Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

2709 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2509
 
View of marker looking south on Warrenton Road. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 17, 2015
View of marker looking south on Warrenton Road.
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Autauga Creek
Side 1 Water has always played a significant role in the history of Prattville. Daniel Pratt chose the location for his new town because of the proximity to Autauga Creek and the Alabama River. This area was referred to as an . . . — Map (db m70815) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — Sidney Lanier/Prattville Male and Female Academy Site
Side 1 Sidney Lanier 1842-1881 The poet and musician, born in Macon, Georgia, was Academy principal in 1867-68. He married Mary H. Day of Macon in December 1867. In Prattville, they lived at the Mims Hotel and later in Dr. S.P. . . . — Map (db m70802) HM
Alabama (Autauga County), Prattville — The Prattville Dragoons
This boulder erected by The Merrill E. Pratt Chapter U.D.C. April 26, 1916, marks the spot where The Prattville Dragoons assembled in April, 1861, on the eve of their departure to the war, and is commemorative of their . . . — Map (db m70819) HM WM
Alabama (Barbour County), Eufaula — World War I Doughboy
To Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice 1917 — World War — 1918 John Asbury Boswell Robert W. Brannon-Hinton W. Holleman Porter R. Doughtie-Daniel T. Tully Lest We Forget. — Map (db m101350) WM
Alabama (Chambers County), Valley — West Point Manufacturing Company
Cornerstones of Chattahoochee Mfg. Co., Langdale, Ala., and Alabama & Georgia Mfg. Co., River View, Ala., were laid on August 1, 1866. Mills used Chattahoochee River water power for operation of spindles and looms. Planters and businessmen of . . . — Map (db m71637) HM
Alabama (Clarke County), Gainestown — The Canoe Fight
Side 1 On November 12, 1813, the Canoe Fight, one of the key assaults of the Creek War, took place nearby at the mouth of Randon’s Creek where it flows into the Alabama River. Following the Fort Mims Massacre in August, small bands of . . . — Map (db m101574) HM
Alabama (Crenshaw County), Glenwood — New Providence Primitive Baptist Church Site
Constituted in 1833 about 1 mile northwest of this location with 10 charter members. The Church was admitted to the Conecuh River Baptist Association in November 1833. In 1863, the Church moved to this location on land bought from Benjamin Dorman . . . — Map (db m72055) HM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — Cullman County WWII Memorial
Dedicated in memory of those from Cullman County who gave their lives in the service of their country World War IIMap (db m101163) WM
Alabama (Cullman County), Cullman — UDC Confederate Memorial
. . . — Map (db m101106) WM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Dallas County World Wars Memorial — Lest· We· Forget — World War I 1917-1918 — World War II 1941-1945
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. St. John, 15-13 Erected in grateful humility to the enduring memory of those of Dallas County whose names appear hereon who made the supreme . . . — Map (db m83522) WM
Alabama (Dallas County), Selma — Interior Redoubt No. III — Wilson's Cavalry Charge — Battle of Selma
By 6pm General James H. Wilson had moved the 4th U.S. Cavalry, down Summerfield Road through the outer works and had ordered Captain Robinson of the Chicago Board of Trade Battery to do the same. After the main assault most of the regiments of . . . — Map (db m81930) HM
Alabama (Elmore County), Tallassee — Tallassee Armory
Only Confederate armory not destroyed during the Civil War. Col. Gorgas, ordnance chief, had carbine shop moved here into Tallassee Mfg. Co. mill in spring, 1864 as war threatened Richmond, Va. armory. War ended before plant neared goal of . . . — Map (db m83722) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — "Irwin Empire"
Site of the 1831 Irwin homeplace where over 50,000 acres of land was owned by Major General William Irwin (1794-1850). He was an Indian fighter, farmer, politician, statesman and considered one of the nation’s richest and most influential men. A . . . — Map (db m71824) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Ashford — Ashford Depot
This depot, an example of late 19th century Victorian railroad architecture, was constructed by the Alabama Midland Railroad in March, 1888 as a way station on the Bainbridge-to-Montgomery route. The depot was the only building to survive a . . . — Map (db m73355) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Dothan — Cherry Street African Methodist Episcopal Church
On this site in 1877 Gaines Chapel Church was organized. A wooden structure was erected adjacent to an existing graveyard. In 1891 and 1901 additional land was purchased. In 1908 the present building was dedicated. This structure was of early . . . — Map (db m73362) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Kinsey — Mallalieu Seminary
Side 1 Organized in 1882 at nearby Rocky Creek Methodist Church for educational purposes. This school, which occupied approximately seven acres surrounding this marker, was supported by the Methodist Episcopal Church North. This school . . . — Map (db m73374) HM
Alabama (Houston County), Pansey — Liberty Baptist Church
The church was organized in 1867 under a brush arbor very near the present sanctuary. The brush arbor was replaced by a log building and services were conducted in the log building until approximately 1895. It was in 1895 that Liberty Baptist Church . . . — Map (db m83787) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Mountain Brook — America's First Office Park
In 1955, Ervin Jackson and Newman H. Waters developed the first office park in the United States. Since 1871 office buildings had been located in downtown Birmingham so the concept of thousands of workers coming to a suburban work-place was a . . . — Map (db m83252) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Auburn WWI Memorial
In memory of The Auburn Men who gave their lives in the World War — Map (db m106948) WM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — City Hall
Side 1 In 1846, Auburn's founder, Judge John J. Harper deeded the property on this corner to Simeon Perry, as town agent for two of the earliest public schools in Auburn. A member of the settlement party, Perry laid out the original . . . — Map (db m79948) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Auburn — Dillard-Lawson House
Built by Auburn merchant A.L. Dillard in 1894, the home was once part of the old Scott Plantation. It was one of the first homes in Auburn to have an indoor bath and electricity. An unusual feature of the house is the gray stone, for which Dillard . . . — Map (db m74445) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Organized in 1858, Trinity Mission was admitted to the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama on May 5, 1860. When the first church was consecrated on this site in 1862, it was renamed Emmanuel, meaning "God With Us." That building was destroyed by a tornado . . . — Map (db m75132) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Thompson Chapel — American Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
Organized c. 1872 by Rev. John Ford, Tom Isaiah, Julius Crockrum, Daniel Billingslea, Fannie Bryant, Charity Harris, Sarah Chambers and others, and named for presiding Bishop J. P. Thompson. This congregation first met in a house near the oil mill . . . — Map (db m75157) HM
Alabama (Lowndes County), Tyler — Talisi visited by De Soto — Sept. 18, 1540
. . . — Map (db m81920) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church - Church Privies
The Church Privies are located behind the church. There are mens and womens, each with three toilets. The toilets are original, and are made of solid metal, with attached closable lids. According to the wording on the lids, they were . . . — Map (db m95115) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Notasulga — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church "The Tree"
