Anderson Building, 1914
Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places
Built by local Chandler rancher and early business investor John Anderson, this structure was home to Curry and Frye's Pool Hall, . . . — — Map (db m72037) HM
Dougherty Building, 1914
Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places
This building, constructed by Michael F. Dougherty, has been home to a number of businesses, including the Charles Karp Clothing . . . — — Map (db m71008) HM
Price Building, 1914
Chandler Historic Commercial District on the National Register of Historic Places
Chandler's first elected Mayor, David Jacobson, built this structure. It is named for Arthur E. Price, Chandler's first attorney and . . . — — Map (db m72051) HM
Originally built in 1899 as the Arizona and Utah Railway, this short-line reached almost twenty five miles from the siding at McConnico on the Sante Fe to the White Hills. In 1904, a storm washed out much of the route. In 1905, the Sante Fe acquired . . . — — Map (db m48288) HM
On March 12, 1885 Governor Frederick A. Tritle signed legislation creating the University of Arizona. Selim M. Franklin and C.C. Stephens, Pima delegates to the 13th Territorial Legislature fathered this Bill. Jacob S. Mansfeld solicited the 40-acre . . . — — Map (db m26386) HM
This Historical Spot
1892 to 1898
was part of the Mammoth Mine claims known as the Montezuma in 1893. Then after 1910 became known as
Calamity. In 1944 this claim became known as the Bluebird.
The Bluebird Mine was found in 1893 and first . . . — — Map (db m93130) HM
In memory of Wales Arnold.
Co. E, 5th Cal. Vol. Inft.: Scout in
Apache Wars: Post trader at Camp
Verde: Pioneer farmer in Verde
Valley: and of his wife, the
beloved ”Aunty Arnold” of
all the Verde. — — Map (db m100022) HM
Don Guillermo Castro, founder of the city, preserved the plaza for the enjoyment of the citizens, and in 1856 conveyed to them ownership of the land forever. This library, originally constructed on the plaza in 1951, and enlarged in 1958, was . . . — — Map (db m28774) HM
This railroad station having been located about half a mile west of the old town of Laddsville, on land owned by Wm. M. Mendenhall. Established the location of the town Livermore. The first depot was a freight car that was soon replaced by a . . . — — Map (db m19993) HM
Built 1875, this building was first a hotel then the Livermore Valley Bank. It was the Livermore Town Hall from 1905 to 1957. The jail was in the rear, and to the left the firehouse. It was here a light bulb was lit and . . . — — Map (db m19982) HM
Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship.
With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of rongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four . . . — — Map (db m19968) HM
This building was originally constructed as the Niles Branch of the Bank of Alameda County. Its doors opened on Monday, September 23, 1929. The construction was considered a “new modern building” that would be “a model of . . . — — Map (db m24455) HM
Built in 1854, the Alviso Adobe is one of the few adobe structures remaining in the Bay Area. Declared a California Historic Landmark in 1954, the building stands relatively unmodified since the 1920s.
The adobe was in continuous use from 1854 . . . — — Map (db m24616) HM
This house was built by William Toler for his father-in-law Ygnacio Peralta. It may be the first brick house in Alameda County. Peralta and his brothers established the first Spanish/Mexican settlements in the northern East Bay on the land grant . . . — — Map (db m26471) HM
First brick house built in Alameda County. Constructed 1860 by W. R. Toler for Ignacio Peralta, early San Leandro Spanish settler, whose father, Don Luis Maria Peralta, received land grant from Spanish Governor Don Pablo Vicente de Sola, October 20, . . . — — Map (db m100550) HM
West side of marker:
San Leandro’s first industries served the needs of farmers. In 1886, Daniel Best bought San Leandro Plow and formed Daniel Best Agriculture Works to manufacture tractors, combines, and harvesters. Best’s son . . . — — Map (db m26437) HM
Civil Engineering Landmark
Alameda Creek Water System
San Francisco Section A802 1975
Restoration of the Sunol Water Temple
Started May 27, 1997 . . . — — Map (db m24499) HM
Named after Major John Ebbett and pointed out in 1853 to surveyor G.H. Goodard who referred to it as a “route of great promise – probably the best one for a transcontinental railway.”
No emigrant train used this route but a . . . — — Map (db m11444) HM
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — — Map (db m13966) HM
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was erected in 1894. It is the first Serbian Orthodox church built in the U.S. Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, first Priest in this parish. Born in S.F. & reared in nearby Plymouth. Inspired his people in the early 1890’s & . . . — — Map (db m11514) HM
Mormon-Carson Pass Emigrant Trail, the heavily-travelled gateway to California gold fields, was blazed in 1848 by discharged members of the Mormon battalion traveling east to join their families.
