This home built in 1854 for John Nelson Webster and Caroline Webster is Alameda’s oldest house. The house is a primary example of Gothic Revival architecture by renowned architect Andrew Jackson Downing. The house was prefabricated in New York, . . . — — Map (db m78903) HM
This grandstand is located on a portion of the historic Rancho El Valle de San Jose, granted to Pico, Sunol and Bernal by Mexico in 1839 forming part of Mission San Jose lands. Early settlers trained and raced horses here over 100 years ago. — — Map (db m65971) HM
Erected by the Citizens of
Amador County California in
A native of Jackson,
Born July 30 1854
Died November 17 1923
District Attorney, State Senator, United States Congressman, United . . . — — Map (db m72067) HM
Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshall’s Circus lot in 1851, the Fireman’s Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryan’s Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden . . . — — Map (db m71556) HM
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called
by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here.
In 1849, it was named
for Colonel Jackson an early day resident.
In 1853, Amador . . . — — Map (db m72060) HM
The first major environmental project of mother lode mining. Entered on the National Historical Register July 7, 1981, through the efforts of Clyde Berriman on behalf of the City of Jackson. — — Map (db m71568) HM
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — — Map (db m27910) HM
- The Kennedy Mine -
You are standing on property that once belonged to the Kennedy Mine. The Kennedy Mine is named for Andrew Kennedy, who reportedly discovered a quartz ledge in the late 1850s. The Kennedy Mining Company was formed in 1860 . . . — — Map (db m72070) HM
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — — Map (db m72065) HM
Who Died in World War I G. Bulaich • J.A. Cuneo • F.S. Ferrari • B.L Flitcraft • B.F. Forbes • LT. Griesabach • P.W. Hamm • J.R. Hyland • A. Kretcher • G. Koprivica • R.E. Noce • R. Pew • W.H. Pritchard • S.C. Quirollo • R. Rugne • C.P. Sevey • . . . — — Map (db m85621) WM
Utica Mine, the most important mine in the Angels District, set national records in the 1890's producing more than 4 million dollars in gold in 30 months. The Utica was also the site of Angels Camp's worst mine disaster when 17 men were buried when . . . — — Map (db m25646) HM
Buena Vista Cemetery's oldest grave marker, for a six year old boy, has the date of death of June 26, 1855. Older graves may exist that have no markers on them. Buena Vista is the earliest official burial location in Murphys. In 1930, Buena Vista . . . — — Map (db m66122) HM
Built in 1860, second oldest building in California used continuously for school purposes. Cost four thousand dollars for two rooms as at present. Called "Pine Grove College" by pupils. J.A. Smith, Calaveras County Superior Court judge for 37 years, . . . — — Map (db m66110) HM
Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896, and reorganized March 14, 1905.
This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and . . . — — Map (db m33008) HM
In 1910, the Mountain Quarries Company contracted for the construction of a railroad bridge over the North Fork of the American River to haul limestone from their upstream quarry. The bridge and 17 wooden trestles were part of Mountain Quarries . . . — — Map (db m67659) HM
The Mountain Quarries Railroad Bridge, also known a "No Hands Bridge", was completed on March 23, 1912. At the time of its construction the span bore the distinction of being one of the largest reinforced concrete railroad bridges in the United . . . — — Map (db m67664) HM
On the occasion of James W. Marshall's 200th birthday, the Native Sons of the Golden West rededicate this monument erected in his honor. Born in Hopewell Township, Mercer County, New Jersey to Phillip and Sarah Wilson Marshall on October 8, 1810, he . . . — — Map (db m71528) HM
James Marshall arrived in the “Collumah”, valley home of the Nisenan, on May 8, 1847 to map the site for a sawmill he was to build in partnership with John Sutter. On August 18, Marshall returned with a crew, mostly Mormons, to build the . . . — — Map (db m39013) HM
This replica of Sutter’s Mill was based on research from many sources – a drawing by James Marshall, an old photograph of the mill, and the results of several excavations made on the original mill site. The building is 60 feet long, 20 feet . . . — — Map (db m12206) HM
This rock monument marks site of John A. Sutter's saw mill in the tailrace of which James W. Marshall discovered gold, January 24, 1848, starting the great rush of argonauts to California. The Society of California Pioneers definitely located and . . . — — Map (db m39015) HM
Original Marker - Missing
First Replacement Marker - See Photo #2
Pilot Hill Grange No.1, of 29 charter members: Master, F. D. Brown; Secretary, A. J. Bayley; was organized August 10, 1870. The Grange Hall, dedicated at this site . . . — — Map (db m11607) HM
