Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

724 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 524
 
Qualla Boundary Marker image, Touch for more information
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 19, 2008
Qualla Boundary Marker
Alabama (Etowah County), Attalla — William Patrick Lay — (1853-1940)
William Patrick Lay (1853-1940), founder of Alabama Power Company, built his first hydroelectric plant on Big Wills Creek about 2 miles east on Simmons Lane. Lay purchased the Old Wesson Mill in 1902 and built a small hydroelectric generating . . . — Map (db m73995) HM
Florida (Hardee County), Zolfo Springs — "Bone" Mizell
was DeSoto County's wag, prairie philosopher, cowboy humorist and prankster. He was beloved for his merrymaking. Bone was christened Morgan Bonapart Mizell He was born 1863 and died 1912. Bone is buried in Joshua Creek Cemetery in DeSoto . . . — Map (db m24589) HM
Florida (Hardee County), Zolfo Springs — Seminole Indian Battle
One of the Last Battles fought with the Seminole Nation ended here on June 16, 1856 with Defeat of the Indians by Soldiers from Ft. Meade. — Map (db m61059) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1765 John and William Bartram, naturalists, began an extended trail from Savannah through Georgia and left a legacy of impressions. — Map (db m5087) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 25-35 — William Scarbrough House
Designed by noted English architect William Jay, this house was built for William Scarbrough, president of the Savannah Steamship Company. Completed in 1819, itis an excellent example of the neoclassical style. Scarbrough hosted President . . . — Map (db m35303) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — Elbert County Courthouse
The Elbert County Courthouse was built in 1894 and opened in a formal ceremony at the beginning of January 1895, as the third county courthouse building and fourth County site in Elbert County. After the private home of Thomas A. Carter, on . . . — Map (db m21904) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — Memorial Park History
On April 4, 1923 Ora Eugene Tate, Sr. deeded this 1.8 acre tract of land to the ladies of the Service Star Legion of Elbert County. The deed stipulated that the parcel of land must be perpetually used and maintained as a memorial park. The . . . — Map (db m21941) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — Navy Seabees Can Do
Erected by and Dedicated to Navy Seabee Veterans of Elbert County Jim Humphry - Joe Deadwyler - David Smith - Claude E. Ray,JR. - Cecil Smith - Ed Cartldge - Hogan Brown - P. Mattox Glenn - Ross Brown - Richard Brady - George A. Grogan • . . . — Map (db m21927) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — Old Seaboard Airline Depot
[Stone Marker]: Home of Elbert County Historical Society Built 1910 - Restored 1986 - 1989 [Separate Plaque]: This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States . . . — Map (db m21907) HM
Georgia (Habersham County), Demorest — 068-12 — Piedmont College
Piedmont College is an accredited, independent, coeducational, liberal arts college, open to all regardless of race, sex, or creed. Founded under auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the College was chartered September 6, 1897 by Habersham . . . — Map (db m56248) HM
Georgia (Hall County), Flowery Branch — 069-3 — Old Federal Road
The route leading west from this point is the Old Federal Road, an early thoroughfare which linked Georgia and Tennessee across the Cherokee Nation. Rights to open the passage were granted informally by the Indians in 1803 and confirmed by treaty in . . . — Map (db m24718) HM
Georgia (Hart County), Hartwell — 073-4 — Hart County
Hart County was created by the Legislature on Dec. 7, 1853 out of portions of Franklin and Elbert counties. It is the only county in Georgia named for a woman - Nancy Hart. Nancy Hart and her husband, Benjamin Hart, obtained a 400 acre grant . . . — Map (db m21343) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Oxford — 16 — Town of Oxford, Georgia Historic Shrine of the United Methodist Church
(Front): In 1836 the Georgia Methodist Conference founded Emory College, named in honor of Bishop John Emory who had died the year before. Early in 1837. 1452 acres of land were purchased with 330 acres being set aside for the college town . . . — Map (db m19732) HM
Georgia (Rabun County), Clayton — 119-1 — Rabun County
This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 21, 1819, is named for William Rabun, 11th Governor of Georgia who was elected in 1817 and died in 1819. Self-educated by reading he served as a member of the Legislature and as President of the . . . — Map (db m28007) HM
Georgia (Rabun County), Clayton — Rabun County War Memorial
Dedicated to Those of Rabun County who served in defense of therir Country and those who made the Supreme Sacrifice — Map (db m56245) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P 68 — Biltmore House
Designed for George W. Vanderbilt by Richard M. Hunt. Constructed, 1890-1895. Opened to public, 1930. Three miles west. — Map (db m12704) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P 79 — Lillian Exum Clement Stafford — 1894 - 1925
First female legislator in the South. Elected to N.C. House, 1920. Her law office was 400 yds west; home ½ mi. NE. — Map (db m12707) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), West Asheville — "End of Car Line" — 1890-1934 — Built by Edwin G. Carrier
The west Asheville & Sulphur springs electric railway ran from the springs to Government Street, at what is now Pritchard Park Fare 5¢ — Map (db m17055) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), West Asheville — P-86 — Electric Streetcars
First electric trolley system in N.C. opened, Feb. 1, 1889, bolstering regional tourism. Served train depot 1/4 mile S.E. — Map (db m17058) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N 40 — N.C. School for the Deaf
Opened 1894 under superintendent Edward McKee Goodwin. Main building designed by A.G. Bauer. — Map (db m20338) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Valdese — Valdese Centennial Park — Legend of Plaques
First Marker:Centennial Seal Official Seal of the 100th Celebration of the founding of Valdese Future From an agrarian beginning through Industrial growth, comes a bright horizon Civic Citizens Band together . . . — Map (db m20396) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Valdese — N 2 — Waldenses
A religious body dating from the middle ages. The town of Valdese was founded by members of this group in 1893. — Map (db m20335) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Grover — O 22 — North Carolina/South Carolina
North Carolina Colonized, 1585-87, by First English Settlers in America; Permanently Settled C.1650; First To Vote Readiness For Independence, Apr. 12, 1776 South Carolina Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which . . . — Map (db m16820) HM
North Carolina (Cleveland County), Kings Mountain — O 5 — Kings Mountain Battleground
Site of decisive British defeat on Oct. 7, 1780. National Military park located 5 mi. southeast in South Carolina. — Map (db m17659) HM
North Carolina (Columbus County), Whiteville — D 74 — Millie ~ Christine McKoy
Black Siamese twins born near here, 1851. exhibited in U.S. and Europe. Died in 1912. Grave is five miles N. — Map (db m20458) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Cherryville Veterans Memorial
World War I Dourus Dalton Beam • Guyser Canipe • John Q. Homesley • Alfonso L. Mauney • Clarence leonard Waters • Phillip S. Hullet

World War II H. Clinton Adams • David Alferd Baxter • Francis Wayne Baxter • Thomas Quay . . . — Map (db m44603) WM

