Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

3164 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 2964
 
Cold Harbor Walking Trail image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, March 9, 2009
Cold Harbor Walking Trail
Idaho (Shoshone County), Avery — Laboring in Luxury
For the price of a Pullman ticket, a common rail passenger could be waited upon and pampered in the grand manner of privileged gentry. The Pullman porter provided the labor for that luxury… After the Civil War, the Pullman Palace . . . — Map (db m45648) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Avery — The 1910 Fires
One of the largest forest fires in the history of the United States ...swept over Idaho and Montana on August 20 and 21, 1910, including the area where you now stand. The fire burned three million acres, destroyed eight billion . . . — Map (db m45615) HM
Idaho (Shoshone County), Avery — The Mighty Quills
The Unknown Locomotive Called the “unkown” locomotive by some rail enthusiasts, few people now recognize the heavyweight of the Milwaukee’s Rocky Mountain Division, the Baldwin-Westinghouse EP-3. Between 1919 and . . . — Map (db m45630) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Jean Baptiste Beaubien
On this site, then the lake shore, Jean Baptiste Beaubien, Chicago's second civilian, in 1817, built a “mansion” to which he brought his bride, Josette LaFramboise. It remained their home until 1845. — Map (db m72205) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — The Water Tower & Great Chicago FireNear North Area Map
The Chicago Water Tower was erected in 1869 and housed a 138-foot-high standpipe, three feet in diameter, which equalized pressure and controlled the water flowing through the mains throughout the City. Fortunately, the tower was solidly constructed . . . — Map (db m81430) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Perryville — “If You Meet the Enemy, Overpower Him”Perryville — The Battle for Kentucky October 8, 1862
About 4 PM on October 8, Colonel Samuel Powell was ordered to move his brigade westward and discover how many Federal troops were stationed west of Perryville. His 1,000-man force dutifully advanced along the Springfield Pike (today US 150 and 4th . . . — Map (db m46416) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Perryville — Assault on Parsons’ RidgePerryville — The Battle for Kentucky October 8, 1862
Maney’s Confederates immediately discovered the lethal danger of attacking the eight Union cannon on top of the ridge in front of you. The Confederates sought cover behind a split-rail fence, but the Union artillery shattered the rails, killing and . . . — Map (db m46469) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Perryville — 193 — Crawford House
Used by Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg as headquarters during the Battle of Perryville, Oct. 8, 1862. Crawford Spring, back of the house, furnished vital water supply to CSA troops on the drought stricken battlefield. — Map (db m46248) HM
Kentucky (Boyle County), Perryville — 194 — Russell House
On the knoll, it was a key position on the Union left flank under Maj. Gen. McCook in Battle of Perryville, Oct. 8, 1862. The scene of desperate fighting, it changed hands twice and was hit many times. After the battle it was used as a hospital. — Map (db m46355) HM
Kentucky (Franklin County), Frankfort — 106 — Frankfort
Site surveyed July 16, 1773. Founded by General James Wilkinson. Chartered by Virginia Legislature Oct., 1786. Chosen Capital of Kentucky December 1792. — Map (db m62242) HM
Kentucky (Nelson County), Bardstown — 1021 — An Early Turnpike / Mile Stones, ca. 1835
An Early Turnpike The Bardstown Louisville Turnpike Company, chartered by the Kentucky Legislature in 1831, was capitalized at $130,000, increased to $200,000. Shares owned half by individuals, half by state. Turnpike completed July 1, . . . — Map (db m72337) HM
Maryland (Charles County), Indian Head — Railroad at Naval Proving Ground — Indian Head Rail Trail
The Indian Head White Plains Railroad, which became the current rail trail, connected to an internal railroad system at the Indian Head Naval Proving Ground. The existing railroad system at Indian Head reflects four periods: of development: Naval . . . — Map (db m98545) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Big Pool — "Old Fort Frederick"
During the American War for Independence Fort Frederick was revitalized for military purposes. The Continental Congress turned the fort into a prison camp to house captured British soldiers. As a result the fort became extremely overcrowded, and . . . — Map (db m96137) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Beauvoir
Built 1852-4. Last home of Jefferson Davis, U.S. Senator, Congressman, Secretary of War, and only President of Confederacy. Beauvoir served as a Confederate Veterans' home from 1903 until 1956. — Map (db m92604) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — Plunkett's Hardware
High transom windows that provide interior light for a mezzanine commercial display area are an interesting design feature of this well-constructed commercial building. The simple chain-patterned ornamentation of buff brick across the tall parapet . . . — Map (db m45419) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — The Beartooth Plateau
The Beartooth Plateau contains some of the oldest exposed rocks on Earth and provides a unique window into the history of our planet. About 55 million years ago, this massive block of metamorphic basement rock pushed its way upward nearly two miles . . . — Map (db m45251) HM
Montana (Carbon County), Red Lodge — The Red Lodge Country
According to tradition, a band of Crow Indians left the main tribe and moved west into the foothills of the Beartooth Range many years ago. They painted their council tepee with red-clay and this old-time artistry resulted in the name Red Lodge. . . . — Map (db m45247) HM
North Carolina (Bertie County), Windsor — Engagement at WindsorAction on the Cashie River
To disrupt Confederate recruiting efforts here in Windsor, the Bertie County seat, three Federal transports steamed from Plymouth on the night of January 29, 1864, under U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Charles W Flusser. USS Whitehead and USS . . . — Map (db m60627) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), South Mills — Battle of South MillsFight for the Canal — Burnside Expedition
Early in 1862, Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside led an expedition to secure the coast of North Carolina and occupy strategically important sites such as New Bern and Elizabeth City. After Burnside learned of the March 9 clash between USS . . . — Map (db m56761) HM
North Carolina (Chowan County), Edenton — A 25 — First Post Road
The road from New England to Charleston, over which mail was first carried regularly in North Carolina, 1738-39, passed near this spot. — Map (db m79793) HM
North Carolina (Chowan County), Edenton — A 69 — Francis Corbin(d) 1767
Granville agent, jurist, legislator. Provoked "Enfield Riot." Home, "the Cupola House, " 2 blks. S. — Map (db m34801) HM
North Carolina (Chowan County), Edenton — A 50 — James Iredell, Jr1788~1853
Governor, 1827~28; U.S. Senator; and legislator. Compiler of revisal of N.C. laws. His home two blocks south; grave at Hayes one mile S.E. — Map (db m34851) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Point Harbor — Currituck SoundAvenue of War
For many years before the war, Currituck Sound was a busy avenue of commerce sheltered from the Atlantic Ocean by the Outer Banks. Vessels carried produce and goods between North Carolina and Virginia. After hostilities began, the sound became . . . — Map (db m56980) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manns Harbor — Purple Martin Bridge Roost
(panel 1) Welcome to Manns Harbor Purple Martin Bridge Roost The Outer Banks of North Carolina are famous for beautiful beaches and other natural attractions, including a fascinating roost of purple martins here at William B. . . . — Map (db m57094) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — Site of First Courthouse
. . . — Map (db m60691) HM
North Carolina (Halifax County), Halifax — The Sally Billy House
Constructed around 1808 for a Halifax County planter named Lewis Bond, this house was originally located near Scotland Neck. In 1834, William “Billy” Ruffin Smith Sr. and his wife Sarah, or “Sally” bought it. Smith, a county . . . — Map (db m60688) HM
North Carolina (New Hanover County), Kure Beach — Fort Fisher’s Armstrong Cannon
The most effective gun in the fort. – Col. William Lamb, Fort Fisher commander The Confederacy relied heavily on English artillery during the Civil War. A variety of English cannons, including Whitworths and Blakelys, were imported . . . — Map (db m28682) HM
North Carolina (New Hanover County), Kure Beach — Headquarters of Fort Fisher
Here stood the Headquarters of Fort Fisher. The construction of the fort began in the summer of 1862 under the direction of Colonel William Lamb Commandant, who with General W.H.C. Whiting and Major James Reilly served until the fort was . . . — Map (db m28635) HM
North Carolina (Northampton County), Rich Square — Gen. Walter E. BoomerU.S.M.C.
