Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

410 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 210
 
Old M. & ST. L. Depot Museum Marker image, Touch for more information
By Ruth VanSteenwyk, November 8, 2015
Old M. & ST. L. Depot Museum Marker
Iowa (Carroll County), Carroll — The Miracle Cornfield Landing of 1960
At 1:40 am during a blizzard on January 18th, 1960, a World War II and Korean War marine veteran conducted a successful emergency landing of a D.C.- 3 airplane a few yards north of this spot.     Shortly after an 8:30pm takeoff from St. . . . — Map (db m102487) HM
Iowa (Lyon County), Rock Rapids — First Reinforced Concrete Bridge — In the United States
Built in 1893 three miles south of here over Cry Creek, this arch bridge was designed by Joseph Melan, the Austrian originator of the Melan System of reinforcing concrete. His supervisor of construction was Frederick Von Emberger. The builder was . . . — Map (db m101270) HM
Iowa (O'Brien County), Hartley — Hartley Iowa Veterans' Memorial
Dedicated to the Men and Women of the Armed Forces ___________________ Past – Present – Future Be it Times of Peace Or Times of War Their Service and Sacrifice Established and Preserved Our Freedoms of Democracy . . . — Map (db m101729) WM
Iowa (Winneshiek County), Fort Atkinson — Fort Atkinson
Fort Atkinson was founded in 1840 as a temporary post to keep the Winnebago (Ho-Chunk) Indians west of the Mississippi River on the land known as the Neutral Ground after their removal from Wisconsin. The Neutral Ground was intended for exclusive . . . — Map (db m90570) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Correctionville — Built for a Lifetime of Service
Correctionville's first brick schoolhouse has been standing here since 1872. Correctionville residents working for a local brickyard dug the clay nearby hand-formed and fired for the schoolhouse. The building was repaired in the 1950s and . . . — Map (db m100945) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Correctionville — Correctionville's Engine for Growth
Midwestern prairie towns relied on trains to bring passengers, consumer goods, construction lumber, mail and coal. A town with a depot enjoyed more business activity and travelers coming and going because trains made regularly scheduled stops to . . . — Map (db m102567) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Correctionville — How Correctionville Got Its Name!
Correctionville — the city with the longest single name in Iowa — was named for the correction line which forms Fifth Street through the heart of the Business District. Correction lines were used by surveyors in making land . . . — Map (db m92784)
Iowa (Woodbury County), Correctionville — Strong, Simple and Economical
This bridge is a type of bridge patented in 1844, by Thomas and Caleb Pratt. The first Pratt truss bridges were wood designs, but when wrought iron and then steel became more available, the design quickly switched to metal. Metal bridges could . . . — Map (db m102565) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Correctionville — Veteran's Memorial
To all who honorably served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America — Map (db m100944) WM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — First Bride's Grave
Dedicated in Memory of Roselie Menard Sioux City's First Bride Born 1838 A.D. Died 1865 A.D. Presented By Milton E. Follis 1939 Officers of Woodbury County Pioneer Club Frank E. Gill, Pres. W.M. Stevens, Past . . . — Map (db m102568) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — Floyd Monument
West Side of Monument Floyd This Shaft Marks the Burial Place of Sergeant Charles Floyd A Member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition He Died in his Country's service and was buried near this spot August 20, 1804 Graves of . . . — Map (db m92778) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — Herbert Quick Ravine
Named in Memory of -Herbert Quick- -Statesman-Writer- -Mayor of Sioux City- He Knew and Loved the Prairie's of Iowa -1861 - 1925- — Map (db m102570) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — Sergeant Charles Floyd — Grave Site and Monument
Has Been Designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provision of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value in Commemorating and Illustrating the History of the United States of . . . — Map (db m92780) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — Sergeant Floyd Monument
Sergeant Charles Floyd Sergeant Charles Floyd was one of the outstanding members of the Lewis & Clark Expedition. Born in Jefferson County, Kentucky sometime between the years 1780 and 1785, his father and uncles served with George Rogers . . . — Map (db m92781) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — The Death of Sergeant Floyd — Lewis & Clark Expedition
Sgt. Floyd's Burial On Monday, August 20, 1804 this was written in the journal of Lewis and Clark: "...I am Dull & heavy been up the greater Part of last night with Serjt. Floyd, who is as bad as he can be to live...We set out under a . . . — Map (db m92782) HM
Iowa (Woodbury County), Sioux City — The Lewis and Clark Expedition
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired Louisiana . . . — Map (db m92783) HM
Minnesota (Big Stone County), Odessa — Welcome to Odessa
The village of Odessa began in 1879 with it's first settler, A.D. Beardsley. He was the Milwaukee depot agent and owner of the first general store. Mr. Beardsley lost a three-year-old daughter, Dessa, to diphtheria. It was after this girl that the . . . — Map (db m100967) HM
Minnesota (Big Stone County), Ortonville — Geology of Minnesota — Ortonville Region
Of all the geological agents which have played a part in shaping the face of Minnesota, the most overwhelming and powerful one is glacial ice. At least four times during the last million years, continental glaciers have spread over the state . . . — Map (db m101379) HM
Minnesota (Big Stone County), Ortonville — Paul Bunyan's Boat-Anchor
Legend has it that Paul Bunyan was mighty in the sport of fishing as in all else. He picked Minnesota for most of his fishing and is credited with creating more than a few of its ten thousand lakes. Big Stone Lake, visible here to the . . . — Map (db m101378) HM
Minnesota (Lac Qui Parle County), Madison — Madison Minnesota Veterans' Memorial — In Memoriam
We honor the Madison area servicemen who gave their lives in foreign Wars to protect our nation's freedom. — Map (db m101732) HM
Minnesota (Murray County), Avoca — Avoca
This town began in 1878 and named for a river in Ireland. Became a key point for the sale of 50,000 acres of Railroad lands to Catholic colonists in Murray County through the activities of Archbishop Ireland and the Catholic Colonization . . . — Map (db m101288) HM
Minnesota (Murray County), Fulda — Fulda Depot
Fulda's depot, the only surviving Eastlake - style two-story depot in southwestern Minnesota, was built in 1880 just to the southeast of the present location, on a platform between two sets of tracks. Boarding the train and loading freight was . . . — Map (db m101287) HM
Minnesota (Murray County), Fulda — Fulda's Cannon — -3 Inch Ordnance Rifle-
Side 1 In 1892, Fulda was to host the Encampment of the GAR, Grand Army of the Republic, comprised of Union veterans of the Civil War. With enthusiasm mounting, the members of the Zach Taylor Post 42 and a majority of Fulda's citizens . . . — Map (db m101285) HM
Minnesota (Steele County), Medford — Medford's Last Carriage Stone
Moved to this site, October, 1995, from 203 2nd St. N.W. this stone was used for putting one's foot on it when descending from a wagon or carriage originally installed, July, 1914 in front of the WH. Miner home as part of the 146' sidewalk . . . — Map (db m101283) HM
Minnesota (Swift County), Appleton — Flour Mill
The Pomme de Terre river which flows through the city of Appleton provided valuable water power to the early settlers. At this point on the river, a dam was built to improve the water power for a flour mill which stood on the north end of main . . . — Map (db m101289) HM
Minnesota (Traverse County), Tintah — District No. 44 School
