Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2493 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2293
 
Keene's Mill Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, February 12, 2006
Keene's Mill Marker
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — About the year 1600 B.C. ...
About the year 1600 B.C., the Falls of Niagara was located at this point in the Niagara River. During the 12,000 year history of the Falls, it has receded from its initial breach of the escarpment at Queenston Height to is present location 3.66 km. . . . — Map (db m79652) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Buried Railway Trestle and Buried Gorge
The cut stone markers are the ends of a buried steel trestle that carried the tracks of the Niagara Falls Park and River Railway. It spanned the ravine created by Bowman’s Creek which eroded the soft glacial debris of the buried gorge of a . . . — Map (db m79563) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Niagara Falls Park and River Railway
The Niagara River Recreation Trail at this point is laid along the former double-track roadbed of the Niagara Falls Park and River Railway. From 1892 to 1932, before there was an auto route along the gorge, this electric railway carried millions of . . . — Map (db m79520) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), Niagara Falls — Stranded Scow
On August 6, 1918, this dumping scow broke loose from its towing tug about 1.6 kilometres (1 mile) upriver, with Gustav F. Lofberg and James N. Harris aboard. The men opened the bottom dumping doors and the scow grounded in the shallow rapids. They . . . — Map (db m79781) HM
Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — Hi Jolly
The famous camel herd with which the name of Hi Jolly is linked constitutes an interesting sidelight of Arizona history. Jefferson Davis (afterward president of the Southern Confederacy), as Secretary of War, approved a plan to experiment with . . . — Map (db m70566) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — USC Urban Legends — USC — University of Southern California
The University of Southern California is rich with story. Its buildings, its faculty, its eminent benefactors and alumni — all are the subject of urban legends that are passed along from student to student, year after year. You may have . . . — Map (db m128413) HM
Colorado (Pueblo County), Pueblo — Fort PuebloSite of Indian Massacre — Dec 25, 1854
This memorial commemorating the Old Pueblo Fort Site erected by The Arkansas Valley & Pueblo Chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution. Dedicated Nov. 17, 1923. On Christmas Day, 1854, a massacre occurred at Fort Pueblo on the . . . — Map (db m64755) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), American University Park — 16 — Winning the WarTop of the Town — Tenleytown Heritage Trail
The U.S. Navy arrived across the street at 3801 Nebraska Avenue during World War II, taking the Colonial style red-brick campus of Mount Vernon Seminary for secret “essential wartime activities.” Soon more than 5,000 workers occupied . . . — Map (db m47787) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Georgetown — Chesapeake & Ohio Canal
Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. Commenced at Georgetown. July 4th 1828. Chief Engineer Benjamin Wright. Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Company, 1850. President James M. Coale. Directors William A. Bradley, Henry Daingerfield, Wm. Cost Johnson, John . . . — Map (db m118) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Shaw — 8 of 14 — The Whitelaw Hotel and “the Duke”City Within a City — Greater U Street Heritage Trail
They found a lobby with fine rugs and potted palms, a richly decorated dining room, comfortable rooms, and convenience shops on the first floor. The Whitelaw was the creation of African America business entrepreneur John Whitelaw Lewis, who . . . — Map (db m41952) HM
Hawaii (Honolulu County), Honolulu — Kawaiaha‘o Landmark
William Charles Lunalilo was the kingdom’s sixth monarch and proved to be very popular from the beginning of his reign. King Kamehameha V had preceded Lunalilo and had died without naming a successor. Therefore Lunalilo was appointed by the . . . — Map (db m13809) HM
Hawaii (Kauai County), Poipu — 4 — Pā‘ū a Laka (Moir Gardens)Kōloa Heritage Trail — Ka Ala Hele Waiwai Ho‘olina o Kōloa — Preserving the Heritage of Po‘ipū & Kōloa
What began as a hobby garden by the Kōloa Plantation manager’s wife became celebrated as one of the world’s best of its kind. Numerous cactus planted in the 1930s thrived in the arid, rocky soil here. Many escaped to surrounding areas to become . . . — Map (db m12797) HM
Illinois (Kankakee County), Bourbonnais — The Durham-Perry Family Legacy
Thomas Durham bought 160 acres on this site in 1835 from Gurdon S. Hubbard. Known as the Jonveau Reserve, the land lay in an area called Bourbonnais Grove. Durham opened 20 acres for cultivation. In January 1836, parts of Cook and Iroquois Counties . . . — Map (db m105729) HM
Indiana (Hancock County), Greenfield — 30.1966.1 — Birthplace of Democratic Party Rooster
The use of the rooster as a Democratic party symbol originated in Greenfield in the 1840 campaign. The rooster was later adopted by the state and national Democratic parties. — Map (db m273) HM
Indiana (Wayne County), Centerville — 89.1962.1 — Oliver P. Morton Home
Residence of Oliver P. Morton, Governor of Indiana during the crucial years of the American Civil War, 1861-65. U.S. Senator, 1867-77. Morton was the first native-born governor of Indiana. — Map (db m264) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Ashland — 921 — Indian Mounds
One and one half miles NE in Central Park is an irregular row of mounds, part of a chain built by prehistoric men who were the forerunners of American Indians. Many of remains of that ancient people which once dotted this area were leveled as . . . — Map (db m126471) HM
Kentucky (Boyd County), Princess — 1010 — Buena Vista Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Buena Vista Furnace Built by William Foster and Co. in 1847, 2¼ miles west, named for Mexican War battle that year. It was an important factor in the Hanging Rock iron industry until dismantled in 1876. Its 1874 production was 4113 tons. Stone . . . — Map (db m126266) HM
Kentucky (Greenup County), Oldtown — 574 — Grave of Lucy Virgin Downs1769–1847 — 1,000 Feet West
The first white child born of American parents west of the Allegheny Mountains—Mrs. Lucy Virgin Downs—was a resident of Oldtown, Greenup County, from 1807 until her death in 1847. She was the daughter of Jeremiah and Lucy Virgin, born . . . — Map (db m126330) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Civil War in Allegany CountyStrategic Location
During the Civil War, thousands of United States soldiers were stationed here in Cumberland and Allegany County to guard against raids and incursions by Confederate forces. Located only about 130 miles from the capital at Washington. . . . — Map (db m1049) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — These Citizens by Subscribing for the Park Stock in 1860
Enabled the city to purchase Druid Hill Thomas Swann, Mayor George S. Brown, Chauncey Brooks, Benjamin Deford, John S. Gittings, William E. Hooper, John H. B. Latrobe, Columbus O'Donnell, John M. Orem, Enoch Pratt, Thomas Winans Park . . . — Map (db m7601) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Deer Park — Cleveland Cottage and Site of Deer Park Hotel
(1 mile south.) The hotel was built by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, opened July 4, 1873, and operated until 1829. Dismantled 1942. President and Mrs. Grover Cleveland spent their honeymoon at the cottage in June, 1886. — Map (db m472) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Grantsville — The Fuller-Baker HouseA Rare Log Building with a Pedigree
This humble log cabin is a rare survivor of a common dwelling built by early settlers on the Allegheny frontier. Built after 1813 as a two-story log building, its large size has led some to believe it was once used as a tavern, giving respite to . . . — Map (db m4921) HM
Maryland (Garrett County), Oakland — Welcome to Dailey’s Park
Dailey’s Park. The Garrett County Historical Society welcomes you to Dailey’s Park. This park is named in honor of John and Ann Rebecca Dailey, who owned and operated the Glades Hotel in Oakland from 1859 to 1881. Historian Thomas Scharf noted . . . — Map (db m466) HM
