The Indian parties followed an ancient trail that became known as the Southwest Trail. The primitive trail took the tribal groups by where you are standing. William S. Lockhart was the first permanent settler in the area, arriving in 1815, at a . . . — Map (db m96596) HM
Saline County’s Everlasting Tribute
Here we enshrine forever the glorious memory of the living and the dead who through their valiant efforts and bitter sacrifice kept us a free people
Theirs Not to Reason Why, Theirs But to Do . . . — Map (db m96594) WM
The semi-subterranean assembly and dance house was the largest structure in the principal village or capital of the tribelet and was owned by the headman.
The sacred hun’ge was the community center for dances, meetings, social . . . — Map (db m71894) HM
The California Department of Parks and Recreation has been awarded a federal TEA (Transportation Enhancement Activities) grant to fund the restoration of the Las Cruces Adobe. You may see historians, archaeologists and architects on site researching . . . — Map (db m67195) HM
Travel the route of these explorers and read Lt. Pike’s own words from his journal.
U.S. Army Expedition to explore the United States new southwest boundary with New Spain.
Lt. Zebulon M. Pike Dr. John H. Robinson Sgt. . . . — Map (db m71882) HM
Come! Take a walk with us. We know an old song, El Caminante, which tells of taking a long walk along the ancient roads. Like the first prehistoric inhabitants, you too are a ‘caminante’, or one who walks upon this . . . — Map (db m71877) HM
In the aftermath of Sand Creek, federal investigations and military inquiry took place. Dozens of eyewitness' provided testimony. Taken in Washington, D.C., Denver City, Fort Lyon, and other locations, officers, soldiers, and civilians came forth. . . . — Map (db m92949) HM
Died July 21, 1865
Aged 31 years
2 Ms. 28 Ds.
EDWARD Thou Hast Gone to Rest
In This Far Country of the West
Brothers and Friends Mourn and Weep
Thou in this Tomb Dost Sweetly Sleep
Edward Dorris, a . . . — Map (db m71850) HM
Born in Kentucky in 1836
Came to Colorado in 1871
Established a general merchandise store and (trading post) at a rocky ford on the Arkansas River.
Moved store and family to present site in 1876, when Santa Fe Railroad was extended . . . — Map (db m70390) HM
Site of decisive repulse of Federal forces by Confederate Militia in joint U.S. Army and Navy Operation to take St. Marks. The Army landing at lighthouse was prevented from getting to rear of St. Marks by Confederate opposition at Newport and . . . — Map (db m13721) HM
The 14th Kentucky (2d Division, 23d A.C.,) together with the 123d N. Y. (1st Division, 20th A.C.,) [US] were posted as skirmishers East of the Kolb farmstead.
The stubborn resistance by the 14th Ky., and the 123d N.Y., disrupted the concerted . . . — Map (db m19573) HM
Toshio Toyoji and his 44 whse. (warehouse) 20 carpenters make and finish practically all of the office furniture. They remodel and alter barracks for schools and evacuee housing as well as the staff housing. The project sign shop is also . . . — Map (db m71760) HM
Attempted a mile long leap of the Snake River Canyon on Sept. 8, 1974 employing a unique skycycle. The large dirt ramp is visible approx. 2 miles east of this point on the south ridge of the canyon. Donated to the community by Sunset Memorial — Map (db m62966) HM
Near this site was the home of Brevet Major General Lewis B. Parsons, who lived in Flora from 1875 until his death in 1907. Born in New York in 1818, Parsons graduated from Harvard Law School and began practice in Alton, Illinois. In 1854 he moved . . . — Map (db m98934) HM
Construction begun summer 1942 under Captain Stratton O. Hammon, who used broad authority over laborers, suppliers, and railroad; base in use February 1943. More than 1,000 workers employed during construction. Base was over . . . — Map (db m63819) HM
From 1830 to 1880 the community of Lowell Mills thrived here along Driftwood River. There were two grist mills, a cooperage, a shoemaker's shop, a distillery, a saw mill, a woolen mill, an inn and general store. When the mills closed, the town was . . . — Map (db m63794) HM
Coeducational school founded 1884 by William W. Borden primarily to serve children of southern Indiana farmers. Low-cost, progressive program included teacher preparation and laboratory-based scientific studies. School closed 1906. Borden also . . . — Map (db m74115) HM
The William Tuffs Chapter
Daughters of the American Revolution
In Honor of the Revolutionary Soldiers
Buried in Elkhart County
William Tuffs • Walter Denny • John Proctor • Jacob Leer • John R. . . . — Map (db m75444) WM
East from this point, along the "Elkheart" River were located the wharves where produce and merchandise to and from the village of "Elkheart", 1835 to 1851, was carried by Keel and Steamboat. — Map (db m61185) HM
In Honor of
1795 – 1856
First physician of this township who purchased Section five of the Indians in 1829, and in 1832 laid out the original plat of Elkhart. Built the first saw mill in 1831; the first flour . . . — Map (db m73147) HM
On February 21st, 1837, the Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad first met in South Bend, Indiana to discuss the development of a rail system that would connect the county seats between Chicago, Illinois and Toledo, Ohio. After the State of Indiana denied . . . — Map (db m72700) HM
The folk lore concerning this cemetery has been handed down through generations by word of mouth. Most of it has proved to be factual through the efforts of Gordon Treesh, who researched old records and diaries.