Built in 1891, District No. 44 School is the quintessential one-room prairie schoolhouse. For over two centuries country schools were the foundation of the American education system, but school consolidation finally forced most rural . . . — Map (db m101272) HM
Minnesota (Watonwan County), La Salle — Site of Capture of the Younger Brothers
On the morning of September 21, 1876, sixteen days after the Northfield bank robbery, the Younger brothers and Charley Pitts stopped at the Sorbel farm home on the north shore of Linden Lake in Brown County. They asked for food and received it, but . . . — Map (db m101362) HM
Minnesota (Watonwan County), Madelia — Truss Bridge #6527
This span bridge has been preserved because it is one of only a few span bridges still standing in Minnesota in 2000. Before the days of bridges, Madelia boasted three fords across the Watonwan River. The first road through the county (the . . . — Map (db m100968) HM
Minnesota (Wilkin County), Breckenridge — AH-1 Cobra attack Helicopter
AH-1 Cobra helicopter serial number 67-1565 saw action in the Vietnam War with D Troop, 1st Squadron, 1st Air Calvary. This aircraft was damaged on three different occasions while flying combat missions from 1968 to 1970. Two former crew members . . . — Map (db m103089) HM WM
Minnesota (Wilkin County), Breckenridge — Breckenridge
Named for John C. Breckenridge, vice-president of the United States from 1857 to 1861, the town was laid out in 1857. On August 23, 1862, its citizens were warned that the Sioux Indians were planning a raid on the town, and most of them fled to . . . — Map (db m101275) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — 167 — Historic Missouri Valley
During their exploration of the Missouri and Columbia Rivers, Lewis and Clark held councils with Ponca, Omaha, and Sioux Indians inhabiting this region. The council with the Sioux occurred August 28-31, 1804 at Calumet Bluff now the southern . . . — Map (db m101395) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — Meeting the Yankton Sioux
On August 27, 1804, the Lewis and Clark Expedition set up its camp for four days downstream from Calumet Bluff. The explorers came across three American Indian boys who told them of a large Yankton Sioux camp nearby. Knowing that President . . . — Map (db m101392) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — Meridian Highway
You are within sight and sound of a Midwestern dream come true - the Meridian Highway. In 1911 a group of Kansans and Nebraskans drafted a plan for a highway paralleling the sixth principal meridian through America's heartland from Canada . . . — Map (db m101393) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — 168 — Scenic Missouri Valley
This scenic overlook provides a clear view of the valley of the Missouri River, the longest waterway in North America. To the west is the Gavins Point Dam and the Lewis and Clark Recreation Area. The dam was built to harness the fury of the . . . — Map (db m101391) HM
Nebraska (Cedar County), Crofton — The Great Missouri River
The Missouri, the continent's longest river, figures prominently in the unfolding of America's saga. Flowing nearby in its 2,341 - mile course from the Rocky Mountains to the Mississippi, the Big Muddy is not only loaded with sediment but . . . — Map (db m101394) HM
North Dakota (Cass County), Fargo — "The Woodchipper" in FARGO
Welcome to Fargo-Moorhead's most notorious photo op! This is a "stunt double" for the equipment used in a key concluding scene of the movie FARGO. Feel free to pose for a picture and share your experience online. Step inside the FM . . . — Map (db m102057) HM
North Dakota (Cass County), Fargo — The Fargo Walk of Fame
Founded in 1989 by Fargo printer, Mike Stevens, the walk of fame was originally located on the city sidewalks of Mike's print shop, Express Press, in downtown Fargo. It was moved to the current site during the summer of 2000. The first inductee . . . — Map (db m102055) HM
North Dakota (Cass County), Wild Rice — The First Prestressed Concrete Bridge Deck Constructed in North Dakota — Built - 1953
Cass County Board of Commissioners H. Eklund - Chairman I. Sandbeck - L. Younker L. Sutton - W. Bailey County Engineer - A. Cousins Built By Jardine Bridge Co., Inc. Fargo, North Dakota Historic Bridge The above plaque was taken . . . — Map (db m91441) HM
North Dakota (Dickey County), Fullerton — Carroll House
Est. 1889 Restored 1989 — Map (db m93247) HM
North Dakota (LaMoure County), LaMoure — Civilian Conservation Corps Project
This commemorative plaque is placed near the site where CCC Camp #2760 of the CCC was located in the City of LaMoure, North Dakota--when this Dam was constructed by the CCC in 1934. CCC Co #2760 built the Dam across the James River just . . . — Map (db m112158) HM
North Dakota (LaMoure County), LaMoure — LaMoure County Courthouse
The brick walls of the LaMoaure County Courthouse have withstood the elements since 1910, and the building has become a cornerstone of the community's vitality. However, 15 years before the first brick was laid, two communities fought over its . . . — Map (db m112561) HM
North Dakota (LaMoure County), LaMoure — Steamboats on the River
As printed in the LaMoure County Chronicle Aug. 30, 1912: "Undoubtedly the most enjoyable trip was the one after supper Sunday evening, when fully half a hundred excursionists found plenty of room on the boat. With the wind reduced to a . . . — Map (db m112189) HM
North Dakota (Richland County), Fairmount — Veteran's Memorial
front As you view this eternal memorial, remember the names and why they are here. Be grateful, be proud. back We honor all those who have served their country in the armed forces during conflict and peace. With . . . — Map (db m101280) HM
North Dakota (Stutsman County), Jamestown — Jamestown Dam
Jamestown Dam 1953 Missouri River Basin project Built by and for the people of the United States for the conservation, control, and use of water resources. Height of Dam 110 Feet Length of Crest 1418 Feet Reservoir Capacity 230,000 Acre Feet . . . — Map (db m90547) HM
South Dakota (Aurora County), Plankinton — Aurora County — WWII Veterans Memorial — Est. 2012
All Gave Some… some Gave All! To our Veterans, as protectors of this great nation, we are proud to be able to honor all servicemen and women, past and present. The original WWII Memorial was built in 1947 by the Veterans of Aurora County . . . — Map (db m101728) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — Albert D. Sahli
Albert D. Sahli is a native of Aberdeen and a 1947 graduate of Aberdeen Central High School. Coach Sahli received his bachelor's degree in 1951 and master's in 1956, both from Northern State University. Coach Sahli's coaching career began in . . . — Map (db m112035) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — Andrew Melgaard
This statue erected in memory of Andrew Melgaard Pioneer Who Presented this park to The City of Aberdeen — Map (db m90518) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — Clark Swisher
Clark Swisher was a native of Vermillion, South Dakota and graduated from Vermillion High School in 1934. He want on to earn a Bachelor's Degree in 1938 from the University of South Dakota. Coach Swisher began his coaching career at high . . . — Map (db m112037) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — Donald S. Reshetar
Don Reshetar is a native of Minneapolis, Minnesota and a 1947 graduate of Minneapolis South High School. Coach Reshetar graduated with his bachelor's degree from Augustana College, in 1951 and master's degree from Northern State University in . . . — Map (db m112036) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — F.W. Sallet and the Dakota Freie Presse
Two German language newspapers, Dakota Freie Press (DFP) and Neue Deutsche Presse (NDP), were located a short distance from here at 324 South Main St. Owner and editor, Friedrich Wilheim Sallet, emigrated from East Prussia and published DFP for . . . — Map (db m90571) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — GROW! Aberdeen, SD - Absolutely! Aberdeen
This sculpture was commissioned by Absolutely! Aberdeen for the GROW! Campaign. It symbolizes Absolutely! Aberdeen's commitment to promote growth in and around the Aberdeen area. Each piece of the sculpture represents a specific element that we . . . — Map (db m90799)