Maryland (Howard County), Cooksville — Cooksville
Site of a skirmish between confederate cavalry commanded by General J.E.B. Stuart, and Maryland militia on June 29, 1863. The Confederates easily defeated their opposition and continued northwardly towards Hood’s Mill and Westminster. — Map (db m936) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), St. Mary’s City — Thomas Allen Senior
In memory of Thomas Allen Senior, a passenger of the Ark and Dove expedition, member of Assembly of Maryland 1648, Justice of the Peace of Isle of Kent, found shot on the sands of Point Lookout, St. Mary’s County Maryland August 11, 1648. Placed by . . . — Map (db m949) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg
The bloodiest conflict of the War Between the States occurred September 17, 1862, a few miles from this point (turn left in the center of Boonsboro). — Map (db m456) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hancock — The National RoadThe Road that Built the Nation
“. . . so many happy people, restless in the midst of abundance.” —Alexis de Tocqueville, 1840. Americans are an adventurous people. From past to present, they have used feet, horses, wagons, stagecoaches, canals, . . . — Map (db m824) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Wayzata — Wayzata Depot
The Wayzata Depot was built in 1906 by James J. Hill, owner of the Great Northern Railroad. The English Tudor structure, designed by architect Samuel Bartlett, was noted for its hot water heat and indoor plumbing and at one time was considered the . . . — Map (db m83078) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Princeton Bell(One of the very few relics left of the famous war vessel)
This bell was especially cast for the U.S.S. Princeton, which was commanded by our late fellow-townsman, the illustrious Captain Robert F. Stockton, under whose patronage “The Princeton” was built. On February 28th, 1844, she was taken . . . — Map (db m10621) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Netcong — Lake Musconetcong
Created in 1846 as the Morris Canal’s Stanhope Reservoir. This lake supplied water that filled the canal and powered local industries. Mules treading an earthen causeway across the lake pulled boats loaded with coal, iron ore, or freight along a . . . — Map (db m37927) HM
New Mexico (Mora County), Mora — Curanderas — Women Who Heal — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
In New Mexico, women blessed with special knowledge of herbs, household remedies, human health and strong faith are trusted to cure real or imaged maladies. Known as Curanderas, these women have been an integral part of the Hispanic fabric in . . . — Map (db m73273) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Abiquiu — Georgia O’Keeffe(1887–1986) — New Mexico Historic Women Marker Initiative
One of America’s great and most celebrated painters of the twentieth century, Georgia O’Keeffe is known for her unique depictions of natural and architectural forms. She began spending summers painting in Northern New Mexico in 1929 and moved from . . . — Map (db m73124) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Sapello — Hermit’s PeakElevation– 10,212
From 1863 to 1867, this mountain was the home of Juan Maria Agostini, an Italian penitent who lived there as a hermit, carving crucifixes and religious emblems which he traded for food. Leaving this area, he moved to the Organ Mountains, in southern . . . — Map (db m73309) HM
New Mexico (Sandoval County), Jemez Pueblo — Pueblo of Jémez
Jémez is the sole surviving pueblo of the seven in the “provencia de los Hemes” noted by Spaniards in 1541, and the last at which the Towa language is still spoken. In 1838, the remaining inhabitants of Pecos Pueblo moved here. The . . . — Map (db m73254) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 18 — 1982 — Commemorative Walkway Park
While responding to a request to give the Last Rites to a dying man, Franciscan Father Reynaldo Rivera, rector at St. Francis Cathedral, was kidnapped and brutally murdered, sending Santa Fe and the entire state into shock. Ironically, Father Rivera . . . — Map (db m76317) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 19 — 1985 — Commemorative Walkway Park
By proclamation of the City Council, Santa Fe celebrated its 375th anniversary. During the year, this property was donated to the city by Archbishop Robert Sanchez and the Santa Fe Fiesta Council. These gifts, together with appropriations by the . . . — Map (db m76319) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — A Two Way StreetAmelia White Park — Santa Fe National Historic Trail
The Santa Fe Trail passed through what is now Amelia White Park. The paved road to the right, Old Santa Fe Trail, follows the path and ruts of the original trail route, whose travelers came from a variety of backgrounds. From the start, Hispanic . . . — Map (db m76487) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — Captain Diego Arias de Quiros
In 1697 this property was granted to Captain Diego Arias de Quiros by Spanish royal decree for his part in the reconquest of New Mexico with De Vargas. In 1879 bought by L. Bradford Prince, later Territorial Governor. In 1942 bought by Field estate . . . — Map (db m55706) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 574 — Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968)
(side one) Four Sisters of Loretto, Mother Magdalen Hayden and Sisters Roberta Brown, Rosana Dant and Catherine Mahoney, arrived in Santa Fe from Kentucky on September 26, 1852. In January 1853 they established Our Lady of Light Academy, . . . — Map (db m119764) HM
New Mexico (Taos County), Ojo Caliente — Santa Cruz† † †
The Santa Cruz Catholic Church was built after 1793 and was licensed on January 13, 1811, and blessed on January 3, 1812. The restoration of the historic Santa Cruz Catholic Church of Ojo Caliente, New Mexico, began in April, 1991, by the . . . — Map (db m64962) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Brown Building
This ten story neo-renaissance loft building, designed by New York architect John Wooley, was built in 1900-01 for Joseph J. Asch. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory occupied the building's top three floors. In 1909, Triangle employees initiated the . . . — Map (db m54907) HM
New York (Westchester County), Tarrytown — Asbury M. E. Church
Founded 1796 by Rev. John Barnet Matthias, itinerant preacher. Church first incorporated in 1807. This building erected 1837. — Map (db m34651) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Belville — D-24 — Robert Howe
Major General in the Revolution, commander of the American Army in the South., 1776–78. His home stood 17 miles S. — Map (db m6320) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Oak Island — D-62 — Fort Caswell
Seized by N.C. Militia three months before firing on Fort Sumter. Governor Ellis ordered its return to Federal Authority; three miles east. — Map (db m5834) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Fort JohnstonGuardian of the Cape Fear River
Confederate Lifeline. On January 9, 1861, as secession fever swept the South, an armed body of civilians overwhelmed Fort Johnston’s lone occupant, Ordinance Sgt. James Reilly, and demanded the keys. Reilly quickly surrendered them and received . . . — Map (db m4761) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Southport — Old Jail
On February 27, 1904, ground was broken for the “new” jail. Contractor A.J. Robbins received the contract with a low bid of $6,738. Its construction is “a concrete foundation with brick walls, laid in 1:6 bond constructed with a . . . — Map (db m6095) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — Fort Anderson
Large Confederate fort stands 2 mi. E. After a strong Union attack it was evacuated Feb. 18, 1865, resulting in the fall of Wilmington. — Map (db m6438) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — D-53 — Orton Plantation
House built c. 1725, subsequent additions. Home first of Roger Moore, later of Gov. Benjamin Smith, still later of James Sprunt. ¾ miles east. — Map (db m6448) HM
North Carolina (Brunswick County), Winnabow — D-55 — St. Philips Church
Anglican, built under act of 1751. Graves of Governors Arthur Dobbs and Benjamin Smith and U.S. Justice Alfred Moore. Ruins 2 mi. S.E. — Map (db m6467) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Grays Creek — I-59 — Dunn’s Creek Quaker Meeting