This is not a family cemetery, . . . — Map (db m74217) HM
★ World War II ★
Baringer, Philip H. • Frederick, Clifford • Miller, Harold • Reed, Melvin, Jr. • Stiver, William J. • Weaver, Glen C.
★ ★ ★
Aschliman, Walter • Baringer, Joseph W. . . . — Map (db m72513) WM
Gordon's, or Millville Lock #24, was one of the 56 locks on the Whitewater Canal constructed to accommodate a 491-foot drop in elevation along its course.
The water level could be raised or lowered eight feet. Mitered gates at both ends of the . . . — Map (db m66863) HM
This Richardsonian Romanesque style structure, built 1900-1902, reflects the area's prosperity during the natural gas boom. The town of Harrisburg had been renamed Gas City in 1892. — Map (db m63801) HM
Free people of color left the South starting in the 1820s as threats to freedom and property escalated with slavery expansion. In 1835, Hansel and Elijah Roberts and Micajah Walden of North Carolina bought land in Hamilton County near anti-slavery . . . — Map (db m98840) HM
The junction of the Wabash and Little rivers, 100 yards south, was the western terminus of the Maumee-Wabash long portage and, in 1835, of the first section of the Wabash and Erie Canal. During the 18th century French and English traders passed this . . . — Map (db m45118) HM
This is the site of the Bargersville School that opened in 1912 with 162 students as part of White River Township's Center Grove Schools. Students in grades 1-8 attended here until 1937. — Map (db m66835) HM
A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources
Installed 2011 Indiana Historical Bureau and Harrison . . . — Map (db m75540) HM
The LaPorte Historical Society
Here places the names of the men who built the stockade:
A.P. Andrews, Jr. - Commander -
Peter White - Captain -
William Adams • Elijah Brown • Daniel Carpenter • Jacob Coleman • . . . — Map (db m77076) HM
1832 - First log school
1883 - Two story brick school for grades 1 - 8
1900 - Grades 9 - 11 added
1912 - Grades 9 - 11 discontinued
1948 - New one story school with 4 classrooms and gym
1955 - Four classrooms added
1963 . . . — Map (db m77098) HM
In Piam Memoriam
Erected to the greater glory
And in memory of these four
young men of St. Mary's Parish
who made the supreme sacrifice
of their lives for God and Country
. . . — Map (db m77393) WM
Presented to the City of Bedford October 31, 1935 by Fred B. Otis, editor of the Bedford Daily Mail. An area of 145.81 acres of beautiful landscape, including the fine old mansion, Pine Hall. Dedicated to refined recreation and pleasure of all the . . . — Map (db m74153) HM
Largest building stone quarries in the world, in continuous operation since the 1830s. These quarries have produced stone for many of the world’s largest and finest memorials, buildings and bridges. — Map (db m74165) HM
In 1843, Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society sent speakers to New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana to hold "One Hundred Conventions" on abolition. When speakers encountered citizens with deeply held racist ideas, they were . . . — Map (db m69254) HM
Excluded from social events at Indiana University, black male students founded and incorporated Kappa Alpha Nu in 1911. One of the earliest black national social fraternities established in the U.S. One goal was to expand to . . . — Map (db m74172) HM
A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources
Installed 2008 Indiana Historical Bureau and City of . . . — Map (db m68837) HM
Veterans' Homes of Mishawaka, Inc., founded by veterans, 1946, built (1947-1949) to counter housing shortage after World War II. 315 houses built on battle-named streets to seven designs; innovative features: aluminum siding, complete kitchen and . . . — Map (db m61834) HM
Indiana admitted by the U.S. Congress as nineteenth state 1816. Enabling Act moved northern boundary ten miles north of southernmost tip of Lake Michigan providing direct access to the lake. Boundary first surveyed 1817 by . . . — Map (db m61519) HM
Patriot, Ind., native; supervised Hoover Dam construction in Colorado R.; Lake Mead named for him; appointed Director, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, President Coolidge; served under Presidents Hoover and Roosevelt, top authority on irrigation, . . . — Map (db m66902) HM
Congregation founded 1836, serving Irish who immigrated to area to work on construction of Wabash and Erie Canal, 1834-1837. Many Irish bought land and stayed as permanent residents using their religious and cultural . . . — Map (db m61121) HM
This millstone is a remnant of the grist and saw mills built near here for Miami Indians by United States government as part of 1818 Treaty of St. Mary's. Treaty also established several Miami reservations in area. Possibly first industrial site in . . . — Map (db m61118) HM
Meals for the treaty participants were prepared in the cook’s cabin.
While the exact number of participants is not known, it is documented that the Potawatomie and Miami tribes camped on both sides of the Wabash River, numbered in the several . . . — Map (db m76569) HM
The Council House was used by the commissioners during negotiations and preparation of the Treaty of 1826. Following the completion of the treaty signing, it continued to play an important role in the development of the area.
In the spring of . . . — Map (db m76574) HM
CSA General John Hunt Morgan and a company of troops arrived here, May 11, 1862. They seized a train reported to be carrying some of Morgan's men captured at Lebanon, Tenn. Instead, it carried railroad employees whom he released. Morgan burned the . . . — Map (db m321) HM
Federalized Jan. 6, 1941 as Battery B, 106th A.A. BN.
Sailed for Europe April 30, 1942.