Five hundred Mormon volunteers, recruited in . . . — — Map (db m10824) HM
Was begun here in the early 1850’s as the Badger and later the Summit Mine. It consolidated with Hayward’s old Eureka Mine in 1924 as the Central Eureka Company, Amador Consolidated Mines. The main shaft reached a depth of 4,965’. It was the last of . . . — — Map (db m13084) HM
Knight Foundry was established in 1873 to supply heavy equipment and repair facilities to the gold mines and timber industry of the Mother Lode. Samuel N. Knight developed a high speed, cast iron water wheel which was a forerunner of the Pelton . . . — — Map (db m100590) HM
Knight Foundry Scarifier, Patent No. US 1665277 A, was developed in 1926 and patented in 1928 by Daniel (Dan) V. Ramazzotti, owner of Knight Foundry, as an improved mechanical ripper for removing uneven surfaces and ruts from roads. With the advent . . . — — Map (db m106423) HM
The jail was built in 1908 to replace the original jail that was destroyed by a fire started when an unidentified inmate set his mattress on fire and burned to death. Sutter Creek and Amador County shared the cost of the new cement jail built by the . . . — — Map (db m57980) HM
In 1861 under leadership of Rev. I.B. Fish this church was built . Trustees incorporated the church as the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1862. Between 1863 and 1867 the Ladies Aid Society gave $1,300 for the back room addition. The steeple was added . . . — — Map (db m13684) HM
On the 8th day of May
In the year 2006
Oroville Lodge No. 103 F.&A.M.
In the State of California
Did celebrate 150 years
In Oroville, California
Dispensation: April 4, 1856
Chartered: May 8, . . . — — Map (db m17781) HM
The rail yard housed the depot, a water tank, a stockyard, as well as a siding and spur. A motorcar house was located further up the track. The depot was retired on January 19, 1960.
The coming of the railroad was the major event that sparked . . . — — Map (db m29674) HM
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the second floor, it is still used for living and warehouse purposes. — — Map (db m11047) HM
Built in the early 1850’s, year not documented, by Frank Egan, as the Central Park Hotel. Then, it included a brothel upstairs. The hotel was sold to Mrs. Mitrovich and renamed The Waverly Hotel. Blagoje “Billy” Ratkovich bought the . . . — — Map (db m40811) HM
Hotel and stagecoach relay station, halfway between Murphys and Big Trees. Settled in the 1850’s by Joseph and Sarah Goodell. Purchased by Peter Avery, then operated by three generations of Averys - Peter and Nancy, George and Henrietta and Morton . . . — — Map (db m10615) HM
[Displayed at the Copperopolis Elementary School are a bell and a cannon along with their accompanying markers:]
This bell cast in 1860, the first school in Copperopolis in 1862. The bell yoke shows repair, break . . . — — Map (db m19793) HM
In the 1860’s Copperopolis had a population of 10,000 and was the principal mine in the west. The mine closed in 1945.
This building has housed a saloon since it was built in 1862. Twice it survived raging fires which destroyed the town.
The bar . . . — — Map (db m19770) HM
Member of Fremont’s Battalion during Mexican War. Established Indian trading posts throughout Central San Joaquin Valley. Leader of the first expedition of the Mariposa Battalion into Yosemite Valley, 1851
Dr. Lewis Leach described Savage as . . . — — Map (db m34057) HM
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1859, 1874, and 1893. It served as a general store, a Wells Fargo office, and later a garage. — — Map (db m2611) HM
Built in 1858 by Pierre Bonet with fire proof steel shutters and stone walls. Owned and operated by Victorene Compere to provision the miners. Restored and preserved as a private residence in 1939.
Historic American Building Survey No. 1108 . . . — — Map (db m32872) HM
Built soon after 1856 by John Thompson operator of Lime Kiln on Posky Hill and stone mason, who built adjoining Traver Building, and many other stone buildings.
Occupied, circa 58, by Meyer & Friedlander, General Merchandise. Later Fred Sackett . . . — — Map (db m13027) HM
For more than 80 years, the area was known as Onion Valley due to the profusion of wild onions growing here. It was mainly used as a summer stock range. In the late 1860-70’s a sawmill was operated by C. Brown. Later a man called . . . — — Map (db m40974) HM
This was the first American home in Crockett. Constructed in 1867 by Thomas Edwards, Sr., on land purchased in 1866 from Judge J.B. Crockett. Located on an earlier Indian village near the Carquinez Straits, its timbers, some of which were brought . . . — — Map (db m12153) HM
Vicente Martínez was born in Santa Barbara on August 18, 1818, the second son of Don Ygnacio and Martina de Arellano Martínez who were married in the Presidio Chapel at Santa Barbara 1802. Don Ygnacio Martínez was a Spanish officer at San Diego and . . . — — Map (db m50827) HM
Built in 1923, this brick building was the home of the Coast Counties Gas and Electric Company which provided utilities to the City of Pittsburgh. The company closed its office in the 1950s and the building became a newspaper publishing and . . . — — Map (db m37423) HM
In the 1850’s and 1860’s Coloma had two breweries – the El Dorado and the Coloma – between Brewery Street and the river. An 1853 advertisement in Coloma’s newspaper stated: “Mr. Joseph Wellman would respectfully inform traders, . . . — — Map (db m12324) HM
This building, perhaps originally a livery stable, was the armory for the Coloma Greys, a local volunteer militia company. After the Greys disbanded in 1862, the building was used as a carriage house by Elias Weller, who lived in the large white . . . — — Map (db m17222) HM
In the 1850s, the law offices of Thomas Robertson and the firm of Sanderson and Hews were at this site. The town alcalde also had his office here. Borrowed from Mexican government, the position of alcalde combined the roles of mayor, justice of the . . . — — Map (db m17572) HM
Thousands of people emigrated to California with the dream of riches for themselves and have found their final rest in these hallowed grounds.