Born in Rich Square, General Boomer was Commanding General, Marine Central Command and First Marine Expeditionary force during Persian Gulf War 1990-91. Defended Saudia Arabia then led 90,00 Marines in battle to liberate Kuwait and to defeat the . . . — Map (db m60656) WM
North Carolina (Pasquotank County), Elizabeth City — A Town DividedThe Burning of Elizabeth City
(sidebar) During the Civil War, neither the North nor the South was totally united over the key issues. Just as some Northerners supported slavery and secession, some Southerners were abolitionist and Unionists. These issues could split . . . — Map (db m56797) HM
North Carolina (Pasquotank County), Elizabeth City — 2004 — Pasquotank River
The Pasquotank River was noted in 35 runaway slave ads between 1791 to 1840, indicating that slaves (“freedom seekers”) escaped on board boats (“vessels”) traveling north to free territory or south to the West Indies, . . . — Map (db m56811) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Creswell — Davenport Homesteadcirca 1770
Colonial home of Daniel Davenport, farmer, surveyor, and first Senator from Washingtyon County. He served in the Revolutionary War. Homestead 3 miles -> — Map (db m57044) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — BB-6 — Battle of Plymouth
At 4 P.M. on April 17, 1864, an advanced Union patrol on the Washington Road (A) was captured by Confederate cavalry (B). A company of the 12th N.Y. Cavalry attacked the Confederates, but was repulsed (C). Soon a large force of Confederate infantry . . . — Map (db m56926) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Brick House Landingcirca 1711
Owned by Arthur Rhodes. From this plantation, he sectioned off one hundred acres into what is now the town of Plymouth circa 1790. — Map (db m57047) HM
North Carolina (Washington County), Plymouth — Washington County Courthouse
The first courthouse was located at Lee's Mill, Roper 1801. Moved to Plymouth 1823. It was destroyed by fire three times, 1860-1862-1881. Present courthouse built 1918. — Map (db m57062) HM
Pennsylvania (Delaware County), King of Prussia — Virginia
This marker is placed at the encampment site of regiments of the Commonwealth of Virginia to commemorate the officers and men of Virginia which area, at that time, encompassed what is now the state of West Virginia. These Virginians were wintered . . . — Map (db m77118) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — S — Bolivar Hall
Construction of Bolivar Hall was begun in 1940 and completed in 1941. The combination library, museum, and community center was dedicated to the promotion of inter-American peace, and was named in honor of South American patriot, Simon Bolivar. . . . — Map (db m82915) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — Commemorating
The 20th anniversary of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) signing ceremony which occurred in this place on October 7, 1992 between the countries of Canada, Mexico, and the United States of America. From left to right (standing) . . . — Map (db m82883) HM
Texas (Bexar County), San Antonio — K — St. Philip's College
St. Philip‘s College was begun in an adobe house just north of this building in 1898. Originally a parochial day school, it grew into a grammar and industrial school with a boarding department. This two-story brick building was constructed by the . . . — Map (db m82898) HM
Virginia (Botetourt County), Buchanan — Wilson Warehouse“Fit only for … owls and bats.” — Hunter’s Raid
(preface) On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of . . . — Map (db m55775) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Alberta — S-65 — Old Brunswick Courthouse
Here the first courthouse of Brunswick County was built about 1732. In 1746, when the county was divided, the county seat was moved east near Thomasburg. In 1783, after Greensville County had been formed, the courthouse was moved to Lawrenceville. — Map (db m20180) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — 41 — Fort ChristannaLawrenceville, Virginia — Brunswick County
In 1714, at Governor Alexander Spotswood’s urging, the Virginia General Assembly funded the Virginia Indian Company, charged with building a fort on the banks of the Meherrin River in what would become Brunswick County. The fort would provide . . . — Map (db m20197) HM
Virginia (Buckingham County), Buckingham — 4 — One-Room SchoolhouseBuckingham, Virginia — Buckingham County
Union Grove School is representative of the many one-room schools for African-American students in Buckingham County and throughout the area. The African-American members of the community built Union Grove around 1925, and like most schools, it . . . — Map (db m21148) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — BarnettsCharles City County, Virginia
This community acquired its name from the Barnett family and was once a major commercial center for the western end of the county. The area has been served by the post offices of Bradley's Store (1879-1911) and Barnett's (est. 1911). At the time of . . . — Map (db m29154) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Binns HallCharles City County, Virginia
This community was named for the structure which housed the post office and dance hall, built in 1886 by O.P. Binns at the terminus of an old road that led to the Chickahominy River farms Cedar Forest, Cyprus Banks, the home of the Stubblefield . . . — Map (db m18593) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Old Quaker Settlement - Adkins StoreCharles City County, Virginia
This community was the site of a Quaker settlement in the eighteenth century and the Weyanoke Quaker Meeting House and graveyard. The meetinghouse was the Upper Quarter gathering place for the Yearly Meeting of Virginia Quaker. The area has since . . . — Map (db m26328) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Piney GroveThe Front Line and the Home Front
In Virginia, the “Home Front” and the “Front Line” were often just miles apart during the Civil War. In places such as Charles City County families provided their men for troops and also lost the income from their . . . — Map (db m18589) HM
Virginia (Charles City County), Charles City — Stuart's RideSafe among Friends and Family — 1862 Peninsula Campaign
In May 1862, Union Gen. George B. McClellan led the Army of the Potomac up the Peninsula to the gates of Richmond. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia in June and began planning a counterattack. On June . . . — Map (db m61881) HM
Virginia (Charlotte County), Red Oak — Z-44 — Charlotte County / Mecklenburg County
(Obverse) Charlotte County Area 496 Square Miles Formed in 1764 from Lunenburg, and named for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. Patrick Henry and John Randolph of Roanoke lived in this county, and Henry is buried here. . . . — Map (db m31876) HM
