Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1338 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 1138
 
Lockport Bank Marker, Front of Building image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 13, 2014
Lockport Bank Marker, Front of Building
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Cannon Barrel
In 1960, the Lincoln Historical Society (now the St. Catharines Historical Society) recovered this cannon barrel from the banks of Twelve Mile Creek, formerly the route of the First and Second Welland Canals. It had been buried in the area under the . . . — Map (db m76089) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — In Honoured Memory of the Men of the Township of Grantham
[base] In honoured memory of the men of the Township of Grantham who gave their lives in the Great War. 1914 1918 Canada [apex] Their name liveth for evermore. [left] Vimy Ridge Passchendaele Amiens Arras Drocourt Dury . . . — Map (db m76098) WM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Ridley College
One of Ontario's most prominent independent boarding schools, this college, named for a 16th century Christian martyr, was opened in 1889. It was established by Anglican churchman to provide boys with a sound preparatory education and to instill in . . . — Map (db m76250) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Shipbuilding in St. Catharines 1845 Our Heritage St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
St. Catharines became an important part of the shipping industry due to te building of the Welland Canals and its location between two Great Lakes. Louis Shickluna, a shipbuilder who emigrated to St. Catharines to Malta, began working as a builder . . . — Map (db m76284) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Spring Tooth Cultivator
After a vineyard has been disked, a cultivator is used to break the earth into smaller pieces for a leveller finish. This one, from the Vansickle Road farm of Jim Brown in St. Catharines, was used from about 1900 until 1980 when it was given to the . . . — Map (db m76281) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — The Founding of St. Catharines
Before this region was settled, several Indian trails intersected here at a ford in Twelve Mile Creek. They were improved by early settlers and a church was erected at the crossroads by 1798. A tavern soon followed and a settlement, known as St. . . . — Map (db m76092) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — The Welland Canals and the St. Lawrence Seaway System
The Welland Ship Canal is the fourth in a series of successively larger canals that were built to join Lakes Ontario and Erie - the first being completed in 1829. The present Canal was opened in 1932. It forms part of the St. Lawrence Seaway/Great . . . — Map (db m76328) HM
Ontario (Niagara Region), St. Catharines — Victoria Lawn Cemetery 1855 St. Catharines Heritage Corridor
The first person to be buried on this land was a sailor known simply as Brooks. that year, 1855, when the land was still known only as Potter's Fields, seven others were also buried, beginning the establishment of St. Catharines' largest and most . . . — Map (db m76332) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Aquasco — Brig Gen Leonard Covington 1768 - 1813
Brig Gen Leonard Covington 1768-1813 War of 1812 hero born at nearby Covington Farm, Aquasco. Covington served in the Maryland Senate (1802, 1807-1809) and U.S. House of Representatives (1805-1807). Mortally wounded on November 11, 1813, at . . . — Map (db m79348) HM WM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Maine Central Instruction Car No. 2001
In 1914 the Pullman Company built this all steel car as a 87 seat coach-smoker for the Maine Central Railroad. It started out as Maine Central No. 252, and was later renumbered 209 with seating capacity reduced to 73, with 11 seats in the smoking . . . — Map (db m78343) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — North Conway 5 and 10 Store
North Conway 5 and 10 Store is listed on the National Register Of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m78246) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Roundhouse
Built Ca. 1874 by the Portsmouth, Great Falls, and Conway Railroad. For well over a century this sturdy old building, with its four stalls, has served as a shelter where locomotives can be repaired, serviced and stored. Over the years stalls have . . . — Map (db m78338) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), North Conway — Schouler Park
By vote of the Conway town meeting of 1924 the $3,000 bequest of Dr. James Schouler was used to buy this land from the Boston and Maine Railroad. It was deeded to the town on express condition that it be used only for a public park, and named . . . — Map (db m78325) HM
New Hampshire (Carroll County), Tamworth — In Memory of Those Who Served
Erected by the Town of Tamworth In memory of those who served their country. "To you from failing hands we throw the torch - be yours to hold it high." — Map (db m97062) WM
New Hampshire (Grafton County), Lincoln — Clark's Bridge
Clark's Bridge. Make: Howe Truss. Built: 1904. Weight 200 tons. Capacity 200 tons. Length 116'. Width 21'8". Clearance 20'6" Originally spanned the Winooski River in Barre, VT. Disassembled in 1960 and moved to Lincoln. Reassembled and in service . . . — Map (db m97238) HM
New York (Allegany County), Belfast — Belfast Civil War Monument
(front) In honor of our soldiers the defenders of the Union Civil War 1861 - 1865 Gettysburg (right) Sixth New York Cavalry Five Forks (rear) Enlisted from Allen, N.Y. Wilderness (left) First . . . — Map (db m75785) WM
New York (Allegany County), Belfast — Belfast World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam Memorial
We dedicate this memorial to those who served in World War II, Korean Conflict and Vietnam, especially those who died for our freedom. — Map (db m75787) WM
New York (Allegany County), Cuba — Dedicated to All Veterans
Dedicated to all veterans Through peace or war their memories will never die — Map (db m86600) WM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Franklinville — Peter T. Tenbroeck Farmer, Public Benefactor and Founder of Tenebroeck Free Academy
Born in Somerset County, New Jersey in 1793, and moved to Farmersville, New York in 1816, with his home near this cemetery. Peter T. Tenbroeck and his immediate family are buried in this plot. Peter T. Tenbroeck was a successful farmer, was a . . . — Map (db m86627) HM
New York (Cattaraugus County), Red House — Weather Station
DeForrest A. Mattison, a park forest supervisor and unpaid observer for the U.S. Weather Bureau, set up the park's first weather station in September 1924. First located in the Quaker area, the station was moved to this site in 1929. In subsequent . . . — Map (db m77544) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — 500 Feet → Fort Hill
500 Feet → Fort Hill Prehistoric Indian fort. Traditional birthplace of Chief Logan. Now a cemetery. — Map (db m88174) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Case Research Lab
Case Research Lab Birthplace of talking movies in 1924. Theodore Case developed sound film and partnered with Fox Studios to create Movietone News. — Map (db m88038) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Auburn — Korean War
[front center] Koren War "The Forgotten War" 25 June 1950 - 27 July 1953 Dedicated to the men and women of Cayuga County for their contriutions and sacrifices in saving a nation fom communism and preserving peace, freedom and prosperity. Killed . . . — Map (db m88306) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Cato — Old Mill
Old Mill First grist mill in Ira. Built in 1818 by John Hooker, associate of Ethan Allen. Mill was old part of present building. — Map (db m83777) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Fair Haven — Honoring All Men and Women
Honoring all men and women from the village of Fair Haven and the town of Sterling who served in World War I and World War II ✰ ✰ ✰ Dedicated to the following who made the supreme sacrifice World War I Otto Berlin . . . — Map (db m79726) WM
New York (Cayuga County), Fair Haven — Site of Methodist Episcopal Church
