and many small structures, and water system. Only example in California . . . — Map (db m50515) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Lompoc — 928 — Original Site of Mission de La Purisima Concepcion de Maria Santisima
The ruins at this site are part of the original Mission La Purisima, founded by Padre Fermin d Lasuen on December 8, 1787, as the 11th in the chain of Spanish missions in California. The mission was destroyed by earthquake on December 21, 1812; the . . . — Map (db m50517) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara Presidio — Founded 1782
This tablet marks the southeasterly boundary of the Santa Barbara Presidio founded in 1782 by Gov. Felipe de Neve and Capt. Jose Francisco Ortega in command of fifty soldiers accompanied by Fray Junipero Serra who dedicated the site. — Map (db m51994) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 636 — Site of Royal Spanish Presidio
This presidio was established under orders of King Carlos III, April 19-21, 1782, by Governor Felipe De Neve, Padre Junipero Serra and Lieutenant Jose Francisco Ortega, to provide the benefits of government for the inhabitants of the Santa Barbara . . . — Map (db m50557) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Maria — 877 — Chapel of San Ramon
This redwood frame chapel, erected in 1875 by Frederick and Ramona Foxen Wickenden for area residents, illustrates the transition between the architecture of the old missions and the frame churches of the later American settlers. It is a unique . . . — Map (db m50560) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Vandenberg AFB — Camp Cooke Memorial — 1941 - 1946
First Marker: 5th Armored Division "Victory" Activated Ft. Knox, KY - 1 October 1941 • VAFB (then Camp Cooke) February 1942 - March 1943 • Desert & Tennessee Maneuvers - 1942 & 1943 • Deployed to E.T.O. February 1944 • Landed . . . — Map (db m51112) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Vandenberg AFB — USAF Medal of Honor Recipients
In memory of USAF Medal of Honor Recipients World War I 2d Lt. Erwin R. Bleckley - Oct. 6, 1918, Binarville, France • 2d Lt. Harold E. Goettler - Oct. 6, 1918, Binarville, France • 2d Lt. Frank Luke, Jr. - Sept. 29, 1918, Murvaux, . . . — Map (db m50514) HM
California (Solano County), Vacaville — Peρa Adobe Park — City of Vacaville
Dedicated to the Peρa and Vaca families who in 1842 settled what became the Rancho Los Putos, choosing this valley for their homes. Pause and enjoy the heritage of the hills, lake and valley which the pioneers called Laguna. Bienvenidos . . . — Map (db m14138) HM
California (Stanislaus County), La Grange — La Grange
This area has seen four phases of mining – placer, tunneling, hydraulic, and dredging. This bucket, one of a chain of 100, holds 12 c.f. and is from one of the worlds largest dredges. The Tuolumne Gold Dredging Co. started operation of the . . . — Map (db m94799) HM
California (Stanislaus County), La Grange — Saint Louis Mission
Built in 1852 by the French inhabitants of the Township of La Grange and dedicated by the Catholic Church in 1854 as a mission. It is the first church of any denomination in Stanislaus County. — Map (db m42565) HM
California (Stanislaus County), La Grange — 1 — The Old Barn – First Adobe Building
First adobe building in La Grange Built prior to 1850 Used for post office and later stables for horses that brought freight in from Waterford. — Map (db m42585) HM
California (Stanislaus County), La Grange — The Old La Grange Schoolhouse
This building, circa 1875, replaced the Branch District School that was built of rough lumber in 1855. Typical of the era, it is one room with handmade furnishings, porch and bell tower. A native of Iowa, C. C. Wright came here and began teaching in . . . — Map (db m42562) HM
California (Tulare County), Visalia — Tulare County Election Tree
Under a nearby tree a party commanded by Major James D. Savage, on July 10, 1852, conducted an election by which Tulare County was organized. Woodsville, Site of Wood's Cabin, the first small town settled by white men in Tulare County, and first . . . — Map (db m51573) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Chinese Camp — Don Pedro Lake
Created by Don Pedro Dam on the Tuolumne River near LaGrange. This project was completed in 1971 to provide irrigation, domestic water, flood control, electricity, recreation and fish enhancement. Constructed by City and County of San Francisco . . . — Map (db m13199) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Groveland — Groveland Hotel
Built in 1849 for Joshua D. Crippen and Co., it served as an adobe trading post and dwelling house until 1865. George Reid bought the property in 1851. Sold to Matthew Foote in 1866 who converted the building and opened the Garrote Hotel, renamed . . . — Map (db m51559) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — Sonora Inn
The Sonora Inn, originally the Hotel Victoria, is comprised of two buildings. The northern structure is stone and the southern is wood. G.B. Ventre and Philip Cavalero began construction on the stone building in 1895. Before its completion the . . . — Map (db m51557) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — Sonora IOOF Lodge No. 10
Organized June 7, 1853 Two members serve as Grand Master Building erected 1850 Remodeled twice — Map (db m51565) HM
California (Tuolumne County), Sonora — 01-1971 — Tuolumne County Courthouse — 1898
In 1854, Tuolumne County’s first courthouse was erected on this site donated to the county by John and Israel P. Yaney. The cornerstone of the present courthouse, which replaced it, was dedicated September 26, 1898, at ceremonies held under the . . . — Map (db m51574) HM
California (Ventura County), Newbury Park — 659 — Stagecoach Inn
Originally located some 200 yards to the north, the Stagecoach Inn was built in 1876. Its redwood lumber came by sea and was freighted up the steep Conejo Grade by multi-team wagons. From 1887 to 1901, the hotel served as a regular depot for the . . . — Map (db m51035) HM
California (Ventura County), Newbury Park — 30 & 44 — Stagecoach Inn and Sycamore Tree