Fought in 8 campaigns–Algeria-French Morocco, Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland and Central Europe.
Captain . . . — Map (db m88119) HM WM
Compared to battles fought later in the war, Middle Creek produced very light casualties. Though more than 3,000 participated in the fight, only fifteen men were killed.
Union losses at Middle Creek were three killed and eighteen wounded. . . . — Map (db m97547) HM
The 400-acre May Farm, with its steam-powered grist mill, was used as a recruiting post and staging area by the region’s leading secessionists.
In September 1861, Jack May, Hiram Hawkins, Ezekial Clay, James M. Thomas, Benjamin Desha, and other . . . — Map (db m97381) HM
The Middle Creek National Battlefield Foundation, Inc., a non-profit corporation, is an organization of community leaders and historians who have joined together to preserve this nationally significant Civil War battlefield. The foundation's purpose . . . — Map (db m69139) HM
During the first few months of the war, Kentucky remained neutral. The August 1861 election, however, sent a Unionist majority to Frankfort. The new legislature voted to suppress the rebellion, and Federal marshals began arresting men suspected of . . . — Map (db m69137) HM
Edward Henry Hobson was born in Greensburg, Kentucky, on July 11, 1825. He was educated in the common schools of Greensburg and Danville, Kentucky. He worked for his father who was a successful merchant in Greensburg. In 1846 Hobson enlisted for . . . — Map (db m96925) HM
Formed from parts of Lincoln and Nelson counties. The last of seven formed during first legislature. Named for Gen. Nathaniel Greene, who, in the Revolutionary War, commanded a unit at Boston, 1776; helped plan defense of New York; fought at . . . — Map (db m96930) HM
Birthplace of William H. Herndon, 1818. Family moved to Illinois, 1820. An anti-slavery advocate and partner with Abraham Lincoln in practice of law, 1844-61. Herndon, Mayor of Springfield; State Bank Examiner. After Lincoln’s death, devoted life to . . . — Map (db m96932) HM
The mound on the hilltop before you is Fort Craig, a five-pointed earthen “star fort” that saw the fiercest fighting of the Civil War Battle and Siege of Munfordville, September 14-17, 1862. Forces of the 7th, 9th, and 29th Mississippi . . . — Map (db m88389) HM
Congressmen Buried in London
Wm. H. Randall (1822-81), lawyer, co. clerk, judge, 8th dist. rep. in 38th and 39th Congresses, buried in family plot on East 1st Street. Vincent Boreing (1839-1903), newspaperman, 1st lt. . . . — Map (db m84428) HM
Sue Bennett Memorial School, named for Madison Co. promoter, opened 1897 to educated mountain children. Funded by local people and the Methodists, school taught all grades. Commercial Dept. Opened 1901; county high school, . . . — Map (db m87753) HM
On December 30, 1970 an explosion caused by coal dust that was ignited by explosives occurred in mine shafts 15 and 16. The blast resulted in the deaths of 38 men. A lone survivor was blown out of the mine. The disaster occurred exactly one year . . . — Map (db m87772) HM
Birthplace of Eugene W. Newman, whose pen name was given to the town, formerly Chicken Bristle. A noted Washington columnist for several metropolitan newspapers and author of sketches about the Pennyrile of Kentucky. Known as great political writer, . . . — Map (db m97000) HM
Surveyed in 1839, the village of Pier Cove was once hailed as "the busiest port between St. Joseph and Muskegon." Before the Civil War, Pier Cove was a bustling community and a major point for lumber distribution, with ships departing daily carrying . . . — Map (db m73498) HM
Erected in 1862, this church was the center of the Dutch immigrant community. The first settlers in this area arrived in early 1847 led by the Reverend Albertus C. V. Raalte. In June of that year a separate group of seventy . . . — Map (db m73685) HM
The Otsego Methodist Church was organized in 1842 and served by a traveling minister. The first church was built on this site in 1847. On December 22, 1889, over 900 townspeople attended the dedication of the present church. Many donated money . . . — Map (db m69960) HM
Upon her death in April 1899, Julia Robinson Henika bequeathed two thousand dollars to the Wayland Ladies Library Association for construction of a library building. Her husband George H. Henika, and mother, Mary Forbes, later donated additional . . . — Map (db m73679) HM
Relocated and constructed on this site 1967-1968 by authority of Benton Harbor City Commission, as of June 20, 1968.
This agricultural marketing facility was originally created by the city of Benton Harbor in 1870 at its original location at . . . — Map (db m85364) HM
Because of Lake Michigan's moderating effect, a narrow coastal strip from Indiana to Grand Traverse Bay, 300 miles north, is blessed by a climate uniquely suited to fruit growing. This fact was observed by the 1840's when peaches already were being . . . — Map (db m64812) HM
Here, in 1837, in the then flourishing settlement of Bertrand, a fine brick church, dedicated to St. Joseph, was built to serve the Catholics of this area. In this church, on September 8, 1844, the habit of the Sisters of the Holy Cross was given . . . — Map (db m64931) HM
To the memory of
Father Claude Jean Allouez S. J.
