Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

4040 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3840
 
Standing Guard Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, December 26, 2014
Standing Guard Marker
France, Normandie (Calvados), Ranville — Lance Corporal Brian J. Mullen (Sapper), R.E.Pegasus Bridge Memorial Museum
After crossing Pegasus Bridge under enemy fire on the 6th of June 1944, Lance Corporal Brian J. Mullen (Sapper), R.E. No. 4 Commando, Intelligence Section, a talented artist, was killed while going back to help a wounded Commando comrade. . . . — Map (db m91988) WM
France, Normandie (Calvados), Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer — Les Braves - To Those Brave MenOmaha Beach — Normandy D-Day June 6, 1944
I created this sculpture to honour the courage of these men: sons, husbands and fathers, who endangered and often sacrificed their lives in the hope of freeing the french people. “Les Braves” consists of three elements: The Wings . . . — Map (db m92031) WM
France, Normandie (Manche), Sainte-Marie-du-Mont — Utah Beach Memorial
To the memory of the heroic dead of the 90th Infantry Division U.S. Army 6 June 1944-9 May 1945 — Map (db m91995) WM
France, Normandie (Manche), Saint-Lô — Monument Commemoratif Saint-LoVestige de l'ancienne prison, Saint-Lo
Place General de Gaulle Plague 1: Les Resistants a leurs camarades victims de Nazisme 6 Juin 1944 Le C.C.L. de Saint-Lo. Plaque 2: La ville de Saint-Lo aux veuves et orphelins victims des guerres.

Inscription above the arch: Aux Victimes de . . . — Map (db m92095) WM

Alaska (Anchorage Borough), Anchorage — Raven the CreatorCreated by John Hoover in 1998
Raven is the Creator in many Alaska Native and American Indian legends. Elements from my different legends are incorporated into this sculpture including "Raven Stealing the Stars, Sun, and Moon." The human figures in the claws symbolize icons used . . . — Map (db m72793) HM
Alaska (Anchorage Borough), Girdwood — Brown Bears of AWCCAlaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Good Clean Livin The largest bear enclosure in the United States is found here at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Solar electricity powers the electric fence that encloses 18 acres of land, and water is pumped into the pond by the . . . — Map (db m70721) HM
Alaska (Ketchikan Gateway Borough), Ketchikan — Chief Kyan Totem Pole
Totem poles are carved to honor deceased ancestors record history, social events, and oral tradition. They were never worshipped as religious objects. This totem is the second replication of the Chief Kyan Totem Pole. The original pole was . . . — Map (db m70746) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Eusebio Francisco Kino
(English version) To maintain alive the memory of the pioneer civilizer of the Pimeria and to strengthen the ties of friendship and comprehension between the peoples of both states. Sonora presented this statue to Arizona in August of 1967 being . . . — Map (db m92588) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — A Community's Living RoomManzanar National Historic Site
This auditorium is one of three original buildings remaining here from Manzanar War Relocation Center. As you walk closer, listen for laughter, tears, music—the sounds of celebration and sadness that once echoed through this building’s . . . — Map (db m122704) HM WM
California (Riverside County), Desert Center — Barren or BountifulJoshua Tree National Park
It seems to me that the strangest and wonder of existence are emphasized here, in the desert, by the comparative sparcity of the flora and fauna: life not crowded upon life…with a generous gift of space for each herb and bush and tree, each stem . . . — Map (db m92513) HM
California (San Francisco City and County), San Francisco — Heavy Cruiser USS San Francisco (CA38)
Honor-Courage-Commitment These are the remains of the flag bridge of the cruiser USS San Francisco, badly damaged in battle against Japanese naval forces on the night of November 12-13, 1942. The shrapnel-torn holes in her bridge bear . . . — Map (db m59868) HM
California (Shasta County), Shingletown — People of the Land
The mountains of Lassen Volcanic National Park have been a sacred place of healing and strength to American Indians for more than a thousand years. The Atsugewi, Maidu, Yana, and Yahi tribes settled in the mountain foothills and spent their summers . . . — Map (db m63301) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Beds of Lava
Imagine watching hot lava flowing toward you at this spot over twelve thousand years ago. Like treads rolling on a tank, the clinker, cooling front of the flow fell off and was run over by the hot molten core. The Devils Homestead flow, which . . . — Map (db m63258) HM
Colorado (Costilla County), Fort Garland — 190 — Fort Garland / Buffalo Soldiers
Front The Soldier’s Life Fort Garland housed infantry and cavalry units. During the 1870’s the famed Buffalo Soldiers—African-American cavalrymen—were also posted here. For all soldiers—and their . . . — Map (db m71032) HM WM
Colorado (Montezuma County), Mesa Verde — Split-Level HistoryMesa Verde National Park
Mesa-top and Alcove Living Although the Puebloan used the cliff alcoves throughout the entire time they lived in Mesa Verde, the cliff dwellings themselves were not built until the final 75-100 years of occupation. For over 600 years these . . . — Map (db m71207) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Pooler — "Hell's Angels" - "Might in Flight" 303rd Bombardment Group (H)
358th-359th-360th-427th Flight Squadrons supported by our essential dedicated Ground units 12 Sept to 11 June 1945 - AAF Station 107 Molesworth, Huntingdonshire, England Constituted 28 Jan 1942 _ Savannah, Georgia Inactivated 25 July . . . — Map (db m63687) HM WM
Hawaii (Hawaii County), Kailua-Kona — A Sanctuary for Humpback WhalesHawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary — Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park
The sanctuary lies within the shallow, warm waters surrounding the main Hawaiian Islands and is one of the world’s most important humpback whale habitats. Most of the North Pacific humpback whale population migrates nearly 3,000 miles to Hawaiian . . . — Map (db m72000)
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Monarchy CannonHawaii Army Museum — Fort DeRussy
This cannon was one of a battery of twelve guns placed on punchbowl crater by the Hawaiian monarchy beginning in 1831. Both to defend Honolulu Harbor and to fire salutes. The U.S. Army moved the cannon to Bishop Museum in 1920, where it remained . . . — Map (db m82128) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — USS Seawolf (SS-197)Bowfin Park — Pearl Harbor
LCDR A.M. Bontier, USN, Commanding Officer; Launched 15 August 1939; Lost at Sea, 3 October 1944. Beginning with her first patrol just hours after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, a daring submarine embarked on a career that made the name . . . — Map (db m81417) WM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — USS Wahoo (SS-238)Bowfin Park — Pearl Harbor
CDR D.W. Morton, USN Commanding Officer; Launched 14 February 1942; Lost at sea 11 October 1943. If one submarine could be said to embody the spirit and pride of the U.S. Submarine Force, it would probably be Wahoo. Certainly the enemy . . . — Map (db m81474) WM
Idaho (Bonneville County), Idaho Falls — 183 — Snake River Bridge
On December 10, 1864 a franchise was granted to Edward M. Morgan, James M. (Matt) Taylor, and William F. Bartlett to operate a ferry one and one-half miles below Cedar Island and build a bridge over Snake River at Black Canyon. Mr. Taylor selected . . . — Map (db m70571) HM
Idaho (Butte County), Arco — North Crater Lava FlowCraters of the Moon National Monument
After centuries of rest, North Crater stirred once more. The old crater wall broke open and lava poured out carrying great chunks of broken wall. Again it rested. About 2000 years ago, lava flowed out for the last time. — Map (db m70603) HM
Kentucky (Clark County), Winchester — 1358 — Colbyville Tavern
Built in 1820s by Colby Taylor as a place of rest and entertainment on stage road from Winchester to Lexington. In 1832, President Andrew Jackson visited here on his trip to Winchester. During antebellum heyday in late 1840s, popular stop for those . . . — Map (db m67745) HM
Kentucky (Clark County), Winchester — 710 — Rare 1860 Tombstones
In the burial ground, one-fourth mile east, are two rare Carrara marble tombstones carved in Italy by Joel Tanner Hart, the world renowned sculptor. He brought the stones to America, 1860, at time of unveiling of his great statue of Henry Clay in . . . — Map (db m67788) HM
Kentucky (Garrard County), Paint Lick — 1794 — Walker Foxhounds
Site of John W. Walker's home where he and George Washington Maupin, avid hunters, bred and developed famous Walker foxhounds. With red fox migration into central Ky., ca. 1852, Virginia hounds were crossed with "Tennessee Lead," a dog noted for . . . — Map (db m67838) HM
Kentucky (Harrison County), Cynthiana — 1428 — The Old Cemetery
Only burial ground in Cynthiana from 1793 to 1868. Located on four acres deeded to the city by Robert Harrison, owner of land on which Cynthiana founded. Samuel January, first Mayor, and other prominent early citizens buried here. First school in . . . — Map (db m67681) HM
Kentucky (Laurel County), London — 927 — Wilderness Road Inn
Site of home-tavern built, 1804, by John Freeman on Revolutionary War land grant. The tavern stood beside historic Wilderness (wagon)Road built by Kentucky between Cumberland Gap and Crab Orchard in 1796. A principal highway, it promoted settlement . . . — Map (db m73929) HM
Kentucky (Montgomery County), Mount Sterling — 1655 — The Gaitskill Mound
Indian Mound attributed to Adena people who inhabited Ohio Valley ca. 800 B.C. to 700 A.D. They began cultivating simple crops, bringing about a mixed hunting and farming economy. Central to Adena life were rituals involving cremation and mound . . . — Map (db m73886) HM
Kentucky (Pendleton County), Falmouth — The Kennett TavernNational Register of Historical Places — Historical tavern and stagecoach stop (circa 1800)
The Kennett Tavern is the oldest commercial building remaining in the State of Kentucky reflecting a Federal/Georgian style architecture. Built along the Old Revolutionary War Road during the Thomas Jefferson Administration-this tavern/hotel housed . . . — Map (db m67670) HM
Kentucky (Rowan County), Morehead — 788 — County Named, 1856
For Judge John Rowan, 1773-1843. Born Penn., came in 1783 to Ky. Admitted bar, 1795. Member second Ky. Constitutional Convention in 1799. Sec. of State, 1804-06. State Legislature, 10 years. Court of Appeals, 1819-21. U.S. Senate from 1824 to 30. . . . — Map (db m73811) HM
Kentucky (Wolfe County), Campton — Gateway to Appalachia
Wolfe County, founded in 1860, is Eastern Kentucky’s Gateway to Appalachia. The National Designated Wild and Scenic Red River and the North Fork of the Kentucky River flow through Wolfe County. The woods are sculpted with sandstone arches, . . . — Map (db m73872) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Standing GuardStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Fort Severn and Fort Madison on this stretch of the Severn River, along with a gun battery at Horn Point in Eastport, made Annapolis the best-fortified city in Maryland at the start of the War of 1812.