Virginia, Chesapeake — The Marshall Family
The Thomas Marshall family lived in the backwoods of the Virginia frontier. Thomas Marshall of Fauquier County served as a vestryman, High Sheriff, and member of the House of Burgesses. He was a close boyhood friend of George Washington, . . . — Map (db m54954) HM
Virginia, Chesapeake — WelcomeTo the Great Bridge Battlefield & Waterways Park and Visitor Center
The Battle of Great Bridge, in 1775, influenced everything you see today. Location, lives and legends are all here. A. Great Bridge Lock Park Enjoy a boat ramp, playground, picnic shelters and the many inviting vistas. Walk the . . . — Map (db m48955) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Chester — K-199 — Farrar's Island
In 1611, Farrar's Island was the site of the "Citie of Henrico," one of Virginia's first four primary settlement areas under the Virginia Company of London. Later, it was part of a 2,000-acre land patent issued posthumously to William Farrar in . . . — Map (db m16018) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Chester — K 202-a — Opposunoquonuske
In 1607, Opposunoquonuske, sister of the Appamattuck Indian chief Coquonasum, headed an Appamattuck town on the James River at the mouth of the Appomattox. On 24 May 1607, Opposunoquonuske received a party of Englishmen in a stately fashion, greatly . . . — Map (db m54254) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Chester — S-18 — The "Bottle"
Here in 1864 on the Bermuda Hundred peninsula between the James and Appomattox Rivers, the Union Army of the James, commanded by Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, was "bottled up" by Confederate Gen. P. G. T. Beauregard, defender of Petersburg. The . . . — Map (db m17118) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Chester — The Bermuda Hundred Campaign
This is a fragment from the breech of a 5.8 inch “Sawyer Gun”. This gun was located at Battery Sawyer, a Federal gun position across the river to your front where the River’s Bend community is today. This gun burst on August 5, 1864 . . . — Map (db m87592) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Colonial Heights — S-24 — Advance on Petersburg
Elements of the Union Army of the James, led by Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler, landed at Bermuda Hundred on 5 May 1864 to cut the Confederate rail and supply lines between Richmond and Petersburg. On 9 May, Butler sent divisions to Port Walthall . . . — Map (db m17121) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Colonial Heights — Howlett Line Park
Following the Battle of Ware Bottom Church on May 20, 1864, Confederate forces began digging the earthworks that would become known as the Howlett Line. Named after the Howlett house, which stood at the northernmost point, the line stretched across . . . — Map (db m16096) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Midlothian — O-34 — Black Heath
Half a mile north stood Black Heath, later owned by Captain John Heth, officer in Continental Army, whose son, Henry Heth, Major-General C.S.A., was born here in 1825. Coal of high quality was mined here. — Map (db m19043) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Richmond — A Permanent Post
By 1863 the Drewry’s Bluff post expanded into a military city. Hundreds of Confederate soldiers, sailors, and Marines camped on these grounds. The Confederate States Naval Academy held classes in buildings and aboard the side-wheeled steamer CSS . . . — Map (db m46891) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Richmond — Cary’s Mill Overlookcirca 1750 — Falling Creek Ironworks Park
Archibald Cary established an iron forge on the south bank of Falling Creek in 1750. The Chesterfield forge, as it was known, converted pig iron into bar iron. Initially unprofitable and shut down, the forge would be restarted and become . . . — Map (db m101039) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Richmond — Old Westham Bridge
The road ahead once led to a stone and steel bridge that connected the 20th century community of Southampton behind you with the colonial village of Westham on the north shore. Prior to its construction, the closest car link between Henrico . . . — Map (db m23938) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Skinquarter — M-10 — Goode's Bridge
Here Anthony Wayne took station in July, 1781, to prevent the British from moving southward. Here, April 3, 1865, Longstreet's, Hill's and Gordon's corps of Lee's army, retreating from Petersburg toward Danville, crossed the river. — Map (db m18876) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Colonial Heights War Memorial
Dedicated in memory of the men of Colonial Heights who gave their lives in the service of their country World War II 1941 ··· 1945 Sponsored by Colonial Heights Post No. 284 The American Legion Percy M. Adkins . . . — Map (db m57276) WM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — Fort CliftonA stronghold that was never taken
Fort Clifton, constructed between 1862 and 1864, helped protect the city of Petersburg from Union gunboats. Its high elevation and well-placed gun embrasures made Fort Clifton a stronghold that was never taken by Union forces until it was abandoned . . . — Map (db m17075) HM
Virginia, Colonial Heights — The Old Brick (Kennon) House
A prosperous Bermuda Hundred merchant, Richard Kennon was in Virginia prior to 1670 and represented Henrico County several times in the House of Burgesses. Kennon married Elizabeth Worsham in 1675 and settled here on Conjurer's Neck after . . . — Map (db m103890) HM
Virginia (Cumberland County), Cartersville — ON-5 — Campaign of 1781
Early in June 1781, Maj. Gen. Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben saved some military stores at Point of Fork from British troops and then retreated south to Staunton River before being called to join Lafayette's forces. On 16 June Steuben crossed to the . . . — Map (db m18357) HM
Virginia, Danville — Archer T. Gammon(1918 – 1945)
This bridge is dedicated in memory of Archer T. Gammon who distinguished himself on January 11, 1945, in the infamous Battle of the Bulge. While pinned down by enemy gunfire, he advanced and caused enemy resistance to weaken, allowing his platoon to . . . — Map (db m66254) HM WM
Virginia (Dinwiddie County), Dinwiddie — S-62 — Campaign of 1781
The British cavalryman Tarleton, returning to Cornwallis from a raid to Bedford, passed near here, July, 1781. — Map (db m17704) HM
Virginia (Dinwiddie County), Ford — Ford's DepotThe Destruction Begins — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m18840) HM
Virginia, Emporia — UM-39 — Benjamin D. Tillar, Jr.