Site Of Methodist Episcopal Church Erected 1882 Local red brick construction Sold and dismantled in 1934 — Map (db m79725) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Ira — Burial Place
Burial Place of the pioneers of this section, including several revolutionary veterans 1809-1860 — Map (db m83811) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Montezuma — Montezuma Heritage Park Mural & Historic Markers Dedication May 4, 2013
In 1828, the Cayuga-Seneca Canal opened in Montezuma allowing transportation of people and goods into the Finger Lakes and beyond by connecting with the Erie Canal at this site. The Exchange Hotel provided lodging for travelers and was the center of . . . — Map (db m83560) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — Tanner's Dry Dock
About two hundred feet from here was once the location of the D. B. Tanner Dry Dock, built in 1863 on the former Clinton's Ditch alignment. Craftmen built and repaired canal cargo boats in the dry docks that carried grain, coal, lumber and the . . . — Map (db m103582) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Port Byron — The Erie Canal in Port Byron Erie Canal Heritage Park at Port Byron Today's Canal System in New York
The Erie Canal in Port Byron When the original Erie Canal or "Clinton's Ditch" was completed here in 1819, Port Byron was transformed from a frontier settlement to a thriving canal town. Indeed, the local citizens were so hopeful with the new . . . — Map (db m103580) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Sterling — Site of First Baptist Church of Sterling
Site of first Baptist church of Sterling erected in 1841, federated with United Presbyterian in 1931 Churches consolidated in 1962 Sold and dismantled in 1970 — Map (db m79782) HM
New York (Cayuga County), Throop — Town of Throop
Town of Throop Formed in 1859 from portions of Aurelius, Mentz, and Sennett, named after Governor Enos T. Throop of Auburn — Map (db m87921) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Dunkirk — The Lighthouse Service
Established in 1789, the U.S. Lighthouse Service maintained lighthouses and a district headquarters in Buffalo until it was absorbed by the Coast Guard in 1939. Tenth District, long under the command of District Lighthouse Superintendent Roscoe . . . — Map (db m84334) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — First Bank
Site of the First Bank in this county "The Chautauque County Bank" Erected 1831 Burned 1861 It greatly aided the early development of the entire region. — Map (db m94855) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Keyes' Carpenter Shop
Keyes' Carpenter Shop Here in 1816 Royal Keyes cabinet maker erected a small two-story carpenter shop. In its second story he employed his spare time in making simple articles of furniture for the pioneer community. From this small . . . — Map (db m94865) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Quaker School
Quaker School From 1833 to 1843 on this site Mary E. Osborne, a Quaker widow, conducted a boarding school for young ladies. — Map (db m94816) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Stage Stop 1823
Stage Stop 1823 Site of the Ballard Tavern, opened in 1818. It became the stop for the Jamestown-Mayville statgecoach line operated by Capt. Gilbert Ballard beginning in 1823. — Map (db m94837) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Jamestown — Walter Edward Washington 1915 - 2003
. . . — Map (db m94775) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Pomfret — Lily Dale Assembly Spiritualism's Largest Community Cultural Heritage
Lily Dale Timeline 1955 Fox cottage burns. 1924 Marion H. Sidmore Library building constructed. 1915 Fox cottage moved to Lily Dale. 1900 Great Lily Dale fire burns many cottages. 1893 Lily Dale contains 215 cottages. 1888 Assembly Hall . . . — Map (db m94898) HM
New York (Erie County), Akron — In Honor of Those Who Fought
In honor of those who fought and died, of those who fought and lived. This monument erected by J. J. Peck Post No. 398 G.A.R. and the citizens of the Town of Newstead. — Map (db m75078) WM
New York (Erie County), Akron — Russell Park
On September 27, 1852, Jonathon Russell, the first settler in the Village of Akron, deeded this tract to our village with the provision that it be maintained as a public park, or if it not so maintained, it was to revert to his legal heirs. erected . . . — Map (db m75080) HM
New York (Erie County), Amherst — Transit Road Church C. 1854
[photo] Church on original site. This church, originally Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, was constructed in approximately 1854, when the first baptism and marriage were recorded. It was located on Transit Road near Muegel Road, north of the . . . — Map (db m83405) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — 28th U. S. Infantry
Dedicated to the 28th U. S. Infantry The last troops to garrison Fort Porter which was abandoned - June 28, 1926. Major operations of 28th Inf. in World War Lorraine, Picardy, Montdidier-Noyon, Aisen-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne Strength . . . — Map (db m74185) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Buffalo Zoo Growing with the City
Menagerie to Habitat. The Buffalo Zoo, like other modern zoos, has become an educational facility that focuses on conservation and reproduction of endangered species. The Zoo has reintroduced some endangered animals to their native habitats. Today's . . . — Map (db m75074) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Central Presbyterian Church
Central Presbyterian Church Founded November 14, 1835 Moved to this site May 7, 1910 — Map (db m81140) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Chester C. Gorski
Chester C. Gorski statesman, community leader, humanitarian Born June 22, 1906. Died April 25, 1975. President of The Common Council 1959 to 1973. Member of the United States Congress, Erie County Board of Supervisors Buffalo Common . . . — Map (db m92937) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Dedicated to the Men of the 102nd Separate Battalion Coast Artillery Anti-Aircraft
This unit was formed from 2nd Squadron 121st Cavalry NYRG serving Feb. 1928 to October 1940 at Buffalo, N.Y. The unit was converted and redesignated 102nd Separate Battalion Coast Artillery (AA) Oct. 1940 Unit inducted into Federal Service Jan. . . . — Map (db m84627) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Dedicated with Respect
Dedicated with Respect to World War II & Korean Veterans Erected throught the efforts of The AMVETS Post No 209 Remember Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 [back] In memory of Leo D. and Dorothy K. Gomlak for outstanding service to nation . . . — Map (db m92958) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Development of the Outer Harbor The Industrial Heritage Trail
Buffalo's Breakwater System The desirability of an outer harbor for Buffalo was recognized as early as 1835. Built between 1838 and 1867 along what is now Fuhrmann Blvd., the sea wall provided protection of the inner harbor. By 1867 Buffalo . . . — Map (db m86359) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — D'Youville College
First women's college in western New York. Established 1908 by the Grey nuns. Center building, 1874, originally housed Holy Angels Academy. College led renewal of city's west side by expansion program, 1954-1969. — Map (db m80027) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
The Erie Canal was America's most successful and influential public works project. Completed in 1825, the 363-mile-long waterway established the first all-water route for navigation between the Atlantic Ocean and the upper Great Lakes, opened the . . . — Map (db m84822) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — First Unitarian Congregational Society Building
. . . — Map (db m92879) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Historic Lake Erie
Historic Lake Erie Named for the Indian Nation of the Eries who dwelt on these shores before 1634 when they were conquered by the Iroquoian Confederacy. 1641 – Earliest mention of the lake in writing of French missionaries. 1669 – . . . — Map (db m92935) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Improvements in Ship Design The Industrial Heritage Trail