British ships hovered near the harbor . . . — Map (db m79920) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Tracys Landing — OutnumberedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
When 250-300 British troops crossed from Tilghman Island to Town Point on October 27, 1814, they easily overcame five local militiamen manning a nine-pound cannon. They burned three buildings, and a windmill.

Moving up Herring Creek, they . . . — Map (db m79956) WM

Maryland, Baltimore — Creating an American Culture: The Golden Age of BaltimoreMount Vernon Cultural Walk
During the early 19th century, Baltimore became, for a brief time, America’s second largest and fastest growing city. Baltimore led the world in shipbuilding, sail-cloth production, and flour milling. On Cathedral Hill, Baltimore’s business leaders . . . — Map (db m107314) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ferdinand Clairborne Latrobe
1833 1911 Seven Times Mayor of Baltimore In grateful acknowledgment of his eminent services the City has erected this monument AD 1914 — Map (db m60936) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglass SculptureFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park
Frederick Douglass is one of the best-known Americans of the 19th century. Schools, churches and other community buildings across the United States have been named after him. Known for bravery, vision and insightfulness, Douglas fought for the . . . — Map (db m103409) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mary Pickersgill
The public spirited woman who made the 15 star flag that flew over Fort McHenry September 14, 1814, inspiring Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner. Site restored 1976 by the U.S. Daughters of 1812 and the Star Spangled Banner Flag . . . — Map (db m89205) HM WM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Auburn Cemetery
Oldest cemetery for African Americans in Baltimore, founded in 1872 by Rev. James Peck, pastor, and trustees of Sharp Street Methodist Episcopal Church. Dating to 1787, the congregation served the community and was influential in the freedom . . . — Map (db m13540) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Maddox Family and Time PrintersBaltimore Black History
Under the leadership of Booker T. Washington, Gabriel B. Mattox, Sr., set up the first print shop at Tuskagee Institute in Alabama. In 1907, Maddox migrated to Baltimore, where he opened a print shop on Druid Hill Avenue in West Baltimore. In 1954, . . . — Map (db m101480) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Washington Monument
The Washington Monument, constructed between 1815 and 1829, was the nation's first formal tribute to the leader of the United States. Following the custom of the day, the design was chosen in a competition and the cost defrayed by a public lottery. . . . — Map (db m90316) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Hitting HomeStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
People living in the path of the British army as it marched toward Baltimore in September 1814 feared the worst. Some hurriedly hid valuables; others packed what they could and fled. Residents who remained faced the enemy with courage.

The . . . — Map (db m83039) HM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Timonium — Ensign C Markland Kelly, Jr., Memorial
In memory of Ensign C. Markland Kelly, Jr. USN Sept 22, 1916-June 4, 1942.

Ensign Kelly was lost in action during the Battle of Midway, June 4, 1942. His spirit, courage, and love of country will always be an inspiration to those who would . . . — Map (db m107339) WM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — “The Commodore Can Beat Any…Barges…Sent Against Him”Maryland Republican, June 18, 1814 — Second Battle of St. Leonard Creek
As dawn approached on June 26th, 1814, the United States Chesapeake Flotilla and American shore batteries launched a poorly-coordinated attack against the British.

Under the cover of darkness, U.S. Army and Marine units, aided by 20 flotillamen, . . . — Map (db m81031) WM

Maryland (Calvert County), St. Leonard — King's Reach Post Mold PatternsKing’s Reach Site
As wooden building posts decay in the ground, they form distinctly-colored soils that archaeologists call post molds. The location and spacing of post molds provide important clues about the size of a building, the arrangements of its rooms, and how . . . — Map (db m80906) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — The Heart of Our Town
Taneytown was founded in 1754 by Raphael Taney, a land speculator from St. Mary’s County. Some of the first buildings to line the dusty road were taverns-public houses where weary travelers could have a meal and spend the night. In fact President . . . — Map (db m65105) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Carroll County Almshouse and FarmNational Register of Historic Places
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m65148) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — On the Wild SideMount Harmon Plantation
As you continue along the Pond Trail, keep a look out for deer, eagles, great blue herons, owls, ducks, geese, foxes beaver and osprey. The fields wooded areas, ponds and marshes at Mount Harmon attract an array of wildlife.

