Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

8977 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 8777
 
Fort Knox and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 23, 2011
Fort Knox and Marker
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Hosaqami
a replica of the original pole carved in 1960 by Chief Mungo Martin Carved by Chief Tony Hunt and Raised on 8 September 2012 in the presence of The Honourable Steven L. Point, OBC Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia in honour . . . — Map (db m75002) HM WM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — From Mudflat to Rain Garden — Fisherman's Wharf Park
A sports field served James Bay for many years until the Community envisioned a new park space. On August 27th, 2009 City Council adopted the Fisherman's Wharf Management Plan. The plan was completed in two phases and the Mayor celebrated the . . . — Map (db m74385) HM
British Columbia (Capital Regional District), Victoria — Warrant Officers Married Quarters / Logement de l'adjudant

This building was constructed in 1897. It was built of brick to British Royal Engineer specifications and during its life it was subjected to several modifications.

Originally it was to accommodate a Master Gunner and his family, but a . . . — Map (db m99253) HM

Ontario (Leeds and Grenville Counties), Kemptville — St. James' Memorial Church

This Church was erected "to the honour of Almighty God and in memory of the late Venerable Archdeacon Patton, first Rector of this Parish." The cornerstone was laid on 28th. May 1878 by the Rt. Rev. John Travers Lewis, Lord Bishop of Ontario. . . . — Map (db m102076) HM

Ontario (Middlesex County), London — The British Garrison in London
In one of several concentrations of British troops in Upper Canada various infantry and artillery units were stationed on a military reserve here during the mid-19th century. The garrison, which contributed significantly to the economic growth of . . . — Map (db m18918) HM
Germany, Baden-Wόrttemberg (Tόbingen District), Bebenhausen — Klostermόhle / Monastery Mill
Untere mόhle · erbaut 1447 aufgestockt 1780 · umbau zu e-werk 1900 unter Kφnig Wilhelm II · renoviert 1977 ————— 1978 Tόbingen Stadtbild wettbewerb . . . — Map (db m77478) HM
Ireland, Ulster (County Donegal), Slieve League — Chough / Cαg Cos-dearg — Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax — Walking Through Donegal / Ag Siϊl Trνd Dhϊn na nGall
The Chough is called cαg cos-dearg in Irish - the red-footed jackdaw. It can be easily recognized by its glossy black coat, its red bill and legs, a sharp shrill call and its acrobatic flight. They normally nest in crevices and caves on rocky . . . — Map (db m71696) HM
Italy, Lazio (Metropolitan City of Rome), Rome — Domus Flavia, so-called Lararium / Cd. Larario

Domus Flavia. So-called, Lararium The smaller room next to the so-called Audience Chamber is known as the Lararium because when it was discovered it had a podium at the back – accessible from two small staircases and clad in . . . — Map (db m84111) HM

Italy, Lazio (Metropolitan City of Rome), Rome — St. Regis Grand — Architetto: Guilio Podesti (1857 - 1909)

The Grand Hotel of Rome has recently been bought and refurbished by a multinational company which has named it the St. Regis Grand. Conceived by the renowned hotelier Cιsar Ritz at the suggestion of the then Italian Prime Minister, Marquis . . . — Map (db m85951) HM

United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — George Farquhar — c. 1677 - 1707 — Ulster History Circle
Playwright attended the Free School near this site — Map (db m70992) HM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — The Bloody Sunday Commemoration
This mural was painted to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Bloody Sunday. A circle frames the faces of the 14 victims with the youngest in the centre. The circle is the symbol of wholeness, the goal of the healing process. Fourteen oak . . . — Map (db m71158) HM WM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland (County Londonderry), Derry-Londonderry — War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m70926) WM
Alabama (Clay County), Ashland — Clay County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the veterans of Clay County who so unselfishly served and to those who died in defense of their country Let it be said “We will never forget” Left Panel List of World War I, World War II and Korean War veterans . . . — Map (db m14302) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Boeing B-52D "Stratofortress"
Remaining in operation longer than any bomber in U.S. military history, the B-52 was the Strategic Air Command's principal long-range heavy bomber from the time it became operational in 1955. Affectionately known as the BUFF (Big Ugly Fat . . . — Map (db m64474) HM
Arizona (Coconino County), Walnut Canyon National Monument — A Community Sharing the Land
This was a community of relatives and neighbors. Its members worked together to haul water, hunt animals, and gather plants. They likely assisted each other with large fields on the rims. They shared walls and resources, joy and sorrow, success . . . — Map (db m61366) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — Blacksmith and Machine Shop — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
Farm and ranch work have always been hard on machinery, making frequent repairs necessary. Throughout Sahuaro Ranch's history, most of these repairs were made here by the ranch's own employees. This building, which is believed to have been . . . — Map (db m40676) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Glendale — The Barnyard — at Sahuaro Ranch . . .
The barnyard was the center of activity as Sahuaro Ranch. Horses and mules were stabled, trained, and shoed here. Cattle were brought to the corrals for branding, treatment and shipment. Farm implements and wagons were stored and repaired here. . . . — Map (db m40674) HM
Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — Silver Star Medal

Criteria: The Silver Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States is cited for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing . . . — Map (db m90778) HM WM

Arkansas (Benton County), Bella Vista — United States Commanders in Chief

[Written on the initial marker, provided for context] Our Constitution names the President of the United States the Commander in Chief of all the Armed Forces. Presidents who have served in our military are displayed on the following . . . — Map (db m92384) HM WM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Avarana

Resort home built 1899 by William Henry Reid of Chicago. Architect Theodore C. Link of St. Louis. Design reflects simplicity favored at end of Victorian era. Upper floors are wood with verandas on four sides. Lower floor is Beaver Limestone. In . . . — Map (db m80118) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — Crescent Spring and Trail

Crescent Spring was revered for its healing waters almost as much as the basin, the legendary Indian Healing Spring. Situated beside the Wagon Road on a hillside with a rocky outcropping described as "crescent" shaped, the spring was soon given . . . — Map (db m80135) HM

Arkansas (Carroll County), Eureka Springs — The Civic Center — South Main
These two large limestone public buildings anchor this part of downtown Eureka Springs. They span the deep ravine cut by Leatherwood Creek which flows in a tunnel beneath all the buildings on this entire part of Main Street. [Photo 1.] This . . . — Map (db m59964) HM
Arkansas (Sebastian County), Fort Smith — Purple Heart Memorial — Combat Wounded Veterans
. . . — Map (db m92352) WM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — John Peter Altgeld — Citizen, Volunteer Soldier, Lawyer, Judge, Orator — Governor of Illinois

Born December 30, 1847 Died March 12, 1902

These Tablets Containing Selections from his Public Utterances are dedicated by The John P. Altgeld Memorial Association . . . — Map (db m94388) HM

Illinois (Cook County), Morton Grove — The American Legion Memorial

Built in 1949 by Morton Grove Post 134 of the American Legion, Dept. of Illinois. This has been the post's home and base for veterans of military service of all eras to work together and provide help to their comrades and others with . . . — Map (db m94522) HM

Illinois (Fayette County), Brownstown — Brownstown Area Veterans Memorial — All Gave Some - Some Gave All — God Bless America
Dedicated in remembrance of our veterans Memorial Day 2001 by their friends and families Conceived by Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #9770 Brownstown, Il. Killed in Action L.H. Foley · M. Forbis · R.O. Cortelloni · C. . . . — Map (db m59628) WM
Illinois (Kane County), West Dundee — Otto J. Maha — 1907 - 1999 — In Memory of

This fountain is dedicated to Otto J. Maha and his contributions to fluid power technology.