Whose intrepid courage won the admiration of the Indians and whose apostolic zeal earned for him the title of the Francis Xavier of the American Missions. Father Allouez was born at St. . . . — Map (db m68554) HM
Built in 1924 by Louis and Lena Gordon, and expanded four years later, Gordon Beach Inn was the centerpiece of the Jewish resort subdivision of the same name. The Gordons operated the inn for a decade before losing it during the Great Depression. . . . — Map (db m64829) HM
Branch County, named for John Branch, President Andrew Jackson's secretary of the navy, was one of thirteen counties established by the Michigan Territorial Legislature in 1829. The village of Branch, . . . — Map (db m66759) HM
Methodists held the first religious services in Girard Township. Organized in 1832 by the Reverend Ezekiel Gavit, a circuit rider, the congregation met in homes and a school until a church was built in 1844. When that structure burned in 1887 it was . . . — Map (db m65812) HM
To the Memory of
Our Fallen Heroes
1861 - 1865
Erected May 30th, 1884
Pitssburg Landing (sic)
. . . — Map (db m65840) WM
Completed in 1899, this wooden frame building with limestone veneer is the third courthouse to serve Cass County. The Territorial Government of Michigan established the county in 1829 and named it after then Governor Lewis Cass. Two years later . . . — Map (db m64729) HM
In the 1830s southern runaway slaves bound for freedom in Canada came into Michigan near Cassopolis. In 1840, Cass County's Quaker community, which provided a haven for the fugitives, became an integral part of the Underground Railroad. Many free . . . — Map (db m64712) HM
This late-Victorian schoolhouse was built in 1874-75. Constructed at a cost of $3,000, it is made of locally manufactured yellow and red brick. The 1882 Cass County History described it as "the best rural schoolhouse in the State." Its two . . . — Map (db m64644) HM
Between the first and fourth centuries A.D. Hopewell Indians built nine burial mounds near here. The six remaining earthen mounds reflect the Hopewellian culture, which flourished in the Eastern . . . — Map (db m64742) HM
"White Rock" is steeped in history and oral traditions. Henry Schoolcraft, in his Travels of 1820, speaks of the White Rock and its prominence. He says, "White Rock, an enormous detached mass of transition limestone standing in the lake at the . . . — Map (db m68867) HM
Kalamazoo is an Indian word said to mean "boiling water." Originally it was applied to the river that flows northwesterly to Lake Michigan. A trickle of settlers in the late 1820's became a torrent in the 1830's as the region's fertile prairies, oak . . . — Map (db m68803) HM
Michigan Territorial Governor George B. Porter proclaimed Centreville the St. Joseph County seat on November 22, 1831. On November 7, 1831, Robert Clark Jr., Electra W. Dean, Charles Noble and Daniel B. Miller donated the . . . — Map (db m64540) HM
Signed on August 29, 1821, the Treaty of Chicago resulted in the Potawatomi and other tribes in southwestern Michigan Territory turning over their lands to the federal government. In 1831, after the land was surveyed, the government opened this . . . — Map (db m64544) HM
Position of this monument:
Latitude: N42 48' 42.63"
Longitude: W84 18' 25.41"
Elevation: 885.8 ft.
Established in 2003 by:
Michigan Society of Professional Surveyors
Michigan Department of Transportation
National Geodetic . . . — Map (db m65123) HM
The citizens of Covert
Township with solemn
pride and reverent
gratitude honor those
who gave their lives
to win World War II
1941 — 1945
William O. Bigoness Jr.
Walter J. Fitch
Edward H. Hecker
George E. Husek . . . — Map (db m69958) WM
St. Mark's Church
St. Mark's parish, organized at the county courthouse on February 22, 1851, is Paw Paw's oldest Episcopal congregation. The Reverend Voltaire Spaulding conducted the first service in a vacant . . . — Map (db m68435) HM
Following acquisition of the Natchez District in 1779, the Spanish founded the City of Natchez ca.1790 to serve as the capital. Under Governor Manuel Gayoso, the city was planned and surveyed by John Girault in a typical Spanish grid plan around a . . . — Map (db m10058) HM
Preserved here is a portion of a nearly 200-year old road – the Old Natchez Trace. Maintaining this 500-mile long wilderness road in the early 1800's was a difficult if not hopeless task.
As you look down the sunken trench note the . . . — Map (db m84832) HM
Twentymile Bottom, now cultivated, was typical of the many low areas along streams through which the Natchez Trace passed.
In 1812 Reverend John Johnson stopped at Old Factors Stand, near this bottom, and wrote this account of bottomland . . . — Map (db m84764) HM
Water tupelo and baldcypress trees can live in deep water for long periods. After taking root in summer when the swamp is nearly dry, the seedlings can stay alive in water deep enough to kill other plants.
This trail leads through an . . . — Map (db m87490)
In the mid 1700's Sieur de Bienville, founder of Mobile, recommended to Louis XIV, a waterway connecting the Tennessee River with the Tombigbee River. Later, American settlers also recognized the advantages of such a shortcut. Residents of Knox . . . — Map (db m84730) HM
The iron furnace is the most visible remains of what was once a thriving iron mining industry in the Arcadia Valley. The first iron furnace was constructed in 1848, but was destroyed by the rebel army after the Battle of Pilot Knob. It was rebuilt a . . . — Map (db m99208) HM
The confectionery located at this site in the Allen Hotel Block, built in 1905, was a favorite stop for Marcelineans with a sweet tooth. When designing Downtown Disney, which is adjacent to Disneyland, the Disney Company included Marceline's . . . — Map (db m62153) HM
Walt Disney's hometown of Marceline today is much as it was when he lived here. The first plans of Disneyland show a remarkable resemblance to the town, with it's store fronts on main street and locomotives coming and going. All who enter Disneyland . . . — Map (db m62154) HM
McDonald County, 540 sq. miles of Ozark grandeur in Missouri’s extreme southwest, was called Seneca when it was formed in 1847. Fully organized in 1849, it was named for Rev. War soldier Alexander McDonald.