The Chesapeake Bay . . . — Map (db m96625)

Maryland (Cecil County), Earleville — Plantation Life in the Colonial EraMount Harmon Plantation
Plantation Life In the colonial era Mount Harmon was a working plantation. A community of people lived at Mount Harmon during the 18th century including the landowners, indentured servants, slaves, and tradespeople. Inventories from the Heath . . . — Map (db m90702) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Elkton — Spirited RebuffStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
The British took their terror campaign to the Elk River in April 1813. Their target—Elkton—was protected by several forts.

After capturing a gun battery at Frenchtown, British raiders destroyed its storehouses, a fishery, and . . . — Map (db m80363) HM

Maryland (Cecil County), Port Deposit — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to those Men and Women of this Community who served our Country in times of Peace and War. Donated to the People of Port Deposit MD by V.F.W. Post 8185 — Map (db m64912) WM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Cambridge — The Chesapeake Bay EcosystemBlackwater National Wildlife Refuge
Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge is part of the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem. This refuge encompasses two rivers which share its name. The Little Blackwater flows into the Blackwater River south of the refuge Observation Site. The Blackwater River . . . — Map (db m79127) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Accokeek — Join the AdventureCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail — Piscataway National Park
Explore the places Englishman John Smith traveled in the early 1600s. Learn about the thriving American Indian communities he encountered and imagine the bountiful Chesapeake he observed. Experience the natural and cultural richness that exists in . . . — Map (db m96418) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Bowie — Hall Station
Abolition of slavery after the Civil War brought change to labor practices and subdivision of tobacco plantations, such as 108-acre “Collington Meadows”. R.C. Duval built a general store and post office ca. 1877 on part of the former . . . — Map (db m95821) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — A Valiant StandStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
After penetrating two lines of defense, the British rushed toward the third line. Commodore Joshua Barney and Captain Samuel Miller with 400 flotillamen, 114 U.S. Marines, and some militia made a stand with five big guns across Bladensburg . . . — Map (db m97386) WM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Queenstown — Lure of FreedomStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
(Inscription under the image in the upper left) Nathan escaped from jail along with a former slave, Daniel Johns. The town sheriff advertised in the Republican Star for their apprehension.

In April of 1814, British Admiral Cochrane issued a . . . — Map (db m80688) HM

Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Stevensville — British TakeoverStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Broad Creek was an obvious landing point for the 2,000-3,000 British troops coming ashore on Kent Island August 5, 1813. This had been a ferry landing since the 1600s. Stores of grain and pens of cattle, hogs, and sheep awaited transport to the . . . — Map (db m90634) WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Scotland — Death at Point Lookout
It is hard to imagine this tranquil site as a place of sickness, suffering and death. Yet during the Civil War, five graveyards marked Point Lookout. Why so many graves? In 1863, Union forces chose this isolated spot for a prisoner of war camp. . . . — Map (db m60286) HM
Maryland (Talbot County), St. Michaels — The Miles River
In front of you, the Miles River is carrying freshwater down to the Chesapeake Bay. Twice a day, saltwater tides from the Atlantic Ocean push back the fresh water flow of the Miles River and some 150 other rivers, creeks, and streams. This mixing of . . . — Map (db m61529) HM
Maryland (Worcester County), Ocean City — Treasures From The Past
Town of Berlin Berlin’s main street follows the course of the old Philadelphia post road which served as a principal stage route and course of land transportation during the 18th and 19th centuries. Tradition holds that the name Berlin came . . . — Map (db m66541) HM
Massachusetts (Bristol County), Taunton — Memorial for Soldiers against Terrorism
For Those Who Served in the Global War on Terrorism — Map (db m66341) WM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hadley — Holyoke Range and Skinner State Parks
The park’s westernmost peak, Mt Holyoke, was the site of North America’s first summit house (1821) and the state’s first mountain tramway (1854). Located in the towns of Hadley, South Hadley, Amherst, Belchertown, and Granby, the two parks were . . . — Map (db m65741) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Human ConstructionCarlos Dorrien — 1989
Site: Pawtucket Canal at Central Street. Material: Granite. The cut and textured granite stones of this work are arranged in a classic post and lintel form. Their monumental size reflects the endurance of Lowell's people throughout history. The . . . — Map (db m66209) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Soldiers and Sailors Monument1861-1865
Dedicated Sept. 2, 1905 to the memory of the veterans of the Civil War and Spanish Wars. The erection of this monument is largely the efforts of the Women connected with the patriotic organizations of the veterans. This spot was set aside for . . . — Map (db m65898) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Vietnam War MemorialJohn A. Barnes III — Vietnam War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Dedicated to the men and women of Dedham who served their country with honor and Valor and the lasting memory of those who gave their lives during the Vietnam War.