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — James Kretchman
James Kretchman is a native of Faulkton, S.D. He first started his Northern experience as a scholar athlete in the 1950's. While playing football under Coach Clark Swisher Coach Kretchman earned Little All-American honors and he is still amongst . . . — Map (db m112033) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — Swisher Field — Clark Swisher
Left Side Clark Swisher's Commitment to N.S.U. and his Efforts for the Community, Exemplify his Love of athletics And his desire For students To achieve Educational Excellence. Right Side Head . . . — Map (db m112032) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Aberdeen — The Great Northern Railroad Depot
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Built 1906 — Map (db m91243) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Bath — Bath, South Dakota
At this site on June 22, 1989, The State Centennial Wagon Train with 44 wagons made their noon stop. Over 700 people welcomed the wagon train with an old fashioned BBQ and entertainment. — Map (db m90516) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — Waterfowl
Perhaps our best known group of birds, waterfowl species such as ducks, geese and swans have webbed feet and water repellent feathers that allow them to float and swim easily. Often striking in plumage, waterfowl are found in a variety of watery . . . — Map (db m102937) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — Columbia — 1879
Located at the mouth of Elm River, Columbia has a notable history. Here was the wintering place of Waneta "Cuthead Band"of Yanctonaise Sioux. Here was the site of the scout's camp from which in 1866, Sam J. Brown started his famous "ride in . . . — Map (db m100971) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — Columbia Marsh
A Wetland Enhancement Project Developed by Ducks Unlimited, Inc. in cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the North American Wetlands Conservation Act Council on Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge to improve North America's . . . — Map (db m103078) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge — Welcome to
Sand Lake National Wildlife refuge, a 2,498 acre refuge, was established in 1935 to protect critical nesting and migrating habitat for our nation's waterfowl. The James River, which flows through the refuge, was dammed by the Civilian Conservation . . . — Map (db m102938) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — Sand Lake's Observation Tower — …A Bird's Eye View
This 108-foot tower was built by the Civilian Conservation corps in 1936. The Sand Lake CCC camp ran from 1925 through 1939 and housed several hundred men. They built many of the dikes, fences, and facilities you see on the Refuge today. The . . . — Map (db m103080) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — Songbirds — Neotropical Migrants
"Over increasingly large areas of the United States, spring now comes unheralded by the return of the birds, and the early mornings are now strangely silent, where once they were filled with the beautiful bird song." Silent Spring, . . . — Map (db m102940) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Columbia — The View from the Top
WEST Looking to the west, the giant Canada goose pens and display pool are below you. In the spring and summer, you'll see the giant Canada geese raising their goslings in the area. Just beyond the goose area is the tree-lined Refuge . . . — Map (db m103079) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Frederick — South Dakota — You Are Entering
Front of Marker Created with its twin, North Dakota, 2 November 1889, its 77,047 square miles ranks 15th in size. Those square miles include; exceptional corn land in the SE, grass land in the W, wheat land in the N and Productive land all . . . — Map (db m91959) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Groton — Groton South Dakota Veteran's Memorial
Dedicated to All Area Veterans All Gave Some Some Gave All — Map (db m101735) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Houghton — Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp BF-2 (Sand Lake): 2 1/2 miles W and 2 1/2 miles S at headquarters. Company: 2749--6/28/35 - 7/31/39. The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal work-relief program during the Great Depression. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC provided work . . . — Map (db m100979) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Houghton — Sand Lake National Wildlife Refuge
A Wetland of International Importance (Marker 1) Wetlands are one of the most important ecosystems on the planet. They improve our quality of life by providing us with clean water, food, flood control, and many forms of recreation. . . . — Map (db m100980) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Mansfield — John Mansfield
John Mansfield Founder Mansfield Dak Territory 1882 — Map (db m90531) HM
South Dakota (Brown County), Stratford — Stratford Veterans Memorial
"Lest We Forget" Dedicated to all the Veterans of the United States of America and to those who will come after us for their Service to God and Country — Map (db m90796) WM
South Dakota (Brule County), Chamberlain — Lewis and Clark Bicentennial 1804-2004
This Corps of Discovery II marker commemorates the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition. The geographic position of this marker has been established using the satellite-based Global Positioning System. This marker is part of the . . . — Map (db m101382) HM
South Dakota (Brule County), Chamberlain — Missouri River Bridges of South Dakota — National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark
Completed 1927 Commemorated 1995 — Map (db m101386) HM
South Dakota (Brule County), Chamberlain — Purple Heart Memorial Highway
On May 24, 2012, the South Dakota DOT Transportation Commission officially declared Interstate 90 from the Minnesota border to the Wyoming border as South Dakota's segment of the national Purple Heart Trail. The Purple Heart Trail was . . . — Map (db m101380) WM
South Dakota (Butte County), Belle Fourche — Minnesela, So. Dak. — 1882 - 1901
Original Site of the U.S. Post Office and Store Minnesela So. Dak. 1882 - 1901 — Map (db m90569) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Eureka — Hoffnungstal EV. Lutheran Church
Hoffnungstal EV. Lutheran Church Eureka, South Dakota Organized 1888 Disbanded December 31, 1968 Record Depository Zion Am. Lutheran Church Eureka, South Dakota Original Church Corner Stone Ev. Luth. . . . — Map (db m112049) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Pollock — Flint Store and Post Office
Side A The Flint store and post office was built on this site in 1895. It was named after Moses E. Flint , and early homesteader. Mr. Flint served as a teamster with General Custer on the 1876 campaign against the Sioux which ended with the . . . — Map (db m112082) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Pollock — Lewis and Clark and the Legend of Stone Idol Creek/Lewis and Clark Expedition Meet The Arikara
Lewis and Clark and the Legend of Stone Idol Creek On their epic exploratory expedition Meriwether Lewis and William Clark stopped near here and noted two stones resembling human figures, and third like a dog. Capt. Clark writes on Oct. . . . — Map (db m112085) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Pollock — Lewis and Clark/Pollock, South Dakota
Lewis and Clark The Lewis a nd Clark Expedition, officially the Corps of Discovery, was in what is now South Dakota from August 21 to October 14, 1804 and from August 21 to September 4, 1806. While here they would make numerous . . . — Map (db m112087) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Pollock — Old Pollock/Lot Distribution in New Pollock/Lake Pocasse
Old Pollock In 1901 Pollock was founded as the end point of the Soo Line rail service from Wishek, ND. Soo Line officials requested the town be named Pollock in honor of R.Y. Pollock, a pioneer lay minister and respected citizen of the . . . — Map (db m112084) HM
South Dakota (Campbell County), Pollock — Pollock, South Dakota Settlers Plaque/National Bicentennial Wagon Train