Benjamin Donaldson Tillar, Jr. (1853-1887), a Greensville County native, president of the Atlantic and Danville Railroad, and member of the House of Delegates, is known as "the man who named Emporia." Two villages, Hicksford and Belfield, merged in . . . — Map (db m18936) HM
Virginia, Emporia — UM-43 — Bishop William McKendree
William McKendree was born in King William County in 1757. He soon moved with his family to present-day Greensville County, and later served in the Revolutionary War. In 1786, the county licensed him to keep a tavern at his house (12 miles south). . . . — Map (db m18943) HM
Virginia, Emporia — UM-53 — General Edward E. Goodwyn
Edward Everard Goodwyn was born in Greensville Co. on 26 Sept. 1874. An Emporia businessman and civic leader, he also commanded the Virginia American Legion (1922-1923) and was a member of its National Executive Committee (1923-1925). Goodwyn served . . . — Map (db m18957) HM
Virginia, Emporia — Village View"Apple Jack" Raid
Just west of you is the railbed of the original Petersburg and Weldon Railroad, a major supply line to the Confederate army in Petersburg and Richmond. Because of its importance, the Union army made an effort to destroy the line here at Hicksford . . . — Map (db m18843) HM
Virginia (Essex County), Dunnsville — N-24 — Fort Lowry-Camp Byron
Located two miles N.E. on Rappahannock River at Lowry’s Point was a Confederate eight gun “water battery” constructed in 1861. Here at Dunnsville was located Camp Byron, home of Company F (Essex Light Dragoons), Ninth Cavalry, C.S.A.; . . . — Map (db m3081) HM
Virginia, Fredericksburg — A Canal Defines Its Neighborhood
The canal in front of you, constructed in the 1830s, was part of a navigation system that extended 50 miles up the Rappahannock River. The downstream terminus was a turning basin, in the block to your right. Several industries were located nearby, . . . — Map (db m95316) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Gloucester Point — Port of Call
Gloucester Point's geographic location has always been the county's tie to the Chesapeake Bay and beyond. In 1707, Gloucestertown was laid out on the bluff above the thriving tobacco port on the Point. In the days before the extensive road systems . . . — Map (db m30143) HM
Virginia (Gloucester County), Hayes — Woodville School
Woodville School is an important monument to Gloucester County and the African American community who strove to ensure quality education for their children in the early 20th century. Julius Rosenwald, president of Sears, Roebuck and Company, aided . . . — Map (db m30122) HM
Virginia, Hampton — AjaxUpper Stage • Army • SAM — Air Power Park Tour
Beginning from the early 1950’s into the 1960’s, during the Cold War era, concerns created the need for basing surface-to-air missiles near U.S. military installations. Built for the U.S. Army by Western Electric and initially deployed in . . . — Map (db m103957) HM
Virginia, Hampton — St. John’s ChurchThe Venerable Survivor
When Confederate Gen. John B. Magruder learned that the Federals intended to house troops and escaped slaves in Hampton, he burned down the town. Local soldiers, led by Capt. Jefferson C. Phillips, completed this “loathsome yet patriotic . . . — Map (db m33847) HM
Virginia (Hampton), Phoebus — Saint Mary Star Of The Sea And Its SchoolCatholic Education in Phoebus and Fort Monroe
The story of Saint Mary Star of the Sea School goes back to 1858 when Chapel of the Centurion was built at Fort Monroe primarily for Protestant services. A group of officers—some of Irish extraction—requested that a Catholic church also . . . — Map (db m103893) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Atlee — ND-11 — Lee’s Headquarters
Just to the east stood the Clarke house (Lockwood), wherein Gen. Robert E. Lee made his field headquarters, 28-31 May 1864. While here, and though ill, Lee deployed troops to key positions in Hanover County, including Haw's Shop, Totopotomoy Creek, . . . — Map (db m15753) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Doswell — Stop-2 — Like the Coming of a CycloneMay 24, 6:00-6:30 pm — Blue Trail
The fighting pits before you mark the positions of the skirmishers of the 2nd Georgia Battalion of General Ambrose Wright’s Brigade, defending Ox Ford. The Georgians were in a perfect position to fire into the flank of Ledlie’s . . . — Map (db m74895) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — A Deadly Delay
The Union assaults of June 3 failed on nearly all fronts. For the next three days, while Federal wounded lay untended between the lines, Generals U. S. Grant and R. E. Lee struggled over the details of a truce. On June 7, more than 100 hours after . . . — Map (db m16886) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — E-130 — Battle of Cold HarborFlag of Truce
On 5 June 1864, two hot days after Gen. Robert E. Lee's bloody repulse of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's frontal assault, Federal Lt. Col. Theodore Lyman met Confederate Maj. Thomas J. Wooten nearby on Cold Harbor Road to initiate written communication on . . . — Map (db m15667) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — O-13 — Cornwallis's Route
Gen. Charles Cornwallis and his British forces left Petersburg on 24 May 1781 to attack the Marquis de Lafayette and his troops stationed in Richmond. Learning of Cornwallis's movements, Lafayette abandoned the city on 27 May and moved north through . . . — Map (db m22373) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — Pennsylvania MonumentCold Harbor
. . . — Map (db m16285) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — PA-60 — Seven Days BattlesGaines's Mill
Stonewall Jackson reached this point in the afternoon of June 27, 1862, after a circuit of Gaines's Mill. When he learned that A. P. Hill and Longstreet to the west were hard pressed, he moved south to join in the attack. — Map (db m15464) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — The Battle OpensCold Harbor Battlefield Park Walking Trail
By mid-afternoon on June 1, 1864, Ulysses S. Grant massed 45,000 Federals near Old Cold Harbor, 800 yards east of here. At 5:00 p.m. he ordered an attack, hoping to split Lee’s army into two parts. Six veteran New Jersey regiments under Colonel . . . — Map (db m16185) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — Union Rifle Pits
These well-preserved rifle pits probably mark the far end of the Union line. The 16th Michigan Infantry or 44th New York Infantry likely built them on the morning of the battle to guard the western flank of the army. Although some Federal soldiers . . . — Map (db m16400) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Mechanicsville — WWII Memorial Wall
Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical Center Memorial Gardens & WWII Memorial Wall Made possible by a grant from the Richmond Memorial Hospital Foundation May 16, 1988 Dedicated to the Glory of God and in loving memory of . . . — Map (db m66353) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Studley — Enon ChurchThe Battle of Haw's Shop — Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign
Confederate cavalry under Gen. Wade Hampton arrived here May 28, 1864, hoping to locate the whereabouts of the Federal army. Hampton’s leading column collided with Gen. David Gregg’s Union cavalry division near the Haw’s Shop crossroads, one mile in . . . — Map (db m15781) HM
Virginia (Hanover County), Taylorsville — E-20 — Lee’s Movements
A short distance east, at Taylorsville, Lee had his headquarters, May 24–26, 1864, as his army moved southeastward to intervene between Grant and Richmond. There Ewell’s Corps turned to Cold Harbor, May 27, 1864. — Map (db m10641) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — General Turner Ashby of Fauquier
. . . — Map (db m14281) HM
Virginia, Harrisonburg — McNeill’s Rangers“Hurah for McNeal”
Harrisonburg is associated with the exploits of McNeill’s Rangers, a famous Confederate partisan unit. In 1862, John Hanson McNeill, a native of Hardy County in present-day West Virginia, recruited men for Co. E, 18th Virginia Cavalry. With McNeill . . . — Map (db m39331) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Henrico — HC3 — Bethlehem Baptist Church
In 1828, nine people organized a Sunday school in a log schoolhouse, five miles from the Richmond City limits. Students from the Virginia Baptist Seminary, now the University of Richmond, helped it become the Bethlehem Baptist Church. The church . . . — Map (db m25610) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Henrico — Fort Johnson
In the hours following the September 29, 1864, Federal triumph at Fort Harrison, 1,000 yards south of here, Confederate defenses stiffened. Two hundred Georgia infantrymen and Virginia artillerists filled Fort Johnson. Later in the morning they . . . — Map (db m32933) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Richmond — Battle at Meadow BridgeForcing a Crossing