The exact date that the cemetery was founded is unknown. The earliest known graves date from 1849. In . . . — — Map (db m12282) HM
Coloma’s first jail was made of logs and was located around the corner on High Street. The second jail, built in 1855, quickly proved to be too small, and this stone-block prison was erected. It was used from 1857 until 1862. The metal cell that . . . — — Map (db m12228) HM
James Marshall arrived in the “Collumah”, valley home of the Nisenan, on May 8, 1847 to map the site for a sawmill he was to build in partnership with John Sutter. On August 18, Marshall returned with a crew, mostly Mormons, to build the . . . — — Map (db m39013) HM
The Winters’ Hotel was the most ornate building in town. It was one of the earliest hotels here and the best known. A forty-niner later described it as “the hotel par excellence of the town; one could easily perceive that by its long white . . . — — Map (db m17221) HM
Hiram Lodge No.43: Free and Accepted Masons, was chartered in the town of Mud Springs, as it was ten called, May 16, 1854. The Lodge met in rented buildings until the completion of this brick edifice in 1862.
On September 17, 1923 a fire . . . — — Map (db m12396) HM
This was the site of Webster's Sugar Loaf House, well-known stopping place during the Comstock rush. Beginning in April 1860, it was used as a remount station of the Central Overland Pony Express. In 1861 it became a horse change station for pioneer . . . — — Map (db m14177) HM
On Thursday, June 30, 1864 at about 10 PM two west-bound stage coaches of the Pioneer Stage Company were held up and the passengers robbed at gun-point at a location approximately 15 miles east of Placerville.
The bandits demanded and obtained . . . — — Map (db m13150) HM
Dedicated to the memory of all those veterans,
down through the years, who fought so valiantly
for their country.. Those who returned..
and those that did not.
From one who did not return from “Desert Storm”
Sgt. J. Scott . . . — — Map (db m35524) WM
The Pony Express originated in 1860, when our nation was divided and civil war threatened. Communication between California and Washington DC took months. Although the Pony Express existed little more than 18 months, it played a major role in the . . . — — Map (db m94642) HM
A Sacred Gathering Place
Many generations of Washoe people spent summers here, living near the shores of Lake Tahoe. Known as >i>da ow a ga by the Washoe, the lake provided a sacred meeting place, where summer gatherings were a focus of . . . — — Map (db m35355) HM
Tahoe’s Only Island
Over the last 100 years, Tahoe’s only island has been known by a number of names. In 1866, a group of young vacationers dreamed up the first name, Coquette, a word referring to a flirtatious or seductive woman. Attracted . . . — — Map (db m35090) HM
This home, also known as the “Pink Lady,” is a classic Queen Anne/Eastlake Victorian residence designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Newsom Brothers of San Francisco. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer . . . — — Map (db m1498) HM
The Beale Memorial Clock Tower was a gift to the City of Bakersfield from Truxtun Beale in memory of his mother, Mary Edwards Beale.
Dedicated on April 2, 1904, the clock tower originally stood in the center of the intersection at Chester . . . — — Map (db m25001) HM
This area was originally a portion of the Jewett Brothers’ Ranches. In 1859 Solomon and Philo Jewett walked 2000 miles to present day Kern County. They built the first store in Bakersfield in 1865 and the same year raised the first commercial cotton . . . — — Map (db m24989) HM
Large scale farming and ranching was needed to supply the restaurants and grocery stores in fast-growing cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles in the late 1800s.
Henry Miller and Charles Lux purchased large areas of land throughout . . . — — Map (db m25309) HM
This standard end pumping unit was salvaged and erected by the Production Department, Chevron U.S.A., Inc., La Habra to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Standard Oil Company of California
The unit is composed of original parts from the San . . . — — Map (db m26118) HM
The Sebastian or Tejon Indian Reservation (headquarters 10 miles east of here) was established in 1853 by Gen. Edward Fitzgerald Beale as one of several California Reservations. The number of Indians quartered here varied from 500 to 2000. General . . . — — Map (db m20161) HM
In 1839, the Mexican Government granted to
Antonio del Valle some 48,000 acres of
The Santa Clarita Valley known as the Del Valle Rancho.