Otto received his education through night classes at the Lewis Institute of Technology, now known as the Illinois Institute of . . . — Map (db m94524) HM

Illinois (Will County), Plainfield — Jesse Walker — 1766 - 1835

This monument was erected by Methodists North and South, and was dedicated by the Rock River Conference assembled in Joliet September Twenty-Seventh, Nineteen Hundred Eleven, in memory of

Jesse Walker 1766 - 1835

Susannah, his wife . . . — Map (db m94041) HM

Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — Flood Retention Walls
The concrete retention walls at the north end of the plaza will help downtown Fort Wayne withstand future flooding when the rivers rise. They were constructed where sandbaggers and volunteers worked during the flood of 1982 to build a dike to . . . — Map (db m17061) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), Rensselaer — Jasper County World War Memorial
To honor those who went from Jasper County to serve in The World War Dedicated November 11, 1927 — Map (db m27706) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana
At historic Vincennes the first Lodge of Freemasons in the present State of Indiana was established, 1809, by the Grand Lodge of Kentucky. Since 1818 it has worked under Indiana charter as Vincennes Lodge No. 1. — Map (db m61836) HM
Iowa (Cerro Gordo County), Mason City — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m89676) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 69 Jefferson
. . . — Map (db m72515) HM
Iowa (Madison County), Winterset — 70, 72, 74 Court Avenue — c.1870
This building is constructed of locally made soft bricks and originally housed three separate businesses. The east section was home to a variety of grocery stores, a jewelry store, a Skelgas appliance store, and a plumbing and heating business. . . . — Map (db m72730) HM
Iowa (Montgomery County), Red Oak — George H. Hawkins Memorial — In Memory Of — Rainbow Division World War I

Died in Prium, Germany, December 25, 1918 — Map (db m87938) HM

Iowa (Page County), Clarinda — Essie Pearl Davison — In Memory of

This 400 Acre Farm Given to Page County, Iowa November 29, 1991

"as a memorial to my father Allen Davison"

Dedicated November 1, 1994 — Map (db m87989) HM

Iowa (Page County), Shenandoah — Western Normal College Bell

After Shenandoah's Western Normal College burned for the second time in 1917 (the first fire was in 1891 when Henry Field was a student there) this bell was taken from the ashes of that fire and put atop Henry Field's "seedhouse" at 407 . . . — Map (db m87572) HM

Iowa (Page County), Shenandoah — World War II Memorial — 1941 • 1945

In honor of the men from Shenandoah who died in World War II

Don Barret • Albert Black • Grant N. Braden • Morris Carlson • Ernest W. Chase, Jr. • Larry B. Clancy • Clayton Croft • Neil B. Davis • Bud Deweese • Robert W. Dideriksen • . . . — Map (db m87823) WM

Iowa (Taylor County), Bedford — Taylor County Courthouse — 1892 - 93 — Iowa Historic Site

This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places

Iowa State Historical Department Division of Historical Preservation — Map (db m87036) HM

Iowa (Wapello County), Eldon — The Artist, Grant Wood

"I want to reach everyday people, not just the art critics of the world." -Grant Wood

Early Life Grant Devolson Wood was born on February 13, 1891 on a farm near Anamosa, Iowa. From a young age Wood wanted to be an . . . — Map (db m90312) HM

Kansas (Atchison County), Atchison — "Grand Village des Canzes" — Atchison County Historic Site — Lifeways of the Kanza
Independence Creek was noted as the main settlement of the Kanza Tribe as far back as 1673. By the time French explorer Etienne Veniard de Bourgmont arrived in 1724 this was considered an old village and the capital of the Kanza nation. This . . . — Map (db m52993) HM
Kansas (Barton County), Great Bend — Enola Gay — 509th Composite Group
. . . — Map (db m66263) WM
Kansas (Bourbon County), Fort Scott — Combat Infantrymen
To Honor All Combat Infantrymen We were boys and we were young We became men on that hill we overrun Some of us lived, many of us died For a moment with us abide And join in prayer with me To honor those of the combat infantry . . . — Map (db m44169) HM
Kansas (Bourbon County), Mapleton — Mrs. Rosco Chenoweth

These shrubs planted in memory of Mrs. Rosco Chenoweth First president of the Home & Garden Club — Map (db m80084) HM

Kansas (Brown County), Horton — 111 — First REA Project in Kansas
At this site the first power pole for the Brown-Atchison Electric Cooperative was dedicated in special ceremony on November 10, 1937. Brown-Atchison was the first rural electric project to energize in Kansas financed by loan funds from the Rural . . . — Map (db m63774) HM
Kansas (Butler County), El Dorado — The Gypsy Spudder
This Cable Tool Drilling Machine, Serial No. 5, was manufactured in Chanute, Kansas by Sutcliffe Pipe & Supply, Joe H. Sutcliffe, owner. Built in early 1949, this is the only known remaining machine. "The Gypsy" was found on a farm east of . . . — Map (db m56133) HM
Kansas (Chautauqua County), Sedan — N B "Stony" Wall
First Ford Agency in Kansas — Map (db m57905) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Baxter Springs — Cafι on the Route — Route 66 Roadside Attraction
Built circa 1870, the cafι was formerly the Crowell Bank, which Jesse James robbed in 1876. It is currently a restaurant and bed and breakfast. Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark program as a site worth seeing. — Map (db m37551) HM
Kansas (Cherokee County), Baxter Springs — Johnston Public Library

This grand building was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Built in 1872, it was intended to be the county courthouse, but was never used for that purpose. Through the years, the building has served as a city hall and . . . — Map (db m80350) HM

Kansas (Cherokee County), Baxter Springs — Veterans Memorial

To the loving memory of those men and women who gave their lives in all past wars and to all veterans who served our great country we dedicate this tank We thank you for your sacrifices