Pineville, the county seat, was . . . — Map (db m99715) HM
Webster County, organized March 3, 1855, encompasses 590 sq. miles of the highest extensive upland area of Missouri’s Ozarks. The judicial seat, Marshfield, lies 1490 feet above sea level, highest county seat in Mo. Pioneer legislator John F. . . . — Map (db m99606) HM
In Memory of
the Men and Women from Webster County who died in the military service of their country during World War I and II, Korean and Vietnam Conflicts.
This memorial was erected by patriotic citizens and veterans of Webster . . . — Map (db m99604) WM
Wright County, in the Ozark Highland of Missouri, lies in a region ceded the U.S. by the Osage Indians in 1808. The first white settlers, mainly from Tennessee, came in the 1830’s. The county, named for Senator Silas Wright of N.Y., was organized in . . . — Map (db m99290) HM
From this point west to the Idaho line, Us Highway 12 and I-90 follows the route of a military road located and constructed in Montana between 1859 - 62 by Captain John Mullan. The road was 624 miles long and connected Fort Benton, Montana, with . . . — Map (db m71950) HM
The history of Big Springs, northeast of here, has been closely associated with the Union Pacific Railroad since 1867, when a station was established at that point. A nearby spring, from which the station derived its name, provided an . . . — Map (db m68069) HM
In 1861, the rocks composing the walls of this stage station and freighter stop were in neat rows and roofed with bundles of willow. It was one part of "Stagecoach King" John Butterfield's Overland Mail & Stage Company Road Systems, which at the . . . — Map (db m67145) HM
Scientists measure the force of an earthquake in several ways. The Richter Scale and the Modified Mercalli Scale are the two methods most often used to gauge an earthquake's strength and magnitude.
The Richter Scale provides an . . . — Map (db m62122) HM
Once part of a sand deposit that covered a vast area, these rocks have been subjected to a relentless attack by harsh winds, rain, heat and cold creating the many unusual formations that make up the Valley of Fire. — Map (db m72357)
From this vantage point one can see the steam rising from the geysers located near the base of the far hill across the valley.
The U.S. Geological Survey has designated an area south of Beowawe a Known Geothermal Resource Area (KGRA). The area, . . . — Map (db m69117) HM
A few houses, a ferry across the Humboldt River, and Bridge Street paved with sagebrush stubs comprised the town of Winnemucca in 1873 when Frank Button and his uncle I.V. Button drove cattle into the area to begin ranching operations in the rich, . . . — Map (db m67427) HM
Descriptions of the variety and number of horses used by the Pony Express became distorted during the course of its history since November 1861. In general, the type of horse used for carrying the rider and mail depended greatly on the region. The . . . — Map (db m67127) HM
"...the sand fairly blinds us. It blows across the ground in clouds. We certainly can't complain of the place. We came down here for wind and sand, and we got them."
Letter from Orville Wright to Katharine Wright, October 18, . . . — Map (db m10146) HM
The United Daughters of the Confederacy in cooperation with the United States Forest Service planted this 125 acre forest as a living memorial to the 125,000 soldiers North Carolina provided the Confederacy. The 125,000 Red Spruce tree forest was . . . — Map (db m70614) WM
The high, rounded mountain in front of you is Clingmans Dome (6,643 feet elevation), the highest mountain in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the highest in Tennessee, and the third highest in the eastern United States. It bears the name of . . . — Map (db m67901) HM
A pioneer furniture manufacturer and philanthropist, Erie J. Sauder (1904-1997) was born and reared on a farm in Archbold. With the help of his wife Leona, he began woodworking in their town barn in 1934. Crafting tables and church pews, the Sauder . . . — Map (db m69003) HM
Across Horse Creek from you is “Monument Ridge” named for its mysterious stone monuments that are visible with binoculars. It is not known exactly who made them or why. Perhaps they were built to mark grazing areas or piled up by a . . . — Map (db m71728) HM
In May, 1877, Chief Joseph gathered his band of Nez Perce Indians from their winter villages along the Imnaha. Instead of heading for their customary summering country in the Wallowa Valley, they began their famous fighting retreat from General O.O. . . . — Map (db m71743) HM
In 1975, Congress created the 652,488 - acre Hells Canyon National Recreation Area. It is managed by the USDA Forest Service under the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest.
Hells Canyon National Recreation Area offers a variety of exceptional . . . — Map (db m71732)
This statue of the young Andrew Jackson is a gift to the children of South Carolina by the sculptor, Anna Hyatt Huntington. Children of the elementary schools throughout the state contributed their nickel and dimes for the base.
"We, the . . . — Map (db m23779) HM
Deadwood is recognized as the site of the first organized Jewish Community in South Dakota. The Hebrew Cemetery Association was the first to purchase a section of Mount Moriah Cemetery, August 20, 1896. The section is located higher up on Jerusalem . . . — Map (db m27070) HM
This plainly visible, though long deserted road is a section of The Natchez Trace, evolved from Buffalo and Indian Trails, into The First National Highway of the South-West, cut and opened under authority of the United States Government, after . . . — Map (db m42767) HM
On January 14, 1914, a small group of local women met to organize a study club for the cultural advancement of its members. In addition to its primary focus, the club soon adopted a series of civic projects, including many that offered financial . . . — Map (db m89893) HM
A native of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, James Franklin Perry moved to Potosi, Missouri, in 1808. He joined the mercantile business of his relatives Samuel and John Perry, and became a partner in 1818.