North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Noah Benjamin Kendrick House — 1922
The home of business, civic, religious and educational leader and member of the North Carolina Legislature. Designed to demonstrate the quality of the products of Kendrick Brick and tile. — Map (db m44480) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Cherryville — Smoke House
The log building was built by Benaja Black in 1847, when the area was known as White Pines. The logs are securely joined with pegs. Meat was cured here by subjecting it to dense smoke, and it was stored here during the winter or until used. — Map (db m44474) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Confederate Soldiers Monument
(Front): Confederate Soldiers monument On these grounds between 1861-1865 over 1500 men from Gaston County answered the call of their State and County to Defend the South in the War between the States. (Back): Co. 1-11 87th . . . — Map (db m18586) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — O 50 — Dallas
Named for G.M. Dallas. First seat of Gaston County, 1846~1911;site of Gaston College, now extinct. Courthouse built 1848 is here. — Map (db m18573) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Eli Hoyle House — C.1832
One of the finest surviving federal style houses in Gaston County. Built as the seat of a 356 acre plantation. Part of the Ancestral Hoyle Family Lands. Listed on the local & National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m44380) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Rhyne Store — 1850
Built as a General Store with living quarters upstairs by cotton manufacturing industry pioneer Moses H. Rhyne this structure also served as a Post Office and as a site of County Court during rebuilding of the Court House damaged by fire in 1874. — Map (db m18609) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Smyre - Pasour House — 1850
Built by Dr. J.F. Smyre This building was sold in 1851 to Ely Pasour, State Legislator, Postmaster and First Mayor of Dallas. The northern addition was used as a classroom for privately tutoring boys. The granite upping block near the street was . . . — Map (db m18612) HM
North Carolina (Guilford County), Archdale — Mustering out of Confederate Army
General Johnston's men paid off and mustered out near here, May 1-2, 1865, after surrender near Durham. April 26. — Map (db m17845) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Canton — P-19 — Morning Star Church
Organized by German Lutherans about 1825; Methodist since 1866. Is 2½ miles south. — Map (db m17098) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Maggie Valley — Bishop Francis Asbury — 1745 - 1816
. . . — Map (db m17350) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Maggie Valley — Honorable Chief Junaluska — Gul'kala'ski - Tsu - Mu - La - Hun - Ski — 1758 - 1858
Junaluska was a peace-loving Chief in Western North Carolina. When Lake Junaluska was established, the name selected was that of the mountain keeping vigil over the lake-Junaluska Mountain - Honoring the chief. Chief Junaluska, member of the famous . . . — Map (db m17347) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Maggie Valley — P-7 — Qualla Boundary
Soco Gap, initial point of U.S. survey, 1876, of Cherokee Reservation, created through earlier efforts of W. H. Thomas, White Cherokee Chief. — Map (db m12781) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Waynesville — Museum Of N.C. Handicrafts
. . . — Map (db m12821) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Waynesville — P 58 — N.C. Education Association
Organized in 1884 as N.C. Teachers Assembly in the White Sulphur Springs Hotel. Building was one mile northwest. — Map (db m17759) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Waynesville — Turpin's Chapel - Maple Grove United Methodist Church
Founded 1865 by Capt. John Turpin, CSA (NC)-POW Non-denominational until 1885. Became Turpin's Chapel MEC (South) 1885. Name changed to Maple Grove MEC (South) 1912. Became Maple Grove Methodist Church 1949 and Maple Grove United Methodist Church . . . — Map (db m19734) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Flat Rock — Connemara — Carl Sandburg Farm
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1955 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m12466) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — Albert Pike
In Memory of Albert Pike Arkansas Poet of the Confederacy Philosopher, Jurist, Philologist Ethnologist, Statesman Man of Letters Born in Boston Mass, 1809 Died in Washington D.C. 1891 The greater part of his life was passed . . . — Map (db m80982) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — Edgar Wilson Nye — Bill Nye
1850 - 1896 American Humorist I will turn their mourning into Joy and will Comfort them and make the rejoice from their sorrow.     Jeremiah 34:13Map (db m17797) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — Frances Fisher Tiernan — "Christian Reid"
In Loving Memory Frances Fisher Tiernan "Christian Reid" Novelist Born in Salisbury N.C. July 2, 1846 Died in Salisbury N.C. March 24, 1920 In 1876 she published her novel, "The Land of The Sky." For sometime she lived in Western . . . — Map (db m81016) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — Herman Frank Arnold — Musician
Eilenburg Prussia Germany October 6, 1837 Memphis, Tennessee April 10, 1927 He orchestrated "Dixie" and played it for the first time at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, Montgomery, Alabama February 18, . . . — Map (db m81019) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — John Fox, Jr. — 1863-1919
Author of "The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come" "The Trail of The Lonesome Pine" and other stories of Virginia and Kentucky He was the interpreter of "The Heart of The Hills" and endeared to thousands of readers by the charm and truth of his . . . — Map (db m81022) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — Robert Loveman — Poet
In Loving Memory Robert Loveman Poet Cleveland, Ohio April 11,1864 Hot Springs, Arkansas July 9,1923 He spent most of his life in Dalton, Georgia where he did the greater part of his writing including the famous "Rain Song" . . . — Map (db m81025) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Fletcher — William Sydney Porter — "O. Henry" — American Short Story Writer
In loving memory William Sydney Porter "O.Henry" American Short Story Writer Born in Greensboro N.C. September 11, 1862 Died in New York City June 5, 1910 A visitor in Western No. Carolina His body is interred in Riverside . . . — Map (db m81028) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Hendersonville Vietnam Memorial
In memory of those who served, especially to those who gave all donated by those who still care. Designed by Jerry Gordon Feb. 8, 1947 - Oct. 4, 1995 — Map (db m20450) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — P 43 — Judson College
Baptist. Chartered in 1861 as Judson Female College; later coeducational. Operated 1882-1892 in building which stood three blocks S.W. — Map (db m12418) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Revolutionary Soldiers
In Honor of Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Henderson County William Capps • John Peter Corn William Senter • Joseoh Henry James Johnson • Andrew Miller Samuel King • Abraham Huymendall James Brittaim • Jesse Richman Elljah . . . — Map (db m20444) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — World War I
In Honor of The Citizens of Henderson County who served in World War I and for the sacrifices of their families. — Map (db m20447) HM
North Carolina (Jackson County), Cashiers — Q 1 — Wade Hampton