It was under this tree that participants in the U.S. Public Health Study of Untreated Syphilis in Negro Males in Macon County, Alabama, met to wait for Nurse Rivers, the Shiloh School nurse, to come and either administer treatment, update health . . . — Map (db m95113) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee — 119 Westside Street — Historic Tuskegee
This two-story brick structure, built in 1870, is an example of the Italianate Style. Many of these buildings no longer exist, being replaced by later growth in downtown districts. The Italianate Style is distinguished by the large upper story . . . — Map (db m100193) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site — Anticipation
During World War II a guard house stood just outside the brick entrance gates to Moton Field. The framed structure closest to you is a representation of the guard house. The historic entrance gates are just beyond. How excited the young cadets must . . . — Map (db m99927) HM
Alabama (Macon County), Tuskegee Institute — Booker T Washington — 1856   1915
[Center] He lifted the Veil of Ignorance from his people and pointed the way to progress through education and industry [Far left] We shall prosper in proportion as we learn to dignify and glorify labor . . . — Map (db m100163) HM
Alabama (Marion County), Guin — Historical Pikeville — County Seat of Marion County — 1820-1882
Side 1 Pikeville, designated as the first permanent county seat for Marion County, lies along General Andrew Jackson's Military Road. Earlier temporary county seats were mostly along the Tombigbee River in what was Mississippi when the . . . — Map (db m96485) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Creola — Site of Old Mobile
(English) Site of Old Mobile Fort Louis de la Louisiane Founded 1702 by Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville Under orders of Louis XIV First Capital of French Louisiana 1702-1711 (French) Site de Vieux Mobile Fort . . . — Map (db m70588) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Barton Academy
Built 1835-1836. First public school in Alabama. Named for Rep. Willoughby Barton, author of Bill creating public schools of Mobile some 28 yrs. before State system. It was used as a hospital for Union soldiers in 1864. — Map (db m86387) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Bettie Hunter House
Built in 1878 in the Italianate style. In 1852, Bettie Hunter was born a slave in Dallas County, Alabama and later moved to Mobile after the Civil War. She and her brother, Henry Hunter, had a profitable carriage business in downtown Mobile. She . . . — Map (db m86389) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Church Street Cemetery - 1819 — ←—«
Established 1819 by city of Mobile for yellow fever victims. Buried in raised tombs are Spanish and French citizens of early Mobile, and many pioneer Americans. — Map (db m86409) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church
The church was organized in 1853 by ten African-Americans who were former members of Stone Street Baptist Church. It is the second oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama. The first three pastors were Caucasian; however, following passage of the . . . — Map (db m86578) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — To Jean Baptiste LeMoyne — Sieur de Bienville
Native of Montreal, Canada, Naval Officer of France, Governor of Louisiana and Founder of the first Capital, Mobile, in 1711. Born 1680 — Died 1768 —— With the Genius to create an Empire and the Courage to maintain . . . — Map (db m86732) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Gunter Annex / Gunter Basic Flying Training School
(obverse) Gunter Annex On 27 Aug. 1940, the AAF leased the Montgomery Municipal Airport for use as a military airfield. During WW II, the field was the home of the AAF Basic Flying Training School and was named in honor of Mayor . . . — Map (db m68111) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base — Operation Noble Eagle
. . . — Map (db m95390) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama River: The Grand Avenue
Twelve miles above Montgomery the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers unite to form the Alabama which meanders over four hundred miles on its way to Mobile Bay. This river has played major role in region's history, being a thoroughfare for Native Americans, . . . — Map (db m26591) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lilly Baptist Church — "The Lilly" — 820 Hill Street
Lilly Baptist Church, established November, 1900 as a missionary church of Bethel Missionary Baptist. Originally located on St. Clair Street in a small frame building. Moved May 27, 1973, into new 1500-seat sanctuary at present location. Education . . . — Map (db m71088) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lucas Tavern / Lafayette
Lucas Tavern Stood four hundred yards north of this point Lafayette Spent the night here April 2, 1825 — Map (db m71358) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Major Lemuel Purnell Montgomery — 1786 - 1814
Brilliant lawyer, valiant soldier, in whose honor Montgomery County, Alabama was named — Map (db m94029) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Naval Heroes of the War of 1812 — Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
Side 1 The six streets which cross Dexter Avenue between Court Square and the State Capitol are named for Oliver Hazard Perry, James Lawrence, Thomas Macdonough, Issac Hull, Stephen Decatur and William Bainbridge, all naval officers of . . . — Map (db m99545) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rice-Semple-Haardt House
Built early 1850's by Samuel Farrow Rice, state legislator and Chief Justice, Alabama Supreme Court. Sold in late 1860's to attorney Henry Churchill Semple, whose family occupied home until 1954 when sold to John Haardt, a realtor. Sold to . . . — Map (db m74157) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise Parks — She sat down - So we can stand up — February 4, 1913 - October 24, 2005
Mother of the modern day civil rights movement — Map (db m91278) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Telegram Which Began War Between The States / Winter Building
(side 1) Telegram Which Began War Between The States Montgomery, April 11, 1861 General Beauregard, Charleston: Do not desire needlessly to bombard Fort Sumter. If Major Anderson will state the time at which, as . . . — Map (db m22524) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Domestic Slave Trade/Slave Transportation to Montgomery
Side 1 The Domestic Slave Trade Beginning in the seventeenth century, millions of African people were kidnapped, sold into slavery, and shipped to the Americas as part of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. In 1808, the United States . . . — Map (db m86427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Montgomery Slave Trade/Warehouses Used in the Slave Trade
Side 1 The Montgomery Slave Trade Montgomery had grown into one of the most prominent slave trading communities in Alabama by 1860. At the start of the Civil War, the city had a larger slave population than Mobile, New Orleans, or . . . — Map (db m70715) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Tribute to Montgomery's "Foot Soldiers"
The ten bronze roundels displayed on this wall are a tribute to the "foot soldiers" who toiled for 382 days during the Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1955 and 1956. The roundels depict individuals who were involved in, and events that occurred . . . — Map (db m91276) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 'Washington' Elm Tree
Washington took command of the American Army under grandparent of this elm Cambridge, Mass., July 3, 1775 ———— Raised and given by Maryland D.A.R. and Alice Paret Dorsey as part of 200th . . . — Map (db m94934) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Lucas Hill Cemetery — Circa 1816
The Founders of The Waters relocated and restored this historic cemetery in May 2005. The original cemetery site, located along the Old Federal Road beyond the boundary of the Creek Indian lands at Line Creek, had fallen into ruin due to years of . . . — Map (db m72015) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — 5 — Federal Road, 1805,