The Josephine Mine was an integral part of the 1849 California Gold Rush and remained in operation until 1937. This cemetery is the final resting place of some of the pioneers that forged the western frontier and veterans of early American wars. The . . . — — Map (db m67644) HM
Richard Sweasey originally financed the construction of this theater which displays his name. Mr. Sweasey was a businessman in the early days of Eureka. Sweasey served as a member of the California State Legislature and several terms as a Humboldt . . . — — Map (db m71971) HM
This historic building was erected in 1887 by L.T. Kinsey and sold to the Society of Humboldt County Pioneers in 1890. On June 15, 1897 it was purchased by Humboldt Parlor No. 14 N.S.G.W. — — Map (db m71970) HM
Sequoia Park Zoo has been an integral part of Eureka's community since 1907. Founded on land acquired from the Glatt family to be used as a city park, the zoo has provided a home for many cherished animals and fond family memories. For more than a . . . — — Map (db m78790) HM
This home, also known as the “Pink Lady,” is a classic Queen Anne/Eastlake Victorian residence designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Newsom Brothers of San Francisco. It was completed in 1889 for William Carson, a pioneer . . . — — Map (db m1498) HM
The six Victorian era houses “905-935” Third Steet were developed by Samuel McFarland from 1884 to 1904. Mr. McFarland came to Humboldt County from New Brunswick, Canada in 1866 at the invitation of his brother-in-law, William Carson . . . — — Map (db m71972) HM
Dedicated on November 16, 1911 and affectionately known as the "Queen of Bridges", it was the longest reinforced concreted arch structure in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge was designed by John B. Leonard, Civil Engineer, . . . — — Map (db m71907) HM
Erected in the early 1870s, this magnificent structure was a drug store. In 1877 it became known as the Alford Drug Store until 1886. In 1879, Wells Fargo and Co. established an express station in the Alford Drug Store and maintained it through . . . — — Map (db m71959) HM
Originally constructed as a warehouse in July of 1902; known as the A. Berding Warehouse and housed many businesses. In 1919 Hampton C. Blum acquired the warehouse. In January 1929, The Danish Hall Committee started considerations for pu(r)chase. . . . — — Map (db m71939) HM
The Victorian Inn was built in 1890 with completion in 1891, and known as the Russ Building. The structure was originally built to house the Ferndale Bank with the Ferndale Enterprise Newspaper following. There were 33 rooms on the second floor; . . . — — Map (db m65289) HM
Built circa 1880, the rear portion of the building began as a private residence. Later, the front served as a restaurant and Chinese chop house. Around 1914-15, A.W. Blackburn moved the rear portion to the street and added a new front to serve as . . . — — Map (db m71952) HM
The original building was constructed in the late 1800’s as a warehouse for A. Berding, pioneer merchant. Remodeled in 1929, it became the meeting hall for the various Danish lodges. It also serves as the meeting hall of the Native Sons and . . . — — Map (db m71942) HM
This pioneer agricultural community, settled in 1852, helped feed the booming population of mid-century San Francisco. Long known as “Cream City,” Ferndale made innovative and lasting contributions to the dairy industry. Local . . . — — Map (db m1557) HM
Dedicated March 19, 1891
Organized October 2?, 1868 with fifteen members Ferndale Lodge #193 F. & A.M. received its charter the following year. Meetings were held upstairs over the Dodge Store until 1870 when the first lodge hall was built on the . . . — — Map (db m71931) HM
Ferndale Meat Market was already in operation at the time of the fire of 1875 and was lost in the fire of April 1881. It was rebuilt at its present location and back in operation by mid May of that same year. Joseph Russ’ involvement in the business . . . — — Map (db m71955) HM
Circa 1890. Furthest westernly bar in the continental United States.
Dedicated February 13, 1993 by the Native Sons of the Golden West. Harley M. Harty, Grand President
In memory of Joseph G. Oeschger PGP — — Map (db m65266) HM
Also known as the Roberts Hotel, Ferndale Hotel, and the Italian-Swiss Hotel, it was the first and is the last of the original hostelries in Ferndale. Originally built in 1870, burnt to the ground and rebuilt in 1875, then remodeled in the late . . . — — Map (db m71958) HM
Dedicated to Joseph Carl Oeschger in Recognition of his contribution to sports and to the youth who participate.
An all around athlete who began his career in Ferndale, he went on to professional baseball where he distinguished himself as a . . . — — Map (db m71956) HM
Built in 1922, and constructed mainly of old growth redwood by volunteers of the Ferndale Community. Fire destroyed the kitchen in 1963. Rebuilt in 1990-1993 through contributions and community efforts. It has served our community well throughout . . . — — Map (db m65190) HM
In this approximate area the seed of settlement to become Ferndale was planted by Seth Lewis Shaw.