Confederate General; Governor of S.C.,1875- 79; U.S. Senator. His Summer Home, "High Hampton", Stood 1 1/3 Miles Southeast. — Map (db m20982) HM
North Carolina (Jackson County), Sylva — Site of First Jackson County North Carolina Courts
Site of Daniel Bryson Sr. and Artic Virginia Dillard Brysons' home, where on March 21, 1853 the first court of Jackson County, N.C. was held, and on March 23, 1853 the county government was formed-the structure was razed in 1956 — Map (db m12701) HM
North Carolina (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — "Old White Church" Cemetery / " Old White Church "
"Old White Church" Cemetery First Burying Ground in Lincolnton ca. 1787 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior

" Old White Church" Lincolnton's original house of worship . . . — Map (db m44431) HM

North Carolina (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — O 3 — Battle of Ramsour's Mill
Whig Victory over Tories, June 20, 1780. Scene 400 yards west. — Map (db m44397) HM
North Carolina (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — O 35 — Connie M. Guion — 1882-1971
Pioneer female physician. Gained National reputation from work at Cornell medical clinic, 1922 - 1970. Born 2/10 mi. N. — Map (db m44400) HM
North Carolina (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — Veterans Memorial Plaza
Built and dedicated to honor all citizens of Lincoln County who have served their country in the Armed Forces In cooperation with American Legion Veterans of Foreign Wars and Lincoln County Board of Commissioners James W. Warren, . . . — Map (db m44417) HM
North Carolina (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — O 66 — William A. Hoke — 1851-1925
Chief justice 1 year & assoc. justice 20 yrs., N.C. Supreme Court. Superior court judge 13 yrs. Birthplace stood here. — Map (db m44383) HM
North Carolina (Lincoln County), Lincolton — O 79 — Michael Hoke — 1874-1944
Pioneer orthopedic surgeon; founded hospitals for crippled children; chief surgeon of Warm Springs (Ga.) Foundation. Birthplace 80 yds. east. — Map (db m44394) HM
North Carolina (Macon County), Highlands — Q 17 — De Soto
In 1540 an expeditionof Spaniards led by De Soto, frist Europeans to explore this area, passed near here. — Map (db m20979) HM
North Carolina (Madison County), Hot Springs — P 66 — Balladry
English folklorist Cecil Sharp in 1916 collected ballads in the "Laurel Country." Jane Gentry , who supplied many of the songs, lived here. — Map (db m23129) HM
North Carolina (Madison County), Hot Springs — Warm Springs Hotel — Brother against Brother
On October 17, 1863, Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside reported from Knoxville, Tennessee, that "a regiment of North Carolina troops we are now organizing here yesterday captured Warm Springs, N.C., and now hold Paint Rock Gap." This regiment, the 2nd . . . — Map (db m23687) HM
North Carolina (Madison County), Marshall — P 71 — " Shelton Laurel Massacre "
Thirteen men and boys, suspected of Unionism, were killed by Confederate soldiers in early 1863. Graves 8 mi. E. — Map (db m23126) HM
North Carolina (Madison County), Marshall — Buncombe Turnpike
"Completed in 1827 from Saluda Gap to Buncombe County Court House and along the French Broad River by way of Barnard's and Warm Springs to Tennessee line. Served as the major trade route through mountains of western North Carolina until 1882." — Map (db m23690) HM
North Carolina (Mecklenburg County), Charlotte — The Last Meetings of the Confederate Cabinet
The Last Meetings of the Confederate Cabinet were held in this building and the surrender of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston was Authorized from here on April 24th. 1865 — Map (db m74963) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Columbus — 0-52 — "Old Bill" Williams
Well-known guide and trapper. Helped survey Santa Fé Trail. Guided the ill-fated Fremont expedition of 1848. Was born near here in 1787. — Map (db m11219) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Columbus — Polk County Bicentennial Memorial
Dedicated as a Bicentennial Tribute to the men and women of Polk County who have perpetuated two hundred years of freedom by serving in the Armed Forces of the United States during times of war and national emergency. — Map (db m11390) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Columbus — Polk County Courthouse — Raiders in the County — Stoneman's Raid
(Preface): On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m53199) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Columbus — Preserve our Freedom
Polk County men & women who lost their lives fighting to preserve our freedom World War II 1941-1945 Arledge, Keith • Arledge, Otis • Blackwell, Henry • Bobo, Alfred • Byars, Lionel • Cannon, Watler • Carson, Marion • . . . — Map (db m11488) WM
North Carolina (Polk County), Saluda — In Honor of Nolan D. Pace, Sr.
Who donated this building for the purpose of creating a Public Library for the enjoyment and enrichment of the community he so prized. His lifelong public service and this generous gift evidence his commitment to the development of Saluda and its . . . — Map (db m44683) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Saluda — 0-73 — Saluda Grade
The steepest, standard gauge,mainline railway grade in the U.S. Opened in 1878; three mi. long. Crests here. — Map (db m11204) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Tryon — Sidney Lanier
Here Sidney Lanier Beloved Poet of the South Passed on September 7,1881 "Night slipped to dawn and pain merged into beauty,bright grew the road his weary feet had trod,he gave his salutation to the morning,and found himself before the face of . . . — Map (db m40928) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Tryon — 0-11 — Stoneman's Raid
On a raid through western North Carolina Gen. Stoneman's U.S Cavalry fought Southern Troops at Howard's Gap. 4 Mi. North, April 22, 1865 — Map (db m11210) HM
North Carolina (Polk County), Tryon — 0-38 — The Block House
Early landmark, western terminus of the 1772 boundary survey between N.C. and S.C. Stood 1/2 mile east. — Map (db m11058) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Chimney Rock — Hickory Nut Gorge — From Raiders to Pursuers — Stoneman's Raid
(Preface): On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m12890) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Forest City Confederate Memorial
To the memory of Capt. H.D. Lee and Company D 16th Regiment, who were the first to leave from Rutherford County for the War Between The States June 3rd, 1861, and Capt. J.B. Eaves and Company I 50th Regiment, who left in . . . — Map (db m14582) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Lake Lure — Potts Fort — -1775-
Named for Captain John Potts who was killed by Indians during the Revolutionary War. This Fort protected early settlers living in the cove near the Indian boundary line. — Map (db m39737) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Logan — Rutherford Trace
General Griffith Rutherford stationed at Fort McGaughey, built by the Colonial government of NC in 1765. He left McGaughey September 1780 with Col. James Martin and Col. Martin Armstrong going against the Cherokee Indians beyond the Blue Ridge. The . . . — Map (db m20342) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — First Baptist Church — Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Established 1851 "the just shall live by faith" — Map (db m19969) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — Fifty Years of Mountain Logging
Commercial logging became widespread in the Smokies around 1880, about fifty years before the establishment of the national park. Loggers using hand tools an animal teams took maple, poplar, cherry, walnut, and other choice woods. Mechanized . . . — Map (db m20043) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — Mountains: Refuge and Healing