Federal Road, 1805, between Milledgeville, Ga. and St. Stephens, Ala. crossed here. Manac's Tavern was two miles west. — Map (db m39770) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Waugh — Lucas Tavern — Circa 1818
Stood 2800 feet north of this point, just west of Line Creek on the Federal Road. Moved to Montgomery in 1978 to serve as the Visitor and Information Center for the Old North Hull Historic District, it is the oldest remaining building in Montgomery . . . — Map (db m60906) HM
Alabama (Pickens County), Aliceville — Alabama, Tennessee & Northern Railroad Depot
The Carrollton Short Line Railroad, authorized by the legislature in 1897, connected the Mobile & Ohio Railroad at Reform with the Pickens County seat. John Taylor Cochrane of Tuscaloosa, working with Carrollton citizens, completed that line in . . . — Map (db m92644) HM
Alabama (Pike County), Goshen — Allred House & Cemetery
Side 1 A veteran of the War of 1812, Major William Burt Allred and his wife, Jane O. Park Allred, moved from Newton County, GA to Pike County, AL in 1839. Construction began on their new home in 1840 and was completed in 1843. The home is . . . — Map (db m72056) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Fort Mitchell — Fort Mitchell and Creek Removal — Creek Heritage Trail
Fort Mitcheli served as a primary point of concentration for creeks being sent westward to Indian Territory before, during, and after the Second Creek War (1836-1837). By the terms of the 1832 Treaty of Washington, Creek heads of household and . . . — Map (db m101840) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Hurtsboro — Joel Hurt House
(obverse) The home was built in 1857 by the founder of Hurtsboro, Joel Hurt, Sr. (1813-1861) and his wife, Lucy Long Hurt (1822-1915). Their saw mill, constructed near Hurtsboro Creek, provided lumber for the home and surrounding . . . — Map (db m69415) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Phenix City — Allen Temple A.M.E. Church / Grant Chapel A.M.E. Church
(obverse) Allen Temple A.M.E. Church In 1879, under the pastorate of Reverend George Wesley Allen, the Allen Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church had its humble beginning in Phenix City, Alabama as Grant Mission. The Russell . . . — Map (db m69082) HM
Alabama (Russell County), Seale — Mitchell-Ferrell-Powell House
Built in Glennville, Alabama by slave artisans in the early 1840's for James Billingslea and Rebecca Stone Mitchell. Moved by ox-cart and reassembled by free citizens at the present site in 1867 or 1869. Purchased in 1895 by Hugh Bennett and Jessie . . . — Map (db m69409) HM
Alabama (Sumter County), Livingston — Sumter County's Covered Bridge
1860 Captain W. A. C. Jones of Livingston designed and built the bridge of hand-hewn yellow pine put together with large pegs, clear span 88 feet, overhead clearance 14 feet, and inside width 17 feet, across the Sucarnoochee River on old State . . . — Map (db m92661) HM
Alabama (Wilcox County), Camden — Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church
This building was constructed c. 1849 as a Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The Camden Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation was organized in September 1890 in the parlor of the William Joel Bonner home. There were twelve charter . . . — Map (db m68161) HM
Arkansas (Arkansas County), Arkansas Post National Memorial — 38,000 Reasons to Fight
Half the Yankees in the West [were coming]. Confederate scout I expected Mary would be a widow before I got 10 rods [55 yards]. . . . — Map (db m107858) HM
Arkansas (Conway County), Plummerville — 100 — Conway County in the Civil War / Murder of John Clayton
Side 1 Conway County in the Civil War Conway County men served in both the Union and Confederate armies in the Civil War. Co. I, 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, Co. B, Carroll’s Cavalry, Co. I, 36th Arkansas Infantry, . . . — Map (db m96451) HM
Arkansas (Miller County), Rondo — 7 — Confederate Records Stored at Rondo
When Gen. Frederick Steele's Union army invaded southwest Arkansas in April 1864, threatening the Confederate state capital at Washington, Gov. Harris Flanagin moved the state archives to Rondo, where they were deposited in James Abraham's store. . . . — Map (db m96022) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — A Short Lived Confederate Victory
The Confederates Take Battery C "Both brigades moved forward on the instant, rapidly, steadily unflinchingly, and in perfect order under a storm of Minie balls, grape, and canister, which poured upon them not only . . . — Map (db m107958) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Battery A
Union forces entrenched on this hill held off repeated assaults by Confederate troops under CSA General Marmaduke on the morning of July 4, 1863, in their attack on Helena. CSA General Marsh Walker's Cavalry Brigade, consisting of the 5th Arkansas . . . — Map (db m107784) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Becoming Soldiers
As soon as the Civil War began, black men volunteered to serve in the United States Army. They were denied. In the spring of 1863, the Federal government finally began enlisting Freedmen. Within months, thousands in Helena had . . . — Map (db m107884) HM
Arkansas (Phillips County), Helena — Judge Jacob Trieber — 1853-1927
Jacob Trieber served as United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Arkansas from 1901 to 1927. He was the first Jewish judge ever to serve on the federal bench. Trieber was born in Prussia in 1853, immigrated with his parents to St. . . . — Map (db m107824) HM
Colorado (Adams County), Aurora — Sharon A. Lane Drive
In honor of 1Lt Sharon A. Lane, ANC, U.S. Army 1943 - 1969 FAMC Staff Nurse, 1968 - 1969 Killed by enemy mortar round while serving with honor 312th Evac Hospital, Chu Lai, Viet Nam Only ANC Officer to die as a result . . . — Map (db m96560) WM
Colorado (Arapahoe County), Bennett — 218 — High-Five Plains Towns / Ten Miles a Day
High-Five Plains Towns Watkins, Bennett, Strasburg, Byers, Peoria, Deer Trail, Agate, Godfrey, Cedar Point, Riverbend—most of these Colorado high plains towns were founded around the time when the Kansas Pacific Railroad arrived in . . . — Map (db m70522) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Denver City Railway Building — 1883 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
Originally built as the stables for the Denver City Railway Company in 1883, this building was the birthplace of Denver's Public Transportation system. Horse drawn trolleys, soon replaced by one of America's most extensive cable car networks, . . . — Map (db m97394) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Edward W. Wynkoop
This building is named for Edward W. Wynkoop (1836-1891) to honor his peacemaking efforts, though unsuccessful, to resolve the Indian-white conflict which resulted tragically in the Sand Creek Massacre in 1864. Exaggerated reports of . . . — Map (db m97294) HM
Colorado (Denver County), Denver — Wynkoop Street RR Bridge — 1908 — Lower Downtown Walking Tour
Denver's first settlement was along the confluence of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek. Arapahoe Indians named Cherry Creek for the wild chokecherries they harvested here in the fall. They respected the stream's power and warned the first . . . — Map (db m96283) HM
Colorado (Grand County), Rocky Mountain National Park — People of Kawuneeche Valley
This miner's cabin is one of the oldest buildings left standing in the Kawuneeche Valley. In 1902, Joseph Fleshuts homesteaded 160 acres here with the intent to live on the land for at least five years. Life must have been hard. In 1911 he abruptly . . . — Map (db m89117) HM
Colorado (Las Animas County), Ludlow — Celebration & Sorrow
A day of festivity was followed by one of the darkest in American Labor history. The state militia was on guard Because tensions between the strikers and the company had been steadily escalating, the state militia was stationed on . . . — Map (db m100513) HM
Colorado (Las Animas County), Trinidad — The Santa Fe Trail