The maritime industry of the Great Lakes expanded greatly after completion of the Erie Canal in 1825. The canal allowed a growing U.S. population into the Midwest, which turned the Great Lakes into busy nautical highways for moving wheat, corn, . . . — Map (db m86025) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Korea
Korea — Map (db m84652) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Lafayette High School
Erected 1903. Oldest public high school in Buffalo in continuous use. French Neo-Renaissance architecture by Esenwein & Johnson. On National Register. Watchwords: Loyalty, Honor, Service. — Map (db m80418) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Moving North Michigan Avenue Heritage Corridor
The Michigan Avenue Corridor was founded to preserve the roots of freedom and the heritage of Buffalo's East Side. Byron W. Brown, Mayor. City of Buffalo Office of Strategic Planning, Timothy J. Wanamaker, Executive Director. The dawn of the . . . — Map (db m81263) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Our Legacy of Abundant Water Buffalo History and Architecture Niagara Square South
The presence of a vast inland sea and its wide river tributary in western New York soon attracted settlers. The tiny village of Black Rock, north of Ellicott's Niagara Square, was expected to flourish, however, not Buffalo. Black Rock already has an . . . — Map (db m92835) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Park Lane Condominium
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1927 — Map (db m80403) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Peter B. Porter
General, Congressman and later Sec. of War, lived here until his home was destroyed by the British at the burning of Buffalo 1813. — Map (db m74727) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — St. Mary's-on-the-Hill
St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Episcopal Church was built on this site in 1874. The original wooden church was replaced by the Medina Sandstone ediface pictured above in 1893. Built in a style reminiscent of village churches constructed in England during . . . — Map (db m80420) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The 1833 Buffalo Lighthouse
The oldest building in Buffalo still standing on its original site, this lighthouse was built in 1832 and 1833. The oldest portion is the 44-foot tapering octagonal tower. The original lantern room was removed in 1857 and the stone casement window . . . — Map (db m85127) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The American Elevator The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1985. The American Elevator was the first reinforced concrete grain elevator built on Buffalo's waterfront. It was designed and built by the James Stewart Company for the . . . — Map (db m85960) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Coast Guard
The Coast Guard Base in Buffalo is both a lifeboat station and a regional headquarters covering American Coastal waters from eastern Ohio to the Thousand Islands area of the St. Lawrence River. Units here include station Buffalo, Group Buffalo . . . — Map (db m84984) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Concrete Central Elevator The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. The Concrete Central Elevator is located between the Buffalo River and the track of the former New York Central Railroad. It is the furthest upstream of any . . . — Map (db m85957) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Erie Canal / Two Waterfronts
The Erie Canal This site marks the west end of the canal opened in 1825. It carried products and people between Lake Erie and the Hudson River. Two Waterfronts The convergence of lake and canal made possible the . . . — Map (db m84473) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — The Spencer Kellogg Elevator The Industrial Heritage Trail
Image Source: Historic American Engineering Record. Jet Lowe, photographer, 1994. This 1,000,000 bushel elevator was completed in 1911 to supply Spencer Kellogg's linseed oil mill, the world's largest at the time. Unlike most of the elevators on . . . — Map (db m85849) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — USS Grenadier (SS210) Lost in Action April 22, 1943
Scuttled by her crew due to damage inflicted by enemy aircraft. All members were captured by the Japanese and imprisoned until war's end. Crewmen that died in P.O.W. camp: Doyle, Charles - MOMM1; Linder, Charles - MOMM2; Guico, Justiano - MATT1; . . . — Map (db m88231) WM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Waterfront Sites From the LaSalle Park Gateway
Waterfront Sites From the LaSalle Park Gateway From the miltary garrison in Fort Erie to the wind turbines visible to the south, this vantagepoint depicts the endeavors of over 250 years of economic history. LaSalle Park. Named for the . . . — Map (db m93008) HM
New York (Erie County), Buffalo — Wind Power on the Waterfront The Industrial Heritage Trail
In June 2007, eight wind turbines began operation along the shores of Lake Erie, capturing the constant breezes and generating enough clean energy to power 6,000 homes. The "Steel Winds" project is unique for several reasons, most notably its . . . — Map (db m93997) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Bellevue Cheektowaga Historic Rails to Trails
The Bellevue Neighborhood was one of the earliest settlements in Cheektowaga, when the Ely family settled there and established one of the first saw mills in Cheektowaga along Cayuga Creek. These family members were abolitionists and maintained an . . . — Map (db m82326) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — Earliest Church
Our Lady of Christians started as a shrine in 1851. Fulfilling a vow he made during an Atlantic storm in November 1836. German immigrant Joseph Batt gave land and built the shrine. In October 1890, this church became the first parish in . . . — Map (db m81469) HM
New York (Erie County), Cheektowaga — The Original Site of Forks Hose Company #2
The original site of Forks Hose Company #2 established Oct 11th 1911 and later the site of the Forks Hotel, famous for Eddie Fechter's magic. — Map (db m81420) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Goodrich-Landow Log Cabin
This building is not a replica but a genuine log cabin moved here in 1990 and restored as an exhibit by the Town of Clarence and the Historical Society. It is the best surviving local example of the type of cabin erected by early settlers from New . . . — Map (db m74996) HM
New York (Erie County), Clarence — Town of Clarence - Ransom's Grove
First settlement in Town on Clarence (and second in Erie County) made near this site in 1799 by Asa Ransom. Birthplace of Harry B. Ransom, first white male child on Holland Purchase. Joseph Ellicott opened Holland Land Company Office here at . . . — Map (db m75036) HM
New York (Erie County), Evans — Major William C. Dudley First Teacher of the Evans Center School
Ordered to join his regiment in the War of 1812, he dismissed school and rode to Buffalo. He was killed at the Battle of Black Rock, Dec 30, 1813. Erected by Evans Historical Society 1969 — Map (db m75306) HM WM
New York (Erie County), Grand Island — Bedell House 1877 - 1935
Bedell House 1877 - 1935 Site of the three-story hotel opened May 1, 1877 by Ossian Bedell, known politically as the "Duke of Grand Island". Ferry service ended when bridges were opened in 1935. — Map (db m101074) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — Kronenberg Alley
"Kronenberg Alley" honors the business begun by Joseph Kronenberg as a tim shop in 1848 at White's Corners (now Hamburg village). In 1848, Joseph's son William built the Fish and Kronenberg Store on Main Street with partner Newton Fish. By the 1930s . . . — Map (db m82464) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — Village of Hamburg Historic Walking Tour
The village of Hamburg has many historic buildings, both public and private. Some of the buildings are highlighted here. Follow the map below to see more of the village's historic buildings. 1) First Baptist Church 116 Main Street. The . . . — Map (db m82549) HM
New York (Erie County), Holland — Town of Holland Veterans Memorial
front of stone In Memory and honor of those men and women of this community who served their country when duty called.