PFC John A. Barnes III, U.S. Army 12 Nov. 1967, Awarded Congressional Medal of . . . — Map (db m62533) WM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), South Weymouth — History of NAS South WeymouthShea Field Memorial Grove
Naval Air Station South Weymouth was a U.S. Navy installation from 1942 to 1997. It was established as a blimp base during the Second World War. Later, during the post-war era, NAS South Weymouth hosted a changing variety of regular Navy, Navy . . . — Map (db m66309) HM WM
Mississippi (Forrest County), Camp Shelby — 2127 — Camp Shelby
Side 1 Following activation for service in both WWI and WWII, Ky. Guard units, as part of the 38th Inf. Div. were sent to Camp Shelby for training in preparation for war. Ky. National Guard units trained at Camp Shelby during WWI and . . . — Map (db m71589) HM
Montana (Flathead County), Essex — The Goat Lick
Each summer a need for mineral salts bring mountain goats down from the high country to the natural licks along the Middle Fork of the Flathead River. Most activity occurs in late June and July, when as many as 70 goats have been seen on this lick . . . — Map (db m96507) HM
Nebraska (Dawson County), Lexington — M2 Bradley Fighting VehicleHeartland Museum of Military Vehicles
This vehicle, not a true tank, is built by FMC Corporation. Named after General Omar Bradley, it first appeared in 1978. It is powered by a Cummins 500 hp, V-8, Diesel engine with a supercharger. The transmission is built by General Electric. The . . . — Map (db m92688) HM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Franconia — The Flume
The granite rock which make up the walls of the flume was formed many millions of years ago in ancient geological time. At a later period dark colored lava in a molten condition was pushed up from below filling a great crack and smaller side cracks . . . — Map (db m104749) HM
New Hampshire (Merrimack County), Concord — 125 — The Pierce Manse
One tenth of a mile east of here stands the only house in Concord owned (1842-1848) by Franklin Pierce, 14th President of the United States. Removed to this site in 1971 from Montgomery Street, it was restored by the Pierce Brigade. Opened to the . . . — Map (db m75240) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Somers Point — U.S. Navy Commandant Richard Somers’ Birthplace
Born at this site on September 15, 1778, educated in Philadelphia, Somers led the Battle of Tripoli and sacrificed his life on September 4, 1804. He is memorialized by both a monument at the U.S. Naval Academy and a U.S. Navy ship commissioned in . . . — Map (db m92406) HM
New Jersey (Atlantic County), Weymouth — Weymouth FurnaceAtlantic County Historical Society
Early 19th Century South Jersey iron furnace. Iron was produced from “Bog Ore” mined in surrounding swamps and brought to furnace by small barges poled along canals. Iron Castings, Stoves, Pots and Pans were made. Weymouth cast cannon . . . — Map (db m64262) HM
New Jersey (Burlington County), Burlington — Ockanickon
Near this spot lies the body of the Indian Chief Ockanickon. Friend of the White Man whose last words were: "Be plain and fair to all, both Indian and Christian as I have been. 1681 — Map (db m79538) HM
New Jersey (Camden County), Audubon — A Tribute to Audubon's Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients
Panel 1 Samuel M. Sampler In memory of his bold charge through hostile fire resulting in the surrender of twenty-eight enemy soldiers near St. Etienne, France, 8 October 1918. He died on 19 November 1979. Panel 2 Edward C. Benfold In . . . — Map (db m64169) WM
New Jersey (Camden County), Cherry Hill — The Kay-Evans House at Croft Farm
The Kay-Evans house at Croft Farm dates to the mid 18th century when Isaac Kay, a prominent West Jersey settler, built a two-story brick dwelling to accompany his burgeoning milling establishment on the banks of the Cooper River. Subsequent owner . . . — Map (db m79602) HM
New Jersey (Cumberland County), Bivalve — Maurice River
The Maurice River and its tributaries to the Delaware Bay have played a significant role in Southern New Jersey’s cultural landscape and shaped its diverse people—generation after generation. Its resources, particularly fish and shellfish, . . . — Map (db m64337) HM
New Jersey (Cumberland County), Greenwich — Little Stone School
Endowed as free school for poor children by Zachariah Barrow. Oldest educational building in Cumberland Co., it served until the advent of public supported learning. Militia trained here-1812. — Map (db m92313) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Olden House
At Washington's request, the Olden family cared for British wounded in this house after the Battle of Princeton. — Map (db m94760) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Sayreville — Sayre & Fisher Reading Room
The reading room building was constructed in Sayreville in 1883 by the Sayre and Fisher Company for use as a library and a hall. The first floor hall was used for meetings, sales promotions and employee functions. Later it was called Sayreville Hall . . . — Map (db m93892) HM
New Jersey (Monmouth County), Imlaystown — Ye Olde Yellow Meeting House-The Parsonage and Baptist Ministry
This parsonage provided a home for the Baptist ministers at Upper Freehold. It was built in several stages with the oldest section (c.1740), now its center, containing one room on the first floor with an open-hearth fireplace and a beamed ceiling. . . . — Map (db m79438) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mine Hill — The Bridget Smith House
1855 Built by Dover Iron Company builders of duplex patch houses on property owned by James and Thomas Maloney. 1879 Sold to mining widow Bridget Smith as a two-family residence. 1912 Renovated as single-family home; rented to Jesse and Ida . . . — Map (db m91495) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — Tuttle House1796
Built by Samuel Tuttle, grandson of Joseph Tuttle, Colonel in Morris Militia, and County Freeholder. House occupied by Tuttle descendants until 1913. Dwelling borders Old Whippany Cemetery. — Map (db m91152) HM
New Jersey (Ocean County), Bayville — Step into the PastDouble Trouble Village
Initially settled because of Atlantic white cedar lumbering operations, Double Trouble Village became active, self-contained cranberry production community from the early 1900s through the 1960s. The village, sawmill, cranberry bogs and processing . . . — Map (db m92449) HM
New Jersey (Union County), Summit — Florence Spearing RandolphWomen’s Heritage Trail — Wallace Chapel AME Zion Church
Florence Spearing Randolph, born in Charleston, South Carolina on August 9, 1866 was an African-American A.M.E. Zion (Methodist) minister and social activist. She served as Pastor of Wallace Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church, Summit City, from 1925 to 1946. . . . — Map (db m94510) HM
New Mexico (Bernalillo County), Albuquerque — Old Town History
Front of Marker - English: 1706-The Villa of "Alburquerque" was founded by Don Francisco Cuervo y Valdes, Governor of the Spanish province of New Mexico. It stood on the Camino Real (Royal Road), which ran between Mexico City and . . . — Map (db m45278) HM
New York (New York County), New York — African Burial Ground National MonumentA Place of Remembrance — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
A Place of Remembrance-(left side of the marker) From the 1690s until 1794, an estimated 15,000 enslaved and free Africans were laid to rest in the African Burial Ground. In 1991, during construction of the Ted Weiss Federal Building, 419 human . . . — Map (db m62333) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Grumman F11F (F-11) TigerIntrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
The design of the single-seat Tiger incorporated the Area Rule to reduce transonic and super-sonic drag. Its Coke bottle-shaped fuselage was narrower at the wings and tail, a concept developed by Richard Whitcomb of the National Advisory Committee . . . — Map (db m91945) WM
New York (Queens County), Flushing — Louis Armstrong House
Louis Armstrong House Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m7070) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 81 — King Solomon Lodge
First African American Masonic lodge in N.C.; est. 1865. Erected in 1870, the building was moved here in 1920s. — Map (db m76973) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Welcome to a Wetland
Where land and water meet. Once considered worthless, North Carolina’s wetlands are now recognized as priceless resources for their roles in conserving water and providing habitat for wildlife. What good is a Wetland? . . . — Map (db m76669) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 57 — James E. Shepard
Negro educational and religious leader. Founder of a college (1910), now N.C. Central University, its president to 1947. Grave 1½ miles S.E. — Map (db m69967) HM
North Carolina (Forsyth County), Winston-Salem — J 115 — Tobacco Unionism
Strike by leaf workers, mostly black and female, June 17, 1943, ½ mile W., led to seven years of labor & civil rights activism by Local 22. — Map (db m75569) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Ram Albemarle
The Confederate ironclad Albemarle was outfitted in Halifax with machinery and guns before sailing down river into action, 1864. — Map (db m70528) HM
North Carolina (McDowell County), Marion — Carson House"Horrid Blue Coats" — Stoneman's Raid
(preface) On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m77441) HM
North Carolina (New Hanover County), Wilmington — Residence of Edward B. Dudley
This building was the residence of Edward B. Dudley, first Governor of North Carolina. Elected by the people, in 1836. Here Daniel Webster was entertained by Governor Dudley on May 5, 1847, and here Present William H. Taft was the guest of James . . . — Map (db m77205) HM
North Carolina (Pitt County), Ayden — Fort Fisher HeroChristopher Columbus Bland
A hero of the fight for Fort Fisher is buried here in the churchyard. Pvt. Christopher C. “Kit” Bland, Battery K, 2nd North Carolina Artillery, was serving at the fort, the “Gibraltar of the Confederacy,” when Federal forces . . . — Map (db m70453) HM
North Carolina (Swain County), Cherokee — Cherokee Veterans Park
This park is dedicated to all members of the eastern band of Cherokee Indians who served honorably in the Armed Forces of this Great Nation, and especially to those who died in the effort and to Charles George, the only member of the Eastern Band . . . — Map (db m12929) HM
North Carolina (Wake County), Raleigh — H 33 — Pettigrew Hospital
Site of Confederate hospital. U.S. Army barracks. Confederate Soldiers' Home. 1891-1938. — Map (db m77830) WM
Oregon (Harney County), Burns — Fort HarneyOregon History
Fort Harney, on the former Malheur Indian Reservation, was named for Gen. Wm. S. Harney, who took command of the Military Department of Oregon, Sept. 13, 1858. The fort was established Aug. 10, 1867, and became a permanent Military Post. By order of . . . — Map (db m63026) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), East Smithfield — Smithfield Civil War MonumentWar of 1861
This monument is erected by citizens of this township, to perpetuate the memories of fifty four of its soldiers whose names are hereon inscribed, and who with patriot zeal, left their homes at the call of their country, and lost their lives in its . . . — Map (db m90159) WM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Sayre — World War I Doughboy
Sayre Penna. Our honored dead in 1914-The World War-1918

Archie T. Hatch • Orlando M. Loomis • Eugene F. Murphy • Leo A. Murphy • Arthur V. Drake • Fred D. Skiff • Clarence B. Utter • Elmer D. Jackson • William H. Decatur • Wayne R. Horton . . . — Map (db m90291) WM

Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wyalusing — Wyalusing
Named for an early town of the Munsee Delawares, which occupied the flats south of the present town. In 1760 Munsees under Papoonhank welcomed Post here, on his way toward a great Indian council beyond Allegheny River. — Map (db m90559) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Wysox — Wysox Presbyterian Church
This church was organized October 3, 1791 as Congregational by the Reverend Jabez Culver, a Connecticut missionary.