This memorial is the Property of the State of Colorado The Santa Fe Trail 1840 - 1878 Two roads or forks of the Mountain Branch of the Santa Fe Trail-Bent's Old Fort to Taos and Santa Fe-joined . . . — Map (db m104912) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Original Site of First Baptist Church — Pensacola, Florida
Organized May 2, 1847 First Building erected on this site 1852 Relocated at current site, 500 N. Palafox Street, 1894. — Map (db m72251) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Our Confederate Dead
South Facing Side (Main Side) A.D.1861. - A.D.1865. The Uncrowned Heroes of the Southern Confederacy. Whose joy was to suffer and die for a cause they believed to be just. Their unchallenged devo- tion and matchless . . . — Map (db m72273) WM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Rough Riders
June 1, 1898, Col. Theodore Roosevelt and 170 of his Rough Riders (Indian, cowboys, policemen, clubmen, millionaires, etc.) welcomed here en route to Spanish-American War. There were 6 trains with men, horses and equipment of 1st U.S. Volunteer . . . — Map (db m72270) HM
Florida (Escambia County), Pensacola — Salvador T. Pons
Salvador Pons was the second son of John Pons, a seaman from Maryland, and Maria Rosario, a free woman of color. As a property owner who could read and write, Salvador was able to serve the Pensacola community as City Alderman beginning in 1869 and . . . — Map (db m80048) HM
Florida (Gadsden County), Chattahoochee — F-241 — Site of Ellicott's Observatory
At the end of the American Revolutionary War in 1783, Florida was returned to Spain after twenty years of British control. Controversy soon arose over the exact location of the boundary between Spanish Florida and the state of Georgia. In 1795, . . . — Map (db m79444) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Graceville — F-484 — When The Lights Came On
This structure is a symbol of progress and a testament to those determined rural residents who, through electricity, helped bring this area into the 20th century. On May 30, 1936 President Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882-1945) signed into law the Rural . . . — Map (db m74210) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-506 — Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School — 1922-1970
In 1922, Robert T. Gilmore (1879-1948), born in Monticello, founded Gilmore Academy, one of Jackson County's first African-American high schools. Trustees of Marianna's African-American community purchased this three-acre site in 1907 and raised . . . — Map (db m74191) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Holden House
John de Roulhac and his wife, Martha Rasco, arrived in Jackson County in 1846. This house was built about that time. Their daughter, Clara, married Dr. Julius Holden here Sept. 22, 1859. Dr. Holden served in the Confederate Army. Legend says the . . . — Map (db m74189) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-397 — Florida A&M University
Founded in 1887 as the State Normal College for Colored Students, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) is the only historically state supported educational facility for African Americans in Florida. It has always been . . . — Map (db m79571) HM
Florida (Leon County), Tallahassee — F-88 — Lewis Bank
Founded in 1856 by B.C. Lewis as a private banking business, the oldest bank in Florida has grown with the city and section, in size and services rendered. Since its founding, sons have followed fathers in the profession. — Map (db m79525) HM
Florida (Liberty County), Bristol — F-46 — Torreya Tree
In this vicinity on the Apalachicola River, Hardy Bryan Croom, pioneer Florida planter and botanist, discovered one of the rarest of coniferous trees, Torreya taxifolia circa 1835, and named it for Dr. John Torrey, prominent American botanist. Only . . . — Map (db m17753) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Auburn — Confederate Park — Uncle Bill Lundy
Dedicated to Uncle Bill Lundy Florida's Last Confederate Veteran 1848 — 1957 And All Confederate Veterans of Florida — Map (db m86845) WM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Crestview — F-233 — Okaloosa County
Okaloosa County, created by the Florida State Legislature in 1915, was formed from parts of Santa Rosa and Walton Counties. The influence of W.H. Mapoles, Sr., then a legislative representative from Walton County, was an important factor in the . . . — Map (db m72555) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Eglin AFB — F-204 — Eglin Air Force Base
Originally established on June 14, 1935, as Valparaiso Bombing and Gunnery Range with 1460 acres of land donated by James E. Plew, this site was renamed on August 4, 1937, for Lieutenant Colonel Frederick I. Eglin, killed in an airplane crash. Eglin . . . — Map (db m99234) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Fort Walton Beach — F-569 — Indianola Inn, An Indian Midden Mound, and Civil War Cannons
Side 1 The Indianola Inn, the second hotel in this area, was built on this midden mound in 1912 – the only structure ever permitted to do so. The inn burned in 1962, but the steps, foundation parts, and well head have been . . . — Map (db m99232) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Hurlburt Field — AC-130 Spectre — "The Ultimate End"
The AC-130 Spectre gunship evolved into the most heavily armed aircraft in history. It has a distinguished history and was used extensively in a multitude of roles during the Vietnam conflict. The AC-130 also flew combat during the USS . . . — Map (db m99831) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Hurlburt Field — Air America Memorial
  Air America's origin dates back to the secret CIA purchase of Civil Air Transport (CAT) assets in August 1950. Air America/CAT operations were initiated in response to covert transportation requirements during the Chinese Civil War and Korean . . . — Map (db m99746) HM WM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Hurlburt Field — Lieutenant Colonel William Atkinson Jones, III — 602nd Special Operations Squadron
Lieutenant Colonel Jones flew an A-1H Skyraider on a rescue mission on 1 September 1968 in search of a downed U.S. pilot near Dong Hoi, North Vietnam. Although his aircraft was hit repeatedly by enemy fire, he continued his search until he sighted . . . — Map (db m99802) HM
Florida (Okaloosa County), Hurlburt Field — Operation Uphold Democracy
  Operation Uphold Democracy was the name given to the restoration of the democracy in Haiti. The US, expecting civil unrest and military opposition, deployed a large force to the area, which could overcome any opposition and restore order to . . . — Map (db m99778) HM
Florida (Santa Rosa County), Bagdad — Submerged Aquatic Vegetation
Submerged aquatic vegetation is an important part of the Northwest Florida ecosystem. It is defined as any combination of seagrasses and algae that covers 10 to 100 percent of the riverbottom. Many of these plant species grow in underwater . . . — Map (db m100329) HM
Florida (Santa Rosa County), Bagdad — The Longleaf Pine
Longleaf or yellow pine forests once dominated the South and spread 90 million acres from the Atlantic Coastal Plain of southeastern Virginia to the West Gulf Coastal Plain of Texas. Longleaf pine developed in close association with periodic . . . — Map (db m100332) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — Ivanhoe Plantation — 1765
Ivanhoe Plantation was established in 1765 by a Crown Grant to Thomas Whitehead from King George III of England. The plantation is located 3 or 4 miles east of Waynesboro, Georgia and 15 miles along Brier Creek going down stream. The grant . . . — Map (db m103303) HM
Georgia (Coweta County), Newnan — Col. Joe M. Jackson
. . . — Map (db m94645) HM WM
Georgia (Jefferson County), Louisville — 081-1 — Market House
This Market House was built between 1795-1798 as a publicly owned multi-purpose trading house. Louisville newspapers record sales of large tracts, household hoods, town lots and slaves by sheriffs, tax collectors, marshals and people of the . . . — Map (db m15900) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Early Industrial Center