This M-60 forty five ton Army tank was donated by . . . — Map (db m80333) WM

Kansas (Coffey County), Burlington — Burlington, Kansas — From A Campground To A City
Restoration Capital and Pressed Metal Ceiling Capital of Kansas Centennial 1857-1957 Sesquicentennial 1857-2007 Bi-Centennial 1857-2057 Fernando Augustus Atherly 1835 - 1904 First Mayor of Burlington Elected 1870 Amarette . . . — Map (db m50068) HM
Kansas (Crawford County), Greenbush — 3 — The Legend of Greenbush
According to legend, in 1869, Father Phillip Colleton was caught at this site by a furious hail and thunderstorm. The frightened priest took refuge under his saddle and vowed that if his life was spared, he would build a church on this spot. The . . . — Map (db m46241) HM
Kansas (Doniphan County), Highland — The Oregon-California Trail
From the early 1840s to 1865 the Oregon-California Trail was the most important route for settlers traveling west. Wagon trains camped at the Iowa, Sac and Fox Mission to take advantage of the spring and the blacksmith. They were followed in the . . . — Map (db m47930) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — House Building
Built 1858-1860 for Josiah Miller Survived Quantrill's Raid, August 21, 1863 Facade altered 1921 Jacob House and descendants, clothiers, occupied this site 1862-1935 — Map (db m76208) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — John Brown and the Siege of Lawrence, September 14-15, 1856
On the afternoon of September 14th, 1856, the Free State settlement of Lawrence, Kansas Territory was threatened with invasion by an army of 2700 Pro-slavery Missourians under the command of Generals David R. Atchison and John W. Reid. Encamping . . . — Map (db m76325) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Castle Tea Room
1869 In 1869, General John N. Roberts, a Civil War veteran, and his wife Emily, moved to Kansas and established their business and family in Lawrence. The Robertses [sic] had one daughter, Isabella, affectionately called "Belle." Roberts . . . — Map (db m77559) HM
Kansas (Ellis County), Hays — Fort Hays
As settlement increased in the West during the 1850s and 1860s, the U.S. Army built and maintained a series of frontier forts, usually on major transportation routes. Trail traffic and railroad expansion came into conflict with native people who . . . — Map (db m59794) HM
Kansas (Harvey County), Halstead — Halstead Santa Fe Depot — 1917

has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81269) HM

Kansas (Jackson County), Soldier — Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Veterans of All Wars Dedicated May 30, 1933 — Map (db m63857) HM
Kansas (Johnson County), Gardner — Dodge Sisters' Millinery Shop
. . . — Map (db m92569) HM
Kansas (Johnson County), Gardner — Site of Bigelow-Foster Mercantile — Est. 1881

Moved to this location in 1889; Rebuilt in brick after fire destroyed the wooden structure. — Map (db m92567) HM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Fort Leavenworth — Captain William Clark — 1770 - 1838
Captain William Clark epitomized the best qualities of the American citizen-soldier and their seminal contributions to the development of the United States. Clark was born 1 August, 1770 to a modest, but accomplished and fiercely patriotic . . . — Map (db m66682) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Fort Leavenworth — General Creighton W. Abrams — USMA Class of 1936
Brilliant, daring tactician - Co 37th Tank BN, Europe 1944-45 Talented, intelligent, hardworking - Chief of Staff, I, X, and [sic] Corps, Korea 1953-54 Indomitable, sensitive, straightforward - Asst. Chief of Staff, Civil Affairs, . . . — Map (db m66665) HM
Kansas (Linn County), Centerville — Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Onkweonweke Katsitsiio Teotsitsianekaron — (The Fairest Flower That Ever Bloomed Among The Red Men) — 1656 - 1680 (Died at Age 24)
Kateri was an Indian princess. Her father Kenneronkwa was a chief of the Mohawk-Iroquois (Turtle Clan). Her mother was Kahenta of the Algonquin tribe. This young Indian maiden is honored on July 14 as the first North American Indian proposed . . . — Map (db m70641) HM
Kansas (Linn County), Mound City — Barn

Original date built unknown Relocated to park in 1986 [Balance illegible] — Map (db m93388) HM

Kansas (Linn County), Mound City — Mound City Depot — Built ?

Relocated to park in 1981 Missouri Pacific route ran from Butler, Missouri to Mound City, Kansas. Last train ran in 1949, bringing poles to complete the rural electric service to Linn County Contains antiques and memorabilia from . . . — Map (db m93386) HM

Kansas (Logan County), Oakley — Annie Oakley
At a time when shooting was America's second most popular spectator sport (after horse racing), Annie Oakley (1860-1926) was the superstar. She was born Phoebe Ann Moses in Darke County, Ohio. Her family was extremely poor, and she learned . . . — Map (db m66063) HM
Kansas (Lyon County), Emporia — Emporia's Mexican American Veterans Memorial
In honor of the Mexican American men and women of Emporia, Kansas, who proudly served their country Killed in Action WWII Jesse Garcia • Robert Ramirez — Map (db m49836) HM
Kansas (Lyon County), Emporia — In Commemoration of the College of Emporia

Founded by the Presbyterian Synod of Kansas 1882 - 1974

This memorial was gratefully presented to the City of Emporia, Kansas by the C of E Alumni Association 1984

The bell hung in Stuart Hall, the first building on the campus. . . . — Map (db m80550) HM