This was the first church of white people in Pennsylvania north of Wilkes-Barre and the mother of the Towanda Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m90348) HM

Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Summit Hill — World War I Memorial
To the veterans of the World War. Upon right, reliant Against wrong, defiant. — Map (db m86833) WM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), Glenmoore — Springton Manor
The largest reserved estate of the Penns in Chester County. It was first authorized by William Penn as a 10,000 acre tract in 1701. After resurvey in 1730, it contained 8,313 acres, including most of present Wallace Township. The southern boundary . . . — Map (db m84961) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), West Chester — Birmingham Hill
The Battle of Brandywine was the largest and longest battle of the American Revolution • At 4 am, September 11, 1777, British troops marched from Kennett Square towards the colonial capital of Philadelphia. • Gen. Washington positioned many of . . . — Map (db m73804) HM
Pennsylvania (Clinton County), Lock Haven — Clinton County Veterans MemorialFor God, For Country, Forever Honored, Forever Mourned
(Bronze Plaque) American Revolution 1775-1784 Buried in Clinton County-Dedicated 1976 William Baird, James Caldwell, John C. Culvey, Thomas Curts, J. P. De-Hass, William Dunn, Brewster Freeman, Peter Grove, James Hays, John W. Kister, Robert . . . — Map (db m91070) WM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — Hesco BarriersU.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
Hercules Engineering Solutions Consortium (HESCO) Barriers HESCO Barriers are a modern type of gabion currently employed in the battlespaces of Iraq and Afghanistan. HESCO barriers are constructed of Galfan coated steel welded mesh and lined . . . — Map (db m84139) WM
Pennsylvania (Dauphin County), Dauphin — Pennsylvania Slavery
Slavery was entwined with Pennsylvania’s earliest colonial history. Governor William Penn, founder of the colony in 1681, owned eleven enslaved people. A century later, Pennsylvania passed the 1780 Gradual Emancipation law. This allowed for the . . . — Map (db m85972) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Media — Delaware County Courthouse
Delaware County was constituted September 26, 1789. This courthouse was built in 1850 and rebuilt in 1913. It is the sixth of this judicial district in line of direct succession from the first court house in Pennsylvania. — Map (db m83371) HM
Pennsylvania (Erie County), Erie — USS Michigan Anchor
Built in Erie in 1843, USS Michigan (later named Wolverine) was the US Navy’s first iron-hulled ship. Michigan was stationed in Erie, served on the Great Lakes until 1923, scrapped in 1949. — Map (db m61647) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. A.G. Jenkins' Southern cavalry raided Chambersburg June 15-17, 1863, prior to the main invasion; and later led the invading army, June 22-24. Gen. R.E. Lee entered Chambersburg on June 26. — Map (db m84014) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Waynesboro — Snow Hill Cloister
An offshoot of Ephrata Cloister in Lancaster County, deriving its name from the Snowberger family active in its foundation. Composed of widows, widowers, and single persons, with goods held in common, it prospered from 1814 until the Civil War — Map (db m83982) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Alexandria — Hart's Log
The Frankstown Path, highway of early travelers in this region, passed through the settlement of Hart's Log--later called Hartslog, now Alexandria. The place was first named after a hollow log at this site, which the trader John Hart used between . . . — Map (db m90791) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — From Mineral To MetalGreenwood Furnace State Park
The ironmaking process was well-known and cold-blast furnaces built in 18th and 19th century America mimicked designs first used 400 years earlier. A thick stone furnace, shaped like a flat-topped pyramid, served as the place of transformation, . . . — Map (db m90816) HM
Pennsylvania (Huntingdon County), Huntingdon — Greenwood Furnace
Built about 1837 to supply iron to Freedom Forge near Lewistown. Restored stack, the Church, Big House, and store common to iron making communities remain. Works closed 1904, the last to operate in this region. — Map (db m90809) HM
Pennsylvania (Juniata County), Mexico — Fort Bigham
The site of this stockaded blockhouse is a few miles west in Tuscarora Valley. Built about 1754 to protect traders and settlers in this region. In 1756 it was destroyed by Indians — Map (db m90752) WM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — Casting PigsLock Ridge Furnace
This portion of the iron complex was known as the casting house. A chute from the hearth under Stack #7 brought molten iron into the large, open room. The floor of the room was covered in deep sand, which was shaped into molds. As the molten iron . . . — Map (db m85236) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Emmaus — Emmaus
Called by the Indians "Macungie," or "feeding place of the bears." Area settlement begun in 1730's, and a Shelter House was erected in 1734. Moravians established a "Gemein-Ort," or congregational village, and named it after the biblical town of . . . — Map (db m85354) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — George Kern Home
Slatington’s oldest surviving home was erected in 1824 by Nicholas Kern’s grandson George. The structure served as Slatington’s first hotel and was also a popular tavern. Currently this colonial period stone home is a private residence. — Map (db m85654) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Vera Cruz — Indian Jasper Quarries
The most famous of Pennsylvania's Indian quarries may be seen in the woods a few hundred yards southwest of here. Articles made from the jasper were carried by the Indians as far as New England. — Map (db m85304) HM
Pennsylvania (Lycoming County), Muncy — Muncy Mills
The nearby memorial is at the site of this valley's first grist mill. It was built by John Alward about 1772 and burned by Indians 1779. Other mills built on the site in 1783 and 1800. Last mill was used until 1872. — Map (db m89930) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), East Stroudsburg — Fort Hyndshaw
Built in 1756 by order of the Province of Pennsylvania. Northernmost of a line of defenses erected during the French and Indian War. — Map (db m86990) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fagleysville — John F. Hartranft
The birthplace of John F. Hartranft, Civil War hero and Pennsylvania Governor, 1873-79, is to the right on the side road. He reorganized the State Militia as part of the National Guard. — Map (db m84918) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Haverford — 1696 Massey House
Thomas Massey left England on the ketch "Endeavor" arriving at Upland (Chester) 1683. Married Phebe Taylor 1692, bought 900 acres in Marple Township and build this brick house in 1696. — Map (db m81574) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Haverford — Joushua Humphrey
Designer of the frigate Constitution, "Old Ironsides," lived 1803-38 in the Pont Reading House, which stands opposite. The present house was built at dates 1683 to 1813. — Map (db m81492) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), New Hanover — Hanover Lutheran Church
The first German Lutheran Church in America; organized by Daniel Falckner about 1700. From 1742 to 1761 Henry Melchior Muhlenberg served as pastor. Present building, one-quarter mile NE, was erected in 1767. — Map (db m84925) HM
Pennsylvania (Montour County), Washingtonville — Washingtonville Bridge
A pin connected Pratt Pony Truss Bridge spanned the Chillisquaque Creek at this site from 1887-1987. The 73 foot span truss was constructed by the engineering firm of Dean and Westbrook of New York City. The patented tubular section Phoenix Column . . . — Map (db m89848) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Walnutport — Floating From Mine to MarketThe Lehigh Canal — 1829-1942
The Lehigh Navigation, built by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, was used to transport anthracite coal from mines in north eastern Pennsylvania to New York, Easton, Philadelphia, and beyond. Workers dug much of the canal by hand, constructing . . . — Map (db m85561) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Church of the Advocate
Here in the 1974 the first eleven women Episcopal priests were ordained. This noted Gothic Revival church, built 1887-97, served a growing African American community after 1930. Host to major Black Power events of the 1960s and '70s. National . . . — Map (db m82496) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Father Divine
Rev. Major J. Divine, civil rights leader of the 1930s, established Cooperative Economic Plan, providing life's necessities at nominal prices. Divine Lorraine Hotel here, built 1894 and acquired in 1948, was one of the first integrated hotels of its . . . — Map (db m82528) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Julian Francis Abele
The first Black graduate of the University of Pennsylvania's School of Architecture, Abele was the chief designer for the nationally known architectural firm of Horace Trumbauer, whose commissions during Abele's career included the Philadelphia . . . — Map (db m82610) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church
Founded on ground purchased by Richard Allen in 1791, this congregation is the mother church of the African Methodist denomination. The present structure, erected in 1889, replaces three earlier churches on this site. — Map (db m81660) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Stephen Decatur
Famed U.S. Navy officer. Born 1779 in Maryland, he grew up in a house on this site. Celebrated for his role in the Tripolitan War, 1804; capture of H.M.S. Macedonian, 1812; and the subduing of the Barbary powers, 1815. Killed in a duel in 1820. . . . — Map (db m81317) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Strawberry Mansion
Strawberry Mansion acquired its name in the mid-nineteenth century when it was a dairy and restaurant serving strawberries and cream. In its earlier days it had been property of Philadelphia judges.