The tremendous energy of the Chattahoochee made Columbus an important manufacturing center. Falling water powered textile, grist, saw, and paper mills. By 1860, the city's production of cotton and woolen goods ranked second within . . . — Map (db m101495) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Gertrude "Ma" Rainey — 1886 – 1939 — "Empress of the Blues"
. . . — Map (db m101400) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Nehi and Royal Crown Cola
Side 1 In 1905, a new cola drink was originated in the basement of the wholesale grocery business at this location, where Claud A. Hatcher, a pharmacist, began formulating beverages. His concoctions included Royal Crown Ginger Ale, Cream . . . — Map (db m101263) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — L4 — Covington Square — Sherman Strikes Three Times — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
On Friday, July 22, 1864, while the Battle of Atlanta raged about 25 miles to the west, Union Brigadier General Kenner Garrard and about 3,500 cavalrymen were in Covington. They had been ordered by Major General William T. Sherman to disrupt the . . . — Map (db m103344) HM
Georgia (Washington County), Sandersville — L17 — Washington County Courthouse — "We had fought for the town and it was our plunder." — Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails
On Thursday, November 24, 1864, the 14th and 20th Corps of Union Major General William T. Sherman's army began entering Washington County. By November 26th the 28,000 soldiers of the two corps arrived in Sandersville, marching on separate roads . . . — Map (db m103235) HM
Kansas (Sumner County), Caldwell — Henry Newton Brown
Hired as assistant marshal in 1882 and later promoted to marshal. Henry Brown had failed to tell the city council about his interesting past which included cattle rustling, riding with Billy the Kid, and a trivial murder charge during the Lincoln . . . — Map (db m96524) HM
Kansas (Sumner County), Caldwell — Shooting Up Main Street
On July 7, 1879, in the Moreland Saloon, Deputy Constable John Wilson and a citizen, George Flatt, cornered two cowboys named Woods and Adams. They had been firing their guns outside in celebration of being paid for a Texas cattle drive earlier in . . . — Map (db m96538) HM
Kentucky (Adair County), Columbia — 1599 — Adair County Courthouse
On June 28, 1802, court ordered permanent seat of justice on the public square. First courthouse built in 1806. Present structure was designed by McDonald Bros., Louisville, and built by Wm. H. Hudson and Columbus Stone in 1887. A unique . . . — Map (db m83384) HM
Kentucky (Hopkins County), Madisonville — 1425 — The Hockersmith House
The home of L. D. Hockersmith, Capt., 10th Ky., Gen. John Hunt Morgan's Cavalry, CSA. Hockersmith captured by Federal troops during Morgan's Ohio raid, July 20, 1863. Held with Morgan in Ohio State Prison at Columbus. Helped dig tunnel by which he . . . — Map (db m88931) HM
Kentucky (Metcalfe County), Edmonton — 1257 — William Henry Newman
"One of the foremost railroad managers in the country." He was an associate of the great railroad builders. President of New York Central R.R., 1901-09, successor to Cornelius Vanderbilt. He merged 14 lines into New York Central System; planned . . . — Map (db m83381) HM
Kentucky (Pulaski County), Nancy — Gen'l Felix K. Zollicoffer
On this spot fell Gen'l Felix K. Zollicoffer of Tennessee, Jan. 19, 1862. Lieuts. Bailie Peyton Jr., H.M.R. Fogs and more than 150 of their Confederate associates in the Battle of Fishing Creek, here died with Gen'l Zollicoffer for right as they saw . . . — Map (db m43876) HM
Kentucky (Simpson County), Franklin — 1369 — Goodnight Memorial Library / Isaac Hershel Goodnight
Goodnight Memorial Library Mrs. Goodnight (1858-1935), wife of I.H. Goodnight, in her will made possible the erection of this municipal building containing library, auditorium, assembly room, museum, kitchen. With aid of federal funds, . . . — Map (db m83301) HM
Kentucky (Simpson County), Franklin — Replica of Stone #38
Replica of Stone #38 set nearly 30 miles east of here during the 1859 Cox/Peoples survey of the KY/TN line. This survey resulted in markers set at 5-mile intervals along the line originally determined by Walker and Smith in 1780. Surveyors from both . . . — Map (db m83290) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — 1191 — Pioneer Surveyor
General Elijah M. Covington of the Kentucky Militia came here from North Carolina in 1795 to farm and survey. Acquired 23,000 acres in Warren, Logan, Edmonson counties. He became Warren County's first sheriff and surveyor. Helped to select the early . . . — Map (db m83352) HM
Kentucky (Warren County), Bowling Green — 1201 — Warren County's Chief USA Civil War Officers / Warren County Awards
Warren County's Chief USA Civil War Officers Brig. Gen. William E. Hobson,   1st Brig., 2nd Div., 23rd Corps Col. Benj. C. Grider, 9th Ky. Inf. Col. J. H. Grider, 52nd Ky. Inf. Col. P. B. Hawkins, 11th Ky. Inf. Col. Atwood G. . . . — Map (db m83349) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Battle of Pleasant Hill Memorial
In Memory of the Confederates killed in the Battle of Pleasant Hill April 9, 1864 — Map (db m105407) WM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Stage Coach Station
The Stage Coach station was at this point, near the center of the Village of Pleasant Hill. — Map (db m105393) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — The Village of Pleasant Hill
Front The Village of Pleasant Hill was founded at this location just inside the DeSoto Parish in 1846. Pleasant Hill was a major road intersection with roads radiating to Mansfield, Natchitoches, Grand Ecore, Ft. Jessup, Many, Red River . . . — Map (db m105673) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Pelican — Federal Advance — April 7, 1864 — Temporary Federal Hospital
A short distance west of here facing the road, the home of William Robertson was used for the care of Federal Soldiers wounded in a skirmish near by. A mill behind the residence was used to grind grain for soldiers of both armies. — Map (db m105348) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Avondale — Avondale~Waggaman
Named for George Augustus Waggaman, prominent politician, planter and War of 1812 veteran. His plantation, Avondale, was built north of here in 1839. Home consumed by Miss. River in early 1900s. — Map (db m81061) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Gretna — Derbigny Plantation
Home of Pierre A.C.B. Derbigny, 6th Governor of La., 1828~1829, member 1st La. Legislature, La. Secretary of State, La. Supreme Court Judge, Battle of N.O. veteran. 1820 operated 1st steam ferry on Miss. River at N.O. Died 1829 from a carriage . . . — Map (db m80975) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), Gramercy — Colonial Sugars Refinery
Founded in 1895 by group of financiers from Gramercy Park, New York on a site called "Faubourg Lapin". First operated as a sugar mill to process sugar cane from Golden Grove Plantation. A refinery was built in 1902 to supply granulated sugar to the . . . — Map (db m81084) HM
Louisiana (Saint James Parish), South Vacherie — Notre Dame de la Paix
Mission chapel and cemetery served by St. James Catholic Church from 1854. Became separate parish in 1864. Our Lady of Peace parish church completed 1900 and consecrated May 12, 1902. — Map (db m81080) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Amzie Moore Home
Amzie Moore (1911-1982), a local Civil Rights leader, built this house in 1941. An army veteran, Moore also worked for the U.S. Postal Service. After returning from WWII, Moore dedicated himself to the civil rights movement, co-founding the . . . — Map (db m90074) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — Bolivar County Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those veterans who made the supreme sacrifice in the World Wars. — Map (db m90465) WM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Cleveland — 173 — The Enlightenment of W. C. Handy
Front In W.C. Handy's famous account of his "enlightenment" in Cleveland, a ragged local trio was showered with coins after Handy's orchestra of trained musicians had been unable to similarly excite the crowd. In early manuscripts of . . . — Map (db m90071) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Friendship Clinic — 1948