On May 12, 1864, this crossing of the Chickahominy River was the scene of a sharp engagement between Union and Confederate cavalry The previous day, Gen. Philip Sheridan and his Union troopers fought and defeated Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his . . . — Map (db m15217) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Richmond — W-1 — Darbytown Road
During the Seven Days' Campaign, Maj. Gen. James Longstreet's and Maj. Gen. A. P. Hill's Confederate divisions moved east along Darbytown Road toward its junction with the Long Bridge Road. This junction is about three miles southwest of Riddell's . . . — Map (db m15921) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Richmond — E-6 — Outer Fortifications
The Exterior Line of Richmond's Civil War defenses crossed Brook Road near here. Occasional Union cavalry raids threatened from the north, making this portion of the city's elaborate earthen defenses especially significant. Union troops briefly . . . — Map (db m47370) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — HC-33 — Antioch Baptist Church
A chapel, built in 1772 at Boar Swamp, was used by Elijah Baker to gather people for worship. In 1776 the church was constituted as Boar Swamp Baptist Church, with Joshua Morris as the first pastor. In 1780 Joshua Morris and fourteen members from . . . — Map (db m73763) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — 37 — Battlefield of Seven Pines
On May 31, 1862, the Right Wing of the Confederate Forces under Joseph E. Johnston advanced Eastward from this point on both sides the Williamsburg Road to attack the left of McClellan's Army which held Seven Pines and was preparing to besiege . . . — Map (db m14245) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Sandston — PA-140 — Seven Days BattlesAllen's Farm
On 26 June 1862, Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan abandoned his plan to besiege Richmond and began his retreat to the James River. Gen. Robert E. Lee pursued, determined to destroy the Army of the Potomac. Just north of here at Allen's Farm, at 9:00 . . . — Map (db m15682) HM
Virginia (Henrico County), Varina — HC-30 — Galaxy
Irving L. Haggins, an African American, born in 1934, designed his one-of-a kind home in 1956. This self-taught architect and contractor built it in 1967. Inspired by modernist architect Frank Lloyd Wright's work, it combines unusual organic forms . . . — Map (db m53975) HM
Virginia (Isle of Wight County), Carrolton — Nike-Ajax Missile Radar Control Site N-75C
The Cold War and Nike-Ajax Base N-75 Here was located site N-75C (C for control) and the counterpart site N-75L (L for launch) was located at Carrollton Nike Park. The “Cold” War (1949-1990) is so named because no actual . . . — Map (db m36038) HM
Virginia (Isle of Wight County), Smithfield — Fort BoykinTrue Southerners Do and Dare — The 1862 Peninsula Campaign
True Southerners Do and Dare. The 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Directly in front of you is the entrance to Fort Boykin. Originally built in 1623 to protect the colonists against “Spaniards by sea and Indians by land” and called . . . — Map (db m2699) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Bacon's RebellionGreensprings Greenway — Interpretive Trail
In 1676 the colony became embroiled in the popular uprising known as Bacon's Rebellion. Frontier settlers whose homesteads were attacked by hostile Indians, asked Governor Berkeley's government for protection. Fearful and frustrated by the lack of . . . — Map (db m99078) HM
Virginia (James City County), Williamsburg — Real Estate
Early records tell of a land sale in 1636 being these 500 acres with “all howses...gardens, orchards, tenements.” The property passed from Thomas Crompe “of the Neck of Land” to Gershon Buck son of the Reverend Richard Buck . . . — Map (db m31075) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Mascot — OB-14 — Pamunkey Indians Attacked by Nathaniel Bacon
Although the Pamunkey Indians had been allies of the Virginia colonists since 1646, early in 1676 they were driven from their main town on the Pamunkey River by sympathizers of insurrectionist Nathaniel Bacon, and took refuge in Dragon Run Swamp. In . . . — Map (db m47170) HM
Virginia (King and Queen County), Stevensville — OB-6 — Where Dahlgren Died
Colonel Ulric Dahlgren, Federal officer, met death in the early morning, March 2, 1864, three hundred yards to the north. After the raid on Richmond, his force bivouaced here and, in breaking camp he fell to the fire of Confederate detachments and . . . — Map (db m17807) HM
Virginia (King William County), Aylett — O-18 — Cavalry Raids
Kilpatrick, coming from the east, burned Confederate stores here, May 5, 1863. Dahlgren, coming from Richmond, crossed the Mattapony here March 2, 1864. Sheridan, returning from his Richmond raid, was here, May 22-23, 1864, and on his Trevilian raid . . . — Map (db m17803) HM
Virginia (King William County), Central Garage — O-16 — Rumford Academy
Two miles east was Rumford Academy, established in 1804. It was one of the most noted Virginia schools of its time. — Map (db m25256) HM
Virginia (King William County), Mangohick — OC-20 — Mangohick Church
Referred to by William Byrd in 1732 as the New Brick Church, Mangohick Church was built circa 1730 as a chapel of ease for those who lived in remote areas of St. Margaret's Parish. Distinguished by its fine Flemish bond brickwork, Mangohick became . . . — Map (db m17790) HM
Virginia (King William County), Manquin — OC-30 — Headquarters of Opechancanough
Near here stood the town of Menmend, home of the paramount chief Opechancanough. During Powhatan's reign, Opechancanough was a king of the Pamunkey and a war chief of the Powhatans. He became paramount chief about 1629 when his brother Opitchipam . . . — Map (db m25245) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Ogg FarmRepulsed with Heavy Losses — The Battle of Trevilian Station
After breaking off the fighting of June 11, 1864, Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton’s cavalry division withdrew to a position near here. Gen. Matthew C. Butler’s South Carolinians spent the next morning preparing a stout defensive position along the . . . — Map (db m24552) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Civil War LynchburgSupplying Lee’s Army — Battle of Lynchburg
Established in 1786, Lynchburg was a thriving commercial center famous for its tobacco and manufacturing industries when Fort Sumter, South Carolina was bombarded in April 1861 and the Civil War began. Lynchburg’s Fair Grounds and Camp Davis . . . — Map (db m3935) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryNinth and Main Streets
The James River originates in the mountains to the west and flows through Lynchburg and Richmond before reaching the Chesapeake Bay. In 1757, the Lynch family built a ferry across the James River ahead of you at the foot of this hill; today, the . . . — Map (db m54490) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg HistoryCommerce Street and Horseford Road
Horseford Road is named for the nearby ford that Virginia Indians and early settlers used to cross the James River. During the 19th century, this area was home to tobacco factories, flour mills, and iron foundries. The large red brick building to . . . — Map (db m54493) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Pest House Medical Museum
This 1840’s white frame building was the medical office of Dr. John Jay Terrell. It was moved here in 1987 from Rock Castle Farm in Campbell County and has been restored to recreate medical science in the era of 1860 to 1900. These exhibits . . . — Map (db m74038) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Quaker Meeting HouseThe Battle Begins — Battle of Lynchburg
From here in June 1864, Confederate cavalrymen watched Gen. David Hunter’s Union army advance toward them on the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave). Hunter departed Lexington on June 14 and crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains near Peaks of Otter. . . . — Map (db m3928) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Glanders Stable
. . . — Map (db m74041) HM
Virginia, Lynchburg — Q6-20 — The Anne Spencer House1313 Pierce Street
This was the home of Edward Alexander and Anne Bannister Spencer from 1903 until her death on July 25, 1975. Born on February 6, 1882, in Henry County, Va. Anne Spencer was to receive national and international recognition as a poet. Published . . . — Map (db m74009) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), Chase City — Z-41 — Lunenburg County / Mecklenburg County
(Obverse) Lunenburg County Area 430 Square Miles Formed in 1746 from Brunswick. Named for King George II, who was also duke of Brunswick-Lunenburg. Tarleton passed though the county in 1781. (Reverse) Mecklenburg . . . — Map (db m31875) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Frank Leigh Robeson(1884-1974)
