Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

508 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 308
 
Taylor’s Tavern Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brandon D Cross, February 25, 2015
Taylor’s Tavern Marker
Egypt, Luxor Governate, Luxor — The Two Obelisques Of Queen Hatshepsut
These two obelisques were erected by Hatshepsut in the Hypostyle Hall of her father Tuthmosis I. They were both cut out of red granite quarries at Aswan. According to the text which is covering the obelisques the whole job took 7 months. — Map (db m106725) HM
Jordan, Ma'an Governorate, Ma'an — Al-Khazna (Pharaoh's Treasury)
It is the most perfect facade in Petra. It is situated at the end of the Siq, with a height of 39.50m. The lower level is decorated with six Corinthian capitals that are spanned by a frieze of griffins and vases among scrolls. A vegetation goddess . . . — Map (db m106671) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Archer — F-320 — David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation
Side 1 David Levy Yulee was born at St. Thomas, West Indies, in 1810. He attended school in Virginia from 1819 until 1827 when he went to Micanopy to work on one of the plantations of his father, Moses Elias Levy. He studied law and was . . . — Map (db m97513) HM
Florida (Alachua County), Gainesville — Matheson House
Side 1: The Matheson homestead dates from 1857, when Alexander Matheson brought his family from Camden, South Carolina to establish a home on the Sweetwater Branch at the eastern edge of the new town of Gainesville. The present one and a . . . — Map (db m97622) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Floral City — F-875 — Historic Floral City
(Side 1) The area containing present day Floral City has been inhabited by humans for thousands of years. When Hernando De Soto came through the area in 1539, he found the Indian village of Tocaste. From the late 1700s until the Second . . . — Map (db m104967) HM
Florida (Citrus County), Floral City — The Historic Duval HouseConstructed 1865-66
This house is the oldest surviving residential structure in Citrus County. It was purchased in 2012 by the Duval Preservation Trust, a non-profit institution organized for the purpose of restoration and preservation of this historic gem. Tax . . . — Map (db m104980) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-874 — Camp Chowenwaw
Created in 1932, Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw) derived its name from the Creek word for “sister.” Prominent Jacksonville resident Nancy Osborne, with support from local organizations such as the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, led the effort . . . — Map (db m102456) HM
Florida (Clay County), Green Cove Springs — F-783 — Hickory Grove Baptist Church and Cemetery
Hickory Grove Baptist Church was organized in 1863, and the church’s congregation first worshiped here in one of the earliest buildings constructed in Clay County. The church was named for a grove of hickory trees that grew here. The original . . . — Map (db m102455) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-58 — Fort Heilman
Fort Heilman, named after Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Julius F. Heilman, was built in the mid 1830´s at the spot where the north and south forks of Black Creek join. It was a temporary wooden stockade used during the First Seminole War as a . . . — Map (db m102605) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-840 — General Roy Stanley Geiger,United States Marine Corps
Roy Stanley Geiger, the “Father of Marine Corps Aviation,” was born on January 25, 1885, in his family home on what is now the campus of Middleburg First Baptist Church. He served as a school teacher, principal, and lawyer. Geiger joined . . . — Map (db m102461) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-329 — Middleburg
Middleburg developed in the early 1800s as a transportation center linking the St. Johns River with the peninsular interior. Originally settled in the 1820s as Clark´s Ferry, a crossing on Black Creek, it became a major military entrepot during the . . . — Map (db m102459) HM
Florida (Clay County), Middleburg — F-310 — Middleburg Methodist Church
Founded on or before July 27, 1828 by Isaac Boring, a Methodist Circuit Riding Preacher. First known as The Black Creek Methodist Church. This frontier Methodist society met in homes until the present church was built in 1847. In continuous use . . . — Map (db m102460) HM
Florida (Clay County), Orange Park — F-798 — Orange Park
Orange Park was the site of a cotton and citrus British plantation, Laurel Grove, which was established by William and Rebecca Pengree during Florida’s British Period (1763-1783). Following the American Revolution, Florida was returned to . . . — Map (db m102603) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Flagler Beach — Bulow Sugar Mill
This was the largest sugar mill in Florida. It was operated by Charles William Bulow and John Joachim Bulow from 1820 until it was burned by the Seminoles in 1836. Sugar cane was planted in January and February and was ready for harvesting by . . . — Map (db m100525) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Flagler Beach — Gamble RogersFlorida Troubadour — Beloved Guitarist, Storyteller, Gentleman —
He delighted audiences all across the country with his Southern Gothic tall tales and intricate guitar style, and through his example, inspired high aspirations, personal dignity, and respect for Florida and humanity. Drowned off this beach . . . — Map (db m106690) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Flagler Beach — Veterans Memorial ParkFlagler Beach
In Honor Of Veterans Of All Wars — Map (db m105486) WM
Florida (Flagler County), Marineland — F-927 — Marineland-The World’s First Oceanarium
Born from the partnership of W. Douglas Burden, C.V. Whitney, and Count Ilia Tolstoy, Marine Studios opened in 1938. The attraction was designed for filmmakers to shoot underwater footage and give visitors an opportunity to see marine life live and . . . — Map (db m104834) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — “All Gave Some, Some Gave All”
My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my Country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. — Map (db m105425) WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — City of Palm Coast Military Memorial
Army • Navy • Marines • Air Force Coast Guard City Of Palm Coast Military Memorial In honor of the following local heroes, who made the ultimate sacrifice, whose dedication and courage will never be forgotten USAF MSGT. . . . — Map (db m105381) WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — City of Palm Coast September 11 Memorial
On September 11, 2001, four hijacked commercial air liners were deliberately crashed into the World Trade Center in New York, the Pentagon in Washington, DC and a field in rural Pennsylvania in what would come to be realized as the most devastating . . . — Map (db m105384) HM WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — Invisible Wounds Memorial
Dedicated to those brave hearted men and women who have honorably served this great nation and have suffered and continue to battle the “Invisible Wounds Of PTSD/TBI.” “Let their service and sacrifice never be . . . — Map (db m105431) WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-898 — Levitt & I.T.T. 'De Bary' Model
Levitt & International Telephone & Telegraph Corp. (ITT) developed 22,000 acres in Flagler County as part of the Palm Coast Project. Their goal was to construct the largest planned community in the nation. Full of scenic drives, golf courses, and a . . . — Map (db m100406) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-529 — Mala Compra Plantation Historic Site
Joseph Martin Hernandez (1788-1857) purchased and worked Mala Compra Plantation, originally a Spanish land grant, from 1816 to 1836. The name Mala Compra means “bad bargain” or “bad purchase” in Spanish. It served as the . . . — Map (db m99955) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — Memorial Tree
The Philippine American Association of Palm Coast, Flagler County, Florida, wholeheartedly dedicated this Memorial Tree in honor of the Fallen Heroes of the Philippines and United States of America who fought as allies during World War II. . . . — Map (db m105408) WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-530 — Princess Place Estate