United Order of Friendship of America opened Friendship Clinic under the leadership of Dr. T. R. M. Howard Second medical facility in Mound Bayou Renamed Sarah Brown Hospital Renamed Mound Bayou Community Hospital . . . — Map (db m90501) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — 161 — Mound Bayou Blues
Front Music has been one of the many facets of African American culture proudly nurtured by the community of Mound Bayou, ranging from blues and R&B in cafes, lounges, and juke joints to musical programs in schools, studios, and . . . — Map (db m90065) HM
Mississippi (Bolivar County), Mound Bayou — Taborian Hospital — 1942
International Order of Twelve Knights and Daughters of Tabor, Inc. opened Taborian Hospital under the leadership of P. M. Smith Second oldest hospital for Blacks in Mississippi First hospital in Mound Bayou Placed on the . . . — Map (db m90467) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — Rodney Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church — 1868 - 1870 — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Listed in National Register of Historic Places, the church building was constructed in 1868, as the once flourishing river town was declining. Church completion was in the year preceding the disastrous 1869 fire. Although there is no recorded . . . — Map (db m104103) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — The Spanish House — Port Gibson Historic Tour
This house was built in the late 1790's of cypress, poplar and heart pine and put together with wooden pegs instead of nails. The Spanish built structure represents one of several homesteads erected by five different groups of "Conquerors" who . . . — Map (db m103935) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Grand Gulf — This XIII-inch Mortar — Grand Gulf Historic Tour
This XIII-inch Mortar was probably used by the Union in the fight for Vicksburg. In the early 1900's it was seen partially buried in the levee on Davis Island. These mortars were mounted on schooners or box-like boats. . . . — Map (db m104294) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Claiborne County Courthouse — Port Gibson Historic Tour
. . . — Map (db m104339) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Port Gibson
Incorporated in 1811, Port Gibson was first settled by Samuel Gibson, who acquired property along Bayou Pierre from the Spanish in 1788. First known as Gibson's Landing. Port Gibson, selected as the Claiborne County seat in 1803, had the state's . . . — Map (db m103803) HM
Mississippi (Claiborne County), Port Gibson — Temple Gemiluth Chassed — Port Gibson Historic Tour
706 Church. 1891-92 Victorian Moro-Byzantine Revival. The architects of Temple Gemiluth Chassed, which means gift of the righteous, combined Moorish, Byzantine and Romanesque styles to produce a building unique in Mississippi. — Map (db m104343) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — Chickasaw Burial Ground
Excavated June 1934 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History Dunbar Rowland, LL.D., Director Jordan B. Chambers, Archeologist — Marked 1934 by — Horseshoe Robertson Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m107820) HM
Mississippi (Clay County), West Point — West Point
County seat of Clay (formerly Colfax ) County. Chartered November 20, 1858, one year after the arrival of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad. — Map (db m50298) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — Dr. Aaron Henry
Born near Clarksdale, Aaron Henry was an American civil rights leader, politician, and head of the Mississippi branch of the NAACP. He was one of the founders of the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party, which tried to seat their . . . — Map (db m90389) HM
Mississippi (Coahoma County), Clarksdale — 105 — WROX Radio
Front WROX, Clarksdale’s first radio station, went on the air on June 5, 1944, from studios at 321 Delta Avenue. From 1945 until 1955 the station was headquartered here at 257 Delta. Legendary disc jockey Early “Soul Man” . . . — Map (db m90033) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Brielmaier House
This house was built in 1895 for Mrs. Henry Graves and soon sold to her brother, Paul W. Brielmaier. A skilled carpenter who was superintendent and later owner of a local millwork company. Brielmaier may have constructed the house as a showcase for . . . — Map (db m91144) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Moran Site
Located here was a French Colonial cemetery, now known as the Moran Site. Based on archaeological investigations, the cemetery dates to the founding of "New Biloxy" between 1717 and 1722, and includes at least thirty burials, primarily male . . . — Map (db m68448) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Slavic Benevolent Association
Originally on this site was the Slavic Benevolent Association Lodge, a 13,000 sq. ft. structure with a meeting hall accommodating 600 people. Known as the Slavonian Lodge, the building served as a social center for the large number of ethnic Slavs . . . — Map (db m102174) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Handsboro Presbyterian Church
Organized November 18, 1877, by the New Orleans Presbytery. The present church building was erected in 1891 on the site of the original building which was destroyed by fire in 1889. — Map (db m81007) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Mississippi City Courthouse
Constructed in 1893 as part of the Harrison County Circuit Clerk's office, the "Old Courthouse," located here, was a two-story, red brick edifice. It was the last remaining structure associated with a complex of courthouse buildings in Mississippi . . . — Map (db m81011) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Gulfport — Old Gulfport High School
The Gulfport High School, built in 1923 by architect N. W. Overstreet, replaced two earlier schools built in 1899 and 1905, both of which burned. Opened in 1924 at a new location on 15th Street, the school was converted to a junior high in 1977 due . . . — Map (db m102167) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — The Flag of the United States of America
The Stars and Stripes originated as a result of a resolution offered by the Marine Committee of the Second Continental Congress at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and adopted June 14, 1777. — Map (db m81111) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Pass Christian — The Liberty Bell
The bell bears the inscription "Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof." — Map (db m81112) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Clinton — Dr. Walter Hillman
Walter Hillman was President of the Central Female Institute from 1855 to 1887 and of Mississippi College from 1867 to 1873. During the Civil War he saved many Clintonians from starvation by requesting rations from General Sherman. When Charles . . . — Map (db m103744) HM
Mississippi (Itawamba County), Fulton — The Cedars
Also known as the Cates~Gaither House, this one-story Greek Revival~style planters cottage was built in ca. 1859 by ship builder and merchant Pleasant Cates. The heavy framing includes original pegged joints. Named for the cedar trees on the . . . — Map (db m96773) HM
Mississippi (Itawamba County), Fulton — Underground Railroad Bicycle Route
Front The 2,006.5-mile Underground Railroad Bicycle Route (UGRR) was created by the nonprofit organization Adventure Cycling Association. From Mobile, Alabama, to Owen Sound, Ontario, the trail memorializes the Underground Railroad, a . . . — Map (db m102972) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), University — Society Of Professional Journalists Historic Site in Journalism — The University of Mississippi
Agence France-Presse journalist Paul Guihard was one of more than 300 journalists who watched the chaos surrounding the admission of James Meredith to the University of Mississippi. He was murdered on campus near the student union around 9 P.M., . . . — Map (db m102889) HM
Mississippi (Lauderdale County), Meridian — 10 — Jimmie Rodgers & The Blues