Ferndale’s Original Residents
S.L. Shaw S.W. Shaw Uri Williams Tom Dix H.S. Waterman Cutler Hatch Joseph Russ Wm. Shipton Geo. . . . — — Map (db m71960) HM
Built in 1898 this building is of the East Lake Stick-Style tradition, a fine example of Victorian Architecture. The tapered oriel windows that project from the upper story are Italianate in shape with the overall design being very much English. . . . — — Map (db m71953) HM
The Eel, California’s third largest river, flows 800 miles before emptying into the Pacific Ocean. Through ongoing monitoring, public and private entities are working to preserve the integrity of this designated “Wild and Scenic River.” . . . — — Map (db m71985) HM
Inside you will interact with stories of the past, discover local culture, and view unique maritime artifacts
A group of local seafarers established the Humboldt Bay Maritime Museum in 1977 so residents and visitors could experience the . . . — — Map (db m81831) HM
In 1908 Hardy McConnell and son, Leslie, (A Native Son) left Temescal Canyon, near Corona, enroute to settle in Imperial Valley, driving two teams of horses pulling wagons, hauling farm implements, chickens and leading a cow.
Fourteen days later . . . — — Map (db m81635) HM
This Memorial Erected
in Honor of Those Who
Served Their Country
in Time of War
By Veteran's Memorial Housing Committee - May 30, 1941 • Representing County Board of Supervisors - Hugh T. Osborne • Representing veterans of the war with . . . — — Map (db m81827) WM
From this spot may be seen a portion of the world-renowned “Loop.” It was completed in 1876 under the direction of William Hood, Southern Pacific Railroad Engineer. In gaining elevation around central hill of loop a 4000 foot train will . . . — — Map (db m11903) HM
Built by Leslie P. Nichols and brother in 1877, it was the only schoolhouse in the county made of bricks from a local kiln. The school was two stories high. The top floor was used as the town hall, and school was held on the lower floor. It housed . . . — — Map (db m42352) HM
This is the location where the millrace turned due south, carrying water another 200 feet from this point into Chapman’s grist mill, built in 1822-25. The spring-fed water supply that flowed through the millrace came from two sources: Mission Lake . . . — — Map (db m79460) HM
This site is part of Corte Madera de Novato granted by Governor Juan Alvarado to John Martin in 1840. Purchased by Jefferson A. Thompson in 1865. A working ranch and cheese making family of five generations, that continued to make the world famous . . . — — Map (db m78066) HM
This house, constructed in 1911-12, is a unique craftsman style redwood building which incorporates northwestern Indian designs into its architecture. The sun house was designed by George Wilcox and John W. and Grace Carpenter Hudson. Dr. Hudson was . . . — — Map (db m71925) HM
This building house the
1887 – 1911
Gustine’s first school moved to this site in 1911
Restored in 1981 by
William J. Hayes
Mary Lou Hayes
368 Fifth St., Gustine — — Map (db m68941) HM
W.A. Irwin came from Santa Monica, California, where as a developer, he owned thousands of acres and established colony tracts. He laid out Irwin City, which was surveyed by George Manuel, and had it recorded on May 8, 1907. The colony was less than . . . — — Map (db m62790) HM
There is one description of Henry Miller, California's cattle king, that sums up his contributions to this community: Henry Miller - Founding Father of Los Banos.
Born 1827 in Brackenheim, Kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, Miller left the family . . . — — Map (db m41164) HM
Completed December 1, 1892, by the Standard Consolidated Mining Company, this hydro-electric generating plant began operation in October 1893. Electricity was transmitted over a 13 mile line to the mining company’s 20 stamp mill at Bodie. This . . . — — Map (db m49953) HM
Located in the valley of the San Antonio River within the Santa Lucia Range, Misión San Antonio de Padua, established on July 14, 1771, was the third in a series of missions founded in Alta California by Father Junípero Serra. Its picturesque . . . — — Map (db m79130) HM
Lt. Colonel Juan Bautista de Anza by decree of Carlos III of Spain led an expedition to this site – The mission being to colonize the San Francisco Bay Area.
In the center of the marker is a circular motif, designed by Doris . . . — — Map (db m61384) HM
In 1849, Antonio Ramirez built a small adobe on the El Camino Real, near the site of the ancient Indian village, Holamna. As a main artery to California's gold fields, the El Camino Real brought many travelers past Ramirez's place. He transformed . . . — — Map (db m59785) HM
The town of Jolon (pronounced Hōe-Lōne) was established in the 1860s to meet the needs of miners traveling to the Los Burros Mining District on the coast. It later developed into the center of commercial and social activity in southern . . . — — Map (db m59783) HM
Founded by Father Junipero Serra July 14, 1774. Most picturesque setting. First mass was celebrated in presence of one Indian. Later congregation grew to a thousand neophytes. Famous for its fine horses and expert vaqueros. — — Map (db m63651) HM
Constructed in 1827 by the Mexican government to collect custom duties from foreign shipping, a principal revenue source when Monterey was the capital of Alta California, Mexico's northernmost province. Thomas O. Larkin, US consul to Alta . . . — — Map (db m82186) HM
Here June 3, 1770, landed Very Rev. Father Junipero Serra, O.S.F. and founded the following missions; San Diego, July 16, 1769, San Carlos Monterey, June 3, 1770, San Antonio de Padua, July 14, 1771, San Gabriel, Sept. 8, 1771, San Luis Obispo, . . . — — Map (db m63109) HM
□ Look out upon these waters.