On March 9, 1842, Francisco Lopez y Arbello, the brother-in-law of Antonio del Valle, visited the . . . — — Map (db m20112) HM
The Gate House, the Boyd's guest house, was completed in 1880 by Ira B. Cook, the great grandfather of Miss Louise A. Boyd. With the adjoining park, it was donated to the City of San Rafael in 1905 and has been Marin County Historical Society's . . . — — Map (db m64886) HM
Erected and acquired in 1874 by the Tomales Temperance Social Club, this is one of the oldest continuously used public halls in California. Renovated after the 1906 Earthquake, maintained by town hall trustees and local volunteers, it has served as . . . — — Map (db m88400) HM
This cemetery is dedicated to the memory of all the patriotic men and women who answered their country’s call to service. Their inspiring contribution will help preserve in the hearts and lives of all Americans the spirit of patriotism, the love of . . . — — Map (db m38731) HM
This spot marks the convergence of two pioneer trails widely used by emigrants during the years 1846-1850. The Applegate Trail, established in 1846, led from the Humbolt River in Nevada to the Willamette Valley in Oregon. The Lassen Cut-Off, . . . — — Map (db m10174) HM
Tule Lake was one of ten American concentration camps established during World War II to incarcerate 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry, of whom the majority were American citizens. Behind barbed wire and guard towers without charge, trial or . . . — — Map (db m10370) HM
Built in 1880, this historic building was used until October, 1964. Plans for a new school building called for the destruction of this one. It was saved by the Mono County Historical Society, the citizens of Bridgeport and Mono County. Through the . . . — — Map (db m10324) HM
State Historical Landmark No. 684
California Registered Historical Landmark statement of significance:
Sam Brannan arrived in Napa Valley in the late 1850s and purchased a square mile of land at the foot of Mount St. Helena. This is . . . — — Map (db m18557) HM
Founded in 1862 by Jacob Schram. This was the first hillside winery of the Napa Valley. Robert Louis Stevenson, visiting here in 1880, devoted a chapter of his “Silverado Squatters” to Schramsberg and its wines. Ambrose Bierce and Lilly . . . — — Map (db m52168) HM
Designed by pioneer architects R.H. Daly and Theodore Eisen, this church is an outstanding example of late Victorian Gothic architectural styling. It is the best surviving example in this region of early works associated with Eisen, who later became . . . — — Map (db m18781) HM
Built by Frederick and Jacob Beringer, natives of Mainz, Germany. This winery has the unique distinction of never having ceased operations since its founding in 1876. Here, in the European tradition, were dug underground wine tunnels hundreds of . . . — — Map (db m18734) HM
Charles Krug, a Prussian immigrant with controversial political beliefs for which he was briefly jailed, finally arrived in San Francisco in 1852. He likely came with no grape-growing or winemaking experience, but his insight, thirst, and inherent . . . — — Map (db m54535) HM
Operated by pioneer druggist William Loutzenheiser (1824-1805) and son, John G. (1861-1929.) The pharmacy began here in a wooden building in 1851. The structure gave way to the present brick edifice in the fall of 1855.
William was a member of . . . — — Map (db m48360) HM
Lyman Gilmore, Jr. established the first commercial airport on this site in 1907. To him and his memory the people of this community dedicate this school as the:
Lyman Gilmore School
Grass Valley School District
Board of Trustees
Brian A. . . . — — Map (db m13289) HM
The North Star Powerhouse, built by A.D. Foote in 1895, was the first complete water powered compressed air transmission plant of its kind. Compressed air, generated by Pelton Water Wheels, furnished power for the entire mine operation. The 30 foot . . . — — Map (db m44348) HM
This building is known as “The Brick Store of Silvester and Salaman”, it was built in 1854 and completed it 1855 by Henry Silvester and Abraham Salaman. It is both the first and oldest original brick (and stone) building in Grass Valley . . . — — Map (db m48373) HM
The Pelton Water Wheel, first commercially manufactured here at George Allan’s Foundry & Machine Works in 1879, was a major advancement in water power utilization and greatly advanced hard-rock mining. Its unique feature was a series of paired . . . — — Map (db m12796) HM
Built in 1856 on the site of the U.S. Hotel, this brick edifice has served Nevada City as the Council Chamber, Schreiber’s and since 1957 Eddie Furano’s Bank Club. Here at Schreiber’s Felix, the marvelous mysterious music box thundered Strauss . . . — — Map (db m40273) HM
A hero of the Sierra Nevada Mountains!
Probably the first skier of the West. This Viking son of Norway, exemplified the
spirit of a true pioneer. Strong, daring, faithful and courageous he was the answer to California’s motto
“Bring Me . . . — — Map (db m60514) HM
The Stephens – Townsend – Murphy Party, with guidance from old Caleb Greenwood and Chief Truckee, brought their wagons up the Truckee River bed and on Nov. 25, 1844 191 days out of Council Bluffs, Iowa passed this point and crossed the . . . — — Map (db m60305) HM
On this site Joseph Delos Pollard constructed the first resort on the west end of Donner Lake. Between mid 1864 and early 1868 Pollard’s Station on the Dutch Flat and Donner Lake Wagon Road was office to the Pioneer Stage Co. and Wells, Fargo & Co. . . . — — Map (db m60506) HM
The Masonic and Odd Fellows Lodges each established cemeteries here in 1869 or 1870 to provide a burial place for their deceased. Catholics established a cemetery to the Southwest. Pioneers and prominent citizens within the original fenced cemetery . . . — — Map (db m60331) HM
First known as Gray’s Toll Station, then Coburn’s Station, Truckee was established in 1863. Renowned for its lumber industry, Transcontinental Railroad, icehouses, saloons and red light district, Truckee has never been known for her laid back . . . — — Map (db m23520) HM
While construction on Sierra tunnels delayed Central Pacific, advance forces at Truckee began building forty miles of track east and west of Truckee moving all supplies by wagon and sled. Summit Tunnel was opened in December, 1867. The line reached . . . — — Map (db m23560) HM
[Located on Front of Monument:]
California’s Sons and Daughters
Who Served Their Country
In the World War 1917 -1918
And to the Memory of
Those Who Gave the
“Last Full Measure of Devotion” . . . — — Map (db m23519) HM
View of Cape Horn Promontory
North Fork American River Canyon
Dedicated to the memory of thousands of Chinese who worked for Charles Crocker on the Central Pacific Railroad . They were lowered over the face of Cape Horn Promontory in . . . — — Map (db m14437) HM
Schuyler Colfax, Speaker of the House of Representatives, was asked by President Abraham Lincoln on April 14 to take a message to the miners of the west, that their prosperity is the prosperity of the Nation. These may have been Lincoln’s last words . . . — — Map (db m10976) HM
Between 1849 and 1854, Pioneer Express riders rode this gold rush trail to the many populous mining camps on the American River bars now covered by Folsom Lake. - Beals, Condemned, Dotons, Long, Horseshoe, Rattlesnake, and Oregon - on the route to . . . — — Map (db m10202) HM
In memory of those
who made the supreme sacrifice
in World War II
Lawrence Berry • Carl Bohnisch • Etollo Carnesecca • Rene Clark • Bowman Carmichael
Stephen Davison • Michael Dougherty . . . — — Map (db m40911) HM
James Oscar Loomis
1830 – 1895
This community was founded in 1850 and originally named “The Grove” by gold miners who settled along Secret Ravine one mile east of here.