top of stone Holland area residents who gave their lives while serving their country. — Map (db m76110) WM

New York (Erie County), Kenmore — Kenmore-Tonawanda Honors the Memory
[north side] Kenmore-Tonawanda honors the memory of those who gave their lives in World War II ★[south side] In sacred memory of those from Kenmore and the Town of Tonawanda who served and who gave their lives with a hope that others . . . — Map (db m92767) WM
New York (Erie County), Lancaster — Lancaster Presbyterian Church 1832
Organized February 7, 1818, by thirteen members in the Johnson school house 3 miles east as the "Presbyterian Society of Cayuga Creek." Present house of worship, first in the village, erected in 1832, including timbers salvaged from the . . . — Map (db m75646) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Orchard Park Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway Quaker Meetinghouse
The Quaker Meetinghouse, formally known as the "Meetinghouse of the Orchard Park Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of friends", is home to Erie County's oldest active congregation. Known as "Quakers" they brought with them their lifestyle, . . . — Map (db m80772) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Site of First Post Office in Present Orchard Park Township
Established at John Green's Tavern, April 8, 1814 and discontinued April 13, 1820. Mail arrived at this post office 3 times weekly. Settlers traveled miles to receive their mail here. — Map (db m80795) HM
New York (Erie County), Sardinia — Springville and Sardinia Railroad
About 250 feet east of here was the eastern terminus of the Springville and Sardinia R. R., a narrow gauge railroad operating in the 1870's - 80's. Largely responsible for the development of Chaffee. — Map (db m76283) HM
New York (Erie County), Springville — George Schuster Wins 1908 NY to Paris Automobile Race
In 1920 on this site, 74 N. Buffalo Street., Springville resident George Schuster (1873-1972) operated a Dodge Motor Car dealership. In 1908 George Schuster drove a Thomas Flyer to win the 169 day, 22,000 mile "Great Auto Race" from New York City . . . — Map (db m80642) HM
New York (Erie County), Springville — Our Honored Dead
[front] Our Honored Dead [right] In memory of the defenders of our country 1861-1865 [back] By valor and sacrifice, through unmeasured suffering and death, they preserved the honor and integrity of the nation and maintained the principle of . . . — Map (db m80640) WM
New York (Erie County), Springville — Shuttleworth Park
Site of 4.7 acre millpond, 1870-1950. Source of power, ice, recreation with a nearby factory which produced chairs, wagons, iron, cheese flour, woolen goods. Its waters quelled the great fires of 1879, 1894, 1946. — Map (db m80703) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Gastown Erie Canalway Trail
In 1884, the Tonawanda Gas Light Company was incorporated to supply gas to both Tonawanda and North Tonawanda for street and house lighting. The "gas works" was located on property once owned by Mary Long. Between the Canandaigua and Erie . . . — Map (db m87872) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Louis P.A. Eberhardt Home
Louis P.A. Eberhardt Home Kenmore's founder, Louis Phillip Adolph Eberhardt built this home in 1893-94 and occupied it until 1918 when it was acquired by the YWCA. This brownstone home and its twin, built by LPA's brother Fred, cost $150,000 . . . — Map (db m97913) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Lumber Capital
Thanks to the Erie Canal, the Niagara River, a naturally commodious harbor and a growing railroad center, the Tonawandas became a thriving lumber port during the last half of the nineteenth century. Lumber from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and . . . — Map (db m77350) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — The Railroad
Rise of the Railroad On August 26, 1836, the first steam locomotive in Western New York made its maiden run between Black Rock and Tonawanda at a speed of 15 - 20 miles an hour. By the 5th of November that same year, regular trips were made . . . — Map (db m77302) HM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Tonawanda Civil War Memorial
In memory of Soldiers Sailors & Marines of the Civil War of 1861 to 1865 — Map (db m77386) WM
New York (Erie County), Tonawanda — Town of Tonawanda Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to all who have served honorably in the armed forces of The United States of America. May their service never be forgotten. — Map (db m84455) WM
New York (Erie County), West Seneca — Dedicated to the Honor
. . . — Map (db m82347) WM
New York (Franklin County), Brushton — Chalybeate Springs
★ Chalybeate Springs Famous in the 1800's. Excursion trains to these mineral springs brought many seeking their therapeutic value. Mi. N. — Map (db m79133) HM
New York (Franklin County), Fort Covington — War of 1812
War of 1812 Site of winter quarters of General Wilkinson's Army after defeat at Chrysler's Field in War of 1812. — Map (db m79273) HM WM
New York (Franklin County), Malone — The Congressional Medal of Honor
The highest United States military decoration, awarded by the President in the name of Congress to members of the armed forces for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidy against the enemy, at risk of life, above and beyond the call of duty. The medal . . . — Map (db m78914) WM
New York (Franklin County), St. Regis Mohawk Reservation — Akwesasne (AH kwey ZAH sney) An Enduring Native Culture
Cultural Heritage- Ancient cultures flourished on abundant natural resources along the Seaway Trail. First Inhabitants Native people have lived here for thousands of years, using the natural resources found on land and in water. . . . — Map (db m79279) HM
New York (Franklin County), Westville — To The Memory of Westville Soldiers
To the memory of Westville soldiers who served in the World War — Map (db m79188) WM
New York (Genesee County), Alabama — Feeder Canal
Tonawanda Feeder Canal supplied water for the Erie Canal, Shelby mills, and Village of Medina power 1824-1919. — Map (db m72111) HM
New York (Genesee County), Batavia — Batavia
Seat of Holland Land Office. This City was founded in 1801 by Joseph Ellicott, local agent of Holland Land Company — Map (db m75849) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bethany — Bethany Town Hall / Bethany World War II Memorial
Bethany Town Hall built 1832. Over the years used as church, academy and Town House.