Pollock, South Dakota Settlers Plaque The first settlers came to this area about 1880. LaGrace, 9 miles southwest, was the first town and the County seat until 1888, when It gradually disappeared. The town of Pollock was . . . — Map (db m112086) HM
South Dakota (Clark County), Clark — Clark County Veterans Memorial
Front This Memorial dedicated to all veterans of Clark County and to those who will come after us for their service to God and Country. They gave the supreme sacrifice Back Sponsored by American Legion and . . . — Map (db m101257) WM
South Dakota (Clark County), Clark — Samuel Harrison Elrod — Fifth Governor of South Dakota
Samuel H. Elrod was born near Coatesville, Indiana, May 1, 1856. Having worked his way through Asbury College, now Depauw University, graduating in 1882, he passed the Indiana Bar Examinations and headed for Dakota Territory. Arriving in Watertown . . . — Map (db m91937) HM
South Dakota (Clark County), Elrod — Birthplace of South Dakota Amateur Baseball — Garden City - - - - - Six Miles North
In 1931 an economic depression spread across South Dakota and the nation. A drouth ravished crops and unemployment was widespread. In an effort to raise the morale of the people and to give amateur baseball players an opportunity to compete, . . . — Map (db m91936) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Florence — Dexter Cemetery
The Dexter Cemetery was started by the early pioneers located in this area in 1899 on land donated by John and Eliza Drake. This was followed by the organization of the United Brethren Church in Christ in 1902 under the supervision of Rev. W.F. . . . — Map (db m101260) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Kranzburg — District No. 5 Public School
District No. 5 School was the first rural public school in Codington County. At a meeting on June 30, 1879 at the Kranz Hotel, it was decided to build the school for $1,000 or less. The first term was from December 1879 to March 1880, taught by . . . — Map (db m101265) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), South Shore — Punished Woman's Lake — Legend of
During the Moon of the Harvest (August) in 1773 a band of Sioux were camped on the shore of this lake. We-Wa-Ke, fairest maiden in the camp had given her heart to a brave young warrior, Big Eagle, whose courage on the hunt and in battle far . . . — Map (db m101267) HM
South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Old M. & ST. L. Depot Museum
This depot, originally the Rock Island Lines New Passenger Station and Division Office Building. Was erected as a joint venture of the Rock Island, and the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroads in 1912 for $50,000.00.

Over the years, it has . . . — Map (db m90413) HM

South Dakota (Codington County), Watertown — Watertown — and Vicinity
1835 Joseph LaFramboise had trade post at Two Woods Lake (Chanopa. 1838 Nicollet & Fremont , explorers, visited SE Codington County. 1840 Rev. Stephen Return Riggs enroute, Lac Qui Parle to Ft. Pierre, traversed the area. 1856 Capt. Alfred . . . — Map (db m91935) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Andover — Amsden Dam
Amsden Dam built by Brown and Day Counties Works Progress Administration W.P.A. Project Number 455 Nineteen Thirty Six — Map (db m101723) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Pierpont — Charles H. Sheldon — Second Governor of South Dakota — 1893 - 1897
Born at Johnson, Vermont, Sept. 12, 1840. His father died when he was 4 and at 6 he was bound out to work on a farm. He had 3 months schooling per year until 14 when, to get better educational opportunity, he got a store job for room and board and . . . — Map (db m91621) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Roslyn — Pioneering in Dakota — Prairie Fires
Pioneering was never easy. In Dakota, drought, and grasshoppers, blizzard, and prairie fires were all occupational hazards. In sparse timbered areas, the settlers lived in dugouts and sod houses, enduring the hardships common to all . . . — Map (db m100890) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Webster — Edgar S. McFadden
The farmers and farm organizations of Day County herewith seek to perpetuate the memory of and appreciation for one of Day County's farmers, agronomist and plant pathologist: Edgar S. McFadden The son of humble Christian parents was born . . . — Map (db m91410) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Webster — Sigurd Anderson — 19th Governor of South Dakota, 1951-1955 — Resident of Webster and Day County Since 1932
Born at Arendal, Norway, January 22, 1904, and came to the United States when three years old, settling in Lincoln County near Canton. Taught history and speech at Webster High School, 1932 to 1935. Completed law course at University of South Dakota . . . — Map (db m91387) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Webster — The Fight at Webster
Following the 1862 Minnesota Indian Uprising where nearly 600 men, women, and children were killed, the United States Army at Fort Wadsworth recruited friendly Indians as scouts to restrict the hostile Indians from white settlements. A half-breed, . . . — Map (db m91405) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Webster — Webster — County Seat of Day County
Founded in 1881 and named for J.P. Webster who homesteaded the townsite. Railroad supply point for Fort Sisseton (Fort Wadsworth) frontier outpost established 20 miles north in 1864. Gateway to Northeastern South Dakota Lake Region whose abundance . . . — Map (db m91379) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Webster — WWII Plane Crash Holds Memories
On October 25th, 1944 at 3:50 P.M. an A26-B two engine medium bomber from the Watertown Army Airbase crashed and burned in a field on the northwest quarter of section 12 of Butler township, which is two miles south and one mile west of this site. . . . — Map (db m91404) HM
South Dakota (Deuel County), Clear Lake — Hidewood Creek — Rest Area
Due east of these rest areas, the valley land looks much as it did before the pioneers came to this country. This area is part of the drainage of Hidewood Creek, located one-and one-half miles south of here. Hidewood's name comes from the prairie . . . — Map (db m92068) HM
South Dakota (Deuel County), Clear Lake — Hidewood Creek Rest Area
Due east of these rest areas, the valley land looks much as it did before the pioneers came to this country. This area is part of the drainage of Hidewood Creek, located one-and one-half miles south of here. Hidewood's name comes from the prairie . . . — Map (db m100894) HM
South Dakota (Deuel County), Clear Lake — Tabor Evangelical Church
This marker commemorates the courage, sacrifice, and faithful devotion of the pioneer families of the Evangelical faith who settled in this vicinity of Duel County, South Dakota. In the early days of settlement, services were held in the homes or . . . — Map (db m102485) HM
South Dakota (Edmunds County), Bowdle — Bowdle, South Dakota Veteran's Memorial
This Monument is Dedicated to all those who left from Bowdle, SD to serve in the armed forces of the United States of America and did not return home. Harry Stroup Ted Feiock Louis Krumm Harold Erbe Merle Merke l Wayne Barth . . . — Map (db m112042) WM
South Dakota (Edmunds County), Ipswich — Ipswich Memorial Arch
Plaque South Post East Side. This pillar of the Memorial Arch of Ipswich is erected in honor of the valiant men of the Community of Ipswich who answered our country's call to arms in the World War 1917-1918 and as an everlasting monument to . . . — Map (db m90784) HM WM
South Dakota (Edmunds County), Ipswich — Medicine or Prayer Rock
Found near Mobridge, the impression was tediously incised by some old Indian intent on building himself up as a medicine man. Once formed it was a symbol of great power and was venerated by the Indians who believed it the work of the "Wakan" or . . . — Map (db m90792) HM
South Dakota (Faulk County), Faulkton — Frank M. Byrne — Eighth Governor of South Dakota — 1913-1916
Born Oct. 23, 1858 on a farm near Volney, Iowa. Homesteaded in McCook County, South Dakota in 1879. Moved to Faulk County in 1883 where he married Emma Beaver in 1888. The following year the first of five sons was born. Gov. Byrne was elected to . . . — Map (db m101292) HM
South Dakota (Faulk County), Faulkton — LaFoon 1882 - 1891