□ Their recorded history began when Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo sighted the "Bay of Pines" on Nov. 17, 1542.
□ Sebastian Viscaino was first to touch land Dec. 16, 1602. He claimed the land for . . . — — Map (db m30347) HM
Site of original flagstaff
where the American flag was first raised
Commodore John Drake Sloat
July, 7th 1846
taking possession of California in the name of
the United States of America
Later ceded to America
under the Treaty . . . — — Map (db m63063) HM
On this spot on July 7, 1846, U.S. Marines and Sailors landed and raised the American flag over the Custom House which stands before you. Mexico and the United States were at war. American forces landing in Monterey claimed 600,000 square miles for . . . — — Map (db m59955) HM
On the morning of February 18th, 1941, one hundred and five brave men of Company C 194th Tank Battalion of the Salinas and Pajaro Valleys marched four abreast down Main Street, through what is now called Old town Salinas, . . . — — Map (db m60395) HM
Built between 1844 and 1848 by José Eusebio Boronda, this is an outstanding example of a Mexican era rancho adobe. Virtually unaltered since its construction, it shows many features of the "Monterey Colonial" style which resulted from the fusion of . . . — — Map (db m60397) HM
The train was important to Salinas and to agriculture.
Steinbeck's characters arrive and leave at the Salinas train station. Molly Morgan arrives at the train depot before taking the bus to the pastures of heaven in East of Eden, Adam's . . . — — Map (db m81792)
The Nevada County Historical Society founded the Transportation Museum Division in 1983 to acquire, document, restore and preserve information and artifacts pertaining to Nevada County’s railroad and transportation history. Best known is the Nevada . . . — — Map (db m72038) HM
Built in 1862 by David J. Wood with lumber from his mill in Sierra County, the covered bridge was part of the Virginia Turnpike Company toll road that served the northern mines and the Nevada Comstock Lode. The associated ranch and resources for . . . — — Map (db m78339) HM
This adobe building was constructed about 1820 as part of an outlying mission stock headquarters to shelter the herdsmen who cared for the cattle from Mission San Juan Capistrano. After secularization, the property continued as a cattle ranch . . . — — Map (db m79043) HM
The Auburn depot is the fourth depot constructed (1902) on this hill. The original depot was constructed in 1865 when the Transcontinental Railroad came through Auburn. It burned down and was replaced in 1870. The second depot was sold and replaced . . . — — Map (db m81586) HM
This building served the people of Auburn and Placer County for more than 90 years as both a passenger and freight station.
The railroad track adjacent to this historic building is the original route location for the transcontinental railroad. . . . — — Map (db m81594) HM
An old fashioned drugstore down to the vintage marble soda fountain, Auburn Drug Company was established in 1896 by James T. Gibson. It was first located on the upper left side of Railroad Street (now Lincoln Way), just below Freeman Hotel. It was . . . — — Map (db m67555) HM
The Central Pacific Railroad reached Auburn in 1865. This site has been a blacksmithing shop since shortly thereafter. In 1890 it became known as Auburn Iron Works. Blacksmithing, one of the most valuable trades in the foothills, provided services . . . — — Map (db m67556) HM
Rebuilt in 1860 after a fire, George Willment resumed his mercantile business on the lower floor of this new fireproof building. The second floor was added at this time which was owned and operated by the Eureka Lodge #16 F&AM. In 1871, Willment . . . — — Map (db m67551) HM
This Colonial Revival home was originally constructed by Charles L. Simons. Simons came to Auburn in 1850 to try his hand at gold mining, but eventually became the owner of a saloon in town. The home was sold in 1901 to Fred Brye, a well-known local . . . — — Map (db m81602) HM
George Allen & Joseph Sandhorfer operated East Auburn’s first carriage, wagon, & harness shop in this building in 1896.