In 1791, the King of Spain offered a 1,100-acre land grant to Francisco Pellicer. Henry Mason Cutting purchased the property in 1886, renaming it Cherokee Grove. Featuring local materials including tabby block cladding, cedar and palm tree trunk . . . — Map (db m101222) HM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — Tree of Remembrance
This magnolia tree is dedicated to the memory of those military members that have gone missing in action or were listed as prisoners of war. These personnel were from any service in active combat units serving in any war or hostile action . . . — Map (db m105427) WM
Florida (Flagler County), Palm Coast — F-124 — Washington Oaks Gardens
Part of a Spanish Land grant to Bautista Don Juan Ferreira in 1815. Developed as a plantation by General Joseph Hernandez, an early Florida planter. George Washington, related to our first president, married Hernandez' daughter, Louisa, in 1844. . . . — Map (db m101645) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg
(side 1) Former Town of Fogartyville This marker stands on the eastern boundary of Fogartyville, a town founded on land acquired under the Homestead Act after the War Between the States by Fogarty bros., Capt. Bartholomew (Tole), . . . — Map (db m100901) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The 1887 Church
Construction of this historic church was started in 1887. Completion was delayed until 1889 due to a yellow fever epidemic which claimed the lives of the pastor and many members of the congregation. Used to house the first Christian congregation . . . — Map (db m43102) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Bunker Hill School
Throughout America, the one-room schoolhouse was a fixture and the educational mainstay for many years. This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1908 to serve the community of Bunker Hill, which is located in the northeast corner of Manatee . . . — Map (db m43108) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Florida Cracker Trail
This point is the western terminus of the Florida Cracker Trail designated by the Florida State Legislature in 1987. The Cracker Trail follows an east/west route across the State of Florida that has existed since approximately 1850. This trail was . . . — Map (db m43076) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Fogarty Boat Works
In 1866, three brothers, John, Bartholomew, and Bill Fogarty, settled in Manatee County and established a ship building and coastal trading schooner base on the shore of the Manatee River. In the years before automobiles and railroads, Manatee . . . — Map (db m43104) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Stephens House
A prime example of the “Cracker Gothic” style, this home was built in 1912 by the Will Stephens family. It is an excellent representation of a Florida rural frame house during the period between the 1870's and World War I. This third . . . — Map (db m43106) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Wiggins Store
Restored on the original building site, the Wiggins Store was built by King Wiggins in 1903. The fact that it was one of the areas first brick buildings is significant because, prior to the arrival of the railroad, brick could only be brought in by . . . — Map (db m43107) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — William Bassett Chapter
The Manatee Village Historical Park was created as a gift to the people of Manatee County by the Historical Commission and the HOME Committee in remembrance of our Nation's Two Hundredth Birthday in the year 1976. Two historical buildings, Manatee . . . — Map (db m43100) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Ellenton — F-218 — Gamble Sugar Cane Mill
In 1842, as the Second Seminole War drew to a conclusion, Major Robert Gamble, Jr. established a sugar cane plantation along the banks of the Manatee River, as did others including Hector and Joseph Braden, William Craig and William Wyatt. By 1850 . . . — Map (db m67098) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Crescent City — Florida's First Bicentennial Park
Dedicated August 25, 1973 in honor of Thomas A. Dexter Crescent City Commission Bobby L. Wiltcher-Mayor Commissioners Jimmy Miller Dudley Sargent Jack Deacon Jerry Ellis — Map (db m102426) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — F-678 — Melrose Cemetery
Formerly known as the "Banana burying grounds," the Melrose non-denominational cemetery was established in 1860 by the Eliam Baptist Church, founded in 1859. The farming community of Banana consisted of small farms, a post office / general store and . . . — Map (db m101755) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — F-894 — Melrose High School
Established to educate children of west Putnam County and surrounding communities, Melrose High School began in 1882 as a wooden building on Wynwood Street. In 1927, the school moved to this location when Putnam County constructed a new wooden . . . — Map (db m101754) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — Melrose Veterans Memorial
In Memory And Honor Of All Those Who Served The United States Of America In Times Of War And Peace — Map (db m108430) WM
Florida (Putnam County), Melrose — F-272 — Melrose Woman's Club
Since its beginning as the Literary and Debating Society in 1890, the Melrose Woman's Club has been a major contributor to community development. The formation of the Improvement Society for Melrose in 1891 was one of its first accomplishments. The . . . — Map (db m101760) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Basil C. Pearce Jr. USS Tang Memorial
First marker: Basil C. Pearce, Jr. USS Tang Memorial Dedicated by Richard H. O'Kane, Skipper August 17, 1943 - October 25, 1944 Elton Brubaker, USS Flier (SS250) Aug. 13, 1944 Constructed by Basil Pearce Chapter U.S. . . . — Map (db m77715) HM WM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — Battle At Horse Landing
At this site, on May 23rd, 1864, Captain John Jackson Dickison, with men from the 2nd Florida Cavalry and a battery from the Milton Light Artillery, disabled and captured the Federal gunboat, Columbine. At the time, Union forces controlled the land . . . — Map (db m101762) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-123 — Cross Florida Barge Canal Memorial
President Lyndon B. Johnson Dedicated the Start of Construction of the 185-Mile Long Canal at this Site on February 27, 1964 — Map (db m101763) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-51 — Fort Shannon
Established in May, 1838, this fort was one of the major quartermaster depots in Florida during the Second Seminole War. It operated under Gen. William J. Worth until he assumed command of the armies in Florida. Military facilities included a . . . — Map (db m94991) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — F-84 — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Episcopal services in Palatka were first conducted in 1846 by the Rev. John F. Young, later Bishop of Florida (18767-1885). The parish was organized in 1853, and the church completed in 1854. During the Civil War, St. Mark's was used as a . . . — Map (db m77732) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Welaka — F-411 — The Mount Royal Site
Mount Royal has been a favored location for people to live for thousands of years. Archaeological sites include a Native American burial mound, earthworks, village area, and evidence of a British plantation, as well as the remains of a Spanish . . . — Map (db m60469) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), Elkton — F-512 — St. Ambrose Parish
The intact buildings and grounds of St. Ambrose Parish reflect the commitment of the Roman Catholic Church to reach small rural communities in Florida. Catholic Mass was first celebrated with settlers in a barn here at Moccasin Branch in the early . . . — Map (db m101631) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 102 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