Dedicated to those of the Town of Bethany who gave their lives in World War II. John R. Despard, MMM 2/C; Leonard E. Fuller, 1st. Lt.; Clifford L. Hale, Pvt.; . . . — Map (db m75202) HM WM

New York (Genesee County), Elba — In Memory of John Young 1775 - 1836 Elba's First Settler 1803
. . . — Map (db m79068) HM
New York (Genesee County), Pembroke — Pioneer Cemetery
Deeded in 1850 to Town of Pembroke by John Ellicott for a burial ground. Rev. War soldier Samuel Huntington Buried Here. — Map (db m75598) HM
New York (Genesee County), Stafford — Pottery & Drain Tile Factory
. . . — Map (db m77664) HM
New York (Livingston County), Leicester — Site of De-Yu-It-Ga-Oh
Site of De-Yu-It-Ga-Oh (Valley Begins to Widen) Seneca Indian village. The spring used by Mary Jemison is nearby. — Map (db m96205) HM
New York (Livingston County), Nunda — Nunda Soldiers' Monument
"This monument stands and will stand in our cemetery...not only as a memorial to the soldier dead but as a monitor to the living; admonishing us as a people and nation, to deal justly with all mankind and with all nations...it commemorates that the . . . — Map (db m87655) WM
New York (Livingston County), Portage — Camp Portage Letchworth State Park
This picnic area once served as the camp and parade grounds for two Civil War volunteer units. The 14-acre camp, hastily constructed in mid-August 1862, consisted of officer's headquarters, two mess halls, and ten quarters for soldiers. Colonel . . . — Map (db m75832) HM
New York (Livingston County), Portage — Kish-A-Wa
First settlers in 1816; only village in 15 miles; home of many famous people; path of "Old Indian Trail" — Map (db m75757) HM
New York (Monroe County), East Rochester — Fryatt House
Fryatt House Built in 1917. Home to B.J. and Retta Fryatt. Pioneer village residents and first business owners. Donated to village in 1955 for library. E.R. local history — Map (db m101132) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — A New Park
The young men of the Civilian Conservation Corps' Company 1252 built much of what you see in the park today, including the comfort station and concession stand here. They built these structures from heavy stone and wooden timbers that they quarried . . . — Map (db m82682) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — Building a Park
Originally called Northwest Beach Park when Monroe County began its development in 1929, the park's name was changed to Hamlin Beach State Park when New York State took title in January 1938. Company 1252 of the Civilian Conservation Corps arrived . . . — Map (db m82648) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — Hamlin No. 14
The last common school district in the county to operate a one-room school, annexed to Hilton Central School District, Sept. 1956. — Map (db m78363) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — The CCC Goes to Work
In 1935 and 1936, the young men of Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1252 pruned trees, cleared the beach, and built roads and a large parking area in the park. They also quarried stone in Orleans County that would later be used to construct the . . . — Map (db m82655) HM
New York (Monroe County), Hamlin — The West Shelter
The West Shelter, or Shelter 3 as it is known today, was built by the men of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1252 in 1937. They quarried the stone locally and cut the timbers in the CCC camp sawmill. The West Shelter as it . . . — Map (db m82681) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop
Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop The oldest building in Irondequoit. Built in 1830 by Ransford Perrin. — Map (db m90154) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Live acts on the Front Lawn have entertained thousands over the past century. To name just a few: lion & tiger tamers, flying trapeze acts, high diving shows (including horses!), Freddy's Funny Ford, alligator wrestling, song & dance shows, . . . — Map (db m86458) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — First Library
First Library in the Genesee Country. Northfield Library Co., 1803-1808, kept its books at the farm of Ezra Patterson, first librarian. — Map (db m101123) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse
A Strategic Location Charlotte was once a bustling commercial shipping port, the destination of sidewheelers and sailing vessels unloading supplies for a growing city and loading products from the region. Today the harbor is still an . . . — Map (db m90400) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Lighthouses
Immediately after the War of 1812, there was a brisk and increased trade with Canada. In 1822, a lighthouse and two-room keeper's house were built on the bluff. In 1829, two piers were built to channel the river. A new wooden lighthouse was built at . . . — Map (db m90393) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Port of the Genesee, New York
Port of the Genesee, New York. Original artwork by Christopher Blossom. Oil on Canvas 34" x 60" Commissioned by the law firm of Harris Beach and Wilcox. The Story of the Painting In 1990, the law firm of Harris Beach and Wilcox commissioned . . . — Map (db m90429) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Village of Charlotte
Mark Twain is reported to have said that Rochester was noted for having a village six miles to its north that was named "CHAR-lotte," but the inhabitants call it Char-LOTT. However it is pronounced, the importance of Charlotte has been interwined . . . — Map (db m90536) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Root — Then and Now
Although basic principles of operation remain the same, locks along the Erie Canal have changed over the years. The canal's first locks, products of careful stonework by masons, measured 15 feet wide and 90 feet long. The concrete lock that you see . . . — Map (db m97634) HM
New York (Niagara County), Barker — Pallister House
Built 1895-1896 for Perry L. Pallister first President of the Village of Barker. — Map (db m73883) HM
New York (Niagara County), Cambria — North Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church Built 1846-1848
A good example of Greek Revival architecture and cobblestone masonry construction. First church building in North Ridge. Listed on state and national historic registers: 2002. Sign donated in memory of Suzanne Schultz. — Map (db m73745) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Hartland Corners
Settled in 1814 and known as Morehouse's Corners. The former hotel, school, blacksmith shop and stores served our early settlers — Map (db m78397) HM
New York (Niagara County), Hartland — Town of Hartland World War I and World War II Memorial
1917-1918 [eagle] 1941-1945 This memorial is erected by the citizens of the Town of Hartland in honor of its veterans of World War I and World War II and is dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice World War I . . . — Map (db m78400) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dedicated to the Men and Women
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served our country in time of war. — Map (db m82300) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dunleavy Hall (1972)
Dunleavy Hall is named for its primary benefactors, Francis J. Dunleavy, Class of '41, and his wife Albina. The modern structure, distinctive in contrast to the stately 19th- and 20th-century buildings that dominate the campus, was built at a cost . . . — Map (db m78638) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Little Yellow House - 1816
In 1810, the few settlers of the village under the leadership of pioneers Bates Cooke and Benjamin Barton petitioned the state of New York to have this area changed from a public square to building lots for purposes of selling. Benjamin Barton was . . . — Map (db m72506) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — O'Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970)
O'Shea Hall (1967)One of the two largest residence halls on campus, O'Shea Hall was completed in 1967. The eight-story structure has a capacity of 400 students. Administrative offices are located in the basement and on the ground floor. It is . . . — Map (db m78639) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Lewiston Mound
This Hopewell-style burial mound dates to A.D. 160+80. Thousands of similar mounds are located in the Ohio River Valley where the Hopewell lived in small scattered settlements from about 200 B.C. to A.D. 500. The Hopewell mound builders were great . . . — Map (db m94966) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels
Foundation Day: November 21, 1856. Feast of the Presentation of Mary. Co-Founders: Most Reverend John Timon, C.M. First Bishop of Buffalo; and Reverend John J. Lynch, C.M. First President of SOLA, First Archbishop of Toronto. First Location: St. . . . — Map (db m87903) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Underground Railroad Station #6
John Tryon was a Lewiston Abolitionist, elder of First Presbyterian Church and a conductor of the Underground Railroad. He helped countless runaway slaves attain their freedom across the Niagara River from a house known as "Tryon's Folly." This . . . — Map (db m82181) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-224 Canal Road
Originally Millards Hwy. Bridge. Built 1910 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 1993 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77554) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-225 Day Road
Originally Wakeman's Hwy. Bridge. Built 1909 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 2003 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77553) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport Bank
Established 1829. First and only bank in Niagara County until 1837. Used as bank until 1852. — Map (db m71273) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport YWCA Building
In 1835 this building was built by Gillette Bacon and sold in 1837 to Dr. George Merchant and again sold in 1861 to Abijah Moss. During the Civil War the home served as a refuge for slaves from the South. During World War I, it was the headquarters . . . — Map (db m77561) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Watson House
The Watson House circa 1855 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m81769) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Washington Hunt Law Office
Washington Hunt Law Office, 1835 - 1860. Burned and Rebuilt, 1835. — Map (db m70585) HM
New York (Niagara County), Middleport — Early Home
Phillip Freeman Home built circa 1830 reported to have been local "stop" of the "Underground Railway" — Map (db m75947) HM
New York (Niagara County), Newfane — Site of Stone Marking the Northernmost Point of the Transit Surveyed by Joseph Ellicott
Site of Stone Marking the Northernmost Point of the Transit Surveyed by Joseph Ellicott c. 1800 for the Holland Land Company. — Map (db m72264) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Eddy Basin Whirlpool Scenic Overlook Trail
The wide point of the river at this spot is called the "Eddy Basin".