Other building occupants over the years
Burt & Locher General Merchandising
A.F. Ford & Co., Grocers
Ford . . . — — Map (db m81603) HM
In 1889 Walter Gaffett set up a powder factory which was part of the Giant Powder Company from the Bay Area. It's reported that 22 people died from explosions by 1917 when the factory was dismantled. This building originally was the company store. . . . — — Map (db m67550) HM
This caboose built by Southern Pacific in 1978 was purchased from Jim Dobbas, Inc. of Newcastle and moved to the Auburn depot site Nov. 12, 1990
Purchase of the caboose was made possible by a grant from Bank of America Foundation
Grant was . . . — — Map (db m81600) HM
Dr. Kenneth H. Fox crafted this statue from 1 mile of reinforced steel rebar and 35 cubic yards of concrete. The “Chinese Coolie” stands 22 feet high, is 33 feet long and weighs 70 tons.
This giant statue relocated to this historic . . . — — Map (db m81597) HM
An early hotel and stage station located on this site marked the junction of roads from Auburn to Foresthill and Illinoistown. In 1854, the home of “The Auburn Poetess,” Mary Eulalie Shannon, reputed to be California’s first woman poet. . . . — — Map (db m81604) HM
This property served as the Old Auburn Cemetery, established in the 1850's. About 1893, legislation permitted grave relocation to the Odd Fellows Cemetery, subsequently making possible creation of Sierra Park on these grounds. Agreement was reached . . . — — Map (db m81799) WM
Rhoads School completed 1872. Located on the west side of Sheldon Road, now called Sloughhouse Road two miles south of Jackson Road. Replaced first Rhoads School located north side, near levee of Cosumnes River next to Rhoads south west property . . . — — Map (db m18018) HM
Constructed in 1868. Headquarters of Sacramento Society of California Pioneers Founded 1854 Sacramento Pioneer Foundation Incorporated 1966
Plaque dedicated April 19, 1967 by Sacramento Historic Landmarks Commission Rededicated June 30, . . . — — Map (db m68630) HM
The Pioneer Hall was built in 1868 as headquarters of the Sacramento Society of California Pioneers, which was organized February 6, 1853. It has been owned and cared for since its construction by the California Pioneer Association, descendants of . . . — — Map (db m68629) HM
The Native Sons and Native Daughters of the Golden West planted it on July 19, 1939. and dedicated it September 9, 1948, on the occasion of the celebration of Admission Day and the Centenary of the founding of the modern City of Sacramento. — — Map (db m11886) HM
Ecology is all about how all things around us interact and affect each other, from rocks to plants to animals. Here is a place rich with different ecological interactions. How many can you see?
Millions of years ago, most of California was under . . . — — Map (db m71565) HM
The Castro/Breen adobe is associated with the early development and settlement of Mexican California. The adobe is an excellent example of blended eastern and western building methods first produced in Monterey to form the Monterey Colonial . . . — — Map (db m82243) HM
EL CAMINO REAL BELL
Placed Here June 24, 1910
SAN JUAN BAUTISTA
PARLOR No. 179
Native Daughters of
the Golden West.
Rededicated -- 1974
EL CAMINO REAL
June . . . — — Map (db m82204) HM
Founded June 24, 1797 by Father Laseun
15th of the 21 Missions largest and only church with 3 aisles. Dedicated in 1812
Monastery wing consisted of 36 rooms
This Mission has never been abandoned. It is now the parish church of San Juan . . . — — Map (db m82242) HM
Reportedly built in the 1840’s by a Basque named Rafael Pico. First recorded owner Maria Antonia Boronda in 1849. Owned by family members of Jose Maria Castro for many years. Ruins purchased by San Juan Bautista Parlor, N.D.G.W. in 1934. — — Map (db m62688) HM
Residents Built and Destroyed on this Corner
The first permanent structures here were the adobe apartments for the Mission military families.
In 1856, a wooden Wells Fargo Express Office replaced the adobe ruins. . . . — — Map (db m82205) HM
Founded in 1986 as the Crest Forest Historical Society, the Rim of the World Historical Society now operates the Mountain History Museum in this renovated San Bernardino County Firehouse.
Today, in its 25th anniversary year, the society . . . — — Map (db m72092) HM
Frank Antonio De Luca, Italian immigrant, naturalized 1872 at Memphis, TN. and wife, Florence, created this small house, typical of Julian, in 1897 from a studless rough plank cabin built in 1893 by miner C.L. Barnett. De Luca came here in 1889, age . . . — — Map (db m82414) HM
Mining Engineer — Philanthropist — Pioneer Builder in San Francisco. Born April 29, 1830, in Prussia. Came to the United States 1850. Settled in San Francisco 1854. Built Sutro Heights which he presented to San Francisco as a public . . . — — Map (db m21262) HM
First and oldest Protestant house in northern San Joaquin County. Built in 1859 on land donated by Donald J. Staples. Constructed of bricks given by Dr. D.J. Locke, founder of Lockeford and Mr. James Tallmadge, a builder and brick mason. Built by . . . — — Map (db m41406) HM
Side A (Facing the sidewalk):
This plaque marks the location of the
Pacific Coast Railway
As established on October 12, 1881, in Arroyo Grande, the Pacific Coast Railway ran from Avila to San Luis Obispo and Edna in . . . — — Map (db m66068) HM
This building, dedicated in 1914 and completed in 1918, was the headquarters for the Atascadero Colony, a model community envisioned by Edward G. Lewis. Designed by Walter D. Bliss of San Francisco and built of reinforced concrete and locally . . . — — Map (db m67969) HM
Throughout history patriotic Americans have been drawn together to serve a cause greater than themselves. Some came because of common experiences. Most came because of common values. All came because they shared a dream.