This area in the heart of Lincolnville was associated with black education for nearly a century. This lot was the site of the Presbyterian Parochial and Industrial School, headed by Rev. James H. Cooper. It was demolished in 1940 and the grounds . . . — Map (db m40701) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 1074 West King StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This was the home of Mrs. Georgie Mae Reed (1926-1995), who took part in one of the most famous events in the civil rights movement that changed America and inspired the world. On March 31, 1964, Mrs. Reed was one of five St. Augustine women who . . . — Map (db m65420) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 111 Lincoln StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Constructed before 1885, this is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Lincolnville, an historic neighborhood founded by freed slaves after the Civil War. It was home to two generations of the Moran family. Horace Moran was the chef at the . . . — Map (db m21194) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 112 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built between 1904 and 1910 on what was then called Central Avenue. The name was changed in 1986. There are many streets in America named to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but this one is special because he actually walked on it . . . — Map (db m17915) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 120 DeHaven StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built in the 1920s and purchased a decade later by Jutson Ayers, who worked as an alligator wrestler for a quarter of a century at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm before his death in 1958. His widow, Mrs. Rena Ayers, gave important . . . — Map (db m17914) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 156 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
The house at 156 Central Avenue was built in the 1950's for Mrs. Janie Price, a nurse at Flagler Hospital. She had taken her nurse's training at Grady Hospital in Atlanta in the 1940s and while there had attended dances with students from Morehouse . . . — Map (db m7627) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 160 M.L. King AvenueACCORD Freedom Trail
The southern half of Lincolnville was, in colonial times, a plantation called "Buena Esperanza" (Spanish for "Good Hope"). During the Flagler Era of the 1880s, it was bought by Standard Oil millionaire William Warden and developed as a residential . . . — Map (db m40699) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 31 King StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The Ponce de Leon Shopping Center opened in 1955 as the first downtown shopping center in St. Augustine. It was designated by Morris Lapidus (1902-2001), Florida's most famous mid-twentieth century architect, and is the only example of his work in . . . — Map (db m7696) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 33 Bernard StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
Bernard Street is one of three historically black residential streets in the North City area, dating back to the Flagler Era. At the west end of the street were a lumber yard, steam laundry, and ice plant that provided employment. Other residents . . . — Map (db m17913) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 64 Washington StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
64 Washington Street was the Florida State Headquarters of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) during and after the civil rights demonstrations of 1964. SCLC was founded in 1957 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. after the successful . . . — Map (db m7607) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 21 — 76 Washington StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The St. Augustine office of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was located in this building from the 1970's until the early 1990's. The organization's roots in the Ancient City began much earlier. William English . . . — Map (db m21181) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — 84 St. Benedict StreetACCORD Freedom Trail
The narrow streets and small building lots of this area mark it as the earliest part of Lincolnville, founded by freed slaves after the Civil War and now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. An earlier house that stood on this site . . . — Map (db m102339) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — A Microcosm of Urban Archaeology in Downtown St. Augustine, Florida
Introduction St. Augustine's colonial downtown district exists as the most enduring location of European origin in the United States, having been settled since 1572. A diverse array of archaeological resources, the result of 400+ years of . . . — Map (db m102336) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Acosta HouseReconstructed 1976
Built between 1803 and 1812 by Jorge Acosta (c.1764-1812), a native of Corsica, and husband of Margarita Villalonga, born in St. Augustine of Minorcan parents. — Map (db m102394) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-526 — Black Catholic Heritage
This block of property owned by the Catholic Church contains three historic buildings that embody an important part of African American heritage of St. Augustine. It was part of Yallaha orange grove plantation before the Civil War and was . . . — Map (db m102735) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Cofradia Site Coquina Wellca. 1614-1657
The 1990 excavation of this coquina block well revealed furniture fragments from the 1600s, a rarity among St. Augustine's artifacts. Most likely, the well was built in the early 1600s and filled quickly about 1670 with household items from a . . . — Map (db m93269) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-595 — Evergreen Cemetery
Established in 1886 outside the city limits when St. Augustine closed its small urban graveyards due to overcrowding. Evergreen became the region's largest Protestant cemetery of the late 1800s and early 1900s. The design was strongly influenced by . . . — Map (db m73842) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Father Miguel O'Reilly HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1690-1763
A tabby interior wall provides evidence that a portion of this building remains from the First Spanish Period before coquina stone construction took its place. Tabby was a form of construction that produced a cement slurry with an aggregate of . . . — Map (db m107452) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Fernandez-Llambias House
This house was already extant in 1763, when Spain ceded Florida to Great Britain. It was then a one-story, two-room, shingle-roofed coquina stone structure owned by Pedro Fernandez. A British owner added the loggia. In 1784, when the Spanish . . . — Map (db m77290) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — First Baptist Church of St. Augustine89 St. Francis Street — "Lincolnville" —
Established in 1872 through the efforts of Mrs. Hannah Jordan, a devoutly Christian sojourner who, like its first pastor, Rev. Father C. Felder, believed in leading by the example of hard work. The church has flourished at this location—since . . . — Map (db m77291) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-353 — Lincolnville Historic District
Once the site of Indian Villages, colonial plantations and orange groves, Lincolnville began as a settlement of emancipated slaves in 1866. African-Americans, who trace their origins to the City's 16th century founding, played an integral role in . . . — Map (db m102736) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Llambias HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1763, enlarged by 1788
This building is significant for its Spanish and British Colonial architectural influences and in 1954 became one of the first examples of a private residence to undergo a documented restoration. Characteristics of the "St. Augustine Plan" of . . . — Map (db m108073) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-434 — Major Dade and His Command Monuments
On December 28, 1835, during the Second Seminole War, a column of 108 U.S. Army soldiers dispatched from Fort Brooke (Tampa) to relieve the detachment at Fort King (Ocala) was surprised by a strong force of Seminole Indians near Bushnell in Sumter . . . — Map (db m77413) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Oliveros House