Forming . . . — — Map (db m91090) HM
Central Pacific reached Rocklin, 22 miles from its Sacramento Terminus, in May, 1864, when the railroad established a major locomotive terminal here. Trains moving over the Sierra were generally cut in two sections at this point, in order to ascend . . . — — Map (db m11088) HM
1908 - Building built by A.B. Broyer and operated as a furniture store.
1014 - Purchased by M.B. Johnson and operated as a hardware store.
1936 - Purchased by Ulisse Gemignani and Louie Milani, opened as the Onyx Saloon . . . — — Map (db m37164) HM
In April 1909, the newly incorporated City of Roseville leased the upper level of the historic two story J.D. Pratt, later William Sawtell, store building at the corner of Pacific and Lincoln Streets for use as the town’s first City Hall.
Rent . . . — — Map (db m37174) HM
In the early 1900s a decision by Southern Pacific Railroad to relocate the regional operations to this area helped turn a small town once known as Junction into the City of Roseville. Locomotive 2252 is a symbol of this history and of the social and . . . — — Map (db m37150) HM
[First Marker – Located on the left:]
The North Lake Tahoe Historical Society (NLTHS) operates and maintains the Gatekeeper’s Museum, The Marion Steinback Indian Basket Museum, the Watson Cabin Living Museum (located above Commons . . . — — Map (db m34922) HM
This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common, undeniable goal – to valiantly protect our country’s freedom.
The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on whenever . . . — — Map (db m57280) HM
Folsom Dam and Reservoir are a component of the Central Valley Project, owned and operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, Mid-Pacific Region, Central California Area Office
Construction of Folsom Dam by the Corps began in . . . — — Map (db m17644) HM
“Education Doth Not A Scholar Make”
Near here was the first and only college ever in Folsom. It lasted two years (1958-60). Then is closed for a lack of students. Folks probably figured they were smart enough (?).
It was . . . — — Map (db m22984) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
WILLIAM ALEXANDER LEIDESDORFF
Early California pioneer, civic
leader, merchant, trader, and
owner of 35,000 acre rancho
“Rio de los Americanos” in the
Born 1810 in Danish West . . . — — Map (db m15617) HM
This sacred ground is one of three revered cemeteries * Young Wo, Sam Yup-Sze Yup, and Hakka * that served the Chinese community once located just north of here. One cemetery vanished during gold dredging activites; Only the Young Wo and Sam Yup-Sze . . . — — Map (db m16243) HM
Sailing ships since the “Gold Rush” laden with supplies and sitting deep in the water just above the river bottom have inched their way slowly up the Sacramento River to Sacramento. After unloading, the ships would risk rolling over . . . — — Map (db m16474) HM
Departing at 2:45 A.M. from the Alta Telegraph Co. in Sacramento, Pony Rider Sam (Bill) Hamilton carried the first mail eastward of the Central Overland Pony Express on April 4, 1860. Here quickly changing ponies he sped on to the next stop at . . . — — Map (db m19583) HM
This plaque is dedicated to Frank C. Freer by the City of Sacramento in recognition
of his commitment of over 50 years to improving the game of golf in Sacramento, California.
• Member-Sacramento Golf Club at Haggin Oaks
• Member-Sacramento . . . — — Map (db m14907) HM
Dedicated To You, A Free Citizen In A Free Land
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of
by direction of
The Honorable John W. Snyder
Secretary of Treasury
As the . . . — — Map (db m14837) HM
Some 350 tons of Rocky Mountain Red Granite form the sarchophas that entombs the remains this Forty-Niner who ultimately became one of the “Big Four” in railroad history and Treasurer of the Central Pacific Railroad Company. This . . . — — Map (db m10772) HM
In recognition of Michael “Mac” McDonagh for his 32 years of service as Superintendent of Golf for the City of Sacramento from 1932 – 1964. Mac McDonagh went to England in 1923 to become an apprentice in golf course construction . . . — — Map (db m14939) HM
Established as a living memorial to the early builders of California in recognition of their courage, determination & contribution toward progress in the community & our golden state. — — Map (db m14822) HM
The Mutual Hook and Ladder Company, formed on February 5, 1850, was the first fire company in the State of California. It served with distinction until disbanded October 30, 1859.
On June 23, 1858, a grateful city donated this plot of ground . . . — — Map (db m12462) HM
During the Gold Rush Days of 1857, the Sisters of Mercy came to Sacramento to care for the children of the miners and to serve the sick and the homeless.