Student 1901-1904 Faculty Member 1904-1954 Head, Department of Physics 1923-1954 As a student at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virgnia Tech), Frank Leigh Robeson helped draw plans for many campus . . . — Map (db m43040) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Harvey Lee Price(1874-1951)
Faculty member 1900-1945 Head, Horticulture Department 1902-1908 Dean, School of Agriculture 1908-1945 An easy-going, amiable man, Harvey Lee Price served VPI for more than four decades after earning two degrees here. He moved quickly . . . — Map (db m41464) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG-24 — William Black
Just northeast stood the home of William Black, the founder of Blacksburg. In 1797, he laid out a 16-block grid and petitioned the Virginia General Assembly to incorporate a town here; the legislature approved his petition on 13 January 1798. On 4 . . . — Map (db m41436) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — Montgomery County Confederate Monument
To the memory of Montgomery’s sons who fell in the Lost Cause and to all the Confederate dead who lie beneath her soil. This monument is erected by her daughters 1861-1865 In this county lie the remains of 300 . . . — Map (db m41453) HM
Virginia (Nelson County), Piney River — The Scale HouseThe Virginia Blue Ridge Railway Trail
Since commerce began, the need has existed for an accurate method to determine the weight of bulk commodities. The rapid expansion of railroads in the middle of the 19th century merely exacerbated this problem. In St. Johnsbury, Vermont, . . . — Map (db m92929) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Providence Forge — W-22 — Chickahominy Indians
One mile south is the home of descendants of the Chickahominy Indians, a powerful tribe at the time of the settlement of Jamestown. Chickahominies were among the Indians who took Captain John Smith prisoner in December 1607. Currently two . . . — Map (db m16836) HM
Virginia (New Kent County), Quinton — E-12 — Capt. John Smith Captured
In Dec. 1607, while exploring the headwaters of the nearby Chickahominy River, Capt. John Smith and his party were captured by a hunting party consisting of members of the Paspaheghs, Chickahominies, Youghtanunds, Pamunkeys, Mattaponis, and . . . — Map (db m15678) HM
Virginia, Newport News — Newport News Victory Arch
1917 VICTORY 1918 Greetings with love to those who return A triumph with tears to those who sleep — Map (db m33955) HM
Virginia, Newport News — The Simon Reid Curtis House
Constructed c. 1896, this graceful frame structure served as the home of Simon Reid and Nannie Cooke Curtis and their two children. The eldest son of Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis of Endview, S.R. Curtis was born in North Carolina on June 16, 1863, . . . — Map (db m34001) HM
Virginia, Newport News — Two USCT HeroesFreedom in Their Bones
Two African American Civil War veterans, Pvt. Edward Diggs and Sgt. Anthony W. Poole, are buried here. Each enlisted in Co. G, 36th U.S. Colored Troops, in Yorktown. Blacks sought to enlist earlier in the war but were banned until after the . . . — Map (db m66890) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — Monticello Hotel, 1898
The Monticello Hotel, which opened at the corner of City Hall Avenue and Granby Street on September 27, 1898, was the largest and finest hotel in Norfolk for over 60 years. The hotel was built on filled land. By 1885 Town Back Creek had been filled . . . — Map (db m48238) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — Northumberland Courthouse Square
This site first patented in 1663 was the site of the first courthouse built c.1681. The present courthouse built in 1851 is the third on this site. — Map (db m76414) HM WM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — K-172 — Blackstone
Blackstone was first known as Blacks and Whites, after two rival late 18th-century taverns. One of these taverns, Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, still stands. The town was renamed for the English jurist . . . — Map (db m18879) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Jetersville — Z-48 — Nottoway County / Amelia County
(Obverse) Nottoway County Area 310 Square Miles Formed in 1788 from Amelia, and named for an Indian tribe. Tarleton passed through this county in 1781. Here lived William Hodges Mann, Governor of Virginia 1910-14. . . . — Map (db m18925) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Locust Grove — The Battle of Payne’s FarmThe Walking Trail
“The ground in my front for about 500 yards was thickly wooded and brushy, and beyond that was a cleared field owned by a man named Payne.” — Gen. Edward Johnson, CSA “On account of the density of the . . . — Map (db m43158) HM
Virginia (Orange County), Locust Grove — The Mine Run CampaignThe Battle of Payne’s Farm
“The brave officers and men of this division, attacked by a greatly superior force from an admirable position, turned upon him and drove him from the field, which he left strewn with arms, artillery and infantry ammunition, his dead and . . . — Map (db m42089) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Colquitt’s Salient Trail
The Colquitt’s Salient loop trail will lead you over ground involved with two of the most dramatic events of the Siege of Petersburg. On the walk to Colquitt’s Salient, you will shadow the advance of the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery during its . . . — Map (db m37410) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — PocahontasThe Revolutionary War
Positions in the Battle of Petersburg On 25 April 1781, this part of the community of Pocahontas served as the rear guard staging area for American Major General Frederick von Steuben’s Virginia militia in their defense of Petersburg against . . . — Map (db m26831) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Prelude to the Crater
“The mine is all finished, the powder in, the fuse all ready. I hope that the attack will be successful, for if it is, we shall have Petersburg in our possession.” - Col. Stephen M. Weld, 50th Massachusetts July 28, 1864 The . . . — Map (db m7054) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — QA-10 — St. Paul's Church
St. Paul's Church was built in 1856. Here Robert E. Lee and his staff worshipped during the siege of Petersburg, 1864-65. Lee attended the wedding of his son, W.H.F. Lee, in this church in 1867. Virginia Conservation & Development . . . — Map (db m17625) HM
Virginia (Pittsylvania County), Chatham — L-62 — Rawley White Martin Residence
Here stands Morea, the home of Lt. Col. Rawley W. Martin (1835-1912), a physician who served with Pittsylvania County soldiers during the Civil War in the 53d Virginia Infantry Regiment of Brig. Gen. Lewis A. Armistead's brigade. At Gettysburg, Pa., . . . — Map (db m66057) HM
Virginia, Portsmouth — Norfolk Naval Shipyard“Korea - 1965” — Path of History Portsmouth, VA
The outbreak of hostilities in Korea in 1950 increased the workload once again. The shipyard completed work on more than 1,250 naval vessels and also built its last two warships, the wooden-hulled minesweepers Bold and Bulwark. . . . — Map (db m76835) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Farmville — F-66 — Slate Hill Plantation
To the west is the estate of Nathaniel Venable (1733-1804), Slate Hill Plantation. He was a prominent citizen of Prince Edward County, serving in the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1766 to 1768. During the Revolutionary War, he was a member of the . . . — Map (db m31343) HM
Virginia (Prince Edward County), Meherrin — Meherrin Station“Wrapt in Smoke” — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling . . . — Map (db m19257) HM
Virginia, Richmond — SA-30 — Ampthill
A short distance south is Ampthill House, built by Henry Cary about 1730 on the south side of James River. It was the home of Colonel Archibald Cary, Revolutionary leader, and was removed to its present site by a member of the Cary family. — Map (db m20529) HM
Virginia, Richmond — 12 — Auction HousesRichmond Slave Trail
There were several dozen such houses in Shockoe Bottom, typically selling human “goods” along with corn, coffee, and other commodities. Some sales were part of a larger business; other auctioneers dealt exclusively in slaves. Most slave . . . — Map (db m41822) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Brown’s Island
Brown’s Island is named for Elijah Brown who acquired it in 1826. Brown came from Rhode Island in 1811 to be a gunsmith at the Virginia Manufactory of Arms. In 1818, he entered the Public Guard, which was stationed at the Manufactory, and served . . . — Map (db m24105) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Colonel Thomas Stegge, Jr.