Built c. 1798 by Sebastian Oliveros, a Corsican mariner and trader. This historic house was reconstructed by L.C. Ringhaver in 1965. — Map (db m102362) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Peña-Peck HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built ca. 1750
Three major phases of town growth are depicted in this house. The first phase is represented in the first floor's L-shaped plan of coquina during the First Spanish Period, the second is an eastern wing built in the British Period, and the final is . . . — Map (db m102382) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Reverend Goldie M. Eubanks(Anointed Leader) — 172 Palmo Street, Lincolnville —
Home of Rev. Goldie M. Eubanks, Senior, his wife Hattie and nine children. Humbled by Family and Fatherhood, Leadership and Christian Fellowship, and driven by a cry from within his inner soul to make this world a better place, this self-styled . . . — Map (db m7080) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Rodriguez-Avero-Sanchez House(An Original House)
Fernando Rodriguez, sergeant in the Spanish Army at the Castillo de San Marcos Fort, built his house on this site during the first Spanish occupation (1565-1763). In 1760, he commissioned Juan Perez, Master Builder, to add the northeast coquina room . . . — Map (db m102365) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Rodriquez-Avero-Sanchez HouseFirst Spanish Colonial Period, Built prior to 1761
This house is a significant example of the evolution of Spanish Colonial dwelling which began as a small, wooden, single-room Spanish domicile. An expanded ground floor built with coquina stone and a second wood floor with dormers was added prior to . . . — Map (db m102366) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Sanchez-Burt HouseSecond Spanish Colonial Period, Built 1816-1829
Historic records indicate that in 1816 a wooden structure occupied this property and by 1829 it was replaced with this prominent two-story coquina stone structure. Concerted efforts to preserve this structure began during the preservation movement . . . — Map (db m102380) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church271 W. King Street — New Augustine —
This spiritual and civic citadel was established in 1929 with Rev. R.H. Whittaker as spiritual leader, and Chairman of the Board of Deacons, D.P. Mims. This church, the gateway to New Augustine, experienced phenomenal growth under the inspired . . . — Map (db m77284) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-804 — Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory
The Solla-Carcaba Cigar Factory, completed in 1909, is the last remnant in St. Augustine of the cigar industry, whose local origins date to the 1830s. Political unrest drove many Cuban cigar makers to Florida after 1868. Their numbers in St. . . . — Map (db m77391) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Mary's Missionary Baptist69 Washington Street — "Lincolnville" —
This church was founded on May 25, 1875, and led by the inspiring Reverend Ivory Barnes, its first minister. The present edifice, occupied beginning in 1937, has held high the banner of Christ. Inspired in its earliest days by the spirit of The . . . — Map (db m77285) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Paul A.M.E. Church85 Central Ave. — Lincolnville —
“According to HIS Divine Light. To Each Of Us, God Has Given A Talent; Some to Lead, Some to Follow, Some to Build!” In January 1904, plans were made to build the present church. Rev. E.F. Williams is remembered as architect and . . . — Map (db m73912) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-826 — The 1886 Old Drugstore
Before the construction of this two-story wood frame structure in 1886, this site marked the intersection of the Cubo and Rosario lines, earthen embankments that fortified colonial St. Augustine during the late 18th century. Tolomato Indians . . . — Map (db m90513) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — The Salcedo House(Former Home of Jorge Biassou)
Here on this site, 42 St. George Street, stood the home of the nation's first Black general, Jorge Biassou, who came to St. Augustine from his native St. Domingue (today the nation of Haiti) in 1796 as an officer of the Spanish militia. General . . . — Map (db m70979) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Treasury/Dr. Peck Houseca. 1750
Recognized as an Original Colonial Structure by the City of St. Augustine — Map (db m102385) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — F-373 — Villa Zorayda(Zorayda Castle)
The Villa Zorayda was constructed in 1883 as the winter home of Franklin Smith, a Boston millionaire who was so impressed by the magnificence of the Alhambra Palace which he saw during a visit to Granada, Spain, that he decided to build his house as . . . — Map (db m102737) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine — Villalonga HouseReconstructed - 1976
Home of Bartolome Villalonga (1789-1825), son of Juan Villalonga of Minorca, and husband of Maria Acosta, of Corsican Greek parentage, erected between 1815 and 1820. — Map (db m102378) HM
Florida (St. Johns County), St. Augustine Beach — Veterans Memorial
For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know Dedicated to all of the United States Armed Forces November 11, 2009 — Map (db m104859) WM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — "Historic Jim Crow Section"Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
Jim Crow was not the name of a person, yet the name "Jim Crow" affected the lives of millions of people. From the 1880’s into the 1960's, a majority of American states enforced segregation through Jim Crow laws (so called after a black character in . . . — Map (db m105863) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 39th Running Daytona 5001997 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
1997 Daytona 500 Champion Jeff Gordon #24 — Map (db m108448) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 40th Running Daytona 5001998 — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
Daytona 500 Champion Dale Earnhardt #3 — Map (db m108445) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 42nd Running Daytona 5002000 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2000 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Jarrett #88 — Map (db m108434) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 43rd Running Daytona 5002001 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2001 Daytona 500 Champion Michael Waltrip #15 — Map (db m108433) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 44th Running Daytona 5002002 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2002 Daytona 500 Champion Ward Burton #22 — Map (db m108450) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 45th Running Daytona 5002003 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2003 Daytona 500 Champion Michael Waltrip #15 — Map (db m108449) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 46th Running Daytona 5002004 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2004 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Earnhardt Jr #8 — Map (db m108447) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 48th Running Daytona 5002006 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2006 Daytona 500 Champion Jimmie Johnson #48 — Map (db m108444) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 49th Running Daytona 5002007 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2007 Daytona 500 Champion Kevin Harvick #29 — Map (db m108443) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 50th Running Daytona 5002008 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2008 Daytona 500 Champion Ryan Newman #12 — Map (db m108442) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 51st Running Daytona 5002009 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2009 Daytona 500 Champion Matt Kenseth #17 — Map (db m108441) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 53rd Running Daytona 5002011 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2011 Daytona 500 Champion Trevor Bayne #21 — Map (db m108439) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 54th Running Daytona 5002012 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2012 Daytona 500 Champion Matt Kenseth #17 — Map (db m108438) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 55th Running Daytona 5002013 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2013 Daytona 500 Champion Jimmie Johnson #48 — Map (db m108437) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 56th Running Daytona 5002014 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2014 Daytona 500 Champion Dale Earnhardt Jr. #88 — Map (db m108436) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 57th Running Daytona 5002015 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2015 Daytona 500 Champion Joey Lagano #22 — Map (db m108435) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 58th Running Daytona 5002016 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2016 Daytona 500 Champion Denny Hamlin #11 — Map (db m108432) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — 59th Running Daytona 5002017 Champion — Daytona International Speedway Walk Of Fame —