If you look over the edge you will see an extensive shelf of Whirlpool Sandstone at river level. This was covered by water prior to the large water diversions for . . . — Map (db m74477) HM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Fort Schlosser Guarding the Upper Landing
Great Lakes Seaway Trail. New York State French and Indian War Commemoration 250 years. Securing Military and Commercial Goods. Fort Schlosser was built to protect the upper portage landing and was used as a storehouse for military and . . . — Map (db m72889) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Gad Pierce Tavern
Gad Pierce Tavern. Site of 1807 tavern built by Gad Pierce. US Militia delayed a British and Indian attack here on Dec 20, 1813 and escaped thru back door. Tavern rebuilt after war. — Map (db m70968) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Goat Island
Goat Island is made up of dolostone bedrock covered with glacial deposits. For thousands of years, these deposits lay under deep lake and river waters. About 3,500 years ago, the water level of the Upper Niagara began to drop, eventually exposing . . . — Map (db m74166) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Height, Sight, and Flight / The Niagara River Corridor Important Bird Area
Height, Sight, and Flight. Each year between 100 million and one billion birds die by collision with human-built structures. The danger of colliding with windows has increased for birds with the spread of urbanization and the decline of . . . — Map (db m77044) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara County Medal of Honor Monument
In memory of all Americans in the armed forces who sacrificed their lives in a time of need to preserve the freedom of this great nation.

The American Legion, Department of New York, Niagara County Committee, October 11, 1986.