Kansas (Marion County), Pilsen — Chaplain (Captain) Emil J. Kapaun — 1st Cavalry United States Army
. . . — Map (db m64323) HM WM
Kansas (McPherson County), Elyria — 33 — Kansas Indian Treaty
In 1825 President James Monroe approved a bill providing for the survey of the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri to New Mexico and the making of treaties to insure friendly relations with Indians along the route. A mile west of this sign, on Dry Turkey . . . — Map (db m53059) HM
Kansas (Montgomery County), Caney — “Walking Stick” Cannon
Manufactured 1822 at Fort Pitt Foundry, Pitts. Pa (FPF) 6 pound shell, 3 5/8 bore, weight 742 lbs. The impractical slender design caused the barrel to burst. Only 100 were manufactured. Only 14 of this style survive in the United States. . . . — Map (db m57888) HM
Kansas (Montgomery County), Cherryvale — Carnegie Free Library
Entered as a National Historic Place August 1987 — Map (db m61432) HM
Kansas (Montgomery County), Coffeyville — Charles T. Connelly — In Memory Of
Who gave his life at this spot Dalton Raid October 5, 1892 — Map (db m60830) HM
Kansas (Montgomery County), Independence — A. C. Stich Memorial
to Captain S. D. Elliott Lieutenant W. McTaggart and other brave soldiers of the 20th Kansas who fell in the Spanish American War — Map (db m61449) WM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Baker's Food Market — 1947
This masonry building was constructed as a grocery store in 1947. The Baker family had grocery stores in the area for 127 years, from 1854 to 1981. — Map (db m45422) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Council Oak Acorn — Arbor Day 1931
Acorn from Council Oak — Map (db m45454) HM
Kansas (Morris County), Council Grove — Farmers & Drovers Bank — 1893 — Philomathian Heritage Plaque
Constructed by F. Roussillet, contractor, this building is an electic [sic] style two story brick with limestone Romanesque arches over half round stained glass windows, marble columns and a Bysantine [sic] dome. The adjacent business building was . . . — Map (db m45090) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — The First National Bank of Hutchinson — 1 North Main Street — 1876
The First National Bank of Hutchinson, Hutchinson's first bank, has been located on the corner of Sherman and Main since 1876, when the first building was purchased from C.C. Hutchinson. In 1911 on Lot 1, architect Daniel Burnham designed . . . — Map (db m63470) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Whiteside Building — 126 North Main — 1904
An early skylight drew Morton Interiors, McInturff Photo Studio and Three Sisters Clothing Store. Site originally was a livery stable. — Map (db m40076) HM
Kansas (Scott County), Scott State Park — Battle Canyon, 1878
This marks the site of the last encounter in the State of Kansas between Native Americans and the United States Troops. Homesick and ill, the Northern Cheyenne under the leadership of Chief Dull Knife and Little Wolf were trying to return to . . . — Map (db m65978) HM
Kansas (Sedgwick County), Wichita — Fiske Hall
Named in Honor of Mrs. Charlotte M. Morse Fiske Wrentham, Massachusetts Benefactor of Fairmount College Cornerstone: October 28, 1904 Dedication: June 6, 1906 Norman S. Patton, Architect, Chicago Wichita Contractors: J. V. Wood, . . . — Map (db m56254) HM
Kansas (Sedgwick County), Wichita — W. S. Grant Building — Built 1906 — Wichita Warehouse and Jobbers District
Built For The Grant-Billingsley Fruit Company (First of 4 Buildings) Historic Address: 133 N. Rock Island Current Address: 131 N. Rock Island — Map (db m56486) HM
Kansas (Shawnee County), Topeka — Everest Methodist Church — 1880
The heritage of this church began as the Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal congregation organized in 1861 with meetings being held in the home of Thomas and Catherine Price in Brown County near the town of Everest. Following the Civil War there was . . . — Map (db m65027) HM
Kansas (Wabaunsee County), Alma — Strasen Farm Stone
In 1884 this stone was used to construct the Machine Shop on the Strasen Farm. In 2008 the stone was donated for this wall in memory of Althea and Edgar Strasen by the Jim Johnson family. — Map (db m64876) HM
Kansas (Woodson County), Yates Center — World War and Veterans Memorial
Memorial A tribute to Woodson County's Soldiers and Sailors of the World War and Veterans of All Wars U.S.A. — Map (db m55984) HM
Kansas (Wyandotte County), Bonner Springs — Bomber Builders
This memorial is erected in recognition of the men and women who built the B-25 bombers at the North American Aviation plant in Kansas City, Kansas, during World War II. Between December 1941, and August 1945, over 50,000 employees built 6,608 . . . — Map (db m46290) HM
Maine (Hancock County), Bucksport — Fort Knox
Construction of Fort Knox began in 1844 and was halted while still unfinished 25 years and $1 million later. The Fort has never seen any military action. The largest of 133 total cannons fired a 315 pound shell 4,680 yards. The granite was . . . — Map (db m55114) HM
Maine (Knox County), Owl's Head — Owl's Head Light
Land purchased from heirs of Nathaniel Merryman by the United States of America November 22, 1824 Contractors - Jeremiah Berry Robert Foster, Ballard Green Beacon Installed - Winslow Lewis 1st Lightkeeper - Isaac Stearns First . . . — Map (db m52323) HM
Maine (Knox County), Thomaston — The Voyage of Captain George Waymouth
To commemorate the voyage of Captain George Waymouth to the Coast of Maine in 1605 His discovery and exploration of the St. Georges River and planting a Cross on the northerly shore of this harbor where the river "trended . . . — Map (db m54665) HM
Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Heath Michael Robinson — SOCS (SEAL), United States Navy — In Memory of

Born - 5 June 1977 KIA - 6 August 2011

Loving Son, Brother, Husband, Father — Map (db m97900) WM

Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Eagles

The Eagles installed on the Convention Center Plaza are artifacts removed from the 1927 era Auditorium which was located on the nearby site now occupied by the new Minneapolis Convention Center. The old Auditorium was bounded by Grant Street on . . . — Map (db m91399) HM

Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — The Bell
About the middle of January 1915, the convent bell was Blessed and placed in the Belfry of the Our Lady of the Angels Academy. Rev. Rather Barras preformed [sic] the ceremony. It was named, Michael, Ignatius, Francis, Anthony, Columba. — Map (db m78429) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — WPA Water Tower & Shelter Building
Holding Up The H2O The water tower was completed in 1939 by Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers. It stands three stories high. Water towers use gravity to create pressure that moves water through supply pipes. Each foot of . . . — Map (db m78380) HM
Missouri (Bates County), Butler — Prairie Fire and the Battle of Island Mound
In the 1860s, the vast, rolling tallgrass prairies of the Osage Plains stretched for miles. Maintained by periodic fires for approximately 5,000 years before European settlement, prairie once covered approximately 78 percent of Bates County, Mo. . . . — Map (db m60613) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Iatan — Wetland Habitats of the Past — Little Bean Marsh Conservation Area — The Journey of Lewis & Clark
July 4th Wednesday (1804) ...proceeded on, passed the mouth of a Bayeau lading from a large Lake on the S.S. which has the appearance of being once the bed of the river & reaches parrelel for several Miles... William Clark Traveling up the . . . — Map (db m44569) HM
Missouri (Buchanan County), Saint Joseph — SPC Edward "Eddie" Lee Myers — June 12, 1984 - July 27, 2005
Killed in Action Operation Iraqi Freedom United States Army 3rd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga “I made the ultimate sacrifice for you” — Map (db m55833) WM
Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Antioch Church

"The Antioch Congregation was organized as a Christain [sic] Church (Disciples of Christ) in September 1853 by Moses Easterly Lard (1818-1880), Pastor of the Liberty Christain [sic] Church in Missouri. Its first 'Meeting House', a one room . . . — Map (db m86636) HM