2017 Daytona 500 Champion Kurt Busch #41 — Map (db m108431) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Althea GibsonBarrier Breaker — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —

Althea Gibson overcame unbelievable odds to achieve international acclaim and success. Her journey from the violent streets of Harlem to the royal courts of Wimbledon reveals strength of character and her remarkable composure in the face of . . . — Map (db m105789) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Betty Jane FranceNASCAR Matriarch and Philanthropist
Dedicated to a champion of Women's and Children's Health As the founder of our state-of-the-art children's center, Speediatrics, we are proud to honor and pay tribute to an icon of our community Betty Jane France. This statue assures . . . — Map (db m107397) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Confederate Memorial1861        1961
Given in loving memory of our Confederate dead by the Southern citizens of Daytona Beach Sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Chapter 1955Map (db m46876) WM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Confederate Veterans
(first plaque) In honor of each Confederate Veteran, known and unknown, buried in East Volusia County Jasper J. Allman • Jesse Bennett • Simmons Bennett • Z. H. Bennett • Jackson D. Brooke • Rufus D. Brooke • Wm. W. Carter • . . . — Map (db m46909) WM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Dale EarnhardtNASCAR Champion — Daytona International Speedway —
Dale Earnhardt All Time Victory Leader At Daytona 34 Wins — Map (db m106980) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — E. Glenn “Fireball” RobertsJanuary 20, 1929 July 2, 1964
He brought to stock car racing a freshness, distinction, a championship quality that surpassed the rewards collected by the checkered flag. Florida Sportswriters’ Award for the most outstanding athlete, 1958 Voted NASCAR's Most Popular . . . — Map (db m107367) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jack Roosevelt “Jackie” Robinson
This statue was dedicated September 15, 1990 by Rachel Robinson Formally known as City Island Ball Park, this is the site of the first racially integrated spring training game which was played on March 17, 1946 between the Brooklyn Dodgers and . . . — Map (db m105716) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie RobinsonBarrier Breaker — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
Jack Roosevelt Robinson was the first African-American to break the modern day Major League Baseball color barrier. His extraordinary baseball skills, appealing personality, intelligence and courage, contributed to make this significant . . . — Map (db m105750) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie Robinson Ballpark
Site of the first racially integrated professional baseball game in modern history March 17, 1946 Jackie Roosevelt Robinson, a member of the International League’s Montreal Royals, integrated professional baseball by playing in a spring . . . — Map (db m105744) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum
May 7, 1938 Pasadena Junior College Jackie Robinson established a National Junior College record in long jump with a jump of 25 Feet 6½ inches — Map (db m105871) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Mary McLeod Bethune — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
Just as carefully as Branch Rickey chose Jackie Robinson, he chose Daytona Beach as the site for his "noble experiment.” Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, founder of Bethune-Cookman College was born July 10, 1875, in Maysville, South Carolina. She was . . . — Map (db m106464) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Rachel Robinson — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
Rachel Isum and Jack Roosevelt Robinson met in 1941, when she was a freshman-nursing student and he a senior and star athlete at the University of California, Los Angeles. They became engaged as Jackie went into the Army as a private and left as a . . . — Map (db m106202) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Roberto ClementeBarrier Breaker — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
Roberto Clemente Walker Was One Of The Greatest Baseball Players Ever To Play Right Field. His Pride And Humanitarianism Won Him Universal Admiration. Despite An Unorthodox Batting Style, The Pirates’ Great Won Four Batting Crowns And Amassed 3,000 . . . — Map (db m105773) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Shirley ChisholmBarrier Breaker — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
In 1968, Shirley Anita Chisholm, known as “Fighting Shirley Chisholm”, a former educator and member of the New York State Assembly, became the first black woman to be elected to the U.S. Congress. Known for her incisive debating style . . . — Map (db m105812) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — F-289 — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
The Florida frontier remained relatively empty until after the Civil War. During the late 1860's, both northerners and native southerners perceived great potential in Florida. Among the places they settled was Tomoka, which became Daytona in 1871. . . . — Map (db m34697) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of our great country who helped preserve us a free nation — Map (db m106539) WM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Veterans MemorialDaytona Memorial Park
Dedicated To Those Who Served Our Country United States Air Force Robert B. Dorsey · Francis J. Bousquet · Sal J. Devincenzo · Robert C. Kellerman · John J. Adazzio · James F. Bailey · Michael L. Myerson · Kenneth H. Wilson · William F. . . . — Map (db m107425) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Wendell Smith And Billy RoweCrusading Journalists — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
Wendell Smith, (Sports Columnist) And Billy Rowe, (Photographer) Worked For The Pittsburgh Courier, Once The Country’s Most Widely Circulated Black Newspapers With A National Circulation Of Almost 200,000. The Courier Sought To Empower African . . . — Map (db m106505) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — William H. G. France & Anne Bledsoe France
A Tribute to the Founders of NASCAR and the Builders of Daytona International Speedway. — Map (db m106813) HM
Florida (Volusia County), Daytona Beach — Willie O’ReeBarrier Breaker — Jackie Robinson Ballpark & Museum —
January 18, 1958, a strong, diligent athlete by the name of Willie O’Ree broke the color barrier in the National Hockey League. Playing with the Boston Bruins in Montreal, against the Canadians. Often referred to as the “Jackie Robinson of . . . — Map (db m106466) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — DeLand Municipal AirportSidney H. Taylor Field
Named In Honor Of Sidney H. Taylor, Attorney, For His Leadership In Retaining The Seat Of Volusia County Government At DeLand. — Map (db m106736) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — DeLand Naval Air Station Museum
. . . — Map (db m106557) HM WM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-5 — Battles of Dunlap Farm