In those early days, the Sisters purchased land in the heart of the city to build a school. . . . — — Map (db m14839) HM
Site of a two story brick building built for Robert H. Vance of San Francisco in 1853. One of five brick structures erected that year, it was first occupied as a store. Almost coincident with the founding of Camp Union in 1861, it was taken over by . . . — — Map (db m58583) HM
“The Docks” has had a remarkably varied occupational history. Gold Rush immigrants camped along the riverbank. In the following years, a limited number of individuals and families lived in the area in private residences and lodging . . . — — Map (db m16511) HM
In 1911, the Northern Electric Railway Company, along with Sacramento and Yolo counties, built the Northern Electric Bridge. The bridge carried a single railroad track with twin motor-vehicle roadways. Pedestrian walks cantilevered from the central . . . — — Map (db m16492) HM
Founded June 24, 1797 by Father Laseun
15th of the 21 Missions largest and only church with 3 aisles. Dedicated in 1812
Monastery wing consisted of 36 rooms
This Mission has never been abandoned. It is now the parish church of San Juan . . . — — Map (db m82242) HM
Founded June 12, 1798 by Father Lasuen, then president of the California missions, and administered by Father Peyri. Notable for its impressive architecture — a composite of Spanish, Moorish, and Mexican. — — Map (db m401) HM
Don Jose Antonio Aguirre built his adobe mansion on this site on or just prior to 1868. Because the Casa de Aguirre was one of the first houses in Old Town, the Aguirre – Antonio, his wife Rosaria and their many children – are considered . . . — — Map (db m11648) HM
First public schoolhouse in this county. Erected at this site in 1865 and known as “Mason Street School – District No.1” when San Diego County covered an area larger than three New England states. Restored by popular subscription . . . — — Map (db m11587) HM
[Marker located on Front of Base:]
Mormon women were anxious to reach the glorious West and any means offered seemed an answer to prayer to help them on their way. When it was learned four laundresses would be allowed each of the five . . . — — Map (db m82280) HM
The Presidio’s Ordoñez gun was originally mounted in a Spanish coastal fort at Subic Bay in the Philippines. Undamaged during the Spanish American War, the gun was captured by Filipino nationalists, who were known as “Insurrectos” by the . . . — — Map (db m12619) HM
Here, within the confines of San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, enclosed by barbed wire and housed in temporary barracks, 4,217 San Joaquin County residents of Japanese ancestry, predominately American citizens, were interned from May 10 to October 17, . . . — — Map (db m15958) HM
This classical Revival Style building was the first “skyscraper” in Stockton. It was designed by San Francisco Architects Myers & Ward. California’s oldest men’s club, The Yosemite, founded 1888, has always occupied the top floors. The . . . — — Map (db m23983) HM
Sister city affiliations between the United States and other nations began shortly after World War II, and developed into a national initiative when President Dwight D. Eisenhower proposed the “people-to-people” program at a White House . . . — — Map (db m24224) HM
Hope on the Horizon
What would make a family leave their home for an unfamiliar land on a distant frontier? For the nearly 300 men, women, and children on the Anza Expedition, it was the chance for a fresh start. In 1775, life in northern . . . — — Map (db m38537) HM
The Templeton Carriage Works Building was originally built
in 1898 as a photography studio and residence for A.W. Petterson, an early Templeton photographer who recorded much of the local early days.
In 1905 it was moved from its original . . . — — Map (db m38603) HM
This type of railroad signal was introduced, circa 1898, to control the movement of trains and to prevent accidents. The blade moved up or down corresponding with green, yellow or red lights.
Transportation . . . — — Map (db m18389) HM
Near this location on Aug.17, 1905, a masked desperado described as "nine feet high and armed with a small canon" stopped the Half Moon Bay Stagecoach. He angrily demanded driver Ed Campbell to throw down the Wells Fargo Co.'s treasure box, Levy . . . — — Map (db m34820) HM
This structure, built by Felix Buelna in the 1850s, served as a gambling retreat and meeting place for Mexican-Californios. It was strategically located on the earliest trail used both by rancheros and American settlers crossing the peninsula to the . . . — — Map (db m11992) HM
About three hundred feet south of this monument on the banks of Alambique Creek, stood San Mateo County's first saw mill. Built by Charles Brown in 1847. About the same time Dennis Martin was building a second mill on San Francisquito Creek. Both . . . — — Map (db m18478) HM
Has been designated a
NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK
This religious complex possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America.
Mission Santa Ines, founded in 1804, is one of the finest examples of a . . . — — Map (db m11673) HM
Water in Alviso is a complex issue that touches on the environment, economics, and life safety. Already susceptible to flooding, Alviso’s situation was worsened by regional development. Hard paving, which prevented water absorption into the ground, . . . — — Map (db m24414) HM
The Agricultural Heritage Plaques located throughout Historic Downtown Campbell were installed in 1992 as part of the Downtown Streetscape Project. The fruits and blossoms commemorating Campbell’s agricultural heritage were selected as most . . . — — Map (db m24742) HM
John Gilroy arrived in Monterey in 1814 on one of the North-West Co.