Jimmie Rodgers (1897 – 1933) is widely known as the "father of country music," but blues was a prominent element of his music. The influence of his famous "blue yodels" can be heard in the music of Mississippi blues artists including . . . — Map (db m59656) HM
Mississippi (Leflore County), Greenwood — Fort Pemberton Park
In the 1863 Campaign against Vicksburg, General Grant tried several approaches, one being to send troops on transports down the Tallahatchie and Yazoo Rivers. He cut the Mississippi River levee in February which flooded the several bayous between . . . — Map (db m77329) HM
Mississippi (Monroe County), Amory — Gilmore Sanitarium
The Gilmore Sanitarium was built in 1916 by Ellie Davidson Gilmore and his wife, Virginia. This twenty-two bed facility included a laboratory and operating room. The sanitarium served as Amory's primary hospital until 1961, after which the building . . . — Map (db m102610) HM
Mississippi (Newton County), Newton — Grierson's Raid
Here at Newton Station, on April. 24, 1863, Federals under General Benjamin H. Grierson struck the Vicksburg-Meridian rail route, tore up tracks, & burned depot. — Map (db m77265) HM
Mississippi (Oktibbeha County), Starkville — 146 — Oktibbeha County Blues
Front Oktibbeha County has produced several blues artists who achieved fame for their recordings and live performances in Chicago, California, or other areas. Blues Hall of Famer Big Joe Williams (c. 1903-1982), who waxed the classic . . . — Map (db m102869) HM
Mississippi (Panola County), Como — 172 — Napolian Strickland
Front Napolian Strickland (1924-2001) was one of Mississippi's most gifted musicians in the fife and drum and country blues traditions. A lifelong resident of the Como-Senatobia area, Strickland excelled on the homemade cane fife and . . . — Map (db m102874) HM
Mississippi (Panola County), Como — 82 — Otha Turner
Front The African American fife and drum tradition in north Mississippi stretches back to the 1800s and is often noted for its similarities to African music. Its best known exponent, Otha (or Othar) Turner (c. 1908-2003), presided over . . . — Map (db m102872) HM
Mississippi (Panola County), Sardis — Sardis
The home of John W. Kyle, state Supreme Court Justice, and Andrew Johnson, noted architect; Sardis began ca. 1844 as a tiny log school and preaching house. Incorp. in 1866, it became the seat of Panola County in 1871. — Map (db m102672) HM
Mississippi (Pontotoc County), Pontotoc — 155 — Pontotoc County Blues
Front Pontotoc County's wide-ranging musical legacy encompasses African American blues from Baby Face Leroy Foster, Lee Gates, R. C. Weatherall, and Terry "Harmonica" Bean as well as music by white artists who combined blues or R&B . . . — Map (db m102867) HM
Mississippi (Sunflower County), Moorhead — 22 — Johnny Russell
Front John Bright “Johnny” Russell (1940-2001) was born and raised in Moorhead and went on to become a star of the Grand Ole Opry and a popular country recording artist, with such hits as “Catfish John” and . . . — Map (db m77168) HM
Mississippi (Tallahatchie County), Glendora — King's Place
This site is where a black reporter, James Hicks, discovered information pertinent to the trial for the murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till in 1955. Here a young woman revealed to Hicks the real name of Leroy “Too Tight” Collins, as well . . . — Map (db m89872) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Glass Mounds — Mississippi Mound Trail
The Glass site originally consisted of four pyramidal mound surrounding an open plaza, with a possible fifth mound located to the north. Of these, Mound A alone remains undamaged. It stands 30 feet high and has a ramp extending south toward the . . . — Map (db m103780) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — President McKinley Visits the "Land of Cotton"
When William McKinley, the 25th president of the United States (1897-1901), visited Vicksburg on May 1, 1901, cotton was “king” in Vicksburg and Warren County, as is evidenced by this arch of cotton bales (each weighing about 450 pounds) . . . — Map (db m104143) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — The Vicksburg Garden Clubs and Planters Hall
Vicksburg's first Garden Club was founded by Hester Craig Flowers in 1931 to "further the interest in home flower gardens and general beautification of the city." By 1943, membership had grown to a point that the members were divided into twelve . . . — Map (db m104125) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg — Tobias Gibson
Homesite of "Father of Methodism" in Mississippi. Sent, 1799 to Mississippi Territory as missionary, he founded many of its early churches. He is buried on Crawford Street Church lawn. — Map (db m89738) HM
Mississippi (Warren County), Vicksburg National Military Park — Indiana 1st Brig. 10th Div. 13th Corps — 60th Infantry / 16th Infantry / 67th Infantry
Indiana 1st Brig. 10th Div. 13th Corps 60th Infantry Colonel Richard Owen, Guard at Perkins' Landing, Louisiana, from April 28 to about May 28. Engaged: Siege, June 1-June 22. Duty at Black River . . . — Map (db m104273) HM WM
Mississippi (Washington County), Greenville — David "Honey Boy" Edwards — b. June 28, 1915 - Shaw Mississippi
"Who May Your Regulars Be" "Drop Down Mama" "Old Friends" "The World Don't Owe Me Nothing" "Mississippi Delta Bluesman" Played with Robert Johnson Tommy Johnson Little Walter Jacobs Big Joe Williams Kansas City Red . . . — Map (db m90401) HM
Mississippi (Washington County), Leland — 7 — Corner of 10 and 61
Front A major source of income for blues artists in the first half of the 20th century was tips. This corner, formerly the intersection of highways 10 and 61, was a profitable spot, particularly on Saturdays when people from the . . . — Map (db m90131) HM
Mississippi (Wayne County), Clara — Wayne County Agricultural High School
Open here from 1911 to 1938 offering education, work, and practical experience to the rural youth of the county. Boasted classrooms, boys' and girls' dorms, dairy herd and barn, and cultivated fields. — Map (db m80376) HM
Mississippi (Yazoo County), Bentonia — 51 — Nehemiah “Skip” James
Front The haunting quality of Nehemiah “Skip” James’s music earned him a reputation as one of the great early Mississippi bluesmen. James (1902-1969) grew up at the Woodbine Plantation and as a youth learned to play both . . . — Map (db m77272) HM
New Mexico (Union County), Capulin — Building a Cinder Cone
Cinder cones experience a single eruptive period, and then die. Several explosive eruptions created Capulin Volcano, during a period as short as one year or as long as nine or more years. Today Capulin Volcano is extinct. Volcanic ash, . . . — Map (db m89235) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Williamsburg — In Recognition of 200 Years of Freedom and Dedication — Williamsburg, Ohio Bicentennial — 1796-1996
This monument is dedicated to the pioneers who early in the year 1796 braved many dangers and suffered numerous hardships in order to establish the small settlement of Lytlestown, later to be named Williamsburgh, along the banks of the East Fork of . . . — Map (db m108602) HM
Ohio (Meigs County), Reedsville — 31 — Tupper Plains — Another Ruse — John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail
After the Battle of Buffington Island, Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan and his remaining Confederate force of about 800 raiders turned inland from the Ohio River to escape the navy's gunboats and avoid pursuit. Union Brigadier General James M. . . . — Map (db m108283) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Goodlettsville — 3A 15 — Old Stone Bridge
Immediately to the east is one of the stone bridges over which passed the old stage road from Nashville to Louisville. The stage line operated until the rail-road was completed in 1859. — Map (db m83281) HM
Tennessee (Montgomery County), Clarksville — Freedmen's Camp and the USCT
Wars generate refugees, and the Civil War was no exception. After Union forces took control of Clarksville and New Providence in early 1863 many escaped slaves and a few uprooted white Unionists came here for protection and assistance. They . . . — Map (db m92026) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Suffering and Survival — Civil War in Sullivan County