In 1783 Judge William Lewis, a Quaker, . . . — Map (db m83382) HM

Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — The Dunbar Theatre
Erected here by Black bankers, this theater was home to the Lafayette Players, popular vaudeville entertainers. Later bought by white interests and renamed the Lincoln, it hosted major Black performers from the 1920s into the 1940s. — Map (db m81592) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Tribal Chieftains
In January of 1793 a delegation of tribal chieftains from what are now Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan arrived in Philadelphia, the U.S. capital. The Indians had been invited by President George Washington to a Peace Council to resolve boundary . . . — Map (db m60993) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Centre Square Drinking FountainMilford National Historic District-Registered 1998 — Historic Preservation Trust of Pike County
Sculpted from blocks of bluestone in 1911 for the Village Improvement Association. This fountain was erected originally at curbside, to provide drinking water to horses in front, pedestrians in back and dogs on either side. — Map (db m89641) HM
Pennsylvania (Schuylkill County), Tamaqua — Little Schuylkill Railroad
The first railroad in the nation to haul anthracite coal by steam locomotive was built in 1829. It connected the rich coal mines of the Tamaqua area with the Schuylkill Canal at Port Clinton. The 21-mile line opened in 1831 and is still in operation . . . — Map (db m86747) HM
Pennsylvania (Sullivan County), Muncy Valley — Merritt Field Airport
Begun, 1999-First Landing 2001-Named for Merritt J. Jenkins-Son of George Merritt Jenkins, builder. Dedicated to all the old planes still flying that this facility makers possible. — Map (db m89973) HM
Pennsylvania (Tioga County), Wellsboro — United States Civilian Conservation CorpsColton State Park
Born at our nation’s lowest point, the CCC rebuilt a land and its people. We all owe thanks to the thousands of men who helped build Pennsylvania’s parks and reforest its hills.

Beginning late in 1929, the Great Depression was a desperate time . . . — Map (db m90048) HM

Pennsylvania (Wyoming County), Tunkhannock — Walter B. Tewksbury(1876-1968)
Winner of five medals in track & field, 1900 Olympic Games in Paris (two gold, two silver, one bronze). Co-holder, world record, 100 - meter dash, 1900. Member, National Track & Field Hall of Fame and Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame. At the . . . — Map (db m90584) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Seven Valleys — Glatfelter StationHeritage Trail County Park — York County, Pennsylvania
Casper Glattfelder and his family migrated from Glattfelden, Switzerland in 1743 and settled across this creek in Cordorus Township about 1747.

Through the generosity of Arthur J. Glatfelter and in cooperation with the Board of Directors of the . . . — Map (db m84243) HM

Puerto Rico (Toa Baja Municipality), Palo Seco — CrossfireFuego cruzado
Spain built the stone fort to your right, called San Juan de la Cruz, or “El Cañuelo”, to create a deadly crossfire with the guns of Castillo San Felipe del Morro on the other side of the bay.