Started about 1746; joined yearly meeting, 1760; discontinued about 1781. Site and cemetery are 2.5 miles S.E. — Map (db m1946) HM
North Carolina (Granville County), Butner — G-105 — Camp Butner
World war II infantry training camp; housed Axis prisoners of war. Named for N.C. native, Gen. Henry W. Butner. — Map (db m27531) HM
North Carolina (Granville County), Oxford — G-56 — Nat’l Rochester1752-1831
Officer in Revolution. Member, N.C. Provincial Congress & legislature. Founded Rochester, N.Y., 1811. Home was nearby. — Map (db m841) HM
North Carolina (Granville County), Stovall — G-1 — John Penn—1740–1788—
One of North Carolina’s three signers of the Declaration of Independence. His home stood three miles northeast. — Map (db m27414) HM
North Carolina (New Hanover County), Castle Hayne — D-22 — Early Drawbridge
One of the few drawbridges in the American colonies was built near here by Benjamin Heron about 1768. Destroyed by British troops, 1781. — Map (db m29204) HM
North Carolina (Pender County), Burgaw — D-18 — S. S. Satchwell
A founder of State Medical Society, 1849, head of Confederate Hospital at Wilson, first president of the State Board of Health, 1879. Home stood here. — Map (db m30271) HM
North Carolina (Robeson County), Lumberton — First Hebrew Congregation
Robeson County’s first Hebrew congregation was established on this site circa 1908. — Map (db m5295) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Barnesville — B&O Railroad Tunnel
You are standing over a 423 foot man-made sandstone tunnel built by the railroad between 1864 and 1870. Located on the Pittsburgh-Columbus main line, up to 37 trains a day passed under East Main Street during the railroad’s heyday. The station, . . . — Map (db m21012) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bridgeport — 4-7 — Historic Bridgeport
Colonel Ebenezer Zane, one of the founders of Wheeling, laid out the village that became Bridgeport in 1806 on the site of Fort Kirkwood (1789). Originally named Canton, it acquired its present name after the bridge to Wheeling Island was built. The . . . — Map (db m515) HM
Ohio (Columbiana County), Columbiana — 8-15 — Log House Museum
Joshua Dixon selected this site in 1805 as the center for Columbiana. The first local post office, established at this museum location in 1809, pioneered free mail delivery in 1837. The museum, an early log home in the village, was moved here . . . — Map (db m268) HM
Ohio (Coshocton County), Coshocton — Delaware Nation Council House
Goschachgunk (Blackbear Town), now Coshocton, was the capital city of the Delaware Nation. On this parkway stood their Council House. In this House on March 9, 1777, a Great Council of the Delawares, under the leadership of Chief White Eyes, met and . . . — Map (db m300) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Bexley — Bexley
Named after Bexley County of Kent, England. “Bullitt Park” in this “refugee tract” became a residential section in April 1891. The Village of Bexley was incorporated June 13, 1908, and the first Council met August 10. A . . . — Map (db m20510) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Columbus Monument
Christopher Columbus, an Italian navigator, launched four voyages of discovery to the new world. 1492. The spirit of discovery has the power to change the course of human history as demonstrated by the voyages of Christopher Columbus, . . . — Map (db m9846) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Flytown
Flytown was democracy’s melting pot for the city of Columbus. But even more important it became known as a port-of-entry for the immigrant settlers of Central Ohio. New arrivals found friends and relatives who guided them through the initial . . . — Map (db m42202) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 83-25 — Tod Barracks, 1863
One of five Civil War military posts in Columbus, Tod Barracks, named in honor of Governor David Tod, was built in 1863 as the headquarters for military administration in central Ohio. Necessitated by Lincoln’s call for 300,000 new troops, the post . . . — Map (db m9834) HM
Ohio (Gallia County), Cheshire — 21-27 — Grandma Gatewood
Grandma Gatewood. In 1953, at the age of 67, Emma Rowena “Grandma” Gatewood became the first woman to hike the 2,050 mile Appalachian Trail alone and in one season. The Gallia County, Ohio resident hiked the Appalachian Trail . . . — Map (db m122892) HM
Ohio (Guernsey County), Cambridge — The First Methodist Church
Here the first Methodist Church was organized, 1808, in the home of Thomas Sarchet, leader of the original settlers from the Island of Guersey. — Map (db m1047) HM
Ohio (Hocking County), Logan — 6-37 — Tessa Sweazy WebbFounder of Ohio Poetry Day
Born in 1886 on a farm near Logan, Tessa Sweazy Webb was a teacher at the Hocking County Children’s Home where she began writing poetry. By 1924 she had become well known across the state and nation for her published works. Under Webb’s successful . . . — Map (db m11550) HM
Ohio (Jackson County), Jackson — James A. RhodesGovernor, State of Ohio — 1963-1971 — 1975-1983
•Established Ohio’s System of Two-Year & Technical Colleges • Former President of the American Athletic Union “AAU” • Increased state support for medical education • “Jim Rhodes is the fastest wit I’ve ever met.” . . . — Map (db m123814) HM
Ohio (Morgan County), Stockport — 2-58 — Brick Church and Cemetery
The Windsor Township Baptist Association was organized January in 1818 by Elder William Davis with 35 members who met in homes, barns and schoolhouses. At the death of the six-year-old granddaughter of Samuel and Tabitha Davis Henery, this plot . . . — Map (db m123328) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — 10-64 — Jacob Miller’s Tavern
In 1805, for $1.50 an acre, Jacob Miller purchased this property in the Congressional Land Office in Chillicothe, capital of the new state of Ohio. He and Somerset co-founder John Finck then each built a tavern on either side of town along the . . . — Map (db m122410) HM
Ohio (Tuscarawas County), New Philadelphia — 3-79 — The History of Tuscarawas County Courthouses
When David Knisely, the founder of New Philadelphia, first arrived in the Tuscarawas Valley on August 27, 1803, he found a sparsely populated, pristine wilderness. Five years later the state legislature approved a bill organizing Tuscarawas County . . . — Map (db m292) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Beverly — 4-84 — Water Power on the Muskingum River
Luke Chute is the site of an early mill that harnessed river power. About 1815, Luke Emerson and Samuel White built a dam part way across the river. This created a rapid between the shore and the end of the dam, the chute. Here they constructed . . . — Map (db m121906) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Coal Run — 8-84 — Round Bottom Schoolhouse / Round Bottom Cemetery
Round Bottom Schoolhouse. Settlement came to Round Bottom in early 1795 following the end of the Indians Wars in what would become Ohio (1791-1795). Pioneers Allen Devol, David Wilson, Nathaniel Cushing, Peter Shaw, and Andrew Story came . . . — Map (db m121904) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Stephen Collins FosterAmerican Composer — 1826–1864
As a young man, Stephen Foster lived opposite this site on Union Avenue and, with his family, regularly enjoyed the park. Here he composed the music for his first published song, “Open Thy Lattice Love,” which was dedicated to a . . . — Map (db m76948) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Christ Episcopal Church
Sesquicentennial (1850-2000). Oldest continuously used church in New Brighton. Outstanding example of English Small Gothic Architecture in America. The church has a collection of superb stained glass windows by Tiffany. — Map (db m132) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — 29 — The City Tavern — Independence Hall National Historical Park
Completed on the eve of the American Revolution to serve the elite of Philadelphia, the City Tavern soon hosted the elite of an emerging American nation. The City Tavern, like many other 18th Century taverns, was more than a “bar.” . . . — Map (db m51219) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Claysville — William Holmes McGuffey