The people who . . . — — Map (db m61431) WM
Inspired by “The Grand Basin” at the 1904 St. Louis World’s Fair, Atascadero founder E.G. Lewis envisioned a formal Sunken Garden to adorn the civic center in his new colony. Restored in 2005 as originally designed with walkways crossing . . . — — Map (db m38729) HM
The purpose of this monument is to forever stand as a tribute to our nation's Founding Fathers who created the two most important documents that laid the foundation of our country: the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. This . . . — — Map (db m67581) HM
This first order fresnel lens was manufactured in 1850 in France by Henry LaPaute. The clock mechanism was built in 1872 and the lens you see here was installed atop the lighthouse at Piedras Blancas in 1874.
In 1949 the lens was removed from . . . — — Map (db m68626) HM
Born in Bristol, England, Nov. 24 1824, James Cass came to N.Y.C. at the age of 12, then to California during the Gold Rush. His mining, mercantile, and farming led him to travel throughout the state. In 1867, he saw the potential of a shipping port . . . — — Map (db m68608) HM
Built in 1886 by volunteer labor. Deeded to the Methodist Church. Dedicated to The Lord the third Sunday in May, 1886. Second Protestant church in San Luis Obispo County. Served by circuit riding Methodist Minister A.N. Fields.
Framework of . . . — — Map (db m67851) HM
This knoll is the site of a Native American village believed to have been occupied for over 100 generations or 3,000 years. It has been preserved to honor both the Chumash and Salinan Nations that inhabited this region before the arrival of the . . . — — Map (db m68424) HM
The first Protestant church in northern San Luis Obispo county was built in 1879 by early settlers. This nondenominational church on the Estrella Plains prospered with the pioneer community, but by 1912 fell into disuse as the various denominations . . . — — Map (db m59452) HM
An inspiring and varied history of the Mennonites in the Paso Robles area began in 1896. Pioneers Jacob Hege and Jacob E. Claassen came to this area to evaluate the land. They decided to settle east and west of Paso Robles. Mr. Hege liked the . . . — — Map (db m73175) HM
World famous pianist, composer, statesman, humanitarian, major California Central Coast land holder, vineyard owner, winemaker and almond grower.
Polish by birth and a citizen of the world, Paderewski felt at home in . . . — — Map (db m71909) HM
The boys of the Paso Robles
War Memorial Hospital
who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II Thomas C. Calvert • William O. Cottle • Joseph G. Crettol • Raymond O. Dauth • Raymond J. Farnell Jr. • Roy A Gruwell Jr. • Lester W. . . . — — Map (db m68656) WM
On April 18, 1917, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Sims deeded this site of one and one half acres to and for the Lincoln School for the sum of $10.00 dollars. The school was built in 1917 and operated as a one room school house from 1917-1964. The school . . . — — Map (db m67790) HM
By the mid-1880s, the population of Paso Robles had increased to a level where a dedicated building to house criminals was needed. On September 20, 1887, Paso Robles Leaderran a story about a Saturday-night drunken brawl where weapons were . . . — — Map (db m72629) HM
On May 11, 1889, with one million bricks piled at this site, the laying of the foundation of this famous hotel was begun.
In November of 1889, the El Paso de Robles Hotel Company was incorporated with five stockholders: Drury and Louisa James, . . . — — Map (db m60007) HM
The Jeanesville Pump that rests quietly on permanent exhibit at the Paso Robles Pioneer Museum was one of 2000 steam powered pumps built at the turn of the century by the Jeanesville Iron Works Company.
Union Oil Company relocated this . . . — — Map (db m78134) HM
Members of the Willow Creek Mennonite Church worshiped at this site from 1911 to 1967. The building was moved here from the San Marcos area where it had been built in 1898. It burned on January 26, 1967
"For other foundation can no man lay . . . — — Map (db m67215) HM
The Pacific Coast Railway was completed to San Luis Obispo on Aug. 8, 1876 having started as a horsedrawn rail line on the Port Hartford Pier (Port San Luis) in 1873.