While living in Potosi, Perry met and . . . — Map (db m90627) HM
Here was fought a battle-- the first collision in arms between Texas colonists and the Mexican military-- a conflict preliminary to the Texas War for Independence. On June 26, 1832, when Texans under John Austin and Henry Smith came down river with . . . — Map (db m10332) HM
This cemetery originally served pioneer settlers of the Wolf Valley community, which began about 1875. The earliest grave is that of S.T. Tollette, who was buried here May 11, 1882. Also buried that same month were James Lyon and R.P. Ramsey. The . . . — Map (db m89616) HM
A part of De Witt’s Colony,
1825-1836. A part of Gonzales
County to 1848. First settlements
were on Plum Creek and the
San Marcos River
Created March 6, 1848
Organized August 7, 1848
Named in honor of
Mathew . . . — Map (db m91552) HM
The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nation’s first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used . . . — Map (db m80763) HM
Settlers began moving to this area when the Texas and Pacific Railroad completed its line in December 1880. Many located near the commissary of railroad crew foreman Robert Clyde, for whom the town is named. A post office was established in 1881. . . . — Map (db m80724) HM
Passed near this site, providing for the first time combined passenger and mail service between Pacific and Atlantic Coasts. Operating west from St. Louis and Memphis, John Butterfield’s company used 1350 horses and mules and 90 Concord coaches and . . . — Map (db m77944) HM
Built by local stonemason James C. Lammers (1874-1942), this depot was completed in 1911, two years after the first train arrived in Bronte. Built of locally quarried materials, the depot features stone lintels and window sills and a red tile roof. . . . — Map (db m12236) HM
Fort Chadbourne C.S.A.
Located 8 mi. north on old Butterfield Stageline. Upon secession, company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for many Union . . . — Map (db m82378) HM
Born near town of Paint Lick, Kentucky. Came to Collin County, Texas, 1858. Joined Confederate army at McKinney, October, 1861, as private in Army of Tennessee.
Served in five divisions. Was in Battle of Chickamauga; hurt at Murfreesboro, . . . — Map (db m95975) HM
Archeological findings at an overhanging rock ledge on Walnut Creek show that the spot, midway between the Colorado and North Concho Rivers, was for hundreds of years campsite or village of nomadic Indians who sought the shelter, running water, . . . — Map (db m95932) HM
South Carolinian. Came to Texas 1853 ▲ Surveyor of lands in this region, including the site of Camp Colorado ▲ Texas Ranger ▲ Prominent secessionist. Member Texas state troops at start of Civil War ▲ . . . — Map (db m85761) HM
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad established a railway line about eight miles southwest of Coleman in 1904. The town of Valera developed in the area around the train depot. Its business district, established parallel to the railroad, . . . — Map (db m94422) HM
A frontier center of traffic and communications. First known settler, Richard Coffey, lived here in 1860’s, except in weeks when pioneers banded together in Pickettville Fort (NW of here) for protection against Indians.
This was on the . . . — Map (db m94421) HM
The town of Evant traces its history to an earlier settlement in this area. Langford Cove, founded in 1855 by Asa Langford (1820-1907), was located adjacent to and partly within the south boundary of the present town of Evant. A United States post . . . — Map (db m89695) HM
Formed from Hardeman, King
Cottle, and Know Counties
Created March 3, 1891
Organized April 27, 1891
Named in Honor of
Robert L. Foard
1831 - 1898
A Confederate Officer
Prominent Lawyer of Columbus
. . . — Map (db m81442) HM
This is the second courthouse to serve Foard County since its creation in 1891. By 1909, the first courthouse proved too small for the needs of the county, and voters passed a bond election for the purpose of building a new one. The Commissioners . . . — Map (db m81386) HM
German immigrants who came to Fredericksburg in the late 1840s and who later settled in this area erected a native limestone school which opened in 1878 with about 40 students. The land was donated by farmer Mathias Schmidt who according to local . . . — Map (db m91631) HM
The Cherry Spring community was founded by German immigrants about 1850. Classes for schoolchildren were held in private homes. In 1859 German nobleman Wilhelm Marschall von Bieberstein deeded ten acres of land to L. Schneider, H. Bradhering, W. . . . — Map (db m91645) HM
The original section of this two-story limestone residence was constructed about 1850 by pioneer area settlers Albert and Doris Meinhardt. A widow in 1879, Doris sold the property to her former son-in-law G. Adolph Pfeil (d. 1926), a local cotton . . . — Map (db m94290) HM
Beyond the Pedernales is Stonewall’s Project Head Start building—a symbol of one of President Johnson’s enduring legacies to the American people. President Johnson initiated the Head Start program in 1965; it was one of many programs that . . . — Map (db m91184) HM
I first remember walking along the banks of the Pedernales when I was a boy four or five years of age.