trading ships; "ISAAC TODD," which he deserted. He then fled to the Santa Clara Valley, marrying Maria Clara Ortega and settling on Rancho San Ysidro. His rightful name was John . . . — — Map (db m18517) HM
This is all that remains of the four-story stone flour mill built in 1854 by James Alexander Forbes. The town that grew around this building was first called Forbes Mill, then Forbestown, and finally Los Gatos. — — Map (db m3295) HM
When completed in 1881, the 237-foot electric light tower that once spanned the intersection of Market and Santa Clara Streets was the largest single source of electric light in the country. The brainchild of J.J. Owen, founder of the San Jose . . . — — Map (db m31114) HM
The San José Labor Temple, located at 72 North Second Street, was a hub of the city’s turn of the century labor movement. It was established informally between 1901 and 1903 by Harry Ryan, an early San José labor leader, and Jack London, the famous . . . — — Map (db m30444) HM
For generations the Ohlone Indians followed the path along the Alamitos Creek to find cinnabar in a cave in the nearby hills. They traded the mineral, used it in religious ceremonies and decorated their bodies. Elsewhere in the world, quicksilver, . . . — — Map (db m41479) HM
St. James Park and its environs were the heart of nineteenth century San Jose. While the Plaza has been the center of the older Hispanic settlement, St. James Park and its surrounding buildings reflect the aspirations of an emerging American city. . . . — — Map (db m52561) HM
The Santa Clara Depot, built in 1864, was an original waystation on the San Francisco & San Jose Railroad Line. Originally built on the east side of the tracks, the depot was moved in 1877 to its present location so it would be on the same side of . . . — — Map (db m24288) HM
Martin Murphy, Jr. arrived in California with his family in 1844 in the first wagon train to cross the Sierra Nevada. The founder of Sunnyvale, he constructed here his house of pre-fabricated lumber brought around the Horn in 1849. Members of the . . . — — Map (db m30171) HM
This building was erected in early 1862 as a church and public meeting place. It was built from flume lumber floated down the river from Snake Bar. In the latter half of 1862 it was turned into a temple of learning. Mrs. Delany was the first teacher . . . — — Map (db m60314) HM
From this command post, the U.S. Army directed part of a frustrating campaign against a small band of Modoc Indians. Determined to defend their homeland, the Modoc consistently outmaneuvered the Army, who at times outnumbered them ten to one. Just . . . — — Map (db m63668) HM
These finely crafted sandstone buildings were originally constructed for use as warehouses. They gained their name and fame, however, during a brief period in 1863-64 when they were used to stable a herd of camels imported by the U.S. Army for . . . — — Map (db m32204) HM
The first Masonic hall built in California was begun in the summer of 1850, occupied by the lodge October 14, 1850, and formally dedicated December 27, 1850. This building served as the Masonic Temple for Benicia Lodge No. 5 until 1888, when the new . . . — — Map (db m16317) HM
Erected by pioneers of Methodist Episcopal Church South with volunteer labor and donated funds. Cornerstone laid October 3, 1856. Dedicated February 1857. Site supplied by Landy and Sandy Alford. Chapel deteriorated by 1929 and deeded by the church . . . — — Map (db m16294) HM
In recognition for his continuous dedication to the preservation of western history through his world – renowned artistic endeavors: for expressing his love of the Order through the sculptured likeness of the men who have labored to preserve . . . — — Map (db m54590) HM
This structure served the important hop industry of California’s North Coast Region, once the major hop-growing area in the west. Built in 1905 by a crew of Italian stonemasons, it represents the finest existing example of its type, consisting of . . . — — Map (db m10352) HM
This building is dedicated to Celso Viviani,
an Italian immigrant who came to Sonoma, California in 1910
Celso began making cheese in 1921 and started his cheese making business in 1931. He constructed this building in 1944 and opened the cheese . . . — — Map (db m15293) HM
The original saloon on this site burned on January 13, 1897 as a result of a fire in the adjacent Coulter Hotel. The saloon owner Louis Levaggi, erected the present building the same year for 13,000. It was known as the “Metropolitan”. . . . — — Map (db m42575) HM
This is one of the oldest continuously occupied buildings in LaGrange. In 1857, Lodge #65 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of California was formed.
The Odd Fellows purchased the two story jail from the County in 1862 and it was used for . . . — — Map (db m94798) HM
Formerly at the foot of Main Street. Replaced one built in 1858, which burned in June, 1900. A few Clampers may have slept here, but Clampers helped restore this building in 1976. — — Map (db m42596) HM
Originally located 3/8 mile downstream, this ferry was first established by Dr. B. D. Horr about 1850. Later owned by Dickenson and by Osborn, it was purchased by John W. Roberts in 1862 and moved to this location in 1865. The ferry was the . . . — — Map (db m42598) HM
James Divoll and Joseph Bray, owners of the Bonanza mine constructed the Star Flouring Mills on this site in 1879. In August 1885 the mill burned, leaving the stone and brick walls. From the ruins they built the Opera Hall. The Hall was only active . . . — — Map (db m31926) HM
In 1857, William Sugg, a freed slave, built this three-room brick-faced adobe house. The adobe blocks were made in the front yard. The walls are up to 18 inches thick. A wood frame kitchen was at the rear. As Sugg’s family eventually grew to 11 . . . — — Map (db m31861) HM
Constructed April 1981 – August 1982
Dedicated to the Citizens of
The Board of Supervisors
Clyde D. May – Chairman
Mildred Filiberti • Sidney H. Hatler • Steven C. Szalay • Billy H. Marr • William C. Davidson . . . — — Map (db m32012) HM
This is the historic site of the first salmon cannery established on the Pacific Coast. Begun in 1864 by William and George Hume and Andrew Hapgood on a barge moored to the bank, the cannery processed salmon harvested along the rivers – with . . . — — Map (db m15724) HM
SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR 1898
The Spanish-American War was a turning point in American history. It marked the first time that we sent troops overseas to defend freedom. Whether at San Juan Hill or Manila Bay, these founders of . . . — — Map (db m15707) WM
Byron Jackson (1841-1921) was an inventor and manufacturer of farm equipment and pumps. His name endures on pumps used in agriculture, petroleum, mining, power generations and water supply. Born in Ohio, Jackson moved to Woodland with his parents in . . . — — Map (db m24291) HM
Dedicated March 21, 1880, this building replaced the first temple built nearby in the early 1850s. It has been a Chinese community project since 1866, serving as a meeting hall, court, school, and place of worship. In this 'Palace of Many Saints,' . . . — — Map (db m11758) HM
The Chilean Community of Northern California and the Consulate General of Chile in San Francisco present this plaque in honor of
José Manuel Ramírez Rosales
A Chilean 49er, pioneer, artist, visionary and co-founder of the City of . . . — — Map (db m55758) HM
Francis Asbury, Father of American Methodism, founded a Methodist Society in Annapolis in 1777. They built a meeting house in 1785 within the present grounds of the Naval Academy. In 1789, the “Old Blue Church” moved to this site and . . . — — Map (db m2909) HM
Birthplace of Charles Carroll of Carrollton (September 19, 1737 – November 14, 1832), the only Roman Catholic to sign the Declaration of Independence and the last of the signers to die.