"The hotel was built by James Hammell as the Grand Union Hotel in 1876 and was often called the "Conejo" or "Big" Hotel. In 1885, the site was purchased by Cecil Haigh. In 1965, his grandson, H. Allen Hays, donated 4 acres and the hotel to the . . . — Map (db m78003) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — Governor Juan Alvarado
Granted the Rancho San Francisco on January 22, 1839, to Antonio del Valle, including 48,815 square acres. Jacoba Felz filed a claim against this grant, which was dismissed June 8, 1857. The Del Valle family chose Camulos as their home, which later . . . — Map (db m51439) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — 553 — Rancho Camulos
Rancho Camulos has been designated a National Historic Landmark This residential complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America Ygnacio del Valle established Rancho Camulos . . . — Map (db m51033) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 115 — Olivas Adobe
This adobe is the only early two-story adobe in the Santa Clara River Valley. A small one-story adobe, built in 1837 was enlarged in 1849 by Don Raimundo Olivas: a prosperous cattle rancher. Continuous use has preserved the adobe for public viewing. — Map (db m51032) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — Olivas Adobe — 1837
The original small adobe on this site was built by Don Raimundo Olivas and his son, Nicolas, in 1837. The present structure was begun in 1847, with roof beams from the Santa Paula Canyon, and tiles made from native soil. Don Raimundo lived in this . . . — Map (db m51424) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 847 — Ventura County Courthouse
The courthouse was designed in 1910 by one of the early pioneers of architecture in Southern California--Albert C. Martin, Sr. Dedicated in July 1913, the structure is an outstanding example of neoclassic architecture, a style prevalent in the . . . — Map (db m51038) HM
California (Yolo County), Woodland — 864 — Gable Mansion
The Gable Mansion is an outstanding example of 19th Century Victorian Italianate architecture, one of the last of its style, size, and proportion in California. This structure was built in 1885 for Amos and Harvey Gable, pioneer Yolo County ranchers. — Map (db m57627) HM
California (Yolo County), Woodland — The Gibson House
William Byas Gibson came to California from Missouri by mule team in 1850 at the age of 19. In 1856 he started construction of the Gibson House which became the nucleus of his subsequent 3,000 acre estate. He married Mary Cook and they had 3 sons. . . . — Map (db m72887) HM
Colorado (El Paso County), Colorado Springs — Welcome to Garden of the Gods Park
The Central Garden Trail is a moderate, one-mile round-trip loop. It is paved and wheelchair accessible. This trail will take you between the towering Gateway Rocks into the heart of Garden of the Gods Park. Along the way you will have the . . . — Map (db m72936) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Riverton — Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge
Rainbow Curve Bridge constructed in 1923 over Brush Creek. Only remaining Marsh Arch Bridge on Route 66. Listed on the National Registry March 10, 1983. — Map (db m52060) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Chevy Chase — Woodend Manor House
The Woodend Manor House was designed in Georgian style by John Russell Pope in 1927, on what was once the hunting grounds for Algonquin Indians. The house was originally the residence of Chester and Marion Wells, who wanted the house to recreate the . . . — Map (db m61560) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 10 — Christensen House "The Castle" — 1935
This fairy-tale residence reflects the unique family that built it, whose roots stretch back to a pioneering Utah Mormon blacksmith, ranchers in Idaho and Nevada, and railroad workers in Las Vegas. The life of Las Vegas pioneer Lucretia Tanner . . . — Map (db m51052) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 13 — Las Vegas Paiute Colony — 1911
The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) bought this ten-acre site in 1911 from Helen J. Stewart, former owner of the Las Vegas Ranch, to provide a home for the Southern Paiute Indians living in and near Las Vegas. With this purchase, the government . . . — Map (db m51055) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 5 — Moulin Rouge — 1955
The first integrated hotel and casino in Las Vegas, the Moulin Rouge opened in May 1955. It is celebrated as a landmark of racial integration in Las Vegas and the United States. Entertainers from the Las Vegas Strip and Hollywood flocked to its . . . — Map (db m51047) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 7 — St. James the Apostle — Catholic Church 1940
St James has been a vital force in meeting the needs of this underserved, segregated but expanding community. The second Catholic Church in Las Vegas, St. James opened in 1940 in a small concrete building at H and Morgan streets (pictured . . . — Map (db m51049) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Laughlin — 140 — Camels and Commerce
After the United States government's successful experiment with camels in the west in 1857, entrepreneurs saw possibilities in the ungainly beasts for carrying supplies. In addition to the government's camels, which were sold off by 1864, two . . . — Map (db m78520) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Arcadia — 215 — Route 66
Whether motorists called Route 66 the Ozark Trail, the Will Rogers Highway, Main Street America or the Mother Road, all remember Arcadia's Round Barn. The well-known landmark was built in 1898 by W.H. Odor. After the route was designated a . . . — Map (db m52003) HM
Oregon (Lincoln County), Newport — Devil's Punchbowl
Devil's Punchbowl is a hole in the sandstone terrace. It was formed by the collapse of the roof where two sea caves met, one from the north and the other from the west. Water enters the bowl at high tide, and during storms its churning and foaming . . . — Map (db m52157) HM
Texas (Potter County), Amarillo — Cadillac Ranch
Created by Ant Farm Copyright 1974 (Lord Marquez, Michels) All Rights Reserved Stanley Marsh 3, Owner In May 2002, Cadillac Ranch, one of the most recognizable landmarks on Route 66, became the 11th landmark to be restored as part of . . . — Map (db m50369) HM

608 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 408
Paid Advertisement