Korean . . . — Map (db m78993) WM

New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Niagara's Industrial Beginnings and the Establishment of the State Reservation
In 1805, New York State sold the land around the falls, and mills and other businesses that used the Niagara river for power were established. These industries provided the local community with needed services, helping the area to prosper. When the . . . — Map (db m75345) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Nik Wallenda & Niagara Photo by James P. McCoy, 2012
On June 12, 2012, before thousands of spectators gathered here at Terrapin Point and millions watching around the world, famed aerialist Nik Wallenda stepped onto a 2 inch thick steel cable, walked 1500 feet across Niagara Falls and the Niagara . . . — Map (db m75177) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — The Great Cataract of Niagara An attraction even in wartime
Early European Visitors The Niagara River, with its mighty falls and rapids, was well known by Native Americans. Word of its majesty reached European explorers and soldiers who came to North America. Despite their mission, explorers and . . . — Map (db m72940) HM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — Town of Niagara Civil War Memorial
(panel 1) 10th New York Cavalry Lt. Edward S. Hawes killed at Upperville, Va. June 21, 1863 John Barr killed at Sulphur Springs, Va. Aug. 1862 Robert Burns wounded at Brandy Station, Va. Died Niag. Falls 1867 Sylvester Cesbrough . . . — Map (db m75180) WM
New York (Niagara County), Niagara Falls — World's First Hydroelectric Power Plant
This is the original arch entrance to the Adams Station, the world's first hydroelectric power plant. Electric power, its transmission in commercial quantities to remote distances, the design and building of the first large electrical equipment- all . . . — Map (db m74275) HM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — North Tonawanda The Home of the Civil War's Most Famous Army Scout Col. Lewis S. Payne
North Tonawanda The home of the Civil War's most famous army scout Col. Lewis S. Payne 1819-1898 In grateful remembrance Company D, "Eagle" regiment N.Y. Volunteers, "Reactivated" — Map (db m80190) WM
New York (Niagara County), North Tonawanda — Roll of Honor
North Tonawanda's Sons They gave their all in the World War. 1917-1917 —— [37 names] — Map (db m80194) WM
New York (Niagara County), Porter — British Forces Landed at Mouth of 4 Mile Creek
British forces under Brig. Gen John Prideaux and Sir William Johnson landed at mouth of 4 Mile Creek, July 6, 1759. Besieged Fort Niagara. — Map (db m79641) HM
New York (Niagara County), Ransomville — Fowler Sawmill
George P. Moore operated a sawmill on this site. It was converted to the G. Elgin Hubble Basket Factory in 1896, and burned in 1941. — Map (db m72287) HM
New York (Niagara County), Ransomville — Grain Mills
This was the site of Jackson's Mill. Foote's Mill operated on Academy Street. Both mills were critical to agri-business and the community and destroyed by fire. — Map (db m71862) HM
New York (Niagara County), Ransomville — Those Who Served in the World War
Erected in appreciation of those who served in the World War and in memory of these who did not come back. Corporal O. Leo Curtiss, CO. M, 7th Inf., 3rd Div. Killed in action at Chateau - Thierry, July 25, 1918. Private Albert . . . — Map (db m74779) WM
New York (Niagara County), Ransomville — Traveler's Home
Built in 1870, travelers from accross the country and State Troopers, while on duty in Ransomville, boarded here from 1913 through the 1920s. Home of Carlos Brookins, inventor. — Map (db m72713) HM
New York (Niagara County), Royalton — Belva Lockwood
[on post] First Woman to argue before the U S Supreme Court, 1879. Presidential candidate, 1884 and 1888, for the National Equal Rights party. George E. Pataki, Governor