Lyndon Baines Johnson
The Pedernales River carves out the landscape of the Texas Hill Country, stretching 106 miles from . . . — Map (db m91182) HM
To a Texas rancher like Lyndon Johnson, conservation meant getting the most from the soil, water, and grass. The landscape before you reflects some of President Johnson’s conservation efforts. These upper fields are terraced to control erosion and . . . — Map (db m91234) HM
The Secret Service had a presence in the Johnson family for forty-six years beginning on January 20, 1961 when Lyndon Johnson was inaugurated as vice president. Over that lifetime of service, agents witnessed many events, both in Washington and . . . — Map (db m91316) HM
Why do we keep these animals in this enclosure?
A small herd of Longhorns and White-tail deer are kept in this pasture so our visitors can view these prominent icons of Texas.
“Someone has said that . . . — Map (db m91014) HM
Lest We Forget
In Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives in All Wars
Haskell County Veterans who gave their life for our Country
Smith Allen • James F. Alley • Elbert P. Alvis • Alton Lyndell Anderson • Melvin D. Andress • Troy E. . . . — Map (db m82058) WM
Situated on ranch land of family of S.M. Swenson, banker who in 1850s underwrote Swedish migration to Texas. Church forms center for Ericksdahl community, founded 1905 by Swedes formerly living near Austin. Visiting pastors L.J. Sundquist and J.A. . . . — Map (db m79170) HM
Noted Texas journalist and editor. Began his career in Austin and Dallas. From 1920 to 1935 was with New York “Herald-Tribune”, where as city editor he trained many writers. Also was on staff of Philadelphia “Ledger”. He . . . — Map (db m89895) HM
Two and one half miles east on the Packsaddle Mountain in a battle fought August 4, 1873 Captain J. R. Moss, Stephen B. Moss William B. Moss, Eli Lloyd Arch Martin, Pink Ayers E. D. Harrington and Robert Brown routed a band of Indians . . . — Map (db m20643) HM
Situated near a spring long used by Indians; built of stone quarried from Post Hill. Fort helped protect Texas frontier from Indians. Colonel Robert E. Lee stationed in Texas 2 years, commanded Fort Mason from Feb. 1860 to Feb. 1861. Here he made . . . — Map (db m90948) HM
Born to a Jewish family in Spanishtown, Jamaica, British West Indies, Jacob de Cordova immigrated to Philadelphia about 1830. After a brief return to Jamaica where he founded a newspaper, he became engaged in trade between New Orleans and Texas. He . . . — Map (db m94685) HM
Settled in 1854 by the families of William Jenkins and David Morris (1811-89), this community was called “Hughes Store” after W.C. Hughes and his wife opened a store here in the 1870s. They platted a townsite in 1876, hoping to attract . . . — Map (db m89944) HM
The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nation’s first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used . . . — Map (db m80506) HM
Anglo settlement began in this area, known as North Fork, in 1855. Stephen Bethel Strawn moved here in 1859 and in 1880 donated the right-of-way for the Texas and Pacific Railroad and laid off property for a townsite. The community’s economy was . . . — Map (db m98440) HM
Used in 1880s for travel on Ballinger–San Angelo Road. Rates fixed by the county court ranged from one cent for a head of livestock to one dollar for 6 horses and a wagon.
Ferry was in use until building of first cedar and pine wood . . . — Map (db m95194) HM
Early Roman Catholic worship services in Ballinger were held by missionaries in a church building constructed in 1895. In 1910, during the pastorate of the Rev. J.B. Frigon, this building was completed to serve the congregation. Constructed of . . . — Map (db m95196) HM
On May 2, 1904, eighteen charter members organized SPJST Lodge No. 49 in Runnels County. Founded just eight years after the SPJST’s organization, Lodge No. 49 continued the Czech-Texan benevolent society’s goals of promoting fellowship and Czech . . . — Map (db m96032) HM
Settled in 1880's. Named for C.R. Crews, Ballinger businessman. Mrs. Betty Sims was earliest voluntary teacher–mail carrier. School was built 1890 (with the Rev. Mr. Lockhart, first teacher). Post office established 1892 in Wise & Broughten . . . — Map (db m79248) HM
Originally called County Line. Name changed when general store owner R.O. Kerr applied for a post office and was granted one under name Drasco on Dec. 16, 1904. (Post office site is across street, south.) Kerr was postmaster until 1909.
First . . . — Map (db m81910) HM
In December 1886, Evangelist J.P. Pinkerton led 26 people from 19 families to found this church. Members met in the Shackelford County courthouse. Miss Betty Parker then gave $50 to buy land for a one-room frame building completed in January 1889 at . . . — Map (db m85200) HM
Erected 1877-78 by architects and builders Thomas & Woerner of Fort Worth. Gerard B. Allen of Saint Louis furnished ironwork. Initials on many of the native limestone blocks show masons’ claims to payment for work.
An early prisoner, John . . . — Map (db m94071) HM
The Houston & Texas Central Railway, which began building north from Houston in 1856, was tapped in 1872 by a branch line from Waco. In 1879, the Texas Central Railway Co. was chartered to extend the branch from Ross, 11 miles north of Waco, to the . . . — Map (db m94053) HM
Scottish immigrant John Brown (1842-1903) moved west following his theological studies in New York. He married Mary Jane Matthews Larn near Fort Griffin and in 1884 became minister of Albany Presbyterian Church, just as West Texas farmers and . . . — Map (db m85634) HM
Established as a U.S. Army training camp in 1940, Camp Barkeley (whose main entrance was about seven miles south of this site) became one of the nation’s largest World War II military training bases. The 12th Armored Division, activated at Camp . . . — Map (db m74770) HM
Martin Luther King, Jr.