Missouri (Clay County), North Kansas City — Curran Park
February 3, 1903, Chicago meat packers Armour & Company and Swift & Company founded the North Kansas City Development Company. It purchased from Willard E. Winner several thousand acres of Clay County property immediately north of the Missouri . . . — Map (db m73534) HM
Missouri (Cole County), Jefferson City — Corps of Discovery — (1804 - 1806)
Meriwether Lewis • William Clark York • Seaman • George Drouillard ——————— Sculptor: Sabra Tull Meyer Columbia, Missouri Project Designer: Austin Tao St. Louis, Missouri . . . — Map (db m62317) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Independence — Kritser House
Martin Kritser, a grocer, bought this lot in 1847 and probably had the house built soon after. Patrick McCarty, one time saloon keeper on this square, bought it in 1849. This modest house is typical of the majority of houses built during the city's . . . — Map (db m34843) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Kansas City — James Silas Calhoun — 1802 - 1852
Died on the Santa Fe Trail between Council Grove, Ks. and Kansas City, Mo. Member, Georgia State Legislature Mexican War Veteran First Territorial Governor of New Mexico — Map (db m63021) HM
Missouri (Jackson County), Kansas City — The Jesse Clyde Nichols Memorial Fountain — 1880 • 1950

J. C. Nichols was one of those rare individuals, a dreamer with a capacity for making his dreams come true. He dreamed more over in terms of great practical benefit to his city, few men can have so variously and profoundly influenced the . . . — Map (db m88238) HM

Missouri (Jasper County), Joplin — Quinby Building
Built in 1882 by Thomas Cunningham to house the Cunningham National Bank. Present facade reflects a circa 1922 remodeling when the name was changed to the Quinby Building. Partial facade restoration was made possible in 1990 by a grant from the . . . — Map (db m35043) HM
Missouri (Lafayette County), Dover — Santa Fe Trail — 1821 - 1872 — Dover

[Title is text] — Map (db m90895) HM

Missouri (Platte County), Kansas City — C1 — KC's Baseball Story
To many fans outside of K.C., it might seem as if the birth of baseball here began when Ewing Kauffman founded the Kansas City Royals in 1969, and gave the town the beautiful, now-named Kauffman Stadium in 1973. And it might seem as if our most . . . — Map (db m43218) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Parkville — Park Bank - Farmers Exchange Bank — 1917
[Title is text] — Map (db m65995) HM
Missouri (Platte County), Platte City — Platte City — William McClung Paxton
Here in 1839, with the "Platte Purchase", some of many settlers from Kentucky joined to establish Platte City; one, an Attorney, Merchant, Farmer, Mill Operator, Abstractor, Banker, Public Administrator, Genealogist, Historian, Poet and Civic . . . — Map (db m63521) HM
Missouri, St. Louis — John Mason Peck — Oct. 31, 1789 - Mar. 16, 1858
Pioneer Baptist Missionary, Statesman, Founder of Shurtleff College — Map (db m62185) HM
Missouri (Vernon County), Nevada — Nevada - Vernon County Centennial — 1855 - 1955
Erected in commemoration of the centennial of the Charter of Vernon County and the Founding of the City of Nevada. James H. Deman, Mayor, Jess M. Banes, Presiding Judge-County Court Incorporated in the base of this monument is a sealed box to . . . — Map (db m34307) HM
Missouri (Vernon County), Nevada — Vernon County's Southern Heritage
The coming of the Border War and the May 26, 1863, burning of Nevada City by Federal Militia. Artist: Michael McClure 2002 Dedicated to: the Vernon Countians Who Endured — Map (db m39857) HM
Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — First National Bank Building — Graham, Burnham & Co. — Constructed 1916
Has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m78478) HM
Nebraska (Lancaster County), University of Nebraska - Lincoln — "America's Mission"
On February 22, 1899, William Jennings Bryan gave one of the most renowned speeches in American History. The presentation, given in Washington, D.C., was entitle, "America's Mission". He spoke of purpose and direction and challenge, and . . . — Map (db m66848) HM
Nebraska (Nemaha County), Peru — 80 — Peru State College
Peru State College, originally incorporated as Mount Vernon Seminary, became Nebraska's first state-supported college on June 20, 1867. The school was initially organized and largely financed by local residents, then offered to the Methodist . . . — Map (db m78461) HM
Nebraska (Otoe County), Nebraska City — Barge / Keelboat (replica)
The Lewis & Clark Expedition Barge/Keelboat was 55 feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide and drew 2 to 2.5 foot [sic] of water when loaded with an estimated 12 to 15 ton[s] of supplies. The preponderance of the historic evidence indicates that it . . . — Map (db m66982) HM
New York (Jefferson County), Cape Vincent — World War II Memorial
• Erected in Honor • of all those who served in World War II from the Town of Cape Vincent and in memory of those who paid the Supreme Sacrifice 1941 - 1945 Joseph L. Dennee • Karl H. Jackson Charles L. Tebo • Charles H. . . . — Map (db m75687) WM
New York (Monroe County), Brockport — Main Street Brockport Enterprises in the Early 1900s — Daniel Holmes, the spirit of Main Street
1. Daniel Holmes (1828-1917) practiced law in offices on Main Street from 1852 until his death. He was Village Clerk for twenty years, Justice of the Peace for thirty years, Vestryman at St. Luke's Episcopal Church for fifty years, and . . . — Map (db m75804) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Hammond — William McNeil
Wm. McNeil, Hammond area's first settler, came from Vermont to Chippewa Bay pre 1812. Statue by local artist Carmen D'Avino — Map (db m75621) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Ogdensburg — Fort Oswegatchie 1760-1796 — Staging for Attack — Revolutionary War
This fort served a strategic role in the conduct of military campaigns that shaped our country. A British Foothold in the St. Lawrence Valley Fort de la Prιsentation was renamed Fort Oswegatchie by the British when they occupied the . . . — Map (db m75838) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-62 — Henry Evans
Free black cobbler & minister. Built first Methodist church in Fayetteville. Died 1810. Buried 2 blocks north. — Map (db m30884) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Liberty Point
This historic structure, circa 1791, is the oldest known commercial building in Fayetteville. It was restored as a community service by Fayetteville's hometown newspaper. — Map (db m24432) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Town House
Lafayette was escorted from the Clarendon Bridge to the Town House, which stood at this site. A spacious stage had been erected in front of the Town House. The various military units formed lines on each side of the street, and Lafayette's carriage . . . — Map (db m24449) HM
Ohio (Belmont County), Bellaire — Colonel John H. Sullivan — Dedicated to the Life and Memory of
The Father of Bellaire, Ohio who "could hear more distinctly than other men, the footsteps of coming generations" In November 1854, Colonel Sullivan platted the Harris Farm for a community incorporated in 1860 as Bellaire City, and in . . . — Map (db m78495) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Middletown — The Miami & Erie Canal Lift Bridge
The lift bridge built in 1899 across the Miami & Erie Canal at Third Street (now Central Ave.), was the third bridge at this site since the canal began in 1825. An electric motor was used to raise the west portion of the floor of the bridge up the . . . — Map (db m30431) HM
Ohio (Champaign County), Urbana — C22 — Hull's Headquarters
Here, Gen. William Hull largely recruited his army for his campaign against the British at Detroit, in the War of 1812. — Map (db m13821) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Enon — Mad River Township Civil War Memorial
In memory of the Patriots of Mad River Township who died for the Union. 1865. — Map (db m13302) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — George Rogers Clark — Namesake of Clark County
In June of 1780 British and Indian forces seized Ruddle's and Martin's Stations in Kentucky. On August 8, 1780 George Rogers Clark led a force of nearly 1000 Kentucky militia under authority of Virginia to engage the British led Shawnee at the . . . — Map (db m13887) HM
Ohio (Clark County), Springfield — Jeremiah Warder and Ann Aston Warder — 1780 - 1849 and 1781 - 1871