Just imagine yourself as an English . . . — Map (db m60032) HM

Puerto Rico (Toa Baja Municipality), Palo Seco — Defending San Juan
The small fort to your right, called San Juan de la Cruz, or El Canuelo, helped protect the entrance to San Juan Harbor. It is part of an extensive fortification system built by Spain over a 250-year period. The major surviving parts of these . . . — Map (db m59975) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Elisha Johnson Housec. 1750
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66366) HM
South Dakota (Fall River County), Hot Springs — Paha Sapa LimestoneWind Cave National Park — Natinal Park Service
All Black Hills caves have formed in this layer 300 to 600 feet thick. Originally it was laid down on a shallow seabottom about 300 million years ago. Its name derives from the Lakota word meaning "Black Hills". — Map (db m70978) HM
South Dakota (Oglala Lakota County), Wounded Knee — Chief Big Foot Massacre Monument
This monument erected by surviving relatives and other Ogallala and Cheyenne River Sioux Indians in memory of the Chief Big Foot Massacre December 29, 1890. Col. Forsyth was in command of the U.S. Troops. Big Foot was a great chief of the Sioux . . . — Map (db m122747) WM
South Dakota (Pennington County), Interior — Journey to Wounded KneeBadlands National Park
Journey to Wounded Knee-December 24, 1890 a bitter Christmas Eve wind rattled the wagon in which Minneconjou Chief Big Foot lay waiting while his people cleared a pass down the Badlands Wall. Several hours of hard work with axes and spades made the . . . — Map (db m62104) HM
Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Cleveland During the Civil WarStruggle for Control
When the Civil War began, Cleveland was a divided community with most residents being sympathetic to the Union. Confederate troops occupied the area in 1861 to control the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad and to protect the vitally important . . . — Map (db m69342) HM
Tennessee (Campbell County), LaFollette — Big Creek GapNatural Opening
The road in front of you winds through Big Creek Gap, one of the few natural openings through the Cumberland Mountains in the region. During the Civil War, this corridor was much narrower and steeper, and even lightly loaded wagons found travel . . . — Map (db m74229) HM
Tennessee (Dekalb County), Alexandria — Morgan in AlexandriaPreparing for a Raid
From late in 1862 to mid-1863, Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg fortified his defenses in Middle Tennessee while Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans reinforced his army. To disrupt the extended Federal communication and supply lines, late in 1862 Bragg . . . — Map (db m74322) HM
Tennessee (Dickson County), Dickson — Civil War RailroadMile Post 42 / Smeedsville Station — Dickson Station
Continued attacks by Confederate guerrillas destroying Union supply ships on the Cumberland River at Yellow Creek and Harpeth Shoals, as they attempted to supply Nashville, necessitated General U.S. Grant to authorize the construction of a safe . . . — Map (db m81510) HM
Tennessee (Dickson County), Dickson — Mile Post 42The U.S. Military Railroad
The railroad in front of you was part of a vital transportation network for the Federal army during the Civil War. W.H.Crutcher had purchased 533 acres and constructed a sixteen-by-sixteen foot log structure here in December 1860. After occupying . . . — Map (db m68931) HM
Tennessee (Franklin County), Cowan — Tullahoma CampaignJune 24-July 4, 1863 — Anatomy of a Campaign
In late June of 1863, Union Major General William S. Rosecrans launched a massive offensive from his base in Murfreesboro in an attempt to drive Confederate General Braxton Bragg’s 43,000-man Army of Tennessee from its entrenchments at . . . — Map (db m81535) HM
Tennessee (Grainger County), Bean Station — Bean Station
This was one of the first settlements in Tennessee. William Bean and Daniel Boone camped here in 1775. Indians massacred the first settler, a farmer named English. Permanently settled by William II, Robert, George and Jessie Bean, who were granted . . . — Map (db m69549) HM
Tennessee (Humphreys County), New Johnsonville — Battle of JohnsonvilleUp in Smoke
Johnsonville was a major Federal supply depot on the Tennessee River at the western terminus of the Nashville and Northwestern Railroad, completed in May 1864. Col. Charles R. Thompson commanded the 2,000-man garrison here. The 12th, 13th, and 100th . . . — Map (db m74390) HM
Tennessee (Lincoln County), Fayetteville — Lincoln County in the Civil WarA Confederate Stronghold
Lincoln County was a Confederate stronghold during the Civil War. Local men formed companies for the Confederate army before Tennessee seceded. In April 1861, Col. Peter B. Turney organized the 1st Confederate Infantry Regiment (first in the state) . . . — Map (db m82217) HM
Tennessee (Madison County), Denmark — Battle of Britton LaneAn Unexpected Clash
In August 1862, Confederate Gen. Sterling Price ordered Gen. Frank C. Armstrong to conduct a raid with his 2,000-man cavalry brigade to determine the strength and location of Union forces in West Tennessee. The raiders left Guntown, Mississippi, on . . . — Map (db m82228) HM
Tennessee (McMinn County), Niota — 2A 80 — Harry Thomas Burn1895-1977
A native of Niota, Harry T. Burn held public office for much of his adult life; State House of Representatives, 1919-23; State Senate 1949-53; State Planning Commission 1952-58; delegate of Roane County to the Constitutional Conventions of 1953, . . . — Map (db m82260) HM
Tennessee (Monroe County), Sweetwater — Sweetwater DepotStrategic Target — Knoxville Campaign
(preface) On November 4, 1863, to divert Federal forces from Chattanooga, Confederate Gen. James Longstreet led two reinforced divisions from the city to attack Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s garrison in Knoxville. Burnside confronted . . . — Map (db m69367) HM
Tennessee (Monroe County), Sweetwater — The Tennessee Overhill ExperienceFrom Furs to Factories — Sweetwater-An Historic Commercial Center
Prosperous farmer, railroad investor, and legislator, I. T. Lenoir deeded a track of his farm in 1858 for the location of a railroad depot on the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad which bisected the fledging town of Sweetwater. Within a few years, . . . — Map (db m117113) HM
Tennessee (Monroe County), Tellico Plains — Coker CreekCaught in the Middle
Here in the shadow of the Unicoi Mountains, the Coker Creek community suffered the effects of the Civil War. The conflict closed the lucrative gold mines here and brought devastation and terror to the inhabitants. Both the Union and the Confederate . . . — Map (db m82296) HM
Tennessee (Monroe County), Vonore — Unicoi Turnpike TrailA Path Through Time
The path now known as the Unicoi Turnpike Trail has existed for over 1,000 years. The earliest European maps of the area note the trail as a connector between Cherokee Territories and the coastal ports of Charleston and Savannah. In 1756 British . . . — Map (db m82303) HM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Gallatin — Rose MontTribute to Major George Blackmore
This monument marks Rose Mont and pays tribute to Major George Blackmore, father of Catherine Blackmore Guild, wife of Josephus Conn Guild, owner and builder of Rose Mont. Blackmore served in the Revolutionary War from 1777-1781. He came to . . . — Map (db m68406) HM WM
Tennessee (Sumner County), Portland — 3B 49 — Cold Spring Schoolcirca 1857-1933
2.8 miles northeast is the site of Cold Spring School. It was built on land donated in May 1857 by Thomas Baskerville for a school and meetinghouse. Early in the Civil War, it was used by Camp Trousdale as a military hospital. There, in 1866, David . . . — Map (db m68599) HM
Tennessee (Tipton County), Randolph — Twin DefensesForts Randolph and Wright
The village of Randolph played a significant early role in the Confederate defense of the Mississippi River. Here in April 1861, the state built training camps for the Provisional Army of Tennessee that Gov. Isham G. Harris had established. As part . . . — Map (db m74747) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — McGavock Confederate Cemetery
After the Battle of Franklin, November 30, 1864, the Union Army withdrew into Nashville. Casualties of over 8,000 Union and Confederate soldiers lay upon the field. In pursuit of the withdrawing Union forces, Confederate General John Bell Hood left . . . — Map (db m69042) HM
Tennessee (Williamson County), Franklin — Willow Plunge
Opened in 1924, this was the largest outdoor concrete swimming pool in the South. Willow Plunge was owned, and for many years operated, by the Claiborne Kinnard family. Water was piped 1,023 feet from a spring to the willow-shaded double pool which . . . — Map (db m69031) HM
Tennessee (Wilson County), Lebanon — Seawell Hill CampA deathlike stillness in Lebanon — Wheeler's 1864 Raid
You are standing on Seawell Hill, where Confederate Gen. Joseph Wheeler’s cavalrymen camped during their raid through Tennessee. They had destroyed parts of the railroad to Chattanooga then moved north up the Tennessee River Valley, damaging the . . . — Map (db m68381) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Big Bend National Park — Ancient Swamp CreaturesBig Bend National Park
Tiny horses and hippopotamus-like animals once roamed a more humid Big Bend. For a glimpse into the parks tropical past, take a short trail to the fossil bone display and the overlook beyond. — Map (db m95632) HM
Texas (Lubbock County), Lubbock — Congressional Medal of Honor RecipientsCity of Lubbock Cemetery
In 1861, shortly after the first shots of the Civil War, America established the Congressional Medal of Honor. Given for extraordinary valor and sacrifice, it is the highest military decoration presented by the U.S. Government. Three medal . . . — Map (db m106403) HM WM
Virgin Islands, St John — Windmill
If there was a steady breeze, cane was brought to the windmill. Revolving sails turned a central shaft, rotating the rollers and crushing the stalks. Juice ran down the rollers into the gutter and flowed downhill to the factory. The windmill, as . . . — Map (db m60779) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Mount Vernon — Welcome to Mount VernonHome of George and Martha Washington — Restored and maintained by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association (Founded in 1853)
George Washington made Mount Vernon his home from 1754 until his death in 1799. He enlarged the house and expanded his estate from 2,100 to 8,000 and he experimented with dozens of crops, ornamental plants, and trees. Today visitors of Mount Vernon . . . — Map (db m93617) HM
Virginia (Hampton), Phoebus — WY-91 — Camp Hamilton
In this vicinity was situated Camp Hamilton. A large camp of Union troops first occupied in May, 1861. A great military hospital, Hampton Hospital was here. — Map (db m59625) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — 7 — The Watt HouseGaines' Mill Battlefield
Entrenched in three lines on this plateau, the right wing of McClellan's army, withdrawn from Beaver Dam Creek, resisted Confederate attacks on June 27, 1862 until driven back at nightfall by a general assault. — Map (db m14201) HM
Virginia (Isle of Wight County), Smithfield — K-243 — Smithfield
Smithfield, incorporated in 1752, became a busy colonial port and was county seat of Isle of Wight through 1800. British troops under Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold occupied the town on 15 Jan 1781. During the Civil War, a two-day naval engagement . . . — Map (db m98254) HM WM
Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — HawaiiQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Honolulu