Clingmans Dome is a sacred mountain to the Cherokees, where the Magic Lake was once seen. The Great Spirit told the Cherokees that, “if they love me, if they love all their brothers and sisters, and if they love the animals of the earth, when . . . — Map (db m43851) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — The Great Smokies
(Side One): The Great Smokies: scenic, diverse, culturally rich. The scenic view here are well known; lesser known is the abundance of life. The Smokies' rugged topography creates a diversity of species found in few other places in North . . . — Map (db m20066) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — The Top of the Smokies — Clingmans Dome
At 6,643 feet, Clingmans Dome is the highest mountain in Great Smokey Mountains National Park and is one of the highest peaks in the eastern United States. An observation tower at the summit takes you above the treetops for a panoramic view. . . . — Map (db m43856) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — Where Man Is Only a Visitor
In front of you is a very special place - part of the park's "backcountry," a place without roads, wires, houses... Here you - or your children, or theirs - may walk for days, largely free of the sights, sounds, and smells of the everyday world. . . . — Map (db m20049) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Great Smoky Mountains National Park — Mingus Mill — An 1886 Turbine Mill
For over fifty years the mill you are approaching ground corn into meal and wheat into flour for the mountain community near Mingus Creek. In place of wooden water wheel, a small steel turbine provided power to run the mill's stones and machinery. . . . — Map (db m43850) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Great Smoky Mountains National Park — Mountain Farm Museum
Most of the buildings on a mountain farm related to the most basic of all needs; preserving food. The historic buildings at the Mountain Farm Museum were moved here from throughout the national park in the early 1950s. These buildings reflect . . . — Map (db m12747) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — Dunn's Rock Masonic
Near this location the first meeting of Dunn's Rock Masonic Lodge No.267 A.F.& A.M. was held in stone building August 4, 1867 Date of Charter December 4, 1867 — Map (db m12449) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — Hell Hole — Find yourself a place to stay
Dr. Schenck told new arrivals to the forestry school “find yourself a place to stay.” Many did so in the cabins left by settlers after Vanderbilt purchased their land. Students gave their cabins playful names such as “Gnat . . . — Map (db m43988) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — In Honor and Memory
[Freedom side of marker]: In honor and memory of those from Transylvania County who Sacrificed their lives in the Defense of Our Country Vietnam Milton Goldsmith • Joe D. Hudson • Reginald W. Lynch • Victor G. McCall • Weldon B. . . . — Map (db m80478) WM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — Looking Glass Rock
What good was a high windswept ridge beyond its obvious scenic beauty? Dr. Carl Schenck, who managed 80,000 acres of George W. Vanderbilt's Pisgah Forest between 1895 and 1909, tried raising livestock! In 1902, Schenck spent $25 on a goat fence on . . . — Map (db m43790) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — Ranger's Dwelling — A home away from home
Constructed in 1882, by Hiram King this large, two-story home was purchased by George W. Vanderbilt to house his rangers. Ranger George Gillespie and his family boarded eight forestry students in the rooms upstairs. For two meals each day, Mrs. . . . — Map (db m43793) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — P 76 — Walton War
A boundary dispute in 1804 between N.C. & Ga. led to armed conflict. Militia called out after constable John Havner was killed ½ mile E. — Map (db m12438) HM
North Carolina (Watauga County), Blowing Rock — N 10 — Stoneman's Raid
On a Raid through Western North Carolina Gen. Stoneman's U.S. Cavalry Passed through Blowing Rock March 28, 1865 — Map (db m20378) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Anderson — Anderson County Confederate Monument
[North]: (Palmetto Tree) (Crossed swords in scabbards with a laurel wreath - representing the cavalry.) (Confederate Battle Flag) "Though conquered, we adore it! Love the cold dead hands that bore it!" . . . — Map (db m10732) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson Parkway
Dedicated in 1979 in Honor of Thomas Green Clemson 1807-1888 A Native Philadelphian and Leading Agriculturist. Mr. Clemson was U.S. Charge D'Affaires to Belgium, U.S. Superintendent of Agriculture, and the 1868 President . . . — Map (db m16617) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Calhoun
This Monument was erected by the women of South Carolina in 1896 to John Caldwell Calhoun in commemoration of his eminent Statesmanship during the many years of his public life - it replaces one formerly on the same spot which proved . . . — Map (db m19133) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — John P. Grace Tower
The John P. Grace Memorial Bridge Named to Commemorate The former Mayor of Charleston And President of the Cooper River Bridge CO. The Grace Bridge (Modeled Here) Spanned Charleston from 1929 to 2005. Built by the Cooper River Bridge . . . — Map (db m19216) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — One Broad Street
This building is one of America's finest crafted Italianate structures. First opened in 1853 as State Bank of South Carolina, it has survived Bombardment, Hurricanes and a Major Earthquake, and Twice been restored along its original plans - . . . — Map (db m19668) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — The Site of Granville Bastion
The Plan of Charles Town Prepared by Edward Crisp about 1704, gives the location of the several Bastions A. Granville B. Craven C. Cartaret D. Colleton E. Ashley F. Blake G. The Half Moon I. Johnson's Cover'd Half Moon L. The . . . — Map (db m19230) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-3 — Thomas Smith — Governor of Carolina — 1693~1694
Planter, Merchant, Surgeon, arrived in Charles Town in 1684 with his first wife, Barbara Atkins, and sons, Thomas and George. A cacique by 1690, he was created Landgrave by the Lords Proprietors on May 13, 1691. He died in his 46th year on . . . — Map (db m19107) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — To the Defenders of Fort Moultrie
[Front of Monument:] [Upper Plaque:] Second South Carolina Regiment Army of the Revolution Organized June 17, 1775 [Lower Plaque:] “To the Defenders Of Fort Moultrie June The 28th . . . — Map (db m19167) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — USS Pringle (DD-477)
Launched at Charleston, S.C. on May 2, 1942 Lost to Enemy Action off Okinawa on April 16,1945 In Memoriam Vella Lavella - August 21, 1943 John Villani • Ernest F. Whitehead Mindoro - December 30, 1944 James F. Bennett • . . . — Map (db m19170) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge
[Marker Front]: Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge Named by an act of the General Assembly in honor of state Senator Arthur Ravenel Jr., who enthusiastically spearheaded a broad~based effort to secure the funds for its construction. . . . — Map (db m10042) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — 10-32 — Rifle Range Road