First county seat of Faulk County, when this area surveyed October 1882 by Albert Mellen, Louis Kniesel just south and F.M. McMullen, a mile west, were "squatting" on the land. First post office, Cecrops, Nora Reppy, postmistress, was . . . — Map (db m101290) HM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Arlington — Arlington Veterans Memorial
In honor and remembrance of the men and women who served their country in time of war and peace. — Map (db m93565) WM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Arlington — Brookings County South Dakota — You are about to enter
Home of roving Indians until 1862. The exploring party of Nicollet, scientist, and Fremont, ‘Pathfinder of the West,’ visited Oakwood Lakes July 1838, leaving the first reliable record. The region East of the Big Sioux was ceded by the Santee . . . — Map (db m93520) HM
South Dakota (Kingsbury County), Arlington — Kingsbury County South Dakota — You are about to enter
A region of buffaloes and Indians until 1870s. Indian mounds are found at Spirit Lake. In 1838 the Nicollett-Fremont party skirted the NE corner. In 1857 Inkapaduta’s renegade Indians passed through with two white women captives, victims of the . . . — Map (db m93519) HM
South Dakota (Lake County), Madison — Old Madison – First County Seat — Ύ Mile East
Lake County was started October, 1873 when Herman N. Luce and John T. Hare, the first qualified County Commissioners, met at the cabin of William Lee near the site of old Madison, to organize. William Van Eps platted the old town of Madison June . . . — Map (db m93581) HM
South Dakota (Lake County), Ramona — Badus – Pioneer Swiss Colony — ½ Mile West – Ό Mile South
In 1877 a group of Swiss chose a point on the shore of Lake Badus for a colony. In 1878 Joseph Burkler, his family and some single men, arrived. In 1879 the colony was augmented by 11 other families who came by rail to Luverne, Minnesota and thence . . . — Map (db m93580) HM
South Dakota (Lake County), Ramona — Lake County South Dakota — You are about to enter
So named because of its beautiful lakes. It had been the realm of the Dacotah (Sioux) Indians with few white intruders until ceded by the Yankton tribe in 1858. In 1857 the Nobles Trail was built across its NE corner and that year Mrs. Wm. Marble, a . . . — Map (db m93576) HM
South Dakota (Lake County), Ramona — St. Ann's Catholic Church of Badus
Has been entered in the National Register of Historic Places By the Heritage Service of the United States Department of the Interior Built 1884 — Map (db m93578) HM
South Dakota (Lake County), Winfred — Lake County/Miner County — You are about to enter
Lake County So named because of its beautiful lakes. It had been the realm of the Dacotah (Sioux) Indians with few white intruders until ceded by the Yankton tribe in 1858. In 1857 the Noble's Trail was built across its NE corner and that year . . . — Map (db m101262) HM
South Dakota (Lyman County), Oacoma — American Island — This was until 1953
On Sept. 17, 1804, Lewis and Clark camped on the west bank below the Island and passing it on the 18th said: "Passed an Island about the middle of the river at 1 mile this island is about a mile long and has a great proportion of Red cedar on . . . — Map (db m101383) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Adjutants Office — Constructed in 1869
As the assistant to the commanding officer, the adjutant kept track of the men who were on furlough, in the hospital or on field patrol. Soldiers shared many new experiences while on patrol. Many were farm boys, away from home for the . . . — Map (db m101241) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Andrew Jackson Fisk Historic Trail
Andrew Jackson Fisk was fourteen when he enlisted in the Second Minnesota Cavalry, Company A. Two years later, he began his service as quartermaster sergeant as Fort Wadsworth (later named Fort Sisseton). Join Andrew as he shares with you, in . . . — Map (db m101242) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Bulldozing the Landscape
About, 20,000 years ago, a series of glaciers scoured and scraped their way across South Dakota, creating in their wake the Coteau des Prairies. As the glaciers retreated, they left a deposit known as glacial moraine - consisting of soil and rocky . . . — Map (db m101726) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Commanding Officer's Quarters — Constructed 1865-1867
Major Rose commanded Company F of the First U.S. Volunteers and the Second Minnesota Cavalry, of which Andrew was a member. Company F was a group of Confederate prisoners who agreed to serve at western outposts. They were known as "galvanized . . . — Map (db m101239) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Doctor's Residence — Constructed in 1881
One of the doctor's duties was to record mammal sightings. In 1869, elk, buffalo, antelope, grey wolf, and black bear were recorded. The antelope is the only animal still sighted in this region. Due to dwindling numbers, an order was . . . — Map (db m101238) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Fort Sisseton
Rebuilt by State of South Dakota and Works Progress Administration WPA Project Number 3384 Nineteen Thirty Nine Centennial Time Capsule In Cement Block, beneath this Marker Placed July 35, 1984 - To be opened at Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m91620) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Fort Sisseton Military Reservation, Dakota Territory
In February 1871, President Grant approved an 82,000 acre parcel of land measuring nine miles by fifteen miles as the Fort Sisseton Military Reservation. The land was set aside for use by the military for training exercises and hay ground for . . . — Map (db m101225) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Fort Wadsworth 1864 — Fort Sisseton 1876
Major John Clowney, 30th Wisconsin Infantry with Cos. B. E. G. and K, Captains Burton, Devlin, Swain & Klatt, started the fort on 1 August 1864, pursuant to orders of General John Pope, Department Commander. They were mostly from the north woods and . . . — Map (db m91618) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Governor William J. Janklow and Fort Sisseton
In 1996, with Executive Order 96-06, South Dakota Governor William J. "Bill" Janklow created the Governor's Commission on Fort Sisseton. His action ensured that input from dedicated local individuals, with a knowledge of history and a passion . . . — Map (db m103085) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Guard House — Constructed in 1865
Low morale often led to discipline problems at the Fort. For disobeying orders, a soldier may have been forced to "ride" the wooden horse. Serious infractions resulted in time spent in the guard house. Journal Entry Memorandum: Dick . . . — Map (db m101229) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Hospital — Constructed in 1887
During the Roaring Twenties, the Fort was leased for use as a hunting lodge. The hospital became the club room and main gathering place. Sportsmen came to hunt prairie chickens and ducks. For the poor marksmen, and for those who had more interest . . . — Map (db m101236) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Library — Constructed in 1881
Filling the countless hours proved to be a soldier's greatest challenge. According to one soldier, "everybody is writing who can raise a pencil or sheet of paper." When mail was delayed, soldiers turned to reading books. The library was . . . — Map (db m101227) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Magazine — Constructed in 1867
The U.S. Springfield and the British-made Enfield were the two basic firearms of the Civil War period. Both muzzleloaders had a similar .58 caliber bore, so ammunition was interchangeable. With practice, each weapon could be loaded and fired ten . . . — Map (db m101228) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Marshall County South Dakota — You Are Entering
The last county organized east of the Missouri, on May 2, 1885; it had been in Sheyenne County 1862; a gigantic Hanson 1870; coincident with Stone 1873; the north half of Day 1879 and was created by the 1885 Legislature and named for Governor . . . — Map (db m91617) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — North Barracks — Constructed in 1864