[on stone] Near this spot stood the log cabin . . . — Map (db m75904) HM

New York (Niagara County), Royalton — Canal Bridge No. E-220
Slayton-Settlement Road. Originally Reynales Hwy. Built 1914 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 1992 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m72952) HM
New York (Niagara County), Somerset — Horsepower Working the Turn-of-the-Century Farm Culture of the Coast
The Working Farm. By 1900 mechanization has come to the farm. Equipment was available that made plowing, planting, and harvesting more productive. But, in the days before the gas engine, it was the horse that supplied the power to run the . . . — Map (db m79540) HM
New York (Niagara County), Somerset — Jacob Fitts
Jacob Fitts from Mansfield New Jersey articled land 1809, first settler 1810. Site of first log cabin between Ridge Rd and lake. — Map (db m82999) HM
New York (Niagara County), Somerset — Quaker Cemetary
Quaker Cemetary Society of Friends 1824. Denton & Haight gave lands. Stone wall added 1852. Brick meeting house - east. Torn down after 1900. — Map (db m82924) HM
New York (Niagara County), Wilson — Park and Harbor Streets
In the 1890's, Park Street was originally built as a land access to Lake Island Park from Harbor Street. Wilson Harbor was a resort area for people from all over Western New York (especially Buffalo, Rochester, and Niagara Falls) who would arrive by . . . — Map (db m74375) HM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — Betsy Doyle
Betsy Doyle Heroine of Fort Niagara carried hot shot to cannon, stood sentry duty, fled 310 miles to Greenbush, NY when enemy attacked fort in 1813. — Map (db m80543) HM WM
New York (Niagara County), Youngstown — St. John's Episcopal Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m80544) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Clay — Oak Orchard
Oak Orchard Sacred area for natives Haudenosaunee gathering, fishing and fording place. Site of massacre of Haudenosaunee people. — Map (db m83896) HM
New York (Orleans County), Medina — In Honor of Our Departed Comrades
In honor of our departed comrades in the World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m77921) WM
New York (Orleans County), Medina — John Ryan 1801-96 / Medina Sandstone
[facing west] John Ryan 1801-96 The first to establish a stone quarry business here in 1837 naming his product Medina Sandstone. (over) [facing east] Medina Sandstone Used for paving blocks, walks, curbs and in . . . — Map (db m77920) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Canton — Herring - Cole Hall
Herring - Cole Hall For its architectural and historic significance named to the National Register of Historic Places Department of Interior U.S.A. 1974 Herring 1869 - Cole 1902 — Map (db m79048) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Canton — The King Iron Bowstring Bridge
The King Iron Bowstring Bridge was designed by Zenas King and built in the 1870s. Before he founded the King Bridge Company in Cleveland, Ohio, Zenas King lived and worked in the Depeyster area of St. Lawrence County. One of a very few bowstring . . . — Map (db m88691) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Canton — Water Street and the Third Dam
In the late 1800s Nathaniel and Barzillai Hodskin operated a pocket furnace, foundry and machine shop on Water Street. SLCHA [St. Lawrence County Historical Association] The industries on Falls Island and along Water Street did not operate . . . — Map (db m88757) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Gouverneur — "Lest We Forget" Our Nation's Defenders 1805 ——1905
[north header] "Lest We Forget" [south header] Our Nation's Defenders [keystone]1805 ——1905 — Map (db m87878) WM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Massena — Dedicated to All Members of the U.S. Armed Forces
Dedicated to all members of the U.S. Armed Forces — Map (db m79308) WM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Massena — St. Lawrence River and Massena Historic New York
The St. Lawrence River from earliest times has provided a direct route for travel and transportation between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Lakes. After the Revolution much of the land in northern New York came into the hands of Alexander Macomb . . . — Map (db m79339) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Morristown — Stone Wind Mill
Stone Wind Mill Built 1825 at Morristown, New York by Hugh Mc Connell a miller from Scotland [stone at base of marker] This windmill property given to the village of Morristown, July 24, 1943, by Laura S. Chapman and Charles S. Chapman, N.A., . . . — Map (db m88803) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Norwood — Pulpwood Grinding Wheel
Pulpwood Grinding Wheel from the old Norwood Paper Mill dismantled in 1932 — Map (db m79506) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Pierrepont — Cox's Mill
Town of Pierrepont Cox's Mill Sandstone house built by Gardner Cox, founder of "Cox's Mill" The sawmill was built on the west side of river in 1819. — Map (db m79022) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Potsdam — First Presbyterian Church of Dailey Ridge
First Presbyterian Church of Dailey Ridge 1853 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m88660) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Potsdam — James McCormick 1840-1921
Veteran of the Civil War, 1861-1864, Sixtieth Regiment, New York State Volunteers. Wheelwright, Carriage and Wagon Manufacturer, 1865-1900. Shop on Fall Island, Potsdam, New York Inventor of Vehicle-Spring. Patented-1887. Canoe . . . — Map (db m78800) HM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Potsdam — They Live with Us in Grateful Memory of their Sacrifice
[center stone] They live with us in grateful memory of their sacrifice *World War I* [14 names listed] *World War II* [43 names listed] The citizens of the village and town of Potsdam erect this lasting symbol of our . . . — Map (db m78980) WM
New York (Saint Lawrence County), Waddington — Waddington Town Hall
Waddington Town Hall Built by Isaac Johnson - 1884 Rededication - 1996 [Four town officials and four council persons listed] [separate plaque] This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United . . . — Map (db m79399) HM
New York (Wayne County), Sodus Point — Site of 1825 Keeper's Dwelling House
On May 26, 1824 an act of Congress approved appropriation of $4,500 to construct a light tower and keeper's house at Sodus Bay. On November 20, 1824 three acres of land were purchased from William Wickham for the sum of $68.75 and construction . . . — Map (db m79629) HM
New York (Wayne County), Wolcott — Wolcott Falls
Wolcott Falls Called by Indians "Ganadasgua", Leaping Waters Above the Lake. Site of Melvin's Mills established 1809 — Map (db m79679) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — CCC Statue
This statue is dedicated to the more than 3,000 men who served in four Civilian Conservation Corps camps in Letchworth State Park between 1933 and 1941. They joined more than three million others nationwide during the "Great Depression" in an . . . — Map (db m75933) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — In Grateful Memory of William Pryor Letchworth 1823 - 1910 Humanitarian - Conservationist
Donor of Glen Iris and his estate comprising of the original 1,000 acres of this park, including Upper, Middle and Lower Falls, so that this gorge might remain a place of inspiration and beauty forever, Erected in 1957 by the Genesee State Park . . . — Map (db m76125) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — The Council Grounds Ca. 1907...and Under Restoration
Letchworth's purchase and relocation of the Seneca Council House to the Council Grounds in 1871 inaugurated several decades of his collecting Native American Material. Over the years, the Council Grounds became a showcase for these collections. In . . . — Map (db m76097) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — Welcome to Letchworth State Park
Here, nature, history, and adventure intertwine to create a fascinating piece place like no other. The park was founded by philanthropist William Pryor Letchworth in 1907, when he donated his 1,000 acre estate to become a park. Today the park, which . . . — Map (db m76342) HM
New York (Wyoming County), Genesee Falls — William Pryor Letchworth 1823 - 1910
Inspiration Point is rich in history and natural splendor. The spectacular view was once enjoyed by the Seneca Indians and by Mary Jemison, the White Woman of the Genesee.

Upon arrival of the pioneers in the early 1800's, the falls and forests . . . — Map (db m76114) HM

New York (Wyoming County), Sheldon — Turner's Corners
Turner's Corners Pioneer outpost 1804 on Indian trail from Portage to Lake Erie — Map (db m76315) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), West Mifflin — George Was Here
At the bottom of the cliff on which Kennywood sits, the largest British army assembled up until then in the American colonies... with flags flying and drums beating... forded the Monongahela on July 9, 1755. The battle that followed directly across . . . — Map (db m76674) HM
Pennsylvania (Chester County), East Marlborough — Pierre S. du Pont, Fountain Visionary
Inspired by the success of the Italian Water Garden and Open Air Theatre fountains, Pierre S. du Pont unveiled the Main Fountain Garden in 1931. The goal was to rival the fountains he had seen in Europe and at the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in . . . — Map (db m87214) HM
Pennsylvania (Fayette County), Dunbar — Connellsville Coke Fueling the steel mills
Coal was mined in this region and transformed into coke in beehive ovens. Almost pure carbon, coke burns hotter than coal and was crucial to the success of Pittsburgh's steel making.

One of the largest coking complexes was Adelaide, founded by . . . — Map (db m76723) HM

Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County), Ligonier — Idlewild Park Depot / Smallest Train Station 125 Years 1878-2002
[on depot] Idlewild Park was a regular stop on the Ligonier Valley Railroad, which connected with the P.R.R.'s main line at Latrobe from 1878 to 1952. This was the depot. It had a waiting room, ticket agent room, freight express room. "Ripley" . . . — Map (db m77025) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Burlington — Quadricentennial Celebration Burlington's International Waterfront Festival
During July 2009, the City of Burlington staged a 13-day International Waterfront Festival to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Samuel de Champlain's bold expedition into the lake that today bears his name. The festival included artists, diplomats, . . . — Map (db m91614) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Colchester — Colchester Log Schoolhouse
In 1810, Vermont State Law required towns to raise a minimum of 1 cent on the dollar in property taxes for support of town schools. The one room schoolhouse before you was built between 1815 and 1827 to serve students on the area once known as South . . . — Map (db m88739) HM
Vermont (Chittenden County), Essex Junction — There's Only One Essex Junction
There is Only One Essex Junction What's in a Name? This village was originally known as Hubbel's Falls after an early settler who built a mill in Essex on the Winooski River. During the autumn of 1849 the Vermont Central's owner, . . . — Map (db m92207) HM

1338 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1138
Paid Advertisement