A U.S. Navy rifle range was built near here during World War I on the site of an old S.C. National Guard firing range. Included were 100 targets, 2 armories, a 600-seat mess hall, 12 barracks and auxiliary buildings. After 1918 the 100-acre site . . . — Map (db m19116) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Shem Creek
The name of this deepwater tidal creek is derived from the Indian word "Shemee." The creek has been an important site for shipbuilding, fishing, transportation, and milling industries since the early 1700's. Shem Creek also was known as Sullivan's, . . . — Map (db m75234) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Mount Pleasant — Vaughn Edward Kee — August 13, 1960 - December 13, 1985
On December 13, 1985, at 2:35 am, Mount Pleasant Officer Kee stopped an intoxicated driver near this site. During the traffic stop, a second intoxicated driver struck officer Kee as he stood near his patrol car. Officer Kee gave his life to protect . . . — Map (db m19113) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Sullivans Island — Civilian Conservation Corps
Marker Front:Civilian Conservation Corps March 31, 1933 to June 30, 1942 The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by the 73rd Congress in order to put young men to work restoring the natural resources of this country . . . — Map (db m19119) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Double Envelopment
On this field, the Continentals blunted the British advance, then charged with bayonets flashing. Cavalry hit the left and right of the 71st. The militia reformed and surged against the right and left. British troops found themselves overwhelmed . . . — Map (db m13030) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — January 17, 1781 — A Decisive American Victory Fought in Less than One Hour
The British soldiers arrived at the Cow Pens about dawn. The right flank of the British army formed in this general area with the rest of the troops stretching across the Green River Road. Ahead, in the distance, Morgan's army awaited. — Map (db m11356) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Let 'em Get Within Killin' Distance
The American second line of defense stood in position here. About sunrise,the British appeared. The militia, though not trained to stand against massed British bayonets, fought well and shot with deadly effect. "At first it was pop, pop, pop . . . — Map (db m77693) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Robert Scruggs House
Robert Scruggs married Catherine Connell, and in 1828 his father, Richard Scruggs, gave them 200 acres of land. They had eleven children and added onto the house as the family grew. Life at the time was hard; yeomen farmers raised corn, . . . — Map (db m11184) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Sharpshooters at the Skirmish Line
The sharpshooters at the skirmish line waited until Tarleton's army got within shooting distance. Their orders were to slow Tarleton's advance with well-aimed rifle fire and then fall back to the militia second line. As the British came within range . . . — Map (db m13065) HM
South Carolina (Cherokee County), Gaffney — Washington Light Infantry Monument
This Monument was erected by The Washington Light Infantry Of Charleston S.C. L.M. Hatch. Capt April. 1856 Cowpens Chapter D.A.R. 1936 — Map (db m13385) HM
South Carolina (Dillon County), Oak Grove — 17-3 — Early Cotton Press
This cotton press, built in 1798 according to tradition, is thought by many to be the oldest in existence. It was first owned and used by John Bethea III, and later by Henry Berry. Powered by oxen or mules rotating the beam to tighten the press, it . . . — Map (db m17773) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21-26 — Atomic Bomb Accident at Mars Bluff, March 11, 1958
[Marker Front] In 1958, in the midst of the Cold War, the U.S. Air Force accidentally dropped an atomic bomb near here. The unarmed 7,600-lb., 10'8"-long bomb was aboard a B-47E bomber on a training mission headed for England. Its . . . — Map (db m23628) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21 10 — Christ Episcopal Church
Marker front: First organized as a chapel in 1843 by the Rev. N.P. Tillinghast of Trinity Church, Society Hill, this church was formally established as Christ Church, Mars Bluff, in 1856. The Rev. Augustus Moore, who took over the chapel in . . . — Map (db m20488) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Florence — 21 21 — William H. Johnson Birthplace
Marker Front: William Henry Johnson (1901-1970), one of the most important African-American artists of the 20th century, was born nearby on Cox Street. His family later lived on the corner of Cheves and Kemp Streets. In 1918, at the age of . . . — Map (db m20490) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Cleveland — Tommy Wyche
. . . — Map (db m12470) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Eighty Unnamed Soldiers
In Grateful Memory of Eighty Unnamed Soldiers of The Southern Confederacy Whose Remains Lie Buried In This Block — Map (db m13480) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Fred W. Symmes Hall of Science
This Hall of Science is Dedicated to the Memory of Fred W. Symmes 1879-1957 Textile Manufacturer, Public Servant, Seeker after Knowledge, who throughout a long life labored unceasingly for the cause of Education Constructed through the . . . — Map (db m10981) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Pelham Mill — The Buena Vista Factory, Hutchings Factory, Lester Factory
• First Textile Mill in Greenville County. • Site used for textile manufacturing from 1820-1935. • The mortared stone dam spanning the Enoree River was built with six sluice gates in the 1880's. Rocky Field Creek runs from the North to the . . . — Map (db m51061) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-33 — Sterling High School
[Front]: Sterling High School stood ¾ mi. southeast of here and served generations of African Americans in Greenville. Founded in 1896 by Rev. D.M. Minus and called Greenville Academy, it was first located in west Greenville. It moved . . . — Map (db m10847) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — 23-27 — Working Benevolent Society Hospital
[Marker Front]: The Working Benevolent Society Hospital, first known as St. Luke Colored Hospital, was a two-story frame building standing here at the corner of Green Avenue and Jenkins Street. Founded in 1920, it served blacks in . . . — Map (db m10878) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Mauldin — Laurel Creek Church
Built 1869 Laurel Creek Church Rebuilt 1938 Trustees G.C. Franklin Jas A. Tolbert J.N. Brown R.C. Means Rev. N.E. Franklin-PC Rev. D.S. Curry D.S. Laurel Creek U. M. Church New Addition 2005 . . . — Map (db m10889) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Taylors — To the Glory of God
This original stone which formed one of the four Pillars of the first building of Tyger Baptist Church, the first in this area of South Carolina near the head of Tyger River, about the year 1800. I will praise thee, O Lord, with my whole . . . — Map (db m17381) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Taylors — William Few Bridge
Named in 1984 in honor of pioneer settler of Upper Greenville County who entered this state from Georgia in 1787 and whose descendants have lived on these lands ever since. Mr. Few is said to have built the first bridge and . . . — Map (db m10706) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — The Wade Hampton Oak
On October 2, 1876, General Wade Hampton spoke here to the citizens of Horry County during his campaign for Governor of South Carolina. — Map (db m859) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Galivants Ferry — 26 11 — Galivants Ferry