On July 30, 1864, Gen. Stoneman with 2,500 cavalry crossed Walnut Creek & placed his cannon on a ridge on the Dunlap farm. He attacked Macon to capture the gold in the Confederate Depository; to destroy the Armory, Arsenal & Laboratories, the . . . — Map (db m98661) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Civil War Era Maconites of African AncestryLocation of Ellen Smith Craft's Dwelling behind Home of Dr. Robert & Eliza Smith Collins
In 1860 the population of Bibb County was 16,289. The 6,790 slaves and free persons of color were the backbone of “King Cotton.” There were at least three slave depots (markets) on Poplar Street. Many slaves and freedman worked as . . . — Map (db m99469) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — R10 — Macon City HallGeorgia's Temporary Capitol Building — Wilson's Raid Heritage Trail —
The building that houses Macon’s City Hall was constructed in 1837 as headquarters for the Monroe Railroad and Banking Company. In 1845, the Greek Revival temple-style building was converted into Macon’s first “fire-proof” cotton . . . — Map (db m99439) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Rose Hill Cemetery"Recollection in a bouquet of yesterday"
Rose Hill Cemetery opened in May of 1840, twenty one years before the first casualties of the Civil War. Seven Macon soldiers were killed in the battle at Pensacola, Fl., in the first year of the war 1861. Four were brought to Macon and buried in . . . — Map (db m99507) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — The Battle of Dunlap Hill-Stoneman's RaidOcmulgee National Monument
During the Civil War, Macon, Georgia was a thriving city, serving as a major transportation, medical, and manufacturing center. In 1864, Federal officers were being held at Camp Oglethorpe, a prisoner of war camp. Two battles were fought in Macon; . . . — Map (db m98657) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-3 — The Dunlap House←←←
The only battles fought at Macon took place here. Twice the Federals attacked Macon, emplanting their cannon on this farm, and twice they were repulsed. In the first attack under Gen. Stoneman on July 30, 1864, they shelled Macon from 10 A.M. until . . . — Map (db m44995) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — The Dunlap HouseOcmulgee National Monument
In 1856, Samuel S. Dunlap constructed this house as part of his 400-acre cotton plantation. The plantation was operated by nineteen slaves who lived in three cabins. The Dunlap family also owned a home on High Street in the city of Macon. On July . . . — Map (db m98654) HM
Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-15 — Wilson's Raid To Macon
On March 22, 1865, the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Bvt. Maj. Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, left the Tennessee River near Florence, Ala., and marched south to Selma to destroy its arsenals and foundries. On April 10th, . . . — Map (db m25380) HM
Georgia (Irwin County), Irwinville — 077- 6 — Jefferson Davis
Late on May 8, the night before his arrival at this site, Mr. Davis and his party had camped in Abbeville (26 miles NE), unaware that pursuit was close behind. Their pursuers, the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry (US), Lt. Col. Henry Harnden, had learned in . . . — Map (db m40151) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-24 — Battle of Griswoldville
On Nov. 22 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] marched southeast from the vicinity of Gray toward Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. To protect the right against Wheeler’s cavalry [CS], Brig. . . . — Map (db m98659) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-25 — Battle of Griswoldville The Advance from East Macon
On Nov. 22, 1864, the 1st Division, Georgia Militia (less the 1st Brigade), with the 1st and 2nd Regiments, Georgia State Line, and Anderson’s Georgia Battery attached, Brig. Gen. Pleasant J. Phillips commanding, marched from East Macon about 8:00 . . . — Map (db m65517) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-13 — Confederate Pistol Factory
In 1862, to meet the pressing need of the Confederate States Army for revolvers of the Colt pattern, the Griswold Cotton Gin Company’s plant, on this site, was converted to a pistol factory. In March, the production of cotton gin machinery was . . . — Map (db m98660) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Griswoldville — 084-4 — Griswoldville
This town is named for Samuel Griswold who moved his iron foundries and cotton gin factories here from Clinton to be on the railroad. A disastrous unrecorded battle was fought here in 1864 when a force of old men and youths under Gen. Phillips, . . . — Map (db m25194) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Ardick — 095-33 — Capture of 23 Old Men in 1864
Near here, in Ebenezer Church, 23 old men were captured by Federal troops on the night of August 3rd, 1864. These civilians, too old for military service, were the sole protection of McIntosh County, which was constantly being plundered by forces . . . — Map (db m104509) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-14 — Fort Barrington»— 12 mi. →
Fort Barrington, about twelve miles West of here on the Altamaha River, was built in 1751. Lieut. Robert Baillie, in charge of construction, commanded the post for several years. Named Fort Howe during the Revolution, the fort played a vital part . . . — Map (db m104506) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-17 — Old River Road
The River Road has changed but little in location since its beginning as a Military Route in 1739. Scottish Highlanders first marched over it on their way to invade Spanish Florida, and troops have used it in three wars ­- the War with Spain, the . . . — Map (db m104508) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings
Early A.M.E. Missionaries to South Carolina, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and Rev. James A. Handy, arrived at Hilton Head on the Steamship Arago at 3:18 p.m. Friday, May 12, 1865. Rev. James Lynch, also an A.M.E. Missionary, shared entertainment . . . — Map (db m104498) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Black Troops on Hilton Head
The first black troops in the Union Army enlisted on Hilton Head Island in May 1862. Initially, men who escaped plantations and slavery were reluctant to join the army. They did not want to leave their families and new financial opportunities and . . . — Map (db m105295) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-42 — Cherry Hill School
(Front) This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African-American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in personage of St. . . . — Map (db m104496) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — First African Baptist Church
Oldest Baptist church on Hilton Head Island Organized August 17, 1862 in the town of Mitchelville with 120 members Building was moved to present location later and rebuilt in 1966 Rededicated October 30, 1988 Rev. C.W. Aiken, Pastor . . . — Map (db m104497) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-37 — First African Baptist Church
(front) This church, organized in 1862, was first located in the town of Mitchelville, a freedman’s village established on Hilton Head by the United States Army. Rev. Abraham Murchinson, its first pastor, was a former slave. The . . . — Map (db m104580) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Fort Howell - 1864
An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the civil War era, Fort Howell was constructed by Union Forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. . . . — Map (db m6801) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Hilton Head Island
This marker has been erected as a lasting tribute to the following men who envisioned Hilton Head Island as a place where man could commune with Nature and the Forest and all things that dwell therein. These men determined that no . . . — Map (db m104507)
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Mitchelville and Abolitionists
Interest in the freedom seekers of Mitchelville and the surrounding areas led to an outpouring of assistance from Northern missionaries and abolitionists. They organized and sent aid and teachers. Newspaper reporters came to document conditions . . . — Map (db m105263) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Mitchelville Building Sites