This tablet is dedicated to the memory of Colonel Thomas Stegge, Jr. proprietor of the Falls Plantation, 1659-70 first land-patentee permanently to reside at the falls of James River; uncle and benefactor of William Byrd I., . . . — Map (db m30357) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Commercial Block1211-1217 East Cary Street
This commercial row of warehouses and retail structures was built immediately after the Civil War, in 1866, to serve the nearby James River and Kanawha Canal. The Doric colonnade framing the doorways and windows on this building was produced in . . . — Map (db m40668) HM
Virginia, Richmond — SA-60 — Forest Hill Park
This 105-acre site was part of William Byrd III's vast 1700s holdings along the James River. In 1836, Holden Rhodes (1799-1857), noted jurist and early president of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad Company, purchased the property, named it . . . — Map (db m28854) HM
Virginia, Richmond — George Wythe
Site of the home of George Wythe, Signer of the Declaration of Independence — Map (db m47016) HM
Virginia, Richmond — 6 — Great Ship LockCaptain John Smith’s Adventures on the James — www.johnsmithtrail.org
James River Park System Despite the presence of a large Indian village just below the falls—or perhaps because of good relations with the local ruler Parahunt and his father Powhatan—Capt. Francis West built a fort near . . . — Map (db m23706) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Horseshoe Shops
In the late 1800s, horse-drawn carts, wagons, and carriages dominated city streets, and southern agriculture still largely depended on the power of horses and mules. To meet the demand for horse and mule shoes, Tredegar began selling machine-made . . . — Map (db m24137) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Industrial Recycling
Iron companies in the late 1800s began melting down scrap metal from old machines and parts to make new products, just as we recycle materials like aluminum cans today. The “car wheel crusher” that stood here broke up old railroad car . . . — Map (db m24405) HM
Virginia, Richmond — James River & Kanawha Canal
The James River and Kanawha Canal was completed as far as Buchanan in 1854. The canal provided a continuous navigable waterway from Tidewater to Buchanan, a distance of 197 miles. Consisting of ninety lift locks and a total lift of seven hundred and . . . — Map (db m23870) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Manchester Canal
The still water in front of you once flowed freely to the right. It once spun the water wheels and turbines of several paper companies (like the one to your left), ...grist mills (where the grain elevator is now to your right) ...and an . . . — Map (db m30068) HM
Virginia, Richmond — 2 — Mechanics of SlaveryRichmond Slave Trail
“But the circumstance which struck us most forcibly was how it was possible for such a number of human beings to exist, packed up and wedged together as tight as they could cram, in low cells three feet high, the greater part of which, except . . . — Map (db m41871) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Pipeline Trail
The stairs below you lead to a narrow catwalk that rests on top of a large pipe. It’s a wonderful place to watch nature and escape the city for even just a few minutes. Located underneath the rail line, it follows the river and crosses above . . . — Map (db m73910) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Powers-Taylor Building13 South 13th Street
A handsome cast-iron storefront ornaments the ground floor of this row of buildings at 9-15 South 13th Street. Probably built during the 1880s, these structures housed a cigar manufactury and commission merchants' offices. For over 80 years parts of . . . — Map (db m68765) HM
Virginia, Richmond — President’s MansionWhite House of the Confederacy
This house was the executive mansion of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his family from August 1861 until April 2, 1865. A West Point graduate, former U.S. senator from Mississippi, and former U.S. secretary of war, Davis was the . . . — Map (db m16271) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Quality Row
During the 1920's this block of East Leigh Street was known as Quality Row. Upper middle class African-American families lived in these homes. Their neighborhood, Jackson Ward, became the most enterprising African-American business district in the . . . — Map (db m29354) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Raceways
As you explore the grounds of the Tredegar Iron Works, you will occasionally see evidence of underground networks. Below the ground are numerous “raceways,” tunnels of stone and brick, which carried water downhill from the canal to . . . — Map (db m24209) HM
Virginia, Richmond — SA-89 — Richmond's Civil War Hospitals
During the Civil War, overwhelming numbers of sick and wounded soldiers came to Richmond seeking treatment at one of the city's dozens of Confederate medical facilities, the best known of which was Chimborazo Hospital, established on this site in . . . — Map (db m72991) HM
Virginia, Richmond — The "Richmond 34"
On February 22, 1960 Thirty-four Virginia Union University students staged a sit-in protest against segregation in the restaurants of Thalhimers department store, which stood on this site. Richmond city police arrested the students for trespassing, . . . — Map (db m28850) HM
Virginia, Richmond — SA-109 — The Old State Capitol
In 1780, Virginia’s capital was moved from Williamsburg to Richmond to increase its accessibility and avert British attack by sea. On this corner, in commercial buildings confiscated from Loyalists, the General Assembly met until 1788. Here Thomas . . . — Map (db m82684) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Tredegar Rolling Mills
The Tredegar Iron Works had several rolling mills, which produced rails, bars to be made into spikes, connecting plates for rails, merchant bar iron, and plates. The Tredegar rolling mill’s most famous work was the plates made for the ironclad . . . — Map (db m24406) HM
Virginia, Richmond — SA-49 — Virginia House
Architectural elements of the Priory of Saint Sepulcher (Warwick Priory), originally built more than 900 years ago, were transplanted from England to Richmond in 1925 by American diplomat Alexander Wilbourne Weddell and his wife, Virginia. . . . — Map (db m20533) HM
Virginia, Richmond — What’s That?