Union and Confederate forces in Sullivan County battled to control the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad and the Holston River, strategically vital transportation routes for moving soldiers and supplies. The county supported secession . . . — Map (db m108222) HM
Texas (Bowie County), Texarkana — 9471 — Central Christian Church
Founded in 1883 with the Rev. J. C. Mason as first pastor, the Central Christian Church congregation built this structure in 1932. Construction was supervised by architect and church member E. C. Seibert (1878-1941), who used carefully placed bricks . . . — Map (db m96569) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainesville — 5347 — The Great Hanging at Gainesville, 1862
Facing the threat of invasion from the north and fearing a Unionist uprising in their midst, the people of North Texas lived in constant dread during the Civil War. Word of a "Peace Party" of Union sympathizers, sworn to destroy their government, . . . — Map (db m97585) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Oak Ridge — 2097 — Gainesville
Founded 1850. Named for Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, who in 1836 aided Republic of Texas. Military supply headquarters during Civil War. Important in defense against Indian attacks and invasion. Center for agriculture, industry, oil. Home of famed . . . — Map (db m97591) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 13618 — First Christian Church
First Christian Church organized in Eastland in 1878 under the Rev. Cyrus Scarborough. There were a number of important Eastland leaders, including city founders, among the church’s early membership. In 1886, the congregation moved from the county . . . — Map (db m105243) HM
Texas (Fannin County), Bonham — 8872 — Fannin County
This area was first settled by Anglo - Americans who traveled up the Red River by steamboat in 1836. Fannin County was created in 1837, organized 1838, and named for James W. Fannin (1805-36), who was massacred with his soldiers at Goliad (March 27, . . . — Map (db m96688) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — A Railroad Boom Town Settles Down — 1870s
  Like the oil boom 60 years later, the railroad boom of the 1870s was a rowdy, colorful period that resulted in lasting improvements. Longview consisted of about 60 hastily built frame buildings near Center and Tyler Streets. Almost half of the . . . — Map (db m89186) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — First Came the Railroad — 1870
The original site of Longview lay on the western outskirts of Earpville, a pioneer Upshur County community along the old Marshall-Tyle Road (today known as U.S. Highway 80). Founded around 1850 by James Earp, (pronounced "Arpville") consisted of . . . — Map (db m89150) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — First Discovery Wells and Then the Boom! — 1930s
Black gold! Suddenly, the Great Depression was forgotten with the late 1930 discovery of the East Texas Oil Field, biggest in the world. Trapped in a layer of porous sandstone called the Woodbine formation 3,600 feet below the surface, the field was . . . — Map (db m89263) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 17735 — Johnny Cace's Seafood and Steak House
  This east Texas landmark established by John "Johnny" Cace, Jr. has served the area since 1949. Johnny was the son of a Yugoslav immigrant who grew up on the island village of Prvic Luka and spent his childhood fishing and boating in the . . . — Map (db m89031) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — 12759 — Longview Municipal Building and Central Fire Station
The city of Longview was incorporated in 1871, and there is evidence of a volunteer fire department as early as 1887. A new city hall complex with fire station was constructed in 1905, but the 1930s East Texas oil boom and subsequent population . . . — Map (db m89006) HM
Texas (Gregg County), Longview — World War II & Its Aftermath — 1940s
During World War II, served as gathering point for the "Big Inch" pipeline. Two feet in diameter — the largest pipe yet constructed—the "Big Inch" line carried crude oil to Pennsylvania. From there, branches led to East Coast . . . — Map (db m89265) HM
Texas (Hardeman County), Quanah — Quanah Parker Trail Arrow — Texas Plains Trail Region
The legendary Quanah Parker, railway icon and town namesake, blessed Town of Quanah in 1890 Arrow sculptor: Charles A. Smith — Map (db m96823) HM
Texas (Kent County), Jayton — 1259 — Double Mountain Salt Works — (on Brazos River)
On Indian-infested frontier 125 miles beyond Fort Belknap and outer settlements. Northernmost business in Confederate Texas. Established at great risk, to obtain salt, scarce during Civil War and vitally needed to cure meat, season food, cure hides . . . — Map (db m105239) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8195 — First National Bank of Paris
Organized and opened for business at its present location in 1886 by William J. McDonald (1844-1926), Civil War veteran and lawyer. Earlier he had opened the Citizens Bank of Clarksville and in 1889 he established a Delta County Bank. Under his . . . — Map (db m97619) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8214 — Paris
This site marks the first call for survey of the city of Paris, Republic of Texas, 1844. Geo. W. Wright, early settler, soldier in Texas War for Independence, congressman of the Republic, donated 50 acres of land for Lamar County Seat. Plat of lots, . . . — Map (db m97626) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 17903 — Paris Cotton Compress
In the early 1880s, cotton began to dominate Texas agriculture as a principal cash crop, with over two million cultivated acres producing 800,000 bales of cotton per year. With the 1876 arrival of the first railroad line to Paris, local businessmen . . . — Map (db m96687) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — Head of Elm — (Saint Jo) — Historic Camp Site
Head of Elm (Saint Jo) Historic Camp Site for 1849 Capt. Randolph B. Marcy on Government Survey Trip 1854 Capt. John Pope Surveying Proposed Federal R.R. 1855 U.S. 2nd Cavalry Under Col. Albert Sidney Johnson en . . . — Map (db m96758) HM
Texas (Montague County), Saint Jo — 5538 — Town of Saint Jo
One of oldest towns in Montague County. Founded in 1850s, during great California Gold Rush, by E.S. and Ithane Singletary (Brothers) and John Hughes, who hoped to find gold here. The community they started became known as "Head of Elm" for its . . . — Map (db m96760) HM
Texas (Panola County), Carthage — 13056 — International Boundary Marker
In the early 1700s, France and Spain began disputing their New World international boundary that included this area; each nation claimed what is now Texas. When the U.S. purchased the Louisiana Territory from France in 1803, the boundary was still . . . — Map (db m105262) HM
Texas (Red River County), Clarksville — 16079 — James Clark
Founder of Clarksville ◊ Born in Tennessee, 1798 ◊ Died in Clarksville, 1838 — Map (db m96883) HM
Texas (Scurry County), Snyder — 4897 — Site of The MacKenzie Trail
  Following the Civil War, the Texas frontier pushed westward, giving rise to renewed hostilities as the white man once again invaded Indian lands.   Foremost in the campaign to calm the frontier was Col. Ranald S. MacKenzie, who blazed . . . — Map (db m88835) HM
Texas (Wilbarger County), Vernon — Napoleon 12 Pounder Bronze Field Gun Model 1857
Napoleon 12 Pounder Bronze Field Gun Model 1857 Bore: 4.62 ". Tube Weight: 1225 lbs. Tube Length: 66" . Maximum Range: 1660 Yards Ordnance Inspector: T.J.R. 1863 (Thomas Jackson Rodman, Union Officer) U.S. Stamped (Tested and . . . — Map (db m97992) HM WM
West Virginia (Monroe County), Union — Civil War Monument
On Aug. 21, 1901 this 20 ft. monument with 6 ft. statue depicting typical Confederate soldier was dedicated to the Monroe County men who served the lost cause. Hinton Marble Works produced the Italian marble statue, standing on granite pedestal, . . . — Map (db m76649) HM WM

2709 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2509
Paid Advertisement