Educator and author of the famed McGuffey Eclectic Readers for grade schools, was born five miles SW of here, Sept. 23, 1800. First published in 1836, the Readers sold 122 million copies during the next 85 years and were used in some 35 states. . . . — Map (db m754) HM
Pennsylvania (Washington County), Washington — Washington
Laid out in 1781 by John and William Hoge. Site of Indian Catfish Camp. Boro charter, 1810; city, 1823. National Road center and rich in historic buildings and associations. Named for George Washington. — Map (db m815) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), York Township — York Imperial Apple
Here, at a nursery located on Springwood Farms, a new variety of apple was propagated by Jonathan Jessop in 1820. In 1855 it was named the “York Imperial.” It became a leading variety which was widely grown in the U.S. — Map (db m5907) HM
Puerto Rico (San Juan Municipality), San Juan — Casa Natal de Don Ramón Power y GiraltBirthplace of Don Ramón Power y Giralt
En esta casa nació en 1775 Don Ramón Power y Giralt diputado por Puerto Rico y Primer Vicepresidente de las Cortes de Cádiz (1810–1813) donde logró importantes reformas sociales, políticas y económicas en defensa de los derechos de su patria y . . . — Map (db m74329) HM
Puerto Rico (San Juan Municipality), San Juan — Noel Estrada“En mi Viejo San Juan”
En este lugar (antigua Barbería Piñol) el compositor Noel Estrada ensayó por primera vez con el Trío Vegabajeño la canción “En mi Viejo San Juan,” grabada en 1946. English translation: In this place (the former Barbershop . . . — Map (db m74327) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-22 — Bethel Church
This African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first separate black church in Georgetown County. It was established by the Rev. A.T. Carr shortly after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. The church purchased this property . . . — Map (db m7244) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-49 — Kaminski House
This house, probably built between 1750 an 1800, was for many years the home of Harold Kaminski (1886–1951), Georgetown County commissioner, mayor 1930–35, and U.S. Navy officer, and his wife Julia Bossard Pyatt (d. 1972). The house was . . . — Map (db m98297) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-12 — Sergeant McDonald
Here Sgt. McDonald bayoneted the fleeing Maj. Gainey, following the defeat of the Tories under Major Gainey by the Americans under Col. Peter Horry. This bloody skirmish took place, January, 1781, between the Sampit and the Black River roads. — Map (db m7474) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — South Carolina’s Third Oldest City
Founded in 1729, Georgetown is the third oldest city in South Carolina and was named for George, Prince of Wales, who later became King George II. Settled by migrating families from Charleston, the colonial residents made their livelihood as . . . — Map (db m9971) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Pawleys Island — 22-14 — Joseph Alston
Joseph Alston (1779–1816) was educated at the College of Charleston and at Princeton. He inherited The Oaks Plantation and in 1801, married Theodosia, daughter of Aaron Burr. Alston was a member of the S.C. House (1802–12), its speaker . . . — Map (db m16512) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Marion — 34-10 — Old Town Hall and Opera House
This brick building is a fine vernacular interpretation of the Classic Revival style. Completed in 1892, the construction was financed through a $10,000 bond issue; this included an artesian well nearby. The lower floor contained a council room, . . . — Map (db m25086) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Mullins — 34-9 — Mullins Depot / Mullins
Mullins Depot. The town of Mullins, first known as Mullins Depot, grew up as a result of the opening of the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad in 1854. Land for the railroad’s buildings and for the right-of-way was given here by William S. . . . — Map (db m28005) HM
South Carolina (Marion County), Nichols — Drowning Creek
Drowning Creek the original name of Lumber River arising in NC with dangerous undercurrents, flowing past Nichols, SC, through Marion County, that was originally old Georgetown District and Liberty County. A crucial part in the defeat of the Tories . . . — Map (db m5085) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Rhems — 45-6 — Black Mingo – Willtown / Black Mingo Baptist Church
Black Mingo – Willtown By 1760, Charles Woodmason had established a store near here, following a 1745 Act of the General Assembly that provided for clearing of the watercourses at the head of Black Mingo Creek. Soon thereafter, schooners . . . — Map (db m17005) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Sioux Falls — Frederick Manfred’s “Siouxland”
This spot is near the center of an area called “Siouxland,” so named by writer Frederick F. Manfred (1912–1994). Manfred established a distinct identity for this region, the drainage basin of the Big Sioux River. It includes parts . . . — Map (db m92175) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Texas City — The Texas City Disaster
On April 16, 1947, three ships--the "Grandcamp", the "High Flyer", and the "Wilson B. Keene"--were docked in the Texas City port. They were loaded with cargo, including ammonium nitrate fertilizer, bound for Europe to assist in the Post-World War II . . . — Map (db m52773) HM
Virginia (Accomack County), Tangier — Welcome To Historic Tangier Island
For almost 250 years the people of Tangier have wrested a living and a lifestyle from the waters that surround them. Most of their days have been occupied with family, work, church, and the other normal pursuits in which we all engage. But they have . . . — Map (db m97723) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Afton — Z-20 — Nelson County / Albemarle County
Nelson County. In the foothills of Virginia’s Piedmont, Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781. The county seat is Lovingston. The . . . — Map (db m4030) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Batesville — GA-40 — Staunton and James River Turnpike
The Staunton and James River Turnpike ran through here at Batesville and stretched for 43½ miles from Staunton to Scottsville. Construction began in 1826 and was completed by 1830. The turnpike provided a direct route for Shenandoah Valley . . . — Map (db m21696) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Here on December the tenth MDCCCLXIX the Kappa Sigma Fraternity was founded by William Grisby McCormick • George Miles Arnold • John Covert Boyd • Edmund Law Rogers • Frank Courtney Nicodemus. Manet Mansuraque Est.Map (db m8812) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — William Holding Echols — 1859–1934
William Holding Echols (1859–1934), Professor of Mathematics, lived in this pavilion. By precept and example, he taught many generations of students with ruthless insistence that the supreme values are self respect, integrity of mind, contempt . . . — Map (db m62645) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Ivy — W-161 — Birthplace of Meriwether Lewis
Half a mile north was born, 1774, Meriwether Lewis, of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, sent by Jefferson to explore the far west, 1804–1806. The expedition reached the mouth of the Columbia River, November 15, 1805. — Map (db m1795) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Ivy — W-162 — Jackson’s Valley Campaign
Late in April 1862, Maj. Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson marched his army out of the Shenandoah Valley through the Blue Ridge Mountains to deceive Union Maj. Gen. John C. Fremont into thinking he was headed for Richmond. On 3 May, . . . — Map (db m1797) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Lindsay — JE-6 — Maury’s School
Just north was a classical school conducted by the Rev. James Maury, rector of Fredericksville Parish from 1754 to 1769. Thomas Jefferson was one of Maury’s students. Matthew Fontaine Maury, the “Pathfinder of the Seas,” was Maury’s . . . — Map (db m17459) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — GA-35 — Barclay House and Scottsville Museum
Here stands the Barclay House, built about 1830, later the home of Dr. James Turner Barclay, inventor for the U. S. Mint and missionary to Jerusalem. He founded the adjacent Diciples Church in 1846 and served as its first preacher. It is now the . . . — Map (db m17995) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Simeon — FL-8 — Ash Lawn – Highland