Living conditions at the Fort were crude. Wood bunks were furnished with wool blankets and mattresses filled with straw. The bunks were uncomfortable and often infested with a variety of unwelcomed guests. A poor diet of beans, cornmeal . . . — Map (db m101233) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Officers' Quarters — Constructed in 1867
Officers at Fort Wadsworth were assigned and relieved of their commissions with almost monotonous regularity. Some lasted a month or less, while others often returned to their commands. Andrew often hoped his company would be reassigned . . . — Map (db m101237) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Post Cemetery
The cemetery roster reveals countless hardships. Nine of the people interred in this cemetery succumbed to typhoid, and four to consumption (tuberculosis). Two each died by fever, drowning, freezing, bronchitis, pneumonia, meningitis and . . . — Map (db m101226) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Quartermaster and Commissary Building
The log building had a shingled roof and was 145' long and 24' wide. A storage cellar sat under on-third of the building. While large, the building was not well constructed. Rain and snow blew through the roof and damaged supplies. When . . . — Map (db m101230) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Senator Curt Jones and Fort Sisseton
Curt Jones loved history for a lot of reasons. He saw history as a collection of great stories that can be told and retold. He saw history as a book of lessons to be learned. Most of all, he saw history as an experience that you can keep only if . . . — Map (db m103086) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — South Barracks — Constructed in 1864
Soldiers spent much of their off duty time playing chess, checkers and card games. Drinking and gambling were commonplace. Stag dances became popular and helped to counteract the loneliness and isolation they experienced at this frontier post. . . . — Map (db m101231) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — The Laundress Quarters
The log buildings along the south side of the fort were used as officers quarters in the early years of the fort. When the brick officers' quarters were completed the log buildings became married enlisted men's and laundress quarters. . . . — Map (db m101234) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — This Fort is for the Birds
The prairie pothole lakes region that surrounds Fort Sisseton is a haven for birds. Birds and waterfowl were found in abundance when the military arrived at Fort Sisseton. In 1868 and 1869, Fort surgeon Dr. B. Knickerbocker recorded 44 species of . . . — Map (db m101243) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Wealth of Wildlife — Fort Sisseton State Park
The Coteau des Prairies and glacial lakes region was a wonderful habitat for wildlife. The post surgeon, who also served as the post naturalist, kept records of the wildlife he observed. Through his records, we learn that human interference has . . . — Map (db m101727) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Langford — First Presbyterian Church
Former Site of First Presbyterian Church Langford, South Dakota 1896 - 1997 — Map (db m101258) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Humboldt — Hartman, 1899 - 1916 — 20 Rods West
Townsite of Hartman was homesteaded in 1878 by John Hartmann, Sr. Town started in January 1899. Hans J. Johnson, Postmaster & General Store; Charles F. Bartling, Creamery; Jarvis W. Phelps, Blacksmith; John and Carl Johnson, Farm Implements; John . . . — Map (db m93588) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Humboldt — Pumpkin Center
Front On plains where Native Americans once hunted vast herds of buffalo, a country general store called Wellington Corner sprang up at this location in 1921. The first building, which became the ice house, was constructed by Luther and . . . — Map (db m93596) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Sioux Falls — Children's Care Hospital & School
Side 1 In the first half of the 20th century, periodic epidemics of polio rattled the nation with waves of critically ill patients, terrified parents, and overwhelmed hospitals. The polio virus attacked the nervous system, causing . . . — Map (db m101278) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Sioux Falls — Columbus College
Front Columbus College began in 1909 in Chamberlain. S. Dak., and operated there for 12 years. With the inspiration of Bishop Thomas O'Gorman, the all-male prep school, high school, and college were moved to Sioux Falls and reopened in . . . — Map (db m92174) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Sioux Falls — Department of Veterans Affairs
Front Near the beginning of the 19th century two wars were fought in two widely separated Spanish possessions. Men from South Dakota were federal combatants in both conflicts. The 1898 Spanish-American War was fought in Cuba, only 90 miles . . . — Map (db m92196) HM
South Dakota (Minnehaha County), Valley Springs — Tri-State Marker
1859 Set at the junction of the states of Minnesota, Iowa and Dakota Territory by the Federal Land Office survey of Minnesota 's western boundary. Early 1900's Removed after partial destruction by vandals. 1938 Repaired . . . — Map (db m102486) HM
South Dakota (Moody County), Egan — The Lone Tree
Here on the Highway, in front of this marker stood the "Lone Tree" for more than two generations. It was planted a mere cottonwood seedling in the hole left by pulling out the original survey stake (surveyed in September 1869 by Levi P. Drake and . . . — Map (db m101293) HM
South Dakota (Moody County), Egan — Veteran's Memorial Park
All Gave Some Some Gave All In Honor of All Veterans Past Present and Future — Map (db m102787) WM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Corona — First German Baptist Church
First German Baptist Church of Corona, South Dakota Organized March 14, 1911 Charter Members Enno & Anna Reiter Enoch & Alida Block Anton & Flora Block Reinhold & Grace Koenigsberg William & Louise Schmidt August Loof William & Wilhelmina Sprung . . . — Map (db m90545) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), New Effington — Glacial Lakes Rest Area
South Dakota's rich western heritage has been remembered along the interstate highway system at safety rest areas and tourist information centers. The eight pillars which thrust skyward here merge in the framework of a tipi, the Plains Indian . . . — Map (db m93243) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Ortley — Day County South Dakota — You Are Entering
Created west of the Sisseton Reservation Line, surveyed in 1869; from Greeley (South) and Stone (North) so named in 1873; by the Legislature of 1879; it was named for Merritt H. Day of Turner County, a member. Before that, its area had been in a . . . — Map (db m91412) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Ortley — Roberts County South Dakota — You Are Entering
Long the home of Sisseton, Wahpeton & Cuthead Yanktonaise Sioux, it became part of Deuel & Cheyenne Counties in 1862; Deuel extending N to 46th parallel (4 miles N) in 1872. The Reservation extending S to Lake Kampeska in a giant flatiron was . . . — Map (db m91411) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Sisseton — Scandia — Lutheran Free Church
Organized Jan 17, 1898 Built 1910 Merged with Faith Lutheran At New Effington SD 1963 Pastors that served Rev. K.N. Rudie 1898 - 1911 Rev. H.O. Lee 1911 - 1916 Rev. Edw Erickson 1916 - 1923 Rev. Christ Iverson 1924 - 1928 Rev. . . . — Map (db m101261) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Sisseton — Two Brothers
A grove of tall, stately pine trees two miles north of this marker whisper the tale of two Dakota Indian brothers, Clarence and Joseph Grey, who died in an early winter snowstorm in November 1958, while trapping along the coteau. Their bodies were . . . — Map (db m91446) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Sisseton — Two Companions
The Dakota winter of 1937 stretched out too long for farm boys Charles Almos and Clayton Week. They lived with their parents on the Coteau des Prairies eight and ten miles west of Sisseton. During their high school years, the boys shared room and . . . — Map (db m91444) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Sisseton — Two Sisters