The islands were first settled by Polynesians from other Pacific islands by the 9th century. After James Cook first visited the islands in 1778, they were frequented by traders, but the British made on effort to colonize . . . — Map (db m97822) HM

Virginia (James City County), Jamestown — MissouriQuadricentennial Plaza — Jamestown Settlement
Capital-Jefferson City

Permanent settlement in the area was not established by France until the 1730s. In 1763 France ceded this region which was part of the Louisiana territory to Spain, who ceded it back in 1800. France sold the region to . . . — Map (db m98072) HM

Virginia, Norfolk — USS Cole DDG 67"Determined Warrior"
[Rendering of the guided missile destroyer USS COLE] At 1118 on the morning of October 12, 2000, as USS COLE (DDG 67) was refueling in Aden Harbor, Yemen, suicide bombers detonated an explosive-laden boat directly against the port side of . . . — Map (db m51533) HM
Virginia (Northampton County), Cape Charles — A Good StartCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) On June 2, 1608, John Smith and his crew set sail on the first of two voyages exploring the Chesapeake region. Their first stop was the Eastern Shore. At a place near today’s Cape Charles, they saw Indian men fishing with . . . — Map (db m98497) HM
Virginia (Northampton County), Cape Charles — Maritime HighwayKiptopeke State Park
Shipping traffic, commercial fisheries, recreation and tourism industries and the military rely on the Chesapeake Bay for its logistic potential. Native American canoes, colonial sailing ships, 20th century schooners, and modern cargo ships have . . . — Map (db m98665) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-11 — Blandford Church and Cemetery
The brick church on Well’s Hill, now known as Old Blandford Church, was built between 1734 and 1737, the British General Phillips was buried in the churchyard in 1781. In the cemetery is a monument to Captain McRae and the Petersburg Volunteers, who . . . — Map (db m6538) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — “Pleasureland of the East”
In the late 1950s a large scale gambling resort was planned for Freestone Point. The original scheme boasted a luxury hotel, a golf course and country club, marinas, white sand beaches, swimming pools, tennis, and amusement park and more. Much of . . . — Map (db m98122) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Pollution Solution
These two bioretention cells, completed by volunteers in June 2005, are designed to filter run-off from the parking lot, thereby decreasing the pollution entering the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. The drawing below shows how a bioretention cell . . . — Map (db m98104)
Virginia (Sussex County), Stony Creek — K 309-a — Sappony Baptist Church
Sappony Baptist Church, originally called Sappony Meeting House, was erected here in 1773. It was a part of the Kehukee Association, which consisted of churches in North Carolina and Virginia. In 1791, these associations divided along state lines . . . — Map (db m18852) HM
Virginia (York County), Yorktown — West Along Main StreetHistoric Yorktown — Colonial National Historical Park
“York-Town…tho’ but stragglingly built…makes no inconsiderable Figure. You perceive a great Air of Opulence amongst the Inhabitants, who have some of them built themselves Houses, equal in Magnificence to many of our superb ones at St. . . . — Map (db m61611) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Seattle Fisherman's Memorial
Dedicated on October 8, 1988 as a tribute to the men women, their families, and the members of the fishing community who have suffered the loss of life at sea. — Map (db m70739) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Hedgesville — Camp HopkinsMemorial to a Friend
In December 1862, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Kelley stationed detachments of the 54th Pennsylvania and 1st West Virginia Infantry regiments here to guard and repair the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, a main supply route between the Ohio River and the . . . — Map (db m58628) HM
West Virginia (Braxton County), Frametown — America's Guard of Honor
Dedicated to the memory of all Paratroopers and Gliderman who spearheaded all major invasions by dropping behind enemy lines to secure military objectives. "Lest We Forget" whose courage, dedication and traditions make them America's finest. — Map (db m70903) WM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Barboursville — Woody Williams Bridge
Bridge named for Hershel "Woody" Williams, who as a corporal in 3rd Marine Div. during World War II won Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism against the Japanese at Iwo Jima, 23 February 1945. — Map (db m73686) WM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Marshall Memorial Boulevard
On November 14, 1970, a chartered jet crashed on approach to Tri-State Airport near Huntington, claiming the lives of seventy-five members of the Marshall University football team, coaches, fans, pilots & crew. This boulevard, named in honor of . . . — Map (db m73729) HM
West Virginia (Fayette County), Fayetteville — Battle of FayettevilleDefense and Retreat
During the Civil War, Fort Scammon stood in front of you on the hill behind the courthouse. There, on September 10, 1862, Union Col. Edward Siber and the 1,500 men of his 37th Ohio Infantry defended Fayetteville against Confederate Gen. William . . . — Map (db m59214) HM
West Virginia (Harrison County), Clarksburg — Stonewall Jackson BirthplaceOrgins of a Confederate Hero
The house in which Thomas J. Jackson was born on January 21, 1824, stood across the street and halfway down the block to your right. (marked with a bronze plaque). His father struggled to make ends meet and poverty marred Jackson’s childhood. Both . . . — Map (db m58703) HM
West Virginia (Harrison County), Clarksburg — Union Meetings"We intend… to… remain in the Union"
Harrison County was among the first jurisdictions in western Virginia to support the Union. A pro-Union meeting was called for November 24, 1860, at the Clarksburg Courthouse, just after Abraham Lincoln had been elected president and many Southern . . . — Map (db m73418) HM
West Virginia (Jackson County), Kenna — Kenna
Post Office established here July 1, 1880, with Grandville P. Morrison as first postmaster. Named in honor of John Edward Kenna (1848-1893), member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1879-1883), and later elected to the U.S. Senate (1883-93). . . . — Map (db m73672) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Charleston — KA 3/KA 4 — Malden / Booker T. Washington Homeplace
Marker Front: Malden Early salt-making industry that was centered here peaked in the 1850s. In 1755, Mary Ingles and Betty Draper made salt for their Indian captors here at "Buffalo Salt Licks." John Dickinson bought the site in 1785. . . . — Map (db m76880) HM
West Virginia (Lewis County), Weston — Trans-Allegheny Lunatic AsylumNo Asylum from War
When the Civil War began in 1861, the one-story wing on the far left of the building in front of you was all that stood here at the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. The foundation of the main building had been completed; it was used to stable horses . . . — Map (db m58721) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dents Run Covered Bridge
1.5 miles south; erected in 1889 by order of Monongalia County Court. Contract awarded to W. A. Loar with Edward W. Brand as superintendent. Stone abutments built by Loar at cost of $198, with wood framework constructed by Wm. and Joseph Mercer at a . . . — Map (db m73386) HM
West Virginia (Monroe County), Union — Gen. John Echols HouseConfederate General from Union
This is the home of John Echols, lawyer and general in the Confederate army. A graduate of Washington College in Lexington, Virginia, he also attended the Virginia Military Institute and Harvard University. After John Brown’s failed Harpers . . . — Map (db m59264) HM

4040 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3840
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.