Jeremiah and his wife Ann, wealthy Quakers from Philadelphia, arrive in Springfield in 1830 to claim extensive acreage inherited from his late father’s estate. That same year, he purchases from the estate the village of Lagonda consisting of . . . — Map (db m81890) HM

Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Strongsville — Town Hall and School Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Town Hall & School Building 1879 New Town Hall & School Building Dedicated December 31, 1879 . . . — Map (db m44856) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Canal Winchester — 17-25 — Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge — 1887-1991
(Side A) In March, 1887, the Franklin County Commissioners announced the building of a bridge in Madison Township over Little Walnut Creek at Kramer's Ford. Area citizens had petitioned for a bridge to transport agricultural products to the . . . — Map (db m12515) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — Ohio Institution for Education of the Blind
This nine acres of land was purchased by the citizens of Columbus in 1837, and deeded to the state for use as the Ohio School for the Blind. The first building, designed by N. B. Kelly and occupied in October 1839, was replaced by the current . . . — Map (db m17178) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 87-25 — Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli / Chiesta Italiana di San Giovanni Battista
Side A: Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli The National Italian Catholic parish of Saint John the Baptist was founded in October 1896 by the Reverend Father Alexander Cestelli, D.D. Father Cestelli was born in Fiesole, Italy and came to . . . — Map (db m14487) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 28-25 — St. Mary Church
St. Mary Church was dedicated in 1868 in response to the spiritual needs of the growing German-Catholic population of Columbus’ South Side. The original schoolhouse, which stands behind the church, was erected in 1865 under the direction of Rev. . . . — Map (db m20522) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 103-25 — The Lincoln Theatre
The Lincoln Theatre, originally known as Ogden Theatre Lodge, opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. Developer Al Jackson was spurred to build the theatre because African-Americans were segregated from the other area theatres. Among the bands that have . . . — Map (db m17378) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — The Negro Leagues in Columbus — 1900, 1908, 1921, 1930, 1932-33, 1935
Columbus' Negro League teams were the Black Tourists (1900, 1908), the Buckeyes (1921), the Keystones (1930), the Turfs (1932), the Blue Birds (1933), and the Elite Giants (1935). Most Columbus Negro League home games were played at Neil Park. . . . — Map (db m30031) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), Columbus — 74-25 — Tuskegee Airmen
The “Tuskegee Experience,” a program of the Army Air Corps to train African Americans as military pilots, began at Tuskegee Army Air Field in Alabama in 1941. At home and abroad during World War II, the Tuskegee Airmen prevailed against . . . — Map (db m13804) HM
Ohio (Gallia County), Gallipolis — 14-27 — Gallia County, Gallipolis and the Ohio River
The Ohio River, the southeast border of Gallia County, played a significant role in the development of Gallipolis and Gallia County. One of the state's first thoroughfares, this waterway enabled pioneers to settle in what was known as the Northwest . . . — Map (db m30497) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Wilberforce — 17-29 — Hallie Quinn Brown
[Marker Front]: Hallie Quinn Brown (c.1850) was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to former slaves. She and her family moved to Wilberforce, Ohio in 1870, where she received a Bachelor of Science degree from Wilberforce University in 1873. . . . — Map (db m14055) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 46-31 — The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives
Dr. Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995), pioneering historian of the American Jew, founded the American Jewish Archives (AJA) in Cincinnati in 1947. In the aftermath of World War II and the brutal destruction of European Jewry, Marcus anticipated the . . . — Map (db m24849) HM
Ohio (Hancock County), Findlay — Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients — State of Ohio, Hancock County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio, Hancock County Civil War Bensinger, William Captain Georgia 1862 Porter, John R. 1st Lt. Georgia 1862 Scott, John M. Sergeant Georgia 1862 Vance, . . . — Map (db m29178) HM
Ohio (Holmes County), Fort Fizzle — 3-38 — Holmes County Draft Riots
On French Ridge in Richland Township, on June 5, 1863, local citizens in defiance of conscription attacked Elias Robinson, an enrolling officer of the Union Army. When Captain James Drake, the provost marshal, imprisoned the ringleaders, armed . . . — Map (db m28525) HM
Ohio (Knox County), Gambier — Old Kenyon Cornerstone
. . . — Map (db m13870) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Outville — 15-45 — Outville
Arriving in 1853, the Central Ohio Railroad called this place “Kirkersville Station,” and it was later changed by stationmaster James Outcalt, who renamed the town Outville after himself. As rail traffic increased in Ohio, a successor . . . — Map (db m16712) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — Montgolfier Brothers — 1783 — (Inventing Flight: The Centennial Celebration Series #4)
The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Joseph and Etνenne de Montgolfier, brothers living . . . — Map (db m29512) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — 317th Veterans Group

Dedicated to the 317th Troop Carrier Group 317th Troop Carrier Wing 317th Tactical Airlift Wing

In honor of those who served 1942 – 1993

September 2003 — Map (db m82626) WM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — 4th Ferrying Group — Ferrying Division, Air Tansport Command — Nashville-Memphis, Tennessee, 1942 - 1945
Delivered all types of aircraft all over the world Dedicated May 17, 1991 — Map (db m51774) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — 68th Air Service Group — 14th Air Force
To the honor and memory of the men who served with the 68th Air Service Group with the Flying Tigers in China Dedicated Date 28 May 1993 — Map (db m51608) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — 90th Bomb Group (H) B-24 — (Jolly Rogers)
This plaque is dedicated as a tribute to those of our group who unselfishly gave their lives for their country. Base of Operation with 5th Air Force April 1942 - September 1945 Operated from Australia, New Guinea, Dutch East . . . — Map (db m32922) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — 98th Air Refueling Squadron — Lincoln Air Force Base Nebraska — 1954 - 1963

Flying KC-97G aircraft, this unit lived up to its motto "We Change The Range." The 98th flew 10,000 refueling missions and delivered over 325 million pounds of jet fuel in-flight. The squadron never lost a man or an accident, never recorded an . . . — Map (db m93054) HM WM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — Col Charles (Chuck) E. Minihan, Sr. — Forever Faithful