The Maps and Pictures below identify the approximate locations of roads and buildings that were in Mitchelville circa 1862-1868.The Town of Mitchelville had praise houses, stores, schools and numerous homes. Unfortunately no physical remains of . . . — Map (db m105156) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-55 — Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church
(front) The congregation of Queen Chapel can trace its roots to May 1865 when A.M.E. missionaries Rev. R.H. Cain, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and James A. Handy arrived on Hilton Head Island. They visited the Freedman’s town of Mitchelville . . . — Map (db m104583) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Reconnecting with Family
Reuniting with family was one of the first concerns of African slaves who escaped to Hilton Head Island. Slavery split up families. Owners could sell family members for profit or punishment. On Hilton Head Island, and places where freedom seekers . . . — Map (db m105209) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Religion in Mitchelville/School in Mitchelville
Religion in Mitchelville Before Mitchelville was established, African slaves on the island congregated at impromptu religious services under trees. The churches built in Mitchelville were the center of religious, social, political, and . . . — Map (db m105172) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Battle of Port Royal/William Fitzhugh and Black Sailors in the Union Navy
The Battle of Port Royal On November 7, 1861, at the Battle of Port Royal Union forces attacked Confederates at Fort Walker on Hilton Head island and Fort Beauregard at Bay Point.The Union deployed the largest amphibious fleet ever . . . — Map (db m105290) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Dawn of Freedom: Mitchelville
During the civil War, Union forces defeated the Confederates on Hilton Head Island at the Battle of Port Royal on November 7, 1861. Cannon fire from that battle heralded a dawn of freedom for millions of African slaves throughout the South. . . . — Map (db m105121) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Working for Wages/Freedmen’s Bureau
Working for Wages African slaves who escaped their plantations and worked for the Union military earned between six and eighteen dollars a month as carpenters, blacksmiths, drivers, boatmen, and laborers. Others worked as cooks and servants . . . — Map (db m105254) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — World’s Largest Figurative Sundial
(plaque 1) Welcome to The Shelter Cove Harbor Community Home Of The World’s Largest Figurative Sundial Dedicated August 18, 1983 The sculpture weighs more than a ton, is a twice life sized statue of Neptune, cast in bronze at . . . — Map (db m104698)
Virginia (Albemarle County), Charlottesville — Q-22 — Union Occupation of Charlottesville
On 3 Mar. 1865, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s Union Army of the Shenandoah entered Charlottesville to destroy railroad facilities as the 3rd Cavalry Division led by Bvt. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer arrived from Waynesboro. Mayor Christopher H. . . . — Map (db m95140) HM
Virginia (Albemarle County), Scottsville — Hatton Ferry
History of Hatton Ferry. The Hatton Ferry began operation in 1870, when Buckingham County authorities issued a court order to construct a public ferry across the James River to the Albemarle County lands of Thomas P. Gantt (ca. 1846-1896), a . . . — Map (db m99392) HM
Virginia (Amherst County), Madison Heights — R-4 — Lynchburg Defenses
During the Civil War, a line of trenches and fortified artillery positions extending past here were built late in 1863 to defend Lynchburg against attack from the north. Brig. Gen. Francis T. Nicholls was responsible for ensuring that the local . . . — Map (db m46352) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox — K-158 — Appomattox Court HouseNew and Old
This building, erected in 1892 when the county seat was moved to this location, should not be mistaken for the original, built in 1846 and destroyed by fire in 1892. Three miles northeast is old Appomattox Court House and the McLean House where Lee . . . — Map (db m15514) HM
Virginia (Appomattox County), Appomattox — K-159 — Battle of Appomattox Station — 1865
Near this building stood the station of the South Side Railroad where, on April 8, 1865, three trains unloading supplies for the Army of Northern Virginia were captured by units of Sheridan’s Union cavalry under Gen. Geo. Custer. Significant for its . . . — Map (db m3605) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Curdsville — F-59 — March to Appomattox
Part of Lee's army passed here retreating westward, April 8, 1865. The Sixth (Wright's) Corps of Grant's Army passed here, in pursuit, in the afternoon of the same day, moving on toward Appomattox. — Map (db m28112) HM
Virginia, Buena Vista — L-11 — Moomaw’s Landing
Here was Moomaw’s Landing, on the North River Canal. In May 1863 the packet Marshall passed here bearing the body of General Thomas J. (“Stonewall”) Jackson to Lexington. Mrs. Robert E. Lee used the canal in 1865 to join her . . . — Map (db m50374) HM
Virginia (Caroline County), Port Royal — EP-20 — Assassin's End
This is the site of Locust Hill, Richard Henry Garrett's farm. Early on the morning of 26 April 1865, a 16th New York Cavalry detachment cornered John Wilkes Booth, the assassin of President Abraham Lincoln, and his co-conspirator, John E. Harold, . . . — Map (db m92832) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationHeadquarters Hill
John Strode, a prominent Revolutionary War gun manufacturer, built his manor house, Fleetwood, in the late 1700s. Strode was a friend of President Thomas Jefferson, who often stayed here when traveling between Monticello and Washington, D.C. The . . . — Map (db m97488) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationBattle for Fleetwood Hill
On the evening of June 8, 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his headquarters staff camped on the northern edge of Fleetwood Hill. Early the next morning, heavy gunfire from the direction of Beverly's Ford (three miles to your left rear), . . . — Map (db m97490) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationThe Winter Camp of 1863-1864
The 1863 campaigns for Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Bristoe Station, and Mine Run exacted an immense toll upon the Army of the Potomac. Union Gen. George G. Meade deemed it vital to rest his command. War Department officials also used this . . . — Map (db m97493) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationBattle's Wake
Driven from Fleetwood Hill, the Union cavalry pulled back toward the Rappahannock River and halted just beyond cannon range. Observing that the sullen Federals refused to depart, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart consolidated his defensive line around . . . — Map (db m97494) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationConfederate Counterattack
Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart realized that his headquarters here was overrun and that Gen. William E. Jones's Brigade was fighting to survive. Stuart ordered Gen. Wade Hampton's Brigade to fall back from the St. James Church line and recapture . . . — Map (db m97495) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationKilpatrick's Attack
Col. H. Judson Kilpatrick formed his brigade on an open plateau to the southeast of Fleetwood Hill, 900 yards from here. He soon received orders to support Lt. Col. Percy Wyndham's Brigade, now fiercely engaged with Gen. William E. Jones's Brigade . . . — Map (db m97499) HM
Virginia (Culpeper County), Brandy Station — Battle of Brandy StationWyndham's Attack
Union Lt. Col. Percy Wyndham advanced his command from Brandy Station and centered his attack on this spot. To your right, the 1st New Jersey Cavalry ascended the slope. The 1st Maryland Cavalry occupied the center, and to your left, circling around . . . — Map (db m97501) HM
Virginia, Danville — Q 5-A — Last Confederate Capitol
This, the former home of Major W.T. Sutherlin, is regarded as the last capitol of the Confederacy, April 3-10, 1865. Here President Davis stayed and here was held the last full cabinet meeting, Breckinridge alone being absent. The establishment of . . . — Map (db m66012) HM