On a pleasant winter day, January 6, 1903, Knut Throndson, an 1892 homesteader from Hellingdal, Norway, decided to visit his closest neighbors, Tobias and Bertha Herigstad, who lived less than a quarter mile east of this spot. Knut's wife, Caroline, . . . — Map (db m91445) HM
South Dakota (Roberts County), Wilmont — Whetstone Valley Rest Area
You are standing on top of the Coteau des Prairies (Hills of the Prairies) overlooking the rich Whetstone Valley. This landscape was carved out some 20,000 years ago by a massive glacier which extended approximately 2,000 feet above where you now . . . — Map (db m91421) HM
South Dakota (Sanborn County), Forestburg — Forestburg Roadside Park — Along the Old Dacotah Trail
Long before the white man, an Indian Trail from the sanctuary at Pipestone Quarry to the "Three Rivers of the Sioux" near Ft. Thompson passed closely by. The whiteman's first road in Dakota, the Ft. Ridgely & South Pass Wagon Road, forded the James . . . — Map (db m92696) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Doland — Dennis and Duane Koslowski
Dennis Koslowski 1977 Graduated Doland H.S. NCAA DIVISION III CHAMPION 1980 New London, Conn 1982 Cortland, New York NATIONAL GRECO–ROMAN CHAMPION 1983 Chicago, Ill. 1985 Grand Valley, Mich. 1986 Lacross, Wi. . . . — Map (db m101951) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Doland — Doland South Dakota Veterans' Memorial — In Honor of Those Who Served
"All Gave Some, Some Gave All" — Map (db m101734) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Doland — Hubert H. Humphrey
1929 Graduated from Doland High School 1945 Mayor of Minneapolis, Minnesota 1949 to 1965 United States Senate 1961 Assistant Senate Majority Leader 1964 Elected 38th Vice President of the United States 1968 Democratic Nominee for the . . . — Map (db m101950) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Abbie Gardner
. . . — Map (db m102060) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Council Rock — Indian Capitol of the Dakotas
The Sioux tribes established, near here, Council Rock as a central meeting place for all the bands. Using a black oviate rock measuring 6” x 11” surrounded by a circle of stones 15 feet in diameter, representatives of each tribe sat . . . — Map (db m102059) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Pheasant History — First successful stocking of pheasants in South Dakota
Readfield's claim as the Pheasant Capital of the World dates back to 1908. The first successful stocking of pheasants in South Dakota took place in June, 1908 when H.P. Packard, H.J. Schalke and H.A. Hagman secured three pairs of pheasants from . . . — Map (db m102058) HM
South Dakota (Spink County), Redfield — Redfield Carnegie Library
This Property has been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m102061) HM
South Dakota (Stanley County), Hayes — Early Western Highway
Fur trade route from Missouri River, Ft. Tecumseh (Pierre) to Ft. William (1832). John (1834) later Laramie via Badlands Pass S of Scenic and White and Niobrara Rivers. Harney’s Expedition (1855) to overawe the Sioux and 1876-88 Stage and Wagon . . . — Map (db m101294) HM
South Dakota (Stanley County), Hayes — Plum Creek Waterhole
was best in the territory over 100 years ago. At that time there was a telegraph station, a road ranch, & the Deadwood Stage changed horses here. 3 famous old trails crossed here - Deadwood Trail - Ft Bennet Army trail to Neb. - Cherrycreek Indian . . . — Map (db m101276) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — A Land of Plenty
Beginning their journey on a diet of salt pork, lard with flour, and Indian meal (ground corn), Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and the other members of the Corps of Discovery, went on to taste nearly everything the West had to offer - through . . . — Map (db m100915) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — Elk Point
Lewis & Clark camped here and said much ‘elk sign’ on August 22, 1804 and held first election in northwest that evening. In 1856, the Sioux City-Ft. Randall Military Road passed hereby. Eli Wixson arrived on 22 July 1859 and built a log . . . — Map (db m100896) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — Entering an Uncertain Land
The Missouri River Valley, up to this location, was well-known to French and British fur trappers. For decades, trappers navigated down the Big Sioux River and the lower Missouri toward St. Louis. Due to the intimidating presence of the Yankton . . . — Map (db m100914) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — Giants in the Earth Country — Ole Edvart Rolvaag's First Home in America, 1896-1898
When the famous Norwegian-American novelist Rolvaag (1876-1931) came to America, he worked on the 200-acre farm of Severt Eidem (NE quarter, Section 12, and 40 acres, Section 1, Brule Township), two miles north of this corner. Rolvaag's first book . . . — Map (db m101251) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — Lewis & Clark Campsite / Eli Wixson Farm Site
Lewis & Clark Campsite The Missouri River has carved many channels in its history. One such channel curved through the western edge of Elk Point creating the area now known as Heritage Park. On August 22, 1804, Captain William Clark . . . — Map (db m100821) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — Return to "Elk Sign" Campsite
The Corps of Discovery returned to this location after a two-year absence on September 3, 1806. Meriwether Lewis and William Clark found their "Elk sign" campsite occupied by James Aird, a Scottish fur trader. They pressed him eagerly for news . . . — Map (db m100912) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — St. Paul Lutheran Church — One and one-fourth miles
Stately church edifices frequently have humble beginnings and so with St. Paul Lutheran Church, one of South Dakota's finest. The humble log church pictured hereon was erected in 1867 by the members of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation . . . — Map (db m92706) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — The Lewis and Clark Expedition
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery" to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired . . . — Map (db m100917) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Elk Point — U.S. Democracy Crosses the Mississippi River
While camped at the "Elk Sign" campsite on August 22, 1804, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark acted to replace Sergeant Charles Floyd, who had taken ill and died two days earlier. They called for the Corps of Discovery to vote on . . . — Map (db m100916) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Jefferson — Grasshopper Cross
The Huge wooden cross in the cemetery, replaced the rude one erected on that day in May, 1876, when Father Pierre Boucher led his pilgrimage of Catholic & Protestant marchers back to Jefferson, after an eleven mile trek seeking Divine Intervention . . . — Map (db m92759) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Jefferson — St. Peter's Church — Jefferson
The vicinity of Jefferson, even before the organization of Dakota Territory in 1861, was a French - Canadian community and Catholic services were held sporadically prior to the advent of Father Pierre Boucher in 1867. In 1862 a small log building . . . — Map (db m92762) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Richland — Fort Brule
This granite block erected by the Old Settlers Association of Union County, South Dakota, marks the site of Fort Brule Built in 1862 by soldiers and settlers as protection against renegade and hostile Indians. Abandoned in 1868 Dismantled . . . — Map (db m93600) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Richland — Richland Methodist Episcopal Church — 1/4 Mile ->
Rev. S.W. Ingham, a travelling Missionary, in 1861 baptized Minnesota Watson, daughter of Thomas and Adeline Watson, who with A.J. Bell and wife were its earliest members in the Brule Creek community. The Indian War of the Outbreak in August 1862 . . . — Map (db m93599) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Spink — St. Mary's Catholic Church — Garryowen, South Dakota