Army / Army Air Corps / Air Force Infantry / Combat Pilot / Master Missile Man WWII – Korea – Cold War Service: 1942 – 1969 — Map (db m82556) HM WM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — Crew E-180, 307th Air Refueling Squadron — Not To Be Forgotten
Capt Robert (Dusty) M. Llewellyn III Capt Kenneth A. Brackney Capt Joseph A. Nellis SSgt David A. Vickers Assigned to the 307th Air Refueling Squadron, K I Sawyer AFB MI. Crew E-180 lost their lives when their KC-135A crashed at Dyess . . . — Map (db m51155) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — Order of Daedalians

America's premier fraternal organization of military pilots

1903 • 2003 Honoring 100 Years of Powered Flight Map (db m84864) HM WM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — The Flying Tigers — 14th Air Force

The Flying Tigers blazed their way to glory over the skies of Burma and China in World War II. Retired Army Air Corps Captain and Air Advisor to China, Claire Lee Chennault, organized the American Volunteer Group (AVG) in early 1941 to . . . — Map (db m82539) HM WM

Ohio (Montgomery County), Wright-Patterson Air Force Base — United States Air Force Academy Graduates
To our graduates who are Gone But Not Forgotten — Map (db m26270) WM
Ohio (Muskingum County), Dresden — Father John D. Kempf Veterans Memorial
To all veterans in honor [of] Father John D. Kempf National Chaplain of the American Legion 1982 - 1983 — Map (db m14723) HM
Ohio (Muskingum County), Philo — 8-60 — The Muskingum River Flows North
Thirty-thousand years ago, the streams and rivers in this area flowed north. A ridge extended across what is today the Muskingum-Morgan County line about seven miles south of the Philo Lock. When the Wisconsin Glacier moved down from Canada 25,000 . . . — Map (db m13334) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Leistville — Camp Charlotte
Near this spot the famous treaty was made between Lord Dunmore, Governor of Virginia and Chief Cornstalk of the Shawnees and Allied Tribes in October 1774. This camp was named “Charlotte” after the Queen of England. — Map (db m13500) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Lockbourne — 30-25 — Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks / The Columbus Feeder Canal
Ohio-Erie Canal and Locks The Ohio-Erie Canal was built between 1825 and 1832 and extended 308 miles from Lake Erie at Cleveland to the Ohio River at Portsmouth. The greatest engineering achievement in Ohio up to that time, the canal gave the . . . — Map (db m12902) HM
Ohio (Pickaway County), Williamsport — P.F.C. Franklin E. Sollars
In memory of P.F.C. Franklin E. Sollars Co. B. 3rd Bn 12th Inf. 4th Inf. Div. Born July 9, 1946 in Chillicothe, Ohio Killed in action in Vietnam, Jan. 19, 1968 — Map (db m21990) HM
Ohio (Pike County), Waverly — 5-66 — German Evangelical Church / Pike Heritage Foundation Museum
Side A: German Evangelical Church Construction of Waverly's third church, built with locally produced brick, began in 1859 and was completed in 1860. The original deed, recorded on October 31, 1859, listed the value of the lot as $180. With . . . — Map (db m25334) HM
Ohio (Preble County), Camden — Camden War Memorial
This plaque has been placed here in grateful memory of our community's servicemen who have died to maintain the freedoms which we enjoy. Civil War VeteransFrank Hale - Frank Barnet - John L.D. Jones Jack Clarke - Ursah Bell - Allen B. Lowe Benjamen . . . — Map (db m17548) WM
Ohio (Richland County), Mansfield — Allen J. (A. J.) Vandayburg
. . . — Map (db m20871) WM
Ohio (Richland County), Mansfield — Richland County Korean War Memorial — Freedom Is Not Free
The Veterans of the Korean War “They went, not for conquest, and not for gain, but only to protect the anguished and the innocent. They suffered greatly and by their heroism in a thousand battles, they added a luster to . . . — Map (db m20754) WM
Ohio (Richland County), Mansfield — Sultana Tragedy
On April 27, 1865 the Sultana, a 260 foot, wooden-hulled, steamboat exploded, burned, and sank on the Mississippi River near Memphis, Tennessee. Approximately 2400 people were on board, six times the ship's legal limit. More than 1700 lives were . . . — Map (db m20888) HM
Ohio (Ross County), Chilllicothe — Ross County Civil War Memorial
In honor of the Patriotic Men of Ross County who gave their lives in the war for the preservation of the Union their grateful fellow citizens have erected this monument May 30th, 1875 — Map (db m14653) HM
Ohio (Scioto County), Portsmouth — Scioto County, Experience Our Heritage
Twilight This mural shows a modern-day twilight scene of downtown Portsmouth as seen from Kentucky, featuring the U.S. Grant Bridge connecting with Chillicothe Street. The muses, embracing both ends of the Twilight mural, represent the art . . . — Map (db m63587) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 1-77 — Portage Path
You are standing on the famous portage, carrying-place between the Cuyahoga and Tuscarawas rivers. The two streams and the portage across the watershed formed an early route between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. First the Indians, then French and . . . — Map (db m43550) HM
Ohio (Union County), Marysville — American Legion Memorial Park
Park dedicated as a memorial to Union County veterans of all wars Dedicated Aug. 24, 1927 This building dedicated in memory of all war veterans of Union County — Map (db m22877) HM
Ohio (Washington County), Marietta — Northwest Ordinance Sesquicentennial Columns
Here the new United States of America found, through Northwest territory, the first and common offspring of thirteen discordant and disputatious states, her formula to eminence among all the governments of mankind. To those unfamed citizens who . . . — Map (db m20654) HM
Oklahoma (Kay County), Newkirk — Kay County Abstract Building
Dick Sherbon of Ponca City received the bid to erect this building for the Kay County Abstract Company in 1926. The bids for the building ranged from $4,400 to $5,700. This red brick structure was limited to one story because of the . . . — Map (db m60479) HM
Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Luther — 56 — Run of '89 East Boundary — -----000-----

At the opening of "Old Oklahoma" April 22, 1889, this was the East Line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, west, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang . . . — Map (db m83092) HM

Oklahoma (Osage County), Pawhuska — Oil in the Osage Indian Nation and the "Million Dollar Elm"

Symbolic of the impact oil had on the people of the Osage Indian Nation is the so-called "Million Dollar Elm." It was given this name because in its shade millions of dollars worth of Osage oil leases were auctioned. It was planted at this site . . . — Map (db m83107) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Afton — Eagle (D-X) Service Station — Route 66 Roadside Attraction

Opened in the 1930's, the Eagle Service Station served Route 66 travelers for nearly 60 years. — Map (db m81122) HM

Oklahoma (Ottawa County), Miami — Hadley Building

This building, commonly known as the Hadley Building, was constructed in 1904 within Indian Territory, the same year that the Wright Brothers successfully flew an airplane at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina and three years prior to Oklahoma's . . . — Map (db m81103) HM