Three foot gauge steam engines took trains loaded with farm, dairy and . . . — — Map (db m60535) HM
On land expropriated from San Miguel Mission, at the site of an adobe frequented by Frank and Jesse James, the first saloon in San Luis Obispo County opened its doors here on December 5, 1853. In its heyday, the Elkhorn Saloon often earned over . . . — — Map (db m59926) HM
Lt. Col. John C. Fremont
and his 430 American volunteers camped on this hill December 10 - 11, 1846 and took the Mission San Miguel.
Fremont's march from San Juan Bautista to San Fernando brought about the Cahuenga Capitulation January 13, . . . — — Map (db m59991) HM
This imposing building is an excellent example of California Mexican Era architecture. Using Indian labor, Petronilo Rios built the two-story Adobe about 1846 as his residence and headquarters for sheep and cattle operations. Named "Caledonia" in . . . — — Map (db m68935) HM
On October 18, 1886 the railroad arrived at the lands of Mission San Miguel. The railroad provided transportation to take San Miguel cattle and produce to market, it also provided lumber and store goods to fuel the expanding population. The township . . . — — Map (db m59835) HM
Here, on the historic Piedra Blanca Rancho, William Randolph Hearst created La Cuesta Encantada (The Enchanted Hill), including La Casa Grande and adjacent buildings. With their rare art treasures and beautiful gardens. 1919-1947
Presented to . . . — — Map (db m68492) HM
Almost Lost Forever
In the late 1800s whalers discovered elephant seal blubber yielded extremely high quality oil. Hunted by the thousands for several decades, these animals were thought to be extinct until a small group was found on Guadalupe . . . — — Map (db m81694) HM
The Redwood City Volunteer Fire Department started in 1861, and was the first non-profit organization in San Mateo County. It wasn’t until 1921 when this building at 1044 Middlefield Road was built that the firefighters finally received a salary. . . . — — Map (db m60490) HM
The Australian company British Commonwealth Pacific Airlines DC-6B, VH-BPE, on a scheduled flight from Sydney to San Francisco with a final destination of Vancouver, Canada, crashed on Kings Mountain in San Mateo County during the morning hours of . . . — — Map (db m70332) HM
Built in 1826 by Daniel Hill of Massachusetts for his bride Rafaela Luisa Ortega y Olivera, granddaughter of José Francisco Ortega, founder and first Comandante of the Royal Presidio of Santa Barbara. Later occupied by the family of Guillermo . . . — — Map (db m50559) HM
This memorial honors the residents of Santa Barbara County, who as members of the United States Armed Forces, died in the service of their country in peace and in war.
473 Santa Barbara County residents are known to have made the ultimate . . . — — Map (db m72034) WM
City Landmark No. 10
Dedicated on October 13, 1988
This chapel is the oldest naval chapel in the Pacific and the first interdenominational chapel in the service. Originally dedicated on October 13, 1901, this shingle style chapel was designed by . . . — — Map (db m78899) HM
Named for Lt. Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra, who discovered the Bay of Bodega on October 3, 1775.
Russian settlement originally called Kuskoff, founded by M de Kuskoff.
In 1843 Stephen Smith an American, erected in this vicinity the first . . . — — Map (db m73709) HM
Founded 1812 by Russians from Sitka. When Russians withdrew to Alaska, 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies. Acquired by State in 1906 and remaining buildings restored - Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandants Quarters and Stockade. . . . — — Map (db m68792) HM
There was once a large lake in the valley to the east. Early Indian settlers called it Lake Tolay, after their former chief; hence the name Lakeville for the community that developed on this site. The first boat landing was built in 1853. Passengers . . . — — Map (db m78065) HM
Petaluma Adobe served as the center for General Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in northern California; Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in . . . — — Map (db m71981) HM
Wilson Elementary School was established in 1863 to serve the ranch families of West Petaluma. In 1908 a larger school was needed. The new school housed 4 or 5 classrooms and an auditorium. A picture of this school, designed by locally famous . . . — — Map (db m78070) HM
Giovanni Minoggio and Giacomo Mazza, on land purchased from General Mariano Vallejo, built this plumstone building in 1870. When the railroad tracks were extended to Sonoma and the Sonoma train depot built across the street from the Mazza House, the . . . — — Map (db m78904) HM
Sonoma Valley Women’s Club was founded September 21, 1901 by eleven local women led by Martha Stearns.
In 1911 the lot at 574-First Street East was purchased by S.V.W.C. from Katherine Poppe on which their club house was to be built. Funds for . . . — — Map (db m78923) HM
This is the site of the Poppe General Store, law office and flats, portions of which date back to 1861, all of which were destroyed by a fire in 1911.
The following year this building was constructed as a law office, using fireproof concrete and . . . — — Map (db m66091) HM
The Sonoma Index was founded in 1879 by Benjamin Frank. It is the successor to the Sonoma Bulletin (1852-1855), the first California newspaper published north of San Francisco.