Charles Carroll of Annapolis (1702 – 1782), . . . — — Map (db m55298) HM
Unveiled June 10, 1989
Artist: Buckeye Blake
It was the winter of 1843-44 when Kit Carson along with the John C. Fremont expedition worked his way south from Pyramid Lake looking for an easy route across the Sierra Nevada. Carson, depicted . . . — — Map (db m20897) HM
In 1861, a blacksmith shop, a store, a boarding house, and two saloons comprised the village of Sheridan. The village had grown up around Moses Job’s General Store, established prior to 1855.
The Surveyor General, in his 1889-90 biennial . . . — — Map (db m21309) HM
Born April 30, 1827 at Upper Tinns, Telemark District of Norway, John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson’s parents Tosten Olsen and Gro Johnsdotter baptized him as John Tostensen. At an early age he learned to “snow skate” (snow ski). In . . . — — Map (db m20712) HM
In 1863, Al Livingston built this building and called it Livingston’s Exchange. In 1884, Frank Fettic bought it and renamed it Fettic’s Exchange. He operated it as a “Gentlemen’s Saloon” allowing no rough stuff or excessive drinking. It . . . — — Map (db m20661) HM
The principle emigrant trail to California’s gold fields in the 1850’s passed about 50 yards east of here. In June, 1850, Hampton S. Beatie and Abner Blackburn, two Mormons from Salt Lake City, established Nevada’s first trading post a few yards . . . — — Map (db m21218) HM
These plaques are near the site
of the original Pony Express Station.
The Pony Express passed through
Genoa, the oldest city in Nevada, until
the completion of the telegraph.
Erected by the Nevada Pony
Express Centennial Committee. . . . — — Map (db m20711) HM
The remains of Cradlebaugh Bridge, built in 1861 by William Cradlebaugh, stand ¼ mile westward. This bridge shortened the distance from Carson City to Aurora in the then booming Esmeralda Mining District.
There were two routes from Carson . . . — — Map (db m40100) HM
Founded by William “Billy” Chollar (pronounced collar) in 1859, the original Chollar claim was 1,400 feet in length and 400 feet in width. In 1861, the nearby Potosi mine discovered an ore body that dipped into Chollar and . . . — — Map (db m22054) HM
Early pioneer of both the telegraph and telephone. He was builder of the first telegraph lines across the Sierra’s from Placerville to Genoa then on to Virginia City. He also had the distinction of telegraphing Nevada’s Constitution to President . . . — — Map (db m22342) HM
This building, the most magnificent vintage theater in the West, was erected by John Piper in 1885. Third in a succession of theatres, which he operated on the Comstock, Piper’s Opera House, with its original scenery, raked stage, and elegant . . . — — Map (db m37242) HM
Three International Hotels stood on this lot:
The first hotel, a 14 room wood structure, was built in 1860 and dismantled in 1863.
The second, a 100 room, 4 story brick building, was destroyed by the “Great Fire” of October . . . — — Map (db m22066) HM
Walk in Their Shoes
On November 28, 1876, the excited residents of Virginia City christened their new monuments to education, the Fourth Ward School. The town was divided into “wards” for political and fire purposes. Built to . . . — — Map (db m21883) HM
In Sept. 1864, while Atlanta smoldered, the first use of military force to allay labor unrest in the West occurred when Governor J. W. Nye ordered 2 companies of Calvary from Fort Churchill to end a strike by The Story County Miner’s League. The . . . — — Map (db m21957) HM
Built in 1862-63, this building was first the office of the private bankers Paxton and Thornburgh. After their move to Reese River in 1864-65, it was used sporadically until the Nevada Bank of San Francisco opened January 10, 1876.
Owned by . . . — — Map (db m22551) HM
Worked as a reporter for the Territorial Enterprise from 1861 until 1885, re-joined the paper in 1887 and continued working until the paper ceased operation.
While as a reporter he was the author of several books. His most famous was the . . . — — Map (db m21718) HM
On February 4, 1846, the ship Brooklyn sailed from Manhattan's Old Slip. Chartered by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the ship carried men, women, and children to California as part of the epic movement of Mormons to the West. By . . . — — Map (db m21511) HM
1586 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1386