Oklahoma (Wagoner County), Wagoner — Old City Hall & Fire Station
In 1906 the City leased the lots & built this brick structure for $1,011.68 to house the Fire Department, City Offices, & City Council Room — Map (db m68084) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Gettysburg — Grand Army of the Republic Hall
This structure, built in 1822, served as the Methodist Church for nearly 50 years and still retains a portion of the original burial ground at the rear. After the battle, wounded were cared for here by the Catholic Sisters of Charity from nearby . . . — Map (db m17461) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Reading — Duryea Drive
Named in honor of Charles E. Duryea, inventor and builder of first successful hill-climbing gasoline automobile in U.S. Duryea Drive, extending from City Park to the Pagoda, is the course used by Duryea for testing his cars, 1900-1907. — Map (db m25168) HM
Pennsylvania (Berks County), Reading — Ringgold Light Artillery — First Defenders
To commemorate the patriotism and promptitude of the Ringgold Light Artillery of Reading, Pennsylvania, which reported for duty at Harrisburg, April 16, 1861, arriving there first of the Pennsylvania Companies; and with the . . . — Map (db m25234) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County Korean War Memorial — June 25 1950 - July 27, 1953
To Honor Those We Left Behind Freedom Is Not Free [Honor Roll of Names] — Map (db m23479) WM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Bucks County World War II Memorial
To the honor and the everlasting glory of the citizens of Bucks County, Pennsylvania who served in our armed forces during 1941 - World War II - 1945 Dedicated May 30, 1998 — Map (db m23464) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Doylestown — Doylestown Fire Company No. 1 World War II Memorial
In honor of the men of Doylestown Fire Co. No. 1 who have served their country in World War II In memory of John E. Miller Killed in action, 1945 Monroe R. Bethman • Alexander Price • Robert M. Miller • Horace L. Funk • . . . — Map (db m23496) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Newtown — Justices House
This colonial inn, built 1768 by Anthony Siddons, became headquarters of the American General William Alexander, "Lord Stirling," after the battle of Trenton December 26, 1776 — Map (db m32386) HM
Pennsylvania (Cambria County), Johnstown — Flood Prevention
To commemorate Flood Prevention from these rivers Dedicated to the Flood Correspondents Association of the Flood of 1889 on the fifty-first anniversary May 31, 1940 — Map (db m52761) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Carlisle — 1753 Carlisle Indian Conference — Walking Tour Stop 3
The Native American tribes of Pennsylvania and Ohio, who had long traded with the English, asked for Pennsylvania's help to prevent French incursions and trade abuses in the Ohio territory. The Pennsylvania Assembly voted to give aid to the tribes . . . — Map (db m15793) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), Marcus Hook — The Soldier and Sailor Walk Memorial

Dedicated to the men buried at Saint Martin's Church Cemetery (1699) who bravely served their country in the following wars:

Revolutionary War 1775-1783 War of 1812 1812-1815 Mexican War 1846-1848 Civil War 1861-1865 . . . — Map (db m102614) WM

Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Reamstown — Pioneer Settler / Founder of Reamstown
Pioneer Settler Johann Eberhard Ream, born in Leimen, Germany on October 6, 1687 came to America with his family in 1717. They were the first white people in this area, having arrived here in 1723 or 4. He received two grants of land, 389 . . . — Map (db m39274) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Waterworks — 1762
“They have a Sett of Pumps which go by Water, which force the water up through leaden Pipes, from the River to the Top of the Hill, near an hundred feet.” John Adams to Abigail Adams 1777 A bountiful spring supplied . . . — Map (db m27191) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Windber — Alan Freed — (1921-1965)
Disc jockey who coined the term “Rock & Roll” in the early 1950s. Freed used the term to describe up-tempo black rhythm and blues records he played as DJ “Moondog” on his radio show. Freed further popularized this music . . . — Map (db m21575) HM
Texas (Bexar County), Randolph Air Force Base — Post Chapel
Site of US Army Air Corps Primary Flying School Post Chapel Construction completed 19 Jul 1934 Dedicated on 30 Sep 1993 ——————— Chapel One 50 years dedicated service to the . . . — Map (db m31786) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Main Plaza Fortifications
During the Main Plaza renovation in 2007, archaeologists discovered remnants of a military fortification underneath this street. This entrenchment would have been part of San Antonio's defense against attacks during the turbulent revolutionary . . . — Map (db m30214) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — 3804 — Old San Antonio National Bank Building
This structure was built to house the San Antonio National Bank, organized by George W. Brackenridge and others in 1866 as the first federally chartered banking institution in the city. Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz, a New York architect, designed the . . . — Map (db m30346) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — San Antonio Missions / Las misiones de San Antonio
The missions of San Antonio were far more than just churches, they were communities. Each was a fortified village, with its own church, farm, and ranch. Here, Franciscan friars gathered native peoples, converted them to Catholicism, taught them to . . . — Map (db m33990) HM
Utah (Washington County), Zion National Park — Cables from the Rim
Barely visible on the canyon rim are the ruins of a cableworks from the early 1900s. Mormon pioneers in the Zion area needed lumber for construction, but the good timber - ponderosa pine - was out of reach on the mesa above. Settlers had to haul . . . — Map (db m40444) HM
Virginia (Arlington County), Fort Myer — John C. McKinney Memorial Stables
Named in honor of CW4 John C. McKinney Caisson Platoon Leader 3d U.S. Infantry (The Old Guard) June 1959 to May 1974 — Map (db m12247) HM
West Virginia (Brooke County), Wellsburg — Wellsburg's Giant Sycamore
This giant Sycamore tree stands at the top of the Wellsburg Wharf it was planted in the early years of the 19th century by Dr. Albert Wheeler who practiced medicine in Wellsburg until his death in 1864. It was under this tree that militiamen . . . — Map (db m21641) HM
West Virginia (Ohio County), Wheeling — Site of Wheeling High School — 1909 - 1976 — "The Old Gold and Blue"

On this site stood Wheeling High School. The bricks and the mortar are gone, but the memory of her will linger on in the hearts of those who loved her. — Map (db m83126) HM

Wisconsin (Door County), Sturgeon Bay — Karl Overland — April 24, 1912 - March 6, 1997 — To the Memory of

Caring - Compassionate - Loving Co-Founder of Overland Bolling Company Committed and devoted to his Customers and Employees Remembered for his warm friendly smile Lived his life by these simple words You Reap What You Sow" "Be The . . . — Map (db m89827) HM

Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — I.O.O.F. Block — International Order of Odd Fellows
I.O.O.F. Block International Order of Odd Fellows 927 South Eighth Street c. 1890 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, . . . — Map (db m57524) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — S.S. Kresge Co.
. . . — Map (db m57522) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Valentin Blatz Brewing Company Office Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38621) HM

8977 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 8777
Paid Advertisement