The Index was purchased in 1884 by Harry H. Granice, maternal . . . — — Map (db m78925) HM
This stone building, having withstood a fire and numerous earthquakes, was originally constructed in 1904 to house a brewery
During “Prohibition”, in 1931, Gaetano “Tom” Vella and his wife, Zolita, Clerici Vella converted . . . — — Map (db m78905) HM
Built in 1853 by James W. Kerrick. Having come over the emigrant trail, to Keystone District with nine covered wagons. This place originally housed a restaurant, bar rooms and stables. Located on the main road from San Joaquin and Bay Region into . . . — — Map (db m53311) HM
Springfield was founded in 1850 with up to 2000 inhabitants. Its downfall soon commenced, however, owing, in great part, to the foreign miner’s tax.
This cemetery, located on a hill above the town, was first used in 1852 and the last burial was . . . — — Map (db m72195) HM
This building was built as Madame Louis' French Laundry in 1856. The area to the right has remained a garden since 1852. In 1976 Grace Burns deeded as a gift cabin to U.O.P. which had used the property since 1952. State purchased it in 1991. — — Map (db m62023) HM
The Bartleson-Bidwell party of 34 people was the first emigrant group to cross the Sierra Nevada mountains from the east. When they passed through this area during late October 1841, some of the party tried to follow the river. The impassable canyon . . . — — Map (db m78076) HM
The canyon to your right was the scene of the last battle between Indians and whites in Tuolumne County. On February 10, 1858, a band of Piutes attacked a group of employees of the Columbia & Stanislaus River Water Co. In the fight which followed . . . — — Map (db m78075) HM
Richard Stephen's Grocery Store was built in 1910. The original sidewalk, inlaid in tile with the name Stephen's, remains in the floor at the main entrance to the market. Located in the grocery store at the time was a small post office and a . . . — — Map (db m78004) HM
These structures were built in 1917. Early businesses included a hardware store, shoe store and bakery. For a short time it housed a three lane bowling alley. The building was also once a grocery store. In 1930, City Hall moved into the north half . . . — — Map (db m77903) HM
Built in 1910 as Goodenough's Men's Store, this building served as the local men's clothing store until the mid-1980s. The building was then purchased and converted into a gun and sporting goods store. The building suffered moderate damage in the . . . — — Map (db m77908) HM
The Towne Theatre was constructed of unreinforced brick in 1918. The single-screen theater was used to show silent movies and the stage area was used for vaudeville. Mary Pickford performed here. The theater was closed due to extensive damage from . . . — — Map (db m77911) HM
This building was constructed in 1915 in conjunction with the Towne Theatre and served as the center for recreation in Fillmore. The first floor of the building included a one-lane bowling alley, four pool tables and a soda fountain. The second . . . — — Map (db m77912) HM
This store was completely rebuilt following the 1994 earthquake. The building has six apartments on the upper floor and a 'breezeway' to the rear parking lot. The Ballard Family has been in the furniture business for more than 60 years. This . . . — — Map (db m77913) HM
This hardware store was one of five owned by the three Hickey brothers of Ventura. The first location of this store was approximately 312 Central Avenue and was established by 1919. Harvey S. Patterson was the manager.
Harvey S. and Edith . . . — — Map (db m77915) HM
This building is one of the oldest surviving structures in Fillmore, having been built in 1913. It was constructed for the Farmers and Merchants Bank, which then became Security First National Bank and later Security Pacific National Bank, before a . . . — — Map (db m77917) HM
This building was constructed in 1917 to house the Fillmore State Bank, which had been founded in 1905 by Judge Felix Ewing and John Carne. In 1927 it became the Bank of Italy; the name was changed in 1930 to Bank of America. In 1965 the building . . . — — Map (db m77889) HM
1855. Largest town in eastern Yuba County, and at height of its prosperity contained a church, theater, stores, hotels, and saloons. Old Wells Fargo Office and Stewart Bros.; Store restored, 1928, and dedicated to pioneer men and women of Timbuctoo. — — Map (db m57629) HM
Lincoln Photograph. Abraham Lincoln visited the city of Macomb twice in 1858. His first visit lasted from August 25th to August 26th, and it was unexpected. The Randolph House was the place that attracted Abraham Lincoln to Macomb. Lincoln . . . — — Map (db m59987) HM
Built in 1857, William H. Randolph opened this magnificent hotel with an elegance unknown at the time.
Abraham Lincoln was a guest on two occasions, August 25th and October 25th, 1858. Both during his senatorial campaign, rivaling Stephen . . . — — Map (db m62286) HM
Willa Cather first came to Webster County from Virginia in 1883 at the age of nine. The vast open prairies of Nebraska made a lasting impression on her. "This country was mostly wild pasture and as naked as the back of your hand. I was little and . . . — — Map (db m77973) HM
284 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 84