Front The first parish in Garryowen was organized in 1879. St. Mary's Church and cemetery were located together on five acres of land donated by Patrick Mahan. The church eventually became too small for a growing community and a larger . . . — Map (db m93597) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Vermillion — Homestead Rest Area
The rich farm country of southeast South Dakota lies in the triangle formed as the Missouri River, to the west, and the Big Sioux River, east of here, flow toward their confluence about 37 miles southeast of this point. This was the land that drew . . . — Map (db m92824) HM
South Dakota (Union County), Vermillion — The Great Missouri River — Missouri National Recreational River
The Missouri, the continent's longest river, figures prominently in the unfolding of America's saga. Flowing nearby in its 2,341 - mile course from the Rocky Mountains to the Mississippi, the Big Muddy is not only loaded with sediment but steeped in . . . — Map (db m92825) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — "Fool Soldier Band" — Dedicated to the Indian People in Honor of the
In 1882, a dramatic rescue of white captives held by a band of hostile Santee Sioux, took place near this spot. A group of eleven young Teton Sioux boys left Ft. Pierre on a cold November day determined to overtake and meet with the . . . — Map (db m112090) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — "MO.Bridge"
In 1906, one hundred years after the Lewis and Clark Expedition passed through this area, Milwaukee Railroad crews labored to build a bridge across the Missouri River. They carefully worked, balancing themselves on high metal beams as the . . . — Map (db m112089) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — "Sakakawea and Lewis & Clark"
One of the most notable women in American History may well be Sakakawea. A Shoshoni Indian girl named Sakakawea, acted as an interpreter while traveling with the Corps of Discovery on their way to and from the Pacific Ocean. As the Corps headed . . . — Map (db m112141) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — "the track of the white bear"
Near present-day Mobridge, South Dakota, Captain William Clark wrote in his journal that he saw "White bear" tracks. These tracks, which are "…3 times as large as a mans track…" were actually from a grizzly bear. During the entire . . . — Map (db m112150) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — "they just did a man's job"
During the Indian uprisings in Minnesota in 1862, a band of Santee Sioux Indians took several white women and children captive. They brought them to an area near here, opposite the mouth of the Grand River in present-day Walworth County, South . . . — Map (db m112137) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — A Final Resting Place
In 1806, not long after Lewis and Clark passed through this area, a young man was born in a Village near the Grand River (near present-day Mobridge, South Dakota). This young man, known as Sitting Bull, was a famous Sioux medicine man and . . . — Map (db m112116) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — A Valuable Member of the Team
Captain William Clark enlisted his slave, York, as one of the members of the Corps of Discovery. York grew up in Virginia with Clark and traveled with the party during the entire journey to the Pacific Ocean and back to St. Louis, Missouri. . . . — Map (db m112155) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Ensign Nathaniel Pryor
Here on Sept. 9, 1807 Ensign Nathaniel Pryor attempting of return Big White, Mandan Chief, to his people was stopped and had 19 Casualties in the First battle with Indians in South Dakota. — Map (db m112092) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — History Beneath the Waters
A bit of history lies under the water behind Oahe Dam. Before the dam was built many islands and sandbars were commonly found along the Missouri River. When the Corps of Discovery traveled along this river on the way to the Pacific Ocean they . . . — Map (db m112088) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Honored Leaders
Leadership in the American Indian culture is much different than the Euro-American views. Unlike the Euro-American concept of a formal majority vote to select a leader, American Indians were made leaders by those who simply chose to follow them. . . . — Map (db m112118) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Lewis & Clark
Here on October 9-12, 1804 Lewis & Clark counseled and sojourned with the Aricara Indians and were again here on their return from the Pacific on August 21-22, 1806. — Map (db m112106) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Lewis & Clark meet the Arikaras
By the 1500s, the descendants of the Skiri Pawnee People, the Arikara (or Ree) Indians, inhabited this area. Twelve village bands lived along the Missouri River in present-day South Dakota. Three of the villages were near the mouth of the . . . — Map (db m112108) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Lewis and Clark Expedition
In 1804-06, Captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark led about 40 soldiers and boatmen on an epic journey. President Thomas Jefferson commissioned this "Corps of Discovery' to find a route to the Pacific Ocean through the newly acquired . . . — Map (db m112122) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Lewis and Clark/Mobridge
Lewis and Clark The Lewis a nd Clark Expedition, officially the Corps of Discovery, was in what is now South Dakota from August 21 to October 14, 1804 and from August 21 to September 4, 1806. While here they would make numerous . . . — Map (db m112145) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Mobridge Bridge — 1924
1924 Mobridge Bridge Dedicated to The People of South Dakota November 12, 1924 Built under the Direction of The State Highway Commission Governor W.H. McMaster - Chairman Made possible by loans to the State of South Dakota . . . — Map (db m112105) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — Pierre Choteau
Here on Sept. 12, 1809 Pierre Choteau Managed to Pass the Aricara with Big White. Here in June - July 1811 Manuel Lisa & Astorians joined forced, Pacified and traded with the Aricara — Map (db m112107) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Mobridge — River of Hardship
This wide, low moving, Missouri River of today is quite different from when the Corps of Discovery navigated in then torrent waters in 1804. Lewis and Clark fought against the strong current, using ropes to pull the boat upstream. By the time . . . — Map (db m112114) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Selby — The Mickelson Governors
George T. was born to George and Emma on a farm south of Selby in 1903. He received his education here and at the University of SD graduating with a law degree in 1927. Madge Turner and he were married in 1928. While operating his own law firm . . . — Map (db m112048) HM
South Dakota (Walworth County), Selby — Walworth County, South Dakota Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all Veterans Men & Women Through Peace or War Their Memories will Never Die They fought Honor to our Country And Promise to our Dreams Walworth County Veterans Memorial Sponsored by Frederick Schauer Legion Post . . . — Map (db m112047) WM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — In Defense of the Nation
In World War II, over 450 members of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAACs) were assigned to a secret experiment. It called for the creation of coastal gun battery, comprised of both men and women, with the mission to protect the Military . . . — Map (db m101960) HM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — Pallas Athene
Greek Goddess- wise in the arts of war and industries of peace. She led through victory to peace and prosperity. — Map (db m101961) WM
Virginia (Prince George County), Fort Lee — Woman Warrior
This warrior figure is a tribute to all Army women who have served in defense of our nation. She represents their sacrifices, dedication and loyalty. Dedicated on Veteran's Day 2013. Funded with contributions made to the Friends . . . — Map (db m101963) WM

410 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 210
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.