This estate was the home of James Monroe, fifth president of the United States. In 1793, James and Elizabeth Kortright Monroe purchased 1,000 acres adjoining Jefferson’s Monticello. Called Highland, the plantation, eventually totaling 3,500 acres, . . . — Map (db m23437) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Alleghany — Z-223 — Alleghany County Va. / West VirginiaArea 458 Square Miles /
Alleghany County Va. Area 458 square miles. Formed in 182, from Bath, Botetourt and Monroe, and named for the Alleghany Mountains. At Fort Mann a battle took place between settlers and Indians led by Cornstalk, 1763. West . . . — Map (db m84057) HM
Virginia (Alleghany County), Cliftondale Park — L-3 — Douthat State Park
This park was developed by the National Park Service, Interior Department, through the Civilian Conservation Corps, in conjunction with the Virginia Conservation Commission. It covers nearly 4500 acres and was opened, June 15, 1936. It lies in a . . . — Map (db m84039) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — Williams Viaduct
This bridge was erected by Norfolk & Western Railway Co., Chesepeake & Ohio Railway Co., Southern Railway Co., City of Lynchburg, Va. Begun 1916. Completed 1918. Bridge Commissioners Ernest Williams, Chairman; William King, Jr.; John P. Pettyjohn. — Map (db m46534) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Arlington — 17 — Fort Berry
Historical Site Defenses of Washington 1861-1865 Fort Berry Immediately to the west stood Fort Berry, a redoubt constructed in 1863 at the north flank of the defenses of Alexandria, but also flanking the Columbia Turnpike and the Arlington Line . . . — Map (db m5154) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Churchville — W-156 — James Edward Hanger
Born near Churchville on 25 Feb. 1843, Hanger joined the Churchville Cavalry at Phillipi, W.Va., on 2 June 1861, where the next morning he was wounded. The resulting amputation of his leg was probably the first of the Civil War. He convalesced at . . . — Map (db m15905) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Fort Defiance — A-100 — Augusta Military Academy
Soon after the Civil War ended in 1865, Confederate veteran Charles S. Roller began teaching at the Old Stone Church nearby at Ft. Defiance. By 1874 he had founded Augusta Male Academy and incorporated military discipline into its classical . . . — Map (db m11900) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), Middlebrook — A-106 — Mount Tabor Lutheran Church
Shenandoah Valley circuit-riding preacher Paul Henkel formed Mount Tabor Lutheran Church about 1785, several miles to the east. It shared a log building with St. John’s, a Lutheran and Reformed union congregation. Under the direction of David . . . — Map (db m50578) HM
Virginia (Augusta County), New Hope — A-111 — Battle of Piedmont
On 5 June 1864, Confederate Brigadier General William E, “Grumble” Jones deployed his 5,600-man force to stop Union Major General David Hunter’s advance on Staunton. The main battle line formed just south of here. Jones repulsed two . . . — Map (db m108882) HM
Virginia (Bath County), Hot Springs — Virginia Hot Springs Company World War Memorial
Erected 1920 by the Virginia Hot Springs Company commemorating the planting of trees along this boulevard. A memorial of patriotism and a tribute of honor to the employees of this Company and the men of Bath County who in 1917 and 1918 served in . . . — Map (db m69930) WM
Virginia (Bedford County), Timberlake — K-135 — Callaway–Steptoe Cemetery
Nearby are buried several prominent area settlers and their descendants. Col. William Callaway, in 1755 one of the first two members of the Virginia House of Burgesses from Bedford County, donated the hundred acres of land on which the town of New . . . — Map (db m65605) HM
Virginia (Bland County), Bland — KC-3 — One of the “Big Four”
Here is the home of S. H. Newberry, who, with three others, composed the “Big Four” in the Virginia Senate. These four men united to defeat objectionable measures of the Readjuster Movement. — Map (db m43138) HM
Virginia (Carroll County), Hillsville — KD-12 — Hillsville
This place became the county seat when Carroll County was formed. The first court was held here, 1842; A. W. C. Nowlin was the first judge. The courthouse, built in 1872, was remodeled some years ago. The town was incorporated in 1900 and . . . — Map (db m65641) HM
Virginia, Charlottesville — Thomas Jefferson Monument
Proclaim Liberty throughtout the land unto the inhabitants thereof —Leviticus XXIV. This monument to Thomas Jefferson was presented to the people to perpetuate the teachings and examples of the Founders of the . . . — Map (db m8805) HM
Virginia, Charlottesville — Triumph of “The Charlottesville Twelve”
Venable Elementary School. Charles E. Alexander, Raymond Dixon, Regina Dixon, Maurice Henry, Marvin Townsend, William Townsend, Sandra Wicks, Roland T. Woodfolk, Ronald E. Woodfolk. Lane High School. French Jackson, Donald Martin, John . . . — Map (db m65187) HM
Virginia (Clarke County), Berryville — J-43 — Lucy Diggs Slowe(4 Jul. 1883 – 21 Oct. 1837)
Lucy Slowe, educator, was born in Berryville. In 1908, while attending Howard University, she became a founding member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the first Greek letter organization for African American women, and was elected its first . . . — Map (db m104725) HM
Virginia (Clarke County), Berryville — Milton Valley Cemetery
ORIGINAL STOCKHOLDERS: T.T. Brown, Coon Reed, George Blair, Samuel Robertson, Frank Randolph, Robert Hall, Howard Coxen, London Mitchell, George Tokus, Emanuel Blackburn, Joseph Thornley, Joseph Webb, Edmund Jackson, Thomas Laws Jr., Jerry . . . — Map (db m104756) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Culpeper — A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’sLower End of E. Davis, Commerce Streets — Town of Culpeper, Virginia
The area to the south was the center of commerce in the early 1900’s. It was here that retail shops, repair shops, hardware stores, restaurants, hotels and services flourished. In this era, blacks owned and operated nearly half the businesses in the . . . — Map (db m8637) HM
Virginia (Dickenson County), Birchleaf — XB-24 — Colley’s Cabin
Near here stood the cabin of Richard “Fighting Dick” Colley who was one of the earliest settlers in what is now Dickenson County. — Map (db m90739) HM
Virginia (Dickenson County), Clintwood — John Mullins
The only known Revolutionary War soldier buried in Dickenson County rests on knoll, to the left of intersection McClure and Mullins Avenues (State Highway 83). Died in 1849 at home of his son John who, in 1829, was the first settler on Holly Creek . . . — Map (db m90759) HM
Virginia, Fairfax — Fairfax Court House
Built 1800 Old Town Fairfax This building is on the National Register of Historic Places. George and Martha Washington’s wills were recorded here and still remain in this complex. Confederate President Jefferson Davis reviewed strategy in the tavern . . . — Map (db m6259) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — T-50 — Mason’s Hill
During the Civil War, Confederate Col. J. E.B. Stuart used Mason’s Hill and nearby Munson’s Hill as outposts for the First Virginia Cavalry from late July to the end of Sept. 1861. Capt. Edward Porter Alexander of the Signal Corps established a . . . — Map (db m6926) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Mount Gilead Historic Site
Mount Gilead, built in the second half of the 18th century, is the sole survivor of Newgate village, a colonial settlement and trading center, renamed Centreville in 1792, when an act of the Virginia assembly gave it town status. Presenting an . . . — Map (db m529) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Ivakota Farm
On this land stood Ivakota Farm, founded as a Progressive Era reform school and home for unwed mothers and their children. In 1915 Ella Shaw donated her 264-acre farm to the National Florence Crittenton Mission (NFCM). Named for the states where she . . . — Map (db m7401) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — B-13 — Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly)
Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's wing of the Army of Northern Virginia reached here 1 Sept. 1862. Jackson's march from the battlefield of Second Manassas turned the position of Maj. Gen. John Pope's army at Centreville and threatened the . . . — Map (db m115) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Skirmish at St. Mary’sVictory or Death
Monday, August 8, 1864, was a hot and sultry day. Capt. John McMenamin of the 15th New York Volunteer Cavalry and Capt. James Fleming of the 16th New York Volunteer Cavalry had stopped at St. Mary's Church on the Ox Road (now Fairfax Station Rd.), . . . — Map (db m186) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Lorton — E-107 — Colchester
Colchester, founded in 1753 at the location of a ferry crossing, was the second town established in Fairfax County. Located on the main post road from Boston to Charleston, and at the end of the Ox Road leading west to the Blue Ridge, the town . . . — Map (db m206) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Oakton — Waple’s Mill
Approximately 1,200 feet southeast of this marker, on the west side of Difficult Run, was located Waple's Mill. George Henry Waple built it in 1867. For twenty-three years beginning in 1890 the grist and sawmill was owned and operated by Edward . . . — Map (db m7431) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Seven Corners — T-49 — Fort Buffalo
Nearby once stood Fort Buffalo. This earthwork fortification was built by the 21st New York Infantry of the Union army in 1861 and named for the troops’ hometown. During the Civil War, a concentration of forts existed in the Seven Corners section . . . — Map (db m7399) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — Keene’s Mill
A saw and grist mill built by James Keene between 1796 and 1800, when it was expanded, stood on the north side of the original Keene Mill Road right-of-way just to the east of this marker. The mill served the surrounding farm community for . . . — Map (db m104) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — The Civilian Conservation Corps
During the Depression, in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration established the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) to help unemployed men, ages 18 to 25. CCC men created state parks, improved soil conservation, conducted . . . — Map (db m64562) HM
Virginia (Fauquier County), Warrenton — C-60 — Second Manassas CampaignStrategic Rappahannock River Crossings
A mile northwest stood Waterloo Bridge, where on 22 Aug. 1862 Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart crossed the Rappahannock River to threaten the rear of Union Maj. Gen. John Pope’s army 14 miles southeast at Catlett Station on the Orange & Alexandria . . . — Map (db m36792) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — GA-39 — Fork Union Baptist Church
Fork Union Baptist Church was constituted in 1798. Presbyterian, Episcopal, Methodist, and Baptist congregations shared as a place of worship the current church, built in 1824 and first known as the Brick Meetinghouse. Gen. John Hartwell Cocke, . . . — Map (db m18302) HM
Virginia (Fluvanna County), Fork Union — F-48a — Fork Union Military Academy
Founded in 1898 by Dr. William E. Hatcher with the assistance of Charles G. Snead, Fork Union Academy established military training as part of the curriculum in 1902. It served as a coeducational school until 1909, when the trustees transformed it . . . — Map (db m18307) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Brook Vale — J-83 — White Marsh Church
This church, founded in 1792, was the mother church of Methodism in the Northern Neck of Virginia. The first camp meeting in this section was held here. Bishops Enoch George and David S. Doggett were members of this church. Bishop Joshua Soule, . . . — Map (db m24175) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Farnham — Z-3 — Lancaster County / Richmond CountyArea 130 Square Miles / Area 204 Square Miles
Lancaster County. Area 130 square miles. Formed in 1652, and named for Lancaster, England. Ancient Christ Church and Epping Forest, birthplace of Washington’s Mother, are in this county. Richmond County. Area 204 square miles. Formed in . . . — Map (db m23607) HM
Virginia (Lee County), Pennington Gap — X-30 — Pennington Gap
Pennington Gap is a mountain pass named for an early settler. The town came into existence with the extension of the Louisville and Nashville railroad, 1890. It was incorporated in 1891. Standing on a short-cut highway to eastern Kentucky, it is a . . . — Map (db m90916) HM
Virginia (Loudoun County), Leesburg — Early Methodism in Leesburg
On this site, deeded in 1766, stood the old Methodist meeting house completed about 1770. Here in 1778 was held the sixth conference of American Methodism and the first in Virginia. In this cemetery in 1786 was buried Richard Owings, first native . . . — Map (db m117274) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-33 — Georgia Weston Morgan(1869–1951)
Artist and educator Georgia Morgan studied painting at Randolph-Macon Woman’s College and at the Académie Julian in Paris. She was a co-founder of the Lynchburg Civic Art League in 1932 and helped establish the city’s Federal Art Gallery, a . . . — Map (db m104411) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Kemper Street StationHistory
The new Kemper Street Station, which opened on October 31, 1912, was one of many improvements made in Lynchburg by Southern Railway to double track its mainline between Atlanta and Washington, D.C. The Rivermont Tunnel, the James River Bridge, and . . . — Map (db m57298) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Point of Beginning
In October, 1786, the General Assembly approved that 45 acres of land belonging to John Lynch be laid off in half-acre lots to establish a town by the name of Lynchburg. The original trustees Charles Brooks, Jesse Burton, John Callaway, John Clarke, . . . — Map (db m46483) HM
Virginia (Madison County), Madison — G-13 — Oak Grove Baptist Church
Joe Thoms, Sr., a slave harness-maker, founded Oak Grove Baptist Church during the Civil War at his nearby log cabin, which burned in 1869. The congregation then met here, on land owned by John J. Robinson, a white farmer, in a grove of oaks they . . . — Map (db m23975) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Skipwith — U-94 — West End High School
Just to the east is the former West End High School, which served African Americans during the segregation era. With the help of Matilda M. Booker, Mecklenburg County’s Jeanes Fund supervisor of education for blacks, local parents first . . . — Map (db m107471) HM
Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — N-49 — Tomb of Puller
In Christ Churchyard immediately to the north lies buried Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell Puller, USMC. He led Marines in 19 campaigns from Haiti and Nicaragua through the Korean War, receiving 53 decorations and the admiration and affection of . . . — Map (db m26976) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Lottsburg — O-48 — Holley Graded School
In 1868, Caroline Putnam (1826–1917) established a school for the children of former slaves here. In 1869, her lifelong friend, Sallie Holley (1818–1893) of N.Y., abolitionist and suffragette, purchased this two-acre site. Holley was an . . . — Map (db m22532) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Nokomis — O-56 — Coan Baptist Church
One mile west stands Coan Baptist Church. The Congregation, first known as Wicomico Baptist Church, was organized on 17 November 1804. The members worshiped in each other’s houses until a frame building, Coan Meeting House, was moved to this site in . . . — Map (db m22534) HM
Virginia (Page County), Luray — C-3 — Cavalry Engagement
In mid-June 1862, after Maj. Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s Shenandoah Valley campaign, Brig. Gen. Beverly H. Robertson’s cavalry screened from Union observation Jackson’s movement east to join the Army of Northern Virginia near . . . — Map (db m591) HM
Virginia (Page County), Luray — C-30 — White House
The old building just north of the road was built for a fort in 1760. It has long been a landmark in this valley. — Map (db m572) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Manassas — The Grave of Our Dear Mother, Judith Henry
Killed near this spot by the explosion of shells in her dwelling during the Battle of the 21st of July, 1861. When killed she was in her 85th year and confined to her bed by the infirmities of age. Her husband Dr. Isaac Henry was a Surgeon in the . . . — Map (db m610) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Manassas — Thomas Jonathan Jackson