Virginia (Essex County), Tappahannock — N-39 — British Raid on Tappahannock / The War of 1812
(side 1) British Raid on Tappahannock On 2 Dec. 1814, British naval forces commanded by Capt. Robert Barrie shelled and seized the town of Tappahannock during the War of 1812. Aiding the British were three companies of African . . . — Map (db m97117) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Vienna — T-57 — Fields of Fire
On 17 June 1863, early in the Gettysburg Campaign, the Union XII Corps camped just north of here. The men left Fairfax Court House at daybreak, ate breakfast at Hunter's Mill, and halted by 11 AM because of extreme heat, 99 degrees in the shade. . . . — Map (db m93018) HM
Virginia, Falls Church — Taylor’s Tavern
Two-story building with verandahs stood on 56 acres bought in 1856 by Wm. Taylor (part of 1731 271-acre T. Harrison grant). Tavern faced Alexandria-Leesburg Pike west of Junction with Georgetown Road (Wilson Blvd.). Near here on June 24, 1861, . . . — Map (db m2837) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — W-37 — Peninsula Campaign
During the Peninsula Campaign of 1862, both Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston and Union Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan had their armies west toward Richmond on this road. Johnston evacuated Yorktown on 3-4 May and withdrew up the Peninsula, with . . . — Map (db m10118) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-3 — Inner Defenses1864
Here ran the Inner line of Lynchburg defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill in June, 1864. General John C. Breckinridge. Confronting General Hunter in the Shenandoah Valley, made a forced march to forestall Hunter. Hill constructed a shallow line . . . — Map (db m15541) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KN-3 — Bank Street Baptist Church
The Bank Street Baptist Church was built on this site in 1802 as a Presbyterian church. In 1840 it was purchased by a group of free blacks to serve them as a Baptist church. Because it had one of the first church bells in Norfolk, the building was . . . — Map (db m3323) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Confederate Defense Line
Confederate breastworks crossed this road extending from Tanner's Creek on the west to Broad Creek on the east with an intrenched camp to the west. Union soldiers under Major Gen. John E. Wool landed at Ocean View and marched to Norfolk over this . . . — Map (db m87727) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Father Ryan's Home
On Chapel Street, south of this point, stood the home of Father Abram J. Ryan, beloved poet of the Confederacy. "But their memories e'er shall remain for us and their names, bright names, without stain for us: the glory they won shall not wane for . . . — Map (db m36833) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Freemason Street Baptist Church
In May 1848 former members of the Cumberland Street Baptist Church organized to become the Freemason Street Baptist Church. A new church building was begun that year and completed and dedicated in May 1850. The Reverend Tiberius Gracchus Jones, a . . . — Map (db m48251) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Margaret Douglass
"I told the judge to do his duty and put me in prison at once, if he chose, for I would ask no favors at the hands of any man." Margaret Douglass Margaret Douglass, a white woman from Charleston, South Carolina, moved to Norfolk . . . — Map (db m48239) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Monticello Hotel, 1898
The Monticello Hotel, which opened at the corner of City Hall Avenue and Granby Street on September 27, 1898, was the largest and finest hotel in Norfolk for over 60 years. The hotel was built on filled land. By 1885 Town Back Creek had been filled . . . — Map (db m48238) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Moses Myers, House 1792
Moses Myers (1753-1835) was a shipping merchant who came to Norfolk in 1787 from New York. He acquired this site in September 1791 and built his distinguished Federal town house in 1792. It was one of the early brick buildings to be constructed in . . . — Map (db m35092) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Old Norfolk Public Library
Norfolk had several libraries for public use during the nineteenth century, among them that of the Norfolk Library Association, organized in 1870. Though designated "public," membership was not free. The fee to use the reading rooms and to check out . . . — Map (db m35159) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KV-21 — Pauline Adams(1874-1957)
Pauline Adams, a native of Ireland who immigrated to the United States in her youth, was a woman’s rights activist who advocated a militant approach to the campaign for suffrage. The Equal Suffrage League of Norfolk was formed at her house in Ghent . . . — Map (db m104849) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Town Back Creek and Stone Bridge
Town Back Creek, extend­ing east­wardly from the Elizabeth River almost to St. Paul’s Church, was the north­ern end of the orig­i­nal town of Norfolk. By the early 1800’s new res­i­den­tial devel­op­ment had occurred north of the creek. Two early . . . — Map (db m21225) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Tripoli Street
Monticello Avenue, South of Market Street, was formerly Tripoli Street. It was named in honour of Commodore Stephen Decatur's victory over the Barbary Pirates, after he had requested that his own name should not be used. — Map (db m3370) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — West Freemason Street Historic District
In 1686 one hundred acres of land in this vicinity were granted to the Elizabeth River Parish for a glebe. It was sold by the vestry in 1734 to a merchant named Samuel Smith. This was one of the first areas of Norfolk to be developed outside the . . . — Map (db m35160) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Whitehead House, 1791
Patrick Parker, a wealthy merchant, built a Georgian style home here in 1791. Later occupants of the house included Hugh Blair Grigsby and John Boswell Whitehead, sons of Elizabeth McPherson. Elizabeth's first husband was the Reverend Benjamin . . . — Map (db m35094) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Southern Firepower
This 6.4-inch Brooke rifled cannon became a great source of pride for the Confederacy. Named for its inventor, John Mercer Brooke, this type of gun was renowned for its superior range, accuracy, and reliability compared to to its smoothbore . . . — Map (db m101430) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Fredericksburg — The 124th New York Regiment’s First Battle
After the Union Army's disastrous events of May 3, 1863, the 124th New York Regiment of Franklin's Brigade, Whipple's Division of Sickles III Corps fell back to this area where the Mineral Springs Road crossed La Roque's Run (to the rear and right). . . . — Map (db m108310) HM
Virginia, Virginia Beach — K-276 — The Testing of Grace Sherwood
The witchcraft case of Grace Sherwood is one of the best known in Virginia. She was accused of bewitching a neighbor’s crop in 1698. Allegations grew over time until the Princess Anne County government and her accusers decided she would be tested by . . . — Map (db m20361) HM
Virginia, Virginia Beach — The United States Life-Saving Service Stations & CrewsThe Old Coast Guard Station Maritime Museum
In 1871 Congress created the United States Life-Saving Service (USLSS), an organization dedicated to rescuing the men and woman whose ships wrecked off of the United States coast. The USLSS built a total of 285 stations across the country. Five . . . — Map (db m104857) HM
Virginia, Virginia Beach — KV-18 — The War of 1812 / President – Little Belt Affair
The War of 1812. Impressment of Americans into British service and the violation of American ships were among the causes of America's War of 1812 with the British which lasted until 1815. Virginians suffered from a British naval blockade of . . . — Map (db m104666) HM
Virginia, Winchester — Tennessee
(No Inscription)Map (db m26851) HM

508 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 308
Paid Advertisement