January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968
”I Have a Dream”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., was an American leader of nonviolence and a prophet of peace in a time of trouble. He dared valiantly to dream that . . . — Map (db m79784) HM
The Rev. James Curry, a missionary from Sherman, Texas, organized this congregation in 1885. It is the oldest African American church in the city. The Rev. James Lewis served as first pastor of the congregation, which met in a small house near the . . . — Map (db m78834) HM
In December 1880, H.C. Whithers of the Texas & Pacific Railroad met local men here to decide on a site for a cattle shipping center. Bypassing the county seat of Buffalo Gap, the railroad platted a new town named Abilene for the famous cattle town . . . — Map (db m78016) HM
On Aug. 29, 1863, Indian raiders (probably Comanches) coming north from Mason County, with stolen horses, were caught a mile east of Buffalo Gap by Lt. T.C. Wright and eleven State troopers.
The outnumbered soldiers were forced to attack up a . . . — Map (db m74715) HM
In 1849, U.S. Army Captain Randolph B. Marcy was charged with establishing an overland road from Fort Smith, Arkansas to Santa Fe, New Mexico for emigrants seeking gold in California. On October 20, a party of Comanches approached Marcy and his men . . . — Map (db m93271) HM
A man whose public service was of highest order. Born on a farm near this site in Van Zandt County. Educated at Cumberland University (Tennessee) and Tyler Commercial College, was County Attorney and County Judge of Smith County. As chairman of . . . — Map (db m84511) HM
One of the most famous Texas boom towns. Name was given to post office at request of President T.R. Roosevelt after his 1905 wolf hunt with rancher Burk Burnett in this area. Townsite was laid out in 1907 by Joseph A. Kemp and Frank Kell, surveyors . . . — Map (db m74822) HM
Past this Point Extended a
Connecting Fort Belknap and San Antonio. Blazed in 1851 by Lieutenant Francis T. Bryan of the U.S. Army. Traveled by troops, supply trains and frontier settlers. — Map (db m93535) HM
The Rocky Mountain Fur Company, headed by Milton G. Sublette, David E. Jackson and Jedediah S. Smith, conducted a fur trading rendezvous in this vicinity in June-July, 1827, taking 130 bales of beaver furs for shipment to St. Louis by pack train. . . . — Map (db m66970) HM
Modern roads and highways often follow historic transportation corridors. In the mid 1800s, the California, Mormon Pioneer, and Pony Express Trails all passed through this canyon. Today, Interstate 80 in Echo Canyon . . . — Map (db m67627) HM
Utah's famed measured mile is located approximately seven miles beyond this marker, well in front of the mountains you see on the horizon. The elevation along that course is approximately 4,218 feet above sea level. *** The total length of the . . . — Map (db m67177) HM
This is the Hillsman House, used by the Unionists as a hospital in the engagement of April 6, 1865. From the west side of the creek the Confederates charged and broke through the Union infantry, but were stopped by the batteries . . . — Map (db m8284) HM
Before the Ice Age floods, no stream or waterfall existed here. Instead, the Palouse River flowed through Washtucna Coulee. What caused the river to jump its course?
When the floods surged across the area, they cut a path through the fractured . . . — Map (db m83021)
The basalt you see in the dry distant hills and the rock under your feet holds a tale of dramatic change. The landscape tells a story of ancient floods, rivers of lava, and the impact of humans along the Columbia River. If you look carefully and . . . — Map (db m82828)
You are standing in the pathway of some of the largest floods ever known. They carved steep-walled canyons, sculpted immense waterfalls, and left behind landscapes found nowhere else on earth.
Massive Glacial Dams and Lakes
During the . . . — Map (db m82826)
The Mauvaise (Bad) River was so named by the French due to the difficulties of its navigation. The Indians called it Mushkeezeebi or Marsh River. In 1845 the Rev. L.H. Wheeler, Protestant missionary at La Pointe, planned an agricultural settlement . . . — Map (db m63661) HM
This monument commemorates the Lincoln Highway, America's first transcontinental automobile road, and Henry Bourne Joy, the first president of the Lincoln Highway Association (1913). Joy, also president of the Packard Motor Car Company, is sometimes . . . — Map (db m47145) HM
Marks the Site of
Established September 5, 1866
Abandoned May 18, 1882
Named in Honor of
William P. Sanders
Erected by the
State of Wyoming
Jacques Laramie Chapter . . . — Map (db m67995) HM
The red cliff face to your left flanks Sunlight Mesa. At the top is Elephant Head Rock, so named because of its shape. The triangle-shaped mountain to the right is named Pyramid Peak. To your far right is a prominent rock-topped mountain called . . . — Map (db m68892) HM
The south central portion of Wyoming has long been a travel corridor for prehistoric and historic people. Native American tribes from the Great Basin region to the west crossed this area to hunt buffalo on the eastern plains.
From 1810 . . . — Map (db m67988) HM
Graves were an all-to-frequent reminder of the dangers of overland travel. Most emigrant journals record death, burial, or passing graves during the day's travel. Most burials along the trail were hasty affairs.
The official Company Journal of . . . — Map (db m67045) HM
2142 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1942