Marker front: In 1792 Galivants Ferry was named for Richard Gallevan, owner of ferry rights for Elirsee's Landing on the Little Pee Dee River. The ferry was an important crossing on the road to Conwayborough, the county seat, later renamed . . . — Map (db m35) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — LTV A-7 Corsair II
The A-7 is a straightforward, shoulder-wing aircraft with swept flight surfaces, provision for inflight refueling, and narrow-track tricycle landing gear. The A-7 is armed with a single M61A1 Vulcan 20-mm cannon, routinely carries two AIM-7L . . . — Map (db m23621) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Myrtle Beach — 26 17 — Myrtle Beach Colored School
Marker Front: Myrtle Beach Colored School stood here from the early 1930s to 2001. The first public school for African-American students in Myrtle Beach, it was a six-room frame building similar to the schools funded in part by the Julius . . . — Map (db m23510) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 28-2 (#1) — Battle of Hobkirk Hill
in the Revolutionary War took place on this ridge April 25, 1781. The British Amry was Commanded by General Lord Rawdon, the Continental Army by General Nathanael Greene. — Map (db m27617) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — 28-5 — Gaol
On this corner stood the gaol, built in 1771 and burned in 1812. During the Revolution the British imprisoned in it many American soldiers and civilians. Among them, after his capture near the Waxhaws, was the boy Andrew Jackson, later seventh . . . — Map (db m27620) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Fortified Post
The first fortifications at Camden were constructed in March and April, 1780, to protect the town's powder magazine from surprise attack by Loyalists. When British forces under Lord Cornwallis occupied the town on June 1, they strengthened the . . . — Map (db m23390) HM
South Carolina (Kershaw County), Camden — The Loyalists
Many Americans opposed the Revolutionary movement, preferring to remain under British rule. These colonists called themselves "Loyalists". The Revolutionaries called them "Tories"or the "disaffected". When fighting began, state officials ordered . . . — Map (db m23384) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-12 — James Jenkins — 1764 - 1847
[Front]: The Reverend James Jenkins served in the Methodist ministry for 55 years. He was born in Bitton's Neck, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Britton Jenkins. His mother was a revolutionary War heroine. In 1805 he married Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m27704) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Lynchburg — 31-8 — Ellison Durant Smith — August 1, 1864 - November 17, 1944
Known nationally as "Cotton Ed" and active in 1905 in forming the Southern Cotton Association, Ellison DuRant Smith was elected to the U.S.Senate in 1908 and served until his death in 1944, having been Committee Chairman of Agriculture and of . . . — Map (db m28124) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — 34-5 — Marion County / Marion Courthouse
Marker Front: Marion County Originally a part of colonial Craven County and Georgetown District of 1769, it was created as Liberty County by an Act of the General Assembly in 1785. The name was changed to Marion District in 1798 and . . . — Map (db m23627) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — Rev. Joachim Bulow.
In Memory of the Rev. Joachim Bulow. Organizer and first Pastor of St. Pauls Lutheran Church about 1761 — Map (db m19396) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Fair Play — Vandiver Bridge — Dedicated Oct. 31, 1961
Erected by The states of Georgia and South Carolina and the Federal Bureau of Roads Named in honor of a beloved Georgia leader and member Georgia Highway Board Samuel Ernest Vandiver 1876 - 1951 Father of Hon. S. Ernest Vandiver . . . — Map (db m19491) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Wahalla — 37-12 — Oconee Town
Oconee, also spelled "Aconnee," was one of the Cherokee "Lower Towns" in what is now S.C. at the base of Oconee Mountain and on the main trading path between the British and Cherokees, it was abandoned in 1752. Oconee Station was built in 1792 as an . . . — Map (db m9421) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Pickens — The Civilian Conservation Corps — 1933 - 1942
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 as part of the comprehensive relief effort during the grim depression years. Three million men were involved in the CCC during its ten-year existence. . . . — Map (db m21051) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Cowpens — Cowpens Veterans Memorial
To the Memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. And in honor of all who served their country in time of need. — Map (db m13022) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Cowpens — First Baptist Church, Cowpens
Fourteen members met in the depot of the Atlanta & Charlotte Railroad on Aug. 13, 1878 to organize this church. The original one room frame building was erected on this site in 1879. The second building made of hand-pressed brick in a kiln on . . . — Map (db m13079) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — AH-1 Cobra Helicopter
First helicopter designed for close air troop support equipped with varied armaments including gatling guns and missiles capable of high maneuverability at speeds of 141 MPH. 1,116 AH-1Gs were deployed to Vietnam from 1967 to 1973 logging over . . . — Map (db m10746) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — M106A1 Mortar Carrier
1964 Modification of the M-113 armoured personnel carrier fitted with a 4.2-inch mortar on a rotating turntable for highly mobile firepower. The M106A1 is capable of amphibious operation and speeds of 40 MPH. The M106A1 has seen . . . — Map (db m10747) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Greer — Theron J. Hendrix Memorial Highway
Honoring Theron J. Hendrix Engineer with South Carolina State Highway Department 1927--1970 State Highway Engineer 1962--1970 — Map (db m10978) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Landrum — B. Frank Carruth — November 2, 1915 - June 24, 1994
Frank Carruth's life exemplified the ideal of personal involvement to the betterment of his beloved community. His generosity brought food and warmth to those less fortunate. Roses from his garden brightened the spirits of his wife, friends and . . . — Map (db m11387) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-25 — 15th N.Y. Infantry / Harlem Hell Fighters
15th N.Y. Infantry The 15th N.Y. Infantry, a volunteer National Guard unit of African American soldiers, arrived here Oct. 10, 1917, to train at Camp Wadsworth. Race riots that summer in East St. Louis and Houston raised the fears of . . . — Map (db m21237) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Don Reno/The Blue Ridge Quartet
Don Reno 1926 - 1984 Don Reno was an immensely influential banjo player and one of the founding figures in the bluegrass movement. Born in Spartanburg, Reno recorded more than 500 songs during his career, many with collaborator Red Smiley, . . . — Map (db m44912) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — Joshua Hawkins
Stone step is from home place of Joshua Hawkins who has the oldest known grave in cemetery1750 - 1832 — Map (db m16620) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Spartanburg — 42-22 — Mount Zion Baptist Church Cemetery
(Front): Mount Zion Baptist Church, founded as early as 1804 as an affiliated branch of Bethlehem Baptist Church, was formally established in 1827. The cemetery here, dating from 1832, includes the graves of many early church families and . . . — Map (db m12409) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Jonesville — Jonesville Veterans Monument