(Front Face): Thomas Jonathan Jackson 1824 1863 (Right Face): First Battle of Manassas July 21, 1861. (Left Face): There Stands Jackson Like a Stonewall (Rear Face): ** Erected by ** The State of Virginia Under . . . — Map (db m541) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 30 — Town of Occoquan
Nathaniel Ellicott formally established the town in 1804, bringing to fruition industrial and commercial developments begun 'at or near the Falls of Occoquan' by John Ballendine c. 1750. The estuary of The Occoquan has attracted the attention of . . . — Map (db m122460) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — “Leesylvania”
This historically important property was part of a land grant dating back to 1658 and was the site of “Leesylvania,” the home of Henry Lee II (1729–1789). The Neabsco Iron Foundry, which was located nearby, furnished “pig . . . — Map (db m773) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 21 — Minnieville
Nearby is Bel Air Plantation (c. 1740), burial site of Parson Mason Locke Weems, first biographer of George Washington. French and American troops moved through this community on their way to Yorktown in 1781. Northern dairymen developed large farms . . . — Map (db m774) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Maggie Lena Walker Memorial
1864 — Born July 15 to Elizabeth Draper and later works with her mother as a laundress to make ends meet 1883 — Graduates from Richmond Colored Normal School, teaches for three years before marrying Armstead Walker, Jr. 1899 . . . — Map (db m108518) HM
Virginia (Richmond County), Farnham — J-78 — Cyrus Griffin’s Birthplace
Four and a half miles southwest was born Cyrus Griffin, July 16, 1748. Educated in England, he served in the Virginia House of Delegates, 1777–8, 1786–7. He was a member of the Continental Congress, 1787–1788., in which last year . . . — Map (db m23569) HM
Virginia (Richmond County), Farnham — J-99 — Northern Neck Industrial Academy
The Northern Neck Baptist Association established the Northern Neck Industrial Academy in 1898 through financial contributions from local black Baptist churches. The academy opened approximately three miles to the west on Route 608 at Oak Hill Farm . . . — Map (db m23587) HM
Virginia (Rockbridge County), Glasgow — L-63 — Frank Padget Water Tragedy
Heavy rains in late Jan. 1854 left the James River and the treacherous Balcony Falls in full flood. On 21 Jan., the canal boat Clinton and its passengers became stranded in the raging waters. Frank Padget, a skilled boatman and slave, . . . — Map (db m49859) HM
Virginia (Rockingham County), Lynnwood — JD-10 — Battle of Port Republic
The cross road here roughgly divides the Confederate and Union lines in the battle of JUne 9, 1862. Jackson attacked Shields, coming southward to join Fremont, but was repulsed. Reinforced by Ewell, Jackson attacked again and drove Shields from the . . . — Map (db m2932) HM
Virginia (Scott County), Glenita — The Natural Tunnel Route
Railroads, like water, tend to follow the path of least resistance. Early railroad engineers saw Natural Tunnel as a logical path through the mountains to the growing rail systems of the Midwest. The South Atlantic and Ohio Railroad began . . . — Map (db m46271) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Mount Jackson — Meem's Bottom Covered Bridge
The longest remaining covered bridge in Virginia, 200 feet in a single span supported by the Burr Arch, was built by Franklin H. Wissler in 1892-93. It is Virginia's only covered bridge open to vehicular traffic. Placed on the Virginia Landmark . . . — Map (db m73822) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), Mount Jackson — A-86 — Mount Jackson
This area was a Native American hunting territory before settlers of European descent arrived early in the 18th century. Fertile land and powerful streams supported an agricultural and milling economy. In 1826 the Virginia General Assembly . . . — Map (db m108888) HM
Virginia (Shenandoah County), New Market — Jackson’s 2nd Corps EstablishedStonewall Dons a New Uniform
Having remained with his command in the vicinity of Winchester since the Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam, by November 22, 1862, Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson was again on the march. With more than 32,000 soldiers, Jackson’s . . . — Map (db m16453) HM
Virginia (Smyth County), Chilhowie — Town House
As early as 1754 a house was built on this hill, and was used as a fort and meeting place by settlers. This is the site of the first settlement in this region. — Map (db m45966) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Spotsylvania Courthouse — EM-1 — Fredericksville Furnace
Charles Chiswell established the iron-making community of Fredericksville near this point of Douglas Run, a tributary of the North Anna River. The furnace had been in blast for about five years when William Byrd in 1732 toured the site in the . . . — Map (db m59532) HM
Virginia (Tazewell County), Frog Level — X-16 — Indian-Settler Conflicts
During Dunmore’s war (1774) and the Revolutionary War (1775–1783) conflicts between Indians and colonists often intensified as European powers encouraged Indians from the Ohio region to attack frontier settlers. Tensions also sometimes . . . — Map (db m90654) HM
Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV-15 — First Landing
Near here the first permanent English settlers in North America first landed on American soil, April 26, 1607. From here they went on to make the settlement at Jamestown. The brick lighthouse was built in 1791. — Map (db m2670) HM
Virginia (Warren County), Front Royal — JD-1 — Belle Boyd and Jackson
Near here Stonewall Jackson was met by the spy, Belle Boyd, and informed of the position of the Union troops at Front Royal, May 23, 1862. Jackson was advancing northward attempting to get between Banks’ army and Winchester. — Map (db m57966) HM
Virginia (Westmoreland County), Grays Corner — JT-4 — Washington’s Mother
At Sandy Point, seven and a half miles east, Mary Ball, Washington’s Mother, spent her youth in the home of her guardian, George Eskridge. There she was married to Augustine Washington, March, 1731. She is supposed to have named her eldest son for . . . — Map (db m22407) HM
Virginia (Westmoreland County), Kinsale — Z-4 — Northumberland County / Westmoreland County
Northumberland County. Area 205 square miles. Originally an Indian district called Chicacoan. In 1648 it became Northumberland County, named for an English county. The mouth of the Potomac River is here. Westmoreland County. Area 252 . . . — Map (db m22471) HM
Virginia (Westmoreland County), Machodoc — J-72 — Nomini Hall
The house was built about 1730 and burned in 1850. It was not rebuilt. Only some poplar trees remain. A fine colonial mansion, it was the home of the celebrated “councillor” Robert Carter. Philip Fithian, tutor at Nonimi Hall, . . . — Map (db m22384) HM
Virginia (Westmoreland County), Mount Holly — JT-3 — The Glebe
Five miles north is the home of the rectors of Cople Parish, one of whom, Walter Jones, married Washington’s parents, March 6, 1781. Here lived Thomas Smith, rector of the parish, 1764–1799, and chairman of the County Committee of Safety, . . . — Map (db m22389) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Austinville — KD-5 — Fincastle County
Fincastle County, established in 1772, was formed from Botetourt County. The Fincastle County seat was located opposite the lead mines on the north side of the New River in the western end of present day Austinville. In 1775, the Fincastle County . . . — Map (db m43358) HM
Virginia (Wythe County), Wytheville — K-35 — Wytheville
When Wythe County was formed, this place became the county seat under the name of Evansham. It was incorporated in 1839 as Wytheville. The old Wilderness Road to Cumberland Gap passed here. It July, 1863, Toland’s Raiders captured the town. In May, . . . — Map (db m44917) HM
Washington (Clallam County), Port Angeles — Spanish Explorers — The Evergreen State
The Spanish Captain Juan Perez sailed north from San Blas in 1774 with orders from Spain to claim the Coast against the Russians. Perez discovered Nootka Sound on the West shore of Vancouver Island and traded with the natives of the Queen . . . — Map (db m83652) HM