Extreme Left Federal Reserve Bank — This impressive steel and glass building rises 26 stories. It houses the Fifth District headquarters of the Federal Reserve System that regulates money supply in the southeast. Only 51% . . . — Map (db m46973) HM
Virginia (Rockingham County), Lynnwood — Port Republic Battlefield
Here, June 9, 1862 Gen. T. J. "Stonewall Jackson" defeated Gen. J. Shield’s vanguard advancing from Elkton under Gen. R. O. Tyler Federals engaged, 4500 killed, wounded, and missing, 551, captured, 450 Confederates engaged, 6000 . . . — Map (db m14346) HM
Virginia (Southampton County), Courtland — The Rebecca Vaughan House
A work in progress - The Nat Turner Era Donated to the Southampton County Historical Society by Jack and Ina Gee Pittman. Its historical significance in our county history: The last house on the insurrection scene in which anyone was . . . — Map (db m60734) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Chancellorsville — Battle of Chancellorsville
On May 2-3, 1863, the Army of Northern Virginia under Lee defeated the Army of the Potomac under Hooker on this field. “Stonewall” Jackson, Lee’s great lieutenant was mortally wounded in the flank attack on Hooker’s right which resulted . . . — Map (db m14514) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Spotsylvania — Confederate CounterattackThe Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse
Confederate General Richard S. Ewell responded quickly to Upton’s breakthrough at Dole’s Salient. Wading into the melee, he shouted to the outnumbered defenders: “Don’t run, boys. I will have enough men here in five minutes to eat up every . . . — Map (db m66232) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Spotsylvania — The Fredericksburg RoadThe Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse
The Fredericksburg Road, on your left, was the Army of the Potomac’s main line of supply during the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. Each day hundreds of wagons lumbered down the road, bringing tons of food, arms, and ammunition to the insatiable . . . — Map (db m66236) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Falmouth — A Changed Landscape
The sketch below, done by a Union soldier, shows the landscape in front of you as it looked in 1863. During the Civil War, this was the rear of Chatham—a functional space unadorned with gardens or architectural finery. Union soldiers had cut . . . — Map (db m35387) HM
Virginia (Stafford County), Stafford — The Daniel Bridge
The Daniel Bridge first appears in county records on a deed map dated 1837. The bridge had three sandstone piers, the remnants of which are still visible today and which likely supported a wood superstructure. The bridge likely took its name from . . . — Map (db m70401) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Claremont — Quioughcohanach Indians
May 5, 1607 The English settlers visited here the principal village of the Quioughcohanach Indians This marker is erected by The Colonel William Allen Chapter N.S.D.A.R. 1930 — Map (db m35941) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — K-301 — Jamestown Ferry
Near this site on February 26, 1925, the ferry Captain John Smith began the first automobile ferry service crossing the James River. Captain Albert F. Jester was the inaugurator and owner/operator until it was sold to the Commonwealth of . . . — Map (db m76778) HM
Virginia (Surry County), Surry — Surry County War Memorial
(Center) “At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.” Erected A.D. 1947 (Left) 1917 - 1918 To the members of the Armed Forces of World War I from Surry County . . . — Map (db m36056) WM
Virginia, Virginia Beach — Seal of the City of Virginia Beach
The Cape Henry Lighthouse & Cross in the seal's center symbolize the beginning of Virginia Beach as well as the United States. The bright sky, sunshine, blue water & sandy beach indicate the importance of tourism & the pleasure of nature available. . . . — Map (db m48338) HM
Virginia, Williamsburg — Alumni of the College of William and MaryProminent in Establishing the American Union
Richard Bland, student in 1725, the first to announce in a formal pamphlet that England and the American colonies were co-ordinate kingdoms under a common crown, 1764. Dabney Carr, student in 1762, patron of the resolutions in 1775 . . . — Map (db m66922) HM
Virginia (York County), Yorktown — Colonial Grace ChurchYork-Hampton Parish
"A national shrine at the cradle of the Republic" Erected 1697 • Burned 1814 • Partially rebuilt 1823 • Rebuilt 1926 These are the original walls, built of marl. The bell was cast in London in 1725. Broken during fire of 1814. Recast in . . . — Map (db m83887) HM
Virginia (York County), Yorktown — Indian Field Creek
The ground to the south along this creek was the home of the Chiskiack Indians, a small tribe whose leader was a "werowance," or petty chief, under Powhatan. As the English began to settle this area, about 1630, the Chiskiacks moved across the York . . . — Map (db m25806) HM
Virginia (York County), Yorktown — St. Simon’s Headquarters
The Marquis de St. Simon commanded three regiments of French infantry (Agenois, Gatinois and Touraine) brought to Virginia from the West Indies by De Grasse. After the Siege they returned to the “Islands” leaving their sick and wounded . . . — Map (db m11152) HM
Virginia (York County), Yorktown — York River Ecosystem
Plants and animals in the York River and its watershed provide many ecosystem services. Forests reduce sediment runoff and excess nutrients, and provide nesting sites for bald eagles, osprey, and herons. Underwater grass beds sustain the young of . . . — Map (db m64618) HM
Virginia (York County), Yorktown — Yorktown's Tea Party
While the Boston Tea Party of December 1773 is famous, a lesser known protest against the Tea Act also occurred in Virginia. On November 7, 1774 some concerned citizens of York County openly boarded a ship in the harbor and dumped two small chests . . . — Map (db m64635) HM
West Virginia (Fayette County), Gauley Bridge — Battles For The BridgesGauley Bridge - A Town in Between
When the war began, most residents of this part of present-day West Virginia were Confederate in their sympathies. Both Confederate and Union forces considered the wooden covered bridge here strategically important because the James River and . . . — Map (db m34373) HM
West Virginia (Hampshire County), Romney — Camp WashingtonStrategic Position
In 1861, during the early part of the Civil War, Union Gen. Benjamin F. Kelley established Camp Washington here on the Washington Bottom Farm to secure the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in this area. Located between Romney and Cumberland, Maryland, . . . — Map (db m81398) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), Dunbar — Andrew & Charles Lewis March
The nearby highway is part of route traversing W. Va. from Lewisburg to Point Pleasant memorialized by the state to commemorate the march of the American Colonial army of 1,200 men led by Andrew & Charles Lewis. After a month's march this army . . . — Map (db m81415) HM
West Virginia (Kanawha County), St. Albans — George Washington
Acquired 2,000 acres of this land by a patent dated April 12, 1784, issued to him by Benjamin Harrison, Governor of Virginia. Washington obtained this tract upon a survey made by John Floyd, April 18, 1784 with a land warrant issued to Charles . . . — Map (db m81412) HM
West Virginia (Monroe County), Sweet Springs — Gov. John Floyd
Near here is grave of John Floyd, 1783-1837. Governor of Virginia, 1830-1834; champion of the Oregon Country and of States' Rights; leader in the formation of the Whig Party; bitter foe of administration of President Andrew Jackson. — Map (db m34487) HM
West Virginia (Pocahontas County), Hillsboro — 22nd Virginia InfantryC.S.A. — Col. George S. Patton
Originally placed behind a hill to the rear, the 22nd Va. was moved here, in front of the Confederate artillery, where they overlooked the highway. Companies A, E, and I were later detached and sent to reinforce Col. Jackson on the left flank. Both . . . — Map (db m34383) HM
West Virginia (Pocahontas County), Marlinton — Marlinton
(Front): The old Seneca Indian Trail from New York to Georgia may be seen at this point. During the French and Indian War, 18 settlers lost lives in vicinity. During Indian raids in 1779, 13 were killed and many were taken captive. . . . — Map (db m34402) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Cheat Bridge — Shavers Fork
Mountaintop Watershed Near this point the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike crossed the Shavers Fork of the Cheat River, going over Cheat Mountain at a high point of almost 4000 feet at White Top. The Shavers Fork forms a high elevation . . . — Map (db m58251) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Valley Head — Lee's Headquarters
One-half mile east is the site of Gen. R. E. Lee's Valley Mountain Headquarters where he camped with his troops from Aug. 6 to Sept. 20, 1861 while he directed the ill-fated Cheat Mountain Campaign. — Map (db m34366) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — Artist PointGrand Canyon of the Yellowstone River
A Photographer's Canvas Artist Point offers a magnificent view of Lower Falls plunging 308 feet (93 meters). Framed by canyon walls, forest, and sky, the picturesque scene has been photographed countless times for more than a century. . . . — Map (db m45265) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — Waterfall Makers
Here the Yellowstone River plunges 308 feet over the Lower Falls. Hot springs have weakened the rock jut downstream, where you might see several geysers spouting into the river. As falling water pounds the thermally softened rock, it continues to . . . — Map (db m45297) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — Yellowstone National Park
Yellowstone has been designated a U.S. Biosphere Reserve, a World Heritage Site, and is one of the largest national parks in the lower 48 states. Its boundaries protect over 10,000 geysers,hot springs, mudpots, and steam vents-the earth's . . . — Map (db m45315) HM
Wyoming (Teton County), Yellowstone National Park — Excelsior Geyser
In the 1880s Excelsior Geyser erupted in bursts 50 to 300 feet high. The thermal violence formed the jagged crater and apparently ruptured the geyser’s underground system, causing eruptions to cease after 1890. On September 14, 1985, Excelsior . . . — Map (db m45329) HM

3164 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 2964
Paid Advertisement