Front Dedicated to those who served World War I Apr. 6, 1917 ~ Nov. 11, 1918 Right Side Dedicated to those who served World War II Dec. 7, 1941 ~ Dec. 31, 1946 Back Dedicated to those who served Korea June 27, 1950 ~ Jan. 31, . . . — Map (db m59073) WM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — Gist Cemetery
Ancestral Cemetery of the Gist Family Among those buried here are the secession Governor of South Carolina William H. Gist Aug. 2, 1805 - Sept. 30, 1874 Mary Rice Gist His second wife Also Col. William M. Gist C.S.A. . . . — Map (db m13468) HM
South Carolina (Union County), Union — John Pratt
Inventor of first practical typewriter, Pat. 1866. Born Union S.C. April 13, 1831. Died Chattanooga Tenn, July 21, 1905 — Map (db m13531) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Carolina Backwoodsmen
This distinguished race of men are more savage than the Indians,and possess every one of their vices, but not one of their virtues. I have known...these fellows(to) travel 200 miles through the woods never keeping any road or path, guided by the . . . — Map (db m17671) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Charging Cold Steel - Three Times
Everyone knew Colonel Sevier's rugged frontiersmen for their long-rifle marksmanship-and their touchy eagerness for a brawl. But no experienced military man of that day expected men armed only with hunting weapons to be able to face and defeat real . . . — Map (db m17530) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Col. Frederick Hambright
This Tablet Marks the spot where Col. Frederick Hambright was wounded — Map (db m17516) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Drive the Enemy
The ridge ahead was craggy and rough, and covered with flame and smoke. Campbell's Virginia regiment had drawn a tough and bloody assignment; to lead the first strike against the Tories. They were the first to close with the enemy, the first to hear . . . — Map (db m17550) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Fighting in a Forest Primeval
Kings Mountain...would have enabled us to oppose a superior force with advantage had it not been covered with wood which sheltered the Americans and enabled them to fight in their favorite manner. Alexander Chesney, South Carolina . . . — Map (db m17481) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — Major Winston's — "Foxhunters"
Major Joseph Winston's command mistakenly charged a hillside that was barren of Tories. Later, arriving here, they eagerly peered through the autumn leaves to see if they were mistaken again. They were not, and so entered the triumphant fight. — Map (db m17513) HM
South Carolina (York County), Blacksburg — President Hoover
On this Site President Hoover Addressed an audience of 75,000 at the Celebration of the Sesque Centennial of the Battle of Kings Mountain Oct. 7, 1930 — Map (db m17533) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-36 — Andrew Jackson Hotel / Vernon Grant
The Andrew Jackson Hotel The Andrew Jackson Hotel, built in 1926, was funded with more than $250,000 raised by citizens of Rock Hill. Designed by Charles Coker Wilson, it is a fine example of the Beaux Arts style and has been called one of the . . . — Map (db m16631) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-43 — Black Plantation / Hampton Campaign
Black PlantationThis area was once part of the 448.5-acre plantation of Alexander Templeton Black (1798-1875), for whom Church Street was renamed Black Street. In 1851 Black deeded land for a right-of-way and depot to the Charlotte & S.C. . . . — Map (db m16757) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-7 — Columbia Seminary Chapel
This building was designed by Robert Mills and erected in Columbia, S.C., as the stable and carriage house of the mansion of Ainsley Hall; Chapel of Columbia Theological Seminary (Presbyterian), 1830-1927; first home of Winthrop College, . . . — Map (db m16774) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — 46-26 — First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers
First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church This church was organized in 1895 with 26 charter members. The sanctuary, completed in 1898 and enlarged in 1911, was designed by Charlotte architect C.C. Hook and is listed in the National Register . . . — Map (db m16760) HM
South Carolina (York County), Rock Hill — First Home of Winthrop College — The South Carolina College for Women
[Left Top]: This Chapel of the Columbia Theological Seminary, at Columbia, South Carolina, was occupied by the Winthrop Training School as a classroom for one year. 1886-1887. The Winthrop Training School was organ- ized in . . . — Map (db m28087) HM
South Carolina (York County), York — 46-11 — Bratton House Site / Jefferson Davis's Flight
Bratton House Site Robert Clendinen, Yorkville lawyer and South Carolina Senator from York Disrict (1816-30), purchased this land in 1813. The house which he built here before his death in 1830, was acquired in 1847 by Dr. James Rufus Bratton, . . . — Map (db m11244) HM
South Carolina (York County), York — Historic York
Through this intersection originally called Fergus Crossroads have passed General Thomas Sumter - The Gamecock General Daniel Morgan - Hero of Cowpens Lord Cornwallis - British Comdr at Yorktown Col. Banastre Tarleton - British Comdr at . . . — Map (db m11290) HM
South Carolina (York County), York — TOWN OF YORK
Town of York During the Reconstruction period, turmoil in this area resulted in the sending of Federal troops under Col. Lewis Merrill to Yorkville and the declaration of martial law in 1871. Merrill was stationed at nearby Roses's Hotel. During . . . — Map (db m11161) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C 22 — Grace Moore
Born in a house which stood just across the creek, on Dec. 5, 1901, she was educated at Ward Belmont College, in Nashville, and after further musical study in Washington and New York, she became one of the outstanding operatic sopranos of her day. . . . — Map (db m40736) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Del Rio — 1C2 — Tennessee / North Carolina
(obverse) Tennessee Cocke County Established 1797, named in honor of SENATOR WILLIAM COCKE (1796, 1797, 1799 to 1805) An officer of the Revolutionary Army; one of the leaders of the State of Franklin and member of the . . . — Map (db m40739) HM
Tennessee (Cocke County), Newport — 1C 57 — Governor Ben Walter Hooper
Born in Newport on October 13, 1870, Hooper was a successful Cocke County attorney. He was elected governor and served two terms, 1911-15. His election is attributed to the influence of fusion, the coalition of the prohibition factions of both . . . — Map (db m61778) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 53 — Benjamin Lundy
Here from 1822-1824 Lundy, a Quaker, published the "Genius of Universal Emancipation," a small monthly paper devoted exclusively to the abolition of slavery. While here he also published a weekly paper, the "Economist and Political Recorder." After . . . — Map (db m23121) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 51 — Death of John Morgan — Sept. 4, 1864
The center of the present block was once the garden of the Williams house where Brig. Gen. John Hunt Morgan of Morgan's Raiders fame and his staff were billeted. Just after dawn a detail from Brig. Gen. Alvan C. Gillem's Federal forces slipped past . . . — Map (db m81609) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 77 — General Morgan Inn
The Grand Central was constructed as a "railroad hotel," from 1887 to 1890. From 1908 to 1981, it operated as Hotel Brumley. Carefully restored under the supervision of seven historic preservation agencies, including the National Trust for . . . — Map (db m23080) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 54 — Greeneville Union Convention