Washington (Jefferson County), Port Townsend — Historical Marker
Commemorating Capt. George Vancouver’s discovery, landing & naming of Port Townsend in honor of the Marquis of Townshend, May 7, 1792. Donated Dec 1, 1986, by the DeLeo Family, residents of Port Townsend since 1883. — Map (db m91334) HM
West Virginia (Barbour County), Philippi — The Covered Bridge
The Philippi Covered Bridge across Tygart Valley River was built in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth of Beverly. Made of wood, with the exception of the iron bolts used to hold the segments together, it is an example of the best in covered bridge . . . — Map (db m33665) HM
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Boydville
Built, 1812, by Elisha Boyd, general in the War of 1812, on land bought from Gen. Adam Stephen. Mansion noted for its fine workmanship. Home of his son-in-law, Charles J. Faulkner, Minister to France, and his grandson, U.S. Senator Faulkner. — Map (db m983) HM
West Virginia (Cabell County), Huntington — Marshall University
Named for John Marshall, Chief Justice U.S. Supreme Court, 1801–1835. Founded as Marshall Academy, 1837, and chartered as Marshall College, 1858. Established as a state-supported institution, 1867. Granted university status, 1961. — Map (db m125985) HM
West Virginia (Grant County), Gormania — Grant County / State of Maryland
Grant County. Formed in 1866 from Hardy, Named for General Grant, later President. At the northwestern corner is the Fairfax Stone, which established the limits of the lands of Lord Fairfax. The county has many mountain peaks and beautiful . . . — Map (db m32915) HM
West Virginia (Grant County), Petersburg — Petersburg
Settled about 1745. Near by was Fort George, Indian fort. Federal trenches overlooked the town in 1863 and 1864. Here is grave of Rev. W. N. Scott, pioneer preacher, who built churches at Old Fields, Morefield, and Petersburg. — Map (db m9260) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Charles Town — Richwood Hall
The original brick house was built on land owned by Lawrence Augustine Washington, the son of Samuel Washington, George’s brother. The present mansion-house, in an excellent state of preservation, was built about 1825. During the battle of Cameron’s . . . — Map (db m1885) HM
West Virginia (Marion County), Barrackville — Barrackville Covered Bridge
This covered bridge, built in 1853 by Eli and Lemuel Chenoweth, West Virginia’s pioneer bridge builders, is an excellent example of a modified Burr Truss and is in substantially original condition. The bridge was saved from destruction during Jones’ . . . — Map (db m75051) HM
West Virginia (Marshall County), Moundsville — Civil War Cannons
In tribute to Howard D. Blankenship, who made all the arrangements to have both cannons retrofitted to their original. His project started 1977 and was completed 1984. The northern piece was manufactured by N.P. Ames Foundry, Springfield . . . — Map (db m20394) HM
West Virginia (Mason County), Point Pleasant — “Border Grays”
Organized at Barboursville Sept. 18, 1862, with Captain William Gunn as commander. Served with the Guyandotte Battalion until Jan. 1863, then was assigned as Company D 8th Virginia Cavalry, CSA under Col. Albert G. Jenkins. — Map (db m124164) HM
West Virginia (Mason County), Point Pleasant — Point Pleasant Battle / War of 1812
Point Pleasant Battle. Here, Oct. 10, 1774, General Andrew Lewis and a thousand Virginia riflemen defeated the federated Indian tribes led by Cornstalk. Known as the "first battle of the Revolution." It was the most important battle between . . . — Map (db m42652) HM
West Virginia (Mercer County), Bluewell — Pinnacle Rock
Erosion—Nature’s cutting tool—has chiseled away the stone on this spur of Flat Top Mountain, leaving this giant cockscomb more than 2700 feet above sea level. Several counties may be seen from these cliffs. — Map (db m90566) HM
West Virginia (Mineral County), Blaine — Mineral County / State of Maryland
Mineral County. Formed from Hampshire in 1866. Named for its great mineral deposits. In Mineral County, Fort Ashby, the only standing unit in the chain of frontier forts which were built in 1755 under Washington’s orders. State of . . . — Map (db m717) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Stewartstown — Stewartstown
William Stewart settled here in 1771. Northeast was Fort Dinwiddie. Forks of Cheat Baptist Church was organized here, 1775, by John Corbley, the pioneer minister, whose family was massacred later by the Indians. — Map (db m74597) HM
West Virginia (Monroe County), Sweet Springs — Ann Royall / Sweet Springs
(front) Ann Royall Ann Royall, America's first woman journalist, lived here. Widowed at 50, she became an author and prominent figure in national political life. In her newspaper, "Paul Pry," at Washington, she set the style for . . . — Map (db m34489) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Valley Grove — Ohio County / State of Pennsylvania
Ohio County. Formed in 1776 from West Augusta. Named for the river which bears an Indian name meaning “Beautiful River.” Scene of last battle of the Revolution, 1782. Visited by La Salle, Celoron, Gist, Washington, and later . . . — Map (db m9384) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Valley Grove — The Dwight D. Eisenhower Highway
In August 1973, the U.S. Congress designated a cross-country stretch of Interstate as the “Dwight D. Eisenhower Highway,” in tribute to President Eisenhower’s early recognition of the need for a national network of highways to enhance . . . — Map (db m511) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — The Madonna of the Trail
The statue before you was created as a tribute to the pioneer women who braved the uncertainties of the great journey west. The Madonna memorials were a project of the Daughters of the American Revolution and were dedicated between 1926 and 1929. . . . — Map (db m500) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Wheeling Suspension Bridge - 1849
In 1816, with a strong interest in internal improvements, the legislatures of Virginia and Ohio authorized the formation of the Wheeling and Belmont Bridge Company (Belmont because the bridge company was to connect from Wheeling, Virginia to Belmont . . . — Map (db m561) HM
West Virginia (Preston County), Brandonville — Brandonville
Made famous by Brandonville stoves, product of old iron furnaces. Here in 1839 was published one of the early agricultural papers. In the vicinity stood Fort Morris, built before 1774 on the lands of Richard Morris. — Map (db m74508) HM
West Virginia (Preston County), Glade Farm — Preston County / Pennsylvania
Preston County. Formed from Monongalia in 1818 and named for James Preston, 13th governor of Virginia. Here is model Federal homestead project, sponsored by Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt, the wife of Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 32nd President. . . . — Map (db m74509) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Elkins — Stephen Benton Elkins / Halliehurst
Stephen Benton Elkins. Businessman, politician, co-founder City of Elkins. Born in Ohio, 1841; died in Washington, DC, 1911. Secretary of War, 1891–1893; U.S. Senator from WV, 1895–1911. National figure in Republican Party for more . . . — Map (db m14433) HM
West Virginia (Taylor County), Grafton — GraftonRailroad Town — The First Campaign
Grafton was a key transportation hub in Western Virginia. The Northwestern Virginia Railroad went to Parkersburg nearly 100 miles west. At Grafton, the Northwestern Virginia Railroad joined the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O). On the B&O, the . . . — Map (db m75015) HM
West Virginia (Taylor County), Simpson — John Simpson
Here John Simpson, hunter and trapper, stopped in 1763. He moved on to Clarksburg in 1764. Harrison and Taylor Counties keep alive his memory in the names of Simpson Creek, the town of Simpson and Simpson District. — Map (db m74915) HM
West Virginia (Wetzel County), Hundred — Hundred
Henry Church, who died in 1860 at the age of 109, was familiarly known as “Old Hundred” and the town was named for him. He was a soldier in the British Army under Conrwallis and was captured by American troops under Gen. Lafayette. — Map (db m1041) HM

2493 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2293
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.