On June 17, 1861, delegates from every East Tennessee county except Rhea convened here for four days. The purpose was to keep East Tennessee in the Union after secession of the state. Leaders of the movement were Thomas D. Arnold, William G. . . . — Map (db m81612) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 61 — Harmony House
Built in 1851 by Dr. and Mrs. William Andrew Harmon, this house was used as a place of refuge during the Civil War. Soldiers from both Confederate and Union armies camped in the back yard. Of Federal architecture, the interior contains prime . . . — Map (db m22997) HM
Tennessee (Greene County), Greeneville — 1C 71 — Sgt. Elbert L. Kinser
For conspicuous gallantry as a leader of a First Marine Division Rifle Platoon on Okinawa Shima on May 4, 1945, this Greene County native was awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously by President Harry S. Truman. Attacked by Japanese forces, Sgt. . . . — Map (db m23029) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Chimney Tops Trail — The View Is Worth the Climb
This popular trail climbs to the unique summit formations the Cherokees called "Duniskwalguni," meaning forked antlers. Mountain people thought the twin pinnacles of quartzite and slate resembled the tops of chimneys breaking through the trees. . . . — Map (db m20069) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Gatlinburg — Noah "Bud" Ogle Farm — Self-Guiding Trail
With axe, plow, and gun, the first settlers changed the mountains, cutting into forests that were centuries old. They called this place "Junglebrook" after the dense growths of rhododendron and magnolia that bordered the streams. Between 1883 and . . . — Map (db m20419) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17199) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 16 — Wear's Fort
Col. Samuel Wear settled near the Mouth of Waldens Creek in 1783. He fought at Kings Mountain and later in Indian Wars, was first county court clerk of Sevier County. State of Franklin, and held the same office later under the territorial government . . . — Map (db m17201) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — Harrisburg Covered Bridge
The Harrisburg Covered Bridge, located in Sevier County, Tennessee, was built by Elbert Stephenson Early in 1875 and restored in 1972. That restoration was a joint effort through the Great Smokies Chapter and the Spencer Clark Chapter of the . . . — Map (db m40731) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 44 — John Porter McCown
Born 1/4 mi. SE, Aug. 19 1815. Graduate USMA, 1840. Brevetted captain at Cerro Gordo, Mexican War. Resigned 1861 for the Confederacy; rose to rank of major general. Commanded at New Madrid, Madrid Bend, Island No. 10 and later East Tenn. Dept . . . — Map (db m82671) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Sevierville — 1C 13 — Nancy Academy
Founded on this site in 1806, this school was named for Nancy Rogers, first white child born south of French Broad River. First trustees were James Reagan Hopkins Lacey, Thomas Hill, Allen Bryant, Isaac Love. The Legislature authorized a lottery to . . . — Map (db m17195) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 64 — Evan Shelby's Fort
This fort was erected on high ground about two blocks south, in 1771, for the protection of the pioneer settlers. From it went forces to the battles of Point Pleasant, Long Island Flats and Chickamauga Towns. Here also occurred the preliminary . . . — Map (db m82958) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Bank Of Kingsport
As the area began to develop, citizens began to realize that they needed a place to invest their money. As a result, the Bank of Kingsport was built in 1912. This financial institution was the first bank in the model city. It holds another place in . . . — Map (db m23731) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — The Gem Theatre
The old Gem Theatre was one of the first buildings in downtown Kingsport. Built in 1915, this building has been used for everything from a country-western bar to a church. It was originally a movie theater that showed a variety of films including . . . — Map (db m23733) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Train Depot
The Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Passenger Train Station, along with the adjacent Freight Depot, were built in 1916. The building's design was a product of New York architect Clinton McKenzie. Access to the railroad instantly gave Kingsport the . . . — Map (db m23730) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Western Union Building
Built in 1932, this building housed the Western Union telegraph company. Early residents could receive packages and send telegrams from this local office. Wires were extended from here to seven of Kingsport's industrial sites including Eastman and . . . — Map (db m23736) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Piney Flats — 1A 7 — Rocky Mount
300 yards to the southeast is the home of William Cobb, pioneer. First seat of government of the Southwest Territory, October 10, 1790: Governor William Blount had headquarters here till removal to Knoxville, the new capital, in 1792. Andrew Jackson . . . — Map (db m22906) HM
Tennessee (Unicoi County), Erwin — 1A 39 — Greasy Cove Racetrack
In the valley 500 yards north were held many kinds of frontier diversions, including racing on a half~mile semicircular track. Here, in 1788, Andrew Jackson, then 21 years old, rode his horse in a match race against a horse belonging to Col. Robert . . . — Map (db m82981) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Johnson City — 1A 56 — Boone's Creek Church
About 1 1/2 miles southwest, this Christian church was organized 1825 by Rev. Jas. Miler. Here, Aug. 17, 1829, was held the first recorded conference of Christian churches in East Tennessee. Other elders present were Jeriel Dodge, Robt. . . . — Map (db m22860) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Johnson City — 1A 27 — Daniel Boone
0.2 miles along this road is the waterfall under which Boone hid himself from raiding Indians; the falls were then about 4 feet high. 1.1 mile along the road, a marker indicates the site of the beech tree where "D. Boon Cilled a bar in . . . — Map (db m83060) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Johnson City — 1A 88 — Samuel Cole Williams — January 15, 1864 - December 14, 1947
Front Culminating his career as an attorney, teacher, codifier of law, and justice of the State Supreme Court, Judge Samuel Cole Williams -- the Dean of Tennessee Historians -- provided in the 1940's the leadership and inspiration for . . . — Map (db m83063) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Jonesborough — 1A 25 — Jacob Brown
About one mile S.W., this pioneer from S.C. settled on Nolichucky River in 1771. Brown's purchase of 2 tracts of land from the Cherokee on March 25, 1775, was made beneath a great oak tree still standing nearby. His sandstone marker reads "Jacob . . . — Map (db m83138) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Jonesborough — 1A 92 — Thomas Emmerson
Born in Brunswick County, Virginia, June 23, 1773. Moved to Knoxville in 1800 where he practiced law. First Mayor of Knoxville, judge on Superior Court and State Supreme Court. Charter member of Board of Trustees of East Tennessee College, now the . . . — Map (db m22851) HM
Virginia, Bristol — Civil War Memorial
Presented by Col. J.M.Barker of Bristol, Tenn. to the Chapter of the U.D.C. in memory of the brave men and noble women of Tennessee and Virgina from 1861 to 1865 — Map (db m23143) HM

724 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 524
Paid Advertisement